View Full Version : BIRMINGHAM - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

BHX5DME
9th Jul 2016, 17:00
Dont rule out Norwegian short and long haul from BHX

pwalhx
9th Jul 2016, 17:02
Ryanair did one week announce that they would not expand in the UK.

Then of course they did exactly that the next week with the announcements in Aberdeen and Leeds.

Bagso
9th Jul 2016, 17:08
Brexit balls

Easy are moving "their corporate HQ" so it is registered in Europe. There will not be any change operationally, that will ebb and flo as it does now.

And yes see RYR announcement last week , unequivocal "no expansion now in UK"

...followed by a swift 180 and backtrack !!!

FRatSTN
9th Jul 2016, 19:39
When Ryanair says they are cutting investment in the UK following Brexit, I think it's more to do with based aircraft, crew, maintenance etc.

It doesn't mean they won't announce a single new route from a UK airport for another two years! They'll still continue to link UK airports up with markets across Europe they are investing in.

hec7or
10th Jul 2016, 04:41
When Ryanair says they are cutting investment in the UK following Brexit, I think it's more to do with based aircraft, crew, maintenance etc.

Which are cheaper following the fall in the value of the £

RealFish
10th Jul 2016, 15:20
With Tunisia / Egypt / Turkey all out of favour, focusing short-haul leisure capacity on Spain / Canaries / Greece / Cyprus isn't a bad thing.

I think that there are still some holes that could be filled. Malta is picking up a significant increase in tourism from across Europe. I'm here at the moment on a work related trip but from Gatwick - nothing from BHX worked time or date wise.

I would have thought that a short season to Mykonos might also be worth a punt.

chaps1954
10th Jul 2016, 15:45
Interesting that all the airports in Midlands/Northwest/Yorkshire are showing big increases whereas other areas not

Ian

EI-A330-300
11th Jul 2016, 23:34
Aer Lingus have updated schedules for DUB and now showing up to 7 daily for winter...

Mondays - 6 (3 EI, 3 EIR)
Tuesdays - 6 (2 EI, 4 EIR)
Wednesdays - 6 (2 EI, 4 EIR)
Thursdays - 7 (4 EI, 3 EIR)
Friday - 7 (4 EI, 3 EIR)
Saturday - 4 (1 EI, 3 EIR)
Sunday - 6 (2 EI, 4 EIR)

I'm sure FR will just have to add some more capacity to match it!

BHX5DME
13th Jul 2016, 12:14
In total 1,118,452 people were recorded travelling through the airport last month, up by 13.1% compared to the same month last year. This equates to over 129,000 more passengers travelling through the airport in June and brings the 2016 running total for passengers using the facility up to over 5.2 million so far.
Both long and short haul routes saw significant passenger growth rates with long haul up by 10.6% and short haul up by 13.2% year-on-year.
Paul Kehoe, Chief Executive Officer at Birmingham Airport, said: “June is the start of the busy summer season here at Birmingham Airport and it’s great that we have started this off with over a million passengers travelling through.
“Long haul routes are continuing to perform well but our short haul routes also saw very strong growth compared to last year showing that demand to fly from Birmingham Airport is increasing. Our growing list of airlines and destinations means more passengers are choosing to fly from the West Midlands as we offer choice, accessibility, flexibility and value.”
Scheduled traffic accounted for over 86% of the total passenger volume for June and saw a 26% growth rate compared to the same month last year. Charter traffic accounted for over 14% of the total.
Caribbean and Middle Eastern destinations saw the greatest rates of growth compared to the same month last year due to new direct destinations such as Doha and Punta Cana.
Scheduled destinations with significant year-on-year passenger growth were Malta (+93.8%), Palma de Mallorca (+90.2%) and Reykjavik (+87.6%).
Charter destinations with significant growth were Fuerteventura (+147%), Skiathos (+78.6%) and Genoa (+66%).

airworld
13th Jul 2016, 20:03
Overheard an interesting conversation whilst waiting at the gate for my flight... Agents stating that One certain airline takes priority over the rest at Birmingham! I was dammed disappointed I couldn't listen to all ,as my flight was called!

The96er
13th Jul 2016, 20:07
Overheard an interesting conversation whilst waiting at the gate for my flight... Agents stating that One certain airline takes priority over the rest at Birmingham! I was dammed disappointed I couldn't listen to all ,as my flight was called!

Probably the same airline at MAN too that seems to take priority over every other ! :*

Shed-on-a-Pole
13th Jul 2016, 21:18
Just a thought ... does this favoured airline pay premium rates for use of the airport facilities as opposed to the rock bottom deals secured by some no-frills players? Perhaps they're getting what they're paying for?

mattjwood
13th Jul 2016, 22:18
Flew out on the 11th to PXO from BHX. I have never seen the airport like it - it was extremely busy and the terminal was in chaos. There were some sort of technical failure with one of the baggage belts, and consequently people were having to leave their bags in a dedicated area instead of putting them on the belt when they checked in. It was a recipe for disaster.

When we landed at PXO, it was inevitable there were going to be passengers without luggage - and it happened. A few families without luggage - still left behind in BHX due to the monumental cock up at check in.

Expensive mistake seeings as there is only 1 flight per week to PXO - Thomson rep said their luggage would be flown into Madeira on a BA flight, then flew on small turbo prop to PXO.

If Jet2 are going to start flying from there too, then something needs to be done. Im just glad I had booked the No1 Lounge - it was very laid back in there!

crewmeal
14th Jul 2016, 06:47
Growth growth growth - wonderful, great, fantastic, well done, but what about the infrastructure? It's bursting at the seams. Wasn't last Sunday's EK40 flight delayed by an hour because of 100 pax missing along with 180 bags?

Come on BHX, what are the plans for expansion of the terminal facilities?

Hotel Tango
14th Jul 2016, 09:32
Growth growth growth - wonderful, great, fantastic, well done, but what about the infrastructure? It's bursting at the seams

Precisely! I'm a regular user of BHX and it's getting worse all the time. Paul Kehoe doesn't care a hoot about his customers as long as he rakes in the money.

ATNotts
14th Jul 2016, 12:23
Precisely! I'm a regular user of BHX and it's getting worse all the time. Paul Kehoe doesn't care a hoot about his customers as long as he rakes in the money.
That's 21st century business for you - whether it's airports, supermarkets, insurance companies - profit is king, the customer secondary, no matter what the corporate spin merchants might want you to believe.

chinapattern
14th Jul 2016, 17:59
Thomas Cook to launch Birmingham - Comiso next summer. x1 weekly from 3 May.

cheesebag
15th Jul 2016, 10:02
Maybe the lick of paint for the original terminal means it will be Jet2's new hub :)

jfy1999
18th Jul 2016, 18:04
S17 timetable has now been released and is showing a few changes:

FAO 4x weekly to daily
LPA 2x to 3x weekly
TFS 3x to 4x weekly

Ibiza is down from 3x to 2x weekly

I'm sure there'll be more amendments to the timetable over the coming months.

j636
18th Jul 2016, 18:32
BHX gone from usually the last to the first or one of the first. Jet 2 have really caught them off guard....

jfy1999
19th Jul 2016, 19:32
Latest development: WMI becomes a BHX based aircraft for S17

Could easily turn out to be 5 based aircraft next summer at this rate.

crewmeal
21st Jul 2016, 06:15
Is the EWR route for the chop or more reductions for the winter

The currency imbalance is less of a concern for London, executives at United and Delta have said, but it is a potential problem elsewhere. United said it is reducing its schedule this winter from Washington Dulles to Manchester, and likely will do the same with Newark to Birmingham. The airline also plans to use smaller aircraft from Dulles to London.

The whole article can be found here:

https://skift.com/2016/07/19/united-will-trim-uk-and-domestic-flights-slightly/

jfy1999
21st Jul 2016, 10:13
I've heard that the reductions are actually referring to the usual drop down to 4x weekly for February and United are just bringing this up as if it's new news in order to get attention...

Daza
21st Jul 2016, 15:28
Ryanair add three more routes for Summer 2017
Chania (2 wkly), Girona (3 wkly) & Reus (2 wkly)
More flights to: Faro (daily), Ibiza (6 wkly), Gran Canaria (3 wkly), Palma (11 wkly) & Tenerife (4 wkly)
2 new summer services: Sofia (3 wkly) & Warsaw (3 wkly),
28 routes in total
141 weekly flights
2.3m customers p.a.

Link to press release http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/160721-ryanair-launches-birmingham-summer-2017-schedule/?market=en
More great news! :ok:

Bagso
21st Jul 2016, 15:42
Yes if this is RYR reaction to Brexit? where 2 days after the announcement they said " no more expansion in the UK" I'm all for it...

Since that somewhat hasty comment they have announced significant expansion at BHX and LBA!

MANFOD
21st Jul 2016, 16:00
And at NCL where it's mentioned elsewhere that their additional flights are with non-based a/c.
Does the BHX expansion involve extra based a/c or is it mainly using non-based?

Daza
21st Jul 2016, 16:42
It looks like the new routes are BHX based but its early days BHX has an awful lot of away based flights so I guess the change to a 5 aircraft base would be easy. It's a 20% increase in seats over Summer 2016
NCL, LBA and BHX all see increases maybe a shot across the bow of Jet2? :}
Daza

ssflyer
21st Jul 2016, 21:37
An obvious reaction by FR to Jet2 at BHX-Girona returning after 5 years!
SS

OltonPete
21st Jul 2016, 22:37
MANFOD

You can never be certain with Ryanair with their first or second releases but it looks like a 5th based aircraft at the moment required on 6 days. Some in the morning only some in the evening only but both on a couple of days and coupled with 11 away based flights, I feel that it will be 5 based for the first time or I should say 5 operational not counting past winters with 10 parked up.

I agree with others, a clear message to Jet2 and lets hope there is enough passengers to go around. At least Chania is a decent summer destination.

Pete

crewmeal
22nd Jul 2016, 05:44
I'm sure the public will vote with their feet. Jet2 have launched a massive advertising campaign throughout the city and on TV. Also Jet2 have the advantage by offering complete package holidays, FR don't.

jfy1999
22nd Jul 2016, 08:41
Just noticed something very interesting in next summer's timetable. Mallorca is showing as 2x daily departures on Wednesday this summer, but S17 is showing as 3x daily departures on Wednesday – the only day with no long haul flight.

Could the 787 be operating an additional flight to PMI to fill in the gap in the long haul schedule?

mudcity
22nd Jul 2016, 08:50
Not great news for MON.....the market is not likely to grow that much, so yields will be down for all .

getonittt
22nd Jul 2016, 09:28
Not sure what you mean by " the market" . People are still going to have holidays , no matter what , that's a gimme , but I think after events of the last few months it is Spain and Portugal that will see an increase in visitors and that is what this extra capacity is providing.

ATNotts
22nd Jul 2016, 09:51
Not sure what you mean by " the market" . People are still going to have holidays , no matter what , that's a gimme , but I think after events of the last few months it is Spain and Portugal that will see an increase in visitors and that is what this extra capacity is providing.
"The market" itself may not grow that much, but the arrival of Jet2 on the scene with their good old fashioned "family package holiday" brand may well pull in passengers who previously flew from EMA and MAN, and provide Jet2 with a new market further to the south and southwest of England.

I'm afraid I don't buy the "staycation" (I absolutely hate that stupid American term - we have holidays not vacations!) thing that's being peddled in the media at the moment. With sterling settled around € 1.20 it is only 6-7% below it's average value pre- referendum, and most people not having any idea what the pound is worth anyway. Testament to that is now many people buy their "holiday money" at airport bureau de change!

Brits. pretty much view their 2 weeks in the sun as a necessity these days, and much like price rises in motor fuel, they won't like a hike in package tour and air fares, but they'll grin and bear them, and either go further into debt, or save somewhere else to afford the holiday. If anything, I could see the "city break" market suffering, as I recall it did post the economic crash.

