View Full Version : BIRMINGHAM - 6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Phileas Fogg
23rd Jun 2014, 13:20
Don't forget the complimentary chocolate too!

Ah yes,

I forgot about the Swiss chocolate ... And also that one could buy (non EU) duty frees on the ZRH route.

One flight I'd forgotten to bring my "Miles & More" card for my duty free purchases, with a smile the C/A presented me with her pen as a reminder not to forget my card next time ... Later during the flight I asked of her if I could swap her pen for another beer, she just smiled telling me to keep the pen as she presented me with another beer.

Another flight, obviously a new C/A came round with the duty frees, I asked for "400 Marlboro Gold please", she gave me a confused look asking "Are those cigarettes?", I smiled and replied "You don't smoke do you?" ... she just cracked up laughing :)

getonittt
23rd Jun 2014, 15:24
I'm a little concerned about what will happen with DUS once it becomes fully integrated into GWI in September
Please don't chop DUS

DUS is one of BHX's top year round euro scheduled routes only bettered in terms of pax by the Alliance hubs of AMS /FRA & CDG . The schedule from 18/09/14 :

Germanwings 17 weekly CRJ and Flybe 22 weekly E75.

As you can see that is a serious schedule so no need to worry .

What happened to the berlin schedule was a shame but you must remember that when it was announced it was to the NEW Brandenburg airport and a NEW LH hub.

insuindi
23rd Jun 2014, 16:23
"and a NEW LH hub."

splitting hairs here, but BER would have been a new LH base, not a hub in the sense of FRA, MUC or DUS.

And I agree, BHXDUS is in no danger of disappearing.

All names taken
23rd Jun 2014, 19:19
Berlin
What many don't realize is that Berlin is essentially a leisure route especially from the regions. In fairness it almost seems counter-intuitive.

Just because it is Germany's capital and its biggest city doesn't mean the yield is there.

The gov2gov market makes the Berlin to [insert other capital city] market worthwhile but outside that its a low yield tourist route.

Those kinds of loads on a low yield destination are going to mean only one thing and that is what has happened here.

DUS on the other hand is a totally different proposition as it is the centre of the Rhine Ruhr metropolis and I believe to be Germany's richest city.

If BHX were to lose all its international routes, I wouldn't mind betting that DUS would be one of the last to go. So nothing to worry about in terms of low load factors.
As so many pprune posters continuously say, it's the yield - ie how much money can be made - that really counts.

insuindi
23rd Jun 2014, 19:55
DUS is not quite the richest, but not doubt economically very strong, and in a massive metropole area (Hamburg is actually the richest in terms of inhabitant's average wealth, whereas FRA has the largest GDP of the big German cities - followed by DUS as the next big one - Berlin can usually be found near the end for any of these and other rankings (Top 50: Deutschlands Power-Städte - Wirtschaft - Bild.de (http://www.bild.de/geld/wirtschaft/bruttoinlandsprodukt/top-50-das-sind-deutschlands-power-staedte-31595934.bild.html))

All names taken
23rd Jun 2014, 22:10
So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me that Berlin to UK regional is at best marginal due to the preponderance of leisure flyers?

insuindi
23rd Jun 2014, 23:13
well, based on what is widely known and those stats provided: from foreign regional airports, Berlin is at best a marginal market for business travel. There is very little commerce and nil industry in Berlin (for historic reasons). And to top it off it's a very (!) price sensitive leisure market.

LN-KGL
24th Jun 2014, 21:31
I haven't seen anything about this one here:

Closure of the route between ARN and BHX from 27JUN14
The last flight from ARN will be SK2553, and from BHX SK2554 27JUN14. Passengers will be rebooked via CPH by SAS.

BHX5DME
24th Jun 2014, 22:19
LN-KGL - can we have Norwegian please ?

OltonPete
24th Jun 2014, 22:50
LN-KGL

The flight was always due to end 27 June and up until two days ago it was to restart Friday 29 August back at four a week.

However there were rumours abound that it was to end probably winter although again two days ago it was bookable Wednesday, Friday & Sunday for November onwards with its usual Christmas break. It is still bookable at times for winter but I assume the booking engine is to be updated.

However it was clear that some knew that it was going to end earlier than that but hardly surprising based on load factor alone, then there was the constant starting and stopping of the service and to compound it all Blue 1 announced that are getting rid of at least four 717's (if not the whole fleet).

Hopefully along with Berlin, flybe will crunch some numbers and maybe find an aircraft from an increasing busy fleet.

Pete

ATNotts
25th Jun 2014, 07:38
OltonPete

Hopefully along with Berlin, flybe will crunch some numbers and maybe find an aircraft from an increasing busy fleet

I would say that is increasingly likely. As I suggested a few postings ago, they could hold on to an additional E195 for the winter and use a freed up E175 for daily service BHX-Berlin (SXF, or TXL if they can get decent slots) and BHX-ARN.

Alternatively, with their interests in Scandinavia, BMI Regional could be a candidate for the ARN service - though my personal preference for longevity and commitment to the route would be Flybe.

LN-KGL
25th Jun 2014, 07:39
BHX5DME, I don't think you'll see Norwegian at BHX except from maybe a few odd sun & fun flights from their Spanish bases. Looking at the BHX May numbers, they clearly shows low passenger numbers to typical city escape destinations and high numbers for sun & fun destinations and large European hubs.

Centre cities
25th Jun 2014, 08:38
I really do not think that any airline will be interested in Stockholm. The passengers will simply transit via Copenhagen or another European hub.

Berlin again I can not see been taken on unless Monarch show an interest.

The local aviation community would have put both of these routes at the top of the at risk category.

There is good news and then bad news, that is the nature of the business I am afraid.

Centre cities

Daza
26th Jun 2014, 11:49
Stockholm was doomed to fail. Sadly SAS certainly haven't helped the route. It's flight times in an out of Birmingham have constantly changed, as have its days of operation, it was initially timetabled as a 737-800 6x week far too much capacity then 736 then 717 and it had several breaks summer and winter so no surprise there. A real mess. A CRJ-900 would have been perfect with the loads achieved but I think I am right in saying that SAS don't base them at ARN? Perfect route for an 88 seat Embraer Jet. :ok:
Berlin may be the political capital of Germany but not its industrial powerhouse so apart from leisure links there are probably few industrial links with Birmingham.
Lufthansa at Birmingham did operate to five cities, now its three. I fear Germanwings HAM will be next for the chop and Im sure DUS will suffer too in their hands. :ugh:

Centre cities
26th Jun 2014, 13:07
BE certainly seem to think so hence their return to a daily operation this winter.

Centre cities

jon01
29th Jun 2014, 06:56
Flybe appear to have scrubbed their 3 x weekly summer twilight flights to Palma. The Ibiza and Reykjavik are going ahead on Jun 29, but the night Palma flights have disappeared from the online timetable and booking engine?

OltonPete
29th Jun 2014, 10:14
jon01

Yes Palma twilight appears to have gone, probably as well with the amount of flying scheduled. Two 195's ended up operating yesterday morning with a 175 stuck overnight in Hanover (tech?).

Q400 operated the Paris the morning and they have the Cello RJ85 on standby from Tuesday now that the BACF have received two of their new 190's.

Reykjavik has 58 seats taken or blocked tonight and if accurate a reasonable start.

The 195 is back in the winter schedule but still allocated to Amsterdam rather than Paris.

Pete

OltonPete
29th Jun 2014, 10:49
Monthly passenger figures from the CAA. 2013 in brackets

Average pax per flight and load factors estimated using a SBS report and seat-maps

Aberdeen.........11153 (8671)......55 pax....67%
Belfast City.....21162 (23727).....62 pax....77%
Belfast Int......16581 (12921)....124 pax....79%
Londonderry.......4213 (4616).....124 pax....66%
Edinburgh........23955 (24160).....64 pax....79%
Glasgow..........19500 (17959).....58 pax....73%
Inverness.........3606 (3005)......58 pax....73%
Isle of Man.......4370 (3929)......62 pax....79%
Guernsey..........1715 (3565)
Jersey............5761 (2732)......53 pax....65%
Newcastle..........585 (720).......08 pax....49%
Newquay...........1166 (nil).......36 pax....47%

Some interesting figures here, none more so that the flybe routes where capacity has been slashed on some routes such as Glasgow compared to 2013 but they have actually put more passengers on board. Edinburgh is barely down and the massive reduction in Isle Man from double daily to daily has added 400 pax.

Newquay was a little disappointing as outbound loads seemed to be doing well to start with.

easyjet was increasing Belfast month by month only to slash capacity for high summer. Possibly an indication that yields are weak although this is not supported by the fares most days and even less so now.

flybe have/had nine out of ten consecutive BHD-BHX flights from yesterday fully booked, although I realise summer hols have started (not in the Midlands though). The next three only just had the highest fare available and the next basic ticket is Tuesday evening (and not cheap) but the schedule is maintained at 7 a day in the week.

To add balance, easyjet's BFS high-summer schedule is now

Saturday - nothing down from one until October
Sunday - two
Monday - two
Tuesday - one evening flight down one until September
Wednesday - two
Thursday - two down from three until mid-September
Friday - two down from three until mid-September

Pete

Phileas Fogg
29th Jun 2014, 12:05
The SAS CPH route was/is useful, I used it the once, RIX/CPH/RIX Air Baltic was, perhaps still is, on a codeshare with SAS so it proved a useful route for me to get back from Riga, other trips BHX/RIX/BHX I utilsed KLM.

BHX/ARN/BHX, well ARN ain't CPH, it doesn't have the thru traffic, going back a few years I had a number of business trips either to ARN or VST, one time (never again) I used FR LTN/VST/LTN but all my other trips I routed to ARN from/to BHX with KLM or Lufty, it wasn't such a hardship!

insuindi
30th Jun 2014, 14:24
As a frequent user of BHX-FRA and BHX-MUC I am wondering whether one or both of these routes are not possibly presenting opportunities to BE. Both routes were easily obtainable at around £100 return until a year ago, prices have now hiked to £150 to MUC being a real success (more likely £175-£200 RTN), FRA is impossible to get for less than £130, more likely £150 (which means that when in the Mannheim/Heidelberg area I now often resort to the excellent double daily BE service to/from STR). At those entry prices I see room for another airline, even without the connecting pax.

insuindi
30th Jun 2014, 15:09
HAM-BHX 5/7 (13457, before 123457) eff. 29SEP [4/7 remains eff. 27OCT]

Daza
30th Jun 2014, 15:15
insipid wrote HAM-BHX 5/7 (13457, before 123457) eff. 29SEP [4/7 remains eff. 27OCT]
The beginning of the end? :ugh:
Hopefully Flybe will introduce a morning service to complement their planned evening flight. The route performed very well (revenue wise not always in terms of numbers) for BACon and it operated am and pm ex BHX.
Daza

insuindi
30th Jun 2014, 15:24
It certainly doesn't appear as if 4U intend to put up a fight... despite this being only a small adjustment now, I am now even more inclined to put money onto the fact that 4U will withdraw HAMBHX no later than winter.

jon01
1st Jul 2014, 20:09
Flybe

The first Tuesday night departure to Keflavik appears to have been cancelled, Ibiza is operating

Four flights today operated by Cello RJ85s

Not a good start to the summer season!

BHX5DME
1st Jul 2014, 22:42
KEF re-scheduled for a Wednesday am departure

jon01
2nd Jul 2014, 04:51
The Tuesday night (01-06-14) Keflavik is now showing as a Titan B737-300, departing 13 hours late!

crewmeal
2nd Jul 2014, 05:06
With all the hype about the new route I guess a few people will be eating their words.....

The inaugural flight to Reykjavik was especially important as it marked the first scheduled service
to the Icelandic airport from Birmingham and the flight was welcomed at Keflavik by a traditional
water arch. Amongst the passengers was a group of high profile UK journalists accompanied by
flybe’s Routes Director, Fred Kochak who, on arrival, together with the crew and fellow travellers,
was honoured to be greeted by the UK Ambassador to Iceland, His Excellency Mr Stuart Gill

Judging by Flybe's schedule, they obviously aren't interested in onward connections. My guess the route will be short lived when Icelandic start next year.

ATNotts
2nd Jul 2014, 07:44
Judging by Flybe's schedule, they obviously aren't interested in onward connections. My guess the route will be short lived when Icelandic start next year

They were never after connecting business, it was always aimed at leisure travellers. I was extremely surprised to see Reykjavik in the Winter schedule, and absolutely agree FlyBe won't last on the route far beyond the opening of the Icelandair service next February.

Phileas Fogg
2nd Jul 2014, 07:57
Flybe might be referring to it as Reykjavik but from what I've been reading they're actually operating to/from Keflavik which is a totally different airport and 50km from Reykjavik!

If so then they might at least be honest and refer to it as "Reykjavík-Keflavík" so passengers actually know which airport they're travelling to/from.

ATNotts
2nd Jul 2014, 08:15
Flybe might be referring to it as Reykjavik but from what I've been reading they're actually operating to/from Keflavik which is a totally different airport and 50km from Reykjavik!

If so then they might at least be honest and refer to it as "Reykjavík-Keflavík" so passengers actually know which airport they're travelling to/from

Take your point, but the same could be said about Arlanda (40km or so from Stockholm) and Stansted (50km plus from London).

As a matter of interest, do any international flights operate to REK these days?

Makes BHX approx 10km from the city look brilliant!!!

insuindi
2nd Jul 2014, 08:30
KEF is the international airport for Iceland, and referred to as Reykjavík by all international airlines serving the island.

Phileas Fogg
2nd Jul 2014, 09:28
KEF is the international airport for Iceland, and referred to as Reykjavík by all international airlines serving the island.

Well the national international airline, just for one, recognise it as being exactly what it is.

07:45 Reykjavik - Keflavik International (KEF)
11:45 London - Gatwick (LGW)

EGBE0523
2nd Jul 2014, 10:53
My understanding is that REK is the "domestic" airport for Iceland but also has flights to Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Three Fokker F50s on the ramp when I was there a couple of weeks back, It is very much a city airport by location.

chris789
2nd Jul 2014, 12:53
When an airline only has one option of airport they can fly to; an airport which is the primary airport built for the city the airline is advertising, then I don't believe there is an obligation to mention the airport in their marketing. Somebody from the UK has no airport alternative anyway (unless you get a hugely expensive summer-seasonal flight via Vagur).

