PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

The Dominican
8th Aug 2015, 11:50
@Tyrod

I was wondering if some guys with such "low experience" have been selected lately

Apply and see what happens....! They have been hiring F/O's with lower experience levels in the past couple of years so if you are interested then give it a try.

I do not know if that helps, but I have intermediate knowledge when it comes to speak japanese.

I would keep that information to yourself until after you complete training...! Why give them the tools to drill you with additional questions?

Just take advantage of your language abilities after you are already on the line:ok:

Airenn
8th Aug 2015, 12:20
Hi there i was reading this thread, and i saw a few years ago, people were complaining about doing 4 over night flights in a row.

How is the situation roster wise now?

TyRod
8th Aug 2015, 17:50
Thanks for the inputs.

I will give it a shot when I have the minimums next years.

Armani
31st Aug 2015, 04:18
FYI
They just failed another Direct Entry Captain whilst in training, right before his JCAB Line check. This seems to be the trend now at AJX.
For the blokes looking for employment here, read previous posts.
Conditions here are not near as advertised by the contract companies.
As the Japanese will tell you "Please use caution"

Cheers

Fratemate
31st Aug 2015, 10:27
They just failed another Direct Entry Captain whilst in training, right before his JCAB Line check. This seems to be the trend now at AJX.

What, so they should have let him continue even though he wasn't making the grade? The trend hasn't changed as far as I can tell; you're either up to their standard (whatever that may be) or you're not and they'll get rid of you whenever. If anything,the fact that they let him get that far sounds like they gave him a fair crack of the whip.

I'm no RTC, brown-noser or AJX apologist but just because they made it here doesn't mean they're entitled to an automatic pass, nor an assumption that'll be the case.

Conditions here are not near as advertised by the contract companies.

What does that mean?

The Dominican
31st Aug 2015, 12:29
Time to get your Prozac prescription refill....:ok:

DIESELENGINE
31st Aug 2015, 19:41
just failed another Direct Entry Captain whilst in training,

...another one bites the dust :cool:

G-IZMO
5th Sep 2015, 10:07
This is a job I have been interested inf for a couple of years. I have all advertised requirements but keep being told by agencies that Boeing / Airbus experience is required. Is that the case? If is is, why not just say so?

Would also like to know what is not as advertised by the agencies?

EFC_
5th Sep 2015, 11:05
This is a job I have been interested inf for a couple of years. I have all advertised requirements but keep being told by agencies that Boeing / Airbus experience is required. Is that the case? If is is, why not just say so?

Would also like to know what is not as advertised by the agencies?

I can tell you for a fact that Boeing/Airbus time is NOT required for the non-typed FO position.

The Dominican
5th Sep 2015, 11:51
This is a job I have been interested inf for a couple of years. I have all advertised requirements but keep being told by agencies that Boeing / Airbus experience is required. Is that the case?

What agency told you this?

We have many guys that came here from flying regionals, that is just not true:=

galdian
5th Sep 2015, 11:58
Which begs the question:

"What is the name of the agency(s) talking sh*t....or at least more than usual"?? :E

Any takers??:p

kesskidi
5th Sep 2015, 15:11
Apply with crew, they have the NTR ad.

G-IZMO
6th Sep 2015, 07:34
E-mail quote from Rishworth on 4th August this year;

"Thank you for your email.

I am currently recruiting for Air Japan, and yes - Air Japan are looking for applicants with either Airbus or Boeing time on a commerical airline."

I enquired through a second agency but in truth cannot remember the name. The only way I took this was, as a corporate pilot (4000 hours TT, 3500 PIC, 1100 hours > 15T on G200 & E135, 550 hours > 20T on E135) they are viewing this as non-commercial. It is on a UK AOC.

Any advice on how to proceed? I am looking for a way onto a big airliner type, decent pay and commutable life. The ad that Parc are running suggests this is still the job that would fit the bill. I haven't hear back from Parc. Is GPS Crew the suggestion to contact?

What is life like at Air Japan? Thanks for the advice.

Fratemate
6th Sep 2015, 08:17
Don't bother with Rishworth; just use PARC or CREW. If PARC have not contacted you then phone them and ask them why. They are not untouchable and are, at the end of the day, an agency that is meant to be there to help you, so don't be afraid to make them work for you. If they don't respond then don't bother again with them because they don't deserve your custom if they act in that way. You will find CREW more approachable and more active in their dealings with AJX.

The Dominican
6th Sep 2015, 09:38
E-mail quote from Rishworth on 4th August this year;

"Thank you for your email.

I am currently recruiting for Air Japan, and yes - Air Japan are looking for applicants with either Airbus or Boeing time on a commerical airline."

That is just plain nonsense....., listen to Frate and apply with CREW or PARC

Several of the guys in training right now came from the regionals, so don't listen to those clowns:=

G-IZMO
6th Sep 2015, 12:56
How commutable is it (from the UK)?

silverhawk
6th Sep 2015, 14:41
One sector. It's a doddle.

DIESELENGINE
8th Sep 2015, 09:35
did anybody try Longreach Aviation?

Rishworth has some interesting requirement options that aren't given by any other agencies:

-100 hours PIC OR PICUS Cross Country
(when I called CREW, they specifically stated that 100 h PIC x/c can not be substituted with PICUS x/c)

- Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating OR Jet Aircraft Type Rating with a Command Instrument Rating

I personally always considered an instrument rating as a stand alone command rating,
can anybody elaborate on maybe why it wouldn't be?

dave767
13th Sep 2015, 23:21
Hello all,

I'm current & B767 type rated with 1400 hrs on type and thinking of applying with PARC as they seem to be offering a little more money on the contract (if everything advertised is true). Any info on current screening process with interview details etc.

Absolutely
14th Sep 2015, 09:07
If you are a US citizen, your location says you are in the US, you are far better off with CREW,. The health insurance is much better than PARC's.

EFC_
14th Sep 2015, 11:40
Hello all,

I'm current & B767 type rated with 1400 hrs on type and thinking of applying with PARC as they seem to be offering a little more money on the contract (if everything advertised is true). Any info on current screening process with interview details etc.

Hello Dave767,

All of the gouges written here over the previous 2-3 years still hold true, no changes.

dave767
14th Sep 2015, 14:45
How many overnight flights are normally scheduled per month ? Seeing few posts about DECs being terminated during training or before their line check, Is it a regular practice happening to F/Os too ?

Lucky Charms
17th Sep 2015, 08:35
Hello everyone. I am currently applying at Air Japan. I meet and exceed all the requirements for DEC except the JCAB ATP(L). Are they hard core about this or do they consider waivers (even though they advertise they don't)?

Also, if I were to join as an FO, do they do accelerated command upgrades?

Any and all advise is most welcome.

Thanks!

Fratemate
17th Sep 2015, 10:10
I meet and exceed all the requirements for DEC except the JCAB ATP(L). Are they hard core about this or do they consider waivers (even though they advertise they don't)?

The only DECs in recent times have held both a JCAB ATPL and 767 type rating. Read into that what you will but the contract agencies will probably have a better idea of the true state of affairs.

Also, if I were to join as an FO, do they do accelerated command upgrades?

Nope. You wait your turn and then rely on your previous captaincy experience to ensure you pass the assessment and upgrade.

dave767
19th Sep 2015, 20:30
I spoke with the rep from PARC a few days and he said no DECs are being hired anymore.

UNDbadger
19th Sep 2015, 21:38
Hi,

I guess this question is more directed to those who currently work at AJX.

It will take a couple of years to gain the experience required, but I am looking to find out what it is like flying for AJX because it will only take a few years to be competitive with my Airbus Type (supposedly).

- Do you all commute to and from Japan, or are some of you able to live within the country?

- Do you think that AJX and other Japanese carriers will continue to seek expatriate contractors? My Japanese friends are telling me that there is a obvious shortage, but I do not know if that is being resolved.

- I was told by American students of mine (I teach at an Airline Stateside) that if I take a contract as a First Officer, that I will never be a captain, that is a false statement from the ignorant, right?

- I've met Americans who work mainline ANA whilst I was in Japan, but I am assuming they got there during some time, long ago, with impeccable timing. With a perpetual JCAB, does one have the ability to seek employment with other Japanese companies after fulfilling their contract?

I have so many other questions, I would really like to be able to PM individuals who are currently in Japan. I want to learn as much as possible, being able to work and hopefully live in Japan would fulfill a long term dream of mine. Thanks!

The Dominican
20th Sep 2015, 13:54
@UNDBadger.......!

Since you have a couple of years before you meet the minimums, my best advice is to read this thread......!

These questions have been beaten down to a fine pulp here, but most importantly, you will find out information about this particular gig that it is important to know but that you might not think about asking.

I realize the thread is massive but go back a couple of years worth and start from there, then if there is something else you want to know, drop us a line.

sewerpiper
21st Sep 2015, 01:31
Does anyone here know anyone working in Japan that has had LASIK surgery? I got an email from CREW about a year ago, stating there was a new agreement with JCAB and AJX on this, inviting me to reapply.

longago9
21st Sep 2015, 04:17
hey everyone,

I am well over the minimums to apply now, took my jet command type a year ago, been flying in Asia for 4 years, and I've been thinking about applying.

What I'd like to know is if theres enough time to visit the family during the 8 months or so of the initial training. I was told not long ago that you were given 10 days to visit once or twice when you were on training...

However I wonder, is it a total of 10 days divided on two trips or are they 10 days twice..? Maybe the facts differ from this anyway but I'd really appreciate anyone who could share some inside info here

iggle piggle
21st Sep 2015, 05:45
I got 13 days off after 5 months then 10 days off 2 months later at the end of training.

longago9
21st Sep 2015, 13:18
Thanks a lot for your help @iggle piggle,

and a couple more questions guys if you wouldn't mind.

- If you had family how many times during these 8 months could the family visit you, I gather from the thread its around twice, just want to confirm if its actually doable., seems you're pretty busy during your training there..

- Is it possible to extend your stay there nowadays during your work in order to attain a higher leave? for example staying 23 days to take 15+2 of vacation to make it total 17 off?

Thanks!

jrmyl
22nd Sep 2015, 00:14
You can have your family come over as much as you want during training. The company will pay for your spouse to come over twice and kids once. Outside of that it is up to you to pay for them. You really aren't that busy during training. That is why it takes 6 months!!!

After you are online you can do your days off however you want. I usually do two long extended absences each year. Once during the summer and then once during the winter. I use my vacation with those absences and not during each month. This summer I took 48 days off and this winter will have 36 days off. During the rest of the year I will work from 20-25 days between days off. Some think that is too long but I really enjoy the longer periods off. Helps me get a lot of projects done around the house. :ok:

And UNDBadger, whoever told you you would not upgrade here if you come in as an f/o is an idiot. Many, if not most, of our captains have went through the upgrade process here as an f/o.

jaiveerjhala
26th Sep 2015, 18:10
I am currently flying in India with Jet Airways as a F/O on their B777 fleet and have about 500 hours on type. My wife is Japanese and I am therefore interested in moving to Japan provided I get a Job there with equal opportunity and Air Japan seems to be offering that.

jrmyl has posted some useful and encouraging information.

Could people already working there share some information regarding recruitment, training,work culture etc.

thanks

gtseraf
27th Sep 2015, 23:57
it's pretty much been shared already, just have a read through the thread, especially the last couple of years.

Not much has changed

Lucky Charms
1st Oct 2015, 15:37
Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful!:ok:

dogtired
14th Oct 2015, 16:39
I'll be going to Gatwick soon for interview and sim. Can anyone give me a headsup as what to expect.
You can PM me if you want. Possibly the briefing that PARC sent.
Thanks

koubri
18th Oct 2015, 17:22
Hello everyone.
After a very very long application process I am very happy to say that i will be in the January class :-)
Thanks for all of you who took time to share infos about the screening and hope to see many of you there for a beer.
I was wondering if someone could give some info on the accomodation during the training when your family come to visit. I know AJX will pay ticket and accomodation for my wife to visit for a week. I understood it is better if she comes at the beginning of the training while it is not too busy and in any case before the sim sessions starts. I would like to have her longer than a week if that’s possible. So is it possible for her to stay with me in the company accomodation if she’s here for more than a week ? Is it something like a one bedroom apartment or is it something very small like a hotel room ? How do you guys usually do ?

Otherwise for thoose going for the screening, the gauges here in this forum are very acurate. Make sure you study the sim briefing pack very well. The whole process is extremely long but in my opinion it defenitely worths the patience.

brhmky
18th Oct 2015, 20:27
Congrats koubri , I am happy that u made it. :D
Can you give some details about the length of your process? I am planning to apply in december so I would be nice to know what has changed lately and what is expecting the guys who is about to apply.. Also It would be nice hear the interview process from someone who attended lately.
Thanks

dave767
18th Oct 2015, 20:47
Congrats koubri, what agency did you use to apply ?

B767ER
23rd Oct 2015, 14:41
I'll be going to Gatwick soon for interview and sim. Can anyone give me a headsup as what to expect.
You can PM me if you want. Possibly the briefing that PARC sent.
Thanks

Same here!! Anyone have been to LGW for Pre-screening??...
Feedback anyone??
Thank you!!!

brhmky
24th Oct 2015, 21:08
One think I would like to learn in detail

We know that there is a failure rate during command assessments. After 3 years do they do this assessment and a year later they start the upgrade process or they start the upgrade process just after the assessment ? What is the failure rate nowadays ? And what happens if you fail the assessment somehow, they give you another chance or they dont renew your contract for the second time or they renew your contract as a first officer next time ?