OltonPete
23rd Jul 2016, 11:29
Bad and good

First the bad - United are showing 4 a week all winter now on their website and for once some GDS has yet to catch up. Departs BHX Friday to Monday and Newark Thursday to Sunday. Not a great schedule at least Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday would offer a service every other day (Sunday is poor most weeks outside of peak).

AA remains the same at present but they have not finalised their schedule but if it does stay then another site mentions WiFi for the 757's and a refresh although not full IFE.

Swiss - More and more CS100 flights added with November now Monday, Thursday and Saturday morning and Tuesday evening and then double daily in the week from 19/12 and daily at the weekend for the rest of winter minus the odd A320 upgrade at holiday time.

Still no sign of Ryanair 11 a week Palma and 6 a week Ibiza in the 2017 summer schedules.

Pete

nigel osborne
25th Jul 2016, 13:47
Well its just about worth a mention;

I had great hope that the treading water approach Canadian Affair/Air Transat have had out of Birmingham for so many years might finally show an improvement next summer.

This after Mr Keehoe tweeted his frustration on the lack of services/increases from the companies last summer. The company tweeted back something like "Reward comes to those that wait"..

However with their summer 2017 flights now released its another carbon copy. One a week to YYZ on a Wednesday same flight number no new destinations. :sad: :ouch: :zzz: zzzzzzz

Air Transat continues its year on year expansion at its other UK airports next year in comparison :*

Can only hope Air Canada Rouge or West Jet add some excitement next year and announce BHX

jfy1999
26th Jul 2016, 16:28
Read a post by a BHX handling agent on another forum and this is expected to be announced "soon" for a 2017 start.

OltonPete
1st Aug 2016, 16:09
Madrid in August showing as Hi Fly A330's on some flights in at least one GDS search engine.

Every Sunday and three out of four Thursdays although Tuesday seems to be NAX. Barcelona seems to be the Danish 320 in the week and Air Explore the Malaga again in the week so no change.

More Ryanair August increases compared to last year with Palma at 9 a week and Alicante at 12 plus the usual extra ACE and FAO both on a Sunday this year with FR664 Dublin returning except for Monday.

The second Saturday Qatar has gone for the rest of summer and all of winter making it daily only but loads are holding up - not so sure about yields though going by some fares but at least taking the fight to EK and TK.

Pete

CabinCrewe
1st Aug 2016, 18:12
what airports are TS expanding too? GLA has had its YUL dropped S17 and YYZ is down to 4 times per week during early season rather than 5.
DL to ATL would be a surprise esp after the twice failed attempts to EDI

ZULUBOY
1st Aug 2016, 18:36
Madrid in August showing as Hi Fly A330's on some flights in at least one GDS search engine.

Every Sunday and three out of four Thursdays although Tuesday seems to be NAX. Barcelona seems to be the Danish 320 in the week and Air Explore the Malaga again in the week so no change.

More Ryanair August increases compared to last year with Palma at 9 a week and Alicante at 12 plus the usual extra ACE and FAO both on a Sunday this year with FR664 Dublin returning except for Monday.

The second Saturday Qatar has gone for the rest of summer and all of winter making it daily only but loads are holding up - not so sure about yields though going by some fares but at least taking the fight to EK and TK.

Pete
Pete, would the Qatar changes be showing in booking engines now. Booked to Mel on the morning flight on a Saturday in April and lunchtime arrival from Syd also on Saturday in April. Still showing on Kayak and not had any notification of a change

OltonPete
1st Aug 2016, 18:54
ZULUBOY

April is fine at the moment.

It is the rest of this summer and the winter season which ends on the last Saturday in March (2017).

Of course it all depends on Qatar and Airbus sorting out the new aircraft deliveries but as your departure is pretty close to Easter and I would have thought they will do the utmost to ensure it operates.

Pete

ZULUBOY
1st Aug 2016, 19:58
ZULUBOY

April is fine at the moment.

It is the rest of this summer and the winter season which ends on the last Saturday in March (2017).

Of course it all depends on Qatar and Airbus sorting out the new aircraft deliveries but as your departure is pretty close to Easter and I would have thought they will do the utmost to ensure it operates.

Pete
Cheers Pete. Yep, flying Easter period

jfy1999
2nd Aug 2016, 09:54
BHX will be one of the UK departure points for some one-off charter flights to Aqaba near Petra in Jordan for the Thomson Celebration – the BHX flight will depart on December 6.

crewmeal
2nd Aug 2016, 10:33
Having been to Aqaba many times it's a great place to visit with an excellent duty free port and it's nearer to Petra than Amman, so travelling by coach is easier.

ssflyer
2nd Aug 2016, 10:58
I remember the twice weekly charter flights there with British Med Air (?) ideal for the scuba groups who wanted to dive on the Saudi reef near the border.Also Jules Verne (now Kuoni) package customers. And only 75 mins to Petra.
Back on topic-presumably the Thomson flights are for cruise pax only.
SS

Fried_Chicken
3rd Aug 2016, 18:11
The Airtanker A330 has arrived this evening to become based, hopefully it'll be kept busy

FC

ronnoc1k8
8th Aug 2016, 09:43
Emirates will swap the A380 flight from the lunchtime flight to the evening flight from 1st January. So EK39/40 will revert back to B77W whilst EK37/38 will upgrade to an A380.

LandingConfig
8th Aug 2016, 10:19
Emirates will swap the A380 flight from the lunchtime flight to the evening flight from 1st January. So EK39/40 will revert back to B77W whilst EK37/38 will upgrade to an A380.
That's very interesting, is the evening flight generally busier?

bhx bod
8th Aug 2016, 11:16
The evening flight has been generally busier,although it is not unusual for the EK 39/40 to have high loads.In fact 500 plus passengers have been recorded on the flights since the A380 was introduced.
I guess it is just a matter of time and aircraft availability for the A380 to return on the lunchtime flight.

j636
8th Aug 2016, 14:04
Evening flight offers better connections to NZ and AUS in particular so could be why they are moving it.

OltonPete
8th Aug 2016, 18:31
EK37/8 was a slow-starter to start but it soon picked up and I had a pleasant ride on full A332 on EK37 and it wasn't long after it changed to the 777.

As j636 as stated it was by far the best service to connect with New Zealand and Australia and for a long period and I believe it was the only way to get a short wait to Sydney although that has long since changed but despite more of a choice now with both the main two banks the loads have remained excellent on EK37/8.

In comparison EK39/40 has a quarter of the year with poor loads due to the low season in Asia and of course Ramadan, yet EK37/8 has remained full other than in parts of June until this summer of course and 3 class aircraft have started appear (tonight in fact).

I don't think it is a co-incidence Manchester gets the 615 seat aircraft on EK19/20 and the 517 seat aircraft on EK17/18. Also didn't Gatwick get the A380 first on their evening service and I was a little surprised that they chose the lunchtime first at BHX.

This should be a good move and I don't see too much of an issue for the airport handling it at 18.30 although the Air India will be around at the same time but the PIA departs around one before the EK 4 nights a week.

Pete

ssflyer
8th Aug 2016, 22:09
EK aircraft changes
Thanks OP,Good call
We were booked on EK39 in January and had chosen our J seats on the A380.
EK has now allocated us new seats in the 777 on different rows and either side of the aircraft !!
Now, using Manage My Booking,I have managed to sit us together, with difficulty, as most twins had only one seat free.

OltonPete
8th Aug 2016, 22:54
ssflyer

Interesting. Are you onward or Dubai bound and could you have changed your flight to EK38 to still pick up the A380, assuming connections allow?

Or if Dubai bound could you change to the much moire favourable EK42?

Monarch

Some minor changes with some winter reductions in January which happens mosts years with Barcelona dropping to 3 a week and Rome two a week. Gibraltar actually lays over 8th January to 17th February which I think is the first time this has happened.

Not sure when this changed but Arrecife increases to six weekly in September and October and Las Palmas to 5 weekly at the same time. Venice is up on last year with a weekly Saturday in November and back on 10 February.

Pete

ssflyer
9th Aug 2016, 22:17
OP
Had a few flights J, in 2 class A380 ex DXB and BKK and was disappointed.
Firstly in the seating as Mrs SSF insist on a window seat and therefore we cannot sit together and if I am over the aisle my seat is staggered.Prefer the 777- and I prefer my fizz and G&T in my seat
Also I do feel the service is not as good in the A380-not enough FA's and too far from the galley ,you are never more than 6 rows away in the 777 2 class
Also we are in the EK 40 A380 midday flight as we fly before NY and our return connection will be on EK39, now a 777.
One thought-I have done the overnight flight from BHX.Never again,I couldn't sleep a wink.
SSF

Hotel Tango
9th Aug 2016, 22:47
Talking of Emirates A380s, I noticed yesterday's flight (A6-EUD) was delayed. On turning up for my flight to DUS this afternoon I noted UD was still in and on a remote stand. Waiting for parts?

BHX5DME
10th Aug 2016, 06:46
A6-EUD has just left BHX
It was nice to have 2 388's on the ground together yesterday

Fishaman
10th Aug 2016, 18:26
Indeed she flew over CVT around 6.45am this morning as EK2502, any idea of what the tech issue was that grounded her? Delivery date was 30th June 16 so a shiny new bird.

dude1882
10th Aug 2016, 18:30
Fuel leak I think

FCAcrewboy
11th Aug 2016, 07:52
Any news on TOM W16 operation. Rumours around that the 767 will op to Dubai and BGI once weekly.

Any chance of the Sunwing C REG returning for S17. rocky start with tech and OTP delays.

oceanhawk
11th Aug 2016, 10:42
The 767 will be doing the Dubai and three flights a week to BGI.

OltonPete
11th Aug 2016, 12:28
Per BHX 1221212

Pretty decent figure.

ssflyer - interesting points re the compare between the 380 and 777.

oceanhawk - does this mean the 787 is elsewhere on Friday and Saturday when the BGI operates as a 767?

Pete

jfy1999
11th Aug 2016, 13:27
Biggest scheduled growth was on Madrid (up 313.3%) and biggest charter growth was on Orlando (up 206.3%, don't know how though as frequency/equipment is exactly the same as last year)

https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/2016/08/july-passenger-figures-put-birmingham-airport-on-course-to-celebrate-record-summer/

OltonPete
11th Aug 2016, 18:16
jfy1999

Sanford was weekly this July and last July only 3 sectors operated as Thomson deemed it more profitable to send the aircraft elsewhere to accommodate Scottish school holidays which is a great idea but eventually they cross-over and the Midlands lose out for a week or two.

Thankfully this year they only did it with the Montego Bay and one of the Cancun flights. if BHX was teaming with Sanford's I could have understood it a bit better but the only flight.

Pete

oceanhawk
12th Aug 2016, 18:51
Sorry Pete, do not know what the 787 will be doing. I guess Cun or Mbj ,or puj.

I do know the 767 will be on the Dubai and all the BGI s.

AvGeek1
13th Aug 2016, 09:33
Does anyone know how Qatar's Doha service is performing, any information on it?

BHX5DME
13th Aug 2016, 11:01
Qatar are doing very well pax and cargo, I think BHX will see either a bigger aircraft or 10 per week in the near future

OltonPete
13th Aug 2016, 11:13
oceanhawk

Thank you for the reply.

I believe the long-haul schedule come Christmas is: -

Monday - Dubai & Cancun
Tuesday Montego Bay
Wednesday - Punta Cana
Thursday - Cancun
Friday - Bridgetown
Saturday - Brisgetwon
Sunday - Bridgetown & Montego Bay

From what you are saying the 763 will be here from Friday until it returns from DWC on Tuesday afternoon and the 787 Sunday - Thursday.

Seems a slight backward step to reduce the 787 from 6 flights last winter to 5 but I suppose overall a significant increase.

AvGeek1

Due to the wonderful new improved CAA site where you get the stats 15 months later (joking) rather than the old inefficient method of 15 days, only the April stats are known and these were encouraging if not stellar (72% load factor).

However although I am sure Qatar's main short-term aim is market-share and it is worth looking at various fares currently on sale. It really reinforces the aforementioned assumption that it appears it is pax before yields or at least to start with.

