PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

The Dominican
21st Oct 2016, 12:08
1)Could anyone give me an insight to the current success rate in landing a job as an FO here? I am willing to work hard, follow the rules and adapt to the local culture. I am aware this is a first generation glass cockpit and would need some getting used to coming from speed and altitude tapes.

Given the fact that you are already used to the Asian style training, I would say that your chances are higher than average....., it's not difficult really, you just have to learn to play their game. That's all really.

2)(Touchy question) I am a Singaporean of Chinese descendent, (english is my first language). Would this be an issue in terms of discrimination as going through the first 60 pages of this thread , I understand there aren't many(or none) crew here from south east asia. The purpose of my question is just to understand the culture and will everyone be given a fair shot.

We are a very diverse pilot group and although I've seen some folks being given a harder time than others, it seems to be personality driven and not due to ethnicity....., If you have the right attitude they seem to bend over backwards to try and help you......! Even with their rule of two shots only at command, we have a couple of cases where guys didn't make their upgrade evaluation twice but because they are such nice people (strangely enough, that's mostly the reason why they didn't pass their evaluation in the first place, it wasn't their flying, it was their passiveness and lack of command assertion) one of them is already a captain and I heard that the other will start his command evaluation again...., good for them! I really haven't seen anything in my time here that tells me that you will be given a harder time because of your ethnic background.

3)There was a part of the thread that mentions about almost every other guy on the upgrade program failing. Is the failure rate still high? Understand it's about 5 years to being offered an upgrade.

It's running at about 50% or so and the evaluation start around year 4.

Ps: Saw the press release that the A380s will be taking over the HNL runs come 2019... ):

The expansion rate of the universe and solar flares have more to do with the AJX pilot group than this...., literally!

lookleftandenvy
21st Oct 2016, 13:21
Good Evening The Dominican,

Thank you for your reply.

I do want to submit my application at the soonest and I read here that CReW & PARC are the way to go. The only thing holding me back now is my BMI , which I read somewhere in pages 70-ish that the Japanese are strict about. Looks like I would need to shed some donuts.

Just to confirm, the time taken to obtain the JCAB ATPL is about 8 months?

Fratemate
24th Oct 2016, 02:02
It is true that AJX has very few Chinese pilots, in fact I can only think of one and he is Hong Kong Chinese, so similar to your situation. Obviously we'd never get mainland Chinese because they train with one airline in China and stay there for the duration. I can't imagine a Japanese airline being particularly warm to any mainland Chinese pilot but I do believe they would be much more inclined to look at someone like yourself who is Singaporean and, in my mind, a completely different kettle of fish. We do have a fair number of Korean pilots, both from Korea and American-Korean. I do appreciate the difference in attitude of the Japanese to those from Korea versus China but I do not think this exists with Singaporeans and I reckon you'd be given a fair chance.

If your BMI is above 28 then you'll need to get below that for the initial medical and, preferably down towards 25. Allegedly there is no limit in the JCAB regulations (although I've never actually looked) but that really doesn't matter, since the first medical is for AJX and they DO have a limit.

It will take you about 6 months to finish groundschool (plus all the associated courses), simulator training and get your type rating and ATPL. After your days off (normally 10) you'll then do 2 weeks of unnecessary airport 'training' in the classroom and then approximately 2 months of OJT/line training. It's a long slog and we all know it could be reduced to a more normal max of 3 months but it's their trainset (no matter how badly designed) so if you reckon you can let that stuff wash over you then submit an application. As I've said before; the worst they can do is say 'no'.

lookleftandenvy
24th Oct 2016, 09:40
Hello Fratemate,

Thank you very much for the insight!

Yes I will need to drop some pounds. If 28 bmi is AJX's glass ceiling.

Lastly, I was running through the sim check profile, noticed weights were all mentioned in LBS. So the unit of measurement for weight and fuel is all in pounds over there? Just looking at some threat and error management on my end for the prep ��

Thanks and happy landings

rmker
24th Oct 2016, 13:33
Do they consider a real BMI test from a University? I know of several individuals that are over their BMI requirement, but are nowhere near obese.

Is the goal to reduce muscle as well?

lookleftandenvy
24th Oct 2016, 15:06
Hello rmker

Yeah, that seems to be true about the bmi limit AJAX sets. Am so regretting my last pepperoni pizza already 😨

The Dominican
24th Oct 2016, 17:28
You can argue your "real BMI test" until you are blue in the face and the only measure that they will consider is theirs......!

Fratemate
25th Oct 2016, 03:40
Lastly, I was running through the sim check profile, noticed weights were all mentioned in LBS. So the unit of measurement for weight and fuel is all in pounds over there?

Unfortunately, yes, so get used to big, inconvenient numbers :rolleyes:

Do they consider a real BMI test from a University? I know of several individuals that are over their BMI requirement, but are nowhere near obese

Oh yeah, they're really on to all that stuff. When I say that, I mean they see how tall you are in metres, they see how much you weigh in kilograms. They square the height and divide the weight by the result.......just like a university :ok: As TD says, they'll do the test their way and really don't give two hoots who has alternative opinions about what they're doing right or wrong or why 'several individuals' really have no need to stay off the pies. Get below 28 or don't apply, it's not rocket science, or university science.

gtseraf
25th Oct 2016, 12:26
lookleft, bear with me on this response.

Reading between the lines, you are looking at making a move to get your command.

If this is correct, possibly, you should be looking at other options. As you pointed out, the success rate in the command eval process at AJX has been hanging around 50%.

You are looking at leaving a (I am assuming here) national carrier in your home country to become a contractor working in a foreign country, where the success rate is 50% and you have been bypassed by your current employer already. This implies a deficiency, which may well trip you up in AJX.

Think carefully of making a move just to get the command, look at all the possibilities and plan on worst case scenario. If that did occur, would you be happy at AJX.

If you are looking for a move to the left seat, better to go to a LCC in SE Asia, there are many around, get the command there and then look at contracting as an experienced captain in China or elsewhere.

not trying to be nasty but trying to get a realistic point of view across.

lookleftandenvy
25th Oct 2016, 17:35
Hello gsteraf,

Thank you very much for the advice. Yes I do agree that there are some serious considerations to be done. Obviously at this point in time , it's best I do nothing but lay out all options on the table.

Many thanks once again for the good intentions and if we ever meet, I believe an ice cold pint is in order ��

Happy landings! ��

GaijinFlyier
31st Oct 2016, 23:21
Hi everybody.

First of all, thanks for all this hard work since 2005, giving us your time and experience putting lots of helpful information in this thread.:ok:

I’ll present here my situation and thoughts about paths to choose in my career in the future. I’m flying as a FO in Brazil right now on E190/5 (2000TT), with one of smallest jet salaries in the world. Here there aren’t lots of companies to choose. We have only 4 “majors” and the country is passing through a hard economic situation. My average is about 9k reais. Each dollar is about 3,20 nowadays, giving me astonishing USD 2,8k monthly :}. Per diem nearly 500 USD a month. To complete the scenario, the taxes in Brazil are one of the highest in the world, reducing even more the amount. Life quality is far behind US, Europe or Japan.

I’m in contact with Japanese culture since younger (that works a lot for me) and one of my goals in life is work and live in Japan. My initial plan was reach my flying hours to apply on the ME, earn a CPT position and get a chance in Japan after that, with some luck, get the retirement there.

Starting my research about Air Japan, I saw that I could reach the minimums in 2 years. But I was punched in the face about the residency situation, small chances to get in only with the minimums requirements and one of the newest case about a fellow Brazilian here in the thread that was kicked off because Brazil was “too far away” for this commuting contract. :ugh:

I read in posts years ago about the possibility of visas in the future. What’s the situation nowadays about it and your thoughts about the future? It’s only me and my wife (half Japanese, sansei generation without the nationality, her grands were Japanese). She already lived in Japan during 2 years, working there.

Studying hard it’s not a problem for me, since it’s a will living there and I’m not afraid about 8-9 months eating the books. But about upgrades? If I leave Brazil, hardly I’ll get a chance of a Fast Track to become a CPT here. So it’s an one way ticket for good. In your opinion, Air Japan is a good option for upgrades nowadays? The pacific economic block (Japan, US, Canada, etc.) could give a good perspective for aviation in Japan?
Is there another companies that offer work visa, allowing to live in Japan? I read about Skymark here, but as CPT.

I read about how good was the contract in the beginning, but the situation years later became disappointing. Nowadays and yours perspectives about the future, do you recommend Air Japan or other Japanese company to have a decent work quality x living?

Any other advices about what to do and ways about get a life with my wife overseas in Japan will help a lot.

I’m really sorry about this size and the questions. But I’m trying to get more information as I can to not step wrong and blow out everything, losing years to reach this objective.

Thanks again for all your time and work here. It’s helping a lot to choose what to do next. :p

Fly safe

fan driver
5th Nov 2016, 09:21
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone out there is currently working for Air Japan and wouldn't mind sharing their experience on what it's like to work for. Thanks.

gtseraf
6th Nov 2016, 07:26
fandriver, I was going to try to provide a witty response to your question.

Unfortunately, due to the present scheduling, I am just too tired to come up with anything.

It's not a happy camp right now for many reasons.

767 Autopilot
6th Nov 2016, 08:36
JCAB limit for BMI is 30, I will post from the manual:

The applicant must not be obese to the extent that such obesity may interfere with the
performance of airman duties.
2. Disqualifying Conditions
Excessive obesity that may interfere with the performance of airman duties
3. Examination Procedures and Precautions
4. Evaluation Precautions
Obesity is one of the significant risk factors for arteriosclerosis and cardiovascular
disease. An applicant with severe obesity with body mass index (BMI) exceeding 30
must be examined for other risk factors of cardiovascular disease and evaluated for
qualification with consideration given to the risk of sudden incapacitation during
flight. Also, evaluation should be made to determine whether or not the condition
interferes with the controlling of the aircraft.
BMI is calculated according to the formula given below.
BMI = body weight (kg) / height (m)2

The Dominican
6th Nov 2016, 12:31
fandriver, I was going to try to provide a witty response to your question.

Unfortunately, due to the present scheduling, I am just too tired to come up with anything.

It's not a happy camp right now for many reasons.

Morale is falling at a rate that will make the period just after the merger look like "happy days" :ugh:

galdian
6th Nov 2016, 20:33
Sounds like you guys have had some new managers arrive who have decided to show everyone how things "should be done" and how the gaijin hired help should be treated with appropriate regard to their true status.

THAT always works out so well for everyone!

Best of luck with interesting times! :ok:

Muff Monster
6th Nov 2016, 22:55
I have read this thread with some interest over the last few years wondering if I should apply for a position.
I actually live in Japan and commute to operate for an airline in another country.
I am married to a Japanese Lady, my children are half Japanese and I love Japan and living in Japan. I speak and read a little of the Language.
The last question to ask myself before applying to any of the airlines in Japan is whether I could work for the Japanese.
The answer of course is NO, I could not work for a Japanese airline as a pilot, in fact I don't think I could work in any industry in any capacity if it were run by the Japanese :ugh:
Good Luck guys, flying is an easy job really, pity they have to make it so difficult and miserable for the troops.

skysook
7th Nov 2016, 00:14
Can you guys please elaborate on what is actually happening at AJX? My impression was that it was a great place to work. Never heard anything bad about it until now. Should I hold off applying?

gtseraf
7th Nov 2016, 02:01
in general, scheduling issues, mainly a recent change where schedulers appear to have become inflexible with certain aspects, eg first and last duty, thus meaning that some crews are having to burn a day off at home because they miss their commute flight home on the last work day or need to come back early to meet schedule requirements.

There is no contractual protection for this BUT the schedulers have managed to assist for the last 15 years, now suddenly it is a problem.

Duties and flights are becoming more fatiguing, a lot of pilots are complaining of being CONSTANTLY tired. New duty patterns seem to be aggravating this. It may not be on purpose but the schedulers seem unable to understand the fatigue problem.

Uncompetitive salary package, I'll say no more.

I'm sure others would be able to add or elaborate

When/if they fix it who knows! I fear it will take a drastic change in manning levels before any action is taken

skysook
8th Nov 2016, 00:31
Thanks gtseraf,

Sounds like the classic "we are stretched for resources" syndrome. Which most airlines these days are experiencing. The recent drop in jet time requirements would support this. Never the less, normally these things get addressed eventually so it could be just a temporary issue.

The pay is an interesting one. Many say it's good but I'm still struggling to calculate to that. Take out all the allowances (which I'm assuming you need to cover the costs of working in Asia for 2 weeks) and you're left with the same or less as a narrow body FO in Australia. Seems hardly worth it!

gtseraf
8th Nov 2016, 04:10
yep, the salary is not really competitive. The attraction for some is the potential to be a wide body captain within 4 to 5 years. Yippee! After that the package becomes less competitive over time.

one is flying a very old technology aeroplane and the schedules, at present are pretty awful.

days off are pretty good but it can be very demanding being away from home for so long (let's not even talk about the initial training period)

It could be a very good contract with some changes, whether these ever happen, time will tell.

The Dominican
8th Nov 2016, 18:26
Sounds like the classic "we are stretched for resources" syndrome.

The sad story is that we are not stretched at all.....! We have the majority of captains here flying 55-58 hours/month.....! We certainly have good manning numbers..., (for now, many people looking at options) All this discontent is self inflicted by simply not having a clue of how to make efficient rosters.....!

Like one of the managers told me when I mentioned paring software...., "We haven't found a software that adjusts to our operation" in one of the most technologically advanced countries on earth that is...!

The contact as per the T&C's has fallen WAY behind..........., not even close to being competitive.....!

gtseraf
9th Nov 2016, 01:09
Sealear, maybe the same complaints are being made because they are the same problems across the industry.

Over the years Flight Operations management in most airlines has been shifted from being pilots to non-flying types. There seems to be a total disregard for the human aspect of the operation, with emphasis being firmly on making maximum profit for the company with minimum expense. Crew are seen as a disposable resource which becomes more expensive with longevity, so work them hard and replace them with cheaper, more malleable staff as soon as possible. Experience pah!

The race to the bottom is well on its way.

lostinspace89
9th Nov 2016, 07:09
Just asking for curiosity here as I thought Air Japan had a good contract, so its clear I was wrong maybe.

Which other airline would offer more competitive contracts for an FO? Would you say Korean? Or are there others not really mentioned online?

Probably best contracts look like they're in China though everyone here is against the move, but the money seems good for Captains of course, though it's illegal to hire expat FOs. Probably once the chinese FO's upgrade it will be illegal to hire expat Captains too.

gtseraf
9th Nov 2016, 07:27
lostinspace

the contract is not all bad, lately things have been happening which are pushing the total package towards the bad side.

A few changes, not only money, some of the changes won't cost much and they'll have a good, if not great contract.

For a young f/o looking to get a widebody command, it's not a bad option.

Unfortunately, the long term prospects are poor. So, if you want to come here, get the command and go elsewhere it may be an option.

The best, in my opinion, get into a major carrier, enjoy the ride, even if time to command is longer, the overall package and protections over the length of your career will be much better.

The Dominican
9th Nov 2016, 12:51
For a young f/o looking to get a widebody command, it's not a bad option.

Unfortunately, the long term prospects are poor.

You are calling for an objective response Sealer? The chances of command are at 50%..., it goes up or down a few points depending on what group is put through but that is a fact! There is an active upgrade program, that's true and it is better than many places, of course! But if you come here thinking that it is a given that you will upgrade because we do have an active upgrade program...., half of the F/O's would disagree.

They have gone back on their agreement to implement the scheduling guidelines...., these guidelines were put in place (by the total agreement of the company at the time) because they recognized that they were needed and now they want to do away with them even though we have enough coverage...., that's a fact! That you don't find the objectivity on that is irrelevant.

The trend has been steadily declining...., it looks more and more like we will be an all freighter operation with constant day to night changes within the same paring and it looks more and more that we will be operating the 767 for at least another decade.

The ability to choose our days off is great...., YES! But even the long standing policy of bringing you back to base early on your last day is not being honored..., and that reduces a day off...., and what is pissing everybody off is that they don't really need to change it, we are NOT restricted on manpower with many crews being underutilized. All they need to do really is up the T&C's and USE SCHEDULING SOFTWARE AND PARING GENERATORS, period. This alone would take care of 90% of the scheduling issues with the commute and the preferential scheduling of a handful of motherless ***** that are constantly playing the system..., this is creating a real discontent on a pilot group that, on a large scale, was quite happy to make AJX a career job...!

It is as simple as that really......!

Icarus2001
10th Nov 2016, 05:10
The pay is an interesting one. Many say it's good but I'm still struggling to calculate to that. Take out all the allowances (which I'm assuming you need to cover the costs of working in Asia for 2 weeks) and you're left with the same or less as a narrow body FO in Australia. Seems hardly worth it!

I would be interested to see your calculations. Are you allowing for tax?

Cpt Crusoe
31st Dec 2016, 07:45
Whether you like it or not the demonstrators in Japan who protested the radiation at Fukushima were quickly marked as domestic terrorists after new laws passed. Each year acceptable levels of radiation are surpassed and a new standard is agreed upon. This is reality that you won't change.