Thanks

gtseraf
25th Oct 2015, 00:13
I find it very interesting that there are so many questions about the upgrade process from prospective new hire F/O's, yet they are not asking many questions about the F/O conditions etc.

In my time here, the company has consistently upgraded F/o's to Captain. BUT the initial contract was for F/O not potential upgrade Cap. I believe there is no reference in the F/O contract to any upgrade process.

There seems to be some expectation that the upgrade process will start 3 years after joining. At present there appears to be a plan for 16 upgrade slots a year. The company, seems to be targeting 48 new hire F/Os per year. Doing the math, it would seem that the upgrade time may take longer than that. Add into the mix the probability of some F/O's being given their second go at assessments.

Recently, the failure rate in assessments has been quite high, around 50%, historically it has not been this high. In the past, if one failed the assessment, then one went through the assessments again 1 year later. I believe the company applies the same concept as Mainline ANA, 2 attempts at command (assessment or actual upgrade course) and that's it but have not seen that as written policy.

We have had cases of contract being renewed for some F/O's and not renewed for others, so it depends on the Company's opinion at the time of renewal.

I am getting a sense that some are looking at this gig with the attitude of "if I show up and stay 3 years I deserve a command"

AJX operation is not rocket science but it has it's unique challenges and I reckon that, depending on an individual's previous experience or ability, it may take longer than 3 years to be ready for the move to the left seat.

By all means, look at AJX as an option where it is possible to upgrade to Cap, that would be normal for any pilot, but please come here with the focus on doing the F/O gig for a while, learning from the old farts in the left seat ( we may be old and grey but we actually do know a thing or two about this aviation thing) and EARNING the opportunity to move to the left hand seat.

Good luck with it all.

767 Autopilot
25th Oct 2015, 00:30
gtseraf is absolutely right in his response and I will add what I responded to the same question on APC forum today:

The Command evaluation process has changed recently, but as far as I understand when your number is up (right now about 3-4 years in company) you will get evaluated. 4 times a year a small group of 4-7.
I think that there is a sim now ( a LOFT, I think) and you fly 5 or 6 regular trips in 2 months with an Japanese instructor/checker and they ask you questions and look at your flying and management skills. After all in the group have completed the evaluation, management have a meeting and they decide who will go forward and who fails.
If you pass, upgrade sim training starts within 2 weeks, if you fail, it depends. Some have been evaluated again in 6 months, some in 2 years. It goes case by case.
As far as the fail rates go, it used to be about 1 or 2 failures a year for 16 candidates. Recently looks like 50% failure on evaluations.
There are many reasons for this: :ugh: ( I know I will get comments about this, but...)
some are not mentally ready for it, some lack the knowledge (not enough study), some don't have the right attitude, and some just need more experience. I had a conversation about this recently with a checker who was involved with the process and that is what he told me, adding that some will never upgrade.
It is not an automatic thing or an entitlement here, you must put in the book work, show the right attitude and eat the **** for a while. Once you are all done, its a great job, they leave you alone, but the whole progress to get there truly sucks
Hope that helps

brhmky
25th Oct 2015, 16:29
Gtseraf

Thanks for your answer. You are right everybody is first asking about the Command upgrade because in my opinion it is the most important step in this career. On my side I have a really good gig right now so I want to know everything before I take this risk so I can make a solid decision.

But speaking of the FOs conditions of course everybody would like to know about them too and If you wanna give some information about it, it will be appreciated I am sure.

767 Autopilot

Thanks for your answer too. Do you know when they will fly 5,6 regular trips to evaluate you or they just do it without u realizing it ? And do u know what kind of questions they ask ? Aircraft systems, jeppsen or different scenarios to evaluate your ADM ?

And everybody talks about the right attitude, we know what a bad attitude is but the right attitude changes according to the culture. So can you mention about this right attitude and the **** eating a bit.

767 Autopilot
29th Oct 2015, 03:22
Yes, you know when you are being evaluated. You have a meeting with management where you go thru some training manual pages about the program and expectations. As far as the questions go, mostly Operations manual and different country regs. from Jeppesen manual and other book stuff. Depends on evaluator, some don't ask anything.

Attitude is something that you can not always change. It is not bad vs. good, but about respecting the local way, understanding your position and adapting your behavior to fit in. Some people get it, some just don't. You must remember that we are always outsiders, "cheap labor" (some-one said "we are their Mexicans") temporary help. In their mind we are not equal to the host. There are many other things I could say, but it will not make a difference. This job is not for every one, either you fit in, or you don't.

brhmky
29th Oct 2015, 18:52
767 Autopilot

Very well explained. Thank you :D

THUNDERBIRD320
16th Nov 2015, 09:34
Hi Guys,

I would appreciate it if anyone had any info about what the recruitment process is for a non 767 rated Captain with a JCAB ATPL with Air Japan, in particular what kind of simulator evaluation? And also any idea of length of training, of course its Japan Im sure it will be long, but hopefully not so long as I have the JCAB licence already. :O

Kind regards

Thunderbird320

jrmyl
17th Nov 2015, 01:13
thunderbird, if you haven't read any of this thread yet, I suggest you do that and then come back and ask questions. Everything has been covered pretty well and not much has changed in several years. Good luck. :ok:

The Dominican
17th Nov 2015, 05:54
In addition to what jrmyl wrote....., the difference between a JCAB licensed pilot and a non-JCAB is about a month or so....., but! the chances that you will be paired with another JCAB rated pilot are about as good as ISIS changing their ways because you put a French flag on your FB profile...., sooooo, you are on your non rated partner's training schedule.

Fratemate
17th Nov 2015, 08:50
As TD says, it's a matter of getting lucky and getting paired up with someone who has the same qualifications as you.

IF you get a JCAB ATPL partner then you will save about six weeks of training. You will not have to do the first two weeks, which are the air law and radio classes and exams. Having avoided those you will join your classmates for the 767 type rating course. So you'll have about four months of ground school, FBS and FMS sims, culminating in your 767 type rating check ride. You'll then miss out on the next month of 'training', during which the rest of the class will do the additional sims ready for their ATPL check. After that you will do the two weeks of airport briefings, followed by your OJT (line training). Whether you are able to 'jump ahead' of the rest of the class and do the airport stuff and OJT is just a matter of guesswork. You may do that or you may have to wait a month while they catch up with. It's unlikely if the others are FOs and you're capts but never say never here :ok:

If your partner does not have the JCAB ATPL then you'll still avoid the air law and radio but you'll be stuck as his 'sim buddy' for his ATPL 'training', so you'll save a whole two weeks :hmm:

dogtired
15th Dec 2015, 03:14
I read that effective 28 april 2016 the Haneda Honolulu service will be done by the B787-8

gtseraf
15th Dec 2015, 03:23
the HND - HNL operation on the B767 is now done by mainline ANA crew. AJX only operate the 2 HNL flights out of NRT.

Apparently there are plans to convert more 767 pax a/c to BCF, so it would appear the 767 operation for AJX may be around for a looong time yet. Not sure we'll be seeing any shiny new jets soon. But, who knows?

Capt Coco
16th Dec 2015, 20:32
Hi Dogitred,

Yes ANA have just announced that they will operate the 787 on the HND-HNL from April next year. I have been told it may be a mix of -8 and -9 when more planes arrive.

It makes no real difference for AJX operations as ANA mainline guys have been doing that flight for the last few months with a mixture of 767 and 777 anyway.

As more 787 arrive every month, more and more flights will be taken over by the 787......everything now depends on timing.

What flights stay with the 767 and what flights go to the 787 are anyones guess....it is going to be a very interesting year or 2 for AJX operations......as the 767 international PAX flying slowly reduces. Trust me many people have opinions and ideas....but no one really knows.

The Dominican
17th Dec 2015, 22:36
What flights stay with the 767 and what flights go to the 787 are anyones guess....it is going to be a very interesting year or 2 for AJX operations......as the 767 international PAX flying slowly reduces. Trust me many people have opinions and ideas....but no one really knows.

Interesting as in we are going to go to some cities in China that half of the Chinese people haven't even heard of before? Then yes...., it will be an interesting couple of years!:ok:

Happy 2016 people....

22nd Dec 2015, 07:02
Hi guys,

Anyone currently in AJ on this contract who reside in Germany? Would really appreciate any info regarding tax etc.

Thanks for any info, great thread guys!

oldhasbeen
25th Dec 2015, 22:19
some random post from a melbourne based german asking about tax??? good luck with that

B-757
26th Dec 2015, 03:59
..22k, take some time to read the international tax agreement between your country, and the country where you want to work at..should give you more info about where you will pay your taxes, if any..

27th Dec 2015, 09:44
Australian with a German wife to be to be precise. Looking for a way to get the mrs back to the fatherland (with myself in tow of course).

It (the tax) gets a bit confusing given my nationality and the planned domicile but in the end I think it just depends on where one lives, hence why I was wondering about any Germans in particular that may be there.

Seeing a tax guy in Germany soon to answer the German q's but I'd be grateful to hear any specifics if there's any Germans or similar around.

27th Dec 2015, 09:45
PS 757,

Cheers mate, wilco.

The Dominican
27th Dec 2015, 10:12
@22K

You came to the wrong place for tax advice...., mostly because some pilots have the delusional believe that they are smarter than most people, specially people that work at a tax office...., so you get folks getting hit with close to half a million Aussie dollars bill between tax and penalties.

The funny thing is that others that see this situation, still think the tax people are stupid and what happened to the other guy will not happen to them..., because of course, I'm smarter than that other fool and some idiot working at a cubicle.

Go find one of those "work at a cubicle" types to answer your questions about taxes, as it turns out, they are actually pretty smart about that sort of thing.

Who knew?

galdian
27th Dec 2015, 12:04

In no way being smartarse but your position is somewhat convoluted in a number of ways, only suggestion is it's well worth to go to two international accountant businesses and pay their fees out of your own pocket - then compare their advice...and proceed as you see fit.

Make sure you have thought about problems you perceive and ask questions - get your $500 plus worth out of your first consultation from each.

Dom's 100% correct IMHO, some believe they don't have to pay tax anywhere in the world, has been disproved over last few years as at least a couple of OZ have been caught up for, at least, discussions with tax authorities.

Also bear in mind that the AirJapan deal is the ONLY contract in Japan that doesn't pay tax, never has, probably never will: to be corrected but I believe all other potentials (Vanilla, Peach, Jetstar Japan, skymark? etc) pay japanese tax after the event - Japan is a dual tax country for a hell of a lot of countries so paid in japan generally covers most other countries...other than the USA so I hear...but WTF would I know??

Best of luck with your endeavour's. :ok:

27th Dec 2015, 15:00
Yes gents all valid points and by no means was I after any kind of detailed tax advice, after all, we are pilots and not tax specialists as The Dom points out.

I am however, welcoming any advice, experience or even tales from any euro based crew doing their thing there (such as references to relevant tax documents, any accounts familiar with this contract and the like). Just trying to gather as much info as I can gents (as I previously wrote, I'm seeing a tax accountant here in Germany who's familiar with such affairs), this doesn't mean I'll be stuffing all of my cash in a mattress because someone on a forum said its cool, I'm just doing what we all do (hopefully very well too), gather, assess, then decide :ok:

Dom, Fr8mate and the like, cheers to you guys, maybe, just maybe if I can get through the process without screwing up, I'd like to get in what is probably a long line to shout you a beer

Cheers guys....

B-757
28th Dec 2015, 23:56
..Dom, I beg to differ Sir..

I think this site has been very good for sharing information..Most pilots know exactly, what their tax situation and responsibilities are..They indeed have hired professional help, done things right in order to avoid any trouble with the Tax Man..On the other hand, there are some, just like you said, that are trying to circumnavigate the system, and not paying there taxes right..The bottom line is, that for work performed overseas, some countries will tax you, some will not..It all depends on the local tax rules..

..Fly safe..

The Dominican
29th Dec 2015, 21:26
..Dom, I beg to differ Sir..

I think this site has been very good for sharing information..Most pilots know exactly, what their tax situation and responsibilities are..

That is the funniest thing I have read in this site in a long time.

Kraus
3rd Jan 2016, 04:16
Japanese airline industry: ANA to buy Airbus A380 jumbo jets, boost Hawaii service- Nikkei Asian Review (http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/ANA-to-buy-Airbus-A380-jumbo-jets-boost-Hawaii-service)

Now that will really be a long wait in PHNL immigration!

The Dominican
3rd Jan 2016, 10:22
For whoever ends up flying there...., not for us:D

Half-Pint
9th Jan 2016, 14:42
Hi

I have a question regarding the accommodation arrangements once training has been completed. An amount of $550 is provided by one of the agencies to cover accommodation at the operations base.

What kind of accommodation do commuting pilots usually take out, and is the allowance generally sufficient for it?

I do apologize if the topic has been covered in the preceding 117 pages, but if anyone can provided me with some current information, I would be appreciative.

Sincerely...

jrmyl
9th Jan 2016, 17:19
I don't know the numbers but there are many that have apartments in NRT and many that stay at the hotel. The allowance used to be sufficient but that is not going to be the case any more come April 1. The price for the hotel will be going up at that point with no increase in the allowance. Apparently they feel that because the dollar/yen exchange rate is so good right now that we don't need an increase. := The current hotel price is 5,940 yen and will be increasing to 7,000 yen. I have been averaging just over 9 nights/month in NRT. At the current price the allowance is sufficient. At the new price it will not.

FooFighter
11th Jan 2016, 09:28
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find it going over the previous pages. Would appreciate it if someone could help me with this as Im seriously considering to change jobs.

