PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh-3

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

A320.b744
25th Mar 2018, 18:21
Well considering you don’t need a passport to travel within CTA that’s going to interesting. I wondering what checks are going to be in place to make sure adequate documents from passengers “Transitting without Visa” via Dublin are going to provide to show they won’t get off in Edinburgh. You can’t TWOV EDI. I suspect a lot of £2000 fines for the airline.

Other airlines and airports can manage it. For example, Ethiopian Airlines operate ADD-ARN-OSL, with ARN-OSL bookable in both directions. The aircraft parks at an international stand, and all passengers have to go through passport control, even if flying between OSL-ARN. I imagine a similar situation would occur at EDI and DUB, given that the aircraft would be arriving at an international gate at both airports.

GoEDI
25th Mar 2018, 19:30
Where are flights on sale? I just get an error message when trying to book EDI-DUB/DUB-EDI on Hainan's website. Given it isn't even possible to book EDI-DUB-PEK or DUB-EDI-PEK presumably due to customs and immigration reasons as I posted the other day, I'd be surprised if they open it up to just EDI-DUB pax.

LAX_LHR
25th Mar 2018, 19:42
Seems to be random dates in full J only at the moment but this signifies other fares may be made available soon:

http://i65.tinypic.com/23tw9k.jpg

GoEDI
25th Mar 2018, 20:04
Cheers, try and book that and the same error message will appear though. It could still be a work in progress... You'd have thought at the very least they'd want to be able to sell the one stop PEK option Eastbound, but maybe it's not going to be possible due to regulations.

Skipness One Echo
26th Mar 2018, 05:34
Er....you do need a passport to fly into DUB.
The CTA is open at the UK side but you will be going through passport control at DUB, now a driving licence is ok but in reality, you DO need ID.
Are the DUB-EDI-PEK transit passengers really being allowed off at EDI?

nighthawk117
26th Mar 2018, 07:22

now a driving licence is ok but in reality, you DO need ID.

Make up your mind! So you DONT need a passport then?

GLAEDI
26th Mar 2018, 08:16
You definitely don’t need a passport, well until 2020 anyway. The airline may ask to provide ID. As currently being debated due to Brexit there’s a Border from Newry to Derry/Londonderry where you can go back on forth at will.

longer ron
26th Mar 2018, 08:37
Would you really want to risk travel to DUB without a passport ?
AFAIK some airlines will not accept a photo licence as ID for that flight.
Having a passport may not be a legal requirement but one always has to keep airline staff and immigration officials happy.
When I used to fly north/south every week (mainland uk) with EJ I was under the impression that they would accept photo licence ID for internal flights if you were travelling without any baggage.I did used to use my photo licence for those flights but I always had my passport tucked away in a safe pocket 'just in case' :).

edistevie
26th Mar 2018, 09:25
Where are flights on sale? I just get an error message when trying to book EDI-DUB/DUB-EDI on Hainan's website. Given it isn't even possible to book EDI-DUB-PEK or DUB-EDI-PEK presumably due to customs and immigration reasons as I posted the other day, I'd be surprised if they open it up to just EDI-DUB pax. I went onto Hanian own web site had a little look for this July £478 EDI PEK EDI, that was last week when I looked.

GoEDI
26th Mar 2018, 15:39
The CTA is open at the UK side but you will be going through passport control at DUB, now a driving licence is ok but in reality, you DO need ID.
Are the DUB-EDI-PEK transit passengers really being allowed off at EDI?

There will be no Eastbound transit pax if the booking engine stays as it is currently, it was my earlier post relating to just that which kicked off this subject of discussion... DUB-EDI-PEK/EDI-DUB-PEK cannot be booked.

Hainan now on sale. DUB-PEK can be booked only on days 26. PEK-DUB can be booked days 2467. EDI-PEK bookable days 47. PEK-EDI bookable 2467. So it appears only the non stop options can be booked Eastbound. Is this due to issues with the CTA/Customs & immigration and not being able to mix inbound/outbound pax?

CabinCrewe
2nd Apr 2018, 18:10
whats this 'elsewhere' of EY getting the can? I was led to believe it was a full, year round, money spinner?
If true, wonder if EY scrapping anything else? Maybe all the inbound chinese tourists lapping up Hainan instead...

canberra97
2nd Apr 2018, 22:21
Who said that it was a ''money spinner''?

From reading previous posts I'm under the impression that load factors haven't been that great especially as they are up against Qatar.

I don't think Hainan coming to the scene will have to much impact on the current EY and QR flights especially as there going to be linked with Dublin.

But in saying that there is a discussion on A.net suggesting that EY will cease flying to EDI from 01 November 2018, Etihad are making several cutbacks in their network and with the load factors and yields being as they are and with direct competition from QR I guess one had to call it a day considering that there is probably more than enough competition in Scotland with QR at EDI and EK at GLA.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Apr 2018, 06:38
Make up your mind! So you DONT need a passport then?
I tried not showing it getting on a BA flight and was told “no passport no travel”!
Of course at DUB they check IDs, I am told a driving licence may suffice if British or Irish but of course I have never needed to try as a passport works best. If they suspect you are non UK/ROI national and only have a driving licence and not an EU ID, they can refuse entry.
I think.

VickersVicount
3rd Apr 2018, 13:12
on the news of a possible EY withdrawal it seems the orginal big bad EK is now flavour of the month and now being welcomed with open arms at EDI. Not unheard of but would be a curious shift, given they get all the East coast pax they need currently and for high rollers have limousine transfer west. The EK infrastructure /Lounge etc would be expensive to replicate/duplicate.
If EK are apparently more successful than QR and EY, perhaps they would wipe out both and take TK with them.
Interesting times. Inbound/outbound- Scotland markey is onviously not limitless.

willy wombat
3rd Apr 2018, 13:56
Price elastic yes - limitless, no. Opens the door for EK 380 at GLA and/or three a day. EDI made a major tactical error (IMHO) not backing one of the ME3 and getting that carrier up to twice daily asap. If they try to encourage EK to EDI it will be a repeat of same error - much better to throw their weight behind QR and try to get them up to twice daily (the reason I say this is that by getting the frequency up you massively improve connections at the hub).

edi_local
3rd Apr 2018, 14:39
I personally think they will try and do just that.

Many people assumed (maybe not on here) that QR would be done when the blockade came in, but EY, with that market still totally open to them, are the ones bowing out. I imagine QR may go to 10 a week on the back of this news, maybe slotting in where the Chinese carrier doesn't. To go straight to twice daily when EY themselves were only 5 weekly is perhaps too much too soon.

nighthawk117
3rd Apr 2018, 15:51
EDI made a major tactical error (IMHO) not backing one of the ME3 and getting that carrier up to twice daily asap. .

I really don't think that's how the industry works. It's not up to the airports to dictate frequency, it's up to the airlines. And to actively back one while discouraging another is not only bad practice, but also potentially illegal.

Lets not forget Qatar had only just launched the summer before Etihad announced plans - Qatar were nowhere near the stage of wanting to go double daily. Etihad new that, and tried to get in early and spoil the party. EDI certainly isnt going to turn them away, instead they negotiated with them, and offered them the same sort of deal they would offer any new airline.

The only thing we are going to see now that Etihad is leaving is for Qatar to receive better yields. It should also help justify the A350, which may well stay around a bit longer now. I doubt they will be looking to go twice daily.

There's a possibility Emirates may decide to step in. They might try and get part of the market before Qatar do get too established, but I think that's unlikely. They seem happy enough driving passengers through to Glasgow or Newcastle.

BFS BHD
3rd Apr 2018, 19:25
New routes to Bodrum & Corfu on sale for Summer 2019 with Jet2.

snn20
4th Apr 2018, 00:42
PVD axed for the winter, back S19

inOban
4th Apr 2018, 07:52
The withdrawal of EY has reached the Scotsman ('we have learned'). Of course maybe they read pprune....

Plane mad 134
4th Apr 2018, 10:56
Where did you find the news about the 2 new Jet2 routes?

GayFriendly
4th Apr 2018, 11:12
Flights are still bookable with EY from ED--AUH right through the winter, up to and including March, haven't checked any further.

I'd be fairly annoyed if I booked for Jan or Feb to be then re-routed via DUB which is the option they offer on days they don't operate if the route is indeed pulled.

inOban
4th Apr 2018, 15:51
Where did you find the news about the 2 new Jet2 routes?
They're in the drop-down list of destinations on their website.

I think they may be reducing the frequency on some other routes to make the space. Certainly Budapest seems to be twice weekly all summer - fair enough now FR operate as well.

CabinCrewe
4th Apr 2018, 17:53
Now reported on BBC News - EY scrapped due to 'poor uptake' whatever that means. Missed date of last flight. No winter suspension as previously suggested.

VentureGo
4th Apr 2018, 18:15
Now reported on BBC News - EY scrapped due to 'poor uptake' whatever that means. Missed date of last flight. No winter suspension as previously suggested.

Flights end from October - I guess that will be the end of the Summer timetable season.

Here's the BBC article:
Daily Abu Dhabi flights from Edinburgh Airport to be cancelled - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-43646021)

A daily air service from Edinburgh to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates is set to be cancelled.
Etihad Airways is to end the flights from October, three years after launching.
Edinburgh had been Etihad's first Scottish destination but it is understood a lack of take-up is to blame for the service ending.
The route operates with an Airbus A330-200 aircraft, with a total of 22 seats in business class and 240 in economy.
An Etihad Airways spokesman, said: "Etihad Airways continues to review its network and make a select number of adjustments which will be announced at the appropriate time, taking into account the needs of our staff, partners, and customers.
"In recent weeks the airline has increased its European schedule introducing an additional daily flight from Rome to Abu Dhabi and launching services from Baku."

HH6702
4th Apr 2018, 20:05
Was Etihad at Edinburgh first or Qatar

A320.b744
4th Apr 2018, 20:12
Was Etihad at Edinburgh first or Qatar

Qatar Airways began DOH-EDI in May 2014, whereas Etihad Airways commenced AUH-EDI in June 2015.

Plane mad 134
4th Apr 2018, 20:58
It seems flights on the etihad are still available to book on skyscanner until march time

sinbad73
4th Apr 2018, 23:42
EY are never the quickest at updating their schedules.

inOban
5th Apr 2018, 13:28
Tui: Dalaman goes twice weekly and Antalya is added once weekly. I thought that S18 was as much as could be delivered by one based a/c, but I haven't had time to discover whether the additional services are using a 3rd party carrier, or some kind of W pattern.

PDXCWL45
5th Apr 2018, 13:57
Tui: Dalaman goes twice weekly and Antalya is added once weekly. I thought that S18 was as much as could be delivered by one based a/c, but I haven't had time to discover whether the additional services are using a 3rd party carrier, or some kind of W pattern.