The base economy fares for an advanced purchases are just a bargain (small sample of SE Asia, HKG & Australia) and there is no other way to describe them.

As you move up the fare ladder business seems a lot more balanced in terms of price but with only 24 seats up front I suppose they don't need to be so cavalier. I am not here to advertise any airline, as I don't want to incur the wrath of the Mods but some seriously stupid and I mean stupid fares at times and it does back up what I have mentioned above.

If I had to stick my neck out re loads alone I would say that they have more than held their own, slowed Emirates bedding in of EK41/2 and also restricted TK's increase although there have been of course other factors at play recently with them.

I wouldn't go as far as saying low Qatar fares have helped force EK to move the 380 from lunchtime to evening but it certainly hasn't helped although the main driver appears to be to re-balance their own loads to give a helping hand to EK41/2. It also makes sense as EK37/8 often sells out for a good chunk of the year. At least some rumours don't come true luckily or so it seems on this one.

Pete

GayFriendly
14th Aug 2016, 17:02
OP you are right there are some absolute bargains flying with QR at the moment, searching for flights to the Middle and Far East from BHX in Oct and Nov both TK and QR were offering some very low fares with EK consistently £50-£150 more depending on destination. The queue this morning at QR check in was very healthy too. In fact the whole terminal was heaving, how on earth are they going to fit Jet2 in next summer?

I'm surprised that QR don't have a proper ticket desk. Then again most of the desks are seemingly abandoned or in the case of Turkmenistan have been removed altogether. Is there a plan to get rid of these desks to increase space in what is a very tight area for check in, I can't imagine QR will put up with their compact check in area forever?

To stick my neck out I have a feeling that if QR hadn't started we would have or about to have double daily EK 380.

jfy1999
16th Aug 2016, 15:23
According to RoutesOnline the BHX-DWC flights will be on the 787...

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/268420/thomson-schedules-dubai-service-in-w16/

tubby linton
17th Aug 2016, 00:24
Does anybody know when the figures for the FY to the end of March 2016 will be published?
It is interesting that in the last set of figures they seem to have made more money as a shopping centre than as an airport.
The airport certainly seems to have a lot of directors. I wonder how many actually contribute to the operation?
Their emolument costs increased by over 25%.One director earned comsiderably more than my airline CEO!
It also shows that employee costs barely rose, probably because the airport pays only minimum wage.
https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media/2150/2014-15-bahl-website-version.pdf

ATNotts
17th Aug 2016, 06:55
Does anybody know when the figures for the FY to the end of March 2016 will be published?
It is interesting that in the last set of figures they seem to have made more money as a shopping centre than as an airport.
The airport certainly seems to have a lot of directors. I wonder how many actually contribute to the operation?
Their emolument costs increased by over 25%.One director earned comsiderably more than my airline CEO!
It also shows that employee costs barely rose, probably because the airport pays only minimum wage.
https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media/2150/2014-15-bahl-website-version.pdf
I'm not sure what's so surprising about that. Since the "low cost" revolution many airlines have taken the view that it's not their job to pay for using airports, so the revenue has to come from somewhere else, be that retailers, trolley charges, fast lane security, car parking etc. etc. That these figures are increasing as a proportion of total revenue is hardly surprising. I doubt there is a single major airport in UK where the trend toward being a "shopping centre with parking for airliners" isn't the norm. personally I dislike that trend but that's life today.

As for directors, as BHX is part public owned, you can expect local politicians to have a seat at the big table. I'm afraid that the question of how much the directors "earn" is a thorny one generally, and the gulf between salaries for executives and your average joe will continue to widen. One assumes (hopes) that executive pay is performance related, that may reflect why the director of BHX perhaps earns more than the CEO at your employer - not knowing who that employer is.

Hotel Tango
17th Aug 2016, 16:00
personally I dislike that trend but that's life today.

Sadly it's because of the average "that's life today" attitude that airports get away with it! I'm a regular passenger and not on super low cost carriers. I use airlines to travel. I use airports to board flights on those airlines I travel with. I do not wish to be subjected to a grand tour of a shopping mall on my way to the gate! I feel sorry for the poor inexperienced passengers at BHX who sheepishly stay in the dark dungeon of a departure lounge because they don't know any better. Personally I make my way to the gate area where I can see daylight and basically get some peace and quiet.

FQTLSteve
20th Aug 2016, 08:18
Just been reading about LPL and easy jet on Anna aero. It made me wonder, BHX must be by far the largest airport in the UK (xLHR) without a base, and very limited route structure.... I find this rather odd considering so many other European locos use BHX and growing rapidly, FR I believe are upping winter capacity c45%. Is this rather odd? Or am I missing something?

jfy1999
20th Aug 2016, 09:17
EasyJet are reluctant to invest in the Midlands after their EMA operation flopped. It's precisely because of this expansion from the European LCC's as well as Jet2 that I find it hard to see where they would fit in at BHX as most of the routes they could introduce could just as easily be introduced by airlines we already have.

In other news, Finnair was rumoured for S17 but it appears BHX has missed out for now as their schedule is now out and aircraft schedules look pretty much maxed out.

BCN and MAD still not bookable past the end of October with Norwegian but the situation is the same with MAN and EDI and Norwegian have a habit of releasing things late.

FRatSTN
20th Aug 2016, 15:32
With regards to EZY, I wouldn't say their EMA operation flopped. They just did their usual tactic of shying away from the competitors in that market, FR and WW (BmiBaby) as was at the time.

They reallocated their three based aircraft citing stagnation of the EMA base and better growth opportunities elsewhere. If only they'd stayed put things may have turned out different for them following the demise of WW only 2 years after.

I think based on broadly the same reasons with stronger market positions held by rival carriers, it would be unlikely for EZY to set up a BHX base, though some of the commercial decisions they seem to take regarding their route network never quite cease to surprise me.

tubby linton
20th Aug 2016, 16:21
The notam relating to RW33 being downgraded to CAT1 has been extended until November. I thought that some waterproofing works were meant to have taken place to restore the capability.

FQTLSteve
21st Aug 2016, 08:23
With regard to Easy, they face competition from others in MAN and EDI as examples, and Jet2 have decided to set up in BHX facing the same issues as Easy, perhaps harder as they are probably not quite as well known in the West and south Midlands etc. It still strikes me as odd, looking at Easy network BHX must be one of the larger W European airports to have so little Easy activity, they don't even keep GVA all year which imho would be viable, after all BHX must surely have the best road and rail feeds of any other airport in the UK. Furthermore they op and base extensively at LPL and MAN, even closer together than BHX and EMA. Perhaps they can't get a good deal, but that seems odd given the recent influx of locos, it must be me but as one of the largest locos it just seems odd to not have at least some presence at BHX given its size?

jfy1999
21st Aug 2016, 09:30
Fuerteventura which was slightly late to be released is now bookable for S17 and Sharm is currently available to book between February and April (both 2 weekly).

Worryingly, Nice was previously bookable at 4x weekly for S17 but has now been removed, with nothing showing beyond October this year. What's going on there? I hope they're not dropping it.

ATNotts
21st Aug 2016, 11:34
Worryingly, Nice was previously bookable at 4x weekly for S17 but has now been removed, with nothing showing beyond October this year. What's going on there?

I would suggest a little matter of a lunatic, a truck and a Bastille Day parade not 6 weeks ago may be a contributory factor. These days people are so risk averse that such an attack will put people off going. One wonders how Spain would have fared in the 1970s and 1980 when ETA were active in Spain, and around holiday resorts.

I blame insurance companies and lawyers.

LandingConfig
21st Aug 2016, 19:11
EK flights after 25th March 2017 are all on the 77W, is the A380 service being discontinued?

OltonPete
21st Aug 2016, 20:10
LandingConfig

Noted this three days ago after the heads-up on another forum but should know more tomorrow.

It seems a lot of people have heard except for any one at BHX which could mean the booking engine has not been updated for summer to show EK37/8 as the 380. I can't remember ever seeing EK37 as an A380 other than January to the end of March.

However Emirates.com up until yesterday was showing the A380 on EK39 but today it is all B777. GDS has been showing all 777 since the middle of last week.

It would be a bit strange to issue a press release stating that the A380 is moving to EK37 for it then to be removed a week later - it would be a bit odd but I suppose in the aviation world things change fast..

Certainly the May figure was interesting to say the least and the load factor I think close on an all-time low but the amount of capacity increase to the Middle East was always going to make it look ugly in May and June. June might look slightly better as EK41/2 was non-ops a few times.

If BHX loses the A380 albeit temporary it might be a PR disaster but the alternative that was rumoured was actually worse in my opinion.

As I have said before if they wanted to put a 615 seat aircraft on any flight EK37/8 was best service for sheer passenger numbers and probably handling at the airport as 18.30-21.30 would be better than 11.30-14.30.

On the positive side there are now plenty of loads above 428 on the 380 but there again it is holiday time,

Thomson

The online cruise brochure last week did not indicate the 787 on BHX-Dubai.

Summer 17 now showing the three Malaga away based flights as based and operating to other UK airports indicating possibly short-haul aircraft number 7 on certain days. However the second Marrakech (Monday) and new Almeria (Sunday) have gone already.

jfy1999

Re Monarch Nice, I wasn't sure if it had been released but I was away when the schedule was launched. Although this coming winter Larnaca was also released very late and in fact a work colleague booked Luton due to the delay but it all worked out as Luton - LCA has been cancelled this winter and has been moved to the BHX flight at the Luton price which was far more competitive than the usual BHX fare.

Pete

ssflyer
21st Aug 2016, 21:34
Change because of loss of cargo capacity?
SS

ATNotts
22nd Aug 2016, 06:53
Change because of loss of cargo capacity?
SS
IF the rumours prove founded, then I would think that even if cargo isn't the reason, then that is how it will be spun.

Problem is that for the media, and for that matter many airport operators, not to mention enthusiasts, cargo is the cinderella sector. BHX rarely seems to deliver accurate cargo figures to the CAA - or if they do, then the tonnages suggested by the figures are at considerable odds the the tonnages quoted here previously, and don't appear to bear out the number of freighters handled through the airport on charters, especially for the vehicle industry - but of course you don't know how many kg of cargo there may be on each chartered flight - sometimes it could be very little.

OltonPete
22nd Aug 2016, 17:19
https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/media-information/news/2016/08/eleven-million-passengers-choose-birmingham-airport/

Onward & upwards

Note the bit about the 380.

I will ask again....did anyone ever see EK37/8 as an A380 past late March as I can't remember. All will be come clear.

Pete

ssflyer
22nd Aug 2016, 21:50
Seems to be an EK computer hiccup which will be resolved soonest- the A380 to continue after April, so informed comment elsewhere have indicated
Big red faces all round,and no doubt brown trousers at BHX Management.
SSF

Wolverhampton
24th Aug 2016, 09:19
Further to the above info, I received a message from the airport saying the following. "Hi, the A380 will be operating on the evening service next summer and should be updated online soon :) Thanks!".

mattjwood
24th Aug 2016, 18:08
Anyone know what the crack was with the TOM7352 B737 from BHX - PFO today?

I was out in the garden (shirley area) when this aircraft came circling round the area at around 3000ft. Thought this was odd on the second time of seeing it circle. Quickly turned by scanner on but missed as to actually what had happened.
It circled a third time before giving the clearance to land again.
It was an emergency procedure and the pilot on the comms did request fire on arrival.

BHX5DME
24th Aug 2016, 18:49
Bird strike

111KAB
25th Aug 2016, 06:32
As BHX5DME says > Incident: Thomson B738 at Birmingham on Aug 24th 2016, suspected bird strike (http://avherald.com/h?article=49d09d72&opt=0)

crewmeal
25th Aug 2016, 06:35
It must have been sheer hell and terror up there. Those poor poor panicking passengers

Cyprus-bound Thomson flight returns to Birmingham airport after mid-air birdstrike | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756541/Thomson-flight-bound-Paphos-returns-Birmingham-airport-midair-drama-two-bangs-smoke-coming-engine.html)

ATNotts
25th Aug 2016, 07:25
It must have been sheer hell and terror up there. Those poor poor panicking passengers

Cyprus-bound Thomson flight returns to Birmingham airport after mid-air birdstrike | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3756541/Thomson-flight-bound-Paphos-returns-Birmingham-airport-midair-drama-two-bangs-smoke-coming-engine.html)
Now I remember why I don't read this rag!! Made multiple attempts to turn around??? Journalists like this do a disservice to their profession!

