PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15

Armani
20th Nov 2014, 18:08
Ronand.

For your second question,
If you presently have a job, I would not consider coming here.
There are ongoing random casualties here at AJX.
As of lately they executed a copilot during SIM training, and also a JCAB rated Captain with several Type ratings and many years experience in Japan for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Presently we have a group of executioners, sorry I meant to say Japanese instructors that seem to enjoy locking on to cadets and either making their life miserable while in training or as what seems to be the latest trend, discontinue training and face termination.
This is not a happy place to work even if it looks good on paper, but a job is a job.

Cheers Mate

Kraus
20th Nov 2014, 20:55
Armani neglected to mention, if you fail a SIM online, they stop your salary until such time as you pass. This is new, AJX/V was never like that.

This draconian approach is not lifting flying standards, we just had an aircraft try to take off with flaps 1 set and were only stopped by the config warning.

767 Autopilot
24th Nov 2014, 09:58
Armani, you must be new here. We have many happy pilots, some over 15 years here, many on their third or fourth contract.
AJX(V) have always had some training failures, and 99% of them are because of Attitude. Saying that some-one was fired for no reason is naïve. There is always a good reason a pilot, to whose training company has invested a lot of time and money, gets fired.
It does not matter how many type ratings or licenses or hours you have, if you are not a right fit for this job, they will get rid of you. This contract is not for everyone.

Kraus, if you fail a re-currency check and go non current, the pay will stop until you are current. This is nothing new, has happened before, just ask around.
Lately we have had some failures in the sim- and line-checks because of a combination of silly mistakes (ie "I F....messed UP" -:ugh: can happen to any-one) and poor preparation. No-one has been fired for these (except one last year, but he had a very bad attitude about it. A special case).
If you prepare properly and actually study and show a good attitude, you will not have a problem. If you fail, you get put to a training program and will be back to line very fast and training will continue until they thing that you no longer need it.

If you boys are not happy, I suggest you find a new gig because based of your comments I do not want to sit next to you for 6 to 8 hours while you bitch about your miserable job.

Happy cockpit is a safe cockpit.:)

remote
27th Nov 2014, 13:46
KRAUS

It's been a while, but i seem to remember regularly departing in hot temps in a B767-300 with flap 1 set...under "improved climb" in the performance tables

Hence to say, flap 1 take offs should not trigger the T/O config warning.

dustyskies
27th Nov 2014, 15:46
Anyone who can PM me a roster?? Would like to see what a typically month looks like!

Thanks a lot!

turboV1
29th Nov 2014, 17:28
I would also appreciate a glimpse at a roster!

Armani
29th Nov 2014, 18:10
767 Autopilot:

No Mate, I am by no means new to this outfit.
I disagree that most of the crowd is happy at AJX. In my opinion (not yours) this is not a Happy place to work, and there is random damage during training, and thereafter. Attitude is important in Japan, granted. But in this company there is unfair treatment and terminations going on, and I think the Blokes that are considering working here should know before they leave their present job and set out for this Circus as they might find themselves out of a job all of a sudden. The contract only looks good on paper.
FYI. The Captain that had his training discontinued 6 days before his JCAB line check had a good attitude, many years experience as a Captain in Japan, studied, and knew his environment as well as anyone online here. Naive you say? Not likely.
No need for you to tell me, or others to find another gig if our opinions differ from yours, we all have the right to our opinions, and come from different aspects of life so don't be so fast to judge.

Cheers.

atlanticjet
29th Nov 2014, 19:20
Just like you've said Armani, I'm entitled to my own opinion, however, I have to pull a major b.s. flag on your statement that most are unhappy here. Sure you can't make everyone happy, but "most" ? I haven't been here that long, but for the most part the guys and a gal have been out standing to fly with, (of course there is that special 10% "moron" category but unfortunately that can be found at any airline).
Oh and just because you get hired by AJX or any other airline for that fact, doesn't guarantee you a 100% training pass rate. If you're a wash out, you're a wash out plain and simple. This is not an easy program. 8 month of non-stop "brain f@cking" will do it to most. You claim you've been here for a while, perhaps you remember a few years back the pass rate here was more like 20-40%, as compared to today ratio of 90-100%. I think that is a significant improvement and yes, again, not everyone will pass.

gtseraf
29th Nov 2014, 22:04
Hey Devine

Now that you are mentioning specific names, go all the way and identify the western instructor, there are only 2 of us with that background. Even better, grow some balls and do this personally.

The Dominican
29th Nov 2014, 23:28
What I want to know is in what job in the expat pilot market there isn't a 10-20% average washout rate?

Where is training NOT riddled with politics and cultural implications?

We do have some angry characters here that bitch and moan to anyone that would care to listen but they don't do anything about it, attrition levels are pretty much negligible although there are a lot of options out there right now, the opposite is the case we have had several guys going somewhere else just to come back here after a few years...., Why? Most jobs you have to pay for a training bond or pay for your own rating, you will get a reduced salary during training and the so called "commuting options" are 6 weeks on and 2 weeks off..! Most jobs out there work their pilots like dogs..., guys are flying 900+ hours per year and in most jobs you are lucky if you get more than 8 consecutive days off a month, most of the commuting options will have guys doing two or even three sectors where there is a direct flight available because every time the company will get the cheapest ticket they can find, they don't care if you take 20 hours to get home in a commute that is normally 8 hours. Guys being pulled into the chief pilot's office because they did a "Go Around" or because they requested more fuel, people smoking in the flight deck and countless other ridiculous nonsense that we don't deal with here at all.

Newsflash boys and girls..., there are no greener pastures, there are only different shades of brown!

Armani
30th Nov 2014, 03:13
Atlanticjet:

Please read my post again more carefully Mate, I did not write "most people are unhappy here".
For you second statement, of course we all know there are no guarantees, but that's besides the point of what is still going on here isn't it?

Cheers

BoxFly
30th Nov 2014, 09:26
Devine,

Of the pilots you mention you couldn't be more off the mark. If these guys are your definition of "having no honor" it makes me question how long you've been in this business.

Armani,

What is going on here? It's the same thing that's been going on since the beginning. It's a cadet program. Period. If you need the "make me feel good/stroke my ego" program this isn't your airline. It really is that simple.

Armani
1st Dec 2014, 06:34
BoxFly:

I never said that what is going on here is something new Mate.
But please do not provide only positive feedback about this company, because this isn't the Rolls Royce of contracts. People should know and have the right to know what's waiting for them here in the land of Kabuki. I have no problem that you disagree with my opinions. Respect however that people may have other opinions than your own. Lets leave it like that and we can agree to disagree.

Cheers.

The Dominican
1st Dec 2014, 07:58
But please do not provide only positive feedback about this company, because this isn't the Rolls Royce of contracts.t
Hum....? :=

You claim to have been here for a while but you sure as hell have not been following this thread, the challenges of training, washout rates (including when they go up) and all negative aspects have been explained here over and over again...! Just go back to the time of the merger and follow along from there.
One thing you cannot accuse any of the regular contributors here is of pumping sunshine.....!

enthusiast
3rd Dec 2014, 17:23
Does air japan have any plan confirmed to accomodate another wide body like b777 or b787 soon?:)

jrmyl
3rd Dec 2014, 17:37
No. Just rumors.

enthusiast
3rd Dec 2014, 17:51
Thanks a lot jrmyl. But disappointed in it.:(

Armani
4th Dec 2014, 09:45
The Dominican:

I have only been referring to recent events :=
And Yes, we all know how to scroll back to look up old information Mate.
Lay off the Kool Aid.

Cheers.

ymdemar
4th Dec 2014, 20:09
Hi Fratemate, I've just applied for AJX could you confirm me that it's not possible to become resident in tokio and move the family there with this kind of contract.

Best Regards

Fratemate
6th Dec 2014, 23:37
Hi Ymdemar,

The job is clearly a commuting contract and AJX will not assist in any way in obtaining residential visas. During initial training you will be provided with a Visitors Visa (or Alien Registration Card) but once training is complete you will hand that back and the come and go from Japan just as any other international pilots would do on a Shore Pass, which is valid for 7 days.

There are a few guys here who are married to Japanese girls and obviously they can reside in Japan and their kids can go to the schools etc. There are also one or two pilots who split their days off into smaller blocks (i.e. less than the 7 day limit of the Shore Pass) and have these days off in Japan. Effectively they are living in Japan but they are not residents, if that makes sense. However, the ones I'm thinking of have no kids in the country and obviously do not use the Japanese infrastructure of schools, government departments etc.

So, in short, you cannot get a Residents' Visa through AJX to live in Japan and move your family there. It may be possible to arrange your situation to stay there during your time off but I would imagine you'd then have to pay fairly large fees for schools etc. I don't know this for sure but no doubt someone else will correct me if I've got it wrong.

If it helps at all, we have 3 (?) Italian pilots who commute back and forth to Italy and I have not heard of them having any problems with the commuting side of things.

ymdemar
8th Dec 2014, 06:31
Thank You very much Fratemate.

gcpilot8
9th Dec 2014, 01:41
we have 3 (?) Italian pilots who commute back and forth to Italy

Just curious, what countries make up the majority/top groups of commuting pilots at AJX? Any pilots from the sub continent?

jrmyl
9th Dec 2014, 01:42
We do have one that I believe is originally from the sub-continent, but he now lives and commutes to Kuala Lumpur. Frate or Dom can correct me if I'm wrong on that one, though.

I would guess most are Aussie. But there are a large number of Americans and Europeans.

Capt Coco
12th Dec 2014, 12:51
Hi ymdema,

There are ways to get a visa for your wife and or your family if you really want to stay and live full time in Japan, a few guys have done it over the years. The company (AJX) will not assist in anyway though, and you will have to sort that out by yourself. There are a couple of lawyers in Narita that are very good with setting this up and speak very good English that can help. Different options involve setting up Japanese companies (surprisingly easy to do) or student visas for your kids (requiring Adult supervisor visas) etc......International schooling can be expensive here though, so think long and hard about it if you have a number of children. Commuting to Italy is always another option.

Cheers.

lowspeedaluminium
12th Dec 2014, 17:05
Are there any guys who commute from Vancouver? If so, how do you find the commute and quality of life?
My Mrs is from B.C. and anxious to get back there...
I'm already typed with plenty of Boeing experience / considering the Vancouver screening coming up. Any insight appreciated :ok:

Fratemate
13th Dec 2014, 03:58
lowspeedaluminium,

I know that one of our Australian pilots commutes to Vancouver due to his other half being there. He told me the flights are normally quite full so ZED travel is not always an option but, as he has the C Class capability, he has no problems getting home. He's one of the lucky ones who have a direct flight from NRT :)

Armani
14th Dec 2014, 08:24
FYI.

Just a few days ago, another DEC trainee had his training stopped, and then got fired. This is the second case in a very short time where they discontinue the Line training right before the Final JCAB check, cancel the JCAB check, and fire the trainee. The last two guys were already JCAB rated, with more than 15 years experience flying as Captain in Japan ranging from DC10, B747, B744, B737, B767. They both were great and polite Mates, Switched on, knew their environment well, studied hard, and performed well. One can question the action of the AJX management pilots.
I can guarantee that these Blokes performed well above the required standard.
Seems like AJX management just want to show the JCAB how severe they can be, and put on the standard theatrical “Kabuki” play. Failing people when they are performing to/and above standards is wrong. It’s really pathetic, and what a complete waste of resources ( so what’s new). It is of course AJX’s Loss.

This place has been getting worse over time, and this is not a happy place to work. It is just a Job and a Very Low cost operation.
Countless Captain and First Officer Careers and Families have been ruined here.
AJX has reached the Korean Airlines level, and they have the same practices.
In fact it is borderline Skymark Airlines behavior. Lately we have had Captains leaving for Ethiad and other Airlines. AJX has become a springboard for better opportunities.
If you are considering working here you should take this into account, and as I have mentioned before, the Terms & Conditions looks good on paper but it is just a facade. Unless you need a job, then think carefully before you quit your day job.

Cheers, and Happy Holidays.

galdian
14th Dec 2014, 10:12
ARMANI san (showing respect, the san bit)

I take offence when you say the recent DEC termination is "borderline Skymark Airlines behaviour."

It is EXACTLY in line with Skymark Airlines behaviour, whether because of the recruiting OR the training the OTHER part of JALmark (apologies, SKYmark) will be blamed: adequate recruiting Vs inadequate training OR inadequate recruiting Vs untrainable trainees.

Whilst the children squabble the entity is destroyed. So sad, so sad! :{

Maybe you're just catching up with some "ethnic cleansing" as Jet* Japan has done so effectively, 12-18 months ago 20 gaijin Captains today (happy to be corrected) one or two.
Pilots sacked by JAL...who want J*starJapan ....who NEED J*starJapan to be as inefficiect and backward as JAL....from where they were dismissed because the whole organisation was....inefficient and backward.

So backward to the future - hey, they could probably make a movie about that!!

All "independant" airlines in Japan have suffered from the JAL bankrupcy, SKY more than most because they picked up more of their "mates".

More could be said regards the changes in SKY regards safety and efficiency with the "JAL invasion"....but that is another question.

Once again - maybe the start of "ethnic cleansing" within AirJapan??

Cheers
galdian :ok:

atlanticjet
14th Dec 2014, 14:33
We only have like what 25 Japanese pilots out of almost 250 total pilots. Wow, that's quite a bit of "ethnic cleansing" to go through ! Hahahaha, some of the stuff that gets posted on here is truly amazing at times. Hey, good entertainment though ! :D

atlanticjet
14th Dec 2014, 15:04
Armani, I'm not gonna start a pissing match with you, but if you're gonna post something at least make it a bit more credible. We only had one captain go to Abu Dhabi and one or two joining from there recently, not to mention a bunch of Emirates guys. Korean, well I can tell right now you obviously never worked there, so just lay that one to rest please.
Finally, I actually know one of the sacked DECs that you keep on advertising. Well, let's just say he was "hanging by a thread" at his former 2 Japanese airlines before AJX. Whatever happened to him, the general consensus even among the majority of expats (obviously not you) is that he was definitely not the right fit for this company.
Anyway, I'm not defending anyone or anything, but just correcting the facts. If you disagree let's meet at the Barge for a few cold ones and work on our rumor control !

