PDA

View Full Version : Belfast International-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

GAZMO
12th Apr 2018, 07:28
EZY winter flights now on sale. Looks like Lyon has been dropped

Cozy F
12th Apr 2018, 15:57
Weekly Lyon still operating in winter, as before.

Must be more to come. Naples and Valencia both summer seasonal.

BFS BHD
16th Apr 2018, 23:34
Plenty of gaps in EasyJets Winter 2018/19 schedules, I know its winter and they do have gaps but some days a A320 does nothing all day.

Surely there will be increases on some routes or new routes?

Maybe another ski route to Grenoble, maybe Copenhagen, Tenerife or Palma running though winter? :confused:

29Alpha
18th Apr 2018, 16:30
I see d8 are operating a double daily over the winter to Newburgh out of the dub, bye bye Norwegian

Cozy F
18th Apr 2018, 18:18
Or look on the bright side! Belfast won’t play a role in the carnage which will inevitably occur during dead of winter on the routes that have been expanded.

29Alpha
18th Apr 2018, 18:57
Belfast wont have to worry any way, we need a scheduled usa service

owenc
18th Apr 2018, 19:11
Yes, with a legacy airline.

29Alpha
18th Apr 2018, 21:14
Yes, with a legacy airline.

How far on was this delta flight rumour that was going about?

Alteagod
18th Apr 2018, 21:15
I really do think BFS would be better persuing a Canadian destination rather than USA or find something more niche maybe

El Bunto
21st Apr 2018, 09:44
Easyjet Neo G-UZHD based at present should anyone fancy a gander at its big fat engines

BFS BHD
21st Apr 2018, 10:29
Vilnius now on sale for Winter 2018/19. Still morning times but moves from 07:05/07:40 to 07:25/07:55.

El Bunto
22nd Apr 2018, 05:41
Maybe the wrong place to ask this question, but does anyone know why European Air Transport (A300) operates the BFS-EMA DHL service instead of DHL Air UK?

Tuesday to Saturday are tag-ons from Leipzig and hence operated by EAT. When BCS2406 originates from East Midlands ( on a Monday morning ) it's operated by West Atlantic or DHL UK.

BFS BHD
24th Apr 2018, 00:30
Projects for 2018 include:

• LED lighting for the park and fly car park
• LED lighting for the low level lighting in the long stay car park
• LED lighting scheme for the check in hall
• New toilets in the check in hall including LED lighting and water conservation systems
• Review of air conditioning and air handling equipment
https://www.belfastairport.com/media/4556/cr-report-2017.pdf

Also Planning permission for the new Premier Inn as been approved.
TSA are delighted to secure planning permission within 4 months for a new 81 bedroom Premier Inn Hotel this evening at BIA on behalf of Moorfield Hospitality.
https://twitter.com/TSAPlanning/status/988489927049564161

West Brit
24th Apr 2018, 09:55
Well the future certainly is looking 'brighter' now when these LED bulbs are in place!

29Alpha
24th Apr 2018, 10:15
Well the future certainly is looking 'brighter' now when these LED bulbs are in place!

😂😂😂 please stop it 🤣🤣

True Blue
24th Apr 2018, 10:55
Belfast International sold?

NewsNow: Loading story... (http://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/934738430?-303:3665)

BFS BHD
24th Apr 2018, 12:17
New route to Bourgas for Summer 2019 for Jet2.

BFS101
24th Apr 2018, 12:25
Also reported on BBC, BFS sold....
Belfast International Airport sold to French firm - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43879729)

GAZMO
24th Apr 2018, 12:44
Good news from Jet2. No dates loaded yet but probably May to September on a Wednesday

El Bunto
24th Apr 2018, 13:34

You jest, but one of the problems with LED lighting is that it encourages use of brighter bulbs for the same power consumption, instead of maintaining the same level of illumination. Which is worse for people living nearby ( and not just would-be astronomers ).

BHD2BFS
24th Apr 2018, 15:04
Could this help open new routes to airports in France and Portugal?

GAZMO
24th Apr 2018, 16:37
BFS to BOJ confirmed on Wednesdays starting 29/5/19, departs 14.45. Finishing 25/9/19

They still have a spare AM and PM slots on Wednesday so maybe some more to come

Alteagod
24th Apr 2018, 18:30
Would no doubt help to boost traffic to other airports in the group

BFS BHD
24th Apr 2018, 19:47
BFS to BOJ confirmed on Wednesdays starting 29/5/19, departs 14.45. Finishing 25/9/19

They still have a spare AM and PM slots on Wednesday so maybe some more to come

Looks to be on the B737-300 aircraft so that leaves one of the B737-800 aircraft still not doing anything all day on a Wednesday. Must be another route or two to be announced?

GAZMO
26th Apr 2018, 10:15
kefalonia being reportedly as destination on ni travel website although not yet on EZY website

https://nitravelnews.com/news/easyjet-winter-flights-now-on-sale/

Startledgrapefruit
26th Apr 2018, 11:14
So when do you all think FR will throw the toys out of the pram and say rates are too high ?

BFS BHD
26th Apr 2018, 16:30
kefalonia being reportedly as destination on ni travel website although not yet on EZY website

https://nitravelnews.com/news/easyjet-winter-flights-now-on-sale/

Maybe meant 'Keflavik'?

Alteagod
26th Apr 2018, 17:28
Thats more likely

BHD2BFS
28th Apr 2018, 10:18
I wonder why VS has showed no interest in a NY route from BFS or even Canada they have good brand awareness in NI

29Alpha
28th Apr 2018, 13:15
I wonder why VS has showed no interest in a NY route from BFS or even Canada they have good brand awareness in NI
i would give them a chance first, this is the first time they have run a full season so give them time

NWSRG
28th Apr 2018, 13:49

I'd love to see it, but think it's unlikely. Our MCO service is part of the LGW/MAN/GLA collection of holiday routes. In which case, a Vegas offering might be possible, But all of Virgin's 'business' type routes (such as YYZ or JFK) are operated by the LHR-based operation. They haven't offered destinations such as those from anywhere other than Heathrow.

If you look at it from a Belfast perspective, then we could maybe base a 787 here, and offer a couple of Toronto rotations and maybe three New York rotations each week. Throw in an Orlando at the weekend, and we may well be able to justify the aircraft. But from the VS perspective, they operate a 'business' type service from LHR, and the holiday routes from LGW/MAN/GLA/BFS.

owenc
28th Apr 2018, 13:49
Dublin is quite expensive this year! I wonder will more people connect from Heathrow?

I was just looking at Chicago from BHD and the prices are £200 cheaper.

Ringwayman
28th Apr 2018, 19:36
But from the VS perspective, they operate a 'business' type service from LHR, and the holiday routes from LGW/MAN/GLA/BFS.

MAN has a hybrid operation: "hoilday routes" to MCO (10 weekly or thereabouts) with BGI & LAS both 2 weekly. "Business routes" to JFK and ATL daily (both appear to be 4 weekly in winter) with summer seasonal on MAN-SFO 3 weekly and MAN-BOS 2 weekly (though the primary focus for SFO and BOS may be holiday traffic, the hope is that hi-tech links between SFO and MAN based compnanies can get it to also become year-round as they are attempting to garner corporate traffic).

owenc
28th Apr 2018, 21:42
I think there are a couple of reasons why Virgin have showed no interest in BFS to JFK/BOS/YYZ flights, and are unlikely to do so anytime soon;

United were unable to make BFS-EWR work, despite having daily B752 flights providing connections to over 100 destinations. Virgin would have to use the much larger B789/A333, and Delta's JFK hub provides a lot fewer connections than United at EWR.

Additional services from BFS would require Virgin to order additional aircraft or axe existing routes, as there's simply no capacity available for the flights.

Demand on transatlantic routes from BFS isn't yet high enough to sustain more than one airline. Norwegian is (albeit seasonally) still operating from BFS, meaning any potential Virgin service would need to rely heavily on transfer passengers, as a large number of point-to-point and budget travellers would choose to fly Norwegian.

I don't think Virgin will add flights to JFK/BOS/YYZ from BFS anytime soon, but if their MCO service continues to be a success then I could see the frequency being increased, and there is always a remote possibility of flights to LAS/BGI.
United was too expensive, and it did work. I think one year they carried 90,000 passengers, then it decreased thereafter for whatever reason. I think it would be hard to compete with Dublin's 7 daily flights to NYC.

tigger2k8
28th Apr 2018, 22:49
United was too expensive, and it did work. I think one year they carried 90,000 passengers, then it decreased thereafter for whatever reason. I think it would be hard to compete with Dublin's 7 daily flights to NYC.

Expensive and the cost of operating the flight with crew on long serving contracts, hotel, transport... all adds up. Numbers started to decrease 2/3 years before they left when flights reduced in winter followed by suspension for 12 weeks.

owenc
29th Apr 2018, 00:17
So you think the route could’ve worked if they continue d to have it year round?

El Bunto
29th Apr 2018, 06:43
Are we back to the United Newark conversation?

It made money, that was stated uncategorically in public evidence before a committee.

They decided the airframes could make more money on other routes. That's how it works when you rely on a non-local airline that has no vested interest in the community.

VickersVicount
29th Apr 2018, 09:51
How many commerical private owned airline companies provide services purely as a vested interest for the community?

owenc
29th Apr 2018, 10:20
They dumped us and others for transcon.

Copenhagen
29th Apr 2018, 10:45
Oh the crocodile tears from people in this thread complaining that CO ‘dumped us’, when these same people flew long haul from Dublin.

The route was losing money in 2011 - so it’s unfair to say that United didn’t try and maintain the connectivity.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/travel/direct-flights-to-united-states-facing-fresh-threat-28655745.html

With Norwegian unsurprisingly failing to make it work, I can’t see anyone else taking up the route until perhaps EI get the 321LR, and a subsidy. A big subsidy. Oh and a cherry on top of that subsidy. Their Jet blue connectivity in JFK could help the viability.

Fly757X
29th Apr 2018, 12:10
Oh the crocodile tears from people in this thread complaining that CO ‘dumped us’, when these same people flew long haul from Dublin.

The route was losing money in 2011 - so it’s unfair to say that United didn’t try and maintain the connectivity.

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/travel/direct-flights-to-united-states-facing-fresh-threat-28655745.html

With Norwegian unsurprisingly failing to make it work, I can’t see anyone else taking up the route until perhaps EI get the 321LR, and a subsidy. A big subsidy. Oh and a cherry on top of that subsidy. Their Jet blue connectivity in JFK could help the viability.

