View Full Version : BIRMINGHAM - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20]

BHX5DME
12th Jul 2017, 16:39
July should see 1.4m & July 1.5m if we keep at +16%, 2017 should land at 13.3m+

OltonPete
12th Jul 2017, 17:00
Following on from Glasgow, BHX now gone as well for winter although another site says full-stop.

Monday 30 October to Friday 23 March showing on some sites as the rest period.

United don't show it returning on 23 March and it seems it might be ending even earlier.

Off Stand
12th Jul 2017, 19:13
Following on from Glasgow, BHX now gone as well for winter although another site says full-stop.

Monday 30 October to Friday 23 March showing on some sites as the rest period.

United don't show it returning on 23 March and it seems it might be ending even earlier.

Ending 5th October, no return planned for now.

inOban
12th Jul 2017, 19:25
Glasgow isn't returning until may 5th.

chinapattern
13th Jul 2017, 09:02
Thomson are launching flights to Podgorica, x1 weekly from 16 May 2018. Will be great to finally see Montenegro on the departure boards.

Also Thomas Cook will be operating the 757-300 on Weds flights to Heraklion over the summer peak.

GayFriendly
13th Jul 2017, 17:23
Sad news indeed, a big nail in the coffin for long haul at BHX. I think EWR has been on borrowed time for a while and I can't foresee another scheduled transatlantic service for a long time. It's quite depressing, (but in the current climate not surprising) to think that in summer 2018 we will have just two weekly flights across the pond. With Norwegian also gone and rumours that Vueling could be, it's not looking as rosy for 2018 as it did last year for airlines at BHX. Personally I have my doubts about Icelandair, as they rely quite heavily on US connecting traffic. Perhaps the withdrawal of UA might boost their loads a bit? Qatar could also be another casualty due to the ever worsening political situation with its neighbours.

I think BHX needs to focus on its core markets and carriers, get on with much needed infrastructure upgrades to allow them to expand and leave the serious long haul to MAN. I think the best we can hope for long haul wise is a slow expansion of seasonal charter routes - I could see Cuba and perhaps Las Vegas as possibilities. Let's hope Goa and Phuket are a success this winter.

wingeel
13th Jul 2017, 19:21
Prior to the CO merger, UA were never very enthusiastic about UK regional airports. They briefly operated GLA-IAD roundabout 1990 but it was Continental who introduced most regional routes. Though UA did introduce new regional routes post-merger - Newcastle to Newark, Manchester to Washington and Edinburgh to Chicago - only the latter remains.

chinapattern
13th Jul 2017, 19:38
I can't foresee another scheduled transatlantic service for a long time.

Hmm, well you never know what BHX might have up their sleeves. 😉

kasuga
13th Jul 2017, 20:32
Gayfriendly you mentioned "With Norwegian also gone" have I missed something here ?

OltonPete
13th Jul 2017, 20:46
kasuga

No flights after the summer season ends. Nothing bookable next summer

Vueling - AGP, TFS & ALC all end regular service October leaving BCN & ORY.

Pete

inOban
13th Jul 2017, 21:08
Very few Norwegian flights have been loaded. From EDI only Stockholm and Copenhagen, no TA. Even winter flights to TFS were only loaded recently.

Guest 112233
13th Jul 2017, 21:23
We need to look at an index of economic benefit ???? to a region, associated with given routes.

How about a log based index system (if we include LHR in this context) of perceived economic benefit/loss to an economic catchment as a metric.

The loss of a transatlantic route to a region like the West Mids is far more dramatic economically than say the loss of say 4 routes designed for "Bucket & Spade" links designed for SLF like me where they are already served.

20 Years Service: Yep: a last gasp based PR Effort: sadly.

Now many "BHX supporters" used the service ? I used the AA 23/24 an average of a dozen times (Tourist Class) over 15 Years.

Lets look at the positive side:A peak time air-bridge slot freed up.

Less noise, less pollution locally and more room in the terminal; of course there's a loss on income to the airport/services providers and the economic utility of the facility is eroded, but every little helps more room for the hoy poly like me ! sadly.

Was this event why PK decided to errr opt for the door ?

CAT III

gilesdavies
14th Jul 2017, 04:13
I'm a little off the boil on Birmingham news, but very sad to see the Newark route ending, after 20+ years...

People are saying, it is not surprising news, how come?

In the time the Birmingham to Newark route has been going, we've seen recessions, credit crunches, 9/11, record fuel prices and competition on the route from other carriers, and CO/UA have always come out the other end maintaining the route in some form...

The economy is still very buoyant and with the US outside of Brexit, I struggle to see that as a cause. Also Birmingham had no competition on the route from low cost competition like Norwegian or Thomas Cook.

I remember back in the late 90's or early 00s the route was so successful, it was upgraded to the DC-10 and at another time operated twice daily on certain days, flying 10-11 times a week, with the 757's.

I wonder if Emirates could see this as an opportunity to fly something like NYC-BHX-DXB?!... Maybe exercise their fifth freedom rights and re-introduce the third daily Dubai frequency, while at the same time operating onwards to the USA with a stop in Brum, they do something similar out of Milan and there's been rumours of a similar UK service for years.

jon01
14th Jul 2017, 06:31
"We expect to be making an announcement shortly regarding another airline serving North America non-stop from Birmingham"

Direct flights to New York from Birmingham set to return - Birmingham Mail (http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/business/direct-flights-new-york-birmingham-13327945)

Logohu
14th Jul 2017, 06:46
"We expect to be making an announcement shortly regarding another airline serving North America non-stop from Birmingham"

The return of Bangladesh perhaps ? :)

In the time the Birmingham to Newark route has been going, we've seen recessions, credit crunches, 9/11, record fuel prices and competition on the route from other carriers, and CO/UA have always come out the other end maintaining the route in some form...

Maybe UA (and AA) have finally started to realize that better competition is now coming to the UK regions in the shape of Norwegian, Virgin, TCX and they need to either lift their game - which means spending a lot of money in newer aircraft and service improvements - or give it away and retreat to their main strongholds LHR, EDI and MAN. Seems like they've looked at the numbers and decided on the latter. I wouldn't be surprised to see them retreat even further in the medium term.

As Skipness pointed out it was Continental that originally established a game changing network of UK gateways in the days when they were prevented from serving LHR. UA have never really seemed quite as interested.

jon01
14th Jul 2017, 12:42
The times for the new Fly One Chisinau A320 service that starts this Saturday have changed:

14:20/15:10

owenc
14th Jul 2017, 15:21
I think UA is just LHR centric.

canberra97
14th Jul 2017, 16:28
UA might be focusing more on LHR which makes sense considering the current decline in the overall UK to USA market but to call them London Centric is a bit of a flippant statement. Although it's a shame that BHX will loose it's longstanding route to EWR United Airlines will consolidate their UK operations at LHR as well as operating from EDI and MAN covering the major UK markets.

To think that at one point or another United Airlines (Continental) had a very comprehensive network serving the whole of the UK regions.

In the same way that you describe United Airlines are Heathrow Centric the same could be said about American Airlines.

GayFriendly
15th Jul 2017, 14:25
Just watching the FlyOne to Chisinau boarding - I have counted around 100 passengers which isn't bad for a first flight. Couldn't see how many came off the inbound.

Must admit I thought this route had actually been cancelled. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts.

Galley FM at Monarch reporting they will start Zagreb next summer.

GayFriendly
15th Jul 2017, 21:50
According to a tweet from a pax on the flight, just 9 people on the inbound BA from Palma this eve. BA will be gone from BHX before anyone realised they were back....no wonder given their choice of routes and timings. Are the loads on their other routes as dire as this?

OltonPete
15th Jul 2017, 23:27
GF - Florence seems okay but the times at once weekly are so bad they defy logic.

I have the May route analysis and can attached as a Google sheet but is this secure as it sure doesn't look it. Otherwise I would have to re-format myself which is tedious.

I have it in a table format but I can't seem to post it easily without losing the format - any ideas?

