View Full Version : Belfast International-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10

GAZMO
26th Jun 2018, 11:47
Try October to Valencia
got a four night break, hotel plus flights for £189

West Brit
28th Jun 2018, 09:58
EI 320 Just departed BFS for DUB. Earlier diversion?

True Blue
1st Jul 2018, 05:16
Did another -800 turn up at Bfs a few hours ago? Is that 3 at Bfs now, or is one of the based units sick? Just wondering the reason. It seems to be very new.

mart901
1st Jul 2018, 06:58
I thought the plan was always for four aircraft for peak summer?

irishlad06
1st Jul 2018, 11:28
Did another -800 turn up at Bfs a few hours ago? Is that 3 at Bfs now, or is one of the based units sick? Just wondering the reason. It seems to be very new.

It arrived in BFS during the week on Wednesday to make the base now 2xB733 2xB738 for peak summer

owenc
1st Jul 2018, 13:19
There is only 2 738.

True Blue
1st Jul 2018, 13:24
I know how many -800 is at Bfs. I think my post was not well read before answers were given.

Garstag
1st Jul 2018, 15:54
Jet2 airframes at Belfast

G JZHE 8
G GDFR 8

G GDFT 3
G GDFN 3
G GDFO 3

BFS BHD
1st Jul 2018, 17:12
G-GDFN is based at Leeds at the minute.

Based aircraft at BFS
B733 - G-GDFO & G-GDFT
B738 - G-JZHE, G-JZHW & G-GDFR

G-GDFR hasn't flown today due to a incident on landing last night from Tenerife. G-JZHW came in from Leeds last night to cover for G-GDFR.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-44675005

canberra97
1st Jul 2018, 17:29
Try October to Valencia
got a four night break, hotel plus flights for £189

Or better still try booking Valencia for the 19 March, that entire week makes up La Fallas de Valencia which is Spain's biggest festival and well worth visiting especially if it's your first time in the city, and the hotels are great especially if you book near to the 'old town'.

But book in advance as hotels can be quite expensive during the festival period.

Use Valencia as a short city break not a full holiday as 4/5 days is long enough.

True Blue
1st Jul 2018, 19:42
Thanks BFS BHD that answers my question and explains.

29Alpha
1st Jul 2018, 20:29
Any word on any visutors during the holiday period?

NWSRG
1st Jul 2018, 21:56
Have Virgin announced their plans for 2019 yet? Are we getting the same season as this year? And is there any possibility of anything more?

29Alpha
1st Jul 2018, 22:35
Have Virgin announced their plans for 2019 yet? Are we getting the same season as this year? And is there any possibility of anything more?
all depends on this seasos performance, could maybe see vegas or Caribbean?

Callum Paterson
1st Jul 2018, 23:11
Reign in those expectations. More Orlando at best.

29Alpha
2nd Jul 2018, 17:01
Reign in those expectations. More Orlando at best.
cant see them upping Orlando from march till september, Orlando isnt a year round destination from bfs anyway

GAZMO
2nd Jul 2018, 17:20
If we are lucky maybe a couple of one offs to Cancun or Las Vegas with VS

GAZMO
2nd Jul 2018, 17:31
Stats out for May

Up 6.5% 5,839,415 pax for last 12 months

On domestic front big rise on EDI and STN,

canberra97
2nd Jul 2018, 17:53
If we are lucky maybe a couple of one offs to Cancun or Las Vegas with VS

With VS discontinuing CAN from LGW I can't see them offering a couple of one offs to Cancun, they don't even offer the destination from MAN.

If Las Vegas didn't work from GLA and the fact that VS are transferring LAS from LGW to LHR in March 2019 similarly I can't see VS offering any one offs from BFS to LAS either in my opinion.

The best outcome is an extended service to Orlando and maybe and I mean a big maybe looking further ahead with the DL/VS JV a New York connection could be a possibility.

29Alpha
2nd Jul 2018, 21:33
With VS discontinuing CAN from LGW I can't see them offering a couple of one offs to Cancun, they don't even offer the destination from MAN.

If Las Vegas didn't work from GLA and the fact that VS are transferring LAS from LGW to LHR in March 2019 similarly I can't see VS offering any one offs from BFS to LAS either in my opinion.

The best outcome is an extended service to Orlando and maybe and I mean a big maybe looking further ahead with the DL/VS JV a New York connection could be a possibility.
New york will only work with a daily departure, buisness customers need a daily departures

West Brit
3rd Jul 2018, 07:33
TCX departure today to Cancun. I would say for marketing purposes an aerial shot of the airport this morning when the Virgin 747 parks, would be quite impressive from a Belfast point of view.

mart901
3rd Jul 2018, 07:54
Stats out for May

Up 6.5% 5,839,415 pax for last 12 months

On domestic front big rise on EDI and STN,

Yes STN is like double, and hasn't touched LTN which has a small rise. Interesting although not many BHD figures LCY 64% growth.

BFS BHD
3rd Jul 2018, 18:20
Was Paris always four weekly with easyJet in November and half of December or was it been reduced? Thought it was six weekly in November.

GAZMO
3rd Jul 2018, 19:13
BFS BHD
As far as I am aware November was always four weekly with six weekly at busier times of the year

Looking at May caa stats there was a 62% increase in pax numbers on CDG so maybe there could be an increase in frequency still to come. I think with the sixth aircraft based at BFS there are still a number of flights to be announced for winter 18/19

BFS BHD
3rd Jul 2018, 19:42
Thanks GAZMO :)

canberra97
3rd Jul 2018, 21:05
New york will only work with a daily departure, buisness customers need a daily departures

I hadn't mentioned frequencies or the needs of business customers because in my post there was no need to, I just suggested that looking ahead a connection from BFS to New York could be a possibility with the VS/DL JV.

Obviously a daily link would be the best option!

29Alpha
3rd Jul 2018, 21:53
I hadn't mentioned frequencies or the needs of business customers because in my post there was no need to, I just suggested that looking ahead a connection from BFS to New York could be a possibility with the VS/DL JV.

Obviously a daily link would be the best option!

Major investment is needed for a start, the crew of the virgin all come out to get their picture taken at the jumbo because its the only airport thay go to that dosent have a airbridge lol

rnd22
3rd Jul 2018, 22:01
norwegian to JFK? Delta, american or united via DUB or SNN?

29Alpha
3rd Jul 2018, 22:48
Delta have always been mooching about since the 00s id be surprised if any1 else is involved

El Bunto
4th Jul 2018, 07:55
norwegian to JFK? Delta, american or united via DUB or SNN?

US carriers don't seem to be keen on tag-ons, at least internationally.

The big missed opportunity at Belfast was Ethiopian; that would have given both US and African connections, and they don't benefit from pre-clearance at Dublin because of the timing of their flights. Likewise Kuwaiti through Shannon; that'd be worth poaching.

Skipness One Foxtrot
4th Jul 2018, 08:14
Major investment is needed for a start, the crew of the virgin all come out to get their picture taken at the jumbo because its the only airport thay go to that dosent have a airbridge lol
Many of the beach fleet destinations don't have airbridges :)

owenc
4th Jul 2018, 09:11
Could a 737 Max from a USA carrier with Domestic First class seats like Air Canada not work from Belfast? It'd be smaller than a 757 and they'd not have to worry about Yield from Business Class because it'd be cheaper.

The 737 MAX in that configuration is much more flexible and wouldn't have fleet issues i.e with being used on transcontinental flights where United cancelled several transatlantic flights to keep up with Jetblue and others competition, because it wouldn't be in that Premium heavy configuration.

Yes, I know that Norweigan had this configuration. But they're not a legacy carrier with connections and flights into major international airports, nor do they pull from American mileage fliers.

EIFFS
5th Jul 2018, 04:58
Owenc

Norwegians entire narrow body fleet is all economy with either 186 or 189 seats, the MAX aircraft are all 189 seats, a combination of slim line seats and the new narrower toilet cubicle means the leg room is the same in either config give or take a knats whisker.

the use of secondary airports in the USA keeps costs and fares down but means there is probably not much premium traffic to be had and any such seats would attract punitive APD out of EDI

The personal feed back that I have had from passengers post flight is positive, touch down to gate time is never more than 5 minutes at PVD or SWF and about 10 minutes from push to take off on the MAX and 7 minutes on the NG

With 180 minutes ETOPS fuel tech stops don’t happen, having said that 189 and normal jet stream winds is not possible and loads are capped, east bound is no problem and I have 191 with ID crew on the jump seats.

word is that the MAX will replace the A321NeoLR next year

owenc
5th Jul 2018, 10:26
I haven’t questioned the Max, it can easily fly a 3000 mile route. The question is whether or not this route is sustainable long term.

RND20
5th Jul 2018, 12:25
I think we really lost out on Canada flights, Air Canada are flying the Max from SNN-YYZ and DUB-YUL. Norwegian also flying DUB-YHM next year. Surely if SNN can support a YYZ flight, we can?

29Alpha
5th Jul 2018, 17:10
I think we really lost out on Canada flights, Air Canada are flying the Max from SNN-YYZ and DUB-YUL. Norwegian also flying DUB-YHM next year. Surely if SNN can support a YYZ flight, we can?
of course bfs can, we had a long standing canada airline until 2 loco carriers flooded the market and the 2 locos went bust and forced the long stander out.

BFS BHD
5th Jul 2018, 17:31
Ryanair:
Berlin - Tuesday flight moves to a Thursday for Winter 2018/19. Same as Summer 2018.

Thomas Cook:
Larnaca - Saturday flight dropped. Now only one weekly on a Wednesday for Summer 2019.
Dalaman - 3rd weekly flight added on a Saturday replacing Larnaca for Summer 2019.