Antalya is down as TBA and the Monday Dalaman is down as TBA my best guess would be Freebird Airlines may well end up operating those flights.

inOban
5th Apr 2018, 15:02
Thanks for that. Saves me doing the research!

I'm surprised that Tui haven't grown more at EDI, particularly longhaul.

PDXCWL45
5th Apr 2018, 15:46
Thanks for that. Saves me doing the research!

I'm surprised that Tui haven't grown more at EDI, particularly longhaul.

I'm surprised they only have 1 based aircraft! Is Edinburgh seen more as a business oreintated airport in Scotland with Glasgow being the more holiday orientated airport?

inOban
5th Apr 2018, 16:07
I guess that's so. We also have no TCX at all, or rather they operate a few routes using Easyjet.

inOban
6th Apr 2018, 20:16
I have only just noticed that the EDI flights to Berlin are among the Easyjet flights moving to Tegel from May 2.

GLAEDI
6th Apr 2018, 20:28
It was announced about a month ago as part of its program of being a feeder carrier.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/27/easyjet-berlin-long-haul-middle-east-asian-book-connecting-flightshttps://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/27/easyjet-berlin-long-haul-middle-east-asian-book-connecting-flights

inOban
6th Apr 2018, 20:41
So when FR arrive EDI will have flights to two Berlin airports.

Skipness One Echo
7th Apr 2018, 16:48
Daily Abu Dhabi flights from Edinburgh Airport to be cancelled - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-43646021)
The airline that dare not be discussed on here is gone.

Mister Geezer
7th Apr 2018, 17:13
As I just mentioned on the GLA thread, I am led to believe that EK and EDI is a non starter at present. as there is no contact stand at EDI that is capable of accommodating the 777-300.

Parking space at the terminal is very tight for anything larger than a 332/788.

mullac30
7th Apr 2018, 17:31
As I just mentioned on the GLA thread, I am led to believe that EK and EDI is a non starter at present. as there is no contact stand at EDI that is capable of accommodating the 777-300.

The new terminal extension is adding 3 contact stands capable of handling B777/A350 with jetbridges and a direct connection to the new international arrivals, so that shouldn't be a problem.

tartan 201
7th Apr 2018, 17:48
Daily Abu Dhabi flights from Edinburgh Airport to be cancelled - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-43646021)
The airline that dare not be discussed on here is gone.

Perhaps the BBC are correct but their report seems to just rehash a similar report from the Scotsman. Meanwhile the flight remains on sale through to March 2019.

I understood that Stand 4a was recently altered to accommodate aircraft of up to 773 size. I also seem to recall that at least one of the new stands under construction can take aircraft of a similar size.

Haldane90
7th Apr 2018, 18:02
EDI can accomdate up to a380 now with all works being finished come summer. I think they will have four stands that can take a 773.

edi_local
7th Apr 2018, 21:11
A 777 (not sure which variant mind) was on stand 4A not that long ago when a UA flight diverted in on it's way to IAH from LHR. I seem to recall it had a jetty attached.

I am not sure lack of a contact stand is a deal breaker for EK. I imagine there are several places on their network where they send the 777 and there are limited facilities available.

Mister Geezer
7th Apr 2018, 22:58
Thanks for the reminder about the expansion. I had overlooked that aspect!

A 772 could be 'shoe-horned' into 4A if needed but it would be too tight for a 773. To put the present problem into perspective, if you parked a 773 nose in on a normal stand at 90 degrees to the terminal and if the nose actually touched the terminal building itself, the tail of the aircraft would still overhang outside the marked area of the stand. Therefore the terminal expansion can't come soon enough if anything bigger than the present 788/332/763 mix, is to operate on a regular basis.

EK do of course go to some primitive places but they generally seek the best facilities that are available. Remote stands, steps and busses etc can all slow down the turnaround process.

GoEDI
8th Apr 2018, 00:52
Thanks for the reminder about the expansion. I had overlooked that aspect!

A 772 could be 'shoe-horned' into 4A if needed but it would be too tight for a 773. To put the present problem into perspective, if you parked a 773 nose in on a normal stand at 90 degrees to the terminal and if the nose actually touched the terminal building itself, the tail of the aircraft would still overhang outside the marked area of the stand. Therefore the terminal expansion can't come soon enough if anything bigger than the present 788/332/763 mix, is to operate on a regular basis.

EK do of course go to some primitive places but they generally seek the best facilities that are available. Remote stands, steps and busses etc can all slow down the turnaround process.

4A was adapted to accept B77W as part of the airfield works last year, that is why there is now a dogleg on taxiway E. Stand 12 can also take B77W but has no jetbridge. Stands 15, 16 and 18 are also B77W compatible and once the terminal expansion is complete in a few months are expected to have jetbridges. That will give 5 international contact stands capable of handling aircraft of B77W or similar simultaneously. Plus there is still 2A for up to B788 size and 10A for up to A332. A massive improvement on years gone by.

edistevie
8th Apr 2018, 06:58
A 777 (not sure which variant mind) was on stand 4A not that long ago when a UA flight diverted in on it's way to IAH from LHR. I seem to recall it had a jetty attached.

I am not sure lack of a contact stand is a deal breaker for EK. I imagine there are several places on their network where they send the 777 and there are limited facilities available.
I came down the steps of a B777 at MLE no air bridges there and a walk over the stand to arrivals.

Skipness One Echo
8th Apr 2018, 07:59
I have come down 777 steps twice with EK....at Dubai.
Has the check in hall gotten any bigger? That was the real pain point on my last few trips.

LandingConfig
8th Apr 2018, 10:41
I came down the steps of a B777 at MLE no air bridges there and a walk over the stand to arrivals.

The weather in the Maldives is quite different to Scotland, however.

A380.Q400
8th Apr 2018, 11:58

Emirates use both a jetway and rear door boarding by steps at GLA, so they definitely aren't opposed to having their passengers walking in the cold Scottish rain to get to/from their aircraft.

Bagheera
8th Apr 2018, 12:10
The weather in the Maldives is quite different to Scotland, however.

You're right there. The rain I experienced at MLE was significantly heavier than anything I've ever experienced in Scotland.

It was warm rain though. :)

edi_local
8th Apr 2018, 18:48
I have come down 777 steps twice with EK....at Dubai.
Has the check in hall gotten any bigger? That was the real pain point on my last few trips.

The check in hall is more or less the same size it has been for the past 20 years or so, with the odd renovation done here and there to add kiosk style desks or make the new jet2 area. It's EDIs major let down. Even with the new check in kiosk style desks there is still the same basic problem which has plagued the airport for years....there is not enough space for all the passengers. Even when things are running normally, on buys days it's miserable.

A major expansion of the check in hall needs to take place, or a new facility needs to be built somehow, but there is simply no space to put one, unless they wanted to take out half the bus lanes in front of the terminal or remove all the landside shops to make space for passengers.

inOban
8th Apr 2018, 19:15
Will this not be improved when the extension opens this summer?

edi_local
8th Apr 2018, 20:49
Will this not be improved when the extension opens this summer?

Not directly or at least not as far as I am aware.

The extension is going to create a new immigration hall and gates. There will be a bit of a change to the landside ground floor where the current UK domestic arrivals area is, but the actual check in hall won't be expanded to the best of my knowledge anyway.

Without a major expansion of that hall they will just have the same problems anyway. The airport can throw as many check in kiosks or self service bag drops in as it likes, but people still need somewhere to stand and wait. Not only that but none of the kiosk style desks are linked to the baggage belts, so bags are tagged and then moved around in big cages. It's just a very messy check in hall.

j636
9th Apr 2018, 01:58
Hainan now on sale. DUB-PEK can be booked only on days 26. PEK-DUB can be booked days 2467. EDI-PEK bookable days 47. PEK-EDI bookable 2467. So it appears only the non stop options can be booked Eastbound. Is this due to issues with the CTA/Customs & immigration and not being able to mix inbound/outbound pax?

HU now fully bookable:

EDI-DUB-EDI (from 160 return!)
EDI-PEK-EDI
EDI-DUB-PEK-DUB-EDI

Mister Geezer
9th Apr 2018, 06:34
4A was adapted to accept B77W as part of the airfield works last year, that is why there is now a dogleg on taxiway E. Stand 12 can also take B77W but has no jetbridge. Stands 15, 16 and 18 are also B77W compatible and once the terminal expansion is complete in a few months are expected to have jetbridges. That will give 5 international contact stands capable of handling aircraft of B77W or similar simultaneously. Plus there is still 2A for up to B788 size and 10A for up to A332. A massive improvement on years gone by.

Thanks for the clarification. From what I had read some time ago stated that 4A was up to 764 size only.

Does anyone know if the airport operator has imposed any limitations on the movements of widebodies at the South East apron, as the published PCN values for Taxyways Lima, Mike and Runway 12/30 don't seem to have changed to match the ACN values of 788/332 etc. Maybe the airport operator is simply overlooking the ACN/PCN 'balance' and will accept any subsequent pavement degradation and manage it accordingly?

As for the steps issue with EK, the point I was trying to make is that they will push for the best facilities that are available. If steps are used then it is because there is no airbridge available (MLE, DXB during the rush etc) and to put it into perspective, there are hardly any destinations in the first world where steps are used all the time. In Europe the only place is Malta.

I seem to have read that there will be two immigration areas with the expansion but does anyone know if the size of the present one will be expanded and if the new one will be of a similar or larger size?

Porrohman
9th Apr 2018, 10:12
Does anyone know if the airport operator has imposed any limitations on the movements of widebodies at the South East apron, as the published PCN values for Taxyways Lima, Mike and Runway 12/30 don't seem to have changed to match the ACN values of 788/332 etc. Maybe the airport operator is simply overlooking the ACN/PCN 'balance' and will accept any subsequent pavement degradation and manage it accordingly?

The only data I have access to is published on the NATS website which relies on data provided by the airfield operator;

NATS | AIS - Home (http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/index.php%3Foption=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=62&Itemid=111.html)

Despite extensive works being undertaken in recent years, the PCNs of taxiways Lima (31/F/C/X/T) and Mike (37/F/A/W/T) have not yet increased. I don't know whether this is an oversight, whether they are waiting for the pavements to "bed down" before reassessing their PCNs or whether there is another explanation. Given that the new stands 15 and 16B will be A380 sized, I would be surprised if the PCNs are not reassessed and upgraded in the near future.

Porrohman
9th Apr 2018, 12:53
I have often wondered whether historic mining activities had any affect upon the PCNs at EDI. I found the following article regarding an abandoned shale mine that was dug to a depth of 177ft in 1892 but was abandoned in 1894 due to "sand and gravel bursting through roof at crop".

https://www.scottishshale.co.uk/GazMines/Ingliston33Mine.html

The shaft was just north of the runway 24 threshhold and the workings went northwards under the River Almond so I would be surprised if they have any affect upon the current infrastracure at EDI. These ground conditions may however have been a significant factor in the feasibility and cost of EARL proposals and the mine workings may need to be taken into account if a second parallel runway is added at EDI in twenty or thirty years time.