BHX5DME
2nd Jul 2014, 22:32
BHX showing as a destination on their website along with MAN and LBA

Something brewing ?

whateverg
2nd Jul 2014, 22:53
I can see Manchester but not the other 2?

LAX_LHR
3rd Jul 2014, 05:51
I can see Manchester but not the other 2?

It was I that originally noticed this, BHX and Leeds (as well as MAN and GLA) are showing in the 'potential destinations' mailing list on a certain page.

MAN is actually in the home page destination list.

NOP
3rd Jul 2014, 07:47
The first Tuesday night departure to Keflavik appears to have been cancelled

Was a fairly decent booked load outbound from what I can gather, inbound not so

bhx bod
3rd Jul 2014, 14:24
From what I can make out the flight was not cancelled but,rescheduled for Wednesday morning.A Titan(AWC)B733 was sub-leased to operate the flight.This would suggest either an aircraft going tech or just not enough aircraft available!!
I would hope it is the former but with the ambitious schedule from BHX it could get bit a tight as we get into the busy peak summer period.
One for OP,according to the current schedules how many aircraft are actually stationed @BHX in relation the number required for the summer timetable,if that makes sense??

Edit.Sorry I have just noticed that this has been previously posted regarding the flight cancellation!!

OltonPete
3rd Jul 2014, 18:41
bhx bod

Correct Titan operated the Reykjavik on Wednesday and I don't know what the problem was, as plenty of serviceable night-stopping 175's and at least one 195 around as well - crewing, weather?

The summer schedules and for that matter winter ones are tight. 12 based aircraft counting the DUS night-stopper (will end for high-summer soon) with the 10am Cologne the first departure for that aircraft giving some cover to the early morning departures.

The schedule is impressive to say the lease or I suppose some would say bonkers with the Dash 8 in the fleet. However things are back on track today with Cello only operating Knock although the 195 has operated six sectors.

Vueling

Only a wild guess - LBA, MAN & BHX - BCN = Monarch. Possible code-share although the last attempt didn't do that well or did it actually do anything. See this link re this stalled effort - anyone know why this didn't happpen

'It's not some grand plan': Mantegazza on changes at Cosmos and Monarch - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2011/06/15/37374/fabio+mantegazza+on+changes+at+cosmos+and+monarch.html)

Pete

LAX_LHR
3rd Jul 2014, 18:54
Only a wild guess - LBA, MAN & BHX - BCN = Monarch

Could possibly be, however MAN has made it to the booking page so could well be a stand-alone flight. Theres a large gap to plug between Cardiff and Edinburgh!

Proconn
4th Jul 2014, 18:51
I'm flying to Dalaman in september with Thompson and we fly at 07.00 on a
Thursday morning does anyone know what model aircraft it will be please:8

BHX5DME
4th Jul 2014, 19:10
It should be a real aircraft not a model one !

Sorry couldnt resist !!

It is a 737-800

Proconn
5th Jul 2014, 07:08
Thanks for that BHX5DME :)

Fairdealfrank
6th Jul 2014, 21:58
My understanding is that REK is the "domestic" airport for Iceland but also has flights to Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Three Fokker F50s on the ramp when I was there a couple of weeks back, It is very much a city airport by location.

It's also very small, FI's hub operation wouldn't fit in it!

LN-KGL
6th Jul 2014, 22:28
For those of you that want to learn more about the Reykjavik city airport (ICAO code BIRK), this is a useful link (airport chart on page 21):
http://ww2.caa.is/media/PDF/AD_2_BIRK.pdf

crewmeal
10th Jul 2014, 16:44
Congratulations on EDI achieving a service with that carrier based in AUH. I can't help feel that there is nothing left on the table for BHX from Gulf carriers anymore. I firmly believe it's the old old story of BHX being stuck in the middle of two major airports with barely 100 miles between them. Without digging up old threads what has BHX got to offer? All I can see is 3000 meters with a few empty stands.

HoneyBunny
10th Jul 2014, 22:11
Crewmeal.

It's that old chestnut, but definitely true, in fact I think it applies not only to the airport but to the city of Birmingham as a whole.

HoneyBunny

getonittt
11th Jul 2014, 09:38
What happens in EDI has no bearing on BHX whatsoever, we had this before when QR started. It has more effect on the ' 2 major airports ' we are stuck in the middle of if anything . This time next year EDI 'may' be in a different country. You may want to congratulate the AUH airline and EDI on the GLA, NCL , MAN ,LHR threads but yet you chose to do it on the BHX thread .

nigel osborne
11th Jul 2014, 15:45
Crew meal,

Perhaps not quite as desperate at BHX yet and we expect a 3rd EK service next year.

Also we have the first China Southern charter in a few weeks which will hopefully be expanded, and Air Transat are adding more A330 flight to Toronto next year.

However agree over all we often suffer being too close to London and lesser extent Manchester,

Honey Bunny, feel free to take swipes at BHX if that what floats your boat however your attack on the city itself is ludicrous.This is supposed to be an aviation forum.

If you know your economics Birmingham is exporting more goods to China than any other city in the UK outside London, and has one of the fastest growing economies.Jaguar Landrover is probably one of the most successful companies in terms of creating new jobs and exports in the UK..As is Cadburys.

I could go on.. but, apologize as its an aviation forum, but thought Id defend my city after such comments !

Nigel

LAX_LHR
11th Jul 2014, 16:04
Perhaps not quite as desperate at BHX yet and we expect a 3rd EK service next year.

Also we have the first China Southern charter in a few weeks which will hopefully be expanded.....

But I think this is what Crewmeal was talking about. You hope EK add a 3rd daily, you hope Cassia Travel add more charters, and the point is, yes, both could happen, but, until there is concrete news, its just a bit quiet.

GayFriendly
11th Jul 2014, 17:15
I have to agree with crewmeal, long haul developments at BHX at the moment are all just airy fairy if's and maybe's. Apart from a 'blink and you miss them' series of flights to Beijing in a couple of weeks, there is nothing at present in terms of long haul airlines and destinations to show for the massive capital investment in the runway extension either this summer or next. There may be more China flights next summer but as LAX_LHR says there is nothing concrete in new long haul in sight.

Yes, getonittt, agreed, EDI is a different airport to BHX and what happens there has little bearing on BHX. But fact is EDI have secured QR, the AUH airline, AC Rouge, US Airways and an expanded schedule from UA in less than 12 months and now overshadows the long haul network at BHX. I should imagine EDI management are very hungry for a China route and I wouldn't be surprised if they get it. However apart from that and the return of DL, I can't see much further viable long haul opportunities from EDI right now.

I'm not saying that BHX should have all these new airlines and routes as at EDI but that is significant and very healthy long haul growth which right now is not happening at BHX. I think that BHX for too long has focused on being an overspill airport for LHR, instead it should have been marketing itself as a stand alone facility with its own many airport, locational and regional market strengths

Ending on a positive note though, BHX pax figures are going up, new routes by BE seem to be doing well, Icelandair are coming next year and it's still a great airport to fly to/from!

paul sheppard
11th Jul 2014, 17:46
It may well be that the airport is holding back on announcements until the day of the official opening of the runway extension!
This would give increased publicity if new route announcements come about!
Here's hoping .....

crewmeal
11th Jul 2014, 17:51
But fact is EDI have secured QR, the AUH airline, AC Rouge, US Airways and an expanded schedule from UA in less than 12 months and now overshadows the long haul network at BHX.

Well said GF I couldn't have put it better. Of course EDI is completely different to BHX. I wasn't suggesting otherwise. What I was congratulating EDI on is a second Gulf route, especially when GLA is just down the road. Given that the tourism and sporting markets at EDI are exceptional I wouldn't be surprised to to see other long haul carriers arrive there in future. Whether EK 'eat humble pie' regarding 'going the wrong way' that is being currently debated on the EDI forum remains to be seen.

Paul indeed here's to hoping!

Hotel Tango
11th Jul 2014, 18:13
I have to say that strictly from a PAX point of view I don't particularly relish the idea of BHX expanding much more unless a third roomy and naturally lit 3rd terminal is built. The existing and dire (herding-cattle-into-one-large-and-dark-pen) facility is close enough to capacity for my liking as it is now.

LGS6753
11th Jul 2014, 18:25
I've departed from the international pier a few times and find it very amenable - unlike the windowless shopping precinct before it.

nigel osborne
11th Jul 2014, 19:00
Hotel Tango,

Would you believe the current capacity for the terminal is 18 million, and we are on less than 10 at present !

They really want to develop the old Eurotub built for BA and now incorporated into the one terminal. However it was built for BA hub and spoke and its not possible to convert at reasonable cost BHX claim.

So they will have to demolish it when /if they can afford too. At present the LCC use it most BE/FR.

Nigel

nigel osborne
11th Jul 2014, 19:19
LAX-LHR..

Crikey wasn't long ago when people on here were bleating how poor BHX EK was doing and that it was rubbish that Air India would be starting , now look at their figures !

Icelandair WILL be starting a new route from BHX.

Air Transat ARE adding more capacity next year.

One of our long haul airlines ARE going daily very soon.

BHX passenger figures ARE increasing at a good pace and now just below their peak all time peak .

Fly Be HAVE expanded considerably in recent months out of BHX

Monarch HAVE just added 2 new winter sched routes for this winter.

Thomson ARE increasing their long haul flights out of BHX from this winter.

Hope that helps.

Nigel

LAX_LHR
11th Jul 2014, 19:34
One of our long haul airlines ARE going daily very soon

Which one is that? Only 2 less than daily long hauls (excluding Thomson), which is Air India and PIA. Again, nothing concrete (ei bookable) about them increasing. Last I read, BHX has said it hopes AI will go daily and possibly add a westbound tag? If that's what you are eluding to?

Air Transat ARE adding more capacity next year.

But still refuse to add even a 2nd weekly? Surely questions have to be raised why this is and just how long can a 1 weekly offering be sustainable?

Hotel Tango
11th Jul 2014, 21:25
LGS, yes the pier itself is fine and generally I escape to it as soon as possible. On the down side, once on the pier there is only one departure info screen and there is little in the way of amenities. The only refreshments/snacks outlet is closed more often than open every time I use the airport. If you want a meal it's a case of having to eat in the dark and noisy dungeon they call a departure lounge :yuk:

Nigel, my point exactly. Already now at 10 million it can get pretty horrid at peak times.

Matt995
11th Jul 2014, 21:50
talking of long haul.....

It’s appears that PIA how now reduced their flights out of Birmingham with only 3 weekly flights, Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday, with the Saturday flight no longer showing in their booking engine for at least the rest of the year. :rolleyes:

At least we get the Thomson 787 from next friday, replacing the 767 on the Montego Bay, Cancun and Orlando Services!

BDS10
11th Jul 2014, 21:51
"Dark and noisy dungeon"?? We must fly from different airports!!

Fairdealfrank
11th Jul 2014, 21:53
Crikey wasn't long ago when people on here were bleating how poor BHX EK was doing and that it was rubbish that Air India would be starting , now look at their figures !
Wasn't rubbishing BHX at the time, was unconvinced that AI would get its act together (would have made the same comments if AI was planning MAN, NCL, GLA, EDI, or anywhere else). Made no comments about EK at BHX.

Was proven wrong, spectacularly so as it happens, and had to eat my hat. BTW, it tasted good, but not that good.

peterhr
12th Jul 2014, 07:04
"Dark and noisy dungeon"?? We must fly from different airports!!every time I fly from there I get dismayed at how much more of the seating area has gone over to retail or reserved by eateries - it's time they put in shared brand agnostic 'food hall' style seating.

Does anyone know what the "comfort time" is for the seats in the departure time (the designed in time before the user becomes uncomfortable and gets up to walk around ... to the retail)

Hotel Tango
12th Jul 2014, 08:41
BDS10, I guess you're a FlyBe or Ryanair pax then ;) The former Eurohub pier is much more pleasant to use as at least it offers decent facilities and a view of the outside world. The main departure lounge, sorry I mean shopping mall, is windowless.

Centre cities
12th Jul 2014, 19:18
PIA on a regular basis reduce from 4 to 3 and did so a few weeks ago as well. The timetable then shows the flight not operating for the rest of the year but usually changes.

It may be different this time but I doubt it.

Centre cities

Centre cities
14th Jul 2014, 15:12
Extra TCX aircraft summer 2015.

Centre cities

Daza
14th Jul 2014, 16:21
Great news the article here Thomas Cook Airlines Offers More Destinations And Flights From Birmingham Airport in 2015 - Birmingham Airport (http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/meta/news/2014/07/thomas-cook-airlines-offers-more-destinations-and-flights.aspx)

New destinations Lesbos and Kalamata and along with TOM they also add Djerba :ok:

OltonPete
14th Jul 2014, 20:28
Good news re Thomas Cook especially the destinations chosen.

KLM

Not so good news as KLM seem to be slashing winter capacity across the UK.

BHX loses a flight - KL1423 which is the 10.15-10.45 arrival but KL1421, 31 & 35 are 800's. Disappointingly 1425 is an F70 and if had been a 190 BHX would have been up.

It is only about 30 seats down a day on last winter and this loss will be dwarfed by flybe's increase of 40 seats per flight when the 195 starts on all three weekday flights.

Manchester goes from 6 to 5 as does EDI, Glasgow from 5 to 4 and Heathrow has seven Hoppers (2 x 190 & 5 x F70) our f 12 flights

Pete

VickersVicount
14th Jul 2014, 20:49
The Middle East effect on KLM ?

getonittt
14th Jul 2014, 21:40
That surprises me , losing the KL1423, that is usually the connection back to BHX if you have arrived into AMS from an eastbound transatlantic flight. I would have thought if anything it would be the KL1425 that would go.

OltonPete
15th Jul 2014, 17:10
Source: CAA

June pax 960779 up 1.8% - rolling year 9409976 +5.2%

ATM's 8582 up 1.4% rolling year 86948 up 4.8%

Excellent figure and although that statement might seem odd based on other UK airports you can only fill the seats you have and Ryanair took many out during June on Dublin and Malaga etc.