Can't wait for poor Emily Curley to go running to compensation lawyers claiming post traumatic stress disorder; whilst at the same time using the free publicity, and her mug-shot to further her career, whatever that may be.

She might have been concerned she'd be travelling on the same plane, but I doubt very much she'll encounter the same bird!!

mattjwood
25th Aug 2016, 11:42
Thanks guys, Had a feeling it may have been a bird strike. A departing Monarch did report a large amount of birds at the end of 33 at around 200ft shortly after this happened. Pilots words to the ATC "It caused me to duck in my seat".
Matt

OltonPete
26th Aug 2016, 22:57
This time I believe it isn't a website glitch but EK41/2 is not bookable 1/11/16 - 30/11/16.

November is usually a good month going East so hopefully not just poor bookings and there are other issues but it will help AI, TK and QR.

Airport Profits

Financial year to 2016 profits reported by the Business Desk as up nearly 10 Million to over 24 Million. Income from airlines also increased by 4% so not just shopping!

Pete

sinbad73
27th Aug 2016, 01:45
Make that not bookable from 29 OCT - 30 NOV.

GrahamK
27th Aug 2016, 05:49
Runway works at DXB perhaps?

jon01
27th Aug 2016, 19:02
More cutbacks for winter 16/17 with Turkish Airlines operating less flights than winter 15/16

Turkish Airlines W16 Europe/Short-Haul service changes as of 27AUG16 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/268589/turkish-airlines-w16-europeshort-haul-service-changes-as-of-27aug16/)

tubby linton
27th Aug 2016, 19:45
Heard yesterday that the airport will never get autoland capability back on 33 due to the new road infrastructure. Somebody in the airport severely cocked up in the planning. Where do we send the diversion costs to? Paul Kehoe, c/o Diamond House Birmingham Airport????

ZeBedie
27th Aug 2016, 20:08
Going back to the 60's and for many years subsequent, the ambition was always to put the A45 in a tunnel. Oops.

OltonPete
27th Aug 2016, 20:25
sinbad73

That is a worry with the last flight Saturday 29 October for EK42 as that is the end of the summer schedules. Lets hope it is not a month by month review and it up ends up chopped for the whole winter.

Runway 33 ILS

Surely not the A45 but the bus lane that runs inside the outer perimeter fence?

Turkish

Double daily in the winter at least at the weekend and Wednesday is the other day. Hardly a surprise this one.

Pete

eggc
27th Aug 2016, 20:36
Would not worry too much about Turkish, cuts are Europe wide.

ssflyer
28th Aug 2016, 08:44
Apart from a few exceptions, there seem to be considerable delays ar BHX yesterday, that is even before the pm thunderstorms came through.
Any special reason other than traffic on a Bank Holiday Saturday? ATC? although I heard Monarch had a computer problem and check-in was manual, or was that throughout the terminal.?
Some flights were 3-4 hour late departing which could be costly.
SSF

ATNotts
28th Aug 2016, 09:48
Heard yesterday that the airport will never get autoland capability back on 33 due to the new road infrastructure. Somebody in the airport severely cocked up in the planning. Where do we send the diversion costs to? Paul Kehoe, c/o Diamond House Birmingham Airport????
Autoland, or Cat III?

Incidentally, when was the last time I saw a positive posting about BHX from TL?

tubby linton
28th Aug 2016, 10:25
ATNotts the ILS is only Cat1 at the moment..It will be interesting to see if the airport manages to improve on that . Some aircraft types allow a manual CAT3A but not the Airbus which requires an autoland.
If you had to work from there you may not think that everything is as rosy as you paint it.

ATNotts
28th Aug 2016, 11:17
ATNotts the ILS is only Cat1 at the moment..It will be interesting to see if the airport manages to improve on that . Some aircraft types allow a manual CAT3A but not the Airbus which requires an autoland.
If you had to work from there you may not think that everything is as rosy as you paint it.
Nowhere is rosy to work at or out of, but even BHX has some positive points!

tubby linton
28th Aug 2016, 12:09
I await a list of these positive points ATNotts. You are not a crew member so my experience of the airport would be very different to yours as a passenger

LTNman
28th Aug 2016, 12:31
Seems that the runway at Birmingham isn't into the prevailing wind so what's the split in landing traffic between 33 and 15?
Also how long has runway 33 been Cat1?

FRatSTN
28th Aug 2016, 13:07
More 50/50 than most UK airports though 33 is the preferential runway.

tubby linton
28th Aug 2016, 13:23
33 is the preferential runway and I haven't done a landing on 15 since the Spring. The 33 ILS has been CAT1 since the Winter.

CSman
28th Aug 2016, 18:13
In 1985,my fleet manager asked me to fly as many auto lands as possible on RW33,so that the company could designate it as an autoland field After about three months I informed the fleet manager that RW 33 should not be listed as an auto land as the results were unstable.The reason being that if BHX pride and joy Magalav was in operation it upset the Loc. So as not to upset the locals ,so no autolands approved for the 737-200

Guest 112233
28th Aug 2016, 20:10
The previous post re auto-lands on 33 is quite illuminating - LUT seems to have CATIII issues now with a new car park building, but noting from the Luton thread its a temp downgrade from CAT III B to CAT III a status at both ends.

The BHX 33 ILS Issue,is of a different order. CAT III (A or B) to CAT 1 ( I have looked up the various publicly available minima - I would imagine company operational practice(s) increases the MDA's and RVR limits allowable). Edit: I'm not qualified to speak explicitly on operational issues.

The only properly informed comments I've seen PPruNe have come from a poster who I assume to be an operational pilot or engineer who has direct experience of operations from BHX. (thanks for the EM).

Has their been an explanation from the BHX Management ? at any stage or even better, a technical analysis of the problem and a program of proposed amelioration communicated to the specialist press and effected parties. OK - People employed may be bound by their terms & conditions of employment, from commenting directly but the whole saga is beginning look bad from an SLF's point of view.

Speaking directly from experience as a diverted passenger to EMA one October in the small hours (It was a B737 200 Series - think penny coinage), I can appreciate the problem.

If for example your company operated interlinked operations both within the UK and Europe, the downgrade especially late Sept - late March could play havoc with punctuality.

I know Brum and its Fog's: As a broader issue a permanent downgrade impacts on the suitability of the extended runway for Long haul (overnight)operations and as said; diversions. Freight too.

The 15 end is I assume still CAT III capable to the glass is half full but why has there been no public explanation from the Airport management as to any progress made in finding a solution.

Please correct me if I'm wrong any any of these points thank you.

The situation does impact the travelling public and an informed explanation should be forthcoming.

Of course things may be fixed in the medium term ? If I were a high flying Company executive with a fleet based at a airfield where I faced a degrading of facilities, I would seek to renegotiate my landing fees - Ouch.

CAT III

OltonPete
28th Aug 2016, 20:38
CATIII-NDB

I certainly can't offer anything of substance technically related but a post on another forum said the fix is still scheduled during the routine November runway closures but I suppose time will tell.

The CAA diversion stats indicate BHX are not suffering unduly through diversions with 21 in 2015 with a high of 10 in November and I suspect those were late running flights during the runway closures.

Slightly higher in 2014 (31) but the figures are similar to EMA and Luton.

Ryanair

Incredible amount of time changes already to the 2017 schedule no doubt Brexit related as now back to 4 based. They never announced a 5th based but the schedule was clearly 5 based and it is now just more away based flights - 13 on a Tuesday!!!!!

Pete

Guest 112233
28th Aug 2016, 20:48
Thank you, as ever an informed reply. Good News.

Its just that from professional experience (from an admittedly different technical context) I'm concerned a the "apparent" lack of progress.

CAT III

Occams Razor
28th Aug 2016, 21:03
More 50/50 than most UK airports though 33 is the preferential runway.

33 is in use 65% of the time. It is preferential to use if the wind is 5kts or less and the runway is dry.
I haven't done a landing on 15 since the Spring. The 33 ILS has been CAT1 since the Winter.
You couldn't have flown much in July then. Perhaps if you put half as much effort into raising your issues with your base captain as you do posting on here then you may get some definitive answers.

tubby linton
28th Aug 2016, 21:09
The last time I checked Occam , July was in the Summer, and I have been working to the full extent of EASA FTL all year.
Do you remember a post you made a few years ago?
I am only repeating what you posted .Did you feed this back to your ATS manager?

Does this highlight that BHX needs to invest in internal infrastructure as well as throwing tarmac on the ground?

Perhaps Occam, you could tell us the nature of the problem and the remedial work that will be undertaken to restore full capability.

LTNman
28th Aug 2016, 21:19
From the airports own website regarding noise.

Averaged over the course of a year, 60% of operations
use R33 and 40% use R15.

crewmeal
29th Aug 2016, 06:01
The 33 ILS has been CAT1 since the Winter.

So this maybe the reason BHX doesn't get so many diversions these days.

chaps1954
29th Aug 2016, 06:43
I thought Birmingham did OK for diversions

Ian

stasis
29th Aug 2016, 09:08
Worth remembering that fog tends to be associated with light winds - at least somewhere like BHX - so the CAT3 ILS on RW15 would probably still be available on a foggy day, albeit perhaps with a bit of a tailwind.

crewmeal
29th Aug 2016, 09:33
It's not just fog that causes diversions. Earlier this year there were some pretty nasty storms in the London area which caused many to divert. If a pilot who is unfamilar with BHX also sees that it doesn't have an operative CAT III on the active runway 33 he may well choose EMA or MAN.

FlyboyUK
30th Aug 2016, 12:43
EMA seems to cope ok with CATIII only on one end. Used to be CATIII both ends until they extended the runway.

tubby linton
30th Aug 2016, 21:39
It comes down to local topography and the time of day. For example Gatwick is usually foggier at the western end due to the river Mole flowing through that part of tne airfield.Fog though is usually associated with light winds so an approach with a small tailwind should not be a problem unless you are going to overfly the local population and in an autoland we like to fly a stable draggy, noisy approach rather than the usual quiter decellerated type.
Birmingham has a number of berms built around the runway edges and there is a stream at the southern end which may trap the fog in certain parts.It will be interesting to see how the manmade topography affects the RVR..

Ametyst1
30th Aug 2016, 21:49
Emirates are reducing Birmingham to Dubai to 2 flights per day from 30th October to 30th November. Flight EK41/42 is cancelled during this time.

sinbad73
30th Aug 2016, 22:21
Emirates reductions reported previously further up this thread.

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/506454-birmingham-6-a-205.html#post9487174

wouldhave
31st Aug 2016, 06:29
anyone tell me what happened with the Aegean last night?

BHX5DME
31st Aug 2016, 06:47
Went tech and SX-DVW has landed to rescue the pax

jfy1999
2nd Sep 2016, 16:13
New route to Larnaca announced, operates Tue, Thu and Sun from March 26.

Times

LCA 0715 BHX 1030
BHX 1115 LCA 1800

AMM626
3rd Sep 2016, 14:17
Bucharest also goes 4x weekly for S17 making 10 weekly Blue Air flights in total.

Daza
7th Sep 2016, 16:44
Birmingham passengers up 13% in August! Some great growth. :ok:
Source https://www.birminghamairport.co.uk...iest-month-in-history-for-birmingham-airport/
Daza

frankie4
8th Sep 2016, 18:54
i heard rumours that Dnata is about to set up ground handling services at BHX is there any truth to this?;)

AvGeek1
8th Sep 2016, 19:12
American Airlines is cancelling the Birmingham-New York JFK route from 1st January 2017. Didn't last long.