There are many interesting maps on the NLS website that allow users to fade between various current and various historic maps using a slider labeled "Transparency". Here is an example for EDI;

Explore georeferenced maps - Map images - National Library of Scotland (http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/index.cfm#zoom=16&lat=55.9529&lon=-3.3624&layers=168&b=1)

Note how the Gogar Burn was significantly re-routed at some stage, presumably during the construction of RAF Turnhouse.

Skipness One Echo
9th Apr 2018, 15:12
EDI-DUB-EDI (from 160 return!)
EDI-PEK-EDI
EDI-DUB-PEK-DUB-EDI
So does anyone not getting off at EDI need to be recleared to DfT standards?
i.e. Anyone China-Dublin bound has to get off at EDI and go through security again as well as the China bound Dublin passengers? What was the resolution to the double-drop conundrum? I have seen YYZ-GLA-LGW passengers on Air Transat being rescreened at GLA before being allowed to re-board the LGW leg.

j636
9th Apr 2018, 15:29
So does anyone not getting off at EDI need to be recleared to DfT standards?
i.e. Anyone China-Dublin bound has to get off at EDI and go through security again as well as the China bound Dublin passengers? What was the resolution to the double-drop conundrum? I have seen YYZ-GLA-LGW passengers on Air Transat being rescreened at GLA before being allowed to re-board the LGW leg.

From what I hear yes all passengers will still be required to be re-screened.

inOban
10th Apr 2018, 15:48
https://www.edinburghairport.com/about-us/media-centre/press-releases/international-growth-tames-beast-from-the-east

The Beast from the East caused a substantial drop in domestic PAX, counterbalancing continued International growth. Overall 0.1% down.

VickersVicount
10th Apr 2018, 16:15
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/278050/etihad-ends-edinburgh-service-in-late-sep-2018/

theredbarron
18th Apr 2018, 15:42
Not directly or at least not as far as I am aware.

The extension is going to create a new immigration hall and gates. There will be a bit of a change to the landside ground floor where the current UK domestic arrivals area is, but the actual check in hall won't be expanded to the best of my knowledge anyway.

Without a major expansion of that hall they will just have the same problems anyway. The airport can throw as many check in kiosks or self service bag drops in as it likes, but people still need somewhere to stand and wait. Not only that but none of the kiosk style desks are linked to the baggage belts, so bags are tagged and then moved around in big cages. It's just a very messy check in hall.

Was it not proposed that the existing immigration and customs baggage hall were to be added to an extended check-in area. If not, what other use might that area be being put to?

Plane mad 134
18th Apr 2018, 15:47
Norwegian are expanding their sercvice to Newburgh for W18/19 by increasing the frequency from 3 to 7 weekly.

Information was found on routes online news

CabinCrewe
18th Apr 2018, 17:42
interesting move for the depths of winter knowing what the other established carriers do for NYC routes during this time. A fair old trek into city if the weather not great.
Suppose those Maxs got to do something!
Will be interesting to see the schedule the following winter...

GoEDI
18th Apr 2018, 18:16
Certainly worthy of an increase from 3pw based on loads this winter. Daily perhaps optimistic, but we'll see... no UA at GLA and upcoming connectivity with EZY might help. I suspect these increases have been partly fueled by PVD flopping network wide too.

AerRyan
18th Apr 2018, 18:53
If you look at Norwegian in general they've some crazy winter increases. From 2x weekly to Daily from Shannon for example.

inOban
18th Apr 2018, 19:07
Since the Newburgh a/c starts from Oslo, do they fly any pax from Oslo via EDI?

Plane mad 134
21st Apr 2018, 20:30
I see AirFrance are using mainstream aircraft on quite a few services to Edinburgh instead of Hop!

edi_local
21st Apr 2018, 21:21
I see AirFrance are using mainstream aircraft on quite a few services to Edinburgh instead of Hop!

I have an AF booing in November which is showing an A318 both ways.

I would have thought winter would be the Hop Embraer, but apparently not.

GoEDI
21st Apr 2018, 21:33

2 of the 3 daily flights are operated by mainline for S18.

Plane mad 134
22nd Apr 2018, 07:33
Thats good to know there is extra capacity and also todays Qatar flight is being operated by A7-AEM which is an A330-300

Rutan16
22nd Apr 2018, 11:19
In many ways the mainline A318 is a downgrade on the Hop Embraers particularly in comfort imho.

The A318s have rather hard rigid and narrow seats.

Perhaps the Transavia service to Orly will better mainline on point to point now.

CabinCrewe
22nd Apr 2018, 21:07
An A330-300 doing route config testing today on DOH-EDI today in anticipation of A350.

SWBKCB
23rd Apr 2018, 10:25
Edinburgh bemoans 'short-sighted' delay to cutting Scottish APD

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/edinburgh-bemoans-short-sighted-delay-to-cutting-s-447909/

Boo-hoo :{

willy wombat
23rd Apr 2018, 18:40
I've said it before but, regardless of what was in various manifestos, given the traffic growth in Scotland, particularly at EDI, there is no justification for a Government which believes in "progressive" taxation (and demonstrates this by increasing the higher rates of income tax) reducing APD.

inOban
26th Apr 2018, 22:10
I only noticed recently that EZY are keeping the Naples route operating all winter, 2/wk. I'm surprised that more Mediterranean routes aren't continued at some frequency most of all of the winter. There are many people who prefer the Med in winter. I can't think of any reason to go there in summer.

Sk1schoolsam
30th Apr 2018, 07:54
Sitting on the tarmac at EDI on a FLYBE flight looking at the new expansion and gates, looking well on with construction. But no sign of the airbidges at Gate 16 17 and 18 A’s per the released images. Have taken a photo or two... now only if I could figure out how to post them. Does anyone have info if the air bridges are coming later.. or at all

billyg
6th May 2018, 08:26
An A330-300 doing route config testing today on DOH-EDI today in anticipation of A350.

Just read elsewhere this morning that Qatar are reviewing their Edinburgh ops , certainly will no longer be upgraded to the A350 !

PDXCWL45
6th May 2018, 08:31
Just read elsewhere this morning that Qatar are reviewing their Edinburgh ops , certainly will no longer be upgraded to the A350 !
Still down as an A350 900 on their website

VickersVicount
6th May 2018, 10:29
No evidence of that. A359 ops plans very much up and running. No 'review of EDI ops' mentioned anywhere.
Default in advance timetables so far in advance might just be 787.
QR is doing well in J and as we know ,QR will throw money at routes indefinitely if needed.

PDXCWL45
6th May 2018, 10:35
No evidence of that. A359 ops plans very much up and running. No 'review of EDI ops' mentioned anywhere.
Default in advance timetables so far in advance might just be 787.
QR is doing well in J and as we know ,QR will throw money at routes indefinitely if needed.
Plus when Etihad leave they'll be the only ME3 cargo option as well .

billyg
6th May 2018, 12:24
Still down as an A350 900 on their website

Yeah , it's been clarified now , will still be upgraded this summer but will return to 788 ops later !

GoEDI
6th May 2018, 12:49

I'm sure we'd all love to know where you 'read' this...?

A350 still showing as planned. If you're simply jumping on the fact early S19 is showing as B788, then it will likely have just defaulted to that as it coincides with start of IATA S19 and route was B788 at same stage this year. EDI is not unique in this situation, there are other destinations with upcoming upgrades B788->A350 this year that are still showing B788 for S19, CPH and VIE to name a couple. I'm sure it'll all be updated in due course. It took them long enough to get S18 showing correctly and W18 was only just updated a matter of weeks ago. Give them a chance...

EDIRAMP
6th May 2018, 17:24
Qatar have no plans to go back to the 787, the test with the A330 went very well. In other words thomas cooks launch to Antalya yesterday went well. Hopefully more expansion soon to follow. Shannon running the risk of being cut, loads not going much abve 50-60

fly22
8th May 2018, 08:18
Emirates have announced this morning the are starting from Edinburgh on 1st October, 777-300 arriving 1450 departing 2015.

A350Saltire
8th May 2018, 10:06
Emirates have announced this morning the are starting from Edinburgh on 1st October, 777-300 arriving 1450 departing 2015.

Pleased to finally see this happen. It makes a lot of sense putting the service into EDI rather than a third daily to GLA.

nwoody2001
8th May 2018, 10:28
be interesting to see what (if any) impact this has on the GLA numbers....

inOban
8th May 2018, 10:36
Quite a lot, I expect. As the first ME3 in Scotland, Emirates has a loyal following and many current pax travel from the East.

Skipness One Echo
8th May 2018, 11:22
When Continental/United first ran ops at both airports, they soon shifted focus their from West to East, I wonder if the 2nd daily GLA might move East rather than a 2nd daily EDI in the medium term?

GLAEDI
8th May 2018, 11:30
EK have shown to still be ahead of the game with regards flights to the U.K. compared to QR & EY. The EDI flight solves the capacity issues at GLA & NCL and the fact the profit comes from the belly rather than SLF. The plans for the A380 at Glasgow will no longer be on the table as we know it’s not good for freight.

Could this be the reason the rumours regarding QR looking at their EDI route, mentioned above? They must be a tad annoyed to think that they’ve seen off EY only to get EK coming in!! Also TK must be wondering also. I know that fans of tail fins will always celebrate new carriers but how big is the market as we’ve lost EY from the Central Belt. If I remember they planned two flights a day when the route was first announced.

Haldane90
8th May 2018, 11:51
EK have shown to still be ahead of the game with regards flights to the U.K. compared to QR & EY. The EDI flight solves the capacity issues at GLA & NCL and the fact the profit comes from the belly rather than SLF. The plans for the A380 at Glasgow will no longer be on the table as we know it’s not good for freight.

Could this be the reason the rumours regarding QR looking at their EDI route, mentioned above? They must be a tad annoyed to think that they’ve seen off EY only to get EK coming in!! Also TK must be wondering also. I know that fans of tail fins will always celebrate new carriers but how big is the market as we’ve lost EY from the Central Belt. If I remember they planned two flights a day when the route was first announced.

from what i have heard Emirates at EDI has been long in the works, with Hainan and Emirates coming to EDI this was a major reason why Etihad pulled EDI as the route was underperforming already. EDI has been working with Emirates for quite some time and has invested in upgraded taxiways etc to accomodate them.

inOban
8th May 2018, 11:55
The other factor is the arrival of the direct Beijing flights. Some of the most valuable belly freight is fresh fish/shelfish for which the Chinese consumers have an insatiable appetite.

XSBaggage
8th May 2018, 13:27
Regarding TK's reaction to Emirates' arrival - do they compete for the same passengers as QR and EK? Since they don't fly to Australia but do fly to a variety of destinations in the Middle East, Central Asia, Africa and Turkey itself I always felt their market was a bit different from the ME3? Does anyone have any info on this? I would hate to see them go.

