PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

WingNut60 15th Jul 2021 01:04


Originally Posted by blubak (Post 11078842)
Well hopefully that is true. I think most of us can cope with mask wearing & less people in ur home if it avoids lockdown.
1 big difference between us & nsw is that here in vic the % of people that comply is very high,i guess thats due to what we went through last year.

That's a very polite way of explaining the difference.

But similar here in W.A.
I went down to the local Coles/Woolies late Sunday afternoon just 8 hrs before the mask requirements were lifted.
Rough scan - 99.9% compliance.
That in an area with 3 cases 2 weeks ago.

I guess that most people can see that while wearing masks is massively unpopular and unpleasant, it's a burden that you just have to bear.

SHVC 15th Jul 2021 01:08

Meanwhile in SY, no gives a rats a$$. people flouting the rules pushing them to their limits not doing as they're told. Early on it was the opposite outbreaks were handled well, whats changed with the ppl?

dr dre 15th Jul 2021 01:39


Originally Posted by WingNut60 (Post 11078863)
I guess that most people can see that while wearing masks is massively unpopular and unpleasant, it's a burden that you just have to bear.

This will annoy the libertarians amongst us, but I solidly support mandatory masks at least indoors until vaccination levels are high enough.

A slight inconvenience but nothing compared to the inconvenience of lockdowns, even half baked ones like Sydney.

Every traveller in an Australian airport or aircraft this year has had to wear a mask the whole time but that didn’t dampen the enthusiasm for domestic travel at all. Make it mandatory across the board and people will just get on with life.

WingNut60 15th Jul 2021 01:40


Originally Posted by SHVC (Post 11078865)
.................. whats changed with the ppl?

Underlying supercilious egotism as scattered liberally through the above 5000 posts and every press conference that Beryl has ever made.

SOPS 15th Jul 2021 02:52

Can’t Gladys just do it properly, and lock the place down? A painter going from Sydney to the regions to paint a house is NOT essential and not a lockdown. It however, does cause spread.

Ladloy 15th Jul 2021 03:08


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 11078868)
This will annoy the libertarians amongst us, but I solidly support mandatory masks at least indoors until vaccination levels are high enough.

A slight inconvenience but nothing compared to the inconvenience of lockdowns, even half baked ones like Sydney.

Every traveller in an Australian airport or aircraft this year has had to wear a mask the whole time but that didn’t dampen the enthusiasm for domestic travel at all. Make it mandatory across the board and people will just get on with life.

A purist Libertarian would support mask mandates. The Libertarian ideology is basically to be able to do what you want if it doesn't affect others. I'm no Libertarian but it always annoys me that Libertarianism gets confused with anarchism.

cLeArIcE 15th Jul 2021 04:04


Originally Posted by blubak (Post 11078842)
1 big difference between us & nsw is that here in vic the % of people that comply is very high,i guess thats due to what we went through last year.

Honestly, the last little Lock down Melbourne had I observed the complete opposite. Most people were Just going about their normal life irrespective of any restrictions. I Was even surprised to see many of the crew that were devout followers of the restrictions last time, not really care anymore. However, there was certainly an element of common sense being applied. E.g. wear a mask around people, don't go visit granny if sick, isolate after a test etc. I couldn't care less if my neighbour has his son over for dinner that lives 5.5km away. But don't have a massive party FFS. Can't we all apply a bit of common sense and get on with life?
On another note, great to see most of the crew rolling their sleeves up and getting the big V. Only met one girl that didn't want it (Incase she lost her medical and couldn't get a payout from her insurance etc). Honestly didn't know what to tell her.

Tucknroll 15th Jul 2021 04:11

The main issue in NSW is the low testing rates.
went to a Covid test in a ‘red zone’ today and there was no queue, only two other cars on site.

I think the actual rate of Covid in the community is much higher than the daily numbers would suggest.

WingNut60 15th Jul 2021 04:20


Originally Posted by Ladloy (Post 11078881)
A purist Libertarian would support mask mandates. The Libertarian ideology is basically to be able to do what you want if it doesn't affect others. I'm no Libertarian but it always annoys me that Libertarianism gets confused with anarchism.