Keep in mind JetBlue themselves are looking a T/A offerings themselves once they receive the A321LRs.

West Brit
29th Apr 2018, 12:25

Swings and roundabouts, when an airline sees a chance to make its route more viable in can cry fowl. Hence a reduction in APD. Sure we were told the BA shuttle service to LHR was losing millions for years, reason so as BA could scale it back!

PPRuNeUser0176
29th Apr 2018, 13:22
Keep in mind JetBlue themselves are looking a T/A offerings themselves once they receive the A321LRs.

While I think they are the best bed, they said last week they need a good J product to make the A321 viable so to work they need to fill J.

EI-BUD
29th Apr 2018, 13:48
Good grief, there is no mistique here, airlines are commercial enterprises, they maximise revenue and need to make a sustainable return. They are accountable to shareholders. Simples. Whether United made a profit or not, the reality is that the profit / yield was not to their liking, and they exited. The market is to leisure focused and extremely seasonal. That's it in a nutshell.

Norwegian while it can stimulate demand, it only is point to point. So in a sense not exactly what the airport needs.

​​​​​​Virgin have been acutely aware of the seasonal factor and as a result been building the service to be in a limited basis and now it has been extended. Hopefully they can earn a sustainable return across all months.

NWSRG
29th Apr 2018, 14:56
MAN has a hybrid operation: "hoilday routes" to MCO (10 weekly or thereabouts) with BGI & LAS both 2 weekly. "Business routes" to JFK and ATL daily (both appear to be 4 weekly in winter) with summer seasonal on MAN-SFO 3 weekly and MAN-BOS 2 weekly (though the primary focus for SFO and BOS may be holiday traffic, the hope is that hi-tech links between SFO and MAN based compnanies can get it to also become year-round as they are attempting to garner corporate traffic).

Good point Ringwayman. So there's hope! Do they use the same aircraft on both types of route or do they share some of the LHR 'business' fleet?

Copenhagen
29th Apr 2018, 15:27
Belfast - North America is a predominantly outbound market, and Jet Blue have zero brand recognition in Northern Ireland. They will struggle to make the route work without significant investment.

They would be more likely to launch a Dublin, Edinburgh and Amsterdam, which have strong inbound, year round flows.

Norwegian had low brand recognition on both sides of the BFS - North America market, and with unknown secondary airport choices and no feed, meant that the route was going to fail from day one.

The only semi semi viable options are United returning, or a DL/VS 752 operation. Anyone else will only work with a huge incentive guarantee.

toledoashley
29th Apr 2018, 16:07
The 321LR is clearly the right sort of aircraft for a transatlantic from Belfast. The JetBlue product is ready to go, they just need the aircraft. With Level also touting the 321’s - would they (IAG) be any less well known than Level?

Alteagod
29th Apr 2018, 17:52
Maybe Primera and add a few sun routes as well

owenc
29th Apr 2018, 19:33
Belfast - North America is a predominantly outbound market, and Jet Blue have zero brand recognition in Northern Ireland. They will struggle to make the route work without significant investment.

They would be more likely to launch a Dublin, Edinburgh and Amsterdam, which have strong inbound, year round flows.

Norwegian had low brand recognition on both sides of the BFS - North America market, and with unknown secondary airport choices and no feed, meant that the route was going to fail from day one.

The only semi semi viable options are United returning, or a DL/VS 752 operation. Anyone else will only work with a huge incentive guarantee.
Please tell me anywhere in the European Continent that Jetblue has good brand recognition.

owenc
29th Apr 2018, 19:34
Clearly the route didn't work given that United axed the service last year. BFS-EWR was also one of United's cheapest UK/Ireland routes, with economy fares regularly £150-£200 below United's services from BHX, MAN and other airports. I know of several people who self-connected at BFS as it was cheaper than flying direct from MAN or BHX.

From 2006-2011 Continental carried over 100,000 annual pax on the route. From 2012-2016 United carried approx 80,000 annual pax.

To some extent perhaps, but there were multiple daily flights from DUB throughout the route's existence.

The route was only seasonal in 2015; United resumed year-round flights in 2016, showing United couldn't make the route work year-long without the additional funding promised by Stormont.

Continental stated at the time that the route was only viable in the long term with a load factor of over 80% (which is approx 98,000 pax), meaning passenger figures suggest BFS-EWR was viable from the route's inception in 2005 until 2011. However, the route's financial performance was likely marginal during this period, given that Continental were planning to axe the route in 2011 unless APD was cut.

From 2012 to 2014, the route carried on average 83,000 pax, and fell to 69,258 when the route went seasonal in 2015. When the route returned to year-round in 2016, United handled 79,042 pax. United went to Stormont in 2016 to request additional funding, meaning that the route was clearly still marginal in 2016 despite 2011 APD reductions and other funding from Stormont throughout the route's existence.

Aer Lingus will not be operating transatlantic flights from BFS, unless of course they completely tear up their current business strategy.

Not my experience. I paid £400 extra for the privilege of flying me and another individual Directly from Belfast in June 2016. I also always noticed that it was quite a bit more expensive any other dates that I checked.

tigger2k8
29th Apr 2018, 19:54
So you think the route could’ve worked if they continue d to have it year round?

No, considering numbers dropped to around 60-100 during this time of year, I don't believe they would have been profitable / worthwhile running the aircraft on this route when they could just use it elsewhere

Originally Posted by Speedhawk https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/599764-belfast-international-2-a-post10133287.html#post10133287)
The route was only seasonal in 2015; United resumed year-round flights in 2016, showing United couldn't make the route work year-long without the additional funding promised by Stormont.

2015 and 2016 they suspended the route, 2017 the service stopped.

29Alpha
29th Apr 2018, 20:27
The 321LR is clearly the right sort of aircraft for a transatlantic from Belfast. The JetBlue product is ready to go, they just need the aircraft. With Level also touting the 321’s - would they (IAG) be any less well known than Level?
a321lr would be just the same level as the 73 max, albeit 30 more bums, no buisness or frieght, no mainstream carrier will startup on pax alone these days, ua into and out of bfs regularly had business well filled and cargo in and out

True Blue
29th Apr 2018, 21:31
When does the second Jet2 737-800 take up duty in Bfs?

Copenhagen
29th Apr 2018, 22:06
Please tell me anywhere in the European Continent that Jetblue has good brand recognition.

nowhere, that’s why they need to focus on cities with US origin demand, of which Belfast isn’t one.

GAZMO
30th Apr 2018, 09:26
Does anyone know LF for today’s first flight to Funchal?

29Alpha
30th Apr 2018, 15:40
136, dunno bout return leg

GAZMO
30th Apr 2018, 17:22
for information
https://nitravelnews.com/news/jet2-com-and-jet2holidays-kicks-off-bumper-summer-2018/

pwalhx
2nd May 2018, 16:18
Belfast to Doha in future? See final paragraph.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-qatar-airways-britain/qatar-airways-would-back-any-iag-norwegian-takeover-ceo-idUSKBN1I31JQ?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ae9de3704d3012879517da9&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

29Alpha
2nd May 2018, 19:02
Belfast to Doha in future? See final paragraph.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-qatar-airways-britain/qatar-airways-would-back-any-iag-norwegian-takeover-ceo-idUSKBN1I31JQ?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5ae9de3704d3012879517da9&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter
funny one, we are getting nothing like that at the moment, not even a sniff of a widebody transatlantic currently, business travellers are the key and they all have to go England or the republic of ireland

PDXCWL45
2nd May 2018, 19:44
funny one, we are getting nothing like that at the moment, not even a sniff of a widebody transatlantic currently, business travellers are the key and they all have to go England or the republic of ireland
Transatlantic and Middle East are completely different just look at Newcastle as an example of an airport losing USA but having a very good ME3 route. It'll probably be a case of when and not if Qatar turn up in Northern Ireland.

Alteagod
2nd May 2018, 19:47
Looks like EZY has killed the Eastern flights from BhD to IOM and NCL..

snn20
2nd May 2018, 20:05
Been operating under the Flybe franchise ever since Eastern started operating for Flybe

lfc84
3rd May 2018, 07:48

EZY hasnt started

Alteagod
3rd May 2018, 08:07
Yes i am fully aware hence the date 12th June

West Brit
3rd May 2018, 08:26
I am sure BFS will pick up some folk from IOM connecting to European flights, especially during the peak English holiday season.

SealinkBF
3rd May 2018, 09:08
EZY are only flying twice a week... seems odd that BHD used to sustain multiple daily flights to IOM.

SealinkBF
3rd May 2018, 09:42
Transatlantic and Middle East are completely different just look at Newcastle as an example of an airport losing USA but having a very good ME3 route. It'll probably be a case of when and not if Qatar turn up in Northern Ireland.

Qatar are coming.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-02/qatar-airways-looks-at-loaning-wide-body-jets-to-british-airways?utm_source=google&utm_medium=bd&cmpId=google (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-02/qatar-airways-looks-at-loaning-wide-body-jets-to-british-airways?utm_source=google&utm_medium=bd&cmpId=google)

29Alpha
3rd May 2018, 11:10
Qatar are coming.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-05-02/qatar-airways-looks-at-loaning-wide-body-jets-to-british-airways?utm_source=google&utm_medium=bd&cmpId=google
i smell something, oh yes its b###sh#t😂😂

GAZMO
3rd May 2018, 14:43
Some wit has posted on wiki that KLM staring from BFS from 28 October......well it is wiki

owenc
3rd May 2018, 16:03
EZY are only flying twice a week... seems odd that BHD used to sustain multiple daily flights to IOM.
Really, what size of aircraft? I can't imagine too much of a demand from Belfast to the Isle of Man.

GAZMO
3rd May 2018, 23:00
from nitravelnews https://nitravelnews.com/news/belfast-doha-qatar-airlines-service-on-the-horizon/

BHD2BFS
3rd May 2018, 23:12
Potentially Qatar could shake things up.
Would it be in IAG’s benefit to have both airlines at one airport? Not that they don’t own Qatar unless I am mistaken.

several different outcomes. EI leave NI and BA move to BFS with arrive of Qatar?
Maybe Qatar and Ba at Bfs would entice American Airlines to try an American route?
Maybe with not curfew bigger planes to LHR less freq and LGW is used to feed Pax?
who knows

PDXCWL45
3rd May 2018, 23:19
Potentially Qatar could shake things up.
Would it be in IAG’s benefit to have both airlines at one airport? Not that they don’t own Qatar unless I am mistaken.

several different outcomes. EI leave NI and BA move to BFS with arrive of Qatar?
Maybe Qatar and Ba at Bfs would entice American Airlines to try an American route?
Maybe with not curfew bigger planes to LHR less freq and LGW is used to feed Pax?
who knows
Qatar Airways has a 20% share in IAG.