XSBaggage
8th May 2018, 13:34
What is note worthy is the six (ish) hours the aircraft will spend on the ground in EDI, which is very rare for EK. It might sound a bit far fetched but it would give enough time to fit in a quick shuttle to somewhere that couldn't sustain a dedicated route.

Such a suggestion maybe opening up a can of worms but the exact same rumours have been circulating regarding the new STN route which has very similar schedules to this new EDI route.

I just assumed that DXB is getting busier and slots becoming rarer so they have had to calculate the costs of sitting on the ground in EDI or STN are worth it in the end. Perhaps both are timed with connecting pax in mind, or the timings of freight being trucked to the departure station?

LiamNCL
8th May 2018, 13:37
With a 20:15 departure it looks like its been introduced instead of a evening departure from NCL which probably wouldnt sustain a double daily 77W

sinbad73
8th May 2018, 13:43
Presumably it will be towed somewhere remotely during the long layover, to save using up valuable real estate by putting a gate out of commission for 6 hours or so?

Mister Geezer
8th May 2018, 13:51
I had inadvertently deleted my post so thanks XSBaggage (https://www.pprune.org/members/64894-xsbaggage) for quoting it.

Pie in the sky it may sound, however this does give them the time to add a Belfast shuttle in the event that the ramifications of Brexit are detrimental to traffic flows across the Irish border, providing it of course makes financial sense! It is interesting to note that a Emirates sales team was installed in Belfast last year and their manager for Ireland reaffirmed their commitment to customers from the 'North' in the same article in The Irish News last year.

It will be interesting to see what happens here anyway and it is good news for Scotland as a whole!

CraigJay
8th May 2018, 14:17
It’s nice to see emirates going to EDI but I’m concerned that we might see reductions from TK and QR, perhaps the latter might reconsider the upgraded A350. I’m not convinced that Emirates coming right now is the best thing in the long run, I’d rather have seen QR going double daily before EK arrived.

inOban
8th May 2018, 14:37
although TK cut back to just a daily flight, from 9/so, I think, I notice on FR that some rotations are using a 737-900, so loadings must be ok. And QR has the advantage of being in the One world alliance, so will be attractive to those collecting or using Avios, or whatever they're called.

As ever, the market will decide, and the outcome will depend on the UK and world economy.

Musket90
8th May 2018, 18:49
Schedule timings looks similar to the new Stansted service starting in June - arriving 1405 and on the ground for about 6 hours before returning.

Porrohman
9th May 2018, 13:29
I had inadvertently deleted my post so thanks XSBaggage (https://www.pprune.org/members/64894-xsbaggage) for quoting it.

Pie in the sky it may sound, however this does give them the time to add a Belfast shuttle in the event that the ramifications of Brexit are detrimental to traffic flows across the Irish border, providing it of course makes financial sense! It is interesting to note that a Emirates sales team was installed in Belfast last year and their manager for Ireland reaffirmed their commitment to customers from the 'North' in the same article in The Irish News last year.

It will be interesting to see what happens here anyway and it is good news for Scotland as a whole!

Or a hop to Aberdeen and back?

Plane.Silly
9th May 2018, 14:46
Or a hop to Aberdeen and back?

Very much doubt that, the runway is too short.

I'd be backing a trip to BFS/DUB to fill the time.

Porrohman
9th May 2018, 15:21
Very much doubt that, the runway is too short.

I'd be backing a trip to BFS/DUB to fill the time.

A B77W could take off from ABZs runway at a weight of around 600,000lbs. That's more than enough for a short hop to EDI but not enough for a direct service to Dubai with a full payload. It could probably park on Apron 01 if the PCN of that apron and Taxiway Mike are sufficient. RFFS would need to be upgraded from Cat 7 to Cat 9 and the shoulders of some corners on Taxiway Mike might need to be widened. There are plenty of oil workers that would welcome a service from Aberdeen to Dubai and there's probably a lot of cargo potential.

Porrohman
9th May 2018, 15:51
Presumably it will be towed somewhere remotely during the long layover, to save using up valuable real estate by putting a gate out of commission for 6 hours or so?

EDI doesn't currently have any remote stands capable of accommodating a B77W. All four suitable stands are adjacent to the terminal. The SE end of the permanently closed Runway 12/30, including Block 33, would have been suitable but this is now fenced off and is being converted to a car park. A large number of new stands are planned for the area between the SE Apron and the former GAT / hangars but construction won't start until later this year. That said, I don't think there should be a problem keeping a B77W at a terminal stand at that time of the day. It's overnight when parking space is at a premium at EDI, not during the afternoon and early evening. An unserviceable B77W stuck at EDI for several days might be more problematic. I suspect it would be put on the South Cargo Apron but with the wings and fuselage extending considerably beyond the dimensions of the stand.

sinbad73
10th May 2018, 11:04
We do know that 2015hrs is the departure time from EDI in October for S18, changes to an 1830hrs for W18 from the end of October then reverts to 2015hrs from late March 2019 for S19? Doesn't allow a lot of time for a short hop anywhere in W18 - that's for sure.

Navpi
11th May 2018, 05:32
https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/gordon-dewar-msps-back-heathrow-monopoly-that-harms-scottish-airports-1-4737416/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Skipness One Echo
11th May 2018, 09:21
Oh Navpi....

Gordon Dewar's 1977 build terminal cannot cope with what it has today and future facilites vs. projected traffic are at the lower end of "cheapest option."
Mr Dewar is out to maximise value for his shareholders, he's not a public servant taking a neutral view of what's best for Scotland. Not only that, but the money behind EDI is GIP, the same money behind "Your London Airport, Gatwick" which fought the most hysterical rearguard action against LHR expansion as constraining demand at LHR is what is driving growth at LGW. It's all very joined up, it's all about money, and there's no monopoly at LHR.
Consider the reason United serve both London and Scotland and yet have 17 daily flights out of LHR, *zero* from LGW and currently two daily at EDI. That's a reflection of market opportunity, this is more about long haul for LGW than getting more traffic for EDI in a market where it's barely coping with what it has today.

GIP need to properly invest in EDI in the same way they have done wonders at LGW. Getting Emirates is a great coup for EDI and frankly the second GLA is at medium term risk of moving East. If Mr Dewar can put some world class facilities into EDI I'll take his moans about LHR at face value.

willy wombat
11th May 2018, 09:51
Good post, Skipness.

4eyed anorak
14th May 2018, 09:11
Busiest April yet!2018
Apr
% vs Last Year
Domestic
3.1%
International
7.2%
Total
5.7%
MAT
7.3%
Regards 4ea

4eyed anorak
16th May 2018, 16:18
Looking at the Turkish website it's showing that the B738Max is being used on the 5th, 6th August. No doubt it'll be used on other days but a new type for the airline at EDI.

regards 4ea

Plane mad 134
19th May 2018, 21:23
British Airways Cityflyer started the new service to Florence today, does anyone know the loads for the flight?

inOban
19th May 2018, 22:42
On the Cityflyer theme, i assume that the Mahon service is a charter, for whom?

GrahamK
20th May 2018, 09:19
Tui and/or Barrhead Travel

frontcheck
20th May 2018, 14:59
Yesterday's Florence was full, as is next weeks.

BAladdy
21st May 2018, 01:33
BACF will operate weekly charter flights for TUI to Mahon and Malaga and for Barrhead Travel to Palma. Flights to PMI and MAH will operate on a Saturday using E90. Flights to AGP will be operated by a E70 on a Sunday Morning

BACF will also once again operate charter flights on selected dates from GVA and ZRH to EDI for the Swiss Tour Operator Kontiki using a E70. Flights will arr EDI on a Saturday morning and depart on a Sunday evening.
British Airways Cityflyer started the new service to Florence today, does anyone know the loads for the flight?
Flights for the next 3 weeks are fully booked. There is only 3 seats left on sale for 16th June. Then next available flight is on 21st July. So route looks like it is doing very well.

inOban
21st May 2018, 07:44
Thanks for that. Are the Florence bookings personal, or are they booked in blocks by specialist tour operators?

BAladdy
21st May 2018, 07:54
Thanks for that. Are the Florence bookings personal, or are they booked in blocks by specialist tour operators?Not sure... looks like personal bookings.. BACF Have been running quite a large advertising campaign for there new routes this summer

Plane mad 134
22nd May 2018, 21:36
Thanks for the information on the BA loads it is good to see them getting good loads on their services, It's a wonder why they don't operate more flights than they currently do

CabinCrewe
24th May 2018, 13:52
Water cannon salute today for first summer seasonal UA 757 to IAD. Interesting to see how this does compared to eg PHL and ATL as outbound connections less than other hubs. Inbound tourism during peak summer should be good. Wonder if people would switch from existing US services to use this instead?

Sk1schoolsam
26th May 2018, 07:44
Sitting on. Plane on Stand 14 (Gate12) and just noticed the ground markings for Aircraft. Lists A350-1, B777 B, B747-4, B777-2, A350/8, B787-9, A330-2-3, B787-8 and B767-3.
Not quite sure I recognise all these aircraft types (B777-B? And assume the A350-1 means 10, also now 9 listed) and somewhat optimistic but shows at least one stand for the larger planes. I assume new stand 16 is the same. Only downside for passengers is that although officially a contact stand to the terminal there is no airbridge (now or in the future) unless anyone knows differently....
i had contact over Twitter with the airport who confirmed that 3 of the new expansion stands will have airbridges installed l, they did not say when.

Bagheera
26th May 2018, 08:41
The markings you refer to are on stand 12. When this is in use it will preclude the use of stands 11 and 14. It can’t be used at the moment due to the ongoing works to the terminal extension. B777 B is a single designation used to refer to the B772LR and the B773ER necessary because both types have the same wider wingspan. A350-1 refers to the A350-1000. As far as I know there are no plans to have an airbridge to this stand but it is the least likely widebody stand to be used, the current main terminal widebody stands 2A, 4A and 10A are all served by airbridges. The new widebody stands 15, 16 and 18 will have airbridges in Place by late summer/autumn and are all capable of taking aircraft up to 777/747 size with stand 16 being wide enough to accommodate an A380.

Sk1schoolsam
26th May 2018, 11:01
The markings you refer to are on stand 12. When this is in use it will preclude the use of stands 11 and 14. It can’t be used at the moment due to the ongoing works to the terminal extension. B777 B is a single designation used to refer to the B772LR and the B773ER necessary because both types have the same wider wingspan. A350-1 refers to the A350-1000. As far as I know there are no plans to have an airbridge to this stand but it is the least likely widebody stand to be used, the current main terminal widebody stands 2A, 4A and 10A are all served by airbridges. The new widebody stands 15, 16 and 18 will have airbridges in Place by late summer/autumn and are all capable of taking aircraft up to 777/747 size with stand 16 being wide enough to accommodate an A380.