Skipness One Echo
8th Sep 2016, 19:29
They're running all winter and stopping before summer peak? What's your source?

OltonPete
8th Sep 2016, 19:40
SOE

The poster forgot to credit airliners.net where the information came from but seems reliable although nobody at BHX has leaked it.

I flew Y in June/July with barely over 100 pax each way, I paid £349 return although to be fair the cost on the days either side were £720 in Y.

Product is as lousy as it gets on Transatlantic but service was actually okay.

The CAA stats explain everything without even considering yields the only mystery is that there were few cheap fares until recently.

Also I think the date shown is US style not GB and it ends 6 January 2017 which would make ore sense.

I still think this route is made for the Norwegian 737 MAX but I understand that BHX might not be in their plans unless this prompts them.

A grim couple of weeks on long-haul with EK41/2 cancelled in November and selected September and October dates.

However short-haul is still looking good!

Pete

Guest 112233
8th Sep 2016, 20:36
I'm being a little bit realistic but perhaps in the light of other regional withdrawals' of services by American Airlines ( I was a regular user of AA23/24), perhaps the "Global Reach aspirations of the Company Management" need to strategically re assessed.

I have a personal emotional attachment to the development of the airport but .... its starting to look like a Long/Medium haul Elephant's graveyard without the Elephant's.

As a business: (again speaking as an outsider) perhaps a Mid-land’s Gatwick is a more realistic ambition. Ultimately it comes down to wealth distribution of the catchment area, combined with the related; broad statistical measure of "propensity to travel"

I speak from direct (non armchair) experience as a AA long haul traveller from BHX. Not a spotter. Now in Cambridge.

CAT III

LEEDS APPROACH
8th Sep 2016, 20:42
anyone tell me what happened with the Aegean last night?

It came in and went out! Get it!

eggc
8th Sep 2016, 21:27
Very sad and bad news if true re AA. How can an airport like BHX not maintain a JFK service !? Like Pete says the US airlines do not help themselves, the metal used is awful in 2016 terms. I do not think this will be the last termination either, I'd be surprised if MAN escapes unscathed. Real blows for regional flying.

Navpi
8th Sep 2016, 21:36
Birmingham is one step forward, and sadly one step back. Just as I thought the dam might open.

Manchester may indeed lose out BUT it is 5 steps forward maybe just 1 back.

LA Miami Boston San Francisco. ....not sure I need to go on.

Totally different market.

tubby linton
8th Sep 2016, 22:16
I would be interested to know the business/ leisure split for these long haul AA services. For a businessman travelling regularly the chaotic and dated nature of the airport until you can get out into the gate area is a real turn off. For AA you are connecting into one of their hubs but how did the arrival time match with onward connections in their network? AA is a Oneworld member and do you get better connections by traveling through LHR? The equipment AA used at BHX did not offer a huge amount of seats so realistically is the airport going to miss it?
Passengers in the leisure market vote with their creditcard and Norwegian are offering some very cheap flights to similar destinations from LGW.

crewmeal
9th Sep 2016, 05:24
JFK flights have been on and off since the 70's. BOAC tried via MAN and PIK. BA had a dedicated 767 in the 90's rthen educed the service to a 757 via YYZ. Non of them were consistent. So far United seem to be the only carrier committed and that's being reduced during the winter. To be honest travelling around the region I've never seen any ads or promotions for the JFK route unlike Jet2 who in my view have an excellent marketing campaign both on TV and advertising in Birmingham.

MKY661
9th Sep 2016, 07:21
I'd be surprised if MAN escapes unscathed. Real blows for regional flying

According to the MAN thread it's going to be suspended during Jan-Mar Next year.

ATNotts
9th Sep 2016, 07:57
Is airliners.net a reliable source? In amongst the truth there's a lot of uninformed (often unfounded) rumour.

That said if it does happen it would hardly be a surprise, as OltonPete has already noted. The final nail in the coffin is probably the consequences of the Brexit vote which has sent the pound crashing against the US dollar. With so much of the regional market being reliant on price sensitive outbound tourism, because the UK tourist boards don't adequately promote anywhere outside of London, and Edinburgh the inbound market on a once daily service is always going to be weak.

To say that this spells the end to long-haul at BHX, as seems to being hysterically suggested in some postings here, I can only say, does the suspension of some SAS, Brussels Airlines and Lufthansa services in low season, as happens every year, spell the end on business orientated services to / from Europe? Of course not! It simply balances supply with demand.

BHX has had a ridiculous increase in capacity to the Gulf, and something was always going to give. EK undoubtedly put on the 380, so soon after adding the third daily DXB, simply to combat Qatar - QR have retaliated by putting seats on the market at competitive prices, and neither is benefiting.

Spotters sometimes need to be careful what they wish for. Organic growth is always better and more sustainable than meteoric growth.

Tubby Linton

More negativity! But really, how much worse is BHX than say MAN, EDI, LGW, LHR and any other major airports in UK at peak times. Don't even start on Luton! Flying is a pain these days, wherever you fly from / to in UK.

mattjwood
9th Sep 2016, 08:48
The AA rumour doesnt surprise me. With United offering similar prices to EWR with a better onboard service such as seat back IFE its no wonder that passengers are opting for United. I know this was part of my thinking when I booked to go to NYC earlier in the year.

BHXBDB
9th Sep 2016, 11:28
I think we need to be realistic when it comes to BHX and US routes. The demand is not strong enough to support multiple routes and destinations (especially with the pound on the floor). It is not helped that the current options use old airframes with fairly average at best service levels, whilst most of the time prices are high compared to other options.

In addition IAG seem to be expanding Aer Lingus US network ex Dublin which will be an attractive option for current BHX UA/AA passengers especially as you can clear US immigration in Dublin (whilst price and product are probably better too).

Previously thought that BHX has the potential to support more US Leisure routes / frequencies - LAS/SFB etc - in the short term brexit has put an end to this however at some point such routes maybe viable.

Regardless people shouldn't loose sight of how well BHX has done recently in terms of passenger growth and route expansion.

GayFriendly
9th Sep 2016, 20:21
Absolutely no surprise that JFK is rumoured for the chop. Loads in the main have been dismal and apart from a short lived advert in the Bull Ring last year I haven't seen the route advertised at all. It's a shame but clearly the figures don't add up. With multiple daily flights from LHR on better long haul metal and usually much cheaper, NYC from BHX is always going to be difficult. AA's departure should keep UA safe for now.

PK made some comnent last year about farming. I think his crops need very carefully tending after such spectacular growth in airlines last year there were bound to be casualties. I'm not convinced the morning EK will come back after its Nov suspension, to be honest 2 x EK and 1 x QR is enough?

GayFriendly
9th Sep 2016, 20:28
TubbyLinton has a point about BHX. The main check in concourse is dark and when busy is chaotic and reminds me of the old T3 check in at LHR before its refurb. How much longer will FR and DY put up being squeezed into a corner? As for the remaining desks down to the EK check in, there is very little space when a full TCX or TK flight is checking in. Sorry to be negative but it is all starting to look a bit dated. Investment in facilities is equally as important as getting as many airlines in as possible.

OltonPete
9th Sep 2016, 21:24
CATIII-NDB

I don't think it was much of a secret that BHX were chasing a link to Chicago and JFK was a surprise to most.

If BHX is to get another JFK I would like to see Norwegian try on the 738 MAX as they seem to have a good product and probably be able to price it better for the Midlands market.

tubby linton

I used AA131 on 30 June and it was predominantly UK outbound tourists (around 100-110) with business around half full one of which was a regular and I had a long chat with him due to JFK's glorious arrival procedures. He works in Bermuda and used to live in Shropshire and made no comment on BHX or American his wrath was directed at the JFK procedures and staff.

The return flight had around 100-110 as well but quite a few Americans this time some of which moved themselves to premium economy when they noticed empty seats.

This service I doubt would get many repeat customers in Y or y+, as it is basically 1990's. As you say there will be little loss of pax only maybe loss of face or prestige (although that is a bit strong).

I would concur that if travelling BHX-JFK, BHX is least of your problems. I have also departed recently at 0700 on a Monday morning and although packed the airport coped well with security 5 minutes or less although I have to agree the low ceilings and lack of natural light is not great but a walk up the International Pier brightens the mood.

Swiss

Seems the C Series start-up has been pushed back to December with Helvetic and the RJ100 now reappearing in the New Year schedules.

Monarch

They have added a few Tenerife flights with now two on a Saturday and two some Fridays but Gibraltar has a rest from 8/1/17 - 13/2/17

Pete

BHXBDB
10th Sep 2016, 10:41
Having flown in and out of BHX/LHR T4/MANT2 in the past year BHX was easily the best passenger experience. The departure central security search at BHX was particularly easy to navigate compared to MAN T2 which was very slow and disorganised. The kids Skyzone at BHX also helped keep my son entertained which helped kill some time.

That said, agree that the check-in area at BHX is cramped at peak times whilst the size of the immigration hall / baggage delivery could be improved. The E gate system never works for me in arrivals first time - but that could be me. Personally I don't like having to walking through duty free but this seems to be the trend now and I suppose it make sense in terms of revenue generation.

BHX5DME
10th Sep 2016, 16:34
Islamabad—The Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has planned to induct second A-330 aircraft in its Premier Service, launched on August 14 this year on London route, in the next month, official sources said. “All flights of London will be operated on airbus A-330 with the Premier service,” the sources told APP. Commenting on the future plan, they informed that the third airbus was being planned to enroll in the Premier fleet in February 2017. While, the PIA would also be looking for the service expansion to other suggested international routes like Toronto, New York, Birmingham and Beijing, they added.
At present, they said, the Premier service flights from Islamabad to London were being operated on Monday, Wednesday and Sunday, while from Lahore to London on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Commenting on the return schedule, they said, the flights operated from London to Islamabad on Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday, whereas from London to Lahore on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
The aircraft is equipped with 38 business and 269 economy class seats, LCD screens and flight entertainment with 250 channels and flat bed service for business passengers. In addition, a complimentary limousine service is also being extended to the business class passengers at the Heathrow airport for their destinations within a radius of 25 kilometers. Currently, the sources said, the PIA fleet was consisted of 38 aircraft including 11 A-320 Airbuses, five A-310 Airbuses, 11 Boeing- 777, six ATR-42 and five ATR-72.—APP

ATNotts
11th Sep 2016, 07:30
That said, agree that the check-in area at BHX is cramped at peak times whilst the size of the immigration hall / baggage delivery could be improved. The E gate system never works for me in arrivals first time - but that could be me. Personally I don't like having to walking through duty free but this seems to be the trend now and I suppose it make sense in terms of revenue generation.

On the question of space within the check-in area, what percentage of passengers actually check-in at the airport - I would have thought that business passengers, certainly on short haul routes will for the most part check-in on line, and even long haul passengers on short trips will do the same.

Is the check-in system these days largely patronised by the bucket-and-spade brigade, and long haul passengers?

If the trend towards on line check-in continues, is it really worth airports investing more money in the check-in areas for the medium / long term?

If investment in space is required, surely the main areas to address are immigration and baggage reclaim, since passengers are at their most grumpy and irritated on arrival, and will most likely rate their experience on this segment of the journey rather than pre-flight.

As for the Duty Free maze - if I were BHX I'd generate revenue by allowing passengers to pay a £5 fee to bypass the shopping area - leaving the DF area to shopaholics who can't tell a ripoff when they see one!

AvGeek1
11th Sep 2016, 11:18
Does anyone know how Czech Airlines are doing? Loads? Increase in numbers? Returning next year?

jfy1999
11th Sep 2016, 13:52
Does anyone know how Czech Airlines are doing? Loads? Increase in numbers? Returning next year?
Czech reduce to 4 weekly over winter and go back to 5 weekly from March.

OltonPete
11th Sep 2016, 20:41
AvGeek1

Credit: CAA Provisonal figures

May 3422 pax
June 5017 pax

May I believe had 36 sectors which makes it 95 per flight or 79% based on a 34 x 128 seat A319 and 2 x 64 seat ATR72.

