PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15

pilotxaq
22nd Nov 2018, 21:46
Good day all, I'm a 75/76 captain in the Caribbean with just around 600 PIC on type (2100 total on type), in addition to 737NG time. Thanks to jrmyl, Fratemate, The Dominican, HD, FK, galdian, Armani, and all the others who have posted over the years, given some good info and been patient with repetitive questions and people who seem to not get it. It's been good reading.

I was approached by Parc for the FO position, but then after getting my revised resume, the rep thought I should look into other opportunities because I was "way over" the FO minimums, but not near enough to the 4500 PIC requirement for DEC. What's the opposite of a sweet spot? After reviewing what has been said, I recognize that Japan T's&C's, environment, etc seem somewhat better than the Chinese jobs I've been looking at, but I'm more interested in moving with the wife, so unless something changes this may not be the contract for me as I understand it. If anyone thinks of any other jobs that I could look into, that maybe I'm not seeing, let me know.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the info. Great bunch of guys. Safe skies!

gtseraf
23rd Nov 2018, 00:11
Stallone. A rather subjective answer to your question.

Looking ONLY at hours flown may not reflect the true wear and tear experienced. There was a time when the pax and freighter ops were split, AJX and AJV. I opted to stay on the pax operation. During this time we flew more hours than the AJV pilots, yet, it appeared we were less fatigued than the freighter plots. After the merger, I found my fatigue levels went up a lot, despite my monthly hours dropping by about 20%. The multi sector night flights and constant changing from day to night ops wore me out, despite the fact I was logging around 45hrs per month.

Overtime is paid out when one exceeds 70hrs per month, there appears to be a very active plan by scheduling to adjust rosters to keep people below that level.

To answer your question, simply, in the 17 years I have been here, I have averaged about 600 to 650 hours per year.

gtseraf
23rd Nov 2018, 00:14
Luibar

These questions have been asked and answered many times.

yes one can

C class will be allocated with ANA as priority but it is available on other operations, if the requirements set by the company are met, I do not believe the contractor is in a position to select.

I suggest you have a good read at the thread, especially the most recent few pages, it may answer a lot of questions you may not have considered yet. This job is not for everyone and it is very important to do your homework thoroughly before jumping in.

The Dominican
23rd Nov 2018, 01:28
If you're going to need to use public transport perhaps it's better to live in Tokyo than a house in rural Chiba. How often are you doing min rest layovers in Narita? If you lived 90 minutes away by train in Tokyo would the 3 hours you lose to commuting be a factor in missing out on sleep?
Not sure what you mean by "Rural Chiba" If you want to move by a bamboo forest, that is up to you but most of us have apartments 5 to 20 minutes walk from Narita station and from there is a 12 minutes train ride to the airport.
The majority of folks have apartments in Narita, a few stay at the hotel here in Narita and a few others live in different parts of Tokyo. All have their pros & cons, living at an apartment in Narita seems to be the best overall option, the cost is fair (for Japan) close to the station and the airport, supermarkets, restaurants..., but it is a little boring since it is a small town. You do get a taxi to pick you up for the late night flights but outside of that you need to get to the airport, not that far nor difficult.

Living in Tokyo is definitely a lot more fun with many options as to what to do and where to eat but it comes at a price, everything from rent, electricity, gas, is more expensive in the city and it will take you from one to two hours to get to work depending on where you live, and the cheapest option will run you ¥3000 round trip. Also be mindful that your base is Narita, guys are having the taxis not picking them up at their apartments in Tokyo for late night flights and that means that you will have to leave your apartment early to head to the airport.

If you do a day trip with a 9am show that finish at 8 PM for example, you need to add at least 3 hours round trip to that for commute, but on a blank day, you are in Tokyo !

Stallone
23rd Nov 2018, 09:10
Stallone. A rather subjective answer to your question.

Looking ONLY at hours flown may not reflect the true wear and tear experienced. There was a time when the pax and freighter ops were split, AJX and AJV. I opted to stay on the pax operation. During this time we flew more hours than the AJV pilots, yet, it appeared we were less fatigued than the freighter plots. After the merger, I found my fatigue levels went up a lot, despite my monthly hours dropping by about 20%. The multi sector night flights and constant changing from day to night ops wore me out, despite the fact I was logging around 45hrs per month.

Overtime is paid out when one exceeds 70hrs per month, there appears to be a very active plan by scheduling to adjust rosters to keep people below that level.

To answer your question, simply, in the 17 years I have been here, I have averaged about 600 to 650 hours per year.
thanks for the clarification

I can totally understand your point of the roster pattern being the more crucial factor to fatigue than the actual flying hours.

drop24
23rd Nov 2018, 12:20
Well my dream has always been to live on an acreage or farm in rural Japan. That's too bad they don't offer employee parking. My wife's from Tokyo and would like to be back there. Narita would satisfy neither of us. I've spent a lot of time there on layovers and it didn't appeal to me much. I also sensed bit of an undercurrent of dislike of foreigners there that I imagine stems from all the aircrews and travelers coming and going. More so than in general Japan. Though they are usually too polite to let it show. I wonder if I lived in the sticks and drove into Narita if there is cheap parking available near the station so I could take the train from there?

jrmyl
24th Nov 2018, 06:47
Well my dream has always been to live on an acreage or farm in rural Japan. That's too bad they don't offer employee parking. My wife's from Tokyo and would like to be back there. Narita would satisfy neither of us. I've spent a lot of time there on layovers and it didn't appeal to me much. I also sensed bit of an undercurrent of dislike of foreigners there that I imagine stems from all the aircrews and travelers coming and going. More so than in general Japan. Though they are usually too polite to let it show. I wonder if I lived in the sticks and drove into Narita if there is cheap parking available near the station so I could take the train from there?

From what I just learned a couple of days ago, there is parking available at the airport for a monthly fee of 11,000 yen. Don't know anything else about it. There are a couple of parking garages near the station in Narita that has a big sign on the outside saying 500 yen/day.

I really don't get the undercurrent of hatred here that you mentioned. Not sure what it was that you were sensing but I don't see it.

Absolutely
24th Nov 2018, 08:44

I've lived in NRT for more than 15years. I have never been treated by the locals with anything but politeness and respect. Remember, their economy now relies on foreigners and I would say all have got on board with that.

Living out in the sticks is not an issue. We have at least one guy who lives down by the beach for surfing and drives to work. As jrmyl says above he parks somewhere for 500yen per day near the airport and they shuttle him into the airport. Easy.

drop24
24th Nov 2018, 13:16
That's great that there is such reasonable parking available. I guess that's thanks to all the land they have near the airport. Thanks all for your kind replies. I didn't mean that Narita citizens treat visitors badly. It was just an underlying feeling that the locals sometimes just tolerate you. A feeling you would have anywhere were a large amount of tourists. I've lived in Japan before and have accepted you will always be an outsider regardless of where and how long you live there. That's just something you have to be okay with or it will drive you mad like it does to so many ex-pats.

Sarbjeet
25th Nov 2018, 12:49
Hello everyone. Probably the best forum for pilots. Sorry if this has been answered. Do we get work permit from Japanese government to work for Air Japan? How do we enter Japan. Some says shore pass. Can we get more info please. Thanks in advance.

Luibar
25th Nov 2018, 12:56
gtseraf,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Commuting from Europe would be a long journey for me indeed...

Fratemate
25th Nov 2018, 22:38
Sarbjeet,

During initial training (until line training) you will get an Alien Registration Card. This allows you to remain in Japan for longer than a passport visa. Once the training is finished you will hand back your card and enter/leave Japan on either a Shore Pass or, if you want to fill your passport up with stickers, you can use your passport. Most people will use a Shore Pass during their time at work and maybe use their passport on their last trip, before going home, to add some flexibility to their travel arrangements......especially if they are using ZED tickets.

Regarding your PM. I cannot reply by PM as you are too new and don't have a mailbox. BUT, my reply would be to sit down with several cups of coffee/tea and read this thread. All your questions have been asked and answered several times.

Sarbjeet
26th Nov 2018, 01:43
@Fratemate, thanks for the information. What I am still concerned is as I am a from a country which required visa to enter Japan, will I be allowed to work just with shore pass or need to take tourist visa all the time? Thanks

jrmyl
27th Nov 2018, 01:28
@Fratemate, thanks for the information. What I am still concerned is as I am a from a country which required visa to enter Japan, will I be allowed to work just with shore pass or need to take tourist visa all the time? Thanks
That would be a question best answered by the contract agencies.

srilion
4th Dec 2018, 20:53
F/O type rated on A330 with 10k+ total hrs/ 9k heavy jet/ mostly long haul. Any latest info regarding the recruitment process/ upgrade opportunities is very much appreciated.

jrmyl
5th Dec 2018, 01:38
F/O type rated on A330 with 10k+ total hrs/ 9k heavy jet/ mostly long haul. Any latest info regarding the recruitment process/ upgrade opportunities is very much appreciated.
Everything is the same as previously reported in this thread. Nothing EVER changes here. Just read this and you will have all your answers.

srilion
5th Dec 2018, 20:24
Everything is the same as previously reported in this thread. Nothing EVER changes here. Just read this and you will have all your answers.
Thanks jrmyl !

Pardon me if this has been already answered, maybe I missed a post.
So is anyone here who got upgraded recently? How long before you’re offered a chance at assessment?
How long before the airline transitions to all 787s?

Thanks & rgds.

Fratemate
5th Dec 2018, 22:57
787 conversions are on hold at the moment due to the engine problems. They are examining the possibility of re-starting in April/May but that is only the latest best guess. I think the previous plan was to have got rid of passenger 767s in 2020 but that will now be later (2021?) The freighters will remain for some time after that but I haven't seen a date for them disappearing and it may well depend on whether ANA get the 787 freighter or switch to the 777 freighter. Long and short of it; assume you're going to fly the 767 for quite some time yet.

Your other questions have been answered many times before, so have a good read of the thread because it's all there and you would need to miss more than one post to have your questions unanswered.

drop24
6th Dec 2018, 04:41
Will the 787s replace the 767s one for one or is the fleet size expected to shrink a bit when they start retiring them?

jrmyl
6th Dec 2018, 04:56
Will the 787s replace the 767s one for one or is the fleet size expected to shrink a bit when they start retiring them?

We don't have our own fleet so that type of replacement thinking really doesn't apply here. They take orders for 787's and put the Air Japan name on them. We have certain flights that we operate the 787 on and routes we operate the 767 on. As the 787 takes over routes that the 767 used to fly those planes that used to do that route transition to doing domestic routes. So there really is no replacement for airframes here. Just routes.

Absolutely
6th Dec 2018, 06:56
As Jrmyl said. We just fly the routes ANA orders us to. We do not have our own aircraft. Every 767-300ER and every international configuration 787 that ANA operates has an Air Japan sticker slapped on both sides of them.

gtseraf
6th Dec 2018, 23:40

Mate, the locker room changes on regular basis ;)

jrmyl
7th Dec 2018, 13:21
Mate, the locker room changes on regular basis ;)
Sorry, I take it back then. It's all wonderful with all the change we are getting here. :\

drop24
7th Dec 2018, 16:07
So the operation is a let in the contract the ANA pilots have with the company to allow non-union pilots to operate some of the flights? How often is the contract up for renegotiation and when is it next?

jrmyl
8th Dec 2018, 06:41
So the operation is a let in the contract the ANA pilots have with the company to allow non-union pilots to operate some of the flights? How often is the contract up for renegotiation and when is it next?

I'm not sure if anyone here knows anything about the ANA Pilots contract. Been here coming up on 9 years and I haven't heard one detail about what is in or isn't in their contract.

gtseraf
9th Dec 2018, 00:09
Drop, I don't think things work that way in this part of the world, I've been here 17 years and have almost zero knowledge of agreements etc.

drop24
10th Dec 2018, 00:15
Congrats to both of you for your length of service. Is there a defined mandatory retirement age at Air Japan these days? Or an age when they generally just don't renew your contract?

Absolutely
10th Dec 2018, 00:26
Same as most countries. 65

bringbackthe80s
11th Dec 2018, 06:32
Hi all, sorry if this has been answered already but I can't find it.

I see that maximum days of sick pay are 12 days per year.
My question is, if you brake a leg and you need to be off for 3 months for example, do you not get payed? Do you guys all buy any other insurance yourself that protects you in these cases? Or maybe the temporary loss of licence would cover that?

Thanks

Fratemate
11th Dec 2018, 08:13
Well, first off, it's not 12 days a year but you can only accrue a TOTAL of 12 days. Sick days are accrued at the rate of 1 every 2 months so, yes, it will take 2 years of no sick days being used to get to a total of 12. It's pathetic and one of the worst parts of the contract. Once you reach 12 you cannot add any more, so it's almost encouraging you to go sick for a day or else you're just handing the Company back two months of no sickness. We've tried in the past to get the limit increased, so that if you are sick for longer you can use those days but this fell on deaf ears. Likewise, we tried to get any days over 12 to be paid off, say at the end of the contract but, again, the short-sighted in both Management and the contract companies didn't want to listen. So there is absolutely no incentive whatsoever to attempt to hold more than 12 days sick and this just demonstrates the stupidity of the sickness system.