When AJX staff puts an effort into asking the pilot group to complete an anonymous survey to help with pilot recruitment and several use it as an opportunity to post on Facebook every negative detail of their experience; more restrictions are imposed. When others abuse what's permitted through customs and then randomly get caught; more restrictions are imposed. When pilots report for duty intoxicated; more restrictions are imposed.

In the last month our group has been advised to delete all AJX affiliations on Facebook, anticipate a hand wand search and physical pat down with visual inspection of bags each time checking into dispatch or transiting aircraft at our cargo facility hub in Okinawa and finally, the DO now has the duty to individually monitor the health status of each pilot so as to not pose a danger to others in the cockpit.

If you're considering employment here remember your actions affect the entire operation. The methods of leadership might not always be understood but it doesn't take much effort or social skills to adjust and thrive in this environment. Try learning a little Japanese, show your host through words and action your appreciation for their culture, and try making bonds of friendship with the local staff. If you can't do this you'll be phased-out and in the process make everyone's life more difficult.

gtseraf
1st Jan 2017, 08:32
Cpt Crusoe, you are correct, each individual's actions will impact the group. We have seen many new "rules" being introduced to prevent repeats of recent naughtiness by certain individuals, yet there seems to be little effort to punish the individuals.

By all means, follow the advice provided above, BUT, do not allow them to abuse the contract terms and various agreements we have all worked so hard to achieve over the past 15 years or so of operation.

Kraus
1st Jan 2017, 22:31
Whether you like it or not the demonstrators in Japan who protested the radiation at Fukushima were quickly marked as domestic terrorists after new laws passed. Each year acceptable levels of radiation are surpassed and a new standard is agreed upon. This is reality that you won't change.

What has this got to do with the thread?

When AJX staff puts an effort into asking the pilot group to complete an anonymous survey to help with pilot recruitment and several use it as an opportunity to post on Facebook every negative detail of their experience; more restrictions are imposed. When others abuse what's permitted through customs and then randomly get caught; more restrictions are imposed. When pilots report for duty intoxicated; more restrictions are imposed.

'What is your point? Are you willing to suggest another course of action?

In the last month our group has been advised to delete all AJX affiliations on Facebook, anticipate a hand wand search and physical pat down with visual inspection of bags each time checking into dispatch or transiting aircraft at our cargo facility hub in Okinawa and finally, the DO now has the duty to individually monitor the health status of each pilot so as to not pose a danger to others in the cockpit.

'What is so strange about that? Most airlines in the world made significant changes to operations as a result. AJX/ANA would be irresponsible if they didn't.'
The OKA hub had been existing in a security void for years, that's now being addreseed, progress, not punishment is the likely development.
Having a DO responsible is a radical development in Japan, even getting anyone responsible for almost anything is near impossible.

If you're considering employment here remember your actions affect the entire operation. The methods of leadership might not always be understood but it doesn't take much effort or social skills to adjust and thrive in this environment. Try learning a little Japanese, show your host through words and action your appreciation for their culture, and try making bonds of friendship with the local staff. If you can't do this you'll be phased-out and in the process make everyone's life more difficult.

'There's a difference between ANA culture and Japanese culture, it would be advantageous to appreciate that difference. Is the suggestion here, that by not having friends in the office and speaking Japanese, you get "phased out"? Too funny.
Historically, whenever the crews got too friendly with the office staff, the office staff got fired.
Sorry if your life is difficult, you seem to swing from phrases of "thriving", to having a difficult life? Allow me to point out to you; your time at AJX is governed by a group of suited samurai's in Shiodome, not the office girl your your amusing with a "domo arigato"

The guys that AJX respected, walked when management started their current path to oblivion.

Gambate kudasai

gtseraf
4th Jan 2017, 22:59
judging by the sick calls and roster disruption lately, I'd say YES and trending would be a mild word to describe it.

kesskidi
6th Jan 2017, 17:16
I notice the Jet requirement has been reduced to 500 hrs, they must be struggling to entice guys. Is morale still trending South?
is it "transport" jet or just jet time ?
Did you see that on Crew's site ?
thx

jrmyl
8th Jan 2017, 00:36
How about just send an email to the recruitment department for Crew and ask them? That is the only way you will ever get an answer. That is why they are there after all.

booze
10th Jan 2017, 14:57
Gentlemen,

Sorry for bringing this to the B767 thread, but i thought opening a new one wouldn't be worth it (at least for now).

Do you have any news on crewing the shiny new A320/321s? Are they planning on hiring expats on the Airbus fleet in the near future?

Your insights are highly appreciated!

Kind regards,

booze

Absolutely
10th Jan 2017, 21:43
No they are not.
Only option if you must fly A320's in Japan is Peach, Jetstar Japan or Vanilla.
Pay is not very good though.

booze
11th Jan 2017, 06:47
Thanks.

Hopefully they'll start soon.

Just remembering an article couple of years back either on ATW or Flight International about a crisis coming in 2018-2020 when a whole bunch of local skippers are retiring with the Japanese youth not really interested in becoming professional pilots.

Cheers.

Fratemate
11th Jan 2017, 08:43
Do you have any news on crewing the shiny new A320/321s? Are they planning on hiring expats on the Airbus fleet in the near future?

Hopefully they'll start soon.

I know we should never say 'never' but the chances of AJX getting the Airbus as so slim that it's not worth trying to calculate. Look at the aircraft mix and you'll soon realise that IF (note the size of that IF) we do get a type change then it'll almost certainly be the 787. Nobody knows when or how or what will be involved in the introduction of the type and the contract companies are as much use as chocolate fireguards regarding information on our futures but I'm willing to bet quite a few beers that Airbus does not feature in the AJX plans.

bringbackthe80s
11th Jan 2017, 09:03
I think he means let's hope they start hiring foreigners in ANA mainline soon - on the airbus..
Again, never say never.

The Dominican
11th Jan 2017, 09:27
Guys....., say "no" to drugs...., it greatly affects your ability to distinguish reality....!

Said it before and I'll say it again, come to AJX for the commuting conditions and the ability to pick your days off..., come with the expectation to fly the 767 for the duration of your tenure. If you come with those expectations..., the job will work for you.

If your goal is to fly ANY other type..., apply to where they are currently flying that type.

The "stories" about another type have been circulating around here for over a decade now.

booze
11th Jan 2017, 10:49
Sorry Guys, i meant mainline ANA, not AJX.

The Dominican
11th Jan 2017, 11:52
The chances of foreign pilots at mainline ANA are between "Have you lost your mind?" And "No way in hell" and those are the optimistic chances.

booze
11th Jan 2017, 12:21
Thanks. In case something comes up i would really appreciate if you guys would share it here. Cheers

bringbackthe80s
11th Jan 2017, 13:41
The chances of foreign pilots at mainline ANA are between "Have you lost your mind?" And "No way in hell" and those are the optimistic chances.
Ahahaha!
I have to agree that knowing the country it would be "unlikely" let's say.

Luggage
13th Jan 2017, 19:28
Hi all

I have an interview coming up with AJX in February. If I get through that I believe there is a second in Tokyo.

If anybody here with VERY RECENT EXPERIENCE like the last 6 months willing to comment on the technical questions asked and sim check and what to expect especially regarding the use of checklists (read and do or memorise completely) as well as the sim ride itself.

Also most importantly is the fact that the training is 6 to 8 months in Japan. My wife is pregnant with our first child, due in June of this year.

As you can imagine it is a big deal for me. So my question is will they allow my wife to be with me during training as I am nott missing the first 8 months of my new daughters life, no job is worth that. 2 visits just wont cut it.

As mentioned this is for recent experience guys willing to help so please dont tell me to read the entire thread, if you dont want to answer then dont but dont leave a smart a$s comment either.

To those who do I appreciate the help.:ok:

777-200LR
14th Jan 2017, 15:05
Also interested in what Luggage asked

I would imagine you could arrange for your family to be with you during the training. I also have a very young one at home and that would be a deal breaker if they couldn't. 3 weeks away at a time is manageable, 6-8 months, not going to happen!

Thanks to all who contribute to the questions

-200LR

gtseraf
14th Jan 2017, 22:02
I did my course a long time ago, my second child was born during the course, zero sympathy fro the company. The Japanese way of doing things is company first, then family. I expect it is still very much the same.

I'd be very careful bringing a family along during the course, especially young kids. The course is long and demanding of your attention throughout. Having the family there can be a distraction which could affect your chances of success. This issue of the course length has been brought up repeatedly but the company will not consider a change.

If you do bring family along, expect ZERO understanding or compromise from the training side of things.

Possibly some of the newer recruits could clarify things now.

Absolutely
15th Jan 2017, 09:21
Agree with gtseraf,
The performance of some guys who have had their wife/family with them, for an extended period, has suffered. Not saying don't do it just think long and hard about leaving your current gig to fail here because you had a wife and new baby with you.
As gtseraf says, you will not get special treatment or extra days off.

galdian
15th Jan 2017, 10:37
Equally conformity is a huge part of the Japanese psyche - as stated the expectation is company then family and for gaijin the expectation is that families will NOT be present during your training.

If one of your first acts is to NOT conform by bringing the family some will view this neutrally - however some will view this with varying degrees of concern and question your suitability.

Should you strike one of the second group during your training....well in hindsight maybe a problem you created if your path to the final checkride becomes bumpy, maybe even impassable.

Lots to consider!

Broomstick Flier
15th Jan 2017, 21:22
Galdian,

Just out of curiosity, are any gaijins as trainers or TRI/TREs?

Cheers
BF

gtseraf
15th Jan 2017, 22:28
Broom

you'll only see some foreign instructors when you start the OJT/line training/IOE. All the initial sim training, evals, progress checks and checks are conducted by Japanese pilots.

galdian
15th Jan 2017, 22:58
Broom

To put it another way - until Hell Freezes Over you will never see a gaijin in a Checking position in Japanese aviation IMHO.

Cheers.

Broomstick Flier
17th Jan 2017, 12:50
Thanks Galdian, makes perfect sense to me. Somehow I expected that would be the case.

I work (no contract job, full career) for a small but solid cargo outfit, flying 767s, and from time to time I am tempted to leave for this contract job. Still undecided.

Safe flights!

BF

Armani
18th Jan 2017, 02:13
Broomstick:

My advice is to stay far away from this place mate.
This is not a good place to work anymore, and these blokes fail people for no reason. If you have a job stay far away, but if not then we all need to put bread in the table.

Thanks Galdian, makes perfect sense to me. Somehow I expected that would be the case.

I work (no contract job, full career) for a small but solid cargo outfit, flying 767s, and from time to time I am tempted to leave for this contract job. Still undecided.

Safe flights!

BF

Fratemate
18th Jan 2017, 08:55
Armani is right and until they sort out the pay and scheduling I won't be recommending this place to anyone.

Dabbling around with the accommodation allowance is absolutely pathetic and just shows how seriously they're actually taking our comments on the things that do matter. As usual, the contract companies are noticeable by their absence or complete and utter impotence in achieving anything useful.

The days off are okay; no better than that. The business class commuting is great and that needs to be acknowledged. The rest is just really falling behind and every day it gets worse. We spend more time in the ****e country, that is China, than even those pilots based there but get nowhere near the money. We have never had a pay rise in the time I've been here and the contract companies do not give one crap that the cost of living has risen dramatically in all our home countries. They are spineless 'yes' men that do not want to upset the apple cart and actually represent our requirements to AJX/ANA.

I will serve out my contract because I have the 'completion bonus' not too far away but, after that, they'd better sort out the things that matter and stop dicking around on the periphery or else I'll be off to other places.....where I will NEVER have to visit China or hear Chinese ever again. Yes, Nirvana.

If you've got a 'full career' where you are and live at home then stay there. The grass is not greener.

Broomstick Flier
18th Jan 2017, 14:44
Thanks for the insightful posts gents.

I will stay put for the time being and keep an eye on the developments on this contract.

Safe flights!

BF

Kraus
19th Jan 2017, 09:31
Obviously the lizard hasn't been here very long.

As for the accommodation allowance, in 2001 it was $500 I believe and now it's $550. That says a lot about what AJX thinks of their contract staff. And the allowances for training is less now than than 2001! Again, what does that say? As for the recent improvement, it's embarrassing.

If you're thinking of coming here, good ruck.

E165
20th Jan 2017, 03:31
What they said...The company somehow manages to keep adding salt to the injury year after year. It is a fact that we are only considered as second-class hired helps - same as how they consider foreign workers in other industries throughout the country. Why we still have people applying here and go through the training is beyond me. Obviously there must be far worse, third class airline outfits out there I don't know about. As long as we have pilots applying for these crappy, sub-par terms and conditions, the company will never change (come to think of it, they really haven't changed for the past 15 years). I'm still here; so don't know how much weight my statement carries.

Luggage
27th Jan 2017, 19:50
I just binned my interview with AJX. I have been reading this thread and it seems the place is going down.

Pilots are clearly not a happy bunch there and the Js dont seem to accommodating to families during training. I have a baby arriving in June so m=not prepared to miss out on her first year with training and study.

Good luck to all who go but from what I can gather the contract and airline need some big improvements which dont seem to becoming anytime soon.

Im currently flying the Embraer 175 in the US with other interview options in the US, Hong Kong and Europe so it would seem crazy to accept the terms by AJX.

I certainly hope things get better there for the pilots working there. Seems like it could be a great outfit if things change.

xdsport
3rd Feb 2017, 23:56
Does anyone can update jalways rumor?
According to some pilot forum, jalways will start again april this year, but until now I cannot find any further action.
To tell the truth I am waiting AJX FO position, if Jalways will start soon, I wanna know their contact condition.
Two option better than one ^^

The Dominican
4th Feb 2017, 09:00
You and everyone else compadre.......!

gtseraf
5th Feb 2017, 04:56
if nothing is out by now, the chances of an April start are ZERO!

April is the start of the Japanese fiscal year, so, for the eternal optimists, that should be when announcements may be made, Jal, 787, pigs flying, etc!

Vangolf
14th Mar 2017, 05:18
Hi, latest rumor heard is that 787s are coming in April 2018 and a revision of the pay package will be out soon. Btw can anyone who has been thru the medical advise if MRI needs to be done as part of the assessment? Cheers

gtseraf
14th Mar 2017, 12:52
Vangolf, rumours are rumours.

What we know on AJX for a FACT is that the 787 will be introduced in the Summer schedule 2018, so around late March next year.

The info we have been provided is that they will need approx 70 pilots initially, NO direct hire onto the 787. At present approx. 280 pilots total in AJX. The 767 pax ops (now 9.5 airframes) will be scaled down to zero by 2020 BUT the 767 freight operation (11 aeroplanes) will continue indefinitely (obviously the 767 has a shelf life but the old lady has many years in her yet!)

Reading between the lines, any new hire can expect to join on the 767, the options for the 787 will only be available in a few years. However, nothing definite has been announced, so anything can happen.

As far as the improvement in the pay package, well, it is long overdue AND it needs to be considerable, but not hearing anything about it here yet.

Apart from that nothing has changed here recently, so the rosy picture may well be a clever sales pitch!:=

Vangolf
14th Mar 2017, 13:26
Hi gtseraf, thanks for sharing the latest realtime info, and I bet most likely you are right, especially on the sales pitch part.:ok: After all, nothing is certain till we see the terms in black and white. But at the very least, you guys will have something to look forward to for next year, a chance to fly the gleaming shiny 787s. We all live on hope dun we?

jrmyl
14th Mar 2017, 13:37
As I've said many times, I don't care what or how shiny the plane is I fly. Just pay me more. The type of plane makes no difference.

The Dominican
14th Mar 2017, 18:48
Pay MUST be looked at......, the contract has fallen behind and the competition is making very good offers. Instead of just deleting the emails from the headhunters, people are reading them with interest.

We don't know how they will implement the new type but pay must be part of the plan...!

atldrvr
15th Mar 2017, 00:43
My two main issues right now with the 787 coming on board:

1. Pay has to be increased. Too many other opportunities available with either more money or more time at home. For me to renew my contract there has to be a pay increase otherwise I am definitely looking at leaving. I do not care if I ever fly the 787, just want time off and money.

2. The training plan is unacceptable. 2-3 months of ground school and sim. Home for 10-14 days then back for another 2 months of OJT. That is a hard sell to the family just to fly a new type of airplane. If the company offered a pay increase or maybe a bonus when training was complete then maybe I would go for it but as it stands now why would I leave my family for around 5 months just to fly the 787.

jrmyl
15th Mar 2017, 00:59
The time away is something that this company does not seem to grasp. When they are in training, they still get to go home at the end of the day, so it is no big deal to them. They just can't grasp that it is different for us.

As to the pay, it needs to go up across the board. It should not be dependent on the airframe.

gtseraf
15th Mar 2017, 02:10
Gentlemen, I trust you are making these points directly to those who make these decisions. The more they hear directly from the pilots, the more likely they MAY be to adjust these policies.

jrmyl
15th Mar 2017, 04:53
I thought that was the purpose of our Group (dear) Leaders?!?! So they wouldn't be bothered with all of our complaints.:mad:

gtseraf
15th Mar 2017, 04:59
no harm in adding a few extra voices ;)

I know the leaders are doing their best.

The Dominican
15th Mar 2017, 10:11
I gave up trying to talk to the pilot group about this...., I brought the issue of pay on the group chat and the koolaid junkies got their panties rolled up in a knot.

