View Full Version : MANCHESTER - 9

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

FRatSTN
12th Aug 2013, 08:28
I think if they have any sense they won't waste a penny doing that.

As it currently is they can easily manage to operate arrivals on 23R and departures on 23L (or arrivals on 05R, departures 05L when north-easterly ops) in dual runway ops.

All it would do is allow 05R departures and 23L arrivals and what is the benefit of that? Either way your aircraft is going to end up right at the bottom of the airfield miles from the terminals.

They certainly don't need to operate mixed mode so I really don't see the point in doing it.

Walshy95
12th Aug 2013, 22:33
Have EZY got any expansion plans for MAN in the short/medium term?

LAX_LHR
13th Aug 2013, 02:56
Emirates are to operate double daily A380 flights from 21st-30th September.

EK 17/18 and EK19/20 will be A380, with EK21/22 sill B77W. Flights are bookable on their website, and double daily A380 is expected to continue from 1st December as all A380's are needed elsewhere/have maintenance in Oct/Nov.

Good to see some expansion from Emirates again at MAN.

Mr Mac
13th Aug 2013, 19:20
LAX-LHR
Sad to hear of change on evening EK from 777 to 380 as always use that flight if possible in preference to lunch time 380 "Golf bus". I was told back in the spring that this was on the cards by EK crew, but hoped, as they did that this was untrue (they were northern ex pats):sad:. Anyway hope it does not get as loud as the crowd can be on the lunch time flight in the bar.

steve platt
13th Aug 2013, 19:29
Temporary to see how the pax loads hold up and to see how the handling agent and service partners handle it..... am sure there will be no probs and it will go permanent double daily from start of summer season 2014.

ManofMan
14th Aug 2013, 07:47
That's not the reason I have, it's only temporary due to equipment shortage, as soon as they have he aircraft they intend to go double daily.

RoyHudd
14th Aug 2013, 07:53
Used it recently. Very helpful, from a customer's point of view.

pwalhx
14th Aug 2013, 19:54
Interesting the view on the A380/777, I prefer the A380 any day to the 777 and don't really recognise the 'golf bus' description, each to their own I guess. What interests me more in my world is the prospect of Skycargo coming in, if and when, double daily becomes a permanent fixture.

roverman
14th Aug 2013, 22:15
In reply to gazza, above, and your remarks reference the southern parallel taxiway (Victor). This is unlikely to ever be extended to the full length of the runway. It would be extremely expensive to construct, requiring bigger tunnels over both the River Bollin and the A538. Last estimate was £60 million, and for what? The two runways cannot be used in mixed mode, it would only be of use at times when Runway 2 is being used alone, and this is normally when traffic is slack (at night). That sort of money would go some way to resolving the constraints inherent in the north side taxiways, where WW2 alignments remain and there are a couple of bottlenecks which make the whole system vulnerable to delays and disruption. Sections of Alpha and Juliet are to be rebuilt over the next 18-24 months, with improved alignments and (in the case of Alpha) upgrading to full Code F specification. Also in anticipation of increased A380 movements MAG are evaluating the modification of taxiways Charlie and Bravo to offer alternative routes to/from Stand 12.

gazza007
14th Aug 2013, 23:08
I see both sides of the argument in respect of Taxiways but you never know what will happen in the future. I'm a local guy who has grown up with the changes & had the privilige of smelling the Jet A1 both on the piers/brickworks and sitting in the left seat waiting for 20 mins on south side trying to find a gap between the heavies when it was just called 24/06.
EGCC has huge potential,don't get me wrong I'm sick to death of the disruptions with the ongoing peripheral infrastructure developments which will further establish its status. At the end of the day its about jobs and growth in our great city.
Ps still waiting for LGW to be picked up, approached FLYbe but not comitted.
Guess I'll have to start my own business:)

Shed-on-a-Pole
15th Aug 2013, 10:15
FlyBe is scrapping its LGW operation entirely due to operating costs. Any carrier attempting LGW-MAN with similar sized aircraft would have to address the same issues. With BAW having axed the route, EZY apparently uninterested, and APD inhibiting domestic flying ... well, I suppose it is going to be a long wait.

gazza007
16th Aug 2013, 00:55
APD is a real killer, I'm going to tweet that Farage chappie for his opinion

chaps2011
16th Aug 2013, 11:09
Emirates DXB to MAN July figures up 12% to 64432 from 54644
A very healthy rise also carried through at LGW, LHR, NCL and GLA
whilst BHX down 10% very strange

Chaps

LAX_LHR
17th Aug 2013, 06:27
There is an interview with the flynonstop CEO in this months airliner world.

He seems to single out Manchester (and Alterheim) as having strong forward bookings, which sounds encouraging.

Warrington-lad
17th Aug 2013, 13:24
all e-passport gates were shut again at terminal 1 at about 17:00 yesterday, it seems this isnt a rare occurrence either and the queues do start to build up quick. Im not complaining at the service at border control but it could cut a few minutes off the queue times if MAN actually used the e-passport gates rather than letting them collect dust.

CabinCrew747
17th Aug 2013, 13:55
all e-passport gates were shut again at terminal 1 at about 17:00 yesterday, it seems this isnt a rare occurrence either and the queues do start to build up quick. Im not complaining at the service at border control but it could cut a few minutes off the queue times if MAN actually used the e-passport gates rather than letting them collect dust.

Immigration times where over 2 hours at around 14:00 yesterday.

Thanks

MAN777
17th Aug 2013, 17:37
2 hrs :eek::eek:

If that is so its an absolute disgrace.

There are 2 things that put me off airports and locations, the first is waiting to get in and the second is waiting to get out.

If anyone with any influence on the Border agency (or whatever they call themselves this week) is reading this thread, your inefficiency is causing untold damage to the credibility and image of Manchester.

Warrington-lad
17th Aug 2013, 20:05
Security at MAN is okay, Its the immigration that needs altering and quick otherwise people will go to LPL and LHR especially if they have to wait 2 hours in immigration!!!

MKY661
17th Aug 2013, 21:47
I was in Terminal 2 on Monday and the Queues to get out of the baggage hall were also horrendous. Don't know why like.

Sionnach
17th Aug 2013, 23:01
Queue Times @ apts for Immigration.

A forced marriage Customs & Immigration that has gone so wrong ministers & managers won't admit it.

Lot's of experienced operational staff (due to the above, lack of moral & extremely poor management) left or where made redundant as the non-operational grades who the Government wanted to cut stayed in their cosy towers in Croydon.

A roster system based on teams that can't match resources, managers will not revert as will be seen to admit they got it wrong (the officers have been telling them for two years).

E-gates are slower than experienced staff in processing pax but managers again will not admit that is the case.

Demerger of immigration enforcement & customs inland teams means that they can't help out borders during the summer peaks.

Spreading of the pain I.e. officers from EDI & GLA travelling to MAN to try to cut queues causing queues @ EDI & GLA.

I could go on but just to say that it is not the operational staff who are at fault but that of Border Force (yes our 4th name in 4years) is poorly funded, poorly trained, poorly managed but look on the Bright side more cuts to funding are on the way.

For the record Border Force demerged from Border Agency in 2012, Border Agency ceased to exist in 2013 it's functions returning to the Home Office.:ugh:

LAX_LHR
18th Aug 2013, 12:17
There seems to be some confusion on another site that Saudi have handed back their MAN slots.

They have not handed slots back, and in fact the flights have now made it into GDS preview, but not yet bookable:

SV198 JED 0425 MAN 0815
SV199 MAN 1010 JED 1935

Wed, Fri, Sun B777-200 from 22nd Jan

(GDS has this start date but could be earlier/later as full details are not yet loaded)

steve platt
18th Aug 2013, 18:54
Thanks for confirming that about Saudia Lax Lhr. I thought they hadnt handed slots back as i have had a conversation with a hotel about Taking care of there transport needs. Im glad to see them back and cant wait for the next big long haul announcement:eek:

mhk77
19th Aug 2013, 06:41
EK19/20 changing from B773 to A380 from September 21st-September 30th.

Bit of a strange one. Why just for those days? Atrial run to see if it's viable on a more permanent basis maybe?

LAX_LHR
19th Aug 2013, 06:52
EK19/20 changing from B773 to A380 from September 21st-September
30th.

Bit of a strange one. Why just for those days? Atrial run to see
if it's viable on a more permanent basis maybe?

Discussed on the last page. Its down to high demand initially and also to see how MAN copes with double daily A380 ops. Looking to be made a permanent change as soon as a frame is available.

Skipness One Echo
19th Aug 2013, 10:36
and also to see how MAN copes with double daily A380 ops.
What would the expected issues be? Does it conflict with a wave of arrivals at that time in T1?

LAX_LHR
19th Aug 2013, 10:57
What would the expected issues be? Does it conflict with a wave of arrivals
at that time in T1

The main reason is the higher than expected forward bookings, but, Im genuinely unsure what the issue is regarding the trial. T1 arrivals not exactly heaving around 19:15 (just 2x Lufthansa jungle jets, 1x Easyjet and 1x Jet2).
The departure period of 21:00-21:35 is only marginally busier with 6 departures.

Having handled an A380 for nearly 3 years, and on some days dispatching 2 A380 within 1 hour (LHR diverts and delays from previous days), its strange to think that MAN requires a 'trial', however, this is the story I was told and maybe complete balderdash?

ManofMan
19th Aug 2013, 15:46
As I have mentioned before, I have been told that this is due to equipment shortages and from end of October it will go to double daily.

steve platt
19th Aug 2013, 19:48
Man of Man...... Please can you enlighten us as to your source for the Emirates news? Today i spoke to 2 people who are very much in the know about the Emirates flights into man and neither would confirm that they are going double daily permanent.... The company i work for at Man has just signed a 6 year supply contract with Emirates and they sstill wouldnt confirm anything to me!! So please man of man let me know your source even if its by a Private message.... Thanks :)

LAX_LHR
23rd Aug 2013, 05:54
Egyptair to Cairo now fully bookable for the winter season. Still daily ex-Mon/Wed and still on B737-800. Good to see them continue, they have had good loads considering the issues in Cairo.

Lufthansa to introduce B77F on the LH8165 from December. Being reported as a new route on another site but is not new, currently served every Thursday with MD11F, so is just an aircraft type change. LH cargo will still be 3 weekly as now.

ManofMan
23rd Aug 2013, 09:31
According to ACL the slots for Saudia have defiantly been handed back.

ManofMan
23rd Aug 2013, 09:34
Flynonstop have brought forward the start date from the 03 rd Jan to the 01st November.

LAX_LHR
23rd Aug 2013, 09:38
According to ACL the slots for Saudia have defiantly been handed back.

They have handed back the 4 they do not intend to use. They had applied for 7, (for either daily flights or to have flexibility of which days they wanted to operate).

The 3 slots for Wed, Fri and Sun are still live and their GDS preview is still live.

I personally think they will start in S14, but, everything is still open for a W13/14 start should they want to.

nigel osborne
23rd Aug 2013, 11:38
LAX-LHR,

Love your optimism, really not sure they can fill 3 777s when the region is already well covered by EK, EY QR.Hope Im wrong

However you never know at MAN remember Gulf Air flying for ages when sometimes they were virtually empty.