June was 116 per flight based on 44 sectors or 89% load factor.

June is based on FR24 for flights operated and May is based on libhomeradar.

There were a couple of 734's in June but not sure of the seating on those so the load factors might be a bit lower.

As jfy999 has stated down to 4 a week now through to next summer.

NYC

Both AA & UA drop to 6 a week from this week with the AA night-stopping again Tuesday.

ATNotts

Love that idea of paying to by-pass Duty Free :). Mrs OP would happily pay £5 for me to by-pass duty free so I can't see how much she spending until it is too late :(

BHXBDB

Just the 10 yes 10 egates working last Monday night!!! First tie I had used them as they didn't bother opening any when arriving back from JFK in July.

Pete

pilot9249
12th Sep 2016, 00:43
"I would concur that if travelling BHX-JFK, BHX is least of your problems. "

As a frequent premium long haul traveler I second some of OltonPete's remarks.

For me facilities in the airport at either end are not so important. The biggest feature is simply being near where you want your journey to start or end.

Minimizing time in transit is very important. That makes nonstops like BHX/JFK really valuable and far more important than the facilities at BHX.

What is different is when you *have* to connect. Then the airport you connect in can make a big difference to your journey.

I don't think a lot of premium passengers connect at BHX, so I don't think the facilities matter that much and the airport is perfectly adequate.

2 cents.

jfy1999
12th Sep 2016, 15:52
Reported on another forum that Stockholm Arlanda will be a new destination for S17 at 3x weekly (Mon, Wed, Fri).

chaps1954
12th Sep 2016, 18:08
Found Manchester to Stockholm plus Oporto and Zagreb to Manchester but not BHX to Stockholm

Icerefugee
13th Sep 2016, 07:15
Reported on another forum that Stockholm Arlanda will be a new destination for S17 at 3x weekly (Mon, Wed, Fri).

I think Monarch should ensure their check in and info systems at BHX are in place, viable and with robust back up before expanding further. Three hour delays across the board on 11/9 because of a "system failure" and no viable back up .... allegedly.

BHX5DME
13th Sep 2016, 12:18
Reports suggest Treasury Minister Jim O'Neill has urged Theresa May to look again at increasing city's airport as a way of tackling London's aviation congestion

Could Birmingham Airport be expanded?

An expanded Birmingham Airport is being considered by Prime Minister Theresa May as a way to tackle the capital's congestion in the skies, according to reports.

The Financial Times says Treasury Minister Jim O'Neill has urged Number 10 to consider the potential for growth at the airport once it is linked with London via high-speed rail line HS2.

Once up and running in 2026, journey times between the airport and and London are expected to be slashed to around 40 minutes.

There would be further incentives once additional high-speed rail lines connecting Birmingham with Manchester and Leeds open in 2033 under the second phase of HS2.

Read More
HS2 chief to join Rolls-Royce

Lord O'Neill's remit covers infrastructure and regional development and his intervention comes as the Cabinet decides whether to expand Heathrow or Gatwick - the latter being the favoured choice of Birmingham Airport's chief executive Paul Kehoe.

Howard Davies' airports review gave those two airports as the best options for expansion but the FT's report said Lord O'Neill had told Number 10 that opting for a big expansion at Birmingham would send a massive signal on rebalancing the British economy.

A decision could be taken next month on this expansion and leaked documents hint that MPs will be given a free vote.

Lord Davies eliminated Birmingham from his review at an early stage and argued there was not a strong case for expanding the airport.

His commission said in 2013 that Birmingham Airport would not be operating at capacity until the mid-2040s and its expansion would lead to an increase in noise for a relatively high number of people, the FT reported.

Read More
Terrorism 'to blame' for flights from Birmingham to New York being scrapped

A statement from the airport said: "A vibrant Birmingham Airport is vital to the growth of our region and we need to maximise the benefits of HS2.

"With HS2's arrival in ten years, Birmingham Airport will become the UK's first high-speed connected airport and its catchment area will be dramatically enlarged into central London, giving it an increasingly national role."

tubby linton
13th Sep 2016, 14:46
I really cannot see the benefit of HS2 to the airport. There are already five trains an hour to London and three of which take about 75minutes to Euston.Fares are also very reasonable if you pre book. I cannot see a slighly quicker journey making any difference to catchment. I would like to see a twenty four hour service though, even if it was a slow train. The problem at the London end is Euston as the underground is not really equipped for anybody with significant amounts of baggage.I have seen no mention of enlarging the Euston underground station in any of the plans for the HS1 terminal. I would personally build a new station adjacent to Kings Cross/ St Pancras for HS2 so that it links to Thameslink, and HS1 and the Eurostar.

ATNotts
13th Sep 2016, 16:13
I would personally build a new station adjacent to Kings Cross/ St Pancras for HS2 so that it links to Thameslink, and HS1 and the Eurostar.

So would I, but we're dealing here with the UK, where the words "transport", "integrated" and "system" are rarely to be spoken (in government circles) in logical order.

crewmeal
14th Sep 2016, 06:32
I really cannot see the benefit of HS2 to the airport. There are already five trains an hour to London and three of which take about 75minutes to Euston.Fares are also very reasonable if you pre book. I cannot see a slighly quicker journey making any difference to catchment.

I couldn't agree more. What is the point of spending millions to save 10-20 mins on the journey to London? Plus the fact they will have to build a station further east of the present International station therefore it will take longer to connect to the airport. HS2 to Manchester and Leeds is another matter. There certainly would be a strong case for that, but not for Birmingham.

crewmeal
14th Sep 2016, 06:34
I think Monarch should ensure their check in and info systems at BHX are in place, viable and with robust back up before expanding further. Three hour delays across the board on 11/9 because of a "system failure" and no viable back up .... allegedly.

Monarch are not the only carrier to have check in problems. BA and United have left thousands stranded recently caused by computer glitches.

CSman
14th Sep 2016, 09:57
I believe the Monarch delay problem was not on the computer side but a wireing problem in the terminal at BHX

ssflyer
14th Sep 2016, 10:30
So the "wiring problem" is out of their control and those pax whose flights were delayed by 3 hours or more (and 5 hours inbound in some cases) will not get compensation under EE rules?
SSF

crewmeal
14th Sep 2016, 16:44
Monarch pay the handling agent, the handling agent pay the airport, whose responsibility it is to maintain the airport infrastructure so I would have thought. As to compo I cannot answer that, let those in the know have a say.

LGS6753
14th Sep 2016, 16:52
Blue Air to Larnaca 3 times per week (Tu, Th, Su) from 26th March 17.

Itchin McCrevis
14th Sep 2016, 18:35
I couldn't agree more. What is the point of spending millions to save 10-20 mins on the journey to London?absolutely, if there is any benefit to BHX from HS2 it will be merely a fortunate by-product, strategically HS2 is about the capacity on existing trunk rail lines being maxed out (even though this does not get anywhere near the media exposure that shortage of London airport capacity gets).

jon01
15th Sep 2016, 05:28
Monarch

Stockholm is Thu, Fri & Sun from April 28th 2017 and is a pm departure, currently on sale from £65 return

Nice is now bookable for s17, but only showing 2pw, was 4pw in s16

Bagso
15th Sep 2016, 12:08
Press this Morning are reporting that a sub committed has been appointed which contains pro RW3 supporters.

The only bright spot was a letter signed by Birmingham MPs and business leaders who at least highlighted the extrodinairy damage this will inflict on regional airports.

Must confess it doesn't really tie in with comments from Lord O Neill.

At least the midlands are more vocal than Manchester !

Navpi
15th Sep 2016, 12:17
No place for Boris Johnson on airport expansion committee (http://news.sky.com/story/no-place-for-boris-johnson-on-airport-expansion-committee-10578688)

hammerb32
15th Sep 2016, 12:29
My prediction - R3 at LHR gets approved as does R2 at Gatwick. No real issues with expanding either of them but it should fall on the airport owners to pay for it or worse case the tax payers of the South East pay for it.

MANFOD
15th Sep 2016, 13:15
.At least the midlands are more vocal than Manchester ! Publicly, you're dead right, they are and they are garnering support. Not sure if MAN are just being indifferent, complacent or aloof - 'we'll be alright chaps' - but good luck to BHX for fighting your corner.

If MAN are taking a more prominent part behind the scenes, it would be nice just to have a little hint that was happening, Two very different approaches from MAN & BHX. If such were the case, it would be interesting to see which, if either, bears fruit.

Skipness One Echo
15th Sep 2016, 15:34
but good luck to BHX for fighting your corner.
What does this mean?

coathanger16
16th Sep 2016, 11:36
New to the forum so bear with me.

Following the recent news that AA are to leave BHX from next year, one just has to wonder what BHX management think the airport can achieve for the region.

In the BBC article below they claim they are optimistic that another airline will fill the BHX-JFk route shortly - any idea which airline that might be?

American Airlines to stop Birmingham Airport flights - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-37320812)

BHX management, local business leaders and MP's seem to have the impression that HS2 will transform the airport by attracting passengers from across the HS2 network. Its hard to imagine that anybody from Manchester will choose to travel to BHX on HS2 as it will take them straight past MAN airport. Crewe is about equidistant between MAN and BHX, so with MAN greater range of flights you would expect people would head for MAN. As for Leeds and Sheffield, assuming HS3 or "Crossrail North" goes ahead, again MAN will be quicker to access the BHX. London - are passengers really going to travel up to BHX when there are 5 airports just as close or even closer. The only region I can see that will use BHX more as a result of HS2 is the east midlands, though I can't imagine that would increase passengers much.

Prime Minister urged to support regional airport expansion - Birmingham Post (http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/news/regional-affairs/prime-minister-urged-support-regional-11891264)

Don't get me wrong, as a local I would love to see the airport grow and attract new routes. I'm just not sure how they hope to achieve it.

Icerefugee
17th Sep 2016, 08:59
Monarch pay the handling agent, the handling agent pay the airport, whose responsibility it is to maintain the airport infrastructure so I would have thought. As to compo I cannot answer that, let those in the know have a say.

Any system needs a viable backup. This did not appear to be the case on 11/9 and led to misinformation. Seat allocation was abandoned but nor all staff knew that. Pax were being given mixed messages. The system is not just about computers....it is about processes and the processes failed. As a humble passenger on the day, the impression was one of chaos and lack of leadership.

Bagso
17th Sep 2016, 20:38
Coat hangar 16

I fear you are right.

Lord O Neill said last week about HS2 bringing the midlands to within 40 minutes of London?

Comparable to many major airport transit times BUT as you say none of those other major airports have 5 airports in the queue ahead of them.

tubby linton
17th Sep 2016, 20:50
Personally I woud initially be trying to achieve a twenty four hour rail service to the airport now using existing lines and running a shuttle from the station that did not halt for three hours during the early hours. A lot of flights depart just after six am so a check-in two hours before would require arriving during this dead period, but as far as I am aware there is no rail service and if you do arrive at the station during this period you have to try and find the mythical bus that connects the two whilst essential maintenance is carried out or hoof it to the terminal with your bags.

j636
17th Sep 2016, 22:15
Wizz Air

Warsaw increases from 2 to 3 weekly
Sofia increases from 2 to 3 weekly (eff 1/1/17)

111KAB
18th Sep 2016, 07:30

Every passenger who was delayed over 180 minutes (outgoing or incoming) on either of the two days due to the computer failure is entitled to 261/2004 compensation.

As you would expect (due to the extent of the problem) MON are, at the moment, refusing all claims indicating that the problem was outside their control.

OltonPete
18th Sep 2016, 10:16
j636

Thank you for that but I can't find Bucharest bookable after 24 March and of course Blue Air increases their service from summer 2017.

flybe

Winter before Christmas sees EDI, GLA & BHD at 8 a day on a Monday only adding in an extra early morning BHX inbound - where does the aircraft go Tuesday-Friday? They all stop at Christmas for a while along with one Hanover and one Stuttgart which is routine for January and early February.

