PDA

View Full Version : Manchester-3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

MANFAN
6th Mar 2022, 07:30
There's one handling agent that is having significant staffing issues at present in which M.A.G are very concerned about going into the Summer schedule.

On FR24 I notice almost all TUI flights are delayed…is it Swissport who handle them?

The96er
6th Mar 2022, 09:44
Tui are handled by Swissport.

2Planks
6th Mar 2022, 20:23
Do TUI also use Swissport at Birmingham? On the last 2 Saturdays the skiing forums have been alive with complaints about delays there with TUI, but passengers with jet2 and Easy are reporting no probs. Looks like TUI need to get a grip sharpish.

DP.
7th Mar 2022, 16:50
We hopefully this week get confirmation from MAG that T3 will hopefully reopen at the end of March…this would coincide with the airlines summer schedules starting.
Ryanair would then move back to T3 to give T1 some breathing space…

I've had a notification of a schedule change on a Ryanair flight for mid-April which is now also showing as T3, so it does look like this has been agreed. It would also suggest that they're looking at a full reopening of T3 rather than funneling everything through T1 security.

Sioltach Dubh Glas
7th Mar 2022, 16:55
With thanks to another forum:

Courtesy of The Aviation Society:

7th March 2022
Breaking News - Runway 05R / 23L due to re-open on the 5th April 2022 - so Manchester will once again have dual runway operations.
Timings to be confirmed. Many of you will be aware that Terminal 3 at Manchester Airport is due to open on 27th March 2022.

MKY661
7th Mar 2022, 20:52
Manchester Airport website confirms Terminal 3 will reopen on 27th March with Aurigny (Interesting one since they were always T1), Blue Islands, BA, Eastern Airlines, Loganair and Ryanair moving into T3

OzzyOzBorn
7th Mar 2022, 21:36
Blue Islands must refer to their codeshares, as I don't think they have any flights of their own at MAN now. EXT terminated, SOU never actually launched. Aurigny's move probably helps to utilise stands 16 / 17 / 18 with the ATR72-600's, though the E195 should be in the mix quite a bit this Summer also. Eastern and Loganair also good for 16 / 17 / 18 use. Presumably, we will see what is happening with FlyBe 2.0 once they firm up plans. Emerald to co-locate with Aer Lingus short-haul?

irishlad06
7th Mar 2022, 23:40
Do TUI also use Swissport at Birmingham? On the last 2 Saturdays the skiing forums have been alive with complaints about delays there with TUI, but passengers with jet2 and Easy are reporting no probs. Looks like TUI need to get a grip sharpish.

Jet2 are self handled and EasyJet are handled by DHL who only handle EasyJet at the minute. (AFAIK) This is why there is no complaints from their passengers.

Mark J Bowcock
8th Mar 2022, 07:02
Hi do we know if Ryanair is basing more aircraft into Manchester now? I would have thought they would have used T3 as Ryanair only. I know BA use it but there’s not many shuttles anymore!

chaps1954
8th Mar 2022, 09:21
BA Shuttles are now almost back to normal and Gatwick starts at end of month, which totals about 7 in each direction each day

Mark J Bowcock
8th Mar 2022, 09:30
Why can’t BA use G18 where BMI and Virgin used to operate to LHR from! At least there’s a seating area there prior to boarding! The BA gate your just queing down a corridor and it’s really not the best

Sioltach Dubh Glas
8th Mar 2022, 09:32
But not back to the heady days when the "walk-on" service operated with a guaranteed backup aircraft!!

MANFAN
8th Mar 2022, 09:42
Blue Islands must refer to their codeshares, as I don't think they have any flights of their own at MAN now. EXT terminated, SOU never actually launched. Aurigny's move probably helps to utilise stands 16 / 17 / 18 with the ATR72-600's, though the E195 should be in the mix quite a bit this Summer also. Eastern and Loganair also good for 16 / 17 / 18 use. Presumably, we will see what is happening with FlyBe 2.0 once they firm up plans. Emerald to co-locate with Aer Lingus short-haul?

Yes exactly. I don't think these stands are currently used enough. Stand 1 is also accessible from within T3 so this could be used by an ATR or Embraer too.

Iberia Express and Vueling previously used T3 too...but with the increase in Ryanair based aircraft I suppose it makes sense to keep them in T1.

MANFAN
8th Mar 2022, 09:45
Why can’t BA use G18 where BMI and Virgin used to operate to LHR from! At least there’s a seating area there prior to boarding! The BA gate your just queing down a corridor and it’s really not the best

If I remember rightly a few years ago the airbridge on stand 18 was mothballed.
I assumed this was due to smaller regional aircraft using this stand, ATR's, Embraer's.
Stand 1 could be used by BA as this gate is accessible from both T1 & T3 with different seating areas in each terminal...but I think this stand is A320/B737 maximum size, so if the BA A321 is in, then it would be allocated one of the usual BA stands 42/43.

MANFAN
8th Mar 2022, 09:57
Hi do we know if Ryanair is basing more aircraft into Manchester now? I would have thought they would have used T3 as Ryanair only. I know BA use it but there’s not many shuttles anymore!

I want to say 19...but I'm not 100% sure...I'm sure someone here can confirm or correct me?

I don't think it'll make much difference allocating Loganair, Eastern and Aurigny to T3, especially as they don't have any based aircraft at MAN or overnight aircraft (as far as I am aware).
I count 21 stands in total at T3 (including Stand 1 which can be accessed from both T1 & T3). Ryanair are basing 19 aircraft (I think?) and BA overnight 2 aircraft (again, I think?).
This would add up to 21, however, stands 16/17/18 are for a maximum size of an ATR/Embraer (max 195). So therefore, I would expect ops to park some Ryanair aircraft remotely until their required to be towed to a free T3 stand, as not all flights will depart within the first wave of departures (around 5.30am-8am).

SWBKCB
8th Mar 2022, 14:23
As the aviation sector was savaged by the pandemic, it’s estimated there were more than 2,000 redundancies made from Manchester Airport. They included around 700 people employed directly by the hub, including in management positions, and more than 1,500 by outside employers like baggage handling agents and airlines.

One Manchester Airports Group (MAG) staff member who asked not to be named told the Manchester Evening News : “It’s been so bad that they have been asking firefighters, engineers and parking staff to offload the bags onto the conveyors in the Arrivals hall. I think the summer is going to be horrendous, at this rate we just won’t have the staff, and morale is already low. I just hope that we get the staff we need in time and get back to normal."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-firefighters-load-baggage-23279210

MANFOD
8th Mar 2022, 14:34
Ryanair are basing 19 aircraft (I think?)

That was the number in the initial ACL report based on slot requests, which would be an increase from 12 based. As far as I'm aware, there has not been an update since so we don't know what slots have been returned. Personally, I doubt very much there will be 19 based, in part because I believe a few slots were not able to be allocated and some others were well outside the times requested, but also because I'd be surprised if Ryanair really intended to jump from 12 to 19 based in one go anyway. Maybe a declaration of intent for the future.

Traditionally, Ryanair have also had a not insignificant number of flights with non-based aircraft which has helped MAN with the constraints on T3 capacity - in the terminal not just parking stands.

I would like to think we'll see 15 based, still a decent increase, but I imagine we should know shortly.

MANFAN
8th Mar 2022, 14:53
That was the number in the initial ACL report based on slot requests, which would be an increase from 12 based. As far as I'm aware, there has not been an update since so we don't know what slots have been returned. Personally, I doubt very much there will be 19 based, in part because I believe a few slots were not able to be allocated and some others were well outside the times requested, but also because I'd be surprised if Ryanair really intended to jump from 12 to 19 based in one go anyway. Maybe a declaration of intent for the future.

Traditionally, Ryanair have also had a not insignificant number of flights with non-based aircraft which has helped MAN with the constraints on T3 capacity - in the terminal not just parking stands.

I would like to think we'll see 15 based, still a decent increase, but I imagine we should know shortly.

Thanks for the info.

dave59
8th Mar 2022, 19:42
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-firefighters-load-baggage-23279210

Does Burnham ever take any interest in this? Certainly not good for the city's reputation.

SWBKCB
8th Mar 2022, 19:44
Does Burnham ever take any interest in this? Certainly not good for the city's reputation.

Perhaps he could have a word about Uniteds striker selection policy, as well.

irishlad06
8th Mar 2022, 21:43

slot hand back happened two weeks ago. Should see any decreases announced soon if any by all airlines.

OzzyOzBorn
8th Mar 2022, 22:09
Re Summer programme sizes by carrier, events over the next few days in Ukraine will be critical. Oil prices hit a 13-year high earlier today, and as I write WTI crude sits just shy of $125 / bbl. Dependent on how the sanctions regime plays out - and whether Russia responds with an oil supply sanction of its own - fuel prices could still soar much higher. A rise of this magnitude must be reflected in fares for new bookings. And a brutal war will dampen demand for discretionary travel anyway, especially as household bills for energy and groceries etc appear set to go vertical as well. We've become accustomed to super-depressed airport throughput during the covid era, but this war is a huge deal as well. It could prove at least as damaging to the market as the Gulf War was, probably more so. I suspect the degree of damage to the industry will become clear quite soon, but much reduced flying versus the original plans envisaged for S22 is a likely outcome. Those queues may once again evaporate of their own accord, in a way none of us could wish for.

Just to clarify, the overwhelming priority here is the humanitarian crisis affecting the victims of this war. Holiday and travel plans for vacationers are of little significance in comparison to that. But this is an airlines and airports discussion forum, so this is the appropriate place to mention the implications for commercial aviation too. Covid restrictions remain a drag on some markets, but we have a much more scary elephant in the room now. Let's hope that an early pathway to the least awful outcome can be agreed upon soon. But realistically, things look set to get worse before they get better.

MANFOD
9th Mar 2022, 08:40
Re Summer programme sizes by carrier, events over the next few days in Ukraine will be critical. Oil prices hit a 13-year high earlier today, and as I write WTI crude sits just shy of $125 / bbl. Dependent on how the sanctions regime plays out - and whether Russia responds with an oil supply sanction of its own - fuel prices could still soar much higher. A rise of this magnitude must be reflected in fares for new bookings. And a brutal war will dampen demand for discretionary travel anyway, especially as household bills for energy and groceries etc appear set to go vertical as well. We've become accustomed to super-depressed airport throughput during the covid era, but this war is a huge deal as well. It could prove at least as damaging to the market as the Gulf War was, probably more so. I suspect the degree of damage to the industry will become clear quite soon, but much reduced flying versus the original plans envisaged for S22 is a likely outcome. Those queues may once again evaporate of their own accord, in a way none of us could wish for.

Just to clarify, the overwhelming priority here is the humanitarian crisis affecting the victims of this war. Holiday and travel plans for vacationers are of little significance in comparison to that. But this is an airlines and airports discussion forum, so this is the appropriate place to mention the implications for commercial aviation too. Covid restrictions remain a drag on some markets, but we have a much more scary elephant in the room now. Let's hope that an early pathway to the least awful outcome can be agreed upon soon. But realistically, things look set to get worse before they get better.

Unfortunately, I think Ozzy's is a realistic assessment of the potential impact on civil aviation and customer demand caused by the situation in Ukraine, the humanitarian crisis and oil prices. For airlines that hedged fuel prices going forward, the effect may not be so critical, but I suspect they will still adjust fares anyway.

In terms of passenger forecasts at MAN, I imagine some may argue that given the well documented problems associated with staff shortages, management would perhaps not be too dismayed if growth didn't quite come up to initial expectations, particularly at the busy periods. That would be a sad reflection however.

Having suggested previously that in regard to Ryanair I would be pleased to see 15 based aircraft at MAN this summer, realistically that is looking less likely unless the Ukraine crisis and the ramifications are resolved quickly. After covid, this is the last thing aviation needed.

DP.
10th Mar 2022, 11:47

Aside from the fact MAG is operated as a private business, the principal issue at the moment is staff recruitment - there's not a great deal he can do about that.

DomyDom
10th Mar 2022, 19:17
Ryanair launch Manchester to Pescara in Abruzzo region, Italy. Now flying direct twice weekly for Summer 22. Great to see FR laying on even more new routes from MAN.

dave59
10th Mar 2022, 20:14
Aside from the fact MAG is operated as a private business, the principal issue at the moment is staff recruitment - there's not a great deal he can do about that.

I was thinking more about disbanding MAG. The city is still the owner, yet it just takes the dividends. More public accountability is required. I suggest members' mug shots all around the airport to get some local pride back into the place, then at least the traveling public will have someone to blame other than a bunch of faceless spivs.

horatio_b
10th Mar 2022, 20:57
It would be difficult to disband MAG unless the City Council and other local authorities were prepared to stump up the cash to buyout the 35.5% shareholding held by an investment fund based in the Cayman Islands.

DP.
11th Mar 2022, 12:21
I was thinking more about disbanding MAG. The city is still the owner, yet it just takes the dividends.

When you say 'disband', what do you mean exactly? The local authorities taking direct control of the airport, or selling it altogether?

I suggest members' mug shots all around the airport to get some local pride back into the place, then at least the traveling public will have someone to blame other than a bunch of faceless spivs.

Sorry, I thought this was a serious discussion.

SWBKCB
11th Mar 2022, 13:10
When you say 'disband', what do you mean exactly? The local authorities taking direct control of the airport, or selling it altogether?

I think he means selling STN and EMA, and using the 60 odd percentage of the local council ownership to concentrate on the airport being a region assett.

dave59
11th Mar 2022, 14:15

Sorry, I thought this was a serious discussion.

I would say either of the two options above would be better than the present set up, but would prefer direct public control, by a body wholly owned and accountable to the city or city region, even though I suspect that would not be possible because of the way things are done in the UK. Re mug shots: In the US, the mayor of (or the chief of the department of aviation related to the city) often put their name (and photo) prominently in the airport they are proud to serve.

dave59
11th Mar 2022, 14:23
I think he means selling STN and EMA, and using the 60 odd percentage of the local council ownership to concentrate on the airport being a region assett.

