PDA

View Full Version : Belfast International-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

BFS watcher
4th Feb 2019, 19:15
interesting difference in treatment by the BBC compared to a similar incident at BHD last year.
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/belfast-flight-delayed-due-drunk-15190934

BFS has an on-site police force, BHD has none.....yet an ex senior peeler slags off BFS and the airport police on Nolan for dealing with an incident quickly and faster than any incident in any part of NI night or day. Whatever happened to balance and good journalism.

NWSRG
4th Feb 2019, 20:12
Per a Virgin source we're meant to get A350s at Belfast from 2020, perhaps they'll phase them in with the A330s covering the gaps.

Last year of the 744s then... :(

NorthernCounties
5th Feb 2019, 19:22
Last time i was at the airport it did seem a bit of a mess alright, contractors everywer, plus a reopening starbucks, hopefully an upward trend will start.

A Star-what-now? With this kind of american investment, the only way is up! What next? A Wetherspoons? On another note, is it tiring being so bitter, especially when you see how well the South is doing since Independence, and how far the North has fallen? Can you believe at the turn of the 20th century, the North was the 8th richest region per capita in the world... lol!!!

owenc
5th Feb 2019, 20:55
Don't bring politics into this aviation thread, it's unrelated, and you're bound to have a conflict with those of us are Unionists, so best to stop now. Especially after having ran down Northern Ireland, as an outsider.

West Brit
5th Feb 2019, 21:09
Can you believe at the turn of the 20th century, the North was the 8th richest region per capita in the world... lol

So what? Britain powered the world at that time. Let me guess Lanarkshire was the 5th richest region.....
After leaving the UK the Republic was a poor country until it joined another empire which pumped £££££s into. So in the last 100 years it has been successful for about 20 years.Watch what you say. Pride before a fall springs to mind.

mart901
5th Feb 2019, 21:11
the North ?

El Bunto
6th Feb 2019, 09:49
Bear in mind that much of Ireland's reported GDP is contingent on its status as a tax haven; many huge multinationals book revenue in Ireland, but don't contribute significantly to tax receipts. The fiscal budget is in fact in deficit, funded by debt.

When you instead look at household income, which is more significant for air travel discussions, NI is on par with most of Ireland other than Dublin and Cork and is well ahead of Donegal, the poorest region of the island. That's the region that has water rationing in summer to send it south to the rich houses, after all...

PPRuNeUser0176
6th Feb 2019, 10:21
Bear in mind that much of Ireland's reported GDP is contingent on its status as a tax haven; many huge multinationals book revenue in Ireland, but don't contribute significantly to tax receipts. The fiscal budget is in fact in deficit, funded by debt.

When you instead look at household income, which is more significant for air travel discussions, NI is on par with most of Ireland other than Dublin and Cork and is well ahead of Donegal, the poorest region of the island. That's the region that has water rationing in summer to send it south to the rich houses, after all...

Fiscal budget is now a surplus. As for the tax haven aren’t NI trying to copy us!

owenc
6th Feb 2019, 14:12
Sorry, was just saying. Let's get back into our Belfast discussion away from Politics.

NorthernCounties
6th Feb 2019, 18:35
Don't bring politics into this aviation thread, it's unrelated, and you're bound to have a conflict with those of us are Unionists, so best to stop now. Especially after having ran down Northern Ireland, as an outsider.

Would my username suggest I'm an outsider?

cuthere
6th Feb 2019, 18:49

Don’t bring politics into it says man who brings politics into it. Also, Northern Counties, you ran down Northern Ireland. How long did it take and what route did you use?

Anyway. Used Aldergrove earlier today and was through security in less than five minutes. Most efficient it’s been for a while in my experience.

NorthernCounties
6th Feb 2019, 19:09
Don’t bring politics into it says man who brings politics into it. Also, Northern Counties, you ran down Northern Ireland. How long did it take and what route did you use?

Anyway. Used Aldergrove earlier today and was through security in less than five minutes. Most efficient it’s been for a while in my experience.

I followed the A5, nearly got run over a couple of times mind...:*

Copenhagen
6th Feb 2019, 21:56
Can you believe at the turn of the 20th century, the North was the 8th richest region per capita in the world... lol

So what? Britain powered the world at that time. Let me guess Lanarkshire was the 5th richest region.....
After leaving the UK the Republic was a poor country until it joined another empire which pumped £££££s into. So in the last 100 years, it has been successful for about 20 years.Watch what you say. Pride before a fall springs to mind.

Be careful. Northern Ireland can't be throwing stones on this subject, We live in an economic black hole.

London government subsidies us all by nearly 6k per person per year,
A quarter of the NI GDP is a subsidy from London!
30% of the workforce works for the government...

And with all of that 'investment', NI still has terrible roads, invisible railways, piss poor airports, - shall I go on?

Una Due Tfc
7th Feb 2019, 01:14
Be careful. Northern Ireland can't be throwing stones on this subject, We live in an economic black hole.

London government subsidies us all by nearly 6k per person per year,
A quarter of the NI GDP is a subsidy from London!
30% of the workforce works for the government...
And with all of that 'investment', NI still has terrible roads, invisible railways, piss poor airports, - shall I go on?

Westminster subsidises the NI civil service by £13.5 billion a year. There might be red buses driving around England about that next. You’d think that would put enough in folks pockets to sustain a scheduled long haul route or 2. On the plus side after Brexit those United subsidies won’t be illegal anymore. Maybe they’ll come back.

As I’ve said before BFS’ best bet going east is Turkish airlines on a narrowbody once they’ve settled in to their new home in my opinion, but there’s all sorts of delays with that so that could be a couple of years off yet. I’d have though QR was unlikely given their smaller route network making relatively niche airports like BFS a harder sell but they surprised everyone when they launched Cardiff so who knows. They do have A321LRs on order.

BFS BHD
9th Feb 2019, 15:39
As I’ve said before BFS’ best bet going east is Turkish airlines on a narrowbody once they’ve settled in to their new home in my opinion, but there’s all sorts of delays with that so that could be a couple of years off yet. I’d have though QR was unlikely given their smaller route network making relatively niche airports like BFS a harder sell but they surprised everyone when they launched Cardiff so who knows. They do have A321LRs on order.

What about FlyDubai with their MAX aircraft. Could the MAX reach here from Dubai? Or is FlyDubai not looking for flights this far? Could then use Emirates from Dubai to Australia etc

Copenhagen
9th Feb 2019, 21:01
What about FlyDubai with their MAX aircraft. Could the MAX reach here from Dubai? Or is FlyDubai not looking for flights this far? Could then use Emirates from Dubai to Australia etc

Its nearly 1k nm longer than their current longest route and one hell of a long sector on a 737.

BFS BHD
14th Feb 2019, 11:37
Is Ryanair ending Warsaw Modlin from the end of August? Not bookable after 31st August.

GAZMO
14th Feb 2019, 11:51
Would be disappointing if they do, numbers seemed to be quite good on the route. Maybe the influence of Brexit!!

EGAC is Better
14th Feb 2019, 19:51
Would be disappointing if they do, numbers seemed to be quite good on the route. Maybe the influence of Brexit!!

I’ll go on the side of absolutely nothing to do with Brexit.

More likely to be acting on their threat to withdraw services and jobs from Warsaw if the Government owned company (who own both Modlin and Chopin) didn’t invest in Modlin and stop showing favouritism towards Chopin and the government owned LOT Polish Airlines.

See article below which covers their referral of the matter to EU competition commission.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ryanair-poland-competition/ryanair-complains-to-eu-competition-authorities-over-poland-idUSKBN1F90IF

GAZMO
15th Feb 2019, 08:52
Topflight put holidays to Sorentto from BFS on sale

https://nitravelnews.com/news/sorrento-direct-from-belfast-for-summer-2019/

Will they charter or use LS or EZY flights to Naples??

True Blue
15th Feb 2019, 09:09
if you check on their website, Jet2

BFS BHD
15th Feb 2019, 18:58
Making the announcement, Travel Solutions Managing Director, Peter McMinn, said: “The number of skiers travelling to Bulgaria is growing each year and the introduction of a Sofia flight is the natural progression to ensure our customers benefit from great value and the convenience of shorter transfer times to resort.”

He continued: “Our Plovdiv flight is ideal for Pamporovo, with a transfer of only 75kms, and with the introduction of this new Sofia flight, the resort of Borovets has a transfer of only 71kms and Bulgaria’s largest resort of Bansko only 160kms.”

Highlighting the benefits of Bulgaria as a ski destination, Peter said: “The Balkan ski resorts continue to offer the best value skiing in Europe with prices starting from an amazing £639 per person, including the cost of your ski pack. In addition, once you are in resort the cost of a meal is often cheaper than the price of a drink in many of the expensive ski resorts in other countries. Our ski instructors are some of the best and are ideal for those holidaymakers who are beginners or immediate skiers and looking to advance their skills.”