With that rant over, both PARC and CREW have an insurance policy that kicks in after 2 weeks and will pay you (80% I THINK) until you're okay again. So, with you broken leg (caused by braking too hard I assume....given your spelling) you'll be okay for those 3 months and won't have to take out any additional insurance.

PARC traditionally had the good loss of licence insurance( LOL) and CREW had the great medical insurance. It was the LOL that paid out for those additional days off and CREW pilots did have to pay extra if they wanted LOL insurance. However, all of that has recently changed. CREW now get a better LOL than PARC and don't have to pay a single $ for it. CREW also have the same great medical insurance that covers the pilot AND their family and no excess payment. PARC's covers the pilot only (without additional payments) and you have an excess payment of GBP200/year. PARC have a lot of catching up to do but are just dragging their heals.

jrmyl
11th Dec 2018, 09:13
PARC have a lot of catching up to do but are just dragging their heals.

Are they dragging their heels while you heal from your bad break when you stepped on the brake?

Fratemate
11th Dec 2018, 09:32
Haha, well played. That will teach me to be nasty about others' spelling :)

bringbackthe80s
11th Dec 2018, 10:08
Ahahha thanks jrmyl

ok good info, thanks.

gtseraf
11th Dec 2018, 21:37
As for the medical insurance provided by Parc. It pays 80% of your BASIC salary up to a fortnightly maximum. A lot of the package is made up of "experience pay" and bonus, these are not included in the calculation. I don't have the numbers immediately available but this fortnightly maximum actually brings the percentage down quite a bit, eg, a newer Captain will only be at about 60% while the older guys are nearer 50% of total package . Read the contract very carefully and do your sums very carefully.

This medical cover pay is limited to a 24 month period

R.L
14th Dec 2018, 07:40
AJX pilots,

Hi, after reading threads for days, I really appreciate for the information here which answers most I need to know.

There are still some questions I would like to understand and I'm sorry if I miss any of them above here and please correct me if I am wrong about these ⬇︎

I'm realizing that the salary actually come from agent company in USD ( I assume) not AJX, so the salary will be wired through SWIFT to my home bank?
Entering and exiting Japan via Shore Pass or tourist visa or no visa required(my case), I'd like to know how people rent a room without a working visa.
No working visa or RP also means we are not allow to let family stay in Japan or children study in Japan right? Though they just 4 hours flight from NRT, it's still better if we stay together.
No working visa or RP also means we can't create a bank account in Japan and no cell plan like other Japanese have, basically we are just passerby for Japan immigration.
Do you or do you know anyone get a real estate? Is it possible?
Now here's a complex one, any one knows an act just passed few days ago about "Immigrant management and refugee recognizing" 通称・略称出入国管理法、入国管理法、入管難民法、入管法

I don't know the exact english name for this act, maybe there's no one, but this one will allow Japan gov to extend their flexibility to let foreign manpower go into Japan. Aviation is one of the industry which being allowed. From the news I read, it doesn't mention which part of aviation, pilots, attendants, engineers, dispatchers, ticketing or something else.

My question is, will this change the way we work? If it changes, does it mean we have a chance to long stay and get family here? But I can see the downside is the tax letter will come with this.

I know that try not let interviewer feel family outweighs the company. I'm working in a country also about 4 hours flight from my hometown, so it really doesn't matter to my family if I stay here or go to Japan. I'm asking just because it will be a plus about this position if we have a chance to live together in Japan.

Thanks again for information.

RL

jrmyl
17th Dec 2018, 14:04
AJX pilots,

Hi, after reading threads for days, I really appreciate for the information here which answers most I need to know.

There are still some questions I would like to understand and I'm sorry if I miss any of them above here and please correct me if I am wrong about these ⬇︎

I'm realizing that the salary actually come from agent company in USD ( I assume) not AJX, so the salary will be wired through SWIFT to my home bank? I am from the US so mine is indeed deposited in my bank account in USD.
Entering and exiting Japan via Shore Pass or tourist visa or no visa required(my case), I'd like to know how people rent a room without a working visa. We don't know how we do it, we just do. There is a local real estate gentleman who facilitates it for us.
No working visa or RP also means we are not allow to let family stay in Japan or children study in Japan right? Though they just 4 hours flight from NRT, it's still better if we stay together. Your family could live here if they wanted, they would just have to leave every 90 days or however long the tourist visa is. Of course schooling might be a different story. I don't have my family here so can't really give a definitive answer.
No working visa or RP also means we can't create a bank account in Japan and no cell plan like other Japanese have, basically we are just passerby for Japan immigration. Correct, however when you are here in initial training you are on a RP so some guys have set up bank accounts at that time.
Do you or do you know anyone get a real estate? Is it possible? Yes, we do have at least 1 person who has purchased a house, don't know how he did it though. Sorry.

Now here's a complex one, any one knows an act just passed few days ago about "Immigrant management and refugee recognizing" 通称・略称出入国管理法、入国管理法、入管難民法、入管法

I don't know the exact english name for this act, maybe there's no one, but this one will allow Japan gov to extend their flexibility to let foreign manpower go into Japan. Aviation is one of the industry which being allowed. From the news I read, it doesn't mention which part of aviation, pilots, attendants, engineers, dispatchers, ticketing or something else.

My question is, will this change the way we work? If it changes, does it mean we have a chance to long stay and get family here? But I can see the downside is the tax letter will come with this.I have read some articles that list jobs and pilots are not one of them. They are all basically low skilled, low wage positions.

I know that try not let interviewer feel family outweighs the company. I'm working in a country also about 4 hours flight from my hometown, so it really doesn't matter to my family if I stay here or go to Japan. I'm asking just because it will be a plus about this position if we have a chance to live together in Japan. Definitely don't let the family outweigh the job during the interview. Then when offered the job you need to decide to accept based on whether your family is ok with everything.

Thanks again for information.

RL

There might be better answers to some of these questions, ie. the bank account info, deposit info. Either way, good luck.

mackey
17th Dec 2018, 21:40
Good evening

Im current on the B757-200 and there doesn’t seem to be much info on a conversion course onto the 767, if there is one!!

Also, how long does it take to get the JCAB licence?

Any info greatfully received.

Mackey.

jrmyl
18th Dec 2018, 01:59
Good evening

Im current on the B757-200 and there doesn’t seem to be much info on a conversion course onto the 767, if there is one!!

Also, how long does it take to get the JCAB licence?

Any info greatfully received.

Mackey.
You didn't read the previous replies, did you? All the answers really are there.

Anyway, 757 doesn't matter to them. This is a 767 job. I'm not even sure if they have any 757's in Japan. So don't worry about a conversion. There is no such thing here. It takes roughly 5-6 months from start to check in the sim. Then another 2 months until check online.

Again, read the thread. All the answers are there except the 757 thing. Good luck.

drop24
19th Dec 2018, 15:16
What is the schedule like during training? For example, are you in class Monday to Friday 9-5 for 6 months?

jrmyl
19th Dec 2018, 21:31
What is the schedule like during training? For example, are you in class Monday to Friday 9-5 for 6 months?
No. There are quite a few days off. That's why it takes so long to complete the training.

Fratemate
19th Dec 2018, 22:08
Mackey,

As you have the 757/767 on your licence you are considered type-rated. IF they can pair you up with another type-rated pilot then the course is very slightly shorter as you don't need to do the 767 groundschool (although you will still do performance etc) and you don't need to do the type-rating test in the sim. You'll still do all the same air law, radio, emergency stuff etc. In total you may save approximately one month if you're lucky but if there's no other type-rated pilot to partner you then you'll be along for his ride and just twiddle your thumbs while they do groundschool.

Pinxo
25th Dec 2018, 06:59
Good evening everyone,

First of all I’d like to thank everyone that has been posting such useful information on this thread, very informative and above all, polite and professional. I’ve been following it for quite a while and I recently decided to pull the trigger on the pre-screening process through CREW.

I’ve read pretty much every post and discussion on the topic and I feel like a have a good grasp on what to expect, nonetheless I’d like to hear from some of the more “senior” guys on here about their thoughts on AJX operations, reliability and maintenance.

Is safety really number one priority for management or is it influenced by performance goals? How are the airplanes? I know it’s 70’s technology, but is half the plane gonna be deferred when we show up or are they good about fixing/maintaining things?

What’s the mentality of most of the pilots you fly with, regarding SOP compliance and safety? How about CA/FO culture? Is it gonna be like some other Asian carriers where you don’t touch anything till you’re told to or is it based on CRM?

Well, I hope y’all get the idea of what I’m asking, I really appreciate everyone’s time and responses on here. Thanks in advance and Merry Xmas to you all.

The Dominican
26th Dec 2018, 00:48
Is safety really number one priority for management or is it influenced by performance goals? How are the airplanes? I know it’s 70’s technology, but is half the plane gonna be deferred when we show up or are they good about fixing/maintaining things?

It is doubtful that you will find better maintained airplanes anywhere! You will come across an MEL mostly on seats or cargo locks etc, but an operational MEL not that often. To give you an idea, I've been here for 12 years and I've encountered a differed APU twice. They also give you plenty of fuel, they put a second alternate without requiring it, besides that, If you request a change of route or request more fuel, they just go off and do it, there is no arguing about it with some dispatcher.
What’s the mentality of most of the pilots you fly with, regarding SOP compliance and safety? How about CA/FO culture? Is it gonna be like some other Asian carriers where you don’t touch anything till you’re told to or is it based on CRM?

The pilot group for the most part are pretty standard as far as SOP's are concerned, CA/FO culture is pretty relaxed, we have our 5% of names that are the protagonists in 85% of the stories but that is in every pilot group. Good group of people to fly with.

The issues here are not with the operation nor the pilot group, now there are some company culture issues that are annoying and some people seem to be given a harder time than others, some folks are given preference on trips and being able to leave on the last day of duty for example, some pilots are given the hardest trips sometimes twice within a roster and others almost never get those harder trips, things like that that just tend to pissoff people without any logic or necessity!

mike1985
2nd Jan 2019, 10:34
Hi everyone and happy new year! Thanks for all the great information on this thread over the years!

I am considering applying to AJX and EK as an FO. I have been through every single page of this thread as well as the various EK threads on Pprune and am curious to know peoples opinion on which of the 2 is a better option at the moment.

I am not overly concerned about time to command, nor am I overly concerned about the salary or aircraft type. My main concern after flying a brutal narrow body schedule for the past few years is lifestyle. Wherever I go next will simply be a choice as to which will give me the most time off, and the least fatigue. If I am not mistaken AJX and EK days off over the course of a year (including leave) are more or less the same, just that at AJX they are consecutive. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Happy landings

jrmyl
2nd Jan 2019, 16:00
Hi everyone and happy new year! Thanks for all the great information on this thread over the years!

I am considering applying to AJX and EK as an FO. I have been through every single page of this thread as well as the various EK threads on Pprune and am curious to know peoples opinion on which of the 2 is a better option at the moment.

I am not overly concerned about time to command, nor am I overly concerned about the salary or aircraft type. My main concern after flying a brutal narrow body schedule for the past few years is lifestyle. Wherever I go next will simply be a choice as to which will give me the most time off, and the least fatigue. If I am not mistaken AJX and EK days off over the course of a year (including leave) are more or less the same, just that at AJX they are consecutive. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Happy landings
Do you like to fly 50 hours a month or 90? Do you like varied temperatures or the heat?

I have no personal experience at EK, just what I hear from others and those who have left EK to come to AJX.

heavydane
2nd Jan 2019, 16:21
Same,

Do You want to to relocate to the desert or live at home?
For me this is by far the better job, but each to his own.

Regards
HD

Moony123
2nd Jan 2019, 18:18
I'm leaving the airline down the road from EK for a March course with AJX. I can tell you that while i've (mostly!) enjoyed it here - it's not home, and for most people never will be.

And Dom, Frate, jrmyl, HD, gt and the rest - Thanks for the answers to some of my Q's a while back, and all the other invaluable feedback you guys post here. I'll buy the first round.

mike1985
3rd Jan 2019, 07:51
Thanks for the responses.

1 last question please.......

I read that you do a medical as part of the screening process and then another one at some point during the training period. Is this second medical to a higher standard or can you be comfortable that having passed the screening medical you should be able to pass the second one? And if you did fail the second one for something that’s correctable do you think they would work with you or put you out on the street?

Thanks

jrmyl
3rd Jan 2019, 15:46
Thanks for the responses.

1 last question please.......