Exactly. At the moment we have money grabbing councils with no accountability and privateers pick pocketing passengers and destroying any aspect of a quality airport experience.

Skipness One Foxtrot
11th Mar 2022, 16:59
People will not pay for a quality airport experience in the current market. That's why easyJet and Ryanair bled growth to LPL for years and only came to MAN when a deal was offered. Making that deal meant making up the gap in income from elsewhere which is why paid for trolleys and paid
for drop off came about. It's all about unbundling every cost possible. All of which means the overall experience is often rubbish.

Suzeman
11th Mar 2022, 22:12
I was thinking more about disbanding MAG. The city is still the owner, yet it just takes the dividends. .

And what dividends would that be?
https://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2022/02/mag-warns-the-10-councils-that-own-it-that-they-may-not-get-any-dividends-till-2027/ (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-60418219)

Navpi
12th Mar 2022, 07:08
During Covid the councils actually put in best part of £400m from taxpayers to keep the airport viable, it's one of the reasons i bang on ad nauseum about pure freight traffic.

Manchester is an intrinsic part of the Norths supply chain.
Whilst shifting everything to EMA might be beneficial to MAGs accounts it is detrimental to importers and exporters up here , many of whom are those same taxpayers.

The monies given to MAG last year may be a relatively small amount given the handsome dividends that the councils have enjoyed over many years but they are still significant. I would not be surprised to see them exit now the good times are over.

We should be cognisant of the green lobby and the shift from what was once the pride of Manchester to what is now something of a mill stone, financially and politically.

I would not be suprised to see the councils divest themslves if they can find a suitable buyer.

SWBKCB
12th Mar 2022, 07:42
Whilst shifting everything to EMA might be beneficial to MAGs accounts it is detrimental to importers and exporters up here , many of whom are those same taxpayers.

In what way - can you expand?

Seljuk22
12th Mar 2022, 12:19
As it was mentioned here that FR could base more aircraft this summer, are there any news 2 weeks before summer timetable?
If so I would have expected an announcement by FR mentioning more based aircraft, more jobs, millions of investment etc.

Mark J Bowcock
12th Mar 2022, 15:26
I flew through T1 this morning and it was chaos! The amount of people moaning about the queues and only 3 security lanes open!

Mark J Bowcock
12th Mar 2022, 15:27
As it was mentioned here that FR could base more aircraft this summer, are there any news 2 weeks before summer timetable?
If so I would have expected an announcement by FR mentioning more based aircraft, more jobs, millions of investment etc.
Yes they usually do promote more based aircraft and jobs etc and there’s been nothing! Strange really

planedrive
12th Mar 2022, 16:30
Looking through the schedules for the 28th of March (first Monday of summer schedule), Ryanair appear to have 13 first wave departures, and a total of 58 flights that day. Obviously this will may increase as we move further into the summer season.

For comparison easyJet have 18 first wave departures and 50 flights in total.

HOVIS
12th Mar 2022, 22:16
Singapore returning to 10/week for the summer.

BHX5DME
13th Mar 2022, 09:21
February Pax

STN – 1,150,746 down 39% on Feb 2019

MAN – 1,135,317 down 37% on Feb 2019

EMA – 110,435 down 49% on Feb 2019

Rolling 12m

STN – 8,813,319 up 126% on 12m ago

MAN – 7,772,748 up 111% on 12m ago

EMA – 992,848 UP 91% ON 12M AGO

February Freight

EMA – 35,285 up 4% on Feb 2021

STN – 18,128 down 12% on Feb 2021

MAN – 4,964 up 19% on Feb 2021

dave59
13th Mar 2022, 10:06
And what dividends would that be?
https://www.airportwatch.org.uk/2022/02/mag-warns-the-10-councils-that-own-it-that-they-may-not-get-any-dividends-till-2027/ (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-60418219)

That would hopefully force the issue

Some bed time reading for the councillors

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.manchesterairport.co.uk

https://uk.indeed.com/cmp/Manchester-Airports-Group/reviews (https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.manchesterairport.co.uk)

Navpi
14th Mar 2022, 07:32
In what way - can you expand?

Indeed, when you run a business as i do you quickly become aware that customers want their goods ASAP.

We import much of our "stuff" via airfrieght, the current methodology seems to add days to the process.

1st delay is initial shipment to an airport 200 miles away, as it normally arrives into STN , it now sits there awaiting consolidation with a daily overnight truck to the shed at Manchester. Problem here is the limited trucking frequency as sometimes we have to wait for a suitable slot due demand. Sometimes the goods will go to Heathrow which is actually quicker as there are a multitude of overnight shuttle lorries.

(i do wonder what % of Manchester freight is trucked and skews the figures, are the flown freight figures purely down to a point to point Manchester arrival or do they actually include a significant percentage from EMA or Southern airports passing through the sheds at Manchester ?).

I digress.

1, 2 maybe even 3 days later, our cargo starts moving again, but ironically to as i say its to one of the warehouses adjacent to Manchester Airport where we once used the runway and cargo facilities for the betterment of the wider economy.

Our customers goods now arrive at Manchester airport where they are consildated once again onto a consignment which comes to Amazon at Queensferry.

This part of the story is sensational as the tracking app suggest goods are in the van and out for delivery within 2 hours of arrival.

Hope that is clear for you.

EMACargo
14th Mar 2022, 09:27
Indeed, when you run a business as i do you quickly become aware that customers want their goods ASAP.

We import much of our "stuff" via airfrieght, the current methodology seems to add days to the process.

1st delay is initial shipment to an airport 200 miles away, as it normally arrives into STN , it now sits there awaiting consolidation with a daily overnight truck to the shed at Manchester. Problem here is the limited trucking frequency as sometimes we have to wait for a suitable slot due demand. Sometimes the goods will go to Heathrow which is actually quicker as there are a multitude of overnight shuttle lorries.

(i do wonder what % of Manchester freight is trucked and skews the figures, are the flown freight figures purely down to a point to point Manchester arrival or do they actually include a significant percentage from EMA or Southern airports passing through the sheds at Manchester ?).

I digress.

1, 2 maybe even 3 days later, our cargo starts moving again, but ironically to as i say its to one of the warehouses adjacent to Manchester Airport where we once used the runway and cargo facilities for the betterment of the wider economy.

Our customers goods now arrive at Manchester airport where they are consildated once again onto a consignment which comes to Amazon at Queensferry.

This part of the story is sensational as the tracking app suggest goods are in the van and out for delivery within 2 hours of arrival.

Hope that is clear for you.

up to 3 day delay for goods coming through Stansted must then be down to delays by your freight forwarder. If you are the forwarder then I would be having a call with your account manager at the carrier to see the issues. Whether the goods fly into STN, LHR EMA or MAN, the goods should never take 3 days longer to get to any address in the North West.
perhaps you need to review your carrier

DP.
14th Mar 2022, 15:50

Exactly. At the moment we have money grabbing councils with no accountability and privateers pick pocketing passengers and destroying any aspect of a quality airport experience.

I'm really not clear on what you would expect to see change in either scenario (full public, or full private, ownership). Drop-off charges, parking fees and the likes are not going to disappear or decrease under either scenario. Whether you like it or not, they're here to stay, and they're only going to increase over time. Is there a single major UK airport that doesn't have drop-off charges? None spring to mind.

Skipness One Foxtrot has summed up the issue very neatly above - airlines have cut airport operating margins to the bone, and therefore airport operators have to generate revenue through other avenues. As long as passengers expect cheap flights, this is the world we live in now.

Something obviously needs to be done to tackle the staffing issue, but I don't see how the options you propose would do anything to resolve that.

dave59
14th Mar 2022, 21:43
Is there a single major UK airport that doesn't have drop-off charges? None spring to mind.

The immediate and aggressive assault on the passenger's wallet is a UK speciality and not in my experience mirrored around Europe, despite prevalence of the 'low cost' carriers there too. The infrastructure is also significantly better than the UK equivalent. This will mostly be attributable to the level of public ownership.

According to MAG their "ownership structure is unique and comprises an effective blend of public and private shareholders". It is unique alright. The managers have turned a once proud public utility into a place that employees and passengers alike would prefer to avoid. It is not an effective blend at all.

brian_dromey
14th Mar 2022, 23:28
Travelling through T1 today for the first time in about 3 years it’s clear that
- underinvestment in the fabric of T1 (understandable in a world where TP was going to replace the majority of T1)
- staffing
- revenue loss from the pandemic itself and the number of empty and closed retail units have really effected the airport.

But much of the security nightmare has been drawn on by MAN itself. In T1 today almost every bag was sent for secondary screening. Such was the extent that the bag runoff was full, so the conveyor was paralysed. To solve this unique problem the bags for secondary were being taken off the end and put on the dollies to join another line of bags alongside the runoff. There was just one screener for everyone’s bags. Maybe MAN has identified a particular risk, but this level of secondary screening suggests an issue with training. A floor walker said “no one wants an incident on their watch”. Compare this to AMS, LIN or LHR where nothing has to come out of bags anymore. I decided discretion was probably wise and didn’t point out that planes aren’t exactly being hijacked on daily basis or that MANs attempts are no more effective than any other airport….

One thing for sure. I will never go hand luggage only from MAN while this madness persists. 10 minutes of security queue was pretty good, but I waited another 40 for my bag. I’d have saved time by checking it in.

HKGBOY
15th Mar 2022, 15:29
Travelling through T1 today for the first time in about 3 years it’s clear that
- underinvestment in the fabric of T1 (understandable in a world where TP was going to replace the majority of T1)
- staffing
- revenue loss from the pandemic itself and the number of empty and closed retail units have really effected the airport.

But much of the security nightmare has been drawn on by MAN itself. In T1 today almost every bag was sent for secondary screening. Such was the extent that the bag runoff was full, so the conveyor was paralysed. To solve this unique problem the bags for secondary were being taken off the end and put on the dollies to join another line of bags alongside the runoff. There was just one screener for everyone’s bags. Maybe MAN has identified a particular risk, but this level of secondary screening suggests an issue with training. A floor walker said “no one wants an incident on their watch”. Compare this to AMS, LIN or LHR where nothing has to come out of bags anymore. I decided discretion was probably wise and didn’t point out that planes aren’t exactly being hijacked on daily basis or that MANs attempts are no more effective than any other airport….

One thing for sure. I will never go hand luggage only from MAN while this madness persists. 10 minutes of security queue was pretty good, but I waited another 40 for my bag. I’d have saved time by checking it in.
I've used the same carry on with the same contents all over the world & it has never been pulled for secondary screening anywhere except MAN. About 50% of the time this happens. After the 30+ minute wait for search, nothing is found. Apart from the decade of short staffing security at MAN, a lot of the delays are often self inflicted...not by pax but by MAN. Meanwhile in Israel, Shannon & more airports, even 100ml+ liquids are allowed in cabin without secondary screening.As part of your ticket fee, MAN charge £6.38 per person for security screening. https://assets.live.dxp.maginfrastructure.com/f/73114/x/a1fdcb573a/man-fees-and-charges-booklet-from-august-2021.pdf

TURIN
15th Mar 2022, 19:55
Securtity staff are scared to death of losing their job by missing something. There used to be a 3 strikes and you are out rule, I was told that it was now 1 and off you go. Could be just a rumour but it would explain the ridiculous bag checks.

Suzeman
15th Mar 2022, 19:55
Navpi;11199608]

As far as I know the figures quoted in the MAN statistics only covers freight that is flown in and out of the Airport.. Therefore they do not include any freight which is trucked from industry into the sheds and then consolidated into a load which is then trucked out to another airport. The reverse also applies when a consolidated load arrives by truck from another airport and is broken down for collection. None of these movements appear in the quoted statistics.

20 years ago a survey carried out for the airport concluded that the flown freight figure could be increased by around 50% to get the total tonnage passing through the forwarders transit sheds on airport in the World Freight Centre. However, it was impossible to work out how much air freight was being carried to/from the region which was by-passing facilities at the airport and being taken to off-airport transit sheds or direct from the factory to other airports.

I am not aware if any further work has been done on this and many things have changed - such as the loss of most all-freight flights and the growth of Fed Ex, UPS, DHL etc.

Ironically, the early hours sees the introduction of Lufthansa's new twice weekly A321F service. Meanwhile Fedex are scrapping their B757F service to CDG via BHX at the end of the month as they are now building up a hub at EMA.

Suzeman
15th Mar 2022, 19:57
Securtity staff are scared to death of losing their job by missing something. There used to be a 3 strikes and you are out rule, I was told that it was now 1 and off you go. Could be just a rumour but it would explain the ridiculous bag checks.

Certainly used to be 3 strikes and you are out. Staff are monitored continuously for any errors so very high pressure.

brian_dromey
15th Mar 2022, 22:53
Certainly used to be 3 strikes and you are out. Staff are monitored continuously for any errors so very high pressure.
One strike and out seems a bit unfair and I wonder how it compares to other airports?
Does MAN genuinely have a higher risk profile than other airports? If that is the case the extra checks can be justified. If MAN is comparable to local airports and airports across the western world it’s much more difficult to justify.
The introduction of CT scanners should make a dramatic improvement. But I’m sure MAN will have their own unique interpretation of the system.

MANFAN
16th Mar 2022, 00:01

Wow...a very unfair rule indeed!
What are the unions saying about this ridiculous rule?!

You wouldn't get away with having such a rule in place in for example, France or Germany, unions would be all over it!

Dorking
16th Mar 2022, 08:55

Little wonder that they are having trouble recruiting staff if that is how they work..In the past I have deliberately sought out the supervisors and managers to complain and found them to have, without exception, a smug, self satisfied and unpleasant attitude about them. Clearly the security queue faults lay entirely with the management and that starts at the top..Which is entirely within the remit of MAG to fix. No one else.