Armani
14th Dec 2014, 15:44
Galdian San: I agree with you, and no I am not just now beginning to understand or catch up with the Ethnic Cleansing going on here in Japan Mate.

Atlanticjet San: What needs to be more credible? I simply stated " Captains leaving for Ethiad and other airlines" these are facts Mate.
About KAL, one doesn't have to work there to understand what goes on, and sadly we have the same practices right here at AJX firing people without an honest reason. This isn't something new, but hopefully people take this into consideration so they understand what could happen to them by coming here. We are used to the training environment here in Japan, but someone that has never been exposed to it will be in for a surprise. I am just referring to recent events.

BTW, none of the two DEC's was ever in trouble or holding on by a thread at their previous airlines Mate.

Cheers.

blink
15th Dec 2014, 01:46
Atlanticjet - I'm raising the BS flag on this one. I happen to know both mates that were recently sacked very well and they were MOST DEFINITELY NOT hanging by a thread at their previous carriers prior to joining that dysfunctional group that you so vehemently defend. Both have been captains in Japan for well over 10 years as Captain on several different type's. I'm betting this is your first stint in Japan and you think you know, but you really don't. Also, the 25 or so Japanese at AJX compared to the 250 foreigners - Seriously? You and your company belong under the ANA group where the Japanese are 2000+ pilots strong compared to the 250 foreign devil's there. You are nothing but a cheap contract pilot whore to them and they will never accept you as one of them. The second that ANA starts having financial troubles, you will be the first to go. Guaranteed. Just ask all the JALways pilot's what happened to them, including the one that recently got terminated and was there for 16+ years. Review your facts and lay off the Kool-Aid.

iflysky
15th Dec 2014, 04:49
And this is coming from a fella that obviously works for AJX !?!?

Capt Coco
15th Dec 2014, 09:28
Armani, blink

Log onto the CIS and check again......he hasn't been sacked(not yet anyway) he has been assigned more training. On the CIS it looks like Dec, Jan and maybe Feb.

I heard him in the locker room telling one of his mates that he has been assigned 2 more months training.

I do realise some people take that as having failed (being sacked) but over the years some people have got through the extra training some people haven't.

atldrvr
15th Dec 2014, 13:42
The one captain we had that went to Etihad did not leave AJX because he hated working here. He left because he did want to commute anymore and hoped that at Etihad he would be able to spend more time with his family.

The recent DEC was not signed off for his JCAB ride and has been assigned more training. I do not know the guy but have heard rumors that maybe his attitude was not the greatest. As has been mentioned previously your attitude plays a big part in training. You just have to be humble, bite your tongue, and accept the criticism during training. Everyone who comes here has experience but during training you are treated like a cadet and for some people that is hard to accept.

For guys considering coming to AJX there are a lot of us here who still enjoy the job and the flexibility it offers. I am sure there are people who are miserable here just like at every airline but most of the guys I have flown with are happy to be here. It is not all doom and gloom like certain people make it out to be.

dynamicd
15th Dec 2014, 19:43
I have just started reading this thread from page one. I am now on 15. I am going to read everything. i am not being lazy but Because I want to get an application in Asap before it closes and I havent reached where I can find an answer to this . Please someone kindly help me , Ive seen Parc,longreach and rishworth are all advertising for air japan F/O position. Does one apply to all the agencies advertising and see which one can get you an interview? or do you just choose only one agency apply through them,and hope you get called.

thanks.

Fratemate
15th Dec 2014, 23:17
It is normal to apply through one agency but some people have applied through two and taken the one that offers the first chance at the assessment. Once you agree to attend the selection process then you'll be stuck with that agency.

The principal agencies for this job are CREW and PARC, with Longreach mainly being used by the Qantas pilots on leave without pay. I believe Rishworth simply collect names and then hand them over to CREW and most people start sucking their teeth when Rishworth are mentioned and wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. My preference would be CREW, then PARC.

dynamicd
16th Dec 2014, 15:05
Thank you fratemate

Tiny Tango
17th Dec 2014, 16:40
Hi,

I'm in touch with Parc at the moment as I am interested in applying for an FO position.

I've been told that the command type rating is no longer a requirement and that P2 restricted type ratings will now be accepted.

They also said that the 100 hour PIC cross country requirement can be fulfilled with PICUS time.

Has anybody working for AJX or anybody currently going through the application process heard of this change in the requirements?

Thanks

The Dominican
17th Dec 2014, 17:21
Tiny Tango....!

If the information you were given is correct (not suggesting it isn't, just haven't heard it before) this is a complete reversal of their long standing policy:confused:

Tiny Tango
17th Dec 2014, 17:43
I've read the thread and it seems to have been a strictly enforced requirement, so I was really surprised when she told me otherwise.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised, as I have a P2 restricted TR and I am also short of PIC cross country hours.

I am still a little hesitant to believe it though. I would hate to go through the 6-8 month training process just to be fired because I'm short of a few cross country PIC hours (what happened to that other FO).

I will get Parc to check and confirm it.

The Dominican
17th Dec 2014, 18:33
He was NOT fired, since the company didn't pick up the discrepancy, he was sent to Cali where ANA has the training academy and he did whatever hours he was missing on a Cessna, then he came back and finished his training:ok:

Tiny Tango
17th Dec 2014, 18:45
Oh, nice! :D I thought he did the hour building himself and then had to reapply.

Armani
19th Dec 2014, 17:38
Capt Coco,

No Sir, CIS needs to be updated…..Both of the Mates are History.

Cheers.

3pointlanding
19th Dec 2014, 18:37
The tax information I can answer as I lived and flew in Japan for 14 years. You're tax free for the first 5 years and are requried to pay taxes after that but the tax authroities really never check. I did not pay any taxes the entire time I lived in Japan.
There are some questions on training and that is another story. It is hard and the physical is "astronaut physical tough". But after the first run with the doctor there are several doctors, one at the airport that can give a quicky physical. After you're through the training purgatory you will find the line work is just like any other.
I enjoyed my time in Japan and only my age kept me from staying and believe me my wife and I did want to stay.
If you managed to get hired, live with the Japanese instead of in and around the gajins (foreigners); we made many Japanese friends some of which still visit us here in the states. A bonus to that is we learned Japanese and even could read two of the three alphabets. All in all it was a great time in our lives and if picked you will be a very lucky man. If could go back I would in a heartbeat, alas my age kills it (ahem)

kesskidi
19th Dec 2014, 20:01
Do they still have the 1000 transport jet req ?

Koa mahi
22nd Dec 2014, 15:42
Greetings,

I'm going to attend a pre-screening interview in Vancouver in early January and looking for helpful advice :)

This is a contract I'd really love to get but I only found out today that I'm going and with Xmas and New Years coming up along with my own flight schedule I wont be able to get into a 767 sim prior to going for a warm up.
As a long time CRJ FO, other then studying the profiles inside and out what other advice might anyone have?

I've spent many years in and out Japan, traveled and worked throughout Asia so Im familiar with the culture etc.
I've heard the actual pass rate on both the pre-screening and actual interview is low so I'm not kidding myself with my chances but still want to be positive and give it my best shot.

Thank you in advance...

esignnfly
23rd Dec 2014, 02:52
You will need to use A LOT of rudder on the V1 cut, more than you would think. Almost full deflection. That was one thing that really stood out to me the first time I trained on the 767.

The Dominican
23rd Dec 2014, 13:41
esignnfly You will need to use A LOT of rudder on the V1 cut, more than you would think. Almost full deflection. That was one thing that really stood out to me the first time I trained on the 767.

Those aeronautical engineer bastards mounting engines on wings...., How dare they? :rolleyes:

kesskidi
23rd Dec 2014, 19:13
in the process of filling the application document...
don't you submitt any employer's reference AJX might want to contact, or they ask you to bring this info at the assessment stage only ?

oompa loompa
1st Jan 2015, 17:57
Happy new year all.

I have a Parc assessment in February - well it's probably going to be in February...it's been postponed a couple of times already....

Anyway, I'm getting prepared for it and the consensus of this thread seems to be that the Sim is the thing to focus on, so I was wondering if someone might be able to point me in the direction of a link or post with the profile, pitch power settings etc. I *think* I've read the whole thread, but I might have missed the all important post...:eek:

Thanks!

EDIT:

I've found the links I was looking for. In case anyone else needs them:
General assessment info:

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/247182-air-japan-ajx-b767-78.html

General info on the assessment and more detail on the Sim check:

ANA, Air Japan, JP Express Pilot Interview Profiles (http://www.willflyforfood.com/pilot-interviews/224/ANA-Air-Japan-JP-Express.html)

Capt Coco
3rd Jan 2015, 13:39
Fair enough Armani,

Quote:

Capt Coco,

No Sir, CIS needs to be updated…..Both of the Mates are History.

Cheers.

Obviously our CIS systems are not updated the same or we are talking about 2 totally different people.

I can see 1 DEC who didn't make it throughout the training about 6 months ago (and was sadly ask to leave) and another one who is now struggling but who is still being given a second chance in the training.

If you are referring to any other DEC prior to that, I will have to check.

I honestly don't personally think any of you friends have been hard done by up here.

I fact since JCAB (from 2012 I believe) gave ANA/AJX checkers the approval to give new F/O recruits the initial JCAB licence sim check and licence checks with their own in house JCAB checkers.......the failure rate for initial interviewies (in the 6 months training) now is almost 0......since 2012 I have not heard of one F/O now failing the check ride. For DEC's it's a different story as JCAB still do the final check.

Armani I feel for your 2 friends, I'm sorry the outcome was not what they hoped for, but at the end of the day I don't think they would want to work for an airline that may not have suited them in the first place.

Coco.

Not history
10th Jan 2015, 12:26
Armani and all the other doom and gloomers, all is not what your perverse dreams are hoping for. I'm the recent Captain that wasn't extended further training for the JCAB checkride. I have over 25,000 hours, 17 years flying in Japan, and although I don't always agree your lopsided thinking, it has nothing to do with my attitude nor my ability that has stalled my training.

Ajx, has been very gracious to fix the problem and it has been fixed, and I'm on the way to completing my training. NO I HAVE NOT BEEN TERMINATED. I have a request in that I do not fly with you during my training period as you do not have my best interests. I have several guys tell me, from you, that I have a bad attitude, which couldn't be further that the truth. Why would AJX give me another 6 weeks of training if I had a bad attitude. It's guys like you, spreading rumors for some odd ball reason, which makes it seem like you are on top of things when it's obvious you're not.

Why don't you concentrate on your job and doing your job and think less about those that obviously have a far greater experience.

Both mates are not history. MATE!

Jaz and the Fat Man
10th Jan 2015, 12:50
Wow, good for you. It's so easy to surmise and point fingers but evidently more is happening than is read here on prune. I would have a hard time imagining ANA allowing you to continue training if you had an attitude problem and if you did have an attitude problem, how could you have survived in Japan for 17 years.

Good luck with your training and Boo to those that would try to interrupt that process.

The fat man.......

The Dominican
10th Jan 2015, 13:23
For those that hear voices..., it would be nice if you don't feel the need to get a PPrune screen name for each one of those voices.:rolleyes:

Don't forget to take your medication:}

ExpressFO
11th Jan 2015, 05:00
How particular/picky is Air Japan when it comes to the neatness of your logbook?? Most of logbooks are fine and all the numbers add up, but I made a few errors in the last few pages as I was updating and had to draw a line through/write over them. Cause for concern?

Capt Coco
18th Jan 2015, 15:19
Not History,

Don't let Armani and those others get to you.

I hope you are going ok with your extra training, sometimes it can really start to drag people down, just don't let it get to you.

With your 25 000 hours and 17 years Japan experience, I'm sure you will be fine and if it is, as you are saying, has nothing to do with your attitude and ability, you should be fine.

As you should know just play the game, not the man!?!?!?! This is Japan!!

I'm not sure I would have gone into scheduling and asked(requested!!) not to fly with a certain Training Captain or who ever or it was you were referring to, but that is your call. In the past that has sometimes back fired on people.....but like I said it's your call. Hopefully it all works out for you.

I look forward to flying on the line with you some day.

Capt Coco.

blink
20th Jan 2015, 11:26
Both Mates History.

It's AJX's loss, and not yours - both Mates.

pjouvenceus
20th Jan 2015, 15:29
Good day,

I have been contacted for a simulator pre screening for B767 FO for AJX, 5 years contract with CREW.

I was wondering if hired what kind of type rating do you get (FAA or not)?

Thank you for all the insights you guys could give me.

Best,

The Dominican
20th Jan 2015, 20:47
I was wondering if hired what kind of type rating do you get (FAA or not)?

You will get a Japanese ATPL with its appropriate type certificate..., it will be an independent license that has nothing to do with any other ICAO subscriber.
If you are curious as to how to get the type certificate on your FAA license..., the most economical way would be to wait until you get some hours on the hull (500 I believe is what they ask) and do a course for experienced pilots in type that are offered at PanAm academy, they run 8 or 9K and you study on your own and get a couple of sims and the check ride.

ExpressFO
Logbook
How particular/picky is Air Japan when it comes to the neatness of your logbook?? Most of logbooks are fine and all the numbers add up, but I made a few errors in the last few pages as I was updating and had to draw a line through/write over them. Cause for concern?

Well, I really don't think that there is a perfect logbook, I think that would raise a flag more likely than having a blemish on your books..., the important thing is to have the math be correct...!

dynamicd
21st Jan 2015, 07:02
Dominican,

I also had the issue of untidy logbooks, which i wasnt confident showing off. So I got a software and retyped all my 3300 hrs total into into it .It has a functionality to report in different formats and adds up the totals correctly. you can print physical logbooks from it. How does air japan view electronic logbooks?
I still continue to fill in my untidy logbook just in case.

My authority describes instrument flying time piloting the aircraft soley on instruments without external reference points. I have always neglegted loging instrument time since after flight school as my authority doesnt really bother about it. There is no GA in the country I fly in.All my flying after flight school has been first officer on dash 8 and now 737.

