PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific-90/)
-   -   All borders to reopen. (https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/632861-all-borders-reopen.html)

fl dutchman 21st Feb 2021 23:45


Originally Posted by dr dre (Post 10994723)
Well most of the crowd were fervently supporting a player whoís made some stupid statements on vaccines recently so not really surprised they had that reaction.

In better news a study out from the UK showing 95% of over 70s have had a vaccine dose, the number who have declined one despite being offered? Only 1%.


Boris in the UK is now saying All over 50s will be offered at least one vaccination by 15 April. Also All adults will be offered one vaccination by July, Meaning all adults will have been offered Two vaccines by Sept/Oct. (About 66 million population)

From what I hear Australia will have vaccinated all adults by Sept/Oct.

So does that mean by say October 21 the Australian borders will then open to international travelers from the UK. Allowing people to see there Sons, Daughters, Grandchildren and Parents again. Or is the current situation going to go on forever.

1A_Please 22nd Feb 2021 00:52


Originally Posted by fl dutchman (Post 10995036)
Boris in the UK is now saying All over 50s will be offered at least one vaccination by 15 April. Also All adults will be offered one vaccination by July, Meaning all adults will have been offered Two vaccines by Sept/Oct. (About 66 million population)

From what I hear Australia will have vaccinated all adults by Sept/Oct.

So does that mean by say October 21 the Australian borders will then open to international travelers from the UK. Allowing people to see there Sons, Daughters, Grandchildren and Parents again. Or is the current situation going to go on forever.

It will depend on a few things.
One thing will be green-zone routes. This will be end-to-end flights with no transit passengers joining along the way. For example, SQ will not be able to use its SIN hub to have pax join and leave the flights to and from other destinations. Obviously this would favour someone like QF who can operate LHR-PER non-stop. BA or VS could also do the same. Airlines like EK or SQ that rely on exploiting their well-located hubs to fill their planes will continue to be in a world of pain.
It is also likely that pre-flight testing will also remain so before boarding airlines will require proof of vaccination along with a negative test within the previous 72 hours. Hopefully 14 days quarantine won't be required on arrival or the whole process is doomed.

Realistically, Australia has been very cautious throughout the whole pandemic and I wouldn't be planning on int'l flights before 1 January 2022.


Dannyboy39 22nd Feb 2021 05:06

I really donít get the need for testing if youíve had the vaccine. Not saying youíre wrong, but if youíre fully protected, what are you looking for? A new variant?

morno 22nd Feb 2021 05:30


Originally Posted by Dannyboy39 (Post 10995098)
I really donít get the need for testing if youíve had the vaccine. Not saying youíre wrong, but if youíre fully protected, what are you looking for? A new variant?

The vaccine wonít entirely stop you getting covid from my understanding, itíll just reduce the effects of getting it. I guess while itís still so prevalent worldwide, the chance is still there that you can be carrying it.

Maybe when numbers have come right down worldwide, the risk of an inbound traveller carrying it will be greatly reduced, then the need for pre-flight testing will become unnecessary.

PoppaJo 22nd Feb 2021 06:18

1/3 Cairns is on Jobkeeper. This wonderful place is on the verge of collapse.

Annastacia nowhere to be seen.


Chris2303 22nd Feb 2021 06:42


Originally Posted by Dannyboy39 (Post 10995098)
I really donít get the need for testing if youíve had the vaccine. Not saying youíre wrong, but if youíre fully protected, what are you looking for? A new variant?

Because you aren't necessarily fully protected especially, as you say, against mutations

jrfsp 22nd Feb 2021 08:05


Originally Posted by PoppaJo (Post 10995135)
1/3 Cairns is on Jobkeeper. This wonderful place is on the verge of collapse.

Annastacia nowhere to be seen.

https://twitter.com/ABCthedrum/statu...​​

TBH Cairns has been in decline for years, while its sad, it needs to reinvent itself as a city to live in, not just for holidays. Even with domestic travel, it wont make up for the lack of international tourists. The spending habits are vastly different.

Dannyboy39 22nd Feb 2021 08:05


Originally Posted by morno (Post 10995118)
The vaccine won’t entirely stop you getting covid from my understanding, it’ll just reduce the effects of getting it. I guess while it’s still so prevalent worldwide, the chance is still there that you can be carrying it.

Maybe when numbers have come right down worldwide, the risk of an inbound traveller carrying it will be greatly reduced, then the need for pre-flight testing will become unnecessary.

And here you have ladies and gentlemen the reason why foreign traveller quarantines will continue seemingly indefinitely and exactly what I predicted would happen. The purpose of the vaccine is to protect against severe disease, not necessarily mild infection. If this policy comes in, the world will never reopen. We are only finding the Kent variant for example, because the UK has half of the world's genomic testing. Seemingly a Nigerian variant was found around Christmas, but you never hear about it because no one is looking for it.

Hypothetical situation - I have a booking from LHR-DXB-BNE from 6 Dec 2021 (FWIW I have) - I have had two doses of the vaccine, as have all Australians who want one. I then present with asymptomatic Covid-19 which the vaccine is protecting me from getting mildly ill. I have to shell out £150 for a test too, which I can afford, but clearly don't want to pay out. Who am I endangering?