I read that you do a medical as part of the screening process and then another one at some point during the training period. Is this second medical to a higher standard or can you be comfortable that having passed the screening medical you should be able to pass the second one? And if you did fail the second one for something that’s correctable do you think they would work with you or put you out on the street?

Thanks
I don't know the exact standards, but I think the second one is the same or slightly easier than the first. I actually failed the first due to high blood pressure. Did several rechecks after returning home and they accepted my doctors results which were all normal. Guess it was just the stress of the current situation at the time.

So I would hope that if it is something that isn't too serious they would work with you. Of course you never know as some times it seems they make up the rules as they go.

mike1985
3rd Jan 2019, 16:03
That’s great to hear. Thanks for taking the time to reply! All the best

goodSK
9th Jan 2019, 03:34
Just out of curiosity since requirements for FO position is pretty high.

Wondered if there are many ex-captains from other airlines applied for FO position and operating in-line?

Fratemate
9th Jan 2019, 22:14
Yes, there are quite a few FOs who have been captains in previous airlines. Most, I would say, have been regional captains on aircraft such as the CRJ but there are some who were captains for major airlines on larger aircraft. As the rules changed for DECs to have a JCAB ATPL (it didn't use to be the case), there are many pilots who have the flying time and experience as a captain but no Japanese licence.

There are some who tell you within a few seconds how they were a captain on an XYZ but most of them just do the job and wait their turn for an upgrade.

DonVitto
10th Jan 2019, 04:19
What are the realistic minimums to get a call for the assessment, or will 4500h Jet PIC minimums be enough?

Thanks in advance.

DonVitto
15th Jan 2019, 17:14
Thanks for the overwhelming amount of responses guys! ��

Fratemate
16th Jan 2019, 04:22
Depends what sort of 'jet' I would imagine. Citation etc; probably not. CRJ, Airbus, 737 etc; definitely. Or you could ask the contract companies and get a definitive answer, they'd probably be more responsive.

777lefty
16th Jan 2019, 04:59
Depends what sort of 'jet' I would imagine. Citation etc; probably not. CRJ, Airbus, 737 etc; definitely. Or you could ask the contract companies and get a definitive answer, they'd probably be more responsive.Captain Requirements (non-JCAB Licence holders)

6,000 hours Total Time
4,500 hours Commercial Jet PIC
Multi-engine Jet experience in excess of 65,000kg MTOW
Valid ATPL Jet Aircraft Command Rating (aircraft types B737/A320 equivalent or larger commercial jet)
Must have flown within the last 12 months
Under 55 years of age at time of commencement
Valid ICAO Medical Certificate
ICAO English Level 4 or higher

Captain Requirements (JCAB Licence holders)

JCAB Licence
6,000 hours Total Time
3,000 hours Jet PIC
minimum of 500 hours Jet PIC with a Japanese Airline
Valid JCAB ATPL with Command Jet Type Rating
Multi-engine Jet experience in excess of 50,000kg MTOW
Valid ICAO Medical Certificate
ICAO English Level 4 or higher

Regards,

Lefty

Fratemate
16th Jan 2019, 11:54
Good point. I was thinking he may have been applying for FO as there was nothing specific.

If the application is for captain then only the contract companies will give the definitive answer and anything here is just guesswork.

DonVitto
16th Jan 2019, 12:37
Thanks for the answers, Some weeks ago I crossed the 4500h PIC threshold to apply, all of these on the A32S, no PIC WB time though.

bringbackthe80s
17th Jan 2019, 06:34
I know about the requirements, but what I’d be considering well is embarking on a 767 DEC contract job in a new part of the world coming from a totally different aircraft

The Dominican
19th Jan 2019, 07:17
I know about the requirements, but what I’d be considering well is embarking on a 767 DEC contract job in a new part of the world coming from a totally different aircraft

Well, Why not? That is what the majority of us that came as DEC's did!

bringbackthe80s
19th Jan 2019, 07:50
This is also true ahahah

glidingeagle69
2nd Feb 2019, 09:29
Hi there, have anybody been to FRA for full screening recently? How did it look like? Thanks.

drop24
2nd Feb 2019, 11:51
For those that have gone through the application process with CReW how long did the entire process take from initial application to reporting for your first day of training? I'm just trying to time my application right for when I would like to start if successful. Also, how often does Air Japan hold groundschools these days?

NoN1
5th Feb 2019, 07:14
Hi,
An agency just told be there is a new 2 weeks on/off roster available? Is that actually happening?
Cheers

jrmyl
5th Feb 2019, 09:34
Hi,
An agency just told be there is a new 2 weeks on/off roster available? Is that actually happening?
Cheers
You can roster how you want. You get 12 days in a row off each month. Plus you can put 2 vacation days with that for a total of 14 days off. So in theory, you could do 2 weeks on 2 weeks off but in reality that wouldn't work. You would have to have some months where you are here for more than the 2 weeks.

This is the same as it has been for many years so no change. If the contract company is telling you that this is new then they are feeding you a line of bull.

NoN1
5th Feb 2019, 17:52
So you are saying its the 10 days off, plus 2 travel days, plus 2 annual leave days = 14? I wouldn't mind staying longer now and then, but how much longer? Thanks in advance for your input. I've got 4/4 now, but did 7 months at work last year.

gtseraf
5th Feb 2019, 18:29
to put some perspective on the off days.

All your commute travel must be done on your days off, so factor that in.

If you live a few time zones away from Japan, factor the continuous adjustment for the body clock, twice a month.

There have been issue in the past and still occur, where the last duty before days off mean you cannot leave for home until the first day off, so possibly scratch another day there.

The potential for 14 off in a row and the flexibility in how one uses on's days off is great here and is probably one of the main reasons so many of the guys stay here. It is not set in the contract and is something the company tries to assist with but can be taken away anytime it suits them

jrmyl
6th Feb 2019, 08:34
I am usually here for around 21 days at a time. That is my choice. I do two big blocks of days off each year. Once in the winter and once in the summer. Winter time I take 36 in a row off and summer time I will take 48 in a row off. Even doing that my average time here is 21 in a row. They are extremely flexible with the days off right now. Of course, like gtseraf said, they can take it away when ever they want. (although I doubt they would as there would be a huge number of people quit if they did that)

Cindyxx
7th Feb 2019, 04:36
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the contributions so far.
I have 2 questions here hopefully I could get answers.
Whats the medical standard in Japan? Do they limit people who wear glasses while flying?
I have approx 3000 totals, including 1750 Cessna hours as flight instructor and 1000 CRJ as First officer in United States. I don't quite understand their PICUS hours on their requirements.
Any one have better idea?
Thanks for the response in advance!

A321drvr
7th Feb 2019, 11:43
Hello Gents,

My apologies for the OFF in your thread. Looking for some insider info on Skymark, so pls PM me if you can help.

Best regards,

drvr

BroBear
7th Feb 2019, 14:32
Hi Cindyxx,

I believe you can simply disregard those PICUS stuff as you are coming from the FAA system. You did a CFI job in past so most probably you can easily meet their PIC requirements.

Regards

Fratemate
7th Feb 2019, 15:17
Cindy,

Don't worry about PICUS stuff. That can be used IF you don't have the requirements e.g if you didn't have 250 Hrs PIC then you could have 70 hours PIC and the 180 PICUS (or 500 PICUS).

I'm quite certain with your instructional hours you'll have quite enough PIC etc but just make sure you can tick all the boxes for night, cross country etc because they are required before a JCAB ATPL can be issued and you won't get one without qualifying for all the requirements.

Make sure you've got > 3000, not approx. The Japanese don't do approx.

Cindyxx
7th Feb 2019, 18:39
Cindy,

Don't worry about PICUS stuff. That can be used IF you don't have the requirements e.g if you didn't have 250 Hrs PIC then you could have 70 hours PIC and the 180 PICUS (or 500 PICUS).

I'm quite certain with your instructional hours you'll have quite enough PIC etc but just make sure you can tick all the boxes for night, cross country etc because they are required before a JCAB ATPL can be issued and you won't get one without qualifying for all the requirements.

Make sure you've got > 3000, not approx. The Japanese don't do approx.

Thank you Fratemate for the good advisory, Thats good news, I am pretty close to the requirements, I will definitely make sure I have >3000 before I turn in my application.
Any idea about the medial exam? I wear glasses during flight and I heard about their standards are pretty high, Thats what I am concerning about.
Cheers

desertcamel
9th Feb 2019, 09:58
AJX looks like a pretty good deal with all the cash involved, drawback is probably the 767 type rating(not many operators in Asia) and an 8 to 9 months training period for non-JCAB.
How long before one gets transferred to the Newer 787s? After 1st contract or totally discretionary ?

DC

Fratemate
9th Feb 2019, 12:09
Cindy,

There are plenty of AJX pilots who wear glasses. Talk to the contract agency (CREW would be best for an American) and they'll let you know the exact standards. You can make a decision from there but it's not the astronaut medical that many claim it is. China, on the other hand.....

Desert Camel,

At the moment new joiners cannot request the 787 until 1.5 years of being in the company (from the most recent communication). However, we might see things change. There are quite a few FOs who have not requested to move to the 787 because it will muck up their upgrade plans on the 767 and it is really only the junior guys who have gone across so far. Until there is a definite upgrade program on the 787 many are playing their cards close to their chests. Does this mean AJX will 'force' FOs to transfer? Who knows, but I would think they'll allow the really new guys to go before they did that......just my guess and not based on any word from the Company at all.

I'm sure by now the negatives of the training etc have been discussed enough. We all know it is ridiculously long but I'm sure it doesn't need saying every time someone makes a post. Either accept it and apply or don't bother. It won't change the way the Japanese do things either way, just as us telling them the same things to their faces doesn't change anything.

Cindyxx
9th Feb 2019, 20:10
Fratemate,

I have one weird question jumped out of my head lol..
Understanding that Japan is a man dominated country, would they have discrimination between male and female candidates as well ?
What's the proportion of female involves in aviation industry in Japan? I am concerning that female might not get the equal opportunity in job seeking and promotion and so on..
No offense, just curious. I do wanna go AJX but the culture things are really my concerns.

Thx!

desertcamel
10th Feb 2019, 07:09
Cindy,

There are plenty of AJX pilots who wear glasses. Talk to the contract agency (CREW would be best for an American) and they'll let you know the exact standards. You can make a decision from there but it's not the astronaut medical that many claim it is. China, on the other hand.....

Desert Camel,

At the moment new joiners cannot request the 787 until 1.5 years of being in the company (from the most recent communication). However, we might see things change. There are quite a few FOs who have not requested to move to the 787 because it will muck up their upgrade plans on the 767 and it is really only the junior guys who have gone across so far. Until there is a definite upgrade program on the 787 many are playing their cards close to their chests. Does this mean AJX will 'force' FOs to transfer? Who knows, but I would think they'll allow the really new guys to go before they did that......just my guess and not based on any word from the Company at all.

I'm sure by now the negatives of the training etc have been discussed enough. We all know it is ridiculously long but I'm sure it doesn't need saying every time someone makes a post. Either accept it and apply or don't bother. It won't change the way the Japanese do things either way, just as us telling them the same things to their faces doesn't change anything.

Fratemate,

Thanks for the info, but how about if one is joining as DEC on the 767? I would guess, it will be opposite. Most Juniors will have to do the whole term before seeing the 787.

DC

jrmyl
10th Feb 2019, 09:58
Fratemate,

Thanks for the info, but how about if one is joining as DEC on the 767? I would guess, it will be opposite. Most Juniors will have to do the whole term before seeing the 787.

DC
No. Most junior will NOT have to do the whole term. They are moving rapidly to the 787 and with the number of f/o's here all of them will be afforded the opportunity to go to the 787 before the end of their first term.

Cindy-- We currently have 3 females first officers working here. That is not a lot but they are all pretty junior so it seems that the power that be are willing to hire both sexes.

Fratemate
10th Feb 2019, 12:40
I think you misunderstood him, Jrmyl, he's talking about DECs.

DC: Yes, I think if you came here as a DEC then you would be waiting longer because I think the majority of captains will go to the 787 before they have to push some to go or assign the most junior/new joiners. There are plenty who want to stay on the 767 and there are a few who cannot convert due to the age rules they've put in place but I still believe it will be a some time before they get to the bottom of the captains list to convert, whereas the FO list will be gobbled up more quickly because there is a higher % who do not want to go.....the reasons mostly explained above.

Cindy: It is true we do not have the proportions of female to male pilots that some airlines have. In fact, we're even worse off than Jrmyl says because we lost one of our female FOs back to Qantas. Their gain and definitely our loss. We've now only got two and I am not going to put words into their mouths about how they feel they are treated but, hopefully, they don't feel discriminated against. ANA Mainline have quite a few female pilots, so I don't think any discrimination is a deliberate policy. If we lack female pilots in AJX it may be just because not that many have applied. We did have two other girls. One was here a reasonable amount of time but left when she failed her second attempt to upgrade. The other barely got into line training and went; it wasn't for her for quite a few reasons and I would say none of them were because she was discriminated against....in fact she had a lot of help. I'm sure there's a bunch of sexist old farts in the ANA Group but it is my opinion that if there are any in AJX they are few and far between.

jrmyl
10th Feb 2019, 21:38
I think you misunderstood him, Jrmyl, he's talking about DECs.