Hope they do come, and a nice colour scheme for us spotters too. :)

Nigel

LAX_LHR
23rd Aug 2013, 11:44
Love your optimism, really not sure they can fill 3 777s when the region is
already well covered by EK, EY QR.Hope Im wrong

Firstly, its not about optimism, its about what is physically there to view. The flights are in GDS preview, the CEO has stated they want to fly to Manchester next year so obviously he sees a market.

Secondly, EK/EY have seen 95%+ loads over the past 3 weeks from MAN, with many flights full, so, obviously the market is not as saturated as some think. EK would not be putting an extra A380 into MAN if the market was about full, so, still some wiggle room yet.

nigel osborne
23rd Aug 2013, 13:47
LAX-LHR

If they applied for 7 slots, but hand back 4 you may be right in that they wanted to pick some days out of those, thats your glass half full.

However it may also be the case they have decided they cannot fill 7. Wouldn't they apply for say 3 days and then increase if demand was there ,not the other way around.Thats the glass half empty I suppose :)

Anyway hope they do come as I pointed out.

Nigel

LAX_LHR
23rd Aug 2013, 14:05
Nigel,

My apologies I missed your point.

I thought you were saying that they may not come at all and questioning the route in general. This could always be the case that it does not happen, as with any route news, but there seems to be more evidence they do want to serve MAN than not. Probably a bit like Air India at BHX. When it was very first mooted, probably many said 'believe that when I see it'. Saudia is MAN's version of that, having served here in the past too.

I agree that I doubt they could fill 7 B777's per week, but 3 weekly should suffice for any O&D as well as some connections. I would suggest the main driver of the route, especially as a B777 is being planned rather than the A320 that other smaller European markets see, is cargo.

We have a Saudia Cargo B747 visiting again on 2nd Sept, so seems the cargo market is indeed a big part of the route.

On a separate note, it is good to see growth in the cargo market again. Its no secret the cargo figures for MAN have made for some pretty dire reading, but Saudia running the odd B747 flight, LH cargo expanding again (will be 4 weekly as opposed to 3 this winter), China Airlines cargo looking to return and Cathay becoming more regular again (had cancelled many flights over the start of the year) points to an upturn at long last.

nigel osborne
23rd Aug 2013, 17:15
LAX-LHR

yes think 3 a week might be ok.

LH 777Fs would be nice too, will they be Aero logic or new ones in their own colours ?

Nigel

LAX_LHR
23rd Aug 2013, 18:07
The Lufthansa B77Fs will be new ordered in LH colours. Will eventually replace the MD11 fleet, so mixed feelings as it means another 3 holer service from MAN slowly diminishing.

With regards to the Saudia slots, what is also worth remembering is that the airlines themselves can get a bit excited with holding slots.
Saudia having 4 extra pairs than they require is nothing when you consider that back when Qatar were 4 weekly, they applied and held for 1 season 21 slot pairs. Delta have done similar and back before easyjet based at MAN, they held over 100 slots 1 summer! TAP were another candidate that applied for slots every season since 2004 until they finally used them.

The slots themselves therefore can mean little, but when flights make it to a GDS screen I do get a little more hopeful.

Skipness One Echo
23rd Aug 2013, 18:26
Is it just me (more than likely), but the expression "three holer", which is on common usage across on airliners.net, is always heard in my head voiced by Kenneth Williams. How about using the classic British usage, "trijet". It has less "ohhhhh Matron" about it....

As you were.

Lufthansa colours should look awesome on the Triple. Any sign of the Cathay B747-8F?

LAX_LHR
23rd Aug 2013, 18:34
Is it just me (more than likely), but the expression "three holer", which is
on common usage across on airliners.net, is always heard in my head voiced by Kenneth Williams. How about using the classic British usage, "trijet". It has less "ohhhhh Matron" about it....

Haha. Well Im not one of those who uses sexual references to describe an airliner. Always think people need their head testing when they describe an airliner/colour scheme as 'sexy' an the likes. Its a piece of metal, rather reserve sexy for those that warrant it (Isla Fisher for example).

Any sign of the Cathay B747-8F?

Not as yet. The plan to send them to Europe seems to have gone cold again. No doubt they will appear at some point. Just like the -200's, the -400's have to be replaced at some point.

LAX_LHR
23rd Aug 2013, 19:12
All this talk of slots has made me look in the archives to see 'services that never were' (routes applied for but never operated):

2003:

EUjet applied to base 6 aircraft at MAN for various Euro routes
Delta 2nd daily ATL service
Mahan air 1 weekly to Tabriz with A310/A300
Lufthansa sixth daily Munich (never realised it got to 5 daily)
LTE applied for daily A320 to Barcelona
Malaysian wanted to go 6 weekly B747-400
Afriquayah to Tripoli

2004:

Delta applied for 2nd daily ATL again
Iberia 2 daily MD87 to MAD
AV8 to DEL/DUR/PLZ with B767-300
Malev daily BUD nightstopper with B737
Icelandair based B767 to operate CPT!
Virgin express 2 daily to BRU
Afriquayah to Tripoli

2005:

Afriquayah to Tripoli (notice a pattern here)
Air India 3 weekly DEL-MAN-YYZ and return (went to BHX)
Swiss daily year round GVA
Malev 3 daily to BUD
Royal Jordanian 2 weekly A310 to AMM
Cathay pacific 4 weekly to HKG via SVO
Centralwings daily to Warsaw
Easyjet 5 based B737-700

2006:

Atlas Blue 2 weekly to Marrakech
Condor daily MUC with A320
Meridina to CAG/OLB up to 4 weekly
Lithuanian 3 weekly to VNO
Qatar 2nd daily
United daily IAD with B767-300
Blue1 2 weekly to HEL
Air Baltic to VNO 3 weekly
Transaero 1 weekly to VKO

More to follow.....

steve platt
23rd Aug 2013, 19:40
Im sure back in 2004 AV8 did operate to those said destinations..... i remember transporting there crews about..... they didnt last for long tho!

Good news about saudia am glad there returning and they have been in touch with my office for transport needs so its all good..... also good news about egypt being all year round tho i was confident that was happening.....

Sholto Douglas
23rd Aug 2013, 21:20
Those were the heady days when the initial slot requests always looked so attractive and yet, when hand-back time came along, we were always left with a feeling of having been let down. There was however always the lure of another summer and the promise of more interesting flights of fantasy to come.

Mr A Tis
24th Aug 2013, 09:58
Steve, AV8 did operate to CPT some days direct, some days via DUB- often the return did a tech stop in PMI. (2004)
They used an Icelandair B763 TF-FIB.
As far as I know, they did not operate the applied for DEL/DUR/PLZ

steve platt
24th Aug 2013, 19:08
Thanks Mr a tis...... i thought they did.... im also pretty sure they had a 757 for euro charters..... they were indeed the days:)

chaps2011
24th Aug 2013, 19:24
Steve yes they did have a B757 and I think that was the last part of the operation to close, was a rather fetching colour scheme
Photos: Boeing 757-23A Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/AV8-Air/Boeing-757-23A/1304702/&sid=a9c8e562f61d8e62610bc8f9b7ef49d3)

Chaps

LN-KGL
24th Aug 2013, 21:29
Due AV8's unsuccessful AOC application, the 752 was only used for weekly pilot training around Manchester. On 4 May 2004 G-OAVB was flown to Southend for repaint to Astreaus colours. The last time I saw her in AV8 colours was during the weekend 1-2 May 2004, at that time she was parked up to the North of Terminal 2 (today's temporary car park area).

spannersatcx
25th Aug 2013, 07:41
Any sign of the Cathay B747-8F?

They have flown to europe, just not as far as MAN as yet. The ERF's and -8's will make up the freighter fleet with all the BCF's and RR powered ones scrapped/sold. Should the freight market ever pick up you might see more than the 2 a week at MAN at present! :ouch:

roverman
25th Aug 2013, 08:14
Freight has always under-performed at MAN relative to the passenger throughput. There was a brief bubble back in 2008-9 when we hit c.170k tonnes p.a., followed by the most spectacular collapse to c.100k tonnes within 3 or 4 years. Historically, 100k has been something of a ceiling, hard to break through despite booming passenger traffic. Passengers are firmly back in growth now and within 10% of the all time high, yet freight is nowhere, although there are signs that we may have hit the bottom now. Cathay at 2 or 3 per week would have been unthinkable 5 years ago. MAN is a strange animal, with a mismatch between passengers and freight traffic. Northerners seem keen once again to go on holiday and travel on business, but not to spend lots on Chinese imported goods. I suppose it also has something to do with being on the edge of the EU. Freight is quite happy to travel some distance on a truck to be consolidated at a point of departure, whilst the self-loading variety is not.

Capetonian
25th Aug 2013, 08:25
I flew out of MAN T1 earlier this week. Checkin (Jet2) and security were fast and efficient despite the long queues, which moved fast and were well controlled.

Then the horrible walk through the shopping mall to get to the departure area. This really annoys me, I am not interested in buying 'duty free' (which isn't) and resent having to force my way through a maze of perfume, fags, booze and Toblerone whilst being held up by fat people with huge baskets blocking my way and sales people waving stuff in my face in a misguided attempt to buy stuff I don't want.

Unless I've missed something, there isn't a 'direct' route to get to the departure gates without being subjected to the 'in your face' shopping mall experience. There should be. This applies to many other airports but MAN appeared worse in this respect than many others.

Apart from that, a good airport experience.

All names taken
25th Aug 2013, 09:14
Unless I've missed something, there isn't a 'direct' route to get to the departure gates without being subjected to the 'in your face' shopping mall experience. There should be. This applies to many other airports but MAN appeared worse in this respect than many others.

There is. Kind of.

The quickest way through by far is to walk past the Ritazza Coffee place on your right and aim for the far right hand corner of the perfume/booze experience. Then keep as hard right as you can at every opportunity and you will be out in a few seconds.....in to the other shops of course but at least that's more pleasant.

MKY661
25th Aug 2013, 09:15
I flew out of MAN T1 earlier this week. Checkin (Jet2) and security were fast and efficient despite the long queues, which moved fast and were well controlled.

Then the horrible walk through the shopping mall to get to the departure area. This really annoys me, I am not interested in buying 'duty free' (which isn't) and resent having to force my way through a maze of perfume, fags, booze and Toblerone whilst being held up by fat people with huge baskets blocking my way and sales people waving stuff in my face in a misguided attempt to buy stuff I don't want.

Apart from that, a good airport experience.

I flew out of T2 a couple of weeks ago and it's basically the same of what you said there :) Only difference is the distance from security to the Gates is shorter and also there are some gates in the departure lounge itself. Passport Queues can be a nightmare as well when coming back and also surprisingly the queue to get out of the baggage hall was very bad :)

brian_dromey
25th Aug 2013, 09:54
Something has to pay the bills. These days the actual airport operation is costlier than ever but airlines (and their passengers) want to pay less and less. In the same way airlines charge for coffee, baggage and seat assignments airports need to loom for alternative revenue streams. The question is would you rather walk through a retail store or drive to LPL? Because that is more or less the choice.

Suzeman
25th Aug 2013, 10:15
Passengers are firmly back in growth now and within 10% of the all time high, yet freight is nowhere, although there are signs that we may have hit the bottom now.