I just took it directly to the company, the pay needs to be addressed.

gtseraf
15th Mar 2017, 12:13
sadly, a well thought out argument will not work. The only way things will happen is when aeroplanes are parked due a shortage of pilots.

Stranger things have happened!

Armani
17th Mar 2017, 06:49
It seems the Koolaid consumption has reached a critical level for some of the blokes dreaming of the B787 and even speculating that JAZ will return.
It is advisable to decrease the level of Koolaid mixed with high cabin pressure altitudes. LOL

My two main issues right now with the 787 coming on board:

1. Pay has to be increased. Too many other opportunities available with either more money or more time at home. For me to renew my contract there has to be a pay increase otherwise I am definitely looking at leaving. I do not care if I ever fly the 787, just want time off and money.

2. The training plan is unacceptable. 2-3 months of ground school and sim. Home for 10-14 days then back for another 2 months of OJT. That is a hard sell to the family just to fly a new type of airplane. If the company offered a pay increase or maybe a bonus when training was complete then maybe I would go for it but as it stands now why would I leave my family for around 5 months just to fly the 787.

charley330
5th Apr 2017, 14:47
hi everyone.
I have pretty much read through every page in this thread, filtering out technical questions and interview details.

Thing is, I'm wondering if anyone here knows whether the FAA FTP written exam questions (done in 2012, and stated twice in this thread) are current and whether it will be applied during the following interviews in Japan?

Thanks.

jrmyl
18th Apr 2017, 21:40
Yes and No. I know of around 10 guys who are leaving within the next 3-4 months.
They try to have a course every other month. Rumour is that the July course is empty.
No. If anything it is getting worse.

Machpoint89
20th Apr 2017, 02:12
hi everyone.
I have pretty much read through every page in this thread, filtering out technical questions and interview details.

Thing is, I'm wondering if anyone here knows whether the FAA FTP written exam questions (done in 2012, and stated twice in this thread) are current and whether it will be applied during the following interviews in Japan?

Thanks.

Just did it the other day.

Stuff like:

- In turbulent jetstream, which way do you go to get out of it if the ambient temp. decreases or increases

- extended over water operations require what equipment?

- define the speed at which point a take off should be continued in order to reach a safe altitude above the departure end of the runway

the rest were like the questions previously posted, but I was told this wasn't graded.

My personal opinion is focus more on the SIM. It's all about the SIM. If you haven't flown wide body or come from a more modern glass cockpit you will have difficulty with the scan for sure! If you want the job I would HIGHLY recommend getting an hour in the sim prior to the assessment.

drop24
20th Apr 2017, 23:11
How do the duty days and working conditions compare to say, a North American legacy carrier? I'm interested in flying in Japan but am concerned that their work culture will trickle down to even the ex-pat pilots. Though I'm sure they don't get it as bad as the locals. So what is a typical month like as an Air Japan pilot?

gtseraf
20th Apr 2017, 23:31
Drop, if the Bush you are located in allows you access to the major US carriers, don't even think about coming here, the majors will offer far better career options. We have had Captains in their late 40's and early 50's resign from Air Japan to join majors as new hires. They have crunched the numbers and the total package until retirement will be better at the majors and the retirement benefits will be better. THAT should say more than enough!

I understand that duty limits allowed in Air Japan exceed those allowed by the FAA, so expect to have duties and schedules which are worse than FAA airlines.

The Dominican
21st Apr 2017, 11:10
I understand that duty limits allowed in Air Japan exceed those allowed by the FAA, so expect to have duties and schedules which are worse than FAA airlines.

Well......, technically the regulations are the same..., if anything the regs for cargo pilots are actuallg worse than what Japan has adopted under the ICAO norm.

However....., the difference (and it is big) is the duty and trip rigs thag are included on each airline's contract with their pilots. In the US, you have the option of working as much or as little as you like and you have options on bases and A/C fleets.

Here in Japan, outside of opting out of the C class ticket and banking on the 2K....., there is no way to make extra cash, and there are no protections for pilots in case of checkride failures and the likes.

The truth be told, they don't treat us bad really (using other contracts as guidline) but if you have an opportunity to get with a major in the US...., there is no logical nor practical reason as to why you would come to AJX.

drop24
25th Apr 2017, 21:50
Thanks for the replies. My concerns wasn't financial but more geared towards how much you have to work for that money. I've lived in Japan for 6 years and have seen firsthand what their work culture does to people. So what's a typical month like at Air Japan in terms of duty days compared to a North American carrier.

gtseraf
25th Apr 2017, 23:11
I reckon it is difficult to DIRECTLY compare duty months in AJX to a US carrier.

If one lives in the US, it can be reasonably assumed that one will commute to and from Japan once a month. So, every month, the body clock will be reset from local US time to Japan time (sort of) and back to US time.

I say "sort of" because the schedules in Japan jump from day to night flying, so one's normal rhythms are disturbed continuously.

With the days off being rostered in one block every month, the company tries to get the full month's productivity out of the pilots in the remaining time. Expect to fly 6 on 1 off for the 18 days in a month AND during that time expect to flip flop from day trips to multi sector night flights, duty days ranging from around 8 hours up to 14 hours. Total hours flown may be less than in the US but fatigue and lifestyle very much affected by this.

If one has a family at home or enjoys hobbies at home, this commuting lifestyle can be very demanding.

A common complaint/comment I hear from pilots who commute from Europe or the USA is that they are continuously tired from the constant disruption of their sleep cycles. Even guys who live in Australia are battling with this due to the existing scheduling practices.

ONCE AGAIN, let me repeat, CAPTAINS in their late 40's and early 50's are LEAVING AJX to join the majors as new hire junior FO's. They say that the first year or 2 will be at lower pay BUT they will be earning more in around 3 years and the expected earnings and LIFESTYLE for the rest of their careers are expected to be much better than what AJX can offer. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

NOW, if AJX started a system of reverse rostering crews out of bases in the US, Europe and Australia, with 6 day trips, providing a work schedule similar to a normal long haul operation + giving the option for those who like/want to do the present commute style schedule, WELL, that would make this on of the better jobs in my opinion.

Oh yes, this would also save the company a fortune on their commuting costs and the stability of the workforce would also save them a fortune on training costs. These savings could then be used to increase salaries. NOW we are talking about a job which will attract so many applicants, the company would be spoiled for choice.

drop24
27th Apr 2017, 01:27
Thanks for you detailed response. I have the ability to live in Japan full time on a spouse visa. Do you think that would help with the fatigue issue from commuting or would the day/night shift changes mess you up just as badly? 14 hour duty days is not something I'd ever like to do again. How often does that happen?

gtseraf
27th Apr 2017, 02:46
not sure how living locally will affect things.

the mix of duty times is probably worse than the odd long day, for me.

drop24
28th Apr 2017, 01:39
Do you think the day/night shift changes at Air Japan are much worse than what one would experience at a North American carrier?

gtseraf
28th Apr 2017, 02:41
ok drop24

it seems you are either waiting for someone to make the decision for you or you have another agenda.

you keep on trying to compare north American carriers.

Bottom line is that the pilots are LEAVING AJX to JOIN north American carriers, so that must be indicating that the north American carriers are better than AJX. Also very few, if any new joiners are coming from the States.

I'm not sure what your agenda is but I think your questions have been answered enough for you to make a decision.

drop24
28th Apr 2017, 14:23
Well my situation isn't so cut and dry. I'm Canadian so I'm not going to have access all the great things that are currently happening south of the border for pilots. For us it's business as usual and you wouldn't even know we've recovered from 9/11 based on wages at our national carrier. Like I mentioned I have lived in Japan for an extended period and I have ties here with my wife and in-laws. I choose to live in Japan above all places. You've mentioned duty days between 8-14 hours and some day/night shift changes. That's great info but I'm still a little vague on the details. 8 hours are no problem. 14 not so much if it happens often. Same with the night shifts. Do you work there or is there anyone else that could outline what a typical month or rotation is like? Instead of comparing it to an American carrier perhaps it would be easier to compare to something like Cathay or Emirates in terms of how hard they work you?

Fratemate
28th Apr 2017, 14:58
It's not so much the total hours for the month but the seeming inability of the schedulers to grasp a few basic concepts. For instance, a 24 hour layover is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike when you arrive after a two sector freighter pattern NRT-XMN-OKA at 0400 and then you're out the same time the next day for another two sectors. 0400 means you're in the hotel (hopefully) by 0500 and trying to sleep. IF you're not woken by shouting Chinese tourists in your hotel (very, very unlikely you won't be) then you'll maybe sleep until 1100 or even 1200 if you're lucky. Then it's off to bed early, even though you don't feel like it and toss and turn until 0100. Having just drifted off, the alarm goes at 0330 and now you switch from your evening into night/early morning flight of yesterday into early morning/day flight of Okinawa....somewhere in China AGAIN and then back to NRT. Next night it starts all over again and then you get to have a day off in NRT after those 6 days/nights of continuous f*%king around. The schedulers singularly fail to grasp the concept of 18 or 36 hour sleep patterns and we are returning to the bad old days of post AJV/AJX joining, where the scheduling went for a complete bag of worms.

In addition, since we got our 'new' head scheduler they seem to have lost the ability (i.e. the selfish chap is probably telling them to do so) to finish early on our last day and start late(ish) on the first day of duty. SO many guys are now missing their commutes home on their last days or having to arrive back in Japan a day early that it is seriously affecting our senses of humour. It has only happened since this bloke arrived and never used to be the case, so he needs a firm size 12 up his backside.

China, China, China, China. Days into nights and back into days, all within three days. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. It's getting very, very tiresome. TD and GT get to see a lot more of the less-fatiguing pax flying than the rest of us and even they are fed up, so imagine what it's like for we who get one pax trip every two months.

Yep, really am at the limit of my tether and can't see myself staying.

Broomstick Flier
28th Apr 2017, 19:08
Fratemate,

Not a nice picture, indeed. I currently have my disagreements with my scheduling (also a freight ops) but not so bad as you mention.

How is freight vs pax flying divided?

Good luck!

The Dominican
28th Apr 2017, 19:40
How is freight vs pax flying divided?

Let me get the popcorn.... I have a feeling that the response will become an instant classic.

jrmyl
28th Apr 2017, 19:57
No one really knows how the flying is distributed. If you are an instructor then you will do more pax flying. If you are a regular person then you will do almost all freight flying. If you are a suck up then you can choose what you want and damn all the rest of us. :mad:

Broomstick Flier
28th Apr 2017, 21:37
I got the drift .. Better not open that Pandora Box

Thanks for the quick reply

Fratemate
28th Apr 2017, 23:40
As jrmyl said, if you're an instructor then you do more pax flying because the guys going through OJT do most of their flying on the pax aircraft.

Of my last 60 sectors, 12 were pax. A convenient 20% I thought :)

I think most people prefer the actual freight flying and not having the extra hassle that the pax flying entails. However, it's the fatiguing nature of the freighter scheduling that is riling everyone at the moment and it's only getting worse.

galdian
29th Apr 2017, 00:46
drop24

Sorry but seems you're making something very simple into something incredibly difficult.

You say you've lived in Japan and want to continue living in Japan so you have an understanding of the psyche and I assume realise that if you go flying in Japan - in any airline - you'll be at the cutting edge of 1960's methodology and thinking.

Sounds like USA's not an option...so why are you bothering to bang on about it?

You've got up to 5 companies looking for experienced Captains, minimum 2 looking for F/O's all with different deals/basings/types etc.

Bite the bullet, do your homework, get a job in an open market, get the licence, get some time on type...then decide whether you like it/hate it/look at changing companies...whatever.
Or don't have a go.

Simple as that, really. ;)

And IF during your homework you find the "perfect" job...please feel free to PM!
I'll await your PM with great anticipation! :ok:

Best of Luck, Cheers.

drop24
29th Apr 2017, 01:31
Thanks for all the responses. I'm definitely still in the homework stage and scrapping together whatever info I can get. There seems to be a few Japan based pilots here so I'll ask if anyone knows what's happening with ANA Wings? I've got a chunk of Dash time and maybe banging a Q around at a regional might be more conducive to catching those very important zzzzz's.

galdian
29th Apr 2017, 01:57
If you have jet command you'd be crazy not to have a serious look at Skymark - for no other reason than the opportunity to get 737 time.
Apart from some limited summer ops (unless things have changed) no ops between 2400 and 0530 which is a plus.

Of course if no applicable jet time then another story.
Cheers.

Fratemate
29th Apr 2017, 06:51
There seems to be a few Japan based pilots here so I'll ask if anyone knows what's happening with ANA Wings?

I draw you attention to the topic of this thread and the lack of 'creep' so far. Please create a new thread if you want to know details of operators other than AJX.

dogtired
16th May 2017, 11:12
https://youtu.be/IoUEDSotF4Q

767 MCP up close

VHFRT
21st May 2017, 07:40
I'm looking to leave one of the aussie majors (you'll never guess which one) for this contract.

Can anyone post (or PM me) an average roster?

FooFighter
21st May 2017, 09:20
I'm looking to leave one of the aussie majors (you'll never guess which one) for this contract.

Can anyone post (or PM me) an average roster?

I would be very interested to see a current roster as well:rolleyes:

MichaelBluth
29th May 2017, 13:02
Rumor mill from a friend at NCA is that AJX lost 21 pilots last month (or something close to that). Any truth? What gives?

Hobbit
30th May 2017, 08:39
Excellent scheduling, interesting destinations and the payrise Michael, simple formula.

Fratemate
30th May 2017, 11:16
Rumor mill from a friend at NCA is that AJX lost 21 pilots last month (or something close to that).

Hobbit has hit on the reasons why and there are significant numbers leaving or have left, certainly compared to the past. But, 21 is a complete load of garbage, as is 'something close to that' and it does us no good whatsoever to have silly numbers bandied around that bear no resemblance to the truth. If we come out with nonsense then any of the Company or agency stooges that read these threads just laugh at the ridiculous rumours and fail to take any notice of the genuine concerns and reasons for people leaving. In a company that is as small as AJX if two pilots left in one month it would be significant and if that happened for two or three months then it would be huge enough for any stooge to sit up and take notice. We DO have those sort of numbers leaving and the reasons DO need to be addressed. Those are real numbers, 21 (or close) is just complete rubbish.

MichaelBluth
30th May 2017, 12:41
Hobbit has hit on the reasons why and there are significant numbers leaving or have left, certainly compared to the past. But, 21 is a complete load of garbage, as is 'something close to that' and it does us no good whatsoever to have silly numbers bandied around that bear no resemblance to the truth. If we come out with nonsense then any of the Company or agency stooges that read these threads just laugh at the ridiculous rumours and fail to take any notice of the genuine concerns and reasons for people leaving. In a company that is as small as AJX if two pilots left in one month it would be significant and if that happened for two or three months then it would be huge enough for any stooge to sit up and take notice. We DO have those sort of numbers leaving and the reasons DO need to be addressed. Those are real numbers, 21 (or close) is just complete rubbish.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to spread false rumors or stir the pot, I was just genuinely interested. NCA has lost a significant amount of pilots in the last six months (I was one of them), causing concern over there for very similar reasons.

flyer142
2nd Jun 2017, 08:08
Having just recently been through Course, I have to say that the advertised time off for a new hire going through the initial course is definitely NOT what was presented to us when the initial enrolment began. Having days off at home before a 6 month period will not happen, and when the Initial training period ends, you'll get home for 8-10 days, then back to Narita for a Minimum of 2 months. In total - 8 months in Tokyo/Narita, and this is the Minimum amount of time needed to complete the 767 course for a non rated pilot. Parc and Crew are very misleading in advertising the time off during training. (we were told home after 3 months) then back for 2...

Buyer beware - although the gig seems to be good once you hit the line, but have your family prepared for 3/4 of a year of misery.

Iznogood
2nd Jun 2017, 09:44
flyer142, your feedback is of paramount importance! Thank you!

VHFRT
2nd Jun 2017, 17:49
What exactly happens during this massive training period to make it take so long?
My previous type rating (also a wide body Boeing) was completed fairly quickly, and that's even with a few days off in the middle of the course. I was back home after 5 weeks which included company inductions and other related courses. I don't get how a 767 rating can be so complex.

flyer142
2nd Jun 2017, 23:23
It's not only the type rating mate. The JCAB requires Air Law, Radio Law, and several other tick the box items, even when you come across with an ATP. That in itself takes a month. Then the company training starts followed by another month of CBT - then the over 10 flat panel sims, and 17 simulator sessions for the type rating. Once you finally achieve the type rating - wait for it - another 6 sims for the ATP conversion. That's at the 6 month mark. Once that's completed you do a medical, and English exam (another tick the box JCAB) then you get home for 9 days. Returning to NRT you attend another 3 weeks of ground school, route FAM stuff, then do 3 more sims, then do line training, which brings you to at least another 2 months, thus totalling roughly 8 months with 9 days at home - though I must add several days off in Tokyo in between Sims/groundschool.

Newcomer2
3rd Jun 2017, 12:27
:eek::eek::eek:

Machpoint89
4th Jun 2017, 03:53
Hey guys,

Thanks to al for the valuable posts. Been reading here for a while.
I have some questions and hope someone has some info.