Pete

111KAB
16th Jul 2017, 05:47
According to a tweet from a pax on the flight, just 9 people on the inbound BA from Palma this eve. BA will be gone from BHX before anyone realised they were back....no wonder given their choice of routes and timings. Are the loads on their other routes as dire as this?

Route (PMI) too late in coming to the market, agree timings abysmal. Outgoing - two weeks ago - had 21 on it and we were told to help ourselves to snacks/non alcoholic drinks from the rear galley. 48 minutes late leaving a very empty/very closed BHX to arrive at quite busy Palma just waking up to Sunday summer turmoil. Last minute booking for me at £29.

GrahamK
16th Jul 2017, 06:22

One of the outbound MAN flights (can't remember what destination) a week or so back had the huge load of 12 people on board.

eggc
16th Jul 2017, 07:28
12 were on the return leg to London City. Other routes doing not too bad.

chinapattern
16th Jul 2017, 07:47
Florence has been extended to run into November so BA must be happy enough with it's performance or they just don't have anything better for the aircraft to do. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when Jet2 start flying into Pisa as they'll be offering both higher frequencies and friendlier timings.

As for the other routes given the multiple options avaliable for Ibiza, Malaga an Palma I don't think a weekly E175 is going to be a huge loss if they don't return.

eggc
16th Jul 2017, 07:57
TBH these routes show little or no commitment to BHX, MAN, GLA etc by BA...they are just getting the EMBs in the air at weekend when they are doing nowt else. I doubt even if any of the weekend bases were a huge success they'd turn in to more than they are now !

ericlday
16th Jul 2017, 08:29
marko1....probably best post your request on 'Bristol' thread

THEWEASEL
16th Jul 2017, 20:44
Still obv no improvement behind the scenes: flew Vueling to BCN last week: incoming aircraft arrived a few minutes late, departed an hour late. Inbound flight landed on time, waited 15 minutes for an airbridge to be connected, and a further hour for the bags (from an A320, come on...!). According to the handling agent, 'the aircraft was moved to another stand before the bags were unloaded'. Found this very hard to believe given that (per FR24) the flight back to BCN left on time, so the bags must have been on the tarmac for a good half hour. Not good BHX, and not even at a busy time of day (no EK/QR flight on the ground for example)

Flying Wild
17th Jul 2017, 07:46
Not down to the airport but the handling agents. Given there is one which serves the majority of airlines operating at BHX, this isn't a rare occurrence for any of them.

Still obv no improvement behind the scenes: flew Vueling to BCN last week: incoming aircraft arrived a few minutes late, departed an hour late. Inbound flight landed on time, waited 15 minutes for an airbridge to be connected, and a further hour for the bags (from an A320, come on...!). According to the handling agent, 'the aircraft was moved to another stand before the bags were unloaded'. Found this very hard to believe given that (per FR24) the flight back to BCN left on time, so the bags must have been on the tarmac for a good half hour. Not good BHX, and not even at a busy time of day (no EK/QR flight on the ground for example)

LBIA
19th Jul 2017, 17:24
Jet2 have just announced a new route from Birmingham to Dalaman for summer 2018. Flights will operate 2x weekly every Monday & Fridays from May 4th. The Birmingham - Antalya route restarts a month earlier than planned on 30th March instead of late-April.

http://www.jet2.com/News/Turkey_capacity_almost_doubled_for_Summer_18/

BHX5DME
19th Jul 2017, 18:32
Dalaman just replaces Prague

jon01
19th Jul 2017, 20:54
Just seen a tweet from a reliable source reporting that an Icelandic owned airline is about to announce a BHX base with three transatlantic routes in 2018

This could be great news for the airport

CabinCrewe
19th Jul 2017, 20:57
Icelandic owned? ...Primera?
How odd.

sf01
19th Jul 2017, 21:41
Primera (with 2 based units) to YYZ,EWR & BOS according to twitter.

jon01
20th Jul 2017, 07:22
Flights are now bookable on the Primera Air website

New York departs BHX at 17:45

Type showing as an A321

Fares showing from £76 one way

eggc
20th Jul 2017, 07:52
I do wonder if AA and UA could not make it work with their multitude of onward connections then what chance does an unknown Icelandic airline stands ? BHX needs links to the US, but I'd have hoped a better known brand would have given it a shot. Primera need to invest heavily in advertising and keep prices low to establish themselves or they'll not last long and BHX back to square one. Sorry to be so negative, but as posted above...it's all a little odd...that said I hope it works.

They are also showing same flights from Stansted, which is in a similar position to BHX in TA ops, but Paris CDG also, where they will face the dozens of options from all the US carriers and Air France ! Either very bold or very stupid !

ATNotts
20th Jul 2017, 08:03
Flights are now bookable on the Primera Air website

New York departs BHX at 17:45

Type showing as an A321

Fares showing from £76 one way

3 x weekly BOS as well, from June. Nothing so far as I can see for Toronto.

It will be interesting to see how these routes perform, they've given themselves plenty of time to take bookings, so I would suggest BHX knew about the imminent loss of UA and were planning for it. It's just a shame Primera are such a poorly known name in the UK and USA, but I guess they will be getting some sort of deal on airport fees at the UK end, perhaps too in USA as well but to make the whole thing work they are going to need interline agreements for onward connections from EWR and BOS to make the whole thing work I think, and the late arrival time in EWR and BOS isn't going to make connecting that easy.

ara01jbb
20th Jul 2017, 09:18
I do wonder if AA and UA could not make it work with their multitude of onward connections then what chance does an unknown Icelandic airline stands ?

UA couldn't make the UK regional feeds to EWR work, in part, because they always priced them at a noticeable premium compared to LHR (and in the case of BFS, compared to DUB, even once the UK APD was factored in). Perhaps it was naïvety on UA's part; assuming UK consumers (like US?) would pay for a premium to fly direct from a local airport when many are happy to spend 3-4 hours on a train or coach to LHR/LGW and fly from there instead.

eggc
20th Jul 2017, 09:23
Maybe the case, their service offering was not great either. Still, the many many times we've used one of the US3 ex the regions most of the passengers connect - something Primera really need to look at, but again as mentioned their arrival time into the US mean most waves are missed, limiting connection opportunities anyway - an earlier depature time would help in that respect.

Connections aside, I still think NAX would have been a far more viable option - maybe they'll arrive eventually.

ATNotts
20th Jul 2017, 10:52
Maybe the case, their service offering was not great either. Still, the many many times we've used one of the US3 ex the regions most of the passengers connect - something Primera really need to look at, but again as mentioned their arrival time into the US mean most waves are missed, limiting connection opportunities anyway - an earlier depature time would help in that respect.

Connections aside, I still think NAX would have been a far more viable option - maybe they'll arrive eventually.

I disagree regarding NAX; they are using secondary airports, often a very good distance from the client's likely destination - NY or Boston. In that respect Primera are a better option.

I am guessing that when the YYZ route is released it will be operating 3 x weekly, on days opposing the BOS, allowing a day for maintenance and / or the cock-up factor.

LGS6753
20th Jul 2017, 10:58
Cheap transatlantic flights from Birmingham and Stansted to launch next summer (http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?c=setreg&region=2&m_id=s~T_mdT_Y!&w_id=33367&news_id=2028086)

Skipness One Echo
20th Jul 2017, 11:36
UA couldn't make the UK regional feeds to EWR work, in part, because they always priced them at a noticeable premium compared to LHR
In fairness Continental did well doing just that, but remember Continental didn't have access to LHR before 2008. Once they were in the door, there is an arguement to max out profitability on expensive LHR slots and feed the BRS/BHX traffic that way. Once United took over, an airline with no history in regional UK flying outwith a short lived GLA-IAD, the decision get's easier IMHO.

gilesdavies
20th Jul 2017, 11:48
Congratulation to BHX on grabbing the new route, it makes you wonder in UA already knew about this and hence the timing of the announcement of the pullout, especially if the route has been struggling for a while and were not willing to have margins stretched further.