RND20
6th Jul 2018, 12:15
I know, but surely BFS-YYZ would be more profitable than SNN-YYZ. It’s a shame we’ve no proper TATL services

waffler
7th Jul 2018, 11:17
I was picking up someone from Dublin Airport last night and I counted 24 transatlantic arrivals from midnight till 10am on the
arrivals screen. BFS deserves at least 1.

owenc
7th Jul 2018, 11:32
The midnight one is the Norweigan one that never seems to have a consistent arrival time. Arrived in at 3am the other day.

kildress
7th Jul 2018, 13:47
Hi Waffler.
BFS deserves at least 1
On what grounds?
I live quite close to BFS and use it frequently but use DUB far more often because of available services (including US pre-clearance), faster security clearance (7 minutes yesterday mid-day in T1) and no leaking roofs (that I have seen).
Furthermore, I don't have to pay a minimum £1 to drop off or collect passengers in DUB, trivial I know but bloody annoying.

waffler
7th Jul 2018, 15:26
Most passangers travelling to Dublin from the US in Summer originate from the USA, they want to visit ‘ Ireland ‘
Their perception of Ireland is Dublin, Galway and Kerry in general.
They want a safe, friendly , English speaking country to begin their gentle transition to European Travel using 1 currency.
if you want their business you have to give it to them.
We tend to view transatlantic flights from what we want out of it and you won’t fill an aircraft consistently from Belfast
unless you make it attractive to Americans and Canadians,
it will take more than Titanic and Game of Thrones tours.
on the positive side, the more flights that land anywhere in Ireland, the more chance of visitors including Northern Ireland
in their travel plans and seeing how wonderful it is.

SecondDog
7th Jul 2018, 16:02
Hi Waffler.
BFS deserves at least 1
On what grounds?
I live quite close to BFS and use it frequently but use DUB far more often because of available services (including US pre-clearance), faster security clearance (7 minutes yesterday mid-day in T1) and no leaking roofs (that I have seen).
Furthermore, I don't have to pay a minimum £1 to drop off or collect passengers in DUB, trivial I know but bloody annoying.

7 mins at mid day would be a fair comparison with BFS. You are at risk of misframing your comparison with busy spells for the purpose of your post. You don't have to spend anything to drop off at BFS either but they are far from the worst with regard to drop off charges. Have you seen the price at Manchester for those who want to drop off right in front?? As for US preclearance, I have heard horror stories of queue times there too. I was in DUB T1 for morning departures recently and the security queue was back to the boarding card scanners there too. Everywhere is just busy and passengers are not helping themselves...

True Blue
7th Jul 2018, 16:32
I passed through security a few days ago, it was very busy. It took maybe 10-15 minutes but there were no dramas. This for a 7.45am flight.

RND20
7th Jul 2018, 16:38
I was picking up someone from Dublin Airport last night and I counted 24 transatlantic arrivals from midnight till 10am on the
arrivals screen. BFS deserves at least 1.
Agreed, there can be up to ten a day in shannon too. Perhaps once we’re out of the EU, Stormont will give United another incentive package?

kildress
7th Jul 2018, 17:01
7 mins at mid day would be a fair comparison with BFS. You are at risk of misframing your comparison with busy spells for the purpose of your post. You don't have to spend anything to drop off at BFS either but they are far from the worst with regard to drop off charges. Have you seen the price at Manchester for those who want to drop off right in front?? As for US preclearance, I have heard horror stories of queue times there too. I was in DUB T1 for morning departures recently and the security queue was back to the boarding card scanners there too. Everywhere is just busy and passengers are not helping themselves...

SecondDog, my post had no Purpose, as such. I merely wanted to understand how BFS could deserve at least one TATL flight.
How do I drop someone off (safely) at BFS without paying at least £1?
My overall, generally varied experience, is that BFS security is significantly slower than DUB but accept that either can have good and/or bad moments.
My experience of US pre-clearance at DUB has generally been very good although I accept there are (foreseeable) busy times, but it is always better than US Immigration & Customs in the US; I am convinced that the Agents mellow a little in Dublin!

Startledgrapefruit
7th Jul 2018, 18:01
As the topic lack of routes to Oh Canada came up this week again.
The Maple leaf club got burnt out this week
The club that the Canada bound locals got together to fund charter flights to get over there.

BFS BHD
7th Jul 2018, 18:43
Looks like Ryanair is adding extra flights to Manchester in September and October this year making it 11 weekly for them two months.
Extra flights are on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday starting from 1st September. Flight times are loaded into the Ryanair App but not able to book yet.
Still going two daily for Winter 2018/19 season.

Would be good to see East Midlands added by Ryanair at some stage too!

True Blue
7th Jul 2018, 19:12
Are they achieving this through better use of an aircraft that would have been sitting around as opposed to cutting flights somewhere else?

mart901
7th Jul 2018, 19:25
I passed through security a few days ago, it was very busy. It took maybe 10-15 minutes but there were no dramas. This for a 7.45am flight.
4 mins on Thursday lunchtime. Really well staffed and friendly.

BFS BHD
7th Jul 2018, 19:40
Are they achieving this through better use of an aircraft that would have been sitting around as opposed to cutting flights somewhere else?

Yes using gaps in their schedules.

tigger2k8
8th Jul 2018, 00:03

15 mins free stay in the long stay... drive in, pull over, drop off, exit.. no charge and safe...

mart901
8th Jul 2018, 05:48
Drop them at the services, it's about 5 mins walk across the car park or if they're not so able bodied at the Maldron, you can turn around there without going through the barrier (I'm sure that's not a popular option with the hotel!)

West Brit
8th Jul 2018, 07:10
So people will spend £20 in fuel to travel to Dublin to avoid the life changing payment of £1 at BFS? You must have a relaxing break if this money is hard to part with. You find it hard to part with the £1 drop off fee, yet your first meal in a modest restaurant in Paris that night will cost £98. Guy's If the plane departs from Belfast and the timings suit use it. If you can't fly from Belfast then it's a connecting flight through GB or AMS, or the endurance of a long road trip to Dublin. This is what most people do, they don't think of flight clearance, £1 drop off......

El Bunto
8th Jul 2018, 08:56
It's the principle though. For £98 you'll get a Paris meal. For £20 you can drive to Dublin. For £1 you get... nothing. The airport pockets the fee and provides nothing more than it did before the fee was imposed.

West Brit
8th Jul 2018, 09:53
For £1 you get dropped off at the airport!

mart901
8th Jul 2018, 10:32
So principled these holiday makers. Its just like spend 2.5 hrs driving to Dublin to save 20 mins in immigration in the USA.

SecondDog
8th Jul 2018, 15:30
SecondDog, my post had no Purpose, as such. I merely wanted to understand how BFS could deserve at least one TATL flight.
My overall, generally varied experience, is that BFS security is significantly slower than DUB but accept that either can have good and/or bad moments.
My experience of US pre-clearance at DUB has generally been very good although I accept there are (foreseeable) busy times, but it is always better than US Immigration & Customs in the US; I am convinced that the Agents mellow a little in Dublin!

As to why they 'deserve it' I see your question as a clinical one and understand your point. If you bring the/a situational analysis into the combination of whole island marketing and the decision makers origins (along with the island being governed by 2 states with varying levels of support towards their respective aviation centrepieces) I can understand how someone could think that BFS 'deserves' the aforementioned. They have put a lot of work in.

Unless something has changed recently, 10 minutes free in the Long stay (which is surprisingly close to the terminal) whether this is affected by the park being full or not might be a question....

I take your point about ups and downs (and BFS gets massive coverage when the lows occur but media gamesmanship is a different story) but having watched the process several times, I think reports of permanent disaster are highly designed by the social media style comentators who in my view blight modern society..

SecondDog
8th Jul 2018, 15:38
It's the principle though. For £98 you'll get a Paris meal. For £20 you can drive to Dublin. For £1 you get... nothing. The airport pockets the fee and provides nothing more than it did before the fee was imposed.

Point of order... they provided the mandated sterile area and drop off zone. Once the cost was cleared, it is a boost to the falling revenue generated from airlines, which is driven by people's strange belief that they can be transported 1000s of miles for a tenner. Suck it up or use one of the aforementioned drop off methods.....

Husky One
8th Jul 2018, 15:52
I’ve been through BFS security several times recently with no issues or much waiting.
I agree that the drop off is pathetic though. I don’t pay money to drop people off at LHR or LGW. It’s rubbish and the fact that so many people can’t get their head around it causes delays getting out, arguments and more delays. This nonsense is the bastion of regional airports, not for those that claim to be major international operations.
Alas Dub for TATL remains a no-brainer. If you live in Belfast you can get a bus to the front door of T2. Be through check-in, security and even immigration within 30 mins. My average wait at immigration at LAX/MCO and JFK has been over an hour. You can also connect stateside without any more security checks. If we had a service to a proper US hub it would be more of a quandary but it doesn’t look like that’s happening anytime soon.

owenc
8th Jul 2018, 17:05
It a bit of a pain for those of us who live north and west of Belfast though.

True Blue
8th Jul 2018, 19:42
This debate over the £1 charge is a great example of how some of the population refuse to understand how we got there in the first place. Don't bother having a look at the bigger picture. When I consider what I have to pay to fly somewhere now, compared to years ago, having to pay £1 is nothing. Yet people moan about it, will sit up the side of the road for hours to avoid paying it, but never ask what price they put on their own life. The first time I travelled to New Zealand in1975 I paid about £1100 for my airfare. At that same time I bought a new Ford Escort, cost £1100. Have a look at the cost of that airfare now, still under £1100 if you are prepared to do some research, what price the car? Airports are now getting paid much less per passenger and still have an airport to run. How do those of you who object to the £1 charge suggest they raise the money needed? Because you the passenger will not want to pay it. Imagine the uproar if a new charge was introduced to pay for security etc and added to the cost of the ticket. Lhr is not a fair comparison because it has a virtual monopoly on long haul. Have a look at what you pay to fly through Lhr in terms of passenger charges.

£1 is nothing, get over it and have a life.

29Alpha
8th Jul 2018, 20:04
True blue good call, but not everybody would say the same, thats why lo cost exists, dunno about anyone else but there would be an awful lot of people not flying if it wasnt for them. Airport executives get an awful lot of money

True Blue
8th Jul 2018, 20:41
Yes Locos have made flying affordable to a whole new generation of people. Part of that affordability was due to the fact that the airlines reduced considerably what they were paying to the airport. That at a time when other costs were ramping up, like security. My question was, with income going down, costs going up, what should airports have done?