Can you kindly advise me on how I can log instrument time for the purpose of air japan. All our flights are Ifr, we do very view visual approaches (only in absolute vmc) auto pilot is almost always on by 1000 to 2000 feet and off around 600 feet. Please help on this issue.

I fly 737 in Nigeria.

The Dominican
21st Jan 2015, 13:14
How does air japan view electronic logbooks?
Electronic logbooks are accepted, not a problem!

Can you kindly advise me on how I can log instrument time

Oh, is that all?:)

You have stumbled upon the "holy grail" of individual interpretation..., the description of "instrument time" is very vague and people in different parts of the world interpret this differently..., as per your own description.., if I'm in the middle of the Pacific in a dark night with the A/P on eating my dinner, I'm logging IMC time, OK then..., if you say so! This interpretation would make 95% of it IMC time..!

There are others that say that instrument time is only the time that you are hand flying while on IMC.., that makes it about 30 seconds to 1 minute in less than 10% of your flights...!

Which is correct? Since the description within the regulations is so vague and created back at a time when airplanes didn't have autopilots and IMC was considered something better to be avoided by flying under the cloud base on your DC3..., I would say that both are correct...!

Confused yet? Listen, I'm a dumb ass from the islands, I couldn't tell you the correct interpretation anymore that I could explain the meaning of life..!
All I can tell you is that in the 15+ years that this contract has been around! AJX has seen it logged in those two ways and every other way in between.

dynamicd
22nd Jan 2015, 08:25
Thankyou Dominican for your insight. I hAve just decided to to go for 50 percent of block time as instrument time.

Fratemate
22nd Jan 2015, 09:43
As an incredibly rough idea of what seems to happen in AJX a lot of the time; a 3 hour flight, during which time cloud was flown through in the climb, descent and (usually) during the cruise will normally end up with 30 minutes of IMC written in the aircraft log/your logbook. There's often 0 and there's quite a few >30 minutes but 30 mins seems to be a recurring theme :)

I agree with what TD has written and it is pretty irrelevant when the autopilot is engaged whether we're in cloud or not and the logging of IMC was certainly meant for when an aircraft was being flown on instruments and not merely managed/monitored. One day the authorities may get with the times and then, 100 years later, the JCAB will catch up. In the meantime I suggest 50% of block time might be somewhat exaggerated. If it helps, I'm just shy of 20000 hours and have a shade over 3000 hours IMC in the logbook; so 15% versus 50%.

The Dominican
22nd Jan 2015, 11:05
@dinamicd...., What Fratemate wrote is more in tune with what i see everyone write on their books...., 5 to 15% of total time is a good ballpark figure and even that is too much in my view..., personally I just write enough IMC not to have to go to the SIM and get requalified...!

Good luck...!

About the authorities catching up..., well, legally we are still supposed to use visual cues instead of our navigation systems if we have visual contact with the ground as per regulations LOL! An FAA big shot told me once..., that the FAR's haven't joined the rest of us in the jet age!

JammedStab
22nd Jan 2015, 16:35
Both Mates History.

It's AJX's loss, and not yours - both Mates.

Oops, due to attitude or ability.

Fratemate
23rd Jan 2015, 02:58
I suggest we leave discussion about individual events and individuals for the bar/flightdeck chat, rather than a public forum. By all means let's discuss the whys and wherefores of AJX and the Japanese systems but I think we should not be gossiping about individuals here for all to see.

BoxFly
23rd Jan 2015, 20:01
Well said FM!

dynamicd
24th Jan 2015, 14:44
Thanks a lot everyone for your input. I have gone with 20 percent to ensure I meet all requirements.

Armani
26th Jan 2015, 05:48
Capt Coco:
Obviously you do not like negative comments about your job, so lets agree to disagree.
Like blink stated, "Both Mates are history" and it was Foul play by AJX once again.
You should also know that AJX fired an FO from the November 2013 class.
The random damage continues here.

Not history: (aka. Jaz and the Fat man)
I never flew with you. I was sorry to hear what you and the other DEC endured, and how disrespectfully AJX treated you.
It is of course AJX's loss after all the time and money they spent for your training, to just F%$# you, and tell you to go home.

Yes these are individual cases in which no names have been used, but deserves to be brought to attention so people can explore the truth sooner rather than later, not keeping it to ourselves for a night at the Barge. AJX is continuing its downward spiral Mates, think at least twice before quitting your full time job to come here.

kumranj
27th Jan 2015, 05:03
I'm working for one of the major airline in asia. Sometimes the situation which western guy can not understand can be happened in asian airlines. I was suffering from my attitude few years ago while I was working for my company. I couldn't understand why the company checker pointed out my attitude. They evaluated my attitude. It doesn't make sense. Probably they want to keep the
rate of some failure? These situations can be happened in anywhere anytime even though U hv permanent contract or not. So be ready to go out at all times. U know we are like professional baseball player :)

hadenuff
6th Feb 2015, 20:24
Fantastic thread guys. Has kept me reading for hours. Is interesting to see how the moods change through the years!

Am looking at an application to AJX. Family ideally needs to stay living in current location (married with kids who've already been to far to many different schools), not alot of options right now to keep career moving while doing so, which makes AJX look interesting.

Two questions, pretty sure not covered, or maybe out of date by now.

Regards commuting ex SYD, I read earlier QF is available? But it's not Star Alliance? Have looked at direct flights ex SYD to Japan and QF looks like it had the most.

Also, is the training still a full 6 months in location in Japan? No leave or break at home during the 6 months?

Fratemate
7th Feb 2015, 05:11
Living and commuting from SYD is not a problem with this job. Assuming you're using the C Class option, AJX will book you on the QF22/21 and this has been the case for many years for Oz commuters. If you use the ZED option then you can get home however you like (direct, via HKG, via SIN, via BKK or even via domestic airports if you're unlucky enough to have to get a Jet* flight from Japan). Their preferred way of doing things is to use ANA, then Star Alliance and then others but they have been known to 'flex' things in the past and continue to do so. ANA have announced they will be starting a SYD service from HND (and possibly KIX), so maybe in the future you will have to take the ANA flight instead of QF and enjoy the delightful cabin temperatures that only the Japanese do so well :hmm:

I don't think the course structure has changed since they were still flying Zeroes around the place. So, it's classroom for air law, radio theory/law etc followed by the JCAB written exam, then 767 ground school, FBS, FFS, type-rating test (if you don't already have one) and then the ATPL test. One more medical so they can issue your ATPL and then you get to go home for 10 days. This time off can sometimes be longer or a bit shorter but 10 is the normal plan. Expect this phase of training to take up to about 5 months for a non type-rated pilot. After that you've broken the back of it and its then back to NRT for a couple of weeks of ground school to 'learn' the airports (yes, shake your head in disbelief just as we all did) and then you start your OJT. I believe this is 12 sectors for an FO but don't quote me on that, as it may well be more. Another check follows OJT and then you're finished. Usually this ties in with your days for the month and most people take some vacation that they'll have owing, so normally people go home for 2-3 weeks after they take their final check. Captains have more sectors to do, so don't get to go home as soon.

You will have a couple of opportunities for your wife and kids to visit while you're in training. If I remember correctly, they'll pay the airfare once for the whole family, plus 7 days accommodation and then once for the wife's airfare plus 7 days accommodation. If you're a bird then replace 'wife' with 'husband'. Many without kids (or very understanding relatives) have their wife stay longer and, as before OJT you're in apartment accommodation, this isn't a problem. During OJT you'll be in the Excel Hotel, so I assume your wife would need to be paid for.

They seem to be recruiting like mad at the moment but none of us can work out why they're increasing their numbers so dramatically. Rumours are rife regarding the 787 etc but if ANA know what their plan is I don't think they're sharing it with AJX and certainly not us worker bees. The good news is there's plenty of slots to join, the bad news is we don't know what's ahead. What's new :uhoh:

Koa mahi
8th Feb 2015, 16:54
Fratemate..
Thanks for the synopsis of the training footprint and commuting structure. Good info!

I've got an interview in Tokyo in April and if successful I'll be breaking up my commute between NZ, Thaialnd and the U.S. (if possible).

Is the atmosphere in trainging a positive one? Looks like a long syllabus (I'm not rated in the 767) Are the resources provided good? Suggestions on best ways to stay sane yet study hard since the footprint is so long?

Well first things first,,, got to get the job..

Cheers!

hyg
10th Feb 2015, 04:31
FD-Off,

you don't pay any tax on non hk generated income, as proven by the CE of HKG regarding his 4m pounds payout from an australian listed company....

Taiwan not so sure~~~

Capt Coco
10th Feb 2015, 08:39
Hi Fratemate,

Could you give us the link where you saw the announcement of the new ANA (HND-SYD flight).

I can't find anything, I can find the official announcements on the new Houston and KL flights and the new extra BKK, SIN, HNL flights. I can't find the Sydney one though.

I just want to see what the timings of the flights are and when they start.

Cheers.

Fratemate
10th Feb 2015, 23:10
Hi Capt Coco,

I heard the Sydney rumour from about four or five of our cabin crew and the last one was talking about it being in one of the Japanese newspapers. The only link I could find to it is this, which specifically talks about the newspapers mentioning it:

Oz Business Traveller (http://www.ausbt.com.au/ana-eyes-return-to-australia-with-sydney-tokyo-flights)

Maybe the end of the year but who knows?

gtseraf
11th Feb 2015, 00:18
here's a link to the ANA website with new routes and changes for the year.

Press Release | ANA (http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/press/2014/150121.html)

Mister Geezer
22nd Feb 2015, 16:53
If I wanted to commute from a regional airport in Europe, will AJX only pay for me to get to one of the hubs in Europe and it would then be at my own cost to get home from there? Also, how flexible are the company if you wanted to change back and forth between two destinations for commuting?

Finally, why are there adverts for DEC positions on the Crew Resources website but there is bound to be many exptienced FOs with experience?

How long is it to the LHS for F/Os joining now?

The Dominican
23rd Feb 2015, 01:17
Let me begin by recommending to read the thread.., I realize that it is massive but go back about 4 years worth and start from there. Not only all these questions have been discussed in great detail but also because many other issues that you might not think about asking have also been discussed.

If I wanted to commute from a regional airport in Europe, will AJX only pay for me to get to one of the hubs in Europe and it would then be at my own cost to get home from there?

If you choose business class commute.., you will get a ticket to the closest airport to your home, be it a mayor hub or a regional airport

Also, how flexible are the company if you wanted to change back and forth between two destinations for commuting?

You get two commuting destinations provided they meet the criteria (you own a vacation home there, your parents resident town, your kids live there..., in short, there is a logical reason as to why you want to go there, other than it has good surf)
And you can choose between your two commuting destinations at your discretion as long as you send the application by the due date.

Finally, why are there adverts for DEC positions on the Crew Resources website but there is bound to be many exptienced FOs with experience?

Don't ask why.....! Why doesn't compute...! LOL..,

DEC's are not being hired unless they have a JCAB license and thus far the hiring of DEC's has not obstruct the F/O's upgrades

How long is it to the LHS for F/Os joining now?

Historically F/O's have been joining the line as captains by the 4-5 year mark....!

Having said that.., we just don't know what kind of utilization will ANA give to AJX going forward nor do we know how will that impact the average time for upgrades.
All we know is that hiring will continue with a class every other month at least through 2018, the why's, have not been shared with us, we are just going along for the ride...!

DIESELENGINE
23rd Feb 2015, 09:58
- Do you guys know if they count part 121 f/o time towards "PIC inder supervision?

- Longreach Aviation China (http://www.longreachchina.com) in their benefits sections for this position, lists "up to 14 days off", how exactly would that work? Would those 14 days off include commuting days?

I know I can ask longreachchina, just looking for the insider's opinion.

Thank you

The Dominican
23rd Feb 2015, 12:11
- Do you guys know if they count part 121 f/o time towards "PIC inder supervision?
They haven't in the past, but somebody posted that now they are accepting it. I would seek confirmation from the contract companies on that matter since it is a change in policy if true..., I can't confirm it because I don't really know.

- Longreach Aviation China in their benefits sections for this position, lists "up to 14 days off", how exactly would that work? Would those 14 days off include commuting days?

I have to recommend again to read the thread..., this has been discussed over and over again....!

10 days off+ 2 commuting days and you also have the option to add 2 vacation days per month..., that makes it a stretch of 14 days in a row but that includes commuting days.

FlashWing
23rd Feb 2015, 12:12
DIESELENGINE,

I'd not worry too much in regards to PICUS, as the PIC requirement can be on any type of aircraft. No need for Jet CMD.....

As far as the days off go,

The AJX contract gives 10 days off per month. Additionally, they also give us 2 commuting days. The yearly leave entitlement is 24 days per year. They will allow you to use these days as you see fit. If you choose to use 2 days per month, it will then add up to your 14 day block as advertised.

AJX, so far has been able to remain quite flexible with allowing the pilots to choose their days off. They are quite happy to allow us to create large blocks of time off, and there are a number of guys who also work more on a week on/off basis. Long may it last, as this is the greatest aspect of the job, and I think they are likely aware that they may face quite an exodus should the status quo be changed.

Essentially, we come to work and AJX gets their productivity. In return, we can live anywhere in the world, and take the time off of our choosing.

If I've missed anything of worthy detail, I'm sure Dom or one of the Guys will fill in the blanks.

FW.

FlashWing
23rd Feb 2015, 12:13
There you go!

Dom beat me to it! :ok:

FW

DIESELENGINE
24th Feb 2015, 05:35
Appreciate the reply fellas, I know it probably has been discussed before, but you've just saved me like 50 min of my time, and I would do the same for you! :ok:

- Anybody knows if they make you sign another 5 year contract after upgrade? key word being "make", or can you just sort of leisurely stroll off on your own little marry way after getting typed as PIC?

jrmyl
24th Feb 2015, 10:05
Not sure if you could say they "make" you do anything. However, you are offered a new contract to sign during or before the upgrade process. Mine came before and some have come during. I guess if you didn't sign it then maybe they would just stop the upgrade process. I mean, after all, why would they waste their time on you if you don't intend to stay for any meaningful length of time? But I do believe you can sign a 3 or 5 year contract when you renew.