Many thanks for the response, appreciated 👍😊 makes sense. I wonder if they will “park” the EK flight there for the 6hrs on the ground. Looks like this stand is out of use right now tilll the main extension works are finished.

Plane mad 134
26th May 2018, 16:48
Does anyone know any new route rumours for Edinburgh as the only ones I can find are another Chinese route to be added and Virgin Atlantic to add a few longhaul routes.

Haldane90
26th May 2018, 17:56
Does anyone know any new route rumours for Edinburgh as the only ones I can find are another Chinese route to be added and Virgin Atlantic to add a few longhaul routes.

Virgin Atlantic? What have you heard?

canberra97
26th May 2018, 18:16

Do you have a source for these 'rumours' as you have stated 'the only ones I can find are'!

I personally don't think that we're see another Chinese link added at EDI until Hainan have bedded down and with regards to VS again I personally don't think that we will see them 'adding a few long haul routes' either.

They are what they are just rumours with absolutely nothing to back them up and more than likely made up by young over enthusiastic plane spotters when having a 'wet dream'!

Plane mad 134
26th May 2018, 20:09
The sources for the information are :

https://www.scotsman.com/news/richard-branson-hints-at-virgin-flights-from-edinburgh-to-us-1-4680550 (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16095249.China_s_vote_of_confidence_will_bring_more_long_hau l_flights/)

China's vote of confidence in Scotland means more flights | HeraldScotland (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/16095249.China_s_vote_of_confidence_will_bring_more_long_hau l_flights/)

Although I agree with you that these are only rumours and are unlikely to happen.

inOban
26th May 2018, 20:43
GLA has signed the same sort of deal with Shanghai that EDI did a few years back with Beijing, including working towards direct flights, I would have thought it unlikely, unless HK?

Porrohman
27th May 2018, 11:56
Given Virgin Atlantic's ongoing fleet problems caused by RR engine issues on its B789s, which are likely to last well into next year and could still get worse before they get better, I'd be surprised if they announced EDI routes this year or next, unless at the expense of other routes in their network.

nighthawk117
28th May 2018, 09:04
Virgin Atlantic are part owned by Delta, and have recently been taking over a number of Delta operated flights from Manchester. If we see Virgin operating from EDI, then it will be at the expense of Delta, rather than an additional route.

A second Chinese route is a possibility - a rival carrier may choose to step in to the market before Hianan gets too established, however with GLA recently signing the agreement with Shanghai, I think the next Chinese route will be more likely to go to GLA than EDI.

Other than that, I can't see much long haul on the immediate horizon. Possibly a return of JAL charters.

GLAEDI
28th May 2018, 12:39
Given that DL & VS are basically the same airline it’s been noticeable that as people get use to the joint marketing it’s going to be similar to BA/IB and AF/KL. So if DL think the JFK will sell better with the VS brand then you could find a VS A330 rather than a DL 767/757 into EDI. I have noticed lately on the VS from MCO to GLA the increase in DL pax, approx 70 per flight, quite a few are using MCO as a Transit point. This is a huge increase from even two years ago where all but 3-4 pax were Brits going to the Kingdom of Mouse. For now though the Delta brand is maybe the best for EDI given the fall of Sterling and that the current trend is for Americans to come here to Scotland. Also how much influence does the beard have with VS?

EI-A330-300
4th Jun 2018, 11:02
Aer Lingus return A320 to DUB from late October on the first flight on days 1,4,5,7.

inOban
4th Jun 2018, 13:30
I see that there's a Beijing flight at 1600. I assume that this is a publicity one full of the great and good,as the scheduled services don't start until a week on Thursday.

edi_local
4th Jun 2018, 14:28
I see that there's a Beijing flight at 1600. I assume that this is a publicity one full of the great and good,as the scheduled services don't start until a week on Thursday.

​​​​​​Just testing the Edinburgh airport IT, FIDS etc. There is no actual flight.

inOban
4th Jun 2018, 15:00
Ah! I noticed a similar last week which then disappeared..

Plane mad 134
10th Jun 2018, 20:27
It will be nice to see the Aer Lingus jet back in edinburgh I have forgot the last time it was here on a scheduled service, Also does anyone know the loads for Aegean?

CabinCrewe
10th Jun 2018, 21:22
ATH has decent loads, would be hard to tease out from CAA stats given there are often two operators on the route with EZY too.
Figures were down in March by 5% but I suppose that could be weather?
EI A320 was certainly on one of the daily rotations in 2012/13.

Plane mad 134
10th Jun 2018, 22:26
Thanks for that information, I would say it was the weather as a lot of flights were cancelled over those days.

Plane mad 134
12th Jun 2018, 06:52
Hainan arrived into Edinburgh today, there are pictures and videos on twitter of it.

CabinCrewe
12th Jun 2018, 17:33
Thought there might have been more excitement about it on here.... 🧐
Wonder how it was loaded and what the service onboard is like?

Plane mad 134
15th Jun 2018, 20:05
I see Vueling are using EC-ISY a 757 on the Barcelona route tonight, Does anyone know why?

4eyed anorak
16th Jun 2018, 09:43
Busiest ever May with passengers figures up 7.4%2018
Apr
% vs Last Year
Domestic
2.9%
International
10.1%
Total
7.4%
MAT
7.0%
Regards 4ea

Speedywheels
17th Jun 2018, 13:23
Anybody else have the pleasure of arriving or departing the airport by road on Thursday afternoon/evening?

When I arrived on Tuesday afternoon the Surface car park was close to full. Leaving on Thursday, the place was in complete meltdown. Queues of traffic trying to leave the car parks and drop off areas with equal amounts of traffic struggling to get into the airport. Traffic was so slow, passengers had to resort to abandoning the buses, taxis and cars to walk from the A8 and Eastfield Road into departures. I understand there had been an RTA down towards the Gyle which was the initial cause but it did get me thinking the infrastructure and road system is creaking under the continual growth of flights.

It’s the National Cow of the Year Show at Ingliston next weekend, creating more stress to the traffic system. We are also only two weeks from the school holidays and presumably even more passengers using the airport. Thankfully, I will not be going anywhere near the place for the next few weeks but if events like Thursday are going to become the norm, I will need to rethink times that I want to use the airport.

Was Thursday a one off or are my fears that the road links are not capable of handling the traffic at peak times?

inOban
17th Jun 2018, 13:42
The RTA was between a tram and a shuttle bus between the longstay and the terminal, so the trams had to terminate at Gyle and passengers bussed from there. Congestion almost inevitable.

Speedywheels
17th Jun 2018, 13:55
The RTA was between a tram and a shuttle bus between the longstay and the terminal, so the trams had to terminate at Gyle and passengers bussed from there. Congestion almost inevitable.

Wasn’t that the day before (Wednesday)? If the chaos was caused by substitute busses due to the tram accident that occurred 24 hours before, not sure I agree it was inevitable.

inOban
17th Jun 2018, 14:27
It took all Thursday to repair the track etc; the full service restarted on Friday morning.

Sk1schoolsam
17th Jun 2018, 19:23
Anybody else have the pleasure of arriving or departing the airport by road on Thursday afternoon/evening?

When I arrived on Tuesday afternoon the Surface car park was close to full. Leaving on Thursday, the place was in complete meltdown. Queues of traffic trying to leave the car parks and drop off areas with equal amounts of traffic struggling to get into the airport. Traffic was so slow, passengers had to resort to abandoning the buses, taxis and cars to walk from the A8 and Eastfield Road into departures. I understand there had been an RTA down towards the Gyle which was the initial cause but it did get me thinking the infrastructure and road system is creaking under the continual growth of flights.

It’s the National Cow of the Year Show at Ingliston next weekend, creating more stress to the traffic system. We are also only two weeks from the school holidays and presumably even more passengers using the airport. Thankfully, I will not be going anywhere near the place for the next few weeks but if events like Thursday are going to become the norm, I will need to rethink times that I want to use the airport.

Was Thursday a one off or are my fears that the road links are not capable of handling the traffic at peak times?

I don’t disagree that traffic management has been an issue for some time, and coming to the Airport as I do from out of the city I have limited public transportation options. However as @EDI have tweeted in response to numerous agree customer tweets the responsibility for the access road lies with the City Council. The airport are in discussions to build a new access road from Gogar but I am not holding my breath for anything to be built within a few years.
I will giving myself a bit more time when I head in tomorrow afternoon and again a week on Saturday.

Callum Paterson
17th Jun 2018, 22:29
Regarding Athens, while I don't know the loads or even the capacity/ frequency of the route, I have been checking fares on a fairly frequent bases of late with the intention of booking for later in the year. Fares are consistently over £100 return per person, before you add any extras. Hardly scientific I know but it does suggest yields are healthy for both airlines.

Flightrider
18th Jun 2018, 05:23
I take it you are joking. Fares clearing £100 return Inc taxes to Athens implies a yield nett of around £35 per sector if all seats are sold at that approximate level. For a four hour sector, that's not healthy - it's an economic disaster area even with ancillary revenue.

Callum Paterson
18th Jun 2018, 07:09
If that's the case then no airline flying from the UK to Athens is making money. From what I've seen EDI departures seem to be slightly more than those from other UK airports. As I say not scientific, just saying what I see.

inOban
18th Jun 2018, 07:26
Are the taxes to Athens especially high? Actually the cheapest flight by Easyjet over the next couple of months is £125, the highest over £400.

Plane.Silly
18th Jun 2018, 12:54
I take it you are joking. Fares clearing £100 return Inc taxes to Athens implies a yield nett of around £35 per sector if all seats are sold at that approximate level. For a four hour sector, that's not healthy - it's an economic disaster area even with ancillary revenue.

It might not set the record book alight, but if it wasn't profitable, surely they'd ditch it.
And i'd be surprised if "all seats are sold at that approximate level", they will surely push the fares up once they start selling or get closer to departure. That would also help with profitablility

mullac30
18th Jun 2018, 13:00
Hainan to swap to the 787-9 on 1st July, then to the 787-8 after 20th July.

CabinCrewe
18th Jun 2018, 15:46
So soon to be making changes. Perhaps always planned. Equally could be in response to very low initial loads (anectdotally reported as low as 30%). Was pretty short launch lead time so one would expect it to perk up hopefully even if only during peak summer months.
Interesting latest CAA stats for northern middle east routes showing only QR and EY declining. EK bound to shake that up.

Sk1schoolsam
19th Jun 2018, 07:37
Hainan to swap to the 787-9 on 1st July, then to the 787-8 after 20th July.

Unfortunately it looks like the Hainan flights have also been dropped from the winter schedule. No direct flights after the 27th October loaded. 😢 Still shows on EDI site and goes against original announcements of all year round. Perhaps still to be loaded but doubt it.

willy wombat
19th Jun 2018, 08:12
This all seems a little bit strange. Even if the bookings are a bit low you'd have thought they'd have given it two or three months to see how things went. Are the Dublin flights still in the system? Is the impending arrival of EK at EDI hoovering up Chinese tourists (many of whom like to visit Dubai en route to or from Europe).

ld0595
19th Jun 2018, 08:21
This all seems a little bit strange. Even if the bookings are a bit low you'd have thought they'd have given it two or three months to see how things went. Are the Dublin flights still in the system? Is the impending arrival of EK at EDI hoovering up Chinese tourists (many of whom like to visit Dubai en route to or from Europe).

