Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 14th Jul 2021, 01:47
  #5881 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,230
Received 242 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxxster
not sure why anyone is using a 35 year old.

the average age of WuHu flu deaths here is 82, same as the uk and representative of world wide figures.

I would think the statistical value of a 82 year old is somewhat less than 5 million.

perhaps use that number instead.

oh and many if not most people who die of WuHu are most certainly not healthy but have significant co morbidity factors.
Sure, why not. We'll just put them down as a miscellaneous write-off - we could probably have covered it with petty cash.
MickG0105 is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 02:38
  #5882 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 467
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
Sure, why not. We'll just put them down as a miscellaneous write-off - we could probably have covered it with petty cash.
oh dear, did the facts hurt you. Show me on the dolly whereabouts.
Foxxster is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 02:55
  #5883 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,394
Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by MickG0105
I know that response was to another comment but let's apply that reality test. Under the reality of the Federal government's paper thin parliamentary majority, the Constitution's division of powers between the Federal government and the States, and the current state governments can you articulate for us an alternative public policy approach that would have had even a ghost's chance of being enacted. Like it or lump it, here in the real world the guillotine test for public policy is implementability - can it be made real.

Happy to be proven wrong on this but there appeared to be a manifest lack of sufficient political support for alternative approaches to the pandemic for said alternative to get implemented. You can say that your 'unicorn' of an alternative approach would have been far superior on every dimension to the camel that we've got but the camel is what was realistically achievable, the unicorn is imaginary.
If the Commonwealth had stepped up to and competently discharged the responsibilities that fall squarely within its power, when it became obvious what was needed, we would all be in a different place now. Quarantine, vaccine purchase and roll out and aged care facilities.

We all realise that Scotty doesn't hold a hose or a syringe or lay bricks or work in a laboratory or run aged care facilities, but it's his government that pays the Piper and could and should have called the tune a lot earlier.

But I agree with you about the underlying politics. That's why the rumours of an early Federal election have evaporated. Scotty and his team are becoming very unpopular, as a consequence of their incompetence and - most recently - the differential treatment of Victorians compared with New South Welshmen.

All they know how to do well is react to political risk. And many, many Australians are getting very, very angry.

As I've said before, I earnestly hope that the urgency with which vaccines are now being purchased and rolled out will be the 'circuit breaker'. The alternatives are pretty ugly.


Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 03:42
  #5884 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,230
Received 242 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
If the Commonwealth had stepped up to and competently discharged the responsibilities that fall squarely within its power, when it became obvious what was needed, we would all be in a different place now. Quarantine, vaccine purchase and roll out and aged care facilities.

We all realise that Scotty doesn't hold a hose or a syringe or lay bricks or work in a laboratory or run aged care facilities, but it's his government that pays the Piper and could and should have called the tune a lot earlier.

But I agree with you about the underlying politics. That's why the rumours of an early Federal election have evaporated. Scotty and his team are becoming very unpopular, as a consequence of their incompetence and - most recently - the differential treatment of Victorians compared with New South Welshmen.

All they know how to do well is react to political risk. And many, many Australians are getting very, very angry.

As I've said before, I earnestly hope that the urgency with which vaccines are now being purchased and rolled out will be the 'circuit breaker'. The alternatives are pretty ugly.
Couldn't agree more that the vaccination program needs fixing. That said, when the initial roll-out and targets were announced I can't recall a groundswell of opinion that it wasn't fast enough (that could be down to bad recall).

I don't know about many, many Australians getting very, very angry. I've been trying to find polling on that topic. According to the Lowy Institute back in May,
Almost all Australian adults (95%) say that Australia has handled COVID-19 ‘very well’ or ‘fairly well’ so far.
It's fair to say that a lot has happened since May but by the same token, 95% is a high ceiling to be dropping from.

According to Essential it's a mixed bag. As late as last week people rating the federal government’s response to the Covid-19 outbreak as very poor had tripled since the start of the year but only to 12 percent.

Speaking of the vaccination program if you go to the third page of the Essential Report, there's some interesting (and worrying) data. Back in April, well before the AstraZeneca pile-on, 16 percent were saying they'd never be vaccinated! You might wonder what that number is now.

In terms of what people think about the spending on the pandemic response, nearest I've found is the response to the budget - a pretty good approval rating but with many people confused about exactly what it meant for them. Time will tell. 
MickG0105 is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 03:44
  #5885 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,230
Received 242 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxxster
oh dear, did the facts hurt you. Show me on the dolly whereabouts.
Thanks for taking time out to raise the standard of the discussion.
MickG0105 is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 03:48
  #5886 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,394
Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
That said, when the initial roll-out and targets were announced I can't recall a groundswell of opinion that it wasn't fast enough (that could be down to bad recall).
Your recall is accurate.

There wasn't "a groundswell of opinion that it wasn't fast enough" because Scotty was telling everyone it wasn't "a race" and, back then, people were putting more trust in him than they are now.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 04:50
  #5887 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 338
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
An interesting study 17 years ago into Australia's capability to respond to a pandemic. Also has some interesting references to previous lock downs and quarantine. NSW reaction to ordered lockdown during smallpox epidemic sounds like today!
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam.../rp0405/05rp03


Vag277 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 04:52
  #5888 (permalink)  
601
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Age: 78
Posts: 1,489
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
And many, many Australians are getting very, very angry.
Got any reference to backup this statement.
From a quick pole amongst the members a few organisations I belong to, the reverse is true.
Of course most of my associates are in the senior "vulnerable" cohort.

