PDA

View Full Version : Belfast International-2

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Husky One
12th Dec 2017, 10:06
It's Eastern that serve the IOM not Flybe. The latter gave it up years ago. Eastern only cater for businessmen. This is clearly pitched at the leisure end however Easyjet started from LPL-IOM in a similar fashion and it's now daily. As for the 319 not being suitable for short sectors..what about GLA then - seems to work just fine. I'd also wager the fares will be less than half that offered by Eastern.

A320.b744
12th Dec 2017, 10:07
Yes it's a nice big comfy A3xx but a 65nm route is really not an efficient use of the type. It will be barely topping-out at FL150 before commencing descent.

Unless they operated IoM as a pass-through onto other destinations, as JEA used to with the F27s, I don't see how this will be much more affordable than Eastern.

To put it in context, the only shorter routes on an A320 that I can think of are Fuertaventura to Arrecife which are really positioning flights with pax permitted.

I picked random dates, and it works out BFS-IOM return is £49. Comparatively, the same dates (25-29 June) cost an extortionate £289 with Eastern/Flybe.

easyJet have been able to make LPL-IOM work, which is currently their shortest route, and only 15nm longer than BFS-IOM. Prices are also £49 return, and the only major difference is that the A319 is used instead of the A320.

BFS BHD
12th Dec 2017, 11:00
Fourth route to Venice will be on sale in the new year according to the Irish News Website:

The airline has confirmed that from June it will operate flights from Belfast International Airport to Naples, Valencia and the Isle of Man, while the Irish News understands that a second Italian route, believed to be Venice, will be confirmed in the new year.
EasyJet adds to Christmas cheer with three new Belfast routes - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2017/12/12/news/easyjet-adds-to-christmas-cheer-with-three-new-belfast-routes-1208248/?param=ds441rif44T)

BFS BHD
12th Dec 2017, 11:02
Very good to see Naples. Something different, finally.

Jet2 also flying to Naples in S18 once a week.

BHD2BFS
12th Dec 2017, 11:42
Great news again should be another significant rise in passenger numbers next year.

One has to ask though what is the airport planning on doing with updating the terminal. Arrivals area still looks dated and dark, the destinations at gates being show on a plank of wood and the appearance of the international pier is crying out for some investment.
Does anyone know what the airports plans are for redevelopment. The city airport with passenger numbers falling is presently having a facelift and they are the losers at the moment

mart901
12th Dec 2017, 12:28
I picked random dates, and it works out BFS-IOM return is £49. Comparatively, the same dates (25-29 June) cost an extortionate £289 with Eastern/Flybe.

easyJet have been able to make LPL-IOM work, which is currently their shortest route, and only 15nm longer than BFS-IOM. Prices are also £49 return, and the only major difference is that the A319 is used instead of the A320.

Yes I agree the fares are hideous and the frequency isn't as good as their predecessor, however, imagine you are flying for a meeting on a Monday, you can't fly back with EZY until Friday. It's only really any good for leisure users. No doubt BE will reduce fares a bit now.

West Brit
12th Dec 2017, 12:50
We need middle east, the amount of folk I know travelling there via various means, well makes me wonder. It is just a matter of time!

Refuellerman
12th Dec 2017, 12:58
Any idea if base crew will be flying the routes or will be like bcn pmi etc?

MaverickPrime
12th Dec 2017, 13:59
We need middle east, the amount of folk I know travelling there via various means, well makes me wonder. It is just a matter of time!

I would imagine that a BFS-AUH/DOH/DXB route would only harm the business in Dublin. I think we are still a few years away from getting a direct route to the ME.

PPRuNeUser0176
12th Dec 2017, 14:21
Airlines like EK, EY have people employed in NI to put business to DUB or via UK routes. I can't see a direct route but TK is probally must likely if it even happens.

Una Due Tfc
12th Dec 2017, 15:46
A321LR with QR could be an outside bet one day

BFS BHD
12th Dec 2017, 17:20
Thomas Cook Long Haul Summer 2019 flights go on sale on Thursday. Lets hope there is an increase in flights.

True Blue
12th Dec 2017, 17:48
I wonder if we will ever see the 3rd Ryanair at Bfs, or is that now dead in the water?

mart901
12th Dec 2017, 18:08
Does FR ever deliver the number of aircraft they say they will....

A320.b744
12th Dec 2017, 19:19
I wonder if we will ever see the 3rd Ryanair at Bfs, or is that now dead in the water?

What people always seem to forget is that a huge number of Ryanair flights are operated by non-based aircraft. For an airline such as Jet2, all routes are operated by BFS based aircraft, so obviously more based aircraft means more routes. But for Ryanair, they can add a number of new routes without having to add any new aircraft. Of course, another based aircraft means more pilot and cabin crew jobs, which is good for the economy, but ultimately it is the routes themselves that are worth a lot more.

lfc84
12th Dec 2017, 22:34

The A320 is scheduled to operate LPL-IOM on some sectors

BFS BHD
13th Dec 2017, 11:22
Giant TUI (B738) model at the front of the terminal . Any idea what its for?

Refuellerman
13th Dec 2017, 11:48
Giant TUI (B738) model at the front of the terminal . Any idea what its for?

Well models are usually for modelling 😂🛫 maybe it will take off some night and go to spain😂😂

canberra97
13th Dec 2017, 15:56
Great news again should be another significant rise in passenger numbers next year.

One has to ask though what is the airport planning on doing with updating the terminal. Arrivals area still looks dated and dark, the destinations at gates being show on a plank of wood and the appearance of the international pier is crying out for some investment.
Does anyone know what the airports plans are for redevelopment. The city airport with passenger numbers falling is presently having a facelift and they are the losers at the moment

I was really hoping that posters who are familiar with what you have described would have replied as I too would be very interested in what BFS have in mind when it comes to the outdated terminal.

GAZMO
13th Dec 2017, 16:59
Interesting arrival in the morning

BEIRUT-RAFIC HAIRI FHY945 06:30

BFS BHD
13th Dec 2017, 17:09
That's Freebird Airlines will be a A320

SecondDog
13th Dec 2017, 17:49
I was really hoping that posters who are familiar with what you have described would have replied as I too would be very interested in what BFS have in mind when it comes to the outdated terminal.

I think BFS gets a harsh review compared to other airports where the bits that look their age are emphasised over the bits that have been updated.

Having said that, I understand some improvements are on the way. Notably new check in toilets at long last.

BFS BHD
13th Dec 2017, 19:05
I think they are also looking at adding more retail space.

Refuellerman
13th Dec 2017, 20:06
They would need to look into improving the aesthetics of the outside, looks like 1990s

SecondDog
13th Dec 2017, 20:39
Again,only parts do. Plus, it is only aesthetic and is not gonna generate revenue, whereas retail is and will be a priority. I think they will extend the search area too.

If you take a hypothetical flight. Drop off and check in are fine, as is the front of the terminal (waterfall canopy excepted) for all of the 20 seconds you spend walking in. Escalators to and the search area are fine as functional areas and are bright enough. The cafe areas and main departures area are fresh enough. Lounge at gt 10 is ok with the new floor. Business lounge is also recently refurbed if that is your bag. The outbound intl corridor and the intl lounge are well in need of an upgrade and the stairwells at the gates are poor. Of that journey though the amount of time spent at the old areas is minimal. I think we Northern Ireland folk tend to be a bit critical of our own and are a bit blind to the same issues that occur everywhere else too.

West Brit
13th Dec 2017, 21:04
I think the airport is generally fine compared to any other airport. My complaints would be the security nightmare and baggage reclaim. Is the international pier vacant at ground level for part of the length? If so they could move passport control towards the West end of the pier. From here a set of stairs would take you down to a long space with several baggage reclaim belts leading eventually into the current baggage area.

BFS BHD
15th Dec 2017, 13:35
Looks like it will be 2x B738 & 2x B733 for S18 now instead of 1x B738 & 3x B733!

GAZMO
15th Dec 2017, 15:22
Flights to Carlisle next year, but which airline? or which Belfast airport?

Carlisle to London for under £100, reveals city airport | News & Star (http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/Carlisle-to-London-for-under-100-reveals-city-airport-6c0f40fa-b7b8-4508-93d2-90784d985b6c-ds)

BFS BHD
15th Dec 2017, 15:39
I say it will be from BHD with Stobart Air.

Cozy F
15th Dec 2017, 18:11
I’d say that’s a safe wager.

Husky One
16th Dec 2017, 10:31
Within the bucket of hair-brained ideas, BHD-Carlisle must surely reside near the bottom..especially on a 50 seater.

Blackfriar
16th Dec 2017, 11:00
I don't go to an airport for shopping. Bristol is horrendous - shops prioritised over security until a recent upgrade. You go through security and end up in a mass of shops and have to fight your way to the gate. No wonder they ask you to turn up two hours before for an 0700 departure.
Having worked at BFS for Servisair in the 1980s before the volumes increased and now travelling for business and VFR, I like BFS and BHD. Its pretty easy (at least at the times I fly) to get from the taxi to the departure gate. I haven't used the international pier at BFS so can't comment on that, but the main terminal just needs freshening up, not a massive building programme funded by a shopping centre.
We have lost the plot in this country - airports should be paid for by landing and handling fees and shops should be ancillary for those that want to use them, not part of an IKEA style maze to stop you getting onto the plane.