Dublin doesn't seem to appear either for me at least. I'd be very surprised if they changed it to a seasonal route this early on. Hopefully it's just an error in the system.

Porrohman
19th Jun 2018, 11:40
Maybe the double drop arrangement will end from 27 October and Dublin and Edinburgh will each get their own flights thereafter?

CabinCrewe
19th Jun 2018, 11:54
Something afoot given you cant seem to be able to book any winter timetable flights which doesnt help the already short lead launch and forward bookings (Im sure the origibal fanfare confirmed year round). Flights from Nov connect via BRU/MAN
Seems a bit of a mish-mash so far. The aircraft switching, double drop and a 'relatively' unknown carrier in UK might need some work. Maybe a direct short peak summer service might have been a better option first.

EI-A330-300
19th Jun 2018, 12:16
HU only filed the current schedule into early Nov so I expect a finial decision will be due soon but given they announce things with a month or two could well be September.

canberra97
19th Jun 2018, 15:39

Do have any stats regarding your comments (Chinese tourists many of whom like to visit Dubai en route to or from Europe)?

I have to say that's news to me, there may be a fair amount that do but the majority of those Chinese tourists tend to fly directly to Europe, that's how I perceive it especially in my line of work.

edi_local
19th Jun 2018, 17:22
I don't know what it is that attracts Chinese tourists to the middle east particularly. I can't say I've ever heard of them wanting to spend a day or two in Dubai, Doha or Abu Dhabi en-route in any sizeable figure anyway. They tend to be more interested in European cities as they are so vastly different to their own. The large groups often fly in, do a circuit of a country, or maybe a few neighbouring countries in a fully loaded, high impact tour and then go straight home.

As for HU. It is a bit of a mix and match, but then it is very early days. I've heard the route will go direct for DUB and EDI in winter, but then that's not from any kind of reliable source, just hearsay. I doubt they would have invested in the local staff, the GHA training and had the high profile launch to have a short summer only service. Not only that but EDI has also gone all out, updating signs in the terminal to show Mandarin way finding for the transit passengers and a large floor to ceiling set of instructions for said passengers in the baggage hall. They clearly have long term plans.

The road access at EDI has been inadequate for several years. The RHS (which IMO is in the wrong city anyway, it would be better placed in Stirling, Perth, or a location in Fife) just adds to an already strained network of roads and the whole thing fails. This year they have been particularly over enthusiastic and have closed off roads and made diversion routes a good week or so before the RHS actually starts. Extremely annoying for those of us who use the airport regularly. They have a solution for staff though. The old taxi ways and runway 12/30 has been opened up as an alternative exit from the staff car parks to avoid the main road out. That will take away a few hundred cards throughout the day, so that does help somewhat, but it's only for staff. I suspect this route will one day be an official road from the Maybury direction. Building a dedicated road to Gogarburn roundabout is one thing, but I hope they don't ignore the other direction too. I would argue that most traffic to EDI comes from the M8/M9 and once they hit Newbridge that's where the bottlenecks happen. The M8/M9 should have been extended to the Gyle as a spur road and the Airport/RHS given a proper dedicated route in and out. The traffic has no option but to build up when it goes from Motorway to A road to country lane in the space of barely 2 miles.

willy wombat
19th Jun 2018, 18:01
I can assure you that if you visit Dubai (as I do regularly) the place is hoching with Chinese visitors staying 24/48 hours. To some extent they have replaced the Russians. All the staff in the upmarket hotels now know at least a few phrases of Manderin.

inOban
19th Jun 2018, 18:06
But are they heading for Europe? More likely to their big projects in Africa.

After all heading to the UK from China via the ME3 is going the long way round.

willy wombat
19th Jun 2018, 19:03
They are tourists, not project workers. They are heading to or returning from Europe.

Sk1schoolsam
20th Jun 2018, 07:08
@EDI on Twitter confines to me that EDI still believes the Hainan service to Beijing is year round and that flights will go on sale “soon” I defer to their inside knowledge on this. Currently still no direct flights on the Hainan web site to EDI in W18.

GLAEDI
20th Jun 2018, 07:50
Just a quick defence of the RHS, it brings 190,000 visitors to Edinburgh, it’s been at the Ingliston site since 1960 and it owns the land it’s on. The Ingliston site is used for more than just the RHS and they have looked at different sites in Edinburgh but nothing is available that has the same infrastructure. It would be expensive for the airport to buy the land from the RHS into tens of millions which I believe they still only rent parts from the RHS. Also since the RHS is an Edinburgh Organisation why should it leave Edinburgh because it means some extra time to get to the airport?

Speedywheels
20th Jun 2018, 10:01
Also since the RHS is an Edinburgh Organisation why should it leave Edinburgh because it means some extra time to get to the airport?

Who said it should?

nighthawk117
20th Jun 2018, 10:26
Just a quick defence of the RHS, it brings 190,000 visitors to Edinburgh, it’s been at the Ingliston site since 1960 and it owns the land it’s on. The Ingliston site is used for more than just the RHS and they have looked at different sites in Edinburgh but nothing is available that has the same infrastructure. It would be expensive for the airport to buy the land from the RHS into tens of millions which I believe they still only rent parts from the RHS. Also since the RHS is an Edinburgh Organisation why should it leave Edinburgh because it means some extra time to get to the airport?

It's in everyones interest for them to move. I'm sure the attendees of the Highland Show hate sitting in the inevitable queues just as much as the airport passengers do.

The land they are on will be worth a fortune to the airport - cash in, buy up a cheap plot of land in the middle of nowhere, and build up a new, larger venue, and still have some change left over.

GLAEDI
20th Jun 2018, 10:27
Who said it should?

it has been mentioned on here before, as recently as edi_local‘s post saying it should be moved to Stirling, Perth or Fife as in his opinion it’s not to be celebrated in Capital of the country because it upsets some people getting to the airport. It’s a huge tourist attraction, celebrating Scottish Culture and rural life, it’s home should be in the Capital.

GLAEDI
20th Jun 2018, 10:33
It's in everyones interest for them to move. I'm sure the attendees of the Highland Show hate sitting in the inevitable queues just as much as the airport passengers do.

The land they are on will be worth a fortune to the airport - cash in, buy up a cheap plot of land in the middle of nowhere, and build up a new, larger venue, and still have some change left over.

or the airport moves to Grangemouth like the original plans were. Maybe it’s now to big for its current situation. Would reduce the noise pollution in and around Edinburgh & West Lothian. It would reduce congestion on the routes into the city.

If the RHS was move to a rural place in the middle of nowhere, quite how do 190,000 visitors never mind the people that put the event together get there?

4eyed anorak
20th Jun 2018, 11:17
How about moving it to Airth? Motorway conections and smackbang in the middle of the country. No chance an airport would be built there!

Regards 4ea

edi_local
20th Jun 2018, 11:39
it has been mentioned on here before, as recently as edi_local‘s post saying it should be moved to Stirling, Perth or Fife as in his opinion it’s not to be celebrated in Capital of the country because it upsets some people getting to the airport. It’s a huge tourist attraction, celebrating Scottish Culture and rural life, it’s home should be in the Capital.

I merely stated it should be held in a better location. Indeed you see trucks and vans, as well as coaches and minibuses covered in logos and company names from mainly the North of Scotland coming to it. The name "Highland Show" suggests it is in the wrong place too, it's nothing to do with the capital city which surely has it's own plethora of attractions? It doesn't need to be in a rural location or even located that far away from Edinburgh, but Ingliston is not really a suitable place these days. It doesn't really matter if they were there first (which they weren't anyway), the fact is the infrastructure around the RHSG doesn't meet the requirements of today. In any case, the people will go to wherever it is, much like any other show. Travelling to a different location once per year is hardly going to put many off.

Anyway, to me it's not really a big deal. I navigate the traffic and manage fine for the day or so when it's in town, but I was thinking more from the actual organisers POV. They could move it to a new purpose built venue in a location that is not affected by already confined spaces and an inadequate road system. The show itself has presumably grown since the 1960s, yet the venue and road network have barely changed. That alone should be cause for them to cash in and built a new, world class facility which will allow an even bigger and better show. Even a glimpse of the show ground from the road to the airport lets one see the contributors appear to have very little space to display their wares.

The idea that the airport should move is ridiculous. You can't honestly think it's a sensible suggestion to move an entire airport and runway and all the other stuff that goes with that to a town which already houses a large petrochemical plant as well as tens of thousands of people. A new showground and exhibition centre is obviously going to be easier to build than an airport and the relocation of the RHSG would allow both to benefit from more space and improved access. The roads are not suitable for either, let alone both.

canberra97
20th Jun 2018, 13:03
They are tourists, not project workers. They are heading to or returning from Europe.

Have you spoken to any of these Chinese tourists whilst you were in Dubai and asked or are you assuming!

The huge amount of Chinese tourists visiting Europe tend to go direct not via the ME3, the Chinese inbound tourism market is huge and what your seeing in Dubai is just a very small percentage of that, it doesn't necessarily mean that most Chinese visitors to Europe stop off in Dubai.

I've just checked my figures for Saturday and I notice that the company I work for has 1253 Chinese passengers embarking over two ships and checking their flight details ALL of them are flying directly to London from China, that doesn't include those disembarking as I don't have those figures yet but I'm assuming the majority will be returning directly back to China with some staying in the UK before returning home but I've yet to come across any that have traveled via Dubai, there's a good example!

inOban
20th Jun 2018, 14:59
In addition to the visitors, many of whom are staying over at least one night, there are also hundreds, if not thousands of people working on site and staying for up to a week. These showgrounds, like exhibition centres, need to be located near accommodation and other facilities. Hence they stopped being itinerant, as they once were, and built a fixed site which offers the possibility of income the rest of the year. There's no business case for a site in the country.

It's no accident that the NEC was built next Birmingham airport and its railway station.

Porrohman
21st Jun 2018, 10:23
According to Wikipedia;

The show first started in 1822, and was located at Edinburgh’s Canongate on a site now occupied by the Scottish Parliament. From this point until 1959 the show moved around the towns and cities of Scotland, in one of the RHASS’s eight electoral areas - Perth, Stirling, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Lothian, Borders, Dumfries & Galloway and Highland. In 1960 the Ingliston (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingliston) site became the permanent home of the show, opening on 21 June 1960. The move to a permanent location has helped the show develop beyond its original remit, to become a celebration of Scottish food, countryside and its farming.