And a show of hands at a meeting last Wednesday. all but two have had at least one jab and had no confusion on what jab to get.
601 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 05:01
  #5889 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,394
Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Try a "pole" of small business owners in locked down cities and essential workers whose businesses and lives are thrown into complete turmoil each time there's a leak from inadequate quarantine arrangements.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 05:03
  #5890 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,394
Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
In terms of what people think about the spending on the pandemic response, nearest I've found is the response to the budget - a pretty good approval rating but with many people confused about exactly what it meant for them. Time will tell.
Indeed.

The trillion in debt will be paid off 'later' by 'someone'. Big problems if the immigration-driven Ponzi scheme doesn't start again, soon.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 05:11
  #5891 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 645
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
Indeed.

The trillion in debt will be paid off 'later' by 'someone'. Big problems if the immigration-driven Ponzi scheme doesn't start again, soon.
That’s ok, I’m sure China will be along to sign a few Premiers up to the Belt and Road Initiative.

ruprecht is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 06:26
  #5892 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 789
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Don’t stir people up unnecessarily, there was one new case today and they were isolating throughout their infectious period.
The 1 case has gone to 8 now & guess what,those 3 furniture removalists are a big source of the ongoing outbreak.
These 3 & the owner of the removal business should be made accountable & fined heavily.
They have thumbed their nose at mask wearing requirements & many other conditions of their permit to travel/work in victoria.
Lets go with $5k each as a fine & $50k for the business.
We are so sick of these self entitled people so lets give them a memory jolt & maybe some others will take notice.
blubak is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 06:38
  #5893 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blubak
The 1 case has gone to 8 now & guess what,those 3 furniture removalists are a big source of the ongoing outbreak.
These 3 & the owner of the removal business should be made accountable & fined heavily.
They have thumbed their nose at mask wearing requirements & many other conditions of their permit to travel/work in victoria.
Lets go with $5k each as a fine & $50k for the business.
We are so sick of these self entitled people so lets give them a memory jolt & maybe some others will take notice.
Indeed, the reason home quarantine works in Singapore is people are scared of literally getting flogged if they dont comply. (Well imprisonment)

Too many people think the rules dont apply to them.
jrfsp is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 06:40
  #5894 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: AUS
Posts: 86
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Western Australia has just closed its border with VIC...
Agent_86 is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 06:43
  #5895 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,902
Received 172 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Agent_86
Western Australia has just closed its border with VIC...
Yep if you come from Vic to WA now, it’s 2 weeks Q.
SOPS is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 06:50
  #5896 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Perth
Posts: 203
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stand downs are now inevitable

Don't forget quarantine is 99.9% successful - the consequence of the 0.1% doesn't matter....
jrfsp is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 06:56
  #5897 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 789
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by jrfsp
Indeed, the reason home quarantine works in Singapore is people are scared of literally getting flogged if they dont comply. (Well imprisonment)

Too many people think the rules dont apply to them.
U are 100% correct.
If we tried anything like that here(maybe a flogging is over the top) can you imagine the response of the anti everything brigade.
Like its such an inconvenience to wear a mask & of course its not within human rights to make someone wear 1😷
blubak is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 06:58
  #5898 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 645
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jrfsp
Stand downs are now inevitable.





ruprecht is online now  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 07:16
  #5899 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Age: 68
Posts: 1,913
Received 296 Likes on 125 Posts
Scotty better get on that phone himself perhaps to organise those doses ASAP or just resign FFS. His done.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 07:51
  #5900 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sunshine Coast
Posts: 1,230
Received 242 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
Scotty better get on that phone himself perhaps to organise those doses ASAP or just resign FFS. His done.
So whom exactly will Scotty be on the phone to and how exactly will they be conjuring up "those doses". Manufacturing a vaccine is not like bottling water or making dunny paper.

Pfizer takes a minimum of 60 days to produce a batch of vaccine, AstraZeneca takes a minimum of 90 days. And those timelines are only achievable if all elements of the supply chain fall exactly into place. Presently, one of the critical supply chain elements are the vials.

Add to that the annoying reality that production is pretty much at capacity currently due to the global demand and, in any event, you can only ramp up as fast as the weakest link in the supply chain will allow.

The vaccine then has to be shipped and there's a complication with shipment protocols - AstraZeneca is shipped chilled and must not be frozen; Pfizer on the other is shipped frozen and must not be thawed. In other words, co-shipping to maximise the efficiency of limited refrigerated shipping assets is problematic.

Of course, the other issue now is the fallout from the AstraZeneca pile-on. Thanks to the likes of Palaszczuk's and Young's politicisation of the AstraZeneca vaccine, there are now doses of that vaccine available that nobody wants. I don't know about other states but Queensland now has a growing surplus of AstraZeneca doses because people are eschewing it and waiting for the opportunity to get Pfizer shots.

So, is a phone call is likely to fix it - you could ask Kevin07, I guess.

Last edited by MickG0105; 14th Jul 2021 at 08:11. Reason: Additional comment re capacity
MickG0105 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.