Plane.Silly
4th May 2018, 08:50
Qatar rumours gaining momentum. Now the boss has hinted it's on the cards, as they look to expand further into the UK

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/05/04/news/qatar-airways-boss-hints-at-belfast-doha-link-1320688/

EGAC is Better
4th May 2018, 16:24
Qatar rumours gaining momentum. Now the boss has hinted it's on the cards, as they look to expand further into the UK

https://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/05/04/news/qatar-airways-boss-hints-at-belfast-doha-link-1320688/

In a normal world, it would be hugely surpising to see that start before the A321NEO’s join the QR fleet. They would probably be the sweet spot for taking a punt on a new routes to smaller cities.

However, in today’s world that has QR parking aircraft and talking about reducing frequencies to lease aircraft to BA...anything could happen.

emma1
5th May 2018, 12:36
Security Shambles today ! Major airport I think not !

SecondDog
5th May 2018, 14:27

such a troll.

True Blue
5th May 2018, 14:36
See they have an apology on BBC for delays at security

bongoo
5th May 2018, 14:59
such a troll.
For stating the truth.?

SecondDog
5th May 2018, 15:29
For stating the truth.?
Depends on your perspective. Security was actually well planned this morning so it wasn't a shambles. I won't go into why it didn't work because it isn't really what trolls are interested in, they just want to rant or make definitive statements without perhaps all the context.

EGAC is Better
5th May 2018, 16:26

It is regularly a shambles to be frank. The last few weeks, even the priorty queue has been back at the barcode scanner at the times I’ve been through.

From the BBC article:
”Earlier this week, Belfast International Airport urged passengers "to allow two hours to process through Central Search before heading to Airside departure gates".

Its Head of Security, Nabeel Gill, said it was "dealing with unprecedented numbers at the airport, which means it will take extra time to reach departure gates".“

How about no, instead sort out your mess. Peoples travel days are already long enough without having to add two hours because the airport can’t handle the traffic it has worked so hard to generate.

So as not to just sound like a rant with no solutions...as a customer I can see clearly two things that need to change:

1. Dedicated areas for people to pack up again
2. Staff patrolling and moving on those people who stand and re-dress as the trays exit scanners all while blocking others from passing through.

panpanpanpan
5th May 2018, 16:58
Belfast International Airport apologises over security delays - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44015660)

2 hours to get through does seem a bit much, any time I have travelled through the London airports security is usually slick and professional. Think its fair to say they would be marginally busier than Antrim International!

In their defence though, its nice weather in Norn Iron for a change, bank holiday weekend as well. Perhaps a few sickies amongst security staff coupled with all flights at max capacity?

EGAC is Better
5th May 2018, 17:59
In their defence though, its nice weather in Norn Iron for a change, bank holiday weekend as well. Perhaps a few sickies amongst security staff coupled with all flights at max capacity?

There is an argument that should also have been planned for. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise if all flights were full.

owenc
5th May 2018, 19:22
It was 24c here in London today, I would not class 17c as nice.

I hope that this does not have a knock on this evenings flights.

tigger2k8
5th May 2018, 23:42
There is an argument that should also have been planned for. It shouldn’t have come as a surprise if all flights were full.

In a business world this doesn't make sense..

SecondDog
6th May 2018, 09:12

Finally, a sane voice amongst the madness.......

El Bunto
6th May 2018, 10:16

Of course it makes sense. If you can't or won't scale to handle demand in the peak season then the demand shifts to somewhere that can, like the big aerodrome 100 miles down the road.

It makes sense to spend money to make money. It doesn't make sense to hold money and lose money as a result. This applies to any service-based enterprise.

tigger2k8
6th May 2018, 11:29
Of course it makes sense. If you can't or won't scale to handle demand in the peak season then the demand shifts to somewhere that can, like the big aerodrome 100 miles down the road.

It makes sense to spend money to make money. It doesn't make sense to hold money and lose money as a result. This applies to any service-based enterprise.

Afraid not, businesses, at least in the airport... will adjust staff numbers per day / shift / seasonal / sickness* (talking about long term, or at least some notice given), but no business will over staff on paper just to cover potential sick calls for good weather, and that is what we are talking about. Managers / Supervisors etc will ask staff if they can come in on a day off to help etc.. but people have lives, have plans.. and need days off.. so when it comes to short notice sick calls, there isn't much that can be done to adjust start times / days on short notice.. I believe it is 24 hrs notice for start time changes.

The CAA has changed the goal posts A LOT in the last 6 months, with the new procedures that MUST be followed, it does slow everything down, there was a visit just 2 weeks ago, which yet again, added more workload and required more staff.. 20-30 staff have left in the last few months, some long term.. and they can't replace and get someone up to speed in a week....out of the 50 that they advertised, they will probably lose 10 in the first month due to pay / shifts / workload. At the minute, they are in second place for staff turnover at the airport, Swissport being first.

I don't work at the airport anymore, but I pass through BHD / BFS multiple times per month, and I have seen the change in what the staff are expected to do.. add it all in with a busy weekend and no doubt, i would put an estimate on up to 20% of passengers did not follow the basic rules before walking through the metal detector / allowing items to go through x-ray... it was going to happen.. now hopefully they can sit down and work it out and have the staff in place before end of June.

You can't compare BFS to DUB... DUB has far more traffic, bound by different regulations for security (these may be more or less strict, i don't know), better technology and flow, no doubt the security contract is more lucrative and means they can have more staff etc

SecondDog
6th May 2018, 11:40

I think you have gone off at the wrong tangent. Someone above mentioned that staff 'sickness' had affected things yesterday and you stated that they should plan for this. I think planning for the possibility that some staff might happen to go sick by having additional people on site ready to take their place is not practical in a business sense. As it happens, there is a plan to call in replacements but that all takes time and people who can fulfil the role are a finite resource (and you have to leave enough to follow on after). Of course there are other aspects of all this that could be improved (to avoid or diminish the potential for the staff absence) but I wish people would have a titter of wit and not just label the airport as a shambles. All that does is dishearten the good people who actually did a really good job yesterday in a very hard circumstance. Put the blame on the low wage culture that is driven by the low cost models of modern business culture. After all, that is the reason that the people who should have been there are not invested enough in their job to put in the effort to attend.

PPRuNeUser0176
6th May 2018, 12:54
You can't compare BFS to DUB... DUB has far more traffic, bound by different regulations for security (these may be more or less strict, i don't know), better technology and flow, no doubt the security contract is more lucrative and means they can have more staff etc

Minor point but I'm sure security is not contracted out by the daa because they get fines if they don't meet targets.

2 hours is just down to bad planning especially on a bank holiday.

SecondDog
6th May 2018, 14:01

No it wasn't. It is far to easy to make a blasé statement like that. That is half the problem. The airport had put additonal measures in place and were let down by a contractor. Of course there is no explaining that to the public, they just see an airport and can't understand why arriving at 0615 for a 0700 flight is madness (for example). Now I expect to see that from the gen pop. but I had expected you guys on here to understand the realistic picture a bit more.

EGAC is Better
6th May 2018, 14:27
No it wasn't. It is far to easy to make a blasé statement like that. That is half the problem. The airport had put additonal measures in place and were let down by a contractor. Of course there is no explaining that to the public, they just see an airport and can't understand why arriving at 0615 for a 0700 flight is madness (for example). Now I expect to see that from the gen pop. but I had expected you guys on here to understand the realistic picture a bit more.

I understand that things go wrong but it must have been planned on a shoestring if, as you say, a few people failed to turn up and it caused a mess.

There is also a bigger picture here. How much revenue did the airport lose as a result of people standing in security queues? eg. What if all those people were going to spend £5 each airside and didn’t get a chance because they were stuck in a queue? Its bad news.

You have to invest to make money and that, from a regular travellers perspective, just doesn’t appear to be happening.

Is anything being done to protect the priority security lines during these busy times? Or, are they also being swamped by people paying at the top of the stairs? I have an annual pass for fast track for a reason...that reason is so I can turn up with minimal time before my flight and reasonably expect to make it. If that reason goes away, I will re-assess whether or not to move my business to City where possible. That is also bad news if a percentage of the regulars who provide a constant revenue stream start to think the same way.

I have little sympathy for the managers whise job it is to organise this stuff. I work in an industry where systems redundancy is a key part of business strategy. There is no excuse for an airport making record profits to skrimp on a relative few quid to make sure this doesn’t happen.

mart901
6th May 2018, 15:06
I'm sure BFS will learn from this. I don't buy the argument about DUB though, not so many years ago their security lines were horrendous with people queuing for over 1 hour even 2 at times I've seen it myself. Its what happens when demand outstrips supply, BFS has had a lot of growth in a short space of time, last summer I was sharing a table with 3 other sets of people, some were sat on the floor it was that crowded in there, DUB had the same issues before terminal 2, FR expansion resulted in a facility way too small..

tigger2k8
6th May 2018, 15:26
Minor point but I'm sure security is not contracted out by the daa because they get fines if they don't meet targets.

There is only so much planning you can do with a lack of available / skilled staff and procedures change not to mention working time regulations, I feel like this point has been overlooked already in my post.

Its not like hiring someone for a shop that can start in a week..

I understand that things go wrong but it must have been planned on a shoestring if, as you say, a few people failed to turn up and it caused a mess.

Is anything being done to protect the priority security lines during these busy times? Or, are they also being swamped by people paying at the top of the stairs? I have an annual pass for fast track for a reason...that reason is so I can turn up with minimal time before my flight and reasonably expect to make it. If that reason goes away, I will re-assess whether or not to move my business to City where possible. That is also bad news if a percentage of the regulars who provide a constant revenue stream start to think the same way.

I wish the airport world worked the way most people expect... everything in contract terms to do with low cost blah blah is run to the line... Swissport do the same, SSP do the same, ICTS do the same... consumers want cheap flights.. this is the consequences... easyJet wanted extremely cheap handling and moved to Swissport 4 years ago.. now there is a monopoly.. and the only choice is Swissport for passenger flights.... which in busy times means poor service.