I know, for example, that the show took place in Peebles during the 19th century when most of the visitors and exhibitors travelled there by rail. This required extensive improvements to the local rail infrastructure.

I agree that it would be easier to relocate the showground than the airport but the price the RHAS were demanding was extortionate. As a result, expansion of the airport will focus on the existing land footprint for the foreseeable future. Now that runway 12/30 has been permanently closed, a lot of development land has been freed up.

The road infrastructure definitely needs to be improved and various schemes have been proposed including new routes to the M8, Newbridge and Gogar but nothing has been approved yet. The proposed new development between the airport and Gogar will require a new road but will bring additional traffic so it's doubtful that congestion will reduce.

edi_local
21st Jun 2018, 15:36
The RHSG could have relocated to the land freed up by the closure of 12/30. They could have done some kind of deal with the airport. That's a huge area which would have allowed them to built a purpose built exhibition hall and outdoor space, with plenty of land, much closer to the railway and tram tracks and actually further away from noisy active runways and taxiways. A new road network could have been built too, allowing dedicated roads to lead to the new RHSG for major events via the road that leads down to EDI Cargo and the current roads to be used exclusively for airport traffic with a bit of upgrading. The redevelopment of the current RHSG site could have allowed for a dedicated exit road from Newbridge to the terminal too as well as new spaces for the hotels and various other businesses currently being built around the airport and expected to be built on the new land. That would have freed up space for the current road leading down to the airport to be upgraded for people coming from the city/Gogar.

Sadly though, you are correct, there will be yet more congestion when the new developments start springing up,

Plane mad 134
21st Jun 2018, 16:31
The first jetbridge has been put on the terminal expansion as there is pictures on twitter of it.

edi_local
21st Jun 2018, 17:12
The first jetbridge has been put on the terminal expansion as there is pictures on twitter of it.

Are these brand new or second hand from another airport?

I had heard that the new jetty at CWL was second hand from LHR T1, although how true that is I don't know.

To be honest, EDI could do with new jetties all round, some of them are quite unreliable and tired looking.

canberra97
21st Jun 2018, 17:21
Are these brand new or second hand from another airport?

I had heard that the new jetty at CWL was second hand from LHR T1, although how true that is I don't know.

To be honest, EDI could do with new jetties all round, some of them are quite unreliable and tired looking.

I believe that the 'new' airbridge at Cardiff was purchased from LGW and was originally at the old pier 1 and not purchased from LHR T1.

I was under the impression that Cardiff had purchased two of them from LGW.

The AirBridges at Cardiff are totally different from the usual AirBridges seen at other airports as there not fully extendable and the Brand NEW ones at EDI are similar to those found at LHR T2 and T5.

Although I agree that EDI could do with replacing some of their existing AirBridges and as well as adding more to those gates that don't currently have them.

Heathrow Harry
21st Jun 2018, 17:54
Could be worse.. think Aberdeen..

canberra97
21st Jun 2018, 18:00
Could be worse.. think Aberdeen..

I've always been surprised that Aberdeen hasn't had any AirBridges, I would have thought that the airport could have at least one for BA in particular similar to the single AirBridge at BHD which was originally added for BMI.

Ph1l1pncl
21st Jun 2018, 21:12
Wouldn’t Aberdeen have to added a mezzanine level for jetbridges, as the current set up with the departure gates being on the ground floor makes an airbridge difficult. It’s a shame the new airbridges at Edinburgh won’t be glass ones like at Newcastle and some at Gatwick. It’s always nice to see outside while boarding.

inOban
21st Jun 2018, 23:32
Was today's, rather yesterday's, flight from/to Tbilisi a one-off, or is a specialist operator running a tour programme?

edi_local
22nd Jun 2018, 16:39
Wouldn’t Aberdeen have to added a mezzanine level for jetbridges, as the current set up with the departure gates being on the ground floor makes an airbridge difficult. It’s a shame the new airbridges at Edinburgh won’t be glass ones like at Newcastle and some at Gatwick. It’s always nice to see outside while boarding.

I was kind of hoping for that too. It also helps staff to see from a distance if there is a queue of people on the bridge or not.

I hope they are at least heated/Air Conditioned, but to be honest if the state of the other jetties at EDI is anything to go by, as long as they don't reek of damp and have have litter, rust, rainwater, costa coffee cups, sodden, stinking carpets and filthy walls, they will already be a vast improvement.

canberra97
22nd Jun 2018, 21:15
I was kind of hoping for that too. It also helps staff to see from a distance if there is a queue of people on the bridge or not.

I hope they are at least heated/Air Conditioned, but to be honest if the state of the other jetties at EDI is anything to go by, as long as they don't reek of damp and have have litter, rust, rainwater, costa coffee cups, sodden, stinking carpets and filthy walls, they will already be a vast improvement.

I believe the 'brand new' AirBridges are being supplied by the German manufacturer Thyssen Krupp who are one of the worlds major suppliers of AirBridges and without coming across as being sarcastic of course they will be heated/air conditioned!

nighthawk117
23rd Jun 2018, 15:10

Yes, they would. Currently all of ABZ is on the ground floor - there is no upper floor. You'd need to add a second floor onto the terminal, along with escalators, lifts etc for disabled passengers. That's quite a major investment, and for what gain? A slightly better boarding experience on BA? It's not going to attract any new services to ABZ, so it's just not a worthwhile investment.

Plane mad 134
23rd Jun 2018, 21:42
Not been any route announcements in a while, Does anyone have any route rumours they may have heard or are we nearing capacity at Edinburgh?

A350Saltire
23rd Jun 2018, 22:31
Not been any route announcements in a while, Does anyone have any route rumours they may have heard or are we nearing capacity at Edinburgh?

Delhi is a very strong rumour and is one to watch out for. Also look out for increased Orlando; which is surely not too far down the line.

CraigJay
23rd Jun 2018, 23:38
Delhi is a very strong rumour and is one to watch out for. Also look out for increased Orlando; which is surely not too far down the line.
Delhi has been getting mentioned a lot, still no hint of what airline it might be though.

edi_local
24th Jun 2018, 20:17
Presumably Air India? Unless Indigo are planning to go long haul?

India has always been well served through the ME hubs, so a direct service may steal a large chunk of their customers.

CabinCrewe
24th Jun 2018, 21:22
Indigo are considering long haul (low cost long haul from 2019), Jet Airways and Air India would be the only others but theyve both got major issues.
Cant see any of them in the short term to be honest.
Lets see how Hainan does from the east before getting carried away...

inOban
24th Jun 2018, 21:53
Just been following the Beijing flight as it approached journey's end. Anyone know why it takes such a strange route with several abrupt changes of direction after it crosses into China?
Incidentally the schedule seems very generous. 9h 40. rather than the 10.50 allowed.

Sk1schoolsam
25th Jun 2018, 10:22
Great picture taken yesterday from a helicopter over EDI airport. Confirming the 3 new air bridges are installed, but none looking operational as yet.

https://twitter.com/cjbaps/status/1010849196805632000?s=21

Also gives a clearer idea of the profile of aircraft that can fit each of the stands.

Question- Will they ever replace the “temporary “ building that currently houses Immigration 2 and luggage belt with something more permanent? I.e. Give batter access to the two stands next to Gate 11.

nighthawk117
25th Jun 2018, 10:31
Just been following the Beijing flight as it approached journey's end. Anyone know why it takes such a strange route with several abrupt changes of direction after it crosses into China?
Incidentally the schedule seems very generous. 9h 40. rather than the 10.50 allowed.

Chinese airspace is very restricted, with only a handful of narrow airways in which commercial traffic is permitted - the rest is all reserved for military operations. Most flights over China seem to take a weird routing as a result of this.

Delhi is a very strong rumour and is one to watch out for.

I'd be a little surprised at this to be honest. I always look at what MAN has first before looking at what is possible from EDI. With it's bigger catchment, MAN tends to attract the carriers first, with Scotland normally following a few years later. Take Hainan for example. MAN does not currently have a direct flight to India, although there are rumours of that being added soon. Perhaps it will be a double drop with EDI, but personally I think any Indian carriers looking to expand will do so to MAN before they look to add EDI.

Orlando is certainly a possibility. Virgin hinted they may add more service from EDI - I can see them taking over the Delta flights and maybe adding a flight to Orlando once weekly.

inOban
25th Jun 2018, 10:34
Any confirmed date for the opening of the extension? They're still saying 'this summer' and the peak is the start of the school holidays this weekend.

Suzeman
25th Jun 2018, 19:02
MAN does not currently have a direct flight to India, although there are rumours of that being added soon.

Will have shortly - announced over a month ago

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-mumbai-jet-airways-14673548

Sk1schoolsam
25th Jun 2018, 19:31
Will have shortly - announced over a month ago

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/manchester-airport-mumbai-jet-airways-14673548

Birmingham already has a daily flight to India where as MAN has Islamabad and the ME3 and Singapore and quite a few LH USA.
With both Qatar and Emirates soon to be at EDI I am not sure there is much scope for a direct link to India.

highwideandugly
25th Jun 2018, 20:48
Great aerial photo as above..so sad like many UK airports..more car parking than airport ancillary and operational space?

inOban
25th Jun 2018, 21:10
Chinese airspace is very restricted, with only a handful of narrow airways in which commercial traffic is permitted - the rest is all reserved for military operations. Most flights over China seem to take a weird routing as a result of this.

Thanks, nighthawk.
I wondered if that might be the case, although tonight's Westbound flight took a straightforward route.

jensdad
25th Jun 2018, 21:36
Great aerial photo as above..so sad like many UK airports..more car parking than airport ancillary and operational space?

I think the Royal Highland Show was on when the photo was taken, so all the cars parked to the West of the terminal (beyond the main apron in the photo) are there for that.

EI-A330-300
29th Jun 2018, 12:29
HU have filed the winter schedule, same as summer.

Sk1schoolsam
29th Jun 2018, 12:54
HU have filed the winter schedule, same as summer.

What aircraft type have they chosen, still the 787-8 or back to the A330-300?

sinbad73
29th Jun 2018, 13:56
What aircraft type have they chosen, still the 787-8 or back to the A330-300?

GDS shows 787.

Plane mad 134
30th Jun 2018, 20:19
I see British Airways have a lot of flights this weekend to places i never knew as they weren't on wikipedia or the edinburgh website, Also there was flights to the Isle of Man and Zurich so can someone please confirm what routes are being operated and how many based aircraft there is?
Much appreciated.

inOban
30th Jun 2018, 20:36
A charter flight comes in from Zurich every Saturday and returns on Sunday.
One of the based embraers positions to IOM for a charter from there.
There are also flights to Palma for Barrhead Travel and to Mahon on Saturday, and malaga on Sunday morning for tui.
I'm not sure if the Friday am flight to Palma is on open sale, although it does appear on the airport timetable; otherwise the only 'public' flight is the one to Florence.
I think that's most of them, but I'm sure others will correct me.