Travel Solutions Belfast to Sofia ski charter will operate every Saturday from 28th December 2019 until the 7th March 2020 with a convenient early afternoon departure from Belfast International. The service will be operated on behalf of Travel Solutions by award winning Jet2.com.

https://nitravelnews.com/news/local-tour-operator-announce-new-bulgaria-ski-flight%e2%80%a8/

jamessh
17th Feb 2019, 12:58
Does anyone see transatlantic flights making a return? It seems we haven’t had a good lot since Zoom and United a few years ago... They made a good combination with one low fares and the other full service.

mart901
17th Feb 2019, 14:59
Does anyone see transatlantic flights making a return? It seems we haven’t had a good lot since Zoom and United a few years ago... They made a good combination with one low fares and the other full service.
Personally not at the moment, I think Norwegian we're the last best hope

rog747
17th Feb 2019, 15:03
Its nearly 1k nm longer than their current longest route and one hell of a long sector on a 737.

From my past experience a 757-200 could do BAH or DXB to/from LGW non stop with around 200 or so holiday pax - I was at MON/OM and at AE we used to do it as a tech stop from/to Maldives Colombo Phuket Goa Agra or Kerala
Orlando-BFS was OK for a 757 non-stop

DXB-BFS would be too much for a 757-200 with any reasonable payload
as for a 737NG or MAX - erm nope - maybe half empty
an A321Neo/LR - I need to see the sums - maybe...

As for BFS Transatlantic - well you had Primera was to have a go...

El Bunto
20th Feb 2019, 09:43
Saw the ASL TNT freighter coming in this morning which made me ponder the post-Brexit courier ops, since they operate domestically to & from East Midlands as tag-ons from their Continental bases:

ASL for TNT: EI- or OE-reg
Star Air for UPS: OY-reg
Swiftair for Fed Ex: EC-reg, based Belfast
Eurotrans for DHL: D-reg
West Atlantic for Royal Mail: SE-reg

wheelbarrow
20th Feb 2019, 13:34
Bunto
The ASL for TNT commences in BFS ends in BFS. Wont be any changes.
Swiftair have an exciting "trick up their sleeve".
Eurotrans /DHL/ DP can also be EI reg as ASL operate also for Dhl in Dhl colours Airbus 306 and Airbus 330.

El Bunto
20th Feb 2019, 15:12
The Swiftair trick will be interesting :)

Doesn't the ASL for TNT originate in Liege? Doesn't night-stop any more in Belfast even at weekends.

Ta!

BFS BHD
21st Feb 2019, 15:50
Just seen this on the airports twitter page

work is currently underway to expand Central Search for additional machines which will be open in the coming months.

owenc
21st Feb 2019, 15:59
Central Search is what? I don’t see this on their Twitter

BFS BHD
21st Feb 2019, 16:06
Security Search Area and it was a reply to someone so you have to select 'With Replies'!

owenc
21st Feb 2019, 17:19
Security Search Area and it was a reply to someone so you have to select 'With Replies'!
so an expansion then?

cuthere
21st Feb 2019, 17:32
No, they’re making it smaller and adding a Supermacs for all the Southerners who use BFS

BFS BHD
23rd Feb 2019, 21:46
Guessing easyJet isn't launching any new routes now for Summer 2019 or Prague isn't going to be year round?

buzz_hornet
23rd Feb 2019, 22:00
Guessing easyJet isn't launching any new routes now for Summer 2019 or Prague isn't going to be year round?

Did they not say they'd reached their capacity at BFS

owenc
26th Feb 2019, 17:04
On FB, it is mentioned that the Security search area will expand to 8 lanes? Will that be enough to fill peak demand?

buzz_hornet
26th Feb 2019, 19:33
On FB, it is mentioned that the Security search area will expand to 8 lanes? Will that be enough to fill peak demand?

Not if all 8 are not open

owenc
26th Feb 2019, 19:47
Yeah, I was just thinking that they usually don’t open most of the lanes.

GE115b
27th Feb 2019, 11:14
Central Search is what? I don’t see this on their Twitter

Their initiative leaves a lot to be desired.

GAZMO
27th Feb 2019, 14:10
From BBC website

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47384720

GAZMO
27th Feb 2019, 18:55
From Ryanair thread Warsaw cancelled from end of August as ryanair removing two planes

mariofly12
27th Feb 2019, 20:12
Maybe Wizzair will consider a WAW-BFS?

MaverickPrime
27th Feb 2019, 21:21
Do you mean FR are pulling out of BFS?

True Blue
27th Feb 2019, 22:40
No they are not

El Bunto
1st Mar 2019, 07:03
Cat IIIB approaches for the freighters earlier this morning, really thick muck.

GAZMO
3rd Mar 2019, 13:54
CAA stats out for Jan 19

up + 8.4 %

6,3104,95 pax rolling total

GAZMO
6th Mar 2019, 11:20
Full Stats out for 2018

Key domestic routes
BHX +12%
EDI +15%
GLA +12%
JER +2%
LPL +2%
MAN +40%
NCL +4%
STN +80%
LGW -40%

Key international routes
BOD +40%
CDG +17%
AMS +7%
FAO +13%
AGP +5%
BCN -13%
BGY +3%
ALC +7%
VNO +20%
KRK +2%
KEF +4%

Back dated cargo figures

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Data_and_analysis/Datasets/Airport_stats/Airport_data_2018_annual/Table_13_Freight_by_Type_and_Nationality.pdf

BFS BHD
6th Mar 2019, 18:16
I see on the Manchester Airport thread that easyJet is adding three extra flights weekly from Belfast International to Manchester for Summer 2019. One on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

El Bunto
7th Mar 2019, 07:45
Back dated cargo figures

https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Data_and_analysis/Datasets/Airport_stats/Airport_data_2018_annual/Table_13_Freight_by_Type_and_Nationality.pdf

I assume by 'charter' the CAA in that document actually mean 'scheduled non-passenger' since 99% of freight flights into International are scheduled. Very rarely does a chartered freighter pass through, a few An-12s and a Tu-204 last year.

EGAC is Better
7th Mar 2019, 08:05
Noted with interest that Qatar Airways announced 7 new routes yesterday. One of which, Davao in the Phillipines is only once a week (will increase to 3 per week) due to aircraft shortages.

I’m guessing this puts a bit of a dent in some of the undertones here that QR may have been considering Belfast in the short term. Once a week is a bit of a gamble and you’d think that if BFS stood any chance, it might have fared well when considered against some of these new B787 routes.

PDXCWL45
7th Mar 2019, 08:22
Noted with interest that Qatar Airways announced 7 new routes yesterday. One of which, Davao in the Phillipines is only once a week (will increase to 3 per week) due to aircraft shortages.

I’m guessing this puts a bit of a dent in some of the undertones here that QR may have been considering Belfast in the short term. Once a week is a bit of a gamble and you’d think that if BFS stood any chance, it might have fared well when considered against some of these new B787 routes.
They are due to announce more routes in a few months time apparently.

Blakedean
7th Mar 2019, 11:13
Haha, when I read QR will announce more destinations soon I automatically thought of the BFS fanboys getting their hopes up.

owenc
7th Mar 2019, 11:25
Yeah pity Belfast would ever have good news. Would break your cast iron heart Blake.

Startledgrapefruit
7th Mar 2019, 15:10
I hear toys pram and APD rumours !!
and a 50% reduction for Ryanair

GAZMO
7th Mar 2019, 16:47
Bad news from Ryanair

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47481843

BFS101
7th Mar 2019, 16:49
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47481843

Dropping all Polish routes, with exception of Krakow; and Malta. And I’m seeing MAN and STN at only 2 flights per week!!

MaverickPrime
7th Mar 2019, 16:55
Without looking into it in much detail I can hazard a guess as to why Davao is being increased; the Philippines has a huge migrant work force and most of the blue collar jobs in the ME are worked by filipinos.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th Mar 2019, 17:07
Sounds to me like whatever deal they came to Belfast has expired.

Both EZY and FR failed on Malta. Might not need extra security lanes after all.

panpanpanpan
7th Mar 2019, 17:34
I must admit I find it surprising they're reducing the STN. I thought it has always been a strong performer but maybe not enough for MOL!

I think EIEIDW has it about right, the cut price deal has ended and there are other areas where more cash can be made. Was this not similar to the way they behaved with Harbour? Stay for a while then huff and puff, blame something for them leaving and within a few weeks they're gone. It must be difficult for any airport to build a business around Ryanair, how on earth could you make any long term infrastructure plans and budgets knowing that these guys will simply disappear at any stage? I'm sure Easyjet will be glad to see them go, it was bound to be eating into their margins while they were thee.

Maybe they'll get a new deal back at Harbour and make an appearance there again for a few seasons!

Must get the popcorn ready. I'm sure the BFS management are drafting a statement now regrading the reduction. Something along the lines of -"We are glad to see the back of these moronic a$$holes, they were just cluttering the ramp and making our security busy." Hopefully this time someone will actually proof read the statement BEFORE releasing it??;)

El Bunto
7th Mar 2019, 17:46
Yet airports keep lining-up with special sweetners to attract Ryanair, hoping "they'll be the one".

It'd be refreshing to see the Belfast management tell Ryanair to just clear out entirely for Winter 2019. If APD is such a handicap for them then surely there's no point operating any services.,..?

Alteagod
7th Mar 2019, 18:30
Surely inevitable knowing Ryanairs history.