But in a wider context, people need to get some perspective in their lives. They get obsessed in trying to avoid a £1 charge, would being diagnosed with cancer and given weeks to live not be more important? Let's spend 5+ hours to Dublin and back to try and save an hour the other end in immigration. The guy who takes his own life in hand and that of others passing in a dangerous place to save seconds.

Too many now have lost sight of what is important, stress over nothing issues and lead lives that reflect same.

flightrisk82
8th Jul 2018, 20:45
To those saying they were getting through security quickly - last Thursday AM I was in the terminal at 0455 for the 0615 flight to Gatwick. Got to the top of the steps, queue reaching back to the top of the escalators. I dived for the priority lane, only to find out that you can't buy priority security on the day any more and was stopped at the boarding card scanners. I was (sheepishly) allowed to butt into the queue after the pass scanners, along with several other befuddled business travelers.

​​​​​​Long story short, I squeaked onto the flight by the skin of my teeth. If I hadn't mistakenly skipped the queue upstream of the pass scanners I would have missed the flight. Half the queue in front of me were for the earlier STN flight and were having a canary. Twitter was full of rants about the previous evening and previous few days.

All the security scanners were open and the staff were all thoroughly helpful, but on this basis there is an apparent serious structural lack of passenger capacity for an airport that is pursuing further passenger growth.

I picked the LGW flight (booked at late notice) from BFS over LHR from City because it was a bit cheaper and I resent City for the ridiculous parking costs. I could have gone EI from Dublin for much, much cheaper.

The lack of of any PR from BFS about the well publicised capacity issues that seem to coincide with peak bucket and spade route outbounds is baffling - surely they could at least be highlighting specific windows when extra time needs to be left, given some people are still saying they're wafting through in 15 minutes at other times?

In the same circumstances, if I think there's a chance I need to be there >2 hours before, I think I'll be plumping for Dub given the price differential and (for me) about an extra 50 minutes on the road. Im a massive fan of BFS but adding routes without adding facilities is only going to end in tears.

SecondDog
8th Jul 2018, 21:25
Amen TB, take em to church (or chapel seeing as it's NI)

tigger2k8
8th Jul 2018, 22:25
Such a debate over £1, which you can avoid if it makes you lose so much sleep... safely (long stay car park) and not so safely..? You spend £100's or £1000's on a holiday and moan about spending £1, yet wouldn't think twice about spending more than £1 on alcohol to piss down to toilet, cigarettes to slowly kill yourself, betting to more than likely lose..etc ... ill grab my coat now, i give up on some people...

While it is an additional income for the airport, i also believe that they donate a day or 2 per month to a charity..

GAZMO
9th Jul 2018, 07:08
Enough of the £1......anyone know when EZY are going to announce the new routes for winter?

planedrive
9th Jul 2018, 10:00
Sometime this week, if history is anything to go by.

Pizzacake
9th Jul 2018, 10:35
So principled these holiday makers. Its just like spend 2.5 hrs driving to Dublin to save 20 mins in immigration in the USA.

what about the simple fact some flights a miles cheaper. Pricing flights to Vegas, it’s just shy of £200 more expensive to fly from Belfast than Dublin to end up in the same destination at the same time. For a quid you’d be daft to chose Dublin. For 200, you’d be daft not too.

owenc
9th Jul 2018, 11:08
Dublin wasn’t too cheap this year. Business Class this Summer has been regularly around £1600-£1800. Last year values sat at a decent £1100-£1300.

Economy was as high as £800.

few airlines had a decent sale either.

Skipness One Foxtrot
9th Jul 2018, 12:50
This debate over the £1 charge is a great example of how some of the population refuse to understand how we got there in the first place
The context is that it's only at ONE END. The airport at the other end likely lets you drop off outside the terminal as well. Flying lets you see how the rest of the world deals with the same issue, how much more expensive would the ticket be if the drop off fee was er....dropped? You'd barely even notice, at this level, it's about perception and winding people up all for the sake of small change, it feels like a rip off because it is. Ryanair and easyJet also offer decent low fares between Spanish airports at AENA "inflated" prices. It's perfectly possible to do, it's just Spanish airports are not an unmitigated free for all like we have here.

Husky One
9th Jul 2018, 14:45
The £1 thing isn’t about the cost, it’s about the impression it sets of being ‘nickel and dimed’ in much the same manner as the loco’s have done in the past with hidden charges. It doesn’t happen at better airports and the fact that both of ours do it paints a poor picture. Aviation is an expensive business. If your business model is so frail it hinges on the application of stealth charges then you’re in the wrong game. If there are routes that hinge on a few pennies per pax offered up by parking surcharges then you have to ask should those routes be there in the first place.
i use the drop off and I don’t lose sleep about it but every time I go through it leaves me with the impression of ‘mickey mouse operation’. Clearly the dozens of cars lining the airport road hold similar views and given the fickle world we live in you have to ask does this have any effect on the numbers heading to DUB. On its own, it probably doesn’t but in combination with the recent bad security PR, comparatively poor infrastructure and over emphasis on loco’s you have to wonder. With pax numbers higher than ever, it’s time BIAL upped their game.

GAZMO
9th Jul 2018, 15:39
£1 not bad compared to some other airports

https://www.scotsman.com/news/scottish-airports-among-those-to-charge-extortionate-parking-tariffs-1-4765608

True Blue
9th Jul 2018, 19:21
I agree with many of the comments posted previously. Take for example the flat roof at the entrance. It is a complete disgrace and has been for years. If it is raining, you are better not under it as it leaks so badly. I have raised it directly a number of times and been told it is to be fixed imminently but it never has. Now if big pay/dividends are being taken out and essential work not being done, then that is wrong but is now the scourge of our society.

ia350
10th Jul 2018, 06:32
Dublin wasn’t too cheap this year. Business Class this Summer has been regularly around £1600-£1800. Last year values sat at a decent £1100-£1300.

Economy was as high as £800.

few airlines had a decent sale either.

Not thru went to L.A. direct for around 470 last month and going back in October for even lower than that you can't go wrong with that.

mart901
10th Jul 2018, 06:49
The £1 thing isn’t about the cost, it’s about the impression it sets of being ‘nickel and dimed’ in much the same manner as the loco’s have done in the past with hidden charges. It doesn’t happen at better airports and the fact that both of ours do it paints a poor picture. Aviation is an expensive business. If your business model is so frail it hinges on the application of stealth charges then you’re in the wrong game. If there are routes that hinge on a few pennies per pax offered up by parking surcharges then you have to ask should those routes be there in the first place.
i use the drop off and I don’t lose sleep about it but every time I go through it leaves me with the impression of ‘mickey mouse operation’. Clearly the dozens of cars lining the airport road hold similar views and given the fickle world we live in you have to ask does this have any effect on the numbers heading to DUB. On its own, it probably doesn’t but in combination with the recent bad security PR, comparatively poor infrastructure and over emphasis on loco’s you have to wonder. With pax numbers higher than ever, it’s time BIAL upped their game.

All that said the £1 argument gets blown out of the water the minute you buy a pint or a coffee in DUB. And yes there is and possibly always will be large numbers of people heading from NI to there because of routes and price but it works both ways, just look at the car park of either Belfast Airport to see that, and BFS has grown fantastically numbers wise of recent times so its definitely not all doom and gloom.
I do agree with the posts about the need for refurbishment of particularly outside, it does kind of look like something from the soviet block.

BFS watcher
10th Jul 2018, 09:18
Remember BFS was starved of investment by the Spanish and it is only now that capital spend is being made. The worry is will the new shareholders continue the investment programme or will they take value out? Would be great to remove the canopy but spending money on a new fancy one doesn’t attract airlines or get passengers to spend. Looks like we are stuck with it for a while

midfieldgeneral
10th Jul 2018, 10:39
New EZY routes being announced imminently for winter. Prague,Salzburg and Fuertaventura.

True Blue
10th Jul 2018, 10:40
I see Jet2 have 3 737-800s operating out of Bfs currently. I assume that is just for a few weeks over the main holiday period before it goes back to 2 -800s.

GAZMO
10th Jul 2018, 11:05
Nice to see Prague back again to BFS.
Salzburg and FUE already operated by Jet2. When is the announcement?

Fly757X
10th Jul 2018, 11:10
I see Jet2 have 3 737-800s operating out of Bfs currently. I assume that is just for a few weeks over the main holiday period before it goes back to 2 -800s.

No, G-GDFM is stuck in Reus at the moment so just covering for it.

owenc
10th Jul 2018, 11:14
New EZY routes being announced imminently for winter. Prague,Salzburg and Fuertaventura.
Fantastic, something different.

29Alpha
10th Jul 2018, 11:29
Salzburg only served during christmas market period, fuertaventura jet2 run needs a bit of competition

GAZMO
10th Jul 2018, 11:52
SZG runs mid December to end of March, not just Christmas period

LBIA
10th Jul 2018, 13:18
No, G-GDFM is stuck in Reus at the moment so just covering for it.

It was not good day for Jet2 yesterday
B733, G-GDFB is stuck in MUC after diverting there yesterday whilst en-route LBA to VCE. B752 G-LSAA positioned MAN-MUC to operate MUC-VCE & VCE-LBA
B738, G-GDFY night stopped in FAO last night causing an 20 hour delay to yesterdays LS252 FAO-LBA service, eventually arrived at 10:40 this morning/
The was also 6 hour delays to the LS431/432 LBA-BUD-LBA, LS227/228 LBA-PMI-LBA and LS887/888 MAN-PRG-MAN services.

True Blue
10th Jul 2018, 14:11
https://nitravelnews.com/news/easyjet-announces-three-new-routes-from-belfast/

GAZMO
10th Jul 2018, 15:10
From the BFS website press release

Is Salzburg going to be all year route or just winter seasonal ??

"From the new route we not only expect winter vacation guests coming to Salzburg and surroundings but this is an attractive year-around connection and will also bring many passengers from Salzburg and Bavaria to Belfast”

https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/july/easyjet-announces-three-new-routes-from-belfast-international-airport

BFS BHD
10th Jul 2018, 18:08
EasyJet also increasing Alicante from three weekly to four weekly for Winter 2018/19.

BHD2BFS
11th Jul 2018, 09:32
Are these new routes and increased frequencies on top of current schedule or is it at the loss of other routes?