SCFC1EP
16th Mar 2022, 19:20
went through security last week in T1 carried as little as possible in the tray went my coat and one clear bag that the airport issue free as you enter the queue.
In the bag had my car keys, phone , passport paperwork boarding card locator forms etc and loose cash not in a wallet
The guy taking the trays onto the belt asked what was in the clear bag and did I have any liquids laptop or electrical items in a arrogant tone, now I'm all for security and would want it to be done seriously and nothing missed but there attitude and customer service is nothing but unpleasant and the guy got a swift response can you not see whats in the clear bag you tell us to place our items in there, sorry but they get reply in same tone as yourself are greeted with.
Yes also noticed that more bags were going for a second search than those that were passed after scan, and the queue for security at 0530hrs on a Tuesday was out and nearly full length of check i n hall, god help us come summer timetable and school holidays
Our flight was 0640hrs and we had to approach member of staff said if we joined the queue we would never catch the flight, at least one member of staff was approachable, no problem join through fast track queue only problem was there was dozens off others in the same queue same problem

lfc84
16th Mar 2022, 19:22
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1080x1428/img_20220316_191709_b299435e63701b30c6b63b08b4be523df4358c05 .jpg

sherburn2LA
16th Mar 2022, 20:11
Government should tell them they can only schedule the number of flights they have the infrastructure to serve. You would think they would be happy to bash a few Labour counclis.

TURIN
16th Mar 2022, 20:28
Government should tell them they can only schedule the number of flights they have the infrastructure to serve. You would think they would be happy to bash a few Labour counclis.

Actually, they're not all Labour run councils, at least three of them have no overall countrol.

SWBKCB
16th Mar 2022, 20:46
Manchester airport statement: “At times today, security queues in Terminal One have been significantly longer than we would like due to a combination of factors. With the rapid recovery of international travel, it has been much more difficult to predict passenger volumes based on the flights that are due to depart.

"Today, we saw more people than we were expecting, which put a considerable strain on our operation. This was compounded by up to 60% of customer bags being rejected as they passed through security because they contained restricted items – a much higher rate than we typically experience.

“Our colleagues have worked tirelessly to process passengers as quickly as they can and we would like to thank them for their dedication throughout the day. We have deployed staff from other parts of the operation to assist in security and, wherever possible, we have prioritised customers within the queue in order to ensure they make their flights.“We would like to apologise to those impacted by today’s challenges and assure them we are doing all we can to rectify the situation. It is likely waiting times will continue to be longer than we would like for the remainder of this evening, and would urge anyone due to travel through Manchester Airport to arrive at the earliest time recommended by their airline and to ensure they are as prepared as they can be to pass through security.”
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-apologises-over-passenger-23412247

LFC22
16th Mar 2022, 22:01
MAG can paint it any way they want, but that queue is horrendous. Manchester Airport has been getting very bad press lately, it's being noticed by a wider audience and it's going to result in those passengers using LPL/BHX/EDI, maybe even LHR/LGW

Skipness One Foxtrot
16th Mar 2022, 23:33
So if they are this slow at Security screening, with someone being quoted as 60% of bags going for secondary search at certain times, surely to goodness the CAA needs to get involved. This is not a confident, professional, efficient operation. And given it's importance, it needs to be. Security at MAN has been doing their own special thing for years, with the result they've become a joke. This needs the regulator to have a closer look.

That 60% rejection figure is indicative of poor tech and hardware or poor training. At that level and localised once more to Manchester, it's delusional to blame the customer.

Navpi
17th Mar 2022, 07:30
Why do we always get quotes from that "anonymous airport spokesman".

Where is the CEO who came from East Midlands?

Manchester is becoming a laughing stock.

If this was a football team the manager would be facing the sack

AndrewH52
17th Mar 2022, 07:34
To provide a bit of balance, my wife and I traveled through T2 10 days ago, passing through security around 11:30am. We were through in less than ten minutes and all of the staff we dealt with were polite and pretty chipper.

Whether there are specific issues in Terms of T1 is another matter. The sheer volume of higher load factor LCC departures in such a limited period is obviously at risk of pushing the system to breaking point. I don’t know how that can be fixed in the short term.

SWBKCB
17th Mar 2022, 08:17
That 60% rejection figure is indicative of poor tech and hardware or poor training. At that level and localised once more to Manchester, it's delusional to blame the customer.

Agreed - it can't just be MAN pax. There always seems to be an underlying tone in these airport statments of 'everybody's fault but ours'.

lfc84
17th Mar 2022, 08:28
They're unable to admit fault because people will sue them for costs of rebooked flights

Mr A Tis
17th Mar 2022, 08:54
This "More passengers than we were expecting..." just does not wash, when schedules are well known in advance.
This security shambles has gone on at MAN far too long and was an issue pre Covid.
It is time the airport owned this shambles & someone should be out !
The agreed security processing time with the CAA is 15 minutes- so it's time the CAA stepped in.
To think pax pay MAN over six quid each in fees to be "processed" through security. Every single pax should be re-imbursed this fee until they get their act together.
MAN needs to be also paying for all the re-bookings for missed flights along with compensation for not meeting their agreed processing agreement with the CAA.
They need to be capping the movement slots to reflect their ability to process passengers.

DP.
17th Mar 2022, 09:32
This "More passengers than we were expecting..." just does not wash, when schedules are well known in advance.
This security shambles has gone on at MAN far too long and was an issue pre Covid.
It is time the airport owned this shambles & someone should be out !
The agreed security processing time with the CAA is 15 minutes- so it's time the CAA stepped in.
To think pax pay MAN over six quid each in fees to be "processed" through security. Every single pax should be re-imbursed this fee until they get their act together.
MAN needs to be also paying for all the re-bookings for missed flights along with compensation for not meeting their agreed processing agreement with the CAA.
They need to be capping the movement slots to reflect their ability to process passengers.

I find it hard to disagree with any of that. This is solely down to MAG at this point. 'More people than we were expecting' is a frankly laughable excuse. There is no reason why they shouldn't know the number of passengers expected, +/- 5% perhaps, days in advance of the flight. Do they really expect us to believe that there is vast wave of people booking flights at the last minute that is completely throwing their resourcing off?

As noted above, if 60% of trays are being rejected and sent for secondary search then that is clearly a problem with equipment or processes, or both. I have never seen anything even close to that at any other airport.

The Flying Stool
17th Mar 2022, 09:37
I'm flight crew operating out of Terminal 2. Security queues are regularly in excess of 90 minutes which is plainly unacceptable. On one occasion last week, I witnessed the father of a young family asking if there was a toilet nearby for their small children to use. The security operative said "no". The father then replied with " we've been in this queue for almost two hours. I'm going to have to let my son urinate in the corner". This is a totally inhumane situation caused purely by Manchester Airport's incompetence.

lfc84
17th Mar 2022, 10:36
I'm flight crew operating out of Terminal 2. Security queues are regularly in excess of 90 minutes which is plainly unacceptable. One one occasuon last week, I witnessed the father of a young family asking if there was a toilet nearby for their small children to use. The security operative said "no". The father then replied with " we've been in this queue for almost two hours. I'm going to have to let my son urinate in the corner". This is a totally inhumane situation caused purely buy Manchester Airport's incompetence.
That's outrageous

ATNotts
17th Mar 2022, 10:59
Isn't the problem at MAN and many other UK airports that they have changed their business model from serving "quality" or full service carriers to chasing carriers that appear to believe that they shouldn't be paying for the services that the airport operators has provided to them directly, such as runway, taxiway and terminal infrastructure without which the airport cannot exist, and the carriers aircraft can not operate without? This leads first to underpaying staff, and employing too few staff, then to not being able to obtain or retain staff who will go off to do better, or shall we say, less stressful roles such as deliveries online groceries for major supermarkets.

Passengers will be quite rightly miffed if they see that they are paying £6 each to stand in a 90 minute queue for security, being asked to pay for baggage carts, and their friends and relatives charged extortionate fees for dropping off and picking up.

The model is broken. Major airports such as MAN, GLA, EDI, BHX that have historically offered passengers of quality airlines a half decent service stood up to these low cost airlines and called their bluff. If the likes of MAN called Ryanair's bluff (to name but one of the culprits) and told them their either paid the rate for the job or went elsewhere they would surely throw a hissy fit and up-sticks for a season or so, then be back a season or so later, willing to negotiate sensibly.

Sadly, for the likes of EMA, STN, BRS etc such a strategy isn't really an option as they have chucked all their eggs into the LCC basket - though in the case of EMA cargo could give them some wriggle room.

As an aside, when you look at the passenger rating for most UK airports showing on FR24 are somewhere in the 3.2 - 3.7 out of 5 region. That's a pretty dismal reflection on where passenger service has gone over the past few year - basically down the proverbial pan.

Skipness One Foxtrot
17th Mar 2022, 11:20
How come Stansted which is basically overwhelmingly Ryanair and owned by MAG doesn't have the same issue? No, this is a local problem.

ATNotts
17th Mar 2022, 11:24
How come Stansted which is basically overwhelmingly Ryanair and owned by MAG doesn't have the same issue? No, this is a local problem.

Have MAG perhaps cross subsidised STN from MAN as STN, being a "London airport" is the perceived jewel in their crown? EMA has certainly has had diddly squat invested in their passenger offering for years, and it shows and I suspect that the experience of PAX there is little better than at MAN, though on a smaller scale.

bar none
17th Mar 2022, 11:28
So if they are this slow at Security screening, with someone being quoted as 60% of bags going for secondary search at certain times, surely to goodness the CAA needs to get involved. This is not a confident, professional, efficient operation. And given it's importance, it needs to be. Security at MAN has been doing their own special thing for years, with the result they've become a joke. This needs the regulator to have a closer look.

Further to the comments above whichever government department is responsible for the UK transport infrastructure should now step in, Starting at the top MAG have shown that they are either incompetent or indifferent to the problem. Manchester airport is a national asset too important to be crucified in the way it is being. I know that of the choke points incoming queues are the responsibility of the Border Force, and check in the responsibility of the handling agencies but MAG should be shouting from the rooftops for improvement. Perhaps they are embarrassed to do so because the biggest choke point of all, namely security, is entirely their responsibility.

TURIN
17th Mar 2022, 11:31
Are there many local businesses near Stansted that are attracting workers? I think one of the problems MAN has is that it is located in a relatively thriving area, people who used to gravitate to the airport no longer need to. As has been pointed out, the race to the bottom is complete. Until MAG/Swissport/Dnata/Menzies etc start paying over the going rate and offering good incentives to keep loyal staff they will continue to struggle. Working conditions in T1 in particular are very poor. Toilets are filthy, there's are no hot food available unless you go and queue with the rest of the passengers at Burger King or Greggs. For an airport this size to have no staff canteen facilities is criminal.
It will get a lot worse before it gets better.

eye2eye5
17th Mar 2022, 11:45
Note also that Airport City is attracting warehousing which inevitably will tend to compete for the same staff demographic.

commit aviation
17th Mar 2022, 11:48
Have MAG perhaps cross subsidised STN from MAN as STN, being a "London airport" is the perceived jewel in their crown? EMA has certainly has had diddly squat invested in their passenger offering for years, and it shows and I suspect that the experience of PAX there is little better than at MAN, though on a smaller scale.

From what I have heard, it's the exact opposite

dave59
17th Mar 2022, 12:01
That's outrageous

At what point do elected representatives say enough is enough? In response to a complaint I had a letter from Sir Richard Leese many years ago and he commented that some of the processes at the airport were "clearly unacceptable" yet nothing was ever done about it. The 'arms length' holding company (with "innovative" Ryanair-style management) can run the place however it likes, race it to the bottom, strip out every cost and pair everything to the bone. There should be no surprises that there is never any slack in the system because that is the way it is set up. The MAG cash cow has dried up so this combined with increasing negative publicity should hopefully concentrate minds at the City of Manchester.

biddedout
17th Mar 2022, 12:10
One problem at MAN was the mix of lo-cost and full service airlines particularly on T3. The lo-cos refused to pay for air bridges so some were removed, the remainder were poorly maintained or broken and out of service and amongst the handling agents, there were never enough qualified bridge drivers. Last minute changes for full fare airlines wanting bridges meant there was always chaos with busses and steps blocking the aprons. The loco's developed a habit of holding a whole aircraft's worth of pax in the stand stairwells which was almost certainly a H&S / fire hazard and of course they wouldn't pay for enough gate staff so these herds of passengers often ended up released into the wild and randomly wandering around on the apron with very little supervision. Another safety hazard that was regularly reported but the CAA and MAG didn't seem interested so long as hundreds of cones and barriers were sprinkled around.

One way to fix MAN would be to introduce consistency and either scrap bridges across the board or get them all fixed up and working properly with enough qualified drivers and force Lo-cos to pay for and use them.

The96er
17th Mar 2022, 12:44
One problem at MAN was the mix of lo-cost and full service airlines particularly on T3. The lo-cos refused to pay for air bridges so some were removed.

One way to fix MAN would be to introduce consistency and either scrap bridges across the board or get them all fixed up and working properly with enough qualified drivers and force Lo-cos to pay for and use them.

There’s no additional charges for Airbridge use at MAN.

biddedout
17th Mar 2022, 12:49
Even better, get them fixed, train more staff to use them, make all jet use them and get rid of some of the clutter.

davidjohnson6
17th Mar 2022, 12:50
What powers does the CAA or DfT have in cases where security screening takes far too long ?
Yes, I know they can have lots of meeting with MAG, but as long as no bombs or bottles of water get through security screening how is the CAA able to intervene ? I'm assuming the CAA is not going to go nuclear and strip MAG of its licence to run an airport

brian_dromey
17th Mar 2022, 12:53
I dont see why boarding with steps is a safety issue? Airports all across the world, outside North America, manage it just fine. What are the safety and security risks you perceive, I think H&S and fire hazards are fairly low-risk occurrences. The fire doors are closed, rather than being locked? While ramps can be dangerous places people need to take responsibility for their own safety too. Thats as applicable on airport ramps as walking on the street.