The only disappointment is long-haul which was virtually to a route terrible but going east it is the low season and most airports suffered.

Pete

Matt995
16th Jul 2014, 20:47
Thomson's first dreamliner flight into Brum is showing as a positioning flight from Gatwick tomorrow, expected at 1450, and should be G-TUID :)

Brizeguy
17th Jul 2014, 17:27
Snowplough in front of Eurojet hangar doors again?
I hope the soon to be new occupier is ready for the dated tactics used by BHX.

JennyB
18th Jul 2014, 00:22
Snowplough in front of Eurojet hangar doors again?

Putting the snowplough in front of the hangar doors after the horse has bolted?

Centre cities
18th Jul 2014, 16:49
I think that the powers that be have been well aware of the situation with the hanger for some time and that all is in hand.

Centre cities

OltonPete
18th Jul 2014, 22:18
Monthly passenger figures courtesy of the CAA (provisonal)

Some gaps due to IT figures mixed in with schedule figures I believe on Arrecife, Fuerteventura, Tenerife and Hanover is just missing.

Again thanks to a local SBS log for the daily movements making my life easy with working out the average pax per flight. Load factors are estimated and mainly based on maximum economy pax which probably means some are higher if the middle seat is closed off for business pax.

Although the Air India is a bit of a shock and other long-haul flights down, the rest load factor wise are not too bad. EK at 73% up from 72% in May and PIA was over 70% and even TK managed over 80%.

Some very high load factors on schedules such as CDG, FRA and CPH.

Brussels........10609 (8731)..... 46 per flight..58% load factor
Dubrovnik.......4312 (3196).....127 pax.......76%
Split..............3288 (2748)......126 pax......73%
Larnaca..........7438 (7538).....173 pax.......81%
Paphos.......... 2758 (4354).....162 pax.......76%
Copenhagen... 8686(6710).......94 pax........81%
Avignon...........502 (539)........63 pax........80%
Bergerac.........506 (534).........63 pax.......72%
Bordeaux........2257 (1758).......63 pax...... 74%
Brest..............378 (479).........47 pax........61%
La Rochelle......439 (577).........55 pax........62%
Lyons............3845 (3037).......74 pax........84%
Montepellier.......nil (192)......................
Nice...............5700 (6678)......130 pax.......70%
Paris CDG......31915 (31046)....99 pax.........84%
Perpignan.........486 (2601).....61 pax..........78%
Toulouse.........2850 (960)......55 pax..........68%
Berlin TXL.......3432 (4845)......95 pax.........69%
Cologne..........2481 (nil).........43 pax.........54%
Dusseldorf.....17242 (16200)....56 pax.........63%
Frankfurt.......25177 (24345)..114 pax.........77%
Hamburg.........2837 (2977).....57 pax..........64%
Hanover........figures not provided
Munich..........14442 (13766)...92 pax.........76%
Stuttgart........5975 (3648).....59 pax..........67%
Gibraltar..........3799 (3131)....146pax.........84%
Cork...............5719 (6115)......48 pax.........66%
Knock.............2584 (2410).....43 pax.........55%
Dublin............49115 (44887)..123 pax.........82%
Shannon..........3973 (2523).....33 pax.........66%
Waterford........2153 (1600).....60 pax.........77%
Bergamo............nil (3698)
Florence..........3718 (nil)........72 pax.........81%
Milan MXP........8128 (4781).....68 pax.........77%
Rome FCO........9185 (9113)...177 pax.........84%
Trieste...............nil (2266)
Venice.............5432 (5196)...160 pax.......75%
Malta..............3268 (2689)...182 pax........96%
Amsterdam.....43208 (39496)..88 pax.........67%
Faro.............19903 (18488)..181 pax.........87%
Oporto...........2232 (nil).........66 pax.........75%
Funchel..........2611 (2131)...145 pax.........76%
Alicante........31427 (26911).,.163pax.........91%
Almeria...........3838 (2843)...148 pax.........78%
Barcelona......17079 (15965)..182 pax.........82%
Girona...............nil (1527)
Ibiza.............11437 (13052)...143 pax.......76%
Mahon...........5410 (5563)......159 pax......78%
Malaga.........24626 (27529)...187 pax........92%
Murcia...........5271 (5165)....165 pax.........87%
Palma...........24228 (22280)...159 pax........90%
Reus.............2384 (3470)....149 pax....... 79%
Arrecife........13500 (10663) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Fuerteventura 7697 incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Las Palmas.....6905 (7568)...161 pax.........79%
Tenerife.......17541(14820) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Gothenburg....1516 (1286).....32 pax.........64%
Arlanda.........2413 (2066).....101pax.........85%
Reykjavik.........71 (o)..........36 pax........40%
Zurich..........9188 (8956).....77 pax.........76%
Bodrum.........3855 (3645)...154 pax.........74%
Dalaman........8120(9816)..135 pax.........65%
Istanbul......10609 (10857)..121 pax.........81%
Kaunas.........3194 (3124)...177 pax.........94%
Bydgoscz......4257 (4409)...177 pax.........94%
Gdansk........2762 (2878).....173 pax.........91%
Katowice.....3238 (3812)....180 pax.........95%
Krakow........3233 (2814)...180 pax..........95%
Bratislava....4140 (4450).....173 pax.........91%
Hurghada......1259 (0).........157 pax.........74%
Sharm.........4638 (4889).....186 pax.........87%
Ashkhabad....3276 (3058)...126 pax..........68%
Dubai.........35203 (37589)..293 pax.........73%
Delhi...........2335 (nil)
Amritsar.......2135 (nil).......131 pax..........51%
Islamabad....5837 (8232).....243 pax.........71%
Toronto.......1964 (1806).....246 pax.....90%
Newark........8778 (9389)....146 pax.........87%

Pete

CabinCrewe
18th Jul 2014, 22:59
in all honesty I dont think anyone is surprised by the early Air India figures....

fivejuliet
18th Jul 2014, 23:22
33 pax average per flight to Shannon doesn't sound right - it's operated by a mix of ATR72 and 42 compared to mostly just 42's last year

Una Due Tfc
19th Jul 2014, 00:34
I had no idea BHX-DUB was the busiest route! I'd be interested to know what % of those pax continue across the Atlantic

Ian Brooks
19th Jul 2014, 06:40
I think dublin is busiest route

Ian

ATNotts
19th Jul 2014, 08:48
I had no idea BHX-DUB was the busiest route! I'd be interested to know what % of those pax continue across the Atlantic

I would guess a comparatively small percentage, as most flights won't connect with transatlantic departures, and of course Ryanair don't interline with anyone.

Most UK/Ireland/UK is leisure point to point business - VFR passengers in particular.

OltonPete
19th Jul 2014, 10:18
fivejuliet

Don't really know what to say other than they are provisional.

The service is double daily therefore 120 movements. The SBS log I use doesn't show any inbound cancellations although there could be outbound ones but not more than one or two.

Therefore the average pax figure is correct based on the CAA figures and the SBS log. However I have made a bit of howler with the load factor as it is 60% and not 66%.

The service is all ATR42 except for the Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday evening. However an ATR72 operated some mornings making the total ATR72 rotations 38 and ATR42 82. Total seats available 6672.

ATNotts

I was looking to go to New York in April and the BHX-SNN-JFK was consistantly coming out as one the cheapest routings unfortunately I was living in cloud-cuckoo land and basing my memories on 2012 prices and missed the reasonable fares expecting something better to come along - I ended up in Florence on flybe :ooh:.

Ironically Ryanair slashed capacity on BHX-DUB in June with Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday halved so it could have been a lot better.

Here are the 2013 annual figures

Dublin 560059
Dubai 499573
Amsterdam 459701
Paris CDG 365697

July Figures

Unusual year with Thomas Cook and Thomson adding virtually nothing to high-season. The 788 will add a few more seats to long-haul but other than that only Monarch with their night flights, Balkan Holidays, the flybe night-flights and extra mid-week French routes add to capacity although the latter really only replace business frequncies.

Turkish have the 321 operating today (and yesterday) and Aegean Athens tonight is upgraded to the 321 but other than that very little. The million pax figure should be easily passed based on flybe's increase over 2013 and Monarch operating 7 A321's compared to 4 last year.

Air India

The only surprise in respect of June was how low it was - it was always going to struggle (start of the monsoon season). Very noticeable how close AI113 was to MH17 on Thursday I bet that shook the crew up when they found out.

Pete

OltonPete
19th Jul 2014, 13:46
CAA for the passenger figures, 2013 in brackets and sectors from an SBS log

Aberdeen........11572 (9171).......54 per flight......67%
Belfast City....22326 (23484)......64 per flight......79%
Belfast Int.....14893 (11938).....122 per flight......78%
Londonderry......4448 (4492)......124 per flight......65%
Edinburgh.......24717 (24544)..... 66 per flight......81%
Glasgow.........21149 (17939)......59 per flight......75%
Inverness........3608 (3349).......60 per flight......75%
Isle of Man......4606 (4006).......59 per flight......76&
Newquay..........3361 (nil)........56 per flight......72% - just for Cornishsimon;)
Newcastle.........671 (743)........08 per flight......50%
Guernsey.........1850 (3221)
Jersey...........5836 (4695).......57 per plight......72%

These really are quite significant in flybe's case with literally 1000's of seats taken out of the BHD, EDI, GLA and IOM markets but what has happened in some instances - pax have gone up.

The basic fare on these routes has not gone down but unfortunately even I have not had the time to monitor the other fares. Therefore I have no idea if some yield has been sacrificed to get bums on seats.

I wonder how close Newquay came to getting a winter run? It was loaded in at one point but without fares before it was removed.

Pete

cloudier
19th Jul 2014, 15:12
Cork figures strange up over 5000 pax? only 619 last year?

OltonPete
19th Jul 2014, 16:04
cloudier

Typo - have amended it to 6115 so it was actually down.

A one point it was flying with consistent growth with a third flight added some days in the past. However double Shannon seems to be the new flavour of the month or season.

Pete

cornishsimon
19th Jul 2014, 19:54
72% for first season BHX-NQY is brilliant in my opinion, iv no doubt this route will return for summer 15 after seeing this. Prices for the remainder of the run remain high.

I think it might of been kept for winter if LGW-NQY hadn't been returning to three daily until January 15. As NQY has one based Q which will operate LGW x3 and MAN x1 doesn't leave any scope for the single based aircraft to operate it.

Thanks for the numbers Pete ;)

cs

CabinCrewe
19th Jul 2014, 21:38
I think the original GLA-NQY load was higher than that it it ultimately got pulled. Winter is a whole different ball game to summer also

78Whiskey
20th Jul 2014, 00:54
Waterford figures seem good. Any idea if 4 weekly is still on the cards for the winter season? It seems to drop down to 3 per week at the end of October.

mart901
20th Jul 2014, 07:35
78whiskey

I agree, BHX-WAT doing really well, I think I gets a certain percentage of people who head onto the train at BHX for London with the lack of LTN/SEN. Still seems to be 3x weekly, hope that won't affect it.
Sadly MAN-WAT appears to be ending in Oct, although originally dates didn't go past Sept, it may be under review but looks like the end, for winter anyway.

cornishsimon
20th Jul 2014, 08:16
Wasn't GLA-NQY operated by Logan for flybe on the S340 ? Rather than the Q ? So 34 seats v 78 ?

I agree however that GLA-NQY is missing from the NQY schedules and also EDI being just once a week could be increased.

cs

HoneyBunny
20th Jul 2014, 23:55
Crew meal,

Also we have the first China Southern charter in a few weeks which will hopefully be expanded, and Air Transat are adding more A330 flight to Toronto next year.

However agree over all we often suffer being too close to London and lesser extent Manchester,

Honey Bunny, feel free to take swipes at BHX if that what floats your boat however your attack on the city itself is ludicrous.This is supposed to be an aviation forum.

If you know your economics Birmingham is exporting more goods to China than any other city in the UK outside London,and has one of the fastest growing economies.Jaguar Landrover is probably one of the most successful companies in terms of creating new jobs and exports in the UK..As is Cadburys.

I could go on.. but, apologize as its an aviation forum, but thought Id defend my city after such comments !

Nigel

Sorry to go back a few pages but I'd like to respond to Mr Osborne.I think you'd better start using the name George as you seem well versed on the UK's economics!!
Firstly you agree at my 'swipe' at bhx being piggy in the middle!

Second, yes correct it's an aviation forum well spotted.You were the one spouting the cities industrial success.

Thirdly were did I attack Birmingham? To expand on what I meant by my comment, that the area in general has been all to often overlooked in favour of areas North and South.

HoneyBunny

BHX5DME
21st Jul 2014, 15:46
Just a reminder BHX's first China Southern flight to Beijing is tommorow (22nd) as is the official runway extention opening.

nigel osborne
21st Jul 2014, 20:08
LOL Hunny Bunny,

Our first China Southern tomorrow and Brum chosen as the main HS2 construction base and training school with £1.5 billion investment today over 5 other bids. ..things are good and getting better in Brum.:ok:

Nigel

bhx bod
21st Jul 2014, 20:10
CZ3001 is airborne and showing as a 0635 arrival @ BHX:D

compton3bravo
21st Jul 2014, 20:31
Wouldn´t get too excited about HS2 Nigel sorry it isn´t going to built - have a level 10 Euros on it!

j636
22nd Jul 2014, 01:02
Scanned back a few pages and saw talk of BE possibly taking up TXL, well 5 weekly starts in October. Apologies if already posted.

ATNotts
22nd Jul 2014, 06:57
compton3bravo

Wouldn´t get too excited about HS2 Nigel sorry it isn´t going to built - have a level 10 Euros on it!

We don't need to turn this thread into an HS2 debate (again) but for what it's worth, for once there seems to be real momentum behind this infrastructure project, with support across the political spectrum.