Startledgrapefruit
7th Mar 2019, 18:37
Don't think BHD management would take them back
Too much investment for little return.
I am sure one of the Killead three will have a spin on this .

owenc
7th Mar 2019, 18:51
Stansted is definitely a profitable and popular route. Twice a week for an airport like Belfast?

That’s a laugh.

panpanpanpan
7th Mar 2019, 18:54
Don't think BHD management would take them back
Too much investment for little return.
I am sure one of the Killead three will have a spin on this .

I'm not so sure, if I remember when Ryanair left they blamed the Stormont government for not having the guts to make a decision on the proposed runway extension. If I remember it was approved then denied and the whole process was a complete shambles. Harbour then, unwisely in my opinion, decided not to proceed with runway expansion despite having paid thousands for consultants etc. I remember MOL speaking very positively about BA and his efforts and squarely blaming incompetent politicians.

In the meantime they have indeed invested heavily despite flights and passengers decreasing. The terminal and security is smart and slick, departures has been completely revamped with millions spent. They just need a few more people to actually use it! There wouldn't need to be any further investment for any new airline.

Who's the Killead three?:confused:

mwm991
7th Mar 2019, 19:25
Stansted is definitely a profitable and popular route. Twice a week for an airport like Belfast?

That’s a laugh.

And nothing at all to STN from GLA. Ryanair have shown in the past they are prepared to cut routes, frequencies and close bases in order to get what they want, even at the expense of losing money in the short term.

owenc
7th Mar 2019, 22:10
And nothing at all to STN from GLA. Ryanair have shown in the past they are prepared to cut routes, frequencies and close bases in order to get what they want, even at the expense of losing money in the short term.
The DUP tried to persuade the government to cut APD. The government came out and said that there would be no cuts for the foreseeable future. So there will be no reductions for Ryanair to wait for.

MaverickPrime
8th Mar 2019, 09:34
Let’s face it, Ryanair are a hugely successful organisation, in contrast BIA or the NI assembly are not. FR don’t suffer fools and I couldn’t blame them. I do feel sorry for the crews based at BFS who may be forced to relocate.

Startledgrapefruit
8th Mar 2019, 11:28
Who's the Killead three?:confused:[/QUOTE]

Refuelerman
DC9-10
And
BFSWatcher

panpanpanpan
8th Mar 2019, 11:41
Ah right. You sure that isn't just the same person with different profiles? Certainly DC9 and the refueller bloke have the same writing style and errors. :E

cuthere
8th Mar 2019, 11:45
Nah, DC9 is the reincarnation of Mutley shriek who used to haunt these forums some years ago. Have a search for their posts. If I ever need cheering up, I have a quick refresh of those (and the identical content as DC9).

GAZMO
8th Mar 2019, 11:52
Still think FR in the process of finalising winter 19/20

From looking at the proposal for flights

Monday KRK and ALC
Tuesday Nothing
Wednesday BGY and ALC
Thursday SXF and AGP
Friday KRK, ALC, MAN and STN !!!
Saturday BGY and AGP
Sunday SXF, AGP MAN STN !!!.....KRK being covered by KRK based aircraft

If I have got it wrong Im sure a poster will correct me

midfieldgeneral
8th Mar 2019, 11:56
So that's just one aircraft based then by the sounds of it with that schedule.

am2018
8th Mar 2019, 13:58
Has TFS and ACE been cut?

BFS101
8th Mar 2019, 14:48
Is there any likelihood that some flights are still to be loaded? Honestly can't believe the STN cuts, especially as STN is pretty much fortress FR; and was handy for good value self connections across Europe. Now I know FR like to spin, but with EZY doing many domestic flights from BFS with double APD, yet they 'seem' to be coping. Is it because they had an established traveller base in NI?? I'd have hoped FR could have at least kept STN, over MAN, even if it was at EZY's expense. With yields possibly trashed to STN, was it a case that FR blinked first??

I wonder will these cuts be indicative of summer 2020, or possibly healthy demand from BFS during summer schedule, just rubbish through the winter?

West Brit
8th Mar 2019, 15:25
Because of the maverick approach by Ryanair, I would swim before flying with them. Would never trust them to fly me on a holiday. Frankly it's an additional stress that one does not require.
On a seperate note, they keep banging on about abolishing APD, if it ever was they would still find another way of causing chaos, whether with airports or more importantly traveller's plans.

racedo
8th Mar 2019, 16:03
Still think FR in the process of finalising winter 19/20

From looking at the proposal for flights

Monday KRK and ALC
Tuesday Nothing
Wednesday BGY and ALC
Thursday SXF and AGP
Friday KRK, ALC, MAN and STN !!!
Saturday BGY and AGP
Sunday SXF, AGP MAN STN !!!.....KRK being covered by KRK based aircraft

If I have got it wrong Im sure a poster will correct me

Not sure as 3 Polish destinations, Wroclaw, Gdansk and Modlin not bookable, one beyond Aug, other 2 beyond Oct.

Friends use Wroclaw - BFS on occasions and have never had a full plane even at Christmas and fares are low. They go close to Katowice and say KTW / KRK are the easiest airports but they say 1 extra hour and Wro is usable with fares 25% of the other 2, when 5 of them it makes a huge difference plus with less than full planes they never buy seats and take pot luck in sitting together and say they have never failed.

snn20
8th Mar 2019, 18:30
Simple, BFS isn’t giving them the rock bottom deal that they want. BFS will run back to them in a few months time and all willl be good and a big massive expansion and then over time it’ll be chopped and churned. Unfortunately we know about it all too well in Shannon

Startledgrapefruit
8th Mar 2019, 18:55
Simple, BFS isn’t giving them the rock bottom deal that they want. BFS will run back to them in a few months time and all willl be good and a big massive expansion and then over time it’ll be chopped and churned. Unfortunately we know about it all too well in Shannon

Or maybe just run now !

owenc
8th Mar 2019, 19:27
Why do they not pull out of dublin then?

Startledgrapefruit
8th Mar 2019, 19:47
Why do they not pull out of dublin then?
Because they build up a following at BFS then pull out
They work on the basis 45-50% follow them down to DUB and they go on about APD and say how cheap Dublin is,even though it's not. One big base with lower costs and more passengers.....maybe.

mart901
8th Mar 2019, 20:58
I'm told, fairly reliablly FR have struggled up against a very popular and well established EZY, same as EI. From what I'm hearing FR could only fill aircraft at a loss, and domestic doesn't really lend well to lots of ancillary revenue Its all a bit reminiscent of BHD some years ago, only not so crazy domestic wise

Looking at what's left its very similar to LS really, heavily driven on sunshine and an odd city route.

True Blue
8th Mar 2019, 21:27
Well you do wonder why they go up against Ezy on domestics when there are 2 routes out of Bfs with no competition, Ema and Lba. Why did they not try those instead of Man? I know these routes operate out of Bhd before someone tells me.

KNT544
9th Mar 2019, 02:11
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1137x139/screenshot_2019_03_07_20_15_09_0b16f5e75e09798b6cf65ef7ed146 cb22366d16d.png
How the hell they could consider these prices would work given that for every seat sold they pay £13 in APD?

owenc
9th Mar 2019, 02:49
Well I just paid £110 for a return flight. So they can rise to £300 +.

sealink
9th Mar 2019, 08:45
the answer to this has probably been written somewhere but how many a/c do FR currently base at BFS and how many after the flight reduction? The BFS crew are lovely people. Use the BGY route a lot and always had on time service with friendly crew.

Alteagod
9th Mar 2019, 10:26
Maybe they will do CAX to compete with Loganair lol

El Bunto
9th Mar 2019, 10:40
Those £4.99 fares are just teasers they throw in occasionally. There's another tier around £15 but most Stansted fares are £30+ one way.

KNT544
9th Mar 2019, 12:07
Those £4.99 fares are just teasers they throw in occasionally. There's another tier around £15 but most Stansted fares are £30+ one way.
They may be teasers but c'mon. These are flights going in a few days and they can barely give them away.

West Brit
9th Mar 2019, 13:38
Ezy announced extra flights to MAN, did they know about the announcement before it was officially released? Or were they gaining the upper hand?

SealinkBF
9th Mar 2019, 13:50
Well you do wonder why they go up against Ezy on domestics when there are 2 routes out of Bfs with no competition, Ema and Lba. Why did they not try those instead of Man? I know these routes operate out of Bhd before someone tells me.

Indeed. Maybe they are learning that given the direct choice between FR and another low cost airline, people will pick the nicer airline. In this case EZY.

panpanpanpan
9th Mar 2019, 14:29
I'm like many others here, I've used Ryanair before and had no hassles but I've also been absolutely stitched up by them cancelling flights and making life difficult. Would I book a long way ahead trusting them to still be on the route? Absolutely not. If I have another choice that is broadly similar in price, would I pay the extra or go for the cheapest? If its close I'll take the other airline every time.

I'm sure there are hundreds like me. Factor in the new Ryanair hand luggage policy and its rare to get a cheap seat in reality. I will use Ryanair, but only as an airline of last resort. Having said all that I'm still surprised they're effectively binning STN, who is going to book a flight that only operates 2 days per week though? Very strange, you would have thought they would simply pull the plug completely.