I'm however cynical of all these Low Cost transatlantic routes popping up, especially this one from a relatively unheard of carriers here in the UK!

If you can find a great fare, by all means jump at the opportunity but I would pay the extra fee to book with a credit card and if things go wrong, you will at least get a refund from the card provider for the fare.

cheesebag
20th Jul 2017, 13:57
NEO aircraft, Wifi, etc... looks an interesting option.

ATNotts
21st Jul 2017, 05:39
Apologies for bringing Brexit into the thread but unless the UK government makes a sensible agreement with the EU over open skies the Primera operation could come to a sticky end in March 2019.

They must be fairly confident things will be OK in the end.

crewmeal
21st Jul 2017, 05:45
You may find that the aircraft could be on a British AOC operated with British crews to get round this.

SWBKCB
21st Jul 2017, 06:19
If we don't remain part of Open Skies, wouldn't we need to have negotiated our own deal with the Americans?

ATNotts
21st Jul 2017, 18:19
If we don't remain part of Open Skies, wouldn't we need to have negotiated our own deal with the Americans?

I would have thought so, and given The Donald's penchant for "America First" I doubt he'd be keen on giving a deal that allowed unfettered access to US markets, whether or not American carriers want to operate specific routes.

potash
23rd Jul 2017, 08:25
My daughter with 6 month old baby and husband landed in bhx about 12 am this morning from fue1.30 hours to clear customs, not bhx fault but getting beyond a joke.

jp

ATNotts
23rd Jul 2017, 09:31
My daughter with 6 month old baby and husband landed in bhx about 12 am this morning from fue1.30 hours to clear customs, not bhx fault but getting beyond a joke.

jp

Customs (HMRC responsibility) or Immigration, commonly referred to as "passport control" (responsibility of UK Border Agency)? Neither in the gift of Birmingham Airport Plc, or the airline or handling agent. From your posting I know you understand that.

I would suggest a note to your local MP highlighting the inadequacy of UKBA, who I would suspect are the culprits, but don't expect a positive answer. Daily Mail readers (who believe they run the country) and Telegraph readers (who probably do run the country) want it that way. I know that from experience as I complained about similarly totally unwarranted delays at Eurotunnel a few years ago.

inOban
23rd Jul 2017, 09:43
Who pays for HMRC/Border Agency personnel? The airport? The airlines? I hope it isn't the general taxpayer, in which case those who choose to fly abroad are being subsidised by those who don't.

SWBKCB
23rd Jul 2017, 09:48
I hope it isn't the general taxpayer, in which case those who choose to fly abroad are being subsidised by those who don't.

Get real - how many situations can you apply this to? Tax paying isn't a "pick and mix" choice.

Anyway, back to BHX.

chaps1954
23rd Jul 2017, 10:49
Of course it is the taxpayer. Border and Customs cover the whole country not just airports and infact airports are only a small part of their remit.

GLAEDI
23rd Jul 2017, 11:03
HMRC don't have a presence at any airport their ports function was merged with port function of UKBA (Immigration) this became Border Force. Border Force is the primary Law Enforcement agency in the areas of Immigration & Customs, they also support the Police in Counter Terrorism and areas of policing. They also carry out functions in many other areas for other government agencies like Defra & NCA. The UKBA was disbanded 8 years ago. They are funded by HM Government the same as all Police services. Like the Police they have had savage cuts to staffing i.e. 50% of their staffing because of austerity. Whilst the U.K. pax numbers are increasing the queues have to increase you can't make officers appear from thin air. Now if you want to blame anyone, their address is 10 Downing Str, London. This is before the explosion of Brexit, which will mean millions more passengers will need to be interviewed before entering the UK. As this is BHX thread, it's an unfortunate situation that BHX, GLA & EDI are suffering the most as the dept has prioritised its spending at LHR, LGW and Calais.

ATNotts
23rd Jul 2017, 12:29
s this is BHX thread, it's an unfortunate situation that BHX, GLA & EDI are suffering the most as the dept has prioritised its spending at LHR, LGW and Calais.

Spending prioritised in London and the Southeast - well who'd have thought it!!

inOban
23rd Jul 2017, 12:30
This is not as straightforward as it seems. After all, football clubs etc pay for the enhanced police presence in and around their stadia. It is at least arguable that if the air travel industry wants an enhanced presence 24/7 then they should pay for it. Remember that much ?most of the airline traffic is using non-uk airlines who don't pay UK taxes.

ATNotts
23rd Jul 2017, 12:50
Totally different, it's not the law that football clubs exist and that people are compelled to go to them.

The law is that you can't enter or leave the UK without a valid passport, and that the UK wishes to control 100% of arrivals at the border, therefore it is HM Government's responsibility to provide adequate coverage across the entire UK from general taxation. It is not the fault of the airlines or air travel industry that the UK is not in Schengen which if it were, would move the bottleneck forward to the airport baggage handling and reclaim systems which are at present shielded by the delays at UK Border.

inOban
23rd Jul 2017, 13:38
People aren't compelled to go on holiday abroad either. Not exactly the same, but there is a tendency to charge users for public services, just as benefits are 'targetted' at those felt to deserve them.

Rutan16
23rd Jul 2017, 13:47
ATNotts there are no regulations that you must carry a passport to leave the UK at all.
The UK does not currently operate any exit controls, cepting for juniors considered at risk of abduction usually by own parents and those the social services deem at risk of FGM typically traveling to certain African countries in the main (this may well change in the future - indeed the UK GOV have tried to implement exit controls/counting before however both cost and the illegality within the EU scuppered those plans dead)

Indeed legally you don't current need a passport to travel within the EU even outside of the schengan areas or between the CTA between Eire and the UK.
All you need is an officially recognised ID document.
For many that's simply their national ID card or even an EU style driving license.
Now by default and classically of UK beurocracy we haven't registered our driving licenses as EU recongised documents, and haven't even managed to offer an effective ID card system compliant with the EU regulation.
The last time UK GOV tried to create an ID card system it was cancelled on cost and after public outcry. So defacto the passport (With all its costs and voluntary nature bearing in mind the state can refuse issuance)becomes the only recognised UK document by default.

Airlines and airports choose to demand official ID to comply with DOT/CAA screening regulations only and to ensure its the same body checking in/collecting boarding card and clearing those Lovely long security checks (which are primarily there to control/deny restricted materials entering the airside environment) and that finally arrives at the departure gate with requisite boarding card in hand.

eggc
23rd Jul 2017, 14:36
Good point Oban, I don't go to school, or have kids at school...I am not contributing any longer towards Education. My house has never burnt down either, so the Fire service can run and jump too :rolleyes:

Keyvon
25th Jul 2017, 09:41
New for S18 is Pogdorica (Montenegro) once a week with TOM.

ATNotts
26th Jul 2017, 08:30
Just, out of curiosity, browsed the Primera website, and come across this page regarding fees and charges

https://primeraair.com/travel-info/fees/

Can they really be serious? £ 7.00 transaction fee 9well I suppose it's a transaction fee not per seat), £ 60.00 for a "Premium Beef Meal" (£30 for a "standard" beef meal) - crickey, I can spend £ 60.00 per person and get a really good 3 course meal in a half decent restaurant in Nottingham.

Their fares may be low, their add-ons are "Ryanairesque"!

You need to scroll down the page towards the bottom as the first tranche of fees are European services.

crewmeal
26th Jul 2017, 14:53
One wonders what the difference between a Premium and standard beef or fish meal is. Fillet of horse? by the time you've added the extras that are free with a legacy carrier you might as well use MAN or LHR. All it will cost extra is time.

ATNotts
26th Jul 2017, 15:10
Leaping to Primera's defence I have noticed from further research (I must be bored today!) that mid range fares showing on the .co.uk website do include a meal and bags, and buying those fares does appear to come out somewhat cheaper than taking the no frills fare, then adding the stuff you want - assuming you want to take a hold bag and have some sustenance during the flight.