In the past, flown freight throughput has mirrored the economy but about 6 months to a year ahead of published economic figures, so hopefully you are right.

Freight is quite happy to travel some distance on a truck to be consolidated at a point of departure, whilst the self-loading variety is not.

Indeed. It would be interesting to know how the throughput of the airport's transit sheds have done. In a study about 10 yeas ago it was estimated that the throughput in them was about 50% more than the flown figures with freight coming in to be consolidated / broken down on trucks from the SE, Brussels and AMS.

In addition, an unknown amount of air freight from the region was trundling up and down the M6 for consolidation elsewhere.

pwalhx
25th Aug 2013, 10:16
Re Shops: It is exactly the same arrangement in many airports I have been to in the world. I really don't understand the problem as if, like me, you don't want to buy anything you just walk through.

Re Cargo: Speaking as someone who works for a reasonably sized logistics company more freight is moving by sea nowadays rather than air to save costs. Buyers have realised it is better to order earlier or wait a few extra weeks to save a lot of money on freight costs. The growth will be with the integrators and whilst we have feeders with the like of FedEx we are not a hub and that's where volumes would come. Manchester came late to the idea of the benefits of cargo tbh.

Suzeman
25th Aug 2013, 18:16
Thanks for the update pwalhx.

Capetonian
25th Aug 2013, 18:29
I really don't understand the problem as if, like me, you don't want to buy anything you just walk through.

The problem is that you can't just walk through in a straight line, you are forced to zig and zag and the aisles are delibrately narrow so that you get held up behind other people. I quite understand the need that airports have to bring in supplementary revenue but there comes a point where they will alienate customers..

Bagso
25th Aug 2013, 18:58
Its as well we rely "northerners" re business/holidays as the NW tourist board have totally abdicated bringing tourists into Manchester despite a tourism boom in Chester etc.

chaps2011
25th Aug 2013, 21:00
Plenty of foreign tourists in Manchester when you walk round and I think
Manchester is about 3rd most visited tourist area in UK

Chaps

116d
25th Aug 2013, 21:20
There's also Liverpool down the road which attracts tourism for the musical and sporting history, and there's also the Lake District further north which is well-served from MAN by rail services to Barrow and Windermere as well as road. MAN, as well as LPL, acts a gateway.

LAX_LHR
25th Aug 2013, 21:33
Services that never were continued:

2007:

Kenyan 3 weekly NBO-CDG-MAN with B767-300
Austrian 3 daily VIE with F70
(Not much exciting this year)

2008:

Easyjet planned 3 based A319 with MAD/BFS/SXF amongst routes
FedEx nightly BFS-MAN-STN
Loganair daily DND
LOT 6 weekly WAW
Swiss 4 weekly year round GVA
Volare daily MXP
Qatar 15 weekly A330 to DOH
Air Syhlet 4 weekly VIE with A320 (dodged a bullet there)

2008 was the last year cancelled slots are shown in the reports, it only lists new operators from this point on. The ones listed are only the highlights, but all are viewable in the link below if you are interested and fancy some bedtime reading:

Airport Coordination Limited - Reports/Statistics - Manchester Airport (http://www.acl-uk.org/reportsStatistics.aspx?id=98&subjectId=45)

Capetonian
25th Aug 2013, 21:38
I seem to remember that probably some time in the late 80s, SAA had a weekly JNB-CDG-MAN service. Maybe it was just discussed and never happened?

LAX_LHR
25th Aug 2013, 21:54
SAA definitely did run a MAN flight, have many photo's of the SAA B747's at MAN, but someone else will have to give the details of the service as I don't remember where it ran to (CPT/JNB or both?) or how frequently.

Logohu
25th Aug 2013, 23:10
SAA did run once or twice weekly services Jo'burg/Paris/Manchester with 747-200s from 1997, but from memory it didn't last more than a couple of years.
Now they don't even serve Paris with their own aircraft, preferring instead to codeshare with their Star Alliance partners

Skipness One Echo
25th Aug 2013, 23:44
SAA was a B743 on a Tues and a few other days when I made a point of chasing it in 1991. Excuse me as I pick myself off the floor as I have just realised that was 22 years ago.
Tuesday was B747 day and my first flight (on a BA ATP) and my first visit to MAN. Highlights, all pre ME3 and Alliances of course :

AA55 B763 (still...)
BA183 L1011-200
BA118 B742 ISB-MAN-LGW
PK B742
SA B742
TS L1011
SQ B743
CX B744

MARK9263
26th Aug 2013, 05:59
Began a weekly flight on 27 March 1990 (Tues) as SAA228/9 operating to JNB VIA ORY.

Added a Sunday flight on 5th November 1993.

From 27th March 1994:
SAA226/7 Tue to JNB VIA CPT.
SAA228/9 Sun to JNB.

Last flight 30th August 1994 ZS-SAN SAA226/7.

spannersatcx
26th Aug 2013, 08:06
CX also operated a 343 via ZRH.

nigel osborne
26th Aug 2013, 09:48
Skipness One Echo,

Pretty sure BA used to operate another 747 route as well as Islammabad was it Delhi or can anyone else remember where it went ?

Also British Airtours 747s to Orlando although expect they were charters ?

The curse of Airline Alliances for spotters put pay to many long HAUL routes :{

Nigel

roverman
26th Aug 2013, 09:51
Remembering some heady days in those previous posts, but things are not so bad today, Life is always interesting and changing at MAN, it's a rather unique and fascinating airport.

Will we ever see the likes of CX and SAA back? Here's my neck on the block...

CX - Yes (greater than evens chance) when A350s come into the fleet.

SAA - No (greater than evens chance), but possibly a direct JNB flight by an emerging African carrier.

Skipness One Echo
26th Aug 2013, 09:53
The Orlando route was later operated by BA on a LGW based B747. Didn't they also do HKG?

Ringwayman
26th Aug 2013, 10:13
BA converted the 2 weekly L1011 MAN originating service to 2 weekly service to 2 weekly service originating at LHR then moved it to LGW with same days and times as CX. other routes originating at LGW : JFK, Islamabad, Orlando and Barbados.

Betablockeruk
26th Aug 2013, 10:22
It's all in here somewhere

Ringway Publications - AIRLINE OPERATORS (http://www.ringwaypublications.com/airline-operators/)

Something to distract you from the bank holiday diy project. :)

Capetonian
26th Aug 2013, 10:57
but possibly a direct JNB flight by an emerging African carrier.
Pigs will fly sooner than a succesful African start up.

Warrington-lad
26th Aug 2013, 13:15
There is a partially new airline from africa that only started up last year called fastjet. If you look who it was set up by, pigs should be flying in the next few years.

and for those who cant be bothered typing in fastjet into a search engine it was established by Stelios, founder of easyjet.

rutankrd
26th Aug 2013, 13:42
Quote:

and for those who cant be bothered typing in fastjet into a search engine it was established by Stelios, founder of easyjet

And many doggy Lonrho and Chinese dealings behind the scenes however best not go there in a Manchester thread !::rolleyes:

Skipness One Echo
26th Aug 2013, 15:38
Son of a billionaire, Stelios' track record of succesful business ventures is much more miss than hit. He founded easyJet which his management team built into a pan European success, however he acts like it's his own personal toy and his recent petulant outbursts do him no credit.

If I started out with billions in the family war chest I bet I could do as well or better.

nigel osborne
26th Aug 2013, 16:37
Betablockeruk.

Thanks.. thats a great link :ok: ,looked at just 1 year so far 1986; :D

Yes was right, BA 747s Delhi and also Bombay via Hing Kong. Interesting to see KLM A310s listed Royal Air Maroc and a stack of Emery DC-8S on US cargo flights, to name just a few.

Look at some years more later. :)

Nigel

LAX_LHR
26th Aug 2013, 17:06
Interesting to see KLM A310s listed

Swissair also regularly used to operate the A310 to Manchester (Im sure they also used their B747-300 once too?), and more recently Lufthansa used to use the A300.

BA have tried many routes from MAN over the years. JFK, Toronto, Los Angeles, Hong Kong, Islamabad, Delhi and fairly regular concorde charters to Barbados too, just to name a few.

LAX_LHR
26th Aug 2013, 17:08
In other news, Virgin are to rotate some of the LHR based A330-300 fleet (3 class aircraft) through MAN during September. VKSS/VSXY are to be reconfigured to 3 class so the A330's from LHR will be used on the morning Orlando until the B747 takes over from the winter season.

nigel osborne
26th Aug 2013, 18:37
LAX-LHR

Yes remember the Swiss A310s,sure I saw AF /A300/310s as well at MAN ?

Seemed such good days at many of our big airports , suppose with the low cost airlines today and alliances, they have destroyed so much diversity.

How boring is LHR for example now for spotters,nowhere to spot from inside and monotonous movements with hardly any aircraft surprises to keep us interested.

Progress I will be told by the youngsters no doubt.

Nigel

Ringwayman
26th Aug 2013, 19:59
Spotter mode....
Swissair operated ad-hoc A310s then switched to Fri/Sat/Sun ops for them around November 1987, with MD80s/DC9s on the other days. Think it was another 2 to 3 years before it was A310s on all flights; we did have 2 Dc10s come in.

Air France put A310s/A300s on whenever there was an "event" (normally football) that involved a Paris side playing a northwest England side (plus Euro 96). Saw 2 or 3 AF 747s here (not including those days with the fuel problems at CDG/Orly!).

Lufthansa used both A310s and A300s intermittently (likewise with Euro96), though on at least one occasion, we had 2 737s operating within an hour or so of each other as LH074 and LH074A.

And showing my age... I remember the Monday morning and Friday lunchtime KL DC8s when I was at Parrs Wood High School.

Alitalia also used the A300 for the Student Games in Sheffield in 1991 and I'm sure Olympic used A300s on a couple of occasions?

Warrington-lad
27th Aug 2013, 00:26
Sorry if my last post sounded cocky, it wasn't meant to be.

Any chance of VIR using B787-9's ('s is being optimistic) at MAN they're due to start arriving late 2014 and could fit nicely on MAN-LAS

LAX_LHR
27th Aug 2013, 08:35
Wonder if there is anything in this?

Just had a nights stay at the MacDonald hotel Manchester, and 5 'suits' from Air Asia got out of the lift as I got in. Could only read 2 of their passes, one was ramp operations manager and other was network and strategy manager. Couldn't see the other 3 badges.

Thought they had given up on Europe?

jubilee
27th Aug 2013, 08:56
Perhaps come to watch the United v Chelsea match.
J.

LAX_LHR
27th Aug 2013, 10:31
Not sure why they would travel to/from KUL in their work gear to watch a match, especially as they are noy affiliated with any of the 2 teams?

Frankfurt_Cowboy
27th Aug 2013, 10:34
Maybe they were checking out the boy Rooney for Tony. Anyone else noticed how he looks like an Asian Adrian Chiles?

RoyHudd
27th Aug 2013, 16:51
Saturday and Sunday lunchtime, we joined the Dayne hold and burnt costly fuel whilst MAN was operating a single departure/arrival runway. ATC did their best to keep the traffic flowing. Why a single runway operation. After all, the airport has spent a great deal installing a 2nd runway.