Startledgrapefruit
9th Mar 2019, 16:19
Wonder if it has a contract to operate services but can't get out of it and then once it is done they are gone ?

flybeboy
9th Mar 2019, 17:54
The cavok an-12 seams to come in a lot from algeria, how its ops for and whats it carrying, quite regular flight.

BFS BHD
9th Mar 2019, 19:44
The cavok an-12 seams to come in a lot from algeria, how its ops for and whats it carrying, quite regular flight.

Aircraft seats

El Bunto
9th Mar 2019, 19:50
Aircraft seats

.. to Charleston, for these guys

Thompson Aero | Intelligent Design (http://www.thompsonaero.com/)

Not really 'seats' as you and I know them, more those cubicles for the front-end of the cabin.

owenc
9th Mar 2019, 21:14
Business Class seats..some can afford of course

kildress
11th Mar 2019, 08:07
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-47521609?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_news_ni&ns_linkname=northern_ireland

GAZMO
11th Mar 2019, 09:33
Here we go again !!!!!. Will they get it sorted before the summer season?

West Brit
11th Mar 2019, 09:41
Absolutely disgraceful. 6,300,000 passengers and still same number of baggage belts, passport control desks...... that they had for 4,000,000. Northern Ireland is a wet, windy and cold place, they have 1 air bridge, 1 less than 15 years. Do they not understand simple mathematics and forward planning? Pathetic

mart901
11th Mar 2019, 10:49
It doesn't look good agreed but hindsight is a wonderful thing The airport is building 3 more lanes and clearly something has to give in order to get them built. On Saturday I queued for maybe 6 or 7 mins every lane was open and loads of staff. In that circumstance what exactly at this stage can anyone do, this morning every lane open and fully staffed. Yes it should never have got to this but it has. FR scaling back will help no end given the size of aircraft and load factors they have.

owenc
11th Mar 2019, 12:22
Absolutely disgraceful. 6,300,000 passengers and still same number of baggage belts, passport control desks...... that they had for 4,000,000. Northern Ireland is a wet, windy and cold place, they have 1 air bridge, 1 less than 15 years. Do they not understand simple mathematics and forward planning? Pathetic
No, just a typical Northern Irish attitude of 'ugh sure, we'll take what we can get/have'. Lack of aspirations.

I don't understand why they can't adapt a strategy of calling people for flights?

left rudder
11th Mar 2019, 12:28
Mart
I usually appreciate your consistently dispassionate comments but I must register a disagreement on this topic
The present situation reflects a culture of greed where investment is continually deferred and revenues are diverted to the shareholder.
For example I estimate the vehicle set down area generates around £1.5m per annum
Not one penny of this has been reinvested. e.g. flooded parking field last July had zero drainage installed.
Regarding security this forum was forecasting six million passengers 2 years ago.
Perhaps refuellerman should be employed by the future planning dept! If there is one!
Management has also significantly increased profits by selling priority lane access to travellers let down by the standard security arrangements.
A disgrace by any standards!

GAZMO
11th Mar 2019, 12:58
Izmir on Jet2 schedule for 2020 starts 26 May weekly flight

GAZMO
11th Mar 2019, 13:31
From looking at the schedule for 2020 compared to 2019
ALC down 1
DLM up 1
FAO down 1
TFS up 1
Other routes same as 2019
Izmir up 1 (new destination)

BFS BHD
11th Mar 2019, 14:13
Looks like they are basing 3x B737-800s and 1x B737-300 for Summer 2020.

mart901
11th Mar 2019, 14:18
Izmir on Jet2 schedule for 2020 starts 26 May weekly flight

Great news that's been a long time coming

GAZMO
11th Mar 2019, 14:45
Looking at July 2020

Monday
AM ALC FAO PMI AGP PM HER DLM GRO REU

Tuesday
AM LEI BOJ FAO IBZ PM TFS MAH RHO ADB (Izmir)

Wednesday
AM PMI REU XXX XXX PM FUE PFO XXX XXX

Thursday
AM ALC GRO PMI MLA PM IBZ ACE DLM LPA

Friday
AM ALC PMI FAO AGP PM IBZ REU AYT TFS

Saturday
AM ALC PMI FAO AGP PM DBV MAH FUE TFS

Sunday
AM ALC PMI FAO XXX |PM LPA ACE IBZ REU

Madeira (FNC) not on schedule yet for July although showing Monday for April 2020. Free slots on Wed AM and Pm and one on Sunday AM
Hopefully got these correct

mart901
11th Mar 2019, 17:07
BHD taking every advantage to advertise fast security at the moment on social media 🤔

BFS BHD
11th Mar 2019, 19:44
Sunday Departures from December 29, 2019 to March 1, 2020 to Sofia Airport with Balkan Holidays.

Flight Times:
Arrives 11:00-12:50
Departs 13:50-19:20

https://nitravelnews.com/news/new-winter-charter-flights-from-belfast-to-bulgaria/

panpanpanpan
11th Mar 2019, 20:28
https://theulsterfry.com/business/belfast-international-now-offering-package-queuing-holidays/

This particular piece of satire is nearly a year old. The sad thing is that its still as relevant and ironic today as it was then! :ugh:

Startledgrapefruit
11th Mar 2019, 22:17
I am not a gambling person
With all this bad publicly
What are the odds that the BFS specials raise there heads again
Been a while since they were knocking on the door with their cry of "there's a perfectly good airport just up the road"

mart901
11th Mar 2019, 22:24
The 6th lane re-opens in a matter of days I believe. I'm sure once there is 8 lanes it will be fine.

BFS BHD
12th Mar 2019, 17:32
Looking at July 2020

Monday
AM ALC FAO PMI AGP PM HER DLM GRO REU

Tuesday
AM LEI BOJ FAO IBZ PM TFS MAH RHO ADB (Izmir)

Wednesday
AM PMI REU XXX XXX PM FUE PFO XXX XXX

Thursday
AM ALC GRO PMI MLA PM IBZ ACE DLM LPA

Friday
AM ALC PMI FAO AGP PM IBZ REU AYT TFS

Saturday
AM ALC PMI FAO AGP PM DBV MAH FUE TFS

Sunday
AM ALC PMI FAO XXX |PM LPA ACE IBZ REU

Madeira (FNC) not on schedule yet for July although showing Monday for April 2020. Free slots on Wed AM and Pm and one on Sunday AM
Hopefully got these correct

Looks like Madeira is being dropped for Summer 2020 as the April 2020 flights have now gone.

DC9_10
12th Mar 2019, 17:44
Haha been watching this tread to much amusement down here in the Canaries. A wee winter break courtesy of staff travel that most of you lot will never get. As for trolling, Pan your one of the worst next to Cutters who was banned from this tread for , 6 months. He was new here recently but obviously still hasent learnt his lesson.

cuthere
12th Mar 2019, 18:16
At no point in the nearly 15 years I have been posting on here have I been banned from PPRUNE or any of its threads (tread is something on a tyre, for instance). Nor have I, unlike you, Mutley, needed to reincarnate myself.

Anyway. I was coming on here to say that security at BFS this morning (late AM), was surprisingly smooth. Plenty of staff around. I had feared the worst, but it all went well. Hopefully, it continues until they get the new lanes open.

2Para
12th Mar 2019, 18:17
New here people, work in bfs aviation business, look forward to speaking to everyone later

GAZMO
12th Mar 2019, 18:20
Looks like Madeira is being dropped for Summer 2020 as the April 2020 flights have now gone.

Hopefully still time to release a few new routes for 2020. Only two aircraft needed on a Wednesday from flight timings

2Para
13th Mar 2019, 12:55
Has anyone anyone any ideas about any new summer charters this year?

GAZMO
13th Mar 2019, 14:41
Apart from the charters to Lourdes I haven't heard of anymore

GAZMO
14th Mar 2019, 13:29
press release for Jet2.com for 2020

20000 more seats

https://nitravelnews.com/news/jet2-com-and-jet2holidays-summer-2020-on-sale-now/

BFS BHD
14th Mar 2019, 21:58
Few flights missing at the minute.

Antalya (Monday Flight)
Larnaca
Reus (Appearing on Timetable but not bookable.)

Others flights remain the same.

True Blue
15th Mar 2019, 23:26
Past through Bfs on Wednesday, about 1.30pm. Straight through security, although it is quieter at that time of day. plenty of staff on duty. There were 4, what I would describe as helpers on duty, I wonder if they had been brought in by the security firm as I don't think they were local? It got me thinking, since airport/security operator should have some idea of when there could be a risk of bad publicity due to delays, why did they not have helpers going through the queues trying to help those with flights due soon to try and make it through security? It might not always have been successful, but at least it would have shown they were trying to help pax. Those complaining have always said lack of help/information. Although there will always be those who will always turn up at the last minute regardless of warnings.

It got me thinking, the fluids etc rules started about 13 years ago. I don't think procedures or equipment have changed that much during that time. Considering the cost and wasted time of all of this, you would think that much more could have been done to invest much better and more efficient equipment.