GAZMO
13th Jul 2018, 08:03
Looks like Ryanair is adding extra flights to Manchester in September and October this year making it 11 weekly for them two months.
Extra flights are on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday starting from 1st September. Flight times are loaded into the Ryanair App but not able to book yet.
Still going two daily for Winter 2018/19 season.

Would be good to see East Midlands added by Ryanair at some stage too!
Notice that these are now on sale. Very short time to fill these bookings?

SecondDog
13th Jul 2018, 20:21
Notice that these are now on sale. Very short time to fill these bookings?

Well it is Ryanair, they could launch a new route and not tell anyone...

EI-A330-300
13th Jul 2018, 23:50
The drop off fee is by in large a UK airport rip off charge. Airports should be in a position to provide the basic infrastructure for dropping off people.

All that said the £1 argument gets blown out of the water the minute you buy a pint or a coffee in DUB.

daa sell water for 1 euro, you make out that Belfast is cheap for such drinks when its not nor should it be.
____

Did Easyjet serve PRG before or was it just EI/LS?

Cozy F
14th Jul 2018, 04:15
Aer Lingus never flew Prague from Belfast, only Budapest.

Jet2, easyJet and briefly bmibaby have flown this route, I believe?

mart901
14th Jul 2018, 04:38
[QUOTE=EI-A330-300;10196205]The drop off fee is by in large a UK airport rip off charge. Airports should be in a position to provide the basic infrastructure for dropping off people.

daa sell water for 1 euro, you make out that Belfast is cheap for such drinks when its not nor should it be.
____

No its not particularly cheap there either but the point I'm making is the £1 set down charge saved by using DUB dissappears the minute you buy anything. Charging for this, much as I don't like it myself is standard and in fact more expensive than this in many other UK airports. And water is around the £1 a bottle mark in BFS.

OneBellEnd
14th Jul 2018, 23:45
So we’re having a debate about a £1 drop-off fee levied by a private airport company in line with standard airport practice across the country which, unlike in other similar airports, has never been increased since introduction.

Meanwhile, for the last fifteen years, since the Belfast - Dublin road was upgraded and paid for by EU funds, a toll of almost twice as much has been collected and pocketed against every vehicle making the journey south to Dublin Airport by the RoI authorities.

But apparently that’s fine and not even worthy of mention.

Couldn’t make it up....

AerRyan
15th Jul 2018, 00:00
My god the obsession with Dublin Airport is just absurd!

KNT544
15th Jul 2018, 00:41
I've never paid that toll and used the road countless times. Never to fly from DUB may I add :)

RND20
16th Jul 2018, 19:07
How are SWF and PVD doing?

GAZMO
16th Jul 2018, 19:24
Not great
just over 2000 to Newburgh and just over 1000 to Providence in May

Any body know how the new EZY routes are doing?

RND20
16th Jul 2018, 19:33
Ouch, think we'll see them next summer?

29Alpha
16th Jul 2018, 21:02
Not great
just over 2000 to Newburgh and just over 1000 to Providence in May

Any body know how the new EZY routes are doing?
they are doing double daily ex DUB in the winter, i think that says it all, bye bye Norwegian.

RND20
16th Jul 2018, 21:44
they are doing double daily ex DUB in the winter, i think that says it all, bye bye Norwegian.
Daily from Shannon too, disappointing

29Alpha
16th Jul 2018, 21:49
Daily from Shannon too, disappointing
when they're pulling bad loads like that i dont think they will be missed

SecondDog
16th Jul 2018, 21:55
when they're pulling bad loads like that i dont think they will be missed

Depends if they can get something to replace it. Even as an unfavoured TA option, it still ticks a box that is increasingly hard to cover.

29Alpha
16th Jul 2018, 22:01
Depends if they can get something to replace it. Even as an unfavoured TA option, it still ticks a box that is increasingly hard to cover.
hopefully everyone will end up happy with the end result

owenc
16th Jul 2018, 22:25
Wonder why it’s such a massive struggle to make nyc work? IS it lack of American demand? (Question directed at NI posters with local knowledge).

29Alpha
16th Jul 2018, 22:43
Owen, its just that DUB is where all transatlantic depts are on the island, it will be v hard to get a airline into BFS without a good deal on price/incentives.

owenc
16th Jul 2018, 22:54
Virgin seems to work, alongside Shannon.

RND20
17th Jul 2018, 00:53
Owen, its just that DUB is where all transatlantic depts are on the island, it will be v hard to get a airline into BFS without a good deal on price/incentives.
Belfast CAN support transatlantic, Shannon (an airport with 1.7m pax last yr) has 6 tatl airlines with flights to JFK,EWR,BOS,SWF,PVD,YYZ,PHL. The airport serves the 4th largest city on the island. Shannon is 2h20 from dublin (according to google). Belfast is 2h according to google. The distance from dublin cannot be used as an excuse imo. Maybe shannon is being milked by the irish government (feel free to correct me ) but SURELY an airline serving shannon could see that if it works from shannon, it could work from Belfast (2nd largest city on the island)

RND20
17th Jul 2018, 01:11
as for DUB, I think its a disgrace. Apparently theyre having serious issues with preclearence. Mingin DAA ego

West Brit
17th Jul 2018, 10:22
BFS marketing very quiet compared with a year ago. No list of jobs being created.......when last routes announced. Are they nervous? or are they working on something big?

29Alpha
17th Jul 2018, 10:26
BFS marketing very quiet compared with a year ago. No list of jobs being created.......when last routes announced. Are they nervous? or are they working on something big?
certain times of the week the security queues right out to check in hall, if they are working on something big then other things need adressed first

West Brit
17th Jul 2018, 11:02
Maybe the East terminal is being planned!

GAZMO
17th Jul 2018, 13:22
I noticed some building work going on at the west end of the terminal entrance.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this is?

SecondDog
17th Jul 2018, 15:18
I noticed some building work going on at the west end of the terminal entrance.

Can anyone enlighten me on what this is?

new check in toilets

SecondDog
17th Jul 2018, 15:20
certain times of the week the security queues right out to check in hall, if they are working on something big then other things need adressed first

Not certain times of the week. A number of times. It isn't solely down to passenger numbers though...

29Alpha
17th Jul 2018, 20:29
Not certain times of the week. A number of times. It isn't solely down to passenger numbers though...
yes dog, a couple of situations need addressed, security and handling being the 2 big ones. East apron built and the train track would be a good start

SecondDog
17th Jul 2018, 20:46
yes dog, a couple of situations need addressed, security and handling being the 2 big ones. East apron built and the train track would be a good start

I am fairly sure the 1st will be. Second is the problem of the Airlines, the Airport has minimal input.

East Apron is probable but the takeover will have to settle down first before we see how things lie.

train track is unlikely before 10 million annually (I believe the boss man has stated that figure before)

29Alpha
17th Jul 2018, 21:29
BFS will be some spot if it gets 10m+ lol, never mind a new east apron, the terminal would have to come down and get built again. Seriously but, a functioning government is the first step or we will get bollocks all!!!😲😲 #stormont is a joke

GAZMO
20th Jul 2018, 11:19
Cheapest airport parking at BFS, unless you get someone to drop you off for a £1........

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/lifestyle/cars/postcode-lottery-airport-parking-charges/

29Alpha
20th Jul 2018, 13:04
Good spot gazmo, il not be flying out of Luton lol£££££ ive been on a weeks hols abroad for less, i kid u not.....

BFS BHD
20th Jul 2018, 13:06
Looks like October is the last Norwegian services. S19 flights to US added from other airports but not BFS.

inOban
20th Jul 2018, 13:37
They're not loaded from Edinburgh either, although they've previously announced the flights.

owenc
20th Jul 2018, 13:38
Why have they kept cork on then?

20th Jul 2018, 13:53
Confusion on status of Norwegian Air International for UK-USA ops after March 29th?

That isn't an issue for Cork.

owenc
20th Jul 2018, 14:16
Just because it was mentioned to be struggling on various forums.

CCR
20th Jul 2018, 14:23
Winter traffic was relatively weak but the Cork-Providence route is doing well for the summer schedule apparently. Hence it will return after this winter season.

BFS BHD
20th Jul 2018, 23:41
Not 100% sure but I was looking on Jet2s Timetable and there appears to be a few extra flights to Reus and Faro around Easter next year.

GAZMO
21st Jul 2018, 07:07
Another drunken passenger on a Belfast flight
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-to-turkey-plane-grounded-in-germany-after-passenger-becomes-rowdy-37139932.html

29Alpha
21st Jul 2018, 09:16
Another drunken passenger on a Belfast flight
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-to-turkey-plane-grounded-in-germany-after-passenger-becomes-rowdy-37139932.html
is it time for air marshals yet i wonder?, if they stop selling alcohol would it help?

Alteagod
21st Jul 2018, 14:40
I have heard many a crew member bemone the end of smoking onboard as they often thought that passified many who had not flown before but now i believe that drink is not the issue rather the pills they pop b4 flying and then the effects of that and the drink. The CAA/ABTA could do well in some advertisements similar to the xmas dont drink and drive campaigns but geared towards airtravel.

corsaman
21st Jul 2018, 19:41
Not sure what happened in this case, but in my experience 99% of problems stem from illicit drinking of duty/tax frees.

LTNman
22nd Jul 2018, 04:50
Most passengers flying to Europe can’t buy duty free as it is not sold to passengers flying to EU countries although they can buy taxed booze.. The issue can be the airports proving pub environments both landslide and airside.

29Alpha
22nd Jul 2018, 13:13
Most passengers flying to Europe can’t buy duty free as it is not sold to passengers flying to EU countries although they can buy taxed booze.. The issue can be the airports proving pub environments both landslide and airside.
you can still buy alcohol duty free or not

SecondDog
22nd Jul 2018, 15:01

no matter how many pubs there are, an individual is responsible for their intake of any kind of drug. It is the passenger's responsibility to present themselves in a fit state to fly.

eastern wiseguy
22nd Jul 2018, 17:30
Is Turkey subject to that being outside of the EU?

True Blue
22nd Jul 2018, 18:19
No entitled to full duty free

BFS BHD
22nd Jul 2018, 20:27
Just looking at Virgin Atlantic Summer 2019 flights on their website and it seems that the flights are moving from a Monday departure to a Sunday departure starting 31st March 2019.