The floor walker I mentioned earlier said 73%. He was incredulous that people just dont know what to pack...I did say no other airport has that level of rejection bust decided it wasn't worth winding him up by pointing out that if only 1 in 4 people can meet their standard perhaps the standard is wrong, rather than assuming 3 out of 4 users are idiots and that they are only idiotic at MAN, not on the return/outbound half of their journey?

globetrotter79
17th Mar 2022, 14:54
What powers does the CAA or DfT have in cases where security screening takes far too long ?
Yes, I know they can have lots of meeting with MAG, but as long as no bombs or bottles of water get through security screening how is the CAA able to intervene ? I'm assuming the CAA is not going to go nuclear and strip MAG of its licence to run an airport
I'm not sure the CAA would have so much interest in how MAG are carrying out the screening, rather if they are failing to meet the maximum queuing time limits then presumably the CAA has the ability to impose fines which, I guess we assume, are intended to encourage the airport operator to invest in additional equipment and/or labour to be able to meet the queuing time limits

LTNman
17th Mar 2022, 15:28
Manchester Airport sorry as huge queues lead to missed flights https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-60778493

CW247
17th Mar 2022, 16:42
I have been at STN and LHR on days where 60% of bags went into the extra checks lane and I have been at the same airports on days where despite the same level of busyness, it's been less than 30%. It's like there's some kind of sensitive dial they twist as it suits them. People who don't follow packing instructions are random. They don't come in defined blocks.

Mr A Tis
17th Mar 2022, 16:43
Here you go : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59729673
No, not from yesterday, but from December 20th.
The excuse? The airport said it had faced "a greater number of passengers than expected .
When does the Management get to understand the slots they have allocated? 3 months on & blow me down passengers keep turning up. How could we have known?

DP.
17th Mar 2022, 16:51
I've just seen a notification warning of the likelihood of 'considerable queues at security' in both T1 and T2 tomorrow, so it looks like we can expect another s**tshow.

davidjohnson6
17th Mar 2022, 17:00
Has there been any recent increase in security awareness level from the police, MI5 or MoD, warning of people about to do naughty things with bombs in the next few days ? It's the only reason I can think of for somebody deciding to calibrate the security screening process to a high level of sensitivity. If it was due to Russia/Ukraine, I presume all major airports in the UK would be affected - unless of course Manchester airport is particularly lacking in its ability to screen (efficiently) for security risks.

EZYPZY
17th Mar 2022, 17:07
Some positive news. Another new easyJet route to La Rochelle has been announced. Twice weekly (Wed & Sun) commences 3rd July.

MANFAN
17th Mar 2022, 19:09
I've just seen a notification warning of the likelihood of 'considerable queues at security' in both T1 and T2 tomorrow, so it looks like we can expect another s**tshow.

A notification warning? Is this only available for internal employees?

I'm due to travel to Malaga Next Tuesday at 6.20am from T1. And friends of mine are travelling to Geneva at 1pm this Saturday, also from T1...are there any warnings for these days/times?

AircraftOperations
17th Mar 2022, 20:14
Here you go : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59729673
No, not from yesterday, but from December 20th.
The excuse? The airport said it had faced "a greater number of passengers than expected .
When does the Management get to understand the slots they have allocated? 3 months on & blow me down passengers keep turning up. How could we have known?

In the UK, what is the shortest period of time that your new security officers could be on the front line from, say, an initial application? I'm assuming there are a number of weeks or months to pass background security checks and complete training?
Can a security officer from another UK airport (even a group airport) just be dropped in to work or do they need to be cleared at each airport?

Navpi
18th Mar 2022, 08:02
Is it about time the management started to get a grip and come under some kind of scrutiny?

The queues re security issue has brought into focus a key issue but it is one of many and this gets publicity because the public are front and centre, but this as we all know is the tip of the iceberg.

Bringing a lightweight from East Midlands to manage a major international gateway has in my opinion proved disastrous. I appreciate we have had Covid but that should not be used as an excuse to cover a multitude of problems that Manchester is now facing, many of which appear self inflicted and are unrelated to the pandemic.

As i have mentioned ad nauem for me the total abdication of providing a pure freight facility from what "WAS" a key component within the North's supply chain where Manchester was once a major artery is nigh on unforgivable. I'm a beneficiary of this managed transfer, i therefore have an interest.

(On a theme am i correct in believing we have now lost long time user FedEx ?)

The area of expertise in moving every cargo flight to EMA has been clinical, its the one area where management have excelled, it won't get the abject publicity that the media love but for business it's no less critical.

Stand back and admire the way we have effectively constructed a narrative where it's fine to hand over hundreds of jobs to the Midlands without a peep from that same media who are now all over the security issues.

Whilst discussing jobs let us not forget another significant loss which was of course Air Livery, a first class employer by all accounts providing high quality jobs and apprenticeships. They inexplicably disappeared to be replaced by fresh air ! The hangar has remained empty nigh on 3 years as has the Thomas Cook facility.

As i understand it Manchester has no undercover engineering options so an engine change by way of example is executed on the tarmac, meanwhile tumble weed blows through both of these facilities.

Who owns them ?
Why are they being left to stagnate?
Who manages these facilities?

The one bright spot is the new terminal and no doubt the management would slap themselves on the back suggesting the delivery of this as there backstop of success, but as we know this isn't without problems as it's expansion has somewhat incredibly left us with zero apron space and a net deficit of stand numbers we had previously.

Spectacular planning there lads and lasses !!!

Memo to management , we are supposed to be growing the business and allowing space for expansion not regressing backwards.

The excuse re space is then routinely used as the default position re limited facilities and handling. It's called sweating the assets, utilise every available stand , if that means boxing in airlines/ aircraft to the point where they might be "persuaded" go to other airports in the group (see cargo again) so be it.

Manchester is now led by a management team so one eyed and focused on its own profitability that it's completely lost its way in terms of how it fits into the wider fabric of the N West /Northern economy.

The purchase of East Midlands and Stansted was clearly an absolute Godsend for the group as a whole, it was an undeniable masterstroke for the group, but has been in my view been an unmitigated disaster for Manchester itself.

I don't want to harp back to the regime of Gil Thomson but I will, everytime he spoke it was about creating an airport that was for the betterment not just of the airport but of the region as whole, he had a strategy to attract all business and crucially his team never missed a revenue opportunity.

Sadly for Manchester the board at MAG are now so focused on their own group balance sheet that the holostic attitude GTs team had to the wider area, appears to have been totally decapitated.

DP.
18th Mar 2022, 10:18
A notification warning? Is this only available for internal employees?

I'm due to travel to Malaga Next Tuesday at 6.20am from T1. And friends of mine are travelling to Geneva at 1pm this Saturday, also from T1...are there any warnings for these days/times?

Nothing for beyond today as yet. They probably have enough on their hands dealing with the mess on any given day, let alone forecasting anything beyond that. It sounds like T2 has been worse than T1 this morning.

lfc84
18th Mar 2022, 10:24
MANFAN

My suggestion is go to Manchester airport website and look at the departures for your date of travel and note the terminal. It will give you an idea of how busy it will be

DP.
18th Mar 2022, 10:27
The one bright spot is the new terminal and no doubt the management would slap themselves on the back suggesting the delivery of this as there backstop of success, but as we know this isn't without problems as it's expansion has somewhat incredibly left us with zero apron space and a net deficit of stand numbers we had previously.

Spectacular planning there lads and lasses !!!

Memo to management , we are supposed to be growing the business and allowing space for expansion not regressing backwards.

You actually make some reasonable points, but then ruin it with things like this. The redevelopment work, including the airfield, is not complete and has been on hold for the best part of two years. It is unfair to suggest that they are not focused on growing the business when a global pandemic brought all plans to a grinding halt.

Mr Mac
18th Mar 2022, 10:38
Well I had the misfortune to travel through MAN yesterday and witnessed first hand the length of the lines for security. Luckily I was able to avoid them by use of Fast Track, however for those not willing to pay for it, or get it as part of their ticket it looked horrendous.
Mrs Mac has just gone through for her flight and says still long lines but not as bad, as not outside but back to check in T1 and down concourse. She did Fast Track and did car to lounge in 30 min which is pretty good going. However I do not think the management have come out of this very well as the optics on the news look dreadful.
I am in Frankfurt awaiting flight to Amman and even though it’s busy there is nothing like the chaos I witnessed yesterday. As an observation there seems to be a lot of people who do not realise what they can and cannot put in carry on as there were long queues for bags being re scanned for liquid and hair straighteners bizarrely were I went through. Perhaps it is because Manchester has more bucket and spade traffic ie once or twice a year travellers I do not know.

Cheers
Mr Mac

globetrotter79
18th Mar 2022, 16:36
New Manchester transatlantic operation being rumoured on socials...
WestJet Toronto...Air Canada Vancouver or Virgin (re)launch of Los Angeles, perhaps?
Or maybe just Norse Atlantic joining the existing throng on (somewhere near) New York and Orlando!

HOVIS
18th Mar 2022, 16:39
WestJet Toronto...Air Canada Vancouver or Virgin (re)launch of Los Angeles, perhaps?
Or maybe just Norse Atlantic joining the existing throng on (somewhere near) New York and Orlando!
Air Canada are definitely back this summer. Not sure of destination.

4eyed anorak
18th Mar 2022, 17:42
Apparently its an airline exercising 5th freedom!

Regards 4ea

Rutan16
18th Mar 2022, 18:08
Apparently its an airline exercising 5th freedom!

Regards 4ea

Biman then !

roverman
18th Mar 2022, 20:27
Biman then !

I heard a whisper that it is Ethiopian. They have or did have an ADD-DUB-LAX service, so it could be a switch of that one or a new route entirely. Exciting, but will there be many seats on sale ex-MAN going west?

HOVIS
19th Mar 2022, 01:12
Biman then !
That rings a bell. Wasn't that a rumour on here a while ago? Pre covid maybe?

boredintheairport
19th Mar 2022, 10:38
I heard a whisper that it is Ethiopian. They have or did have an ADD-DUB-LAX service, so it could be a switch of that one or a new route entirely. Exciting, but will there be many seats on sale ex-MAN going west?
Ethiopians's trans-atlantic flights via Dublin are not fifth freedom so perhaps not the most likely bet. I also saw an article from Ireland that indicated Ethiopian want to launch a seasonal ADD-MAN-DUB service. Unlikely that demand could justify two ET flights.

My wager would be a carrier like Biman or Gulf Air (maybe even Kuwait?).

Curious Pax
19th Mar 2022, 10:47
Ethiopians's trans-atlantic flights via Dublin are not fifth freedom so perhaps not the most likely bet. I also saw an article from Ireland that indicated Ethiopian want to launch a seasonal ADD-MAN-DUB service. Unlikely that demand could justify two ET flights.

My wager would be a carrier like Biman or Gulf Air (maybe even Kuwait?).

Changing ADD-BRU-MAN to ADD-MAN-DUB seems a bit odd as they already route several flights from ADD to North America, so not short of ADD-DUB capacity (unless it’s just a fuel stop and/or a security check). Perhaps DUB is a red herring until they announce the real destination? Failing that, Biman have been rumoured to run JFK or Toronto flights through MAN for years.

boredintheairport
19th Mar 2022, 11:04
Changing ADD-BRU-MAN to ADD-MAN-DUB seems a bit odd as they already route several flights from ADD to North America, so not short of ADD-DUB capacity (unless it’s just a fuel stop and/or a security check). Perhaps DUB is a red herring until they announce the real destination? Failing that, Biman have been rumoured to run JFK or Toronto flights through MAN for years.
I am going to try and post the article. No idea of the veracity - it came up in my Google recommended articles screen. https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/ethiopian-airlines-eyes-new-dublin-route-via-uk-41442765.html

There is no ET flight to Dublin. You cannot buy a seat to Dublin from ADD. Two reasons: it would be about 4am in Dublin on arrival, and second most critical - they don't stop there on the way back. I think the change is more to do with over capacity to Brussels. They have the Manchester stopper as well as a flight via Vienna. With demand dampened this might be a little too much.

Rutan16
19th Mar 2022, 11:06

From a purely economic point of view why would Ethiopian route a west bound through Manchester whilst routing a least three others via Dublin a few hundred flying miles away ?
BTW the east bounds fly over Dublin nonstop

However did find this on the Irish government transport web site quoting With regards to Ethiopian Airlines operating fifth freedom passenger air services, in 2015, my Department approved an Addis Ababa - Dublin - Los Angeles return service, which operated until Q4 2018. In late 2018, my Department approved an Addis Ababa - Madrid - Dublin return service, with Madrid being a technical stop only. This was changed to a fifth freedom service for the summer 2019 season, once all aeronautical authorities granted approval.

My Department has recently received a formal application from Ethiopian Airlines to operate an Addis Ababa - Brussels - Dublin with return service for the winter 2019 season. This would replace the Madrid 5th freedom route. The Department is currently initiating a process of stakeholder engagement and evaluation before determining whether or not to grant an authorisation for this service.

Seems a few years old however possibly source of the debate if Ethiopian are recasting some of the North Western European routes.
I suppose Dublin looses the triangle via Madrid gaining our Brussels tag whilst Manchester gains a non stop from Addis going on over the Atlantic a lá Singapore. 5th freedom shouldn’t be an issue via the UK either .

Rutan16
19th Mar 2022, 11:39
Apparently Addis - Dublin - Addis flights are currently suspended , the Madrid link replaced with Madrid-Rome (FCO) -Addis triangle ..

So currently no local traffic between Eire and the land of origin at the moment

Just tech stops east bound onto Washington, Toronto and Chicago

BTW if it is them onto Los Angeles anyone talked with the handlers as their in for shock and a very early start as westbound it’s gonna be 3 or 4 in the morning !

commit aviation
19th Mar 2022, 19:13
I am hearing from a well place source that organisational changes have been announced this week. New Deputy CEO role to whom the airport MDs will report with empowered airports able to make decisions autonomously.
Not going to change things overnight but sounds like a de-centralisation of decision making which might help.

SCFC1EP
19th Mar 2022, 19:56
Fedex are scrapping their B757F service to CDG via BHX at the end of the month as they are now building up a hub at EMA.