I have seen 5 sample rosters from Parc and to be honest they looked Not bad compared to what I have Now. Im currently flying the 757/767 for a big freight/logistics company so that is why probably. Im not sure if the rosters are current ones and that in reality they're different.

I would take a paycut for this job and get less days off. Not an awful lot but still. I just feel like it is time for something new in my career and have a bit enough of flying 90% at night around Europe. 60-70% would already be an improvement for me. One of my main concerns would be the rosters and lifestyle.

- The rosters did not show many min rest stops. Is this correct?
- How stable is the roster once it is published? Will you have lots of roster changes so making it hard to plan your rest and sleep?
- is the quality in the hotels in general quite good to have a proper sleep?
- Intially The plan is that I would commute back to AMS. Anyone doing this commute at the moment? With zed/id tickets would you keep some money in your pocket from the $2k allowance?
- Any guys commuting on their block of days off in Asia? Like Thailand for instance? Should make the job more easy I guess regarding Jetlag?
- Is it possible to get a good impression from Japan and the company just during those screening days in Tokyo or is it better to go there for a weeks leave maybe? Im an easy person and lived in the Middle East for some years before and look forward to experiencing a new culture. Just that I hear some mixed experiences about Japan.
- Parc mentioned that guys are upgrading at the moment around year 3 of their contract. Bit too positive?
- Is the command process fair or a grilling? Can you compare it to European carriers?

Thanks very much. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me with this. Any private messages are welcome as well.
Best regards

Fratemate
12th Jan 2016, 01:38
- The rosters did not show many min rest stops. Is this correct? We have two destinations (HKG & TPE) where the passenger flights have, what they call, 'hotel rest'. This means you get about 10 hours and then fly back to NRT. All of our other destinations have 24 hours or more. Sometimes you will have a 'blank day' downroute (normally on a Monday when you're on a cargo trip) and this means you'll be in a particular place for 48 hours+. Great if it's BKK but sucks if it's in China :)
- How stable is the roster once it is published? Will you have lots of roster changes so making it hard to plan your rest and sleep? The rosters are really quite stable. Of course, as in any airline, if people go sick etc then sometimes they have to swap rosters around but they normally give you a fair bit of notice. I haven't had any schedule changes for the last three months. I did have one for the end of January but they let me know about that at the end of December, so I think I can probably sort out my rest with that notice period :ok:So, no, you will not have lots of roster changes.
- is the quality in the hotels in general quite good to have a proper sleep? We've had a few lacklustre hotels in China (PVG in particular) but, as I type, the hotels we have are all pretty good, with some better than others. The Japanese hotels tend to be the small, 'business'-type rooms but if you don't plan on practicing your ribbon dancing then you should be okay
- Intially The plan is that I would commute back to AMS. Anyone doing this commute at the moment? With zed/id tickets would you keep some money in your pocket from the $2k allowance? Plenty of European commuters but none, that I can think of, that commute to AMS. ANA don't fly to AMS, so if you were to use them for ZED travel then you'd obviously have to get another flight from LON/FRA/MUC/DUS/CDG but we do have a ZED agreement with KLM. Yes, you would save money if you took the allowance.
- Any guys commuting on their block of days off in Asia? Like Thailand for instance? Should make the job more easy I guess regarding Jetlag? Yes. Some guys live there and other guys visit. I don't think jet lag is a problem for BKK/SGN :}
- Is it possible to get a good impression from Japan and the company just during those screening days in Tokyo or is it better to go there for a weeks leave maybe? Im an easy person and lived in the Middle East for some years before and look forward to experiencing a new culture. Just that I hear some mixed experiences about Japan.There's normally no rush to get to and from Japan for the screening because it doesn't cost the agency any more if you choose to stay for a few days and pay for your own hotel. You won't get a chance to look at any of Japan if you just stay for the screening and your impression of the area in which you stay will not be the best that is on offer. If you really want to have a look around then arrange with the agency to fly out early or back later and stay around for a few days. Come up to NRT, stay in the Excel hotel and ask all the questions you know won't be answered by the agency.
- Parc mentioned that guys are upgrading at the moment around year 3 of their contract. Bit too positive? They are still assessing people around that timeframe and upgrading around half. Who knows what will happen next week but Parc are telling the truth at the moment.
- Is the command process fair or a grilling? Can you compare it to European carriers? It's mostly about theoretical and 'book' knowledge, so you just have to immerse yourself in the manuals and learn the absolutely useless trivia that you will never use in line operations but the Japanese consider so important to being a 'strong' pilot. They have no imagination nor the initiative to be able to 'wing it' when required, so they rely on learning everything, parrot fashion, from the books and you'll be expected to do the same. Do that, keep your head down until that point and you'll be okay. Cause the Company any grief with passports, getting into fights, upsetting the office girls etc, then expect to find a 'not suitable' on your first assessment (at least). Don't know how it compares to European upgrades but it is more a matter of learning the trivia, rather than just knowing which books to look in to find it.....which is the norm in most other places.

FooFighter
12th Jan 2016, 17:19
Thanks very much for that Fratemate! That is great info, appreciate it!

Just one more question: Do you guys keep your Easa/FAA licence/ratings valid? if so how?

Cheers

Fratemate
13th Jan 2016, 06:44
I haven't put the 767 on my FAA licence, so I certainly don't bother with that one. I don't have an EASA licence but those that do don't seem too worried about it. Since the licence is perpetual there's no need to keep the type rating valid unless you're going for a European job where they require a current type rating. If that's the case then just do an LPC/LST (as required) and then it's all current again. Pointless doing an LPC every year if you're not going to use or don't need it to keep your licence valid. Oz is so screwed up at the moment with the new Part 61 licences that nobody seems to know what is required, so I just keep mine current with a 'normal' biennial check and we'll see what happens once the dust has settled :hmm:

FooFighter
13th Jan 2016, 17:52
Thanks very much again Fratemate! Much appreciated!

Half-Pint
14th Jan 2016, 13:53
Thanks for the last few posts- quite informative.

I am interested to see what a typical roster looks like- could anyone share theirs?

PM is fine, and if you have any other info regarding this contract you'd like to share I would like to hear it.

Regards...

jestewart12
14th Jan 2016, 23:59
Hello all-
This is my first post on these forums...this thread in particular has been a great wealth of information regarding ANA. I just received an interview date in Tokyo in late February. I was wondering if anyone can recommend a sim prep company/ program in the USA so that I can get some 767 time before the assessment. I am a regional guy in the states with zero Boeing time. I thought I may have read somewhere that there was a particular sim company in Miami that could prepare candidates specifically for ANA but I can't remember for sure. Thanks!

FMGEC
21st Jan 2016, 15:12
Hi All

Just finished all 117 pages and I wanted to really thank all of the contributors who've given of their time and energy. It's a true magnus opus
This has to be one of the best threads on Pprune and is a wealth of information.

Reepicheep
21st Jan 2016, 16:33
Anyone there making a go at living in Japan full-time?
Previously it sounded pretty difficult to do wondering if anything's changed in this regard?

dogtired
23rd Jan 2016, 09:36
After landing, who gives the "speedbrake open" call?

The Dominican
23rd Jan 2016, 10:13
After landing, who gives the "speedbrake open" call?

The PM, but the call is "Speedbrake Up" also after reverser deployment (the REV indication on EICAS goes from yellow to green)...., the PM calls "Reverse Normal" :ok:

Get the SOP calls in there......, it goes a long way!

AlphaEcho86
27th Jan 2016, 00:29
Hi,

I appreciate very much the information provided, It´s been very helpful indeed.

I am Spanish but of Asian descent (adopted) with Spanish citizenship and EASA licence. Would my ethnicity be an issue during the screening proccess? Are there currently non-Japanese Asians flying in the company?

Regards

The Dominican
27th Jan 2016, 20:37
Would my ethnicity be an issue during the screening proccess?

No....!

Are there currently non-Japanese Asians flying in the company?

Yes.....!

AlphaEcho86
30th Jan 2016, 11:49
Would my ethnicity be an issue during the screening proccess?

No....!

Are there currently non-Japanese Asians flying in the company?

Yes.....!

Thank you very much, Also I got the chance of learning Japanese during college Should I remark it during the interview?

The Dominican
5th Feb 2016, 01:56
Thank you very much, Also I got the chance of learning Japanese during college Should I remark it during the interview?

That's a tricky one....! If your Japanese is really good, this might actually work against you, Why? You might actually open yourself to a battery of questions that they might not ask due to language constraints.

The same when you get the job, training will be with questions in Japanese all the time and they love to find that obscure information hiden withing the plethora of useless manuals we have:ugh:

Do what you feel is right when you are sitting across the tribal elders..., but it is how you come across and the sim eval that will get you this job, I don't think that knowing some Japanese will put you ahead of the pack, if anything it will place you in another cultural dimension in which the normal laws of space/time continuum don't apply. :=

gtseraf
5th Feb 2016, 02:18
I'd think it would be better not to let on you have any Japanese language skills. The entire operation is supposed to be conducted in English and is catered for in English. There is no requirement to speak Japanese and may actually, as Dom said, be used to your detriment.

JimboJumbo747
6th Feb 2016, 05:38
So a little Bird has told me that the the 787 has been confirmed to be coming to AJX.

Is this true? :ok::ok::ok::ok:

Fratemate
6th Feb 2016, 09:13
A mate told me......:)

gtseraf
6th Feb 2016, 11:30
what......?

The Dominican
6th Feb 2016, 14:58
That folks are making a line at the koolaid stand:rolleyes:

gtseraf
7th Feb 2016, 00:18
the 767F is still very much in the picture for the foreseeable future, as well.

The Dominican
7th Feb 2016, 15:21
the 767F is still very much in the picture for the foreseeable future, as well.

10 years minimum...., If we can just get the Koolaid drinkers to understand this isn't about airplanes but rather about T&C'S.....!

ryanb5005
12th Feb 2016, 01:58
In regards to commuting, will Air Japan allow you to take the $2,000 some months and a ticket other months? If you take the ticket, do you have to go to your actual home city or can you go to a different city each month? I'm single and would like to sometimes stay in Japan, and other times travel to different cities.

gtseraf
12th Feb 2016, 02:05
You may take the $2000 or C class ticket, at your discretion. When you join, you nominate your home city for commuting, I believe you are able to nominate a 2nd one but may be asked to prove residence/interest there, eg. a lease or utility bill. The company will not buy a ticket for you to visit different cities every month.

ryanb5005
12th Feb 2016, 02:15
Thanks for the info.

Say I have parents and extended family in Boston, but rent an apartment in Bangkok. Would that satisfy the 2nd city requirement?

gtseraf
12th Feb 2016, 02:18
Probably best to ask the company when you have the job . I am not sure what the written policy is and they'd be the best people to ask. I guess an e-mail to the recruiting company would also be an idea, if this will be a deal breaker. They should know the policy

The Dominican
12th Feb 2016, 05:33
Thanks for the info.

Say I have parents and extended family in Boston, but rent an apartment in Bangkok. Would that satisfy the 2nd city requirement?

As long as you present a lease, bills or any paperwork that proves you will be traveling there with some regularity they will accept it as a second destination for C class....

Now, the question is why would you do that? The months that you head down to BKK just bank the 2G's and use ZED tickets to get there, there are several flights a day and no jet lag issues to speak off, it's a roundabout 6 hour flight. Besides, most airlines that fly there make it with a configuration that is not lay flat so you won't be much more comfortable than in coach..., not $2,000 worth of comfort anyways :ok:

harrison05
12th Feb 2016, 11:46
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of you to share your experience in Air Japan.
Im going to apply and I dont know who the best recruiter is.
Some posts ago, someone asked about the same question but it was not answered enough. PARC gives around 1000~$ more a month apparently,maybe it´s because the insurance or other things are not so great like Crew offers...Or maybe it´s the same..Dont know...
Anybody to answer..?

Thanks my friends!

Fratemate
13th Feb 2016, 01:22
Best agency is CREW and, no, PARC don't pay $1000 more. I expect the number you're looking at is the salary without the pension (sort of)/savings plan money deducted, whereas the CREW numbers include the 401K. The basic wage is the same, the increments, the experience pay, the accommodation and the per diem. The differences are (1)the medical cover (2)loss of licence and (3)the support.

The CREW medical cover is VASTLY superior to PARC. CREW covers your whole family and with none of the stupid excess payments that PARC has. PARC use BUPA which you would think would be okay but there are plenty of issues in certain countries, including Australia, where a good number of their employees come from. If you want to cover your family with PARC then it is very expensive and really not worth it.

PARC provide LOL, whereas CREW do not. However, CREW now offer an option to purchase LOL and it is a good deal. You are far better off going with CREW and purchasing their LOL. The money you would save over purchasing medical cover for a family would be significant.

None of the agencies is ever going to provide the support you really want because they don't want to get in the bad books of the contracting company and risk losing the deal. However, the PARC guy has got no balls and it showed recently when our scheduling committee guys were looking for support over fatigue issues. CREW were absolute in their commitment to their pilots and sent out a clear, unambiguous email, saying that they would be looked after if they were too fatigued to fly. PARC were asked for the same commitment but decided that people might 'take advantage' and so, once again, did absolutely nothing.

Both agencies seem to pay on time and I haven't heard of any issues like those experienced by some of the Chinese airline agencies.

Once I would have recommended PARC for European and Australian pilots and CREW for the US. Nowadays I would only recommend CREW.....until PARC get their act together and sort out their health cover and support. Seeing as they're getting the same money from AJX per pilot, PARC must be coining it in with the savings they're making on health cover premiums :hmm:

Kraus
13th Feb 2016, 04:04
Fratemate is not the lone voice, without repeating every word expressed, I fully concur. I'm a longer term crew member and I've seen all of the comings and goings, CReW is the best option.

galdian
13th Feb 2016, 07:45
No comments regards IAC, Rishworth, Longreach?