What is the reason for this? Is it a fire cover issue, ATC manpower perhaps, or simply cost-saving. Or perhaps it is a noise abatement agreement, to help the Knutsford and Mobberley folk enjoy peaceful lunches?

Ultimately the airlines and hence their passengers will bear the brunt of this in £ terms. I know this is not a recent development, but I do not fully comprehend it. All I do know is that it is not good. Except maybe for the airport authorities.

TSR2
27th Aug 2013, 17:34
It was my understanding that approval for the second runway was based on peak-time ops only where one runway would be dedicated to arrivals whilst the other dedicated to departures. The plan was 23L departures and 23R arrivals, alternatively 05L departures and 05R landings. Hence the new runway was built without a parallel taxiway and lower standard landing aids.

I agree that it is someway less than optimum use of a new expensive runway.

RoyHudd
27th Aug 2013, 20:23
TSR2, thank you for the clarification.

In reality, as you infer, 23L is not much use as a runway for a stream of inbound traffic, but could be used for departures at any time. With 23R as the landing runway.

We were holding Sunday to land on 05L. Nothing on earth wrong with the longer, ILS-fitted 05R. Just that all aircraft had to use 05L.

There is a reason why MAN aren't using 2 runways. Countless airports around the globe have 2, 3, or 4 runways, and use them simultaneously. MAN cannot manage 2 when needed. What is this reason?

Sholto Douglas
27th Aug 2013, 20:33
The problem is, I believe, probably down to finance. To run the 2nd runway means additional staffing, both ATC and Fire cover. I suspect, but am not certain, that there may be a clause in the 'Cheshire agreement' for the use of the runway.

Personally I agree that it would be better if dual operations were in use between 0600-2000.

Sholto Douglas
27th Aug 2013, 20:38
Agree, why would Air Asia personnel be in uniform if just attending a match?

It does seem very strange when the airline no longer serves the UK.

TSR2
27th Aug 2013, 21:07
MAN cannot manage 2 when needed

I believe this comment is a little unfair. MAN do manage two runways and some may say very well. The point is why is there restricted use of 2 runway operations.

I believe it has nothing to do with economics but entirely due to permission to operate 2 runways during specified time periods only.

Incidentally, I understand the EK A380 uses only 23R or 05L (Runway1) irrespective of traffic pattern at the time.

chaps2011
27th Aug 2013, 21:18
No now but was at first but with times of ops it will anyway until the 2nd service next month

chaps

Curious Pax
27th Aug 2013, 22:24
As with most things, getting planning permission for 23L/05R required compromise. Part of this was agreement 106 with the local councils, which basically limited use of the new runway when traffic was below certain levels (had a quick google, but haven't tracked down the fine detail yet).

As traffic levels are now increasing, the airport seem to be aware of the fact, as they are currently conducting a trial extension to the opening hours Mon-Fri 0530-0930 and 1200-1900 GMT (I think that's 30 mins longer in the morning, and 2-3 hours longer in the afternoon. If holding at a weekend lunchtime is becoming prevalent I imagine that those hours will also see expansion ultimately.

I would guess that other than hardcore NIMBYs, now that runway 2 has been in use for over a decade, a gradual expansion of it's hours will be a lot less noticeable than it would have been from day 1.

FRatSTN
28th Aug 2013, 08:39
I know that a few years ago Runway 2 (05R/23L) was in operation from 06:00-12:00, and then again from 15:00-21:00 local time, Daily!

That was then changed to 06:30-10:30, and then again from 16:00-20:00 local time Mon-Fri. Then it is just 06:30-10:30 on Sat, and then only 16:00-20:00 on Sun. (So it would go about 30 hours with single runway ops.) I'm not entirely sure why they cut its use that much though.

I wasn't aware it had increased recently by 3 hours a day. Are the weekend times still the same as before? And are the longer opening hours here to stay?

chaps2011
28th Aug 2013, 09:04
At present there is a 2 week trial during day as it is getting so busy mid afternoon

Chaps

Sholto Douglas
28th Aug 2013, 17:57
I wonder whether you would not be better using your energy to get your airline to contact the airport to get an answer on your behalf? I am sure that they are as concerned as you are with regards to the waste of fuel and time as a result of the delays that you experience.

Does your airline not have its own internal system all allow you to voice your worries?

RoyHudd
29th Aug 2013, 09:36
Never thought of that :ugh:

Musket90
30th Aug 2013, 19:58
2 week trial using 05R/23L weekdays from 1300L now extended until October.

j636
30th Aug 2013, 21:17
Is a trail actually required, its not as if ATC have never operated dual runway ops. They do it everyday and mornings is the same as lunchtime.

MAN777
30th Aug 2013, 21:52
Earlier in the thread I stated I would report back on my experience on these recent flights.

Business in Amman last week required reasonable timed flights coupled with cost. Egyptair came back as the cheapest and quickest. So bit of a no brainer really.

MAN Check in and security check less than 15 minutes and access to Servisair business lounge, not quite Emirates but OK with great views of the airport.

Egyptair newish B737-800, 20 Business seats and one business pax (me) with the back appearing almost full.

Business in flight service not bad but again not EK standards, dry so no beer or wine. Only option was Salmon which I cannot stand, instead credit must be given to creativeness of the flight attendant who offered one of the flight deck meals (very nice chicken Captain !!) hope you enjoyed my salmon.

4 hrs 50 on the ground at Cairo, quick airside bus transfer to the terminal and 15 minutes later inside the Egyptair lounge (1 of 4) which was very busy and on the small side, snack selection OK. 2 hrs later after another slick bus transfer airborne to Amman.

Reverse routing was much the same but in daylight, 2nd transfer at Cairo (8 am) was much busier, the terminal was heaving with pax with little seating available, business lounge full but better than outside.

Incidentely, there was absolutely no sign of any unrest or increased security inline with the city itself.

Flight to MAN had 10 Business PAX this time and the back again appeared pretty full.

Arrived back at T1 MAN and whizzed past the border control line by using biometric passport, only to be delayed in the baggage hall because our flight was put on the small carousel 6 which quickly became gridlocked by unclaimed bags (owners stuck upstairs) the auto feed wouldnt release any more bags as there was no room, so frustrated pax started to empty it to get things moving.

If you are still with me at this point, to summarise the Egyptair flight will be considered again for my future travel plans as it offers a credible, well timed and economical option to the near / middle east.

Long may it continue.:D

roverman
30th Aug 2013, 21:58
The trial is not for ATC to practice what they already know. It is to assess the effect upon on-time-performance, the measure which is so important to airlines these days. Recent traffic growth at MAN has put pressure on 'Slot 2' which occurs in the early afternoon when the airport has been running on a single runway. Delays have built up in this time, as discussed on this forum. early indications are that dual-runways during Slot 2 make a big difference- reducing delays and holding. The trial has been extended to mid-October, 7 days a week, to allow a more extensive assessment of the benefit. Occasionally ATC staffing availability may mean it can't be achieved.

LBIA
30th Aug 2013, 22:20
Makes you wonder what happened to the bags that were removed from the baggage belt? I wouldn't be happy waiting for a long period to clear customs to then find my bags are no longer there because somebody off another flight was so impatient.

And how often dose this happen at MAN? I know I will get a reaction.

TSR2
30th Aug 2013, 23:32
to then find my bags are no longer there because somebody off another flight was so impatient.

I don't think MAN777 is saying that. I understand he/she is saying that the belt was clogged with passengers bags from the same flight but who had yet to clear immigration. In that case the removed bags would simply be on the floor by the side of the carousel. I don't see a problem.

MAN777
31st Aug 2013, 10:29
TSR 2

Correct

They were just put on the floor.

Belt 6 is in a side hall and used for Belfast flights normally but can be opened up to International arrivals, its obviously not big enough to take the contents of a B737-800

North West
31st Aug 2013, 11:23
It is to assess the effect upon on-time-performance, the measure which is so important to airlines these days. Recent traffic growth at MAN has put pressure on 'Slot 2' which occurs in the early afternoon when the airport has been running on a single runway.

Wasn't the entire premise of the multi-million investment, the lengthy planning permissions process etc etc to allow MAN to cope with "traffic growth". It seems ironic that 10 years after opening, a trial is needed to see whether it has any impact upon on-time performance

TSR2
31st Aug 2013, 11:45
It seems ironic that 10 years after opening, a trial is needed to see whether it has any impact upon on-time performance

Times have changed in 10 years notably the arrival at MAN of low cost operators as an example.

North West
31st Aug 2013, 11:55
How does that have any baring on runway utilisation ?

nigel osborne
31st Aug 2013, 13:15
MAN 777 Re Egypt Air

Crikey 1 seat taken out of 20 in Business class is pretty poor, although you had plenty of room.Ten on the way back is more like it, if only we had access to the routes overall yield.

Hope it continues and its a good sign that winter is now on sale and they look as it should be in next year too.

Nigel

750XL
31st Aug 2013, 14:21
Egyptair is always full in the back but business loads tend to be fairly poor. When there are business pax, they're usually upgrades due to trim purposes. Hard to trim a 738 when everyone is at the back :eek:

TSR2
31st Aug 2013, 16:40
How does that have any baring on runway utilisation ?

More movements at times that used to be off-peak.

MAN777
31st Aug 2013, 17:54
I am amazed that little old me in business class could trim out the whole of the aircraft :)

116d
1st Sep 2013, 20:25
Any chance of VIR using B787-9's ('s is being optimistic) at MAN they're due to start arriving late 2014 and could fit nicely on MAN-LAS

I can't see them being used on any MAN ops initially because I believe the initial plan is to replace some of the A340s, all of which operate out of LHR. Time will tell whether VS plan to shuffle aircraft around once all have been delivered.

spannersatcx
2nd Sep 2013, 08:24
they've just extended the leases on the 744's (2018 I believe), which will be x2 daily from MAN this winter.

viscount702
2nd Sep 2013, 09:04
x2 daily

Is this correct?

nigel osborne
2nd Sep 2013, 09:30
116D

Virgin answered the question really last week, when they announced they are to shed the A340s but keep the 747s well into the 2020s.

So expect MAN will probably stay double 747 from next year which I think is a good thing, a great plane.

Nigel

Ioniser
2nd Sep 2013, 18:58
"CX also operated a 343 via ZRH"

If memory serves me right, CX also used to go via CDG and AMS and would do seats to these airports , for airport staff, for £25.

spannersatcx
2nd Sep 2013, 20:03
116D

Virgin answered the question really last week, when they announced they are to shed the A340s but keep the 747s well into the 2020s.

So expect MAN will probably stay double 747 from next year which I think is a good thing, a great plane.

Nigel

starts in Oct/Nov when the 330's go back to LGW for 3 class refit.

spannersatcx
2nd Sep 2013, 20:05
"CX also operated a 343 via ZRH"

If memory serves me right, CX also used to go via CDG and AMS and would do seats to these airports , for airport staff, for £25.

yes I know, also did FRA for a while, the response was to a post that CX only operated the 744, when in fact they also operated the 340 2 or 3 times a week one summer Via ZRH.

pilothouse
2nd Sep 2013, 21:15
I'm hoping that this will be read by some of the drivers that Manchester employs to move passengers' cars from near the terminals to remote carparks, some of which are close to Staff West.

