Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 15th Jul 2021, 00:39
  #5921 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,350
Received 464 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by WingNut60
I guess that most people can see that while wearing masks is massively unpopular and unpleasant, it's a burden that you just have to bear.
This will annoy the libertarians amongst us, but I solidly support mandatory masks at least indoors until vaccination levels are high enough.

A slight inconvenience but nothing compared to the inconvenience of lockdowns, even half baked ones like Sydney.

Every traveller in an Australian airport or aircraft this year has had to wear a mask the whole time but that didn’t dampen the enthusiasm for domestic travel at all. Make it mandatory across the board and people will just get on with life.
dr dre is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 00:40
  #5922 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 72
Posts: 896
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by SHVC
.................. whats changed with the ppl?
Underlying supercilious egotism as scattered liberally through the above 5000 posts and every press conference that Beryl has ever made.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 01:52
  #5923 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,912
Received 200 Likes on 67 Posts
Can’t Gladys just do it properly, and lock the place down? A painter going from Sydney to the regions to paint a house is NOT essential and not a lockdown. It however, does cause spread.
SOPS is online now  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 02:08
  #5924 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 669
Received 156 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
This will annoy the libertarians amongst us, but I solidly support mandatory masks at least indoors until vaccination levels are high enough.

A slight inconvenience but nothing compared to the inconvenience of lockdowns, even half baked ones like Sydney.

Every traveller in an Australian airport or aircraft this year has had to wear a mask the whole time but that didn’t dampen the enthusiasm for domestic travel at all. Make it mandatory across the board and people will just get on with life.
A purist Libertarian would support mask mandates. The Libertarian ideology is basically to be able to do what you want if it doesn't affect others. I'm no Libertarian but it always annoys me that Libertarianism gets confused with anarchism.
Ladloy is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 03:04
  #5925 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 274
Received 194 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by blubak
1 big difference between us & nsw is that here in vic the % of people that comply is very high,i guess thats due to what we went through last year.
Honestly, the last little Lock down Melbourne had I observed the complete opposite. Most people were Just going about their normal life irrespective of any restrictions. I Was even surprised to see many of the crew that were devout followers of the restrictions last time, not really care anymore. However, there was certainly an element of common sense being applied. E.g. wear a mask around people, don't go visit granny if sick, isolate after a test etc. I couldn't care less if my neighbour has his son over for dinner that lives 5.5km away. But don't have a massive party FFS. Can't we all apply a bit of common sense and get on with life?
On another note, great to see most of the crew rolling their sleeves up and getting the big V. Only met one girl that didn't want it (Incase she lost her medical and couldn't get a payout from her insurance etc). Honestly didn't know what to tell her.
cLeArIcE is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 03:11
  #5926 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The main issue in NSW is the low testing rates.
went to a Covid test in a ‘red zone’ today and there was no queue, only two other cars on site.

I think the actual rate of Covid in the community is much higher than the daily numbers would suggest.
Tucknroll is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 03:20
  #5927 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Perth, WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Age: 72
Posts: 896
Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladloy
A purist Libertarian would support mask mandates. The Libertarian ideology is basically to be able to do what you want if it doesn't affect others. I'm no Libertarian but it always annoys me that Libertarianism gets confused with anarchism.
EVERYONE hates wearing masks. That's not the problem.

The problem is with those who are opposed to being TOLD to wear masks.
And many of those are opposed to just about everything.
And that is definitely a form of anarchy.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 03:36
  #5928 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 697
Received 126 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucknroll
The main issue in NSW is the low testing rates.
went to a Covid test in a ‘red zone’ today and there was no queue, only two other cars on site.

I think the actual rate of Covid in the community is much higher than the daily numbers would suggest.
If everyone is locked in their homes, the testing rate means didly!!
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 03:55
  #5929 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 789
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by cLeArIcE
Honestly, the last little Lock down Melbourne had I observed the complete opposite. Most people were Just going about their normal life irrespective of any restrictions. I Was even surprised to see many of the crew that were devout followers of the restrictions last time, not really care anymore. However, there was certainly an element of common sense being applied. E.g. wear a mask around people, don't go visit granny if sick, isolate after a test etc. I couldn't care less if my neighbour has his son over for dinner that lives 5.5km away. But don't have a massive party FFS. Can't we all apply a bit of common sense and get on with life?
On another note, great to see most of the crew rolling their sleeves up and getting the big V. Only met one girl that didn't want it (Incase she lost her medical and couldn't get a payout from her insurance etc). Honestly didn't know what to tell her.
Common sense is the real hurdle here particularly for those in the community who dont believe any of this is real or the rules dont apply to them.
Like you say,how hard is it to put a mask on if required to do so or stay away from those you love if you dont feel well.
I worked in the airline industry for 40 + years & know full well the fears of my x workmates still there.
The situation the country finds itself in yet again can be attributed to the selfish people in our world i.e 3 X furniture removalists.
blubak is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 03:56
  #5930 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,912
Received 200 Likes on 67 Posts
Reports here in the West that Victoria will lock down at midnight.


Are the going to jail these removal people? Seems like they have caused a big mess.
SOPS is online now  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 03:59
  #5931 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 789
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
Reports here in the West that Victoria will lock down at midnight.
Guardian has just reported the same.
blubak is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 04:12
  #5932 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: HKG
Posts: 399
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
Are the going to jail these removal people?
It’s Australia. Of course not.

A small $$ fine that they will never pay should suffice.
Green.Dot is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 04:32
  #5933 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 308
Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
Reports here in the West that Victoria will lock down at midnight.


Are the going to jail these removal people? Seems like they have caused a big mess.

if they are white boomers, no chance. Anyone else, I guess it’s possible.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 05:04
  #5934 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SA closing to VIC and not reopening to SE QLD.

Should change this thread to "All borders to close"
jrfsp is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 05:13
  #5935 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Queensland
Age: 40
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucknroll
The main issue in NSW is the low testing rates.
went to a Covid test in a ‘red zone’ today and there was no queue, only two other cars on site.

I think the actual rate of Covid in the community is much higher than the daily numbers would suggest.
Low testing rate? Over 58,000 in 24 hours equals low (713 tests per 100,000)? If you want low look at Tasmania where the premier declared 1,500 tests in one day was "very high" (277 tests per 100,000).

Not saying your second statement is wrong though.




Last edited by Check_Thrust; 15th Jul 2021 at 06:43.
Check_Thrust is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 06:32
  #5936 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 467
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Victorian media conference at 4.45 think we all know what is coming

5 day state wide Victorian lockdown announced by Chairman Dan. Confirmed.

Last edited by Foxxster; 15th Jul 2021 at 06:55.
Foxxster is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 06:54
  #5937 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 1,017
Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Icarus2001
This is very true, hate to say I told you so.

Like I said this madness needs to stop.
SHVC is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 07:07
  #5938 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist
If everyone is locked in their homes, the testing rate means didly!!
Who is locked in their homes? I met a florist two days ago who thought they were an essential worker.
Tucknroll is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 07:10
  #5939 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 467
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucknroll
Who is locked in their homes? I met a florist two days ago who thought they were an essential worker.
I think funerals are still allowed,….
Foxxster is offline  
Old 15th Jul 2021, 07:43
  #5940 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 308
Received 89 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxxster
I think funerals are still allowed,….
why were you out? Why were you meeting new people?

that’s the thing. Everyone thinks they’re essential at any time. The dudes cutting trees down around my burn think they’re essential too.

cloudsurfng is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.