Viruses mutate - that is what they do. All vaccines, albeit some less so, protect against disease, but all protect against severe disease. I don't mind getting a little bit sick as long as I don't end up in hospital clearly.

currawong 22nd Feb 2021 09:14

Hypothetical situation -

Get yourself a fundamental understanding of how vaccines work.

:ok:

patty50 22nd Feb 2021 09:21

Hypothetically if someone was desperate to come for the Ashes they might try their luck convincing whoever they can that itís in everyoneís best interest that the rules change to accommodate them.

We donít let other communicable diseases rip through society just because we have vaccines.

KRviator 22nd Feb 2021 11:42


Originally Posted by patty50 (Post 10995248)
We donít let other communicable diseases rip through society just because we have vaccines.

Just preventable ones. Smoking and lung cancer for example...

Dannyboy39 22nd Feb 2021 11:55


Originally Posted by patty50 (Post 10995248)
We donít let other communicable diseases rip through society just because we have vaccines.

Iíve read this back three times and I havenít a clue what youíre trying to convince.

Dannyboy39 22nd Feb 2021 12:13


Originally Posted by currawong (Post 10995235)
Hypothetical situation -

Get yourself a fundamental understanding of how vaccines work.

:ok:

I have a fair understanding - they intend to prevent severe disease and in this case significantly reduce transmission. Am I wrong?

BA_Baracas 22nd Feb 2021 16:37


Originally Posted by patty50 (Post 10995248)
Hypothetically if someone was desperate to come for the Ashes they might try their luck convincing whoever they can that itís in everyoneís best interest that the rules change to accommodate them.

We donít let other communicable diseases rip through society just because we have vaccines.



So what metric are you waiting for to allow international travel again?
Personally, I have no need or desire to travel to Oz anymore, but I donít quite get what your strategy is.

Zero COVID cases? If so youíre never gonna see international travel again.
The vaccine will prevent severe disease, but wonít stop transmission.
If full vaccination is not good enough for you then what is?

There will be future mutations, nothing can be done about that and this virus is going nowhere. Either we learn to live with it, or life even close to what we knew, is over.

Personally, Iíd like to learn to live with it. Life as it is right now is not for me

SHVC 22nd Feb 2021 20:43

That’s it BA! Each state premier (except Gladys) have installed fear about this virus for their political gain. Now the vaccine is rolling out there must be a common ground for acceptable level of the virus, as there is for others. The problem is the baby boomers and bogans that have all this fear inside them will let those same politicians know. It will be interesting to see what rhetoric McGoose pushes after his March election. Will he stick hard to zero cases then we’ll WA f$&ked royally as they have no work force. I think WA is f$&kef royally anyway as the baby boomers and bogans there will not change their thought process about the virus. Queen P up on the North well her actions are being seen now and her carnage is becoming very apparent everyday, I wonder if she pushed her CMO to make those comments about not realizing that so many ppl travel etc, surely a Dr couldn’t be that stupid!

Going Nowhere 22nd Feb 2021 21:49

Take a trip up to FNQ and have a look at the effects of the lack of tourism.

CNS is deserted. Itís quite sad to see and itíll take a very long time to restore the confidence of travellers from the Southern states. Theyíre the ones who spend the big $$$ domestically.

Global Aviator 22nd Feb 2021 22:10

Yep borders need to come down and concentrate on the national approach.

2021 should be a booming year for domestic tourism. VIC/NSW snow fields for winter, NT/QLD for the dry, remote Australia, WA so much to offer, Tassie.

Aus has it all, no not ideal as people like me love overseas travel but for now Aus will do, open the borders, keep them open and promote AUSTRALIAN DOMESTIC TOURISM.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was 22nd Feb 2021 23:18

There's a reason people didn't holiday in Australia pre-COVID, and it hasn't gone away. It's farkin expensive!! Especially so if you have a family and are tied to peak times such as school holidays etc. in an environment where you are a captive market.

Global Aviator 22nd Feb 2021 23:28


Originally Posted by Traffic_Is_Er_Was (Post 10995811)
There's a reason people didn't holiday in Australia pre-COVID, and it hasn't gone away. It's farkin expensive!! Especially so if you have a family and are tied to peak times such as school holidays etc. in an environment where you are a captive market.

I certainly agree, however this year there ainít many other options. Stay home or travel domestically (yes even in your own backyard). School holidays will be interesting! Now if only everything apart from the airfares were more affordable! People will still travel.

blubak 23rd Feb 2021 02:26


Originally Posted by Global Aviator (Post 10995782)
Yep borders need to come down and concentrate on the national approach.

2021 should be a booming year for domestic tourism. VIC/NSW snow fields for winter, NT/QLD for the dry, remote Australia, WA so much to offer, Tassie.

Aus has it all, no not ideal as people like me love overseas travel but for now Aus will do, open the borders, keep them open and promote AUSTRALIAN DOMESTIC TOURISM.

Very hard on the asian countries that rely so much on australian tourists but for now to keep us safe & as covid free as possible & to support our domestic tourism the dollars we have in our pockets need to be spent in our own backyard.
There are so many great destinations in every state that can be enjoyed & right now the places & people that rely on tourism need & want our business.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53.


Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.