I guess they're hoping people will click on the basic fare because it's cheap, then not realise they could do a better deal taking the higher fare with many of the add ons included. Perhaps not a bad business strategy, but I'm sure some consumer groups would whinge about it being underhand / unfair or whatever else.

AirGuru
26th Jul 2017, 15:42
That's exactly how airline psychology works.

Ryanair, Vueling, Easyjet and the likes have been doing it for years. The low basic fare brings punters in, ancillaries create the healthy profit and whether people book onto them unknowingly afterwards or just selecting the higher fare in the first place is each to their own.

ATNotts
26th Jul 2017, 15:48
Appreciate that, but it's one thing going without food for 3 or 4 hours, quite another for 8+ hours. Not chucking in some kind of snack (sandwich, cake or whatever with coffee, tea or soft drink) on long haul is a bit rich. Of course you can always take a mortgage on a curled up airport sandwich and bag of crisps!!

AirGuru
26th Jul 2017, 15:52
Now that is true.

However, they are low-cost so they've maintained their principles i guess. I'd imagine most people booking would go for the fare above the basic one.

Navpi
26th Jul 2017, 17:17
£20 for use of the oxygen
....if required! :)

Wolverhampton
26th Jul 2017, 19:26
As mentioned above, the .com site mentions lots of extra charges. The .co.uk site does not mention any extra charges. I have a feeling the .com site is for mainland Europe operations and .co.uk is for the UK.

canberra97
27th Jul 2017, 01:01
Appreciate that, but it's one thing going without food for 3 or 4 hours, quite another for 8+ hours. Not chucking in some kind of snack (sandwich, cake or whatever with coffee, tea or soft drink) on long haul is a bit rich. Of course you can always take a mortgage on a curled up airport sandwich and bag of crisps!!

You are aware of how Norwegian long haul works, it's the same as Primea as it is with a lot of airlines. You sound rather naive to how low cost carriers work, even a legacy carrier like British Airways have abondoned the second meal on long haul flights less than 8 hours as in a breakfast or meal prior to arrival.

Upgrades and ancillary costs make up for a lot extra revenue for low cost airlines whether they are long haul or short haul and giving away free food and drinks is not part of that policy, like it or not you buy your own food and drink onboard which most passengers accept when flying these days.

After all it's nothing new even Laker and People Express were doing this in the 1980's

Just to add, have you tried Pret A Manger? Baguettes from £4.50 and you don't need a mortgage for that price and they are definitely not curled up!

crewmeal
27th Jul 2017, 06:05
After all it's nothing new even Laker and People Express were doing this in the 1980's

And look what happened to them. They didn't stay in the market for long. Now there are grumblings elsewhere on this forum about Norwegian's finances. It also seems their introduction to smaller airports in the US with the 737 is a total shambles with cancellations all over the show. Additionally especially during the summer months there doesn't seem to be much difference in fare structure between low cost and legacy carriers. I know which I would opt for. However I wish Premier the best of luck and certainly hope they do a better job than Norwegian are doing at the moment. I also hope their choice of aircraft will prove successful as the 320neo is certainly having a lot of teethining troubles so much so QR have cancelled their options on future orders.

canberra97
27th Jul 2017, 07:00
I was just quoting the fact about Laker and People Express were doing the same many years ago not how those particular airlines ended up which to be honest I can imagine Norwegian will go down the very same path as they both did in forseable future.

FQTLSteve
27th Jul 2017, 07:11
Does anyone know about Swissport staff problems at BHX? Was on ZB971 AGP-BHX yesterday. One hour late arriving and departing the Captain apologised blaming their handling agents not being able to load the bags on time due to staff issues. Then on arrival at BHX had to wait for an agent to wave us on to the remote stand. Another 5 minutes before anyone arrived to bring the steps, one set only, and took a long time to raise the height! Seems like only one bus which shuttled back and forth. A 45 minute wait for the first bags. There were announcements and displays regarding staff issues but no explanation and it appeared many flights were similarly affected. What's going on?

toledoashley
27th Jul 2017, 07:49
I think this situation with Norwegian is being over hyped. The had issues when launching long haul to start with (which had its own backlash), but that has been largely rectified with a larger fleet. Launching something as different as flying 737's transatlantic hasn't been done with scale - and plus the delays of the MAX's hasn't helped matters.

compton3bravo
27th Jul 2017, 17:38
It is more financial toledoashley. Also the boss has decided to go into the leasing business thinking he could make a quick buck, but now he has some aircraft on his books and nobody wants to lease them, so it his costing him a packet to park them up.

OltonPete
27th Jul 2017, 20:17
At least Flybe are trying to help BHX's predicament of lack of resources - summer 2018 indicates 2 fewer aircraft and 6 flights a day less.

Berlin (shock) and Milan (shock) showing as just daily and Toulouse not bookable. Amsterdam is up to 7 daily 6 by 175.

Early days and I am sure some changes to come but 12 aircraft is probably the best that BHX can expect.

Pete

AirGuru
27th Jul 2017, 20:21
Guessing the E195's are off then ?

crewmeal
28th Jul 2017, 08:22
I didn't know there were flights to SFO from BHX.

Another user Steve Comar wrote: “Birmingham airport need to improve their SLA's. Shortage of baggage staff means not a single bag gets loaded on flight to San Francisco.”

Here's the rest of the story.

Birmingham Airport suffers chaos with long delays and lost luggage | Travel News | Travel | Express.co.uk (http://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/833877/birmingham-airport-delays-luggage)

EI-A330-300
29th Jul 2017, 02:16
Shame to see them go, was talking to a person this week who when from NY to London last month.

United from EWR-BHX-DUB $500 (return), they then flew with BA back to LHR. Flying direct EWR-BHX would of cost them $850 (return) for the same flight/dates.

An extra 6-7 hours flying/connecting to save maybe $250.

Strip the taxes, charges, op costs and Aer Lingus cut from that $500 you UA will have little spare change and if this was repeated by a high volume of passengers losses would mount. Given SN, LH, LX, EI etc all code share with UA it could be a common passenger trend.

EI-BUD
29th Jul 2017, 02:35
EI-A330-300,

The key difference between a BHX/EWR and a DUB/EWR for UA will be the demand for business class. That certainly will tip the scale and determine the attractiveness of a market and sadly for BHX/BFS/EDI etc. this is their challenge. These markets will be more leisure orientated and potentially more attractive to Norwegian et al.

FQTLSteve
29th Jul 2017, 09:47
A lot of delayed flight departures this morning....Swissport problems again???

FQTLSteve
30th Jul 2017, 10:22
Does anyone know what the staff issues are at Swissport? A notice on BHX's site warns of delays but only refers to Swissport staff issues and how they are providing full support and that passengers should raise any complaints with their airline. Have they not employed enough staff?

bhx bod
30th Jul 2017, 11:40
An unusually high number of staff sickness mixed with others being on annual leave seems to be the main problem.It is an unfortunate but regular occurrence at a lot of airport companies throughout the country at this time of year.
As far as BHX is concerned it is made worse by the troubles of the baggage handling system and border control issues.
I have over 20 years service at BHX and I have to say this is one of the worst summers I have witnessed for delays at check in,security and baggage reclaim.
I just hope the powers that be can sort it out,otherwise we could lose more passengers than gain in the next few years.

nwoody2001
30th Jul 2017, 18:10
It is my understanding that between 20-30 members of staff called in sick on thursday which I believe represented something like 25-35% of the workforce.

Now either there is a bug going round, Swissport are working staff to the bone, or it constituted some form of unofficial protest action, who knows (I suspect all play their part).

Eitherway it shows the scale of the problem facing BHX.

When is the new baggage system going to be up and running????

FRatSTN
30th Jul 2017, 19:08
... or maybe the fact that the summer holidays have just begun may have something to do with it? Not an unusual time for staff just about anywhere to pull a sickie :yuk:

caaardiff
30th Jul 2017, 19:31
... or maybe the fact that the summer holidays have just begun may have something to do with it?