You are driving someone's pride and joy and they have entrusted you with its safekeeping. These cars are often exotic and maybe you never get the chance to drive one outside work, but this doesn't mean that you have to give them a full performance and roadholding roadtest!

Whoever was driving that Jaguar at 0315 this morning, you are letting down the whole team by driving so outrageously. From the Staff West bus stop we can see the likes of you all the time, speeding along the narrow lanes. It's nothing to be proud of.

PQC
2nd Sep 2013, 21:58
Significant difference between today and when the permission for R2 was granted is the extreme peaks in traffic that are experienced at Slot 2 (1300 - 1600) due to the increased number of short haul routes by based aircraft.

This, added the the 'usual' increase in traffic towards the evening period means that dealing with flows at these times whilst on single runway operations is becoming more challenging - hence the decision to increase the hours of dual operations.

Surely this must be a cause for celebration for everyone who has the best interests of MAN at heart and the huge role it plays in the success and promotion of the North?

spannersatcx
3rd Sep 2013, 07:11
I'm hoping that this will be read by some of the drivers that Manchester employs to move passengers' cars from near the terminals to remote carparks, some of which are close to Staff West.

You are driving someone's pride and joy and they have entrusted you with its safekeeping. These cars are often exotic and maybe you never get the chance to drive one outside work, but this doesn't mean that you have to give them a full performance and roadholding roadtest!

Whoever was driving that Jaguar at 0315 this morning, you are letting down the whole team by driving so outrageously. From the Staff West bus stop we can see the likes of you all the time, speeding along the narrow lanes. It's nothing to be proud of.

why not report it, can't be that difficult for them to find the culprit?

zfw
3rd Sep 2013, 18:23
Same thing........saw an Audi Q7 doing about 50-60 after screaming off the roundabout near T3 , and then swung into the T3 Meet and Greet car park.

doublesix
3rd Sep 2013, 18:28
I work at the airport and see these muppets tear arsing around all day in whatever car they are driving. Its ok saying report it but believe me it's not one driver its the majority. Also its not just staff employed by the airport driving these cars, its also off site car parking companies moving cars from/too the airport on behalf of customers, so how do you know who to report any incident too? Don't say the Police because they wouldn't prosecute anyone when its one persons word against the other. Letting the public see/hear what's going on and stopping leaving their vehicles with these companies and hitting them in the wallet is the way to curb it. I wouldn't let them near my pushbike never mind my car.

MAN777
3rd Sep 2013, 21:16
Its been going on for years, I used to live on the Old Ringway road which was practically a racetrack for bored low paid drivers working for the hire car companies and parking companies.

If enough people complain then the Police will do something about it. The airport and adjoining roads are bristling with CCTV so it would be really easy to prosecute offenders.

There are several airport based beat officers who would love to put together local initiatives, much of what they do is reactive so unless they know whats going on it will continue.

LAX_LHR
4th Sep 2013, 08:46
Easyjet S14 now on sale. Looks like no change from this summer at all. Hopefully new flights/routes tba another time, but with more LGW to play with I think other airports will be hard pushed for any expansion hopes.

Betablockeruk
4th Sep 2013, 10:48
S14 EasyJet Manchester–Venice

jubilee
4th Sep 2013, 14:02
Not a new route, its operating this year as a seasonal route.
J VCE

rutankrd
4th Sep 2013, 16:42
Venice on EZY is Not new for 2014 and is a three weekly round year service fully bookable through the coming northern winter schedule.
Operates each tuesday/thursday and sunday through to 27th March 2014.

Thereafter the sunday of the 30th March is non op and changes for a saturday service from 5th April 2014 through to 14th June 2013- After that its not yet bookable.

Simply put it is not a new service from 2014 just a continuation if the existing service into the summer timeframe.

Betablockeruk
4th Sep 2013, 18:17
I realise that now, but the PR spin from easyJet says:

Newly introduced summer destinations for easyJet include:

London Gatwick – Bucharest, Romania from £39.99*
Manchester to Venice, Italy from £25.99*
Liverpool – Larnaca, Cyprus from £35.99*
London Stansted to Sofia, Bulgaria from £31.99*

crewmeal
4th Sep 2013, 19:12
Note the word 'from'. By the time you've added the return fare and the extras the fare will be well into 3 figures. The old old story 'buyer beware'

gonetech
4th Sep 2013, 20:23
I work at (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8028551&noquote=1#) the airport and see these muppets tear arsing around all day in whatever car they are driving. Its ok saying report it but believe me it's not one driver its the majority. Also its not just staff employed by the airport driving these cars, its also off site car parking companies moving cars from/too the airport on behalf of customers, so how do you know who to report any incident too? Don't say the Police because they wouldn't prosecute anyone when its one persons word against the other. Letting the public see/hear what's going on and stopping leaving their vehicles with these companies and hitting them in the wallet is the way to curb it. I wouldn't let them near my pushbike never mind my car.

I have witnessed such reckless driving on Moss Lane off Styal Road. Not uncommon to see numerous hi-vis vest wearing drivers hurtling towards me coming from the car storage parks, in the middle of what seems a narrow road at speed!
If there hasn't been an accident yet then it's surely a matter of time!

roverman
4th Sep 2013, 21:52
Meanwhile, at an airport near you, traffic continues to boom. Passengers up over 7% on August last year, and running at nearly 20.4 million p.a. , movements up too. Could be close to 21 million by year end. A second daily A380, temporary but sure to be permanent before long, increased dual-runway hours, Saudia coming back next year, and who knows what else. Bad news is getting harder to find at MAN these days. As long as investment keeps ahead of demand, the future looks decidedly bright.

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/alldocs/707CD8E05D7B7ACE80257BDC00485C09/$File/August+13.pdf

insuindi
4th Sep 2013, 22:05
Whilst the growth is remarkable, there is still a bit of a climb left to get to the pre-recession levels of 2005 and 2006 (both years saw 22.4m pax).

LN-KGL
4th Sep 2013, 23:12
May I remind you about the London Olympics in August last year and this resulted in only a 1.7% growth. This was the month with the second lowest growth in 2012 after May (May bank holiday moved to June and there was the Queens Jubilee the first weekend in June). To put this August's passenger number in to perspective, there was 7 462 passenger less than in August 2008 and the all time high for August came one year earlier (2007) and up to that level MAN still need to handle 139 842 more passengers than this year. My prediction for the number of terminal passengers in 2013 now stands at just above 20.7 million.

David Sharpe
5th Sep 2013, 21:32
It looks like Jet 2 will be adding passengers to their 2014 throughput, I have had a quick look at the Summer 2014 schedule (based on August 2014) and the number of weekly departures currently stands at 169 x weekly (compared to 146 x weekly this year)

There is only one new route, Fuerteventura (2 x weekly) which basically replaces the 2 x weekly Tel Aviv service which ends in November this year, so the growth will be generated by increasing frequencies on a number of existing routes ......

Extra services will operate to Alicante (1 x weekly) Barcelona (1 x weekly) Bodrum (1 x weekly) Budapest (2 x weekly) Corfu (1 x weekly) Dalaman (1 x weekly) Faro (1 x weekly) Heraklion (1 x weekly) Ibiza (2 x weekly) Las Palmas (1 x weekly) Kos (1 x weekly) Lanzarote (1 x weekly) Palma (3 x weekly) Paphos (1 x weekly) Pisa (1 x weekly) Reus (1 x weekly) Rhodes (1 x weekly) Tenerife (2 x weekly) and Zante (1 x weekly) = 24 x weekly, with Paris CDG reducing by 1 x weekly to give the overall increase of 23 x weekly services

The growth appears to last for most of the Summer timetable, checking the week at the end of May when half term commences see's a weekly schedule of 146 x weekly (compared to 127 x weekly in May of this year) and should come on the back of increased Winter throughput, where there seems to be an increase in flights to the Canairies, as well as Faro operating through the Winter (I think for the first time) and Palma commencing 2014 operations from February (earlier than usual)

750XL
6th Sep 2013, 06:08
There's been a number of accidents with the valet parking boy racers, one car even ended up on it's roof outside the BP Petrol Station!

Below picture is taken from a friends FB account, it seems the valet drivers parking is just as bad as their driving!!!

http://i42.tinypic.com/2s9shud.jpg

LAX_LHR
6th Sep 2013, 16:38
Wonder if Qatar Airways are about to announce something?

Seem to have teamed up with Ducati to announce 'an unexpected arrival'.

Apparently all will be revealed on 12th. May be nothing but seems they have gone to a lot of effort over something?.......

UnderASouthernSky
7th Sep 2013, 00:25
http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/content/ducaticompetition

StoneyBridge Radar
7th Sep 2013, 02:59
My guess would be a competition to win tickets to the Doha MotoGP next April with Flights on Qatar.

It's run at night due to the heat.

Scottie Dog
12th Sep 2013, 18:02
Well that was a bit of a let down - I was hoping there might also have been news of Qatar increasing their service ..... or did I miss something?

LAX_LHR
13th Sep 2013, 05:25
Tell me about it, looking to be a very quiet winter and summer ahead so far.

Not a single new route announced for summer 2014 so far (to my knowledge), and winter only has the odd route from the incumbent low cost, flynonstop to Kristiansand and 2 (1 weekly) long haul routes from Thomas Cook.

Even the Middle Eastern trio seem to have gone cold, with only Emirates showing the remotest sign of expansion, and even that is a 'dipping their toe' in situation.

Very very quiet. Maybe we were just spoilt with this summers expansion?

lexoncd
13th Sep 2013, 10:36
Lets look at MAG forecasts. At the time of the second runway application they projected that by 2005 the airport would be handling 30 million passengers... They actually achieved 22.4 million which was the record year. As recently as 2007 when numbers were 22.1million in the revised revised plan they said by 2015 they would be handling 39 million...... Forecast for 2013 is 20 million so next year they have to nearly double their numbers to be on target!!!!

In any organisation errors of that magnitude even after adjustments for certain events would result in senior people departing.

chaps2011
13th Sep 2013, 10:53
I think what has happened in last few years has stuffed everybody and figures
went out of the window so i don`t agree there because we are in uncharted territory

Chaps

mybrico
13th Sep 2013, 11:08
Its clear the forecast was a work in progress to get planning permission. Things have moved on and even MAG has gone elsewhere to maintain growth. It’s a mature market with some moving of deck chairs but major growth will be elusive. R2 not really needed, new terminal complex like LHR would have been a better investment

chaps2011
13th Sep 2013, 13:04
I think you will find R2 very much needed just not all day, even as we speak
a trial is on during afternoon as 1 runway use is causing big delays mid afternoon

Chaps

LAX_LHR
13th Sep 2013, 15:47
Wonder if there is anything in this?

Just had a nights stay at the MacDonald hotel Manchester, and 5 'suits' from Air Asia got out of the lift as I got in. Could only read 2 of their passes, one was ramp operations manager and other was network and strategy manager. Couldn't see the other 3 badges.

Thought they had given up on Europe?

Turns out it was nothing exciting, its just a new maintenance contract at MAEL with the first Air Asia X A330-200 arriving on 16th, departing again on the 18th ad D7668.