AerRyan
16th Dec 2017, 11:10
The alternative is for fees to be risen, which would ultimately just increase fares and reduce connectivity.

SWBKCB
16th Dec 2017, 11:16
Spot on - people don't want to pay for flights, so airports have to make money some how.

Una Due Tfc
16th Dec 2017, 15:04
I airports should be paid for by landing and handling fees and shops should be ancillary for those that want to use them, not part of an IKEA style maze to stop you getting onto the plane.

An express ticket to bankruptcy for most airports bar the likes of Heathrow. Ryanair would b****r off immediately for a start.

owenc
16th Dec 2017, 15:10
It is typical to have a walkway of shops in British airports, it seems.

BFS BHD
16th Dec 2017, 15:15
I was looking at the times for the two based Ryanair aircraft for BFS.
And seen there are some gaps in the schedules for both Aircraft.

- Aircraft One that does the Stansted flights has a gap from about 14:15 to about 20:00 everyday.

- Aircraft Two that does the European flights has gaps everyday expect Monday & Friday. Gap is from about 12:00 to about 16:30. And on Tuesday morning there is nothing until the afternoon at about 16:40.

Does anyone think they will add any other UK route to full some of the gaps. Surely EMA or LBA could work by using one of the gaps and then use a non based aircraft in the morning and evening?

NWSRG
16th Dec 2017, 15:26
Blackfriar,

I have a lot of sympathy with your views. Stansted is the worst I’ve seen recently but Gatwick South isn’t far behind now.
Heathrow T5 is how it should be done. Plenty of shopping for those who want it, but a free flow from security straight into the departure lounge area for those who don’t...that’s what BFS should aspire too, albeit on smaller scale. This forcing of passengers down a yellow brick road of high end tat is an insult!

SecondDog
16th Dec 2017, 18:46
An insult? Catch a grip. You are a self steering human being who can walk by all the shops if you want to. As has been mentioned above, the airport must do this to supplement the fact that you don't want to pay to fly anywhere either.

BFS should aspire to T5? Holy delusions Batman

NWSRG
16th Dec 2017, 20:01
Calm yourself man...and read again, slowly.

On the reference to T5, did you not see the "albeit on a smaller scale" bit? I doubt BFS will ever resemble T5, but I think anyone reading my post with a titter of wit would understand that I was talking about the design philosophy...

And as for the rest of your rant, yes, we're all self steering. But the modern approach to airport shopping treats us like a flock of sheep that need to be herded along a shop-lined avenue, that wends its way in the least direct route possible from security to lounge. By way of illustration, T5 is the exception which lets you go straight to the lounge.

edi_local
16th Dec 2017, 20:50
I must admit, it is not simply a case of walk through the shop and get on with it. The hoards of people being fooled into thinking they are getting bargains, spraying their perfumes everywhere and leaving their oversized bags in the way while they go off to by a 4 meter long Toblerone all certainly add time to my journey.

I do like LHR T2 and T5 for those reasons. Plenty of other airports manage it. HKG, ICN, NRT, DOH, DUB, CDG, ORD...just some of the major airports I've used recently and not one has had this set up. Seems to be a greedy UK thing. I haven't used a Belfast airport for a few years, but what a shame if BFS has gone down this forced shopping mall mess. I hated when EDI became one of the sheep and followed this awful trend. EDI is particularly bad as you need to actually double back on yourself to get through the shop and at peak times the line for the tills can block the exit!

Refuellerman
17th Dec 2017, 08:14
Belfast will always be not as nice as other uk airports, A, because its privately run and B, because our country has no government!

owenc
17th Dec 2017, 13:55
I was on a flight to LDY the other day and I had heard a woman from Tyrone talking about going to Dublin and Knock airport to fly to London? Never mentioned going to Belfast.

So, that's an example of how people avoid the airport. Stupidly, because I can't see why you'd drive from Tyrone to Dublin for a short flight to London.

We would probably have at least a million extra passengers per annum if people who went to Dublin for short haul flights actually used their local airport.

mart901
17th Dec 2017, 15:34
A short look around BHD or BFS car park, in particular BFS in summer will tell you just how many people are driving from Ireland to use what are often now cheaper flights. It's horses for courses, there's people I talk to think DUB is the only airport to get to all sorts of places, there's people who don't believe me when I say Norwegian fly transatlantic from BFS, and recently in a meeting with a company manager from Dublin I was informed many Dubliners use BFS if it's cheap enough - and that I think is the key. How many weird and wonderful off the beaten track airports have FR turned into household names, some with literally military style facilities.

BFS BHD
19th Dec 2017, 01:49
EasyJet routes to Geneva, Lanzarote, Lyon & Keflavik are being extended from March to April next year.

owenc
19th Dec 2017, 03:47
Wasn't KEF cancelled?

GAZMO
19th Dec 2017, 05:19
Good news from easyJet, anyword on the rumoured Venice route yet.

mart901
19th Dec 2017, 06:57
Wasn't KEF cancelled?

It became winter seasonal.

GAZMO
19th Dec 2017, 16:08
Jet 2 have put Christmas’s market flights on sale for next year, VIE and PRG, both one flight each

mart901
20th Dec 2017, 05:46
https://nitravelnews.com/news/super-break-launches-new-packages-direct-from-northern-ireland/

GAZMO
22nd Dec 2017, 12:11
Two flights cancelled to and from BRS today....probably lots of frustrated pax

Flight incident at BRS!

fjencl
23rd Dec 2017, 10:31
Does anybody know if ASL Ireland will be operating charter flights on behalf of any tour operators this summer 2018 aboard their B737-300 aircraft.

Husky One
23rd Dec 2017, 11:13
There was a rumour a while ago about them doing EI's bucket and spade work from BHD next summer. Heard nothing more since though.

fjencl
23rd Dec 2017, 11:15
Thanks for that
wait and see then i guess.

Refuellerman
23rd Dec 2017, 14:03
Think they done a couple of lords pilgrims runs this year and a rugby run

BFS BHD
23rd Dec 2017, 15:34
I think they are also doing the TUI Charter Flights to Palma from City of Derry Airport.

cuthere
23rd Dec 2017, 18:35
Who doesn’t like a bit of cricket?

Copenhagen
23rd Dec 2017, 20:01
Think they done a couple of lords pilgrims runs this year and a rugby run

It would take a miracle for the English cricket team to win anything alright.

BFS BHD
23rd Dec 2017, 20:16
When easyJet announced the new route did they not say the Bordeaux and Paris where getting a extra weekly flight? I have been looking on their website and there has beem nothing extra loaded...

True Blue
23rd Dec 2017, 20:30
I had been wondering something similar. Three new routes, twice a week, for an extra aircraft. What is it doing the rest of the time as I have not seen any real increases on other routes. I must be missing something.

SecondDog
23rd Dec 2017, 20:40
Announcement part 2 in January I believe.

True Blue
23rd Dec 2017, 20:56
Just booking our summer holidays in Turkey at the moment. Now we miss the Fr flights to Lgw due to the poor timings by Ezy. On a Saturday, first arrival into Lgw at 13.50. This is their biggest base, they offer this connection service and useless times. Friday not much better, first arrival into Lgw 07.40, next arrival 17.50. Dates 31st Aug and 1st Sept.

mart901
23rd Dec 2017, 21:05
Talking of summer flights my PFO flight with LS has been made 1hr later in each direction, anyone know why?

GAZMO
23rd Dec 2017, 22:40
True blue
There has been an increase in domestic flights for summer 18, GLA,BHX, EDI etc
As reported in Irish News probably Venice as well. Still think Pula or Zadar likely as well

Refuellerman
24th Dec 2017, 02:59
Thats the way ezy have always operated, its not their fault that fr pulled the route, MOL's fault

irishlad06
24th Dec 2017, 03:25
Slots have now all been confirmed so this will be why. Initially they apply for slots at certain times and then get given another time.

mart901
24th Dec 2017, 08:39
Just booking our summer holidays in Turkey at the moment. Now we miss the Fr flights to Lgw due to the poor timings by Ezy. On a Saturday, first arrival into Lgw at 13.50. This is their biggest base, they offer this connection service and useless times. Friday not much better, first arrival into Lgw 07.40, next arrival 17.50. Dates 31st Aug and 1st Sept.

Is your Turkey flight booked?

True Blue
24th Dec 2017, 08:59
Some of them. More to book. We usually go 4 trips a year.

mart901
24th Dec 2017, 12:43
Turkey is brilliant. Can you not use one of the flights from BFS?

True Blue
24th Dec 2017, 15:04
Bodrum is best followed by Izmir for us. Dalaman is over 4 hours by road, Antalya is the otherside of the country. Our best bet was via Gatwick, now that is more difficult due poor Ezy times. Also a lot cheaper from mainland than here and it isn't all down to the extra distance. Lack of competition a big factor.

mart901
24th Dec 2017, 16:22
Fair enough. TCX do connections using BE if you book through Thomas Cook Airlines website, BHX, MAN or maybe one of the Scottish airports might work and no worries about baggage etc

GAZMO
27th Dec 2017, 13:48
Just noticed weekly Tui flights to VRN from 26th May?