Guess part of the problem, too many involved in the process don't want to invest the money needed on research, quite happy for god knows how much of our lives to be wasted standing in airport queues worldwide.

But Bfs has had lack of investment, you only have to look at the extended roof outside the arrivals door. You might as well be outside when it rains. I have emailed GK maybe 3 times over the past few years asking when it is going to be fixed. The answer, soon, but it never has been. It is a disgrace.

But if you think Bfs is bad, let me tell you it was a complete pleasure compared to the hole that is Manchester airport, that I experienced on Thursday on my way back. Awful place.

Next month I will experience Bhd, Lhr and Sin. It will be interesting to compare.

2Para
15th Mar 2019, 23:58
I was through bhx the other week, to say it is grotty is qn understatement

GAZMO
16th Mar 2019, 08:02
On Thursday morning it took me seven minutes from top of escalator until exiting security (6.30am) so hopefully improvements for the summer

True Blue SIN changi Airport one of the best in the world

2Para
17th Mar 2019, 09:58
On Thursday morning it took me seven minutes from top of escalator until exiting security (6.30am) so hopefully improvements for the summer

True Blue SIN changi Airport one of the best in the world
7 minutes is some going GAZMO, id be happy with that.

snn20
17th Mar 2019, 12:29
Complaining about a 7 min wait? Heard it all now

SealinkBF
17th Mar 2019, 15:22

Seven minutes is a long time to stand about. Have been through security at London City, Gatwick and Heathrow in under three minutes.

GAZMO
17th Mar 2019, 15:52
sNN20 I was not complaining about the time it took. Looking to this summer the improvement in security once complete there should not be the delays we had in summer 2018

mariofly12
18th Mar 2019, 09:45
Sounds to me like whatever deal they came to Belfast has expired.

Both EZY and FR failed on Malta. Might not need extra security lanes after all.

i don't understand how a sun destination, as popular as Malta,has failed to be kept year-round, and ends up a monopoly route by Jet2, and that only seasonal..Why would it be any different to Canaries and Southern Spain?

mart901
18th Mar 2019, 10:43
i don't understand how a sun destination, as popular as Malta,has failed to be kept year-round, and ends up a monopoly route by Jet2, and that only seasonal..Why would it be any different to Canaries and Southern Spain?
FR can't compete in the NI market. They are backing out for the second time. Can't see them with a one aircraft base for too long.

snn20
18th Mar 2019, 11:49
Its not so much that they cant compete in the NI market, Its more a case of them not getting a good deal from BFS along with APD

JonEMA
18th Mar 2019, 12:09
APD is particularly harsh on NI in my opinion.........especially on domestic services that are relied on so heavily for business and VFR. If I were the DUP I would certainly be insisting on a reduction in exchange for their support over Brexit....

mart901
18th Mar 2019, 12:19
APD is particularly harsh on NI in my opinion.........especially on domestic services that are relied on so heavily for business and VFR. If I were the DUP I would certainly be insisting on a reduction in exchange for their support over Brexit....
This is totally true but FR knew this going in. Its only the same APD that BE and U2 have to contend with. All I hear is negative reports about FR here, people see them as the last resort almost.

Startledgrapefruit
18th Mar 2019, 12:34
This is totally true but FR knew this going in. Its only the same APD that BE and U2 have to contend with. All I hear is negative reports about FR here, people see them as the last resort almost.

If a person from Northern Ireland goes on the web and sees a flight for £4.99 they think bargan !
Add on the extras and it ends up £98 they feel they have been done
Other airline charges £105 in total from start, then northern ireland person thinks good deal and those other wee feckers tried to rip me off.
we are a weird we bunch over here when it comes to money ! Especially those Antrim ones
Ryanair almost blame the customer when they talk about low fares now.

EI-BUD
18th Mar 2019, 12:51

This is the key point. They knew in advance. The APD is penal on UK domestic as it is chargeable on both legs of the journey, but for say Spain or sun routes it is only on departure. All airlines are subject to the same APD as the competition...
​​​​​
The real issue is that easyJet are stronger now. They are holding firm. Sadly, Ryanair chased Wizz of some routes into the Polish market. In typical Ryanair style they come in chase out the competition, then exit. The most recent example of this is Dublin/Stuttgart, Aer Lingus have exited, now Ryanair will too...

With some luck easyJet and Jet2 will fill some of the void...

EI-BUD

owenc
18th Mar 2019, 14:01
Very rude ground crew member today. Stalking me about using my phone and then laughing.

All names taken
18th Mar 2019, 14:12

Have you ever been to Malta in the winter? Like much of the Med, it is cool, damp and unwelcoming. Nothing whatsoever like the Canaries climate. There is a reason why seasonal routes are seasonal you know......apart from those with vfr components. And there are few to none of those in the NI / Malta market.
It's nothing to do with airlines not liking NI it's just the market

All names taken
18th Mar 2019, 14:22
By the way, while I'm on a rare visit to Pprune, it's a pity about the reduction of RYR service to MAN.....the missus and the kids have made far more trips in recent times back home than she would have considered previously. Of course on the downside, it's made it more difficult for me to make an excuse to not visit the in-laws. Ha. Swings and roundabouts. And frankly as an impassive 'bum on seat' the offering between EZY and RYR is imperceptible. After 'price on the day', only the airport experience at MAN swings the vote - recommend EZY from T1 outbound and RYR to T3 back or v/v from your end.

sealink
18th Mar 2019, 16:17
The FR BGY route seems to be not operating November and only starting again for Christmas. Is this really the case? I hope its not the start of the end.

Startledgrapefruit
18th Mar 2019, 18:51
The FR BGY route seems to be not operating November and only starting again for Christmas. Is this really the case? I hope its not the start of the end.

As I mentioned a few posts back
I think they have a contract to "opperate" some flights and once that's done they are gone
The ones in the "know" on this fourum are very quiet and have not said that I am wrong so i.assume I am right .

PPRuNeUser0176
18th Mar 2019, 19:24
The schedule indicates ski traffic is what they are after.

inOban
18th Mar 2019, 20:41
Just as EZY suspend EDI to Lyon at the same time of year.

mariofly12
18th Mar 2019, 22:28
Have you ever been to Malta in the winter? Like much of the Med, it is cool, damp and unwelcoming. Nothing whatsoever like the Canaries climate. There is a reason why seasonal routes are seasonal you know......apart from those with vfr components. And there are few to none of those in the NI / Malta market.
It's nothing to do with airlines not liking NI it's just the market
I beg to differ..Tenerife or Las Palmas in the winter can be cool and damp too and so can other places in S.Europe..They have mild temps but do not avoid occasional damp weather..Now Malta most of the year is sunny and temperatures reach 18C in winter..Occasionally of course you get bad cold weather but it doesnt last long..So i see it more or less the same..Either way,maybe now FR is pulling out, Ezy could come back..

kildress
23rd Mar 2019, 07:07
Belfast International Airport lounge ranked joint third worst in the UK

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-international-airport-lounge-ranked-joint-third-worst-in-the-uk-37941534.html

El Bunto
23rd Mar 2019, 07:46
Belfast International Airport lounge ranked joint third worst in the UK

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-international-airport-lounge-ranked-joint-third-worst-in-the-uk-37941534.html

"...ranked the Causeway Lounge at the Belfast International poorly because of its lack of shower facilities, made-to-order dishes, sparkling wine or champagne, spa facilities and fast-track premium security."

Oh the horrors of business-class travel. No spa! The inhumanity!

Wait, aren't they supposed to be working? I'm fairly sure they'll be charging the travel time to some account.

2Para
23rd Mar 2019, 08:03
Thats what happens when they're is no premier service operating ex bfs, just no need for a business lounge with everything lo co.

Alteagod
23rd Mar 2019, 18:01
Never paid £27.50 in my puff to get in. Always deals.. got in fir £18 about 18 months ago

EGAC is Better
24th Mar 2019, 08:54
Never paid £27.50 in my puff to get in. Always deals.. got in fir £18 about 18 months ago

i was in around 2 months ago and heard staff at the door charge £27.50 for a walk in. They were also going to charge me the same for my guest if I didn’t use the guest rate available with my lounge pass.

Wait, aren't they supposed to be working? I'm fairly sure they'll be charging the travel time to some account.

They were working and their job was to review the lounge. Thats what they did and to be honest, the sippets published by the Telegraph are all fair comments. The only positive thing it doesn’t mention is that the Causeway Lounge is a place of relative calm in an otherwise horrible and over crowded terminal.

Husky One
24th Mar 2019, 13:51
Unfortunately the Causeway Lounge suffers from the same ineptitude as the rest of BFS. It is certainly a nicer place to spend time as the relic surrounding it however it has failed to keep up with other offerings in the UK. It is now regularly overcrowded and fails to offer anything like the level of catering or drinks offered in other lounges. The staff are great but the corporate feel smacks of the minimum to get by with. That said the City’s offerings aren’t exactly great either. The BA lounge is poor and offers no hot food options at all. Neither lounge at BHD even has their own toilet. Pretty pathetic really.

GAZMO
28th Mar 2019, 07:11
Is Ryanair dropping Milan Bergamo as well. Doesn't appear to be booked after October?