DC: Yes, I think if you came here as a DEC then you would be waiting longer because I think the majority of captains will go to the 787 before they have to push some to go or assign the most junior/new joiners. There are plenty who want to stay on the 767 and there are a few who cannot convert due to the age rules they've put in place but I still believe it will be a some time before they get to the bottom of the captains list to convert, whereas the FO list will be gobbled up more quickly because there is a higher % who do not want to go.....the reasons mostly explained above.

Cindy: It is true we do not have the proportions of female to male pilots that some airlines have. In fact, we're even worse off than Jrmyl says because we lost one of our female FOs back to Qantas. Their gain and definitely our loss. We've now only got two and I am not going to put words into their mouths about how they feel they are treated but, hopefully, they don't feel discriminated against. ANA Mainline have quite a few female pilots, so I don't think any discrimination is a deliberate policy. If we lack female pilots in AJX it may be just because not that many have applied. We did have two other girls. One was here a reasonable amount of time but left when she failed her second attempt to upgrade. The other barely got into line training and went; it wasn't for her for quite a few reasons and I would say none of them were because she was discriminated against....in fact she had a lot of help. I'm sure there's a bunch of sexist old farts in the ANA Group but it is my opinion that if there are any in AJX they are few and far between.

Woops, you are correct. He did say DEC. My bad.

Isn't there a lady in training right now? If so that would make the 3 I was talking about. Even so, still a small number.

desertcamel
10th Feb 2019, 23:21
Fratemate and Jrmyl !

thanks for the info. Cheers !

DC

Cindyxx
11th Feb 2019, 16:24
Rocky,
Congrats,
How long did it take from apply to being invited for the screening ? Did you turn in your application via Crew or any other agencies?

It would be exciting if you could shared some up -to -date interview info with us!

Christiaan
12th Feb 2019, 11:30
Hi all, pretty amazing all the response that has been given here.

Also I'm in the selection and next month I'll have it in Frankfurt.
I do have a question about where to practise the ATPL questions for at this interview?
Is there a package to buy somewhere online to practise some of these questions?

Many thanks and have a great day!

Cheers, Chris

oldhasbeen
16th Feb 2019, 01:08
At last, after 17 odd years, something interesting to read on here!

Fliegerfaust
16th Feb 2019, 12:29
Hi Cindyxx

I applied with CREW last February 5th, only receive the auto respond mail, nothing more.

VHFRT
17th Feb 2019, 15:55
I've been going through some of the forms and there is a question "are you prepared to relocate to Asia/Pacific?" (on the Longreach form). I assume this is to cut back on commuting costs.

I am looking to take this job to allow me to move home to South Africa. Is the commuting really to anywhere? Or will they have an issue with paying for J class tickets to Cape Town from Tokyo?

jrmyl
17th Feb 2019, 19:49
I've been going through some of the forms and there is a question "are you prepared to relocate to Asia/Pacific?" (on the Longreach form). I assume this is to cut back on commuting costs.

I am looking to take this job to allow me to move home to South Africa. Is the commuting really to anywhere? Or will they have an issue with paying for J class tickets to Cape Town from Tokyo?

Not sure why they would ask that. We have several from SA online and some in the training. The contract is to commute to wherever you want to tell them. If an agency is not wanting to let you commute to your home then you need to go through a different agency.

Broomstick Flier
18th Feb 2019, 11:20
Hi chaps,
Just saw that ANA Cargo is about to receive two B777 freighters during 2019. How will this impact, if it will, the AJX contract and what are the chances of flying it as well? Any inside rumours?

Best,
BF

jrmyl
18th Feb 2019, 15:28
Hi chaps,
Just saw that ANA Cargo is about to receive two B777 freighters during 2019. How will this impact, if it will, the AJX contract and what are the chances of flying it as well? Any inside rumours?

Best,
BF
It will not affect us as it is going to be flown by mainline pilots. We are strictly 767 and 787. I would love to fly the 777 but it just aint gonna happen.

Broomstick Flier
18th Feb 2019, 17:26
It will not affect us as it is going to be flown by mainline pilots. We are strictly 767 and 787. I would love to fly the 777 but it just aint gonna happen.

Thanks jrmyl!
Makes sense. But, never say never, perhaps in a distance future (considering the 777 and the 787 share the same type rating).

BF

jrmyl
18th Feb 2019, 18:42
Thanks jrmyl!
Makes sense. But, never say never, perhaps in a distance future (considering the 777 and the 787 share the same type rating).

BF
In the rest of the world they share the same type rating. Not in Japan, at least that I am aware of. They do them separately.

bringbackthe80s
19th Feb 2019, 12:23
This actually protects you, it might be cool to fly both types but my friends who do that are used much more than if it was 787 only.
I think even say A320 and 321 are different types, and to be honest with all the modifications and versions the manufacturer keeps doing so it should be.
When you have a problem and land overweight because you were thinking other 3 MLWs it’s actually not so nice.

galdian
19th Feb 2019, 12:57
When AirDo introduced the -700NG there had to be two pilot groups, -500 and -700NG
No commonality allowed according to JCAB, no idea if thinking has modified over the years.

Would suggest hoping commonality of B777/787 per JCAB a big ask.

Cheers.

JJ330
20th Feb 2019, 08:09
Japanese CAB has changed their policy recently.
https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/20190216-OYT1T50162/

bringbackthe80s
20th Feb 2019, 10:16
Thanks for the link.
It says they will have a massive shortage of pilots by 2030, this can only be good news for JCAB licence holders

Stallone
22nd Feb 2019, 10:24
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/pilot-drinking-delays-japan-plane-despite-new-rules-11280152?cid=FBcna

bringbackthe80s
22nd Feb 2019, 10:56
Guys please could you tell me how the staff tickets concessions work with ANA mainline?

I mean an update on how well do they work and can you get business class zed tickets?

Fratemate
23rd Feb 2019, 00:15
They work well. You book the ticket through the MyIDTravel website and the ticket is issued instantly. Like anywhere you'll need to check the loads and be a bit sensible of where you're travelling and when. Yes, you can get business class ZED tickets on ANA.

bringbackthe80s
23rd Feb 2019, 06:17
Great, thank you.

bringbackthe80s
25th Feb 2019, 08:13
Sorry for the OT, a lot of Japanese companies seem not to be approved fot CAT2/3 ops. Is this something to do with the JCAB, is it quite standard in Japan?

The Dominican
25th Feb 2019, 12:23
Sorry for the OT, a lot of Japanese companies seem not to be approved fot CAT2/3 ops. Is this something to do with the JCAB, is it quite standard in Japan?
Mainline is Cat3 and AJX is Cat2... Basically they don't certify it if it is not needed.

bringbackthe80s
25th Feb 2019, 12:43
Ok thanks understood

drop24
3rd Mar 2019, 14:30
Does the pay scale top out at 5 years? Are years of service carried over from FO to CA if you upgrade? Or do you go from say year 5 FO pay to year 1 CA pay?

jrmyl
3rd Mar 2019, 15:03
Does the pay scale top out at 5 years? Are years of service carried over from FO to CA if you upgrade? Or do you go from say year 5 FO pay to year 1 CA pay?
There is no real pay scale, per se. You have an fo contract for 5 years. Then, if renewed, you get another fo contract for 5 years. Once you upgrade, you get a captain contract for 5 years. The payscales will continue to increase on each contract. They don't increase much but they do increase.

I haven't done my second captain contract yet, still have 1 more year, but I am assuming that the pay will continue to increase marginally.

Edit: Ok, was just informed by a wonderful co-worker of mine that there is a payscale. This is the first I have seen it in almost 9 years of working here. Apparently it is not easy to come across. The pay does increase each year and it is a 20 year payscale. And, in my opinion, needs to be increased by a couple of thousand each month.

umop apisdn
5th Mar 2019, 19:17
Thinking of applying to Air Japan with 1000 jet FO hours and over 3000 total. Wondering if it be in with a chance or if the "actual" requirement is a lot higher.

Thanks

gtseraf
5th Mar 2019, 22:44
if you meet the minimum requirements, submit an application. The worst you can get is a "thanks but no thanks". My guess is that the "selection" will depend on many factors, most of which come in to play once they look at the actual applications. It's a bit like the Lotto, you'll never win without a ticket

denelli
8th Mar 2019, 16:04
Hello all!

If joining as a FO how long is the Upgrade wait to become Captain on the 767 or 787? I have just been told its not guaranteed and plan to be an FO for ever with this company. This was from rishworth. I am Currently a Captain on a 737NG but this contract looks really good for commuters.

Fratemate
9th Mar 2019, 10:01
Ignore Rishworth, they are irrelevant.

There has been no change to the upgrade policy as written in the rest of this thread.

denelli
11th Mar 2019, 04:43
Thanks Fratemate for your response. Much appreciated!

How long is the Upgrade wait time currently?

Stallone
12th Mar 2019, 00:10
One question regarding the roster

On a typical day, do you fly 2 sectors or single sector? Is it more likely to be flying 2 sectors if it's a cargo duty?

jrmyl
12th Mar 2019, 00:44
One question regarding the roster

On a typical day, do you fly 2 sectors or single sector? Is it more likely to be flying 2 sectors if it's a cargo duty?
There really is no typical day. Some days are 2 sectors, others are 1. Can be passenger or cargo. 2 sector duties can be from 5 to 9 hours of flight time depending on where you are going.

gtseraf
12th Mar 2019, 22:33
There really is no typical day. Some days are 2 sectors, others are 1. Can be passenger or cargo. 2 sector duties can be from 5 to 9 hours of flight time depending on where you are going.

some duties are more than 10 hrs, it is interesting to note that some duties (including back of the clock) are planning to within 5 minutes of the company limits. Many BOC duties are 2 sector all nighters, the average schedule also flip flops from day to night back to day duties. There is very little consistency in scheduling (unlike some companies who run a series of earlys, then lates), the result being, after a week or so in Japan, one's body has no idea when it should be asleep or not and many pilots end up napping when they can instead of enjoying a full night's sleep.. Add to that the fact that many commuters are not acclimatised to local time when they commute in.

gottofly
15th Mar 2019, 07:18
Hello All,

Will appreciate some guidance :

Are the Sim practice sessions worth paying for? How much do they cost and how many sessions are usually recommended before ones assessment?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

gottofly

The Dominican
16th Mar 2019, 04:58
Hello All,

Will appreciate some guidance :

Are the Sim practice sessions worth paying for? How much do they cost and how many sessions are usually recommended before ones assessment?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

gottofly

That in fact is a subjective question and has been asked here many times so I'll give you the same answer I've been giving for a decade!

It depends..., the 76 is an older lady and she doesn't have the nice features in flight characteristic that some of you are used to, like changes in pitch when you change power settings, yes folks! Airplanes didn't use to stay at the same bank angle until you changed it, you have to deal with the thing ballooning when you add flaps! I know it sounds strange but that is how airplanes use to behave in yesteryear!

Ok, This is me making fun at the fact that lately I'm the oldest one on the GD! But it is along the lines of the answer!

if you have been flying a full glass, Fly by Wire contraption and you have little or no experience with steam gauges then I would definitely recommend some sim time because the place to realize that you have no idea what you are looking at is not during the evaluation!

Now, if you have been flying another "Historic" machine and you are used to blended instruments, or even better, are used to an airplane raining inside after you have gone through a rain shower! Then you are better off spending your time learning the pitch and power settings that come in your interview package! She flies like what you are used to.

good luck!

gottofly
16th Mar 2019, 17:47
Thank you for the guidance Dominican. I have skipped pages in between this whole thread frankly so must have missed your earlier posts.I am currently flying the B737NG since last 14 yrs or so.

Also can someone guide me on the below points please.

If I don’t have 6 months validity on my PPC/IR, medical etc , is that going to be a problem? Because if I start my application today and get interviewed say in June, then 2 odd months before I get the results....I won’t have the 6 months , maybe 4.

Also I have been reading about medical stuff. I have undergone laser surgery on my eyes, is that a fail? Also this balance test they have, I tried to balance on one leg with hands out...I can barely manage a few seconds. Is that a fail?

Thank you.

The Dominican
17th Mar 2019, 21:02
If I don’t have 6 months validity on my PPC/IR, medical etc , is that going to be a problem? Because if I start my application today and get interviewed say in June, then 2 odd months before I get the results....I won’t have the 6 months , maybe 4.

The status of your current medical is irrelevant, they will make you take a NASA style medical regardless.