All names taken
13th Sep 2013, 16:11
LAX_LHR

But wasn't it you that insisted that Saudia were recommencing in January?
Is this still happening?

LAX_LHR
13th Sep 2013, 16:13
LAX_LHR

But wasn't it you that insisted that Saudia were recommencing
in January?
Is this still happening?

Im not sure now. All the info has been deleted off the GDS preview so I think they have had 2nd thoughts.

Mouser
13th Sep 2013, 20:37
T1 pick up straight in, daughters in car exit in 4 minutes £ 2.80 bloody robbery.

Shed-on-a-Pole
13th Sep 2013, 23:11
Mickyman. Oh how we have missed you. Unchanged standard MO, I see. Attack posters who actually contribute commentary worthy of our attention, yet limit your own offerings to backbiting and sneering. What motivates you? Is it a jealousy thing?

BTW, LAX_LHR discusses airline industry rumours. He works in a role which gives him access to these. By their nature, some rumours come to fulfilment whilst others fall by the wayside. That is the deal if you read a 'rumours' forum (rumours being the 'R' in PPRuNe). If rumours irk you, then you have chosen to frequent the wrong forum. LAX_LHR, in contrast, is posting in exactly the right place and most readers here understand that rumours come without guarantees. But LAX_LHR gets more right than wrong, and even those new service proposals which do not come to fruition show us the way airlines are thinking. Useful in itself.

In this case, Saudia did apply for slots but they appear to have handed them back for now. That is pretty standard practice in this industry. But it is still of interest to know that they did apply because it shows that Manchester remains in their thinking.

Finally, rest assured that LAX_LHR is a valued contributor on here as he was on the other forum to which you refer. He knows that I have at times held different views than him on certain matters of fact, but we have always debated the issues in a respectful and constructive manner. Perhaps you could consider such an approach if you disagree with him? Or will a "result" for you mean hounding him off the forum? You know he won't stick around if he is subjected to too much flak from the self-important uninformed.

750XL
14th Sep 2013, 00:23
Saudi slots are still in... 3 x weekly showing in Chroma

chaps2011
15th Sep 2013, 13:38
Will be interesting to see what the actual movement total hour by hour has
been as it has been relentless this afternoon with quite long holds at times at Dayne. When I get a total I will post.

Chaps

mickyman
15th Sep 2013, 19:31
Shed

Its all about timing.....when to write something 'as gospel' and
not ending up with 'egg on face'.

I don't think i'm jealous of incorrect information or at least
the providing of news that turns out to be not.

Your welcome,

MM

LAX_LHR
15th Sep 2013, 20:06
Mickyman

You have already had the offending post about me deleted so seems not everyone wallows in your self smugness.

Incidentally, what is it I get so wrong exactly? Aeroflot news which was actually a slot request and schedule posted on a Russian site at the time direct from the Moscow airport authority? Or the fact Saudi was actually showing in GDS for a brief period? Did I get the Etihad A340-600 that appeared today wrong when I posted about it months ago before it was made public (right down to the exact airframe co-incidentally)? Can you prove exactly that the Aeroflot/Saudia news was 'rubbish' as you seem to be suggesting. No, thought not.

Besides the point, what do you bring to the forum exactly other than belittling self righteous posts? Looking through your post history seems you have quite the history of merely posting to question other members. Therefore, seems I cannot even attempt to take it personally as seen as your lack of social skill seems to spread to many threads. You must feel so fulfilled in life, that much of your time is spent attacking people you do not even know from your anonymous stance. How I envy that sad existence :ugh:

At the end of the day, whether rumours come about or not, at least some of my posts contain useful information, unlike some.

And onto that, my next post will actually contain some flights news, what will yours bring? More belittling no doubt. Good day :ok:

LAX_LHR
15th Sep 2013, 20:11
Some football flights in October:

VY1470 BIO 0800 MAN 0900 23/10/13
VY1471 MAN 0345 BIO 0645 24/10/13

A320

VY2484 EAS 0830 MAN 0940 23/10/13
VY2485 MAN 1025 EAS 1325 24/10/13

A320 (EAS is San Sebastian)

chaps2011
15th Sep 2013, 20:50
I think we were single runway ops this afternoon so quite busy from 1300-till 1400 17arr 15 dep, 1400-till 1500 20arr 16dep, 1500-till 1600 11arr 21dep,
1600-till 1700 10arr 18dep and 1700-till 1800 19arr 15dep 162 mov in 5 hours
So all in nothing mega but an average of 32 an hour allowing for some taxiways being closed at 05end

Chaps

avturboy
15th Sep 2013, 22:00
Sorry if this sounds a bit vague .. but whose was the A340 late this afternoon wearing the highly colourful paint job including black and white chequers on the rear fuselage and tail ...?

I live 2 (flight) miles from the 25R threshold so I'm used to seeing all sorts go by but I didn't recognize this and wasn't able to get to my scanner or FR24 in time to track it ....

Cymmon
15th Sep 2013, 22:15
Possibly the etihad A340 mentioned previously?
That's just my guess.

LN-KGL
15th Sep 2013, 22:24
A6-EHJ flew ETD21/22 today

GavinC
16th Sep 2013, 12:24
T1 pick up straight in, daughters in car exit in 4 minutes £ 2.80 bloody robbery.

wait for them to have their bags, drive to departures and get them from there at no cost. Increasing numbers of people are doing this and eventually it may mean that these extortionate costs to pick people up at arrivals are scrapped.

Curious Pax
16th Sep 2013, 12:47
I suspect it's more likely that they will introduce the drop off charge that many other airports have. Expect to see the queue up the T1 Departures ramp stretching back onto the M56 on the day they do that!

avturboy
16th Sep 2013, 13:43
A6-EHJ flew ETD21/22 today

mickyman
16th Sep 2013, 14:08
LAX-LHR

Unfortunately due to the 'offending' post being removed I cannot
comment on what you perceived as being offensive about my previous post.
I am not in favour of censorship.

I hope that your future posts will be more positive in outcome.

MM

nigel osborne
16th Sep 2013, 18:24
Shed on a pole,

Can understand why slots applied for may be of interest, however happens so often, I agree with others might be better to wait until a service is announced.

Lost count how many slots applied for by carriers in the UK have not gone any further. Im from Brum and could right a long list of ours going the same way.

Nigel

David Sharpe
16th Sep 2013, 20:42
Were there any issues this morning at Manchester (specific to T2 ?) noticed that the majority of the first wave of Monarch and Thomson departures were late, and these delays knocked on for the remainder of the day (also noted a Thomson Airways flight from Zante to Manchester diverted into East Midlands, not sure if this was related ?)

750XL
17th Sep 2013, 00:33
Failure of LDCS (checkin system) which TOM and MON use, which affected the first wave departures for both airlines. The 0600-0700 flights weren't departing until 1000-1100 which then meant lack of available stands for the longhaul arrivals.

http://s7.postimg.org/5qtq84iuj/76088_10201984266551969_547863217_n.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
screenshot windows 7 (http://postimage.org/app.php)

Shed-on-a-Pole
17th Sep 2013, 00:45
Nigel - I fully respect your point of view on the subject of publicising slot applications, and certainly most major airports can list many occasions on which slot applicants have not followed through to service launch. However, that is a normal feature of the airline business. A company may apply for slots at (for example) three potential destination airports in the full knowledge that only one will eventually be selected for the deployment of scarce resources. The advance slot allocation smooths the start-up process at destination once the final decision is made; slots elsewhere not required can easily be returned to the pool.

However, I respectfully disagree with your assertion that it is better not to know which carriers are showing interest in serving an airport. Why is ignorance preferable to knowledge? The airline which hands back unused slots this season could be the new operator of next season. It happens. Some enthusiasts may be disappointed when an airline they dreamed about fails to show up, and perhaps they would have preferred never to have entertained the possibility of the exotic new tail. However, for those who work in the industry a comprehensive knowledge of trends in the marketplace is a very valuable thing. It pays to be as fully informed as possible, and whilst this forum welcomes enthusiasts it ultimately strives to meet the needs of aviation professionals. News of slot applications has a place here.

I don't blame anybody who chooses to skip over reports of slot applications or those who attach no credence to them. However, I do not extend that understanding to a scenario which would see those who are interested in such information denied access to it. Live and let live, if you like. Those who wish to disregard slot info can do so; those interested in it can enjoy access to it. The "provisional" nature of slot applications is widely understood and accepted by those within the industry. And remember too, whilst many slot applications do fall by the wayside there is also the other side of the coin: genuine new services make their first appearance as slot applications too.

If we are to wait for press releases announcing new services we might as well shut down this forum and just read the mainstream media or an airport PR twitter feed. Although on second thoughts, some of MAN's services don't get a mention in the press even when they are launched ...

P.S. I see that PPRuNe's software has subtly changed the name of a well-known internet phenomenon beloved of celebrity obsessives and sycophants to read "PPRuNe" instead. Hmmmm ... well if you really want to be thought of as a substitute for them it is your choice, I suppose! :-)

There must be good money in it, anyway ... they who must not be mentioned have a big money stockmarket flotation coming up.

nigel osborne
17th Sep 2013, 08:39
Shed,

You make some good points here , and sure MAN will see some new services next year too.

There is a lot of posturing in the aviation business. For example RAM applied for slots at BHX this year but it was only to put pressure to get a better deal out of LHR and when they did they cancelled BHX ones.

Crikey you have me at it now lol :)

Nigel

Malchester
17th Sep 2013, 16:39
Travelled through T1 at Manchester on 4 September and, having heard about the long queues etc was very pleasantly surprised at the speed of getting through. Had already checked in online so just used bag drop, then there was no queue at all going through security at 10:30am - perhaps it is the quietest time of the day. Haven't used T1 for some years, usually go from T2 and was very impressed with the cleanliness and quality of the terminal and shops etc. The only problem was the boarding next to the Emirates A380 - 600 plus people in a small area and the tannoy system wasn't working. It was chaotic really. Thought I might end up on Emirates by mistake but no such luck, had to put up with Thomas Cook (but that's another story)

virginblue
18th Sep 2013, 14:27
Took the JP flight to LJU last saturday. It is a seasonal route with two weekly flights. I was wondering what the concept behind this route is? Is Slovenia heavily marketed as a holiday destination in England? With just two weekly flights operating in the summer period, there will hardly be any business pax (in fact there were not C class passengers on board on my flight) and Manchester is probably not a top tourist destination for Slovenians.

The CR9 was about half full and most passengers seemed to be older folks from England. Indeed deplaning the incoming flight took a little bit longer than expected as a handful of few passengers could hardly walk and had to be lifted off the aircraft.

All in all, it seemed to be a rather odd route to me.

Shed-on-a-Pole
18th Sep 2013, 15:07
virginblue - Just out of curiosity, was your flight part of a package or did you book the Adria fare in its own right? I have in the past considered booking this route as Slovenia is a very attractive destination. However, the Adria website has (for me) always thrown up outrageously high fares (multiple hundreds of Euros) which only a madman would consider paying. Their website is dire too ... just try finding a decent timetable of their services. Good luck to anyone who tries to book with them without already knowing their schedule.

