Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 1st Jul 2021, 12:34
  #5521 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Asia
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
International arrivals wonít stop , just get vaccinated and get on with it . This is part of life now .
Torukmacto is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 12:35
  #5522 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,468
Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
To be clear.. these are International arrivals. Some people have been in and out 8 times. Itís BS.
Because itís complete and utter bull**** that theyíre closed to start with.

Ohh that and the fact that maybe some people might have very legitimate reasons, ie. work.

Not everyone believes in a North Korean fortress style border.
morno is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 12:38
  #5523 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
Posts: 2,468
Received 310 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Foxxster
I sometimes wonder if I am talking to 8 year olds with a learning disability .

I think I have stated many many times that it cannot be done. It is up to you to provide the means of implementing and more importantly police the measures that YOU want to put in place.

as for being an expert. Well I have had that line before. About that charlatan, sorry demographer. You may want to refer to my post just above regarding that. The one with the link to the news articleÖ

as for your role as a pilot. You have proven a complete lack of rationality, critical thinking and common sense.

I would think they are necessary requirements for most jobs that have peopleís lives in their hands.
I give up, thereís no point arguing with a 7 year old.

And honestly, if you think flying is that hard that I need to be a psychologist and hold a doctorate, youíve got serious issues buddy. Itís not that fecking hard.
morno is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 12:49
  #5524 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 642
Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Torukmacto
International arrivals won’t stop , just get vaccinated and get on with it . This is part of life now .
Yup, what a shambles this is turning into. Scomo won’t provide a roadmap to recovery because then there is no reason to keep the LNP in power. So it’ll be “keeping you safe” and “envy of the world” until the election is called.
ruprecht is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 13:05
  #5525 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 37
Posts: 281
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SOPS
It has just been stated that since this began.. there have been 51000 people through HQ in WA alone. Some have been through HQ as many as 8 times!!! This rubbish has to stop. You come in, you stay in. You leave now, you donít come back. And that included Ď sports peopleí and such.
So by that logic the PM should stay out then? What about the various government ministers that need to travel?

What about Australians that live overseas and need to come home to deal with various family issues? They canít go back overseas?

What about the various business owners in Australia that need to travel to keep their businesses running?

What about Australians that have family overseas they need to see?

I could go on and on, but Iím sure you get the point. The border CAN NEVER be closed. No country on earth functions that way. By your logic, all airlines should stop flying to Australia as well, good luck getting any of that Pfizer vaccine thatís so important now!

Australian citizens have a right to access their own country. Itís up to the government to create a safe and effective way for that to happen during a pandemic. Just shouting ďshut the border!Ē is not safe and effective.

Do you get that point? ITS UP TO THE GOVERNMENT to create an effective quarantine system. To allow citizens to move around so the country continues to function.

If there actually was a safe and effective quarantine system (NOT hotel quarantine), that was user pays, with an associated cap on numbers, plus all the issues with international air travel at the moment, plus the risk of getting COVID (cause most Aussies arenít vaccinated) and people STILL want to travel with all that hassle and risk, who are you to say ďnoĒ??

What happened to our liberal democracy? What happened to some level of personal responsibility when presented with the associated risks?

This is not something that will go away this year or probably the next, the influenza continued to spike every year well into the mid 1920ís after the original outbreak in 1919. Shutting the country off from the world for multiple years is not a suitable response.
aviation_enthus is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 13:55
  #5526 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Al's Diner
Age: 64
Posts: 202
Likes: 0
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
About time we incentivised vaccines in this country. There is enough vaccine to to cover the most at risk and at risk of causing breakouts.
  1. You cannot enter this country unless you are fully vaccinated
  2. You cannot leave this country until you are fully vaccinated
  3. You can travel freely within this country if you are fully vaccinated. You are not subject to state border restrictions or lockdowns.
  4. You can travel freely overseas to low risk countries from 31 Oct if you are fully vaccinated with quarantine on return for 1 test and then no quarantine but a follow up test in 7 days
  5. You can travel freely to low risk countries from 1Dec if you are fully vaccinated with no quarantine but a test on return.
  6. If you work in front line health, borders, emergency, international freight movements etc you get paid double time every single time you go to work for the next 6mths if you are fully vaccinated and you will receive a tax credit for the next 3yrs for your service to the greater good of the country.
Just watch how many would suddenly think the minimal risk of AZ side effects is acceptable when freedom and money comes into it.

All it needs is a plan!