Also I have been reading about medical stuff. I have undergone laser surgery on my eyes, is that a fail? Also this balance test they have, I tried to balance on one leg with hands out...I can barely manage a few seconds. Is that a fail?

Laser Eye Surgery is now an approved procedure by JCAB, you have to fill out some forms and go through additional eye test but it is accepted now.
About the balance test, maybe someone who has gone through an Initial medical recently can chime in but the last time I did it was with a machine, they had me step on a disc on the floor that measures the pressure as you balance and they didn't have me stand on one foot. Hopefully someone else can shed some light.

gottofly
18th Mar 2019, 02:21
Truly appreciate your response Dominican.

Fliegerfaust
20th Mar 2019, 01:10
Hi all,
Does anyone knows if AJX helps to open a bank account in Japan once hired?

thanks.

tky
22nd Mar 2019, 02:04
Hi guys,

Any idea how long is the wait before they call you for a interview?

Thanks

gtseraf
22nd Mar 2019, 11:39
Hi all,
Does anyone knows if AJX helps to open a bank account in Japan once hired?

thanks.
they will not help you open an account in Japan, once training is done you have no residency in Japan.

797 rider
24th Mar 2019, 10:53
Hi
iIam currently flying B737 and now have an opportunity to take a conversion to B777 in the company I am currently working for.
If I take the opportunity, there will be an addition of $30000 to my current bond.
My ultimate goal in airline life is to enter ajx. In this situation if you were me how would you do?

Thanks for your reply in advance

crj100200
27th Mar 2019, 15:38
Hello friends. I was reading a lot this thread. I am wondering if do you know someone that are commuting in souh america with B767, because I know it is so far from Japan.
If you dont want to come back to you house with the bussines class ticket, they will pay 2000? or pro rated just for these 12 days of? Thank you in advance!

jrmyl
28th Mar 2019, 02:18
Hello friends. I was reading a lot this thread. I am wondering if do you know someone that are commuting in souh america with B767, because I know it is so far from Japan.
If you dont want to come back to you house with the bussines class ticket, they will pay 2000? or pro rated just for these 12 days of? Thank you in advance!
Yes, there are a couple of Brazilians here. Although I think one of them has recently relocated to the US since the commute is so long.

There is no prorating of your commute allowance. You either take the business class ticket to your place of residence or the 2000.

incspeed
7th Apr 2019, 14:12
Hi Guys,

anyone knows how long is the wait time for
command upgrade? Are they moving pilots to the 787? And what about the commuting to Spain or Canada? Looking for some flights to go back to Japan there is the time zone problem. The company give an extra day of commuting due to this or I will have to use one of my days off to go back to work?
And the tickets should be in ANA network or I will send for them where I live and they will make the arrengements?

thanks

jrmyl
7th Apr 2019, 14:55
Hi Guys,

anyone knows how long is the wait time for
command upgrade? Are they moving pilots to the 787? And what about the commuting to Spain or Canada? Looking for some flights to go back to Japan there is the time zone problem. The company give an extra day of commuting due to this or I will have to use one of my days off to go back to work?
And the tickets should be in ANA network or I will send for them where I live and they will make the arrengements?

thanks
Seriously, just read the thread. Everything you just asked about has already been discussed several times.

TheFatViking
9th Apr 2019, 16:18
Hi guys,

many thanks for such an informative thread here on the forum which is usually much more rotten. Professional and informative for guys looking for the greener grass on the other side of the world.

I have been trying to go through the forum to not post any question that haven't yet been answered. However I don't think this one has been discussed in the near future:

How do you guys sort out the self provided accommodation when you're on duty in Tokyo? Do you guys usually share an apartment or stay in hotels etc? Also, does this amount to a very big lump of money or is this easily overseen? I know that Tokyo's a big place and accommodation can be expensive so I just wonder how you guys usually do it.

I really hope to be joining in the company in the near future and that I might be deemed worthy to come fly with you guys!

Once again thanks for the informative forum posts and dedication to helping us out who are still in the dark!

Cheers

Fratemate
10th Apr 2019, 03:40
Edited to add: We don't sort out accommodation when we're on duty. AJX provides accommodation when downroute and when we're in Japan for duty e.g. simulator.

When we're off duty:

You receive $550 per month accommodation allowance. If you are on standby and do not get called then you will receive an 'extra' $55 to cover the additional accommodation.

If you choose to stay in MyStays Hotel you will pay JPY7000 per night. There is an amazingly complicated formula where they calculate if the exchange rate etc covers your accommodation and if you get additional money but no-one actually understands it. Sometimes extra money appears on the pay slip to cover the above :)

Some people choose to stay in Narita apartments, which are cheaper than Tokyo and closer to commute to the airport (assuming you're not rostered to fly from HND). Apartments are usually around the JPY80000-90000 per month mark, including utilities. Some people have their own, single, apartments and some share slightly larger ones. If you think of around JPY80000 for a single and JPY50000 for sharing then I reckon you'll be able to calculate if you'd like to do that or not.

I don't know how much the guys in Tokyo pay but they will be more expensive. They get to enjoy the proximity of the sights and sounds of Tokyo itself, instead of Narita, but will have to endure the extra time on the train/bus most of the time commuting to NRT for duty. Sometimes they will fly from HND and there commute will be greatly reduced but that will be in the minority and the schedulers don't care where you live.

TheFatViking
10th Apr 2019, 17:18
Fratemate, big thanks for that! I am amazed by the treatment they seem to give you guys and also the conditions that follows. Usually it seems like it’s one or the other. :}

If anybody has any experience working for AJX while living in Malaysia, or have any information about it, please can I send a DM for a few questions?

Again, thanks everybody!

Benttis
16th Apr 2019, 16:38
Hello, I have gone through many posts here and have not found anything to cover my query. How does AJX manage the ATP requirement for FO? I mean, I took a look at the requirements for this position on their brokers and they ask for ATPL. Most airlines on the world just ask for frozen-ATPL when you are FO (which means to pass the written exam once a year, and once you get your upgrade they sign your ATPL), is this the case of AJX? In my case I have +8000 TT and 6500 as AIB FO with frozen-ATPL.

Thanks for your help.

Absolutely
19th Apr 2019, 02:35
Benttis,

Japanese airlines are NOT most airlines in the world!

You need an ATPL to get hired here as a foreigner. Even hired as an FO all your sim time as PF will be in the left seat. There are 2 sim checks, the first one a type rating (unless you are already 767 rated), the second one is a check to issue you a Japanese ATPL with a command rating on the 767.

JFL
20th Apr 2019, 00:32
Any Americans on roster that live in Japan and use the foreign earn income exclusion? I would like to PM. Thanks

=================================

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history

nikitolod11
22nd Apr 2019, 22:06
Hi thanks to all for your info. I have Been reading it during the last days.

I spoke with and agent from Rishworth specifically of the requirements and request clarification on the part they say 250 PIC Or PICUS, in the first instance I though I have all AJX is asking for Fo, this agent told me that my flight hour in flight school seated in the left seat with or with out instructor can be taking into account as PICUS (my log book doesn’t have PICUS, the are logged as cross country, night, maneuvers, vfr and etc).

Today I personally called CREW and they told me that PICUS only apply for the log book that say PICUS exactly, because not all regulatory agencies around the world consider PICUS, so If my log doesn’t say PICUS I must have 250 PIC logged. So before I go too deep in the app I will like to know if someone here knows exactly the rule, because Rishworth say one thing and then Crew say other thing.

Last question, my daily flights in my Arline as a B737 FO can be taking into the account of the 200 cross country hours requirement.

In advance I appreciate your time and help.

blue skies!

lucky_strike
23rd Apr 2019, 06:15
I was trying to see the differences in the contracts of the two agencies that I know who hire for AJX, I could find two differences as follows :

1) While CREW offers $ 550 as pension, PARC offers $ 1000 as pension added to monthly salaries ( I am not USA citizen and don’t know how exactly this works ) but that’s a difference of $ 5400 a year

2) While CREW offers $ 2000 flat in lieu of the Y ticket, PARC also says the same but it mentions that this is pro rata, not sure exactly what they mean by that and how it works ?

All the other figures remain the same.

If someone can please explain on the two points above, it will help me in shortlisting the agency to go with.

heavydane
23rd Apr 2019, 09:05
CREW hands down.
Medical insurance covers Your family.
Good people to deal with.
A vested interest and not just a brick in a big capital fond.

Regards
HD

The Dominican
23rd Apr 2019, 15:59
1) While CREW offers $ 550 as pension, PARC offers $ 1000 as pension added to monthly salaries ( I am not USA citizen and don’t know how exactly this works ) but that’s a difference of $ 5400 a year

Both the pension and the loss of license insurance are better with PARC, the medical is better with CREW.

Both are reputable companies that have been working this contract for an long time. There has been changes at PARC since the buyout from CAE and many of the people we used to deal with are gone, but the folks that have taken over are doing a good job in my opinion.
Frank from CREW is a straight shooter and willing to help and answer questions even if you are with another contract company! Good guy.

2) While CREW offers $ 2000 flat in lieu of the Y ticket, PARC also says the same but it mentions that this is pro rata, not sure exactly what they mean by that and how it works ?

Not sure what that "pro rate" language you are talking about on the PARC contract, you get the $2000 in lieu of the C class ticket with both agencies!

Fratemate
23rd Apr 2019, 23:52
Both the pension and the loss of license insurance are better with PARC, the medical is better with CREW

That was true, TD, but now CREW's loss of licence is better than PARC. Not only do they get the same payout each month but they also get a lump sum at the end of two years. CREW pilots do not pay extra for this, as they had to when it first came out.

I would rather have a lower pension/401K contribution and the CREW medical. Much better cover and includes the whole family.

Benttis
24th Apr 2019, 17:00
Thank you Absolutely, I’m working on my ATPL now, and last questions, what books, PDFs are recommended for the interviews and is there any book specific for Japanese ATPL? I currently fly A320, I suppose my interview is in a A320 sim?

Thank you!

Benttis,

Japanese airlines are NOT most airlines in the world!

You need an ATPL to get hired here as a foreigner. Even hired as an FO all your sim time as PF will be in the left seat. There are 2 sim checks, the first one a type rating (unless you are already 767 rated), the second one is a check to issue you a Japanese ATPL with a command rating on the 767.
thanks

Fratemate
24th Apr 2019, 23:20
The Japanese Air Law is based mainly on the FAA Regulations, so if you have a decent knowledge of those then you'll be fine. Buried in this thread, somewhere, is a book recommended in recent years for the interview but you'll have to look for that yourself. When I did the interview process there were no technical/written questions, just some basic stuff in the interview about runway lights, CAT III and oxygen.

You will be given everything you need for the Japanese Air Law. There is no need to study it beforehand and you'd probably just do yourself a disservice, as they teach you what you need to know.

Your sim check will be in a 767, no matter what you currently fly.

Kein09
26th Apr 2019, 02:32
There are contract foreign pilots working in Japan.(AJX APJ FDA etc)
Believe or not… Do no work for airlines in Japan.
Working condition is terrible there and contract is not strictly follow.
At first glance, their packages are attractive but it is not…
Probably very conservative and narrow mind culture will frustrate you a lot.
Many of first officers are inexperience graduates who got into airlines through unfair connection of aviation universities and designated school so you have to deal with those people who think they are elite…That is an issue and foundation of really conservative culture here. You will be frustrated at the end..

drop24
27th Apr 2019, 13:07
Are the bonuses taxable in Japan if you are a Japanese resident? My wife seems to think bonuses in Japan are not taxed like regular income but that doesn't sound right to me.

Kein09
27th Apr 2019, 13:28
Are the bonuses taxable in Japan if you are a Japanese resident? My wife seems to think bonuses in Japan are not taxed like regular income but that doesn't sound right to me.

No matter you are foreigner or Japanese, you have to pay tax. That is No exception!!
Bonuses are also deducted and nowadays income tax is soaring due to fiscal deficits.

drop24
27th Apr 2019, 16:38
Thanks I thought it sounded too good to be true.

A321drvr
27th Apr 2019, 18:28
Hi,

I have many friends from all over the world working and living in Japan, some with family, some commuting. None of them are regretting making the move from their previous jobs in SE Asia, China, Europe, US, ME, etc. In fact I'm seriously considering giving it a second thought myself as well,a I'm not too happy with news coming out of Vietnam and China lately, in addition to having enough of the crap from allover Euroland.

Just my two cents.

Agency does matter though.

drvr

gtseraf
28th Apr 2019, 03:43
Hi,

I have many friends from all over the world working and living in Japan, some with family, some commuting. None of them are regretting making the move from their previous jobs in SE Asia, China, Europe, US, ME, etc. In fact I'm seriously considering giving it a second thought myself as well,a I'm not too happy with news coming out of Vietnam and China lately, in addition to having enough of the crap from allover Euroland.