DIESELENGINE
1st Mar 2015, 14:18
Thankx jrmyl!

DIESELENGINE
1st Mar 2015, 14:25
so if i understood correctly, there is an option of 3 OR 5 year contract they might offer you after your first term?

J0ta
1st Mar 2015, 21:09
Hi :)

How are you coping with the jet lag every month? I would like to conmute from Europe and Im a little bit worried about the time difference...

Thanks in advance!

FlashWing
2nd Mar 2015, 01:41
As far as second contracts go, or Upgrade Contract for that matter, you can decide if you would prefer 3 or 5 years. The main difference is the structure of the completion bonus.

FW

EFC_
3rd Mar 2015, 16:32
Hey all,

I have just completed my screening in Tokyo. I was told it would take approximately 1 month to hear back and to expect a class date in July. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

wisecaptain
5th Mar 2015, 03:21
Ok EFC so now can you please pay back in kindness and write here exactly what the questions in the interview, tech paper and what you had in the sim.
Many will be for ever grateful:ok:

EFC_
5th Mar 2015, 16:08
Overall a very positive experience. Everyone at the company went out of their way to make you feel comfortable and relax as much as possible. On the interview day they sit you in a room to knock out the tech written straight away. All of the gouges I've read are spot on, know how to calculate hydroplaning speeds, review runway illusions i.e. how does a runway appear when landing in the rain, no big weight shift calculations. Very straightforward, and if you've read the couple of gouges on here you will be more than prepared. After that they get you started on the 567 question MMPI. True/False psychological evaluation that is used in your overall medical results. You have thru the course of the evening to complete it. You and the other candidate are then brought into a room and introduced to the panel of interviewers, for me it was 3 captains and 2 HR. Be sure to walk up front and shake all of their hands initially. They start off by asking you your impression of Japan thus far and go into a comprehensive review of what to expect in the Sim as well as an opportunity to ask any question at all, don't be shy here if you have any lingering questions that aren't clear in the Sim packet you received months earlier.

After a quick break they call one of you back to begin the oral interview portion. First off they ask for a brief introduction of yourself, primarily regarding your aviation background thus far, followed by why Air Japan, do you know anyone that works here, to what degree does your family support this choice, how will you deal with the lengthy training, what did you do to prepare for this interview . Some questions they will tailor to your background, for instance I have a lot of instructor time so instead of asking me what would I do if I was struggling in training they asked me how I would deal with a student that was having difficulties, and what I felt was the most important aspect of instructing. For the more technical questions review jepp plate notations, when can you not begin an approach, what aspects are takeoff limiting(both aircraft configuration as well as runway/performance limiters), review approach lighting and runway lighting specifically distances and colors, beyond basic V speed knowledge you should review what margin above stall the speeds give you, and finally lost comm procedures and light guns. They are very open about being aware of their heavy accents, so don't be afraid to ask them to repeat or clarify a question and as a courtesy to them be sure to slow down and speak clearly. In the end the impression I got was they were more concerned with how you conduct yourself and how well you can communicate with others and articulate your ideas than 100% technical precision. So relax! I felt like the HR portion went smoothly and I felt 50/50 on the technical, and I got the thumbs up!

The Sim was completely 110% by the book. Absolutely no surprises there. Start coupled on the ils, vmc conditions, set up for autoland. All you have to do is watch it do its thing, note pitch and power, when to flare, then engage reverse thrust until 60kts, disengage autobrakes and set parking brake on the runway. Next they snap you back for a practice takeoff and visual pattern. After that the testing begins. Normal takeoff to visual approach CAVOK, normal t/o to full VOR OVC 006, V1 cut to single engine ils OVC 300. All by the book. They want you to act as pic meaning if you don't call for it, it won't happen. Know the Sim profiles in your sleep, pay attention to the pitch and power chart supplied to you in the Sim packet (they are big on known pitch and power settings), and fly stable approaches. As a note, don't complain that the Sim is "sensitive" and if the flight director appears to be lagging, or giving you opposite guidance during single engine ops check your ball, odds are your feet are being lazy and you aren't keeping coordinated. I know it's just the intructor in me but remember the flight director is not a primary instrument!
Everything is over around midnight and you take a taxi to your hotel. At some point in the night you will receive an email from the staffing agency liason with your results. If you have passed you will have one day off, then meet the following day for the medical screening. After that you just sit and wait patiently for about a month for the medical results and your class date, which is what I am currently doing.
Sorry about the formatting here guys, about halfway in I realized I probably should be typing this on my laptop and not my phone.

Flaps One
7th Mar 2015, 05:38
Hi Guys!

Thanks all posters for the info, I've been reading post since start but I'm still about a quarter into it only.
Would anyone be able to tell me if AJX allows the 10 days off per month to be put back to back - resulting in 20 consecutive off every 2 months instead of 10 every month? I've seen many people saying they are flexible with your days off and holidays but haven't seen anyone stating if it's possible to get the days off back to back - probably i just haven't reached that part of the thead yet.

Cheers

atlanticjet
7th Mar 2015, 11:14
Yes you can and some do it all the time. It's actually 24 days (10 off plus 2 commuting days) plus you can tack on vacation days to it, if you want. You get the 2 commuting days regardless of wether you commute or not. For example in my case, I mix and match all the time. Sometimes I take 12, sometimes 14, sometimes 16, 24,28 and so on.

archer_737
7th Mar 2015, 22:05
Hi there.

I've tried to read the post, what an evening I had :ugh: I have to thank you guys for the deep and precise inside info you all shared here. Much appreciated.
I've got a clear picture about roster, living in there, hotels, training, requirements, medical and BMIs... Am I forgetting something?

My question is, looks like starting in 2005 almost everyone was doing well there. Then around 2011-2012 some bad comments about commuting, tickets... At which point are we now? What's the feeling of the people working there? We all know most companies have ups and downs but, where are you now?

Second thing, I read about end of service benefit (18k $) but what about the "pension fund contribution of 600$/month"? Is that a money that you can get after completing the 5 years service? 100%? Part of it?

As I read in the post most of you guys are from USA, AUS, NZL, etc. Not that far for commuting from/to Japan. Any idea about how the european guys are commuting in terms of schedules, companies or destinations?

Last one. How it looks for a 30 years old 737 pilot to be called for an interview? 4000+ hrs on the 737NG as a FO.

Thanks in advance guys.

Safe flights.

Absolutely
7th Mar 2015, 23:39
Archer,
To my knowledge there have been very few recent complaints about commuting tickets. AJX basically use ANA, Star Alliance airlines, others in that order. This sometimes means an ANA flight to North America or Europe then a domestic flight. Rather than using a One World airline direct for example. I think this caused some angst initially but it is mainly sorted out now and they are being a little more flexible.

Access to the pension fund depends on what contract company you use and where your citizenship is. For example if you are a US citizen and go through CREW then I don't think you can access your 401K until a certain age. If you're from the UK and did 5 years with CREW then I believe you can get access to you pension money after some paperwork is done.

We have plenty of guys commuting from Europe. Uk, Denmark, Spain, Italy. I think they are mostly happy with the commuting deal.

I would think your experience on the 737 is more than enough for a gig here.

Hope that helps.

archer_737
8th Mar 2015, 13:01
Absolutely;

Yeah it helps, much appreciated!

I wonder if the Spanish guys down there read this, could be interesting to see how they manage to commute, planning from Barcelona here.

Thanks guys!

Fratemate
9th Mar 2015, 04:21
BCN-LHR-HND
BCN-FRA-HND
BCN-CDG-NRT
(??) BCN-DUS-NRT

I'm not Spanish but I've talked, in the past, to the guys who are.

archer_737
9th Mar 2015, 09:05
Fratemate;

Thank you for the info, looks nice.

Will the company put you in a flight to HND and make you travel from there to NRT (train, bus, taxi?) if the ticket prices are cheaper or will them try to keep you flying to NRT as much as possible?
I understand that NRT is where your base, and probably hotel etc, will be.

Thanks! :ok:

Fratemate
10th Mar 2015, 07:55
Will the company put you in a flight to HND and make you travel from there to NRT (train, bus, taxi?) if the ticket prices are cheaper or will them try to keep you flying to NRT as much as possible?

No, in my experience they don't really penny-pinch like that. If the timings work out for you via CDG or DUS then you'd just ask them to route you via either of those and you'd catch your ANA flight to/from NRT. If the timings don't work out and you'd prefer to go via LHR or FRA then you'd just ask them for that and they will pay for the bus to and from HND.

All of this assumes you are using the C Class option. Clearly, if you're using a ZED ticket then you sort it all out yourself and you're responsible for the fares to/from HND.

archer_737
10th Mar 2015, 10:19
Fratemate;

Thanks again, really helpful.

Feather44
10th Mar 2015, 11:09
Hi guys,

First of all, thanks very much for sharing all those meaningful feedbacks & informations!!
I have been through the entire topic.. A long way, but so much to learn!

Being European, I have recently applied via PARC, and I'm glad that Air Japan has approved my candidature. Nevertheless, I have been told by this agency that from now on there is a mandatory pre-screening in London.

They proposed me a screening in 2 weeks in London, but I had to refuse:
- no way to get leave from my company in such delay.
- more importantlely, it doesn't give me not enough time to get 100% ready.

Apparently, the next one will be in 6 to 9 months.
Quiet a long waiting period for me.. I'm in the "sandpit" and wiiling to move asap

I did ask them if it was possible to send me the sim profile, so I can study it again and again. But in vain!!

Something else, today I had a glance at CREW's website and noticed that they have screenings on a monthly basis. So I'm wondering if PARC is "missguiding" me or not in order to save some money on flight tickets to Tokyo? (Seeing the <50% pass rate)

By any chance, may I ask to one of you who attended the screening recently to provide me their sim profile?

Once again, thanks to everyone for your contributions!
Hope to see you soon in Tokyo.

Domo arogatou,
Greg

The Dominican
10th Mar 2015, 12:12
Apparently, the next one will be in 6 to 9 months.
That time frame doesn't make any sense to me:confused:
I would put my application with CREW and see what they say

archer_737
10th Mar 2015, 12:55
I haven't applied yet but as far as I've been told there are interviews every month and courses every other month.
Word on the street is that a guy interviewing now would join after the summer (maybe September-October?).

I've also heared that for the guys flying regional or "small" jets they are doing now this pre-selection in the UK, not applying that to the guys already flying wide body and some of the well known narrow body (320, 737). Not sure if this is true, just been told by a colleague.

If that is your case, I'll assume that interviews in UK aren't running that often if compared with those in Japan.

Only talking rumors here, don't trust any word :O

Feather44
10th Mar 2015, 17:09
Yes, Dominican I agree .... It does not make sense!
I've started to file up the application with CREW. let's see!

Thanks For the feedback Archer; but I have over 3000 hrs on A320 close to 5000 total.

In fact I'm a little bit pissed off with PARC, I have submitted my application a while ago (December), send them many email about my application process.
The only answers I received was: "the person in charge is out of the office at this time, she will get back to you asap"

I finally got a skype call on 20th Feb: "can you show up in London for a pre-screening on 5th March?" :confused:
- To late to plan leave with my company.
- not enough time to study properly the sim profile.

Anyway, I hope CREW will be more efficient.
Cheers guys!!

archer_737
10th Mar 2015, 17:14
Feather44,

Sorry to hear that.

My only guess is Boeing guys get it straight to Japan while other types have the pre-selection in the UK? Or maybe the whole procedure's changed right now and everyone is to pass through this pre-selection.

Hope it works well for you at the end. Good luck!

atlanticjet
10th Mar 2015, 19:41
Rishworth also offers this contract. It's actually in cooperation with CREW so at the end of the day if you get selected you are 100% with CREW. Initially I applied with CREW and PARC. Waited for ever, so took my chances with Rishworth. Within 2 weeks I had an interview date and in 3 months was in class ! I am aware that some people have issues with Rishworth, but in my case they did a fantastic job and turned my paperwork in record time, no question about it ! This was back 2 years ago, so Im not sure about it now.

I suggest turning your paperwork with all of them, you have absolutely nothing to loose. Longreach (also in co-op with CREW) is on this contract too btw !

hu1124
11th Mar 2015, 21:07
Hi guys... First of all. I would like to thank to those who posted info about AJX... I just finished with assessment with AJX. Unfortunately I was not successful... But to me it was okay. I can go on with my life. My background is b747 FO for 8 years. Many things have said in the posts before. But I have one thing to add to those who are coming for the interview. It's simple and straight to the point... Think you are flying b767 by yourself. In my briefing I asked the PM capt to do something. He will always reply ok. But when it happens. He doesn't do a thing until you order. He maybe tired or what...but he has no CRM. Come on...even if they want you to be PIC...at least listen during briefing. Don't say ok if you are not going to do what I ask. So be prepared for that!

For the interview... Don't even bother too much.. They asked me v spds and aural warnings for the 747.., the HR asked me strong points and weak points. Oh.. And hydro planning. 3 types and when occurs. Others are the same... Intro, why join AJX, what ur family thinks..what you did to prepared...They will ask questions based on your answers...oh...couple questions I asked during orientation...like who engage autopilot during manual flight. The instructor said up to you, but during the SIM PM Capt got upset and said order him to engage. So that's something to look out. I stress again...PM capt has no CRM. Even what I told him during the briefing..he will not do.

First practice visual pattern he will call abeam runway and 35 sec... During real check he does not call anything. Once again... You are a single pilot on b767 and lucky to have someone you can order to do things. Order him do everything...I believe he didn't want to be there at 2 in the morning. Which was the time I finished. If you really want and need this job... You need to memorize the profile by heart. Also...I was too concentrate on pitch and power during every sector. It make you forget the simple stuff. its important. But as important as you current spd and altitude...so forget power and attitude. Just fly the aircraft first. Good luck to those who want to join... Please be careful of the PM capt, they will not do what you tell them to do during briefing. Only do when you order them what to do. :ok:

Kivites
12th Mar 2015, 12:42
I had the same experience as Thread. Even if you ask before starting is always "ok" and when you are flying the SIM they are upset if you do or order what was said before. I did not feel doing a bad performance but I guess they want everything as they "want". CRM is not good. The "checker" was allright but my cpt was difficult to understand even though I asked a few times, when Reading checklist I had to ask him a few times too.... and he looked really pissed. Maybe because he was 2days in a row hours seated there and I was one of the last ones....bad luck too.