Just wondering.

harrison05
13th Feb 2016, 08:12
First of all thank you Fratemate and Kraus.
Do you know how is the radiation affecting to all the population? :confused:
I read these reports and I would like to know how long crew has to pass in Japan every month more or less.
Thank you on advance.Here you have the reports :oh:

A Tokyo doctor who has moved to western Japan urges fellow doctors to promote radiation protection: A message from Dr. Mita to his colleagues in Kodaira, Tokyo - World Network For Saving Children From Radiation (http://www.save-children-from-radiation.org/2014/07/16/a-tokyo-doctor-who-has-moved-to-western-japan-urges-fellow-doctors-to-promote-radiation-protection-a-message-from-dr-mita-to-his-colleagues-in-kodaira-city-t/)

Japan Radiation Risks: FAQ (http://www.webmd.com/cancer/features/japan-nuclear-plant-radiation-risks-faq)

Fratemate
13th Feb 2016, 08:34
I think about three pilots and the office cat are contracted to IAC. I haven't heard anything good or bad about them, so I can't comment on their medical coverage etc. From speaking to the guys concerned, I think most of them have never heard from their representative, so hardly glowing recommendations of support. I get the impression that they plod along and everything is average.

Rishworth....well we all know that you can't avoid them enough. However, it would appear they are just a conduit to CREW and having introduced the pilots they disappear. I suppose they must get a finder's fee from CREW and that's it. I have never heard of anyone who is actually under contract to Rishworth at AJX, although I'm more than happy to be corrected and would be surprised that any pilot would be that mad.

Longreach seem to be pretty good for the Qantas guys who are on long term leave without pay but, again, I don't know of anyone else who is contracted to them. With the Qantas people getting their recall notices and nobody else being given LWOP I suppose the Longreach supply will dry up a bit and it will be just those who decide to stay, rather than return to the Mothership.

So, yes, there are other minor players in the game but realistically it's a choice between CREW and PARC and I've already made my feelings known on that score.

galdian
13th Feb 2016, 09:49
OK crystal ball - all the "advice" is that AirJapan plan to primarily fill Commands through upgrade (as they should if they can), could the LWOP QF guys stuff that to some greater or lesser degree??

Whilst everyone's different I would suggest most would look at returning to QF, always been a "boom or bust" situation in Oz and would appear some sort of "boom" is about to happen after many years of going backwards in QF.

Cheers.

The Dominican
13th Feb 2016, 13:34
Whilst everyone's different I would suggest most would look at returning to QF, always been a "boom or bust" situation in Oz and would appear some sort of "boom" is about to happen after many years of going backwards in QF.

Zup Galdian......! Most of the guys that are on leave from QF are looking at going back, they will have to, their leave is not like a furlough from a US carrier that you can bypass, at some point they will confront the "come back or else"

Do you know how is the radiation affecting to all the population?

Oh please......! Radiation levels only spiked over the normal background radiation levels a little after the explosions of the reactors, after that it's been constantly bellow normal background radiation levels.

Do you know how much radiation you are exposed to when you fly? Us pilots are exposed to 10 times more radiation than the sailors working on nuclear submarines..... If you are so concerned about radiation don't ever climb above 5,000 feet...., ever:rolleyes:

harrison05
13th Feb 2016, 15:40
Dominican, just read the reports that I´ve attached before. It´s not a little radiation :ugh:..We are speaking about levels at least so high like in Chernobyl :eek:. 40% of children in Tokyo are developing thyroids Cancer. The government :cool: are hiding it but some doctors alert about the consequences. ALL is contaminated: vegetables, fruit, water, etc :bored:
I think it´s a serious situation. Just read about it
Have a safe flight

The Dominican
13th Feb 2016, 16:28
40%of the children in Tokyo are developing thyroid cancer...., just listen to yourself........!

One thing is the tabloid style media and another are the data from the scientist.

Do us all a favor....., Don't apply, we are all glowing in the dark and dying horrible deaths from having to read such stupidity:ugh:

At the current birth rate (and it is at historic lows) you are talking about 6,400,000 children developing thyroid cancer that are under of 5 years old....., and you are saying that there is a government conspiracy to hide that fact in an era when everyone with a smart phone is a CNN and NBC reporter.....!

Don't be a slave to tabloids compadre.....! LOL

Musta
14th Feb 2016, 23:55
I'm with Longreach and not on leave from Qantas. I'm based in Australia, you get good health cover from Bupa Australia for you and the whole family with Hospital and extras with no excess, this meets the government requirements to reduce medicare levy. You are reimbursed 350 to put towards a new headset also. Longreach is partnered with Crew so you are actually employed by Crew. Being Australian based it seemed the best fit for myself.
The pay i believe is the same whoever you are with, its the little things that will help you decide

UAL777
15th Feb 2016, 04:12
Hey Dominican, always a pleasure to read your posts on here and on Airline Pilot Central..I have always wondered ane it's been many years, are you from the Dominican Republic? I live in Queens, NY and have many Dominican friends..Very curious that's all...I used to fly all over D.R as well..Best,

ryanb5005
21st Feb 2016, 22:17
How difficult is it to get an interview? US regional captain, 6000 TT, 1000 TPIC, 767 typed.

gtseraf
21st Feb 2016, 23:19
the best way to find out is to apply:*

Fratemate
22nd Feb 2016, 09:35
How difficult is it to get an interview?

I found it incredibly easy. Does that help at all?

jrmyl
22nd Feb 2016, 13:52
Yea but Frate is a former astronaut and test pilot. :p

Seriously though, just apply. The worst they can do is say no.

sahidahm
22nd Feb 2016, 14:15
Just to know, Does anyone knows if is true that to convert license into ATPL Japanese licesense it will take 6 months and it is possible to fail?
I mean conditions, lifestyle and airline maybe good, but what if after 6 months you fail atpl??:}
No more currency on the last flight... this is my biggest concern!
Someone know something more?

TKs

virustalon
22nd Feb 2016, 21:07
It's easy. Don't fail. Study and do things right.

The Dominican
22nd Feb 2016, 22:20
Does anyone knows if is true that to convert license into ATPL Japanese licesense it will take 6 months and it is possible to fail?

Ok...., you got us....! It's not true, it's just a joke we've been playing on you all for the 10 years this thread it's been running....., sorry..., it's the radiation laced Koolaid that made us do it:}

ryanb5005
22nd Feb 2016, 22:59
How are the accommodations during training? Are they at Narita or Hanada? How are layover hotels?

Fratemate
22nd Feb 2016, 23:42
Sahidahm,

Of course it's possible to fail. I don't know where you've trained before but there are certainly no guarantees that you'll pass here unless you reach their standards and fit into their way of doing things. Expect 6 months as a minimum and, no, you won't be current if you fail. Only you know if you're good enough to apply and take that 'risk' but if you're used to guaranteed passes just by attending courses then don't bother.

Ryan,

Are you going for the Subjective Question Award? The accommodation (note the lack of plural) is fine, unless you normally enjoy presidential palaces, in which case it's not fine. You will be accommodated close (ish) to Haneda (note the spelling) and Narita. Haneda while you carry out ground school and simulator training and Narita for OJT.

Try reading the thread because all your questions have been previously asked.

Kraus
23rd Feb 2016, 07:03
Funny story; we actually had a B767 get turned around in China after it tested positive to an amount of radiation. The Chinese wouldn't let them offload the cargo. For a while, we were greeted with a red army member and a Geiger counter whenever we landed in China! I know the argument about altitude and radiation, but it is cumulative, if a little is not too bad, a lot doesn't make it almost ok.
You will find a lot of complex information about radioactive material in Japan and you will have to decide for yourself how much you or your family are happy with. The chief advisor to cabinet on the matter has made some staggering remarks, that don't merit repeating here.

The pass rate in perspective; most of the pilots that join AJX pass without much of a problem or they're carried over the line. At the moment however, the upgrade has a higher than historic average failure rate. On a lighter note, some of the crews really enjoy the six months in Tokyo.

Best of ruck

sahidahm
23rd Feb 2016, 16:19
Sorry Man,
I asked if anyone would have a feedback to better understand which is the failure rates, as you probably ( I hope ) understand loosing the currency on the aircraft if you have a family I prefer to avoid.
:rolleyes: is hard to understand or what?? :ugh:
Thanks!!

jrwhitehat
23rd Feb 2016, 19:32
Bloomberg News....2014

Atmospheric radiation levels in Tokyo are at the same level as before the Fukushima nuclear accident three years ago and are below those in Paris and London.
The average radiation level in central Tokyo was 0.0339 microsieverts per hour in Shinjuku Ward on March 6, data from the Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Public Health show. That’s about the same as the day before the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami caused the meltdown of three reactors at the Fukushima plant 220 kilometers (137 miles) to the northeast.
That reading compares with 0.085 microsieverts in London and 0.108 microsieverts in Seoul on March 3, and 0.057 microsieverts in Paris on Feb. 27, according to a compilation of world monitoring sites on the website of the Japan National Tourism Organization. Radiation levels in central Tokyo were as high as 0.809 microsieverts per hour on March 15, 2011 before declining to 0.0489 microsieverts by the morning of March 18.
Radiation occurs naturally in the environment. While a careful search could still reveal trace levels of Fukushima-linked radioactivity in Tokyo, it now barely registers over readings from background sources, such as solar particles, rocks and soil,

:ok:

BoxFly
24th Feb 2016, 10:31
Sorry Man,
I asked if anyone would have a feedback to better understand which is the failure rates, as you probably ( I hope ) understand loosing the currency on the aircraft if you have a family I prefer to avoid. :rolleyes: is hard to understand or what?? :ugh:
Thanks!!

No. It's not hard to understand. What exactly do you want us to say? If you can pull off a V1 cut without corking it in you'll be okay. If you can fly a C150 visual pattern in a B767 you're in for sure. It's not rocket surgery. Have basic skills and study some you'll be fine.

The Dominican
24th Feb 2016, 16:10
Bloomberg News....2014

Atmospheric radiation levels in Tokyo are at the same level as before the Fukushima nuclear accident three years ago and are below those in Paris and London.
The average radiation level in central Tokyo was 0.0339 microsieverts per hour in Shinjuku Ward on March 6, data from the Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Public Health show. That’s about the same as the day before the March 11, 2011 earthquake and tsunami caused the meltdown of three reactors at the Fukushima plant 220 kilometers (137 miles) to the northeast.
That reading compares with 0.085 microsieverts in London and 0.108 microsieverts in Seoul on March 3, and 0.057 microsieverts in Paris on Feb. 27, according to a compilation of world monitoring sites on the website of the Japan National Tourism Organization. Radiation levels in central Tokyo were as high as 0.809 microsieverts per hour on March 15, 2011 before declining to 0.0489 microsieverts by the morning of March 18.
Radiation occurs naturally in the environment. While a careful search could still reveal trace levels of Fukushima-linked radioactivity in Tokyo, it now barely registers over readings from background sources, such as solar particles, rocks and soil,

This is so boring...., there is no sexy to it...., no zing! It is so much more interesting to believe that there is an international conspiracy that involves the highest levels of the Japanese government, the International Atomic Energy Agency and The state department of the United States to hide the impending death of a population larger than that of New Zealand:ok:

Do you guys have a mold to make your tinfoil hats or is every single one a masterpiece?

Shere Khan
27th Feb 2016, 11:20
I'd like to thank everyone that has posted interview/sim tips over the years. I read every page of this thread before the interview/sim and there were absolutely no surprises during the entire process.

Shere Khan
28th Feb 2016, 22:03
I understand this is a commuting contract but I have a few questions for anyone that is or has tried living in Tokyo while flying for AJX. I have been offered a course and am considering living in the Shinagawa area.

1) Is there a lot of short turnarounds in NRT with min rest? Would it be reasonable to take a 1 hr 15 min train home or would that waste too much time?

2) If you get called in on a blank day or reserve day, how much time do you have to report? Could I be sitting in my apartment in Tokyo and have enough time to report to NRT if I get called in? Unforeseen delays aside of course.

3) I need to look into train schedules more closely but if someone is familiar, do trains run from NRT to Tokyo all night? Do the AJX check in/out times for PAX and cargo work with the train schedule? Would I have issues if there is a late return or a late night checkin?

4) Do you guys foresee any other issues with the idea?

I hope i'm not asking questions that are already answered in this thread. Thanks!

E165
28th Feb 2016, 23:36
Do some research everyone. There are different types of radiation, how it affects us; just like different types of sugars and fats. Radiation exposure from flying at high altitude, for instance, is not the same as radiation exposure from a nuclear powerplant, inside a nuclear submarine, or an x-ray, for that matter. And, if you believe everything the government says is true and transparent, well...then the earth is flat...

I'll just end it here, since this isn't the place to discuss about these things.

But sank you for your understanding and cooperation. :hmm:

How 'bout them 787s though? Heard the company's looking for suitable accommodation down in Sydney again for training...

atlanticjet
29th Feb 2016, 00:04
We have a bunch of guys living in downtown Tokyo ! The rest are split between Narita town and the Excel Hotel. With the Excel jacking up the rates and making it more restrictive, it seems like more and more of the guys are heading out to town/city. For the guys in Tokyo it seems like it's not an issue as long as you plan accordingly especially with regards to train/bus schedules. Times between rotations in Tokyo on average seem to be +- 24 hrs. On occasion you'll get min rest like 12hrs, but that's not very common. In any case if it's tight just crash at the Excel for the night .