So, despite the NIMBYs, I reckon it will go ahead, however with the usual delaying tactics from the usual suspects, I can't see it being finished before I'm too old to use it!!

j636

Nothing on the FlyBe website so far - but good news if it's true - and I've no reason to doubt you!

j636
22nd Jul 2014, 08:47
ATNotts

Its bookable on the website. Berlin is under all destinations and not Germany yet. Its the first on the drop down list for BHX.

getonittt
22nd Jul 2014, 09:28
well spotted j636

BHX 09.40 > TXL 12.25 . TXL 12.50 > BHX 13.50 daily ex wed & sat

Of course they will have to move to Brandenburg...one day.
Good luck to them , it keeps an important German Destination to the midlands .

Daza
22nd Jul 2014, 09:51
Good news :ok:
It seems Flybe are willing to step in and maintain Birmingham Routes, their 88 seat aircraft are perfect for scheduled city routes out of Birmingham. :D

nigel osborne
22nd Jul 2014, 14:22
AT Notts,

Agree Andrew, it has cross party support, so whatever the arguments against ,expect it will go ahead but as you say opening may get delayed.

Great to see the China Southern in BHX today, full water cannon salute,press coverage, on Birmingham Airports 75th anniversary.

Nigel

davebham
25th Jul 2014, 18:12
Hi there. Does anyone know why BA549 Rome to LHR was diverted to BHX this afternoon? I watched it come in while out at Hampton Lakes, and confirmed it on FR24.

Sholto Douglas
25th Jul 2014, 18:15
Thunderstorms in the London area causing extended holding.

davebham
25th Jul 2014, 18:30
Many thanks for that Sholto.

GayFriendly
26th Jul 2014, 16:29
Great news regarding BE to Berlin, so glad the route continues as I did not relish the thought of the trek down to LHR again....thank goodness BHX has BE and seemingly such a good relationship with them, I think we have to look to them for growth in short haul routes from BHX in the next few years, they seem committed to growth unlike others....

Ian Brooks
26th Jul 2014, 16:49
Perhaps they have got it just right now with new management, smaller
fleet, a direction not trying to do everything from everywhere.
I hope so as they have a great history right through the aviation scene of the UK for last 40/50 years.

jon01
28th Jul 2014, 11:22
Monarch S15

I've just had a quick look through the timetable, which is still not complete. The weekends are showing 8 aircraft based at the moment, down 1 on 2014, but it's early days. No Ibiza or Split flights showing as yet. There are two Malaga departures showing on a Sunday morning plus a 00:55 Saturday night departure to Alicante!

jon01
28th Jul 2014, 15:50
Press release from Monarch:

Changes to the schedule for Summer 2015 from Birmingham airport feature:
- 23 routes with increased frequencies on some of Monarch’s most popular destinations such as Faro and Venice
- Better weekend flight times and frequencies for short city breaks to destinations such as Venice, Nice and Barcelona
- Added frequencies to allow for a more flexible approach to booking five, seven or ten day holidays. Destinations include Paphos, Sharm el Sheikh and Venice

OltonPete
28th Jul 2014, 18:38
Didn't see that one coming and if it is just a taster then the August schedule is very neat with hardly any gaps once the IT flights added in.

The Monarch press release can dress it up as much as they like but it just about wipes out all the Thomas Cook increase.

On the positive side April does see Nice, Venice, Mahon and an increase on Sharm but several routes chopped (at present) and much reduced frequencies in May and June.

Hurghada as mentioned earlier ends mid May!

Still room for a night Ibiza and hopefully Almeria will get squashed in at some point but the 23 routes mentioned in the press release indicate not.

Pete

jon01
28th Jul 2014, 20:15
MON S15

Looking at the full schedule, it really does look like it's 8 aircraft based all week, down 1 on this summer. This really is a shock, I was expecting at the least a 10th aircraft based for part of the week and some new routes like Madrid, Lisbon, Agadir or Malta and not, as it stands, up to four routes dropped

Centre cities
29th Jul 2014, 15:19
New boss, new broom.

Centre cities

ericlday
29th Jul 2014, 16:36
Same old bristles.

GayFriendly
31st Jul 2014, 09:26
"The Monarch press release can dress it up as much as they like but it just about wipes out all the Thomas Cook increase"

As ever with BHX, one positive step forward by one airline followed immediately by one step back by another.....what are the (at present) four dropped ZB routes? I think we can forget any new routes from ZB for the foreseeable future.

OltonPete
31st Jul 2014, 09:57
GF

That is the situation at the present and it is only the first release but unfortunately the schedule fits 8 based quite comfortably.

The routes not bookable are Hurghada after mid May, Split, Ibiza and Almeria.

I have might have been a bit hasty with the doom and gloom especially the incredibly reduced May and June schedule but April is amazing and well up on this year.

This year April required between 5 and 6 aircraft and at present April 15 requires 7-8 on Friday to Monday and 5-6 on Tuesday to Thursday.

Realistically the April schedule for the Friday - Monday period is going to require at least seven aircraft unless there are cuts.

I believe May & June 2015 is not finalised, I believe night flights will be added to high season and Ibiza should return.

Almeria is a bit of a shock as it was increased this summer to three flights to cater for Thomson but their timetable is showing a Thomson aircraft for 2015.

I think the initial shock is due to the change from previous years where the vast majority of the schedule at BHX was released in version 1 and you could see April was 5-6 aircraft, May 7-8 and late May to September 9 aircraft.

2015 seems different but as CC has said new broom etc

Pete

FRatSTN
31st Jul 2014, 10:12
And still nothing on sale at all from EMA. If they pull out from there that will be a drop from 11 to just 8 aircraft in the entire "Midlands" region. I wonder now though if they are planning on moving an a/c to East Midlands and consequently haven't completed their schedules for EMA yet??

getonittt
31st Jul 2014, 14:35
And still nothing on sale at all from EMA.

To Be brutally honest that would be music to many a BHX posters ears. :oh:

insuindi
31st Jul 2014, 17:30
Arrived from AMS today, around 1630, KLM i.e. international pier. It took an exact 28mins to get from the end of the border control queue to first spot. Other pax and I were not entirely impressed that there where only 4-6 desks open at any time, in fact two desks closed during the period I was waiting.

When I left, some pax were queuing up the stairs.

OltonPete
31st Jul 2014, 18:30
FRatSTN

It did cross my mind one way or other - expansion or base-closure. The two aircraft this winter are down to 15 flights at times with Malta suspended for five weeks, Malaga three times a week and seat-maps showing as 320's again.

insuindi - Were the e-gates working for the lucky ones? I also notice that the PIA landed 15 minutes before you which usually doesn't help especially if the flight was full as it was Eid this week and it usually picks up after a quiet month.

Other arrivals show Munich and a couple of Thomson's but not a lot else other than FR & BE and they wouldn't affect where you were so I suppose a bit disappointing.

easyjet

Some minor winter changes - Geneva now starts 6 December rather than 13th but after the 6th the next flight is the 13th but all three operate rather than just the two. Also that day Grenoble restarts but on the A320 rather than A319. All subject to change of course but every little bit helps.

Pete

paul atkins
31st Jul 2014, 18:59
2013 News - Flights - MONARCH AIRLINES AND MAG ANNOUNCE GROWTH DEAL

14 11 2013

Monarch, the leading scheduled leisure airline, and Manchester Airports Group (MAG), the UK’s largest regional airport operator, have today announced commercial agreements that will help to underpin Monarch’s plan for growth at Manchester and East Midlands Airports.

The commitments are for three years at Manchester Airport and five years at East Midlands Airport; both deals can be extended further.

I know its on t Birmingham thread but I hope this answers the questions being asked

Centre cities
31st Jul 2014, 22:18
A message from nearly 12 months ago in the aviation industry means nothing.

Having said that I am sure that Monarch schedules will be released from Leeds and EMA in due course.

As it appears the Monarch base is down one aircraft for the June/October period but it is still a substantial offering although disappointing. Perhaps it is 8 321 as opposed to the 7 this year. Time will tell.

Centre cities

jon01
1st Aug 2014, 06:47
Monarch S15

I'm sure that there will still be at least one A320 based for S15 to operate the Gibraltar and smaller Greek Airport routes, so I don't think 8 x A321s is possible!

jon01
5th Aug 2014, 11:13
After some rumours circulating recently about Air India, the press release is out confirming daily services from the start of the winter schedule:

Air India Commits to Daily Services - Birmingham Airport (http://t.co/6QuUR3HKM7)

Curious Pax
5th Aug 2014, 11:29
Hopefully just a matter of semantics, but interesting to note in the press release that the Air India guy says that "once we have taken the delivery of our 18th Dreamliner aircraft in November, we hope to launch the daily operation from Birmingham Airport" which the BHX CEO seems to take as a commitment to launch daily in November, though it isn't quite saying that. As ever time will tell.....

787Heaven
5th Aug 2014, 12:15
You can 'interpret' the statement however you please but the fact of the matter is load factors on the route have been exceptional and this latest press release is nothing short of good news for Birmingham:ugh:

ATNotts
5th Aug 2014, 13:04
Hopefully just a matter of semantics, but interesting to note in the press release that the Air India guy says that "once we have taken the delivery of our 18th Dreamliner aircraft in November, we hope to launch the daily operation from Birmingham Airport" which the BHX CEO seems to take as a commitment to launch daily in November, though it isn't quite saying that. As ever time will tell.....

The "hope" is linked to the "once" - insofar as the one (daily service) is subject to the other (Boeing delivering on time). The service "will" go daily "when" the 18th 787 is delivered which is expected to be in time for a November upgrade.

As a Mancunian, I don't believe there are many straws for you to clutch on this occasion.

Curious Pax
5th Aug 2014, 13:35
Not clutching at any straws my paranoid little friend - if BHX can support a daily Air India service then the very best of luck to them. The demographics are such that BHX is probably a better bet for Air India than MAN (maybe MAN will be added too in the future?). It just seemed like a strange way for the Air India guy to express it. If a daily service will definitely start in November then why not just say so? I assume they won't be waiting until the 18th 787's wheels are on Indian soil, then announcing the route to start the day after!

nigel osborne
5th Aug 2014, 15:03
Curiouspax.

I would say it may have been that not all the extended contracts had been signed by the date of the year anniversary where he spoke.

They did say when it started if it did well they would go daily and certainly apart from low season loads factors have been very good.

They did also say at its start they would consider another destination once/if Amritsar/Delhi went daily, although not sure where that would likely be ?

Nigel

ATNotts
5th Aug 2014, 15:38
Curious Pax

Not clutching at any straws my paranoid little friend

Apologies, I was making an oblique reference to others who seem to believe that Manchester has a God given right to pretty well all long haul outside of London.

Absolutely agree that the demographics make BHX the obvious choice for AI, ahead of MAN. The terminology used was somewhat strange but often Indian english can be somewhat more convoluted than the english we use here in UK (doesn't make it wrong, just different - a la American english vs. english")

Daza
5th Aug 2014, 16:51
Great news!! I remember people saying the route would never happen and that Air India would never come to Birmingham....great success story :E

OltonPete
5th Aug 2014, 17:05
Air India and caution are a few words that are suited to the same sentance.

Last night you couldn't even book the route weekly let alone daily for next summer on their website.

I do hope they mean the 18 aircraft to be delivered and not the 18th to be operational as VT-ANI has not flown since 22 April 2014;)

VT-ANS will be number 18 and parts are arriving per the all things 787 Bl*g and ANR is waiting for its first flight and ANQ went into service on 1/8/14.

Another site claimed all this years 787's have been financed and really if that is true then November is achievable but it is not bookable.

Pete

Fairdealfrank
5th Aug 2014, 21:22
Great news!! I remember people saying the route would never happen and that Air India would never come to Birmingham....great success story

Yes, yes, that was me.....was made to eat my hat over this (it tasted good).

Pleased to be proven wrong of course, and hope that the daily frequency materialises.

crewmeal
6th Aug 2014, 05:54
Great news!! I remember people saying the route would never happen and that Air India would never come to Birmingham....great success story

I don't think it was the route in question but the the string of 'fly by night' operators that caused the problem. Mint airways comes to mind.

Daza
6th Aug 2014, 12:53
crew meal wrote I don't think it was the route in question but the the string of 'fly by night' operators that caused the problem. Mint airways comes to mind

It certainly was questioned! "If Air India would ever start the flight", "Air India's terrible record of chopping and changing flights". People here questioned "why would secondary cities like Birmingham get 787 service"? (that was exactly what they were designed and to be used for) "Would Air India have the aircraft"? "Do the "right ethnic Indians" live in the region" and blah, blah, blah.
Oh and just how much other airports should get the service instead of Birmingham.

No airport would refuse an airline that wants to operate services, such as Mint. Some on this forum will turn any positive about Birmingham Airport into a negative. I support my local airport and will continue to post positive stories. I'm not surprised at your comments, some here hide their true agenda.

Monty Gordo
6th Aug 2014, 13:54
Well it was lauded and applauded and even a government minister was on hand to see the first arrival...

But the short season of charters to China is now over and many, no doubt, will want to hear some feedback on the success, or otherwise, of the flights to Beijing.

So who will be the first to comment: China Southern Airlines, BHX management, Birmingham City Council, Caissa Travel Management or, indeed, tourism minister Helen Grant.

We are waiting...

nigel osborne
6th Aug 2014, 14:13
Monty Gordo,

Your really hoping they don't I detect.

The flights were a great success the front end packed out and only a few seats left in economy..both ways.

However its fair to say these flights were BHX led. I think that BHX will now say ..well we have proved we can fill the planes albeit only 6..now its over to the travel agents to take the lead if they want to.

Interesting today announced LHR have gained additional Beijing flights from Air China with the LGW flights moving over and both flights will now be A330s out of LHR.

So where does all this leave BHX ambitions to China ?

Well if their is no extra sched slots given to UK/Chinese airlines,next 12 months, then its certainly possible that the BHX China Eastern charters could be back next year perhaps with an expanded programme.

However that I think would now be left to the travel agents involved this year to ponder.

This might not happen though if the never ending rumours of MAN about to announce Air China actually get firmed into a full announcement.