I will try it again if they give me a second chance. I still work, fly and that's fine for me...

Koa mahi
13th Mar 2015, 01:05
No offense to the last couple posters, but I'm wondering if some of the CRM problems are due to them also not having English as the first language. I could barely understand what was written in the last post. Being in a SIM late at night, everyone with heavily accented English and the Japanese needing it done 'their' way, could lead to some difficulties.

Having said that, I appreciate the feedback as I have an upcoming interview and I will approach the SIM protion as single pilot with the profile memorized as exactly as possible.

Anyone else who has recently gone through this, please feel free to PM me with any other tips.

Triple7jfo
17th Mar 2015, 04:05
great thread thank you.

just wondering, if you have to get out of your contract at anytime prior to its completion how does that work. i have a young family and not sure how this kind of lifestyle may work for us! if things don't work out can you get out of the contract?

alternatively, is it possible to bring the family with and get residents visa's for them? i read a couple pages back that there are some guys who have done this by setting up a business. do you know of any pilots on this contract living in narita area with families? is it possible?

pm for anonymity if required

thank you once again

Fratemate
18th Mar 2015, 00:53
just wondering, if you have to get out of your contract at anytime prior to its completion how does that work.

There is no bond, which is nice in today's airline industry, but there is a contract completion bonus. If you decide to throw the towel in before completion of your contract then, obviously, you forfeit that bonus entirely. There is no pro rata. Also, if you leave before contract completion then you will not be able to come back. There are those who have left AJX in the past at the end of a contract and they have been able to return but this will definitely not be offered to someone who leaves early. Apart from that, you give the three months notice required of your contract and then go elsewhere.

alternatively, is it possible to bring the family with and get residents visa's for them? i read a couple pages back that there are some guys who have done this by setting up a business. do you know of any pilots on this contract living in narita area with families? is it possible?

Do not rely on rumours, hearsay and what a mate told you down the pub. This is a commuting contract and neither you, nor your family, get any sort of visa once you've completed training. During training you will have a student-type visa and this gets handed in as soon as you're checked out. You will enter and leave Japan on a shore pass, which restricts how far you can travel from your port of entry and how long you can stay in Japan (usually 7 days). I do not know of anyone in AJX who has a business in Japan, far less getting a visa as a result. The only people that I know of who have residential visas are married to Japanese girls or work for someone else, such as SkyMark.

It is possible to rent a large apartment and have your family enter Japan on a tourist visa, however, these have variable time limits (normally max of 6 months) and a mate told me down the pub that the Japanese immigration people are not likely to keep issuing consecutive tourist visas, so expect at least a 6 month gap between visas now and again. Note: a mate told me this, so I can't guarantee it but it does sound pretty typical of Japan. AND.....a tourist visa allows you to visit temples, travel around the place and eat sushi; it does not allow your kids to attend public schools etc. How a private school would view the situation I have no idea but with the big apartment you'd be renting for a family, plus private school fees AND a wife that is not allowed to work because she's on a tourist visa you'd be severely restricted in the Yen you've got left to buy squid for the kids' lunch boxes.

In summary; this is a commuting contract so, after training, you have to assume that your family will only see you when you are on your days off and if they occasionally visit you in Japan (but you'll be working most of the time when they're stuck in your apartment/the hotel). Any other hope or plan is delusional, so only make your decision to apply for AJX based on the fact that you'll have 10 days off per month, plus 2 commuting days and accrue 2 vacation days per month (that you can 'spend' when you like) and an ability to back-to-back your days off.

While I'm at the keyboard and discussing the points to be decided when applying for AJX, allow me to quell some of enthusiasm in a couple of the 'pluses' being spouted by the employment agencies. The first is command times. True, in the past it has taken as little as 3.5 years to get to the left seat but then we had fewer than 150 pilots in total, a need to attract people because the rest of the planet was doing well financially and an expanding fleet and destination database. Now we have over 250 pilots and an alleged plan to get to 400 (from a bloke who heard a rumour from a guy down the pub), people lining up to apply because the conditions elsewhere are not so good, a stable fleet number and only a mild increase in places to fly. My prediction is that command times will increase and I further predict that a command will only be offered in a second contract. It is more than likely that I'll be proved wrong, again, but please don't pay too much heed when the agencies 'guarantee' an upgrade after only 3.5 years or so or you may well end up very disappointed. The second point is aircraft types. I know the agencies have been quite vocal in their 'hints' that you'll only be on the 767 a few minutes and then it's off to the 787 and it is very convenient for them that ANA is reducing the 767 fleet and increasing the 787. I do believe we will, eventually, get the 787 but (a)it is not going to be any time soon (think 2018 timeframe) and (b)when it goes get here then none of us and I mean that most sincerely, none of us knows how they are going to decide who goes on which fleet, what's going to happen to the cargo flying, what happens to new joiners/those who are coming up for retirement etc etc etc. There are just too many variable and if the AJX management don't really know what is going to happen (and they don't) then please don't base your decision to join on the agencies promising you the snake water that guarantees a 787 in the near future.

I am more than happy to be made to eat my words on both subjects but I would advise caution if you're relying on either as a reason to join.

BoxFly
18th Mar 2015, 08:24
Just one more thing to think about. If you decide this gig isn't for you and give less than 90 days notice you will be charged a $15,000 penalty by the contracting agency. A couple of the last guys who had to go in a hurry confirmed they are being charged.

Fratemate
18th Mar 2015, 10:17
I presume that's CREW is it, BoxFly? I don't think PARC does anything like that.....although I wouldn't be surprised if they copied CREW and started :rolleyes:

The Dominican
18th Mar 2015, 13:29
That has been CREW's standing policy for a while, I know that the F/O that went to Hawaiian a few years back had to pay the penalty...., AFAIK..., the other agencies don't have this particular policy but like Frate said, look at the fine print within the contract.

EFC_
18th Mar 2015, 15:53
Let me start by saying at this point in my career I do not believe in fairy dust and magic beans, I'm signing up for a 5 year FO slot on the 767. Anything that may happen above that would be neat, otherwise, this is what I'm coming on board for. Having recently received the call from the psychiatrist I'm hoping that I am on the final leg of this long process to get in the door.
I plan on seeing the contract thru to the end, and possibly more. Since the topic of leaving mid contract is up, are many of the AJX pilots(specifically American) actively applying to, mainline carriers eg AA United, Delta, FedEx, UPS?

The Dominican
18th Mar 2015, 21:01
Since the topic of leaving mid contract is up, are many of the AJX pilots(specifically American) actively applying to, mainline carriers eg AA United, Delta, FedEx, UPS?

Lately our attrition of guys going back to the US has pretty much stopped..., we do have some furloughed guys that will eventually be forced to go back but for what I see and hear they are pushing it as far as they can and there is a large group that for their age and stages of life they find themselves in (relationships, marriage, etc) are quite content to stay put.

Having said that..., they have hired several younger pilots that are for the time being enjoying themselves but I wouldn't be surprised if some years down the line some of these folks would start wondering "What if?" It's just a natural cycle in my view:) but to answer your question.., I don't really hear a lot of "App" talk out on the line.

Will see I guess.....!

EFC_
19th Mar 2015, 06:23
Lately our attrition of guys going back to the US has pretty much stopped..., we do have some furloughed guys that will eventually be forced to go back but for what I see and hear they are pushing it as far as they can and there is a large group that for their age and stages of life they find themselves in (relationships, marriage, etc) are quite content to stay put.

Having said that..., they have hired several younger pilots that are for the time being enjoying themselves but I wouldn't be surprised if some years down the line some of these folks would start wondering "What if?" It's just a natural cycle in my view:) but to answer your question.., I don't really hear a lot of "App" talk out on the line.

Will see I guess.....!

That is great to hear. Thanks for the insight.

Triple7jfo
19th Mar 2015, 13:17
thanks guys that is all helpful..

is the training really 6-8mths? seems very long? any reasonably long consecutive days off during this training period for family to come and visit? say every 4-6 weeks or so during training?

thanks again

Fratemate
19th Mar 2015, 22:42
T7,

Your question has been asked and answered many times before. Please read the thread first and then ask anything that hasn't been covered.

TwoTone-7
23rd Mar 2015, 20:35
Dominican. Quick one, you mention of younger pilots being employed. Just how young are the FO's.

Peace!

atlanticjet
23rd Mar 2015, 22:39
Upper 20's, with the majority being in the mid to upper 30's

Broomstick Flier
25th Mar 2015, 20:23
Hi,

I have been reading this thread with interest since a while and I made the decision to apply as soon as I have the minimum experience (less than 400 hours to go). For the time being I am already on the B767 as a F/O, with 1300 hours on it under my belt, give it or take it.

I understand this job is offered through agencies (PARC, Crew, etc), what would be the best one to use? Any real differences between them? Hidden clauses on the contracts?

Thanks!

koubri
26th Mar 2015, 07:46
Hi everybody,

First of all thanks a lot for all the infos provided in this thread. I read it all form first page down to that 107th page and i admit it took me several days to go through it but defenitely worth it. It is very helpfull and well detailed. I think all has been said and that's even hard to find a question that has not been already discussed. And particularly thank you to Dominican and Fratemate who brought a lot of clarifications.

I am going for the screening soon, i am not rated on B767. In the briefing pack for the sim that i received (36 pages, revision Dec 2014) there are no call out. It has been mentionned several times that they are very strict regarding compliance with the profiles and call-outs but even though the profiles are well explained and the sequence well detailed in that guidance book, now i am wondering how does it work with the call outs.
I read in previous pages that someone pointed the same question, but it hasn't been replied or maybe that he got an answer via PM... anyway, could someone please let me know what are the call-outs ?

Fratemate
27th Mar 2015, 02:01
Hi Kourbi,

I am replying here instead of PM so the information is available to all.

First of all they are not expecting you to know the AJX operation and our manuals inside-out and know all the calls but most airlines operate in a similar manner and that's no different to AJX. They do like their FMA changes to be announced by both pilots, so if you can get all the extra talking in that would probably make them happy. It takes a long time to get used to all of the extra yapping, so don't worry if you miss a few :)

As explained in the briefing pack, you will be expected to order the PM to manipulate the MCP when you're hand flying and you'll order him to change the CDU at all times i.e if you're hand flying or not......I know this differs to the way the rest of the world operates.

It doesn't matter so much if you use the precise words in the briefing pack, so long as you are clear and unambiguous. So, it is quite okay to say "Hdg Select", instead of "Hdg Select On" and it is quite okay to say "VS 500", rather than "Set VS On, 500 fpm". The important thing is to check the machine is doing what you ordered and the only way to do that is checking the FMAs and we call them out as a result. A typical event, while hand flying, might go something like:

PF: "Hdg select (right) 290"
PM: Repeats order, presses Hdg Sel and turns the selector right onto 290
PM: "290 set"
PF: "Checked".....the PM will always point out what he has set and the PF confirms it's correct
PF & PM: Having checked the FMAs.."Hdg Sel"
PM: "Right side clear"
PF: "Left side clear"

Yes, they call out before every turn because a couple of centuries ago someone got hit by a fighter and, somehow, talking lots proves you are maintaining a good 'outside watch' and that will stop you smashing into someone.....even though the fighter approached IMC from behind, below and in a turn and no amount of 'outside watch' from the airliner would have helped.

If changes to the CDU are ordered, the PM will repeat the order, make the changes and then wait for you to confirm them before he presses the 'Execute' button. So, another scenario might be:

PF: "Set CDU, intercept course of 336 from Rwy 34L"
PM: Repeats it and, while he's changing the CDU, will say something like, "Rwy 34L, intercept course 336". He'll select Plan on the HSI so you can see what the picture looks like and he'll then say "Standing by to execute"
PF: Check that everything is okay and then tell him to "execute"

Even our manuals have options e.g. "(Push) LNAV", so some people say "Push LNAV" and some say "LNAV", it really doesn't matter too much but the important thing is the FMA confirmation. It's unfortunate that a lot of the rest of world does the FMA confirmation silently whereas we make more noise with BOTH pilots announcing the FMA change.

koubri
27th Mar 2015, 18:18
Fratemate, thanks a lot for your reply, really appreciate that.

Ghost_Rider737
27th Mar 2015, 18:54
Very very painful indeed !

DIESELENGINE
27th Mar 2015, 22:26
got a few questions for the guys who might be in the loop:

- how long does it take to upgrade as of now? Like maybe somebody knows of an actual person who upgraded recently or something similar to that...

- any rumors or maybe even some factual info on how long will this hiring last?

- could anybody maybe share an excerpt of a roster, to give an idea of how many days off you guys have in between the flights or maybe be so kind to provide a reference to a page where it was possibly already mentioned

Appreciate the reply

btw Fratemate, don't think I didn't read your post and ignoring you, just wondering if somebody else has something to contribute ..

jrmyl
28th Mar 2015, 04:17
Upgrade as of right now is from 4 1/2 years to just over 5 years. I am in the process currently and just completed my first contract. Of the 4 going through upgrade currently, 1 finished his first contract in January, 2 of us in March, and the other is in July.

oldgrunt
29th Mar 2015, 10:56
I think that 'Fiscal' year is the word you're referring to?
:O

bringbackthe80s
29th Mar 2015, 11:53
Guys thank you very much for all the really good inputs on this thread, it's the best.

Is there anyone on here who is married to a Japanese and lives in Japan thanks to the spouse visa?
I would like to get in contact and ask some questions.

Thank you very much

Koa mahi
29th Mar 2015, 21:18
Does anyone know if the medical evaluation during the interview the same as the full class 1 medical?

Standing on one leg with my eyes closed is not a strong point :(

Cheers!