EMA to get a 4 weekly B763F EMA-CDG-EMA starting 28/3/22 another airline and route very unlikely to return to MAN, distant memories of the days we had Fedex MD-11's
Suzeman is offline Report Post (https://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=11200435)

Navpi
20th Mar 2022, 07:35
You actually make some reasonable points, but then ruin it with things like this. The redevelopment work, including the airfield, is not complete and has been on hold for the best part of two years. It is unfair to suggest that they are not focused on growing the business when a global pandemic brought all plans to a grinding halt.

To be fair a major expansion of facilities SHOULD have also seen a commensurate expansion of apron space.

It's blinding obvious that there was little room for manoeuvre. You cannot expand East due M56, you cannot go South due the Cheshire boundary, and East is problematic due underground infastructure.

Yes i accept the timing of Covid was unfortunate but we now have a situation where we have a brand new glitzy terminal which has swallowed up a percentage of the available stands with a knock effect in terms of operability. Of course it's great having brilliant facilities and new piers that take you straight to the aircraft but thats pointless if that swallows up what little parking you have available.

Where do new based units go if airlines coming out of the Covid mess wish to expand ?

AndrewH52
20th Mar 2022, 09:48
Technically it’s not a major expansion of facilities. The extension of T2 was always pitched as replacement capacity for T1 not additional.

Navpi
20th Mar 2022, 10:08
I am hearing from a well place source that organisational changes have been announced this week. New Deputy CEO role to whom the airport MDs will report with empowered airports able to make decisions autonomously.
Not going to change things overnight but sounds like a de-centralisation of decision making which might help.

So Karen Smart is getting a boss onsite presumbly ?

I cannot see how decisions will be autonomous.
If a pure cargo airline ever wishes to serve Manchester (now unlikely) , will MAG rules not over reach any regional decisions ?

Just on a theme re freight and apron space, a controversial idea, could Manchester not demolish the freight village and move everything to the truck warehousing on the west side of the A538 ?

commit aviation
20th Mar 2022, 10:30
I think more financial autonomy but take the point everything flows down from the top in some way.
Full info was on their internal website so someone who works there might be able to say more

CCFAIRPORT
22nd Mar 2022, 12:18
1 extra flight (Wed) on the MAN-CCF route for this summer (now 3 pw)

Mark J Bowcock
22nd Mar 2022, 17:39
I’m travelling on Vueling next Monday 28th March. App I have to check in and go through security in T1 then go onto T3 once airside! On arrival back the plane will go onto T3. So I take it they ain’t opening security in T3? And if not it’s going to be even more chaos in T1!

planedrive
22nd Mar 2022, 18:35
150 flights scheduled to depart through T1 security on Monday... that's gonna be fun... :rolleyes:

Mark J Bowcock
22nd Mar 2022, 18:44
150 flights scheduled to depart through T1 security on Monday... that's gonna be fun... :rolleyes:it’s going to be chaos! What are they thinking!

MANFAN
22nd Mar 2022, 18:44
I’m travelling on Vueling next Monday 28th March. App I have to check in and go through security in T1 then go onto T3 once airside! On arrival back the plane will go onto T3. So I take it they ain’t opening security in T3? And if not it’s going to be even more chaos in T1!

Vueling will continue to operate into and out of T1. The list of airlines moving to T3 are in the attached link
https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/03/10/manchester-airport-to-reopen-terminal-3-on-march-27/

Mark J Bowcock
22nd Mar 2022, 18:55
[QUOTE=MANFAN;11204158]Vueling will continue to operate into and out of T1. The list of airlines moving to T3 are in the attached link
https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/03/10/manchester-airport-to-reopen-terminal-3-on-march-27/[/QUOTE

Says Vueling is T3 on latest Manchester Airport Twitter feed

MANFAN
22nd Mar 2022, 19:27
[QUOTE=MANFAN;11204158]Vueling will continue to operate into and out of T1. The list of airlines moving to T3 are in the attached link
https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2022/03/10/manchester-airport-to-reopen-terminal-3-on-march-27/[/QUOTE

Says Vueling is T3 on latest Manchester Airport Twitter feed

Apologies…I wasn’t aware of this.
The airport’s initial comms on their website did not list Vueling.

Thanks for the info.

MANFAN
22nd Mar 2022, 20:03
The airport’s website has been updated ref terminal allocations. Example here taken for BA:Important information for British Airways Airline passengersBritish Airways passengers will depart from Terminal 3 (T3) gates, but still go through Terminal 1 (T1) check-in and security. Arrivals will be at Terminal 3.

If departing from Manchester, please check-in at Terminal 1 and proceed through Terminal 1 security. Just before World Duty Free in the T1 departure lounge, please follow signs for ‘Terminal 3’.

Arrivals in Manchester will be landing at Terminal 3.

Please bear this in mind when making drop-off and pick-up arrangements or car parking bookings. Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 are a five-minute walk from each other and there is signage in place to direct you.

Please check your boarding card or contact your airline for more information about which terminal your flight will depart from.

Mark J Bowcock
22nd Mar 2022, 20:10
The airport’s website has been updated ref terminal allocations. Example here taken for BA:Important information for British Airways Airline passengersBritish Airways passengers will depart from Terminal 3 (T3) gates, but still go through Terminal 1 (T1) check-in and security. Arrivals will be at Terminal 3.

If departing from Manchester, please check-in at Terminal 1 and proceed through Terminal 1 security. Just before World Duty Free in the T1 departure lounge, please follow signs for ‘Terminal 3’.

Arrivals in Manchester will be landing at Terminal 3.

Please bear this in mind when making drop-off and pick-up arrangements or car parking bookings. Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 are a five-minute walk from each other and there is signage in place to direct you.

Please check your boarding card or contact your airline for more information about which terminal your flight will depart from.

its going to be chaos in T1 security

DomyDom
23rd Mar 2022, 07:49
1 extra flight (Wed) on the MAN-CCF route for this summer (now 3 pw)
Great to see Ryanair continuing to expand operations at MAN with an extra flight to Carcasonne as well as a new route to Pescara. Hopefully we will see the Ukraine routes back on the departure boards for next year.

DP.
23rd Mar 2022, 08:58
The airport’s website has been updated ref terminal allocations.

The airlines are going to have to do some comms on this. I have a Ryanair itinerary next month that specifically states T3 for departure. I can already foresee plenty of people getting dropped off at T3 only to find security shut and sent back outside to T1 (probably to join the back of a long queue). What a mess.

Dct_Mopas
23rd Mar 2022, 09:30
The airlines are going to have to do some comms on this. I have a Ryanair itinerary next month that specifically states T3 for departure. I can already foresee plenty of people getting dropped off at T3 only to find security shut and sent back outside to T1 (probably to join the back of a long queue). What a mess.

Terminal 1 is only a quick walk, through a covered outside walkway, fromTerminal 3. It’s not the end of the world if people are dropped at terminal 3.

The main issue is going to be the security queues in Terminal 1, but clearly the airport doesn’t have enough security staff so opening T3 for security departures wouldn’t help. The same number of security staff across the two terminals.

Mark J Bowcock
23rd Mar 2022, 09:40
I take it security in T3 will open soon

DP.
23rd Mar 2022, 09:53
Terminal 1 is only a quick walk, through a covered outside walkway, fromTerminal 3. It’s not the end of the world if people are dropped at terminal 3.

I'm aware of the relative location of the terminals, and I'm not suggesting it's the end of the world. The point I'm making is that it's not exactly a great start to the journey, especially if they then face a long queue at T1.

What I suspect has happened is that when they announced the reopening of T3 they planned on it being a full reopening but it's since become apparent that they're not in a position to do so because of staffing.

Mr A Tis
23rd Mar 2022, 10:36
Has the makings of another Manchester Airport fiasco.
Surely there should be a halt to any new / extra services until such time they (MA) can meet their service level agreement which is 15 minutes to screen a pax through security.

Tweeted by MA today :-https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/communication-ticker-page/ticker-notice-1/

MANFAN
23rd Mar 2022, 10:43

I highly doubt the airport will reopen T3 drop off when passengers have to go through T1 check in and security.

MANFAN
23rd Mar 2022, 10:43
I take it security in T3 will open soon

End of April apparently…a friend of mine is flying with Ryanair on 27th April and his e mail confirmation states T3

Mark J Bowcock
23rd Mar 2022, 11:07
End of April apparently…a friend of mine is flying with Ryanair on 27th April and his e mail confirmation states T3
they are prob recruiting staff in time for it’s main reopening

DP.
23rd Mar 2022, 11:12

I have a Ryanair flight in just over two weeks that also states T3 on the confirmation.

MANFAN
23rd Mar 2022, 11:13
More info

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/communication-ticker-page/ticker-notice-1/

Mark J Bowcock
23rd Mar 2022, 11:14
I have a Ryanair flight in just over two weeks that also states T3 on the confirmation.

they do depart from T3 you just have to go through T1 security to get there! But it is a shambles really! I’m here now in T1 and it’s not really that busy but there’s no where to sit! God knows what it will be like on Sunday onwards

Dct_Mopas
23rd Mar 2022, 12:01
they do depart from T3 you just have to go through T1 security to get there! But it is a shambles really! I’m here now in T1 and it’s not really that busy but there’s no where to sit! God knows what it will be like on Sunday onwards

From Sunday onwards half of the passengers in Terminal 1 will be making a left turn before reaching Duty Free, heading into Terminal 3. So seating should become less crowded in Terminal 1 at least.

The96er
23rd Mar 2022, 12:03

The seating provision in T1 should be fine, in fact, it may be better. The only choke point will be the capacity of T1 Security. Once through Security, it is intended that pax departing T3 gates will veer off to the left just before duty free through an interconnecting channel that is currently only open to staff.

DP.
23rd Mar 2022, 12:51

Yes I know. The point is, from a passenger perspective, it is really a T1 departure because that's where they need to turn up.

MANFAN
23rd Mar 2022, 13:31
The seating provision in T1 should be fine, in fact, it may be better. The only choke point will be the capacity of T1 Security. Once through Security, it is intended that pax departing T3 gates will veer off to the left just before duty free through an interconnecting channel that is currently only open to staff.

I had it in my head it was through the corridor on the right before duty free…I passed through this corridor during covid lockdowns when travelling with BA, we boarded from gate 1 and passed the corridor where you go to the lounges

Dct_Mopas
23rd Mar 2022, 13:44
I had it in my head it was through the corridor on the right before duty free…I passed through this corridor during covid lockdowns when travelling with BA, we boarded from gate 1 and passed the corridor where you go to the lounges

That corridor takes you to the domestic boarding gates in T3 and so is out of the way. The corridor before Duty Free should bring you straight into the foodhall/ shopping area in T3.

MANFAN
23rd Mar 2022, 13:50
That corridor takes you to the domestic boarding gates in T3 and so is out of the way. The corridor before Duty Free should bring you straight into the foodhall/ shopping area in T3.

You walk past WHSmiths on your left towards the toilets and straight down there?

Mark J Bowcock
23rd Mar 2022, 14:13
You walk past WHSmiths on your left towards the toilets and straight down there?

that used to be the way into T3 many years ago when the food fayre cafe was there

SWBKCB
24th Mar 2022, 07:15
Karen Smart, managing director of Manchester Airport, said: “We want to apologise to all our customers who have experienced disruption over the last couple of weeks. We want to be clear with our customers that getting back to full strength is going to take time and there will unfortunately be periods over the next few weeks when it will take longer to get through the airport than it should.”

Staff are also struggling with the workload. Some have contacted the Manchester Evening News complaining of ‘exhaustion’ amid a heavy workload and diminishing team spirit. One employee said: “It’s very under-staffed at the moment, things are diabolical. The entire work environment is shocking. A lot of people were furloughed and made redundant. All the companies in the airport just got rid of far too many staff, everyone panicked during the pandemic. Now everything is picking up again, we can’t just get the staff back. There’s a lot of staff threatening to leave and a lot that have already left. We’ve just lost loads of staff - had many hand in notices in the last two weeks."

MEN - Manchester Airport boss warns long queues will continue 'for weeks' after finally admitting staff shortages (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mancheser-airport-queues-boss-shortages-23483721)

JerseyAero
24th Mar 2022, 09:29
I suppose that is at least a better sign to hear from someone in a senior position that they recognise the problems rather than quotes from a faceless spokesperson who said ' there were more passengers than expected ...' blah blah, a statement that should rightly be ridiculed.

If management could just take ownership of these issues and start planning accordingly we might see improvements.

DomyDom
24th Mar 2022, 13:31
MEN - Manchester Airport boss warns long queues will continue 'for weeks' after finally admitting staff shortages (https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mancheser-airport-queues-boss-shortages-23483721)
It's not even like we have a pool of Eastern European workers to fall back on now either.

OzzyOzBorn
24th Mar 2022, 21:55
There are actually a fair number still around. Following Brexit, HMG launched a scheme inviting EU citizens in the UK to apply for residency. They expected three million applicants but the final number who did apply was well over six million. They're not all from Eastern Europe, of course - they hail from across the EU27 as a whole. But they have 'grandfathered' the right to live and work here and many do. And presumably those who chose to return to other countries for the duration of the pandemic retain the right to return to the UK when they want to. All good news as far as I am concerned, and you still hear Eastern European accents amongst workers at MAN.

SWBKCB
25th Mar 2022, 06:45
But many have stayed and got residency because they have found permanent roles, and aren't available for the sort of short term seasonal working that MAN needs.

Brian Pern
25th Mar 2022, 10:39
They could start by paying a better wage. Security Officer is £12.04 per hour including a 22.5% shift allowance, I assume there is free parking.... yet a job in Asda Bury as a store assistant is £9.36, days no nights, with 10% off all shopping, etc.
If I had to drive to the Airport, park in Staff West (is it still as bad as it was 10 years ago?), get the bus, then have to deal with the General Public, I would wonder if an extra £101.84 a week gross (approx £70 per week net extra)was worth it.

Manchester airport will need to improve their T's&C's if they want to recruit

DP.
25th Mar 2022, 11:28

I believe so, yes. It's primarily the staff route between T3/T1. I can't envisage the route that Dct_Mopas refers to.