With full flights and exceptionally high amount of checked in bags it stretches resources.
I don't think Swissport are alone, having worked around the patch many companies in a lot of Airports have struggled with recruitment this year.
Also don't forget Swissport took on a lot of business after Aviator. From what I hear they didn't have much choice in the matter being the only other handler!

Flying Wild
30th Jul 2017, 19:37
It is my understanding that between 20-30 members of staff called in sick on thursday which I believe represented something like 25-35% of the workforce.

Now either there is a bug going round, Swissport are working staff to the bone, or it constituted some form of unofficial protest action, who knows (I suspect all play their part).

Or Jaguar Landrover were having an open day for hiring...

OltonPete
31st Jul 2017, 08:47
Sunday there were 2-3 staff on Monarch check-in so 45 minutes coupled with the queue to security equals no time for shopping so BHX lost out big time and I am sure management will want to rectify this as soon as possible.

Security was excellent all lanes open and staff really helpful and pleasant despite the incessant waves of passengers.

Flybe - summer 18 is 5 x 175 no 195 and 6 dash I think.

Pete

ZULUBOY
31st Jul 2017, 13:14
A genuine question. What can BHX do here given how this is reflecting so badly on the airport?

SWBKCB
31st Jul 2017, 16:20
Other than encouraging other handling companies to set up, not a lot (assuming a good talking to doesn't work).

The problem is airlines have screwed down costs so much there's not much left for staffing....

Not a new phenomena, but certainly got a lot worse recently. :*

inOban
31st Jul 2017, 23:21
Am I right in assuming that most of these jobs are at or near minimum wage? And have been filled in the past by East European migrants? If BHX is like here, fewer are coming because the fall in the value of the £ after the referendum, and the more rapid growth of the eurozone economies v the UK, has meant that they can earn better money elsewhere.

Suzeman
1st Aug 2017, 08:19
Am I right in assuming that most of these jobs are at or near minimum wage? And have been filled in the past by East European migrants? If BHX is like here, fewer are coming because the fall in the value of the £ after the referendum, and the more rapid growth of the eurozone economies v the UK, has meant that they can earn better money elsewhere.

My experience, which is now a few years old is that the jobs are at or near the minimum wage at most airports as the airlines screw the handling costs down so everyone can enjoy cheap flights. The shift patterns are rubbish as well; very early starts, late finishes and split shifts during the day when people have an unpaid break of a few hours during the day, but often it's not worth going home.

You can earn just about as much working at any big retail operation and the shift patterns are better, so there often is a big turn over of staff at the airport and often little incentive to do more than the minimum. In amongst this of course, there are people who try their best.

The race to the bottom continues and what is happening today will be seen as the norm tomorrow. Flying used to be a generally pleasant experience for older generations who are now becoming increasingly fed up with the hassle. Younger generations don't know any better and see these delays and hassle as part and parcel of travelling by air today.

southside bobby
1st Aug 2017, 11:09
^ ^ ^....elegant.....

crewmeal
1st Aug 2017, 11:22
The race to the bottom continues and what is happening today will be seen as the norm tomorrow. Flying used to be a generally pleasant experience for older generations who are now becoming increasingly fed up with the hassle. Younger generations don't know any better and see these delays and hassle as part and parcel of travelling by air today.

Never a truer word spoken, well said.

LTNman
1st Aug 2017, 21:56
Swissport suffer from high staff turnover rates. Much of it is down to poor wage rates but also the wear and tear of baggage handlers bodies so it is not a long term career option for many members of staff.

ATNotts
2nd Aug 2017, 06:44
Swissport suffer from high staff turnover rates. Much of it is down to poor wage rates but also the wear and tear of baggage handlers bodies so it is not a long term career option for many members of staff.

Strikes me as an outsider that the whole industry and it's attitudes towards staffing, customer service and payment of reasonable fees to provide same is in need of a total overhaul, as unless something is done the race to the bottom will continue unchecked, to a point where the issue will stop being inconvenience and irritation and become one of health safety, in it's broadest sense, and ultimately people will give up flying.

If HM Government could do one thing, post Brexit, it would be to permit airport operators to set up their own in house handling operations, to ensure monopoly situations such as those at Swissport BHX cannot be repeated here, or elsewhere.

LTNman
2nd Aug 2017, 10:57
They would also outsource their own operation to cut costs so they would be no better than any other company.

Habana2118
2nd Aug 2017, 15:08
I just don't get why an airport the size of BHX isn't an attractive station for Menzies or Dnata to set up operations (again)

HarrytheDog
2nd Aug 2017, 20:17
Dont be fooled in to thinking it is just a BHX issue...many other airports in similar position, as said above the airlines screw down the costs on contracts to pennies yet expect so much, ground handling, cleaning, PRM all getting walloped this year.

RealFish
8th Aug 2017, 09:13

I see that the four BA destinations; Florence, Palma, Malaga and Ibiza are on sale again for Summer 18. Similar timing and prices as this year.

canberra97
8th Aug 2017, 14:41
Parma is in Italy, with out confusing anyone I think you mean Palma as in Majorca, Spain.

Lon12
8th Aug 2017, 15:05
Parma is in Italy, with out confusing anyone I think you mean Palma as in Majorca, Spain.

And La Palma is in Canarias

RealFish
8th Aug 2017, 16:34

That's silly. I did. Corrected, thanks.

roverman
8th Aug 2017, 17:49
Strikes me as an outsider that the whole industry and it's attitudes towards staffing, customer service and payment of reasonable fees to provide same is in need of a total overhaul, as unless something is done the race to the bottom will continue unchecked, to a point where the issue will stop being inconvenience and irritation and become one of health safety, in it's broadest sense, and ultimately people will give up flying.

If HM Government could do one thing, post Brexit, it would be to permit airport operators to set up their own in house handling operations, to ensure monopoly situations such as those at Swissport BHX cannot be repeated here, or elsewhere.

There's no reason why that can't happen today under the EU Directive. MAN had its own in-house ground handler Ringway Handling Ltd until 2008-ish, running in competition with mainstream providers. MAG closed down the operation when their attempts to keep out of the race to the bottom could not be sustained at the prices the airlines would pay. Monopolies needn't always be bad if they are kept accountable and with a transparent charging structure.

PAXboy
9th Aug 2017, 11:36
The fault lines of outsourcing and cut backs and changes in management (and others) have appeared in the NHS. That system is broken and only limps along because enough human beings make it happen every day.

In my view, some airports and airlines are approaching the same point.

jon01
10th Aug 2017, 17:19
The times for the new Fly One Chisinau A320 service that starts this Saturday have changed:

14:20/15:10

The Fly One service is ending on 2nd September 2017 and is probably not returning for now

This is a shame as the loads have been good, maybe one for Wizz Air to look at...

ATNotts
10th Aug 2017, 19:34
The Fly One service is ending on 2nd September 2017 and is probably not returning for now

This is a shame as the loads have been good, maybe one for Wizz Air to look at...

I'd like to say I'm surprised at this news; but I can't. Always thought it was a strange one.

Fried_Chicken
14th Aug 2017, 11:31
There seems to be a security staff shortage in the Elmdon building over the past few days with private jets having to taxy across to the terminal to clear security, the crews don't seem to be too impressed with the situation.

FC

FQTLSteve
14th Aug 2017, 13:01
Looks like Hainan are opening new services to Dublin and Edinburgh. What has happened to the Chinese interest in BHX, after two years of charters following the opening of the runway extension? It seems to be going anywhere but at the moment.

BDS10
14th Aug 2017, 14:41
Looks like Hainan are opening new services to Dublin and Edinburgh. What has happened to the Chinese interest in BHX, after two years of charters following the opening of the runway extension? It seems to be going anywhere but at the moment.

Scuppered by George Osborne! Remember?

tubby linton
14th Aug 2017, 16:32
Are Jet2 doing their own handling at BHX? They certainly brought a lot of their own branded kit when they moved in. I was wondering if they are, how they are doing with staff retention as the other agent seems to be having the same problems that Aviator had.