Eurowings

Odd things happening on some sites showing DUS as Germanwings A319 but now shows Eurowings again but seat-map confirms a change from the A320 to A319 and Manchester was the same the last time I looked - seat-map also shows an A319.

Monarch

Gibraltar still showing a winter break 8 Jan - 13 Feb so it appears to be happening.

As for 11/9 in a perfect world Monarch would pay out ASAP and take their revenge on those responsible to try and reduce further alienation of their customers but I suppose it is not as easy as that but makes their TV adverts look a little shallow even if the problem was not of their doing.

Thomson

Summer 2017 Timetable still indicating 7 short-haul based Thursday - Sunday. Alghero still bookable but no sign of Almeria which briefly came on line as it does most years then disappears.

Ryanair

Still no sign of 6 a week Ibiza and double daily Palma per the press release

tubby linton

Agreed in respect of summer but I would go a step further and say the whole issue of public transport has issues. I live 4 miles west and it doesn't matter what time of day it is I can't realistically use public transport comfortably if I have hold bags as it involves a walk, a bus, a walk and another bus or a walk to the train, into the city a walk across down and another train but I suppose it just isn't viable to cover all areas all of the time but like you in respect of the people mover surely in summer the extra cost would be good PR.

American

Loads seem to have increased recently but no doubt no coincidence that base fares have dropped and I assume money can't be made at this level and hence the chop. I don't think anyone can argue with that if that is what happened as it is clear their was a fare-structure change.

Also it is dropping to 4 a week in winter before it ends BHX departures Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday.

Pete

tubby linton
18th Sep 2016, 16:32
Another negative post about Monarch 111 KAB, would you really like to see them out of business? You won your Eu 261 claim but have continued in your vendetta against the airline ever since.
What a thoroughly unpleasant individual you are .

exchanged_gorilla
18th Sep 2016, 17:10
flybe

Winter before Christmas sees EDI, GLA & BHD at 8 a day on a Monday only adding in an extra early morning BHX inbound - where does the aircraft go Tuesday-Friday? They all stop at Christmas for a while along with one Hanover and one Stuttgart which is routine for January and early February.

Could these services be operated by the aircraft that would normally go to EMA? (Isn't EMA closed for runway works on a Monday for a period?)

Cloud1
18th Sep 2016, 17:32
If I were monarch I absolutely wouldn't pay out either. As horrendous as it may have been airlines can't afford to dish out cash willy nilly and at the end of the day a computer failure in the terminal is not outlined in European legislation as payable. It could not at the end of the day be foreseen.....

TartinTon
18th Sep 2016, 18:27
Neither could a volcanic eruption but that ended up at the door of the airlines.....

compton3bravo
18th Sep 2016, 18:44
Quite agree about the comments about KAB111, sounds like he is one of those people who expects everything to work perfectly all the time and nothing will ever go wrong, well son life is not like that, things go wrong, get a life, nobody got hurt and the passengers got to/from their destinations in one piece admittedly a little late.

OltonPete
18th Sep 2016, 20:28
exchanged_gorilla

Yes of course, the timings are only around an hour to an hour and a half later than the first East Mids flights and I doubt that there would be a knock effect to the aircraft as they were due to go back to EMA and the 2nd and 3rd rotations are not operating into BHX by the look of it. In fact the 4th EDI/GLA/BHD on Mondays into EMA do operate as it re-opens at 8pm

Sunday also appears to have an extra GLA, EDI & BHD rotation to BHX, which again also ties in with the EMA runway closure.

Wizz I am told is only a partial release and Bucharest might not be dropped just not finalised.

Pete

nigel osborne
19th Sep 2016, 10:00
Coathanger.

Well Delta do JFK from a number of UK airports. Then you have Norwegian saying they are keen to put their MAX8s when they get them on thinner US east coast routes into Western Europe.

Add to that Jet Blue have said last week they may buy the A321NEO(LR) for UK and other European routes.

So there is potential that might work to BHX with planes 15-20% cheaper to run than 757s..time will tell.

In relation to HS2 one of the Govts transport committees said last week, its opening (Brum to London)in 2026 might be an optimistic time scale..so not something to worry about for some time then !

Govt supporting Birmingham expansion..well every little helps, but useless without proper incentives to airlines and APD going..If LHR gets a 3rd runway not even that will help us that much.

coathanger16
19th Sep 2016, 10:30
nigel

All those airlines do make sense of course, especially with the introduction of MAX8's and A321NEO's. I was just wondering if there was anything more than just guessing (albeit reasoned) as to which airline it might be.

With regards to HS2, it just seems that BHX are planning a large part of their future around HS2 - its been suggested that a new terminal and even a new runway could be built on the HS2 site. My concern is that with how little HS2 will probably benefit BHX, they should by all means include HS2 in their plans, but not centre them so much around it.

Speaking of which, I recall BHX saying they were working on updating their masterplan and that it would be going out to consultation soon. I've asked BHX directly about this on twitter but have yet to receive a response. Anyone got any new on that front?

Memetic
19th Sep 2016, 14:21
I'm hearing a rumor that police boarded a middle eastern airline at Birmingham to remove a passenger wanted in connection with a death. Anyone seen more on that?

eggc
19th Sep 2016, 14:27
I think your quite warm there Nigel, except for maybe DL.

JetBlue would certainly look at the regions IMO with 321NEO's.

Maybe NAX will come first though, with MAX's. I am hearing MAN-EWR is a go'er, maybe BHX is in the frame for similar.

With a lower cost base and more cost effective types it should give JBA / NAX a distinct advantage over the aging 757's the US3 tend to deploy to BHX etc.

Here's hoping...

coathanger16
19th Sep 2016, 15:21
eggc

With the introduction of these NEO's and MAX's transatlantic flights from the regions certainly seems a better deal than with the older aircraft AA/UA.

Both AA & UA have orders for NEO's & MAX's so maybe if JetBlue and NAX deploy them it may force the US3 to do the same?

With the aircraft the US3 use of the BHX-NYC routes is it any wonder people travel to MAN & LHR instead.

hobnobanyone
19th Sep 2016, 15:32
Chatting to a mate with Norski's - BHX to get base ahead of MAN again - but both going to happen. But what we all know about NAS is that nothing is ever straight forward... So expect a new one in EDI first! :)

getonittt
19th Sep 2016, 15:43
I disagree , If I had the choice of NAX/JBU or one of the legacy carriers it would be the latter every time even if it was on one of the aging 757's.

Yes , the lead in prices may be tempting but with the various add on's are you really getting a bargain? And also the pax going transatlantic is rarely point to point so the Alliance carriers have the advantage of hubbing whereas the others will have to organise a whole host of ticket interlining.

NAX maybe having some success from their current PTP routes but we are talking London and to much popular places like NYC/LAX/FLA , it will be much different from the regions.

I hope UA can hang in there but if not and some carrier like NAX is the only alternative then it's BHX via CDG or AMS westbound for me.

AirGuru
19th Sep 2016, 15:43
...Or also at one at CWL in the coming years.

chaps1954
19th Sep 2016, 16:46
The airline that has really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons at Manchester is Thomas Cook
with their service level superior to most of the US legacy carriers and like wise with reliability

Ian

jfy1999
20th Sep 2016, 07:50
Malaga goes 3x weekly from next March with a Thursday flight added.

Icerefugee
21st Sep 2016, 06:54
Another negative post about Monarch 111 KAB, would you really like to see them out of business? You won your Eu 261 claim but have continued in your vendetta against the airline ever since.
What a thoroughly unpleasant individual you are .

I don't see 111KAB stating anything other than fact in this discussion. I don't know what has been said in the past however.
I raised the 11/9 debacle not to pursue compensation (I am not entitled) but to highlight the failure of processes and hopefully the lessons that need to be learned. There is no point in Monarch or any other business looking to expand if they don't have access to appropriate infrastructure to support the proposed services.

FRatSTN
21st Sep 2016, 11:19
New route to Porto, 2x weekly from 26th March 2017

GayFriendly
21st Sep 2016, 20:54
Great news am very happy to see this destination back on the BHX departure boards. It's a lovely city and gateway to some amazing countryside and coast. Good job FR! I wonder if they're getting in before Monarch do?

coathanger16
22nd Sep 2016, 20:49
Anyone know how the Qatar flights are doing? They've been going for 6 months now - is it performing well?

BHX5DME
24th Sep 2016, 13:03
Anyone know how the Qatar flights are doing? They've been going for 6 months now - is it performing well?

Yes Qatar doing well loads are constantly over 200
With 225 inbound this morning
788 has been the ideal aircraft to launch the route I can see s frequency increase in the near future
Emirates loads also holding up

coathanger16
24th Sep 2016, 16:16
BHX5DME - thanks for the update. Are you someone that's "in the know" on these things or is there anyway the average person can find out.

Would be good to see an increase in frequency - likely to be another 788, or a different aircraft?

Hotel Tango
24th Sep 2016, 16:24
Good loads do not necessarily prove that a route is doing well.

jfy1999
25th Sep 2016, 05:34
A United 747 will be doing charters on some sun routes from MAN and BHX this week. I don't know the full schedule but BHX will have flights on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Information from another forum

compton3bravo
25th Sep 2016, 08:53
Could be to do with the Ryder Cup golf in the US this weekend?

ematom1
25th Sep 2016, 09:32
Could be to do with the Ryder Cup golf in the US this weekend?

Flights are being operated between Spain and the U.K,
2 PMI flights
1 LPA
1 AGP
United airlines 744 positioned into PMI already

compton3bravo
25th Sep 2016, 12:20
Definitely not the Ryder Cup then!

eggc
25th Sep 2016, 14:12
Definitely not the Ryder Cup then!

I hope this has nothing to do with MON :/

chaps1954
25th Sep 2016, 14:23
There is a whole series of flights from MAN/BHX/LGW over the week

Ian

eggc
25th Sep 2016, 14:27
There is a whole series of flights from MAN/BHX/LGW over the week
Ian

Indeed there is Ian, some match exactly, or are very similar times to, ZB flights, probably just cover...but 2 x UAL 744 and an Omni 767 is some cover though...??

26/09 UA2281 PMI BHX 1120 1255
26/09 MON951 PMI BHX 1120 1255

27/09 UA2285 PMI MAN 1100 1245
27/09 MON533 PMI MAN 1100 1245

28/09 UA2286 ALC LGW 1210 1350
28/09 MON263 ALC LGW 1200 1340

29/09 UA2281 ALC LGW 1330 1510
29/09 MON263 ALC LGW 1330 1510

chinapattern
25th Sep 2016, 16:42
Suggested elsewhere Rouge to start x3 weekly seasonal YYZ-BHX from 29 June 2017.

coathanger16
27th Sep 2016, 15:21
I'm not sure if I've made this up but I seem to recall talk on a forum (not necessarily here) that there were plans for a reconfiguration of the departure lounge at BHX.

This would have involved extending the air side departures lounge into the 1st floor land side area above check-in.

Has anyone else heard about this or am I just making things up?

GayFriendly
27th Sep 2016, 21:55
Just caught a report on Midlands Today about the very welcone and needed £100 million investment including PK stating that BHX is expecting 17 new routes in the next 18 months. That's quite an exact statement to make, so do we have more exciting times ahead with more new airlines - could some of these be the much rumoured Norwegian base and finally see the runway extension properly come into its own?

Burpbot
28th Sep 2016, 00:06
Maybe the investment will allow for safe car parking for BHX staff? Rather than running the gauntlent of the very unsafe current situation?

Buster the Bear
28th Sep 2016, 09:23
Blue Air adds Larnaca ? Birmingham link in S17 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/269104/blue-air-adds-larnaca-birmingham-link-in-s17/?)

jfy1999
28th Sep 2016, 14:24
Blue Air adds Larnaca ? Birmingham link in S17 :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/269104/blue-air-adds-larnaca-birmingham-link-in-s17/?)
RoutesOnline are getting slower at picking up on things...the BHX website announced this nearly a month ago!