Mark J Bowcock
25th Mar 2022, 13:16
Ryanair seem to have a 7M8 based from Sat . It’s doing a return to Bucharest .

forbesd
25th Mar 2022, 13:34
Last I heard this had been deferred until W22/23. Is there any more news or whispers?

lfc84
25th Mar 2022, 15:14
Ryanair seem to have a 7M8 based from Sat . It’s doing a return to Bucharest .
Ryanair didn't advise me when I flew on one, despite them saying they would inform passengers. Not that I was bothered personally.

Mark J Bowcock
25th Mar 2022, 19:36
Ryanair didn't advise me when I flew on one, despite them saying they would inform passengers. Not that I was bothered personally.

The 7M8 is doing a Alicante on Sunday morning also. Looking at the schedule there seems to be 15 based Ryanair departures before 8.35am. There is a palma at 7.55am that’s not on the Ryanair website as according to that the first Palma is at 10am. So does seem to be an increase in based units

Sioltach Dubh Glas
25th Mar 2022, 20:07
According to the ACL start of season report Ryanair are planned to have 15 based aircraft.

planedrive
25th Mar 2022, 22:11
easyJet to INV looks to be a new route from the ACL report as well. Not for sale yet but in the schedule on the airport website from the 27th June. Hope it goes on sale soon! :ok:

Mark J Bowcock
25th Mar 2022, 22:27
easyJet to INV looks to be a new route from the ACL report as well. Not for sale yet but in the schedule on the airport website from the 27th June. Hope it goes on sale soon! :ok:

how does one access this report

Ivan aromer
26th Mar 2022, 08:21
It the Aspire in T1 open nowadays?

lfc84
26th Mar 2022, 08:33
It the Aspire in T1 open nowadays?
Yes I was in it recently

The96er
26th Mar 2022, 17:06
As per the ACL summer report, Emerald and Logan air holding slots for ZZJ (unspecified destination) - Any ideas as to where these may be ?. At a guess, I'd say EDI for Logan but not sure what's left in Eire that's not up against RYR.

Mr Mac
27th Mar 2022, 14:26
Can anybody tell me why there is a Fast Track line for Immigration Control in T1 but not one in T2 ? Mrs Mac came through at 24.00 Friday and due to having Fast Track was back home in Yorkshire by 13.30 as she avoided some substantial lines.
Cheers
Mr Mac

Ivan aromer
27th Mar 2022, 16:19
Thought fast track was on the way out, is there a FT inbound too?

lfc84
27th Mar 2022, 17:04
Thought fast track was on the way out, is there a FT inbound too?
The answer is on the airport website

Mark J Bowcock
27th Mar 2022, 21:15
I flew Ryanair back from Dublin the other night and after getting the stupid coach to take us to arrivals they wanted to check our passports as we went into the terminal! When did this start? Also now T3 has reopened at least it’s a quick walk through the doors and into the baggage reclaim!

The96er
27th Mar 2022, 21:27
I flew Ryanair back from Dublin the other night and after getting the stupid coach to take us to arrivals they wanted to check our passports as we went into the terminal! When did this start? Also now T3 has reopened at least it’s a quick walk through the doors and into the baggage reclaim!

Immigration control reserve the right to perform passport checks as and when required usually acting on intelligence.

DomyDom
27th Mar 2022, 21:40
EZY now have La Rochelle twice weekly (Wed/Sun) from MAN for summer now on sale 🙂

Asturias56
28th Mar 2022, 07:15
"Immigration control reserve the right to perform passport checks as and when required usually acting on intelligence"

Immigration control & intelligence in the same sentence!! things must be changing..............

DP.
28th Mar 2022, 09:11
It's been another bad couple of days for passengers. Over an hour and a half to get through security in T1 last night, and just as bad in T2 this morning with queues back into check-in.

Rutan16
28th Mar 2022, 13:19
"Immigration control reserve the right to perform passport checks as and when required usually acting on intelligence"

Immigration control & intelligence in the same sentence!! things must be changing..............
And travel within the CTA DOES NOT demand a passport for Eire and UK citizens through others it does. That said the border force has the manifest in advance it’s all for bl**dy show

Or worse it a Pritti awefull instruction to prevent Ukrainian refugees entering via Eire A country like most EU states offering unfettered free access and sanctuary on humanitarian grounds

JerseyAero
28th Mar 2022, 18:07
It seems that alarm bells have started to ring at Manchester City Council with the airport's reputation "nosediving" . Hopefully this might prompt some action to improve the management and forward planning of the airport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-60902540

sherburn2LA
28th Mar 2022, 21:11
A spokesman apologised for the recent troubles but said "it takes a while to give the new security operatives the training they need to meet the unique Manchester standards of aggressiveness and unhelpfulness". "In the meantime we are working with consultants from British Airways on changes to be made to organisation and customer relations"

Suzeman
28th Mar 2022, 23:05
A spokesman apologised for the recent troubles but said "it takes a while to give the new security operatives the training they need to meet the unique Manchester standards of aggressiveness and unhelpfulness". "In the meantime we are working with consultants from British Airways on changes to be made to organisation and customer relations"

Should have saved that one for April 1st....:E

DomyDom
29th Mar 2022, 06:24
It seems that alarm bells have started to ring at Manchester City Council with the airport's reputation "nosediving" . Hopefully this might prompt some action to improve the management and forward planning of the airport.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-60902540
From the link it appears that there is a plan in place and the airport is getting the right focus needed from the councils. With an extra 400 staff due to start in April things should improve.

It doesn't help if you are stuck in those lines but travel demand is has grown very quickly after the worst of the pandemic (as you would expect it to) but people are coming down like flies with new (hopefully milder) covid variants so employes still need to self isolate and this will add to the disruption. The UK also has significant labour shortages due to the type of post Brexit deal the UK signed with the EU. I also don't hear those people that complain about the airport raising money from drop off charges clamouring to pay increased costs for flights. Perhaps increased salaries/ bonuses are the way forward to attact staff but I still think we need to reflect on what the industry has been through over the last 2 years, the current covid/ labour situation in the UK and to keep things in persepective.

It's great to see that passengers are coming back and airlines are growing their route network at MAN. Yes it would be nice if things were easier but let's have a bit more glass half full commentary shall we 🙂

SWBKCB
29th Mar 2022, 06:47
The airport also confirmed that as well as seeing a spike in passenger numbers, they have faced staffing shortages including a rise in covid-related sickness in 'recent days'. In the message, seen by the Manchester Evening News , staff members appeared to be offered a 'payment of £20 and 1.5 rate overtime' if they worked through their break.

It followed: "If you would like to take up this opportunity, please reply to this email so your details can be passed to the Security Team Managers." A spokesperson for the airport responded, acknowledging the recent queues for passengers amid a spike in Covid-related sickness.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-workers-offered-20-23524715

pwalhx
29th Mar 2022, 08:34
It should also be noted that it is not a problem solely at Manchester

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/transport/dozens-of-holidaymakers-miss-flights-from-leeds-bradford-airport-as-queues-and-staff-shortages-worsen-3621163

DomyDom
29th Mar 2022, 15:25
It should also be noted that it is not a problem solely at Manchester

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/transport/dozens-of-holidaymakers-miss-flights-from-leeds-bradford-airport-as-queues-and-staff-shortages-worsen-3621163
Thanks for providing some context pwalhx.

MARK 101
29th Mar 2022, 16:50
not got a press statement but BHX has been a disaster theses last few weeks as well. Seems an industry wide issue with handling agents and airport security, Only hope they can get staff in ,vetted and trained before summer peak.

Its actually a catch 22 from what I hear, the stress and pressure for little reward means quite a few staff have quit after only a few weeks in the job

Mr Mac
29th Mar 2022, 18:06
The answer is on the airport website
IFc84
You will have to give me a better clue, as I have looked and been unable to find anything re T2 and Fast Track for Immigration inbound to UK like T1. Also the last time I used T2 with Singapore, I do not re call see a fast track at immigration though it was along flight so may have missed it. Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Mr Mac

lfc84
29th Mar 2022, 18:23
IFc84
You will have to give me a better clue, as I have looked and been unable to find anything re T2 and Fast Track for Immigration inbound to UK like T1. Also the last time I used T2 with Singapore, I do not re call see a fast track at immigration though it was along flight so may have missed it. Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers
Mr Mac

https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/security-fasttrack/

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1555x985/image_7ec0dff0b2343e5470181a56132f692ea003f116.png

MANFAN
29th Mar 2022, 18:25
IFc84
Cheers
Mr Mac

I’ve not used T2 since 16th January but I don’t recall seeing immigration fast track then…but I’ve definitely seen it in T1…and it’s quite obvious too!

MANFAN
29th Mar 2022, 18:28
Went out from T1/T3 to Heathrow this morning. Arrived at T1 check in at 8.30am, relatively quiet but took about 30 mins to check in due to document checks. Security in T1 was very quiet, 4 lanes open, but 15min wait due to a young lady who obviously didn’t have a clue about the rules and had around 4/5 liquid bottles well over 100ml! Staff friendly and apologetic for the wait. Bag was unfortunately rejected, no reason given, so this was an additional 10min wait, again staff friendly and apologetic for the wait.
It was a 5min walk to T3 airside…very quiet, it was around 9.30am at this point so very few departures…hence I picked a flight around this quiet time (10.40am). Gate 142, which really needs seating, waited 30mins due to late arrival of aircraft from LHR.
On the whole, a good experience. Plenty of customer service staff in both terminals on hand to guide passengers and walking around observing in general. T3 looks refreshed, floors shiny and various areas repainted. It’s certainly not the best of terminals functionally, but good to see it reopen!

Mark J Bowcock
29th Mar 2022, 20:09
Just reading some tweets on Twitter about the airport today! Took 3 hours to get through security as there was only one security lane open?! Had to wait on plane as no one to offload passengers? These are a couple of many comments for which I think are made up! Yes it’s not that good atm but so is every airport in the U.K.!

MANFAN
29th Mar 2022, 20:14
Just reading some tweets on Twitter about the airport today! Took 3 hours to get through security as there was only one security lane open?! Had to wait on plane as no one to offload passengers? These are a couple of many comments for which I think are made up! Yes it’s not that good atm but so is every airport in the U.K.!

Any particular times, airlines mentioned or terminals? I was at the airport from 6.30am until 10.50am this morning, on level 13, in terminals 1 & 3 and didn’t witness this…not saying it didn’t happen, but certain stories are overextended or made up!

Mark J Bowcock
29th Mar 2022, 20:15
Any particular times, airlines mentioned or terminals? I was at the airport from 6.30am until 10.50am this morning, on level 13, in terminals 1 & 3 and didn’t witness this…not saying it didn’t happen, but certain stories are overextended or made up!
says T1 as they had to hold the emirates flight at lunch to get all the passengers on

MANFAN
29th Mar 2022, 20:18
says T1 as they had to hold the emirates flight at lunch to get all the passengers on

Possibly…according to FR24 a lot of T1/T3 flight departed late this afternoon…something that has to be put up with in the short term unfortunately

Mr Mac
30th Mar 2022, 11:48
https://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/security-fasttrack/

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1555x985/image_7ec0dff0b2343e5470181a56132f692ea003f116.png
As I thought no inbound fast track in T2 only in T1. I had already looked there and tried to open it so not sure why you screenshot it. As I said anybody know why ?
Cheers
Mr Mac

HOVIS
30th Mar 2022, 12:01
not got a press statement but BHX has been a disaster theses last few weeks as well. Seems an industry wide issue with handling agents and airport security, Only hope they can get staff in ,vetted and trained before summer peak.

Its actually a catch 22 from what I hear, the stress and pressure for little reward means quite a few staff have quit after only a few weeks in the job
It's not just those two. It's across the board. Refuellers, Engineers, Airport maintenance, cleaners etc. The combined effect means if its not one thing causing delays its another. Every aircraft turnround will have either late refuelling, late maintenance, late tug, late off load, late passengers etc. Its incredibly frustrating for everyone not just the pax who are paying for it. I just hope we don't have an incident caused by pressures on any of the above because that really would be a tragedy.

roverman
31st Mar 2022, 19:02
I realise that it's already April 1st in Hong Kong, but I picked this up from another thread and it looks to be authentic. If true it is most welcome, but the recently published ACL report for Summer 2022 showed CX holding no slots for HKG-MAN. Could this be just a one-off series of student-specials as we approach the end of spring term?

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/cathay-pacific-resumes-hong-kong-uk-flights

MANFAN
31st Mar 2022, 20:07
I realise that it's already April 1st in Hong Kong, but I picked this up from another thread and it looks to be authentic. If true it is most welcome, but the recently published ACL report for Summer 2022 showed CX holding no slots for HKG-MAN. Could this be just a one-off series of student-specials as we approach the end of spring term?

From another forum courtesy of SPD travels on twitter:

Cathay Pacific aims to restart its non LHR European routes as follows this summer. But when it comes to Hong Kong, changes are likely.

AMS 3 weekly July
BCN 1 weekly July
CDG 4weekly July
FRA 5 weekly June
MAD 3 weekly July
MAN 5 weekly July
MXP 2 weekly Jul

Many thanks
SPD travels
@SPD_travels twitter (https://twitter.com/SPD_travels)

SCFC1EP
31st Mar 2022, 20:23
Traveled through T3 on wednesday via T1 on a 0620hrs departures was expecting the worse especially being first week of summer timetable and rush hour for the first wave of departures,
Arrived at 0500hrs hand luggage only so straight to security queue was just inside entrance where you scan boarding card, 30 minutes later we had cleared security,pretty fast moving but passengers can help with not taking everything out of there bags when they get to the tray be organised and have your electronic items and liquids separate beforehand, maybe a few notices up before people join the queue would speed things up also never understand whilst your in queue why not take your coat off of take laptop out of bag this would release a lot of pressure/time going through
Once through easy walk into T3 and member of airport staff in T1 directing at side of WH Smiths,
T3 not so bad not over crowded but flights are not full yet, they have worked on the toilets and we now have a unisex shared toilet actually spacious and much nicer as toilets go.
Arrived back at T3 1620hrs on Ryanair only around 30-40 passengers on flight waited a good 15minutes to get offloaded cabin crew kept apologise saying waiting for swissport steps were at plane so not sure why we wasn't allowed off, passport control only 1 person on plus e-gates working, but no other flight had arrived prior to ours so straight through

Logohu
31st Mar 2022, 20:45
From another forum courtesy of SPD travels on twitter:

Cathay Pacific aims to restart its non LHR European routes as follows this summer. But when it comes to Hong Kong, changes are likely.