ANY guys/gals here with CReW from the US, but not residing in the US?

Looking to see what taxes are deducted by CReW to give me an idea. If anyone is brave enough to PM me a figure or post a percentage it would be greatly appreciated. :ok:

* on a side note: I know CReW is a US company and I also hold a US passport (Dual Citizen), but my assumption was I would not have monthly taxes withheld if not residing in the US (thought it would be my own responsibility at the end of the year.

gtseraf
4th Jun 2017, 05:49
one should not forget to mention the mental and emotional stress involved with this marathon training session. Be very prepared for this, otherwise the stress will eat you up.

gtseraf
4th Jun 2017, 07:41
machpoint89

speak to a tax accountant who knows his stuff about this, don't rely on a rumour forum for this kind of thing. The penalties, if you get it wrong, are not worth it.

Machpoint89
4th Jun 2017, 08:41
machpoint89

speak to a tax accountant who knows his stuff about this, don't rely on a rumour forum for this kind of thing. The penalties, if you get it wrong, are not worth it.

Understood was hoping to get a ballpark figure. Thanks for the reply and will contact a CPA/Tax accountant

767 Autopilot
6th Jun 2017, 01:55
If you hold a USA passport, then CReW will deduct normal US taxes (Federal, Social Security and Medicare). I does not matter where you live.
I you are a resident of another country, and a US Citizen, you get the first $105,000 (about) tax free and rest is taxed as if you made the whole amount.
But to get this "Foreign Earned Income Exemption" you need to file a tax return and get a refund.
Of course you can set extra exemptions on your W-4 to have less deducted
We have many different plans going for taxes depending on your accountant.
Get an accountant specializing in expat taxes, it will cost $400-800 per year but will save a ton on a long run, and keep you out of trouble.

Yuko
9th Jul 2017, 01:54
What does the pay scale look like for a Captain after his first 5 year contract?

I see five year Captain on their website pays $17,511 a month for year 5. What about year 6 and beyond?

Fratemate
9th Jul 2017, 10:21
Haha, I'd love to know where those numbers come from.

I'm quite significantly more than 5 years and my pay slip says:

Standard rate (for a captain): 12768
Experience pay (how long you've been there): 1062
Accommodation: 550
Per diem (it's called something else but we know what this means): 976

So, that's 15356

They'll doubtless argue about additions, so let's look at those.

I get a 1000 pension addition that then is deducted for a pension contribution.

There are additional hotel/accommodation allowances depending on exchange rates and the difference in what the hotel is charging and what they're paying. This is subjected to the most complicated formula known to man and nobody understands it. The main point being is that it is only an addition to make up for shoddy exchange rates and the fact that they don't pay you enough in the first place to pay your hotel bill.....so you're not getting any extra, just what should come under the accommodation part of your salary.

There are landing allowances paid only to captains. Basically it's $80 when you do a double landing in the crappy hours of the morning. It's supposed to make up for the $500/month they stole from the AJV captains when they combined the companies but it doesn't and is a complete farce. You might see an extra $240/month on a normal month.

They are probably factoring in the $2000 commuting allowance but if you use the C class option then that is removed entirely from your salary. If you slum it down the back of economy on standby and pocket an extra $1000/month after tax, then well done you and thanks for giving the company the idea that commuting long distances in that manner is acceptable.

If you use the C class option and get all the allowances above then your pay check will say closer to 16220 and that's > than a 5 year captain.

The basic answer to your query, though, is that the basic salary does increase after 5 years and you'll be able to be able to buy an extra $20/month of beer on that HUGE increase. Don't go spending it all at once and don't believe the obvious bu*#%^it that's being promulgated on the agency websites.

Yuko
9th Jul 2017, 11:12
Thanks for the detailed reply. The figure was off of CREW website under their application for Captains.

Yuko
9th Jul 2017, 11:19
Haha, I'd love to know where those numbers come from.

I'm quite significantly more than 5 years and my pay slip says:

Standard rate (for a captain): 12768
Experience pay (how long you've been there): 1062
Accommodation: 550
Per diem (it's called something else but we know what this means): 976

So, that's 15356

They'll doubtless argue about additions, so let's look at those.

I get a 1000 pension addition that then is deducted for a pension contribution.

There are additional hotel/accommodation allowances depending on exchange rates and the difference in what the hotel is charging and what they're paying. This is subjected to the most complicated formula known to man and nobody understands it. The main point being is that it is only an addition to make up for shoddy exchange rates and the fact that they don't pay you enough in the first place to pay your hotel bill.....so you're not getting any extra, just what should come under the accommodation part of your salary.

There are landing allowances paid only to captains. Basically it's $80 when you do a double landing in the crappy hours of the morning. It's supposed to make up for the $500/month they stole from the AJV captains when they combined the companies but it doesn't and is a complete farce. You might see an extra $240/month on a normal month.

They are probably factoring in the $2000 commuting allowance but if you use the C class option then that is removed entirely from your salary. If you slum it down the back of economy on standby and pocket an extra $1000/month after tax, then well done you and thanks for giving the company the idea that commuting long distances in that manner is acceptable.

If you use the C class option and get all the allowances above then your pay check will say closer to 16220 and that's > than a 5 year captain.

The basic answer to your query, though, is that the basic salary does increase after 5 years and you'll be able to be able to buy an extra $20/month of beer on that HUGE increase. Don't go spending it all at once and don't believe the obvious bu*#%^it that's being promulgated on the agency websites.

And off of this website
https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=HACS&cws=39&rid=12

Thanks

gtseraf
11th Jul 2017, 04:39
it seems as if prospective employers for many contracts are quite happy to quote total package as the pay check, not mentioning that accomodation, meals, commuting, tax, pension, etc. etc. etc. comes off that "paycheck". Frate has it very spot on.

Kraus
11th Jul 2017, 10:27
The agency's are under pressure to provide more crews, they have to provide more money, its that simple. Now we have staff shortages, the Captains might get a lift in salary by more multiple midnight landings!

gtseraf
11th Jul 2017, 11:25
hmmm?? possibly it is the multiple midnight landings which are a root cause of the shortage??

Mister Geezer
13th Jul 2017, 12:13
I just got a random email from Parc (never contacted them before) via linkedin about AJX.

I didn't realise that they were that short? :eek:

flyer142
13th Jul 2017, 14:15
They are pulling at everything that they can at the moment. They simply aren't finding qualified candidates anymore to fill courses.

bringbackthe80s
13th Jul 2017, 14:23
I' ve said it before, but I think when (if) the aircraft type changes they' ll have a long line of applicants..

gtseraf
13th Jul 2017, 23:09
They are simply not finding qualified candidates WHO ARE PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE CONDITIONS anymore to fill courses.

There are many very qualified people out there, this contract just does not offer enough to entice them. By enough, I mean money, lifestyle, conditions, schedules etc, etc.

The plan appears to be for the 767 to stay for a long time, so newhires would probably get the 767 not any new type. Once again, that would not be a problem, IF THE DEAL WAS ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH

Kraus
14th Jul 2017, 03:30
AJX are still running courses and all the expansion plans are being trimmed to perfection, it's just that no one is on the courses.

'Speculation' the B787 will be delayed due crew availability.

gtseraf
14th Jul 2017, 03:47
courses are happening, not every course is full but every 2 months, 6 new guys started in July

bringbackthe80s
14th Jul 2017, 08:00
They are simply not finding qualified candidates WHO ARE PREPARED TO ACCEPT THE CONDITIONS anymore to fill courses.

There are many very qualified people out there, this contract just does not offer enough to entice them. By enough, I mean money, lifestyle, conditions, schedules etc, etc.

The plan appears to be for the 767 to stay for a long time, so newhires would probably get the 767 not any new type. Once again, that would not be a problem, IF THE DEAL WAS ATTRACTIVE ENOUGH

I agree with this, but just to give another point of view..
I understand what you say that conditions should be improved given they haven't in the last years.

But even so in the current market where there's many many high paying jobs on modern jets in Asia (and a lot of guys I hear wrongly look at Asia without differenciating between countries), people are asked to train almost one year for a very old aircraft which, unless you are close enough to retirement, will give you very little options afterwards.

All of this in a company (ANA) with beautiful types and routes...you will agree with me that if the company wants to expand and needs experienced pilots, then something has to give..

galdian
14th Jul 2017, 13:11
Just how much of the "problem" can be laid before AJX/ANA??

JCAB only retains supreme relevance whilst they maintain their supreme dominance.

The only reason the retirement age has increased over the last 5 years or so is that ALL airlines, especially the "new" LCC's - who must be perceived to be supported by the government agencies - are having trouble maintaining operations due lack of experienced crews (read "captains").

Until ALL airlines complain to the government/agencies regards their impending doom due lack of suitable applicants (in this case caused by historically inefficient times to obtain a JCAB licence/line clearance) nothing will change.

Q: do new JCAB licence applicants still have to do the 3-5 day radio course of how waves fly through the air like back in the 1950/60's (and pass the all important test of course)before they can obtain their radio licence?

If the answer is "yes" - that tells you all you need to understand about the evolution/modernisation of the Japanese licence process.

Cheers. :ok:

flyer142
14th Jul 2017, 13:41
Just how much of the "problem" can be laid before AJX/ANA??

JCAB only retains supreme relevance whilst they maintain their supreme dominance.

The only reason the retirement age has increased over the last 5 years or so is that ALL airlines, especially the "new" LCC's - who must be perceived to be supported by the government agencies - are having trouble maintaining operations due lack of experienced crews (read "captains").

Until ALL airlines complain to the government/agencies regards their impending doom due lack of suitable applicants (in this case caused by historically inefficient times to obtain a JCAB licence/line clearance) nothing will change.

Q: do new JCAB licence applicants still have to do the 3-5 day radio course of how waves fly through the air like back in the 1950/60's (and pass the all important test of course)before they can obtain their radio licence?

If the answer is "yes" - that tells you all you need to understand about the evolution/modernisation of the Japanese licence process.

Cheers. :ok:

the answer is in fact YES

Icarus2001
15th Jul 2017, 02:33

Do they want you to operate a radio or build one?

drop24
16th Jul 2017, 08:47
Do any of the AJX pilots here just stay in Japan year round? I imagine some have married Japanese citizens and now have permanent residency rights. Are you able to bank the money that would otherwise go towards your commuting tickets and hotel accommodations?

What about the possibility of applying at ANA mainline if you have a spousal work visa or even become a naturalized citizen of Japan?

The Dominican
17th Jul 2017, 00:19
Do any of the AJX pilots here just stay in Japan year round?
Yes....., for the same reasons you mentioned but the company will not sponsor residency cards.

Are you able to bank the money that would otherwise go towards your commuting tickets and hotel accommodations?
Yes....., you will get 2,000 if the C Class is not used.

What about the possibility of applying at ANA mainline if you have a spousal work visa or even become a naturalized citizen of Japan?

NOPE.

Broomstick Flier
17th Jul 2017, 00:27
Do they want you to operate a radio or build one?

Icarus,

You owe me a new keyboard ... I just covered mine with coffee :O:O:ok:

jrwhitehat
17th Jul 2017, 20:29
Describe how NDB radio waves are affected when passing from over water to over land.

Describe the design characteristics of the superheterodyne receiver.

:eek:

No joke!

Having said that nobody fails..........(mostly)

Hobbit
19th Jul 2017, 11:21
Thank you jrwhitehat. And that ladies and gentleman, is as relevant as the eight months of 'training' here gets.

B757UK
19th Jul 2017, 12:55
So having read every page of this thread (so don't shoot me down for asking questions ;) ) I've weighed up the pros and cons for my situation and decided that the AJX commuting contract is something I want to do. This thread has answered all my questions about the job itself a long with the very nice lady from CAE Parc. However I was hoping some of you on here that are in the know could give some advice on the best way for me to get there......

I am currently rated on the 757/767 and operate the 757-200. I have approx 2000TT and 400 Jet (all 757). Due to the fact that I only get to fly around 350 hours a year (if I'm lucky) with my current operator and I work on the side as a ME IR CPL instructor for around another 300 hours a year in about 18 months time I should have around 3000TT and 1000 Jet - meeting Air Japan's minimum requirements (I understand a lot of applicants have many more hours).

On the other hand I have the chance to transfer fleet within my current operator on to the 737. I much prefer the 757 fleet for a variety of reasons but on the 737 I'll probably fly around 600 hours a year - with the 300 or so instructing on the side I would have around 3000TT and and 1000 Jet in 12 months rather than 18.

So my question is really are either of the above options preferable to the other for the AJX application. After reading this thread and various other websites, talking to CAE and of course discussing with my family AJX has become my objective and therefore would take whichever of the above two options you guys think would serve me best. If there isn't much difference I might stick with the 757 as I'm enjoying flying it!

The Dominican
19th Jul 2017, 15:49
@757UK

I would suggest for you to apply with your current experience......, although in "paper" you don't meet the minimums, they are finding it hard to fill classes. Just put your application in and you can always update later.

B757UK
19th Jul 2017, 15:54
@The Dominican - thanks for the reply!

Speaking to the lady at CAE who takes care of the AJX contract she suggested I don't bother until I have the 3000TT - with it being CAE who I would have to apply through that might make it difficult? Any suggestions?

Also I'm bonded to the current employer to the tune of around 17,000GBP on a sliding scale for around the next 12 months....

If I were to stay at the current place until I have the 3000TT and no bond - which of the 2 options above do you think would put me in the best position for AJX if either?

767 Autopilot
20th Jul 2017, 14:02
I am quite sure that the 3000 total is a hard JCAB requirement for you to be eligible for the Japanese ATPL transition course. So it should not matter which agency you use. Get the 3000 total ASAP and apply. If I was you, change to the 737, get the time and let the bond dry out, then apply.

B757UK
20th Jul 2017, 16:40
@767 Autopilot .... I thought that might be the case re the JCAB. I spoke to the current company about switching to the 737 and it turns out they'd want to restart the clock on a 3 year bond if I switched ..... no thanks!

Will just have to up the FI hours in my spare time and hope for some generous rostering at work!

Hobbit
23rd Jul 2017, 04:57
B757UK there was a pilot here who left as soon as he possibly could to return to Jet2. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. Might be worth having an ask around to hear his perspective on things before you jump ship?

B757UK
23rd Jul 2017, 10:48
@Hobbit I haven't come across this person yet so I'll see if I can figure out who that is and speak to them, unless you could just let me know somehow?

Unless they tell me something much worse to the things I've read in here I do think it is something I would like to apply for (whether I get it or not is a whole different matter).

Are there things that haven't been discussed in here that you would say I need to have in mind?

Kraus
24th Jul 2017, 00:05
Yes and yes...

Machpoint89
28th Jul 2017, 07:23
I sense a lot of disturbance in "the force" I understand people's frustrations and genetically by design we are ment to complain. We all have different reasons for taking or leaving jobs. (I'm giving up left seat 777 for this so I know some of you might cringe at that)

Was mainly wondering any POSITIVE feedback here? From the people I have personally met they seem quite happy!

The Dominican
28th Jul 2017, 15:06

767 Autopilot

I am quite sure that the 3000 total is a hard JCAB requirement for you to be eligible for the Japanese ATPL transition course

This was my understanding as well but we've had folks in training with less than this magic number, hence my advice to apply and see what happens, you can always update the app.... These are interesting times.

@Machpoint89.. Like in every job there are good things along with the bad T&C's MUST be improved, that is a fact.
Scheduling is a major issue as well.

But averall a great pilot group to fly with (we do have our 5%) the ability ti choose your days off and C class commute are good things about this gig. At the end of the day it works for some and not for others.

Come for the interview, find some of us in any watering hole in NRT, there are always a couple of us around and ask many questions.

Good luck

iggle piggle
28th Jul 2017, 15:46
Hi B757UK, I guess i'm the bloke that the Hobbit mentioned, pm me if you like. Kanpai.

Machpoint89
29th Jul 2017, 10:59
I'd send you a PM, but looks like my brain isn't working today. Can't find that option. Thanks for the info!

Like in every job there are good things along with the bad T&C's MUST be improved, that is a fact.
Scheduling is a major issue as well.

But averall a great pilot group to fly with (we do have our 5%) the ability ti choose your days off and C class commute are good things about this gig. At the end of the day it works for some and not for others.

Come for the interview, find some of us in any watering hole in NRT, there are always a couple of us around and ask many questions.

Good luck

meowyplaney
31st Jul 2017, 16:00
Would being fluent in Japanese and having a work visa for Japan help? I don't even have my CFI yet (faa commercial ASEL 400TT 23yo) but once I have the 3000TT and the 500Jet I would be pretty interested in this gig. Bonus if the 787 comes online before too long.

Fratemate
1st Aug 2017, 07:55
Would being fluent in Japanese and having a work visa for Japan help?

No.

Most of us aren't and nobody else has one.

flyer142
1st Aug 2017, 14:54
Being fluent in Japanese would almost prove to be a detriment! Wouldn't be fun now - if the trainers knew you could understand them!!

AlphaEcho86
17th Aug 2017, 06:23
Any chance to apply for low timers (200 TT, FI rating, Frozen ATPL/CPL) ? Or is the 3000 hours TT & 500 jet a legal requirement by the JCAB for licence conversion?