BHX5DME
15th Aug 2017, 12:02
Passenger figures for July show that BirminghamAirport has seen its busiest month on record.
Over 1.4 million people travelledthrough the terminal – giving a 17.6% growth rate year on year.
In total 1,437,528 passengers flewthrough Birmingham – over 215,000 more than the same month in 2016.
Short haul traffic saw the mostsignificant rate of growth with an increase of 19.3% year on year whereas longhaul services saw a 3.3% increase.
Jo Lloyd, Commercial Director atBirmingham Airport, said: “Everymonth we are seeing significant passenger growth and July is no exception beingin the peak of the school summer holiday season.
“This has given us our twenty ninthconsecutive month of record breaking growth and our forth million passengermonth this year.”
Scheduled traffic accounted for 89 percent of the total, with charter passengers making up the remaining eleven percent.
Scheduled traffic overall grew by 20.5per cent, with significant year-on-year growth to Sofia (+225.8%), Ibiza(+132.3%), Rhodes (+112.3%), Paphos (+81%), Bucharest (+74.1%) and Faro (+72%).
Charter traffic saw expansion onservices to Montego Bay (+298.6%), Punta Cana (+79.9%), Malaga (+75.5%) andAntalya (+53.7%).

Flying Wild
15th Aug 2017, 15:45
Are Jet2 doing their own handling at BHX? They certainly brought a lot of their own branded kit when they moved in. I was wondering if they are, how they are doing with staff retention as the other agent seems to be having the same problems that Aviator had.

All airside handling done by Swissport.

ssflyer
15th Aug 2017, 21:48
In my experience of (only) two flights the Jet2 check-in/boarding staff at BHX are really motivated and cheerful-unlike some others...
And I would say the same of their FA's
SS
Will certainly chose to fly with them next year,as against FR

jon01
16th Aug 2017, 06:19
Eurowings showing new A319 flights to Berlin-Tegel in Dec 17 and Jan 18 on Fri and Sun only. Looks like just a Christmas Market run for now

potash
17th Aug 2017, 13:02
i had to collect the outlaws last Friday pm so after they had landed i took a steady drive and pulled in 30 min free stay. when they rang to say they were out i got my£1 coin ready to pay at drop of hmm it is £2 now so it actually costs more than before bit of a con as the old folk would not make it walking up to 30 minute free park.
potash

Hotel Tango
17th Aug 2017, 14:41
Next time tell them to take the Air-Rail link to the station and pick them up there. Same with drop off. No hassle.

BobBHX
21st Aug 2017, 10:42
I was on last Friday's LH953 to FRA with a scheduled pushback of 08:50. The inbound was on time yet, as usual, the ground handling people seem incapable of turning round a plane in the allotted time.

We started boarding as soon as the cleaners were finished at 08:37 and passengers were still coming on board at pushback time. The captain then announced that we had missed our slot because the ground handlers had failed to provide a tug in time. As a result we did not push back until 09:44, a delay of 54 minutes.

Before anyone flames me and says that ground handlers are wonderful, hard working people, I know that many of them are. However, Swissport seem to be taking a couldn't care less attitude due to their monopoly and not only were passengers on my flight inconvenienced (missed connections etc) but many others were as well. The same aircraft operated the 954 and 955 to and from BHX resulting in a 3hr 35min delay in departure of the 955.

Hotel Tango
21st Aug 2017, 10:50
BobBHX, I have had a number of frustrating issues with Swissport handling at BHX in the past 6 months. They are certainly NOT a model of efficiency, that's for sure. I'm also quite sure that the staff do their best and are not to blame. Comes down to the usual managerial cost cutting and the consequent lack of resources.

ATNotts
21st Aug 2017, 12:31
The same aircraft operated the 954 and 955 to and from BHX resulting in a 3hr 35min delay in departure of the 955.

My maths suggest to me that BHX isn't the only airport suffering delays from congestion, inefficiency or whatever else since the aircraft had picked up nearly 3 hours extra delays during the day.

BobBHX
21st Aug 2017, 15:43
My maths suggest to me that BHX isn't the only airport suffering delays from congestion, inefficiency or whatever else since the aircraft had picked up nearly 3 hours extra delays during the day.

Actually, looking at the stats on FR24, it was BHX that caused most of the additional delays (admittedly, I have no idea of the reason for the delay to LH955 although there was some heavy rain in FRA late afternoon on Friday which may have caused delays). Note that the FR24 times are takeoff and touchdown times, not block times.

The flight I was on (953) landed on 25R at 12:09. That was followed by the usual 15 min taxi via Oz, Narnia and all points East, to the remote stand to the east of T2. It arrived on stand at 12:24 and took off again at 13:36, arriving into BHX at 13:54. For some reason it then sat around for 3hrs 11mins before leaving on the (very delayed) 955 at 17:05 instead of 13:30.

Clearly a delay of that magnitude cannot be totally (or perhaps even at all) down to ground handling but my basic issues about slow turnarounds and poor attitude of Swissport remain.

BHX2FRA
21st Aug 2017, 17:43
Actually, looking at the stats on FR24, it was BHX that caused most of the additional delays (admittedly, I have no idea of the reason for the delay to LH955 although there was some heavy rain in FRA late afternoon on Friday which may have caused delays). Note that the FR24 times are takeoff and touchdown times, not block times.

The flight I was on (953) landed on 25R at 12:09. That was followed by the usual 15 min taxi via Oz, Narnia and all points East, to the remote stand to the east of T2. It arrived on stand at 12:24 and took off again at 13:36, arriving into BHX at 13:54. For some reason it then sat around for 3hrs 11mins before leaving on the (very delayed) 955 at 17:05 instead of 13:30.

Clearly a delay of that magnitude cannot be totally (or perhaps even at all) down to ground handling but my basic issues about slow turnarounds and poor attitude of Swissport remain.

Not ground handling. I boarded a plane to Crete well in time for the scheduled departure at 1430. The captain then informed passengers that southbound flights from Birmingham were suspended due to adverse weather causing ATC delays in the south. Flights started to leave around 1545 but with a long queue - we were 17th in the queue at one point - we did not get away until around 1610. Flightstats shows delays to almost every flight around that time. Captain also suggested there had been some inbound diversions that were originally heading for Manchester.

BobBHX
22nd Aug 2017, 07:39
Not ground handling. I boarded a plane to Crete well in time for the scheduled departure at 1430. The captain then informed passengers that southbound flights from Birmingham were suspended due to adverse weather causing ATC delays in the south. Flights started to leave around 1545 but with a long queue - we were 17th in the queue at one point - we did not get away until around 1610. Flightstats shows delays to almost every flight around that time. Captain also suggested there had been some inbound diversions that were originally heading for Manchester.

Thanks for the info. I suspected it had to be weather. However, if Swissport had bothered to send a tug in time for the LH953 then the 955 could have got out of BHX at its scheduled time of 13:30.

OltonPete
9th Sep 2017, 20:01
July STATS out as expected some very big increases with the odd disappointing ones such as Qatar which was down as expected due to fewer flights but still averaged just under 200 per flight.

On the bright side Turkish was up 4% on fewer flights, Emirates was up 8% at 70117 but only 76260 seats available in July 18.

Air India was up significantly as well.

Ryanair

All summer 2017 routes have been released for summer 18 at a very similar frequency.

Wizz - All 6 routes now released for summer 18 and again similar frequency to 2017.

Flybe - winter 17/18 has been updated and certainly greater aircraft utilisation with 10 based which is quite a few less than this summer. The strangest change is the DUS which has a first outbound operated by the inbound DUS based aircraft but summer 18 it reverts back to BHX based and on a jet.

Brussels Airlines As scheduled the 319 is now a regular on at least two of the four weekday flights.

Pete

Guest 112233
9th Sep 2017, 20:11
July STATS out as expected some very big increases with the odd disappointing ones such as Qatar which was down as expected due to fewer flights but still averaged just under 200 per flight.