It seems to me that most of their scheduled capacity from MAN is block purchased by 'Lakes & Mountains' tour operators (who no doubt have access to sensible pricing). MAN-LJU is a niche route offering only around 160 return seats weekly on a seasonal basis. Adria don't appear interested in marketing the MAN service directly to independent travellers. If they eventually decide to offer fares pitched anything below eyewateringly stratospheric, let me know and I might be interested!

rutankrd
18th Sep 2013, 15:22
Route operated since the sixties (Yes that's right !)

Lots of old dears on packages to Lake Bled - they like 10 day trips so two weekly achieves that.

We have even had services in the winter for skiers in the past.

It is effectively a charter flight really.

All names taken
18th Sep 2013, 15:23
Adria

An odd airline living in the past I'm afraid with the present day catching up on them very fast. They are in dire financial trouble and are trying hard to stay afloat.

It's a shame really. Slovenia is one of the most beautiful and naturally diverse countries in Europe but it has a population smaller than Greater Manchester.
The capital Ljubljana is also a beautiful town (small too) and beloved by tourists who throng to it in the summer from mostly Germany, Austria and central Europe.
Price conscious Slovenes drive over the border and use RYR services out of Ronchi Airport near Trieste.

Despite the Adria service and despite living close enough to MAN, driving to STN and getting the EZY flight has always worked out at less than half the cost of those ridiculous prices on offer from Adria.
If and when Adria fly into the history books, I hope EZY will consider a MAN-LJU route. Maybe they should talk to Lakes and Mountains too.

GayFriendly
18th Sep 2013, 15:33
I visited Slovenia this year by flying BHX-TRS with FR and hiring a car from there. It is a beautiful country and LJU a great place for a night out with lots of trendy bars. Loved it for the scenery, weather and the fact it isn't over-run by plagues of Brits abroad.

Adria used to fly BHX-LJU as well as MAN-LJU until about three years ago, once a week, like the MAN service it was block booked by tour operators, Inghams if I remember rightly.

I see from their route map Adria have virtually given up on the UK they don't even fly to London! I reckon this will be a route for EZY from MAN in the future.

SWBKCB
18th Sep 2013, 18:40
Before the split, wasn't Yugoslavia the second only to Spain for holidaying Brits?

Used to baffle me how the three airlines and their crews (JAT, Inex Adria and Aviogenex) from one country could be so completely different - we know now...

j636
18th Sep 2013, 18:58
Took the JP flight to LJU last saturday. It is a seasonal route with two weekly flights. I was wondering what the concept behind this route is? Is Slovenia heavily marketed as a holiday destination in England? With just two weekly flights operating in the summer period, there will hardly be any business pax (in fact there were not C class passengers on board on my flight) and Manchester is probably not a top tourist destination for Slovenians.

The CR9 was about half full and most passengers seemed to be older folks from England. Indeed deplaning the incoming flight took a little bit longer than expected as a handful of few passengers could hardly walk and had to be lifted off the aircraft.

All in all, it seemed to be a rather odd route to me.

While it may be and "odd" route, why were you on the flights, do you include yourself as "older folks" from England, if not then other people could be using the route for the same reason as you do.

LAX_LHR
19th Sep 2013, 06:28
Lufthansa have just diverted an A380 to MAN on a medical emergency.

That now makes at least one of each of the entire Lufthansa long haul fleet to visit MAN, and only the 2nd airline to send an A380 to MAN.

spannersatcx
19th Sep 2013, 07:26
When did their 747-8I visit MAN?

LAX_LHR
19th Sep 2013, 07:38
Cheers spanners, forgot about the B747-800, but then it seems a rather forgettable aircraft in general.

Betablockeruk
19th Sep 2013, 11:48
Lufthansa have just diverted an A380 to MAN on a medical emergency.

On the deck for about an hour. So, Manchester can handle diversions and turn them round quickly if needed.

Come back KLM heavies! Give Manchester a 2nd chance. :ok:

The96er
19th Sep 2013, 13:47
So, Manchester can handle diversions and turn them round quickly if needed.

Not necessarily, it all depends on the resources of the handling agent at the time. Although any medical divert would be given more of a priority than say if it was just a fuel and go.

chaps2011
19th Sep 2013, 14:06
what was meant was the pax was offloaded and the aircraft was then on it`s way
again in about an hour right in the middle of a very busy period

chaps

spannersatcx
19th Sep 2013, 15:13
Cheers spanners, forgot about the B747-800, but then it seems a rather forgettable aircraft in general.

Which is a shame really, I know our crews love to fly it and it has some good updates for us ground folf. Shame really.

Maybe CX will eventually send one there! (don't hold your breath though). :{

virginblue
19th Sep 2013, 21:25
While it may be and "odd" route, why were you on the flights, do you include yourself as "older folks" from England, if not then other people could be using the route for the same reason as you do.

I doubt it. I took the flight because a couple of months ago JP had some sort of semi error fare when they had one of their rare promotions and I could book MAN-LJU-BRU with a stopover in LJU for 45 GBP all in.

Slovenia is indeed well worth a visit. Another option to get to Slovenia I have used in the past is going to Klagenfurt and taking the train from there - although KLU is in a rather sad state schedule wise

JackRalston
21st Sep 2013, 15:07
Seems there is an issue with the A380. Someone has said the "bypass system" on the nose gear didn't do as it was suppose to and now the tow bar has snapped and is wedged underneath the nose gear. Still next to stand 12?

LAX_LHR
21st Sep 2013, 15:12
Seems there is an issue with the A380. Someone has said the "bypass system" on the nose gear didn't do as it was suppose to and now the tow bar has snapped and is wedged underneath the nose gear. Still next to stand 12?

likely to be canx for tonight, thus MAN will se 3 A380's tomorrow if it happens.

JackRalston
21st Sep 2013, 18:26
likely to be canx for tonight, thus MAN will se 3 A380's tomorrow if it happens.

Indeed, pax are being offloaded as I type this.

LAX_LHR
21st Sep 2013, 18:30
Indeed, pax are being offloaded as I type this.

They knew the flight would be canx at 5pm but kept the passengers on-board until rebooking and hotels were sorted. Apparently the damage cause means A6-EDV could be at MAN until Monday according to the London office.

MANLEJ
21st Sep 2013, 19:21
I take it the first class pax are being rebooked on tonight's a380?

LAX_LHR
21st Sep 2013, 22:30
Looks like EK had a change of heart and got the EK18 away tonight, slight problem being that looking at FR24, the flight has just aborted its take off run (if FR24 is correct)....

rutankrd
21st Sep 2013, 22:37
Now resting on remote in need of a tyre change !

Probably going nowhere till the morning now

Betablockeruk
21st Sep 2013, 22:37
He's having a 'mare. Tyre problems so return to stand.

LAX_LHR
21st Sep 2013, 22:40
Heard that the Captain still wants to go after a tyre change but cant see that happening, as Im assuming all pax have to be deplaned for this work?

Bad day for that crew and the poor guys on the ground that likely should be cosied up at home now.

MANLEJ
21st Sep 2013, 22:49
I don't think the passengers will need to be deplaned to change a tyre....I was in ek17 at dxb back in May, and they changed the front tyre whilst the plane was boarded. Did think it was a bit strange that it spent quite a while just before the start of the runway, before looking like it was going to take off, but then ended up on a remote stand.

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2013, 00:08
Not a great day for Emirates at Manchester.

As well as the ongoing EK18 issues which is still at MAN as of 01:06, the EK20 is listed on emirates.com as diverting to Kuwait.

Going to be some happy punters all round by the looks of things!

european130
22nd Sep 2013, 04:04
Just departed Kuwait, due to arrive DXB 2hrs 15mins behind schedule.

TURIN
22nd Sep 2013, 20:03
Heard that the Captain still wants to go after a tyre change but cant see that happening, as Im assuming all pax have to be deplaned for this work?

FFS. It's a wheel change not a bleedin' engine. Why the hell would you have to DISEMBARK passengers to change a wheel?

I'm very sorry but I really hate the non word "deplane".

Rant over, I apologise for any offence caused. :E

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2013, 21:43
FFS. It's a wheel change not a bleedin' engine. Why the hell would you have
to DISEMBARK passengers to change a wheel

Jesus Turin it was an innocent question, whats got your goat?

Im not an engineer so was genuinely unsure of the process, or is questioning banned nowdays?

crewmeal
22nd Sep 2013, 21:59
FFS. It's a wheel change not a bleedin' engine. Why the hell would you have to DISEMBARK passengers to change a wheel?

Weight perhaps? With a full 380 surely there would be stres on the jack.

TURIN
22nd Sep 2013, 22:12
Jesus Turin it was an innocent question, whats got your goat?

Im not an engineer so was genuinely unsure of the process, or is questioning banned nowdays?

No just the non word, deplane! :mad:

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2013, 22:18
No just the non word, deplane!

Then my apologies. Despite the use of a 'non-word' (there are a lot worse 'non-words' been added to the English dictionary over the past few years), I strangely thought this was an aviation forum, not a grammatical correction facility.

TURIN
22nd Sep 2013, 22:23
Nothing to do with grammar, just bad, made up words used in the place of a perfectly good one. Disembark seems to have one too many syllables apparently.

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2013, 22:26
Turin, do you not think there are bigger things to worry about than the word deplane?

TURIN
22nd Sep 2013, 22:32
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarggghhh!!

YOU DID IT AGAIN!

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2013, 22:41
Erm, I think you need an early night. Ive never known someone get so wound up by a series of letters. :confused:

Deplane....... Just don't understand what is making you so angry? Bizzare!

hammerb32
22nd Sep 2013, 22:46
I'm really confused, last time I went to an airport I got on deplane.

TURIN
22nd Sep 2013, 22:50

Bravo sir. :D:D

See, me not angry at all.

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2013, 22:50

Haha, love it!

LAX_LHR
22nd Sep 2013, 22:53
Oh just for you by the way turin:

Deplane | Define Deplane at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deplane)

verb (used without object), de·planed, de·plan·ing.
to disembark from an airplane.

LAX_LHR
23rd Sep 2013, 18:36
The MD of PIA has said that flights to Manchester will be increased. There were no further details given, but the comment came on the back of an interview where he said all crew on its foreign flights will be checked for alcohol after the LBA incident.

PhilW1981
23rd Sep 2013, 20:33
Ref "de-plane" and also "emplane".

Would apparently be entering vernacular regardless. Tim Clark (chair of EK) used both regularly in a recent interview.

backtrack_32
24th Sep 2013, 01:08
Can anybody share with us why the American airlines 757 is still parked remote at MAN?

Malchester
24th Sep 2013, 07:19
Now, now ladies please stop this bickering and deplane the argument or disembark from the forum:O

MKY661
24th Sep 2013, 08:22
Can anybody share with us why the American airlines 757 is still parked remote at MAN?

Technical Fault apparently :)

LAX_LHR
24th Sep 2013, 19:16
Aegean Airlines to Athens is back next year, with 2 pieces of good news.

Firstly it starts much earlier, April as opposed to June.

Also, it rises from 2 to 3 weekly from June, with flights on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.

LAX_LHR
26th Sep 2013, 07:49
Gainjet are basing a B737-400 at MAN from 28th Sept.. Aircraft will be SX-ATP.

GrahamK
26th Sep 2013, 08:03
PIA adding 3rd weekly flight to ISB, on fridays using a 772 starting 22nd November.