Also the extra Friday Service in June/July also moves from Friday to a Saturday.

So departures will be Saturdays and Sundays & arrivals will be Sundays and Mondays in the Summer High Season.

owenc
22nd Jul 2018, 20:50
Lots of BFS bashing on AIRLINERS.net and a guy saying that all roads lead to Dublin! Not up here!

And this constant reference to this journey of 2 hours to Dublin Airport. Irish posters can’t seem to grasp that there is a World north of Belfast. The Belfst Metropolitan area only accounts for a 1/3 of the NI population!

Coleraine, Ballymoney, Derry, Limavady, Ballycastle and their very own Donegal are all 140+ miles from Dublin Airport. Meaning a drive through the small hours of the night to get down there for a 9am flight.

You never see them mentioning us do you? It’s all about this so called 2 hour drive? 2 hours in what world? Not for us!!!

NWSRG
22nd Jul 2018, 21:33
So departures will be Saturdays and Sundays & arrivals will be Sundays and Mondays in the Summer High Season.

I wonder does this mean the incoming Sunday will operate the outbound as well? Would seem sensible...

SealinkBF
22nd Jul 2018, 22:03
Lots of BFS bashing on AIRLINERS.net and a guy saying that all roads lead to Dublin! Not up here!

And this constant reference to this journey of 2 hours to Dublin Airport. Irish posters can’t seem to grasp that there is a World north of Belfast. The Belfst Metropolitan area only accounts for a 1/3 of the NI population!

Coleraine, Ballymoney, Derry, Limavady, Ballycastle and their very own Donegal are all 140+ miles from Dublin Airport. Meaning a drive through the small hours of the night to get down there for a 9am flight.

You never see them mentioning us do you? It’s all about this so called 2 hour drive? 2 hours in what world? Not for us!!!

A two hour drive at the start of a holiday is nothing - it's the return home that would get me. You just want to get home!

29Alpha
22nd Jul 2018, 22:54
I wonder does this mean the incoming Sunday will operate the outbound as well? Would seem sensible...
good thinking but the aircraft come catered and fuelled to bfs from the mainland, cant see bfs catering and fuelling the beast so i cant....

SecondDog
23rd Jul 2018, 05:09
good thinking but the aircraft come catered and fuelled to bfs from the mainland, cant see bfs catering and fuelling the beast so i cant....

It already takes fuel here.

29Alpha
23rd Jul 2018, 10:13
It already takes fuel here.
only top ups

West Brit
23rd Jul 2018, 14:32
Well whether they fill her up or top her up, looks like Virgin are happy to go full season for another year. Interesting that the aircraft is being provided during the peak weekend, surely a vote of confidence which will only increase it's popularity.
Hopefully we will get a twice weekly minimum to Toronto and full service dailies to both NYC and the Middle East soon.

Startledgrapefruit
23rd Jul 2018, 15:14
Here is why I think Canada now fails to appear
30 / 40 years ago people left here to go and set up new lives in a new country
Family and friends went to visit. Now the ones who left are now in their late 70's to 80's or dead
The next wave of immigration was to Spain in the 90's hence the popularity of flights now.
Last week the Maple leaf club was knocked down .
That says it all

owenc
23rd Jul 2018, 18:13
Well whether they fill her up or top her up, looks like Virgin are happy to go full season for another year. Interesting that the aircraft is being provided during the peak weekend, surely a vote of confidence which will only increase it's popularity.
Hopefully we will get a twice weekly minimum to Toronto and full service dailies to both NYC and the Middle East soon.
I can’t see virgin offering NYC from Belfast. Maybe Delta

29Alpha
23rd Jul 2018, 20:22
I can’t see virgin offering NYC from Belfast. Maybe Delta
virgin is delta

owenc
23rd Jul 2018, 22:06
A 737 max is not in any way equivalent to a 747-400.

j636
23rd Jul 2018, 22:29
Secondary city flying by Delta is rare, can't see Belfast becoming an exception. United were the ideal carrier.

BFS BHD
23rd Jul 2018, 23:40
Any update on when the sale of the airport will be completed? And does anyone think the new owners will invest into the airport?

GAZMO
28th Jul 2018, 18:04
No wonder there are delays with 88mm of rainfall at BFS this afternoon

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1023241879847153666

emma1
29th Jul 2018, 22:22
oh what a dump of an airport

emma1
29th Jul 2018, 22:23
All Mgt away , And no access to tje red zone car park

29Alpha
30th Jul 2018, 11:04
To be honest the weather was shocking. After the event however there was no senior management from nobody out on the ramp directing operations, i think the airport and partners need a cobra operations room in these emergency situations

GAZMO
30th Jul 2018, 16:04
Caa stats out for June. 5.88 million passengers for last 12 months up 7.7% on last year

GAZMO
1st Aug 2018, 17:56
Surprising what people try to smuggle through BFS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45035792

29Alpha
2nd Aug 2018, 07:18
Surprising what people try to smuggle through BFS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45035792
what about the other stuff they cant tell us about, i think thats just the tip of the iceberg!

Alteagod
2nd Aug 2018, 11:52
Aye all the good stuff

GAZMO
2nd Aug 2018, 16:53
Grab a flight to USA for £79

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/uk-world/belfast-to-new-york-flights-slashed-to-79-by-norwegian-37178087.html

CabinCrewe
2nd Aug 2018, 17:46
oooft that doesnt bode well. Who can make a profit on that? Even good old Freddie couldnt.

snn20
2nd Aug 2018, 18:33
Looks like they're trying hard to flog seats. How are they doing?

29Alpha
2nd Aug 2018, 23:14
Looks like they're trying hard to flog seats. How are they doing?
looking to sell them off cheap for end of season before they piss off for the winter, maybe for ever???

GAZMO
3rd Aug 2018, 15:25
Here we go again !!!!!

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-international-airport-apologises-for-further-security-delays-37181551.html

Wish BT would change that photograph of check in area as it has been a long time ago that Jet2 flew to Blackpool!!

Startledgrapefruit
4th Aug 2018, 10:57
[QUOTE=GAZMO;10213712]Here we go again !!!!!

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-international-airport-apologises-for-further-security-delays-37181551.html

Oh it was so much fun when the Belfast Telegraph was bashing the City at every opportunity.

OneBellEnd
4th Aug 2018, 12:24
All swings and roundabouts.

29Alpha
4th Aug 2018, 18:20
[QUOTE=GAZMO;10213712]Here we go again !!!!!

Oh it was so much fun when the Belfast Telegraph was bashing the City at every opportunity.

​​​​​​​never mind the city, this is BFS own problem, bang on about all these extra flights then no extra resources to cope, they need to be very careful how to deal with this

BFS BHD
4th Aug 2018, 19:20
Maybe once the new owners take over things will improve. I hope the take-over happens soon if that's why they're not sorting out the security lines!!

SecondDog
4th Aug 2018, 21:26
Maybe once the new owners take over things will improve. I hope the take-over happens soon if that's why they're not sorting out the security lines!!

It's not.........

buzz_hornet
6th Aug 2018, 11:41
A tail of two airports. Traveled through the international on Friday and was completely embarrassed by airport staff in front of other passengers. We travel with one of the SA lanyards and when we dared to ask for help to ensure there was no awkward situations we got hounded and treated dirt. Contrast to Manchester for the return journey and it was seamless.

29Alpha
6th Aug 2018, 12:53
A tail of two airports. Traveled through the international on Friday and was completely embarrassed by airport staff in front of other passengers. We travel with one of the SA lanyards and when we dared to ask for help to ensure there was no awkward situations we got hounded and treated dirt. Contrast to Manchester for the return journey and it was seamless.
that is understandable but that isnt really the airport, the handler is the party there thats embarrassing, the whole low cost avaition network is the reason for this, they batter airports and handling companies and everyone else involved down to the bare minimum so that people are just churned out onto the ramp/checkin with bare minimum traning now that it is now a safety hazard. I was talking to a dispatcher the other day and they didnt even know where to take passengers out of the lounges to the various assembly areas!!

buzz_hornet
6th Aug 2018, 14:32
that is understandable but that isnt really the airport, the handler is the party there thats embarrassing, the whole low cost avaition network is the reason for this, they batter airports and handling companies and everyone else involved down to the bare minimum so that people are just churned out onto the ramp/checkin with bare minimum traning now that it is now a safety hazard. I was talking to a dispatcher the other day and they didnt even know where to take passengers out of the lounges to the various assembly areas!!

ironically thats pretty much what i said to the missus is that these folk are threw into the lions den with minimal training as they are essentially on there til the season ends. Maybe i could have worded it slightly better but having people staring and turning nose at you because you asked a simple question and someone flips out over it. I will highlight that last year the same person making a fuss couldn't have done anymore.

edi_local
6th Aug 2018, 17:49

Another issue is that because wages are so low and workload so high, people who work for handling agents simply don't care. They see it as just another job. Very few with a real interest or knowledge of the aviation industry want to work on the ground due to the poor conditions, so you're left with folk who see it as no different to working in a supermarket. It's just a job to get money. This goes up quite far sadly. I have had duty managers in the past who didn't know the difference between, say, an A320 and a 737 or who didn't even know how to reissue a ticket, yet they had worked their way up simply because they stayed the longest.

29Alpha
6th Aug 2018, 19:01
Another issue is that because wages are so low and workload so high, people who work for handling agents simply don't care. They see it as just another job. Very few with a real interest or knowledge of the aviation industry want to work on the ground due to the poor conditions, so you're left with folk who see it as no different to working in a supermarket. It's just a job to get money. This goes up quite far sadly. I have had duty managers in the past who didn't know the difference between, say, an A320 and a 737 or who didn't even know how to reissue a ticket, yet they had worked their way up simply because they stayed the longest.
i had a manager once who told me the wheel chocks were just for show and the pilfering out of peoples bags was 'ok'

True Blue
6th Aug 2018, 23:21
I have just been reading another story about a disabled person who alledges that the tools he needed to repair his wheelchair were taken off him by security at the weekend. He subsequently missed his flight, the airport has apologised and are making a payment to a local charity in lieu of compensation at his request.