On the bright side Turkish was up 4% on fewer flights, Emirates was up 8% at 70117 but only 76260 seats available in July 18.

Air India was up significantly as well.

Ryanair

All summer 2017 routes have been released for summer 18 at a very similar frequency.

Wizz - All 6 routes now released for summer 18 and again similar frequency to 2017.

Flybe - winter 17/18 has been updated and certainly greater aircraft utilisation with 10 based which is quite a few less than this summer. The strangest change is the DUS which has a first outbound operated by the inbound DUS based aircraft but summer 18 it reverts back to BHX based and on a jet.

Brussels Airlines As scheduled the 319 is now a regular on at least two of the four weekday flights.

Pete

Brussels passenger figures have steadily increased over the last six months or so, is there a long term change in traffic usage happening ? - I've not looked at the figures yet .

Welcome back by the way.

CAT III

BHX5DME
9th Sep 2017, 22:11
Brussels down 8% in July !

One of only a few negative routes

DUBLIN 73,731 up 3.082795 %
DUBAI 70,117 up 8.389241 %
PALMA DE MALLORCA 68,990 up 12.86154 %
AMSTERDAM 60,391 up 6.254838 %
MALAGA 59,714 up 33.76792 %
ALICANTE 54,401 up 42.30296 %
FARO 44,214 up 58.67217 %
TENERIFE (SURREINA SOFIA) 40,959 up 10.88281 %
BARCELONA 37,077 up 4.710667 %
PARIS (CHARLES DE GAULLE) 33,898 down -1.11435 %
IBIZA 30,805 up 55.52582 %
FRANKFURT MAIN 28,080 down -9.44857 %
ARRECIFE 27,699 up 38.64751 %
DALAMAN 25,636 up 22.44352 %
DUSSELDORF 23,459 up 18.29459 %
LAS PALMAS 21,499 up 30.00544 %
LARNACA 20,797 up 24.92191 %
MUNICH 18,703 up 2.504659 %
FUERTEVENTURA 18,353 up 28.82915 %
MAHON 16,374 up 33.18692 %
PAPHOS 15,386 up 37.10569 %
MADRID 15,032 down -16.863 %
HERAKLION 14,544 up 31.20433 %
ISTANBUL 14,044 up 4.083599 %
RHODES 13,130 up 40.66852 %
CORFU 12,685 down -5.23682 %
ZAKINTHOS 12,263 down -13.458 %
DOHA HAMAD 12,263 down -17.4042 %
GIRONA 12,119 up 211.0626 %
BRUSSELS 11,561 down -7.91716 %
ROME (FIUMICINO) 10,458 up 9.726157 %
ANTALYA 9,729 up 24.95505 %
REUS 9,650 up 175.7931 %
MILAN (MALPENSA) 9,493 up 1.768868 %
SOFIA 9,323 up 225.7512 %
ZURICH 8,711 up 8.184302 %
MALTA 8,509 up 42.1246 %
DUBROVNIK 8,388 up 33.18514 %
NEW YORK (NEWARK) 8,096 up 5.567871 %
PARIS (ORLY) 7,834 n/a 0 %
PRAGUE 7,704 up 41.17647 %
BERLIN (TEGEL) 7,647 up 8.283772 %
VENICE 7,644 down -10.3448 %
BURGAS 7,540 up 12.67185 %
NAPLES 7,214 up 101.4521 %
KOS 7,169 down -2.34301 %
CORK 6,995 down -2.37265 %
STUTTGART 6,978 down -11.8494 %
VERONA VILLAFRANCA 6,913 down -2.93457 %
DELHI 6,781 up 5.409607 %
OPORTO (PORTUGAL) 6,771 n/a 0 %
KEFALLINIA 6,635 up 11.04603 %
MURCIA SAN JAVIER 6,343 up 4.808328 %
COPENHAGEN 6,169 up 2.902419 %
ISLAMABAD 6,163 down -19.5116 %
AMRITSAR 6,109 up 34.88629 %
LISBON 5,848 up 14.5095 %
FUNCHAL 5,412 up 18.16594 %
PUNTA CANA 5,349 up 79.91927 %
GIBRALTAR 5,266 up 15.28021 %
CANCUN 5,219 up 61.52894 %
WARSAW (CHOPIN) 4,928 up 16.11687 %
LYON 4,701 up 1.183814 %
BUDAPEST 4,638 up 8.288583 %
BYDGOSZCZ 4,606 up 0.589648 %
BRATISLAVA 4,577 up 0.92613 %
VIENNA 4,515 n/a 0 %
WARSAW (MODLIN MASOVIA) 4,457 n/a 0 %
BUCHAREST (OTOPENI) 4,394 up 51.93638 %
CHANIA 4,265 up 209.2821 %
STOCKHOLM (ARLANDA) 4,256 n/a 0 %
TOULOUSE (BLAGNAC) 4,119 n/a 0 %
BORDEAUX 4,058 down -0.12306 %
IRELAND WEST(KNOCK) 3,686 up 28.43206 %
SHANNON 3,583 up 18.87857 %
HANOVER 3,512 down -6.8435 %
SKIATHOS 3,426 down -0.63805 %
ASHKHABAD 3,423 up 34.18267 %
ALMERIA 3,408 up 2.311618 %
NICE 3,322 down -38.3788 %
KRAKOW 3,276 up 2.792595 %
GDANSK 3,228 up 1.286476 %
KATOWICE 3,211 up 0.532248 %
PULA 3,116 up 1.135995 %
BERGERAC 3,100 down -15.6463 %
SPLIT 3,065 n/a 0 %
PERPIGNAN 2,987 up 8.697234 %
WROCLAW 2,965 up 2.879944 %
VALENCIA 2,946 n/a 0 %
MONTEGO BAY 2,942 up 412.5436 %
POZNAN 2,882 down -5.44619 %
ATHENS 2,799 down -5.08647 %
NANTES 2,731 up 5.038462 %
PREVEZA 2,563 up 45.0481 %
KEFLAVIK 2,538 down -30.5229 %
TORONTO 2,412 down -0.61805 %
THIRA (SANTORINI) 2,356 down -13.6047 %
SANFORD 2,307 down -12.6136 %
HURGHADA 2,133 up 12.9767 %
MYTILINI 2,094 n/a 0 %
LUXEMBOURG 2,072 n/a 0 %
PORTO SANTO 2,007 up 18.82771 %
ALGHERO (FERTILIA) 1,825 n/a 0 %
IZMIR (ADNAN MENDERES) 1,735 down -11.1168 %
KALAMATA 1,724 up 5.572566 %
CATANIA (FONTANAROSSA) 1,719 down -6.67752 %
ILHA DO SAL C.VERDE 1,716 down -1.15207 %
BOA VISTA (RABIL) 1,701 down -1.5625 %
KAVALA 1,676 down -10.1822 %
MARRAKESH 1,657 down -23.2515 %
SALZBURG 1,650 down -2.65487 %
GOTEBORG (LANDVETTER) 1,650 n/a 0 %
RENNES 1,591 down -5.18474 %
HAMBURG 1,588 down -48.7246 %
BIARRITZ 1,568 up 0.900901 %
LIMOGES 1,560 up 46.75447 %
COMISO 1,331 n/a 0 %
LA ROCHELLE 1,207 down -29.8256 %
BODRUM (MILAS) 1,200 down -56.9584 %
AVIGNON 1,149 down -3.44538 %
GRAZ 1,093 up 359.2437 %
NUREMBERG 1,093 n/a 0 %
INNSBRUCK 797 down -10.5499 %
FLORENCE 659 n/a 0 %
BASTIA 648 down -3.13901 %
BREST 516 down -67.8505 %
BERGAMO 211 n/a 0 %
BOLOGNA 175 down -45.9877 %
CONSTANTA 167 n/a 0 %
GENEVA 149 up 231.1111 %
FRIEDRICHSHAFEN 48 n/a 0 %
ZELTWEG (MILITARY) 44 n/a 0 %
COLOGNE BONN 41 n/a 0 %
BREMEN 3 n/a 0 %

OltonPete
10th Sep 2017, 13:47
Hi CATIII-NDB

I was not consciously keeping away although I was on hols the first week of August but just little information of use to impart although there are a few rumours around but nothing major in the short-term.