With regards to the 787, they are coming, but absolutely no one has any clue as to how it will be staffed, what destinations, how many airframes and most importantly how much $$ will be on offer to fly them. Lots of rumors, but nothing concrete at this point ! Use caution !

The Dominican
29th Feb 2016, 00:13
I have done the research into all 4 types of radiation, spoken to experts on the field actually.......! Keep drinking the koolaid about the 787 while we keep the same contract for another 3 or 4 years:ok:

There is only one type of dangling carrot..., the one that taste like ****:=

gtseraf
29th Feb 2016, 09:24
I'm curious.

Has anyone studied the radiation effect of the koolaid?

dogtired
17th Mar 2016, 10:40
Shere Khan, please PM me. I've a question I want to ask you.
Thanks

Shere Khan
22nd Mar 2016, 04:04
I'm not cleared for PMs yet. Anything I can help you with in the public forum?

Pin Head
26th Mar 2016, 14:19
Hi

If unsuccessful 7yrs ago are you allowed to apply again or are you blacklisted?

Thanks

Pin

Fratemate
26th Mar 2016, 15:02
Well, we've had a few people rejoin after they'd left (having completed their contracts) and rumour has it that AJX has asked certain individuals if they'd like to come back. I also heard tell that some people who had not been successful were re-invited to apply after 6 months or so. Maybe they only just missed the grade, I really don't know.

The main point, surely, is what is it going to cost to have another go? A bit of internet access or a phone call and you'll get a pretty good idea. I think I would be tempted to use CREW if you previously used PARC and vice versa and, unless specifically asked, I don't think I'd make a show of having previously applied.

They are still very keen to recruit new FOs but Capts need to have a JCAB ATPL (and preferably the 767 type rating but not absolutely required), so slap in an application if that suits your wants.

Pin Head
26th Mar 2016, 15:23
Yes, thanks.

Does having 4000hrs on the 756 help?
Though not flown for 4 years.

Fratemate
27th Mar 2016, 01:39
Yes, having flown the type (or it's smaller brother) would most certainly give you some plus points. Even though your rating would have expired the Japanese don't see it that way and you will be considered type rated and do the slightly shorter course, providing they can match you up with another type rated pilot.

dogtired
29th Mar 2016, 06:53
https://youtu.be/IoUEDSotF4Q

NeilC
7th Apr 2016, 13:12
Hi Everyone

Very informative thread so far, i have decided to read from the beginning.
Could anyone please give advise as to which agency I should use to apply.
Crew or Longreach.

Regards

Neil

Kraus
9th Apr 2016, 03:13
CREW, you'll end up there anyway, but the insurance is better, much better

Fratemate
9th Apr 2016, 13:51
And for the Aussies Longreach would be better I presume?

I think you'd presume wrong. CREW is the way to go; they've been doing this a lot longer than Longreach and their medical insurance is just as good in Oz as it is in the US. PARC's is about as much use as an ashtray in a hurricane.

Musta
10th Apr 2016, 09:30
If you join through longreach you are employed by Crew, if you are in Australia you have the benefit of good private health insurance through Bupa Australia (top hospital + extra's with no excess). Greatness of Insurance is dependent on which country you intend on living in.

gtseraf
10th Apr 2016, 23:04
Musta
It also depends on what type of insurance you're after.

I believe the medical cover for CREW covers the whole family but no long term disability.

Parc pays medical cover for the contractor only but has a disability cover for a 2 year period (with many caveats,mind you)

I haven't looked into the differences too much but all the contract companies seem to offer slightly different packages in that respect.

Absolutely
11th Apr 2016, 02:07
If you join CREW, through Longreach, you will get private health cover in Australia and only travel insurance outside Australia.

If you join CREW direct you will get 100% coverage for your whole family anywhere in the world through Aetna Global. It's great insurance. Pays 100% of most procedures/visits (except dental, usually 75% I think) Did I say it's great insurance.

CREW will provide loss of licence cover for 2 years. Costs approx $120/month I think. At the moment 3 month waiting period. They are currently looking into a shorter wait but slightly higher premium.

Hope this helps.

canuk587
15th Apr 2016, 11:50
First time poster. I completed the interview and medical the other week and was wondering what the wait time is like these days to hear back for the results? Also, how much weight is placed on hearing?

Thanks Folks,

Absolutely
17th Apr 2016, 10:46
I'm not trying to be rude but I don't get the question. They would place the same weight on your hearing as your heart beat. Same as any country. They have requirements for both. There is nothing you or I can do about it!
Having said that I hope you did well at the interviews.

The Dominican
17th Apr 2016, 11:51
http://http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Health/images-2/deaf-people.jpg

At this point just apply and see what happens......., What are you going to do? Practice your hearing?:ugh:

Half of us are deaf flying this damn freighters anyways!:rolleyes:

iggle piggle
17th Apr 2016, 15:08
I said 'Flap 5!!!'

gtseraf
17th Apr 2016, 23:14
Dom

I wish there was a like button for your comment!

Fratemate
18th Apr 2016, 00:07
I do agree that Canuk's question is pretty pointless but, just for Dom, he's already applied. He said he'd attended the interview and medical. Quite what effect us saying the hearing is vitally important or not important at all would have I cannot fathom. As Absolutely said, hearing meets the standard required = pass. Hearing does not = fail. You'll soon find out.

I want a like button for Iggle Piggle's comment :-) "WHAT WAS THAT, SLAP CLIVE?"

canuk587
18th Apr 2016, 03:28
Thanks for the comments. Hopefully all goes well :)

I did like the Flap5 comment.

jibba_jabba
19th Apr 2016, 07:03
Hi guys,

how is the company in regards to different roster patterns? i.e. 4 weeks on 4 off?

How are they in regards to a prolonged sickness etc like a bad flu/sinus issue?

Any news on how the 787 integration will happen/work; and when?

What is the typical accommodation setup people are doing after they are trained? And how is the accommodation during training?

Is there transport to/from hotel for work during training and/or when you are on the line?

How are the medical renewals?

Thanks

jrmyl
19th Apr 2016, 09:39
Hi guys,

how is the company in regards to different roster patterns? i.e. 4 weeks on 4 off? You can choose whatever days off you want for the most part. You get 12 days off plus 2 vacation days per month. You can do those back to back if you want.

How are they in regards to a prolonged sickness etc like a bad flu/sinus issue? They will work with you, but are very strict on seeing a doctor to get permission to come back.

Any news on how the 787 integration will happen/work; and when?Nope. Nothing. Nada.

What is the typical accommodation setup people are doing after they are trained?After training many people are getting apartments in Narita or Tokyo. Or they stay at a hotel in Nartia. And how is the accommodation during training? During training you are in a furnished apartment in Tokyo.

Is there transport to/from hotel for work during training and/or when you are on the line? If you stay at the hotel in NRT then there is hotel provided transport. If you have your own place you are on your own

How are the medical renewals?Renewals aren't too bad. Once you pass the first one there shouldn't be any issues as long as you keep in the same physical condition.

Thanks You're welcome.

condor1
27th Apr 2016, 20:09
Hi guys,

First of all, thank you all for all the information you've been posting. I spent a couple of hrs reading it all.

I applied to the 767 FO position and was told that will have a first screening in LAS and then in Tokyo. Apparently the sim in LAS is just a visual circuit. Is this something new? I don't recall reading about it in any post.

Any information/advise is welcomed, feel free to send me a PM too.
Hope to see you all in Japan!

gtseraf
29th Apr 2016, 08:47
I believe that some agencies have a pre-screening for certain applicants (depends on their experience/type ratings). I recently spoke to someone who attended this screening. Apparently a fair number of applicants failed at this stage, so it may be an idea to treat this quite seriously.

The Dominican
29th Apr 2016, 12:14
Apparently a fair number of applicants failed at this stage, so it may be an idea to treat this quite seriously.

Excellent advice............, take this as a screening..., not just as practice for the real thing.

condor1
1st May 2016, 00:34
Thank you for the advise. I was thinking about taking it seriously anyways but, it's always good to know what you are getting into.

I will keep you guys posted !
Condor1

A ver si nos cruzamos por allá Dominican!

arena1
3rd May 2016, 02:37
Hi Guys,
Looking for some info on recent interview process. Has anyone interviewed in the last couple of months, and if so could you please let me know if the info on this thread has changed much regarding interview questions and process. Are the questions random out of the FAA handbook or are they pretty similar for each candidate?

Thanks in advance
Fly safe

FMGEC
14th May 2016, 18:33
Hi All

I interviewed a few weeks ago. The info on this thread is spot on and very helpful. Thanks very much to everyone who has contributed.

Some of my thoughts for those that have asked recently:
The 20 technical questions come straight from the FAA ATP questions. There is a great little $10 app in the Apple appstore with all the questions in it. I think its called Prepware?
The sim profile is exactly as in the documentation. I found the B767 very sensitive in pitch (like a car with very light power steering) but very stable in roll. It's also quite slippery and doesn't slow down easily once on the slope. I can definitely recommend flying the sim profile quite a few times, even if its not in a B767. Fitting all of the calls, checks and procedures in in real time the 1st time is quite difficult and I found that even flying it on the computer was helpful. FInally know the pitch and power settings! Not only do the AJX folk seem to like this the settings work. I'm not normally a numbers guy but the settings are accurate to a very close margin.

The medical seems to vary slightly depending on what day of the week you go and which agency you use. A friend and I both used CREW (two weeks apart) but I did a stress ECG and he didn't. And the guy before me didn't do a lung function test at the airport clinic but I did one in town the next day. Otherwise nothing out of the expected.

Overall, I found CREW to be very helpful once they had accepted my application. In Tokyo they were extremely helpful and professional.
The AJX personnel who did the screening were friendly and patient. While there were one or two small language/comprehension problems, overall I didn't find it a big factor.

Good luck to everyone who goes for it.

condor1
15th May 2016, 16:50
Very useful information FMGEC, thank you!

Vetical Limit
16th May 2016, 01:00
You get 12 days off plus 2 vacation days per month.

Is a month considered 28 days or a calendar month?

Thanks

Absolutely
16th May 2016, 02:33
calendar month

Newcomer2
17th May 2016, 08:50
We have a bunch of guys living in downtown Tokyo ! The rest are split between Narita town and the Excel Hotel. With the Excel jacking up the rates and making it more restrictive, it seems like more and more of the guys are heading out to town/city. For the guys in Tokyo it seems like it's not an issue as long as you plan accordingly especially with regards to train/bus schedules. Times between rotations in Tokyo on average seem to be +- 24 hrs. On occasion you'll get min rest like 12hrs, but that's not very common. In any case if it's tight just crash at the Excel for the night .

With regards to the 787, they are coming, but absolutely no one has any clue as to how it will be staffed, what destinations, how many airframes and most importantly how much $$ will be on offer to fly them. Lots of rumors, but nothing concrete at this point ! Use caution !
Hello!
Assuming you don't choose the hotel option when in Tokyo, I'm just wondering how hard it is to rent a place on your own if you don't have a resident visa?
I have spent a few hours reading this amazing thread. I understand this is a commuting contract and there is no residence visa for you and your wife. My plan would be to rent a place in Tokyo during my ON days, where my wife could stay (as a tourist), and we would travel around Asia during my OFF days. Does it sound feasible?

I'm currently flying in the sandpit and looking for a better lifestyle (more than 2 days off in a row and less than 90h/month)...

The Dominican
17th May 2016, 13:26
I'm just wondering how hard it is to rent a place on your own if you don't have a resident visa?

It is possible but you will have to go through a real state agent..., it is very unlikely that an owner will rent you a flat without the gaijin card...., but a real state agent does the contract with the owner and then sublease the place to you..., basically he becomes the guarantor.

Newcomer2
17th May 2016, 20:04
Thank you very much for your quick reply, much appreciated :ok:

Buttscratcher
18th May 2016, 02:09
What's the scrub-rate like during training?
Does everyone make it through the JCAB and OJT ok?
Curious, I have a great job, but I'm thinking this lifestyle may suit. I just don't to find my ass on the street though.

Absolutely
18th May 2016, 07:16
Very roughly about one trainee goes home every course of 8.
The reason is usually, not always, an attitude issue where the trainee just can't adjust to the ANA way of doing things. It's very different to Western airlines and you need to accept that well before coming here. It's their train set. The training is tedious, not difficult.

Buttscratcher
18th May 2016, 19:35
Thanks for your honest reply, sir.
This would be a great contract, but I am still hesitant.
I know that some aspects would drive me nuts, (I'm the guy who tends to moan if a SOP changes for no good reason).
Obviously nothing is guaranteed, and I'm wondering if it's worth the 'grass is greener' risk.

The Dominican
18th May 2016, 22:33
I know that some aspects would drive me nuts, (I'm the guy who tends to moan if a SOP changes for no good reason).

Oh this is not the job for you....!

Out here you must have a keen ability to readjust every time some new manager comes through the door...., follow the direction of a plethora of publications (sometimes contradicting eachother) and get operational instructions from people that don't appear in any organizational structure as your supervisors.

Buttscratcher
19th May 2016, 03:12
Thanks Dom
Yeah, a man has to know his limitations!
I'd love to say "yeah, I can put up with that", but for such a dramatic lifestyle change I have to be honest.

Feels Like Flying
11th Jun 2016, 13:18
Good day

I need some help with the profile please. My PM feature does not work yet.

For the standard calls:
Do they want you to call "Flaps 5 set Bug plus 40" or "Flap 5 set 175" ? This is for all flap settings.