What strikes me about this story and the posting from another passenger very recently is that in both cases, the security personnel were not prepared to listen to explanations, to think for a minute that these passengers might be telling the truth. Just listen for a few minutes. They just went straight to authority mode. Herein lies a problem because due to pay, terms and conditions, the wrong type of people might be recruited for these posts, people who are not able to use discretion or common sense. Although lack of common sense is a major problem now.

Another point strikes me. It is the airport that ends up with the very bad publicity, not ICTS. I understand fully why the airport has contracted out this work, but like many airports are now finding out, it is causing more problems that it solves. At a time or near full employment, these types of working contracts will attract no loyalty from employees and why should it. So the airport will just have more and more bad press as this situation escalates. At some point the airport might have to take security in house again and offer a better employment contract to attract and keep the quality staff. This is a problem for all airports and this might be the start of the death throws of out sourcing. However, we are all to blame. We don't want to pay that £1 to drop off or pick someone up. We want to fly to Spain for £20-30. If we want a better airport experience, then we will have to accept higher charges. However, if we are paying higher charges, then airports have to deliver, not put the extra revenue in their pockets. Lots of issues, what are the answers?

EGAC is Better
7th Aug 2018, 06:50
Meanwhile at City airport where the majority of my business travel has moved to, a new security search area is open, staff are pleasent and right in the middle of peak morning rush you can clear security in 5 mins.

Also worth noting that some airlines seem to be using this security mess to their commerical advantage. Naming no names but a number of weeks ago I purchased priorty security via an airline for my flight to Girona for just over £2.50. Next week I fly to Gdansk with the same airline who are now charging £6 for the same service 🤔 The entire operation is amatuerish. Somebody needs to get a grip and fix it.

SecondDog
7th Aug 2018, 07:53
Meanwhile at City airport where the majority of my business travel has moved to, a new security search area is open, staff are pleasent and right in the middle of peak morning rush you can clear security in 5 mins.

There is no comparison that can be made between a business centric operation like the city and the mix of loco-business plus loco-holiday traveller at Aldergrove. I don't know about you guys' knowledge bases with regards to the specifics of requirement within the search area but I absolutely guarantee you that the happy shiny people in City would transform into stressed out grumpers in no time should they transfer up the road... Even with TB's example above, I would imagine there was more to that story with the wheelchair tools (like for example, why he had to have them in the cabin when his chair would have been in the hold, what nature were the tools in regards to the dimensions etc. for measurement against dangerous implements restrictions (Workmen aren't allowed their tools onboard either so they go in the hold) But as with most things, the media machine kicks into gear when there is any story that can jerk a reaction capable of generating the required number of clicks. I realise the airport has apologised so ofcourse everyone assumes guilt on their part (rather than a complicated scenario played out in a very short timescale where common sense on the part of even a security supervisor might have pleased this gentleman but still cost the supervisor their job for overstepping their increasingly tight (DFT set) restrictions)

I don't wish to try and explain away everything, it is quite clear the Security provision needs a wee shake up. Hopefully that will happen soon but please try and look a wee bit deeper than the surface of the matter.

29Alpha
7th Aug 2018, 08:20
City indeed is no security comparison, if you are present at both airports you will agree.

BFS watcher
7th Aug 2018, 09:31
This is the link on the UK government website https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/work-tools , spanners and wrenches not allowed in hand luggage.
Where this fell down is the customer service of perhaps helping the guy check-in his luggage. The security team had no choice, and they would be hammered
if they let it through as the CAA are continually monitoring airports with visits almost every week. Also believe that there is a full tender process underway for the
contract.

True Blue
7th Aug 2018, 09:49
It is how these issues are handled that are the problem. Too often, security person jumps straight into "you can't take that" rather than maybe passing the passenger onto some with more authority to help. So much depends on how these security teams are organised, do they work together etc. What is clear, it is not working well at the moment.

SecondDog
7th Aug 2018, 16:49
City indeed is no security comparison, if you are present at both airports you will agree.

cannot be compared in realistic terms. If you are present at both, you should know this already. Different type of customer with different needs and states of preparedness (regular business folk compared with holiday once a yearers) and also a vast reduction in the amount of items screened at City as a result. Not to mention the different type of contents requiring fewer interventions from the searchers etc.

Can we put aside the competitive crap in our analysis and think about the facts.

SecondDog
7th Aug 2018, 17:02
It is how these issues are handled that are the problem. Too often, security person jumps straight into "you can't take that" rather than maybe passing the passenger onto some with more authority to help. So much depends on how these security teams are organised, do they work together etc. What is clear, it is not working well at the moment.

TB, true. Send the guy back to the Airline to get the item checked in was what should happen but that is why I mention timescale. Not always possible considering how late in the process it is. There is no leeway for the Sec. Agents though, so jumping straight to 'can't take it' is their job. As for having someone with more authority to help him, that would also be a hinderance to the set up in the long run (when everyone started asking for the senior staffer), not to mention an uneccessary step given that the rules are in place and the onus is on the passenger to present themselves in line with the restrictions as given by their airline during the booking process.

I agree with Watcher above, the new Contractor will hopefully reinvigorate things a bit.

EGAC is Better
7th Aug 2018, 20:24
cannot be compared in realistic terms. If you are present at both, you should know this already. Different type of customer with different needs and states of preparedness (regular business folk compared with holiday once a yearers) and also a vast reduction in the amount of items screened at City as a result. Not to mention the different type of contents requiring fewer interventions from the searchers etc.

Can we put aside the competitive crap in our analysis and think about the facts.

No competive crap in my statement SecondDog. Simple fact. My username was created in jest a number of years ago when bashing the other airport was rife on this forum.

I would contend that it is a very valid comparision. As a business, your clientelle have to served. To do so you have to learn how they operate and adjust appropriately. I regularly in the last number of weeks have passed through City at morning peak in around 5 mins. At Aldergrove, at a peak time, with priority security it had become normal to spend 15 minutes in a queue. I would argue the people in Aldergroves priority queue are primarily business orientated travellers.

The sooner it is accepted that security at Aldergrove is not up to scratch, the sooner it can be address. Head’s in the sand, hoping it’ll go away will not solve the problem.

SecondDog
8th Aug 2018, 00:37
No competive crap in my statement SecondDog. Simple fact. My username was created in jest a number of years ago when bashing the other airport was rife on this forum.

I would contend that it is a very valid comparision. As a business, your clientelle have to served. To do so you have to learn how they operate and adjust appropriately. I regularly in the last number of weeks have passed through City at morning peak in around 5 mins. At Aldergrove, at a peak time, with priority security it had become normal to spend 15 minutes in a queue. I would argue the people in Aldergroves priority queue are primarily business orientated travellers.

The sooner it is accepted that security at Aldergrove is not up to scratch, the sooner it can be address. Head’s in the sand, hoping it’ll go away will not solve the problem.

The security at BFS is already being addressed. It just isn't a wave a wand type scenario (Any of you who know GK know that if he could have changed it immediately, he would have.)

Your contention about the makeup of the queue is not correct. All the airlines flog it like a dead horse online and in some cases lump it in with other products that increase search time.

No head in the sand here, mine has been in the search area plenty this year. Perhaps I just have a different perspective.

SecondDog
8th Aug 2018, 00:41
I should note that my most recent trip I processed through the standard line for security in well under 5 minutes.

EGAC is Better
8th Aug 2018, 20:57
The security at BFS is already being addressed. It just isn't a wave a wand type scenario (Any of you who know GK know that if he could have changed it immediately, he would have.)

Your contention about the makeup of the queue is not correct. All the airlines flog it like a dead horse online and in some cases lump it in with other products that increase search time.

No head in the sand here, mine has been in the search area plenty this year. Perhaps I just have a different perspective.

Not to labour the point because I guess we aren’t going to agree. However, at the times I travel through Aldergrove, I would estimate upwards of 80% of those in the priorty queue are suited or smart casual carrying laptops. It is safe to assume business travel for most of those.

I’m not bashing the people on the ground. On the face of it, the entire security hall in its current form is unfit for purpose. It cannot satisfactorily handle the volume in a reasonable time, consistently.

Like the MD or not, this is a failure and he ultimately carries the can. A well prepared and planned operation wouldn’t need to be wishing they could ‘wave a wand’ to fix this. Its hardly unexpected that the airport has this many travellers going through.

29Alpha
8th Aug 2018, 22:30
Not to labour the point because I guess we aren’t going to agree. However, at the times I travel through Aldergrove, I would estimate upwards of 80% of those in the priorty queue are suited or smart casual carrying laptops. It is safe to assume business travel for most of those.

I’m not bashing the people on the ground. On the face of it, the entire security hall in its current form is unfit for purpose. It cannot satisfactorily handle the volume in a reasonable time, consistently.

Like the MD or not, this is a failure and he ultimately carries the can. A well prepared and planned operation wouldn’t need to be wishing they could ‘wave a wand’ to fix this. Its hardly unexpected that the airport has this many travellers going through.
point taken and fair enough, but the security hall and facade was built before the md arrived. The md cannot break a contract without good reason and with compensation also.

GAZMO
9th Aug 2018, 10:07
Maybe security will improve!!!!!

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/security-services-at-belfast-international-airport-put-out-to-tender-37197755.html

SecondDog
9th Aug 2018, 12:39

It isn't a case of not agreeing. It more a case of agreeing that what you see (or are presented with by the media) might not be as clear cut behind the scenes. (For example, I believe the hall would have been capable of processing the current forecast loads but other factors at play have both caused and highlighted the bad times and painted them as ever present when they are not)

You say that the MD carries the can but that is really just a PR carrying of the can for those who want to wail at someone. He has actually done (instigated) a lot behind the scenes to improve performance.

I cannot really talk about the details (which is frustrating) but it could have been much worse than it has been if not for the efforts of many Airport and ICTS staff going the extra mile to assist.

I, like some of the others below/above believe that life should improve under the new contractor come October.

EGAC is Better
9th Aug 2018, 16:25
It isn't a case of not agreeing. It more a case of agreeing that what you see (or are presented with by the media) might not be as clear cut behind the scenes. (For example, I believe the hall would have been capable of processing the current forecast loads but other factors at play have both caused and highlighted the bad times and painted them as ever present when they are not)

You say that the MD carries the can but that is really just a PR carrying of the can for those who want to wail at someone. He has actually done (instigated) a lot behind the scenes to improve performance.