AMS 3 weekly July
BCN 1 weekly July
CDG 4weekly July
FRA 5 weekly June
MAD 3 weekly July
MAN 5 weekly July
MXP 2 weekly Jul

Many thanks
SPD travels
@SPD_travels twitter (https://twitter.com/SPD_travels)

Cathay selling 2 return flights per month in April and May. We'll probably see increased flights as Hong Kong slowly relaxes its borders, but I suspect it will take some time before we see daily flights again.

MANFOD
31st Mar 2022, 21:12

I agree it does seem strange if CX cancelled previously held slots or didn't apply for new ones if the old slots had already been cancelled. On the other hand, getting slots now shouldn't be a problem I would have thought, and it would certainly be good news for MAN if regular, rather than ad-hoc, CX flights do resume in July.

Logohu
31st Mar 2022, 21:48
I agree it does seem strange if CX cancelled previously held slots or didn't apply for new ones if the old slots had already been cancelled. On the other hand, getting slots now shouldn't be a problem I would have thought, and it would certainly be good news for MAN if regular, rather than ad-hoc, CX flights do resume in July.

CX April flights are on 02nd and 19th, and the next two on 07th and 24th May. Our booking system then shows daily from 01st June, but I suspect that will change

Mark J Bowcock
1st Apr 2022, 07:42
I wonder why United just canned their flights! Always pretty full and upgraded to a 767-400 prior to covid! Sane with American but their services was to say the least not that good!

chaps1954
1st Apr 2022, 09:03
Short of aircraft I believe

Mark J Bowcock
1st Apr 2022, 09:21
Short of aircraft I believe

oh ok but they can start new services all over Europe tho! And LHR gets more flights!

BHX5DME
1st Apr 2022, 09:33
oh ok but they can start new services all over Europe tho! And LHR gets more flights!

They are ramping up LHR flights massively this Summer so aircraft not an issue, more a case of using LHR than the regions

HOVIS
1st Apr 2022, 09:34
I wonder why United just canned their flights! Always pretty full and upgraded to a 767-400 prior to covid! Sane with American but their services was to say the least not that good!
I thought United said they were returning next year?

spannersatcx
1st Apr 2022, 09:59
CX April flights are on 02nd and 19th, and the next two on 07th and 24th May. Our booking system then shows daily from 01st June, but I suspect that will change
The problem is if you take a COVID case into HKG the flt is automatically banned for 2 weeks, so to avoid this possible disruption the flts are scheduled around 2 weeks apart for the time being and until HKG changes the rules it will stay that way unfortunately. At least MAN is still operating, in times gone by it would of been dropped completely! The first pax carrying flt out of the UK for some time departed LHR last night.

CabinCrewe
1st Apr 2022, 11:00
They are ramping up LHR flights massively this Summer so aircraft not an issue, more a case of using LHR than the regions
Yet EDI upguaging to 764? (albeit temporarily(

Skipness One Foxtrot
1st Apr 2022, 11:29
The point of sale balance was skewed massively in favour of UK originating I believe. EDI and DUB have a large % of inbound visiting US tourism, MAN less so it seems.

Mark J Bowcock
1st Apr 2022, 12:51
The point of sale balance was skewed massively in favour of UK originating I believe. EDI and DUB have a large % of inbound visiting US tourism, MAN less so it seems.

so why run it for over 20 years then!

roverman
1st Apr 2022, 15:03

Doesn't fully explain it, though, to be fair. For instance, how many Emiratis book DXB-MAN, yet there are two or three flights daily by the flag carrier. The destinations histoically served from MAN by US airlines were in the main big hubs and so should generate enough traffic via hubbing, wherever it originates. I can understand that many Americans still only see London as the gateway to England even when they are touring the country, but there is still a market share of the UK originating traffic up for grabs.

SWBKCB
1st Apr 2022, 16:05
Yet EDI upguaging to 764? (albeit temporarily(

From the EDI thread - the upguage compensates for the delayed start for ORD?

United S22

EDI-ORD

Route resumption pushed back to 1st July from ORD.

EDI-IAD

Resumes as planned from May. Aircraft upgraded to 764 for May and June. 752 from July.

ORD route I’m guessing has poor forward bookings in early summer months or United have issues with aircraft availability.

Interesting development.

Skipness One Foxtrot
1st Apr 2022, 17:44
Doesn't fully explain it, though, to be fair. For instance, how many Emiratis book DXB-MAN, yet there are two or three flights daily by the flag carrier. The destinations histoically served from MAN by US airlines were in the main big hubs and so should generate enough traffic via hubbing, wherever it originates. I can understand that many Americans still only see London as the gateway to England even when they are touring the country, but there is still a market share of the UK originating traffic up for grabs.
As codeshares grew and markets changed it seems a decision was taken to focus elsewhere. It happens sadly, aircraft are the most mobile of assets. The growing ability of Thomas Cook to operate seasonal point to point seems to have had an affect as well as Virgin's sway as a home based carrier operating in a market skewed to UK POS. Sometimes it's easy to take a given reason for an airline to leave as a personal attack on the region (awaits the usual suspects) but it's better to understand what works and serve that. Direct SFO, LAX, BOS etc non daily worked well in the local market, United needed all those punters to fly via EWR to help fill a daily service. Not everything added to a market is net new, look how far GLA fell when routes moved across to EDI. They also lost United whereas EDI will likely end up with three daily and has strong international inbound market, like DUB. MAN (like LGW) does very well in taking Brits on holiday, a little less so in inbound LONG haul. Now maybe that will rebalance in future but I think it explains some of the thinking with AA and UA as well as DL handing over to VS. Time change, assets get redeployed.

commit aviation
1st Apr 2022, 19:35
‘Massive imbalance’ between outbound and inbound travel revealed | Travel Weekly (https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/massive-imbalance-between-outbound-and-inbound-travel-revealed)

Flight booking data may also play a part. Outbound to the US down 10% whilst inbound from US down 24% vice 2019.
With airlines wanting to protect their slots at LHR it is I suppose inevitable that other regions may miss out at least in the short term. There are some positives in the data as far as other outbound markets are concerned so far from all doom and gloom

roverman
1st Apr 2022, 20:04
‘Massive imbalance’ between outbound and inbound travel revealed | Travel Weekly (https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/massive-imbalance-between-outbound-and-inbound-travel-revealed)

Flight booking data may also play a part. Outbound to the US down 10% whilst inbound from US down 24% vice 2019.
With airlines wanting to protect their slots at LHR it is I suppose inevitable that other regions may miss out at least in the short term. There are some positives in the data as far as other outbound markets are concerned so far from all doom and gloom

Yes, for example just watching the MAN arrivals this Friday evening - multiple arrivals from Scandinavia on SK and NOZ as well as EZY and RYR - partially driven, I suspect by Scandinavian fans of MUFC, MCFC, LFC and EFC making regular trips to watch their favourite club. A good example of inbound tourism boosting the northern economy and using MAN as the gateway.

lfc84
1st Apr 2022, 20:37
Looks like another day of disgruntled passengers

https://twitter.com/GilhamJane/status/1509972456156585986?t=glgqFCrCD1wv6w2en-tUzQ&s=19
​​​​​​ (https://twitter.com/GilhamJane/status/1509972456156585986?t=glgqFCrCD1wv6w2en-tUzQ&s=19)
the lady that posted this says she had T1 Fast Track and it took 3 hours

HKGBOY
1st Apr 2022, 21:40
Managed to breeze through security last Wednesday morning in T1.
however sat onboard doors closed for 45 minutes as bags & cargo not loaded.
Departed one hour late.
Lots of pax sweating on connections.
(TAP to LIS)

HOVIS
2nd Apr 2022, 01:47
Looks like another day of disgruntled passengers

https://twitter.com/GilhamJane/status/1509972456156585986?t=glgqFCrCD1wv6w2en-tUzQ&s=19
​​​​​​ (https://twitter.com/GilhamJane/status/1509972456156585986?t=glgqFCrCD1wv6w2en-tUzQ&s=19)
the lady that posted this says she had T1 Fast Track and it took 3 hours

Very long delays on the wide bodies today. Qatar, Turkish and Emirates suffering badly. I heard a rumour that some Swissport staff walked out! Fed up with the whole charade.

LBAflyer22
2nd Apr 2022, 04:35
Think what people need to remember is when you turn off the travel sector and shut the world, as a total over reaction to something which wasn’t/isn’t a threat to the majority of the population, turning that sector back on was always going to be difficult.

People have left the industry for better conditions, others got sacked/took redundancy. Those skills and that experience has now gone. But filling those roles, getting them people back, will/is proving to be difficult. As people don’t see the industry as something they want to get into - due poor pay, conditions when compared to other jobs, and unstable. Your left with the staff that were kept and I wouldn’t be surprised now to see them going off long term sick with stress etc.

I also think smaller airports may fair way better - LPL, LBA, DSA, EMA, then MAN due to this press etc. What people on Twitter, and, fake news outlets such as BBC news, need to remember is the majority of airports in the U.K. are all suffering the same thing on different scales but none the less the same. The industry has been crippled and is struggling to the recover. This is the tip of the iceberg - summer is going to be one hell of a bumpy ride.

ZULUBOY
2nd Apr 2022, 06:04
We did also have a working population who, rightly or wrongly, would do those low paid jobs. The country made a decision that it didn't want those people to be able to move freely into the UK and this is one of the consequences

SWBKCB
2nd Apr 2022, 06:05
What the travel industry needs to remember is you get what you pay for - guess what, treat people badly, pay them poorly, they don't jump when you say "jump"

Dannyboy39
2nd Apr 2022, 07:23
Lets be honest here, MAN was a problem before the pandemic. Undoubtedly, the rudest security staff I've ever come across at a UK airport. And I'm a frequent flyer.

Mr Mac
2nd Apr 2022, 08:56
Dannyboy39
Totally agree with you, it has been under performing for quite sometime in that respect, indeed I struggle to think of something that they have over performed at ! I am inbound on EK tomorrow lunchtime so we will see what I find.
Cheers
Mr Mac

CabinCrewe
2nd Apr 2022, 10:47
yet noone walks with their feet and still queue…but the oblivious think its all running as normal. A third of my colleagues were off with covid last week…

The96er
2nd Apr 2022, 10:57
yet noone walks with their feet and still queue…but the oblivious think its all running as normal. A third of my colleagues were off with covid last week…

…and out of that third, how many really had Covid and were so genuinely ill that they could not work. I’m guessing it was a lot less. This is a British disease of throwing ‘sickies’ because people just don’t fancy working on a particular day. Many see it as getting ‘one up ‘ on the company, except in this industry, it’s your colleagues who really suffer as they have to pick up the slack in an already impossible situation.

HOVIS
2nd Apr 2022, 11:03
Think what people need to remember is when you turn off the travel sector and shut the world, as a total over reaction to something which wasn’t/isn’t a threat to the majority of the population, turning that sector back on was always going to be difficult.

People have left the industry for better conditions, others got sacked/took redundancy. Those skills and that experience has now gone. But filling those roles, getting them people back, will/is proving to be difficult. As people don’t see the industry as something they want to get into - due poor pay, conditions when compared to other jobs, and unstable. Your left with the staff that were kept and I wouldn’t be surprised now to see them going off long term sick with stress etc.

I also think smaller airports may fair way better - LPL, LBA, DSA, EMA, then MAN due to this press etc. What people on Twitter, and, fake news outlets such as BBC news, need to remember is the majority of airports in the U.K. are all suffering the same thing on different scales but none the less the same. The industry has been crippled and is struggling to the recover. This is the tip of the iceberg - summer is going to be one hell of a bumpy ride.
Please take your conspiracy nonsense to Jet Blast where it belongs. 🙄

HOVIS
2nd Apr 2022, 11:08
…and out of that third, how many really had Covid and were so genuinely ill that they could not work. I’m guessing it was a lot less. This is a British disease of throwing ‘sickies’ because people just don’t fancy working on a particular day. Many see it as getting ‘one up ‘ on the company, except in this industry, it’s your colleagues who really suffer as they have to pick up the slack in an already impossible situation.
Utter cr@p!
We are being instructed by our management to test regularly and if the test is positive we isolate (IE do not come to work) until either we have two consecutive negative tests or eleven days have passed. Many people are still suffering from Covid and the long term effects. I am one of them.
Please take your reactionary Daily Hate narrative and shove it!

The96er
2nd Apr 2022, 11:15
Utter cr@p!
We are being instructed by our management to test regularly and if the test is positive we isolate (IE do not come to work) until either we have two consecutive negative tests or eleven days have passed. Many people are still suffering from Covid and the long term effects. I am one of them.
Please take your reactionary Daily Hate narrative and shove it!

I stand by what I say, most sickness in this country is people who just don’t fancy working. Was true before Covid and is now a convenient excuse post Covid.

inOban
2nd Apr 2022, 11:45
On the contrary, because of our very low rates of sick pay, lower paid workers feel forced to come to work when they shouldn't, thereby infecting everyone else.

The96er
2nd Apr 2022, 11:54
On the contrary, because of our very low rates of sick pay, lower paid workers feel forced to come to work when they shouldn't, thereby infecting everyone else.

Low rates of sick pay does not stop people taking sick leave I can assure you. If you’re in a low payed job with no sick pay, then having the odd day of here and there will not make much difference to the overall income.

chaps1954
2nd Apr 2022, 13:04
The figures at present say covid is as bad as is has been so The96er you may well be talking through your hat

ATNotts
2nd Apr 2022, 13:24
I stand by what I say, most sickness in this country is people who just don’t fancy working. Was true before Covid and is now a convenient excuse post Covid.
If you are talking the public sector I might agree, however people working in the private sector, especially for small businesses normally work through illness that others will have time off with.