Nigel

Monty Gordo
6th Aug 2014, 14:29
Nigel, dear chap, why on earth did you believe i wanted to see a negative feedback? I like most on this BHX thread want to see success for the airport. But, without seeing the comments on those mentioned, i felt my comments should be seen at this stage as being neutral. Of course i am hoping that the feedback when it comes will be positive and will lead, hopefully, to an expanded programme next year.

Please read carefully what people DO say not what you THINK they say.

getonittt
6th Aug 2014, 15:25
Yep you are right . I think it is because whenever a poster from anywhere but the midlands posts a genuine query regarding a BHX service on here the reaction seems to be that they have a hidden agenda . I'm sure some do , However , take a couple of posts recently that produced a knee jerk reaction :

It just seemed like a strange way for the Air India guy to express it. If a daily service will definitely start in November then why not just say so? I assume they won't be waiting until the 18th 787's wheels are on Indian soil, then announcing the route to start the day after!

I agree , didn't we have this before with Biman ? ' we will start services when we get the clearance from the American authorities to start the DAC-BHX-JFK service' We are still waiting........

So who will be the first to comment: China Southern Airlines, BHX management, Birmingham City Council, Caissa Travel Management or, indeed, tourism minister Helen Grant.

We are waiting...

I agree , to a certain extent , but it really is far too early for anyone to say that there will be a repeat performance for 2015 . The early feedback was that the flights were sold out inbound and the program was considered a success.

bhx bod
6th Aug 2014, 15:39
As far as scheduled services go I think both BHX and MAN should be concerned.Until a new agreement can be reached no more schedules can be added to any airport.However like Nigel I hope an expanded charter program from BHX does happen.
One thing that I found interesting was with LHR flights going 2X daily using A330s.Thus moving the 4 flights from LGW and adding 3 more.However correct me if I'm wrong but the current LHR flights are B77W.I don't know what both aircraft types are configured to but any extra seats on the route is not actually that many.Someone is bound to know how many seats are currently on offer from both airports and what will be on offer when the new schedule kicks in.It would be interesting to know what the difference will be.
As far as BHX is concerned I know many of the retail units saw a big increase in sales,due to the Chinese being big spenders on luxury goods etc.
With the new complex at the NEC due to open next year which includes couture retail units to rival Bicester,or at least give them a run for their money this is another reason why any flight to China is a good idea from BHX.

nigel osborne
6th Aug 2014, 15:44
Monty Gordo,

It was your last bit.."we are waiting"

You had already made your point so wasn't sure why you added that.

However thanks for clarifying your post, and sure we both hope they will be back next year :ok:

Nigel

Monty Gordo
7th Aug 2014, 08:26
Not sure if it has been mentioned previously but another forum has today announced BHX daily to Oslo with flights starting on October 26.

getonittt
7th Aug 2014, 19:46
Monty - yes that was announced back in may together with the daily Hamburg .

Some tweaks for W14/15 ~ When the winter timetable was announced BHX-BOD was 5 a week but that has now been reduced to 4 , but to balance that out the Toulouse goes to daily with the addition of a Saturday flight.

nigel osborne
8th Aug 2014, 18:22
BHX-BOD.

Yes the Air China 77Ws had first class, the A330s don't. So if they can't make a go out of premium at LHR no chance anywhere else in the UK.

The extra A330s however do increase overall seats in business class.

Once again we see LGW have a long haul full fare airline switch to LHR when slots become available their.

Nigel

bhx bod
8th Aug 2014, 19:20
Nigel.

Thanks for the post.Very interesting that Air China can't fill first class/premium seats from LHR.
It would be interesting to know if many business seats were sold on our CZ flights,and whether any airline would gamble on a regular flight scheduled or otherwise if front end seats can't be filled.
As a matter of interest do Air Transat have a business section and how many seats are on their A330s.

Skipness One Echo
8th Aug 2014, 20:38
Have a read of the Manchester thread, I am not sure the bilateral is holding anyrhing up at all on UK-China flights.

VickersVicount
9th Aug 2014, 10:44
Transat "Club" Class has 21 seats on an A330-200 at a staggering 34" pitch
New refurbished A330-300 has 12 seats at 36 "

bhx bod
9th Aug 2014, 11:35
VickersViscount.

Thanks for the info.Sounds like a very comfortable ride:ok:

BHX5DME
13th Aug 2014, 12:09
12 August 2014
City delegation visits Asia to launch tourism workshops for Indian travel agents

Birmingham is being showcased to Indian travel agents as a leading global visitor destination, as tourist numbers from the country increase.

Visit Birmingham, the city’s official leisure tourism body, is currently running a six month training programme with Kuoni Academy for travel agents in Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Amritsar. The sessions will raise awareness of Birmingham’s attractions; the city’s central location as a gateway to the rest of the UK; and its direct air links to Asia, following Air India’s commitment to increase its Birmingham-Delhi-Amritsar operation to a daily service from November.

The initiative builds on the rising number of visits to Birmingham from India – with a 71 per cent increase last year, from 8,261 (2012) to 14,131 (2013). The city attracts more visitors from India than any other destination in England outside of London, and is ranked second in terms of total numbers of visitors from India in the last four years.

The aim of the programme, which runs until September, is to train between 200 and 300 travel agents, some of whom already promote the destination, as well as new agents. The workshops will provide a grounding in Greater Birmingham’s tourism offer – including the region’s attractions, culture, heritage, retail and food – as well as the new developments set to transform Birmingham in 2015. These include the £600million redevelopment of New Street station and the new Grand Central shopping complex, anchored by the 250,000 sq ft John Lewis department store, one of the largest outside London.

Visit Birmingham’s Director of Marketing Services, Emma Gray, travelled to India this summer to launch the programme with a delegation that also included representatives from Birmingham Airport and The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.

Emma commented:

“Approximately 80 per cent of the Indian market book through a travel intermediary, so it made sense to invest time in launching our first training workshops in India to showcase to agents what our region has to offer.

“Birmingham’s profile is growing considerably on the international stage with a significant increase in visitor numbers and influential global publications such as The Times of India and China Daily highlighting the city’s leisure offer. It is clear that we are becoming an attractive holiday and business destination to people in India.

“Tourism plays a huge part in Birmingham’s economic success – with a £5.1billion boost in 2012. Initial sessions have been well received, so we look forward to welcoming a new wave of Indian visitors to the city as a result of this training programme and further campaigns in the Asian market next year.”

Birmingham attracted more international visitors last year than ever before.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics showed that there were almost a million visits to the city in 2013 (941,000) compared with 713,000 in 2012 – a 32 per cent rise. This compares with an increase nationally of just 5.6 per cent and 8.6 per cent in London. Birmingham is now the fourth most visited city in the UK, behind London, Edinburgh and Manchester.

Mandy Haque, Sales & Travel Trade Relationship Manager at Birmingham Airport, said:

“Since Air India commenced direct Birmingham-Delhi-Amritsar flights last year, more than 80,000 passengers have used the four times weekly service and this week the carrier has announced that it is committed to launching daily services from November. This will deliver an extra 1,500 seats on the route and give more choice, flexibility and opportunity for Indian tourists to fly into Birmingham and explore the many jewels that this region has to offer.

“Educating travel agents is vital for airports as they can influence a customer’s decision on where they fly from so partnering with Visit Birmingham on this programme and developing new relationships in India was a great opportunity for Birmingham Airport.”

Debbie Beardall, Trade & Education Development Manager at The Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, added:

“We are delighted to be working in partnership with Birmingham Airport and Visit Birmingham to boost awareness amongst Indian travel agents about the wealth of attractions, culture, heritage and beautiful countryside all within a stone’s throw of Birmingham.

“Shakespeare is extremely popular in Asia and the Shakespeare Family Homes in Stratford-upon-Avon, just 30 minutes from Birmingham, are already a magnet for visitors from India.

“The travel workshops have given us an opportunity to showcase just how much we have to offer for the multi-generation groups who visit from India, and we look forward to welcoming even more, once daily flights come into operation.”

GayFriendly
14th Aug 2014, 14:45
So, announced today that ZB will pull out of EMA at the end of this winter programme (which incidentally goes totally against a press release in Nov announcing that they had struck a deal with MAG to grow at EMA....). There appears to be a very comprehensive top to bottom review going on at ZB, although very sad for the staff at the EMA base, I hope that BHX comes well out of it, they have been committed to BHX so far. Depending on who and what you believe it seems the plan is higher frequencies on key routes and more city destinations as they turn fully scheduled next year, I hope BHX is a key part of this plan. I wonder where the two based EMA units will end up next summer? Interesting times ahead at ZB for all concerned.

Skipness One Echo
14th Aug 2014, 15:08
The initiative builds on the rising number of visits to Birmingham from India – with a 71 per cent increase last year, from 8,261 (2012) to 14,131 (2013). The city attracts more visitors from India than any other destination in England outside of London, and is ranked second in terms of total numbers of visitors from India in the last four years.
Hang on, are we not concatenating inbound tourism per se with visiting family in an ethnic minority community? Hence what works well in one part of India does not scale up in remotely the same manner to anywhere else? Or am I missing something really obvious. Again.

Fairdealfrank
14th Aug 2014, 16:10
Hang on, are we not concatenating inbound tourism per se with visiting family in an ethnic minority community? Hence what works well in one part of India does not scale up in remotely the same manner to anywhere else? Or am I missing something really obvious. Again.

No you're not. It's likely that people with family links in Birmingham have links with north India: the flight is to/from Delhi and Amritsar. That being the case, it is unlikely that a flight to/from, say, Bombay or Bangalore would work.

The geographical size of India should not be underestimated.

ATNotts
15th Aug 2014, 07:57
Fairdealfrank

Once again you and Skipness are taking the rather stereotypical "metropolitan" standpoint that there is no life outside the M25, and little or no business demand for direct air services.

Granted London does suck up most of the business travel demand to the UK, but Indian businesses, and Chinese for that matter do invest (amazingly) elsewhere in UK, surprising though that may seem.

I would absolutely agree that the chances of direct daily AI services from places like Bangalore and Mumbai (it hasn't been Bombay for years!) are tantamount to nil, 3 x weekly from Bangalore via Mumbai, or via Delhi couldn't be ruled out so easily. I have no evidence whatsoever that they are in the planning stage today though.

I do recall you had to eat your last hat over the arrival of AI - hopefully you got a "2 for 1 offer" from your local milliner, as at some stage you may need to take a chunk out of the other one!!! :D

OltonPete
15th Aug 2014, 13:25
CAA is the source.

1049499 pax for July.

Rolling year 9454990 up 5.4%

Pete

Fairdealfrank
15th Aug 2014, 20:33
Fairdealfrank

Once again you and Skipness are taking the rather stereotypical "metropolitan" standpoint that there is no life outside the M25, and little or no business demand for direct air services.
Don't have a "stereotypical metropolitan point of view" (not sure what that particular cliche is supposed to mean in this context). Have a completely independent point of view, as you know. Any danger of explaining exactly what you mean?

Granted London does suck up most of the business travel demand to the UK, but Indian businesses, and Chinese for that matter do invest (amazingly) elsewhere in UK, surprising though that may seem.
Have never suggested otherwise, but you need to look at the evidence.

I would absolutely agree that the chances of direct daily AI services from places like Bangalore and Mumbai (it hasn't been Bombay for years!) are tantamount to nil, 3 x weekly from Bangalore via Mumbai, or via Delhi couldn't be ruled out so easily. I have no evidence whatsoever that they are in the planning stage today though.
Indeed.

As for Bombay, it is Bombay in the English language, Mumbai is Bombay in Marathi (local language in Bombay). Similarly, although you declined to comment on that one, Bangalore is Bangalore in the English language, Bengaluru is Bangalore in Kannada (local language in Bangalore). These are translations, nothing more. Doubtless you wouldn't say Lisboa, Roma, Vien for Lisbon, Rome and Vienna, etc..

As for your comment "3 x weekly from Bangalore via Mumbai, or via Delhi couldn't be ruled out so easily", yes it can be ruled out. Travellers between Bombay or Bangalore and Birmingham won't have that particular choice (and that is not a hat-eating issue).

It's either an Air India via Delhi or Emirates Airlines via Dubai.

I do recall you had to eat your last hat over the arrival of AI - hopefully you got a "2 for 1 offer" from your local milliner, as at some stage you may need to take a chunk out of the other one!!!
Trust me, direct flights between Bombay/Bangalore and Birmingham are not going to happen on Air-India.

As for eating hats, yes, you are right, it was a "BOGOF" offer.

That was about Air India not getting its act together, not about Birmingham airport managers not being able to attract longhaul routes, and that was made clear at the time.

cornishsimon
16th Aug 2014, 14:29
July seems a good month on BHX-NQY again.

Even though nothing is currently loaded for summer 15 I very much expect this route will return.

cs

jon01
17th Aug 2014, 09:52
Monarch

According to the Sunday Times, a third of the workforce to go, all charters axed and the fleet reduced by 12:

Monarch airline axes 1,000 jobs in attempt to lure saviour | The Sunday Times (http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/business/Companies/article1447627.ece)

Does this mean that Birmingham to Zakinthos, Skiathos, Corfu and Preveza will be axed, or are they safe as they are bookable after the review? There is no date quoted when the axing of charters is to take effect. It's confusing because there are chartered (Inclusive Tour) seats and flight only seats bookable though the Monarch/Avro websites on all their services.

I wonder if Thomas Cook knew this was coming before their expansion at B'ham was decided?

Bagso
17th Aug 2014, 09:57
Is Monarch Engineering separate company ?

ATNotts
17th Aug 2014, 12:58
jon01

I wonder if Thomas Cook knew this was coming before their expansion at B'ham was decided?

Given the lead time that tour operators work to this would appear very unlikely.