I cannot really talk about the details (which is frustrating) but it could have been much worse than it has been if not for the efforts of many Airport and ICTS staff going the extra mile to assist.

I, like some of the others below/above believe that life should improve under the new contractor come October.

I’m glad to hear the MD has made changes and has been working to try fix things. I guess my perceptions are based on what I see when I travel through and I haven’t witnessed any improvement.

The hall desperately needs powered rollers and a screen to stop people from congrgating around the first body scanners. Hopefully thats on the list of things to fix.

I also don’t doubt it could have been much worse. Hopefully those staff who have gone the extra mile get recognised when the dust settles.

29Alpha
9th Aug 2018, 16:59
I’m glad to hear the MD has made changes and has been working to try fix things. I guess my perceptions are based on what I see when I travel through and I haven’t witnessed any improvement.

The hall desperately needs powered rollers and a screen to stop people from congrgating around the first body scanners. Hopefully thats on the list of things to fix.

I also don’t doubt it could have been much worse. Hopefully those staff who have gone the extra mile get recognised when the dust settles.

theres no other word for it, some of the staff were doing quite disgusting shifts, 0200 starts till maybe 18 or 19 finishes just to help the company out

mart901
10th Aug 2018, 19:02
Anyone know why so many delays tonight?

Alteagod
10th Aug 2018, 19:19
Weather is being a little challenging

mart901
10th Aug 2018, 19:40
The storms across the water?

NWSRG
14th Aug 2018, 16:28
Flew from BFS to PVD and back over the last fortnight. I'm not into the BFS v BHD slanging match that sometimes happens on here, and I usually like to use BFS simply because it's handier for me. But this trip has highlighted how much BFS is in need of rebuilding. The whole place is tired, it has no natural flow, and is just getting a bit grotty. PVD handles 3.9 million passengers per year, compared to 5.5 million (or so) at BFS...and yet is a superb facility. State ownership probably helps though. We can only hope that the new owners commit to rebuilding. It's sorely needed for what is still our main gateway.

On a separate note, both outbound and inbound flights were full. And on both, the passenger load seemed to have a strong proportion of US travelers. The MAX 8 is impressive, and quiet...it was a comfortable flight. Let's hope we can hold onto it.

GAZMO
14th Aug 2018, 16:42
Great to note good load factors on the PVD flights and hopefully will be back next year but...........!!

SecondDog
14th Aug 2018, 17:21
Flew from BFS to PVD and back over the last fortnight. I'm not into the BFS v BHD slanging match that sometimes happens on here, and I usually like to use BFS simply because it's handier for me. But this trip has highlighted how much BFS is in need of rebuilding. The whole place is tired, it has no natural flow, and is just getting a bit grotty. PVD handles 3.9 million passengers per year, compared to 5.5 million (or so) at BFS...and yet is a superb facility. State ownership probably helps though. We can only hope that the new owners commit to rebuilding. It's sorely needed for what is still our main gateway.

On a separate note, both outbound and inbound flights were full. And on both, the passenger load seemed to have a strong proportion of US travelers. The MAX 8 is impressive, and quiet...it was a comfortable flight. Let's hope we can hold onto it.

State ownership 'probably' helps? It explains why half Spain's airports still exist never mind those closer to home.... I really hope the new owners (should the deal complete) are interested in rebuilding but I imagine the immediate would be nips and tucks rather than massive expansion.

29Alpha
14th Aug 2018, 18:44
Was through lanzarote last week 😁 and although they have similar pax numbers per year, their airport is a world away from BFS. Big ceiling fans, excellent flow of pax through security into departure area 30c outside, all environmental to keep place cool, big wake up call needed

SecondDog
14th Aug 2018, 20:51
Was through lanzarote last week 😁 and although they have similar pax numbers per year, their airport is a world away from BFS. Big ceiling fans, excellent flow of pax through security into departure area 30c outside, all environmental to keep place cool, big wake up call needed

it was also built in 1999, just a wee bitty after BFS. The Spanish airports are not a good comparison to our wee slice of unplanning heaven. It is what they rely on for their major industry, of course they will be funded better and refurbed more often.

AerRyan
15th Aug 2018, 00:32
it was also built in 1999, just a wee bitty after BFS. The Spanish airports are not a good comparison to our wee slice of unplanning heaven. It is what they rely on for their major industry, of course they will be funded better and refurbed more often.

While the Spanish often do rely on their airports for their major industry, they do a piss poor job managing most of them. Lanzarote is a beautiful exception (although far from perfect).

NWSRG
15th Aug 2018, 13:22
State ownership 'probably' helps? .

Yes SD...but the USA is not Spain. While the USA is seen as the capitalist capital of the world, they still recognise that public ownership of infrastructure can work very well. The State of Rhode Island owns PVD and clearly they've put a lot of money into making it a great airport. It's an example of what can be done with a facility the size of Aldergrove, if the wider support is there for it.
I have no idea how we make that work in the model we currently have (never mind the lack of an assembly), but Aldergrove needs investment badly.

SecondDog
15th Aug 2018, 14:14
Yes SD...but the USA is not Spain. While the USA is seen as the capitalist capital of the world, they still recognise that public ownership of infrastructure can work very well. The State of Rhode Island owns PVD and clearly they've put a lot of money into making it a great airport. It's an example of what can be done with a facility the size of Aldergrove, if the wider support is there for it.
I have no idea how we make that work in the model we currently have (never mind the lack of an assembly), but Aldergrove needs investment badly.

Well of course, that is the point I am making. The state owns the airport and the money they invest doesn't have to come from the profit made by the airport. BFS is a business and has to make money. The kind of investment that people on here seem to think should be spent without thought is well outside the margins. You will find that private companies and their shareholders are not so keen on long term investment sums. That is before we even consider the lack of infrastructure around the airport that the non government fails to update....

NWSRG
15th Aug 2018, 23:08
You will find that private companies and their shareholders are not so keen on long term investment sums.

...which might be the one chink of light. The new owners are exactly that type of company...they focus on long term infrastructure projects. We can only hope...

SecondDog
16th Aug 2018, 00:58
...which might be the one chink of light. The new owners are exactly that type of company...they focus on long term infrastructure projects. We can only hope...

Aye, if indeed it is us they are interested in. Fingers crossed. Lack of any type of government is what is killing us. Scotland will bin the APD long before we can do it and they will mop up all the services that it will generate.

GAZMO
20th Aug 2018, 10:08
Another great piece of publicity for BFS

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/health/fathers-fury-as-he-says-autistic-son-was-poorly-treated-at-northern-ireland-airport-37230983.html

True Blue
20th Aug 2018, 11:38
Cardiff Airport, much smaller than Bfs and with Bristol not that far away, can support a 2 weekly flight to Madrid. Why has Bfs not been able to secure a route to Madrid? I know many people who go to Madrid but have to go via Dublin. Any views?

PDXCWL45
20th Aug 2018, 11:55
Cardiff Airport, much smaller than Bfs and with Bristol not that far away, can support a 2 weekly flight to Madrid. Why has Bfs not been able to secure a route to Madrid? I know many people who go to Madrid but have to go via Dublin. Any views?
I think CWLs relationship with Vueling helped with that. Also the focus is also just as much on inbound tourism considering IB are a Spanish airline and it is a seasonal route. June to September.

Startledgrapefruit
20th Aug 2018, 11:59
The curse of outsourcing
Bet the "manager in charge" at he airport is having meeting with contact manager today
Then reports back to airport director saying improvement plan will be implemented.
What they mean is they passed the buck and their bad management has gone on to survive another bad report in the media.
Before outsourcing the management,team supervisor and staff involved would be writing reports and getting balliks kicked.
Then before outsourcing job satisfaction and team work would prevent most issues happening

GAZMO
20th Aug 2018, 15:04
And it gets better.......

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/1005718/easyjet-flights-holidays-majorca-cabin-crew

EI-BUD
20th Aug 2018, 16:29
True Blue,
If anybody was to MAD, it would need to be Ryanair or Iberia Express. But both of those are big on the aforementioned route. Dublin has as many as 6 flights a day, do not an easy proposition to get over the line...

EI BUD

DC9_10
21st Aug 2018, 18:35
This would have best been placed on the easyJet thread Gazmo. **** me lad your like the grim reaper. The airport management and operational staff have no control over a particular airline operator working its staff to the max in the height of the summer season. I worked for giroJet for a long time, was a union rep and regularly would go fatigued when they took the piss with rosters. Safety is the number one priority after all but **** the crew who are operating.

SWBKCB
22nd Aug 2018, 11:56
I think GAZMO's point was that the airport keeps appearing in negative news stories - irrespective of whether they are responsible or not.

This one definitely looks like the airports responsibility

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45270594 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45270594)

El Bunto
22nd Aug 2018, 12:36
Safety is the number one priority after all

I know it has become a trope but I wish people would stop saying that. The priority for a company is to fulfill its business objectives, generally aligned with making money. Otherwise it will cease to function.

They are constrained in pursuing that by H&S legislation. A balance is therefore sought between (1) achieving the business objectives and (2) accepting the risk i.e. the lack of total safety. Here's the formal definition:

A safe system of work is a procedure to eliminate the risk involved in an operation. If elimination is not possible, then, at least, to reduce the risk to an acceptable level.

If safety was truly the priority then no work would occur if the risk couldn't be completely eliminated.

BFS watcher
22nd Aug 2018, 13:38
Believe airport has been quietly compensating everyone affected by the flood. Can you imagine any other company doing that. An absolute Act of God, record daily rainfall and a few cars were damaged. But then the BBC are not the biggest fans of BFS.

Startledgrapefruit
22nd Aug 2018, 15:46
Believe airport has been quietly compensating everyone affected by the flood. Can you imagine any other company doing that. An absolute Act of God, record daily rainfall and a few cars were damaged. But then the BBC are not the biggest fans of BFS.
But if your car park does not drain then it's not an act of God.

SWBKCB
22nd Aug 2018, 15:47
Is the compensation for the flood, or for not telling them?