Are they going to leave BFS totally?

BFS101
28th Mar 2019, 10:46
GAZMO,
Bergamo starts again 21 December, back to twice weekly in January 2020. Perhaps cutting out the very low demand period, until the ski season gets going.
I wonder is NI really that seasonal, that FR could have a good programme during the summer, like Jet2, but cut back to the bones during the winter. Will be interesting to see if these cuts to winter 19/20 carry on into Summer 20. The Polish route cuts are interesting however, as you would expect with VFR traffic, demand would be fairly steady year round.

GAZMO
29th Mar 2019, 09:56
CAA stats out for February

Rolling Year 6,373,935

Increase + 9.8%

BFS BHD
2nd Apr 2019, 15:33
Ryanair now cutting flights for Summer 2019!

cuthere
2nd Apr 2019, 15:44
STN (for example) down to 2x week from June. Pointless scheduling.

sinbad73
2nd Apr 2019, 15:54
STN (for example) down to 2x week from June. Pointless scheduling.

STN-EDI showing about 4 x pw too apparently

GAZMO
2nd Apr 2019, 16:30
Are Ryanair for pulling out of BFS or just playing silly games with BFS to try and get a better deal?

Looks like EZY have pshed them off the LGW route and looks like STN now. Will MAN be next

As a customer I would be worried about booking with them!

cuthere
2nd Apr 2019, 16:39
Cuts are not confined to BFS. Seems to be reductions on several routes.

2Para
2nd Apr 2019, 19:12
Cuts are not confined to BFS. Seems to be reductions on several routes.
down to 1 aircraft based apparently, was ment to be sept but crept foward to june.

True Blue
2nd Apr 2019, 19:19
I do have to wonder about the thinking behind running two flights a week to the likes of Stansted. Is it just to keep the aircraft busy when it might otherwise be sitting idle? Anyway, we have had a flight to Stn cancelled, it was to connect to another flight. Second time this has happened, the other time was Lgw, so I will avoid like the plague in the future. All is not right with this crowd.

PPRuNeUser0176
2nd Apr 2019, 19:55
THe FR MAN/STN schedules appear to be official (for now) based on the press release for winter.

mart901
2nd Apr 2019, 20:53
On a totally separate note I believe fed & watered is closing for about 7 weeks for a total refit. That will mean virtually everything catering wise will have been revamped.

BHD2BFS
2nd Apr 2019, 23:26
Easyjet have previously said they are unable to expand at bfs due to it currently at max capacity
with the reduction in FR does this mean they can once again look at expanding?

2Para
3rd Apr 2019, 05:42
On a totally separate note I believe fed & watered is closing for about 7 weeks for a total refit. That will mean virtually everything catering wise will have been revamped.
they are extending out onto the top of the international bag carousel if anyone knows them.

mart901
3rd Apr 2019, 08:01
Easyjet have previously said they are unable to expand at bfs due to it currently at max capacity
with the reduction in FR does this mean they can once again look at expanding?

The wording from EZY was very ambiguous about capacity, like as though it could be space related or could be they were running out of viable routes/markets.
Also worth bearing in mind FR was flying PAX on £9.99 fares, you can make a demand out of thin air try sustaining it is another thing.

GAZMO
3rd Apr 2019, 09:05
From BFS re Food outlets

"We are pleased to announce that a new and exciting experience is coming to Belfast International Airport - NORTHERN QTR!

Mount Charles are undergoing refurbishment to create an exciting new collection of eateries called Northern QTR. The project consists of the expansion of the departures lounge to accommodate for the renovation of Fed and Watered and the addition of two new eateries Coco Diablo and Chopped!

We would like to advise customers due to the development works Fed and Watered will have to close for up to 7 weeks from 7th April with the expectation of re-opening the full Northern QTR on the 20th May, we apologise for any inconvenience caused. In the meantime, you can visit Starbucks, Burger King, Sip & Stone, The Lagan Bar and Cafe Bar at gate 22"

So Mexican (Coco Diablo) and Healthy (Chopped) arriving

panpanpanpan
3rd Apr 2019, 16:32
Airside NI reporting some sort of incident with an Easy and a tug, hopefully some fillers and a lick of paint will sort everything out.:ouch:

GAZMO
3rd Apr 2019, 17:08
Ooops, hopefully no injuries and assume covered by insurance

Big delay on the Malaga fight at the moment!!

GAZMO
3rd Apr 2019, 17:58
Yep Malaga flight

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-international-airport-flight-grounded-after-easyjet-plane-damaged-37980627.html

panpanpanpan
3rd Apr 2019, 18:48
So how does a tug go from the front of the aircraft to being parked against an engine cowling?:confused:

2Para
3rd Apr 2019, 19:18
So how does a tug go from the front of the aircraft to being parked against an engine cowling?:confused:
towbar pin failure ive heard

Startledgrapefruit
3rd Apr 2019, 19:29
I am guessing thumbs up from marshaller and tug driver pulls back a bit to waif for marshaller but not too far back so marshaller does not have to walk too far
Aircraft taxies
Tug driver and co are having wee chat on next task to do and forget to move back.
Get the TCut.

But that may not be the case

Buzz Lightyear 11
3rd Apr 2019, 20:31
towbar pin failure ive heard

another accident waiting to happen from the handlers. high turnover of staff, lack of training and general attitude of handlers and their superiors = accidents like today

2Para
3rd Apr 2019, 20:43
I am guessing thumbs up from marshaller and tug driver pulls back a bit to waif for marshaller but not too far back so marshaller does not have to walk too far
Aircraft taxies
Tug driver and co are having wee chat on next task to do and forget to move back.
Get the TCut.

But that may not be the case
its not the case

2Para
3rd Apr 2019, 22:40
another accident waiting to happen from the handlers. high turnover of staff, lack of training and general attitude of handlers and their superiors = accidents like today
sadly buzz, you are correct.

SealinkBF
4th Apr 2019, 13:12
I do have to wonder about the thinking behind running two flights a week to the likes of Stansted. Is it just to keep the aircraft busy when it might otherwise be sitting idle? Anyway, we have had a flight to Stn cancelled, it was to connect to another flight. Second time this has happened, the other time was Lgw, so I will avoid like the plague in the future. All is not right with this crowd.

There's a very busy weekend break market in each direction. Yay GoT!

Alteagod
4th Apr 2019, 13:29
Not sure those close up pictures should be on pprune tbh of EZY

PPRuNeUser0176
5th Apr 2019, 12:42
Ryanair advance STN cuts to 1 June.

GAZMO
5th Apr 2019, 13:07
Is this a one off charter flight today MADRID/BARAJAS YW2330 arrive 14:00

BFS BHD
5th Apr 2019, 15:07
https://nitravelnews.com/news/easyjet-launches-even-more-flights-from-belfast-to-bristol/

GAZMO
5th Apr 2019, 18:36
Good news from EZY hopefully a few more routes
BRS base aircraft

BFS BHD
5th Apr 2019, 19:39
EasyJet next schedule release (27th October 2019 - 28th March 2020) is out on 11th April.
Hopefully see some increases and some new routes announced in a few weeks/months.

True Blue
7th Apr 2019, 16:59
Is the expanded security area operational yet?

GAZMO
7th Apr 2019, 20:52
Had friend who passed through today and said it is fully open
took five mins to get through

BFS101
7th Apr 2019, 23:22
Passed through the new security area on Saturday heading to Nice. 10.00 flight so after the first wave out, but through in 5 minutes or so.

BHD2BFS
7th Apr 2019, 23:47
Is security now as modern as the machines at bhd? A revolving tray system that is in place at most airports ?

owenc
8th Apr 2019, 10:52
It’s probably an expansion of the existing system.

2Para
8th Apr 2019, 12:08
Is security now as modern as the machines at bhd? A revolving tray system that is in place at most airports ?
😂😂 funny one

GAZMO
11th Apr 2019, 06:33
EZY winter 19/20 on sale

no new routes

AMS no Tuesday flight in November and Venice no flights mid November 19 to mid February 20

2Para
11th Apr 2019, 10:13
EZY winter 19/20 on sale

no new routes

AMS no Tuesday flight in November and Venice no flights mid November 19 to mid February 20
i thought venice would have been good for winter, not too far away from Italian Dolomites

Startledgrapefruit
12th Apr 2019, 18:38
See the Trident has gone
where are 2para and his minions going to live now ?

2Para
12th Apr 2019, 19:50
See the Trident has gone
where are 2para and his minions going to live now ?
😂😂 very funny grape...........fruit, id love it if u started talking about all things avaition for a change

Startledgrapefruit
17th Apr 2019, 20:44
https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/belfast-international-airport-shuttle-buses-16142169

2Para
17th Apr 2019, 22:26
If they built more walkways and domestic stands it would never have occoured

EGAC is Better
18th Apr 2019, 08:30
Does anyone know the state of G-EZWC following the tug incident? Was through yesterday and noted a protective cover/tent type thing attached to the fuselage ahead of the engine on the side of impact. Has it received structural damage?