The96er
2nd Apr 2022, 13:40
If you are talking the public sector I might agree, however people working in the private sector, especially for small businesses normally work through illness that others will have time off with.

I work in the private sector with no sick pay and the current sickness rate is very high in my place of work and I know a lot of said sickness is not genuine. Just a strong bout of ‘cantbebothereditus’. My be different for a small business, but is definitely true for a large business.

The96er
2nd Apr 2022, 13:42
The figures at present say covid is as bad as is has been so The96er you may well be talking through your hat

The people in my place of work who are taking sick leave are the same ones who often took sick leave pre-Covid. Make of that what you will.

chaps1954
2nd Apr 2022, 15:19
Oh well time to find another job then at a better place where people care about what they do, perhaps when they get their heating bills next month
and find how much things are going to cost at the shops and petrol station they might think again. obviously the company knowns they can get more labour
as most companies monitor sickness

Rutan16
2nd Apr 2022, 15:37

The myth of sick days lost in the UK pontificated ad nauseam 😠

Few facts among the worst sick pay in the developed World economies .

Actual facts
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/e3c37ac1_1f77_4b84_a4d9_38c744790ca7_926a1d578382b95e3fe98b2 323c049734e928eb8.png
Still like to blame the poor !

Skipness One Foxtrot
2nd Apr 2022, 16:08
Deaths? No.
Serious illnesses? No.
Infections? Testing is ending, hard to say.
To say "is as bad as has been" is objectively false.

PRE COVID, MAN had an appaling problem with the attitude and efficiency of it's security operation who openly boasted of doing things over and above DfT rules, "the Manchester way"". Over time the pushback from hacked off customers has made the atmosphere there corrosive. Then add in going back post COVID into a stuffy semi ventilated area of passive aggresive or plain angry customers and you can see why they might be struggling. Driving for DPD in the fresh air seems suddenly way more appealing. It's the culmination of many things, MAN has a perfect storm.... I mean who needs that sort of hassle in their working lives if you can get a better deal elsewhere?

chaps1954
2nd Apr 2022, 16:17
4.9 million with covid seems pretty bad to me

inOban
2nd Apr 2022, 16:30
The ONS random sampling of the population establishes that infection rates are as high as they have ever been, if not higher. Fact. True, the current variant generally gives a milder illness, helped by widespread vaccination and better treatments. But our hospitals are again full of people either with Covid on its own or whose treatment is compromised by their Covid or by the number of doctors and nurses off work with Covid. Fact.

CabinCrewe
2nd Apr 2022, 16:43
Utter cr@p!
We are being instructed by our management to test regularly and if the test is positive we isolate (IE do not come to work) until either we have two consecutive negative tests or eleven days have passed.
Which is exactly the scenario in my place of work. It never once crossed my mind that the majority would be ‘faking it’. And most others are sensible with their future travel plans instead of this gangbusters disaster… seemingly now at MAN, LHR and EDI.
BA now limiting further ticket sales to full Y and J only…

HOVIS
2nd Apr 2022, 17:29
I work in the private sector with no sick pay and the current sickness rate is very high in my place of work and I know a lot of said sickness is not genuine. Just a strong bout of ‘cantbebothereditus’. My be different for a small business, but is definitely true for a large business.
Again. Utter garbage. You do not 'know' that any sickness is bogus. It is your distorted opinion with no facts to back it up.

golf yankee one one
2nd Apr 2022, 17:56
A practical question, not a rant.
I'm due to fly out of MAN in a few days time; is there any way I can tell, or predict, what the security queues may be like in T1 before I leave home that morning. I would traditionally arrive 2h before flight time (hand luggage only), and this year I've upped it to 3h, but do I now need to make it 4h....?

Dannyboy39
2nd Apr 2022, 18:01
A practical question, not a rant.
I'm due to fly out of MAN in a few days time; is there any way I can tell, or predict, what the security queues may be like in T1 before I leave home that morning. I would traditionally arrive 2h before flight time (hand luggage only), and this year I've upped it to 3h, but do I now need to make it 4h....?
To have to arrive more than 2h before any flight (with the exception of TLV) is beyond ridiculous, but I suggest wise. Passengers really need to start to be treated like people again…

HKGBOY
2nd Apr 2022, 18:40
Go be completely fair, Manchester Airport was crap with understaffing pre Covid & pre Brexit this just exposes the poor management at this facility. They should all resign in Shame.
This year I have only travelled through Porto, Lisbon & Alicante overseas airports none of which appear to have any staffing issues.

Mark J Bowcock
2nd Apr 2022, 18:44
To have to arrive more than 2h before any flight (with the exception of TLV) is beyond ridiculous, but I suggest wise. Passengers really need to start to be treated like people again…

why? Sometimes it starts boarding 1 hour prior to departure! The issue is people turn up late then demand to get through security in 10 mins! I have flown through on numerous occasions in the last month the longest I waited to get through was about 30 mins as the queue was up to the boarding card gates! The other times it’s been 10 mins. What I have noticed is that people do not have the brains to sort stuff out before they get to security! They just start emptying their bags when called forward- most of the time with lose liquids not even in a bag! The other thing I’ve noticed is fast track is always on lane 2 which is also used fir the non fast track folks! I got into an argument with some lady who was fast track but just pushed in front of me to put her stuff in the tray fur which I must say she didn’t have organised then kicked off that she will miss her flight! The amount of people on Twitter going on about having to wait 30 minutes to get through security and calling the airport is atrocious! Yes it could be better but it’s like this all over the country! Yes people won’t agree with me!

AirportPlanner1
2nd Apr 2022, 19:00
Go be completely fair, Manchester Airport was crap with understaffing pre Covid & pre Brexit this just exposes the poor management at this facility. They should all resign in Shame.
This year I have only travelled through Porto, Lisbon & Alicante overseas airports none of which appear to have any staffing issues.

Its that last sentence which is extremely telling

MKY661
2nd Apr 2022, 20:50
Jet2 moving all flights to Bulgaria, France, Greece, Italy, Jersey & Maderia back into T1 from the 28th April

Personally think they should stay in T2 with all the chaos in T1 atm but I do understand that T2 is near capacity

planedrive
2nd Apr 2022, 21:15
Jet2 moving all flights to Bulgaria, France, Greece, Italy, Jersey & Maderia back into T1 from the 28th April

Personally think they should stay in T2 with all the chaos in T1 atm but I do understand that T2 is near capacity

As I understood it, this is the same day that T3 should open fully again (check in/Security), which should relieve some of the pressure on T1 facilities...

LFC22
2nd Apr 2022, 21:16
Got to wonder how long things will keep going on like this or if it will come to a head. Every day that passes, the airports reputation is deeper in the mud. Know so many people who would normally fly from MAN are now flying out of LPL, LBA, BHX and LHR/LGW for long haul flights.

The96er
2nd Apr 2022, 21:30

At some point this year, not sure when, but they're taking several of the 2xx number stands out of action in order to start the next pier construction.

HOVIS
2nd Apr 2022, 21:39
Yes, there's already a growing pile of steel where 212 used to be.

cumbrianboy
3rd Apr 2022, 00:43
Yes, there's already a growing pile of steel where 212 used to be.

knowing MAG they’ll probably do it in august and then go the press saying passenger numbers where higher than expected in the busiest month of the year and those passengers that did turn up caused the problems themselves by wanting to use security to get on their flights …

Rutan16
3rd Apr 2022, 07:08
Got to wonder how long things will keep going on like this or if it will come to a head. Every day that passes, the airports reputation is deeper in the mud. Know so many people who would normally fly from MAN are now flying out of LPL, LBA, BHX and LHR/LGW for long haul flights.

Birmingham is just as bad at peaks as are Gatwick, Stansted, Dublin and Düsseldorf whilst the incumbent of T5 has its own inflicted problems!

Way to many laid off right round Europe . Plus the Brexit benefit of hundreds of thousands of casual and service sector employees leaving this country.

Manchester is overly in the spot light because of a vocal locale and active media presence in the city region; and active enthusiasts with visuals on various platforms trolled by lazy hacks .

Now is there a serious problem to address yes (and its not sickness absence- thats gas lighting !) -its terms and conditions, fair remunerations and workable shift patterns that might include out of hours on a rotation (an effective contract of employment !)
Combined with effective training and access to education programmes ( Carrot and stick to some extent we provide you with an SIA or similar accreditation, health and safety and even a little first aid training and certification, you get a permanent contract of employment and an effective programme of betterment and a promotion programme ) .
SWISSPORT UK- Going bust! Whilst the head of MAG security should be dismissed for both miss-management and poor understanding of risk analysis and relevant mitigations.

Checking way too many bags and allowing hundreds to be penned pre any security needs just one idiot (See the Arena and that tragic loss on life for the effect !)

Crowds are an incident waiting to happen imho

On the arrivals side that’s a issue for the home office and border control and very much a political issue lead by government policies on immigration right from the top

Utter mess and calamity

Dannyboy39
3rd Apr 2022, 10:45
why? Sometimes it starts boarding 1 hour prior to departure! The issue is people turn up late then demand to get through security in 10 mins! I have flown through on numerous occasions in the last month the longest I waited to get through was about 30 mins as the queue was up to the boarding card gates! The other times it’s been 10 mins. What I have noticed is that people do not have the brains to sort stuff out before they get to security! They just start emptying their bags when called forward- most of the time with lose liquids not even in a bag! The other thing I’ve noticed is fast track is always on lane 2 which is also used fir the non fast track folks! I got into an argument with some lady who was fast track but just pushed in front of me to put her stuff in the tray fur which I must say she didn’t have organised then kicked off that she will miss her flight! The amount of people on Twitter going on about having to wait 30 minutes to get through security and calling the airport is atrocious! Yes it could be better but it’s like this all over the country! Yes people won’t agree with me!
People shouldn't have to arrive at airports 2-3 hours early. Its incredibly annoying when you're a frequent flier, travelling on business / work, especially on a slot 1 departure where you're already short of sleep. Short term security measures that were brought in years ago are virtually permanent. Why is 95ml of liquid ok and 105ml not ok?

I'd be for a pre-screening / "low risk traveller" system like they have in the USA - at an additional cost to the passenger of course. Not that the TSA is the model to follow, at all. Why are we also not using the new advanced scanners like you see at AMS?

90% of the time, I'm through security in 10-15 minutes but for that 10%, people shouldn't be asked to queue any longer than this.

I also find it incredibly frustrating when certain airlines keep passengers on corridors and then call people for boarding when the aircraft hasn't even landed from it's previous rotation!

There has been an overhaul of the passenger airport experience.

Mr Mac
3rd Apr 2022, 20:32
Came through today of EK 17 and no issues though of Mrs Mac recommendations I had got Fast Track ticket. Lines looked quite long for normal passengers. Just trying to stay awake to get normal sleep patten back 🙂

Cheers
Mr Mac

HKGBOY
4th Apr 2022, 08:42
Baggage claim not going well either https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/manchester-airport-mayhem-bad-passengers-26623606?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mirror_main&fbclid=IwAR2ljJm13Uy0V2L8x1KSbszc1mYasyYOadJOa056OohWe5zfpjU GqhQGFfg

ATNotts
4th Apr 2022, 09:08
Came through today of EK 17 and no issues though of Mrs Mac recommendations I had got Fast Track ticket. Lines looked quite long for normal passengers. Just trying to stay awake to get normal sleep patten back 🙂

Cheers
Mr Mac

Mr Mac,

The question is, why can't an airport (and I'm thinking of any airport, not singling out MAN) offer a decent standard for all rather then offering a "first class(?)" service to those who want to, or can afford to pay. It stinks of revenue generation through the back door. I admit I don't do much travelling by air these days, but I wonder, is it normal to have two classes of service at other airports worldwide for services such as security, baggage reclaim, immigration and the like? I know Eurotunnel offer a "queue jumping" service for those with money to throw away, and I can say the "elite" (because very few people appear to avail themselves of the service) really pi$$ off normal travellers as they try and push into the interminable lines of vehicles waiting for UKBA to do their job(sworth).

SWBKCB
4th Apr 2022, 09:17
Mr Mac,

The question is, why can't an airport (and I'm thinking of any airport, not singling out MAN) offer a decent standard for all rather then offering a "first class(?)" service to those who want to, or can afford to pay. It stinks of revenue generation through the back door. I admit I don't do much travelling by air these days, but I wonder, is it normal to have two classes of service at other airports worldwide for services such as security, baggage reclaim, immigration and the like? I know Eurotunnel offer a "queue jumping" service for those with money to throw away, and I can say the "elite" (because very few people appear to avail themselves of the service) really pi$$ off normal travellers as they try and push into the interminable lines of vehicles waiting for UKBA to do their job(sworth).

of course it's revenue generation. Low fares mean low airport charges - if the airlines won't pay, how are airports meant to make money?

ATNotts
4th Apr 2022, 09:26
of course it's revenue generation. Low fares mean low airport charges - if the airlines won't pay, how are airports meant to make money?

The cynic in me suggests that if, as a business looking to employ such tactics, you allow stories about queues and misery to run, and don't put the necessary investment into offering a half decent service to all your customers, these kinds of "revenue generation" can, and probably do become very beneficial to the bottom line. Its actually a disgraceful way to run a customer facing business if this were the M.O.

I really don't understand why major airports, such as Manchester, don't play hard ball with the airlines, especially the usual suspects, and make them pay or leave. Often, by charging insufficient for a service or product you are behaving as a busy fool, and working smart is often better than working hard.

Do these kinds of fast track service exist in any kind of widespread way in many other countries? I suspect they might in Anglo Saxon nations such as USA, Canada, Australia but somehow doubt they would be so widespread in mainland Europe.

simoncorbett
4th Apr 2022, 10:02
I think a lot of airports don’t charge airlines atall or even pay them ! They work on making money from the passengers… parking shopping eating etc,