The Airport and ICTS did warn people before the incident.. and I do believe that the timing of this was a few days after the CAA audit.. which moved the goal posts again which required more staff to meet requirements.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/belfast-international-airport-bosses-call-14599147

Playing with fire using a priority pass for that reason... I know the mindset you are using.. I am guilty of hoping for the same if I am on a tight schedule.. but its risky.... it was only swamped due to desperation for a period of a few hours.

Refer to the T&Cs of the priority pass
https://www.belfastairport.com/media/4477/priority-security-lane-tcs.pdf

While 99% of the time it'll be fine, its the 1% that will catch you out..

Hopefully things will get sorted in the next few weeks and since it was out in the media about the delays.. people will leave extra time.. if they don't over the next few weeks I have no sympathy.. I will be allowing an extra 30-40 mins over the next few weeks.

True Blue
6th May 2018, 16:35
I see they are trying to recruit another 50 for security. However, at the current level of unemployment we have, that will not be easy, especially a job on minimum everything. Staff turnover is a very expensive game. If they want to recruit and retain, I'm afraid they will be forced to improve the package, otherwise this will happen often especially now that the airport is very busy. When you are passing through it, as I do often, it is noticeably busier.

Alteagod
6th May 2018, 16:52
Lets just back the buss up there lads. Airlines want everything for next to nothing including handling then move the goal posts during the contract period putting more pressure on GHA's the world over. Swissport is not a monopoly at at BFS or indeed BHD. CCS is a GHA they just dont have any contracts at BHD. Menzies for example walked away from BHD having got the heads up that NY pulling out and EI contract going to Swissport. The same in BFS. If the carrier is contracted to a GHA and it moves into BFS who is to say DNATA for example dont move in or Menzies comes back.

EGAC is Better
6th May 2018, 17:05
I see they are trying to recruit another 50 for security. However, at the current level of unemployment we have, that will not be easy, especially a job on minimum everything. Staff turnover is a very expensive game. If they want to recruit and retain, I'm afraid they will be forced to improve the package, otherwise this will happen often especially now that the airport is very busy. When you are passing through it, as I do often, it is noticeably busier.

Totally agree. Staff attrition is a costly business and if it means people need to be treated better, that must happen otherwise bad things happen.

I do somewhat agree that it is playing with fire tigger2k8 (If I’m at the airport less than an hour before my flight I am running late) but I also do believe the airport has a duty, in these exceptional circumstances, to add some protection for those who do travel regularly for business and have paid an annual fee for services including fast track. It leaves a sour taste in the mouth to be told I should get up earlier to accomodate poor management because the airport can’t handle the start of the bucket and spade season.

All these customer cannot have been a surprise...management need to front up and find a way to deal with it even if it means flying in people from elsewhere temporariliy.

PPRuNeUser0176
6th May 2018, 17:44

Passengers may be partly to blame but I fail to see what sort of planning they put in place which left them down and ended up with 2 hour queues. How many lanes were operating on Saturday?

The CEO should of called BHD to send up some staff!!!

There is only so much planning you can do with a lack of available / skilled staff and procedures change not to mention working time regulations, I feel like this point has been overlooked already in my post.

Its not like hiring someone for a shop that can start in a week..

I agree somewhat. Given the capacity growth this summer, planning should have been better and started earlier. Its the first weekend of the main summer schedule and it will only get busier. The problem here is if the above link is accurate 2 hours is nothing short of disgraceful. A long security queue typically is 30-45 minutes.

I hope BFS is not going into a period of low fees to driver passengers and fail to put adequate infrastructure in place.

Recruitment should of started at the latest by January.

tigger2k8
6th May 2018, 17:44
Lets just back the buss up there lads. Airlines want everything for next to nothing including handling then move the goal posts during the contract period putting more pressure on GHA's the world over. Swissport is not a monopoly at at BFS or indeed BHD. CCS is a GHA they just dont have any contracts at BHD. Menzies for example walked away from BHD having got the heads up that NY pulling out and EI contract going to Swissport. The same in BFS. If the carrier is contracted to a GHA and it moves into BFS who is to say DNATA for example dont move in or Menzies comes back.

Can you explain to me how Swissport does not have the monopoly at BFS and BHD, especially in the passenger market?

Swissport took an aggressive stance on GH in BFS and BHD 4 years ago, they undercut to push other handlers out with the intention of increasing prices at renewals.

Any new handling agent will need millions of pounds in investment from equipment, office space, training... it could take years before a profit is turned, if the contract gets renewed... a risk that not many are willing to take.

Passengers may be partly to blame but I fail to see what sort of planning they put in place which left them down and ended up with 2 hour queues. One person off sick couldn't of caused such a mess. How many lanes were operating on Saturday?

The CEO should of called BHD to send up some staff!!!

I believe up to 6 were finally opened..

Not sure if the CEO question is genuine or not?

G4S runs security at BHD, ICTS at BFS. So not an option, even if it was ICTS at BHD the process to get someone up in short notice and to get the relevant passes isn't easy / fast.. especially at the weekend.

29Alpha
6th May 2018, 18:37
swissport undercut menzies by a huge amount, namely 1.6 million per year. The fact that they are still handling is because of a likley clause. They have had 2 90 day and a 60 day improvement notices to buck their trend but know they can't be put out until someone makes themselves available eg, can put up a certain million of pounds in equipment and material

Alteagod
6th May 2018, 20:16
Mere warning shots across the bow. Every handler gets those just to keep you on your toes. Now 30 days notice thats the biggey. Thats the clear off lads and let someone else have a go... for cheaper again.

29Alpha
6th May 2018, 20:33
Improvement notices come first then performance notices come next, as i said ezy wont give them the final notice till or if another handler becomes available

PPRuNeUser0176
6th May 2018, 21:58
I believe up to 6 were finally opened..

Not sure if the CEO question is genuine or not?

G4S runs security at BHD, ICTS at BFS. So not an option, even if it was ICTS at BHD the process to get someone up in short notice and to get the relevant passes isn't easy / fast.. especially at the weekend.

6 is quiet a lot given typical passenger volume, could one assume there was prehaps only 2 maybe 3 open which lead to the build up. They could have probally processed everybody with 4-5 if they opened from the start.

The CEO question wasn't. Gi

SecondDog
6th May 2018, 23:01
6 is quiet a lot given typical passenger volume, could one assume there was prehaps only 2 maybe 3 open which lead to the build up. They could have probally processed everybody with 4-5 if they opened from the start.

The CEO question wasn't. Gi

This just shows how the general view of it being a shambles is based on no knowledge of what was planned or what the scale of the let-down was.

That was the reason I suggested above that people are taking the problem out of context.

Trust me, the airport had scheduled enough lanes from early enough to manage the high volume of Sat morning departures. That these lanes were not available was the problem (and as has been made pretty clear already, this was from a contractor not being able to staff adequately to meet the requirement)

I realise the plain and simple nature of the problem is not quite juicy enough for some of you but there you have it.

milleriom
7th May 2018, 06:48
This just shows how the general view of it being a shambles is based on no knowledge of what was planned or what the scale of the let-down was.

That was the reason I suggested above that people are taking the problem out of context.

Trust me, the airport had scheduled enough lanes from early enough to manage the high volume of Sat morning departures. That these lanes were not available was the problem (and as has been made pretty clear already, this was from a contractor not being able to staff adequately to meet the requirement)

I realise the plain and simple nature of the problem is not quite juicy enough for some of you but there you have it.

I think that is far too complacent a view, SecondDog.

The fact is that you cannot simply point the finger of blame at ''a contractor not being able to staff adequately to meet the requirement''. This is a key aspect and responsibility matter of airport management and it is to them that pax should look in the event of any issues at all.

The fact that there is an outsourced contract for security - as is normal at airports - does do not let the airport off any hook whatsoever. There are contracts in force which will specify in minute detail the service standards required of the provider and the penalties for not meeting them. Such matters are called ''Service Level Agreements'' (''SLAs'').

Instead of defending or trying to excuse the Airport in regard to the indefensible (when it has quite rightly been called a shambles - and on a number of occasions too) the appropriate thing for you would be to accept that there is an important issue which requires to be addressed. I believe that the key thing would be to ask what the airport has done and is doing about enforcing the service level agreement standards with the contractor. Service Standards which must be at all times WHOLLY suitable and adequate.

To try and excuse the airport is ridiculous.

West Brit
7th May 2018, 08:46
Having travelled through many airports over recent years. I find the security at BFS to be the slowest and most frustrating even off peak. So this is no surprise that the system collapses. They would need to get their act together. It's a no brainer I mean the more time spent in security the more pissed off passengers become and for every minute that a passenger is delayed in security is one minute less they will have time to spend money in the airport!

SecondDog
7th May 2018, 09:51
I think that is far too complacent a view, SecondDog.

The fact is that you cannot simply point the finger of blame at ''a contractor not being able to staff adequately to meet the requirement''. This is a key aspect and responsibility matter of airport management and it is to them that pax should look in the event of any issues at all.

The fact that there is an outsourced contract for security - as is normal at airports - does do not let the airport off any hook whatsoever. There are contracts in force which will specify in minute detail the service standards required of the provider and the penalties for not meeting them. Such matters are called ''Service Level Agreements'' (''SLAs'').

Instead of defending or trying to excuse the Airport in regard to the indefensible (when it has quite rightly been called a shambles - and on a number of occasions too) the appropriate thing for you would be to accept that there is an important issue which requires to be addressed. I believe that the key thing would be to ask what the airport has done and is doing about enforcing the service level agreement standards with the contractor. Service Standards which must be at all times WHOLLY suitable and adequate.

To try and excuse the airport is ridiculous.

Your knowledge of what an SLA is puts things in a whole new light there..... thanks!

So, when I said the airport had planned what was needed and the contractor let them down (very much at the 11th hour btw) what part of the fact that such provision is covered by an SLA that will allow the airport to roast the contractor after the fact means that the blame falls on the airport at 0400 when a number of people have reported sick for provision that is put in place for 0430?

I don't know if any of you know anything about the marketplace for provision of security at an airport but it is not plentiful. Nor is it something that can be changed at the drop of a hat. So while you are correct, the airport will review the events of the day with the contractor (and I expect these talks to have been full and frank to say the least) there are limited short term options as to what can be done.