EFC_
29th Mar 2015, 23:48
Does anyone know if the medical evaluation during the interview the same as the full class 1 medical?

Standing on one leg with my eyes closed is not a strong point :(

Cheers!

It's above and beyond the class 1. EEG, EKG, blood draw, numerous eye tests, chest x-ray, ear nose and throat stuff, general physician review, and yes they have an entire room dedicated to balance tests. Feet together, eyes closed, don't fall kinda stuff.

jrmyl
3rd Apr 2015, 14:39
I would say probably around 50-55 hours/month. Sectors are normally rotated every other one for flying and monitoring.

Captain Biggles84
17th Apr 2015, 12:33
Do the company supply jepps to individuals or the aircraft? Or is there IPADS or similar?

Capt Coco
17th Apr 2015, 15:04
I can't imagine any airline in todays world with 2 to 3 thousand pilots supplying each and and every pilot with there own full set of Jepp manuals......surely there is just a set on each plane with maybe a couple of sets in the office for reference material?!?!?!

The Dominican
17th Apr 2015, 20:20
Captain Biggles84 Do the company supply jepps to individuals or the aircraft? Or is there IPADS or similar?

Each pilot gets a set of Jepps but we are in the process of switching to iPads..., full EFB's ops will be sometime next year, March if I remember correctly.

Fratemate
18th Apr 2015, 02:23
I can't imagine any airline in todays world with 2 to 3 thousand pilots supplying each and and every pilot with there own full set of Jepp manuals......surely there is just a set on each plane with maybe a couple of sets in the office for reference material?!?!?!

Welcome to Japan :}

Further your imagination with the joy of the weekly updates, where China seems to delight in issuing changes just for the fun of it and we get to sit there switching over bits of toilet paper. For the Japanese it's even worse; they highlight their charts like kids colouring books and then they have to do more drawing with the weekly changes :ooh:

We don't have iPads, we have Apids (ANA/AJX Pilot Intelligence Devices)....I kid you not. They do look remarkably similar to the iPad Air and we have the Jepp app installed. Most of us have done the groundschool and simulator 'training' necessary to use the Apid but we are waiting for the crusty old men in the Ministry to give us the go-ahead for trials in the aircraft. Obviously, during this 'trial' we will also carry our other manuals. It sounds like no-one else has ever used them in actual flight, so we must be the trailblazers and that's the reason for all the delays and nonsense in using them :rolleyes:. IF the JCAB finds the Apids are an acceptable replacement for the abacus and quills we might be allowed to use them all the time and get rid of all the paper that clutters up our flight bags. As Dom says, the prediction is Mar 2016 but I'm not holding my breath. We've had Apids for over 2 years already, so read into that what you will with the forward-thinking, modern, JCAB :ugh:

Capt Coco
18th Apr 2015, 02:38
Come on Dom and Fratemate, surely your pulling my leg......I can't believe that about the Jepp manual!!!
Next thing you are going to tell me is that you don't wear pilot hats and fly around in STAR WARS painted planes, and that only 2 out of the last 5 guys got through the command evaluation last week!?!?!?

Fratemate
18th Apr 2015, 05:29
Next thing you are going to tell me is that you don't wear pilot hats

I always wear my hat, even when I'm flying and will continue to do so until 1st May, when I'm permitted to remove it :ok:

fly around in STAR WARS painted planes

We are not worthy, since only the Japanese pilots (and some Koreans) have The Force. We are only allowed to pilot the black and white one......I think it's meant to be a panda but it looks more like a dairy cow.

only 2 out of the last 5 guys got threw the command evaluation last week

You're more in 'the know' than me (which doesn't say too much). 2, eh? Surprised there's that many :ooh:

PalmtreePilot74
19th Apr 2015, 22:36
Welcome to Japan :}

Further your imagination with the joy of the weekly updates, where China seems to delight in issuing changes just for the fun of it and we get to sit there switching over bits of toilet paper. For the Japanese it's even worse; they highlight their charts like kids colouring books and then they have to do more drawing with the weekly changes :ooh:

We don't have iPads, we have Apids (ANA/AJX Pilot Intelligence Devices)....I kid you not. They do look remarkably similar to the iPad Air and we have the Jepp app installed. Most of us have done the groundschool and simulator 'training' necessary to use the Apid but we are waiting for the crusty old men in the Ministry to give us the go-ahead for trials in the aircraft. Obviously, during this 'trial' we will also carry our other manuals. It sounds like no-one else has ever used them in actual flight, so we must be the trailblazers and that's the reason for all the delays and nonsense in using them :rolleyes:. IF the JCAB finds the Apids are an acceptable replacement for the abacus and quills we might be allowed to use them all the time and get rid of all the paper that clutters up our flight bags. As Dom says, the prediction is Mar 2016 but I'm not holding my breath. We've had Apids for over 2 years already, so read into that what you will with the forward-thinking, modern, JCAB :ugh:

Same at NCA... We have 4 huge books of Jepps and weekly updates that make you want to slash your wrists! 2 years with iPads and the only thing we don't have to carry is the OM, which is so confusing, that you have to use written cliff notes to get the info needed. The JCAB has the a strangle hold on the aviation industry and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. Oh the fun!

Captain Biggles84
20th Apr 2015, 01:06
Are jepp charts supplied to the individual or is a personal supply required?
I use jepp view at present and print my own charts and have back up on ipad app for reference if I have an out of date chart. Is that sorta the same principle being used but referencing the AIPad or whatever that is called?

Fratemate
20th Apr 2015, 02:53
As Dom said, we get issued with our own set of Jepps that we must update and carry, i.e. a load of bits of paper that weigh a tonne. We have the JeppFD-Pro app on our iPads but at the moment we are not allowed to use our iPads on the flight deck once the flight deck door is closed. We have conducted groundschool 'training' on the use of the app and have 'trained' on it in the sim but we now wait for the JCAB to approve a trial for use in the aircraft, as we obviously cannot use the evidence of other states because the FAA etc clearly cannot be trusted to do these things correctly :rolleyes: During the trial we will still have to carry, and keep updated, the paper Jepps. Hopefully the trial will be a success and we will then be allowed to be like normal pilots and carry just the iPad (and enjoy the bonfire of Jepp paper). The trial will be a trial because it not only has to convince the JCAB that we won't blow up because we've turned on an electronic device on the flight deck but we also have to convince the Japanese pilots that it is possible to read and use charts that aren't covered in multi-coloured highlights :ugh:.

Captain Biggles84
20th Apr 2015, 07:27
Cheers for the info guys

The Dominican
21st Apr 2015, 00:32
Capt Coco fly around in STAR WARS painted planes....!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g70eqOT0LPU

That is just pure geek porn:D

jrmyl
21st Apr 2015, 12:40
Yes, apparently only two out of the five passed the evaluations this time around. They are apparently going to be headed to the sims very quickly as well. I have heard by the end of this month.

But on a good note, all 4 of us upgrade trainees passed the checks. So there are now 4 new captains at AJX. :)

The Dominican
21st Apr 2015, 20:38
But on a good note, all 4 of us upgrade trainees passed the checks. So there are now 4 new captains at AJX.
Felicidades capitán.......!

Looking forward to raise your gear......:D

Capt Coco
22nd Apr 2015, 13:58
Congrats Jeremy well done mate.

Capt Coco
22nd Apr 2015, 16:44
jrmyl

Yes, apparently only two out of the five passed the evaluations this time around. They are apparently going to be headed to the sims very quickly as well. I have heard by the end of this month.

Not sure if it's true jrmyl, but it seems it's earlier than end of this month, someone said they saw them in the sim on Monday (20th Apr) already, starting their command training!!! About the quickest turn around time from 'command committee meeting' to sim training I have ever heard of, but good for them. Good luck boys. Apparently they will be all finished in the sim in the first week of May already.

Not sure of what flow on affects this will have on all the future command courses, but it looks good for everyone coming up.

jrmyl
24th Apr 2015, 11:30
Thanks for the congrats. Our sim training was just about 3 weeks long so first week of May would be about right. I also heard that the next group of evals should be starting soon as well. :ok:

EFC_
25th Apr 2015, 15:05
Recently got word that I passed the medical screening, now standing by for class date assignment. Is it safe to assume that the "screening" is complete, or has anyone heard of applicants given the thanks but no thanks even after completing everything?

Also, what is the dress code at the training center? I met a fellow while I was at the interview that was midway thru training and he was in a suit. Is this the standard for all training? Coming from the states I am accustomed to a pretty relaxed business casual atmosphere.

Fratemate
26th Apr 2015, 02:22
has anyone heard of applicants given the thanks but no thanks even after completing everything?

Never heard of anything like that happening before, so I reckon you're pretty safe :ok: Obviously some people get through the selection process and decide they'd rather stay at home or take up a different offer but I've never heard of anyone passing everything and then not getting offered a job.

Also, what is the dress code at the training center?

It is not prescribed but it is certainly not the relaxed style you might be used to :) Some people wear a semi-pilot type of 'uniform'; in other words, dark trousers, white shirt and black tie (normally their clothes from their previous airline)......obviously minus all the gold trimmings of the normal day wear. Some people wear smart trousers (definitely NEVER jeans) and a shirt/short-sleeved shirt with a tie. There are classes available for Americans on how to knot a tie and wean them off clip-ons :E Even in the height of Summer it was normal to see ties being worn although, doubtless, someone will spring up any second now and say they didn't wear a tie their whole time. The guys you saw in suits may have been on day one of the course, when I've only ever seen suits being worn. As I say, nothing is laid down but you can take your cue from the way the Japanese dress because I think that is reasonable to think what they would expect from someone joining their operation. In the office they will nearly always be dressed in trousers, shirt and tie........although I did once see a rebel in the office who'd undone his top button and relaxed the tie. I never saw him the next day but there was a new pile of soil in the grass outside :}

Come on Dom, you love this subject :):):):)

EFC_
26th Apr 2015, 05:44
[QUOTE=Fratemate;8956207]Never heard of anything like that happening before, so I reckon you're pretty safe

It is not prescribed but it is certainly not the relaxed style you might be used to :)

Appreciate the info, it has been a very long process and would hate to get the rug pulled out at this point.

As a grown man, I have never been able to use a clip on tie. I was mainly curious if I needed to step up my suit game.

gtseraf
26th Apr 2015, 06:08
EFC, congrats on the news.

You will find the whole experience in Japan somewhat different to previous lives.

Be prepared to do things differently and be aware, from day 1 what is acceptable and not acceptable behaviour. Things in Japan are a lot more formal than what we are used to in the West.

When you arrive, introduce yourself to the guys on course ahead of you and try to get as much info on the course as possible from them, they will definitely help to prevent the odd cultural faux pas.

It's pretty straightforward, so nothing to be alarmed about. Just learn the rules quickly and play the game, that's the easiest way.

There's lots of support for the guys and, in general, we all look after each other.

Good luck with it all and enjoy the experience.:E

767 Autopilot
26th Apr 2015, 23:49
I hope things have changed since the 2009-2010 time frame when this was a highly desired contract, but back then there was many pilots who passed the screening and medical, but were never offered a course.( Including couple of my friends).
Some had to wait 5-8 months for a course date and some never got one, just an email saying you have not been selected.
Of course times are different now and they seem to have a shortage of quality candidates, so I do not know what the current situation is.

Also in the past during the hot summer months the office and training department do take the tie off( there will be a letter on the wall explaining this policy (Japanese only, of course)), so they can justify setting the A/C to a cool 28 C :eek: at the offices.

Hope it works out for you, welcome.

EFC_
27th Apr 2015, 06:02
I hope things have changed since the 2009-2010 time frame when this was a highly desired contract, but back then there was many pilots who passed the screening and medical, but were never offered a course.( Including couple of my friends).
Some had to wait 5-8 months for a course date and some never got one, just an email saying you have not been selected.
Of course times are different now and they seem to have a shortage of quality candidates, so I do not know what the current situation is.

Also in the past during the hot summer months the office and training department do take the tie off( there will be a letter on the wall explaining this policy (Japanese only, of course)), so they can justify setting the A/C to a cool 28 C :eek: at the offices.

Hope it works out for you, welcome.

Thanks for the input. I will try to not assume you are inferring that I am a low quality candidate.

gtseraf
27th Apr 2015, 08:56
step # 1

never assume ;)

767 Autopilot
27th Apr 2015, 12:21
Just making a general statement.

I do not know you and do not know your qualifications. I never said anything about you.
Remember that the most important thing about this job and training is your attitude. Does not matter how good you are, if your attitude is not a fit to the company, they will get rid of you.

Uptheresomewhere
2nd May 2015, 07:47
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for the informative post, much appreciated and most helpful.

I am considering applying to AJX and have a couple of questions, that I don't believe have been answered after reading the last several years' worth of posts:

1. My wife is keen to work out of Asia and has the potential to get a job in several countries. Compared to commuting from Australia, I hope this might enable us to see more of each other due to the shorter commute. Tokyo is not high on her list of options for the reasons mentioned previously in this thread and a couple of others.

a) If you have a day off in NRT, say with an early finish the previous day and late start the following day, is there any problem with you leaving Japan provided you are back in time for duty?

b) If she has a choice of cities, we were thinking it could be worthwhile going for one with a greater number of overnights, and I could just stay at 'home'. As such, does anyone have any advice on this, i.e. is it likely/possible and if so, what cities have a greater number of overnights, understanding that schedules/routes etc are subject to change?

Obviously I understand this is a commuting contract and you can only bank on your 10 days + 2 (+2), but if it could work, why not give it a go?

2. I notice that CReW states that you would have access to staff travel after 6 months of service. Can anyone advise whether this 6 months would start post check to line or after commencement of training?

Thanks very much in advance.:)

Chewwy00
2nd May 2015, 08:04
Hi EFC,

Congrats on being successful through all selection and medical!
I passed my medical exam last Friday (a week ago) and was wondering how long it took you to hear your medical was successful? Also, have you been offered something (contract) yet? A class date?
What they told me during the interview is that it would most probably be a September or November class for me...