Just my two cents.

Agency does matter though.

drvr

As with any move to any job, there are those who love it, those who hate it and those who tolerate it. The company has experienced consistent attrition throughout most of its history, at some stages worse than others. Right now, the way I see it, attrition rate is higher than average. Anyone planning on working as a contractor in a foreign land should accept the fact that you will be a guest worker in a strange culture, you are not there because it gives the company a warm fuzzy feeling in the stomach, you are there to meet a demand that the company cannot meet from within, for whatever reason. It is very challenging, can be very intimidating and is definitely not ideal for everyone. I would personally not be leaving a secure job to venture into the world of contracting in a foreign land, just my 2 cents worth.

Who stole my meds
28th Apr 2019, 14:13
No matter you are foreigner or Japanese, you have to pay tax. That is No exception!!
Bonuses are also deducted and nowadays income tax is soaring due to fiscal deficits.

It goes without saying that a pilot would have to pay tax in whichever country they are domiciled (USA, UK etc) but are you guys now paying tax in Japan as well?

Fratemate
28th Apr 2019, 22:44
No. (Plus some letters to enable me to post).

Who stole my meds
29th Apr 2019, 04:27
No. (Plus some letters to enable me to post).

Awesome........(Awesome was too short. I added this so I can post)

B-757
30th Apr 2019, 03:21
..With all respect, this statement is incorrect..I know several contract pilots, who are not taxed on a foreign income..Yes, 0 tax..
..It all depends on tax agreements between different nations..Confirmed information..

Fly safe,
B-757

gtseraf
30th Apr 2019, 03:32
..With all respect, this statement is incorrect..I know several contract pilots, who are not taxed on a foreign income..Yes, 0 tax..
..It all depends on tax agreements between different nations..Confirmed information..

Fly safe,
B-757

If you read the question to this answer, it referred to Japanese residents and THEIR tax liability. So, I believe the response is correct, IF you are a Japanese resident, Japanese national or foreigner, you have a tax liability on all income.

B-757
30th Apr 2019, 04:54
If you read the question to this answer, it referred to Japanese residents and THEIR tax liability. So, I believe the response is correct, IF you are a Japanese resident, Japanese national or foreigner, you have a tax liability on all income...No argument here..I was referring to the commuters, as AJX does not sponsor residency in Japan, I believe..Thanks,

Fly safe
B-757

RUMBEAR
30th Apr 2019, 05:15
B-757

I think anyone who seriously believes they can do these contracts and not pay tax anywhere is living in their own fantasy world. Everyone has to be a citizen / resident somewhere. ANA don’t provide resident visas for this contract so even if you spend your time off travelling the world you are still a resident somewhere. I don’t think it’s possible to be stateless ( although I’m sure someone will try and argue otherwise). Tax law is different all over the world but one thing is pretty consistent in that everyone pays their share of tax..

Im sure many are trying their luck at avoiding tax and I’m sure they can for a while but I’d hate to be them when the tax man knocks on the door.

I see see this as a little like speeding in your car. Some do it every day but only believe they have broken the law when they get caught!

The Dragon
30th Apr 2019, 07:08
With regards to the medical, what happens if you can't stand on one leg with your eyes closed for 1 min?

jrmyl
30th Apr 2019, 07:14
With regards to the medical, what happens if you can't stand on one leg with your eyes closed for 1 min?
Not sure. Is that a requirement? My last medical it was feet together with eyes closed for approx 30 sec. One foot in front of the other eyes closed 30 sec and then switch feet. Didn't stand on one foot. Maybe it's for the initial one but not on the subsequent ones.

jrmyl
30th Apr 2019, 07:16
..No argument here..I was referring to the commuters, as AJX does not sponsor residency in Japan, I believe..Thanks,

Fly safe
B-757
And we do have Japanese citizens working here who are on the contract. So they would be paying Japanese tax. Otherwise, don't ask on here about if you need to pay tax or not. WE DON'T KNOW YOUR SITUATION. You need to talk to a tax professional in your country. End of story.

The Dragon
30th Apr 2019, 07:18
Not sure. Is that a requirement? My last medical it was feet together with eyes closed for approx 30 sec. One foot in front of the other eyes closed 30 sec and then switch feet. Didn't stand on one foot. Maybe it's for the initial one but not on the subsequent ones.

Thanks Jrmyl, maybe a yoga class or two required before then just to be sure ;-)

The Dragon
30th Apr 2019, 07:23
On another note: what is the general consensus on the shop floor regarding Direct Entry Captains? Does the employment of a DEC's have any effect on the time to command for the FO's that are currently online and moving towards their command?

B-757
30th Apr 2019, 07:53
Tax law is different all over the world but one thing is pretty consistent in that everyone pays their share of tax..
[/QUOTE]..RUMBEAR, the only tax advise that I have given to anybody, and will give, is to go have a chat with a tax lawyer..

..This is how I happen know that some countries, mostly in the EU, do not charge tax on work performed overseas (with some restrictions applied usually)..It all depends on international agreements between different countries..

..So like you said, there are a few lucky contract pilots around, who are living in the fantasy world..

Fly safe,
B-757

jrmyl
30th Apr 2019, 09:07
On another note: what is the general consensus on the shop floor regarding Direct Entry Captains? Does the employment of a DEC's have any effect on the time to command for the FO's that are currently online and moving towards their command?
DEC's do not affect time to upgrade for f/o's. So no one really cares if you come in as one or not.

JFL
1st May 2019, 00:52
For the specific Crew contract members defined below, is the salary considered foreign earned income?

Specifically for those members who are allowed to legally stay in Japan after the work period.

I am not talking about any company sponsored VISA. I am directing this question at folks who legally remain in Japan during their non-contract/off period (e.g. married to Japanese citizen and the US member has spousal resident VISA).

jrmyl
1st May 2019, 07:11
For the specific Crew contract members defined below, is the salary considered foreign earned income?

Specifically for those members who are allowed to legally stay in Japan after the work period.

I am not talking about any company sponsored VISA. I am directing this question at folks who legally remain in Japan during their non-contract/off period (e.g. married to Japanese citizen and the US member has spousal resident VISA).

It's good you aren't talking about any company sponsored VISA as they don't offer any type of that.

As far as your tax question, again, don't ask on here as we really aren't qualified to answer those questions. I can only tell you my situation as a US citizen working here. I have an apartment and have a tax professional in the US who does my taxes. I do claim the foreign earned income exclusion.

What you do is between you and your tax person.

JFL
1st May 2019, 23:25
It's good you aren't talking about any company sponsored VISA as they don't offer any type of that.

As far as your tax question, again, don't ask on here as we really aren't qualified to answer those questions. I can only tell you my situation as a US citizen working here. I have an apartment and have a tax professional in the US who does my taxes. I do claim the foreign earned income exclusion.

What you do is between you and your tax person.

Appreciate, thanks for answering the question and not going off on a tangent. Folks tend read the question they want to answer!

crj100200
2nd May 2019, 15:41
Hello everyone! I just wanna know something especific about the medical test. Could someone fail just for cholesterol? I mean, everything looks good, all the other exams would be ok, like BMI, interview and sim ok, but just High Cholesterol. Could that, be a big problem?
Thanks!

iNCApacitated
3rd May 2019, 03:03
If your cholesterol is a little high, you should be OK. If there are 2 strikes against you in the medical (cholesterol and high BMI), then you will most likely be disqualified.

Good luck. :ok:

crj100200
3rd May 2019, 03:16
Thank you for your response, iNCApacitated.

iNCApacitated
4th May 2019, 02:55
Having said that, I used to take this stuff called Cholestoff. All natural. Dropped my Cholesterol by 30 points.

Then I tried taking Lipitor. It dropped my Cholesterol by 70-80 points. I stopped taking it about a week before my medical and it was well under 200.

I would stop all shellfish. It raises your cholesterol immensely ! I knew this Chinese guy he was 175cm ad about 65 kgs. He had a cholesterol of over 600 ! His only diet was fish and seafood. Needless to say he had to do a recheck every medical.

drop24
4th May 2019, 19:27
Is there anything to stop them from offering the "bonus" again at the start of a new contract? Do you think it will be an ongoing thing or will they one day just stop if they have as much crew as they need?

iNCApacitated
4th May 2019, 21:54
Is there anything to stop them from offering the "bonus" again at the start of a new contract? Do you think it will be an ongoing thing or will they one day just stop if they have as much crew as they need?

Who knows. It's Japan. Anything can happen.:ugh:

From what I understand, that money that went to the "bonus" was because the ANA pilots union would not allow foreign pilots to be paid more than they do, comparing salaries vs salaries. Hence the company put in this bonus. It's there now, but who knows when/if it will still be there. :confused:

https://media0.giphy.com/media/BZUXTEvJSPsUo/giphy.gif

jrmyl
5th May 2019, 00:19
There are two different types of bonuses here. The first is the bonus that is in the contract and has been for many many years. The second is the bonus that they just started offering last year and is not in our contracts.

In my opinion, the first will stay as long as we are employed here. The second I feel will not be renewed after their initial period of 5 years. The second one was really put in place as a retention tool not a recruiting tool. Pilots in their first 2 years don't receive that bonus. (or is it 3 years? I'm not sure)

But the point is, if they offer or don't offer it, it's up to you whether you want to be here or not. I feel that a lot (read almost all) of the pilots would quit if they took away the bonus that is in the contract.

Kraus
5th May 2019, 20:40
Or if they take away the commute days as they are trying to do now.

gtseraf
6th May 2019, 01:39

there seems to be a new way of applying the rules, which appear to be negatively impacting the commute right now, resulting in many pilots having to commute back for work a day earlier than they used to.

the new bonus jrmyl is referring to, is only guaranteed for the next 3 years, after that, who knows. Rumours abound that this bonus will not be continued. However, it would be best to wait a while before getting too excited. I certainly am NOT budgeting on the bonus being continued. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

BTW, the numbers leaving have not decreased over the past year or so, so retention appears to be a big problem here still.

jrmyl
6th May 2019, 03:06
This is what is going to sink this place if it happens. Can you imagine the number of pilots who are going to quit if they reduce the amount of days off? It would be catastrophic.

bringbackthe80s
6th May 2019, 07:20
there seems to be a new way of applying the rules, which appear to be negatively impacting the commute right now, resulting in many pilots having to commute back for work a day earlier than they used to.

the new bonus jrmyl is referring to, is only guaranteed for the next 3 years, after that, who knows. Rumours abound that this bonus will not be continued. However, it would be best to wait a while before getting too excited. I certainly am NOT budgeting on the bonus being continued. Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

BTW, the numbers leaving have not decreased over the past year or so, so retention appears to be a big problem here still.

Thing is commuting (this far) is not for everybody, and while some find it ok, most will eventually give up. I’ve seen it at many airlines. Considering the destinations, basings do not make sense, so you either make it a permanent ek-like job, or accept the retention problem. Which in such a small operation is probably the least problematic solution

Absolutely
7th May 2019, 10:44

Don't know where that rumour came from but it's not true. There is no talk of removing the commuting days.

The Dominican
8th May 2019, 08:35
Don't know where that rumour came from but it's not true. There is no talk of removing the commuting days.
They cancelled the Christmas party! They have to pay! LOL

RI830
8th May 2019, 22:44
Can anyone provide some details to the training?
- Where is it completed? Tokyo?
- Why is it so long? 6-8 months
- Says family is allowed to come visit, are tickets positive space in business class or Coach?

Thanks for all the info!

Kein09
9th May 2019, 04:33

Including ANA, Japanese airlines is very traditional companies and those pilots working for airlines are also conservative and narrow minded. They considered themselves elite, usually graduated from prestigious universities to join Cadet program or designated aviation universities to become pilots. Simply they just use school connection to join ANA, JAL and etc. For them it is easy life to make a large amount of money without experience and demand pay raise each year through pilot union. It is just harmful influence for airlines in Japan. Influence of union is very significant which will compromise other’s salary like foreign pilots. When you start to work in Japan, you will also see difficulty dealt with Japanese pilots. Those people are very conservative and they don’t like to see a number of foreign pilots take over their job and making high salary. Working condition of foreign pilot will get worse and worse in Japan. Those who like work abroad should avoid option for working in Japan.

bringbackthe80s
9th May 2019, 07:35
Including ANA, Japanese airlines is very traditional companies and those pilots working for airlines are also conservative and narrow minded. They considered themselves elite, usually graduated from prestigious universities to join Cadet program or designated aviation universities to become pilots. Simply they just use school connection to join ANA, JAL and etc. For them it is easy life to make a large amount of money without experience and demand pay raise each year through pilot union. It is just harmful influence for airlines in Japan. Influence of union is very significant which will compromise other’s salary like foreign pilots. When you start to work in Japan, you will also see difficulty dealt with Japanese pilots. Those people are very conservative and they don’t like to see a number of foreign pilots take over their job and making high salary. Working condition of foreign pilot will get worse and worse in Japan. Those who like work abroad should avoid option for working in Japan.