Also, given the (often) unreliable reports that come out of the press, why should the ST article be any more accurate that a lot of the other rubbish they print?

airhumberside
17th Aug 2014, 13:59
Does this mean that Birmingham to Zankinthos, Skiathos, Corfu and Preveza will be axed, or are they safe as they are bookable after the review? There is no date quoted when the axing of charters is to take effect. It's confusing because there are chartered (Inclusive Tour) seats and flight only seats bookable though the Monarch/Avro websites on all their services.
According to a Travel Mole article, a Monarch spokesman told them "some existing charters might be axed while others will switch to scheduled services"

Ian Brooks
17th Aug 2014, 14:41
All charters will finish by 4/15

canberra97
18th Aug 2014, 01:52
I wonder if the Banjul flights will go scheduled?

chinapattern
18th Aug 2014, 17:20
MON don't fly to Banjul from BHX, only TCX do.

canberra97
19th Aug 2014, 03:29
I meant Banjul flights from LGW, as I was reading the comments on here regarding Monarch I thought for a minute I was on the Monarch thread.:ooh:

kgoodall
19th Aug 2014, 12:25
Looks like they have posted their flights for summer 2015. Pretty much the same as usual, weekly from May 13 to October 7th, starting with the A310 and swapping to the A330 for a couple of months in between.

getonittt
19th Aug 2014, 14:55
Pretty much the same as usual, weekly from May 13 to October 7th, starting with the A310 and swapping to the A330 for a couple of months in between.

How thoroughly underwhelming.

We have seen some reasonable increases in passenger numbers this summer compared to previous months but I get the feeling that 2015 will only be on a par or a tiny swing either way with 2014's figures.
These current increases are mostly down to the superb commitment of Flybe to the BHX base but we cannot expect further expansion on such a large scale as we have just seen . The other major player, Monarch , have already released their program and I would expect the same status quo from Ryanair and unless something is done with APD there will be little expansion on the Long haul front.
Sorry if it seems like a doom and gloom post, it isn't , nothing wrong with consolidation now and then :O

111KAB
19th Aug 2014, 15:11
Oh well getonitt to balance your gloom

Record July at Birmingham Airport - Birmingham Post (http://www.birminghampost.co.uk/business/business-news/record-july-at-birmingham-airport-7633970)

BARKINGMAD
20th Aug 2014, 20:01
BBC News - Birmingham Airport stowaway Lee Jezard said he was co-pilot (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-28864442)

As l recently commented in the thread on mobile phones, laptops and other PEDs being scrutinised at airports, what is going on elsewhere whilst all eyes are focussed on the industry's customers?

Meanwhile, at a perimeter fence near you.........:ugh:

bhx bod
21st Aug 2014, 09:13
I am hearing that AFR are switching many of it's UK services over to the HOP brand,but BHX services are going to be operated by Transavia France from next year.Can anyone confirm?

FFHKG
21st Aug 2014, 11:23
French media (LesEchos.fr) indicate that AF will make a major announcement on the future of short haul/European services on 11th September along the lines that you have indicated. It is likely to lead to a confrontation with the French Pilots Union who are prepared to strike about this.

nigel osborne
21st Aug 2014, 11:25
KGoodall,

Re Air Transat, there is infact a slight increase ,think another 4 weeks of the A330 compared with more A310 flights this year.

However its only crumbs for BHX really.

Nigel

nigel osborne
21st Aug 2014, 11:30
BHX-BOD.

What i have read is not all NON CDG Euro flights to Europe are going to HOP and Transavia, with 20 AF A320s being transferred to HOP.

There are a few internal flights to main destinations that stay AF and all the big airports like LHR to other French destinations..

So as BHX has CDG ,seems we should keep AF ?

BHX Paris figure are doing well but certainly not out the question we could get swapped to a HOP A320 or HV 738.

Nigel

ATNotts
21st Aug 2014, 12:35
FFHKG

It is likely to lead to a confrontation with the French Pilots Union who are prepared to strike about this.

The French striking again? There's a surprise (not)! It doesn't take much to get them out.

kgoodall
21st Aug 2014, 12:42
Hi Nigel,

So an extra 400 seats give or take over this year then. I wonder what will happen in a couple of years when they retire the A310s, they seem to be going for a more short haul fleet for the Canadian bucket and spade routes (Mexico, Cuba etc). You never know though - we might have a Westjet service by then!

I have to return to Coventry in November and will trying out the United service this time. It's not quite as practicle as the direct Toronto flights but it does mean I can avoid London.

Centre cities
22nd Aug 2014, 09:21
Did not realise that BHX is unable to take the A340-600 due to limitations on the taxi way curves according to the local regulations on EAD charts.

crewmeal
22nd Aug 2014, 11:26
All that work on the runway. Why didn't they adjust taxiways to take larger aircraft? Seems strange to me.

ericlday
22nd Aug 2014, 11:39
Don't suppose there are too many A346 queuing to come to EGBB.

groundhogbhx
22nd Aug 2014, 11:53
There aren't that many A346's queuing up to fly anywhere are there? Not the most popular of products on the TLS production lines.

nigel osborne
23rd Aug 2014, 21:44
Crewmeal,

As many A340s are slowly being phased out ,suppose it was hardly worth widening the taxiwa points just for A346s if they will be mostly gone in 5 yrs or so.

It might stop Virgin diverting any to BHX but can't see anyone else willing to drop one in.

crewmeal
24th Aug 2014, 05:42
Nigel I agree with you. However I cast my mind back to when an EK 777 got stuck in the mud. Now I'm no technical expert neither am I a pilot but if the taxiway turning points were widened then it would give extra maneuverability for bigger jets such as 340s 380's.

BBC News - Emirates jet stuck in grass at Birmingham Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-12051512)

LiamNCL
24th Aug 2014, 07:17
I was suprised we fitted one in at NCL a few month ago , Absolutely massive in terms of length .

nigel osborne
24th Aug 2014, 19:14
Crewmeal,

When they did the runway extension they added extra fillets to slightly widen the area end of old runway 33 and its wider at S too, but no change 15 end.

However its the extra wheelbase of the 346 thats the issue. The 77W wheelbase is less than a 346, and the sliding of the 77W was not due to the narrowness, so it was claimed.

To be fair we have had dozens (77W) turn in the same area in extreme iceing and heavy rain without an issue, and don't forget we had a Dash and a 737 off the taxiway so it was probably more a pilot error.

However on watching the video of the EK A380 we had it did look pretty tight..yet meets CAA regulations and the NATS A380 BHX taxiing maps loaded would suggest things are wide enough...

crewmeal
24th Aug 2014, 19:17
Nigel I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. If the CAA are happy then so am I. (Shame about the turns on rw 15).

j636
27th Aug 2014, 22:34
EIR have added an extra daily DUB flight M-F for winter to take it to 4 daily Sun-Wed, 5 Thur-Fri and 3 Sat. The late evening planned EIR flight on Thur and Fri has being changed to mainline.

groundhogbhx
28th Aug 2014, 17:35
The EK ended in the grass because it was told to take Delta and turn back on to Echo after a late stand change. The EK Captain told ATC that his charts said that he wasn't able to do that but ATC insisted that he could. Several of us who were listening went to watch the fun as it turned into the mud, just as predicted by EK's charts. Que hours of chaos while we tried to sort out the mess!!

I'm going to miss this kind of thing!

111KAB
1st Sep 2014, 08:41
Birmingham airport owners reap £82 million dividend - www.travelweekly.co.uk (http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articles/2014/09/01/49157/birmingham-airport-owners-reap-82-million-dividend.html)

crewmeal
3rd Sep 2014, 09:49
Not sure what happened here but Monarch's handing agents around the UK don't seem to be doing a very good job.

100 passengers forced to wait THREE hours to collect luggage at Birmingham Airport... after being told they could not leave until bags arrived | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2741725/100-passengers-forced-wait-THREE-hours-collect-luggage-Birmingham-Airport-told-not-leave-bags-arrived.html)

Hotel Tango
3rd Sep 2014, 15:02
I wonder how Menzies' management would have reacted if they would have had to wait 3 hours? Only one way to teach these incompetent managers that "apologies" are just not good enough when they cut staff levels to the absolute minimum and even below, let all 100 pax take a group court action for compensation against the buggers!

getonittt
3rd Sep 2014, 15:26
which airports baggage claim area is shown in the picture?

Airfrance7
3rd Sep 2014, 15:44
Terminal 1 Manchester!

OltonPete
5th Sep 2014, 22:31
Finally got round to these with help of logs and blogs, libhomeradar and of course the CAA for the monthly passenger figures.

Some remarkable business route figures with flybe and also Ryanair upping load factors.

July 2014 saw five Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursday helping such routes as BZG, BTS, VCE, DBV & SSH.

Brussels.........9652 (7485)..... 49 per flight..62% load factor - very good and more flights operated than last year
Dubrovnik.......5060 (2888).....181 pax.......90% 3 a week compared to 2
Split..............4031 (3475).....155 pax..... .89%
Larnaca..........8705 (8380).....198 pax.......92%
Paphos.......... 3373 (4665).....187 pax.......88% 2 a week v 3 a week in 2013
Copenhagen... 6106 (4134).......95 pax.......75% about the same flights but many more Airbus flights
Avignon...........512 (492)........64 pax........82%
Bergerac........1518 (1122).......69 pax....75%
Bordeaux........2545 (2557).......75 pax.... 85%
Brest..............1126 (998).......63 pax........80%
La Rochelle......758 (686).........63 pax........75%
Lyons............4371 (4216).......81 pax........92%
Montepellier.......nil (2533)......................
Nice...............5504 (7044)......131 pax.......66% 5 a week down from 7 in 2013 but struggling
Paris CDG......36281 (34620)....104 pax........89% simply crackers for a so-called business route in low season
Perpignan........3076 (3485).....118 pax........77% one less FR frequency per week
Toulouse.........3814 (1107)......71 pax.........89%
Berlin TXL.......3622 (5514)......107 pax........75% not sure BE at 5 a week will be enough!
Cologne..........2757 (nil).........44 pax.........55%
Dusseldorf.....16956 (16597)....56 pax.........64%
Frankfurt.......30042 (26944)..124 pax.........78%
Hamburg.........3228 (3403).....60 pax..........67%
Hanover.........6103 (4164)......57 pax.........65%
Munich..........16593 (15609)...98 pax.........80%
Stuttgart........7138 (4631).....66 pax.........75%
Gibraltar..........4149 (3862)....150pax.........86%
Athens............2428 (0)........135 pax.........80% - good start as fares crept up in July
Heraklion.........2521 (3023)....140 pax........65% - can't get my head round this one - hardly over capacity
Cork...............6663 (7054)......54 pax.........75%
Knock.............3305 (2704).....53 pax.........68%
Dublin............53517 (50573)..134 pax.........92% - load factor says it all much reduced frequency in July & Aug
Shannon..........4712 (2966).....38 pax.........71%
Waterford........2361 (2060).....69 pax.........89%
Florence..........5171 (nil)........ 83 pax.........70% - partly sold at 88 seats at first
Milan MXP........9144 (5118).....74 pax.........84%
Rome FCO.......11162 (10142)...180 pax.......88%
Trieste.............2595(2335).....144 pax......76%
Venice.............5676 (4724)...158 pax.......74%
Malta..............2775 (3114)...170 pax........90%
Amsterdam.....45256 (40116)...90 pax.........83%%
Faro..............21650 (19680)..175 pax........88%
Oporto...........2585 (nil).........76 pax.........86%
Funchel..........2532 (2675)....158 pax.........82%
Alicante........31867 (29543).,.187 pax.........94%
Almeria...........4487 (3531)...160 pax.........86% - extra weekly service but still maintained 86% LF
Barcelona......17132 (18022)..165 pax.........82%
Girona...............nil (2448)
Ibiza.............13270 (12937)...125 pax.......77%
Mahon............5469 (6799).....161 pax.......83% 2 x 320 & 2 x 321 compared to 4 x 321 in 2013
Malaga.........28777 (30455)..180 pax........89%
Murcia...........5882 (5868)...164 pax.........86%
Palma...........24228 (22280)...150 pax.......84%
Reus.............2357 (3548)....131 pax....... 69% one less flight per week
Arrecife........13819 (11389) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Fuerteventura 8118 (6765) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Las Palmas.....7258 (7874)...165 pax.........81%
Tenerife.......21043 (16649) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Gothenburg....1350 (1175).....25 pax.........51%
Reykjavik.......1604 (0)..........62 pax........70%
Zurich..........9039 (9497)......84 pax.........84%
Bodrum.........4517 (4212)...174 pax.........81%
Dalaman........8972 (9687)...145 pax.........73% a real downturn on this route
Istanbul.......9950 (10422)...113 pax.........73%
Kaunas.........3205 (3233)...178 pax.........94%
Bydgoscz......5108 (4726)...182 pax.........97%
Gdansk.........3236 (3212)....180 pax........95%
Katowice.....2875 (4838)....180 pax.........95%
Krakow........3282 (3170)...182 pax..........96%
Bratislava....5054 (4593)....181 pax.........96%
Hurghada.....1400 (0).........175 pax.........82%
Sharm.........5262 (4846)....195 pax.........91%
Ashkhabad....4254 (4151)...164 pax..........86%
Dubai.........42321 (41909)..341 pax.........81%
Delhi...........5984 (nil)........166 pax.........65%
Islamabad....6627 (7527).....237 pax.........64%
Toronto.......3134 ()...........313 pax.........92%
Newark........8350 (9449)....135 pax.........80%

Pete

OltonPete
5th Sep 2014, 22:46
Loaded but few routes are bookable however the times are showing.

Only one route missing in April 15 compared to April 14 - Londonderry!

Malta appears to be staying despite East Mids starting and the late starters this year are yet to appear - PGF, REU & IBZ.

Only three based with two gaps and plenty of time and day changes plus quite a few Canaries flights operating by Canaries based aircraft. The number of flights are similar to 2014 at a guess I would say around one less per day.

Pete

chinapattern
6th Sep 2014, 07:27
Given the loads and the fact they sent a few A321s I'm confident Aegean will be back next summer and hopefully at a higher frequency.

evergreenlondon
6th Sep 2014, 20:11
Strange there are no flights to Budapest from Birmingham. Eastern Europe seems to be poorly served for a conurbation the size of the West Midlands. I suppose the presence of Luton down the M1 eats into the catchment area of any east european flights from Birmingham and only one of the big three low cost carriers at Birmingham (Monarch, Ryanair and Flybe) actually serves the east european market. Monarch are focused on the sunshine routes and Flybe on the shorter distance cross channel routes. Wizz and Easyjet are unfortunately yet to serve Birmingham.