Sure, all you guys who think you know all about aviation think you could do better/know better. Well, I call claptrap. Airport mgmt is entirely blameless when they have given instruction and it hasn't been followed. I also feel sorry for the contractor btw (or at least the decent staff) who get dealt a ****ty hand at best and who actually pulled things around on Saturday morning in a way which I cannot be bothered explaining because you guys would still run them down.

There are lots of ****ty comments about the security in BFS and how 'it is the worst anywhere'. I would say that some of the knowledge behind some of those opinions is flimsy at best. Did you ever think that some of the other places you go to aren't doing it right? I am fully aware that there are issues to overcome but they do not amount to the carnage you guys have described.

This will be my last post on this topic as we seem to go round in circles but such is your right to rage and mine to rebuff. C'est la vie, et la vie est belle.

True Blue
7th May 2018, 10:00
Sadly we work in a country where in excess of 70% of employees are not engaged with their employer. It is just a job, no loyalty. What can the contractor or airport do if , at the last minute, some not very committed staff call in at the last minute sick? You might say improve the package, not that easy when the pax going through security are the same people demanding lowest possible fares.

All sorts of issus, all linked, not quickly or easily resolved.

emma1
7th May 2018, 10:00
It is the worst in the UK . Just ask the DFT , they got through security with the wrong pass and were not challenged by anyone . SHAMBLES

SWBKCB
7th May 2018, 10:10
Airport mgmt is entirely blameless when they have given instruction and it hasn't been followed

You don't outsource the responsibility when you outsource the task - so airport management is entirely responsible for the failure of the contractor.

panpanpanpan
7th May 2018, 10:31
I can remember many years ago going through Harbour and all the staff were employed by Harbour Airport. There was a definite interest in making sure the passenger experience was happy as a complaint to management was going to be actioned. I believe Aldergrove may well have been the same perhaps? As far as I know now Harbour use Mitie for security?

Then along came the bean counters, suddenly outsourcing was the way forward. They knew the cost of everything but the value of nothing. Contracts were pared to the bone and beyond, workers terms and conditions were eroded, old company pensions are now just the bare legal minimum that a company can get away with. Result? Simple, you now have a workforce that couldn't give a toss, its just a job. They have no loyalty whatsoever, and who can blame them, as they can simply get another minimum wage job elsewhere. You have local management that couldn't give a toss, if 10 of your minimum wage staff workers walk away just pop down to the local recruitment agency and get a few more. Meanwhile, the security company wants a huge profit on the contract, the recruitment agency wants a cut on supplying workers, the snag is the airport wants the same service and better than it had when it employed the workers directly. But, it wants to pay less than it did originally because the bean counters said outsourcing was the future!

Or am I just being cynical?

inOban
7th May 2018, 11:40
No. You're not.

An idea. We all know that managing fluctuating demand is expensive. Airlines do this by dynamic pricing - if you must travel at a peak time of the day/week/year you will pay for that. Why don't the airport and its subcontractors do the same? If you schedule your aircraft at a time when the airport is quieter, then your fees to the airport and the handlers will be lower. If your pax insist on flying on a bank holiday weekend, then some of the expensive fare will go to the airport.

PPRuNeUser0176
7th May 2018, 11:41

Poorly worded on my part. My lanes comment was taken out of context and I was not referring to the airport not allowing enough lands to open but more general view had prehaps 4 been opened all along they would of not needed to eventually staff 6.

While the major problem lies with the contractor, the airport have a role to play as they were the ones who set the contract (Terms etc) and the ones who will get the brunt of the public's anger, airline pressue and reputation damage.

SecondDog
7th May 2018, 17:08
You don't outsource the responsibility when you outsource the task - so airport management is entirely responsible for the failure of the contractor.

Only on the face of things. What we are discussing here is the actual events of the failure.

SecondDog
7th May 2018, 17:17
Poorly worded on my part. My lanes comment was taken out of context and I was not referring to the airport not allowing enough lands to open but more general view had prehaps 4 been opened all along they would of not needed to eventually staff 6.

While the major problem lies with the contractor, the airport have a role to play as they were the ones who set the contract (Terms etc) and the ones who will get the brunt of the public's anger, airline pressue and reputation damage.

Aiport had planned for 6 for the planned high volume of pax. Had these been open there would still have been a busy search area, which is why it went so wrong so quickly when they couldn't open more than 2 for a period of time until the recalled staff arrived.

I fully understand that the airport will bear the brunt of the public ire but in a forum such as this I should be able to explain to people what actually happened, rather than have people rail on the airport mgmt, as if they were unprepared or something. That just wasn't the case.

owenc
7th May 2018, 21:13
I think the Fast Track Line isn’t the greatest. Often they will filter people into it when I go through!

True Blue
7th May 2018, 21:48
The issue of security screening is a complex problem with a number of factors contributing. We have already discussed the airport's responsibility and the role of the contractor. Then we have staffing issues. Add to that, airlines that have priced checking in a bag at a level to seriously discourage checking in a bag, passengers who will never learn how to be efficient, rules that are taken over the top by jobs-worths. Now Ryanair has created their own problem, carrying carry on bags for free in the hold, the very thing they have tried to price us out of doing!

A toxic mix that makes air travel now far from enjoyable. I travel through airports in Turkey a lot, never have these issues, even at very busy airports.

SecondDog
7th May 2018, 22:07
I travel through airports in Turkey a lot, never have these issues, even at very busy airports.

As you say, it is complex. As is the experience people build whilst travelling around the world. They often have a snapshot of other airports from their holiday that gives them an unrealistic picture that they use to compare their home airport with.

edited to say that this is a general comment as opposed to your quotation

True Blue
7th May 2018, 22:22
SecondDog

Believe me, I have no unrealistic picture. I have been passing through airports for many years now, maybe up to 30 times a year. It is fair to say I think UK airports in general do a bad job, part of that is an over-the-top approach to screening. Gatwick has improved a lot over the last few years. But I do not agree that it is correct to label Bfs a shambles. We were returning from holidays via Manchester about 4 years ago. The queue for security stretched right outside the terminal to near a car park. Mrs and myself went to check in bags with Ezy and sent our daughters to book a place at the end of that queue. I have an Easyjetplus card and the check-in lady suggested that I ask if all of us could get through the priority queue for security. They kindly agreed to this request and we had to telephone our daughters to come back in, they were so far outside we couldn't see them. I reckon it could have taken 2 hours to get through security that day and all lanes were open as far as I can remember.

But are the powers that be thinking about these issues? Because as airports get even busier, many will not have the space to create even bigger search areas.

SealinkBF
8th May 2018, 11:36
Being not as bad as Manchester is nothing to aspire to.

GAZMO
9th May 2018, 05:07
Caa stats out for March. Slight increase in overall passenger numbers

West Brit
11th May 2018, 22:36
So according to Wikipedia Ernest Airlines are operating Verona. It was Thompson at one stage. Is there a Thompson based aircraft this summer as the Palma flight tomorrow appears to be a 'W' pattern in at 1245 out 1410 unless there are 2 Palma flights on a Saturday and the morning flight is missing from the departures board.

Cozy F
11th May 2018, 22:45
Someone else in the News this week!

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/2561839/frustrated-punters-at-dublin-airport-blast-airlines-as-flights-continue-to-be-delayed-as-chiefs-say-high-winds-causing-the-issue/

Fly757X
12th May 2018, 08:16
So according to Wikipedia Ernest Airlines are operating Verona. It was Thompson at one stage. Is there a Thompson based aircraft this summer as the Palma flight tomorrow appears to be a 'W' pattern in at 1245 out 1410 unless there are 2 Palma flights on a Saturday and the morning flight is missing from the departures board.

No based aircraft as of yet but we will have one from the 18th of May (I think) The Verona flight has always been a TOM but it is chartered by other airlines, last year for instance it was Meridiana.

mart901
12th May 2018, 10:46
Someone else in the News this week!

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/2561839/frustrated-punters-at-dublin-airport-blast-airlines-as-flights-continue-to-be-delayed-as-chiefs-say-high-winds-causing-the-issue/
Also just have a look on social media about Dublin airport security queues, people blasting them over the last month for lanes not open and huge queues

29Alpha
12th May 2018, 12:58
No based aircraft as of yet but we will have one from the 18th of May (I think) The Verona flight has always been a TOM but it is chartered by other airlines, last year for instance it was Meridiana.
sunwing aircraft as usual for thomson, verona run to be done by Air Italy A320

EGAC is Better
16th May 2018, 22:22
Also just have a look on social media about Dublin airport security queues, people blasting them over the last month for lanes not open and huge queues

I went through Dublin T2 at 0530 last Friday morning, it was painless except for the idiot ahead who thought the rules didn’t apply to him. Expectations set by a board before entering search area displaying estimated security transit time of 15 mins. Was through in less.

Credit where it is due, at BFS on Tuesday morning (0730) things were flowing and it was packed. The Fast Track ticket purchase machines were switched off and people told they could not buy because it was too busy. Approx 15 mins to pass through Fast Track lane.

EGAC is Better
16th May 2018, 22:26
sunwing aircraft as usual for thomson, verona run to be done by Air Italy A320

If I’m not mistaken, Air Italy are wet leasing A320’s from Qatar Airways at the minute. Thats a bit of a step up in comfort!

GAZMO
17th May 2018, 06:20
TCX flight from Orlando diverted into BFS this morning
Anyone know the reason why

West Brit
17th May 2018, 06:22
Orlando/LGW on finals now.

SealinkBF
17th May 2018, 10:44
Flying from BFS on Monday and wondering if I need to be there three hours before!

GAZMO
17th May 2018, 10:48
Sealink

Monday always a busy day, plus many extra pax heading to GB after the North West 200 races. Always better to be on the safe side

SealinkBF
17th May 2018, 10:57
Sealink

Monday always a busy day, plus many extra pax heading to GB after the North West 200 races. Always better to be on the safe side

Cheers. Fastrack security is not on sale for my two - three hours before flight too, so an early start it is... (!)

Husky One
17th May 2018, 14:21
Fast track is cheaper purchased at the airport rather than online (there be logic in there somewhere). The machine in the check in hall doesn't seem to take new £1 coins though.

EGAC is Better
17th May 2018, 17:49
Fast track is cheaper purchased at the airport rather than online (there be logic in there somewhere). The machine in the check in hall doesn't seem to take new £1 coins though.

I was told that Fast Track machines were turned off on Tuesday morning because it was too busy. Might be worth checking if that is happening and purchase in advance if it is.

Someone I know almost missed his flight because he could not purchase Fast Track. His own fault, I’d agree but worth being aware of.