Mouser
26th Sep 2013, 09:01
Myself, Mother in law and Daughter have all used Manchester Airport in the last couple of weeks, T1 50MINS, T1 1HR 20MINS, AND T2 50MINS. Terminal and time taken to reclaim baggage, not good enough. T1 last Saturday a lot of angry people.

TSR2
26th Sep 2013, 09:41
Complain to the airline(s) if you think that's excessive. Nothing to do with the airport.

Mouser
26th Sep 2013, 10:22
If I THINK its excessive! No 50 minutes is completely acceptable, I don't know what I was thinking when complaining to the carrier, but be ashored I made it quite clear it was nothing to do with the airport.

LN-KGL
26th Sep 2013, 16:43
It would be interesting to know the names of the airlines so that other could avoid them.

Johnny F@rt Pants
26th Sep 2013, 18:34
It's the handling agents that are responsible for the manpower to sort the baggage out. Whilst I appreciate that the airline contracts the Handling Agent it is of no use to name any one airline for others to avoid, the likelihood is that their amended choice might well use that Handling Agent too.

Can I ask whether all flights were on time, early or late, as this impacts on the service the airline will receive, arrive "off schedule" and you're bottom of the pile I'm afraid, regardless of the airline.

All down to the race to the bottom I'm afraid, if you don't want to pay "proper" fares then costs have to be cut, this means that Handling Agents, amongst others, are squeezed, they then fell the pinch and reduce their overheads (manpower) therefore impacting on their ability to provide the service levels of the past.

Malchester
27th Sep 2013, 07:28
Arrived 1 1/2 hours late to Manchester from FUE in the early hours a couple of weeks ago. Baggage was transferred from plane to carousel very quickly despite the time and the delay and we were out of the airport iin a very short time. I guess the speed depends on time of day and busyness of the airport.

If the 50 minute wait is from plane arriving at stand I think that's not so bad. if it is from arriving at the baggage carousel that's probably too long - but they cannot get all bags off the plane at once!!!

Malchester
27th Sep 2013, 07:28
Should have said it was T1 we arrived at

Lets go commercial
27th Sep 2013, 12:25
Hi all

Have emirates started operating 2 A388 a day to manchester? Just noticed on flight radar that EK19 is op by A380. Normally it's just the EK17/18 lunchtime rotation is it not?

Capetonian
27th Sep 2013, 12:31
EK 022 D MAN 1 DXB 1000 2000 0 01OCT13 26OCT13 77W
EK 018 D MAN 1 DXB 1410 0015+1 0 02OCT13 14OCT13 388
EK 020 D MAN 1 DXB 2100 0705+1 0 02OCT13 26OCT13 77W

It would appear so, as from 27 SEP.

Lets go commercial
27th Sep 2013, 12:37
That's what I thought must be a one off. They have got a6-EDO on today.

GrahamK
27th Sep 2013, 13:12
Operating twice a day between 21st and 30th September

Capetonian
27th Sep 2013, 13:22
Just to clarify

EK 018 D MAN 1 DXB 3 1410 0015+1 0 26SEP13 388 7:05
EK 020 1567 MAN 1 DXB 3 2100 0705+1 0 27SEP13 30SEP13 388 7:05

388 is daily from 26 SEP > indef on the lunchtime service,
and from 27 SEP - 30 SEP on the 2100 service,

Ringwayman
27th Sep 2013, 14:04
and was originally reported in this thread on 13th August (http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/493949-manchester-9-a-51.html#post7989991)

Mouser
28th Sep 2013, 09:38
Apparently Thursday afternoon some nut job stripped bollock naked and kick-off after arriving from Malta, he stripped off after the aircraft arrived at the gate demanding to searched, he then ended up under the aircraft then proceeded to piss up the aircraft door, he was then tasered by the police.

johnnychips
28th Sep 2013, 21:27
Apparently Thursday afternoon some nut job stripped bollock naked and kick-off after arriving from Malta, he stripped off after the aircraft arrived at the gate demanding to searched, he then ended up under the aircraft then proceeded to piss up the aircraft door, he was then tasered by the police.

Ah, so that's what I did on my birthday!

LMLMLM
29th Sep 2013, 09:19
"Apparently Thursday afternoon some nut job stripped bollock naked and kick-off after arriving from Malta, he stripped off after the aircraft arrived at the gate demanding to searched, he then ended up under the aircraft then proceeded to piss up the aircraft door, he was then tasered by the police. "

My daughter was cabin crew on this flight. She did say it was rather interesting....

TURIN
29th Sep 2013, 14:08
Yes. I can't believe photos haven't appeared in the press. There were enough witnesses.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

LAX_LHR
30th Sep 2013, 05:19
SV198/199 has re-appeared in GDS preview. This time from 30th March 2014.

There was a Saudia Cargo B744 in last night and apparently another in 2 weeks time.

Espada III
30th Sep 2013, 15:08
Last night Jet2 from Tel Aviv landed at 22:15; I landed at 22:00 (I think) also from Tel Aviv but on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. We were through passport control in a few minutes at most; our luggage was waiting for us and we were home within an hour of touchdown.

Speaking to a friend this morning on the Jet2, they waited 90 minutes for the luggage with a consequent late night by the time they got home (near us).

Given that Jet2 charge a significant sum for hold luggage, it behooves them to provide a reasonable quality service???

Johnny F@rt Pants
30th Sep 2013, 15:37
See posts 1219-1223 ref baggage handling. It's already been done.

Up up and away
2nd Oct 2013, 21:21
Noticed the following NOTAM re A380s not being permitted to start-up engines until tug-release point:

A3361/13: Manchester: Aircraft stands limitation
Q) EGTT/QMPLT/IV/M/A/000/999/5321N00217W005
A380 TYPE ACFT PUSHING BACK FM STAND 12 MUST NOT START ENGINES UNTIL
THEY REACH THE TUG RELEASE POINT
FROM: 26 Sep 2013 17:26 GMT (18:26 BST) TO: 01 Nov 2013 00:59 GMT

Just curious as to the reason(s) why.

All names taken
3rd Oct 2013, 10:21
Second hand information from a friend who was pax on board the flight that may have inspired this NOTAM.

Apparently the normal A380 tug was unserviceable and a lighter one was used instead. When connected to the aircraft on stand the aircraft started its engines as normal but the tug was not able to withstand the thrust.
The tug lifted up on the towbar causing slight damage to the aircraft nosewheel.

The delay was significant and my friend was not impressed, missing her connection and a whole day of meetings.

I guess when the normal tug is back in service the NOTAM may be withdrawn (?)

750XL
3rd Oct 2013, 11:34
RE the LH/LS Tel Aviv flights...

Servisair do Lufthansa, generally offer a pretty good service to their usually higher paying customers.

Menzies do Jet2, and are generally the underlying cause of all Manchester Airport horror stories.

The96er
3rd Oct 2013, 13:56
Last night Jet2 from Tel Aviv landed at 22:15; I landed at 22:00 (I think) also from Tel Aviv but on Lufthansa via Frankfurt. We were through passport control in a few minutes at most; our luggage was waiting for us and we were home within an hour of touchdown.

Speaking to a friend this morning on the Jet2, they waited 90 minutes for the luggage with a consequent late night by the time they got home (near us).

Given that Jet2 charge a significant sum for hold luggage, it behooves them to provide a reasonable quality service???

Although 90 mins is too long, it must be added that the LH FRA flight is containerized meaning the aircraft can be stripped of bags in under 5 mins whereas the Jet2 TLV flight would of involved a laborious 'one bag at a time' offload.

RE the LH/LS Tel Aviv flights...

Servisair do Lufthansa, generally offer a pretty good service to their usually higher paying customers.

Menzies do Jet2, and are generally the underlying cause of all Manchester Airport horror stories.

Menzies also handle BA and the average bag times for them are 4 mins from chocks on to first bag on carrousel.

Curious Pax
3rd Oct 2013, 14:02
It has been announced that former Chief Exec at Manchester Airport, Sir Gil Thomson, has died. He was in charge from 1981-1993, coinciding with arguably the most significant ramping up of air services from Manchester. It's notable that even 20 years after he left, on this and other boards there is often the cry that 'Gil would have dealt with this much better'.

I only met him once, and he got me into trouble for my pains! As a callow youth nearly 30 years ago I did a summer as a dispatcher at Manchester, and was merrily sorting out a Britannia 737 turnround on B pier when he wandered on board. He apologised for disturbing me, as he just wanted to wish a couple of friends 'bon voyage' as they went on holiday. A complete non-event from my point of view until the captain summoned me to the cockpit and wanted to know who he was, why he wasn't displaying a pass, and why had I let him on the aircraft! Turned out that the captain was Birmingham based and didn't know him from Adam. At the time seemed a huge over-reaction, though nowadays you would have said he had a point.

STATSMAN
3rd Oct 2013, 15:41
Gone is that wonderful Irish voice and a GREAT airport director. RIP Gil

philbky
3rd Oct 2013, 20:11
Gil was a gentleman, a total professional and by a mile the best thing that ever happened to Manchester Airport. I had the great privilege of sitting on a committee with him, having a number of one on one meetings with him aimed at promoting Manchester as a destination for business tourism and, for many years until I left the area, being able to call on him to get airside access for photography. Unlike many in the airport management today he had aviation running through his veins. May he rest in peace.

chaps2011
3rd Oct 2013, 22:09
some good news today on the business side
MAG enjoys boost in letting its property - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/property/mag-enjoys-boost-letting-property-6128438)

chaps

roverman
4th Oct 2013, 08:52
Indeed, Sir Gil is fondly remembered by many as the man who put MAN on the map. Always immaculately presented and courteous, and even in retirement has turned up at the funerals of staff of all levels. I will wear my pocket handkerchief at half-mast today in his honour.

Mr A Tis
4th Oct 2013, 10:22
2013 News - Flights - MONARCH AIRLINES ANNOUNCES EXPANSION OF ROUTE NETWORK | Flights News - Monarch (http://www.monarch.co.uk/news/flights/2013-news/monarch-airlines-announce-expansion-of-route-network)

New for 2014 ex MAN

Enfidha
Agadir
Hurghada
Naples ( I'm sure they ran this this year already)

NOTE: minutes after tweeting the above, Monarch have removed the news page !

All names taken
4th Oct 2013, 12:13
Sir Gil Thomson

As others have already said, a great man has passed away.
And not just a towering figure in the development of Manchester Airport. The work he did, the tireless lobbying and PR work that fought against the cozy establishment of bi-laterals and in-built privileges for incumbent carriers in the UK, paved the way for freedoms we now take for granted in air travel.

Persuading Margaret Thatcher to get involved in gaining approval for American Airlines and Singapore Airlines to fly to Manchester in a then grossly over-regulated industry, was in itself a triumph.
Both those airlines still serve Manchester to this day.

Regional airports that today enjoy Emirates routes to Dubai do so on the back of this groundbreaking work to sweep away un-necessary regulations and protectionism 25 years ago.

Present day management can only aspire to be nearly as good as this man.

MKY661
4th Oct 2013, 12:55
Naples ( I'm sure they ran this this year already)

Nope. Thomson do Naples though :)