Good that Flybe are starting to fly to Berlin from October but fares are not cheap!

jon01
8th Sep 2014, 11:17
August 2014 passengers are up 5.2% to 1,104,831

This makes it the busiest ever month in the airport's history

Birmingham Airport Records Busiest Month in its 75 Year History - Birmingham Airport (http://www.birminghamairport.co.uk/meta/news/2014/09/birmingham-records-busiest-month-in-history.aspx)

nigel osborne
8th Sep 2014, 12:01
Fantastic news for BHX with its highest ever passenger figures and a good 5% plus increase overall.

Will be interesting however to see what happens next year as it looks a bit more uncertain.

Ryan Air showing a reduction from a base of 4 to a base of 3 planes ,however with more flts from overseas bases.

Monarch showing some reductions with their restructuring but TCX basing another plane.

Long Haul is up by just 1% but at least its up.Although no sign of any new scheduled destinations or increases to existing ones for S15 yet

Excellent increases to our main Euro airports such as CDG,FRA and Copenhagen etc.

TOM increasing flights and too .. to use TUI Fly Evelop and also Air Europa on top of their own flts.

So a mixed bag for next summer.

Nigel

Monty Gordo
8th Sep 2014, 20:50
What are the chances of a third month with 1m+ passengers passing through the airport.

With July and August already achieved, if August's 5% increase were to be mained in September it would push the 2013 total of 975,445 just over the seven figure mark...

And would three consecutive months of 1m+ passengers be another record?

j636
9th Sep 2014, 15:35
Welcome to Ryanair! (http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/news/14909-ryanair-launches-birmingham-summer-2015-schedule/?market=en)

21 routes so looks like 2 routes being dropped.

OltonPete
9th Sep 2014, 16:46
Monty Gordo

July, August and September 2005 is the only other year where three consecutive months exceeded one million pax in row, I believe.

I have not really done any estimates for September but a million should be possible.

j636

I am sure the booking engine has been updated in the last 30 minutes and it seems Reus and Londonderry are the chopped routes as Perpignan, Ibiza and Trieste are now on sale July and August only.

A reduction on 2014 but not much and one less based I think but will check that later.

Pete

Centre cities
9th Sep 2014, 18:25
Gain a based Thomas Cook and loose a Ryanair and Monarch. Never a dull moment in the aviation industry.

Centre cities

mart901
10th Sep 2014, 00:19
Its been a while since TCX increased at BHX, and let's face it FR is no great loss. Shame about MON though.

ATNotts
10th Sep 2014, 06:57
Its been a while since TCX increased at BHX, and let's face it FR is no great loss. Shame about MON though.

Agree regarding Ryanair, and I don't think that at this stage we can be sure what Monarch's intentions are; we'll have to wait and see.

In my eyes, the glass is still nearer half full than half empty.

groundhogbhx
10th Sep 2014, 12:46
I don't think you should have too much of a go at FR. They wanted to expand the base but being in the old T2 means that there is a limit on how many stands they could actually use and maintain the 25 minute turnrounds. 4 based is just about the limit the current layout can handle so any growth could only come from away based flights running between the home based waves. Hardly surprising that their interest has gone elsewhere.

nigel osborne
10th Sep 2014, 15:20
Groundhog box.

They seem to contradict themselves..if they say they can handle 4 planes then why are they seemingly cutting the base to 3 ?

They load some of their planes on the 20s remotes and also sometimes of the 70s when they park a load in the winter.

They have cut back markedly over recent years so I suspect that might be more to do with operational reasons..ie they want a larger base for next to nothing and BHX have said no , but thats just my guess.

Nigel

ATNotts
11th Sep 2014, 07:37
Nigel

They seem to contradict themselves..if they say they can handle 4 planes then why are they seemingly cutting the base to 3 ?

Ryanair contradicting themselves?? Surely not!

If anyone read back through their press releases over, say, a couple of years they would be littered with half truths and spin which frankly leave some of the iffy stuff that politicians come out with in the shade!

It's a shame that today's journalists by and large lazily print press releases verbatim, without ever checking the "facts" or questioning their content. If they bothered to, they may well find that the claims of many businesses, not just airlines, simply don't hold water.

jon01
11th Sep 2014, 14:40
Interesting that Birmingham handled more pax than Edinburgh in August, but Edinburgh's total for 2014 should still be higher than B'ham despite the loss of Virgin Little Red (Which was starting to do well)

Monty Gordo
11th Sep 2014, 15:31
With regards to your comment re journalists you should understand that today newspapers employ very few journalists and these are generally retained for the more cerebral work. I very much doubt that the press releases to which you refer to every pass through the hands of a journalist. They come in from Ryanair and whoever and are input into the system without any checking. This is not the fault of journalists, it is the fault of newspaper managers and owners who have stripped staffing levels to the bone in order to maintain fat profits.

I know this is slightly off-topic but I would like ppruners to understand how these airline, aiports and routes stories get into both local and national print.

I base my comments after having worked for 50 years in the industry, mostly on newspapers. And looking at newspapers today, i am glad i am not still in the industry.

compton3bravo
11th Sep 2014, 16:01
Totally agree with you Monty Gordo, I did the same, glad I am out of it now. If you or I had written some of the stuff that is printed today and on TV news, I am sure we would have had our a**es kicked. It makes me so sad to see how the media and printing industries have declined to these depths.

insuindi
11th Sep 2014, 17:31
Contrary to my expectations, 4U has - for now - loaded HAM-BHX 6/7 for summer 2015 again. However, as seen with TXL-BHX, 4U can be quick to change their minds.

jon01
14th Sep 2014, 11:10
Thomson S15

A quick look at the schedule and it appears that 7 aircraft are required on some days, including the long-haul B787

A welcome return from Air Europa B737-800s from Palma and Nouvelair A320s from Enfidha, both on Wednesday mornings for Thomson

The Thomson Summer 2015 system has been updated, the Air Europa and Nouvelair have gone and some flights by based aircraft have been replaced with foreign visitors as below:

TUE OHY A321 f/t AYT 08:10/09:20 (Olympic Hols have seats on this flight)
WED GMI B737 f/t IBZ 13:00/14:30
THU GMI B737 f/t NBE 13:45/15:15
THU TBA ---- f/t DLM 19:40/20:45 (Olympic Hols have seats on this flight)

OltonPete
16th Sep 2014, 22:23
Aegean

Great news - bookable twice a week in 2015 from the last Sunday in March and other day of service changes from Tuesday to Wednesday.

August passenger figures

Source: CAA Provisional data

August 1103955 + 5.2% - Rolling year 9508757 +5.7%

ATM's 8919 +5.5% rolling year 87728 +5%

Emirates 48916 - average 394 pax per flight, load factor 92% I think is a record monthly passenger figure for the route.

Air India was only slightly down when adjusting for 34 rotations this August compared to 36 in 2013.

PIA much improved on their recent load factor but at the expense of frequencies, which now see it just operating twice weekly. August down 27% but load factor 78%.

Turkish and Turkmenistan were also both up.

Paris was ridiculous up 8% at 31541 with a load factor of over 90%.

Frankfurt was again over 30000 averaging 124 pax at 80%.

ATH managed 137 pax at 81% and KEF 67 pax at 77%.

I know it was August and if you can't fill flights then you might as well forget it but certainly a good month for number-crunching.

Pete

ZULUBOY
17th Sep 2014, 15:56
Was at Tegel at the weekend, sadly having to fly via Frankfurt.

There was a big Flybe advert promoting their new route and the in-laws are booked on one of the early flights.

It says it runs until March - apologies for the naive question but is this just the end of the winter timetable?

StoneyBridge Radar
17th Sep 2014, 16:13
I know there was some hat eating on here regarding Air India, based on claims their BHX route had zoomed into being one of their more successful routes. Sadly, it seems BHX didn't make the cut for the profitability table, along with every route to LHR.

What a shambles of an airline.

Air India loses money on all but two international routes.

Air India loses money on all international flights, but two - Bangalore Aviation (http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2014/09/air-india-loses-money-on-all-but-two-international-flights.html)

OltonPete
17th Sep 2014, 18:38
StoneyBridge Radar

The only surprise here is that they have admitted to as many as two make money!!!!!

I think you find most on here argued that there is a market between BHX and India but it is virtually impossible to discuss profitability when it comes to Air India especially if half the rumours are true about their cost-base.

Remember when they last pulled out, the press release stated it was profitable but it was to protect Heathrow slots and then went on to have one of the worse utilisation rates any any long-haul fleet albeit most of that was down to the disastrous 77L order.

If your glass is half-full you could say at least it is not in the list of shame and they have said that they intend to go daily from November but there again it is still only bookable at four a week.

Pete

OltonPete
17th Sep 2014, 18:39
StoneyBridge Radar

The only surprise here is that they have admitted to as many as two make money!!!!!

I think you find most on here argued that there is a market between BHX and India but it is virtually impossible to discuss profitability when it comes to Air India especially if half the rumours are true about their cost-base.

Remember when they last pulled out, the press release stated it was profitable but it was to protect Heathrow slots and then went on to have one of the worse utilisation rates any any long-haul fleet albeit part of that was down to the disastrous 77L order.

If your glass is half-full you could say at least it is not in the list of shame and they have said that they intend to go daily from November but there again it is still only bookable at four a week.

Pete

AMM626
17th Sep 2014, 18:56
Quite a depressing read.

In the first year of ops AI at BHX had a load factor of 76%, 2% higher than AI's 74% average and although the flight didn't make a profit roughly 80 crore rupees were added to the AI network through connections from BHX, with Australia being popular.

The video is from the one year anniversary reception, skip forward to about 43:00 to hear Mr Pankaj Srivastava, Commercial Director.

Air India Celebrates it's 1 Year Anniversary flying from Birmingham Airport - YouTube

ATNotts
18th Sep 2014, 07:18
Look, Air India isn't a real commercial enterprise as we would understand it. It is a political football kicked around between the Congress Party and the BJP, whichever party has the office of Prime Minister at the time.

Were it to be truly commercial, and free from political pressure, some of the first routes to be chopped would be from Ahmedabad..., but wait, said city is the home of one Mr. Modi, who has recently become Prime Minister; so that won't happen.

Routes to the USA perform badly, but will they chop those politically prestigious routes...no, the politicians won't let them.

Biggest threat to the BHX (and the other - majority - loss making routes) would be if Air India was a truly commercial business, and that, given Indian politics, isn't going to happen any time soon.

getonittt
18th Sep 2014, 10:38
ZULUBOY Re TXL

It says it runs until March - apologies for the naive question but is this just the end of the winter timetable?

Yes that's right, summer 2015 not released yet and Flybe have done well to organise a schedule for winter at quite short notice after the Lufthansa group announced they were throwing the towel in.
I would be amazed if this route did not run into summer 2015 and also with a daily frequency as opposed to the current 5 a week.

OltonPete
21st Sep 2014, 09:24
Schedule passengers only with the monthly figure from the CAA and the average per flight with help from A BHX Blog & Libhomeradar - load factors estimated based on seat-maps.

Monarch still have some routes not reaching the dizzy heights as others such as Nice, Gibraltar, Dalaman & Mahon but in general they do charge quite a lot more than other carriers.

Paris 91% :confused:

Some non-daily routes were affected by the days of operation compared with 2013 with Friday, Saturday and Sunday having five in August.

Turkmenistan seem to have regained some market share from Air India but the latter's figures were not too bad.

Good to see Turkish up and it was like for like on rotations and not many A321's as they came in at the start of September. Emirates I suspect was a record and not far off that magic figure of 400 pax per flight although to be honest 394 is amazing.

With the 2013 figures in brackets

Brussels.........8351 (7257)......55 per flight..70% load factor (more Q400's)
Dubrovnik.......5153 (3058).....198 pax........93%
Split..............4107 (3830)......147 pax.......85%
Larnaca..........8564 (8326).....195 pax........91%
Paphos.......... 3524 (4354).....196 pax........92%
Copenhagen... 7971 (5756).......97 pax........76%
Avignon...........721 (699)........72 pax.........92%
Bergerac.........2536(1842).......70 pax........80%
Bordeaux.........2800(3299).......78 pax....... 91%
Brest..............1653 (1663)......64 pax........82%
La Rochelle......1359 (1172)......68 pax........82%
Lyons.............4249 (4616).......82 pax........93%
Montepellier.......nil (2793)......................
Nice...............7136 (8683)......155 pax.......81%
Paris CDG......31541 (29548)....107 pax........91%
Perpignan........3499 (4752).....125 pax........84%
Toulouse.........3850 (1094)......74 pax........93%
Berlin TXL........4004 (4311).....118 pax........83%
Cologne..........3342 (nil)......... 54 pax.........68%
Dusseldorf.....15446 (12287)... .58 pax.........62%
Frankfurt.......30879 (27827).. 125 pax.........80%
Hamburg.........3422 (3062)... ..66 pax.........74%
Hanover..........5411 (4261)... ..59 pax.........68%
Munich..........13510 (14486).. .94 pax.........77%
Stuttgart........7066 (4145).... .68 pax.........77%
Gibraltar..........3606 (3825)....139 pax.........80%
Athens............2459 (nil).......137 pax.........81%
Heraklion.........3232 (3251)....180 pax.........84%
Cork...............6846 (7470)......55 pax.........77%
Knock.............4215 (3204)......68 pax.........87%
Dublin............51893 (52960)..128 pax.........86%
Shannon..........4690 (3140).....38 pax.........72%
Waterford........2588 (2482).....72 pax.........92%
Bergamo............nil (4387)
Florence..........5570 (nil).........90 pax........76%
Milan MXP........8550 (4534).....69 pax........78%
Rome FCO........9185 (9113)...185 pax........91%
Trieste.............3149 (3011)...175 pax.......93%
Venice.............6829 (5376)...190 pax........89%
Malta..............3467 (3198)...??? pax.........??% A few KM pax included
Amsterdam.....45496 (39660)...92 pax........82%
Faro..............24442 (21527)..182 pax........94%
Oporto...........3061 (nil)..........81 pax........92%
Funchel..........3277 (2866).....182 pax........95%
Alicante........35377 (30123)..,160 pax........90%
Almeria...........4368 (3487)....182 pax.........97%
Barcelona......20013 (18708)...185 pax........92%
Girona...............nil (2853)
Ibiza.............15062 (14082)...141 pax.......87%
Mahon...........6096 (6807)......169 pax.......82%
Malaga.........32830 (34954)...181 pax........90%
Murcia...........5899 (6085).....174 pax........92%
Palma...........35413 (27447)...171 pax........94%
Reus..............4760 (4379).....170 pax...... 90%
Arrecife........15601 (12993) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Fuerteventura 8237 (6565) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Las Palmas.....8241 (7962)...187 pax.........91%
Tenerife........22116 (17665) incorrect split shown between schedule & IT
Gothenburg....1488 (1198).....30 pax.........61%
Arlanda...........nil... (1171)...
Reykjavik........1821 (o).........67 pax.........77%
Zurich...........8708 (9229).....84 pax.........84%
Bodrum.........4942 (4086)....190 pax.........89%
Dalaman.......10697(11070)...173 pax.........85%
Istanbul......10710 (10262)...122 pax.........80%
Kaunas.........3228 (2829)....179 pax.........95%
Bydgoscz......4774 (5040)....184 pax.........97%
Gdansk.........3252 (3238)....181 pax.........96%
Katowice......3305 (4633).....184 pax.........97%
Krakow.........3316 (2855)....184 pax..........97%
Rzesnow......nil (2909)............
Bratislava.....4690 (5096).....180 pax.........95%
Hurghada......1853 (0).........185 pax.........87%
Sharm.........5625 (5201).....208 pax..........97%
Ashkhabad....3276 (3058)....126 pax..........68%
Dubai..........48916 (46565)...394 pax.........92%
Delhi...........2968 (6774)
Amritsar.......3776 (nil)........199 pax..........78%
Islamabad....5795 (7914)......290 pax.........78%
Toronto.......2482 (2676)......310 pax.........91%
Newark........9762 (10002)....157 pax.........93%

Pete

crewmeal
22nd Sep 2014, 06:01
Not looking good for BHX as Air China increase their frequency to two a day.