Is this new or am I just playing catchup?

True Blue
27th Dec 2017, 14:22
Current entry on website - arrivals

EDINBURGH EZY484 14:15 ON TIME 15:11

Since when was a flight running 56 minutes late "on time". Airports, airlines etc refer you to their site for information and this is what you get. Is the person you did this stupid, lazy, no interest, all of these? We are almost into 2018 and yet this type of lazy information is still common. And then airports/airlines wonder why pax at times go mad. To me, it says we couldn't care less.

Fly757X
27th Dec 2017, 14:35

Is this new or am I just playing catchup?

First I've heard of it! Should compliment Jet2's Winter seasonal to Verona too :ok:

GAZMO
27th Dec 2017, 14:37
From todays Daily Star, Norwegian offering £99 flights to New York again

"Fares are available from £99 one-way from Belfast"

BFS101
27th Dec 2017, 15:57
It appears to be the Meridiana Airlines flight, previously on sale for a Wednesday departure. This flight was shared with Thomson / Topflight, as per last year.
Whether it has just been moved to a Saturday, or to allow Tui to take full allocation, I'm not sure.

SecondDog
27th Dec 2017, 22:30

Since when was a flight running 56 minutes late "on time". Airports, airlines etc refer you to their site for information and this is what you get. Is the person you did this stupid, lazy, no interest, all of these? We are almost into 2018 and yet this type of lazy information is still common. And then airports/airlines wonder why pax at times go mad. To me, it says we couldn't care less.

I presume you know where the updates come from?

El Bunto
28th Dec 2017, 08:33
Bear in mind also that the airport status pages are sneaky in that they list touchdown time for 'arrival' rather than brakes-on or doors-open time.

A320 G-EZPY EZY37QH / EZY484 touched-down at 15:11:54 per ADS-B.

Oddly enough passengers weren't able to disembark at that time. Listing 15:11 is therefore in contravention of ECJ ruling of September 2014: The Court’s conclusion is that Articles 2, 5 and 7 of Regulation No 261/2004 must be interpreted as meaning that the concept of ‘arrival time’, which is used to determine the length of the delay to which passengers on a flight have been subject, refers to the time at which at least one of the doors of the aircraft is opened, the assumption being that, at that moment, the passengers are permitted to leave the aircraft. ?Arrival time? in the context of Reg 261 claims | Kennedys (http://www.kennedyslaw.com/casereview/arrivaltimeaviation/)

SWBKCB
28th Dec 2017, 09:04
Listing 15:11 is therefore in contravention of ECJ ruling of September 2014:

No it's not - you're comparing apples and oranges. Where does the judgement relate to what must be displayed on arrival and departure boards?

KNT544
28th Dec 2017, 09:14
Plus in the case in question even if you add on the average taxi time of 5 minutes there is no claim under EU261

Refuellerman
29th Dec 2017, 20:27
Anyone know why faro 2018 still not bookable on fr website?

Cozy F
30th Dec 2017, 04:51
Perhaps they aren’t going to fly it? Would be odd given Aer Lingus cutting way back on Belfast Med flights and reducing product to ASL aircraft from S18.

mart901
30th Dec 2017, 06:58
Has this EI using ASL ever actually been confirmed?

Alteagod
30th Dec 2017, 20:29
Its not confirmed but I understand that it is also not being denied by the airport that EI not confirmed as operator of all the sun routes

tigger2k8
31st Dec 2017, 13:42

As far as im aware.. unless the "new" website is different from the old one.. but the FMS system was the source for the arrivals and departures page, it pulled the info directly from it and published it.. the handling agent (Swissport) enters the estimated arrival time from the signal they receive on take off.. they then enter the time and select "Expected at".. there is/was? quite a few different options such as "Delayed to", "Diverted to", "Cancelled" etc etc... there is also an "On Time".. so it's either human error or a glitch in the system.. believe it or not, people make mistakes in life...

If it's a common issue then then airport should be addressing it with Swissport and / or the Airport IT department..

cuthere
31st Dec 2017, 14:59
I find at most airports, when flying low cost airlines, that the best source of info is FlightRadar. When you see people rushing to the gate at BFS to “board” a plane that hasn’t even landed yet, I can’t help but feel the airport is losing out. Those passengers would surely be better being kept in the main part of the terminal, where they and their money are more likely to be serparated, rather than sitting at a dead gate.

BFS BHD
2nd Jan 2018, 20:48
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/january/2018-another-record-awaits

GAZMO
5th Jan 2018, 20:08
From BT 5.84 million passengers this year

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/belfast-international-airport-sets-sight-on-6-million-passengers-for-2018-36461599.html

BFS BHD
5th Jan 2018, 20:31
Is the other easyJet announcement due soon? Is it just the one route to Venice that's going to be announced?

A320.b744
5th Jan 2018, 20:55
My easyJet source tells me that they are considering launching 3-5 new routes from BFS between Summer '18 and Summer '19. All but one are to easyJet bases, so an additional based aircraft is unlikely. Two routes being considered are already operated by Ryanair, and a further two have never been operated from BFS before. He is pretty sure that two routes will be announced within the next few weeks, with the rest in November.

BFS BHD
6th Jan 2018, 00:56
Oh thats great news! Thanks A320.b744.

EGAC is Better
6th Jan 2018, 09:24
So unless I am being silly, “Two routes being considered are already operated by Ryanair” should be self explanitory when comparing RYR network from BFS with EZY’s list of bases.

Popcorn at the ready! If this happens the EZY are signaling their intentions to try push RYR back out of BFS.

mart901
6th Jan 2018, 11:10
And then watch FR have a falling out with BFS over landing fees or Brexit woes or something, anything to blame another party, other than the competition.

owenc
6th Jan 2018, 12:02
Which is not what we want. What we want, is Easyjet starting routes that no airlines operate.

EGAC is Better
6th Jan 2018, 12:29
and a further two have never been operated from BFS before.

I’m happy to be an opportunist and try to make use of low fares while these two scrap it out.

A320.b744
6th Jan 2018, 12:58
The only potential downside is that both airlines lower prices, both lose money, and both scrap the routes, leaving us with nothing. However, the fact that easyJet and Ryanair won't be in direct competition with each other may allow both to succeed.

Husky One
6th Jan 2018, 20:33
Easyjet have already announced 3 new routes.
Ryanair chose to take Easyjet on in BFS and got a bloody nose on the LGW route. The public got a few cheap fares while they battled it out but ultimately the market was corrected. Now Ryanair are pulling the same stunt on the STN route. Why shouldn’t Easyjet let them taste their own medicine on Euro routes? Reap what you sow.

West Brit
6th Jan 2018, 20:55
Hopefully with the 6th aircraft, this will allow several more Geneva rotations next winter. It is difficult to do a long weekend currently. Edinburgh is currently several times daily all year round. BFS could surely run twice weekly during the summer as well!

inOban
6th Jan 2018, 21:41
Don't exaggerate. EDI has three Geneva rotations on ski Saturdays. In summer it's usually daily with perhaps a couple of extras. In November it's four per week.

West Brit
6th Jan 2018, 21:55
I didn't check every week throughout the year. However random weeks in January and July they are a minimum of daily.

BFS Dude
12th Jan 2018, 16:53
Any development plans for the airport this year? I know there is a Premier Inn to be built.
New £5m hotel to take-off at Belfast International Airport - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2017/09/27/news/new-5m-hotel-to-take-off-at-belfast-international-airport-1146144/)
Any new stands or air bridges? Or terminal works?

A320.b744
12th Jan 2018, 17:45
November 2017 saw 402,982 passengers using BFS. That is a 2.1% decrease on last year. The rolling passenger figure is 5,865,297, suggesting that December also saw a decrease in passenger numbers, given that 5.84 million used the facility in 2017. These decreases are almost entirely due to Ryanair cancelling their x5 daily BFS-LGW service.

Domestic figures are largely positive, with several routes reporting double digit growth.

BRS (+7%), EDI (+8%), GLA (+17%), LTN (+25%), STN (+16%)

LGW figures fell by 33,248 (38%) to 53,410 following Ryanair's decision to axe their service. However, compared with November 2015 figures of 39,070, passenger numbers have actually increased by 37% over the last two years.

International figures are very good, with double digit increases across all Iberian and Eastern European routes.

FAO (+30%), ALC (+15%), AGP (+17%), ACE (+12%), FUE (+70%, LPA (+17%), TFS (+14%)

VNO (+14%), GDN (+13%), KRK (+13%), WMI (+19%), WRO (+13%)

BGY (+16%)

SXF is the only major disappointment (-34%), despite only a 31% decrease in seats following a shift from x3 weekly to x2 weekly.

Routes operated for the first time in November 2017 had the following load factors;

MLA (70%), SWF (54%)

Other interesting points to note include;

Despite only having figures for January-November, 3 domestic and 29 international routes have already exceeded their 2016 figures (16 of these routes are operated year round).

For the first time ever, two international routes have exceeded 200,000 passengers - ALC and AGP - and this is the first time since 2007 that any international route has managed to reach 200,000.

CabinCrewe
12th Jan 2018, 19:49
SWF (54%)
oooft!
Cue theories of excellent yields and cargo

Una Due Tfc
12th Jan 2018, 20:58
No cargo worth mentioning in a 737’s hold, especially on a route at the very limit of the aircraft’s range.

BFS BHD
12th Jan 2018, 21:15
Any development plans for the airport this year? I know there is a Premier Inn to be built.
New £5m hotel to take-off at Belfast International Airport - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2017/09/27/news/new-5m-hotel-to-take-off-at-belfast-international-airport-1146144/)
Any new stands or air bridges? Or terminal works?

I think there may be new stands but don't know when it will happen.

OltonPete
12th Jan 2018, 22:17
Just to add BHX was not one of the routes showing an increase in November but it was not all doom and gloom as there were six fewer rotations which resulted in 141 pax per flight at 88% compared to November 16 of 138 pax per flight.

The downside I would say (most the important aspect) is that it appears at times fares have gone down a little. Obviously to monitor this accurately you need to be viewing regularly which is difficult to say the least and it is only my opinion but I do sample check a few times a week at least.

Refuellerman
13th Jan 2018, 07:55
No cargo worth mentioning in a 737’s hold, especially on a route at the very limit of the aircraft’s range.

Ha no cargo at all, the pax have to leave their shoes behind its that tight!

vrb03kt
13th Jan 2018, 08:03
On the max or just the NG?

owenc
13th Jan 2018, 09:43

737MAX can travel further than New York.

PinOnTheRight
13th Jan 2018, 10:12
In theory, yes. In reality, with passengers and a winter westerly jet stream, no.

AIRPORT66
13th Jan 2018, 11:56
Does anyone know when the second part of the Easyjet announcement is happening.

Refuellerman
13th Jan 2018, 15:23
If the a b757 used to be on the limit out of bfs then the max hasnt really had the test yet

MaverickPrime
17th Jan 2018, 14:05
Does anyone know if BFS management are still trying to attract a middle eastern carrier? It would make my day if they secured a route to the ME, preferably with EK!

A320.b744
17th Jan 2018, 14:24
Yes they are, and the most recent responses from the airlines in the media are;

Emirates:"Belfast is not currently on our radar" - May 2017
Etihad Airways: .....
Qatar Airways: "considering daily flights to Belfast" - June 2016

I doubt that BFS will secure a Middle Eastern route until the airport has cemented itself in the > 6 million passengers category (ie post 2020), but given most recent route announcements, I'd say B788 QR will be the airport's best bet.

Plane.Silly
17th Jan 2018, 15:17
Shame the EK order for B787-10's can't come sooner. with a 300 seat capacity, i'm sure that'd be the perfect size for them

MaverickPrime
17th Jan 2018, 16:18
Cheers folks. One can always dream, but I think an EK 77W is just too much for Belfast right now, even the 7810 is probably too big.

I would have guessed that QR’s 788 would fit the bill better, or even EY’s A332. However, considering EY’s woes at the minute and their smaller size I would have thought QR would be the only realistic contender. Hope to see something to the ME in the coming years!

BFS BHD
17th Jan 2018, 18:20
Jet2 has put the one off New York flight on sale. Departing 15th Nov and arriving back 20th Nov. On the B757 again.

DC9_10
18th Jan 2018, 12:06
Travelled through last week. Usually hand luggage only but had to check a bag in. Must say the entrance to the check in hall is in much need of refurbishment. Cold and unwelcoming and would not make for a good first impression. Mr Keddie should get this sorted as a priority.

GAZMO
18th Jan 2018, 15:23
Increase in flights to Bulgaria to three per week

https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/january/balkan-holidays-embarks-on-40-expansion-from-belfast-international

Looks like six extra flights

SecondDog
18th Jan 2018, 20:14
DC9_10

In all seriousness, why would this be a priority? I know it needs a renovation but as a functional area, it does what it says on the tin. Lets you into the building, which gets better from that point as far as the departures area before taking a downturn again at the departures gates. I think Mr Keddie knows fine well which areas make him some money. No coincidence his reign has seen improvements in car parking and retail provision, given those are his big revenue generators...

BFS BHD
19th Jan 2018, 15:10
Just checking flights to Vilnius for Summer 2018 and see that flights have moved from Monday & Friday evenings to Wednesday & Sunday mornings

Arrives 07:05, Departs 07:40.

Any idea what aircraft the will use for Summer 2018? A320 or A321?

A320.b744
19th Jan 2018, 16:39
I had a look at several dates, and the seat maps are all showing the A320. The A321 was used from June-September last year, but passenger numbers only exceeded A320 capacity in June (by 103 pax) and September (by 9 pax), meaning it makes sense for Wizz to revert back to the A320. The route is doing very well however, and these new flight times will hopefully be more popular with passengers.

Monthly load factors;

January (86%), Feb (89%), March (90%), April (92%), May (90%), June (81%*), July (78%*), August (78%*), September (79%*), October (91%), November (90%).

BFS BHD
19th Jan 2018, 18:15
Thanks for the information A320.b744. :)

SWBKCB
19th Jan 2018, 18:59
Load factors consistently at 90% or under seem as bit low by LOCO standards?

A320.b744
19th Jan 2018, 19:36
Wizz Air's average load factor Jan-Nov was 91.5%.

2017 was the first year that the A321 was used during the summer, giving an average load factor Jan-Nov of 84.7%. It is worth noting that the 2016 load factor was just 79.8%, when the route was solely operated by the A320.

Wizz have seen that the A321 is currently too large for BFS-VNO, as only 112 of the extra 3,500 seats available were filled.

This year, Wizz are returning to the A320 throughout the year, and if passenger numbers were to be the same as in 2017, the route would have an above average load factor of 92.7%.

MaverickPrime
20th Jan 2018, 10:25
DC9_10

In all seriousness, why would this be a priority? I know it needs a renovation but as a functional area, it does what it says on the tin. Lets you into the building, which gets better from that point as far as the departures area before taking a downturn again at the departures gates. I think Mr Keddie knows fine well which areas make him some money. No coincidence his reign has seen improvements in car parking and retail provision, given those are his big revenue generators...

Half of Europe has lovely new modern terminals; something that attracts additional growth to those airports. Whereas the Belfast terminal is from goodness knows when. I’ve traversed the same pier 100s of times to my departure gate since I’ve was 4 years old. I don’t even, know if the carpet has changed!

Obviously money doesn’t grow on trees, but they need to seriously consider a new terminal, with efforts that go far beyond drawing plans.

SecondDog
20th Jan 2018, 10:46
New terminal is a fine dream but an expensive one. Half those swanky new ones are likely state or part state funded. I would also wager very few have the challenging circumstances we have in terms of a relatively small finite marketplace split between 3 competing services, operating without a governmental aviation strategy in place to maximise potential in competition with a much bigger operation within easy reach in a different country.

Yes, same old chatter but c'est la vie

SecondDog
20th Jan 2018, 10:47
I will give you the carpet in 22 though... drives me nuts 😉

DC9_10
20th Jan 2018, 23:28
I always support Belfast International and I don't fly to City airport. That's ny choice. However, the entrance to the terminal is a frst impression for many and it Is dire. Two glass filled with wood, leaking roof and cold dark and damp. It's a bleak first impression of an otherwise nice airport. Heading to 6 million pax, must do better.

BFS Dude
21st Jan 2018, 20:36
Next easyjet announcement tomorrow or Tuesday?

BFS BHD
22nd Jan 2018, 18:46
Seems EasyJet has put extra Gatwick flights on sale for July?

NWSRG
22nd Jan 2018, 21:47
I reckon terminal development will only come once we have more legacy carriers at BFS, something that seems stubbornly difficult to achieve. Legacy carriers will pay the higher landing fees that justify the lounge facilities and airbridges they want for their customers. If we had Air France or Lufthansa offering short-haul, and perhaps a US carrier (again), added to the VS service to MCO, maybe we'd be on the way. The long-haul pier is crying out for rebuilding...the rest of the airport is a bit messy, but generally in decent order. If we had those airlines, then a long-haul rebuild could be part of a bigger phased effort.
However, while EZY and FR dominate traffic, it's hard to see much in the way of development coming (sadly).

A320.b744
22nd Jan 2018, 23:14
I reckon terminal development will only come once we have more legacy carriers at BFS, something that seems stubbornly difficult to achieve. Legacy carriers will pay the higher landing fees that justify the lounge facilities and airbridges they want for their customers. If we had Air France or Lufthansa offering short-haul, and perhaps a US carrier (again), added to the VS service to MCO, maybe we'd be on the way. The long-haul pier is crying out for rebuilding...the rest of the airport is a bit messy, but generally in decent order. If we had those airlines, then a long-haul rebuild could be part of a bigger phased effort.
However, while EZY and FR dominate traffic, it's hard to see much in the way of development coming (sadly).

I would say it's more likely to be the other way around. When full-service carriers are choosing between BFS & BHD, they see that BHD has a) better transport links, b) a better (though a little small) terminal, c) better business facilities. The only things BFS currently has going for it is its runway length, and the ability to expand the terminal in the long term. BFS management need to take the initiative and improve the terminal immediately in order to attract full-service airlines. Given these airlines have a choice of two airports when coming to Belfast, they're not going to choose BFS in the hope that the terminal will be improved in the long run, they'll choose BHD because it is currently fit for use, just like British Airways, KLM, Brussels Airlines and Icelandair have already done.

It's a rather sad fact that out of the island's five main airports (DUB, BFS, BHD, ORK, SNN), four of them are connected to the Oneworld and SkyTeam networks, and three are connected to the Star Alliance network, yet BFS doesn't have any alliance connections. It is extremely disappointing that the airport cannot attract any full-service carriers, except for Virgin Atlantic on a seasonal point-to-point basis.

BFS BHD
23rd Jan 2018, 15:53
I see on the Ryanair thread there is a new route from Belfast International to Manchester starting March 25th, one daily flight.

owenc
23rd Jan 2018, 18:36
BHD is not convenient for a lot of people though.

AerRyan
23rd Jan 2018, 18:37
You mean it's not convenient for you?

owenc
23rd Jan 2018, 18:40
Well, if you look at the stats it's obvious that BFS is convenient for quite a bit more people, having 2.3x the passengers flowing through it.

DC9_10
23rd Jan 2018, 18:40
Owen, FR don't fly from BHD.

owenc
23rd Jan 2018, 18:41
Owen, FR don't fly from BHD.

What's that supposed to imply?

DC9_10
23rd Jan 2018, 18:44
What it says on the tin lad.

owenc
23rd Jan 2018, 18:46
You need to provide more ambiguity instead of writing a statement and not explaining what you mean.

I have taken your statement to imply that I cannot afford to fly an airline other than Ryanair.

DC9_10
23rd Jan 2018, 18:55
Owen. Read slow so you understand. A post was placed to inform that Ryanair are to commence a daily flight from Belfast International to Manchester. You responded "BHD, is not convenient for many though". I pointed out to you that Ryanair do not fly from BHD. Do you get it now.

EGAC is Better
23rd Jan 2018, 19:42
Well, if you look at the stats it's obvious that BFS is convenient for quite a bit more people, having 2.3x the passengers flowing through it.

Enforced airport capacity might have something to do with that. I’d choose BHD over BFS every time if I could fly to where I wanted to go with who I want to fly with, but I can’t. I wonder what percentage of your ‘2.3x’ would say the same? I’d bet quite a large percentage.

Have you ever tried getting to Aldergrove from Belfast for a 6-6.30 pm departure during the week, when it’s been raining and Belfast is gridlocked?

DC9_10
23rd Jan 2018, 19:52
Poor show EGAC. Rain does not cause gridlock. Most people choose to fly from BFS which is a fact. Try getting to BHD from north or west Belfast in the the rush hours and BFS is easier. Nearly six million passengers agree. BTW, the capacity restriction was lifted more than two years ago at BHD. To bad no uptake.

Cozy F
23rd Jan 2018, 20:34
Interesting development if true Ryanair BFS-MAN. What might look like shifting deckchairs with moving LGW flights to Stansted and starting low frequency Manchester could quickly evolve into a strategy for Ryanair growing at BFS. STN as a London gateway makes infinitely more sense for FR than LGW, just look at their comparative networks from each. After Stansted, Manchester is their largest GB operation, and logically either Birmingham or East Midlands (same owners as STN, MAN ..?) follows on from that. Beyond those main U.K. points, the whole of Europe is their playground. Just needs common sense to prevail on Govt air tax in N Ireland and everything opens up.

BFS watcher
23rd Jan 2018, 20:40
Flybe must be very worried by this development and if EMA and BHX are next then it will be a real dogfight between Easy, FR and Flybe with only one loser!

owenc
23rd Jan 2018, 20:43
It would be great if they'd remove the APD through GB too, so we could avoid the long drive and overnight stay in Dublin when traveling Long Haul.

The96er
23rd Jan 2018, 21:03
Flybe must be very worried by this development and if EMA and BHX are next then it will be a real dogfight between Easy, FR and Flybe with only one loser!

Slightly different market. If Flybe from BHD can hold out against EZY from BFS, I don't see what RYR will do to upset them too much. The losers I expect will be both EZY and RYR who will see what little yield they have eroded further. (Who blinks first !)

Cozy F
23rd Jan 2018, 21:13
Flybe have a niche at BHD but more affordable fares on routes like Manchester and Birmingham would certainly have a general impact. But these are two of the very biggest routes out of DUB and comparatively BFS could offer more seats on them than currently exists.

OneBellEnd
23rd Jan 2018, 21:37
Think both EZY and FR can hold a stare longer than flybe.

BHD2BFS
23rd Jan 2018, 21:43
I thought FR would have tested LBA or EMA as it’s only Flybe who cover this market and cearly a big demand with 4-5 flights a day

mart901
23rd Jan 2018, 22:29

They have 7 flights a day.....

Albert Hall
23rd Jan 2018, 22:43
Yes, so that's seven Q400s a day across which to watch the average yield get utterly trashed by Ryanair offering one a day on BFS-MAN which resets the whole market pricing down to a new level. Probably a worse result for them than the 737-800 appearing on EMA or LBA where it can at least generate some new volume. With EZY already on MAN-BFS, the market is unlikely to grow but the yield is highly likely to decline - so very damaging indeed.

Jamie2k9
23rd Jan 2018, 23:06
Don't see Flybe been impacted much. FR will grow the route and U2 will either contract a little or prehaps lose sum LPL traffic.

A320.b744
23rd Jan 2018, 23:17
Poor show EGAC. Rain does not cause gridlock. Most people choose to fly from BFS which is a fact. Try getting to BHD from north or west Belfast in the the rush hours and BFS is easier. Nearly six million passengers agree.

Yes, more people fly from BFS, but that doesn't mean that they prefer BFS over BHD. The vast majority of people do not care about which airport they fly from, or even which airline they fly with. The reason why more people use BFS is because more destinations are served and more seats are for sale from the airport. If someone wants to fly from Belfast to Bristol, they don't have a choice other than to fly from BFS, because only BFS has a Bristol service. When Aer Lingus moved their LHR service from BFS to BHD, there was no collapse in passenger numbers travelling to Heathrow, just because people could no longer fly from BFS. Aer Lingus passengers simply booked their flights as usual, but instead of going to BFS, they drove to BHD.

BTW, the capacity restriction was lifted more than two years ago at BHD. To bad no uptake.

Too bad you're wrong. A public inquiry was launched in 2015, and in January 2017 it was announced that the capacity restriction would be lifted, however the restriction is still in force. The BHD website states' "Seats for sale: airlines may offer no more than 2,000,000 seats for sale on flights from the Airport in any 12 month period."

Yes, so that's seven Q400s a day across which to watch the average yield get utterly trashed by Ryanair offering one a day on BFS-MAN which resets the whole market pricing down to a new level. Probably a worse result for them than the 737-800 appearing on EMA or LBA where it can at least generate some new volume. With EZY already on MAN-BFS, the market is unlikely to grow but the yield is highly likely to decline - so very damaging indeed.

Ryanair commencing BFS-MAN will have almost no effect on Flybe or easyJet operations.

Both Flybe and easyJet's schedules cater primarily for the business market;

easyJet operate x2 daily, with 1 morning and 1 evening flight.
Flybe operate x7 daily, with 3 morning, 1 afternoon and 3 evening flights

Based on Ryanair's current BFS-based aircraft schedules, BFS-MAN will be a mid-afternoon service, thus catering primarily for the leisure market. Out of the 9 daily flights between Belfast and Manchester, only 1 Q400 service is operated during this time.

In addition, x1 daily is not a price-setting frequency. Even if all seats were sold at just £9.99, neither Flybe nor easyJet would see any drop in yield. Furthermore, x1 daily is inconvenient for business travellers, as the schedule does not allow same-day returns.

However, if Ryanair were to increase the frequency to x3 daily, then easyJet would be in trouble. Flybe on the other hand would fare batter, given their high frequency service, and their choice of airport. Flybe's yield and passenger numbers remained fairly stable when easyJet commenced BFS-MAN back in 2011, so further diluting BFS-MAN will have little effect on their BHD operations.

EGAC is Better
23rd Jan 2018, 23:22
Poor show EGAC. Rain does not cause gridlock. Most people choose to fly from BFS which is a fact. Try getting to BHD from north or west Belfast in the the rush hours and BFS is easier. Nearly six million passengers agree. BTW, the capacity restriction was lifted more than two years ago at BHD. To bad no uptake.

Stipulations in the Planning Agreement

• Operating hours: flights may only be scheduled to operate between 06:30 hours and 21:30 hours. Extensions may be granted in exceptional circumstances to facilitate delayed aircraft up to 23:59 hours.

• Movements cap: GBBCA may only operate 48,000 aircraft movements in any 12 month period.