SecondDog
17th May 2018, 18:38
TCX flight from Orlando diverted into BFS this morning
Anyone know the reason why

Fuel stop only. No issues.

El Bunto
17th May 2018, 18:44
West Atlantic's newest B738 freighter G-NPTA on the ramp this evening. Stunning colours, could teach 'proper' airlines something about branding. I wonder if Boeing provided some design assistance since it's the first -800 conversion and it has something of their house-colours 'wavyness' to it.

Fuel stop only. No issues.

A bit odd, an A332 can do West Coast USA to London non-stop loaded. Maybe they didn't get a full uplift in Orlando?

SecondDog
17th May 2018, 20:09
West Atlantic's newest B738 freighter G-NPTA on the ramp this evening. Stunning colours, could teach 'proper' airlines something about branding. I wonder if Boeing provided some design assistance since it's the first -800 conversion and it has something of their house-colours 'wavyness' to it.

A bit odd, an A332 can do West Coast USA to London non-stop loaded. Maybe they didn't get a full uplift in Orlando?

je sais pas. As for the Westie, saw it on final approach earlier from Ballyrobin. Agreed, looks well.

El Bunto
17th May 2018, 20:38
Sunwing B738 C-FEAK arrived in just after tea-time tonight from Canada. Presumably for the TUI full-season kick-off tomorrow.

There was also a TUI-bluey B738 doing pilgrimage runs today.

ScotsSLF
18th May 2018, 06:22
je sais pas. As for the Westie, saw it on final approach earlier from Ballyrobin. Agreed, looks well.
Agree - it was training at PIK and one of the best airline liveries I’ve seen in quite some time

El Bunto
18th May 2018, 08:57
B738 G-NPTA doing more back-and-forth training today and then rumoured to be operating the mail service out of Belfast this evening; its first revenue flight since becoming a freighter.

OK it's not that exciting but nice to have something new at Belfast.

SecondDog
18th May 2018, 18:42
B738 G-NPTA doing more back-and-forth training today and then rumoured to be operating the mail service out of Belfast this evening; its first revenue flight since becoming a freighter.

OK it's not that exciting but nice to have something new at Belfast.

careful Bunto, that kind of positivity doesn't go down well on the NI airport threads 😉

29Alpha
18th May 2018, 22:28
Everybody loves a ar5eh0le

EGAC is Better
21st May 2018, 16:13
Social media reports suggest there was another morning of security delays today.

I’ll take it with a pinch of salt unless someone can confirm it happened again? The inconsistency of the occurrences is a bit worrying.

NWSRG
21st May 2018, 19:33
Social media reports suggest there was another morning of security delays today.

There was one picture on Twitter showing the area between the escalators and the doors into security absolutely bunged. And it's not even the holidays yet!

Now it could have been a snapshot, and it may have been almost 400 people heading for Florida, but even so, it doesn't come across well. The airport seems to have been doing mostly good things recently, but this could set it back quite a bit, if it gets such a reputation.

29Alpha
21st May 2018, 21:20
There was one picture on Twitter showing the area between the escalators and the doors into security absolutely bunged. And it's not even the holidays yet!

Now it could have been a snapshot, and it may have been almost 400 people heading for Florida, but even so, it doesn't come across well. The airport seems to have been doing mostly good things recently, but this could set it back quite a bit, if it gets such a reputation.
eh?, airport running a full schedule at the minute so the summer is here! Security 50 or so bods down i believe, offering overtime to stay on apparently, but its only a sticky plaster. I'd love to hear an airport that runs smoothly, it was only last month that the dirty DUB ran out of fuel...........

j636
21st May 2018, 21:36
Source: https://twitter.com/julianoneill/status/998639209601740800

EGAC is Better
21st May 2018, 21:53
Source: https://twitter.com/julianoneill/status/998639209601740800

🤦 Exactly what I didn’t wish to hear

panpanpanpan
21st May 2018, 22:13
I refer back to my post 1112. While I have a degree of sympathy for the airport, it is tempered by the knowledge that they themselves have chosen to go down this route. In their attempt to cut corners and save cash while outsourcing they have chosen the most competitive tender, i.e. the cheapest. This is the end result. An employer that doesn't look after its staff cannot expect any form of staff loyalty or staff that will go the extra mile. You will simply get a high turnover of people that don't give a hoot what flights passengers miss or not, can you blame the security staff on the ground? Not really. The fault goes way further up the ladder, I would suggest as far as the chief bean counters office. You reap what you sow.

A summer of bad publicity will not bode well for the airport or maybe they subscribe to the Ryanair policy - there is no such thing as bad publicity!

UK airports with worst departing flight delays revealed - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44190066)

Oh dear, looks like City is better performance but that may well be because there are decreasing numbers of people using it!

GAZMO
22nd May 2018, 07:18
29 Alpha

The full summer schedule has still to hit BFS. Wait until Jet2 have 4 aircraft departing each morning and afternoon, EZY bring in their new aircraft, BH air up to 3 flights per week, Ernest Air, Luxair !!!!!

Maybe I should camp overnight in departures to avoid the rush

True Blue
22nd May 2018, 11:24
I often wonder at what point does the cost of out-sourcing become greater than doing it yourself, in terms of poor service and all the other issues that arise?

Plane.Silly
22nd May 2018, 13:08
It's like the NHS, a lot of the cost would go to agency workers. If you brought all these people in house, you'd probably get better results, but then you have to pay them year round (or tinker with Fixed term contracts), which is why agency staff can be returned when no longer needed.
I woul.d speculate you'd need half and half. Half to stay permanently, and half for the summer peak. as to the exact figure that would be...thats anyones guess

Straightahead
22nd May 2018, 14:22
The infrastructure has not grown with the large increase in passengers. The building is not big enough and the search area only has 6 lanes hence the problems when its busy. It may be mentioned that more cabin baggage is going through central search than in previous years and less hold baggage being checked in. How things change

EGAC is Better
22nd May 2018, 17:39
For anyone interested, below is direct from the airport regarding the up front or on the day purchase on Fast Track security at the moment.

“we can advise that the option to purchase Priority Security at the airport has been withdrawn and online sales have been restricted at peak times in an effort to manage the expectation of our regular Priority Security customers.”

GAZMO
22nd May 2018, 17:45
Got this promotional email from BFS this morning

Re: ☀️11 things to do on a sunny day in Northern Ireland ☀️

Wonder what number 12 would be?? Enjoying the sunny security check??

29Alpha
22nd May 2018, 21:25
Got this promotional email from BFS this morning

Re: ☀️11 things to do on a sunny day in Northern Ireland ☀️

Wonder what number 12 would be?? Enjoying the sunny security check??
u need help friend

El Bunto
23rd May 2018, 06:17
I often wonder at what point does the cost of out-sourcing become greater than doing it yourself, in terms of poor service and all the other issues that arise?

Outsourcing isn't always about reducing cost, though that often follows. Its great advantage is that it moves 'human assets' from the capital expenditure of the balance sheet to operational expenditure. In other words from fixed costs to variable costs. Which means the risk also shifts, to the contractor.

Which is why it's really hard to revert outsourcing, I've been involved in that process for more than a decade in IT and even if we can show that costs will be lower by bringing back in-house there's still the problem of assuming risk of employing all those people again.

panpanpanpan
23rd May 2018, 14:23
El Bunto - valid points. The irony is that if a company looks after its staff with decent Terms and Conditions and doesn't continually try and shaft them in order for the higher management echelons to get their performance bonus, staff will actually stay! If they are employed with a company that actually looks on them as assets that can be beneficial to the business rather than a business expense that needs to be reduced then loyalty will follow.

How many senior management levels within companies are on the same Terms and Conditions as the Joe Bloggs workers? Not many I would bet, but yet these same management types seem to think it is perfectly acceptable to screw those below in order for those on the higher levels to continue with the perks they believe they deserve. There has been a race to the bottom in past years for ordinary workers, I'm not sure if we have reached the lowest point yet but certainly the gap between those that actually do the work against those that declare themselves directors etc is patently unfair.

Sorry for the rant and thread drift but I think its unfair just to blame the security guys and gals at Aldergrove for the screw ups over the last few weeks. The blame goes further up the tree in my opinion. I have no doubt the proper summer schedule will bring further issues as has already been noted but if I was working a minimum wage job with aggro from both the public and also my bosses would I give a sh*t either? Probably not!

GAZMO
23rd May 2018, 15:54
And the delays continue, but not security this time

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-easyjet-passengers-four-hour-ordeal-because-gatwick-pilot-stuck-in-traffic-36938118.html

emma1
23rd May 2018, 21:03
Thats a crewing issue not a delay

29Alpha
23rd May 2018, 21:25
Thats a crewing issue not a delay
the flight was late to start with, this isn't news.....

DC9_10
23rd May 2018, 22:32
Very strange story to publish when infact the pax who were impacted the most were the EI, operated by ASL airlines did not land into BFS until 04.30 this morning when they should have landed at Harbour 8 hours previous the evening before. Selective journalism I suppose.

SecondDog
23rd May 2018, 22:40
Very strange story to publish when infact the pax who were impacted the most were the EI, operated by ASL airlines did not land into BFS until 04.30 this morning when they should have landed at Harbour 8 hours previous the evening before. Selective journalism I suppose.

You mean the media in Belfast would emphasise a 'delay' relating to a BFS plane rather than one from BHD, and wouldn't even mention that the BHD plane was able to land in BFS eventually to get the people on the right island when BHD was under curfew? (Sorry I can't find a fake shock emoji)

EI-A330-300
23rd May 2018, 22:52
EI delay was French ATC well publicized in the media. The performance by Easyjet was a complete disaster, surly a reshuffle of ops should have been possible? Yes they were also likely heavily impacted by ATC as well but I guess it comes down to how you manage it.

DC9_10
23rd May 2018, 23:47
Well isn't it great that we have a facility capable of 24 hours a day operations to "manage" those events.

EI-A330-300
24th May 2018, 00:19
Well isn't it great that we have a facility capable of 24 hours a day operations to "manage" those events.

Its wonderful, just a shame they are not capable of getting other basic things right.

i'm sure BA/KL will all benefit with the pending move to BFS....

West Brit
24th May 2018, 06:47
Well at least BFS hasn't run out of fuel! Now that is pathetic.