ITAR-TASS: Press Releases - Air China to Increase its Beijing - London Service to Two Daily Flights (http://en.itar-tass.com/press-releases/750297)

All BHX can hope for is another carrier comes in or at least a repeat of this years charters.

insuindi
22nd Sep 2014, 09:05
Good to see how the increase in BE services&capacity has been absorbed by the market.

FFHKG
22nd Sep 2014, 09:45
It looks as though B'ham has missed out at the moment as Manchester is scheduled to get direct flights to Beijing next year. This was announced last week

"During a speech at a conference about UK-China links, Chancellor George Osborne said Hainan Airlines had been authorised by the Department for Transport to run a direct flight between Beijing and Manchester."

A new UK/China bi-lateral has been agreed with an increase in frequencies and also flights to Chinese cities other the four currently served from the UK - Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou & Chengdu

ATNotts
22nd Sep 2014, 10:52
During a speech at a conference about UK-China links, Chancellor George Osborne said Hainan Airlines had been authorised by the Department for Transport to run a direct flight between Beijing and Manchester."

The DfT has "authorised" but so far as I recall there's no service announcement yet by the airline.

That said, I too can't see BHX getting a direct China scheduled service in the next 12 months.

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2014, 11:05
The DfT has "authorised" but so far as I recall there's no service announcement yet by the airline

The Vice CEO of Hainan announced on 4th September in Paris that Manchester would be started in 2015. Staff have recently been recruited for the Manchester flights (1 base manager, 2 PSA and 3 back office staff to be based in 'Voyager')

Monty Gordo
22nd Sep 2014, 12:45
You may well be right. Me? I'm a half glass full kind of guy.

Last year we had nothing re China, this year we had China Southern charters which, by all accounts, were highly successful.

Next year i looking for more of the same but, hopefully, an extended season. And maybe that is the way to build up this vitally important link with China.

davebham
22nd Sep 2014, 20:26
I hope you're right. We have a strong industrial base here that has a lot of Chinese interest, a fair sized Chinese community, and we're geographically well placed for tourism too.

I don't buy this argument that because BHX sits between Manchester and Heathrow there isn't a market for increased long haul. If Shannon can support 5 US destinations with about 1/4 of BHX's passenger throughput, I don't see why we can't add 1 or 2.

GayFriendly
22nd Sep 2014, 21:37
I think you will find that SNN supports 5 US destinations because of the considerable VFR traffic flows between Ireland and the US and a strong inbound flow of US tourists to Ireland. This is a niche long haul market in a similar way that BHX has AI to DEL/ATQ and T5 to ASB and onwards to ATQ.

We have to face facts that it will be MAN and not BHX getting the first regional UK airport scheduled service to China. An expanded series of charters next year from BHX may well happen. Worthy as that is, as far as China goes that is all BHX can expect for now. We also have to remember that there have, apart from AI (and the blink and you missed them flights by US Airways in 2011 and Air Blue last year), been no new scheduled or charter long haul routes or airlines at BHX for a very considerable number of years with nothing new on the horizon despite the millions of pounds poured into terminal expansion and runway extension.

Long haul scheduled airlines serving the UK primarily want to fly into LHR with MAN being next choice of airport for market growth. There is perhaps scope for an additional Middle East flight at BHX. However, I would far rather see BHX do a deal with EZY and work harder with its existing airlines to further develop and grow its short haul route structure.

Fairdealfrank
22nd Sep 2014, 22:42
That said, I too can't see BHX getting a direct China scheduled service in the next 12 months.

Last year we had nothing re China, this year we had China Southern charters which, by all accounts, were highly successful.
Maybe not to Peking, maybe not in 12 months. Possibly in the longer term: Canton (China Southern) or Shanghai (China Eastern), who knows how it may turn out, many non-aviation factors may determine this (e.g. future trade levels, changing visa requirements, Heathrow expansion (or not)).

111KAB
23rd Sep 2014, 06:24
World Routes New passenger transit facility opens at Birmingham Airport - eTurboNews.com (http://www.eturbonews.com/50605/new-passenger-transit-facility-opens-birmingham-airport)

Fairdealfrank
23rd Sep 2014, 22:12
45 minutes for a transfer is impressive!

What were the times before the new facility opened?

crewmeal
24th Sep 2014, 05:28
Maybe they could allocate a couple in BHX's direction :ok:

China will need 100,000 more pilots over next 20 years (http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?news_id=2013290)

BobBHX
29th Sep 2014, 07:29
I was sitting on the TK flight at IST yesterday morning and the flight attendant made an announcement over the intercom:-

"Welcome to flight TK 1967 to London Birmingham Airport......"

I quickly realised that this was part of Paul Kehoe's masterplan. If you call the airport "London...." the long haul airlines are bound to come flocking.

getonittt
29th Sep 2014, 09:07
London Birmingham Airport

It could come between London Oxford airport and London Ashford airport for hilarity value.

With the risk of being moved to jetblast I think I have found the solution to England's social and economic problem with regards to the them and us attitude towards the capital... do away with all our town and city names from the Scottish border south and also along the welsh border and call everywhere London...:)

nigel osborne
29th Sep 2014, 11:33
Getonnit,

Talking of Berlin, good article in the latest Airliner World about the continuing delays at the new Berlin Airport,

Seems it might not open till at least 2017 !!

A further problem is that it was built with a maximum capacity of 27 million. Yet recent projections are that it will now need to be expanded before it opens as it is now expected over 30 million will use it in the 1st year of opening.

Nigel

hillwalker2004
29th Sep 2014, 20:48
Air India?s loss making international operations ? Analysis ? Part 2 - alarming costs - Bangalore Aviation (http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2014/09/air-indias-loss-making-international-operations-analysis-part-2-alarming-costs.html)

Few mentions of Air India and route performance at BHX. Interesting article.

Fairdealfrank
29th Sep 2014, 21:54
I was sitting on the TK flight at IST yesterday morning and the flight attendant made an announcement over the intercom:-

"Welcome to flight TK 1967 to London Birmingham Airport......"
You cannot be serious (as John McEnroe would say).

It could come between London Oxford airport and London Ashford airport for hilarity value.
Is it right that FR refer to BOH as "London West"?

With the risk of being moved to jetblast I think I have found the solution to England's social and economic problem with regards to the them and us attitude towards the capital... do away with all our town and city names from the Scottish border south and also along the welsh border and call everywhere London...
Bit unfair isn't it, why should the Scots and the Welsh be excluded?

On a more serious note, the media already do this to a large extent, usually adding (often wrong) compass points.

Getonnit,

Talking of Berlin, good article in the latest Airliner World about the continuing delays at the new Berlin Airport,

Seems it might not open till at least 2017 !!

A further problem is that it was built with a maximum capacity of 27 million. Yet recent projections are that it will now need to be expanded before it opens as it is now expected over 30 million will use it in the 1st year of opening.

Nigel
There's SXF next door with a terminal that can be used (they're already intending to use the rwy), and keep TXL open. Job done.

cheesebag
30th Sep 2014, 08:31
I've recently noticed quite a few billboards popping up around Walsall and West Bromwich promoting MAN. Seems that they are aiming at traditional BHX passengers.

111KAB
3rd Oct 2014, 12:19
WORLD ROUTES: Birmingham Airport Celebrates ?Best Routes Ever? :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/244684/world-routes-birmingham-airport-celebrates-best-routes-ever/?utm_source=the-hub&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=the-hub-EU)

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/244446/world-routes-birmingham-airport-welcomes-six-new-arrivals-to-its-departure-lounge/?utm_source=the-hub&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=the-hub-EU

nigel osborne
3rd Oct 2014, 14:45
Two notable weather diversions into BHX today;

G-ZBJD B787-8 British Airways on BA190 LHR from Austin.

4X-EKF B737-800 EL AL from Luton.

Nigel

Fairdealfrank
3rd Oct 2014, 19:19
WORLD ROUTES: Birmingham Airport Celebrates ?Best Routes Ever? :: Routesonline (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/244684/world-routes-birmingham-airport-celebrates-best-routes-ever/?utm_source=the-hub&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=the-hub-EU)

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/...ign=the-hub-EU (http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/244446/world-routes-birmingham-airport-welcomes-six-new-arrivals-to-its-departure-lounge/?utm_source=the-hub&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=the-hub-EU)

Excellent stuff, keep up the good work.

jon01
6th Oct 2014, 18:01
The Freebird Airlines A320 charter flights restart this week. The flights are operated for RSD Travel, who specialize in cultural tours of Turkey

There is an increase in flights compared to last winter, with up to three flights per week until April 22nd 2015 to Antalya and Izmir. Flights initially operate on Sundays and Tuesdays until December 2014, then switch to Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays, with some flights not operating on certain weeks and a break over Xmas/New Year

insuindi
8th Oct 2014, 09:25
Just as a data reference point regarding Air India - came across this stat:
02OCT2014
DEL-FRA AI 121 B788 VT-ANQ Y: ~ 30% [LF]

An airline that manages to fly into FRA at 30% LF (even if this may be a particular low point and is not representative) works along standards other than pure commercial drive...

ATNotts
8th Oct 2014, 10:38
Insuidi

An airline that manages to fly into FRA at 30% LF (even if this may be a particular low point and is not representative) works along standards other than pure commercial drive...

Air India is a toy of Indian politicians / governments and a source of constant employment to the burgeoning Indian civil service. If it makes money, then so much the better.

Monty Gordo
12th Oct 2014, 06:20
RYR Malaga to BHX delayed by up to seven hours today. Anyone know the reason? Now due 15.55....

yeo valley
12th Oct 2014, 09:14
sounds like a tech aircrafts to me. cant see any atc probs. or at a long shot changing times on this route.

OltonPete
12th Oct 2014, 09:49
Monty Gordo

The flight is operating from the BHX base rather than Malaga base, as Yeo Valley has stated probably a tech aircraft in Malaga. Although the actual aircraft used positioned in from Liverpool making the outbound only slightly late but of course the inbound very late.

On the same subject after years of 4 based in summer for 2015 it seems to show a change to three based except for August. The number of flights are around one less per day on average so not too bad with more away based flying.

Ibiza operating for one month is a little odd and I assume some more changes due especially as Dublin is four a day April, May and August but three in June and July.

Thomson

The Thursday Enfidha for summer 2015 is back and appears to on Germania.

Pete

j636
12th Oct 2014, 10:08
Not sure you will see changes to Dublin as June/July are peak season over there.

Monty Gordo
12th Oct 2014, 19:14
A little more flesh on the bone re the seven hours delay into BHX today. Passengers were informed that the early morning departure would be delayed because the Malaga based plane went tech.

However the plane they did eventually leave on seven hours later was not BHX based but an East Midlands based plane with a full load of passengers.

A flight deck announcement asked passengers to 'go easy' on the crew because they had already undergone several problems most notable of which was that the crew were delayed in arriving at the East Midlands. Fog??

Merely for interest, I am told the 5Euro voucher offered to passengers was just enough for a sandwich... Oh, and to make matters worse, no hot drinks on the journey home...

OltonPete
12th Oct 2014, 19:34
Monty Gordo

Yes it was EMA based - it positioned Liverpool East Mids (FR15) last night and then East Mids BHX this morning (FR3) and then positioned empty to East Mids this afternoon (FR4) - assuming FR24 is correct.

The fog issue might have been BHX this morning as there was holding and two diverts away at least (EI3264 to Bristol and BE3002 to Manchester).

Pete

SNNUS
13th Oct 2014, 21:01
US/AA back in BHX next summer should be announced soon.

OltonPete
13th Oct 2014, 21:36
SNNUS

I assume one of the "freed-up" 757's from the recent CLT route cull?

If not PHL after the last time, which if a 757 leaves only JFK realistically (ORD technically but hardly comfortable).

BHX is recognised in the AA drop-down but there again so is BLK so nothing significant there as had first thought.

BHX appears in the Qatar drop-down which is odd as it uses connections with other alliances. Example BHX-DOH is via Brussels on Brussels Airlines yes the same Brussels Airlines of Star Alliance - what is that all about?

Pete