I forgot to post "my" full BHX experience, which was very different this year going out with little time in the terminal after all the queuing but caught a lucky period on the way back with Monarch getting an airbridge attached in the blink of an eye and bags within 35 minutes and the only downside the e-gates which were troublesome for some of us.

Anyway enough of that and back to Brussels. I have seen postings on another forum stating that the LH group carefully monitor traffic through their various hubs in terms of fares offered through third parties and Brussels was a beneficiary. Whether there is any substance to this I don't know.

The reason for the 2017 drop was simply down to fewer rotations this year, 190 compared to 198 if I have my figures correct. 2017 averaged 61 per flight at 79% which also saw around 40 rotations by the 49 seat E145.

For 2016 I had 63 per flight at 73% but that was all 95 seat RJ100's and a few 78 seat DH8D's. Also The SU95 only holds 87 per the seat-map found so again a small capacity drop if true.

Today is a good example of the constant changes the LH group do with the 319 due on SN2047 and 2049 considerably more seats than last year but LH952, LH954 and 956 Frankfurt as 319's. Even on a Sunday that would have been rare in a September's past although Munich is now all Airbus compared to the Embraer last year (Although some scheduled for winter).

There also seems to be some movement with Swiss via the Zurich hub with several 319's and 320's scheduled over the next few months including Edelweiss.

I have to say for Aviation interest alone LH have been fantastic for BHX.

Pete

BHX5DME
10th Sep 2017, 14:25
Brussels has always been a very profiable route from BHX with fares high.

The96er
10th Sep 2017, 14:30
Brussels has always been a very profiable route from BHX with fares high.

Only a select few people within an airline know how profitable/un-profitable a route is. People who post on forums do not.

Hotel Tango
10th Sep 2017, 16:58
I have no idea if the BRU route is profitable or not but the fares certainly increased substantially the past years. So much so that a couple of years ago I switched from Brussels Airlines to Eurowings for my regular trips to Brum. (Living half way between BRU and DUS, both airports are an option for me).

BHX5DME
10th Sep 2017, 17:22
BHX themselves have said Brussels is one of there highest yielding routes

BobBHX
12th Sep 2017, 08:21
Today is a good example of the constant changes the LH group do with the 319 due on SN2047 and 2049 considerably more seats than last year but LH952, LH954 and 956 Frankfurt as 319's.

Perhaps LH are erring on the wrong side in their capacity control. Over the past few weeks I have had several rotations to FRA, out on the 953 and back on the 954, mainly 319s but the occasional 320. Virtually all flights, especially the 954, were full or very close to it. On 3 Sep the 954 (a 320) was overbooked and they were having to offer compensation for VDBs.

It is good for BHX and LH that there are so many passengers but if the denied boarding continues, passengers may think twice before booking LH.

nwoody2001
12th Sep 2017, 08:50
...in that context above, it is therefore even more frustrating that with todays announcement that Ryanair have announced an addition 3x aircraft and 34 new routes from Frankfurt Main, that BHX is not on the list!

Its great that LH is doing well on the route but it would appear from the figures being quoted that competition is indeed needed. Yet whilst BHX doesn't get anything, STN gets 14x weekly, GLA gets 7x weekly and MAN gets 6x weekly!!!

ATNotts
12th Sep 2017, 09:10
...in that context above, it is therefore even more frustrating that with todays announcement that Ryanair have announced an addition 3x aircraft and 34 new routes from Frankfurt Main, that BHX is not on the list!

Its great that LH is doing well on the route but it would appear from the figures being quoted that competition is indeed needed. Yet whilst BHX doesn't get anything, STN gets 14x weekly, GLA gets 7x weekly and MAN gets 6x weekly!!!

I'm not sure who's going to choose Ryanair over Lufthansa, leaving aside the industrial problems for which LH has become imfamous over the past couple of years. Even at 14 weekly, FR wouldn't be appealing to business PAX, they'll be no opportunity for interlining at FRA and to be honest Frankfurt am Main isn't exactly a tourism magnet.

However as always with Ryanair, I feel sure they'll pick up PAX from somewhere - else drop the routes within 6 months.

inOban
12th Sep 2017, 11:02
I'm sure there are enough PAX from MAN to fill 6 FR flights pw as well as up to 5per day with LH. GLA has no LH, so no competition except from EDI with 2/day LH. I think business would have to grow a lot before BHX could sustain two operators on the FRA route.

nwoody2001
12th Sep 2017, 11:38
I'm not sure who's going to choose Ryanair over Lufthansa, leaving aside the industrial problems for which LH has become imfamous over the past couple of years. Even at 14 weekly, FR wouldn't be appealing to business PAX, they'll be no opportunity for interlining at FRA and to be honest Frankfurt am Main isn't exactly a tourism magnet.

However as always with Ryanair, I feel sure they'll pick up PAX from somewhere - else drop the routes within 6 months.

I am not suggesting business pax would pick FR over LH, but just look at the facts.

- LH 4x daily flights, commonly full with pax needing to be off-loaded last week due to flights being over sold.

- prices are sky-high reflecting demand. One-way tickets base prices are £150. Flights next week short notice are near £300 one-way

- In comparison, RYR are offering 6x weekly flights from MAN at £14.99!!!

Whilst the current situation is great for business, its pretty dire for tourists. I don't know a single citybreaker that will pay 10-20x price to fly from BHX instead of MAN.

At that variation, BHX will lose market share. For the airport to service its community, it needs to serve both business and locals, not just the high paying business men. A daily FR is unlikely to dent the 4x daily LH operation!!!

BobBHX
12th Sep 2017, 11:41
My estimate (based on the numbers who head for connections rather than passport control at FRA) is that at least 75% of passengers on BHX/FRA are connecting. Therefore there are slim pickings for FR.

nwoody2001
12th Sep 2017, 12:01
To be frank, I think that completely misses the point...

Of course only a small number of tourists are on the LH flights. The LH flights are targeted at Business Pax and Long-haul connections which it does really well. If you are a Tourist however looking for a city break on a modest-medium budget, BHX offers NOTHING for those passangers. They head up the M6, or down the M1 to get the cheaper flights.

Looking at Thursday 14th Dec, returning on Monday 18th , a great time for city breaks in Frankfurt to see the world famous German markets...

BHX - FRA (LH) = £314 Rtn
MAN - FRA (LH) = £258 Rtn
MAN - FRA (FR) = £80 Rtn
STN - FRA (FR) = £106 Rtn
LHR - FRA (BA) = £105 Rtn

With LH having their monopoly on their route, any tourists wishing to fly from BHX will end up paying £200 more than they to fly from Heathrow, or £235 more than they have to fly from Manchester...

Great for yields, awful for choice, competition and people who aren't business men. Is it any wonder that only 75% of the LH are direct travelers... I suspect none of them would want o travel from BHX at those prices!

FQTLSteve
12th Sep 2017, 14:53
nwoody2001That's interesting. I've just used Expedia to book flight only on the dates you selected. The cheapest was Swiss via Zurich (BHX08:45 FRA13:20) £139.29 return without checked bags including all taxes.
Scrolling down through next two cheapest Brussels Airlines and KLM then Lufthansa 09:00 departure £171.09 return rules as Swiss. They're also offering deals to add Hotel, so it doesn't seem that bad to me.

nwoody2001
12th Sep 2017, 15:12
apologies I must stress all the flights were for 2 people sharing. apologies for forgetting to include that in my message.... the prices you see on expedia are therefore the exact same to those im quoting you!

FQTLSteve
13th Sep 2017, 06:59
nwoody2001 No worries....that does explain the difference!

cheesebag
13th Sep 2017, 11:59
I've done Orlando via FRA a few times at a fraction of BA/VS cost from here... plenty of connecting passengers on-board