Fratemate
17th Aug 2017, 10:25
200 TT, FI rating, Frozen ATPL/CPL

Not even close mate.

J3CubGuy
29th Sep 2017, 06:03
I have been very interested in AJX for the last 2 years and I have been building my time. I live on Guam with my Japanese wife and I travel to Japan on a monthly basis. I would like to live in Japan full time. I am currently a Captain on an ATR42 flying in Micronesia for Cape Air as United Express. I have just over 3000 hours TT 1500 121 and around 150 hours pic in 121 turbine. the web sight says no prop time. Is that a hard core no go? Do i have a chance without jet time? Have the hired anyone without Jet time. I really don't want to quit my job just to get 500 jet time.

thanks!

Lepo
29th Sep 2017, 12:15
I received this email from CAE Parc Aviation

New Bonus Structure for Air Japan

Air Japan recently introduced a very generous annual bonus for a five year period for pilots who have worked with the airline for 3 years or more. Captains will receive USD 30,000 per year, increasing to USD 36,000 per year in the last 2 years. First Officers will receive USD 25,000 per year, increasing to USD 30,000 per year in the last 2 years.

Air Japan is a B767 operator based in Tokyo, Japan. It offers a family- friendly commuting contract of 18 days on with 12 consecutive days off, confirmed business class tickets home each month and a lucrative salary. The airline is committed to actively upgrading their First Officers and accepts applications from both rated and non-rated commercial jet pilots.

They will be coming to Frankfurt from November 17th to 19th to hold 3 days of screening for non-rated B767 First Officers. Both First Officers and Captains are welcome to apply for the role of First Officer. If you are interested in attending, please apply today as there are only 12 slots available!

heavydane
29th Sep 2017, 18:46
To apply for DEC You need a JCAB Atpl, meaning that You either are working or have worked in Japan before.

gtseraf
29th Sep 2017, 22:24
a few years ago the company decided they would only look at DEC's who had a JCAB licence. What led to this was a high failure rate of non JCAB licensed DEC pilots.I guess there thinking was that a JCAB licence holder would know the Japanese system better and would improve the chances of success, I have no proof , but I don't think it made a huge difference. The way DEC's are trained makes it a very demanding option. I don't think getting a JCAB licence on your own is a practical option, the language would be one of the many problems.If one really wanted to come work here, I think it may be a safer option to join as an FO and then wait your turn for the upgrade. Just saying!

All new hires will have their licences converted to JCAB during the training period.

The requirements, as far as experience goes, are pretty firm. If you really want the answer, submit an application. The worst they can do is say "no"

The documentation we received about the bonus scheme said the bonus was for the next 5 years. It is not written into our contract yet, only an email from Air Japan. Whether the bonus will be paid after 5 years, who knows?

bringbackthe80s
30th Sep 2017, 01:24
On one side I suppose they must be getting enough applicants otherwise they would offer a different type to foreigners as well and ease the requirements, on the other I must say they have been hiring non stop for the last decade or more...so something must be going on.
The last ad says both capt and fo are welcome to apply for the fo role..on a VERY old aircraft, for half the money on offer in many other places. I sure am wrong, but this seems unlikely to me.

gtseraf
30th Sep 2017, 02:47
hence why recruitment is ongoing, more leaving than desired and less joining to meet attrition and expansion requirements

bringbackthe80s
30th Sep 2017, 02:52
This is Japan I know I know, but if you confirm this is the situation are they not asking themselves questions?

(Not mentioning they need people for peach which is now mostly ana too)

heavydane
30th Sep 2017, 06:46
They can hardly ease the FO requirements any further. And yes classes are full.
We have attrition but that will end when the last American leave, they are pretty much the only ones with better options at home.
AJX will never have enough pilots, as soon as we are getting close, ANA will give us more flying, because we are the cheap labour:}

Icarus2001
30th Sep 2017, 09:53
they are pretty much the only ones with better options at home.

Your location is shown as Cloud 7 so I am not sure if you are aware but in Australia there is a very healthy demand for pilots. Even first jet jobs. Qantas is recruiting for the first time in about ten years and Virgin is now recruiting for 737 FO spots which has not happened for a few years either. Virgin also want people for NZ and VARA in WA.

So there are plenty of better options "at home". No sign of recruitment slowing either.

heavydane
30th Sep 2017, 10:50
I stand corrected, if You can get a Qantas slot, I agree that's a better deal!
Other than that I can only observe that most new hires are Aussies and they never leave, go figure.

Who stole my meds
30th Sep 2017, 12:28
The pay at Air Japan on the surface looks better even after tax than the Aussie jobs.
Expenses whilst in Japan on the other hand may change the balance.

jrmyl
30th Sep 2017, 15:40
We have attrition but that will end when the last American leave, they are pretty much the only ones with better options at home.
AJX will never have enough pilots, as soon as we are getting close, ANA will give us more flying, because we are the cheap labour:}

Actually there are quite a few number of Qantas guys who will be leaving within the next year from what I hear.

Also, from what I hear, the current class only has 3 people in it. Is that considered full?

:hmm:

Icarus2001
1st Oct 2017, 00:43
Well the fact that they have added a retention bonus last month based on five years there speaks volumes. Companies throw money at problems, they don't give you a bonus because they are nice people. Market forces always win in the end,

bringbackthe80s
1st Oct 2017, 03:48

To be honest this is a very good point. ANA surely is the main airline and focus, Air Japan is there for buffer and to cover some of the routes as they become available to give away. If you look at it from this standpoint it makes sense to keep recruiting non stop and up the money a bit if they really need to. It doesn't have to be perfect but it's probably good enough.

I would say that's not applicable to Peach because the expansion of the airline and low cost sector is extremely dependent on having enough crew and being able to recruit them (ryanair would be a good example of this) as you get new frames. They don't seem too worried or in a rush on that side either though, so there you go. And in all honesty there's only so much an lcc can offer before going over the budget anyways.

meowyplaney
1st Oct 2017, 16:41
I have been very interested in AJX for the last 2 years and I have been building my time. I live on Guam with my Japanese wife and I travel to Japan on a monthly basis. I would like to live in Japan full time. I am currently a Captain on an ATR42 flying in Micronesia for Cape Air as United Express. I have just over 3000 hours TT 1500 121 and around 150 hours pic in 121 turbine. the web sight says no prop time. Is that a hard core no go? Do i have a chance without jet time? Have the hired anyone without Jet time. I really don't want to quit my job just to get 500 jet time.

thanks!

Why don't you apply for the DHC-8 Q400 DEC job with ANA Wings out of Itami?
This position is on the CREW website and I think you qualify.

The Dominican
1st Oct 2017, 21:58
My unsolicited 2 cents.....!

DEC JCAB only......! As said before, due to a number of applicants failing but also because they are meeting their staffing needs with the upgrade program.

The well.....! As markets in the US specifically are getting better, it is getting dry, it's been drying up for the past couple of years, hence the raise! My guess is that once the news of the improved T&C's spreads we will get more people to bite.

A revolving door......! We have said it many times before that this particular gig works for some and not for others, people are always going to choose a gig close to home if it works for them and as the market is getting better in the US people are trying to go back, that is to be expected but we also have people still applying from the US so the door will continue to revolve I guess.
The Land of OZ......! The same story there, the folks from Q will be going back but we still have some applicants from Oz, the last class only has 3 folks in it because the others cancelled, that seems to be the story lately but that will continue to be the case, the class before that was full. Again, I think that the improved T&C's will have an effect.

The venerable 76......! If you have an issue with the "very old technology" then don't apply! Simple as that. This gig is to fly the 767 and although the 78 will be introduced starting on 2018, there is very little chance that you as a new hire will see that type for several years, and be mindful that as the 78 picks up the passenger routes we are doing now on the 76, then the AJX 76 duties will be mostly cargo if not only cargo...!

bringbackthe80s
2nd Oct 2017, 00:18
What the Dominican says seems quite accurate to me. No more no less.

Very interesting, so essentially DEC does not exist and reality is; flying an antique on night fright, probably to China....?!

When you lay it out that clearly, it does look quite appealing!

The Dominican
2nd Oct 2017, 01:12
Very interesting, so essentially DEC does not exist and reality is; flying an antique on night fright, probably to China....?!

There are some DEC's coming in here and there in the past few years but they are coming from other Japanese gigs already with a JCAB ATPL.....! The rest of the captains are coming from within through the upgrade program, yes...., and to be honest, I think most of us are ok with that.

That will be the office and that will be mostly the mission, yes! Come here for the stability, come here for the ability to choose your days off, come for the business class commute, come here to work in a professional environment where you will be dispatched with plenty fuel, rarely an MEL or CDL, come to fly very well maintained airplanes (even the freighters) and come to one of the few gigs on the international market where you will be flying mostly with other expats and although we have our 5% of the infamous that are the protagonist on 95% of the stories, the majority of guys are fun to be around, professional and we try to maintain high CRM and SOP's standards.

Don't come dreaming of flying to the west coast of the US and Europe on the 78 because even if you eventually transfers to the 78 (many years down the line) you will be doing the same China and SE Asia trips we are doing now..., those wonderful trips you envision are mainline trips and will continue to be mainline trips. Even the Honolulu's will most likely go away once the Fugly monstrosity takes over those trips starting on 2019.

You come with a clear view of what to expect and you will be happy here like most of us, come with the expectation that the job will eventually evolve to something else more to your liking...., and you will be inclined to use the revolving door.

In any case if you come, Don't bitch to me....! LOL

ozzdogg
13th Oct 2017, 18:52
Alright... I am looking into new options. Love japan.

So, the new money info listed.. first year $7200 + 4000 so 11000 something as extras and expenses. The first 6 months of training only the 7200. after 5 years 13800 something...

first and foremost ... DO I get taxed on this or is this after TAX?

The 10 days off in a row, do you get the 2 days on top of that to commute? upto 14 days if ya get 2 annual leave days on top. What is the total annual leave BTW 24 days?

Is it true command time is about 3 years?

Living in Narita, during your time there. What kind of expenses are you looking at for hotel/food on a monthly basis ? Or share appartment with other crew? costs ?

And lastly guys, tickets...to amsterdam to be exact? Discounted? Free with ANA? Zed fairs? ID 90 % What s the deal?

Thanks in advance y'all.

heavydane
16th Oct 2017, 08:19
Or have a look at NCA, they got an AMS base!

jrmyl
16th Oct 2017, 14:30
Alright... I am looking into new options. Love japan.

So, the new money info listed.. first year $7200 + 4000 so 11000 something as extras and expenses. The first 6 months of training only the 7200. after 5 years 13800 something...

first and foremost ... DO I get taxed on this or is this after TAX? That is pre-tax. So you will be taxed by your local gov't by whatever tax plan they have in place. There is no Japanese tax withheld as you are not an employee of a Japanese company.

The 10 days off in a row, do you get the 2 days on top of that to commute? upto 14 days if ya get 2 annual leave days on top. What is the total annual leave BTW 24 days? Yes, you get 12 days in a row, 14 if you use the 2 days of vacation. 24 days of vacation a year.

Is it true command time is about 3 years? I would say it is closer to 4 years or so. When I upgraded it was 5 years. Prior to that was around 3.5-4 years.

Living in Narita, during your time there. What kind of expenses are you looking at for hotel/food on a monthly basis ? Or share appartment with other crew? costs ? An apartment in NRT will be about 75,000 Yen more or less. Utilities run around 10,000-15,000 Yen. Hotel is around 7000 Yen /night. How much you spend on food is totally up to you. If you drink a lot then it will cost a lot.

And lastly guys, tickets...to amsterdam to be exact? Discounted? Free with ANA? Zed fairs? ID 90 % What s the deal? There is a Zed Fare. I've never used it so not sure what % that is. I always do the C-Class ticket option.

Thanks in advance y'all.

See the above.

Lepo
16th Oct 2017, 17:31
Hey guys,

Just went through every single post on this thread. Took me some days to read it all, but there are lots of useful info about the job and screening. Can't say thank you enough to the usual posters here who provide invaluable informations.

I see this job has been through many ups and downs in the past few years and would like some updates if you're so kind to answer.

1 - Has the company addressed the schedulling issues? I'm talking about mainly of
A) The problems of not giving early landings on your last day so you're able to commute the same day back home or late (ish) starts on your first day so you don't have to waste a day off commuting earlier.
B) The back of the clock flights and constantly shifting through night and day causing fatigue on crews

2- About a year or so the upgrade pass rate was about 50%. Has anything changed recently?

3 - I posted the email I received from Parc a couple of days ago about the new bonus structure. Can anybody provide more insight on how this is going to work? Do you think this address the issue of low pay on this contract many have been complaining recently?

4 - Not a long ago the standard recommendation was that CREW was more suitable for Yank applicants and Parc for people from other nationalities. Then it changed to CREW being the preferential agency regardless of nationality (mainly because of Medical Insurance/LOL and support). Does this still apply? If one had to apply today would CREW still be the first option or has Parc improved the package?

5 - I'm currently flying the 737NG with 3200tt and 1600h on type and that being the only airliner I've flown before. I remember reading some posts back that the the 767s used by AJX do not have speed/altitude tapes and and that the Flight Director is of the "chevron" type. Has anything changed? Still no speed/altitude tapes and crossbar? I ask this because I only had experience on full glass cockpit aircraft and it would need some getting used to instrument crosscheck with steam gauges and how should I best prepare for the sim evaluation.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Fratemate
16th Oct 2017, 23:52
1 - Has the company addressed the schedulling issues? I'm talking about mainly of

A) The problems of not giving early landings on your last day so you're able to commute the same day back home or late (ish) starts on your first day so you don't have to waste a day off commuting earlier. This is still a 'nice to have'.There is no requirement, nor agreement, for the Company to finish you early on your last day but they do try to some extent. Allegedly you can swap trips with others to enable this but I've never actually heard of anyone doing this, mainly because the rest of your roster may not allow it and your offer of a NRT-XMN-OKA-TPE-NRT is not going to really attract someone with a NRT-SGN-NRT. Some pilots think because they live in Europe that they are entitled to finish early but this is not the case. No matter where you live you'll be wasting time travelling to or from home and it's the nature of the commuting contract beast.

B) The back of the clock flights and constantly shifting through night and day causing fatigue on crews. No. The 'back of the clock' flights you're going to get almost everywhere and certainly with cargo trips. These are not necessarily the problem and, in some cases they can be better than day flights (think noisy ATC with Shanghai versus quiet at midnight). The problem is the switching between days and nights and there has been nothing done to address this problem. It's not all the Company's fault. They have stupid restrictions like NRT INTERNATIONAL Airport closing at 2300 and not opening until 0600 and Naha (the promised 24 hour airport) shutting up shop for their power nap until 0130. They could swap quite a few pairings around and fly pax trips into freight in some locations but they don't.....mainly because they're (a)not very imaginative and (b)don't listen unless it's their idea (or think it is). So, expect night into day flights and don't say we didn't warn you.

2- About a year or so the upgrade pass rate was about 50%. Has anything changed recently?They seem to be pretty desperate given some of the people they've recently selected and, also, passed. It's running at well above 50%.

3 - I posted the email I received from Parc a couple of days ago about the new bonus structure. Can anybody provide more insight on how this is going to work? I don't know what more you need. After 3 years you get a $25000 bonus, probably paid in the April salary. When you're a captain you get $30000. Supposedly this is for 5 years but they're going to have to keep it going after that to make up for the fact that we've never had a pay rise. It's a very welcome addition and it will help with one of their goals i.e. retention. However, as far as attracting new joiners then it does little. You're not going to see any extra money for the first three years and, until the 767s are gone (think 10 years or so), then you're not going to see a 787 for the first 4 years or so of your contract, if that. The important thing to plan on is no bonus money and flying the 767.....no matter what shiny baubles the contract agencies dangle in front of you. Oh, and forget 3-4 years to the left seat of a 787. Do you think this address the issue of low pay on this contract many have been complaining recently? See comment above re retention, not attraction

Here's a really badly copy and pasted bit of info. You'll have to line up the years and money yourself as the lack of tabs is a pain in the butt.

Currently employed Captains : USD 30,000 per year for first 3 years increasing to USD 36,000 for remaining 2 years
Currently employed First Officers : USD 25,000 per year – payable once the F/O has provided 3 years’ service

F/Y of payment 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022

Captain 30,000 30,000 30,000 36,000 36,000

First Officer
(F/Y of hire)

2019 0 0 0 25,000
2018 0 0 0 25,000 25,000
2017 0 0 25,000 25,000 25,000
2016 0 25,000 25,000 25,000 25,000
2015 25,000 25,000 25,000 25,000 25,000

4 - Not a long ago the standard recommendation was that CREW was more suitable for Yank applicants and Parc for people from other nationalities. Then it changed to CREW being the preferential agency regardless of nationality (mainly because of Medical Insurance/LOL and support). Does this still apply? If one had to apply today would CREW still be the first option or has Parc improved the package? Parc has done nothing and Parc pilots never hear a thing. They pay regularly but then argue the toss when anyone dares to be sick and try to use the, supposedly, great insurance policy they have. You're far better off going with Crew, using their, genuinely, great medical cover and paying a bit for your own loss of licence. At least Crew pilots receive some emails and updates, whereas Parc are obviously saving paper by not emailing anyone or keeping them abreast of any plans etc. Definitely Crew, no matter where you live.