2Para
19th Apr 2019, 19:36
Does anyone know the state of G-EZWC following the tug incident? Was through yesterday and noted a protective cover/tent type thing attached to the fuselage ahead of the engine on the side of impact. Has it received structural damage?
maybe it was along side it, to attach it would involve sticking or affixing it to the a/c, im sure the a/c has enough damage without that, friend.

EGAC is Better
20th Apr 2019, 06:20
maybe it was along side it, to attach it would involve sticking or affixing it to the a/c, im sure the a/c has enough damage without that, friend.

Attached; adjective. joined, fastened, or connected to something.

I saw it with my own eyes. There were straps around the fuselage holiding it in place therefore the use of the word attached.

My choice of word was correct, friend. Unless you have any info about the state of the aircraft that you are at liberty to share, there isn’t much point in continuing this exchange.

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2019, 09:26
Two New Routes On Sale For S20 With TUI To Dalaman And Kos.

mart901
25th Apr 2019, 09:50
Good. Anything dropped to make way

BFS BHD
25th Apr 2019, 09:57
Mahon and Las Palmas

Danmadole
27th Apr 2019, 08:41
See the Trident has gone

Only the front half (forward of wings) has been neatly removed and taken off site. Anyone know where it went? Scrapping looked unlikely after such a neat job. Rear half still at BFS.

BFS BHD
28th Apr 2019, 20:44
Looking at Thomas Cooks Summer 2020 Timetable and notice that there are gaps on:

Monday Morning (No Antalya showing)
Wednesday Afternoon (No Larnaca showing)
Sunday Morning (No Reus showing)

Are they planning on adding these flights soon or are they going to start new routes? Bodrum on one of the days maybe?

2Para
28th Apr 2019, 22:39
Should fill them in as the season progresses

GAZMO
16th May 2019, 05:01
CAA stats out for March

up 10.4%

rolling 12 months 6,411,626

GAZMO
16th May 2019, 13:27
FYI

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/laser-pen-attacks-risking-safety-of-northern-ireland-passenger-jets-airport-chief-38117809.html

GAZMO
21st May 2019, 11:06
Easyjet numbers increase

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/easyjet-sees-6-rise-in-passenger-numbers-at-belfast-international-airport-38129607.html

Planespeaking
21st May 2019, 15:14
Easyjet numbers increase

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/easyjet-sees-6-rise-in-passenger-numbers-at-belfast-international-airport-38129607.html
Strike action.

According to various news websites LTN staff are going on strike over the bank holiday period.

More info would be welcome, where are you LTNman when we need your insider knowledge?

EGAC is Better
21st May 2019, 18:02
So, it’s all gone quiet on the disaster security stories.

To that end, after all my bitching when it was bad, I’ve got to say good job (mostly) on fixing the issues. Last two Tuesdays I’ve been through in no time since the changes.

The reason for “mostly” is because I’ve twice gone through in the evening to have people moved from the normal queue into the priority queue in front of me. Its a first world problem but a bug bearer when I’ve paid for a fast track service only to be slowed by those who haven’t.

owenc
21st May 2019, 18:06
The security facilities are up to standard now. Nothing to complain about!

I have to agree about the fast track though!

GAZMO
23rd May 2019, 05:57
Have to agree with the improvements at security
passed through this morning in 5 minutes

owenc
30th May 2019, 21:44
So what's the prognosis of Ryanair? Are they pulling out fully?

GAZMO
31st May 2019, 16:33
More bad PR
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/disabled-mans-shock-at-9-belfast-international-airport-charge-for-hours-parking-38166824.html

2Para
1st Jun 2019, 10:32
More bad PR
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/disabled-mans-shock-at-9-belfast-international-airport-charge-for-hours-parking-38166824.html
aye GAZMO, u love the bad press, don't you.

Startledgrapefruit
2nd Jun 2019, 08:41
aye GAZMO, u love the bad press, don't you.

Bad PR is only the customer reacting to what the company does wrong.

Oh I feel another PM message brewing !

KNT544
2nd Jun 2019, 08:50
Man is charged £9.00 to park for an hour whilst others are charged £28.00.

I don’t get it.

Is his complaint he isn’t being charged enough or that he feels he should pay zero? Or that they should have ignored the extra minute?

Terrible and typically poor journalism.

2Para
2nd Jun 2019, 09:31
Bad PR is only the customer reacting to what the company does wrong.

Oh I feel another PM message brewing !
what company and there was nothing done wrong, there is no dissabled service so y the problem??

mmc272
2nd Jun 2019, 14:42
I’ve been dropping off and picking up a disabled passenger who is frequent traveller every 6 weeks for a few years. She uses special assistance to travel, It normally costs between £5-10 depending on how long I’m in the terminal. Never thought much more of it, it is what it is.

To my disgust, I picked her up from Belfast City Airport and when I met her with the Special assistance on arrival they asked for my parking ticket and validated it for free. I then found out that this is available at the International and nobody told me. I must have waisted hundreds of pounds in unnessary parking charges.

Startledgrapefruit
2nd Jun 2019, 16:10
what company and there was nothing done wrong, there is no dissabled service so y the problem??

What are you on about, other than defending your pride and joy ?
Was not even mentioning them

BFS BHD
10th Jun 2019, 20:27
Normally around June/July time easyJet announce new routes for Winter 2019/2020 from their bases.
I know a few months ago they said there was no room left to expand.
But now that Ryanair has gone from two aircraft to only one aircraft I wonder will easyJet want to expand again at BFS?
Has there been any talks of any new routes from BFS?

BFS BHD
12th Jun 2019, 19:28
Wizz Air have changed their schedules for Winter 2019/2020 from Thursday & Sunday flights to Wednesday & Sunday flights.

Times change from Evening flights to Morning flights, flights arrive 07:45 and departs 08:15 now.

They also have a flight on sale for Christmas Day this year. Not sure if that one will go ahead as i'm sure the airport is closed!

Startledgrapefruit
19th Jun 2019, 13:03
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tourism-ireland-chief-shocked-by-airport-directors-criticism-38234139.html

So Aldergrove blame everyone but themselves again for lack of transatlantic flights

2Para
19th Jun 2019, 13:08
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/tourism-ireland-chief-shocked-by-airport-directors-criticism-38234139.html

So Aldrgeove blame everyone but themselves again for lack of transatlantic flights
Haven't heard of Aldrgeove before 🤣🤣✊✊💦

BFS BHD
19th Jun 2019, 13:33
Thomas Cook are restarting flight again to Palma de Mallorca for Summer 2020.

alm1
19th Jun 2019, 14:35
They also have a flight on sale for Christmas Day this year. Not sure if that one will go ahead as i'm sure the airport is closed!

I found airport use terms and conditions for 2018 and they say that they plan to be closed but can accept flights on Christmas day if notified 2 months in advance and with extra fee of £10000. I have my doubts :)

GAZMO
19th Jun 2019, 14:38
CAA stats now confirmed for April

12 rolling months 6,455,000 pax

2Para
19th Jun 2019, 15:03
I found airport use terms and conditions for 2018 and they say that they plan to be closed but can accept flights on Christmas day if notified 2 months in advance and with extra fee of £10000. I have my doubts :)
i know airtours/mytravel did operate Christmas day run, even BA at a time so it can be done, 10k is bit steep lol

BCALBOY
19th Jun 2019, 15:35
BA never operated on Christmas Day.
Think BMI tried it one season but didn't repeat.

Alteagod
19th Jun 2019, 16:20
I was on shift the xmas eve before. It was one inbound only from LHR for all the overnight long haul connections into LHR. Nothing opened at airport just mandatory bodies and GHA staff on shift. If I recall it was one way only ex LHR.

JM926
19th Jun 2019, 18:30
Thomas Cook are restarting flight again to Palma de Mallorca for Summer 2020.

Doesn’t appear to be on their timetable for summer 2020....?

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/generated/timetable_S2020.pdf

BFS BHD
19th Jun 2019, 18:53
Doesn’t appear to be on their timetable for summer 2020....?

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/generated/timetable_S2020.pdf

Bookable on www.thomascook.com

Flights depart Wednesdays from 6th May 2020

Departs - 06:30-10:25
Arrives - 11:25-13:25

SealinkBF
20th Jun 2019, 03:17

So Aldergrove blame everyone but themselves again for lack of transatlantic flights

As someone who is from Belfast, the idea that not enough is being done is laughable. Game of Thrones for goodness sake. Titanic! The travel apps for NI are amazing.

Blame APD but the tourist board is going above and beyond their duty!

Maybe just maybe theres not enough business for a five to seven day daily flight.

PDXCWL45
20th Jun 2019, 13:19
As someone who is from Belfast, the idea that not enough is being done is laughable. Game of Thrones for goodness sake. Titanic! The travel apps for NI are amazing.

Blame APD but the tourist board is going above and beyond their duty!

Maybe just maybe theres not enough business for a five to seven day daily flight.
I wonder if for many Northern Ireland is considered more an add on to a holiday in Ireland than a destination in its own right especially for Americans. Hence people start and end their journeys in Dublin rather than Belfast.

2Para
20th Jun 2019, 16:47
I wonder if for many Northern Ireland is considered more an add on to a holiday in Ireland than a destination in its own right especially for Americans. Hence people start and end their journeys in Dublin rather than Belfast.
sure most of the republic have no internet coverage and the roads are horrendous, and before anyone takes offense i would ask them to go for a drive down the west coast and prove me wrong.