Thanks for the help!

gtseraf
12th Jun 2016, 00:18
I would say that stating the speed is better option, so flaps 5 set speed 175 should be better

Feels Like Flying
12th Jun 2016, 08:53
Thanks for the reply gtseraf

Another question please:

MCP set up before take-off. On the altitude window, would you set 3000 ( level off altitude) or 0 feet ( 15 feet elevation at Shimoji). The Boeing I fly we set cleared, level off altitude but the Gen I got from the agency says 0 FT so I would like to double check.

oldhasbeen
12th Jun 2016, 11:01
set the field elevation until you get the clearance, then set whatever altitude you're given in the clearance

schabur
14th Jun 2016, 10:19
hello guys

Wow...122 pages of mostly excellent gen. :ok:

What i do want to ask, and please pardon me if i missed this being dealt with, is the following:

1. For the screening/interview. Would a jacket and tie be acceptable, or is a full suit recommended? I did my interview for my current position with jacket/blazer and I do not actually own a suit. I have no qualms in getting one tho.

2. I am in my early 40's and I have been wearing a beard for a very long time now. Would that be something to consider getting rid of? I am a bit scared of what I will look like , but again...i have no qualms in doing so if that is something that the Japanese culture requires.

I assume that this handle cannot do PM's yet (I see my old one from 2005 has been terminated) so any info on these seemingly silly questions would be appreciated.

best

-scab-

Fratemate
14th Jun 2016, 13:40
1. For the screening/interview. Would a jacket and tie be acceptable, or is a full suit recommended? I did my interview for my current position with jacket/blazer and I do not actually own a suit. I have no qualms in getting one tho.

There will undoubtedly be examples quoted of various standards of dress exhibited by different attendees of the selection procedure and there is no hard and fast rule (unlike the white shirts that we know TD loves......we know you miss Greg :} ) . However, the people on the other side of the desk wear suits just about every day of their lives (in various fetching tones of black) and I believe you'd be safest with a suit. If you're anywhere near Hong Kong, Bangkok etc then get one made up. Much cheaper than most shops and you end up with a personally tailored bit of clothing that can then be used for the next funeral you attend.....maybe that's why they go for black!

2. I am in my early 40's and I have been wearing a beard for a very long time now. Would that be something to consider getting rid of? I am a bit scared of what I will look like , but again...i have no qualms in doing so if that is something that the Japanese culture requires.

I think the Japanese are a little suspicious of face fungus but they don't seem to mind it on our pilots who sport the things. So long as it's neat and trimmed and not trying to give ZZ Top a run for their money then I think you can keep your face warm by retaining your hairy chin. I'm pretty certain there's no Japanese culture that requires them to have a smooth face, just an inability of most of them to grow one.

condor1
14th Jun 2016, 16:59
Hey Scab, I had the screening in LAS not long ago, I took a suit with me that I didn't use. The examiners are very relaxed. I am not saying wear jeans but, I didn't even use a tie and I was the best dressed there. I think business casual is the best option.

For Tokyo I will definitely wear a suit.

I have a question for the guys currently flying for AJX...

In case I get the job, I am planning to rent an apartment so my wife can stay in Tokyo on my days ON.
About how much is the rent of a nice one bedroom place in Narita?
I've checked airB&B but, probably for a long-term rent, the number would be lower.
I'm just going through the numbers here to see how much money I'd actually be taking home every month.

Thank you!

Condor1

nj314
15th Jun 2016, 08:31
thanks for all the info :)

currently flying a320 in vietnam, looking for a 767 sim to pratice before going to the screening but the nearest sim i found is panam in florida (there is 1 panam 767 sim in tokyo but not available for individual). What about flying some hours in a 737 sim instead, do you think it will help?

btw, if you know where i can find a 767 sim around asia, please don't hesitate to let me know.

jrmyl
15th Jun 2016, 16:58
Renting an apartment in Narita will run you around 70,000 yen. Some places are less but some are more.

Not sure of the official definition of x-country time, but if you take off from one airport and land at a different one, that is x-country. Distance does not matter. I have some flights from my previous company that were only about 10 miles between airports. Still x-country.

As far as the person asking about whether to wear a suit or not, do you seriously want the job? If yes, then dress for success. Wear a suit and trim the beard neatly or shave it off for the interview. It will always grow back.

condor1
16th Jun 2016, 00:11
Thanks for the info on the rent!

vitorps87
22nd Jun 2016, 22:08
Is it possible to stay in Japan during the 10 days off in a row?

My finacee is japanese and I was expecting to actually commute every 2 or 3 months.

Thanks

The Dominican
23rd Jun 2016, 01:40
@vitorps87....., On the last duty day just enter Japan with your passport (90 day visa) instead of the shore pass......,that's it.

Have you actually read this thread? This has been beaten down to a very fine pulp over the years...., take some time and read through it, start from about 3 or 4 years worth and go forward, there is a lot of information about this gig.

vitorps87
23rd Jun 2016, 02:59
Thank you Dominican.
I looked only for couple of months ago, I will look further.

@vitorps87....., On the last duty day just enter Japan with your passport (90 day visa) instead of the shore pass......,that's it.

Have you actually read this thread? This has been beaten down to a very fine pulp over the years...., take some time and read through it, start from about 3 or 4 years worth and go forward, there is a lot of information about this gig.

NeilC
30th Jun 2016, 10:20
Hi Gents

Just finished reading the entire thread, thanks to all who made informative posts.
I can't send a PM yet so I would just like to ask a couple of questions.
During the visual approach you say "Clear Left/Right Side" before every turn.
What do you say when in IMC during the VOR and ILS approach?

One of the technical questions in the interview is describe the touchdown zone with JCAB rated pilots to give the JCAB definition.
Does any one have the JCAB definition for Touch Down Zone?

I read on one of the posts that when you eventually get upgraded you sign a new five year contract starting on Captain pay scales. I can not seem to find information on when you finish that five year contact and you sign another five year contact does your pay stay at the five year Captain scale or does the new five year contact keep on going up every year like the first five year contract.
I hope it makes sense what I am asking.
If anyone has a file on pay scales could they please PM or email it to me.

Interviewing on the 5th July, super excited.

Regards

Neil
[email protected]

Fratemate
30th Jun 2016, 13:01
During the visual approach you say "Clear Left/Right Side" before every turn.

Yes, or something similar. The Japanese will say "left/right side clear" but it's just important (to them) that you look and say something. The fact that they often just say it without looking is not supposed to be noticed, so please do as they say and not as they do

What do you say when in IMC during the VOR and ILS approach?

Please don't laugh too much because it's true, but they'll (we'll) say "left/right side in cloud". Stupid beyond comprehension but just smile and do, smile and do.

One of the technical questions in the interview is describe the touchdown zone with JCAB rated pilots to give the JCAB definition.
Does any one have the JCAB definition for Touch Down Zone?

For some reason they get a big hard-on about knowing the distances to the different white lines on the runway, so it's a good idea if you can learn them. They'll be mostly interested in where the touchdown zone marks start, how they're spaced and (obviously) where they finish. They'll probably be even more interested in where the aiming point marks start and how long they are. This way they can question you about seeing the very end of the aiming point marks while you're in the flare, or not and how this will place you for touching down in the correct place or landing long etc. They've got an ideal for the 767 of 1250' ft touchdown but I can't reproduce the drawing of the eye height, distance between pilots and gear etc, so you'll just have to believe me (or not if you've got any brains). It's not specifically a JCAB thing because the runway markings are standard but it's an Asian thing for learning numbers that you'll never use again and firmly grasping the irrelevant. We all know the importance of landing in the right place but they want you to be able to back that up with your mastery of learning numbers by rote and being able to show how landing long or short is a bad thing. Seeing the end of the aiming marks disappearing under the nose as you touch down is a good thing and will mean you've achieved Nirvana at 1250'. The fact that you dragged the approach in from 50 miles, used five times the fuel by avoiding any cloud in the sky and are late because you insisted on slowing down for every slight bump in the air is totally ignored. Autobrake 4 will also help for the limiting runways like Narita.

I read on one of the posts that when you eventually get upgraded you sign a new five year contract starting on Captain pay scales. I can not seem to find information on when you finish that five year contact and you sign another five year contact does your pay stay at the five year Captain scale or does the new five year contact keep on going up every year like the first five year contract.

When you start a new contract you'll continue going up the pay increments (that will buy you an extra Asahi per year). So you'll go onto waypoint 6 having completed the first 5 year contract. I'd love to tell you more about pay increases etc but all the agencies are dickless wonders and won't ask AJX for more money lest they upset their lords and masters. Meanwhile, if the pay doesn't look good to you, don't join, because it won't be going up with the current personnel involved in the contract agencies.

The Dominican
30th Jun 2016, 22:39
I'd love to tell you more about pay increases etc but all the agencies are dickless wonders and won't ask AJX for more money lest they upset their lords and masters. Meanwhile, if the pay doesn't look good to you, don't join, because it won't be going up with the current personnel involved in the contract agencies.

Don't forget the brown nosing koolaid drinkers that every time someone mentions "pay" they react as if you just mentioned their mother...!

NeilC
1st Jul 2016, 11:11
Thanks Fratemate.

Clear right side/Right side in cloud it is.

Thanks for the answer on the salary, I have a colleague at work that told me once you finish your five year contact your salary then stays at that amount, I just wanted to make sure as is does not make sense for your salary to stay at the same amount for the next 10 years.

Dox
2nd Jul 2016, 22:40
hi everybody!

I am applying for Fo position. What's the six months trainign about? is it just atpl both theory and practical or also 767 type rating? is salary given for this period?

thank You all!

Fratemate
2nd Jul 2016, 23:01
How about reading the thread and, funny old thing, find that all your questions are answered :rolleyes:

Dox
3rd Jul 2016, 15:07
ehy, funny guy, there are 123 pages, what's so wrong in asking a question? if you really don't have time to waste answering me just don't do it and stop increasing numbers of posts to this discussion

alldaysushi
3rd Jul 2016, 15:16
Hello All,

Mainly looking to the wisdom of current 76 drivers at AJX,...

Is 58 too old to apply, not concerned about left seat, just looking for a place to finish a contract career. 747 744 ACMI, much experience in the China / Pac Rim
regions, FAA / CAAC China ATPL.

Thanks in advance for any guidance to the Dominican if he fields this query.

Safe journeys,

Sushi

The Dominican
3rd Jul 2016, 16:20
Dox
ehy, funny guy, there are 123 pages, what's so wrong in asking a question? if you really don't have time to waste answering me just don't do it and stop increasing numbers

If you have taken the time to read this thread...., you would know that he is one of the people that have taken the time to answer everyone's questions, not only here but on PM's as well....! If you see 123 pages as a waist of your time and just want the easy way out..., you are not the kind of person that they want working here.

The Dominican
3rd Jul 2016, 16:22
@alldaysushi......, I don't think so...., you can fly here until 65 although the medicals get a bit tougher though. But provided you pass the medicals, you can still do 7 years worth of flying at AJX.

Fratemate
4th Jul 2016, 04:18
Thanks for your words, TD. It is amazing just how lazy some people can be and just want spoon-feeding with everything.

alldaysushi,

What TD says is true but have you considered NCA as well? It may not suit you because our commuting deal is better than theirs but you could continue flying the 747 and not have to go back in time onto the 767. There are advantages to both companies over the other but have a look at NCA as well, if you haven't already done so.

BlackPrince77
4th Jul 2016, 13:36
Dox, I was in my late teen's joining the air force a decade or so ago, and I was on this very website doing my research and read through all 110+ pages of the air force recruitment thread on top of later asking and emailing every single person that I could who was ex-air force.

If you want the job bad enough, you do whatever it takes, guess you just want an easy eventual command and some decent $$$. Sorry the world doesn't work that way.

alldaysushi
4th Jul 2016, 15:56
Fratemate,

My timing with NCA always seems a shade off, HACS / CREW hiring, not hiring.

The AJX Contract is desirable for just the reason of commuting, and or maybe settling in the Hawaiian Islands.

In any case, thanks for the feedback to you and the Dominican.

Safe journeys...Sushi

Fratemate
5th Jul 2016, 00:04
I think NCA are recruiting fairly hard at the moment because there's currently quite a few new faces around the block and they're all hard at work trying to relieve the boredom of 1 day in ground school followed by 3 off :-) Might be worth a phone call to see the latest.

However, AJX are still after even more pilots than NCA and it sounds like it's going to continue. Even joining at 58 you'll get into the left seat for a couple of years at least, so you'll have a bit more beer money to enjoy. As you know, HNL is served 3 times per day by AJX & ANA, as well as all the others, so it's a pretty easy commute if you wanted to ZED it and keep the change. Obviously it gets busy at different times of the year and that's when you use the C Class option but Hawaii would be a pretty good place to commute to/from. We've got a few pilots who live on the various HI islands so the path is well trodden before you and you'd get home every two months or so (if they shared the trips evenly, which is a big IF) for the night, while on a flight.

CREW is your next stop, so give Frank a call :-)

safelife
5th Jul 2016, 06:59
Age limit is 67 now in Japan.

gtseraf
5th Jul 2016, 09:26
AJX and ANA still use age limit 65.

Not sure what the future holds there.

The Dominican
5th Jul 2016, 13:04
Isn't mainline ANA retirement age still at age 60? The subsidiaries (AJX) are at age 65 regardless of the extension of the age limit to 67.....!

alldaysushi
6th Jul 2016, 02:19
Fratemate,

Thanks for the valuable feedback... Will follow on with HACS / CREW in the short
term, re: NCA / AJX, though would enjoy meeting you 76 guys out there. Fine meal on me.

Safe travels all...Sushi

7th Jul 2016, 22:15
Quick question re the c class commuting:

I saw mentioned a gazillion posts ago something by Dominican about "sit back, take the points and relax" or something similar.

When using the confirmed business option, do You get the full fare, business class points or is there some restriction...

Cheers.

gtseraf
7th Jul 2016, 22:23
generally, being a full fare ticket, one gets the full frequent flyer benefits.

8th Jul 2016, 01:08
Great, thanks.

vitorps87
19th Jul 2016, 08:10
Hi All.

I'm trying to apply via CREW for B767 FO. I fulfill all the (experience) requirements, except one that I didn't expect, which is a commute location that AJX would accept.
I'm from South America. So, I was told by CREW that I have to be able to commute somewhere closer to Japan, and South America is too far, therefore AJX wouldnt accept my application. Apparently I need a residency permit card from any other place, but South America.

I kinda gave up, because I don't have any resident card from another country (except the one Im living and working now in the sand-box, which I would loose it if I resign from my position). But, I thought about asking here as a last attempt. Maybe any of you have faced similar situation.

Any ideas in how to solve this? Is there any country or territory which would be easy to get a resident status near Japan?

Thanks

jrmyl
19th Jul 2016, 08:41
That is B.S. We have several pilots from South America here. Not sure what kind of crap they are trying to pull, but if you are truly qualified they should be happy to have you interview.

Fratemate
19th Jul 2016, 17:37
As jrmyl says, we have guys from Brazil (Rio) and they have no problems with the commute, apart from sitting on the aircraft for a long time. If CREW are putting up barriers then apply through PARC. I THINK, but cannot be absolutely positive, that our South Americans are PARC people.

Pitot-Grande
20th Jul 2016, 07:39
Utter BS. Nothing prohibiting South Americans in the contract.

vitorps87
22nd Jul 2016, 18:19
Copy+Paste of the e-mail CREW sent me:

"Dear,

Air Japan has reviewed your application and they rejected it. Air Japan explains this is due to the commuting. Not just a cost factor, but prior complaints from pilots about fatigue. In the past we had many pilots quit and complain about commuting long range from their homes, asking for more days off, etc. Evidently it is a concern for Air Japan. Unfortunately, this has killed many opportunities for others like you. Sorry but we’ve tried our best.

Would you be interested in Asiana? If so, please apply online. If we don’t hear from you, best wishes with your future endeavors!

Thank You."

ChrisGK
24th Jul 2016, 21:15
Anyone working for company that can tell me which hotel crews are using during layovers in Honolulu? I'm a prospective applicant and I'm in town for a military exercise (RIMPAC). Would appreciate the opportunity to buy someone beer(s) in exchange for a chat about lifestyle, commute, conditions, etc. (PM is preferred)

oldhasbeen
25th Jul 2016, 21:54
Since when does "you don't pay us enough money" translate into " we commute too far" ??

B767ER
4th Aug 2016, 17:54
Dear Friends,

Anyone went to the LGW pre-screening interview/sim eval ??...
What to expect?...

Thank you!👍🤓

rmker
22nd Aug 2016, 17:42
Good Morning!

Anyone have any current information on the process? Just handed in App form to Parc. Looking to see if anyone is currently flying/commuting and how the conditions are. Just perused the forum, but lots is changing fast, and the information is getting outdated.

TIA

Avturbound
23rd Aug 2016, 00:08
Guy's probably been asked but any Aus pilots working for Air Japan at present and if so what is your tax situation how do you get around getting slammed by the Aus ATO any information would be great. cheers lads

oldhasbeen
24th Aug 2016, 03:38
Really?????

Popgun
28th Aug 2016, 02:27
...how do you get around getting slammed by the Aus ATO any information would be great. cheers lads

You can get around all of it if you really want to...right up until the moment you are audited!

It isn't simply a matter of being out of the country for more than 183 days. (Though that would be of benefit to a non-resident tax status if you have no other ties to Australia)

The factors the Tax Office says it typically gives weight to are:

intention or purpose of presence
family and business/employment ties
maintenance and location of assets, and
social and living arrangements.

If, for example, you have a wife and/or kids living in Australia then you will be highly likely deemed Australian-resident for tax purposes. If you maintain a 'second' home in Australia and can't sufficiently demonstrate a 'primary' home in another country then you will also be deemed to be Australian resident. If you always spend most of your days off each month in Australia then you will likely be deemed resident. If you have rental property (or other business) and it is only located in Australia then that is another nail in the "I'm not resident" coffin.

It used to be a lot easier in years gone by to operate in the grey areas in our industry when living in Australia but working offshore. Unfortunately the ATO is on to it these days. During an audit they will try to discern where the 'centre of your world' is located and the onus will be on you to prove otherwise.

If you are audited, it will greatly assist your case if you can PROVE to the ATO that you are actually resident and domiciled in another country to avoid a ruling that you are Australian resident. Paying tax in a foreign nation is great supportive evidence.

It's quite complex and I would recommend you go and pay for some competent specialist tax advice on the matter. Don't rely on PPRUNE!

Like I said, you can do whatever you wish with your foreign income...right up until the point you receive an unfavourable audit and then are financially ruined for decades due to the onerous penalties imposed.

Good Luck!

PG

The Dominican
30th Sep 2016, 02:28
It's quite complex and I would recommend you go and pay for some competent specialist tax advice on the matter. Don't rely on PPRuNe

Best advice ever........!

RemoveB4Flght
3rd Oct 2016, 10:34
Good afternoon,

I have seen a number of advertisements for 767 DEC. I understand AJ has quite a few experienced FO waiting for command. Do they actually hire many DEC, or is this the exception to the rule?

gtseraf
3rd Oct 2016, 10:40
I believe the policy is to hire DEC who have JCAB licences. In the past they did not require JCAB licences but the pass rate was not so good.

Best to speak to the contract companies, Crew or Parc and ask them, they would know for sure

Fratemate
3rd Oct 2016, 23:22
I notice PARC don't advertise for captains at all any more, only FOs. CREW have this to say on their website:

NOTE : We have been informed that Air Japan (AJX) will now emphasize the recruitment of FOs. AJX will rely mainly on their upgrade program to fulfill CAP requirements. However in the event regularly scheduled classes fall short of FO candidates, AJX may fill those empty slots with direct entry JCAB Captains .

Minimum Requirements
(not waivable)

Captains:

· Total Flight Time in excess of 6, 000 hours

· Commercial Jet PIC Time in excess of 3, 000 hours

· Valid JCAB ATP(L) with Command Type Rating

· Multi Engine Jet Aircraft experience in excess of 50,000kg MTOW

Pretty clear-cut I'd say.

gtseraf
4th Oct 2016, 03:16
NOTE : We have been informed that Air Japan (AJX) will now emphasize the recruitment of FOs. AJX will rely mainly on their upgrade program to fulfill CAP requirements. However in the event regularly scheduled classes fall short of FO candidates, AJX may fill those empty slots with direct entry JCAB Captains .

hmmm, apparently they are struggling to fill the courses on a regular basis. Time to have a good look at the contract on offer AND the long term prospects for candidates. There are more than enough good quality pilots out there, just not enough are prepared to leave where they are to make a long term commitment??

The Dominican
4th Oct 2016, 05:48
AJX has to make the realization that their contract has fallen behind....!

TIME TO IMPROVE THE T&C's.......!

gtseraf
4th Oct 2016, 10:22
Dom

feedback I am getting, is they are like ostriches, heads firmly in the sand, hoping for the best!

bringbackthe80s
4th Oct 2016, 10:36
I know it doesn't matter much to some of the guys closer to retirement, but it's also the aircraft type which puts a lot of people off.

E165
4th Oct 2016, 13:00
"AJX has to make the realization that their contract has fallen behind....!"

Just fallen behind? I think you're being nice. It's crap AND fallen WAYYYYY behind the times (was good maybe 10+ years ago) - especially now when you consider flying 80-90% of your line in a falling apart POS they call the 767 freighters in the middle of the night through China and Naha. Pax, what pax airplane? See it maybe once or twice a month; usually XMN or HKG day turn (8+ hrs.flt time/ 12+ duty because of delays) after someone calls in sick and getting called out on standby...Who gets to fly the easy pax patterns? I don't know and I don't care; because I'll never fly them.

At least the Chinese carriers PAY you decent $ to work like a slave and live there (they pay the local taxes, even Korean)...AJX doesn't even pay any of your taxes or get you a work visa. Yet they have the audacity to schedule trips that would be illegal in most Western countries and fly you until you're literally fatigued. It supposedly has gotten better over the years, but I have yet to fly the "good" trips enough to notice. So in actuality, after you've paid your taxes back home, your take home will be maybe equal but probably less than a US Legacy FO of similar YOS and equipment when comparing their pay to our CAPTAIN pay. Compare Captain to Captain pay? Forget about it. All the little add on $ allowances on your contract? You'll more than likely spend all of it plus some more while doing your month here. It's just a ploy to make your "gross" pay look better and to lure you into commuting to work half way around the world to fly into China at night in a tired, old, beat up 767 freighter. There is no career nor a financial advancement here currently, if that's what you're looking for.

Yes, I am very happy here.

Disclaimer: I have only stated the facts in the above post regarding the current situation here at Air Japan. I am not discouraging nor encouraging anyone to join Air Japan. It is your decision and yours only at the end of the day.

atlanticjet
4th Oct 2016, 17:09
" your take home will be maybe equal but probably less than a US Legacy FO of similar YOS and equipment when comparing their pay to our CAPTAIN pay. "

With major pay increases and contract adjustments across the board at United, Delta, SWA, UPS, FedEx this contract in comparison has completely and utterly fallen behind in almost every respect. Most of our Yank pilots, with clean records and no skeletons, are actively on the way out both Captains and FOs, even those that are in their so called prime years, 45 and up.

The Dominican
4th Oct 2016, 18:42
Surely the 767's are nearing the end of their tenure.

Any idea when they will be starting with 787's?

ANA has already announced that they will continue to use the 767 in their freight business for at least another decade, they are turning a few more pax birds into BCF's..... At AJX you will fly what the mainline guys don't want, this is just the crude fact about contract work so all that sweet tasting Koolaid aside...., come to AJX for the commuting conditions and a 50% shot at command...., but come with the expectation to fly the B767 mostly on freighter flights during your tenure here and you won't be disappointed....! If your goal is to fly any other type, apply to a company that is currently operating them, AJX is not!

E165
4th Oct 2016, 22:25
Amen to that!

Fratemate
4th Oct 2016, 23:54
I agree they need to up their game but, according to the contract companies, AJX still reckon they're paying the market rate and aren't going to change the conditions. Now, whether this is just PARC/CREW being lazy buggers and just telling us that without actually trying to get the pay increased we'll never know. The contract companies are quite happy to accept the status quo and let things tick along without getting off their backsides and actually trying to do something for the pilots. We have certainly dropped behind and my salary now is worth significantly less at home. The cost of everything has risen over my time with AJX but my salary has stayed exactly the same and I am very unhappy with the reluctance of the contract companies to do their job and support us, rather than kowtow to AJX at every turn because they're scared of losing the contract.

Quite why any American worth their salt would be coming to AJX I don't know. With the hiring going on in the States it would be utter madness to leave home and do this job. Some do it to get a 'quick' command but I can never understand that mentality. Who cares about which seat you sit in? It's all about lifestyle and that is the only important thing. Far, far better to be an FO on a UAL Airbus, living in the US, than left seat of an AJX 767 in Japan.

I wish they would just get their act together and stop all the Chinese whispers, rumours and gossip. The announcement by Mr Big of ANA (whoever it was, I can't remember) that we would be getting the 787 by 2018 was quite clear but that seems to have become muddled and now, who knows? They still can't sort out how they'd integrate the different type into our operation or how they'd crew it and, in true Japanese style, nobody will make a decision because they're all scared of being wrong. A new aircraft would be nice but, to be honest, my priority puts the type of flying ahead of that. I am sick and tired of China, China, China. I HATE the place and don't ever want to go there or hear another Chinese voice in my life but that's not going to happen. My October roster has one trip that is not China :*

It will be very interesting to see if the rise of JAL from the ashes does affect us. It won't happen immediately but, with the lack of Japanese pilots available, JAL are surely going to have to do something to crew their aircraft. I'm not even talking about expansion but with the retirement bulge in the Japanese airlines and extremely low number of new Japanese pilots, they are going to have to take steps to fill the seats. With a better network (a far more varied international route structure) and a fleet that will consist of 777, 787, A350 they're already looking a better bet than AJX. Add to that the same commuting contract and days off and they'd look even better. Pay better than AJX and I'd be off in a heartbeat. I believe our JCAB licences would make us a little attractive to them. With all the above, AJX would have to do a lot more than just increase our salaries to make me stay. I just hope JALWays II actually comes to something.

Well, that's enough moaning for now. If any of the contract companies are reading these posts, then get your act together and do your job. Stop pandering to the Japanese every time they say we're being paid 'market rate' and actually support the people you're supposed to, instead of acting as a recruiting conduit and then completely forgetting about those you recruited. You've done absolutely NOTHING for at least 10 years, so get your thumbs out of your backsides and stop being such kowtowing pussies.

E165
5th Oct 2016, 02:30
"Market rate?!?" Hahahaha! Obviously the management do not understand what NET pay is. Where did these guys go to school? Mickey Mouse Academy? Just across the pond, in Korea and China, the published pays are net. Meaning, AFTER taxes. In Korea it's about $16,000 US + 35% of your yearly salary and China is 45%. You do the math to see what the gross comes out to.