EGAC is Better
22nd Aug 2018, 16:20
But if your car park does not drain then it's not an act of God.

+1. If the article is true and they choose not to tell the customers, that is poor form. If true, this summer is going from bad to worse on the operational side of the house.

Edit: This seems to be escalating in the press and is now in danger of becoming a total PR disaster. The airports refusal to speak isn’t helping matters.

SecondDog
22nd Aug 2018, 20:48
+1. If the article is true and they choose not to tell the customers, that is poor form. If true, this summer is going from bad to worse on the operational side of the house.

Edit: This seems to be escalating in the press and is now in danger of becoming a total PR disaster. The airports refusal to speak isn’t helping matters.

The article (along with the two Special Assistance stories of recent times) are all utter tosh.

Car Park one is a complete fabrication with hypothetical discussion on top of chinese whispers. Why would a private company have to broadcast any details about their dealings behind the scenes with ALL affected clients to a public audience.

The man with the spanners was correctly handled by the security team, as was the little boy with Autism. The reporting here is utter tripe, playing to the baying mob.

OneBellEnd
22nd Aug 2018, 20:49
Perhaps like every other reasonable business they simply don’t wish to be trailed around by the nose by the grossly over-populated BBC and the biggest country in the show!? Facts will come to light some way or other.

tigger2k8
22nd Aug 2018, 21:28
The article (along with the two Special Assistance stories of recent times) are all utter tosh.

Car Park one is a complete fabrication with hypothetical discussion on top of chinese whispers. Why would a private company have to broadcast any details about their dealings behind the scenes with ALL affected clients to a public audience.

The man with the spanners was correctly handled by the security team, as was the little boy with Autism. The reporting here is utter tripe, playing to the baying mob.

Ever since the issue with security at the start of the summer its just been dig after dig..

Anyone with common sense should know that with security, you can't take a tool kit, its on the prohibited items list.. if there was more time it could have been planned or travelled in the hold, but you can't fault security for doing their job... as for the boy with autism, security would not have seperated him from the parent... i believe the grandmother was with him? Every one is out to try and get a bit of compensation / attention now..

As for the car parking... as long as they were contacting all affected customers then I don't see the issue, its been nearly 4 weeks since the worst rain in years... why is this only coming out now? I am sure that all affected didn't have nearly a 3 week holiday my guess is someone didn't get as much compensation as they wanted.. they are lucky they are getting anything, regardless if the drains are in place or not, it still probably falls under an act of God.. plus the disclaimer that the operator isn't responsible for any damage / theft while parked..

True Blue
23rd Aug 2018, 08:11
Well done Belfast International. And I am really pleased you have come out with the facts and put the record straight.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/belfast-international-airport-chief-graham-keddie-outlines-facts-over-car-park-flooding-37242742.html

panpanpanpan
23rd Aug 2018, 11:58
A manager that takes responsibility and talks to the press on his own terms and refutes the absurd rumours that are out there.

Harbour management take note, you see you can talk to the press to challenge bullsh*t when necessary. Hiding away breeds more rumours and inaccurate speculation.

West Brit
23rd Aug 2018, 14:09
Went through BFS Saturday 11th for mid afternoon flight. Took on board all bad publicity on here and on the media so went with an open mind.
Park and fly had to park quite far from bus, maybe a few more pointers to locate rows, probably not unique to BFS, regular shuttle buses.
Flight check-in bright and airy building went smoothly. Round to security, a lot of departures due in the afternoon, no que straight through.
Main terminal absolutely fine, toilets etc modern like any other airport, a little walk along international pier to departures.
Flight called for boarding, the stairs were drab and going down I am sure there will have been a few near misses.
Summing up overall good experience no buckets under dripping roofs (well it wasn't raining). I suppose the park and fly bus drop off could be more centrally located for parking, more row number markers.. no complaints within the terminal apart from the stairs at the gate. There are of course stairs at other airports I have used, so not a BFS issue although a few more airbridges would be welcome.
Overall impression did what it said on the packet, nothing outstanding, would dissappear as a memory into any other airport I have flown through if it was my only experience of BFS.

Startledgrapefruit
23rd Aug 2018, 16:21
See the rains on. Better get the drain rods out !!!

Blackfriar
24th Aug 2018, 08:01
BFS looks a little tired and could do with some fresh paint and a clean up outside. It performs well compared to some other airports, e.g. Bristol where, despite a brand new building in the last 20 years and numerous extensions, security is problematic, longer walks than BFS are the norm and coaching to remote stands feels like you have left Somerset and gone to Devon. I used to work as a despatcher at BFS in the 80s and can't believe how the passenger numbers have increased since then. On the downside no Vanguards, whistling wheelbarrows, Daks and other assorted museum pieces on the cargo ramp now.

GAZMO
29th Aug 2018, 07:22
CAA stats for July 5,949825 pax on 12 month rolling. Up 11% compared to same time last year. Maybe will hit the six million next month

Some big increases on Domestic front
EDI +37%
MAN +54%
BHX + 49
GLA + 31
NCL +14%

IOM 2397 passengers in the month (85% LF)

EI-BUD
29th Aug 2018, 07:33
Especially great to see IOM doing so well. Traditionally Belfast has long been one of the largest markets from IOM, sadly has declined in recent years (like many others), but hopefully that trend will reverse. Also nice little short sector that fits in around current flying programme.

Wonder in the current client would easyJet add an extra domestic point at daily frequency (or similar to IOM) like Leeds or Aberdeen and as summer routes either Newquay or at a stretch Bournemouth. I suspect that Southampton as a daily leisure market could be sustained, and Flybe have this market well developed from both Belfast and Dublin. Thoughts?

GAZMO
29th Aug 2018, 08:45
I always thought that if EZY were to look at another domestic route from BFS it would be LBA or EMA

BFS BHD
29th Aug 2018, 20:16
https://www.vinci-airports.com/en/news/vinci-airports-finalizes-takeover-8-airports-united-states-united-kingdom-costa-rica-and-sweden

carsonEGAD
2nd Sep 2018, 23:24
https://www.vinci-airports.com/en/news/vinci-airports-finalizes-takeover-8-airports-united-states-united-kingdom-costa-rica-and-sweden

Happy days, hopefully they'll start pumping some funds into the airport soon.

BFS BHD
3rd Sep 2018, 14:48
https://nitravelnews.com/news/jet2-com-and-jet2holidays-announces-50-local-jobs-in-belfast/

SecondDog
3rd Sep 2018, 16:05
https://nitravelnews.com/news/jet2-com-and-jet2holidays-announces-50-local-jobs-in-belfast/

They certainly seem to grow consistently. The Holidays product is very well put together.

BFS BHD
5th Sep 2018, 13:35
Gdansk, Krakow, Warsaw & Wroclaw times now showing for Summer 2019 but not able to book yet. No changes from S18.

BHD2BFS
7th Sep 2018, 14:15
Any thruth to the rumour Norwegian is exiting Belfast ?

GAZMO
7th Sep 2018, 17:49
I would not be surprised it they pull the plug. Load Factors have not been great.

OK if you are flying point to point but if you need a USA connection I find DUB and LHR more useful

BFS BHD
8th Sep 2018, 13:39
Now on sale... Wednesday & Sunday flights.

Arrives 0725 and departs 0755.

Startledgrapefruit
8th Sep 2018, 14:19
Any thruth to the rumour Norwegian is exiting Belfast ?
Dont worry. The folks on the hill will sort it................

DC9_10
8th Sep 2018, 23:55
But no one's on the hill at present. The lights are on but no-one at home.

SecondDog
9th Sep 2018, 03:45
But no one's on the hill at present. The lights are on but no-one at home.

And we're there.....

El Bunto
9th Sep 2018, 05:26
Dont worry. The folks on the hill will sort it................

Well of course that was satire, but why would we need politicians involved in air transport anyway? They should be kept as far away as possible from anything flying.

Belfast International is a privately-owned airport, Norwegian is a publicly-listed company. There should be no intersection with Stormont at all. If the pair of them can't make the routes add-up then that's just the market at work.

Alteagod
9th Sep 2018, 08:47
Believe they moving down the road to take up the FR LGW relinquished slots

West Brit
9th Sep 2018, 09:25
Nowegian currently have an arrangement with EZY to feed flights from BFS at LGW. What you are saying is that they are going to go into competition with EZY and start an operation to LGW from BHD to benefit passengers who live in North Down?

Startledgrapefruit
9th Sep 2018, 12:19
Nowegian currently have an arrangement with EZY to feed flights from BFS at LGW. What you are saying is that they are going to go into competition with EZY and start an operation to LGW from BHD to benefit passengers who live in North Down?

"Agreement" Test the water. See the loads and if good go it alone ?

DC9_10
9th Sep 2018, 13:32
Hahaha so Norwegian giving up the transatlantic routes in favour of BHD to LGW. Get real ,wishful thinking lad. They share with easyJet for connections at Gatwick and have reduced massive in the UK.

Startledgrapefruit
9th Sep 2018, 13:51
Hahaha so Norwegian giving up the transatlantic routes in favour of BHD to LGW. Get real ,wishful thinking lad. They share with easyJet for connections at Gatwick and have reduced massive in the UK.
And they laughed when it was said
BMI and Aer Lingus we're doing the same
Oh and Manx2

DC9_10
9th Sep 2018, 14:26
BMI, who I worked for as ground and cabin crew were going bust, then went bust and were saved by BA . Manx2/Citiwing unsafe airline who stopped trading as the CAA stepped in. Lingus who only operate 1 route now as they sub charter
the AGP/FAO to ASL on an ever decreasing summer schedule. Haha

Startledgrapefruit
9th Sep 2018, 14:38
BMI, who I worked for as ground and cabin crew were going bust, then went bust and were saved by BA . Manx2/Citiwing unsafe airline who stopped trading as the CAA stepped in. Lingus who only operate 1 route now as they sub charter
the AGP/FAO to ASL on an ever decreasing summer schedule. Haha
Norwegian. Failing transatlantic route
Looks like they will make the move then !!

DC9_10
9th Sep 2018, 14:44
The routes are not failing so let's wait and see. Certainly won't be seen at BHD.

Startledgrapefruit
9th Sep 2018, 15:07
Let's see !!