PDXCWL45
20th Jun 2019, 18:07
sure most of the republic have no internet coverage and the roads are horrendous, and before anyone takes offense i would ask them to go for a drive down the west coast and prove me wrong.
What's that got to do with people holidaying and starting in Dublin?

BFS BHD
21st Jun 2019, 18:07
Some changes for Summer 2020

Palma - NEW 1 Weekly (Wednesday)
Reus - Up from 3 Weekly to 4 Weekly (Monday, Tuesday, Friday & Saturday)

Enfidha - Down from 2 Weekly to 1 Weekly (Sunday)

Antalya - 2 Weekly (Wednesday & Sunday)
Dalaman - 3 Weekly (Monday, Thursday & Saturday)
Lanzarote - 1 Weekly (Thursday)
Tenerife - 2 Weekly (Tuesday & Friday)

Larnaca - Dropped

NorthernCounties
22nd Jun 2019, 12:13
What's that got to do with people holidaying and starting in Dublin?

S/he's just another bitter person, spouting complete nonsense. Practically the same percentage of people living in Rural Ireland have access to 30mbp or above broadband as they do in Rural UK, and this isn't based on bluster (see page 20 here (https://www.eca.europa.eu/Lists/ECADocuments/SR18_12/SR_BROADBAND_EN.pdf)).

In terms of roads in the west coast, have you been there 2Para? Regardless of the fact that you can get to every city in the republic from Dublin on motorway quality roads, and the northern border, you can also drive from Tuam, to South of Limerick City on continuous 137km worth of motorway or HQDC quality roads (106km of which is actually designated motorway (M17/M18/M20)) which is 7 kms short of overtaking the length of Northern Ireland's entire motorway network which stands at just 113.1km per the source here. (http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/roads//indexcurrent.html)

Yet when I drive North of the Border when I want to go home, I go from the M1 to the horrific winding A1 "Dual Carriageway", get stuck at York Gate Interchange, and don't even get me started on the A5 and A6. There isn't even a dual carriageway connection to the "International" Airport for crying out loud!!!

owenc
22nd Jun 2019, 12:31
No one mentioned life quality. He was just asking why people choose to start their journey in Dublin instead of Northern Ireland.

And he is right. I have noticed this with English people who visit Northern Ireland, despite NI being miles from DUB and BFS being a lot easier to get to.

if I am honest, I think it is because foreigners just have a lot more positive feelings and thoughts towards ROI than NI.

NI people are seen as being very direct and blunt. A lot of nationalities don’t like that, unfortunately. Particularly the Southern English.

owenc
23rd Jun 2019, 20:48
Does anyone notice the massive hike in prices for Easyjet to STN since Ryanair has pulled off? I regularly seen £40-£80 return, now it is in and around £150-£200.

Can't see people from NI consistency paying that.

cuthere
23rd Jun 2019, 21:15
Pretty simple Owen. Supply vs. demand. When supply goes down (fewer seats on offer due to FR’s reduction), then demand for remaining seats goes up (as does the price).

kildress
24th Jun 2019, 06:47
Owenc, that's rather a derogatory comment about us decent NI folk, I don't think we are particularly miserable!
Consistency?

El Bunto
24th Jun 2019, 07:12
Supply vs. demand. When supply goes down (fewer seats on offer due to FR’s reduction), then demand for remaining seats goes up (as does the price).

That's back to front. Much air travel is discretionary, so beyond a base load the level of demand is established by the pricing.

It's not obscure economics, it's the entire basis of Ryanair's strategy! And indeed how Easyjet started ( fly to London for the price of a pair of jeans ).

On the Stansted, Easyjet seem to have calculated that they can maintain the route solely by milking the must-fly base load of passengers and discarding the opportunistic, discretionary demand that Ryanair had cultivated.

mart901
24th Jun 2019, 10:03
Does anyone notice the massive hike in prices for Easyjet to STN since Ryanair has pulled off? I regularly seen £40-£80 return, now it is in and around £150-£200.

Can't see people from NI consistency paying that.
If your organised then no, £50-£60 return. If you want to travel last minute you will pay dear. The very reason for FR pulling out is they couldn't drive demand to a point where they were charging over the odds to last minute customers - they only did well numbers wise on both LON routes when they were loosing money. Simple. Blaming APD is nonsense it was there when they arrived.

owenc
24th Jun 2019, 11:48
I didn't mention APD? I just noticed the substantial hike in prices once Ryanair pulled out.

Usually, i'd book my flights a week or so in advance and i'd always get a decent fare. It seems now that one has to book his flight about a month before to get a decent fare.

VickersVicount
24th Jun 2019, 12:00
Even all the Causeway, GoT and Titanic 'foreigners' ?

owenc
24th Jun 2019, 12:02
Ok then..Americans and so on are flocking to Northern Ireland. Where are our Transatlantic flights?

And why does Dublin airport have over 31 million passengers per annum compared with BFS's measly 6.5 million? Explain that.

The reality is that foreigners want the authentic Irish experience, so they go south. They don't want to see Belfast or look at 'Peace Wall's'.

Husky One
24th Jun 2019, 15:57
Try booking LHR a week I advance and see how that works out.
Airlines exist to make money. It is not our fundamental right to jet around the place for £20 and If the climate alarmists get their way you’ll be in for an even bigger shock. As for Ryanair, the last time I went to Manchester at 2 weeks notice, Easyjet were over £100 cheaper.
30 years ago it was around £270 rtn to London. That’s £550 in today’s money so we’re doing ok.

owenc
24th Jun 2019, 16:42
When did I say I paid £20 return Husky? Don’t pick at my financial situation.

NorthernCounties
24th Jun 2019, 16:42
Ok then..Americans and so on are flocking to Northern Ireland. Where are our Transatlantic flights?

And why does Dublin airport have over 31 million passengers per annum compared with BFS's measly 6.5 million? Explain that.

The reality is that foreigners want the authentic Irish experience, so they go south. They don't want to see Belfast or look at 'Peace Wall's'.

You're 100% correct. Tourists bar the odd one don't want to visit Belfast (no more than they want to visit Derry, Limerick or Cork city), as it's a kip, and there's nout to do other than look at poorly drawn murals, flegs, and an overpriced Titanic museum. Not that Dublin has loads more to offer, but it's got a party atmosphere and the pubs are busy every night. Those that do venture north, are either brave Southerners (the vast majority I have met living in Dublin for four years are terrified of what will happen to them in the north and afraid to speak when they do come up, even in "Nationalist" areas), Northerners that live in the South and drag people up kicking and scream (like myself), foreigners living in the South that have already exhausted the Bray Cliff Walk, Howth Head Walk, Glendalough, the Cliffs of Moher, and Galway, or gung-ho French and German´s. I think you were also kind about Southern Englander's too, they're on the whole terrified of the North too. But to be honest, with the carry on the way it is, it's not going to change anytime soon.

mart901
24th Jun 2019, 21:47
I didn't mention APD? I just noticed the substantial hike in prices once Ryanair pulled out.

Usually, i'd book my flights a week or so in advance and i'd always get a decent fare. It seems now that one has to book his flight about a month before to get a decent fare.
It was Ryanair that stated they pulled flights because of APD, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I would never leave flights to a week ahead to book, its normally months and even up to a year or more. We booked Lanzarote in April and we're travelling in July 2020 par example. Low cost airlines work on the basis they get more expensive the closer you get, the opposite to how airlines (charter in particular) used to work. They budget things like fuel on funds from early bookings.This is the whole reason Ryanair have reduced services, the fact you could get cheap fares at the last minute means they've sold below cost all the way through from when the flight went on sale.

speedrestriction
24th Jun 2019, 21:54
It was Ryanair that stated they pulled flights because of APD, sorry if I wasn't clear.

I would never leave flights to a week ahead to book, its normally months and even up to a year or more. We booked Lanzarote in April and we're travelling in July 2020 par example. Low cost airlines work on the basis they get more expensive the closer you get, the opposite to how airlines (charter in particular) used to work. They budget things like fuel on funds from early bookings.This is the whole reason Ryanair have reduced services, the fact you could get cheap fares at the last minute means they've sold below cost all the way through from when the flight went on sale.

Its a bit more complicated than that - airlines are running systems 24/7/365 constantly analysing booking rates, inventory, competitor pricing etc and then adjusting their fares to optimise yield - this can lead to prices rising or falling as the day of flight approaches. There are tens of variables which will affect the quoted prices at any particular time.

mart901
24th Jun 2019, 22:25
Its a bit more complicated than that - airlines are running systems 24/7/365 constantly analysing booking rates, inventory, competitor pricing etc and then adjusting their fares to optimise yield - this can lead to prices rising or falling as the day of flight approaches. There are tens of variables which will affect the quoted prices at any particular time.
Granted yes, I agree. But, if FR was making money they'd be there. And my sources tell me they literally could only fill all that capacity by deep discounting. easyJet have basically beaten them, twice, first at LGW and now in the holy grail of FR territory STN.