BFS watcher
24th May 2018, 08:59
EI delay was French ATC well publicized in the media. The performance by Easyjet was a complete disaster, surly a reshuffle of ops should have been possible? Yes they were also likely heavily impacted by ATC as well but I guess it comes down to how you manage it.

At least EasyJet tried to run a full schedule rather than just cancelling a lot of flights......more worrying for the Shamrock was only 61 passengers on that flight!

29Alpha
24th May 2018, 09:40
very smart, they can reshuffle flights to suit bfs customers only, wise up, sure they will make sure there's no accidents on the roads too.

AerRyan
24th May 2018, 09:52
Nice to see nothings changed!

EI-A330-300
24th May 2018, 10:11
Well at least BFS hasn't run out of fuel! Now that is pathetic.

Well the fuel pump fault was not at the airport, fuel was only restricted but I guess BFS isn't busy enough to ever run short.

BFS have sat back and watch the security mess created over 6 months

At least EasyJet tried to run a full schedule rather than just cancelling a lot of flights......more worrying for the Shamrock was only 61 passengers on that flight!

Everybody tries to run a full schedule but its not possible.

very smart, they can reshuffle flights to suit bfs customers only, wise up, sure they will make sure there's no accidents on the roads too.

You need to wise up and understand that operations have to adjust schedules regularly to fit around disruption.

bongoo
24th May 2018, 10:29
Nice to see nothings changed!
I know, all rather pathetic.

29Alpha
24th May 2018, 11:29
Nothings ever going to change, by the way, who are u to say......

SealinkBF
24th May 2018, 23:08
My pal sent pics from security on Monday morning - including the queue to reach security. It was not good and BFS needs to sort this.

I definitely won't be using the airport on my next trip to my home city. BHD was a breeze.

29Alpha
25th May 2018, 12:43
Everybody loves to pick at the bad things, not the good things for the north

owenc
25th May 2018, 12:56
It is quite a pain. I fly out of BFS twice a month on Domestic flights. I live an hours drive away so i'm not looking forward to having to arrive at the airport 2 hours before my flight just because they can't sort out their security.

If it continues I'll look at flying from an alternative airport to avoid this.

Arrival time should also be predictable i.e Domestic, one hour, Long Haul 2-3 hours.

True Blue
25th May 2018, 13:21
You should also celebrate that Bfs is being as successful passengers wise as it is? Would you prefer an airport in decline?

owenc
25th May 2018, 13:25
No, but it is only carrying 6 million passengers.

True Blue
25th May 2018, 14:39
And 4 million in 2014. And if we were not obsessed about not checking in a bag, there would be less delay at security. The airlines are to thank for that. Security delays are the result of a whole series of actions, not just down to the failure of the airport.

29Alpha
25th May 2018, 14:47
And 4 million in 2014. And if we were not obsessed about not checking in a bag, there would be less delay at security. The airlines are to thank for that. Security delays are the result of a whole series of actions, not just down to the failure of the airport.
quite right blue, if all these people look at the extra ballage cart at the front of the aircraft for all the extra bags, dont think the airlines are contributing to the extra security to screen their extra bags or the ramp staff to cope with the extra workloads, cough up LCC's

owenc
25th May 2018, 15:02
The airlines are not responsible for this. Belfast is a small airport, it carries a small volume of passengers, airports such as Stansted (25 million) rarely have these issues, so the likes of Belfast should be easy to get through.

True Blue
25th May 2018, 16:59
I think you have been looking at Stansted through rose coloured glasses. I have seen it a mess.

El Bunto
25th May 2018, 19:29
Met a family from Boston today who were doing the tour of the island-of-Ireland coast clockwise and had reached NI. They flew in to Cork from Providence on Norwegian; they didn't even know that Norwegian flew to Belfast :(

I am afraid to think what Norwegian's Stateside advertising is like but it sounds like Belfast isn't high on the agenda.

29Alpha
25th May 2018, 20:07
Met a family from Boston today who were doing the tour of the island-of-Ireland coast clockwise and had reached NI. They flew in to Cork from Providence on Norwegian; they didn't even know that Norwegian flew to Belfast :(

I am afraid to think what Norwegian's Stateside advertising is like but it sounds like Belfast isn't high on the agenda.
I'm worried Norwegian at bfs will be a past tense come 2019, double daily out of Dublin was the writing on the wall.

Husky One
25th May 2018, 20:36
There’s some issue Stateside with marketing. Not sure of the details but one of the United bods told me several years ago that there was an arrangement with the Irish Tourist board that directed everything towards the South. Not sure if they get subsidies from them but it can’t be an accident that it’s happening again.

SecondDog
25th May 2018, 20:54
The airlines are not responsible for this. Belfast is a small airport, it carries a small volume of passengers, airports such as Stansted (25 million) rarely have these issues, so the likes of Belfast should be easy to get through.

Owen, this is just complete ignorance I'm afraid. There are multiple factors at play and the airlines certainly are one because of their baggage model shift of late to avoid checked baggage (at least baggage checked in the hall as opposed to the front of the aircraft) I understand that the airport is getting flack for preparation but there are a lot of factors behind that too, not all of which are preventable regardless of how easily people like to deploy the 'shambles' and 'disgrace' monikers in short sighted social media posts.

There are also the passengers, some of whom need their heads examined. Either they arrive 4 hours early and jam the previous wave or they arrive with 45 minutes til departure screaming blue murder at the back of the priority search queue because 'this never happens at any other airport' demanding to be brought through as they have not left themselves enough time to present themselves at the gate prior to closure. Don't forget the jokers that like to meander their way along the snake and arrive at the search amazed to hear they have to take their coats off and computers out of bags and liquids in a certain way.

and for all the bumpf about the queues on Monday, sources tell me the queue time from boarding cards to 'Sip and Stone' was under 40 minutes. Add on 20 for the stairs and boarding cards and an hour (if you are hand baggage only) all told is not that bad for a peak season. Ask anyone at Stansted if they don't have relatively similar periods.

The airport is telling people to come early and they are telling people to be prepared for the search process. The passengers have to play their part..

SecondDog
25th May 2018, 20:58
There’s some issue Stateside with marketing. Not sure of the details but one of the United bods told me several years ago that there was an arrangement with the Irish Tourist board that directed everything towards the South. Not sure if they get subsidies from them but it can’t be an accident that it’s happening again.

I suspect you are right H1, I don't think it is an accident either.

29Alpha
25th May 2018, 21:52
Owen, this is just complete ignorance I'm afraid. There are multiple factors at play and the airlines certainly are one because of their baggage model shift of late to avoid checked baggage (at least baggage checked in the hall as opposed to the front of the aircraft) I understand that the airport is getting flack for preparation but there are a lot of factors behind that too, not all of which are preventable regardless of how easily people like to deploy the 'shambles' and 'disgrace' monikers in short sighted social media posts.

There are also the passengers, some of whom need their heads examined. Either they arrive 4 hours early and jam the previous wave or they arrive with 45 minutes til departure screaming blue murder at the back of the priority search queue because 'this never happens at any other airport' demanding to be brought through as they have not left themselves enough time to present themselves at the gate prior to closure. Don't forget the jokers that like to meander their way along the snake and arrive at the search amazed to hear they have to take their coats off and computers out of bags and liquids in a certain way.

and for all the bumpf about the queues on Monday, sources tell me the queue time from boarding cards to 'Sip and Stone' was under 40 minutes. Add on 20 for the stairs and boarding cards and an hour (if you are hand baggage only) all told is not that bad for a peak season. Ask anyone at Stansted if they don't have relatively similar periods.

The airport is telling people to come early and they are telling people to be prepared for the search process. The passengers have to play their part..
as said before, well said

owenc
25th May 2018, 22:30
I don't think i've ever met an American tourist who hasn't come through Dublin.

EGAC is Better
25th May 2018, 22:37
Don't forget the jokers that like to meander their way along the snake and arrive at the search amazed to hear they have to take their coats off and computers out of bags and liquids in a certain way.

^^^ That drives me close to insanity and is a very fair point.

....and those who don’t clear off from after the body scanners while they re-dress.

True Blue
25th May 2018, 22:47
The very last point is very true. But when will security employ someone with the specific task of ensuring that people don't stand at the x-ray machine whilst they re pack?

El Bunto
26th May 2018, 06:26

The passengers are paying for transportation from Belfast to X. Adhering to the conditions of carriage is the passenger's responsibility and the transportation part is the airline's responsibility. Everything else is the airport's 'part to play'.

When I buy a ticket I enter into a contract with the airline. I don't sign any contract with the airport, that is a business-to-business contract between them and my airline. So if the airport is having dificulties handling volume they should take it up in the first instance with the airlines, not with the passengers.

SWBKCB
26th May 2018, 06:47

And human nature being what it is, not everybody will do what you want them to do, so you have to manage the process.

As Einstein said, "doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting different results is the definition of insanity,"

GAZMO
28th May 2018, 17:51
2019 to Burgas announced by travel solutions
https://nitravelnews.com/news/travel-solutions-launch-their-2019-balkan-sun-holidays%E2%80%A8/

BFS BHD
28th May 2018, 17:52
https://nitravelnews.com/news/travel-solutions-launch-their-2019-balkan-sun-holidays%E2%80%A8/

GAZMO
28th May 2018, 17:54
Snap������

BFS BHD
28th May 2018, 18:05
Looking at the times it looks like they are using the new Jet2 route to Bourgas!

BHD2BFS
29th May 2018, 11:13
Any idea of what the loads are like in virgin?

canberra97
29th May 2018, 20:48
Any idea of what the loads are like in virgin?

Regarding loads I think you should have wrote ''ON VIRGIN'' rather than ''IN VIRGIN'' :-)

Husky One
29th May 2018, 21:01
65-70% lately. Improving towards 75% as June roll through with the silly season around 90%

29Alpha
29th May 2018, 22:04
Todays boston Norwegian flight went out with a measly 56 people outbound

owenc
29th May 2018, 22:22
65-70% lately. Improving towards 75% as June roll through with the silly season around 90%
Is that good?

Plane.Silly
30th May 2018, 09:33
LCC's need Loads of around 85%+ to be viable, so 65-70% is pretty poor, but lets not forget it's still a new market, and Year 1 of a new route is mainly to get awareness/ establishment in place. By Year 2 when the 80's and 90's start to come in, thats where the money starts coming in

True Blue
30th May 2018, 10:12
I think the answer is given to the wrong question?

emma1
3rd Jun 2018, 11:36
Only 1 baggage belt working in the terminal until 5 th of june

True Blue
3rd Jun 2018, 13:58
Just through security about 20 minutes ago. Only took a few minutes.

