Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 7th Jan 2022, 23:17
  #1721 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: The oldest state
Posts: 21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
So, do any Aussies actually know any Aussies who've gone to Breeze ?
They have started interviewing Australians.
Abroad145 is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:04
  #1722 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,380
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Abroad145
They have started interviewing Australians.
Would you happen to know if the interviews were in-person or a Zoom thing ? And what quals do the interviewees have ?
bafanguy is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2022, 10:17
  #1723 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,380
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
This just popped up. I'm guessing GlobalX but don't know for sure. And it's going to require that 1000 hours FAA Part 121 time so it may keep a few otherwise qualified people from applying:


“*Our client is now welcoming Australian Pilots, that eligible for E3 Visa to Apply.”


https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/16926.html

bafanguy is offline  
Old 8th Jan 2022, 19:00
  #1724 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,380
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
A bit more info on the Breeze/Aussie deal. I assume the author spoke to someone at Breeze to get the info ?

“Breeze already has around 120 applicants for the program, with the majority of pilots living in Australia and some who are already in the US. Pilots from Down Under will, however, incur travel and visa costs before being able to fly for Breeze.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...edgdhp&pc=U531
bafanguy is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 01:59
  #1725 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 371
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
A bit more info on the Breeze/Aussie deal. I assume the author spoke to someone at Breeze to get the info ?

“Breeze already has around 120 applicants for the program, with the majority of pilots living in Australia and some who are already in the US. Pilots from Down Under will, however, incur travel and visa costs before being able to fly for Breeze.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...edgdhp&pc=U531
I’m not sure if the posted pay scale on APC reflects the “paying more” that article states but whether warranted or not, given the anger and frustration US pilots have felt over the past 10-15 years about pilots working for less, I can see a $hit storm on the horizon with Australian pilots being singled out for flying for what Breeze is offering.

I’m not saying don’t do it but be aware that the pay is less than any of the ULCC currently flying in the US. The only way that might be mitigated is if they’re represented by either ALPA or god forbid, the teamsters. A non-union carrier staffed mostly by foreign nationals is going to have a target on its back.
Kenny is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 06:21
  #1726 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: blue earth
Posts: 227
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Breeze wants E3 pilots it needs to lift their game.

“Breeze already has around 120 applicants for the program, with the majority of pilots living in Australia and some who are already in the US. Pilots from Down Under will, however, incur travel and visa costs before being able to fly for Breeze.

Both Go-Jet offering $20,000 USD and PSA $15,000 USD “sign on bonus” plus a number of other productivities pay bonus, including FOC “J class” travel on UA (Go-Jet) & AA (PSA) to relocate to the States. visa application fees, Hotel accommodation, per diems. Staff travel.

What are Breeze terms and conditions??
Cool banana is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 09:04
  #1727 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perpetually Commuting
Posts: 295
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cool banana
If Breeze wants E3 pilots it needs to lift their game.

“Breeze already has around 120 applicants for the program, with the majority of pilots living in Australia and some who are already in the US. Pilots from Down Under will, however, incur travel and visa costs before being able to fly for Breeze.

Both Go-Jet offering $20,000 USD and PSA $15,000 USD “sign on bonus” plus a number of other productivities pay bonus, including FOC “J class” travel on UA (Go-Jet) & AA (PSA) to relocate to the States. visa application fees, Hotel accommodation, per diems. Staff travel.

What are Breeze terms and conditions??
What are you smoking? Lift their game? Breeze pay rate is much better than those regionals you mentioned. With so many jobless pilots in Aust, who isn't going to apply?

The biggest question is, who's gonna pay for ATP CTP for those without FAA ATPL when it comes to Breeze?
lee_apromise is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 11:20
  #1728 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,380
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
...I can see a $hit storm on the horizon with Australian pilots being singled out for flying for what Breeze is offering.

A non-union carrier staffed mostly by foreign nationals is going to have a target on its back.
Kenny,

I don't see Breeze becoming an airline staffed by enough expats to really matter. There are apparently enough US citizens now to run the operation and there's anecdotal info about qualified US citizens applying but getting no response from the Breeze hiring mechanism (and, the same can be said of every airline).

These startups are always a risky proposition for those signing on. But, they laughed at SWA too.

And choosing an established regional is likely a safer bet for any Aussie coming here to get some airline experience and move on to something bigger and better. Very entertaining stuff.

lee_apromise,

I'd assume Breeze will have to pay for all licensing costs as the regionals do now.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 13:06
  #1729 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 371
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lee_apromise
What are you smoking? Lift their game? Breeze pay rate is much better than those regionals you mentioned. With so many jobless pilots in Aust, who isn't going to apply?

The biggest question is, who's gonna pay for ATP CTP for those without FAA ATPL when it comes to Breeze?
Lee, I agree but when has logic ever entered into the thinking of most pilots when it comes to pay? The flaw in your statement is that Breeze isn’t operating clapped out E145’s or CRJ’s. They going to be operating E190’s and Airbus, so that’s the yard stick with which the pay will be judged and it’ll be compared to US airlines flying those types. The pay is a lot lower than JetBlue or Spirit, especially the CA pay.

Originally Posted by bafanguy
I don't see Breeze becoming an airline staffed by enough expats to really matter. There are apparently enough US citizens now to run the operation and there's anecdotal info about qualified US citizens applying but getting no response from the Breeze hiring mechanism (and, the same can be said of every airline)
It shouldn’t matter but we live in a world where facts don’t matter anymore. The optics will be new start-up operating Airbus, paying cr@p money and staffed by Aussies who are prepared to work for less. Norwegian was never really a big deal in the grand scheme of things here but your average line guy in the US would froth at the mouth and go bananas at the mere mention of them because of the frenzy that was whipped up.

It’s not going to hurt to apply, just be aware and educate yourself about what you might be getting into, as much as you can.
Kenny is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 13:16
  #1730 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,380
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
The optics will be new start-up operating Airbus, paying cr@p money and staffed by Aussies who are prepared to work for less. ...your average line guy in the US would froth at the mouth and go bananas at the mere mention of them because of the frenzy that was whipped up.
I'm afraid all start ups pay poorly...nature of the beast. Breeze can't pay Delta A220 rates. And if Breeze succeeds in getting good pay rates, it'll come after much fighting with management...also nature of the beast.

Everyone now flying for Breeze is working for less with their own full knowledge. I'd expect management to do everything they can to staff the operation.

I don't understand why anyone is too wrapped around the axle about a few Aussies coming to work at some start up. They didn't have much to say about those who came to the regional sector here and it's the same deal.

Much ado about very little in the Big Picture.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 21:41
  #1731 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Perpetually Commuting
Posts: 295
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
Lee, I agree but when has logic ever entered into the thinking of most pilots when it comes to pay? The flaw in your statement is that Breeze isn’t operating clapped out E145’s or CRJ’s. They going to be operating E190’s and Airbus, so that’s the yard stick with which the pay will be judged and it’ll be compared to US airlines flying those types. The pay is a lot lower than JetBlue or Spirit, especially the CA pay.
Not that I don't understand what you are saying, but asking JetBlue E190/A220 and Delta A220 pay from a start up company sounds ridiculous.

No offense but talk to me about that yard stick again when E-3 guys can apply for jobs at other legacies and majors with E-3 visas.

Until then, E-3 applicants have no say in determining their terms and conditions. This is the reality.

Like they say, beggars can't be choosers.
lee_apromise is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2022, 23:57
  #1732 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: US via Oz, Honkers & Blighty.
Posts: 371
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by lee_apromise
Not that I don't understand what you are saying, but asking JetBlue E190/A220 and Delta A220 pay from a start up company sounds ridiculous.

No offense but talk to me about that yard stick again when E-3 guys can apply for jobs at other legacies and majors with E-3 visas.

Until then, E-3 applicants have no say in determining their terms and conditions. This is the reality.

Like they say, beggars can't be choosers.
That's a cop-out. By applying for and accepting the terms and conditions any operation is offering, You are directly determining the terms and conditions. There's no indirect about it and that excuse has been used for decades by pilots to make themselves feel better when they know they're getting paid less than their peers. It's simple.

Imagine for a second that some mob starts up a new operation in OZ using Yanks on sponsored visas, the locals would go fecking ape$hit.

Also, I didn't mention Delta, I said Jetblue and Spirit.
Kenny is offline  
Old 10th Jan 2022, 10:04
  #1733 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Asia
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Breeze Airways wants to tackle the pilot shortage head-on and is raising pilot pay after its 2021 debut. It's also finding a new pilot pool in Australia.
Torukmacto is offline  
Old 11th Jan 2022, 04:32
  #1734 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 214
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Kenny
That's a cop-out. By applying for and accepting the terms and conditions any operation is offering, You are directly determining the terms and conditions. There's no indirect about it and that excuse has been used for decades by pilots to make themselves feel better when they know they're getting paid less than their peers. It's simple.

Imagine for a second that some mob starts up a new operation in OZ using Yanks on sponsored visas, the locals would go fecking ape$hit.

Also, I didn't mention Delta, I said Jetblue and Spirit.

To play devil's advocate, that has been happening for a long time now with 457 visas. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, because immigrating to the US has personally benefited me immensely, it just is.

It does tend to bother me though when pilots say, "don't come here, because we're poorly paid, and if you don't come here we might improve our T&C's". It's literally asking people to pass up an opportunity that may better their life, so that your lot in life may improve. The upshot is that even if the majority of Australian pilots had the desire to immigrate to the US (which they don't for various reasons), the impact we collectively make on the impending pilot shortage is negligible.

The benefit to the individual Aussie's career here though cannot be understated. You can largely skip a lot of the GA nonsense of home, get some jet time, have some incredible experiences, and maybe find your career destination. And thanks to the guys and girls that are putting in the effort here, there are now significant opportunities beyond just the regionals for those that wish to follow.

Just to recap those opportunities for those who haven't been paying attention:

GoJet
PSA
CommutAir (green card if you're captain qualified)
Breeze
National Airlines
Frontier
Waltzing Matilda Aviation
Mesa
Atlas
Denver Air Connection
Red Wing Aviation

These are just the opportunities that I'm aware of, I'm sure there's more. Maybe one day the advice to the next generation of pilots starting their career won't be to head north, but to head across the pond...
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2022, 00:52
  #1735 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DropYourSocks
To play devil's advocate, that has been happening for a long time now with 457 visas. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, because immigrating to the US has personally benefited me immensely, it just is.

It does tend to bother me though when pilots say, "don't come here, because we're poorly paid, and if you don't come here we might improve our T&C's". It's literally asking people to pass up an opportunity that may better their life, so that your lot in life may improve. The upshot is that even if the majority of Australian pilots had the desire to immigrate to the US (which they don't for various reasons), the impact we collectively make on the impending pilot shortage is negligible.

The benefit to the individual Aussie's career here though cannot be understated. You can largely skip a lot of the GA nonsense of home, get some jet time, have some incredible experiences, and maybe find your career destination. And thanks to the guys and girls that are putting in the effort here, there are now significant opportunities beyond just the regionals for those that wish to follow.

Just to recap those opportunities for those who haven't been paying attention:

GoJet
PSA
CommutAir (green card if you're captain qualified)
Breeze
National Airlines
Frontier
Waltzing Matilda Aviation
Mesa
Atlas
Denver Air Connection
Red Wing Aviation

These are just the opportunities that I'm aware of, I'm sure there's more. Maybe one day the advice to the next generation of pilots starting their career won't be to head north, but to head across the pond...
^^^^^^^ This!!!! 1000%

dropyoursocks has summed it up perfectly, don’t head north, head across the pond.


GA in Australia is dead. Aviation In the US is booming, jump on the train in the new golden era for pilots here in the US.
havick is online now  
Old 12th Jan 2022, 01:20
  #1736 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 2,285
Received 348 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
^^^^^^^ This!!!! 1000%

dropyoursocks has summed it up perfectly, don’t head north, head across the pond.
Goin up north or out bush to build up hours was a key stepping stone in the typical Australian pilot's career with the ultimate aim to land a position with an Australian airline in a capital city. Going to the US may get some jet and multicrew time in the logbook, but as far as the "typical" experience of those flying over there:

1. How many Australian pilots have successfully made the transition from US regionals back to an Australian airline (obviously Covid has interrupted this for the last two years) and how many are seeking to get back to Australia as soon as they can? Is it common?

2. How many Australians are now intending to stay in the US long term, and either try to gain employment a major if possible or cargo or other operation?

dr dre is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2022, 03:51
  #1737 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 108
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre

1. How many Australian pilots have successfully made the transition from US regionals back to an Australian airline (obviously Covid has interrupted this for the last two years) and how many are seeking to get back to Australia as soon as they can? Is it common?
Like you said, Covid interrupted it. But I’m sure we will find out in the next 12 months, when mainline hirers. Surely the boys and girls with that experience would get a decent look in.
Sparrows. is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2022, 04:46
  #1738 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 460
Likes: 0
Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dr dre
Goin up north or out bush to build up hours was a key stepping stone in the typical Australian pilot's career with the ultimate aim to land a position with an Australian airline in a capital city. Going to the US may get some jet and multicrew time in the logbook, but as far as the "typical" experience of those flying over there:

1. How many Australian pilots have successfully made the transition from US regionals back to an Australian airline (obviously Covid has interrupted this for the last two years) and how many are seeking to get back to Australia as soon as they can? Is it common?

2. How many Australians are now intending to stay in the US long term, and either try to gain employment a major if possible or cargo or other operation?
Why would you go back? More than twice the pay and half the living cost.

Get amongst it!
havick is online now  
Old 12th Jan 2022, 06:00
  #1739 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 548
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
Why would you go back? More than twice the pay and half the living cost.

Get amongst it!
Not to mention prob 1000% less angst and lower blood pressure poling a jet round the states than Oz.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 12th Jan 2022, 06:36
  #1740 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 3,070
Received 138 Likes on 63 Posts
Goin up north or out bush to build up hours was a key stepping stone in the typical Australian pilot's career with the ultimate aim to land a position with an Australian airline in a capital city.
The question that should be asked is why was it a key stepping stone?? If anyone is seriously tossing up between going up north to do GA or going to the USA then really it's a no-brainer. Even GA in the USA is probably better flying experience than GA in Australia with about 1000% more opportunity to advance.
neville_nobody is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.