EastMids
28th Sep 2016, 15:18
PK stating that BHX is expecting 17 new routes in the next 18 months

Official press release from BHX says "we’ll welcome fifteen new routes with Jet2" in summer 2017 so I guess that leaves two more...

Centre cities
28th Sep 2016, 15:38
It does not leave 2 if you count Rotterdam, Luxembourg, Toulouse, Cruj, Stockholm, Jet 2 routes (most already served) and Blue to Larnaca (another carrier on an existing destination).

Press releases are a master of spin.

Now if it means destinations not currently served that would be impressive.

Centre cities

ATNotts
28th Sep 2016, 15:46
It does not leave 2 if you count Rotterdam, Luxembourg, Toulouse, Cruj, Stockholm, Jet 2 routes (most already served) and Blue to Larnaca (another carrier on an existing destination).

Press releases are a master of spin.

Now if it means destinations not currently served that would be impressive.

Centre cities
A "route" is a city pair. Additional services on existing city pairs is what Jet2 are offering.

Whether in the wonderful world of spin vs. reality Mr. Kehoe (or his advisers) misunderstood the two terms (giving them the benefit of the doubt) or had deliberately misused them we will find out in about 8 months.

EastMids
28th Sep 2016, 16:14
PK stating that BHX is expecting 17 new routes in the next 18 months

PK "we’ll welcome fifteen new routes with Jet2"

Both from the same source - so either the definition has changed between comments, or if it remains the same 17 minus 15 equals 2, although per Centre cities I accept that even those two may be accounted for, meaning there might be nothing new in what has been said recently.

coathanger16
28th Sep 2016, 19:22
Airport operators typically twist their word to make things sound more impressive than they actually are.

Gatwick is another example of this having claimed they serve over 40 long haul destinations. Whilst technically correct a lot of those routes are to the Caribbean or other typical holiday destinations. In fact only about half are to "proper" (i.e. not holiday) long haul destinations with many only being served seasonally.

canberra97
28th Sep 2016, 21:43
Actually LGW claim they fly to 50 Long Haul destinations not 40 if you read their website.

adfly
28th Sep 2016, 22:06
I don't how a leisure destination isn't a 'proper' long haul route personally. Airlines make money flying holidaymakers to the sun/snow as well as carrying suits from meeting to meeting, if leisure long haul flying was as undesirable as some on here seem to make out then airlines would have ditched it years ago...

crewmeal
29th Sep 2016, 05:24
Maybe Thomson are eyeing up Goa and the Far East direct from BHX? I can't see any new routes left in Spain or Greece.

ATNotts
29th Sep 2016, 07:04
Maybe Thomson are eyeing up Goa and the Far East direct from BHX? I can't see any new routes left in Spain or Greece.
True, but I suppose that if Enfidha and Sharm el Sheik were to be restarted they've almost been away long enough to be classified as "new" in the mind of marketing and spin doctors!

As for differentiating between "proper" and "leisure" long haul routes, i am guessing that what Coathanger meant was IT versus scheduled routes.

getonittt
29th Sep 2016, 09:13
Don't forget these ' new' routes that are due to start in the next 18 months operated by Thomson , Dubai DWC & New Orleans MSY (yes a one off but still a 'new route ' ) Aqaba in Jordan is being offered for 2017 too , not sure if this is a new route from BHX I'm not that clued up.

coathanger16
29th Sep 2016, 10:54
When I refer to the leisure long haul routes not being "proper" routes, its more due to the fact that they are often served only say once or twice a week or through package holidays. Of course airlines make profit on these leisure routes otherwise as you say they wouldn't operate them.

Maybe "proper" isn't the right way of describing them. Whilst I accept there is demand for them, the fact the traffic is mostly people from the UK travelling abroad for holidays and not people travelling in both directions makes them seem less important.

With regards to Gatwick yes they may well say its more like 50, however recent evidence has shown that less than 10 of these are served on a daily basis, most if not all of which are also served from Heathrow.

snowman 1
30th Sep 2016, 15:00
hi all you birmingham lads
has any one noticed the airline flying next years sunday malaga on behalf of thomsons ???
regards
sm1

getonittt
30th Sep 2016, 15:22
Showing as TBA although with those times I would think it would be a based aircraft , if not Thomson maybe sunwing if they are to be used again next year.

snowman 1
30th Sep 2016, 15:43
hi getonittt
not showing TBA on my lap top, try a dummy booking and see for your self.
sm1

OltonPete
30th Sep 2016, 16:19
snowman 1

Just hope it is their A330, I was going to say a long way from home but there again so is Sunwing.

However I would love to see the reaction of Gary & Sandra from Oldbury when they board their flight to Malaga :8

Do you think someone producing the on-line brochure was bored one afternoon and had a map and a dartboard handy and it landed on Tibet?

Pete

getonittt
30th Sep 2016, 17:27
Still showing as TBA to me which means To be Announced. I can't see any mention of Tibet apart from the fact Tibet airlines 3 letter code is TBA !

LBIA
30th Sep 2016, 17:51
Getonittt try doing a dummy booking of a package holiday to the Costa del Sol using the Sunday departure next summer 2017 from either BHX or LBA on the Thomson Holidays website as it shows flights to be operated by "Tibet Airlines", like you say the Thomson flight only website still show airline operator "TBA"

getonittt
30th Sep 2016, 20:29
Yes I know but what I'm saying is that the flight number is the usual TOM7776/7 up until the end of april then it has TBA0000/0000 after that on the Thomson site which means it is to be announced but some goofy default has translated that into Tibet airlines .

jfy1999
5th Oct 2016, 18:59
W17/18 is now being loaded. Currently only the four Canary Island routes (LPA, TFS, FUE, ACE) are showing.

j636
5th Oct 2016, 20:25
Will likely get the typical ski services as well next winter.

Buster the Bear
6th Oct 2016, 17:13
Birmingham airport will soon drop its hugely unpopular drop-off fee which is levied on passengers arriving by car.

According to a report in the Coventry Telegraph it would appear the fee will be dropped in time for the busy summer 2017 season.

The fee was brought in some nine years ago. It will be scrapped as part of the airport’s £100 million investment programme.

At present the charge starts at £1 for the first 10 minutes. But if passengers are tardy in getting out of the car and removing their luggage the fee soon becomes £7 (for 20 mins) and thereafter it rises by a further £5 per minute.

Now Birmingham is set to create a new drop-off car park which will provide free parking for 30 mins and be linked by a covered walkway to the terminal.

Hotel Tango
6th Oct 2016, 18:56
About flaming time! Regulars will have noticed how ridiculous it has become when observing the amount of cars parked in all sorts of nooks and crannies all around the roads approaching the airport. Should the management be congratulated? Most definitely not! They should never have introduced those ridiculous and GREEDY charges in the first place! Now, when will they change the FORCED zig-zag route through Duty Free? :mad:

ATNotts
6th Oct 2016, 20:18
About flaming time! Regulars will have noticed how ridiculous it has become when observing the amount of cars parked in all sorts of nooks and crannies all around the roads approaching the airport. Should the management be congratulated? Most definitely not! They should never have introduced those ridiculous and GREEDY charges in the first place! Now, when will they change the FORCED zig-zag route through Duty Free? :mad:
BHX is no different to many other airports in charging a king's ransom to drop off and pick up - EMA has to take the biscuit - £2 for 10 mins if I recall correctly, then £ 1.00 for every additional minute - and you still have to slalom your way through the rip-off that is tax free shopping, even if you're flying to Scotland!!!!

BHX is indeed to applauded for putting in proper free facilities.

OltonPete
6th Oct 2016, 20:59
Eurowings

The A320 is now operating the early morning and late Evening DUS Monday - Friday and Sunday leaving Saturday morning and afternoon as the CRJ9.

Summer 17 shows A319's DUS and HAM.

easyjet

Saturday Belfast restarts this week but the big talking point is summer 17 - no flights anywhere after 25 April. Is this work in progress, something more sinister or perhaps a complete change in schedule?

Geneva continues daily until 17 April and then a gap until 22 April for the Final flight with Belfast not bookable after 25/4.

Stats

July is out with some interesting figures including I believe record Dubai pax at 64690, some highly suspicious Qatar figures (way too low), some poor NYC loads but Barcelona 35K. I thought Lisbon was decent at 141 per flight and flybe returned some useful figures on Berlin, Stuttgart, Milan, Lyon.

Parking

In this crazy age of Health & Safety has this had anything to do with the decision and as similar to Hotel Tango I have witnessed erratic driving with queue jumping/maneuvering although I have not heard of any major accidents but I have seen the queues back on the A45 slip road. Whatever the reason it sounds very good.

Talking of ancillary income, another cracking week on the Elmdon and terminal side with GA, Freight (AN12 just landed), Air India delivery flight. Not sure what is made from these types of movements but certainly adds to the the numbers.

Pete

Hotel Tango
6th Oct 2016, 22:20
BHX is no different to many other airports in charging a king's ransom to drop off and pick up

It kicked off after the Glasgow incident and there was no need for it. Just taking advantage of a situation to fill their pockets. May I remind you that before Glasgow, drop off and pick up was free of charge at all UK airports.

Btw, I wasn't suggesting that BHX was alone in this, but I have yet to come across an airport on my side of the channel which charges for this.

LandingConfig
7th Oct 2016, 10:00
It kicked off after the Glasgow incident and there was no need for it. Just taking advantage of a situation to fill their pockets. May I remind you that before Glasgow, drop off and pick up was free of charge at all UK airports.

Btw, I wasn't suggesting that BHX was alone in this, but I have yet to come across an airport on my side of the channel which charges for this.
It's worth noting that drop off is free at GLA.

cheesebag
7th Oct 2016, 14:13
Indeed... the airport approach from the A45 is littered with parked cars obviously waiting for the call from the relative to say they are through

INKJET
7th Oct 2016, 18:02
Well you can still kiss and fly at both LGW & LHR both also offer 2 hours free car parking in their long stay car parks, a little easier at LGW as LHR long stay is on the perimeter road !!

Hotel Tango
9th Oct 2016, 14:31
Seems tomorrow's EW1334/1335 is an A320. Perhaps just a one off.

BHX5DME
9th Oct 2016, 14:58
All three Dusseldorfs are now A32A's !!

[url]http://bhxmovements.********.co.uk

Hotel Tango
9th Oct 2016, 15:24
Only mentioned it because the original plan was for the 1334/1335 to continue (at least this Winter) as a CRJ-900. If indeed the middle flight will also be an A320 I'm curious as to how long it will continue. As a regular passenger on the 1334/1335, the loads are rarely adequate for a CRJ-900, let alone an A320.

ib26uk
9th Oct 2016, 20:34
Anyone know when the rumoured Air Canada Rouge Toronto to Birmingham is likely to start?...

OltonPete
9th Oct 2016, 21:01
Hotel Tango

It is a bit odd that they have remained with three services a day in the week, based on the current loads. I have checked a few dates in November and the 320 seems to operate most of the time although some CRJ9's pop up mid week.

Next summer a more realistic with the A319 down to operate but even then on the afternoon this seems to be a lot of capacity to fill.

ib26uk

The rumour was very short season as per EDI & GLA with a late June start with an early September finish. However all academic at present as it has yet to be announced and as we can see things are changing rapidly.

Jet2 winter 17/18

As per the earlier posts it currently stands at 4 x Tenerife, 3 x Arrecife with FUE and LPA twice weekly. Just sounds odd talking about winter 17/8 before winter 16/7 starts.

Thomson summer 17

Back to airline to be confirmed for one based aircraft - Power of PPRuNe? :hmm:

Pete

Fairdealfrank
9th Oct 2016, 23:29
Quote:
BHX is no different to many other airports in charging a king's ransom to drop off and pick up

You probably won't find an airport on your side of the Channel that is privately owned. The UK may be unique in this respect.

Co-incidence? Who knows.

jfy1999
12th Oct 2016, 05:43
Now confirmed on Twitter that BHX-BFS will be axed from the date shown on the website :(

mart901
12th Oct 2016, 06:43
jfy1999

Whereabouts have you seen this?