And, instead, you would be working where?

Fratemate
9th May 2019, 23:09
Don't feed the Kein Troll. I am certainly not going to lie about how good or bad Japan/Japanese pilots etc are but from the way he writes I would put more faith in Kein being some desperate Chinese airline recruiter, who actually knows nothing of working in Japan and is only trying to muddy the waters in the vain hope that we'd be stupid enough to go to China.

gtseraf
10th May 2019, 01:27

In my experience most of the mischief appears to be committed by admin types not pilot types. In fact the local pilots seem to be as affected by this and unable to stand up to these admin types.

Mr.Meerkat
11th May 2019, 22:36
I know this is still quite far in the future (as of this moment, I've passed 4 EASA ATPL exams) but was wondering if anyone could answer these two questions for me as I am curious in working in Japan plus I really like planning into the future (currently, it goes up-to 2025).
1. How is the treatment of Japanese pilots in general?
2. Compared to British (and European, I guess) airlines, how does the prospects of AJX/Japanese airlines in general fare?

Being half Japanese and thus having Japanese permanent residency, family in Japan, being able to speak Japanese conversationally and most importantly, Japan being my home*, there is a real incentive for me to move back, even in the event that prospects aren't as good.

みなさんありがとうございます! (Thanks everyone!)

*Well you could argue Scotland is actually my home. Having lived in Scotland for 3/4 of my whole life, it is a real valid argument.

airnexus
27th May 2019, 14:04
Hi. Anyone is planning to take the interviews in July or know someone who recently did?
I am looking for some information about it.
Thanks in advance

fliion
4th Jun 2019, 17:09
Hi Guys,

Read the thread but maybe I missed it...whats the upper age limit on joining?

cheers

fliion

ktjoseph
6th Jun 2019, 05:59
Hello,

does Air Japan accept CRJ captains/first officers?

galdian
6th Jun 2019, 08:27
All the agencies - parc, longreach, crew, IAC, rishworth et al - have the requirements on their web sites.
Some have the T&C's well outlined, others want you to contact them first so they can try and sign you up/lock you in.

jrmyl
7th Jun 2019, 14:50
Hello,

does Air Japan accept CRJ captains/first officers?
Yes. As has been said, go to the agencies website and the requirements are listed right there. I recommend Crews website as it clearly lists what qualifications they are looking for plus other t&c's.

nuggetpilot
12th Jun 2019, 00:23
Is there a preference on Agencies? Example, I have been told by a EVA pilot that APAS was the best for them. Any knowledge on AJX best?

jrmyl
13th Jun 2019, 04:13
Is there a preference on Agencies? Example, I have been told by a EVA pilot that APAS was the best for them. Any knowledge on AJX best?

Crew is the best.

737Maxlover233
13th Jun 2019, 23:06
Hello guys.

I just finished reading this entire thing. From the AJX/AJV days up until today. I can say that this is certainly the best thread in this website.

I'd like to thank Fratermate, Dom, jrmyl, gtseraf and the others for all the info posted here over the years. I just sent my application through CREW today. Im a bit low on time (I just got to 3000) but Ill give it my best anyhow.

Hopefully Ill meet you guys sometime soon. If that happens, first round is on me.

Cheers.

Quick question: any update on how is the 787/767 thing developing? I mean regarding routes and transitions etc.

PoinDextir
14th Jun 2019, 15:21
Hello guys.

I just finished reading this entire thing. From the AJX/AJV days up until today. I can say that this is certainly the best thread in this website.

I'd like to thank Fratermate, Dom, jrmyl, gtseraf and the others for all the info posted here over the years. I just sent my application through CREW today. Im a bit low on time (I just got to 3000) but Ill give it my best anyhow.

Hopefully Ill meet you guys sometime soon. If that happens, first round is on me.

Cheers.

Quick question: any update on how is the 787/767 thing developing? I mean regarding routes and transitions etc.

You read the entire thread and you’re still going to apply at this hell hole? With judgement like yours you’ll fit in perfectly.

737Maxlover233
14th Jun 2019, 15:35
You read the entire thread and you’re still going to apply at this hell hole? With judgement like yours you’ll fit in perfectly.

​​​​​​Yeah. I mean, right now I fly 90 hours a month on a 737. Half of that is back side of the clock enjoying the Brazilian ATC English, and am making about 25% of what I would make in this gig. Why wouldn't I? Of course if you're American and can get in a mayor in USA or Australian with QF that's better than this, but what's my other option? The Sandpit? Go see that thread and try to motivitate yourself to apply there after it. All aviation jobs are gonna have their negatives. There's no "perfect" job. And for what I need right now, this is by far the best offer in the market.

crj100200
18th Jun 2019, 01:03
Hello everyone!
I just want to know, nowadays, what is the average time to have any response about the results of the screening?
Thank you in advance.

eddiet
29th Jun 2019, 19:40
how is the company when it comes to guys going on long medical leave? eg. surgery. are they generally sympathetic and will wait for you to get back? or will they terminate your contract since you are no longer productive.

gtseraf
5th Jul 2019, 00:00
so far, it appears the company gives the guys maximum opportunity to return, I would say that the majority of those who had long absence due to medical have returned. What obstacles were or were not put in their way, I guess, they will be able to give more info. Thank goodness I have not had to deal with that issue.

Pfly3
7th Jul 2019, 19:04
Sorry guys what is currently the average time for an upgrade there considering you have quite a bit of experience ?
Thanks

J.P.LL
7th Jul 2019, 23:38
I too had “troubles” and with help from the Company Doctor, got back online.

Montcalm
8th Jul 2019, 19:19
Looking at the salary grid... What do they consider "second year". One year from date of hire, or one year after end of training?

Also, in the US, longevity carries over when an FO upgrades. Wondering if the same rule applies over there : If a FO upgrades in his 4th year, will he make 4th year CA pay?Or will he go back to first year pay?

Thanks.

eddiet
9th Jul 2019, 10:22
gtseraf, J.P.LL,

thanks! hopefully someone can provide more info on this. I have a recurring medical issue that needs to be addressed periodically. Just wanna be sure before I make the jump

jrmyl
9th Jul 2019, 13:02
You can expect to start the upgrade process around the 4 year mark regardless of what experience you bring to the company. Once you upgrade you will sign a new contract as a captain. It starts at year 1.

Montcalm
11th Jul 2019, 14:47
You can expect to start the upgrade process around the 4 year mark regardless of what experience you bring to the company. Once you upgrade you will sign a new contract as a captain. It starts at year 1.

So if I understand correctly, a 4 years FO (grossing ~$13k/month) takes a pay cut while in upgrade training (~$10k/month), to end up as a year 1 CA at ~$14.7k/month.

Sounds very lame. What's the point of going through the trouble and responsibilities of an upgrade to make marginally more than a FO?

gtseraf
11th Jul 2019, 21:55
possibly the fact one would be getting widebody command hours to find a better gig elsewhere?

Montcalm
11th Jul 2019, 22:01
Maybe... Where do people typically move on? US legacies, UPS/FedEx?

jrmyl
12th Jul 2019, 07:05
So if I understand correctly, a 4 years FO (grossing ~$13k/month) takes a pay cut while in upgrade training (~$10k/month), to end up as a year 1 CA at ~$14.7k/month.

Sounds very lame. What's the point of going through the trouble and responsibilities of an upgrade to make marginally more than a FO?
No, you do not take a pay cut. While in training you are still making the same pay as you were before training. After your checkride you will sign a captain contract. It is not the same as the new hire captain contract that is posted online. It is called an "Upgraded Captain" contract. It starts at year 1 but again, the pay is not the same year 1 pay that a new hire captain would have. You will NOT take a paycut to upgrade. It isn't much of a bump but it is a bump.

SyncPilot
15th Jul 2019, 21:50
Sorry guys, little off topic, how long after submitting you paper work you can expect a call for an interview or any feedback? I have been waiting for 3 months now and haven't heard anything from Crew ...:ugh::ooh:???

Anybody with recent interview invite? F/O position, 7000h jet time.

Thanks

Matt101
16th Jul 2019, 12:01
So believe I have gotten through all of the posts. From when it was brilliant, then to awful to the standard “it is what it is” atmosphere you seem to have now. I’m still interested despite the rose tinted glasses being knocked off somewhat.

I’m at the ME airline that cannot be named. We can’t even log into PPrune without a you know what running these days. The other pilots are mostly great, the trainers on my fleet are great and it is a generally EASA compliant airline making it run with a certain amount of sense. Good friends, good lifestyle to a degree. But friends are leaving cost of living is increasing and tbh the shine is wearing off the brand new Airbus.

Also the atmosphere sucks and the recent pilot reductions, both those that followed LIFO and the slightly more dubiously titled pilot productivity reductions, have left a bitter taste. But who’s airline isn’t run by idiots these days.

My main interest in AJX comes from the straight time at home, I have an ailing father and the 1 or 2 visits a year need to increase really. Plus at this gig I pay for each flight home save for 1. The idea of 12 blocks of time at home each year really appeals. Especially the J class in and out,

I was a cadet at said airline too so I currently only have a UAE GCAA ATPL (it is ICAO) though I am currently converting to EASA (if you think the JCAB course is long, the process of getting my conversion is both long and costly despite the FTO in the UAE being EASA (previously JAA) approved. But I digress.

I’m 34, single, 5000TT (all but 250 obviously on jets) Current type A380 previously 320(family) 332/3/F & 340. So I meet the requirements both in terms of time and no real object to commute. I’m from the UK but house is near Barcelona,

1. Am I completely mad?

2. I see some other guys have come from the Sandpit and would love their honest opinions given their experience.

3. I’m not personally fussed about the 78 but do you think it’s introduction will eventually lead to roster improvements as the PAX cargo opps essentially split again?

4. See 1.

Matt101
16th Jul 2019, 12:03
As an aside I am also considering head down get EASA done and go home but the 2 airlines I fancy also have their issues around pay and time off. It’s all in the mix as it were.

Montcalm
17th Jul 2019, 14:07
Hey Matt,

Probably not my place to give advice since I don't work at AJX. But here are my two cents : looking at your experience, qualifications and type ratings (and if the European job market is anything like what we see in the US), you could probably find better QOL closer to home.

5000psi
17th Jul 2019, 16:17
Hi,
Long shot I know, but is anyone in NRT on 21st July that I could buy a coffee for and pick their brains about this contract?
PM me if so. Fingers crossed
Thanks!

Matt101
17th Jul 2019, 21:04
Not at all sir, you're far from the first to say the same. Though I have to say I still don't feel that well qualified. Basically I still have that feeling of one last adventure before settling down. It's also fair to say that airlines at home still have their downfalls. Pay is initially not great or I need to "reactivate" an old rating which isn't cheap.

maxconthrust
18th Jul 2019, 10:24
What's the ZED travel like here (e.g spouse/family/nominated, number of tickets)?

Also, if let's say I'm a resident of country A, but would like to commute from Country B to take advantage of lower cost of living, is that an option (for the C ticket).

aviator_88
18th Jul 2019, 13:38
hi guys,

can someone who actually works there send me a pm as I have few questions before attending the interview (lifestyle related)?
It would be great to have some info from inside about lifestyle an commuting part of the job

El Rayo Vagabundo
18th Jul 2019, 18:45
Hi,

Does anyone know the sort of experience new FO's are getting in with ??

What´s actually competitive ?

Thanks.

Chloeamgraham
20th Jul 2019, 02:09
hi I’ve just sent off my application to Ana for the contract and I’m just wondering if anyone knows if they hire females? Im not a raging feminist by any means but just curious as I know some airlines around the world still only have a token few so they can say they do hire them!!!

jrmyl
21st Jul 2019, 01:54
hi I’ve just sent off my application to Ana for the contract and I’m just wondering if anyone knows if they hire females? Im not a raging feminist by any means but just curious as I know some airlines around the world still only have a token few so they can say they do hire them!!!
Yes. Currently 3 on line and 1 in training.

Chloeamgraham
21st Jul 2019, 06:17
Fantastic! thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Mexican123
22nd Jul 2019, 02:28
Hi,

Does anyone know the sort of experience new FO's are getting in with ??

What´s actually competitive ?

Thanks.

I have the same question. Sent my application through CREW a week ago along with a few questions and still no response.
Maybe they have enough applications.

jrwhitehat
23rd Jul 2019, 00:59
Clear your PM folder to allow new messages.

Chloeamgraham
23rd Jul 2019, 19:56
Can anyone recommend an app to use to study the FAA ATP exam? In the App Store there are quite a few. Is Aviation Exam a good one? Or does anyone know roughly what questions they ask? Many thanks in advance

Sunrig
24th Jul 2019, 16:16
Can anyone recommend an app to use to study the FAA ATP exam? In the App Store there are quite a few. Is Aviation Exam a good one? Or does anyone know roughly what questions they ask? Many thanks in advance
Don’t work for AJX, but for the FAA written I would recommend either Dauntless or Sheppard. They seem to be the most common and successful ones. I have used both by the way.