CabinCrewe
30th Jun 2018, 21:42
I'm sure others will correct me.
BA2346 BACF is a scheduled flight to PMI every Friday summer only and is available for open booking. Similar Florence on a saturday. No BA mainline, unlike the shortlived IBZ tried a few years back

inOban
30th Jun 2018, 22:17
Thanks. I often wonder why TUI doesn't base a second a/c to enhance their offer to the Spanish Costas, taking over the BA routes, and the space on Ezy to Alicante (and indeed Dubrovnik).

Navpi
1st Jul 2018, 06:58
Any idea on loads re HU ?

Sk1schoolsam
1st Jul 2018, 21:19
Thanks. I often wonder why TUI doesn't base a second a/c to enhance their offer to the Spanish Costas, taking over the BA routes, and the space on Ezy to Alicante (and indeed Dubrovnik).

Agree, thought TUI might have upped the Longhaul in particular this year- does anyone think this a future prostpect? More Orlando or Carabean for example?
Also surprised that Thomas Cook haven’t tried to muscle into the market either. Maybe the Antalya flight is a first step?
Noted all there new/ expansion routes seam to be at Manchester presently.

Plane mad 134
3rd Jul 2018, 10:48
The terminal extension was completed a few days ago and I was wondering what the next stage of the expansion plan will be. I have the masterplan so I would think it might be extra off terminal stands or rapid exit taxiways, Does anyone know otherwise what it may be?

habs_fan
3rd Jul 2018, 15:17
its anything but finished

inOban
3rd Jul 2018, 15:32
I thought it was just the international arrivals which was opened. Still, they seem be able to deliver projects faster than some other airports.

VickersVicount
3rd Jul 2018, 17:44
were the QR load percentaged (on paper anyway) dire again for May?
One wonders why A350 put on when a 787 half empty. The general public wont get any promo publicised adverts for the Airbus I wouldnt have thoughtif that was the ploy. Yikes, just wait til EK start, Ramadan or not...😯

CraigJay
3rd Jul 2018, 17:58
One wonders why A350 put on when a 787 half empty. The general public wont get any promo publicised adverts for the Airbus I wouldnt have thoughtif that was the ploy. Yikes, just wait til EK start, Ramadan or not...😯

The business class on the 787 was often full hence the upgrade, the flight does really well with cargo too. Economy passengers are just a bonus.

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Jul 2018, 08:10
Economy passengers are just a bonus.
They're 87% of the capacity of a B787-8, i.e. the overwhelming majority of the traffic, the route needs as much of that cabin filled as possible, it's the cargo that's the bonus.

ATNotts
4th Jul 2018, 08:33
They're 87% of the capacity of a B787-8, i.e. the overwhelming majority of the traffic, the route needs as much of that cabin filled as possible, it's the cargo that's the bonus.

Indeed, per kg cargo pays much less than PAX - mind you it doesn't whinge and moan if the aircraft is late, or the hold shabby and doesn't expect IFE, WIFI and a decent meal thrown in for nothing!!!!!

Heathrow Harry
4th Jul 2018, 17:54
on longhaul the rule of thumb is that Business pays for the flight, First pays for the bonuses & economy pays the shareholders

edi_local
4th Jul 2018, 18:53
One wonders why A350 put on when a 787 half empty. The general public wont get any promo publicised adverts for the Airbus I wouldnt have thoughtif that was the ploy. Yikes, just wait til EK start, Ramadan or not...��

May is not holiday season and Ramadan does play a significant role in reducing traffic to/from the ME.

But that aside, the 350 has had loads exceeding the 788 every day, in both cabins, both ways, since it was introduced on Sunday, so clearly they made the right choice.

Promotional adverts have been placed all over Edinburgh, the airport, local print media and in Glasgow too, so not sure what you're getting at. The route is obviously doing well, apparently that upsets some people greatly and they seemingly can't wait for the demise of QR EDI. Pathetic.

Plane mad 134
4th Jul 2018, 20:52
Im happy to hear Qatar are doing well, long may it continue and hopefully Emirates will do well as well.

Plane mad 134
5th Jul 2018, 21:31
Hi I was just wondering how many based aircraft there are by each airline that has a base at EDI and where you can find the information. Also how do you find load factors so I can anwser these types of questions in the future. Many thanks.

4eyed anorak
9th Jul 2018, 13:22
Inaugural filght of the Turkish 737max delayed till the 3rd August which will now be to Edinburgh.#

Regards 4ea

inOban
11th Jul 2018, 11:23
June data out +6.7% overall (10.9% on international)

BTW both the Friday am PMI and Saturday Florence flights from BA Cityflyer are loaded for S19. And Vueling BCN will be daily in peak season.

But neither Iberia express or Transavia have yet loaded any S19 flights, and I've no idea whether Norwegian will return to BCN or TFS.

Sk1schoolsam
11th Jul 2018, 22:00
Norwegian seam to have loaded some S19 flights now with Barcelona 6 days per week x Sat but TFS cut to 1 per week on a Sunday? Wieird I have flown wthat route with them a few times and it’s always full. Wonder if that is using metal out of Edinburgh and not based in Tenerife?

inOban
12th Jul 2018, 13:06
I can't find direct flights matching your schedule. The only direct flights loaded for S19 are to Stockholm and Copenhagen.

Sk1schoolsam
12th Jul 2018, 15:00
I can't find direct flights matching your schedule. The only direct flights loaded for S19 are to Stockholm and Copenhagen.

Sorry you are correct I had not searched using the “direct flight” option, nothing loaded for direct flights. Why the cut back? What are their load factors like this year?

Plane mad 134
13th Jul 2018, 14:28
Has there been any news on any new routes or frequency increases? Also Norwegian still not bookable to Barcelona and Tenerife.

inOban
13th Jul 2018, 14:54
Easyjet don't release summer schedules until October, Norwegian no sooner than that. Pure holiday companies release schedules early because they hope that happy customers will immediately sign up for next year.

Plane mad 134
18th Jul 2018, 11:06
This thread has became very quiet is there anything that is worth posting from the past week?

Callum Paterson
18th Jul 2018, 12:37
What more are you expecting? EDI has already announced more than its fair share or new services for the coming winter.

You can't expect new routes to be added on a daily bases...

CabinCrewe
19th Jul 2018, 16:38
Cityline LH MUC twice weekly winter
https://airlinegeeks.com/2018/07/19/lufthansa-announces-six-new-tourist-destinations-for-upcoming-winter-season/

inOban
19th Jul 2018, 16:46
Will this be in addition to, or instead of, the Eurowings flights?

EIFFS
20th Jul 2018, 07:19
Sorry you are correct I had not searched using the “direct flight” option, nothing loaded for direct flights. Why the cut back? What are their load factors like this year?

Way early for Norwegian to have loaded next years full program, some of this summers LGW didn’t get loaded until Feb

Sk1schoolsam
20th Jul 2018, 08:46
Will this be in addition to, or instead of, the Eurowings flights?

Looks like an additional service as Eurowinfs don’t fly to Munich on Sat or Tues, and are maintaining a 4 day a week service in W18.

Plane mad 134
20th Jul 2018, 09:08
I have just asked if the service will be in addition to the Eurowings or not and both Edinburgh airport and Lufthansa have said this service is not planned?

Sk1schoolsam
20th Jul 2018, 10:44
I have just asked if the service will be in addition to the Eurowings or not and both Edinburgh airport and Lufthansa have said this service is not planned?

Fake news/ rumour??

Plane mad 134
20th Jul 2018, 12:30
I've just found out from Lufthansa that it is confirmed on twitter flights begin 1st of December.

Sk1schoolsam
20th Jul 2018, 14:09
I've just found out from Lufthansa that it is confirmed on twitter flights begin 1st of December.

Cheers @Plane mad

Curious why the additional flights are with LH CityLine and not existing Eurowings.
Possible longer term shift?
Are the GLA flights not all LH CityLine already form launch?

sinbad73
20th Jul 2018, 15:05
Cheers @Plane mad

Curious why the additional flights are with LH CityLine and not existing Eurowings.
Possible longer term shift?
Are the GLA flights not all LH CityLine already form launch?

GLA-MUC is mainline however a few of the flights have been operated by EN (Air Dolomiti).

Plane mad 134
21st Jul 2018, 15:34
Does anyone know what is happening with Norwegians summer timetable next year as it seems they have uploaded their Shannon timetable?

Callum Paterson
21st Jul 2018, 16:56
It'll be on sale when it's on sale. Just wait. Check the Norwegian website every few hours if it really excites you that much.

Do we really need posts here on a daily bases asking when flights are going on sale or when new routes will be added? I think not.

toledoashley
21st Jul 2018, 17:06
Does anyone know what is happening with Norwegians summer timetable next year as it seems they have uploaded their Shannon timetable?

They launched Ireland only over the last few days - London/Scotland to follow.

willy wombat
22nd Jul 2018, 09:06
Yes, I do think some of the posts in this thread should really be in the "spotters" forum (nothing wrong with spotters - I was one from about 12 to 16 years old and went on to have a long career I the airline industry).

CabinCrewe
22nd Jul 2018, 10:44
why would you ask about route release on the spotters thread?
If you dont like them just dont read them or waste energy replying.
its only people checking this thread on a "daily bases' (sic) that seem to be getting alarmed at lack of news and frustration with other posters.

Skipness One Foxtrot
22nd Jul 2018, 17:18
Is there a plan to expand check-in or build a second facility like Glasgow? It is a decidedly sub-par experience now summer’s here, queues going all ways and a lot of angry frustrated people (and staff).

edinv
23rd Jul 2018, 09:11
Munich – Edinburgh eff 01DEC18 2 weekly (reservation available soon) * info from routes online 23Jul18
LH2580 MUC1000 – 1120EDI 319 26
LH2581 EDI1225 – 1530MUC 319 26

Plane mad 134
23rd Jul 2018, 14:50
Edinburgh confirmed a few days ago on twitter that the new baggage belt number 7 was open and fully operational.

inOban
25th Jul 2018, 12:57
The Munich flight has now been announced on a press release. Seems to be Dec1 to March 30 as a winter break flight. Christmas markets? Skiing in the German Alps?

willy wombat
25th Jul 2018, 14:51
Arrived at EDI yesterday on EZY from LGW. Bit cheap skate of EDI to only put an outbound travelator in the new pier. It’s a long walk in from stand 25!

Skipness One Foxtrot
25th Jul 2018, 16:51
Were you bussed as well? It’s the new norm. Landed last Fri evening and taxied past the empty and available BA airbridges on 9 and 10 to park and bus a 763 worth of pax from 211 on cargo into the SE pier followed by the epic trek to arrivals.
All cos BA are too tight to resource Menzies a tow off later.....

willy wombat
25th Jul 2018, 17:13
Not bussed but would have preferred it to the walk across ramp, across a road and then the long hike down the new pier. When you look around you at EDI and LGW it’s evident that they have the same ownership.