5 - I'm currently flying the 737NG with 3200tt and 1600h on type and that being the only airliner I've flown before. I remember reading some posts back that the the 767s used by AJX do not have speed/altitude tapes and and that the Flight Director is of the "chevron" type. Has anything changed? Still no speed/altitude tapes and crossbar? I ask this because I only had experience on full glass cockpit aircraft and it would need some getting used to instrument crosscheck with steam gauges and how should I best prepare for the sim evaluation. We have the speed tape but we don't officially use it because it's far too complicated for mortal man (read the Japanese didn't have them on the YS11 or 727 and they're not about to rush into crazy changes now). It is, of course, much more useful than the round dial and silly bugs but that's what we officially use. Flap retraction etc doesn't make use of the 'F' sitting on the speed tape but they do have their own, 'special' way of doing things (quelle surprise) and then wonder why we get flap overspeeds on retraction and the rest of the developed world doesn't. Altimeter is still the round dial and nothing on the EADI. You'll be glad, as most were, that the wing bar went some time ago and we are now blessed with the crossbars.

Lepo
17th Oct 2017, 23:36
Thank you for your kind reply, Fratemante.

B757UK
26th Oct 2017, 20:34
Are any of the current AJX contractors that post in here based in the U.K.? If not do any of the usual posters know any UK based AJX guys that I could talk to about how the pay ends up for them with regards to U.K. Tax etc. Any advice appreciated.

Tricia Takanawa
27th Oct 2017, 07:34
Are any of the current AJX contractors that post in here based in the U.K.? If not do any of the usual posters know any UK based AJX guys that I could talk to about how the pay ends up for them with regards to U.K. Tax etc. Any advice appreciated.

I would also be interested in the above if anyone could please advise.

Also, is commuting done on the companies days or your own?

Cheers
TT

The Dominican
27th Oct 2017, 11:55
The problem with sites such as this to ask questions about taxes is that pilots are too smart, sometimes way too smart for their own good, several expats have discovered that those silly pencil pushers at the tax office are pretty damn smart as well.....! Ask a tax professional with experience in expat taxes about that, sometimes to get advice from extremely smart people is not a good thing.

Commute: I'll answer your question but I would also recommend that you read this thread, it contains answers that you might not think to ask but that will give you a good picture of the lifestyle at AJX.

We get 10 days off in a row (or however you want to use them) and 2 BDC (Blank commuting days) and 24 days of vacation a year that you can also use at your discretion, many people just use 2 vacation days every month.

That means that every month you can make a stretch of 14 days in a row and you commute within those days...., it is a lottery wether you can commute out on the last day of duty, scheduling tries to finish you early enough the last day but sometimes you won't be able to leave until the next day.

GaijinFlyier
29th Oct 2017, 20:36
Hello everybody. Thanks for all these important information on these thread. Is there any Brazilian pilots flying in Air Japan?

Clear sky for everybody

Fratemate
31st Oct 2017, 06:36
Yes. There are three that I can think of. Only one now lives in Brazil. One never really did and the other has moved from Brazil to the USA.

APBabySitter
2nd Nov 2017, 23:32
Hi all, I've noticed in this thread compared to many, there are actually quite a few guys (gals?) in here that give helpful answers to questions. So in that vein I have a question about the use of the commuting allowance.

As far as I can tell you are given $2000USD a month to get "home". I believe you can either;

1) Try your luck on standby staff travel and probably pocket a healthy balance. A question here is do you guys have access to accurate loading numbers to see what the chances of gettin on business class are? Additionally what airlines flying to Australia do you get business staff travel on? (From what I've read on here you generally aren't a fan of this method as it sets a bad precedent to the company).

2) Forego the $2,000 and take a confirmed business ticket home. Now, if you choose to fly somewhere that the ANA group does not fly directly do they assume all costs getting you there? For example if I chose to live in Perth would they fly you to Sydney then across to Perth on QF, or only get you to SYD and the rest is up to you?

3) This is the method I understand the least. Basically you pay for your own confirmed business class ticket but at a reduced rate? Or a special staff rate? If that's the case is that available year round or only in off peak? Or have I got this part completely wrong?

At what stage in the previous roster month do you advise the company what method you want to use for the next month to commute and can it be changed last minute? For instance, say next month you feel the flights will be very full so you opt for the confirmed business seat (option 1) then a day or two before your flight find business class is nearly empty, can you then change to the 2k option and fly ID90 home?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get my ducks in a row before making any big decisions. Thanks in advance.

Fratemate
4th Nov 2017, 04:33
1) Try your luck on standby staff travel and probably pocket a healthy balance. A question here is do you guys have access to accurate loading numbers to see what the chances of gettin on business class are? Additionally what airlines flying to Australia do you get business staff travel on? (From what I've read on here you generally aren't a fan of this method as it sets a bad precedent to the company). You can get pretty good ideas of ANA loads but other airlines' loads are subject to using the same ZED information that all airline staff can get hold of. Generally that's just a green, yellow or red face. The only airline we can get business class ZED fares is ANA. ANA fly to Sydney and you can get a business class ZED ticket a fair amount of the time but forget it in the summer when the Japanese go to SYD for their Cairns visit. Lots of people, especially FOs, use this method and pocket the change from the $2000. I don't think there are any strong views about using it or not....so long as the Company continues to provide the C class option for those who want it I don't think anyone cares what method others use.

2) Forego the $2,000 and take a confirmed business ticket home. Now, if you choose to fly somewhere that the ANA group does not fly directly do they assume all costs getting you there? For example if I chose to live in Perth would they fly you to Sydney then across to Perth on QF, or only get you to SYD and the rest is up to you? They'll get you to where you live, even if it is a two stop. There are a few Perth commuters with AJX and you can choose to use QF or SQ to get you there. SQ you'll go HND-SIN-PER but QF you've got a few more options to go from NRT or HND via SYD, MEL or BNE.

3) This is the method I understand the least. Basically you pay for your own confirmed business class ticket but at a reduced rate? Or a special staff rate? If that's the case is that available year round or only in off peak? Or have I got this part completely wrong?Never heard of that method, so I think you've got it completely wrong. You either take the $2000 and make your own way (using ZED or 'normal' tickets) or get the Company to book your C class and do not collect $2000.

At what stage in the previous roster month do you advise the company what method you want to use for the next month to commute and can it be changed last minute? For instance, say next month you feel the flights will be very full so you opt for the confirmed business seat (option 1) then a day or two before your flight find business class is nearly empty, can you then change to the 2k option and fly ID90 home? You need to submit your C class request by the 25th (I think) of the month before and cannot then cancel it as you've asked. By then the ticket will be issued and any changes will cost you $500 but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't see a cancellation as a 'change'. You can chop and change each month and are not tied to one method but once you've gone down the C class for that month you cannot then cancel it a couple of days beforehand.

APBabySitter
4th Nov 2017, 04:47
Thanks so much for you detailed reply, very much appreciated. I just had another thought reading your post. If you take the 2k option and don't get on the flight BACK to Tokyo how does that play out with the company? Or is the return flight to work always confirmed and the 2k is just for te outbound leg?

Tricia Takanawa
4th Nov 2017, 11:54
Adding to the above, is it possible to change destination of the c class option. ie. if you usually commute to PER, but wanted to commute to NYC for a vacation one month?

The Dominican
4th Nov 2017, 12:09
Adding to the above, is it possible to change destination of the c class option. ie. if you usually commute to PER, but wanted to commute to NYC for a vacation one month?

No.....! You can add a second destination but have to provide a reason (vacation home, parents hometown) and you must make the request well in advance.

But you get to keep your miles so for the NYC trip just cash some miles.

atldrvr
4th Nov 2017, 13:39
Obviously everyone has their reasons on whether or not to use the C Class commute or take the $2,000. I commute to the U.S. and always take the C Class.

1. Remember that you are not really getting $2,000 when you factor in income taxes and the price of purchasing the ZED ticket.

2. How much is not having to worry about loads, cancellation, etc. worth? For me $2,000 is not worth it. I enjoy knowing that I have a confirmed ticket and never have to worry about getting to/from work. My flight is also 12-14 hours so the business class seat is important to me.

3. The best part for me is the frequent flier miles. Obviously each airline program is different but for the airline I commute on I generally get around 800,000 miles a year. If you like to travel frequently then the miles are nice.

Fratemate
4th Nov 2017, 21:09
If you take the 2k option and don't get on the flight BACK to Tokyo how does that play out with the company? Or is the return flight to work always confirmed and the 2k is just for te outbound leg?

It would not play out very well with the Company at all if you weren't back in Japan for your next trip. If you take the $2000 then it's ALL up to you. There is no confirmation of ZED tickets, they are standby. The $2000 is all you're going to get for the month and you have to buy both the out and back tickets. I do like your optimism that it's $2000 to get you home and they'll buy you a confirmed ticket back to Japan but that isn't even close :-) You buy both ways and if you get left behind then you'd better have a Plan B.

APBabySitter
4th Nov 2017, 22:46
I do like your optimism that it's $2000 to get you home and they'll buy you a confirmed ticket back to Japan but that isn't even close :-) You buy both ways and if you get left behind then you'd better have a Plan B.

You'd think after working for a major airline for 10 years I'd know better than to be optimistic about airline policy! What's the saying, hope springs eternal?

Thanks for all your thoughtful replies everyone, I must say it's a tricky decision looking to join AJX, like every place I'm sure there there are plenty pros and cons. Compared to where am I at now you guys don't seem any where near as bitter and twisted though so that is refreshing. It is also one of the better jobs to get me and the family out of Asia and back to Australia.

I'll keep my eye on this thread to see any developments with Ts and Cs and if the introduction of the 787 improves your rosters and lifestyle etc. There goes that optimism again.

Safe flying.

Moony123
5th Nov 2017, 13:22
Hi All,

Great info in the thread, read through the entire thing. Is there any chance someone could PM a sample roster or two of what you guys are actually flying?

The Mid East is getting worse day by day, and AJX is looking like a decent option to get a little closer to home.

Thanks!

B757UK
5th Nov 2017, 17:58
Hi All,

Great info in the thread, read through the entire thing. Is there any chance someone could PM a sample roster or two of what you guys are actually flying?

The Mid East is getting worse day by day, and AJX is looking like a decent option to get a little closer to home.

Thanks!

Second this, a PM of a roster would be good to look at...

B757UK
21st Nov 2017, 10:32
Just been looking at Rishworth's brief for the contract and got a couple questions for you guys (I am asking Rishworth too)......

Their brief says the 24 days annual leave will be allocated in 2 equal periods during the year - does this mean that with Rishworth you can't add a days leave either side of your days off each month as described in this thread? Hoping that hasn't changed!

About the completion bonus ....... If an FO upgrades to captain after four years - do they miss out on the bonus and therefore effectively just get the bonus after completing their first Captain contract?

Thanks!

Edit: Had a reply from the lady at Rishworth who says the leave is allocated as 2 blocks of 12 and that it is rare to be able to add your leave to your monthly days off. Looked at Parc's advert again and they only mention 10 off plus 2 commuting. Longreach say 10 off, 2 commuting with "the possibility of adding 2 days leave" each month to make the block 14.

So to you guys currently working at AJX - how does it really work out at the moment?

gtseraf
21st Nov 2017, 21:11
Up to now, the schedulers have been very flexible with the way we use our leave and days off. Basically, the 10+2+2 (commute days) are available each month of the fiscal year (April 1 to March 31). As long as you don't exceed these in 1 year you are OK. I have heard that the company will not give you commute days for a calendar month, if you take no days off in that calendar month.

What the future holds, who knows.

As far as the bonus goes, the FO bonus is frozen on the day you become a Captain and this amount is held until the original 5 year period is up, then it is paid out.If you leave before the 5 year period is up, you get nothing. On Captain qualification, a new 5 year bonus cycle starts.

B757UK
21st Nov 2017, 21:47
Up to now, the schedulers have been very flexible with the way we use our leave and days off. Basically, the 10+2+2 (commute days) are available each month of the fiscal year (April 1 to March 31). As long as you don't exceed these in 1 year you are OK. I have heard that the company will not give you commute days for a calendar month, if you take no days off in that calendar month.

What the future holds, who knows.

As far as the bonus goes, the FO bonus is frozen on the day you become a Captain and this amount is held until the original 5 year period is up, then it is paid out.If you leave before the 5 year period is up, you get nothing. On Captain qualification, a new 5 year bonus cycle starts.

Gtseraf - thanks for the info, it would appear that the Rishworth rep either has the wrong end of the stick or doesn't want to put anything in writing that isn't absolutely 100% guaranteed.......

As for the bonus that sounds sensible ... the cynical side of me assumed the FO bonus would disappear with an early upgrade ..... maybe I shouldn't be so cynical!! :)

gtseraf
22nd Nov 2017, 02:15
haha

stay cynical it's your best from of defence.

BTW, in the past, there were 2 contract companies, Parc and Crew, then IAC was included but they have very few pilots. Sounds like Rishworth are new to AJX, I don't know of any pilots employed by Rishworth here, so they may have very little experience of the REAL deal.

Fratemate
23rd Nov 2017, 22:35
B757UK, you've got mail.

Rook
26th Nov 2017, 19:31
Hey guys,
In regards to the "C class" tix home, if I understand this correctly I can get a ticket on another star alliance carrier? The example I'm thinking of is my home town of Calgary (YYC). It is an Air Canada flight but is an ANA codeshare.

My second question is what happens if you move, can you change your home base during the contract? Could you have them fly you to HNL to meet up with family after a tour at work?

Thanks in advance.

Fratemate
27th Nov 2017, 01:23
When booking your C class ticket, AJX will first of all try and use ANA. After that they will use a Star Alliance carrier and after that it'll be whoever flies to where you live. Some of the Australian commuters use Singapore Airlines (Star Alliance) but many use Qantas (OneWorld) and the Company does not seem to care too much, probably because SQ is so expensive even if it is Star Alliance. So, yes, if ANA doesn't fly to Calgary then Air Canada would be an acceptable means of getting you home.

If you move you just change the form telling them where you live and you'll get a ticket there instead. There's no problem with changing during the contract. If you have a 'home' in two places (and can show them evidence of such) then you can choose each month which one you want to fly to. Only one, though, not both :-)

samurai
1st Dec 2017, 07:30
Hello guys,

I have a quick question. I believe that you guys have contract with CREW or Parc. Do they have any branches in Japan?

Thank you. Samurai

gtseraf
2nd Dec 2017, 02:22
I believe both have offices in Japan.

samurai
4th Dec 2017, 14:20
I believe both have offices in Japan.

Thank you, gtseraf. I could find address of Cae Parc office in Japan. It is Ginza Daiei Building 5F, 1-16-7 Ginza, Chuo-ku Tokyo, 104-0061,Tokyo Japan.

But I could not find any information of Crew's office in Japan. Anybody does have information about Crew office in Japan?

Samurai

gtseraf
4th Dec 2017, 22:53
Hi Samurai, my apologies, I have been informed that CREW do not have an office in Japan, they are all in HNL.

Willing to Fly
4th Dec 2017, 23:41
I'd also like to get a sample roster just to see what things are really like.
Thanks.

Titan Slave
7th Dec 2017, 05:50
Hi Lads,

Also as the above if anyone has a de-identified roster could you please PM it to me.

Many thanks in advance.

samurai
7th Dec 2017, 17:40
Hi Samurai, my apologies, I have been informed that CREW do not have an office in Japan, they are all in HNL.

Thank you, gtseraf.

Fratemate
7th Dec 2017, 23:36
I think 'sample' rosters are a bit pointless because there are far too many variables and I can tell you mine looks absolutely nothing like GTSeraf, so you're not going to get a feel for the flying that we do by examining a snapshot of a couple of months of work. The best thing to do is just assume that while you're in Japan then you're there to work and that you'll be visiting China a lot. There is plenty of day to night swapping, since the schedulers still do not seem to be able to grasp the fact that this is not a good thing. Occasionally you'll go to some nicer places, like BKK or SGN but some seem to get these trips more than others! Just plan on working 6 days in 7, getting disrupted sleep because of the day/night swaps and being an expert on PVG, CAN and XMN.....and then enjoying the very flexible days off system (it's why so many are still here). If you feel you can cope with this then apply. If it doesn't suit you then save yourself filling out the forms.

The Dominican
8th Dec 2017, 13:49
Adding to what Frate wrote...., It is true that everyone is not getting the same roster variations but besides that, what you need to understand is not what the rosters look like today for a new joiner but rather what they will look a year from now when somebody that is just starting the application process will actually be on the line.

As the 78 starts to get populated and takes on the passenger routes that are being done now on the 76, then the 76 at AJX will most likely be an all freighter operation with mostly China trips, the few Bangkok, Singapore cargo trips will be mostly for the first born preferred children, the redhead stepchild (A.K.A. New hire) will be doing nothing but freighter China trips with a mix of day trips and short rest overnight trips.

I don't mean to bring a sour note and like the rest of us I'm really just taking a guess as to how things will develop, but I believe this will be the most likely scenario.

heavydane
9th Dec 2017, 06:35
Compared to what else is out there in the contract world this is still a good gig.
Yes the roster can be brutal at times, other times not so much.