Nevermind me comparing rates with US carriers in my earlier post. Let's compare apples to apples within the pilot contract world. We are still way, way behind the pack. Market rate....ha!

atldrvr
5th Oct 2016, 02:47
Agree with all the above posts. Time for AJX to improve the pay and conditions. I have 2 years left on my contract and will be in my mid 40s. There was a time where I would have been happy to finish my career here but no more. If nothing changes by the end of my contract I will definitely be looking at returning to the U.S. or, and I thought I would never consider this, possibly a few years in China. Like Fratemate, I am tired of all the China flying. If I am going to fly that often to China I might as well double my pay and work in China.

The other issue I have, and sorry to a few of you new guys who are competent, but the quality of new hires here as deteriorated. So not only am I having to fly crap trips through China but feel like half the time I am doing it single pilot. Just for that I think we need a pay raise.

I doubt anything will change but hoping someone pulls their head out of their ass here. Considering we have had APIDs(iPads to the rest of the world)for three years now and still not officially approved, I am not holding my breath.

B-757
5th Oct 2016, 05:48
..Two weeks off every month, at your choosing..!!..You are not going to get that with any company in the US..And I hear the pay per flight hour is not that bad either..

..I am not saying that you should not try for something better..But I would look at the ``positives`` also..

..Wish you happy skies !!..

Fly safe,

B-757

Fratemate
5th Oct 2016, 07:09
I'll try not to take your post in the patronising way it sounds but some of us have not been here 5 minutes and are excited by a sparkly new job. Some of us have been here long enough to see the negatives increase so much that they now outweigh the positives. If you'd have said to me a few years ago that I should look at the positives, then I'd agree with and I DO agree that the days off bidding/requesting IS brilliant. However, I had a $500/month salary cut when they squeezed AJV & AJX together, I now fly almost twice as much as I used to, I almost live in the most sh*t country in the world as we fly there so much (China), my salary has not risen 1 cent but the cost of living has everywhere in the world and it seems every month we get another nagging letter telling us that such and such is forbidden, or remember to breathe regularly or some other useless, mollycoddling (read controlling) instruction. And I have to agree with atldrvr, some of the guys I've had sitting next to me have been really quite 'average' and I wonder just how they got to where they are. I'm not paid to be an instructor and I don't really see why I should have to be if (a)they got their selection right and (b)got their 'training' right. I'm happy to 'coach' as any captain should but lately I feel as if I'm doing a lot more instructing.

Yes, there are many positives and, just to keep B-757 happy, I am so, so grateful for them. However, the negatives are increasing and they could easily solve one of those if they pulled their heads form where they are firmly lodged.

PS: altdrvr; Apids were Sep 2011 :}

The Dominican
5th Oct 2016, 08:33
..Two weeks off every month, at your choosing..!!..You are not going to get that with any company in the US..And I hear the pay per flight hour is not that bad either..

..I am not saying that you should not try for something better..But I would look at the ``positives`` also..

..Wish you happy skies !!..

Fly safe,

B-757

I would suggest that you speak with folks that have gone to mainline legacy carriers in the US....., guys are getting very little reserve and getting 12 to 16 days off right out of the bat......, third year at United you will be making as much if not more than a captain at AJX and getting upwards of 18 days off.....!

I'm an old bag so that ship sailed for me but anyone in their 40's or younger would be mad not to make a move....!

gtseraf
5th Oct 2016, 08:33
Frate has a good point. It is also worth looking ahead when considering this job. Yes, at present, there is an opportunity to get a widebody command (albeit on a jurassic machine) within 5 years. After that things pretty much slow down to nothing. Have a look at the salaries of the guys who've been here for 15 years or so. A 10 year Captain, salary, USD14300 per month + USD 1000 pension. The accomodation and international allowances barely cover costs. I don't follow other major salaries that closely but I would not be surprised to see a 15 year FO at one of the US majors or Qantas earning considerably more than this + they are living at home, not flying old, clapped out freighters, pretty much back of the clock all the time, mostly in and out of China working for people of a different culture who often just don't get how we function.

At present Captain salaries top out at 20 years, no increases past that , not that the annual increases are any good, they are very much based on Japanese zero inflation. Total lack of understanding that our home countries may have higher inflation rates than Japan.:mad:

Things have been very good in the past and I live in hope these good times will return. It's up to the powers that be to make this happen.

Capt Coco
5th Oct 2016, 11:16
gtseraf, are you talking base pay?!?!?! you must be comparing your 10 year training Captain salary.....I don't have a payslip near by from my 10 years line Captain salary but it was a lot lot less than $14300. I'm not projected to hit amount that until my 16 or 17 year line Captain salary on my current contract. I thought we worked for the same agency........GERARD.......Mr O'Reilly???? What is going on here?????
And here I was thinking no one was able to get A scale anymore????
Although I flew with an F/O the other day who reckons he saw his Captains payslip (DEC from the AJV days) so maybe 7 year or 8 year pay and it was almost the same as mine?!?!?!
Maybe we do have A, B and C scales here now???? Not sure what agency the Captain works for.

gtseraf
5th Oct 2016, 11:28
not an FI salary shown here, it does include some extra "experience" pay on top of the basic salary. It's also ballpark figure.

The numbers I have seen are similar to what you say the base salary is. Not sure if there are different scales around.

The idea here is not to start any infighting amongst the present group, but rather to illustrate the rather poor long term prospects for younger people who may be considering this option versus the legacy carrier.

Fratemate
5th Oct 2016, 13:41
No infighting intended but there is definitely an A scale and a B scale. The fact that the A scale doesn't cut it really does not bode well for the B scale (7 or 8 year AJV captain will be B scale, so the captain concerned must have been in longer than that). My payslip also does not reflect $14300!

Edited to add: calling on Gerard is a futile gesture. Chocolate tea pots and their usefulness spring to mind.

E165
5th Oct 2016, 22:51
Not to add fuel to the fire, but there is definitely a different scale for DEC vs. Upgraded vs. early 2000 hires. Either way, the top scalers are still below the industry average, whether compared to other contract jobs or 767 operators worldwide. What AJX management fails to understand is that majority of us have to commute very long distances from our homes for three or so weeks at a time. And, as a couple of guys pointed out, regular line captains are having to play the role of an instructor and babysitter when we fly. Compensate better by being competitive with other contract pilot jobs or at least make the working conditions better. Something. Not too much to ask I think, especially when the contract agencies are making huge profits off our backs. It used to be 100% pax flying for me almost 10 years ago to before the merger, now 10% pax. If I wanted to fly freight (nothing against the original AJV guys), I would have applied to AJV originally...But either way, our schedules still suck.

For those of you who are prospects reading this thread, the "rantings" in the recent posts were actually addressed to the respective contract companies so they can relay the situation to the company by a good majority of the pilots - but fell on deaf ears.

Fratemate
6th Oct 2016, 23:16
No, we're not saying that. The figures on the websites are accurate. What we are saying is that (a)they're not enough because they haven't risen in decades, so those of us who have been here some time have seen a big drop in our buying power at home and (b)the guys who joined very early on in the life of AJX/AJV are on a higher salary than those figures and so an A & B scale does exist. The figures on the websites are the B scale.

The Dominican
7th Oct 2016, 02:39
Ah ok. Thanks fratemate.
It would seem A & B scales are becoming more prevelant throughout the industry these days.

These days airlines are also losing their most experienced skippers for playing that "Nickel and dimed" bull****....!

gtseraf
7th Oct 2016, 05:31
beancounters can't put a $$ value to experience, in their minds anyone with the bare minimum qualifications and a pulse is good enough. They seem to think experienced people are too expensive and always demand too much. Strange we don't see pimply kids straight out of business school running the shows, oh wait! maybe they are ;)

Capt Coco
7th Oct 2016, 14:26
Any truth to the rumour that the 2 night layover in Wuhan has been ditched for a midnight HND-HKG followed the next night (16 hour layover in Honkers) by another midnight HKG-HND????

I see a few Hangzhou ground schools going around, no ground school for Wuhan though??

Or did I miss that email from our scheduling committee?

We still have that committee don't we, I can remember voting for at least two out of the four of them!!!!

How often do we vote for new committee members? I know the two new guys have just started a couple of months ago, but how long do committee members stay on until they are refreshed with two new members??

jrmyl
8th Oct 2016, 00:43
I am happy to see that more people are expressing their displeasure with our T&C's. I have been pretty vocal for some time now but never really heard too many others speaking up. Maybe they were complaining in private? We need to make our voices heard. Get everyone riled up!!! Mo' Money, Mo' Money, is the theme.

As far as the schedules go, last month I was there for 27 days. You would think I had a good mix of pax/cargo. :mad::ugh: Nope, I had 1 pax trip to HNL and the rest of the month was cargo. What a joy. :* Things need to change in the trip allocation department. There are a couple of destinations that I haven't been to in coming up on a year now. Of course they are pax only and the training likes to use them.

J

gtseraf
8th Oct 2016, 01:17
history has shown that the only time things are improved is when many people leave and the number of new hires dries up. The rest is just an irritating background noise.

However, I have been contributing to this background noise.

Joker89
11th Oct 2016, 06:47
Regarding the Sim screening.

I have read the profile and non of it seems overly taxing. Few call outs and powers / attitudes to learn. Just a matter of doing the prep.

The agent I am going with seems to think that elaborate sim prep is required to pass even as a non type rated FO. I have no Boeing experience but 3000hrs in glass cockpit jets. I'm not sure any job is worth spending Thousands of dollars in a sim to show them you can pole a plane.

Is the standard they require in screening that high?

Cheers

lostinspace89
11th Oct 2016, 08:15
So, sorry for asking, but I've received the terms via an agent and I'm confused. What does a type rated FO take home package look like?

Korean is offering a similar package but with tax paid...so I'm wondering if that's a better package. Would you say the ME3 are still offering an overall better package in terms of salary and not schedule or commuting rosters.?

gtseraf
11th Oct 2016, 08:33
in the perfect world, one should not have to spend money on sim prep for a job, I agree.

A couple of things to think about. The 767 is first generation glass, the sim is very much based on that, some have no speed tape, just the old fashioned round ASI. The scan pattern required is different to a modern glass cockpit and this catches a few guys out. Sim prep may help to avoid that one. Plus getting the procedures and calls perfect BEFORE arriving is not a bad idea.

How serious are you about this job? If it's a shot in the dark, then saving money may be an option. If you are very keen and serious on getting this job, you'd be doing yourself no favours by skimping on the prep.

The agency may sound like they are trying to fleece you but I reckon they are just trying to get as many guys through, thus increasing their income.

E165
11th Oct 2016, 20:38
"The agent I am going with seems to think that elaborate sim prep is required to pass even as a non type rated FO."

The simple answer is no. Many guys in the past have passed the sim without the sim prep. B767 is still an airplane and flies like one. Gtseraf has a point though; if you've been flying only full glass cockpit, it MIGHT be helpful. But airplane's an airplane. Just familiar yourself with the profile/callouts and the general pitch and power settings and you should do fine. Longreach started this sim prep thing for guys with a lot of cruise time, but no real stick time - and was caught on by others. Either way, we're still getting pilots who you wonder if they're Frank Abagnale wannabes...

The Dominican
12th Oct 2016, 00:57
"To sim prep or not to sim prep..., that is the question"

I'll add my two cents......, first let me say that I didn't do any sim prep prior to the interview but this wasn't my intention...., I had already found out the cost at the PanAm academy in Miami to go do it...., someone had cancelled the interview and they assigned his slot to me so I had no other choice....., it worked out evidently but I agree with gtseraf on the matter......, if you have a lot of modern time glass flight deck experience as of late, it will definitely be a good thing to do some sim prep ahead of time.

My formative years in this paid hobby of ours was flying very old metal, I'm talking radial engines old...! So to me the scanning of steam gauges wasn't an issue and that is why I pulled it off...., but if you have been flying modern flight decks for most of your career it will be cumbersome and you might tunnel vision into one thing and let something else fall through the cracks....!

So the answer is that if you are used to the style "T" scanning of old...., you should be ok..., if the "speed and altitude tape" is your comfort zone..., then prep like an Alabama redneck...!

Kraus
12th Oct 2016, 01:19
If you want to make a point about T&C, take the survey and then have a coffee...

sorrento
18th Oct 2016, 06:57
Aussie AJX commuters,

Any accountant you'd recommend over your tax obligations with this contract? Mine is about to retire...

Cheers

Fratemate
19th Oct 2016, 04:55
I believe we have three AKL commuters. I can think of three others who have left. I suppose the answer to your question is, no, there's not many but there's no particular reason for it that I can see. Commute is pretty easy and everything else is as per this thread.

lookleftandenvy
20th Oct 2016, 09:24
Hello fellow aviators. First and foremost I like to thank everyone for the very detailed and informative contribution to this thread. Started out from page 1 and am halfway to page 126.

1)Could anyone give me an insight to the current success rate in landing a job as an FO here? I am willing to work hard, follow the rules and adapt to the local culture. I am aware this is a first generation glass cockpit and would need some getting used to coming from speed and altitude tapes.

2)(Touchy question) I am of Chinese descendent, (english is my first language). Would this be an issue in terms of discrimination as going through the first 60 pages of this thread , I understand there aren't many(or none) crew here from south east asia. The purpose of my question is just to understand the culture and will everyone be given a fair shot.

3)There was a part of the thread that mentions about almost every other guy on the upgrade program failing. Is the failure rate still high? Understand it's about 5 years to being offered an upgrade.

Thank you all and have a pleasant day ahead.

Ps: Saw the press release that the A380s will be taking over the HNL runs come 2019... ):