EVERYONE hates wearing masks. That's not the problem.

The problem is with those who are opposed to being TOLD to wear masks.
And many of those are opposed to just about everything.
And that is definitely a form of anarchy.

ScepticalOptomist 15th Jul 2021 04:36


Originally Posted by Tucknroll (Post 11078894)
The main issue in NSW is the low testing rates.
went to a Covid test in a ‘red zone’ today and there was no queue, only two other cars on site.

I think the actual rate of Covid in the community is much higher than the daily numbers would suggest.

If everyone is locked in their homes, the testing rate means didly!!

blubak 15th Jul 2021 04:55


Originally Posted by cLeArIcE (Post 11078892)
Honestly, the last little Lock down Melbourne had I observed the complete opposite. Most people were Just going about their normal life irrespective of any restrictions. I Was even surprised to see many of the crew that were devout followers of the restrictions last time, not really care anymore. However, there was certainly an element of common sense being applied. E.g. wear a mask around people, don't go visit granny if sick, isolate after a test etc. I couldn't care less if my neighbour has his son over for dinner that lives 5.5km away. But don't have a massive party FFS. Can't we all apply a bit of common sense and get on with life?
On another note, great to see most of the crew rolling their sleeves up and getting the big V. Only met one girl that didn't want it (Incase she lost her medical and couldn't get a payout from her insurance etc). Honestly didn't know what to tell her.

Common sense is the real hurdle here particularly for those in the community who dont believe any of this is real or the rules dont apply to them.
Like you say,how hard is it to put a mask on if required to do so or stay away from those you love if you dont feel well.
I worked in the airline industry for 40 + years & know full well the fears of my x workmates still there.
The situation the country finds itself in yet again can be attributed to the selfish people in our world i.e 3 X furniture removalists.

SOPS 15th Jul 2021 04:56

Reports here in the West that Victoria will lock down at midnight.


Are the going to jail these removal people? Seems like they have caused a big mess.

blubak 15th Jul 2021 04:59


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 11078903)
Reports here in the West that Victoria will lock down at midnight.

Guardian has just reported the same.

Green.Dot 15th Jul 2021 05:12


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 11078903)
Are the going to jail these removal people?

It’s Australia. Of course not.

A small $$ fine that they will never pay should suffice. :ugh::mad:

cloudsurfng 15th Jul 2021 05:32


Originally Posted by SOPS (Post 11078903)
Reports here in the West that Victoria will lock down at midnight.


Are the going to jail these removal people? Seems like they have caused a big mess.


if they are white boomers, no chance. Anyone else, I guess it’s possible.

jrfsp 15th Jul 2021 06:04

SA closing to VIC and not reopening to SE QLD.

Should change this thread to "All borders to close"

Check_Thrust 15th Jul 2021 06:13


Originally Posted by Tucknroll (Post 11078894)
The main issue in NSW is the low testing rates.
went to a Covid test in a ‘red zone’ today and there was no queue, only two other cars on site.

I think the actual rate of Covid in the community is much higher than the daily numbers would suggest.

Low testing rate? Over 58,000 in 24 hours equals low (713 tests per 100,000)? If you want low look at Tasmania where the premier declared 1,500 tests in one day was "very high" (277 tests per 100,000).

Not saying your second statement is wrong though.


https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....cfbdfe46eb.jpg

Foxxster 15th Jul 2021 07:32

Victorian media conference at 4.45 think we all know what is coming

5 day state wide Victorian lockdown announced by Chairman Dan. Confirmed.

SHVC 15th Jul 2021 07:54


Originally Posted by Icarus2001 (Post 11078840)

This is very true, hate to say I told you so.

Like I said this madness needs to stop.

Tucknroll 15th Jul 2021 08:07


Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist (Post 11078898)
If everyone is locked in their homes, the testing rate means didly!!

Who is locked in their homes? I met a florist two days ago who thought they were an essential worker.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:13.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.