BFS watcher
3rd Jun 2018, 18:20
Baggage system being upgraded with new x-rays and control systems

El Bunto
3rd Jun 2018, 19:24
Baggage system being upgraded with new x-rays and control systems

Maybe I'm naive but wouldn't it be better to schedule upgrades like that in the winter...? Plus the disruption of staff training etc.

Such as on winter Wednesdays with fewer than 70 movements?

SecondDog
3rd Jun 2018, 21:28
Maybe I'm naive but wouldn't it be better to schedule upgrades like that in the winter...? Plus the disruption of staff training etc.

Such as on winter Wednesdays with fewer than 70 movements?

It can't be done incrementally like that. It can't be left until winter because the upgrade is mandated and on a deadline. They have to get both done this year so this one being done asap before the second in late autumn. I understand it was planned for earlier in the year but there were some set backs that pushed it into May/June.

Obviously not ideal but when needs must...

BFS Dude
4th Jun 2018, 23:50
I see G-IFIT PA31 was in today from Leeds from 0900 to 1700.
I think it belongs to Dart Group who owns Jet2?
Sometimes the aircraft is used for Jet2 engineers but none of the based aircraft had any problems today i think.
Could it be that Jet2 management was at BFS today working on another expansion with BFS management for Summer 2019?

SWBKCB
5th Jun 2018, 05:59
Perhaps they read Pprune and had come to see for themselves.... :E

GAZMO
6th Jun 2018, 15:13
From BFS website
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/june/independent-report-points-to-40-000-new-jobs-without-air-passenger-duty

think they got one figure wrong, can’t see 64.1 million passengers using the airport??

mart901
6th Jun 2018, 16:05
From BFS website
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/june/independent-report-points-to-40-000-new-jobs-without-air-passenger-duty

think they got one figure wrong, can’t see 64.1 million passengers using the airport??

That's not what it's saying, it's cumulative over the 3 airports in Northern Ireland over the years mentioned

El Bunto
7th Jun 2018, 09:14
I see G-IFIT PA31 was in today from Leeds from 0900 to 1700.
I think it belongs to Dart Group who owns Jet2?
Sometimes the aircraft is used for Jet2 engineers but none of the based aircraft had any problems today i think.

It also positions crews when schedules don't otherwise align, and moves spare parts around. I'm surprised they haven't upgraded to a turboprop given that Avgas must be fairly rare at some of their destinations.

shuttle4zulu
8th Jun 2018, 19:35
Todays boston Norwegian flight went out with a measly 56 people outbound

Any reason why a split load on a 787 wouldn't work, could be wrong but didn't EI used to do something similar in the leased MD-11

29Alpha
8th Jun 2018, 20:19
Any reason why a split load on a 787 wouldn't work, could be wrong but didn't EI used to do something similar in the leased MD-11
yes it would work, but that was 15 or so years ago, a lot has changed since then, the schedule they have is pants for buisness flyers, the money makers. Holiday flights have no big premiums with airlines, the business travellers are the money tickets

GAZMO
8th Jun 2018, 21:20
BFS to IBZ diverted to Toulouse tonight to off load disruptive passenger
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44421219

BFS BHD
9th Jun 2018, 20:11
Local news website now reporting the possible Qatar flights to Doha.

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/qatar-airlines-planning-direct-flights-14730496#ICID=sharebar_twitter

buzz_hornet
9th Jun 2018, 21:16
Recycled story

GAZMO
12th Jun 2018, 15:41
From NItravel
https://nitravelnews.com/news/new-destination-for-northern-ireland-skiers-announced%E2%80%A8/

looks that hat the one off this year was successful. Interesting comment at end......with more to come

GAZMO
12th Jun 2018, 16:40
Looks like an extra daily flight to STN for the winter, six flights on Mon and Fri and five Tues to Thurs. Extra flights to BRS on Thurs and Fri. MAN up to four daily, SUn, Mon, Thurs Fri

BFS BHD
14th Jun 2018, 20:10
The sixth EasyJet aircraft arrives next week. Any idea how the new routes to Isle of Man, Venice, Naples & Valencia are selling?

El Bunto
18th Jun 2018, 09:33
Tu-204 arrived about 02:30 this morning for a load of drilling tubes. Due out either late tonight or lunchtime tomorrow, can't get a definitive answer.

29Alpha
18th Jun 2018, 10:38
Tu 204 dept sometime this afternoon

El Bunto
18th Jun 2018, 20:16
You were spot-on, it departed at 15:45. Cheers!

GAZMO
19th Jun 2018, 06:19
Caa stats out for April. Very similar to last year April 17.

BFS Dude
19th Jun 2018, 23:54
Anyone know if there is any rumours about easyJets winter 2018/19 schedules as there is a few gaps most days.

BFS BHD
21st Jun 2018, 01:00
Looks like BFS is missing out on a new route to Toronto-Hamilton Airport with Norwegian.

Norwegian launching first ever services to Canada out of Dublin Airport | Travel Extra (http://www.travelextra.ie/norwegian-launching-first-ever-services-to-canada-out-of-dublin-airport/)

29Alpha
21st Jun 2018, 08:17
Can't see Norwegian at bfs next year sadly

EI-A330-300
21st Jun 2018, 12:32
Looks like BFS is missing out on a new route to Toronto-Hamilton Airport with Norwegian.

Norwegian launching first ever services to Canada out of Dublin Airport Travel Extra (http://www.travelextra.ie/norwegian-launching-first-ever-services-to-canada-out-of-dublin-airport/)

To be fair, BFS wouldn't be allowed, the application was on Irish AOC for ROI flights. They would have to use the UK AOC to look for BFS and given how strict Canada are I'm not sure they would have been grated such a licence.

True Blue
21st Jun 2018, 15:45
I returned a few days ago from Malaga on a Jet2 -300. Probably about 25 years old, looked like new inside, a credit to them that them have kept them in really good shape. Spotlessly clean as well.

I returned yesterday from Stansted on an Easyjet flight operated by Titan, a 737-400. Again in really good condition and very clean. Goes to show some airlines can have a tidy cabin if there is the will there to achieve it.

West Brit
21st Jun 2018, 21:12
Just checked the departures board for tomorrow after lunch. For Belfast quite impressive. The VS Orlando flight departs during this period, which means for a few weeks Saturday morning before 0900 BFS will be almost at full capacity for parking stands.

El Bunto
22nd Jun 2018, 06:19
To be fair, BFS wouldn't be allowed, the application was on Irish AOC for ROI flights. They would have to use the UK AOC to look for BFS and given how strict Canada are I'm not sure they would have been grated such a licence.

That's not correct. The EU and Canada have a freedoms agreement dating back to 2009. Any Community-registered carrier can operate to any point of Canada. Since Norwegian's Irish AOC qualifies, there is no basis for Canada to object.

owenc
22nd Jun 2018, 07:05
Just checked the departures board for tomorrow after lunch. For Belfast quite impressive. The VS Orlando flight departs during this period, which means for a few weeks Saturday morning before 0900 BFS will be almost at full capacity for parking stands.
I have seen the virgin flight land at noon about 3 weeks ago, I don’t think it will be there at 9am.

Does it not come in from Gatwick?

29Alpha
22nd Jun 2018, 08:09
I have seen the virgin flight land at noon about 3 weeks ago, I don’t think it will be there at 9am.

Does it not come in from Gatwick?
saturday morning chum, not friday morning 😂😂 return leg

BFS BHD
22nd Jun 2018, 10:25
https://nitravelnews.com/news/sixth-easyjet-aircraft-arrives-in-belfast-and-four-new-routes-launch/

''There’s even more good news to come in four to six weeks time according to Ali Gayward, easyJet’s Country Manager, with the airline hoping to announce a number of new routes from Belfast to Continental Europe. Final decisions are being taken on the destinations at the moment.''

29Alpha
22nd Jun 2018, 13:41
https://nitravelnews.com/news/sixth-easyjet-aircraft-arrives-in-belfast-and-four-new-routes-launch/

''There’s even more good news to come in four to six weeks time according to Ali Gayward, easyJet’s Country Manager, with the airline hoping to announce a number of new routes from Belfast to Continental Europe. Final decisions are being taken on the destinations at the moment.''
il go for Frankfurt, or Copenhagen

GAZMO
22nd Jun 2018, 13:45
Maybe Brussels. Agree Copenhagen a good bet

BFS BHD
22nd Jun 2018, 14:41
Think Copenhagen was talked about by easyJet a year or two ago from BFS so hopefully it will be one of the new routes. Maybe another ski route to the likes of Grenoble?

29Alpha
22nd Jun 2018, 15:45
As the current GVA schedule is bollocks, another ski run would be great, no weekend skiing available or citybreaks to gva, usless unless on a package

True Blue
24th Jun 2018, 21:54
Did Jet2 not bring in a second -800 this summer after all?

BFS BHD
24th Jun 2018, 22:05
It will be based from Thursday.

EI-BUD
25th Jun 2018, 22:04
New easyJet routes, with 6 coming, I imagine they'll be mostly summer seasonal.

choose from existing list of EU destinations.
potentiality
- another Croatian destination; Pula
- Greek Island; Corfu or Crete,
- Verona or Catania
- Rome or Prague
- western France destination
- another Canary Island

not convinced we'll see a Scandinavian city or BRU either. Munich has winter potential ..

fair play EasyJet.
​​​​​
​​

mart901
25th Jun 2018, 22:19
It's winter routes there'll be announcing. They will have capacity for this once the summer is over.

BFS BHD
25th Jun 2018, 23:17
Where did you see that there will be six new routes by easyJet?

Keyvon
26th Jun 2018, 07:39
New EZY routes announced for W18/19:
Isle of Man
Venice

For S19:
Naples
Valencia

ESCNI
26th Jun 2018, 08:02
Where can I find the announcement for Valencia in summer 2019, please?

SWBKCB
26th Jun 2018, 08:13
https://mediacentre.easyjet.com/en/stories/12223-easyjet-growth-in-belfast-continues-as-airline-welcomes-sixth-aircraft-and-four-new-routes-take-off

West Brit
26th Jun 2018, 09:32
Don't wait until S19 you can fly to Valencia and Naples now!

ESCNI
26th Jun 2018, 10:01
Don't wait until S19 you can fly to Valencia and Naples now!

I would love to, but this year's hols are already booked!

:cool: