PDA

View Full Version : Belfast International-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

DC9_10
9th Sep 2018, 15:21
Don't hold your breath lad, get back to your boss to see if you can reroute your delayed flymaybe passengers who are most likely delayed or cancelled today again at Belfast s favourite airport, or maybe you work on the ramp.

Startledgrapefruit
9th Sep 2018, 15:35
Don't hold your breath lad, get back to your boss to see if you can reroute your delayed flymaybe passengers who are most likely delayed or cancelled today again at Belfast s favourite airport, or maybe you work on the ramp.
Much higher !!

DC9_10
9th Sep 2018, 15:43
Oh sorry Katy or should I call you Ms Best. What happened to Vueling, Brussels Airlines, Icelandair, Eastern airlines and Loganair Katy, and jetsgo the dodgy holiday company.From your post on the Norwegian threat you mention stand 6 and tow bars so either your not Katy or your a ramp supervisor.

Startledgrapefruit
9th Sep 2018, 15:51
Oh sorry Katy or should I call you Ms Best. What happened to Vueling, Brussels Airlines, Icelandair, Eastern airlines and Loganair Katy, and jetsgo the dodgy holiday company.
Now you are just getting desperate !!

DC9_10
9th Sep 2018, 15:57
Hahaha explain my desperation, I'm stating fact Katy. Come on give me your explanation of desperation.

panpanpanpan
10th Sep 2018, 16:06
DC9 - you have either lost the plot a bit or you have been drinking and let your alter ego aka Airport66 take over!

Was the totally false and inaccurate information about KLM made up by you as well if I recall?

Seriously, wise up! I really doubt whether any senior managers from airports or airlines lurk around these boards. Other than yourself of course who is obviously very very high up the ranks! The rest of us are just aviation interested people, we simply can't and don't know the nitty gritty of what goes on behind the scenes and what has been agreed. Still can't understand why someone from Liverpool is so passionately against Harbour anyway, knocked back for a job at some stage I assume.

cuthere
10th Sep 2018, 16:27
Give Airport66 some credit. He/she wasn’t as bitter as DC. Instead, look no further than his previous incarnation, Mutleyshriek. Same agenda.

BFS BHD
11th Sep 2018, 17:31
Malta now on sale (same dates & times as S18)

Stansted times have been added to but not able to book yet. The Saturday evening flight moves to a STN based aircraft. Arriving at 20:20 and departing at 20:45.

GAZMO
11th Sep 2018, 18:34
Maybe making space for a Saturday afternoon bucket and spade route

BFS BHD
17th Sep 2018, 00:42
Was EasyJet not meant to be 3x A319 & 3x A320 for Winter 2018/19?

Looking at seat maps for based aircraft it looks like it is now 4x A319 & 2x A320!

BFS BHD
17th Sep 2018, 20:14
Most routes now appearing for Summer 2019.

Faro not showing.

Tenerife changes from a 11:40 departure to a 17:25 departure.

Manchester one daily.

All other routes appear to be the same.

mart901
17th Sep 2018, 20:44
FAO is always a late one. And MAN, hmm I'd wonder how long it will take to see it dropped BE don't appear to have lost any pax at all. Once a day is chocolate fireguard territory really on a busy domestic commuter route

mwm991
17th Sep 2018, 20:54
Faro doesn't appear just now for Kerry and Newquay either, but its been loaded for a lot of the other smaller frequencies like Prestwick, Cardiff, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Cork, Shannon and Knock.

BFS BHD
18th Sep 2018, 20:02
What's happening with Norwegian Air for Summer 2019? Are they stopping the routes or will they go on sale soon?

snn20
18th Sep 2018, 21:29
Still not on sale? They put their ROI routes on sale 2 months ago

BFS BHD
19th Sep 2018, 00:48
Still not on sale? They put their ROI routes on sale 2 months ago

BFS and EDI still not on sale to US for S19.

BFS BHD
19th Sep 2018, 14:36
Faro now loaded for Summer 2019. Two Weekly from 2nd April to 26th October. Which is the first full Summer season to Faro!

scodaman
19th Sep 2018, 20:04
Faro now loaded for Summer 2019. Two Weekly from 2nd April to 26th October. Which is the first full Summer season to Faro!

Loaded but not bookable at time of writing, every date for next summer esp July and Aug showing sold out.

GAZMO
20th Sep 2018, 07:05
spring 2019 now on sale. No new routes. Prague appears now as Winter Seasonal, I thought it was all year round

GAZMO
20th Sep 2018, 13:55
For posters information

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-losing-out-on-more-air-routes-over-damaging-passenger-levy-report-37334604.html

SecondDog
20th Sep 2018, 16:42
For posters information

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/northern-ireland-losing-out-on-more-air-routes-over-damaging-passenger-levy-report-37334604.html

aye, sure the folks on the hill will make it a priority just as soon as they reseat the assembly. (Maybe once they finish flegs and marches and other such crucial cultural neccessities)

snn20
22nd Sep 2018, 07:16
EDI TATL ops ceasing as well as BCN,TFS. Think that answers the questions RE BFS.

kildress
22nd Sep 2018, 09:15
I travelled via BFS on Thursday afternoon. Security was a shambles with two lines closed. The over-worked staff were doing their best but it was queued back to the escalators. There is no excuse for this, whatever some of the BFS fans think.

True Blue
22nd Sep 2018, 10:01
I don't think any Bfs fan finds it acceptable. But in an age where we all want to fly for peanuts, what do you suggest? Most airports are having problems with security, what is your solution?

NWSRG
22nd Sep 2018, 11:31
I don't think any Bfs fan finds it acceptable. But in an age where we all want to fly for peanuts, what do you suggest?

Agree...while BFS is built on loco flights, it's going to be hard to compete. Look at the investments in BHD...maybe nothing earth shattering, but new security recently, and now the new shopping area (even if it has introduced the dreadful, forced, "black brick road" through perfumery et al). For an airport with a lot less passengers than BFS, but more premium routes (and carriers), it shows what can be done. BFS badly needs to attract an Air France or Luftansa or Delta/America/United/Air Canada. If we can get a few of those airlines, then the momentum builds to introduce 'full fare' type facilities. But it's a vicious circle. You don't get the routes without the facilities, and you don't get the facilities without the routes. But BFS is a poor gateway for NI just now.
I flew into Providence with Norwegian in August...an airport that is 2/3 the size of BFS (in terms of passenger numbers) and yet has a fabulous new terminal...not opulent, but fit for purpose. The big difference...it's owned by the state of Rhode Island, and they see it as a gateway for their state. It's a pity we don't have the same approach here...

Startledgrapefruit
22nd Sep 2018, 11:39
The airport in Hong Kong is nice !!:ok:

owenc
22nd Sep 2018, 14:16
I travelled via BFS on Thursday afternoon. Security was a shambles with two lines closed. The over-worked staff were doing their best but it was queued back to the escalators. There is no excuse for this, whatever some of the BFS fans think.

The airport is too small for the number of passengers it carries now. There is not enough eateries for a start.

toledoashley
22nd Sep 2018, 17:25
EDI TATL ops ceasing as well as BCN,TFS. Think that answers the questions RE BFS.

BFS is being cancelled as well.

West Brit
22nd Sep 2018, 20:28
Are FR starting operations from BHD? Just that my home airport on the phone app is 'Belfast City'.

Alteagod
22nd Sep 2018, 21:06
No idea but somethings go on at BHD for sure

BHD2BFS
23rd Sep 2018, 22:25
I believe the official cancellation of routes from BFS will happen the day they announce BHD as their new Airport

mart901
23rd Sep 2018, 22:37
I believe the official cancellation of routes from BFS will happen the day they announce BHD as their new Airport
Based on what?

SecondDog
24th Sep 2018, 00:44

And the whole lot of balls continues while Dublin laughs?

Startledgrapefruit
24th Sep 2018, 13:10
Norwegian cancelled
announcement in the Belfast Telegraph

I know a lot of winding up and slaging goes on here but genuinely I am sorry for any workers affected by this announcement.

GAZMO
24th Sep 2018, 13:38
I think we all knew it was coming. Sorry to see any airport losing flights. Back to the drawing board for BFS management ?

Delta?? AA?? Not many TA airlines left

West Brit
24th Sep 2018, 13:57
Well all the bull about cutting APD. That has happened on long haul in NI and what do we have? A couple of seasonal bucket and spade flights to Orlando - pathetic.

cuthere
24th Sep 2018, 14:09
Statement from Aldergrove management. Brief highlights:

- "the flight schedule was neither flexible or attractive enough"

- Norwegian's "limited & inferior product"

- Norwegian "moronically" channelled greater levels of NI passengers to Dublin.

flightrisk82
24th Sep 2018, 17:07
Time for BFS management to earn a crust now. I like(d) using BFS as much as possible, its my local, becoming past tense due to what appears to be a continuing decline in service especially around security at times that tend to affect me, and overcrowding generally.

APD / lack of an executive aside, that's 3 pops at the transatlantic cherry that have been blown in fairly quick succession. Why? The first port of call has to be some tough questions of the airport itself and its strategy, its too easy to lay the blame on Dublin, executive, Stormont, APD, the Norwegian product being inferior / narrowbody aircraft (which very few outside of the likes of enthusiasts are going to know anything about) etc. There's 2 million on the doorstep but, having had the opportunity, has anyone really tried finding out why they don't want to use BFS, so you can try and fix it? I haven't been asked and I'm through regularly. How many of the 2 million actively want to go to the US? How many knew about the Norwegian offering? Why did they dismiss it? How many just prefer Dublin and aren't going to be swayed? How many are swayed solely by the prospect of saving 40 quid by connecting through LHR or AMS or CDG or somewhere? Does this market actually exist, or is it one that BFS just really really want to exist? You can't fix the problem until you know what it is.

Personally - I'd much prefer to see priorities shifted to establishing some proper business connections to European cities, more than limited US connectivity or more bucket and spade routes to more parts of Spain that I don't want to go to.

EI-A330-300
24th Sep 2018, 17:13
Statement from Aldergrove management. Brief highlights:

- "the flight schedule was neither flexible or attractive enough"

- Norwegian's "limited & inferior product"

- Norwegian "moronically" channelled greater levels of NI passengers to Dublin.

I actually cannot beleive they have issued such a statement. Makes them look rather unprofessional.

You would be forgiven for thinking they have read about a possible BHD switch on here. On a serious note I hope they conduct themselves better when tryung to attract an airline.

BFS BHD
24th Sep 2018, 17:14
Manchester now two daily for Summer 2019 (was only one daily) using a Manchester based aircraft.

Arrives 0735 and Departs 0800

mart901
24th Sep 2018, 17:34
​​​​​​? ?????? ???? ?? ?

Alteagod
24th Sep 2018, 17:34
Excellent interview Radio Ulster News tonight with Simon Caulder re Norwegian. Even he hinted at them operating from BHD. Before the slagging and knocking listen to his interview. Probably most sensible input into the Aviation scene in NI in many a year.

VickersVicount
24th Sep 2018, 17:52
Interesting Norwegian saying is due to poor customer uptake. Use it or lose it? Did the official stats suggest that was the case?

GAZMO
24th Sep 2018, 17:59
Numbers were never fantastic. It was good it looking for a few days in NY or Boston area, but no connections if you were looking for somewhere else?

West Brit
24th Sep 2018, 18:18
An FR departure to MAN at 0800, that's 170 more passengers to get through security during the morning rush.........

snn20
24th Sep 2018, 18:22
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/399x576/dybfs_13bdf72a68a778d0bd78a96d21a567c2f0512c00.png
A rather childish statement from BFS management RE Norwegian

toledoashley
24th Sep 2018, 18:26
My understanding from a senior Norwegian employee was that Dublin was more attractive for NI passengers given pre-clearance and more flights - not that it was specifically targeting NI passengers to fly from Dublin.

The Nutts Mutts
24th Sep 2018, 18:26
Jeez, for an airport management team to write, let alone publish that, takes some balls!

EI-BUD
24th Sep 2018, 20:08
Margins/yield on Belfast - US routes soft at best.

So if we are to believe what we read somehow BHD can now handle a 737M with a range of 7 hours?

​​​​​​The demand ex BFS was insignificant but somehow from BHD it will be better?

NorthernCounties
24th Sep 2018, 20:44
Painfully embarrassing but not unsurprisingly given what we see from other senior people in NI. The truth of the matter is, Belfast does not need two airports, and as long as it has two, it will never become a major airport. All the feeder traffic in their small aircrafts go into BHD, whilst the aircraft that could do potentially longer distance flights would be based at BFS. But who wants to drive through Antrim in the Summer with all the EDL type paraphernalia around? If we had an unlimited budget, close the two airports down, give over BHD land to developers, and BFS back to the army and create a new airport capable of maybe 10-12 million, and a couple of longer routes. And improve the rail links to Dublin airport so that those in Belfast could be experiencing the wide variety of routes out of DUB within an hour and a half of departing Belfast Central Station. An Island the size of Ireland only needs one large airport, and its obviously going to be located at the economic and international heart of it.

OneBellEnd
24th Sep 2018, 21:16
Think in all honesty there is good North America demand from NI. Otherwise, why would Dublin be advertising so much about US flights in Northern media??

’Norwegian Air’ flying irregularly over the pond from Belfast to somewhere in upstate New York was always a hard sell, especially when there are so many known ways to get there. Rumoured more than Belfast and Edinburgh are a challenge on the transatlantic network, even with low fuel costs. Likely the big problem for Belfast, maybe even Shannon and Cork, is getting enough of the US visitor market, when everything is sold to Ireland citing Dublin as the arrival point.

Maybe the easiest way to go is get rid of air tax and grow a bigger range of European routes?

snn20
24th Sep 2018, 22:17
Think in all honesty there is good North America demand from NI. Otherwise, why would Dublin be advertising so much about US flights in Northern media??

’Norwegian Air’ flying irregularly over the pond from Belfast to somewhere in upstate New York was always a hard sell, especially when there are so many known ways to get there. Rumoured more than Belfast and Edinburgh are a challenge on the transatlantic network, even with low fuel costs. Likely the big problem for Belfast, maybe even Shannon and Cork, is getting enough of the US visitor market, when everything is sold to Ireland citing Dublin as the arrival point.

Maybe the easiest way to go is get rid of air tax and grow a bigger range of European routes?
Ireland is widely sold via the west too..Wild Atlantic Way ect ect hence the success of TATL from SNN

owenc
25th Sep 2018, 05:55
I think the problem is Americans. Americans are more interested in the O Irish situation rather than Northern Ireland. So they’re going to fly into and out of Dublin. .

What we had a few years ago with United is the best we can hope for, with another legacy airline (on the 737 Max).

Belfast needs to be made attractive to fly out of.
1. Extend the Dual Carriageway down from Antrim to the airport. Nothing is as bad as driving on a single track road through a council estate to get to the airport.
2. Add buses to areas other than Belfast.
3. Open a train station, with routes to Belfast and Derry/Londonderry, Coleraine, Ballymena, Bangor etc.
4. Upgrade the whole airport. Expand the passenger terminal, including the security and the eateries, bring in more than one jet bridge. Belfast’s terminal is well past it’s sell by date.

El Bunto
25th Sep 2018, 08:28
3. Open a train station, with routes to Belfast and Derry/Londonderry, Coleraine, Ballymena, Bangor etc.

This would be such a straigtforward piece of infrastructure I really don't understand why it hasn't been done. There was a three mile branch line from Aldergrove station to the airfield until 1918, yet a century later we have nothing...

Startledgrapefruit
25th Sep 2018, 08:32
Maybe because it's hard to get locals to use public transport. They will sit for hours in a jam and blame others for using it while a 10 min delay on a train is "Nolan" material.

owenc
25th Sep 2018, 09:15
Wouldn’t agree with that. Train usuage is rising in NI.

Startledgrapefruit
25th Sep 2018, 09:50
So Belfast, lisburn , and then Knockmore and the run up the hill through all the wee villages to a spur that is long gone
You can't send it By Bleach green.

Thousands would be jumping on that train .

All names taken
25th Sep 2018, 10:42
This is a harsh reality check.
If a low cost airline with rock bottom introductory offer prices can't make a go of it, it just ain't going to happen.

Northern Ireland just isn't a big enough or important enough place to sustain regular flights to the US, other than House of Mouse flights for the school summer holidays.
If a place like Birmingham can't sustain regular flights to the USA, what hope NI? The West Midlands has a million more people in it than the entire population of NI.

Most air passengers in NI are flying to GB - the rest to the med. That's it really - that's what people want.

panpanpanpan
25th Sep 2018, 10:55
Just catching up on this now, that statement is really something else, one can only assume that BIA don't ever anticipate doing business with Norwegian again in any form. Problem is, what if someone within Norwegian subsequently moves to another airline that BIA are trying to do a deal with? Not sure what the protocol is then, do airline managers have long memories? Maybe MOL was up at Aldergrove that day and drafted the statement for them?

As far as the rail line goes, the ultimate question is who pays for it? If its Translink they will want a return on their cash within a relatively short time frame, not spending millions to maybe recoup a profit in 50 years! I remember Harbour wanted to move the Sydenham halt after they moved their terminal and it just wasn't viable. That was moving a halt by half a mile, not starting a new line from scratch along with all the headaches that is going to bring. Don't think it'll happen in my lifetime and the longer its left the harder it will be to actually do.

owenc
25th Sep 2018, 11:03
Not sure I would agree. Dublin takes in a lot of NI passengers.

People didn’t use it because it wasn’t a legacy carrier with connections.

United was in Belfast for ten years.

SWBKCB
25th Sep 2018, 11:04
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/399x576/dybfs_13bdf72a68a778d0bd78a96d21a567c2f0512c00.png
A rather childish statement from BFS management RE Norwegian

This does seem a bit outlandish - what's the source?

Also:

New train service from Derry to Belfast International Airport (https://www.derryjournal.com/news/new-train-service-from-derry-to-belfast-international-airport-1-8646297)

owenc
25th Sep 2018, 11:07
That’s a bus service from Belfast to BFS.

cuthere
25th Sep 2018, 12:00
That’s a bus service from Belfast to BFS.

Did you read the linked article?clearly not. It’s a train to Antrim and then shuttle bus to the airport. Cheaper than the Airporter as well as bus to Belfast city centre and back out again.

owenc
25th Sep 2018, 12:30
It's not a direct train, which is what I just asked for.

cuthere
25th Sep 2018, 12:36
Owen, you said it was a bus from Belfast to BFS. It’s not. Regardless, with the unreliability of NIR, I’m not sure I’ll be using it.

BFS BHD
25th Sep 2018, 13:30
https://www.belfastairport.com/blog-news/2018/september/belfast-international-airport-announces-new-security-provider

kildress
25th Sep 2018, 18:34
An incredibly childish unprofessional response from BFS. This completely explains their inability to manage the facility.
Let's be realistic except for domestic & European short haul, BFS currently serves no purpose It does not serve LHR so LH is not served and so the available options are BHD & DUB. DUB often allows for one less stopover so is superior. Given the motorway routes it is readily accessible to most of the 2M hinterland (many of whom must be Roí residents) claimed by BFS.
Immigration & Customs in DUB are also a significant bonus.

SecondDog
25th Sep 2018, 20:22
An incredibly childish unprofessional response from BFS. This completely explains their inability to manage the facility.
Let's be realistic except for domestic & European short haul, BFS currently serves no purpose It does not serve LHR so LH is not served and so the available options are BHD & DUB. DUB often allows for one less stopover so is superior. Given the motorway routes it is readily accessible to most of the 2M hinterland (many of whom must be Roí residents) claimed by BFS.
Immigration & Customs in DUB are also a significant bonus.

In fairness to them though, they could spell Norwegian....

EIFFS
25th Sep 2018, 20:34
This does seem a bit outlandish - what's the source?

Also:

New train service from Derry to Belfast International Airport (https://www.derryjournal.com/news/new-train-service-from-derry-to-belfast-international-airport-1-8646297)

i regularly operate the Norwegian flights into BFS and it true that its shoddy airport expierence that face both in and out so I’m not surprised that there is leakage to Dublin, add in the huge advantage of preclearence and there are few quicker ways door to door than Dublin to Stewart if you’re heading for downtown NY
Yes you’ve a bus to catch , but it’s dedicated to Norwegians flight schedule, if the flights late it’s still there for you, from parking brake set at Stewart you can be on the bus in under 15 minutes, of course you can do the same to JFK but tarmac delays and then getting into town can take far far longer than the just over the hour trip from Stewart, no surprise it’s gone to double daily and rumoured increase to 3 daily next year.

The suits use BHD to LHR to New York and would never have been attracted to the the single class Norwegian product into SWF with no onward connections.

Whilst I like visiting Belfast I try to avoid routing back to my base via BFS if at all possible LHR to my home isn’t a great deal longer than Belfast centre to BFS airport.

Refuellerman
25th Sep 2018, 20:39
Belfast management need to smell wats cooking, either get their heads out of the sand or dub and europe will bury them. Lo cost needs legacy to pay for the airport.

BFS watcher
25th Sep 2018, 21:48
[QUOTE=Refuellerman;10258327]Belfast management need to smell wats cooking, either get their heads out of the sand or dub and europe will bury them. Lo cost needs legacy to pay for the airport.[/

On the positive side August up 14% and the rolling 12 months has gone through the 6 million barrier for the first ever time according to CAA stats. Considering they were as low as 4 million there has been some growth over the last 5 years. Northern Ireland public voting with their wallets.

NWSRG
25th Sep 2018, 21:49
Personal opinion only, but I prefer flying to and from Belfast (even via LHR / LGW) than the two hour drive when you get home from Dublin, jetlagged, probably having been wide-awake across the pond on the way home. And pre-clearance adds two hours on the road, and an extra hour in the terminal in DUB...again, personal opinion, but I'm happy to clear immigration in the US on arrival.

PVD was circa 20-25 minutes, SFO last year was about the same, MCO maybe 30 minutes...my only bad experience was 90 minutes in EWR. And while you're in the queue for immigration, you'd only be waiting for baggage anyway...also, the new 'ATMs' do speed things up.

So for me, it will be BFS-MCO next year, or maybe BFS-LGW-MCO, or BHD-MAN-MCO.

Cozy F
25th Sep 2018, 22:18
Speaking of what works and what doesn’t, surely this type of public subsidy on US routes into Dublin seriously skews a whole market out of shape? Wonder if any other operators ever thought of making a complaint?

Aer Lingus extends commitment to Bradley Airport; CT reduces revenue guarantee HartfordBusiness.com (http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20180914/NEWHAVENBIZ/180919931/aer-lingus-extends-commitment-to-bradley-airport-ct-reduces-revenue-guarantee)

owenc
25th Sep 2018, 22:49
I have to agree. DUB is a 3 hour treck for me! Although people only seem to care about County Down, I don’t see people talking about anywhere else when discussing the drive from NI to DUB.

I see 90 mins constantly quoted.

Shamrock350
26th Sep 2018, 04:11
Speaking of what works and what doesn’t, surely this type of public subsidy on US routes into Dublin seriously skews a whole market out of shape? Wonder if any other operators ever thought of making a complaint?

Aer Lingus extends commitment to Bradley Airport; CT reduces revenue guarantee HartfordBusiness.com (http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20180914/NEWHAVENBIZ/180919931/aer-lingus-extends-commitment-to-bradley-airport-ct-reduces-revenue-guarantee)
Doubt you’ll see many operators complain of such deals when they’ve probably got a few of their own on the go. Quite a few regional US airports have these deals in place and it’s open to airlines willing to match their criteria whether that be aircraft size, frequency or network offering.

Dont forget Stormont was to throw £9million at United just to keep them from axing the route.

madgav
26th Sep 2018, 06:05
Personal opinion only, but I prefer flying to and from Belfast (even via LHR / LGW) than the two hour drive when you get home from Dublin, jetlagged, probably having been wide-awake across the pond on the way home. And pre-clearance adds two hours on the road, and an extra hour in the terminal in DUB...again, personal opinion, but I'm happy to clear immigration in the US on arrival.

PVD was circa 20-25 minutes, SFO last year was about the same, MCO maybe 30 minutes...my only bad experience was 90 minutes in EWR. And while you're in the queue for immigration, you'd only be waiting for baggage anyway...also, the new 'ATMs' do speed things up.

So for me, it will be BFS-MCO next year, or maybe BFS-LGW-MCO, or BHD-MAN-MCO.
Agree 100% with all of the above. I've done both ways and will always prioritise options from BFS or BHD. Unless there is a very large amount of £££ to be saved.
Pre clearance is a total non-issue for the reasons indicated above. 30 mins at JFK last August.
Typing this at BFS waiting for my flight to VNO.

True Blue
26th Sep 2018, 12:16
So it seems that for a route to New York area to have the best chance of success it needs to be to one of the major airports there and have the ability to connect. Narrows the choice a bit for Bfs management.

True Blue
26th Sep 2018, 12:44
I passed through Bfs on Monday about 2.00pm. Security not that busy and I was using priority lane. 4/5 pax in front of me.

One pax had about 20 bottles of liquid not in bags. To be fair, the security agent was re-packing all this into a number of plastic bags. That I didn't agree with. We have had these rules now for 10+ years, I think people who do this should be sent back to pack liquids properly. End result was that I had to wait maybe 15 minutes whilst all this confusion was going on. But I had paid for a fast service. To make matters worse, the guy who was causing the problem was complaining it was taking too long and he could miss his flight.

I make over 50 flights a year and my goal is to try and make sure the security alarm does not go off. So I take everything off that could cause a problem. So when I passed through the arch, I had only my wedding ring on that was metal. But it went off. So I had to take shoes off and go through the scanner. Last time I did this, nothing showed. This time, something in my left trouser pocket as I checked the screen. After the full body search I had to bring out what was in my pocket, 2 £20 notes. He took them off me and opened them up to check inside. I made a comment that there was something wrong with security when it had got to the point on checking inside bank notes. Apparently they make all sorts of major discoveries inside bank notes, I was told.

Then my liquids came through, had to be tested for traces of explosive.

Then my jacket came through, my phone was in the inside pocket. I was asked what was in the pocket, they had to see the phone. Then it was a question that there was something else, that was my credit card wallet, they had to see it.

By this stage I could really have lost my temper.

I did observe that the alarm was sounding for a very large number of people, I have seen that before. I don't know what was going on on Monday, everyone seemed to be getting a hard time at security, but it was not a good experience.

I returned through Lgw last night, I took the same steps and walked right through security, no questions asked. Both airports should have the same levels, why do they not?

Refuellerman
26th Sep 2018, 14:50
I passed through Bfs on Monday about 2.00pm. Security not that busy and I was using priority lane. 4/5 pax in front of me.

One pax had about 20 bottles of liquid not in bags. To be fair, the security agent was re-packing all this into a number of plastic bags. That I didn't agree with. We have had these rules now for 10+ years, I think people who do this should be sent back to pack liquids properly. End result was that I had to wait maybe 15 minutes whilst all this confusion was going on. But I had paid for a fast service. To make matters worse, the guy who was causing the problem was complaining it was taking too long and he could miss his flight.

I make over 50 flights a year and my goal is to try and make sure the security alarm does not go off. So I take everything off that could cause a problem. So when I passed through the arch, I had only my wedding ring on that was metal. But it went off. So I had to take shoes off and go through the scanner. Last time I did this, nothing showed. This time, something in my left trouser pocket as I checked the screen. After the full body search I had to bring out what was in my pocket, 2 £20 notes. He took them off me and opened them up to check inside. I made a comment that there was something wrong with security when it had got to the point on checking inside bank notes. Apparently they make all sorts of major discoveries inside bank notes, I was told.

Then my jacket came through, my phone was in the inside pocket. I was asked what was in the pocket, they had to see the phone. Then it was a question that there was something else, that was my credit card wallet, they had to see it.

I did observe that the alarm was sounding for a very large number of people, I have seen that before. I don't know what was going on on Monday, everyone seemed to be getting a hard time at security, but it was not a good experience.

I returned through Lgw last night, I took the same steps and walked right through security, no questions asked. Both airports should have the same levels, why do they not?
obviously u got a pratt who sounds like a bit of a cock, but security is very important, none the less. Agree it should be the same everywhere

lfc84
26th Sep 2018, 15:13
might have been eyes watching the eyes

SecondDog
26th Sep 2018, 16:38

If you travel 50 times a year, should you not know that the metal detector beeping can happen to anyone regardless of the presence of metal and if the body scanner shows a specific area for search then they have to check it out until satisfied that it is not an attempt to transport a prohibited or suspicious item (i am sure you can imagine there are various substances that could be found inside a 20 that might be of interest)

As a seasoned traveller you should probably also have known to take the mobile out of your jacket pocket and put it in a tray with any other electrics.

Liquids are subject to random search for the reasons you say you know about and are happy with so I fail to see why you could 'have lost your temper' when it seems like the Security at BFS carried out a search by the numbers and the only thing you can legitimately be annoyed about is the other passenger who was not ready for search. Yet somehow the blame is transferred?

As to why LGW didn't check your phone (if it was in your pocket again) is one for them to answer. It doesn't mean BFS got it wrong just because it gave you less hassle.

kildress
26th Sep 2018, 16:59
In fairness to them though, they could spell Norwegian....

Didn't do them much good.
Such pettiness is childish and unnecessary.

kildress
26th Sep 2018, 17:20
So it now seems that both BFS and ICTS accept that Security Clearance has not been up to scratch, each seem to blame the other. I'm glad that's all cleared up.

EI-BUD
26th Sep 2018, 19:30
Doubt you’ll see many operators complain of such deals when they’ve probably got a few of their own on the go. Quite a few regional US airports have these deals in place and it’s open to airlines willing to match their criteria whether that be aircraft size, frequency or network offering.

Dont forget Stormont was to throw £9million at United just to keep them from axing the route.

Bradley Airport works so closely with Aer Lingus as the link to Dublin doesn't just offer Dublin, it's connectivity to UK and Europe....and it works very well from that respect...

True Blue
26th Sep 2018, 19:40
SecondDog. I travel enough to know that some security personnel are petty in the extreme. I also travel enough to know that there is massive inconsistency in what happens every time I go through a search.

If the system is so good, why are random searches needed? You see, some of the nonsense we are subjected to in UK airports I haven't experienced in Spain, Turkey or other countries. And you can hardly claim they do it worse, can you?

So when I am convinced that everything we are subjected to as pax is absolutely necessary, then I will accept it. But at the minute, I believe there is a fair amount of input from the over the top brigade.

Refuellerman
26th Sep 2018, 20:08
Sept 11 2001 was over the top as well, 30mm blades are too easy concealed, id be amazed if security were over the top following that.

edi_local
26th Sep 2018, 20:22
SecondDog. I travel enough to know that some security personnel are petty in the extreme. I also travel enough to know that there is massive inconsistency in what happens every time I go through a search.

If the system is so good, why are random searches needed? You see, some of the nonsense we are subjected to in UK airports I haven't experienced in Spain, Turkey or other countries. And you can hardly claim they do it worse, can you?

So when I am convinced that everything we are subjected to as pax is absolutely necessary, then I will accept it. But at the minute, I believe there is a fair amount of input from the over the top brigade.

Inconsistency helps prevent a routine that people could become accustomed to and exploit.

Random checks are need for the same above reason. If the system is designed to not only catch suspicious items but also attempt to catch out innocent people carrying nothing it means that people will be less likely to even attempt to take anything bad on board.

SecondDog
26th Sep 2018, 20:24

Actually, if you are talking security, those countries you mentioned are considered to be not up to the same standard as UK. Perhaps your experiences reflect that. The 'nonsense' you refer to again shows that you are more interested in the relative hassle of the process as you experience it, rather than hearing or being bothered with the reality of the situation with regard to the intel that is used to create the security procedures/requirements.

As for petty security agents, I would say there are a fair number of them that are created through repeated dealings with a-hole passengers (of which there are plenty)

An over the top brigade? You mean like 'could have got angry' because they had to check you for leaving your phone in your jacket. Takes one to know one I suppose.

Cozy F
26th Sep 2018, 20:34
Sham, you hit the nail on the head there about schemes and complaints.

The proposed assistance to United in Belfast, whatever the real sum actually was before the media played around with it, was never actually ruled upon as being forbidden. After Dublin complained about the proposal to the EU the airline simply took cold feet about the investigation, folded up their tent of their own accord and consolidated services into Dublin before the subject was even looked at. Least-wise that’s how the position was explained to me.

That’s exactly why someone complaining and bringing possible unfair tactics forward for investigation is a more relevant matter than the actual existence and nature of the subsidy.

You can pretty well get away with anything adopting a policy of seeking forgiveness rather than permission - until someone complains.

True Blue
26th Sep 2018, 20:57
and believing you are always right? that comments made by those who experience the process carry no weight? If that attitude was taken by a private business, there would be no business. Only thing that saves airport/security providers, throw the rule book at anyone who raises their voice, throw them out. And for your information, I obey the rules and respect them. You were not there, so you don't know what I experienced. I made no comment other than to the person who carried out my body search. You did not experience my experience of being almost barked at. I have put my coat through lots of times with my phone inside, maybe you could explain why it has never been queried before, including at Bfs. Regarding your comment that other countries are not to the same standard, I assume they meet the required standard otherwise the service would not be allowed to operate to the UK. I have seen security inspectors who have flown out to Turkey, watch the security process out there for a particular flight and board the same aircraft back home.Turkey has required you to remove watches for years, not needed here?

I have posted on here on a number of occasions of passing through Bfs security without any problem or serious delay. Monday was different.

owenc
26th Sep 2018, 21:43
I went through BFS on Monday morning and it was fine.

EGAC is Better
27th Sep 2018, 02:39
Actually, if you are talking security, those countries you mentioned are considered to be not up to the same standard as UK. Perhaps your experiences reflect that. The 'nonsense' you refer to again shows that you are more interested in the relative hassle of the process as you experience it, rather than hearing or being bothered with the reality of the situation with regard to the intel that is used to create the security procedures/requirements.

As for petty security agents, I would say there are a fair number of them that are created through repeated dealings with a-hole passengers (of which there are plenty)

An over the top brigade? You mean like 'could have got angry' because they had to check you for leaving your phone in your jacket. Takes one to know one I suppose.

I can’t remember a time that I personally have been asked to remove my phone from my coat pocket. I am also a seasoned traveller.

”Any iPads or laptops in your bag?” is all I’ve ever been asked. The answer to that is usually, “They are already in that tray”. Never a mention of a phone having to be put separately. Infact, the contrary. Once at another UK airport I was told I could keep phone in coat as long as it went through the scanner!

SecondDog, perhaps you could draw a line under this by referencing the actual guidance that says phones must be removed from pockets? I can’t find it, admittedley with a very brief search on Google.

SecondDog
27th Sep 2018, 10:00
I can’t remember a time that I personally have been asked to remove my phone from my coat pocket. I am also a seasoned traveller.

”Any iPads or laptops in your bag?” is all I’ve ever been asked. The answer to that is usually, “They are already in that tray”. Never a mention of a phone having to be put separately. Infact, the contrary. Once at another UK airport I was told I could keep phone in coat as long as it went through the scanner!

SecondDog, perhaps you could draw a line under this by referencing the actual guidance that says phones must be removed from pockets? I can’t find it, admittedley with a very brief search on Google.

Ah Jaysus, god forbid Google can't provide the answer.

A seasoned traveller, as mentioned to TB above, can often see things from the hassle-my-journey point of view.

There are many reasons for the variations people experience in searches at different airports. For example, when you were told you could leave the phone in your pocket. Did you note the make and model number of the scanner so that we could discern whether it has a more able detection/investigation system when compared to the one where A.N. Other is asked to put his/her electronics seperate in a tray? Rest assured the potential for skullduggery in a mobile is as relevant as in a tablet or laptop. Why would you choose to leave a device in your coat pocket that may be obscured when they are clearly looking at electrical devices as a risk factor? It baffles me that these sorts of questions are coming from 'seasoned' travellers. Perhaps familiarity breeds contempt.

If it wasn't for the fact that rants from people like that give as much hassle as the dopey people referenced above who don't prepare through ignorance, I might be a bit more soft soapy but you guys are as annoying as the irregular traveller who is flummoxed by the whole thing.

True Blue
27th Sep 2018, 15:41
SecondDog, you may well be correct in everything you say, I will give you that. But it also does no harm to occasionally ask, did we get it right this time? I do follow the rules, I have been asked about laptops, tablets etc, never phones to be put in a tray. I try my very best to be as organised as I can be, liquids, tablet etc out. No coins in my pockets, watch off. Do as much as possible to keep that alarm from going off, but I understand that there are random checks. But here is the point. For a number of years now, I have put my phone in my carry -on bag at security. It has never been questioned. I thought I was doing a good thing, no phone on my person, my body. The last few times, it has been in my jacket pocket, that is going through Xray. Never queried until yesterday. This has been through multiple airports, majority UK.

This is a genuine question. What is the difference in having my phone in my carry-on bag and in my coat pocket? Both end up in the cabin. Thanks in advance for your reply, it might help some of us understand better what the issues are.

I do think you are being a little bit unfair in thinking we are all arrogant business travellers, I respect the rules. But I am also the payer for the cost of security.

EGAC is Better
27th Sep 2018, 22:53
SecondDog, you may well be correct in everything you say, I will give you that. But it also does no harm to occasionally ask, did we get it right this time? I do follow the rules, I have been asked about laptops, tablets etc, never phones to be put in a tray. I try my very best to be as organised as I can be, liquids, tablet etc out. No coins in my pockets, watch off. Do as much as possible to keep that alarm from going off, but I understand that there are random checks. But here is the point. For a number of years now, I have put my phone in my carry -on bag at security. It has never been questioned. I thought I was doing a good thing, no phone on my person, my body. The last few times, it has been in my jacket pocket, that is going through Xray. Never queried until yesterday. This has been through multiple airports, majority UK.

This is a genuine question. What is the difference in having my phone in my carry-on bag and in my coat pocket? Both end up in the cabin. Thanks in advance for your reply, it might help some of us understand better what the issues are.

I do think you are being a little bit unfair in thinking we are all arrogant business travellers, I respect the rules. But I am also the payer for the cost of security.

Exactly the same for me. Just because I travel regularly doesn’t mean I know every in an out of what goes on. I follow exactly what I am told to do and I have NEVER, even at BFS been told to put my phone outside of my jacket.

As for the reason I leave it in my coat, it’s because I then have one less thing to repack when I get through. You know, effeciency and clearing myself and my trays away as soon as possible so I can get out of every elses way.

So no, I’m not just a whingy business traveller who thinks the rules shouldn’t apply to them. It’s the opposite. I am someone who is always prepared for security and ready to go. I’m a guy with my belt off, laptop out and liquids bag in my hand before I even reach the belt.

That said, your ‘nkt on Google’ rant didn’t answer my question. If phones need to be placed with electronics, where do I find that information? And why is that not made explictly clear to everyone? Afterall it is only one more word to the standard sentence i’m always asked when my laptop is already visible in the tray in front of me!

cuthere
27th Sep 2018, 23:03
Well, I put my phone in my hand luggage, or suit carrier, in the knowledge that technology has advanced sufficiently for a security scanner to penetrate a jacket, a bag, a suit carrier etc etc to see what’s in it. Arguments to the contrary which contain “different machines blah blah” without proper technological explanation are just bullsh*t.

Fundamentally True Blue (with whom I have not always agreed) had a poor experience at BFS security. Why doubt this? Instead of going on the defensive, try and figure out why this was a negative experience. Instead of questioning (inanely) knowledge of security protocol, put your hands up and say “yeah, admittedly in a potentially busy and maybe even stressful work environment, THEY GOT IT WRONG”. Not difficult Dog. Certainly about as difficult as scanning the contents of a jacket at a “modern” airport.

NWSRG
28th Sep 2018, 17:38

Absolutely agree with you TB...the reality is that security is a game. An attempt to show that we are all safe. In reality, I have managed to get through with liquids that I shouldn't (unintentionally I may add)...and didn't we see a knife (again unintentionally) carried through this week?

It's a spreadsheet exercise...as are the random searches. And often, it gets totally out of perspective.

And I agree totally...those who aren't prepared for the game, and need to repack, should at very least be asked to step aside.

True Blue
29th Sep 2018, 19:11
https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/09/28/to-add-to-belfast-international-airports-woes-what-is-going-on-with-easyjet/

Refuellerman
29th Sep 2018, 21:45
https://sluggerotoole.com/2018/09/28/to-add-to-belfast-international-airports-woes-what-is-going-on-with-easyjet/
yes there are delays but slugger, blogger is not really correct. Many a delay is under 5 mins which the airline make up upon arrival.

Refuellerman
29th Sep 2018, 22:32
https://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/opinion/we-will-not-get-airport-provision-right-in-northern-ireland-until-we-have-bold-politicians-willing-to-take-hard-decisions-1-8651627

BFS BHD
29th Sep 2018, 23:23
Looks like the work has started on the new Premier Inn at the airport.

mart901
30th Sep 2018, 09:08
yes there are delays but slugger, blogger is not really correct. Many a delay is under 5 mins which the airline make up upon arrival.
Have to say I agree. I fly so many times, literally multiple times in a month and have never been in the huge queues although I know they happen. Maybe twice in as many years I've been delayed. I was flying on one of the nights mentioned there was storms all over europe EZY operated my STN flight because of crew who were willing to work overtime, the aircraft having dealt in one day with a medical emergency on its first flight, a diversion into IBZ due to a thunderstorm, atc restriction at STN, the whole of STN being evacuated whole the aircraft was on stand, the cleaning crew not being able to board the plane the cabin crew serviced the aircraft themselves and EZY were intending to cancel and decided against. I've never seen more friendly crew, they were so apologetic, we were offered free drinks and snacks on the plane.

EGAC is Better
30th Sep 2018, 10:28
Arguments to the contrary which contain “different machines blah blah” without proper technological explanation are just bullsh*t.
This ^

Not to drag this on but I’ve just passed through Orlando this weekend. The TSA agents, “Passports and cell phones in you hand luggage or pockets. We only need to see electronics bigger than your cell in trays.” Are the TSA not know to extremely thorough?

Anyway, personally I’m done with it. As far as I’m concern every other airport lets me put my phone in carry on or pocket so it’ll stay there until explictly told otherwise.

Startledgrapefruit
1st Oct 2018, 12:20
BELFAST TELEGRAPH STORY SLERT!!

OK
Who is first to take the bait ??

GAZMO
1st Oct 2018, 13:57
Im sure there will many a response

Interesting that I have had no issues this summer until Tuesday last week when it took me 50 mins to pass through.

Queue started before scanning, but as the article in BT stated all security lanes open. Likewise on Tuesday and queues moved steadily, although at a slow pace, apart from the couple in front of me who had to put their liquids in plastic bags at the X ray machine hence holding up the queue

Maybe additional lanes needed?? Looking forward to the queue this Thursday morning!!!!

GAZMO
1st Oct 2018, 14:27
And more issues

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/server-issue-temporarily-cancels-northern-ireland-ryanair-flights-37372272.html

panpanpanpan
1st Oct 2018, 16:30
More issues with security this morning I believe. More missed flights and disgruntled pax. Will the new security company solve these issues or will they simply inherit an infrastructure that is simply not fit for purpose? Coupled with staff that I assume will TUPE across, is anything really going to change?

Ironically it does appear that Aldergrove are victims of their own success, its just a pity they didn't have the capacity to deal with all of the new flights and increased pax numbers that has happened so quickly.

I have a solution though, send the Harbour marketing team up to Antrim and the Aldergrove marketing team to Harbour. Before you know it Aldergrove will once again be sweeping tumbleweed from their ramp and Harbour will have the numbers to make use of their nice new shiny security area! Simples!:}

True Blue
1st Oct 2018, 17:58
I passed through security yesterday about 5.15 pm. Priority lane. I was through in 2-3 minutes. No questions asked, my phone was in my carry on bag.

I was meeting a colleague and found him just inside the boarding pass gates. The queue stretched back to there. I feared he would not make our 7.00 pm flight. He joined me in the terminal in about 20 minutes, couldn't believe it. But well done yesterday.

I think one of the issues is the sheer unpredictability of security, it does seem to go from being fine to long delays. Since they know how many pax to expect, there must be other issues impacting here?

scodaman
1st Oct 2018, 18:03
I used BFS for the first time in 6 years around 5 weeks ago late August and I was not impressed tbh.

The airport itself reminds me of Leeds Bradford, busy but not a massive airport. Overall security was not too bad as we made sure to get there for around 4.30am for a 7.10am flight. The security tray area was not too bad but there was a bottle neck growing at the bit before that where you scan your boarding pass. They had about 5 x tray q's open but only 3 boarding scan sections at the most so there was potential for a bottle neck already.

But my memory is not of the q's, it was the state of the departure gate. Can't mind if it was gate 27 or 28 but it was down these dingy stairs and no joke, while waiting at the bottom of the stairs at the door to go to the Jet2 to Faro plane I looked above at the roof and it was like something from BBC 'Wildlfe on One'. This was not a high roof, just a foot or two above head level. I was waiting on David Attenborough to arrive with a camera crew ffs. Between a mass of cobwebs, alive and dead spiders and dead flies and blue bottles it was disgusting. This was above departing customers heads, it obviously had not been cleaned all summer. I thought it left a bad impression on passengers departing from BFS and NI.

owenc
1st Oct 2018, 19:12
I passed through security yesterday about 5.15 pm. Priority lane. I was through in 2-3 minutes. No questions asked, my phone was in my carry on bag.

I was meeting a colleague and found him just inside the boarding pass gates. The queue stretched back to there. I feared he would not make our 7.00 pm flight. He joined me in the terminal in about 20 minutes, couldn't believe it. But well done yesterday.

I think one of the issues is the sheer unpredictability of security, it does seem to go from being fine to long delays. Since they know how many pax to expect, there must be other issues impacting here?
What is your career, that requires you to be in and out of Belfast every few days?

ESCNI
2nd Oct 2018, 08:38
I went through BFS on Saturday morning and something triggered the alarm; after a full body scan, they still didn't know what had caused it ... this has never happened to me before.

Could somebody have tweaked the settings, thereby causing significant delays?

madgav
2nd Oct 2018, 09:32
I went through BFS on Saturday morning and something triggered the alarm; after a full body scan, they still didn't know what had caused it ... this has never happened to me before.

Could somebody have tweaked the settings, thereby causing significant delays?

Went through last Wed. Emptied my pockets of everything. Belt off. Watch off. Etc. Usually that's enough to ensure that it doesn't go off. This time it did. Full body scan and pat down. If this is happening as often as it seems to be given the posts on here, it can't be helping the security delays.

cuthere
2nd Oct 2018, 09:39
Went through last Wed. Emptied my pockets of everything. Belt off. Watch off. Etc. Usually that's enough to ensure that it doesn't go off. This time it did. Full body scan and pat down. If this is happening as often as it seems to be given the posts on here, it can't be helping the security delays.

The scanners are set to go off every ninth or tenth person regardless. Sometimes more randomly, sometimes less randomly. This happened regardless of you having taken all precautions to prevent this. You may just have been unlucky.

Refuellerman
2nd Oct 2018, 11:06
The scanners are set to go off every ninth or tenth person regardless. Sometimes more randomly, sometimes less randomly. This happened regardless of you having taken all precautions to prevent this. You may just have been unlucky.
maybe the prince Albert set it off 🤣🤣

madgav
2nd Oct 2018, 11:33
Perhaps..... :eek: Wouldn't have thought it worth mentioning other than there seemed to be a few very similar comments on here. :}

cuthere
2nd Oct 2018, 11:38
In which case, perhaps the incidence of random activations is higher than other airports, thereby slowing things down and leading to the queues reported.

True Blue
2nd Oct 2018, 12:39
Cuthere . I have thought the same. On occasions I have seen almost every passenger hooked.

Refuellerman
2nd Oct 2018, 15:42
Seriously but, they can and do turn them up and down. Another 2 security lanes to be constructed, or squeezed in to the security hall in the winter

BFS Dude
2nd Oct 2018, 18:08
No talk of ryanair starting any new routes for next summer
Palma and Barcelona maybe

EGAC is Better
2nd Oct 2018, 19:47
No talk of ryanair starting any new routes for next summer
Palma and Barcelona maybe

Why do you think they would fly to Barcelona? They already serve Girona from Belfast and it is marketed as Barcelona.

Palma would likely be a blood bath. Between easyJet, Jet2, Thomas Cook and TUI I would guess there might already be enough capacity on the route.

Refuellerman
2nd Oct 2018, 22:05
Why do you think they would fly to Barcelona? They already serve Girona from Belfast and it is marketed as Barcelona.

Palma would likely be a blood bath. Between easyJet, Jet2, Thomas Cook and TUI I would guess there might already be enough capacity on the route.
If ryanair opem any more routes I'd bet it to be with airport funding, any chance of a couple of quid.

BFS BHD
3rd Oct 2018, 13:27
Alicante - Now operates every week at 2-4 weekly.

Antalya - Starts 4th March.

Faro - Ends 3rd November 2019 and Start 27th March 2020

Fuerteventura - 1 Weekly

Gran Canaria - 1-2 Weekly

Lanzarote - 2 Weekly (Up to four flights a week over Christmas)

Maderia - Now only operates in Summer ends 11th Nov 2019 and restarts 6th April 2020.

Malaga - Ends 2 November 2019 and Starts 11th April 2020.

Palma - Ends 3rd November 2019 and Starts 2nd April 2020

Paphos - Starts 4 March 2020

Tenerife - 3 Weekly

* No ski flight bookable yet

mart901
3rd Oct 2018, 18:30
https://nitravelnews.com/news/virgin-atlantic-new-worldwide-partner-for-easyjet/

BFS BHD
4th Oct 2018, 18:05
Low bookings on the Jet2 flights to Funchal for W18/19?
BFS is the only airport not bookable to Funchal for W19/20 with Jet2!

GAZMO
8th Oct 2018, 15:26
If it isn't security it is delays

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/easyjet-defends-belfast-punctuality-after-frequent-flyer-complains-of-service-reliability-37372358.html

Trip last week through security for morning flight 6 mins. Most of that time was meandering up and down lanes. Only one person in front of me at X ray point

GAZMO
8th Oct 2018, 17:41
Anybody know about this flight tomorrow
TORONTO SWG9027 10:35

Fly757X
8th Oct 2018, 17:53
Anybody know about this flight tomorrow
TORONTO SWG9027 10:35

The Thomson 737 is returning to Sunwing.

Refuellerman
8th Oct 2018, 22:11
The Thomson 737 is returning to Sunwing.
lol the sunwing aircraft is returning to Canada 🤣🤣

GAZMO
9th Oct 2018, 13:47
How do deal with drunk passengers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45798864

Fly757X
9th Oct 2018, 17:16
lol the sunwing aircraft is returning to Canada 🤣🤣

Haha :( , I wasn't concentrating. It was C-FJVE. An aircraft that was leased to Smartwings for the summer on a Gas 'N' go flight back to Toronto.

Refuellerman
10th Oct 2018, 03:31
Haha :( , I wasn't concentrating. It was C-FJVE. An aircraft that was leased to Smartwings for the summer on a Gas 'N' go flight back to Toronto.
its good to laugh lol, dint know what happened to the aircraft that were in belfast over the summer

BFS BHD
12th Oct 2018, 17:00
In the United Kingdom, Belfast International Airport, which joined the VINCI Airports network in September, handled close to 2 million passengers in the third quarter of 2018, representing 12.2% growth over the same period in 2017, driven by the popularity of the London Stansted route operated by Ryanair.

https://www.vinci-airports.com/en/news/q3-2018-traffic-continued-traffic-growth-across-vinci-airports-network

BFS BHD
13th Oct 2018, 11:39
its good to laugh lol, dint know what happened to the aircraft that were in belfast over the summer

Operating out of Aberdeen/Glasgow at the minute.

Refuellerman
13th Oct 2018, 12:39
Operating out of Aberdeen/Glasgow at the minute.
thanks BFS BHD, would have thought it could be better utilized at bfs for longer, than abz???

True Blue
13th Oct 2018, 20:28
Passed through security last Thursday about 4.45pm. Security very busy, queue right back to the scanners. But it moved very quickly. I was through the priority lane in minutes with no hassle. The person with me was in the general lane but was processed in about 20 minutes.

What was going on though was passengers ducking below those useless lane ropes out of the general lane into priority, causing someone from security to have to go over and send them back, taking him away from what he should have been doing. There was a lot of that happening.

Refuellerman
15th Oct 2018, 11:34
Was through security this morning on the way to meeting, anyway, airport security and all the food outlets, shops all doing good buisness, cant really see it coping but if there is any more routes next summer but......

BFS BHD
17th Oct 2018, 14:22
Salzburg now on sale for Winter 2019/20 on Saturdays.
Times change from 10:05 departure to 14:40 departure (Likely to fit in the Alicante flights).
Flights will be on the B737-300.

BFS BHD
17th Oct 2018, 18:48
Mount Charles agrees new £30m contract with Belfast International Airport - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/10/17/news/mount-charles-agrees-new-30m-contract-with-belfast-international-airport-1460200/?param=ds441rif44T)

GAZMO
19th Oct 2018, 15:25
Are Jet2 dropping Verona for next winter. From their latest press release no VRN flights

https://www.jet2.com/News/Jet2_com_Launches_Ski_Programme_for_Winter_19/20/

BFS BHD
19th Oct 2018, 16:41
There is a gap for Verona before the Tenerife flights on Saturdays.

BFS BHD
24th Oct 2018, 14:40
Looking at Flightradar24 it is showing Sundays flight to Vilnius being operated by the A321, can anyone confirm? And is it for the whole winter? Think last year it was upgraded to the A321 but was only a month or two then went back to A320.

owenc
26th Oct 2018, 09:12
Would this suggest that United is looking at returning back to British Isles Transatlantic flying? As I know that they ceased this for Transcon flying, so maybe that market will be filled now.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1406913&sid=e420240de8b155efa7df950f3b3a4d62&start=50 (https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1406913&sid=e420240de8b155efa7df950f3b3a 4d62&start=50)

BFS BHD
29th Oct 2018, 00:35
Would this suggest that United is looking at returning back to British Isles Transatlantic flying? As I know that they ceased this for Transcon flying, so maybe that market will be filled now.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1406913&sid=e420240de8b155efa7df950f3b3a4d62&start=50

Link does't work

Lon12
29th Oct 2018, 09:28
Looking at Flightradar24 it is showing Sundays flight to Vilnius being operated by the A321, can anyone confirm? And is it for the whole winter? Think last year it was upgraded to the A321 but was only a month or two then went back to A320.

for all winter.

https://preview.ibb.co/gNAQqq/866506-BF-523-E-4-D40-9415-9-FDED0513-F4-B.jpg (https://ibb.co/eor9GV)

BFS BHD
29th Oct 2018, 13:54
for all winter.

https://preview.ibb.co/gNAQqq/866506-BF-523-E-4-D40-9415-9-FDED0513-F4-B.jpg (https://ibb.co/eor9GV)
Thank you for the information!

GAZMO
29th Oct 2018, 19:52
APD and two new routes....
Political leaders united in letter to Theresa May over air passenger duty - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/10/29/news/political-leaders-united-in-letter-to-theresa-may-over-air-passenger-duty-1470267/)

owenc
29th Oct 2018, 20:09
Disgrace that the regions outside London are forced to pay this tax.

PDXCWL45
29th Oct 2018, 20:20
Disgrace that the regions outside London are forced to pay this tax.
It's a disgrace that certain parts of the UK get APD devolved while others are refused. The setup of APD is a disgrace.

inOban
30th Oct 2018, 09:56
Of course APD is a disgrace. It should be replaced by a fuel duty, but this is illegal under international law.

Startledgrapefruit
30th Oct 2018, 10:27
So will this make Ryanair throw the toys out of the pram ??
They were not happy about APD
i am sure one of the Killead Trinity will have the answer ?

GAZMO
31st Oct 2018, 16:49
Sept stats out from caa. Again good month

Rolling total for last 12 months 6,093,350

Some highlights
BHX +37%
EDI +25%
GLA +45%
MAN +66%

DVB +42%
BOD +71%
CDG +27%
FAO +22%
KRK +16%

True Blue
31st Oct 2018, 17:41
Went through airport today. Wonder what changes there will be tomorrow with new security contractors. Any changes? None?

GAZMO
2nd Nov 2018, 14:31
Looks like Ernest Airlines back for summer 19 with Topflight to Italian lakes. Saturday departures, 25 May to 14 September
VRN 10.55 arrive BFS 12.50
BFS 13.35 arrive VRN 17.50

mart901
6th Nov 2018, 10:19
Starbucks closes today for four weeks for refurbishment. That's a fairly large area to be brightened up. That along with the work Mount Charles are to do.

BFS BHD
7th Nov 2018, 14:56
One off flights to city's for shopping etc have been put on sale for 2019.

New - Cologne, Departs 6th December 2019 and Arrives Back 8th December 2019.

Vienna, Departs 29th November 2019 and Arrives Back 1st December 2019.

No New York or Prague bookable for 2019.

owenc
16th Nov 2018, 09:36
I see that Reykjavik is still running with EasyJet. Was this not ending?

i am glad to see that it is staying.

GAZMO
16th Nov 2018, 09:50
KEF was always winter seasonal, although I think it does start a few weeks earlier

It's only Me
16th Nov 2018, 16:50
I went to KEF with Easy in June. Didn’t think that was a winter month.

Me

GAZMO
20th Nov 2018, 17:41
Here we go again!!! I better turn up earlier this weekend for my flight!!
Surely the management at BFS must take the blame as this has being going on for months

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/staff-shortages-blamed-for-belfast-international-airport-security-delays-37548099.html

True Blue
20th Nov 2018, 18:03
Went through security today in a very few minutes

cuthere
20th Nov 2018, 18:07
True Blue. Glad to hear it. I’m not sure what your point is, however. Can you elaborate?

GAZMO
20th Nov 2018, 18:27
Interesting!! During the summer period June to early September I had six flights through BFS. Only on one occasion the journey from scanner to getting through security was long. 50mins, although the queue was moving. Last journey in early September less than 5 mins. Maybe I have been lucky

cuthere
20th Nov 2018, 18:31
Well, clearly there are bottlenecks when queues become unacceptable. I’ve been through several times in the last few months (more’s the pity), and have had anything from a few minutes to the best part of an hour to get through. It’s the utter inconsistency that catches people out.

True Blue
20th Nov 2018, 18:36
Cuthere. No point other than you only hear about the tales of woe. I have been through Bfs on numerous occasions this year and never experienced the stories that hit the press. Interesting that you never read about those who cleared security in seconds like my colleague today. I think part of the problem is huge peaks and troughs in demand.

cuthere
20th Nov 2018, 18:51
Of course you only hear of the tales of woe! Should the Bel Tel etc publish stories telling us all how an airport is functioning as an airport should? Or are you saying incompetence which causes people to miss flights shouldn’t be flagged up?

owenc
21st Nov 2018, 15:22
I haven’t experienced the security issues either, and I fly through twice a month. I think it may be the early flights I.e 8am.

It does seem odd though. It never takes any longer than 10 minutes for me to get through.

mart901
21st Nov 2018, 21:28
http://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/11/21/news/easyjet-profits-take-off---but-belfast-at-virtual-capacity-point--1489322/

BFS BHD
25th Nov 2018, 16:42
Thomas Cook has appeared to have added a 2nd weekly flight to Antalya on Sundays. Departs 13:55 and Arrives 00:55.

But Lanzarote also departs in the afternoon at 14:25 on Sundays. Is Antalya replacing Lanzarote on Sundays?

cuthere
25th Nov 2018, 19:48
I’m currently in the shambles that is BFS departures. Utter mess at gates 10-14. No staff. No direction. Nothing. This after QUEUING to get to the gate. BRS flight is.......delayed. Shock. Horror.

This airport is a dreadful, horrible advertisement for NI. I only wish I had the ongoing luck of some
posters on here. Shameful dump (yes. I am narked)

cuthere
25th Nov 2018, 21:40
Turns out a bunch of pax for LGW inadvertently boarded the BRS flight - that from the captain. Highlights the mess.

BFS BHD
27th Nov 2018, 01:56
Thomas Cook has appeared to have added a 2nd weekly flight to Antalya on Sundays. Departs 13:55 and Arrives 00:55.

But Lanzarote also departs in the afternoon at 14:25 on Sundays. Is Antalya replacing Lanzarote on Sundays?

To add to the extra Antalya flight on a Sunday there is also a second weekly flight to Enfidha appearing in the online timetable for Summer 2019 on a Saturday departing 05:00 and arriving 13:10 flight numbers (MT616/MT617). Palma also departs on a Saturday morning at 05:10.

So I wonder does that mean Antalya & Enfidha will replace Lanzarote & Palma or will there be a 2nd aircraft added or could they use another airline like Air Europa for Lanzarote and Palma.

GAZMO
27th Nov 2018, 15:59
October stats now published 6.1 million pax on 12 month rolling

West Brit
29th Nov 2018, 13:01
Just completed a drop off, and noticed a TCX 320 sitting at east end of terminal. TCX 321 out on Lanzarote duty. Must be a refuelling job?

Severn
2nd Dec 2018, 13:25
TCX - Summer 2019

As discussed, TCX have added a second weekly AYT and NBE. The schedule has been updated and show that these extra rotations will replace an ACE and PMI flights.

In 2019, there will be 14x weekly departures with the following changes from Summer 2018.
DLM x3 (+1 on 2018)
REU x3 (no change)
AYT x2 (+1 on 2018)
NBE x2 (+2 on 2018) *New route
TFS x2 (no change)
ACE x1 (-1 on 2018)
LCA x1 (-1 on 2018)
PMI - Route dropped (-2 on 2018)

NWSRG
2nd Dec 2018, 15:46
Does anyone have the VS and TCX schedules for Orlando yet? Are VS going twice weekly again through the peak season?

BFS BHD
2nd Dec 2018, 18:04
Thomas Cook:

Orlando - Flights depart 1st and 9th July and return two weeks later.

Cancun - Flights depart 2nd and 10th July and return two weeks later.

Virgin Atlantic:

Orlando - Weekly flights from Sunday 7th April to Sunday 25th August and a 2nd weekly flight from Saturday 22nd June to Saturday 13th July.

TCX - Summer 2019

As discussed, TCX have added a second weekly AYT and NBE. The schedule has been updated and show that these extra rotations will replace an ACE and PMI flights.

In 2019, there will be 14x weekly departures with the following changes from Summer 2018.
DLM x3 (+1 on 2018)
REU x3 (no change)
AYT x2 (+1 on 2018)
NBE x2 (+2 on 2018) *New route
TFS x2 (no change)
ACE x1 (-1 on 2018)
LCA x1 (-1 on 2018)
PMI - Route dropped (-2 on 2018

Wonder will Bodrum return for the S19 or S20 season?

owenc
2nd Dec 2018, 20:44
So a reduction in the Virgin Schedule then? Not good.

BFS Dude
4th Dec 2018, 02:42
Any new routes rumoured for EasyJet from BFS
I believe there is normally a announcement this month from EasyJet regarding new routes for Summer

GAZMO
12th Dec 2018, 05:21
Air Italy doing the TUI flights to Verona starting 25 May 2019 , source TUI.co.uk

BFS BHD
13th Dec 2018, 14:32
Looks like no new routes for S19 for EasyJet. Was Prague not meant to be a year round route?

mart901
13th Dec 2018, 14:56
Looks like no new routes for S19 for EasyJet. Was Prague not meant to be a year round route?

Hang fire with that one, from what I'm hearing.More to come.....

toledoashley
13th Dec 2018, 16:37
Last year they did a split announcement - I'm expecting the same this year. The launch today was very Spain/France focused.

BFS BHD
13th Dec 2018, 19:29

Ahh that's good to hear! :)

El Bunto
14th Dec 2018, 14:47
Pedantically and tangentially, I think you mean 'hold fire'.

A 'hang fire' is an unpleasant situation wherein you've pulled the trigger but the primer or powder of the round doesn't ignite immediately... so you're left with a firearm in a dangerous state.

stewyb
15th Dec 2018, 09:16

Heard 19th December for more EZY route announcements!

mart901
15th Dec 2018, 09:37
I'm hearing further expansion, LPA and a German route up against FR possibly

cuthere
15th Dec 2018, 09:56
Theyve has a change of heart?

EasyJet profits take off - but Belfast at 'virtual capacity point' - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/11/21/news/easyjet-profits-take-off---but-belfast-at-virtual-capacity-point--1489322/)

mart901
15th Dec 2018, 09:59
The interview Carolyn gave more or less said there's a wee bit more to come without saying so.

BFS BHD
15th Dec 2018, 10:06
Is there gaps for new routes? Or will there be another based aircraft? Is LPA a base?

mart901
15th Dec 2018, 11:00
Is there gaps for new routes? Or will there be another based aircraft? Is LPA a base?
Really know no more and only rumour stage when I heard it.

BFS BHD
15th Dec 2018, 11:20
Ahh hopefully we will hear more this week. Thanks for the information :)

West Brit
15th Dec 2018, 11:32
Theyve has a change of heart?

EasyJet profits take off - but Belfast at 'virtual capacity point' - The Irish News (http://www.irishnews.com/business/2018/11/21/news/easyjet-profits-take-off---but-belfast-at-virtual-capacity-point--1489322/)
The grammar on this thread is very poor!

cuthere
15th Dec 2018, 12:33
The grammar is fine. It was the spelling that went wrong. Though, I wouldn’t expect you to know the difference.

West Brit
15th Dec 2018, 13:02
The grammar is fine. It was the spelling that went wrong. Though, I wouldn’t expect you to know the difference.
You are the commentator who continually on this forum takes pleasure in pulling up people on their grammar, spelling & punctuation. I saw an opportunity to throw it back at you, not very nice is it? You suddenly realised how someone acting like that can come across as a pedantic bore? The point of this forum is our shared interest in civil aviation, not literacy or linguistics.

BFS_Dispatch
19th Dec 2018, 11:01
I’ve heard that KLM are looking to move to the city and talks are ongoing atm. KLM want either a 05:50, or a 05:55 departure, which BHD cannot give them. This is in order to provide their pax with early morning connections via AMS. Talks of a 737 being based, but the E170 seems more likely.

Also heard a rumour that HOP! also are expressing interest in both BFS and BHD about a daily, mid morning departure to CDG.

Also heard that HiFly have enquired with Swissport and BFS themselves about the possibility of TCX using their A380 next summer, perhaps in lieu of their 330 flights to LAS and MCO. Would be good to see, however with the taxiways at BFS being rather narrow in terms of other international airports, and the sheer size of the 380, I don’t think it will happen

cuthere
19th Dec 2018, 13:48
I’ve heard that KLM are looking to move to the city and talks are ongoing atm

They’re already at City. I agree that their inability to offer an early (ie before 6am) departure goes against their normal MO from other U.K. regionals. Would Hop! go up against EZY? Nice airline. Wouldn’t mind having them in NI.

Alteagod
19th Dec 2018, 14:46
KLM 737 would be a different operation as it's KLM mainline and the Emb is Klmcity hopper. Similar kind of difference between BA and BA Cityflyer.

True Blue
21st Dec 2018, 22:26
Great example of lazy work on the Bfs site tonight, a flight running almost 2 hours late described as "on time". Is there not a delayed button? https://www.belfastairport.com/images/airline-logo2.jpgPARISEZY672421:35ON TIME 23:19

GAZMO
22nd Dec 2018, 08:17
CAA stats out for November
6.2 million pax on 12 month rolling

BFS BHD
3rd Jan 2019, 20:10
Heard 19th December for more EZY route announcements!

Announcement been delayed? Any idea when it could be?

cuthere
3rd Jan 2019, 20:36
Maybe they’re waiting for this ongoing shambles to be dealt with?

https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1080906529820180480?s=21

BFS BHD
11th Jan 2019, 12:33
Appears Wizz Air is adding a Thursday flight to Vilnius for Summer 2019. Not sure if its replacing the Wednesday flights or they may be going three weekly to Vilnius.

BFS BHD
12th Jan 2019, 16:14
Appears Wizz Air is adding a Thursday flight to Vilnius for Summer 2019. Not sure if its replacing the Wednesday flights or they may be going three weekly to Vilnius.

Flight times for Thursday are:
BFS-VNO - 22:50-03:50
VNO-BFS - 21:00-22:15

Wednesday times:
BFS-VNO - 07:55-12:55
VNO-BFS - 06:10-07:25

Sunday times:
BFS-VNO - 21:50-02:50
VNO-BFS - 20:00-21:15

Wednesday flight may still be removed I guess hopefully not! Wonder will it be A320 or A321 operating as I see they have been using the A321 this winter.

GAZMO
13th Jan 2019, 05:31
Hopefully they will not cancel the Wednesday and is an extra flight for the summer

i have a Wednesday VNO to BFS booked in June and no emails regarding cancellation.....so far

GAZMO
13th Jan 2019, 17:22
Yet more drunken NI passengers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-46855432

Noxegon
13th Jan 2019, 20:56
Not good timings. Who wants to arrive at VNO at 03:50?

El Bunto
18th Jan 2019, 18:19
TUI B788 due early on Saturday morning for 11:55 to Bridgetown. Looking like G-TUIA at the moment.

Returns 3rd Feb

Edit: it was G-TUIF, first time visiting

GAZMO
19th Jan 2019, 07:12
Great to see.....pity we can’t get a few more.

currently the TUI Dreamliner is en route over Irish Sea

BFS BHD
22nd Jan 2019, 04:14
Hopefully they will not cancel the Wednesday and is an extra flight for the summer

i have a Wednesday VNO to BFS booked in June and no emails regarding cancellation.....so far

Looks like they have now removed the Wednesday flights.
Now Thursday and Sunday flights for Summer 2019 with the late departure times!

Startledgrapefruit
22nd Jan 2019, 16:00
I take it there is several feet of snow up there today ?

BFS BHD
22nd Jan 2019, 16:24
Manchester and Stansted being loaded for Winter 2019/2020

GAZMO
22nd Jan 2019, 16:57
Must be lots of snow or ice.

LGW flying in circles at the moment and indefinite delays on several flights.

From their twitter feed

Belfast Airport‏ @belfastairport 5m5 minutes ago

MoreUpdate 18:15 Our snow teams are continuing to clear snow from the runways and aprons and we are aiming to reopen shortly. Delays and disruption to flights can be expected because of this so please check with your airline for latest flight updates.

GAZMO
23rd Jan 2019, 15:06
CAA stats out for December

6,269,025 pax for the year....+7.4%

Refuellerman
27th Jan 2019, 17:46
Middle eastern conglomerate seen around terminal area today, apparently a major blow to DUB is on the cards, more news to follow.......

cuthere
27th Jan 2019, 17:59
Those canny Middle Eastern airlines. Upping sticks from the third busiest airport in these islands, thirteenth busiest in Europe, for the shed up the road which easyJet describes as “full”. Clever and cunning fellas. I bet Dublin airport’s in a real panic over it all

PPRuNeUser0176
27th Jan 2019, 20:11
Middle eastern conglomerate seen around terminal area today, apparently a major blow to DUB is on the cards, more news to follow.......

Heard Emirates plan a daily A380 to Dubai, will be a great achievement :)

Blakedean
27th Jan 2019, 20:49
Thanks for the laugh, I needed one :D

DC9_10
27th Jan 2019, 21:08
About as funny as the Flybe suits at Londonderry airport a few months ago.

cuthere
27th Jan 2019, 21:16
Like BFS, LDY isn’t in the actual city it serves. If Flybe were in Derry, then they missed the airport by seven miles. I think if you remind yourself of my incredulity at the time you will see that I agreed with you re: likeihood of BE starting at LDY. Should Emirates start up at an airport ninety miles from an airport they already serve, in a part of the world which has no coherent government, an uncertain socioeconomic and geopolitical future, from an airport that can’t support a New York route, then I will happily meet you at your beloved Aldergrove and buy you a pint (even paying the £5.50 they charge).

Now. The 1970s called. They miss you.

West Brit
27th Jan 2019, 21:30
A380, what an ugly brut of a flying machine. Looks like something a child would make out of lego.

True Blue
27th Jan 2019, 22:37
Qatar did say on their tweet announcing the start of the new Lgw route, that they intended adding Belfast this year. Whether it happens is a different matter.

El Bunto
28th Jan 2019, 05:42
Like BFS, LDY isn’t in the actual city it serves. If Flybe were in Derry, then they missed the airport by seven miles.

If you want to get pedantic then no-one actually flies to 'LDY', that's just an internal IATA code for ticketing and bag routing. You can't write that on a flight plan and you can't ask ATC for vectors to it. The approach plates say LONDONDERRY EGLINTON EGAE

Aren't technicalities fun?

Fly757X
28th Jan 2019, 06:48
If you want to get pedantic then no-one actually flies to 'LDY', that's just an internal IATA code for ticketing and bag routing. You can't write that on a flight plan and you can't ask ATC for vectors to it. The approach plates say LONDONDERRY EGLINTON EGAE

Aren't technicalities fun?

Ah but if you want to be super pedantic... The top line of most OFP layouts have the IATA indentifier and the next line has the ICAO identifier 😂

emma1
28th Jan 2019, 20:16
No stands for a A380:

Refuellerman
29th Jan 2019, 08:49
Like BFS, LDY isn’t in the actual city it serves. If Flybe were in Derry, then they missed the airport by seven miles. I think if you remind yourself of my incredulity at the time you will see that I agreed with you re: likeihood of BE starting at LDY. Should Emirates start up at an airport ninety miles from an airport they already serve, in a part of the world which has no coherent government, an uncertain socioeconomic and geopolitical future, from an airport that can’t support a New York route, then I will happily meet you at your beloved Aldergrove and buy you a pint (even paying the £5.50 they charge).

Now. The 1970s called. They miss you.
It wasnt GB and NI that had to beg to be bailed out some years ago sunshine, our government in westminister had to help bail the mighty celtic tiger out don't you remember, emirates had originally wanted BFS to happen before DUB, only that the state run airport came up with the begging money to buy them over, money that came from the begging pot i suppose🙄

West Brit
29th Jan 2019, 10:59
I have to say that the silence from BFS is deafening particularly in the last 6 months. Are they crippled financially? Are they working on a secret soon to be announced infrastructure project? I honestly thought that they would have announced an extension of the facility by now. Any new route announcement whatsoever will be overshadowed by questions like 'what are you going to do about the overcrowded facility? The often queue at security?......etc etc.They simply need to expand the facility.
Surely now is the time to construct a fully extendable east terminal at BFS.
I take it the A380 is sarcasm? At the very max I would have thought 777. A380 too big, 777 more elegant to have about the place.

Refuellerman
29th Jan 2019, 11:58
Runway is ok for tge a380 but taxiways too narrow, and at dub too

AOCMALL0W
29th Jan 2019, 13:38
It wasnt GB and NI that had to beg to be bailed out some years ago sunshine, our government in westminister had to help bail the mighty celtic tiger out don't you remember, emirates had originally wanted BFS to happen before DUB, only that the state run airport came up with the begging money to buy them over, money that came from the begging pot i suppose🙄

Actually, the UK received a bailout in 1976 from the IMF. So maybe brush up on your own history before using that kind of crap in support your bitterness towards the Republic and its success and might I add, the money received from the UK was used to bailout Ulster Bank and the Bank of Scotland so I fail to see your point. Besides, for DUB and BFS to actually be considered competitors, DUB would have to lose 20-something million passengers, a few dozen airlines, various links to the USA, Canada, China and the Middle East. Also, have your seen the facilities at BFS :yuk:, I am embarrassed that we share a tourism agency and welcome people to Ireland there. I'm sorry "mate" but DUB (and Ireland in general) is leagues ahead of that tin-shack outside Belfast and the non-entity of NI.

emma1
29th Jan 2019, 14:33
It wasnt GB and NI that had to beg to be bailed out some years ago sunshine, our government in westminister had to help bail the mighty celtic tiger out don't you remember, emirates had originally wanted BFS to happen before DUB, only that the state run airport came up with the begging money to buy them over, money that came from the begging pot i suppose��

total tosh . They have been to bfs and pulled the plug when they saw the state of the place , fact

Refuellerman
29th Jan 2019, 15:49
It wasnt GB and NI that had to beg to be bailed out some years ago sunshine, our government in westminister had to help bail the mighty celtic tiger out don't you remember, emirates had originally wanted BFS to happen before DUB, only that the state run airport came up with the begging money to buy them over, money that came from the begging pot i suppose��

total tosh . They have been to bfs and pulled the plug when they saw the state of the place , fact

total bollocks, they were here be4 yes, but nothing as serious as they are at the minute, get ure facts straight global

emma1
29th Jan 2019, 16:34
Why would they come here now . Ni is going to get nothing out of brexit mate

Refuellerman
29th Jan 2019, 16:53
Why would they come here now . Ni is going to get nothing out of brexit mate
nothing to do with brexit, emirates are not european anyhow

emma1
29th Jan 2019, 17:39
And where will the money come from to help the airport ? YOUR GOvernment?

PPRuNeUser0176
29th Jan 2019, 17:42
Taught the joke about EK was implied....

West Brit I agree A380 is a horrible aircraft to look at but not bad onboard.

Refuellerman
29th Jan 2019, 17:47
And where will the money come from to help the airport ? YOUR GOvernment?BIA isnt owned by the government so i can't see monies coming from them,

owenc
29th Jan 2019, 17:58
Actually, the UK received a bailout in 1976 from the IMF. So maybe brush up on your own history before using that kind of crap in support your bitterness towards the Republic and its success and might I add, the money received from the UK was used to bailout Ulster Bank and the Bank of Scotland so I fail to see your point. Besides, for DUB and BFS to actually be considered competitors, DUB would have to lose 20-something million passengers, a few dozen airlines, various links to the USA, Canada, China and the Middle East. Also, have your seen the facilities at BFS :yuk:, I am embarrassed that we share a tourism agency and welcome people to Ireland there. I'm sorry "mate" but DUB (and Ireland in general) is leagues ahead of that tin-shack outside Belfast and the non-entity of NI.

Northern Ireland is not a Non entity. Don’t go there.

People wouldn’t be bitter about your country if Leo Varadkar would have respect for the United Kingdom by calming down his rhetoric and stop trying to tell the UK what to do.

Not to mention, using Northern Ireland Peace process to blackmail the UK into shackling itself to the EU.

cuthere
29th Jan 2019, 18:19
Owen, your statement above proves that you should stick to complaining about the lack of business class seats from BFS.

emma1
29th Jan 2019, 20:07
Still got yer beard refilled man

Refuellerman
29th Jan 2019, 20:15
Still got yer beard refilled man
no i have a razor

EGAC is Better
29th Jan 2019, 20:22
So....to bring it back onto the topic of aviation. What are the major improvements on the way that would entice a full service airline to use BFS for
other Mickey Mouse shuttles?

Security is unacceptable. The lounge is tiny. The terminal is too small and bursting at the seams. The International pier is like something out of the dark ages and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I presume Qatar, Emirates et al would expect major improvements before subjecting their customers (some may be status holders with certain expectations, currently using Dublin) to endure the low cost experience of Aldergrove? Perhaps a separate security channel for international departures with a small airline lounge constructed on the roof of the international pier might be a short stop gap if a Gulf based carrier was to arrive.

Refuellerman
29th Jan 2019, 20:47
Last time i was at the airport it did seem a bit of a mess alright, contractors everywer, plus a reopening starbucks, hopefully an upward trend will start.

BFS BHD
30th Jan 2019, 16:48
So....to bring it back onto the topic of aviation. What are the major improvements on the way that would entice a full service airline to use BFS for
other Mickey Mouse shuttles?

Security is unacceptable. The lounge is tiny. The terminal is too small and bursting at the seams. The International pier is like something out of the dark ages and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I presume Qatar, Emirates et al would expect major improvements before subjecting their customers (some may be status holders with certain expectations, currently using Dublin) to endure the low cost experience of Aldergrove? Perhaps a separate security channel for international departures with a small airline lounge constructed on the roof of the international pier might be a short stop gap if a Gulf based carrier was to arrive.

Anyone know if they ever did start building two more security lanes?

BFS BHD
31st Jan 2019, 01:05
Stansted:
Looks like a 4th daily flight is being added from April on Wednesdays and Sundays.

RYR912 - BFS-STN - 16:25-17:50
RYR913 - STN-BFS - 18:15-19:30

BFS BHD
2nd Feb 2019, 16:05
Looks like Virgin Atlantic.will be using A330-200s and B747-400s for this year flights to Orlando. Few dates showing A332 and some showing B744.

owenc
2nd Feb 2019, 19:21
Extra flights?

BFS BHD
2nd Feb 2019, 19:46
Nope A332s replaces B744s on some flights. 7th April shows A332, around Easter time it is B744s and June, July and August. May seems to be A332s.

True Blue
2nd Feb 2019, 21:58
So a fight between two groups of passengers inside the terminal this afternoon!

owenc
3rd Feb 2019, 01:00
Not missing Northern Ireland..

panpanpanpan
4th Feb 2019, 18:27
I watched some footage of the fight on the local news tonight, in fairness this could have been anywhere. Sounded like some upstanding members of the local tarmacking community.

Any truth in the rumour the police would have been there earlier but couldn't get through security? Apparently their CS gas counted as liquid and they were carrying other offensive weapons. Heard this from a reliable security source, Mr A Jobsworth.

El Bunto
4th Feb 2019, 19:03
Looks like Virgin Atlantic.will be using A330-200s and B747-400s for this year flights to Orlando. Few dates showing A332 and some showing B744.

Per a Virgin source we're meant to get A350s at Belfast from 2020, perhaps they'll phase them in with the A330s covering the gaps.