So for all wannabes my advise is: Stop looking at and asking for details and instead take a good look in the mirror.
Am I ready to leave home for 17 days each month and work a hard schedule in a foreign land with a very different culture?
The reward being a brilliant days off system, fully booked commute in C-class, a pretty descent pay and working with a bunch of good guys, then this job is for You😉

Respectfully
HD

Moony123
9th Dec 2017, 14:17
HD, Frate, Dom, et al - Is it possible just to grab a quick PM/info about how the day off system works? The brutal rostering I'm already used to, and everything else sounds like a breath of fresh air compared to the Mid East!

I've already thrown in an application with Crew, looking forward to hopefully seeing some of you guys in the future!

Fratemate
10th Dec 2017, 07:57
You get 10 days off per month (actually 120 days off per year). You also get 2 commuting days each month, plus 24 days of vacation per year.

Some people will take 10 + 2 + 2 each month. Others will take 10 + 2 and save the vacation to be used in bigger blocks. It's all really up to you and it is the best bit of working for AJX. If they mucked around with the days off system then many would be looking elsewhere.

You can back-to-back months so, for instance, take the last 14 days of one month and the first 14 of the next. You'll then find yourself in Japan for a long time until the next lot of days off come around but at least you're able to do such a thing.

If you wanted to use, say, 4 days at the end of one month and 10 into the next, then that's fine. As you can see, it's very flexible and works 99% of the time.

Basically, you put in your days off request before the end of month, 2 months ahead (if you see what I mean). So February's days off request needs to be submitted by the end of December. On the 4th of each month AJX draw a line under the work moved around with ANA and they then start writing the rosters.....manually!! Occasionally they may run out of pilots and they might call you before 4th and ask you to move your days off. If you're able then it's a good thing to help out and do so. If you can't then they usually understand and move to the next pilot.

Vacation can be 'forward used'. By that I mean you don't have to accrue the 2 days each month before you can spend it. The leave year starts 1 Apr and if you 'spent' 12 days of vacation in Apr (plus your normal days off etc) then you just don't have the ability to add 2 vacation days to each month for the rest of the year.

The commuting days were put in place to attempt to protect your actual days off at home as days off i.e. not flying to or from Japan. The schedulers try, to a greater or lesser extent, to finish people early (ish) on their last day of work and, occasionally, start them late on their first day of work. Clearly this cannot work for everybody, especially if you take you days off along with others at popular times (month's end/start). If you do finish early then you can get going home on the last day of work and may only eat a bit into your commuting day. Same as the late start but you do have to be in Japan a minimum of 9 hours before report, so you can rest before a trip and this normally means being in a lot earlier than that.

We've been lucky enough to have this system for quite some time but it is starting to creak a bit at the seams, now we have many more pilots than previously. You might think that would give them more flexibility but their response is that they get more requests and, therefore, it is more difficult to keep everyone happy. The BIG problem is those who, as happens everywhere, spoil it for everyone by being selfish idiots and doing stupid things. Some have come back on ZED tickets (who are not 'tracked' by AJX) and arrived way too late before a trip. Others have gone home on ZED tickets when they're still on standby, 'because they can't use me'. Those sort of things that will eventually lead to the Company treating everybody as only the idiots should be treated and that will ruin the, currently excellent, system. If you use C class then the Company can see when you're coming and going and if it's not right then they'll tell you to change your ticket request.

I should also say that you can break your days off into shorter stints as well. Obviously, those that live in Japan might break them up into 4 blocks of 3.....just as an example.....whereas someone who lives in Hong Kong (made-up person) might want to have 2 blocks of 6. HKG being close and relatively easy to commute. The contract does talk of concurrent days but, as I said, they have been much more flexible than that and long may that continue.

Christmas, like every other company in the world, is a bit different and we have a system that is designed to allow a fair share of time off, based on what you've done the previous 3 years. I'm not going to complicate things by attempting to describe the whole thing but it's fair and you can see where you lie in the big scheme of things, so you can plan ahead. Just don't expect every Christmas off because it's not going to happen!

I think that's enough writing :-)

gtseraf
10th Dec 2017, 23:39
Frate has summed it up pretty well.

Just to add a personal observation about back to back days off. It is possible to combine days off but that normally leads to doing a double stint in Japan. Beware! With the way we are worked, in general, this could lead to doing 30 days or more at 6 on 1 off, with a pretty brutal schedule. Very good way to feel like a total zombie at the end of it.

Moony123
11th Dec 2017, 12:16
Frate - Mate, thanks heaps for the huge explanation of how it works, way way more detail than I expected! I'll grab you a drink of your choice when I make it over!

gt - I sometimes feel like I'm doing something similar over here, but good to know!

main_dog
12th Dec 2017, 01:10
Fratemate and Dominican (and HD!), a good example of how the prune should be: some great info from you gents, thank-you for your time.

Just wish AJX would consider non-JCAB DECs!

Willing to Fly
19th Dec 2017, 16:11
I wish it didn't take them 6+ months to push someone through the hiring cycle.

Where I am now, if it takes 6 weeks to hire someone, they have likely already found another job before your offer goes out.

bringbackthe80s
20th Dec 2017, 15:07
I have the feeling that will change (slowly) in the near future.
And I also think the 787 will happen sooner than one might think for a new joiner. Japan needs a lot of people, no way around that

APBabySitter
22nd Dec 2017, 02:28
I am still considering this position very seriously, but with a young family the idea of leaving them for 6 months while I learn how to tune and identify an NDB on a ground trainer (joking but I'm told the initial training is aimed at 0 hour cadets) is hard to deal with. I really hope they decide to streamline the process for guys with a few thousand hours on a wide body to make the job more appealing.

I'll monitor this thread in hope for any changes to the induction and word on the 787!
Cheers for all the great info guys, certainly makes it easier to make an informed decision.

gtseraf
22nd Dec 2017, 02:38
APBabySitter.

I understand your concerns, they have been an issue since the start of operations in 2001 and they are very valid concerns. Try being away on course when your latest child is born, has happened to many of us.

Many of us have suggested a change to the way things are done, in order to make the job more attractive. So far nothing has changed, I do not expect anything to change, so the choice is jump in or walk away.

The 787, as things stand, is not an option for newhires, how things work out in the future, your guess is as good as mine. It will probably end up being the senior fleet, at this stage selection is based on seniority for Captains. If this continues for F/O's, well, plan on joining on the 767. I understand the plans are to keep the 767 freighters for a long time.

Trying to be as realistic as possible, not negative.

APBabySitter
22nd Dec 2017, 02:59
APBabySitter.

I understand your concerns, they have been an issue since the start of operations in 2001 and they are very valid concerns. Try being away on course when your latest child is born, has happened to many of us.

Many of us have suggested a change to the way things are done, in order to make the job more attractive. So far nothing has changed, I do not expect anything to change, so the choice is jump in or walk away.

The 787, as things stand, is not an option for newhires, how things work out in the future, your guess is as good as mine. It will probably end up being the senior fleet, at this stage selection is based on seniority for Captains. If this continues for F/O's, well, plan on joining on the 767. I understand the plans are to keep the 767 freighters for a long time.

Trying to be as realistic as possible, not negative.

Totally understand and appreciate your candor. I've never thought the 787 option would be available to me initially anyway as a DEFO but it's just nice to know they are buying new aircraft, good sign for the future.
I fly 777's now and a 787 is just a fancy 777 :) so the aircraft type doesn't really bother me. The idea of flying a 767 actually sounds like a fun change.
As for the training you are totally right, I just need to make a decision one way or the other and commit to it. Cheers

gtseraf
22nd Dec 2017, 03:06
AJX does not own any aircraft, it dry leases them from ANA then wet leases them back (I think that's how it works).

Most of the flights we operate are an ANA callsign, except for 1 pax and 1 cargo pattern which use the Air Japan call sign.

Our cabin crew are all dedicated AJX cabin crew, though we have had some ANA cabin attendants on secondment to us.

Our management and check pilots are all ANA pilots on temporary secondment to AJX, as are most of the office staff.

Willing to Fly
22nd Dec 2017, 03:39
Bringbackthe80's - there's the problem. In 6 months, I'll have found something new to move to. Even though I prefer this position, my needs are a bit more immediate. Even JetStar recruits in 3 months which is still super long for anyone in North America.

Fratemate
22nd Dec 2017, 07:06
I really hope they decide to streamline the process for guys with a few thousand hours on a wide body to make the job more appealing.

Basically, as GTSeraf says, plan on that never happening. Glacial change is considered rash in these parts and they know aviation better than even the Australians, so expect no amendments to the way things are done. Many of us joined with quite 'a few thousand hours on a wide body' and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. Yes, it is incredibly frustrating but don't wait for it to change because you'll be pushing up daisies by then.

bringbackthe80s
22nd Dec 2017, 18:19
Basically, as GTSeraf says, plan on that never happening. Glacial change is considered rash in these parts and they know aviation better than even the Australians, so expect no amendments to the way things are done. Many of us joined with quite 'a few thousand hours on a wide body' and it made absolutely no difference whatsoever. Yes, it is incredibly frustrating but don't wait for it to change because you'll be pushing up daisies by then.

I guess we' ll see what happens. Never say never, if they need people they need people. And if not enough are willing to train for a year to go back in time to the 1980s then things will have to change. Quicker training and modern aircraft.

Like I said we' ll see what happens, but one thing is for sure, this is a great job in a great company in a great country, so good luck to all wishing to join.

seneca208
22nd Dec 2017, 19:58
Is it likely AJX will ever remove the prior Jet time requirement?

The Dominican
22nd Dec 2017, 22:02
Bringbackthe80's - there's the problem. In 6 months, I'll have found something new to move to. Even though I prefer this position, my needs are a bit more immediate. Even JetStar recruits in 3 months which is still super long for anyone in North America.

Ok a bit of correction here, training time is 6 months only until the SIM ride...., the entire training period is about 8.5 months including a 2 week brake in between SIM and line training.
That is fixed and it doesn't matter how long it is anywhere else.

gtseraf
22nd Dec 2017, 23:11
Hi Bringback

I'm not sure I'd be using the word "great" to describe aspects you have, I guess different backgrounds will influence one's opinion. It has the potential to be great but, in my opinion, there are a few issues which need sorting out first.

Having said that, it is good to see that there are people who are happy here, we need to see some stability in staff and some positivity, after all, we spend a lot of our time at work and the more we can enjoy it, the better

bigbuzz744
4th Jan 2018, 15:21
Thank all folks for the updates regarding AJX. Unfortunately, in aviation, there is no such thing as one size fits all. Seems like the rosters is going sour anywhere in the world. The truth is that all my pals around the world, in all airlines, are not happy regarding their rosters. Ajx soon or later might have to do something, if they want to expand. Its either money or a better life. Hardly ever you get both.

For me, it will work for my plans. Plans change in life over the years, that's why it is not always easy to everyone to stay in the same place for too long.

My question is:
Does AJX provide HTL accommodation, while you are in training? What about when you are laying over in Japan?
Can my wife be with me for longer periods at the HTL?

Sorry if does questions have been answered already, I just didn't have time to go through all them.

Thanks to all, and safe flights.

B757UK
5th Jan 2018, 11:59
Thank all folks for the updates regarding AJX. Unfortunately, in aviation, there is no such thing as one size fits all. Seems like the rosters is going sour anywhere in the world. The truth is that all my pals around the world, in all airlines, are not happy regarding their rosters. Ajx soon or later might have to do something, if they want to expand. Its either money or a better life. Hardly ever you get both.

For me, it will work for my plans. Plans change in life over the years, that's why it is not always easy to everyone to stay in the same place for too long.

My question is:
Does AJX provide HTL accommodation, while you are in training? What about when you are laying over in Japan?

Sorry if does questions have been answered already, I just didn't have time to go through all them.

BigBuzz - I don’t fly for AJX (yet - hopefully in the future) but I’ve had those same questions answered by the regular posters in here before..... AJX does provide your accommodation during the training period. Once Training is complete AJX no longer provides your accommodation in Narita - instead you get a monthly “accommodation allowance”. I believe they provide layover accommodation at destinations away from Narita.

You can have your wife with you for as much of the training as you like - but AJX will only pay for 2 of her visits and 1 for a child (if you have any).

That’s my understanding of it but like I say I don’t work for AJX yet so more than open to one of the posters that does to correct me!

Lepo
5th Jan 2018, 12:08

My question is:

While on training they provide you with accomodation. Usually it's an apartment.
After training is done and you're on the line it's up to you to find accomodation while in Japan, but they pay an accomodation allowance of USD550 per month to help you with that. The company only pays for hotels on layovers out of your base.

While on training you can bring your spouse for two periods of up to one week each and AJX will pay for that (hotel + flight ticket). If you want your wife to stay longer, that's not a problem, but you'll have to pay those extra days out of your pocket.

bigbuzz744
7th Jan 2018, 02:53
thank for the answers guys!

flyverylow
10th Jan 2018, 09:04
Hi All,
is there any age limit to join AJX as a NTR F/O as per their current offer?
Thanks
Btw, nice, polite forum, pleasure to read and follow ya'll.

gtseraf
10th Jan 2018, 22:45
flyverylow, give CREW/PARC/IASCO/Longreach a call and ask them , they will give the most accurate answer. In the past, the limit was 55 but that was when the retirement age was 60, now this is 65, so, I guess, it may be 60???

good luck

bigbuzz744
19th Jan 2018, 19:26
Hey guys one more question. How realistic is the upgrade program with AJX?

Not expecting an easy ride, but a fair program that really happens and not a ``trap`` to attract pilots and keep them going, like many airlines will do.

Thanks all! safe flights!

jrmyl
20th Jan 2018, 01:03

Not expecting an easy ride, but a fair program that really happens and not a ``trap`` to attract pilots and keep them going, like many airlines will do.

I would say that everyone is given a chance. It won't be handed to you though. You have to do the work to make it a success.

The Dominican
20th Jan 2018, 06:36

It is an active upgrade program and not a gimmick but as jrmyl said, it isn't a "given" from the guys that fail the upgrade evaluation phase, a lot of it is not really demonstrating command structure and understanding the ANA way of running the show.

Those guys are given another go at it a year later or so and most of them do get through the second time around.

bigbuzz744
20th Jan 2018, 13:37
Thanks JRMYl and The Dominican. As long as is not a gimmick one, Its fine.

Lepo
2nd Feb 2018, 08:13
Hello everyone!
I'm going to write here my experience on the screening as there's a lot of time no one posts an update about that.
Unfortunately I was not successful at the screening and I know exactly what I did wrong, so I will try be as detailed as I can on everything to help future candidates.

Screening Date: Jan/2018

Some important notes:
1 - Before even applying to this job READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD, EVERY SINGLE PAGE AND POST. I can't stress this enough. There's a lot of useful information here, not only about the screening, but also about the long training, about the company and its evolution throughout the years and about the positive and negatives of this contract. Things you might never thought about asking but that are useful are somewhere lost on all those pages. This is probably the best airline thread on Pprune. There are people here commited to providing accurate and insightful information about AJX, about flying in Japan and the contract. While I was reading I took notes/print screens of the pages with the posts I considered more helpful, so it would be easier to check those infos later. It helped me a lot and I would like to thank to all who contributed throughout these years, specially The Dominican, Fratemate, Jrmyl, Gtseraf and others.

2 - Have you flight hours and logbooks well organized and accurate. The JCAB requests some very specific kind of information, so having everything correct and updated will help you out filling the forms and checklists required for this job.

3 - Do your research on the ANA Group and Japanese culture. It will help you during the interview and while in Japan.

4 - Prepare the best you can for the simulator. It's the core of the screening process. If you don't do well there you won't suceed. Chair flying/mental flight, whatever you call it, know these profiles better than your name. I wrote a step by step guide with what I would have to do on each moment of each profile and also the pitch and power settings required for each of those phases. It helped me a lot to memorize everything.

Initial Application:
Applied through Crew and recommend it. They were fast on replying my emails and on approving my application with AJX and very helpful with all doubts about the company and screening.

Travelling to Tokyo:
It took me around 30h to arrive in Tokyo as I came from Brazil. I had the chance to fly with ANA on the leg from the USA to Japan and enjoyed it very much. Their service is way ahead of traditional american legacy carriers.
Try to adjust your sleep pattern to Tokyo's timezone as much as you can on your flight. It will help to be awake and well rested on the screening day.
I arrived through Narita, took the Limousine Bus to Haneda and the Keikyu Line to Otorii Station, which is right next to the hotel they put you. All very simple, safe and organized. Very different from what I'm used to in Brazil.
The hotel room is quite small, but it's clean and there's space to hang your suit and other clothes. Wifi works very well. Not all the hotel staff speak good english, so they might have difficulty understanding you sometimes. The breakfast is Japanese style, quite different from western countries, but there's a 7-11 right in front of the hotel where you can buy some stuff (including small meals if you're too lazy or tired to look for a restaurant) and there's a Mc Donald's about 400m away. There's no tipping of any kind in Japan (restaurants, cabs, hotels, nothing is tipped).
Sleep as much as you can on the first night.