Potsie Weber is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 16:57
  #5527 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 964
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm intrigued by what is going on in Australia right now, looking from afar in the UK. I still haven't cancelled my hotels in late Nov / early Dec in Brisbane and Adelaide for the Ashes, although I'm resigned to the fact I am locked out of Aussie for a long time. Did I see somewhere that there is talk of border closures until potentially 2023? Its insanity.

Are everyday Aussies really putting up with this never ending cycle of scare tactics, lockdown and political game playing? I thought there was a plan? I deeply feel for my fellow Australian friends and aviation comrades who are having to put with this nonsense day after day.

Were they putting up with it when Scotty from Marketing was walking around freely in the UK, tracing his family tree and mingling with political mates at the G7? At the same time saying how dangerous the UK is right now.*

*Newsflash - it isn't. The delta variant of course is a more infectious and possibly deadlier variant, but each of the vaccines are strongly effective against it and now over 80% of the adult population has had one dose and as of now all of the priority groups would've had their second. Life has almost returned to normal domestically and in fact, in reality, with Euro 2020 ongoing, it already has. In 18 days time, in theory, all restrictions will have been removed in the UK although I'm dubious as to what might happen later in the year. Right now there are around 20,000++ cases a day on average, but only around 200 a day going in hospital and on average around a dozen a day are dying. On a typical day probably around 1,300 people die every day in the UK. Perspective - something a lot of governments don't seem to have.

Being double vaccinated, I couldn't be any more protected apart from the exposure from widespread community transmission. But the vaccines are so miraculous, in over 90% of cases prevent you getting severe disease, even more so if you're under 50 where the risk really was significantly reduced before vaccines. Eventually, people who are fully vaccinated will be able to travel to amber countries without a return quarantine and most of Europe are now doing this from today with their new travel pass.

For what it's worth, I am 33 years old and had the AZ vaccine in around late March. I was groggy for 24 hours first time like most but absolutely fine - like 100,000s of others in my age bracket who had early access for whatever reason. Back at the time when there were question marks over this vaccine, there was 1.1 case in 100,000 of severe reaction which was slightly larger than the severe Covid risk for this cohort and as such the decision was made by UK JCVI, the regulator. Not for scare tactics, but a strategic risked based decision.

The world really is full of inconsistencies at the moment... it does irk me how science differs depending on your nationality, wallet size or celebrity status.
Dannyboy39 is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 21:19
  #5528 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,283
Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
So by that logic the PM should stay out then? What about the various government ministers that need to travel?
Yep. Either don't go, or stay out if you do. And it's by their own logic.

Define "need". Who's going to die if pollies don't travel overseas? Who's going to declare war on us or stop sending us Christmas Cards?

Each of those trips involves dozens of hangers-on who each pose a 'quarantine' hotel leak risk, and each of those leaks has cost and continues to cost the country billions.
What about Australians that live overseas and need to come home to deal with various family issues? They canít go back overseas?
Define "need". Who's going to die if they don't come home or can't go back overseas unless they stay there until the pandemic is under control?
What about the various business owners in Australia that need to travel to keep their businesses running?
Define "need". Who's going to die if they don't travel?
What about Australians that have family overseas they need to see?
Define "need". Who's going to die if they don't "see" the overseas family?

There are inumerable examples of people who "need" to travel within Australia but are prohibited from doing so. Lives and businesses are being destroyed here, and people are being cut off from family here, due to the restrictions on travel within Australia, and those restrictions have been triggered by outbreaks caused by infections from overseas travel!

And there are thousands of travellers let in from overseas who aren't Australians and aren't visiting dying relatives!

It's about the rank hypocrisy.

Much of this could have been avoided if the Commonwealth had stepped up to its responsibilities and started building proper quarantine facilities over a year ago. But, just as Scotty from Marketing doesn't hold a hose, he doesn't lay bricks.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 21:43
  #5529 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 787
Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
It has just been stated that since this began.. there have been 51000 people through HQ in WA alone. Some have been through HQ as many as 8 times!!! This rubbish has to stop. You come in, you stay in. You leave now, you donít come back. And that included Ď sports peopleí and such.
Thats a disgrace & needs to be stopped as you say.
You get 1 chance & 1 chance only.
This situation is controlled by federal govt?
blubak is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 21:53
  #5530 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,283
Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
Yes. The Federal government decides who comes here, and the circumstances in which they come.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 22:54
  #5531 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 49
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blubak
Thats a disgrace & needs to be stopped as you say.
You get 1 chance & 1 chance only.
This situation is controlled by federal govt?
So youíll pay my mortgage when I canít travel
overseas for work. Or better still, can you please point me to a job based here I can takeÖ maybe Iíll call up some local airlines and offer to work at pennies on the dollar and ruin it for local crew (thatís sarcasm). Some. People have a legitimate reason to travel overseas multiple times.
hawkerxp is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 23:13
  #5532 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,283
Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
And what about the people who can't pay their mortgage because their business in Australia has died, due to lockdowns caused by overseas travel by others?
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 23:19
  #5533 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Asia
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The country will reopen , up to you to be vaccinated or not when living with covid .
Torukmacto is offline  
Old 1st Jul 2021, 23:48
  #5534 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eden Valley
Posts: 2,150
Received 92 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
And what about the people who can't pay their mortgage because their business in Australia has died, due to lockdowns caused by overseas travel by others?
What about those who have and will lose their livelihoods due to an extended border closure in Australia?

Quarantine was bungled, vaccination rollout a shambles and lockdowns debatable. I really can't blame Australians travelling overseas to make a living. Seems unfashionable to be a profitable Aussie these days.
Gnadenburg is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 00:01
  #5535 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,283
Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
I agree.

My point is that the 'fallout' from the bungled quarantine arrangements and vaccine rollout should be equitably shared. But it seems that some people are more equal than others.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 00:01
  #5536 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Coal Face
Posts: 1,289
Received 325 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Lead Balloon
And what about the people who can't pay their mortgage because their business in Australia has died, due to lockdowns caused by overseas travel by others?
It’s not the porous border policy that is causing this. They’ve had 15 months to sort this out by throwing practically unlimited resources at it and the net result is arguments about traveller quotas and a plan to build quarantine centres God only knows when. What about the complete lack of common sense that sees limo drivers (of international flight crew FFS) not testing or masking up (allegedly), receptionists working outside a COVID ward unvaccinated, the sub-standard information flow about which vaccines are available and to whom slowing the entire roll out down, not to mention unmasked, multi-jobbing hotel ‘security’ guards and mixing domestic and international travellers at quarantine hotels?

If someone wants to go through hotel quarantine 8 times, that is their business, however that’s 7 people that could have returned from overseas - that is an issue.
Chronic Snoozer is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 00:37
  #5537 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Australia/India
Posts: 5,283
Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts
I agree.

But I don't agree that tolerating numerous stupid things is a justification for continuing to tolerate all of those stupid things.
Lead Balloon is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 01:09
  #5538 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: east
Posts: 224
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Devil

Originally Posted by Potsie Weber
About time we incentivised vaccines in this country. There is enough vaccine to to cover the most at risk and at risk of causing breakouts.
  1. You cannot enter this country unless you are fully vaccinated
  2. You cannot leave this country until you are fully vaccinated
  3. You can travel freely within this country if you are fully vaccinated. You are not subject to state border restrictions or lockdowns.
  4. You can travel freely overseas to low risk countries from 31 Oct if you are fully vaccinated with quarantine on return for 1 test and then no quarantine but a follow up test in 7 days
  5. You can travel freely to low risk countries from 1Dec if you are fully vaccinated with no quarantine but a test on return.
  6. If you work in front line health, borders, emergency, international freight movements etc you get paid double time every single time you go to work for the next 6mths if you are fully vaccinated and you will receive a tax credit for the next 3yrs for your service to the greater good of the country.
Just watch how many would suddenly think the minimal risk of AZ side effects is acceptable when freedom and money comes into it.

All it needs is a plan!
So how do you stop people coming to Australia with fake Vaccinnation certificates ? Unlikely for borders to open before 2025.
Scooter Rassmussin is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 01:29
  #5539 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,583
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooter Rassmussin
So how do you stop people coming to Australia with fake Vaccinnation certificates ? Unlikely for borders to open before 2025.
As long as Covid doesn’t morph into something that can beat the vaccines, borders will be more or less completely open by this time next year. Wouldn’t surprise me if we’re allowing those vaccinated to travel to certain countries with minimal iso on return by February or March.
Keg is offline  
Old 2nd Jul 2021, 02:32
  #5540 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 448
Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooter Rassmussin
So how do you stop people coming to Australia with fake Vaccinnation certificates ? Unlikely for borders to open before 2025.
The same way you stop people coming on fake documents of any kind Iíd suggest. I canít see it being an issue.
Fonz121 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.