See you soon I hope!
Best,

Chewy

EFC_
3rd May 2015, 19:39
Hi EFC,

Congrats on being successful through all selection and medical!
I passed my medical exam last Friday (a week ago) and was wondering how long it took you to hear your medical was successful? Also, have you been offered something (contract) yet? A class date?
What they told me during the interview is that it would most probably be a September or November class for me...

See you soon I hope!
Best,

Chewy

Hey Chewy,

Congrats to you as well. It took approximately 5-6 weeks before I got a call from my agency with the positive result. At the interview I was told a July class was likely, but when I received the call about my successful medical results I was told July was filled. Hopefully I will get placed in the September class, still waiting to get the official invite with an exact class date though.

More time with the family this summer and more time to teach myself enough Japanese to survive outside the classroom is how I'm looking at it.

Congrats again and I'll see you out there!

Fratemate
4th May 2015, 03:29
a) If you have a day off in NRT, say with an early finish the previous day and late start the following day, is there any problem with you leaving Japan provided you are back in time for duty?

Yes, there is a problem because when you commute back for your late start and then fly all through the night you're going to be knackered and the poor bloke sitting next to you is going to be carrying you. It is not acceptable that you'd be permanently shagged and your name would be mud in the first week of being on line, as well as the obvious risks it poses to safety. The nearest place to could live would be Korea and even if you had perfectly timed flights with no delays and lived next door to ICN then you'd still be looking at leaving your house some 4 hours before report. To then fly the CAN and OKA route you would be a gibbering mess by the time you had to cope with the edge of typhoon winds we often experience there. No, it's a really stupid idea and that doesn't even account for the immigration side of things (Shore Pass versus E/D card) let alone if you get a roster change. Even a Blank Day on the roster is often not a day off (unless required for 'legality') and is subject to change. Forget the idea.

b) If she has a choice of cities, we were thinking it could be worthwhile going for one with a greater number of overnights, and I could just stay at 'home'. As such, does anyone have any advice on this, i.e. is it likely/possible and if so, what cities have a greater number of overnights, understanding that schedules/routes etc are subject to change?

I find that I rarely go anywhere more than once in a roster period, unless you include OKA which is used as a cargo 'hub'. We obviously fly a fair bit into China but DLC, TSN, XMN and TAO are turnarounds. PVG and CAN would be available but if you could face living in China then you'd be better flying with the Chinese and getting paid more to put up with the place. If anywhere, I would say HKG might appear a couple of times on a roster. It's generally a short stay but you might be able to spend a few extra hours at home. Our Korean pilots normally manage a quick look at their houses when they do ICN flights but I can't remember when I last stayed there......maybe we're not night stopping there at the moment :confused: SGN, RGN, SIN, HNL, BKK, TPE you'll only ever see once on your roster, unless your name is XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (where X = a random number and should not be counted as specific). So, in summary, by all means move closer to NRT than Oz if you want to reduce your commute time and if it works for you then one of destinations would make sense but I think you'll normally only manage to get an extra night at home once per month.

2. I notice that CReW states that you would have access to staff travel after 6 months of service. Can anyone advise whether this 6 months would start post check to line or after commencement of training?

I don't know the definitive answer to this by I am pretty certain it's from when you start your training. The reason I say this is because I've known guys who are freshly released to the line use ZED tickets to go home on their days off. Obviously they would have to use the C class option for the first 6 months if the staff travel rule applied to getting checked to the line but they definitely used ZED tickets within that time frame.

Uptheresomewhere
4th May 2015, 07:01
Yes, there is a problem because when you commute back for your late start and then fly all through the night you're going to be knackered and the poor bloke sitting next to you is going to be carrying you. It is not acceptable that you'd be permanently shagged and your name would be mud in the first week of being on line, as well as the obvious risks it poses to safety. The nearest place to could live would be Korea and even if you had perfectly timed flights with no delays and lived next door to ICN then you'd still be looking at leaving your house some 4 hours before report. To then fly the CAN and OKA route you would be a gibbering mess by the time you had to cope with the edge of typhoon winds we often experience there.

Thanks Fratemate, obviously I would never do anything to compromise safety or my ability to be in peak condition when arriving for duty.

Appreciate the detailed response and honestly, even if it only serves to rule out some options. Cheers

The Dominican
4th May 2015, 09:44
@uptheresomewhere

I have to agree with Frate on this one...., it's just going to be impractical for you to do this with any frequency to make it worth your while and besides the point of fatigue, it is a matter of time before you won't show up for work due to an irregular operation or weather.

Although we have a relatively small pilot group and only go to a handful of destinations, there are some places that you won't go for months on end, let's say that you move to Honolulu where some of our pilots live, on average you won't get more than maybe 4 nights a year where you would be there on a trip and those nights you will just be there to sleep and try to adjust your internal clock for the departure 24 hours later, the same applies to some cities like Saigon where you can have a trip there this month and then won't go there again in 6 to 10 months.

The only place where you could move and make a good family lifestyle would be Tokyo although it is the only place that contractually we can't live in, the guys that do live here (Married to Japanese ladies for example) have the best options in terms of rosters since they spread their duty days throughout the month and enjoy the blank days and unused standby days at home.

Feather44
22nd May 2015, 15:03
Hy everyone,

I have a bunch of questions about the sim; any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 During the T/O, where do you bring the thrust lever after having pushed the N1 p/b on the MCP?

I had a glanceat the “Cockpit Overview” but I don’t see any detent or position markings.

2 Same style. How to set MCT for the V1 Cut scenario?

3 With AP& A/T OFF but both FD’s ON

Assuming a level flight; if I select a speed on the MCP and adjust the TL to obtain that speed; does the FD will provide pitch guidance to maintain altitude?

4 I read somewhere in the thread that during eng failure the PF should ask PM to trim the rudder.

What is the standard Call out? Should we ask for a specific unit? “Trim rudder right to 10!” (If yes, what would be the unit for a T/O weight of 280 000 lbs) or “Trim rudder right until I say stop!”

5 whenever we order the PM to set a speed. The call is “Set speed Vref+60 195 kt” or “Set speed 195 Kt”?

6 When overhead the VOR:
PF VOR: VOR station shall be memorized in MAN Mode,
Select inbound course and then return to AUTO mode.

PM VOR: VOR station to be used in MAN mode and set inbound course and leave it in AUTO Mode.

What does it means exactly? How do you select a particular mode and how do you switch to another mode?

7 When setting a Navaid frequency should I do the complete TITS? (tune, identify,test, set)

8 Descent Checklist: “Recall…. checked” Where and what are we supposed to check?

Finally, I swallow my pride & ego, but I would like to practice a little bit before the BIG DAY...:\ !!!!! Do you know a Sim Center in Tokyo where to do that? (preferably out of the view of Air Japan team)

Thanks in advance to the good souls…
Cheers

jrmyl
22nd May 2015, 23:11
I am going to assume that you are unfamiliar with an autothrottle equipped aircraft based on your questions. I will try to answer as best I can but I hope others might chime in who have completed the screening recently as it has been 5 1/2 years since I did it.

1 During the T/O, where do you bring the thrust lever after having pushed the N1 p/b on the MCP? You will manually bring the thrust levers to 70% while holding the brakes and when the engines are stable you push N1. When you push N1, the thrust levers will automatically advance to the t/o thrust setting.

I had a glanceat the “Cockpit Overview” but I don’t see any detent or position markings. There are none.

2 Same style. How to set MCT for the V1 Cut scenario? During the V1 cut, you will call for MCT after 1500' or ALT CAP, whichever occurs first. Make the call, "set MCT" and the PM will push the correct button.

3 With AP& A/T OFF but both FD’s ON

Assuming a level flight; if I select a speed on the MCP and adjust the TL to obtain that speed; does the FD will provide pitch guidance to maintain altitude? When you are manually flying you will command the PM to set the speed you desire. You will then manually adjust the thrust to maintain that and adjust your pitch to the FD pitch. That will maintain your altitude.

4 I read somewhere in the thread that during eng failure the PF should ask PM to trim the rudder.

What is the standard Call out? Should we ask for a specific unit? “Trim rudder right to 10!” (If yes, what would be the unit for a T/O weight of 280 000 lbs) or “Trim rudder right until I say stop!” I have heard it as "Set trim (right/left) 5 units." 5 units is a pretty safe area to set it. On the approach after reducing thrust on GS you will need to readjust to less trim.

5 whenever we order the PM to set a speed. The call is “Set speed Vref+60 195 kt” or “Set speed 195 Kt”? I order "Set speed 195"

6 When overhead the VOR:

PM VOR: VOR station to be used in MAN mode and set inbound course and leave it in AUTO Mode.

What does it means exactly? How do you select a particular mode and how do you switch to another mode? On the glareshield you will see the VOR frequency and Course. In between those two things is a push button. That is how you select manual or auto mode.

7 When setting a Navaid frequency should I do the complete TITS? (tune, identify,test, set) Not sure on this one.

8 Descent Checklist: “Recall…. checked” Where and what are we supposed to check? You will order "Check recall" or some other type of command. I can't remember what they are wanting to use now as they recently changed it. The PM will push the recall button next to the Upper EICAS and read out any messages that appear. If they are appropriate for the flight condition, then "Cancel Messages"

Finally, I swallow my pride & ego, but I would like to practice a little bit before the BIG DAY... !!!!! Do you know a Sim Center in Tokyo where to do that? (preferably out of the view of Air Japan team)I don't know of any in Japan but there are some in the US.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.:ok:

koubri
23rd May 2015, 06:10
Hi Feather44
I had the sim last week and now waiting for the medical result.
What jrmyl is correct. I would just had a few points if that can help.

5 whenever we order the PM to set a speed. The call is “Set speed Vref+60 195 kt” or “Set speed 195 Kt”? I order "Set speed 195"
They want you to call the exact speed "set speed 195", that's what they said during the orientation.

6 When overhead the VOR:

What does it means exactly? How do you select a particular mode and how do you switch to another mode? On the glareshield you will see the VOR frequency and Course. In between those two things is a push button. That is how you select manual or auto mode.
I think they want you to do it "just before" being overhead. They'll review that with you during the orientation and will explain how that works. But basically when you do your set up, tune your VOR frequency in MAN and then push again the button that jmryl mentioned to get it back to AUTO. Then when approaching VOR just make sure your PM has his one in MAN.

7 When setting a Navaid frequency should I do the complete TITS? (tune, identify,test, set) Not sure on this one.
I didn't do it but maybe that can be a good idea. I just called for "check weather, set for ILS 17" and let him do the thing. The PM was amzingly quick in doing the set up. That's maybe because already on the ground he had already set up the CDU for the next approach. Anyway he will tune the frequency and course, and set up the approach in the CDU, so once he is done (and he will be done in less than 2 secs) you just have to handover controls, set your bugs and do the briefing.
And they want really short briefings.

8 Descent Checklist: “Recall…. checked” Where and what are we supposed to check? You will order "Check recall" or some other type of command. I can't remember what they are wanting to use now as they recently changed it. The PM will push the recall button next to the Upper EICAS and read out any messages that appear. If they are appropriate for the flight condition, then "Cancel Messages"
I kept it easy on that one. When the item "recall" on the check-list came i just called "checked" and so did the PM. I didn't do any action.
My PM was reading the checklist very fast.

I am not rated on B767 so my knowledge of how to operate the aircraft is very very basic. Be aware that everything goes extremely fast in the sim (at least that was my impression). Once back on the ground you have less than a second to take a deep breath and then the show starts again.

Hope that helps a bit.
Good luck

Feather44
23rd May 2015, 13:40
Ok, I take note guys.
Thanks a lot for your comments!! ;)

EFC_
23rd May 2015, 14:30
During my sim briefing they told me I could set the frequency in manual and go back to auto while on the ground if I wanted, so I set it while setting up for my second takeoff prior to the VOR approach portion. Also, I did not tune and id, just call for the PM to set up and concentrate on stuatonal awareness and aircraft control.

EFC_
23rd May 2015, 14:32
I'd like to ask the line guys some of their favorite and/or least favorite overnights. Just trying to get a feel for normal operations over there.<br />
<br />
Thanks.

Kraus
23rd May 2015, 23:09
You do a majority of freight, so overnights are not quite what you might euphemistically describe as "overnights". That being the case, taxi to HND, fly to OKA, then PVG, arrive in the morning, that night it's back the other way, with the only difference you catch a bus back to NRT instead of a taxi is not a popular one.
On the PAX side you can get 9 hours or less in TPE, CAN AND HKG, but it is during the night!

The Dominican
24th May 2015, 12:04
It is subjective really...., there are people that like the several days cargo trips since they pay for less nights at the hotel in Narita, Not Me! others absolutely hate the day trips and I could do nothing but passenger out and back for my entire roster; you hear others complaining that they haven't done a Honolulu in months where as they could have all of mine..., over priced dump with multiple time zone crossings that leaves you like a zombie at both ends of the trip! Some like cargo, others like the passenger trips!

But the rule of thumb around here is that you will get plenty of what you don't like in your roster to accommodate the life style of a few numb nuts that try to rearrange their schedule, don't answer their phone on Stby days and plain old refuse trips they don't like.

The days of cozy two nights passenger trips to nice destinations disappeared with the merger..., come here for the lifestyle of your days off and the business class commute.

EFC_
24th May 2015, 14:48
Thanks guys. I've always been a commuter, so whenever I look at my trips for the month I'm looking at start and finish times and that's it. I don't really care what the company has me doing on their time. I'm not a squeaky wheel.

EFC_
2nd Jun 2015, 00:42
Have any guys in the hiring pool received class dates recently? No news for me yet.