Screening:
Crew's representative in Tokyo met me at the hotel lobby on the assigned time and we took a cab to ANA Training Centre, which is just a few minutes away.
The screening started with the paper test. It's based on the FAA ATP. 20 questions. It differs quite a bit from the Brazilian regulations, but I used an app called Prepware, which contained all the questions. It's available on Google Play/Apple Store for 10 USD. So do all the ATP Multi Engine questions on this app and you'll be well covered for the test.

After that there's the SIM orientation with HR and the Check Captains. They will read some initial informations and then play a recording about the sim session, stopping from time to time to explain some stuff on the board. Know your pitch and power settings for each fase of flight. They will ask you that and you should know because on the sim check guidance sent by Crew there's a table with this information. Take notes about what they say and ask all your doubts. They are very open and helpful.
When the orientation is done there's a 10min break and then it's interview time. REMEMBER TO SPEAK SLOWLY. This is a big issue for them, they're not native english speakers and have different proficiency levels. One check captain specifically was very difficult to understand as he spoke very basic english and with a hell of a strong accent. Slow down your pace so that all of them can understand you.
All five will be seating one next to each other in a long table and you'll be seating in a small one in front of them. First questions were from HR, they asked my first impressions from Japan and then to talk quickly about me and my aviation carreer. Then they asked what I knew about the ANA Group, why I wanted to join AJX, what my family and girlfriend thought about that, how did I prepare for this interview, if I had sim practise before coming to Japan, when I had had received the sim profile, how I would keep motivated during the long training, what would I do if I was struggling to succeed on training, what I would I do if my sim partner was struggling to succeed or was not motivated or did not want to study and practise for sessions, if I get nervous before sim evaluations. They asked when I would be able to join AJX, my notice period and they asked A LOT of questions about my current airline. I don't know if they were genuinely curious as I believe there shouldn't be many candidates from Brazil or they just wanted to test if I really knew about the place I'm working, but they made it very clear that I didn't have to answer any question I didn't feel comfortable with. They asked about fleet size, how many pilots work for the airline, my operating base, if we have layovers, how many legs a day we usually fly, the longest and shortest flights we do, the destinations where we operate, if the airline is expanding, how long would it take for me to be upgraded to captain and etc.
Then they passed the word to the check captains. The first one asked about the memory itens of the engine fire non normal checklist on the airplane I fly (they wanted me to tell the actions as if I were actually doing the checklist, like "thrust levers, confirm, close" and etc), then asked my concept of CRM, if we had callouts at my airline and the importance of them on the operation. Also asked my actions if I had an engine failure in cruise with VNAV engaged, how would I decide the cruise flight level after the failure (they were interested in obstacle/terrain clearance and how would I know the altitude of the highest obstacle in the area I was flying) and also asked about runway lighting, both for centerline and runway edge lights. The second captain certainly did a previous research on my airline and asked me to explain about the only accident on the company history and what happened there (he even knew the flight number), asked about what was TCAS, how does it work, how long before the possible impact you receive a TA and RA. He asked if I had a RA to climb and ATC asked me to descend what would I do, if I was at the certified operational ceiling of the aircraft and had a RA to climb, what would I do. He also asked when could I go below DH (he wanted me to say both about visual cues and being stabilized on loc/glide). The last captain asked me what do I do to improve my flying skills, what is MSA and gave me a scenario where our ATC clearance was to climb to FL290, but restricted to 7000ft until further instructions. If we had a lost comms under radar control in this scenario what would I do.

About a 20min break then Sim Session.
It's exactly the same that is on the sim guidance. Seat on the chair, adjust height, distance, shoulder harness, headset and lighting. They will give a brief explanation about the panel and answer any other question you might have.

Importante notes:
1 - Acknowledge every single radio transmission by ATC with a thumbs up or by saying roger/ok. The PM won't readback until you do it. After he reads back confirm the instruction given by atc and change mcp accordingly/if necessary.
2 - This is not in the briefing. They want you to say "right/left side clear" before every turn, even on IMC. It's difficult to remember that sometimes and might not make any sense, but they like it, so on your mental flight remember training that.

3 - This is also not on the guidance they send you, but they want you to say "checked" for every callout the PM says. So it's not only on the 80kt callout, but also on the V1/Rotate/V2, FMA announcements, approaching minimums, minimus, 1 dot to final approach course (on the vor approach), glide slope alive and etc. You have to say "checked" for whatever the PM says. They like that. So remember to put that on your chair/mental flight too.

4 - Briefings are REALLY short. Basically weather suitable for departure/approach, flaps used for takeoff/landing, takeoff speeds/vref, authorization given on departure, rejected takeoff briefing, the briefing strip on jepp plate and missed approach procedure. No need to do a step by step explanation of the procedures/charts.

5 - The PM is passive. He won't do anything unless you tell him so. You have to tell him to report when joining downwind on the visual, to report high station and on final approach course on the vor, to expand his vor and advise one dot, to start time on both visual and vor approaches, to report established on the ILS and etc. There are some things you can do to help you remember when to ask for some of the checklists. After every briefing there's a checklist. If you are on the ground, after departure briefing comes the before takeoff checklist. If you are inflight, after the approach briefing comes the descent and approach checklists. Whenever you reach 3000ft on the normal takeoff profiles ask for the after takeoff checklist. The PM will call when the landing gear is 3 green. That's when you ask for the landing checklist to the dashed line. He'll also call when flaps reach 30. That's when you ask to complete the landing checklist.

6 - After you reach 3000ft they will position freeze the aircraft until you finish your approach preparations and tell atc you're ready for the approach.

Then it starts with a training non evaluated 3 mile final autocoupled ILS approach followed by autolanding. All you have to do is watch it do its own thing. Pay attention to N1, pitch, vertical speed and how the papi goes from 2red/2white to 3red/1white on short final and how to flare. Don't forget to apply full reverse thrust, disengage the autopilot by 80kt, stow reversers by 60kt, apply manual brakes, stop on the runway and set parking brake.
After that it's a non evaluated visual approach.
Start by setting up the MCP (V2, runway hdg and altitude 0), set speed and altitude bugs, autobrake rto and flap 5. Ask the PM to get the weather and atc clearance. Set MCP accordingly (HDG and Altitude). Do your takeoff briefing. Ask for the before takeoff checklist, then get takeoff clearance and do as it's in the sim check guidance. Don't forget the right/left side clear call before turns. After you join downwind disconnect the autopilot and maintain pitch 5 and 62/63% N1. You won't have to change power setting for the rest of the approach, except for adding 1 or 2% N1 while turning to final so that speed won't drop. Then return to 62/63. Don't forget to correct the wind on downwind to stay on the 2.0nm X-Track error. Add 2 or 3 degrees on your heading to compensate the wind.
Whenever you ask for Gear Down and Flaps 20 momentarily lower the pitch to 2.5 to avoid the balloon efect, then return to 5.
When you reach 35s after abeam the threshold the first thing you must do is start turning base. They don't want you to delay that. Then ask for F/D off, flaps 30, speed 140kt, arm speed brake and conduct your landing checklist after the 3 green call from the PM. Wait until you reach 140kt to start descending and do a defined base leg (even if it's just for a few seconds), that's how they want you to do it. Then maintain 2.5 pitch and 62/63% N1 for the whole time and you'll be able to fly a stabilised approach on path. In case you get high or low correct path as quickly as you can, but don't go over 1000fpm below 1000ft. Don't forget to go 3 red/1 white on the last couple hundred of feet. The sim is quite touchy and there's no speedtape (at least in my sim there wasn't), so you really need to cross check all the instruments every 3/4 seconds. Very gentle movements of the yoke, avoid large corrections. Don't try to grease the landing. Aim on the touchdown zone.

As this was just a training non evaluated session they will tell you what you did wrong and how they want you to do it.

Then it starts all again, but this time for real.

One important thing that I forgot to say is when you descend from 3000ft to 1500ft for the visual or from 3000ft to 2000ft (or 1600ft depending on atc instruction) for the VOR approach you'll use V/S. Usually around 1000ft/min for changes of 1000ft or more. There's some kind of delay on the auto throtlle and power won't decrease as necessary to maintain the desired airspeed (don't know if it's like this on the aircraft or a sim glitch), so just pull back the thrust levers to idle or your speed will increase and then let the auto throttle add power again as necessary to maintain your bug speed.
For the VOR approach the only difference from the sim guidance was that ATC asked me to maintain 3000 until high station.
Wait until the needles on the RMI turn to report high station and start time. While on the outbound leg don't forget to set 500ft on the altitude window on the mcp after you hear the ALT HOLD call at 1600ft, check the PM has his VOR in manual and final approach course set on his side and set the HDG bug to 120 as this will be you next heading. While on procedure turn don't forget to ask the PM to expand his VOR and advise 1 dot. On final approach course descend to 500ft and maintain final approach course until the PM report runway in sight. Use power around 75% to maintain 140kt at 500ft. Set missed approach altitude after ALT HOLD on 500ft. Align with the runway and start descending on path after vdp or visual with papi. Power 62/63% and pitch 2.5.

For the V1 cut don't forget to keep your ball centered and avoid using aileron. After 400ft you may use rudder trim. Pay attention to stay around 5 units.
Remember there won't be autothrottle with single engine so you'll have to adjust speed manually after reaching 3000ft. Set around 78-80% N1 to maintain 195kt.
Declare emergency around 1500ft and tell atc to standby for intentions.
After checking the weather is suitable for the approach you may request vectors for the ILS, but only do that after you're done with the engine failure and shutdown and the after takeoff checklists.
While descending to 1600ft during radar vector pay attention on power setting for maintaing desired airspeed.
After the glide slope alive call, ask for gear down, flaps 20, speed 149kt and arm the speed brake. When the PM calls for 3 green ask for the landing the checklist. Don't reduce power too fast to slow down from 175 to 149kt, or you will cause yourself trouble with large thrust and, consequently, rudder variations. There's a post a few years back by Fratemate with a suggested technique that really worked for me. Set power around 70% N1 and speed will slowly drift from 175kt to 149kt and will pretty much coincide with G/S capture. Then power around 67% N1 and follow LOC and G/S guidance (flight director will be available for the whole V1 cut/ILS scenario, but don't forget to check the LOC and Glide dots). Don't forget to set missed approach altitude after G/S capture. Remember you are single engine, so just one reverser available after touchdown.

The reason for my failure:
The visual and VOR approaches went pretty much as on the profiles. I think I started descending a little bit earlier than the vdp on the vor, but I managed to stay on path.
The big problem was basically on the single engine ILS. When I reached 3000ft I let speed go to 205kt before correcting power setting to slow back to 195kt, but that was a minor error. I used a rudder trim setting larger than necessary and it took me some time to correct it, but I think that was not the biggest problem as well.
I managed to come pretty stabilized on most of the approach, but after G/S capture I let the speed drop. Target speed was 149kt and I kept it variating between 145 and 148kt most of the time. I did callout that I was correcting airspeed but my power inputs were low and slow and I couldn't reach 149kt. I knew I was slow, but was afraid of using too much power to correct airspeed and becoming unstable. It was a fatal error. After stoping on the runway the first and only thing the observer captain told me was that if I am slow I need to add more power, because the slower I am the more drag I will have.
I knew I had messed it up and wouldn't get the positive result.

Later that night I got the email saying I didn't meet AJX requirements. I was the only candidate on that day, don't know if there were other people on different days.

I am deeply saddened with the outcome. I prepared the best I could, had the whole sim profile completely memorized, knew my pitch and power settings for every phase of flight, did my job preparing for the tech and hr questions on the interview and was confident I would be able to make it, but failed on a simple, but important thing, which is maintaining correct airspeed on the single engine final approach.

I really wanted to succeed and was looking forward to working for AJX. I'm very disappointed with myself for throwing away this opportunity. I don't know if I'll be able to apply to AJX again one day, but I certainly learned a lot from this screening and will take that for my carreer. I'm still young and hopefully other good opportunities will cross my path.

Sorry for the very long text, but I hope this helps future candidates. If anyone has any further question feel free to PM me or ask below on this thread. I will keep an eye here.

Good luck!

Who stole my meds
2nd Feb 2018, 11:26
Sorry to hear you didn't make it through Lepo. Sounds like a tough nut to crack but thank you for your interview synopsis.

trancada
2nd Feb 2018, 15:47
Lepo thanks for this report with is very helpful.
With aircraft are you flying?

I am considering to apply. I am an experienced F/O on Airbus 320. Do you think that their salaries are good for family, to live there comfortable? Couple+2 kids?(1 and 4 years)

Lepo
2nd Feb 2018, 17:01
Lepo thanks for this report with is very helpful.
With aircraft are you flying?

I am considering to apply. I am an experienced F/O on Airbus 320. Do you think that their salaries are good for family, to live there comfortable? Couple+2 kids?(1 and 4 years)

I'm flying the 737NG.

Where is exactly the "live there"?
This a commuting contract, they don't provide any kind of visa or help in any way to live in Japan. Theoretically you're not supposed to live there. If you have the right to live in Japan you'll have to figure relocation and taxes on your own.

I'd say the money is enough to have a decent comfortable life almost everywhere in the world, but this is very personal, depends on each person's lifestyle and necessities. If you want information specifically about the cost of life in Tokyo you'd better look at specialized websites, like Numbeo, or talk to people who are actually living in Japan.

gtseraf
2nd Feb 2018, 21:09
fantastic feedback Lepo, sorry you were not successful, sounds like you put lots of effort into it. All the best of luck with your future.

The last 9 months or so, the classes have been less than half full.

Who stole my meds
3rd Feb 2018, 03:49
Out of curiosity gtseraf what is the size of a full class? 4,6,8 or 10 people?

gtseraf
3rd Feb 2018, 03:51
usually 8 per course

atldrvr
3rd Feb 2018, 04:04
January course has 2 and March course is scheduled for 3, so not even coming close to meeting the numbers they need.

Fratemate
3rd Feb 2018, 07:45
That's a great write-up, Lepo and I know it will help any potential AJXer. I'm sorry you didn't get through but you're correct that it is normally the sim check where people fall down. The checker was correct in what he said. Once you get slow, especially on one engine, it requires a lot of power to get back (from the 'backside' as they like to call it) and that can often then destabilise the approach. It seems a bit harsh to fail you for that when it's your first attempt at flying the thing but I don't think we'll ever understand the decisions of some of the selectors.

One thing I would like to clarify is your advice regarding 'check'checked':

3 - This is also not on the guidance they send you, but they want you to say "checked" for every callout the PM says. So it's not only on the 80kt callout, but also on the V1/Rotate/V2, FMA announcements, approaching minimums, minimus, 1 dot to final approach course (on the vor approach), glide slope alive and etc. You have to say "checked" for whatever the PM says. They like that. So remember to put that on your chair/mental flight too.

They certainly like the word but definitely not used on V1/Rotate/V2. FMA announcements are the FMA announcements; so both pilots will say "Alt Cap", for instance, not "check/ed". "Approaching minimums"-"Check/ed". "Minimums" - "Landing/Go-Around". One dot is fine but "Glideslope alive" etc are a repeat of "Glideslope alive".

I, personally, can't believe they can be picky about details like that when you don't yet work for the company and they're not your SOPs. It does show that you've put the time in and they love a bit of studying but they really do have a firm grasp of the inconsequential. I don't know why I'm even surprised, you would have thought I'd have learnt by now 😲

I think the rest of your report was great and I'm SO glad you managed to pick up on the absolutely ESSENTIAL call of "left side in cloud" :ugh::ugh::ugh:

bringbackthe80s
3rd Feb 2018, 08:41
January course has 2 and March course is scheduled for 3, so not even coming close to meeting the numbers they need.

This can only be good for terms and conditions!

bringbackthe80s
5th Feb 2018, 07:50
Lepo thank you for this very informative post. Sorry it didn't go well for you.

Guys already at AJX, sorry to keep asking the same questions but things do change quickly in our line of work so I'm just asking for an update here.
(Before I apply and burn my candle too quickly) Any recent history of a DEC hired with only Airbus experience (9000+ hrs) and no JCAB licence? Any rumors of this maybe?

Sorry and thanks

gtseraf
5th Feb 2018, 08:43
Hi bringback

Sorry, haven't heard THAT rumour, as far as I know, still only JCAB licences being taken for DEC. The best way to find out is to give one of the contract companies, Crew or Longreach would be my recommendation for now. Get the info straight from the horse's mouth!!

haha, good for terms and conditions, don't see much changing in a rush!

Machpoint89
8th Feb 2018, 23:42
Lepo thank you for this very informative post. Sorry it didn't go well for you.

Guys already at AJX, sorry to keep asking the same questions but things do change quickly in our line of work so I'm just asking for an update here.
(Before I apply and burn my candle too quickly) Any recent history of a DEC hired with only Airbus experience (9000+ hrs) and no JCAB licence? Any rumors of this maybe?

Sorry and thanks

Sorry to say, but JCAB License is a must at AJX for DEC.

Broomstick Flier
10th Feb 2018, 20:55
Hi Lepo,

I am sorry you did not manage to pass, you seem to have invested a lot of time and study on it. Many thanks for the very detailed account, will be a favourite post in the future, no doubt.

I understand that had you pass, the medical would be the next step?

Another question, did you make your assessment on the sim, seated on the LHS or RHS?

All the best in your next endeavours!

BF