Seats for sale: airlines may offer no more than 2,000,000 seats for sale on flights from the Airport in any 12 month period.

Direct from City Airports Noise Complaints Page on their website. Are they providing incorrect information? All of the above impact on the passenger number figures because they reduce the appeal of operating there. Only a straight shootout on a level playing field would show a true reflection of demand per location, until then it is all conjecture.

Yes, I have tried getting to BHD from North Belfast in rush hour. My experiences have been much worse getting from East and South Belfast to Aldergrove in comparison.

Rain or any kind of adverse weather doesn’t cause gridlock in Belfast? I think it’s pretty clear to anyone who commutes to Belfast that it does and that causes problems getting to airports because they have shocking public transport links.

Nearly six million passengers don’t agree that BFS is easier to get to. Nearly 6 million passengers agree they can get to fly for cheaper, to more places, more often from Aldergrove so thats where they fly from.

Husky One
24th Jan 2018, 01:47
I’m not seeing how Easyjet would be ‘in trouble’ if Ryanair did MAN 3 times a day. That’s not how LGW played out is it? Easyjet naturally have more interest in LGW than they do in MAN but I can’t see them rolling over either. Once per day, off peak sounds more like an aircraft utilisation project than a serious attempt to muscle in. It will dilute the yield though

El Bunto
24th Jan 2018, 07:31
What a disappointingly unimaginative addition by Ryanair. Even a service to Shannon or Cork would have been more useful and in keeping with their 'make a market' tradition.

AerRyan
24th Jan 2018, 07:36
A service to Shannon or Cork? On a 737?

Lol

OneBellEnd
24th Jan 2018, 07:54
Don't think MAN for FR from Belfast is illogical at all. They'll want into the largest markets (London, North West, midlands) where lower fares can stimulate more traffic, which already exists but is driving to DUB for savings.

As for trying LBA instead of MAN, more seats to MAN on Airbus / Boeing at keener fares will disperse a good part of a large Leeds market away from flybe's Leeds flights over to Manchester. Yes, there are passengers who absolutely only fly to the east of the Pennines for sound reasons, but there are others who could as easily use Manchester v Leeds, and more, affordable choice to Manchester into an airport which has a more predictable weather history than LBA, not flying on a flybe prop will certainly appeal to those flexible passengers.

As for the argument about seat restrictions at BHD, they never took any heed of that constraint in the past when Ryanair were operating there, so don't see it qualifying as a reason why they are not growing now.

chaps1954
24th Jan 2018, 07:59
Is it though Dipping their toe might be more appropriate

DC9_10
24th Jan 2018, 08:11
Dident realise Poots decision had been overturned by the courts. As for Heathrow maintaining its numbers from BHD, BA currently down to four flights daily making a total of seven. EZY also operate three MAN flights Mon and Fri.

Husky One
24th Jan 2018, 09:43
SNN used to be covered by an A330. The loads weren’t bad either.
It’s likely that Ryanair are prodding for weak points in the Easyjet network. I don’t personally believe that MAN can sustain 3 operators running a full schedule which would make toe dipping pretty pointless.

owenc
24th Jan 2018, 09:59
RND22, what are you trying to imply? DUB and SNN are different markets altogether. DUB well because its the largest city on the island, lots of US MNCs also have their EU HQ there. SNN is situated in the Atlantic Economic Corridor, home to the largest cluster of investment outside of Dublin and also benefits from the Wild Atlantic Way ect... how does BFS compare to those?
I don't think it's even that. I just think Americans are more interested in visiting ROI than up here.

Also, Norweigan probably didn't work because of the service offered i.e into a small airport and no AVOD.

I would rather go to Dublin than set foot on a regionally configured plane for 7 hours.

If it had've been a full service carrier on a 737 Max, maybe it may have done better.

SecondDog
24th Jan 2018, 12:30
I don't think it's even that. I just think Americans are more interested in visiting ROI than up here.

That shows how little you understand about a lot of things though. Americans don't usually understand and/or care that there is a difference. They travel to Ireland (of which we are a part, both geographically and culturally) The next problem with that is that we are marketed as a whole Island by the annointed tourism body. You could find a lot of people who will have a long discussion about how much focus the Northern part of the island gets in terms of advertising etc. in foreign markets, at least in terms of BFS/LDY/BHD as a potential entry point. This has a knock on effect on Tourism related industry here

24th Jan 2018, 12:38
owenc does have a point though. Read any travel forum on the island of Ireland and 50% of them are interested in doing the exact same tour that starts in Dublin, goes to Kilkenny, Killarney, the Cliffs of Moher and Galway before flying out of Shannon (or the opposite way around).

What that actually shows though is that there is great potential for growth on the island as there are loads of areas that work for European tourists that the Americans scarcely see.

owenc
24th Jan 2018, 12:46
That shows how little you understand about a lot of things though. Americans don't usually understand and/or care that there is a difference. They travel to Ireland (of which we are a part, both geographically and culturally) The next problem with that is that we are marketed as a whole Island by the annointed tourism body. You could find a lot of people who will have a long discussion about how much focus the Northern part of the island gets in terms of advertising etc. in foreign markets, at least in terms of BFS/LDY/BHD as a potential entry point. This has a knock on effect on Tourism related industry here
You've just proven my point! I still reckon that we could sustain a narrowbody legacy flight to the East Coast.

If United weren't so keen on reducing their Transatlantic 757 services, we would still have one.

SecondDog
24th Jan 2018, 12:56
You just proved my point!

No, you say that Americans only interesred in ROI. I said that they don't know or care what ROI is and they are flocking there en masse because they are sold that by the body who is supposed to promote the whole island.

Skipness One Echo
24th Jan 2018, 12:57
Norwegian B737-8MAX lacks AVOD?

owenc
24th Jan 2018, 13:07
No, you say that Americans only interesred in ROI. I said that they don't know or care what ROI is and they are flocking there en masse because they are sold that by the body who is supposed to promote the whole island.
I've flown both United to BFS and DUB and the BFS flight, was majority Northern Irish and the Dublin flight, majority American customers.

Husky One
24th Jan 2018, 18:55
Seconddog is spot on. We got a bum steer up here from the Irish Tourist Board who were happy to pretend BFS never had a direct connection. I got that from some of the United staff before it was canned.

j636
24th Jan 2018, 20:35
Lol, United staff from here, probally carrying ever bigger chips around that you lot. The tone of this this forum is why more people go South of the border.

owenc
24th Jan 2018, 20:56
What did the United staff say about the service?

They've been cutting their regional services so it probably would've been gone anyway.

BHD2BFS
25th Jan 2018, 00:01
If the airport want to hit BHD with regional connectivity surely they could offer Loganair a great deal to start ABZ and INV.... possibly even DND? A daily flight to each with smaller aircraft and mostly oil rig passengers on the ABZ I don’t think they would mind which airport the fly from but would hit Flybe and open a new market for BFS
With EZY starting IOM I think eastern will suffer and pull it resulting in NCL being pulled. Jetstream aircraft aren’t cheap aircraft to fly, I see no marketing of the route and even if BHD offer them a good deal with fees the loads they are carrying will make no ods.

BFS BHD
25th Jan 2018, 13:28
The new Ryanair service from Belfast to Manchester will be on sale from tomorrow going by the MAN press release.

BFS Dude
25th Jan 2018, 13:54
Anyone know if Ryanair will be operating to Faro this year?

BFS watcher
25th Jan 2018, 18:47
This MAN announcement will certainly pile the pressure on Flybe. What next BHX or EMA?

BFS BHD
25th Jan 2018, 19:08
LBA? I'm surprised they haven't started flights to Palma or Madrid like they have from Newcastle! And a full season to Faro.

mart901
25th Jan 2018, 19:58
I don't think FR are terribly interested in domestic from BFS or anywhere UK really. As has been said I think MAN is a gap filler, they can't profitably run 4x daily to STN and the a/c would be sitting idly for an afternoon.

BFS BHD
25th Jan 2018, 20:57
There is a few gaps for the other aircraft that is based.

Wed, Thur, Sat & Sun have gaps from around 12:20 to 16:35 and a Tuesday it doesn't move to around 16:35.

Monday and Fridays have no gaps.

Would there be any route that could work in them gaps?

mart901
25th Jan 2018, 21:10
Tuesday could be a whole new route 1x weekly or additional frequency to just about anywhere. I'd have said northern France might work for 4 hrs gap or am I underestimating time wise? Otherwise a low key domestic route. Seems odd them leaving aircraft stationary but then again they've done it for whole winters at a time....

A320.b744
26th Jan 2018, 08:05
As expected, Ryanair's BFS-MAN route will be operated in the mid-afternoon by a BFS based aircraft.

BFS-MAN (FR5580): M (15:35-16:40), TWTFSS (15:25-16:30)
MAN-BFS (FR5581): M (17:05-18:10), TWTFSS (16:55-18:00)

Incidentally, the BFS press release states that this will be Ryanair's 15th route, suggesting FAO has not been axed, despite it not yet being on sale for S18.

https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/january/airport-welcomes-ryanair-s-new-manchester-service

DC9_10
26th Jan 2018, 08:55
Just bagged a bargain. Man to BFS in April for £30.99 return. Good result for the punters I'd imagine.

Plane.Silly
26th Jan 2018, 09:01
I don't think it'll be long before RYR twig there's too much capacity and ditch their fares to £9.99 one way, like they do on most of their DUB flights. Yet it's because of their size thay they can sustain it, leaving others to fight for survival

A320.b744
26th Jan 2018, 09:16
Ryanair is on average cheaper than easyJet by approx £20, albeit with a less business-friendly flight schedule.

Ryanair's flights coincide with Flybe's cheapest flight of the day, so it works out cheaper on most days with Flybe if you want to depart mid-afternoon. However, Ryanair is approx £10 cheaper return on average when compared with all 7 Flybe flights.

I shall be sticking with Flybe for my frequent trips between Manchester and Belfast. 7 flights a day and a much more comfortable terminal experience is far too appealing.

ESCNI
26th Jan 2018, 09:18
Fly out from BFS at ~3.30pm ... return from MAN at ~5pm

...almost completely useless for the footie traffic. :*

Alteagod
26th Jan 2018, 10:27
Ah sure bless at they are trying

SecondDog
26th Jan 2018, 12:53
Fly out from BFS at ~3.30pm ... return from MAN at ~5pm

...almost completely useless for the footie traffic. :*

Only until they start the other rotations? Bound to go more than once daily.....

Husky One
26th Jan 2018, 13:32
At £9.99 you are sustaining nothing. You are simply burning cash in the hope that your opponent blinks first. The ultimate prize being to knock them off the route at which point you can charge what you like. It’s unsustainable in the long term but they’re be a few thousand passengers who benefit. Unfortunately they become that familiar breed that believe they should be able to go where they want, when they want for £20 and cry about it when reality bites.

GAZMO
26th Jan 2018, 14:49
Interesting quote from todays Daily Telegraph re EZY

This year, the airline will also introduce 20 new routes, including to four new destinations (Ancona, Genoa, Nea Anchialos and Reus), from a variety of UK airports, including Southend, Gatwick and Luton and Belfast and Liverpool.

LAX_LHR
26th Jan 2018, 15:27
That’s in reference to the routes already announced by Easyjet at the back end of last year for a S18 start.

mart901
26th Jan 2018, 16:16
At £9.99 you are sustaining nothing. You are simply burning cash in the hope that your opponent blinks first. The ultimate prize being to knock them off the route at which point you can charge what you like. It’s unsustainable in the long term but they’re be a few thousand passengers who benefit. Unfortunately they become that familiar breed that believe they should be able to go where they want, when they want for £20 and cry about it when reality bites.

Looking at flights in October, one of them at a weekend and FR coming out at about £3 more expensive than. EZY. BE like double the price but they vary depending on when you want to travel and what sales they are running, there's times they are cheaper than EZY to BHX, especially peak times. I can't really see FR making a long term stab at this somehow unless they are going to play slowly slowly catch the monkey here. One flight a day is like whatever to many people, I'd say I would mix and match but the flight times are pretty useless unless you are leisure passenger and stopping overnight.

A320.b744
26th Jan 2018, 17:01
Ryanair have used BFS-MAN to use up the lost London frequency, but there are still some gaps which I'm surprised they haven't yet capitalised on.

Tuesday morning is now free following the axing of SXF from x3 weekly to x2 weekly, so I reckon it'll eventually be used on one of Ryanair's best performing x2 weekly destinations.

There is also scope for a x5 weekly (not Monday or Friday) 12:50 departure for a flight lasting up to 1hr30. The timeframe allows for a domestic flight, but also the likes of Brussels are in reach.

It'll be interesting to see if Ryanair eventually fill these gaps, as it is unlike them to underwork their aircraft.

planedrive
26th Jan 2018, 22:38
@A320.b744 They might want the gaps to be able to crew everything - assuming of course they find someone to actually fly their aircraft at all...

BFS Dude
30th Jan 2018, 20:17
Any word on the 2nd part of EasyJets announcement?

West Brit
30th Jan 2018, 20:39
Is there a 2nd announcement or is it all wishful thinking?

BFS Dude
30th Jan 2018, 20:42
Plenty of gaps left for more routes.

GAZMO
31st Jan 2018, 15:10
Apparently more EZY routes to be announced on Friday. Don't know if it is specific to BFS or in relation to other bases.

Still surprised at gaps in FR schedules and still no FAO yet!!

GAZMO
1st Feb 2018, 10:22
New ski destination for next winter

https://nitravelnews.com/news/travel-solutions-launch-new-winter-ski-destination/

Wonder if they will use FR and EZY or a charter service

GAZMO
1st Feb 2018, 11:34
Caa stats now out for December.

Small increases in domestic flights apart from LGW....naturally

A320.b744
1st Feb 2018, 18:38
Below I've calculated the total passenger numbers based on CAA Jan-Dec stats.

Domestic Routes;

Modest growth on most routes, decrease for both BHX and GLA.

1. Gatwick - 982,790 (+14.4%)
2. Liverpool - 490,613 (+5.4%)
3. Stansted - 376,429 (+3.4%)
4. Luton - 340,034 (+9.5%)
5. Edinburgh - 284,833 (+3.8%)
6. Manchester - 265,643 (+4.9%)
7. Bristol - 261,730 (+4.9%)
8. *Glasgow - 261,020 (-7.6%)
9. Newcastle - 259,776 (+3.7%)
10. *Birmingham - 224,393 (-1.4%)
11. Jersey - 20,783 (+4.3%)

International Routes;

First time in 10 years that an international route has exceeded 200,000 pax, and the first time ever that two routes have exceeded 200,000.

Sun routes, in particular Iberian routes, performed exceptionally well. Ski routes on the other hand performed very poorly.

1. Alicante - 227,397 (+48.0%)
2. Malaga - 209,583 (+60.8%)
3. Palma - 183,383 (+24.4%)
4. Faro - 164,738 (+32.4%)
5. Tenerife - 126,232 (+39.5%)
6. Lanzarote - 123,470 (+13.5%)
7. Amsterdam - 122,369 (+0.3%)
8. Krakow - 99,585 (+82.5%)
9. Paris CDG - 76,399 (+0.0%)
10. Reus - 60,489 (+15.3%)
11. Barcelona - 55,279 (+55.8%)
12. Gran Canaria - 45,879 (+148.0%)
13. Ibiza - 45,362 (+59.6%)
14. Berlin SXF - 44,683 (+193.8%)
15. Vilnius - 34,559 (+15.6%)
16. Gdansk - 34,163 (+582.7%)
17. Warsaw - 33,732 (+485.5%)
18. Wroclaw - 32,386 (+549.5%)
19. Bergamo - 31,033 (+221.8%)
20. Girona - 28,740 (NEW)
21. *Geneva - 20,063 (-13.8%)
22. *Katowice - 19,259 (-30.8%)
23. Burgas - 18,799 (+17.5%)
24. *Nice - 18,593 (-3.2%)
25. *Larnaca - 18,096 (-5.6%)
26. Menorca - 17,725 (+54.3%)
27. Dubrovnik - 17,049 (+191%)
28. Newburgh - 16,676 (NEW)
29. *Reykjavik - 15,515 (-43.9%)
30. Split - 12,874 (+116.3%)
31. Orlando - 9,176 (+66.6%)
32. Bordeaux - 8,888 (+20.8%)
33. *Dalaman - 8,701 (-67.4%)
34. Corfu - 7,363 (+2.4%)
35. Rhodes - 6,666 (+0.00%)
36. Providence - 6,518 (NEW)
37. Zante - 6,202 (+0.4%)
38. *Verona - 5,755 (-8.1%)
39. Plovdiv - 5,128 (+46.8%)
40. Malta - 4,684 (NEW)
41. *Lyon - 4,589 (-15.5%)
42. *Newark - 2,924 (-96.3%)
43. Cancun - 2,504 (+625.8%)
44. Rovaniemi - 1,754 (+3.1%)
45. Las Vegas - 631 (NEW)
46. Varadero - 567 (+21.4%)
47. *Salzburg - 411 (-86.9%)

BFS BHD
1st Feb 2018, 18:45
Great Job A320.b744! :)

GAZMO
1st Feb 2018, 22:17
Yep
Have to agree great analysis of routes

GLAEDI
1st Feb 2018, 23:25
The Glasgow route must fluctuate greatly depending on Rangers & Celtic games as the number of fans travelling from Ulster to Ibrox or Celtic Park at the weekend is huge.

owenc
2nd Feb 2018, 08:03
Think more people might take the boat. There's no point in taking a flight for 80 miles, really.

KNT544
2nd Feb 2018, 08:47
And yet every flight to Glasgow - and Edinburgh today are completely full.

owenc
2nd Feb 2018, 09:02
And you've monitored the boats have you?

PinOnTheRight
2nd Feb 2018, 09:10
Massive time advantage flying BFS-GLA/EDI over taking the ferry and driving/public transport, unless your destination is Dumfries and Galloway!

owenc
2nd Feb 2018, 09:15
It's a 4 hour drive to Glasgow door to door, i'm not convinced the plane would be faster. Boats wouldn't run if there was no demand anyway.

PinOnTheRight
2nd Feb 2018, 09:21
Ferry is a minimum of 2 hours. Factor in checkin-in a minimum of 30 mins before departure. 90 mins drive Cairnryan to Glasgow centre is ambitious, doable provided you are first off the ferry and don't get stuck behind anyone on the A77. Also taking your own car massively ramps up the price and the minimum return price for that is £148 usually, unless you purchase it in the sale.

BFS-GLA - arrive at STD-40. 45 min block time. Bus to Glasgow City centre - 30 mins. And unless you're booking last minute, still cheaper than £150.

As for demand... I assume you've seen the amount of freight that uses the ferries? Plenty of times I've used P&O and Stena Line and there's only ever been a handful of passengers, the rest are commercial drivers.

El Bunto
2nd Feb 2018, 09:51
BFS-GLA - arrive at STD-40. 45 min block time. Bus to Glasgow City centre - 30 mins. You would arrive 40 minutes before departure? With the state of security these days? Gate closes 25 mins before departure so you're giving yourself 15 minutes from the front door to the gate. That is ambitious.

Block time is until brakes-on. Add on time for airbridge and making secure until doors open. Then another 10 minutes through the airport to the bus station. Then wait for the bus.

There's easily another hour of hurry-up-and-wait you've elided from that air journey. I'm not saying ferries are fast ( not since they scrapped the HSS anyway ) but overall air travel is slower now than any time since the 1950s.

GAZMO
2nd Feb 2018, 09:53
I think the main reason for the drop in GLA and BHX was EZY slashing the summer schedule. On certain days only one daily flight

GAZMO
2nd Feb 2018, 13:11
No rumours Second Dog!

Still waiting on EZY to launch Venice and FR to complete summer schedule

Hopefully will get back to aviation on this thread;)

GAZMO
2nd Feb 2018, 15:01
From Jet2

www.jet2.com/News/Our_Branding_Team_Go_Big_at_Belfast_International!/

SecondDog
2nd Feb 2018, 15:34
Good to see, a bit of colour in a drab area.

GAZMO
2nd Feb 2018, 15:54
One off charter tomorrow. Pity it was not more often

BRIDGETOWN TOM168 11:40

BFS BHD
3rd Feb 2018, 17:32
One of the A319s is being upgraded to a A320 on Wednesday (7th).
Making it 3x A319 & 2x A320.

6th aircraft (A320) arrives around 22nd June for the new routes starting to IOM, NAP, VLC. (Still a few gaps for a few extra flights or a new route or two on the extra A320)
Making it 3x A319 & 3x A320.

KNT544
3rd Feb 2018, 17:45
Its the day before. DZ swaps on the morning rotation via LGW for OE-IVU

BFS BHD
6th Feb 2018, 15:30
Looking at July 2018 and there is some extra flights added.

BHX - extra Sunday flight

FAO - extra Monday & Friday flights

PMI - extra Wednesday flight

AGP - extra Thursday flight

MAN - extra Sunday flight

Appears to fill most of the gaps. Monday & Friday mornings are still available.

So possibly one new route to be added!

GAZMO
6th Feb 2018, 17:09
Maybe the Monday and Friday for Venice:O

GAZMO
13th Feb 2018, 16:47
More jobs on offer

https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/february/airport-valley-leisure-centre-job-fair-has-over-125-jobs-on-offer

DC9_10
17th Feb 2018, 10:36
Great to see EZY winning the battle on the Icelandic route.Bye Bye FI from BHD. #gloating not.

CabinCrewe
17th Feb 2018, 13:07
I dont understand that. A major mainline carrier affiliate with significant connection opportunities vs a P2P low cost carrier at BFS. I would have thought they would have been both nice to have and appeal to different markets. Use it or lose it
and Belfast as a whole lost it.

Callum Paterson
17th Feb 2018, 13:10
Indeed. The failure of FI at BHD will not lead to increased confidence in the Belfast market. Not exactly something BFS will be celebrating.

DC9_10
17th Feb 2018, 14:06
So it failed at Belfast s favourite airport. It hasent at Northern Irelands favourite airport though. Just a thought. Btw,the amount of landing cards I gave out on the AMS-BFS when operating was always double figures. That's a point to point route also.

BFS BHD
17th Feb 2018, 14:50
Any update on EasyJet? Still a gap on Monday and Friday morning for S18. You think they will need to announce soon!

Callum Paterson
17th Feb 2018, 14:56
Yeah because Belfast is such a HUGE city that BHD and BFS serve two entirely different markets...

DC9_10
17th Feb 2018, 15:36
And what has that comment got to do with BFS BHD s question. If referring to the previous post, then it confirms that Belfast/Northern Ireland does not need two airports in close proximity. You can also discount the vanity project called Londonderry/Derry airport. That needs shutting down and the funding returned to the tax payers.

Callum Paterson
17th Feb 2018, 16:16
My comment is directed at those implying Icelandair would have found success in Belfast had they chose BFS over BHD. Of course, this is not the case.

panpanpanpan
17th Feb 2018, 16:23
Great to see EZY winning the battle on the Icelandic route.Bye Bye FI from BHD. #gloating not.

My my Dc9, you really are a bitter little biscuit chucker! I'm sure your fellow aviation workers that rely on Harbour to pay their wages will share your gracious sentiments. :=

DC9_10
17th Feb 2018, 16:36
Don't think anyone would be affected Pan. Not with the low loads lad. It's not like they employed 39 people to check in and dispatch a 3 weekly service that hardly anyone took advantage of.

DC9_10
17th Feb 2018, 16:45
Callum, I totally agree with your thoughts. It would not have been a success no matter which airport it operated from. Fares too high, EZY and Norwegian. All against it. Another vanity project from Brian and Katy. Wasent the best though.

Alteagod
17th Feb 2018, 16:50
Is the true story not that Air Iceland Connect are getting rid of the Q400 aircraft as well as scrapping domestic Iceland routed. Hardly BHDs fault.

DC9_10
17th Feb 2018, 17:02
Probably brought it on themselves by flying to the likes of Belfast and Aberdeen. Icelandair on board is horrific and had the displeasure to fly twice on an I'D90. For most of you spotters on here, it's a staff standby ticket available to airline staff so most of you on here would never get one.

CabinCrewe
17th Feb 2018, 17:04
That is true that aircraft going but there was a quote that these routes had underperformed

DC9_10
17th Feb 2018, 17:06
Exactly. That's what I has just said.

OneBellEnd
18th Feb 2018, 15:33
See Travel Solutions are using Belfast Malaga flts to offer ski packages in the Sierra Nevada next winter.

GAZMO
18th Feb 2018, 15:45
Do you know if they are using FR or EZY scheduled flights or are they going to charter in an aircraft

BFS BHD
18th Feb 2018, 17:44
There is one on the 8th April this winter using Ryanair flights.

OneBellEnd
18th Feb 2018, 17:46
Maybe both? Think they use EZY for packages to Reykjavik, Jersey and a few other places already.

It's only Me
19th Feb 2018, 07:00
And Thomas Cook for their Winter Ski trips to Plovdiv.

BFS BHD
20th Feb 2018, 13:22
Winter 2018/19 flights are being added on the Ryanair app today and there appears to be a 3rd aircraft needed in the mornings with Manchester going two daily.

Monday for example:

06:10 Wroclaw
06:30 Manchester
06:45 Stansted

GAZMO
20th Feb 2018, 13:29
Great news hopefully a few new European routes.

Is it safe to assume that FAO will not be coming back this summer?

BHD2BFS
20th Feb 2018, 14:05
MAN going double daily? 🤔
I wonder who will lose? Can’t be good news for BE. If passengers choose price over airport handiness surely it will affect Flybe’s 7 flights

mart901
20th Feb 2018, 14:22
What makes you think BE will be most affected? They land significantly closer to Belfast than EZY and fly aircraft that are profitable with an average 76% load factor. They could easily strip out a couple of rotations and still offer 5x daily. Looking at STN it seems EZY have trimmed down a bit over summer and using A319's more, I daresay they will do something similar. They held out well against FR to LGW and look who flinched. Where BE might have been prepared to concede on thinner routes I don't think they will for the likes of MAN or BHX.

mart901
20th Feb 2018, 14:27
Also, looking at the timings they are great to get you into Manchester nice and early if your planning a day trip but who want to come back on the last flight of the day at 16.55? Realistically you need to be going through security at about 15.30 and that's being optimistic. It's not really business friendly.

BHD2BFS
20th Feb 2018, 14:27
Would BFS make a deal with Loganair on ABZ and INV I wonder also just a thought

West Brit
20th Feb 2018, 15:37
mart901

There are no rules that if you depart by one airline you have to fly back with the same airline. Mix and match springs to the mind.

GAZMO
20th Feb 2018, 15:38
Interesting thought BHD2BFS??
Loganair seem to be winning the current tussle between the airlines in Scotland

West Brit
20th Feb 2018, 15:42
So Belfast can't attract any new carriers despite the routes conference and all the 'tourist pulls'?
I mean we really are in the wild west here.