Chloeamgraham
26th Jul 2019, 06:12
Fab! Thanks

Chloeamgraham
26th Jul 2019, 22:57
Also the pay sheet from the contract company is pretty detailed for the ts and cs for fo and capt but the capt doesn’t seem to be on much more than the fo? Am I reading it correctly? Before tax US currency can someone divulge the average captain salary minus bonuses? Many thanks

The Dominican
28th Jul 2019, 04:35
Also the pay sheet from the contract company is pretty detailed for the ts and cs for fo and capt but the capt doesn’t seem to be on much more than the fo? Am I reading it correctly? Before tax US currency can someone divulge the average captain salary minus bonuses? Many thanks

That is correct, the pay for F/O’s here is not that far off that of the captains! The way it should be everywhere if you ask me

gtseraf
28th Jul 2019, 23:29
sorry Dom, have to disagree with you.

The position of Captain involves taking RESPONSIBILITY for the flight (the aeroplane, crew and passengers), any decisions made and, effectively, being responsible for any mishaps/errors which occur. From a legal perspective this opens the individual up to, potentially, large penalties.

Achieving the position of Captain, requires demonstrating a higher standard than that required from the FO standard (REQUIRED). There is a substantial difference to the job requirements of a Captain (PIC) and the FO. There is already enough of a move in the industry to reduce the Captain's position, relevance and status.

Captain pay should reflect this extra burden and should be a LOT more than it is.

The Dominican
29th Jul 2019, 04:35
I didn't say they should be paid the same, I'm just quite comfortable with a pay structure that also reflects the F/O's roll in all of this, is not like they are there to get coffee.

But I agree with you on the fact that the pay should me more than it is, for both positions! I've been vocal about it over the years.

SyncPilot
1st Aug 2019, 12:43
Hi guys,

Maybe I could not find it, is there any more details about the pension plan for non US guys/girls with Crew? Is it good? Any rough figures?
Thanks

Mexican123
2nd Aug 2019, 22:12
I just got this from Crew:

Thank you for your interest in CReW. Unfortunately upon ANA's review of your application, you were not one selected at this time for an interview. We will keep your application on file for 1 year. Should there be any other position you wish to pursue, please feel free to apply through our website at

Again, thank you for your interest in CREW. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Best Regards,
CREW Resources Worldwide - Recruitment

I don't know what went wrong, but I am very sad and disappointed. As far as I know I meet all the requirements for the position but it didn't make it, not even to the interview.

How long do I have to wait to reapply?

El Rayo Vagabundo
3rd Aug 2019, 18:59
I just got this from Crew:

Thank you for your interest in CReW. Unfortunately upon ANA's review of your application, you were not one selected at this time for an interview. We will keep your application on file for 1 year. Should there be any other position you wish to pursue, please feel free to apply through our website at

Again, thank you for your interest in CREW. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Best Regards,
CREW Resources Worldwide - Recruitment

I don't know what went wrong, but I am very sad and disappointed. As far as I know I meet all the requirements for the position but it didn't make it, not even to the interview.

How long do I have to wait to reapply? Sorry,

How many hours have you got and on what AC ?

Chloeamgraham
15th Aug 2019, 22:53
Hi I know it’s looking a long way into the future and I need to pass the assessment first! But I’m just curious what destinations the air japan 787s fly to? Saw one in Sydney yesterday but I was told that all the ANA Dreamliners have air japan on the side of them? Many thanks as always

jrmyl
16th Aug 2019, 02:36
Hi I know it’s looking a long way into the future and I need to pass the assessment first! But I’m just curious what destinations the air japan 787s fly to? Saw one in Sydney yesterday but I was told that all the ANA Dreamliners have air japan on the side of them? Many thanks as always
Destinations are always subject to change. Right now I can think of SIN, BKK, TPE, HKG, DLC, PVG, and SGN.

Yes, all ANA 787's have Air Japan painted on them.

bringbackthe80s
16th Aug 2019, 03:15
I’d be very surprised if Australia was given to AJX!!

jrmyl
16th Aug 2019, 05:21
I’d be very surprised if Australia was given to AJX!!
Latest rumor is AJX is getting the Perth flight after ANA opens it. Long flight, shorter layover for us, makes it advantageous to give it to us. But as always, I'm not holding my breath.

Chloeamgraham
16th Aug 2019, 19:48
fab thanks again

aviator_88
17th Aug 2019, 13:43
Guys what do you think of job security at ANA if there is another major worldwide (2007-08) recession??

The Dominican
19th Aug 2019, 00:29
Guys what do you think of job security at ANA if there is another major worldwide (2007-08) recession??

This is contract work, you are as vulnerable to economic turns as you are from one management type saying “No” on a meeting, even if the rest say yes!
As long as you understand that, you will accept whatever comes your way, but if job security is your goal you might want to concider other options.

gtseraf
20th Aug 2019, 23:45

the contract on offer is a 5 year contract with the option of cancellation with 90 days notice period, so the safest way to look at it, is this is a 3 month contract renewable over a 5 year period.

Having said that, some have been here for 18 years now.

CFI
23rd Aug 2019, 20:27
1. Am I completely mad?

Hi there. Please do not be offended for the gross simplification of your question (as above).

Being completely and utterly mad might actually help.

it might as a matter of fact be of a benefit, taking in account where you come from.

The fact is, after all these 200+ pages of words, you will still have to experience Japan unprepared. Adapt or fall.

Best of luck.

Cindyxx
24th Aug 2019, 23:16
At least you got the reply from them.
I applied in April this year and still haven't heard a word from this company.
:8
When did you apply?

tgo15
11th Sep 2019, 08:49
#63 (https://www.pprune.org/10567163-post63.html) (permalink (https://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/573409-jetstar-japan-4.html#post10567163))
https://www.pprune.org/images/mobile/misc/unknown.gif (https://www.pprune.org/members/487901-tgo15)tgo15 (https://www.pprune.org/members/487901-tgo15) , 11th Sep 2019 16:48
Pilot life in Japan
Hey guys!
finally if everything is set, im ready to move to tokyo earlier next year.
But, i have no idea about living in tokyo. What i know is the company will provide me hotel during the training.. but after that my family will come to live with me.. my question is, which district should i search for house / apartment? i want a direct subway/train access to Narita Airport.. and international school around. And how much it will cost 2-3bedrooms room?
i dont know where else to ask.. im wondering if anyone of you currently living with your family in Tokyo. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Edit (https://www.pprune.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=10567163) Quote (https://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10567163)

The Dominican
11th Sep 2019, 12:00
#63 (https://www.pprune.org/10567163-post63.html) (permalink (https://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/573409-jetstar-japan-4.html#post10567163))
https://www.pprune.org/images/mobile/misc/unknown.gif (https://www.pprune.org/members/487901-tgo15)
tgo15 (https://www.pprune.org/members/487901-tgo15) , 11th Sep 2019 16:48
Pilot life in Japan
Hey guys!
But, i have no idea about living in tokyo. What i know is the company will provide me hotel during the training.. but after that my family will come to live with me.. my question is, which district should i search for house / apartment? i want a direct subway/train access to Narita Airport.. and international school around. And how much it will cost 2-3bedrooms room?
i dont know where else to ask.. im wondering if anyone of you currently living with your family in Tokyo. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Edit (https://www.pprune.org/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=10567163) Quote (https://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=10567163)

Stay in Spain and commute! You will end up not saving any money if you move to Tokyo! Even if you move to let's say Chiba, where you will be about halfway between the center of the city and Narita, It will be a little cheaper than Shinagawa for example, but a LOT more than Narita proper. The idea of taking this job is the flexibility of days off and be able to have some extra cash at the end of each month, if you spend all your salary just living it's simply not worth it to put up with the cultural nonsense you will have to endure daily!

I have an apartment in Narita by myself, and Narita is a lot cheaper than Chiba, and I spend north of 15,000USD a year between rent and utilities! An apartment in the city will be ridiculous money, with your family there with you, you will end up spending it all just living! Not worth it.

Just the transportation costs will be very high, you might think that ¥1,200 each way is not that much but it adds up, just transport from Chiba or Ueno roundtrip could easily add up to north of 180USD per month and that is without the occasional hotel room you will have to get the days that your showtime is too early to commute from the city! Costs just add up, besides there isn't a single pilot that lives in the city that hasn't pulled out the credit card and jumped in a Taxi for X or Y, Mi madre! That is a ¥40,000 taxi ride!

There are several pilots that are married to japanese ladies that I know that have tried it for a few years, out of those the ones that seem to make it work are the ones living in Narita, the rest that moved to the city with families end up moving back to the US or other places they were commuting from originally. A lot to consider.

jrmyl
13th Sep 2019, 02:34
https://www.pprune.org/images/mobile/misc/unknown.gif (https://www.pprune.org/members/487901-tgo15)
tgo15 (https://www.pprune.org/members/487901-tgo15) , 11th Sep 2019 16:48
Pilot life in Japan
Hey guys!

I would also add that you really should wait until you have completed training as there is no guarantee of passing. There have been some great pilots who did not pass. So do yourself a favor and wait until you are checked to the line, then search for housing.

I would also also recommend looking for something closer to Narita due to costs. I’m not sure where any international schools are located though.

Doudou
13th Sep 2019, 09:28
Hello all,

First of all thank you for this very nice thread full of interesting information making it quite attractive.

I have a question, when you "back to back" your off + some Leave instead of making the 16/14, do you still get the 2 comunting days per month or you get only 1 on each side of your off period.

Not sure I am clear, but let's say for Jan-Feb month, you decide to spread your annual leave as 2 days per month, do you get :
- 18 commuting + 19-20 Leave + 21-30 Jan off + 31 Jan Commuting day + 1 Feb Commuting + 2-11 Feb Off + 12-13 Feb Leave + 14 Feb Commuting day
or
- 19 commuting + 20-21 Leave + 22-31 Off + 1-10 Off + 11-12 Leave + 13 Commuting

I know It may sound picky, but that's still 12 days /year difference.

Fratemate
13th Sep 2019, 10:51
This one:

- 18 commuting + 19-20 Leave + 21-30 Jan off + 31 Jan Commuting day + 1 Feb Commuting + 2-11 Feb Off + 12-13 Feb Leave + 14 Feb Commuting day

You get two commuting days per month and you would request it as you have written :)

gtseraf
13th Sep 2019, 22:25
as far as commuting days go, I have heard of cases where, if the pilot takes days off in such a way that they do not work during a calendar month, then they do not get commute days for the month, eg if one takes 5 weeks off over a calendar. Not seen official policy but have heard this happening on the odd occasion.

jrmyl
14th Sep 2019, 01:23
as far as commuting days go, I have heard of cases where, if the pilot takes days off in such a way that they do not work during a calendar month, then they do not get commute days for the month, eg if one takes 5 weeks off over a calendar. Not seen official policy but have heard this happening on the odd occasion.

I have personal experience in this field. As long as you take a single vacation day during that month of all off then you get the two commute days. I spent over 6 months arguing with them 2 years ago about this. Finally they told me that if I would have just put a vacation day in the month of June I could have my commute days. Well, duh!!!! Why didn't you tell me that when I put my days off in? So we retroactively changed a day to vacation. Like pulling teeth with these people sometimes..

Doudou
16th Sep 2019, 08:54
This one:

You get two commuting days per month and you would request it as you have written :)

Thanks a lot,much appreciated

Jocico_de_perro
18th Sep 2019, 14:50
Kinds of engine pratt witney - GE-rolls royce??

jrmyl
18th Sep 2019, 23:35
Kinds of engine pratt witney - GE-rolls royce??
767 has GE engines and the 787 is RR.

Chloeamgraham
20th Sep 2019, 23:17
Obviously every situation is unique but any further info on why some of the guys didn't get through? or was it the usual suspects of not studying enough or making a name for themselves with the trainers.

The Dominican
21st Sep 2019, 00:46
Obviously every situation is unique but any further info on why some of the guys didn't get through? or was it the usual suspects of not studying enough or making a name for themselves with the trainers.
I would love to tell you that was the case, it's a lottery!

Chloeamgraham
21st Sep 2019, 02:46
I would love to tell you that was the case, it's a lottery!
who would want to risk not passing the training if it’s a lottery and leaving a old job and potentially becoming jobless?

The Dominican
21st Sep 2019, 11:15
who would want to risk not passing the training if it’s a lottery and leaving a old job and potentially becoming jobless?
Historically the failure rates here vary from 20% to sometimes spiking at the 40% mark, this is not something new and we have been reporting it here for over a decade! Just go back and read.