Chewwy00
2nd Jun 2015, 16:50
Hello EFC, Koubri,

I've been notified by Parc last week that I also was in pool now since the results of my medical came in good (after 6 looooooong weeks)(had the interview on 20th April). They also said that I had to be patient and that I would most probably be looking at a November class (no guarantee though, just a wild guess from experience she said). She also said that the amount of waiting time would be in function of the successful candidates that have the same profile as me. There's apparently three distinct group of classes: 767 rated guys, Boeing previous experience guys, and the rest. So if all the successful guys are 767 rated it'll be a longer waiting time for me than if those guys are non 767/Boeing experienced.
If anyone as more info, I'm willing to take it ;-)

Thanks for sharing the info and hopefully see you guys soon in Tokyo.
Cheers,

Chewy

EFC_
2nd Jun 2015, 18:34
Thanks for the info, and congrats Chewy. If it makes you feel better, I interviewed at the end of February. Does anyone know how much lead time a new hire usually receives before their class date? Meaning time between phone call offering class date and first day of class.

koubri
4th Jun 2015, 09:35
Hi Chewwy

It has just been two weeks that i had the medical so i guess i still have another 4 long weeks to go for the result.

Did you have to get the call for the psychiatrist ? If yes, when did that come?

EFC_
4th Jun 2015, 12:35
Did you have to get the call for the psychiatrist ? If yes, when did that come?[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
The psychiatrist call came about 2 weeks after returning from Tokyo for me.

DIESELENGINE
10th Jun 2015, 07:47
Can anyone pith in on how particular they are about appearance, as far as beard goes?

And what about that 100 PIC x-country requirement? I dont have it, some agencies say you gotta have it some say as long as you have 3000h total, you can apply...I need some help guys,

Thank you

Kraus
10th Jun 2015, 10:46
YOU NEED THE 100 HOURS.:ugh:

Check with the guy that pulled off course and told to come back with the 100 hours, they're not going down that road again.

Fratemate
10th Jun 2015, 21:11
As far as beards are concerned, it seems to me that the Japanese are quite suspicious about them and it might just, possibly, be the one thing that means the difference between a job offer or not. We have plenty of pilots who sport beards but I cannot think of any of them who had fuzzy faces during the selection process i.e. most of them grew a beard after finishing training. This is purely an opinion based on observation and with absolutely no defined evidence of their selection standards.

Echoing what Kraus said (and what has been said several times in this long-running thread) the 100 hours cross country PIC is an absolute necessity, along with the night hours etc etc because they are a requirement for the issue of an ATPL. No ATPL, no flying with AJX.

KiloFoxtrot
12th Jun 2015, 14:38
I interviewed in January and like others it took around 4 weeks to get the news that I passed. I was offered a May class. So initially, I had a couple of months. My son was born in April and I asked if I could be put in the July class and they were ok with that so I start July 6th.

As far as I know, if you pass the interview the job is yours. Training classes start every 2 months and they are only classes of 8. That may be why it takes some time to get a class date.

For those who are currently at AJX, how close is the Takenawa apartments to the training facilities? How did you get back and forth to training?

brhmky
12th Jun 2015, 20:24
Just finished reading the 110th page of this forum, now another forum ahead to read on this subject. I would like to thank all of you guys here who put their effort to help others , especially to Fratemate and The dominican as I see that they have been writing here for years to help everybody without any expectations.

Currently I am working for a major flag carrier company flying A330 and had flown B737 before that for about a year and I have 2600 hours TT right now. I am really interested in applying for this position as it offers a great flexibility of living anywhere in the world with many other benefits such as a good salary, working in a developed country , a command upgrade etc.. Basically overall it looks like really a great gig which is hard to find and its kinda job that I would keep working for many years and it suits all my needs.

However I am really in a dilemma as I will get upgraded to either a B737 or a320 if I stay here when I have 5000 tt(2.5 years from now on). But the thing is I am not planning to stay here on the long term as I dont like living here. I will either get the job at Air Japan after obtaining 3000 hours and having passed all the interview and leave here or I will leave here after my command upgrade and will go for a commutting contract somewhere in the world. So its a go or go decision but the question is if I should wait till I get my command upgrade which is almost a guarantee or leave before that and get the job I would be happy with and which have all the aspects I want now and in the future and delay or risk my upgrade..(Ps : Even though I get my command upgrade here I cant apply to Air Japan anymore as they ask for 3000 PIC and only hire captains with Japanese ATPL). But as we all know getting your command is the most important step of this job..

So should I wait for an upgrade living in a place I dont want to live or should I go for Air Japan job where I could be happier but delaying or risking my upgrade ? What do u guys think about it ? What do ur guts tell u ? I want to hear ur opinions based on your experience.

And I would really appreciate if someone can send me the briefing package so I can have a look at it. It would be easier to understand the comments about the similator if I had it !

Thanks in advance and I hope everybody achieves what they want !!

Absolutely
13th Jun 2015, 01:23
BRHMKY,

Delaying or knocking back a position at AJX to get a few hundred hours command where you are will not really achieve anything. If you have decided that AJX is what you want then as soon as you get your 3000hrs go for it. In my opinion ANA will not care about 500hrs command on the 737 or A320 and it will only delay your spot at AJX, if that's what you really want.
Sorry I don't have a briefing package.

Fratemate
13th Jun 2015, 03:11
BRHMKY,

I agree with Absolutely. You are going to get your 3000 hours a lot sooner than the 5000 you need for a command in your current job and that command will make no difference to your AJX application. For DEC in AJX you basically need a JCAB ATPL, >3000 PIC in 737 or bigger (and a 767 type rating to make you really competitive). You're not going to achieve any of that for a fairly long time and if it's AJX you want then you're far better off applying for it as soon as you can, getting on the AJX list and, therefore, getting an AJX command as soon as you can.

DIESELENGINE
13th Jun 2015, 08:59
Fratemate, Im a bit confused now,

You said "No ATPL, no flying with AJX".

I DO have:
FAA ATPL
about 4000h total (mostly E145 and A320),
I DO have plenty of night,
and i DO have a beard! ;)

but I DO NOT have:100 PIC x-coutry nor do I have 250 PIC (plenty of PICUS though :ok:)

Would that still fly?

The only reason I'm trying to really be clear about this, is because one of the hiring pilots from LONGREACH CHINA,confused the heck out of me by replying me in an email: " as long as you have 3000 total, you're ok to apply"

Just seems like he skipped a few steps there ...

Fratemate
13th Jun 2015, 11:16
Sorry, Diesel, I should have been more specific. No JCAB ATPL, no flying for AJX. In order to get a JCAB ATPL issued you have to have the 100 hours PIC X-country, as well as the night stuff etc.

As Kraus said, we had one guy who'd completed most of the course. He'd done his type rating test in the sim and was due to sit his ATPL check. During the course of checking his paperwork before they put him up for the check our office staff noticed that he did not have the 100 hours PIC X-country. He'd gone through a cadet program and gone straight to the 744 but that wasn't good enough! He was not allowed to sit the ATPL check and was let go from AJV (at the time) but, all credit to him, he went to the States and bashed holes in the sky in a puddle jumper to get the requisite hours and then he came back to AJV.......and started all over again :eek::eek::eek: He's now a captain :)

The Japanese have no idea what PICUS is so, no, that won't fly.

one of the hiring pilots from LONGREACH CHINA

I can see your problem straight away; you believed something that someone associated with China said. First off, if it's someone from China then it's almost certainly going to be a lie. Second, the Chinese rules may well be different to Japan. I really don't know but, then again, I'm not for one moment pretending I do....unlike the the guy from LC.

Have a chat with the people at Crew. They're used to dealing with pilots from the USA and know what they're talking about with AJX, so they'll be able to tell you exactly what you need and don't need. They might even be able to advise you on the best razor to use on your face fungus :ok:

EFC_
13th Jun 2015, 12:04
Hi all,
I'll be in the September class. Thanks again for all of the advice and insight during the process.

gtseraf
13th Jun 2015, 23:28
congrats and good luck with the course and your time in AJX :ok:

virustalon
14th Jun 2015, 01:45
DieselEngine

"Fratemate, Im a bit confused now,

You said "No ATPL, no flying with AJX".

I DO have:
FAA ATPL
about 4000h total (mostly E145 and A320),
I DO have plenty of night,
and i DO have a beard!

but I DO NOT have:100 PIC x-coutry nor do I have 250 PIC (plenty of PICUS though )

Would that still fly?

The only reason I'm trying to really be clear about this, is because one of the hiring pilots from LONGREACH CHINA,confused the heck out of me by replying me in an email: " as long as you have 3000 total, you're ok to apply"

Just seems like he skipped a few steps there ..."

How can you have FAA ATPL and not have the 100x Country if thats a requirement for FAA CPL?

You obviously have it if you're flying e145 and A320.

You make me confused.

The Dominican
14th Jun 2015, 02:02
How can you have FAA ATPL and not have the 100x Country if thats a requirement for FAA CPL?
Wondering the same thing:confused:

tokyojohn
14th Jun 2015, 08:19
In the U.S. once you obtain your PPL and fly with an instructor you can log it as PIC time even though it's dual received. In Japan this kind of PIC time is not accepted. I think that's why.

The Dominican
14th Jun 2015, 08:53
tokyojohn In the U.S. once you obtain your PPL and fly with an instructor you can log it as PIC time even though it's dual received.

It will still show as PIC time towards his U.S. ATP wouldn't it?

The question is how can he have an FAA issued ATP without one of the requirements stated on 61.159 in this case the minimum PIC time???

tokyojohn
14th Jun 2015, 09:41
He does have the reqs for the FAA ATP. 250 hours of flight time in an airplane as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof, which includes at least
1. 100 hours of cross-country flight time.
The JCAB doesn't allow the pic Xcountry to be "second in command performing the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a pilot in command." whereas in the U.S. it does.

The Dominican
14th Jun 2015, 09:47
but I DO NOT have:100 PIC x-coutry nor do I have 250 PIC (plenty of PICUS though )

I'm just going by what he wrote:confused:

galbi_c
14th Jun 2015, 13:04
Just to clarify, 250 PIC can be in propeller planes as an instructor? Some of us only have SIC jet times.. Thanks

Fratemate
14th Jun 2015, 13:48
The JCAB doesn't allow the pic Xcountry to be "second in command performing the duties of pilot in command while under the supervision of a pilot in command." whereas in the U.S. it does.

Sounds reasonable to me. Diesel was able to obtain his FAA ATPL by virtue of his PICUS time, which is all legal and above board. Unfortunately, as I said previously, the JCAB do not recognise PICUS so to qualify for the AJX job Diesel will have to ensure he does have both the 250 total AND the 100 cross country PIC hours before he can apply.

Just to clarify, 250 PIC can be in propeller planes as an instructor?

The requirement is only that you have 250 PIC (plus the other stuff) and there is no need for it to be in jets. Whether that makes you competitive in the selection is a different matter but your PIC can be in propellor driven aircraft.

The Dominican
14th Jun 2015, 14:35
"Sounds reasonable to me. Diesel was able to obtain his FAA ATPL by virtue of his PICUS time, which is all legal and above board. Unfortunately, as I said previously, the JCAB do not recognise PICUS so to qualify for the AJX job Diesel will have to ensure he does have both the 250 total AND the 100 cross country PIC hours before he can apply."

I don't care about reasonable...., literal as per the FAR's is what's relevant...., you need 250h of which 100 MUST be actual PIC...., he stated that he doesn't have it....! So how come an FAA, ATP?

The Dominican
14th Jun 2015, 14:55
You keep talking about jets and turboprops and the regulations say nothing about it.....! It is very simple, you need 250 hours of which 100 MUST be PIC...!

Must | Define Must at Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/must)

gtseraf
14th Jun 2015, 21:38
Gentlemen

We can debate this issue till the cows come home. It will not change a thing.

If you have doubts, contact the contracting companies and they will give you their answer. THIEIR answer is the definitive answer.

The requirements for conversion to a JAPANESE ATPL are rigid and cannot be negotiated. If you meet the requirements, then your application should be able to be processed. If you don't meet the requirements, then find out, from the contracting company, what is required and move forward from there.

This endless discussion of PICUS etc. on pprune is pointless, as the JCAB will not be influenced by pprune.

Fratemate
14th Jun 2015, 23:02
Who keeps "talking about jets and turboprops and the regulations say nothing about it", Dom? I was answering the question put by galbi_c, which is separate to the discussion on Diesel's qualifications.

The Dominican
15th Jun 2015, 00:01
I understand Frate....., but the point is that if he has an FAA ATP..., he has to have at least 100 PIC, the rest of the PIC hours required can be PICUS but even that is irrelevant.

And that is my point, he has the required PIC to apply here, he must have and somehow be confused about it, otherwise he wouldn't had been issued an ATP.......:ugh:

tokyojohn
15th Jun 2015, 01:54
Hi Domician,
I think he's just saying he doesnt have the 250 hard PIC (and xcountry PIC) per JCAB standards. He has it for the FAA standards because picus is allowed in U.S. As for the other question the 250 pic can be general aviation aircraft. I know people working at AJX who were not part 121 jet CAs but have something else to offer, like several hundred hours time in type 767 or tons of SIC jet hours like 6k plus. They are Captains now at AJX.

tokyojohn
15th Jun 2015, 02:22
Hope you all don't think I'm annoying but to clarify it even further basically the 100 Xcountry pic and 250 pic reqs for the FAA ATP can be all PICUS whereas for JCAB 0 picus counts. A friend of mine got invited to a screening in the USA recently , about 3500TT 2500 RJ SIC. He couldn't make the screening though.

Fratemate
15th Jun 2015, 06:22
Okay, let's just try and make things nice and clear so there's no confusion. In order to obtain a JCAB ATPL you need at least:

1500 hours total including:

250 hours PIC, of which at least 100 hours must be cross country PIC
200 hours cross country total
75 hours instrument
100 hours night

PICUS does NOT count

These hours can be in a jet or a propellor driven aircraft.

The Japanese are wary of beards.

All clear......please :\

DIESELENGINE
15th Jun 2015, 20:25
Thanks Fratemate, didnt mean to make your face red, but then again somebody else might have contributed to that too lol

On a serious note though, i really do appreciate all the inputs :ok:

Gonna call the CREW, sounds like those guys know whats up!

BTW Frate, not to belittle your effort to clarify things, but here are requirements from "CREW":
PIC Experience Requirement:

250 hrs. PIC -or-

250 hrs., of which 70 hrs. are PIC and remaining experience is PICUS
-or-
500 hrs. PICUS

100 hrs. PIC
-or-
PICUS Cross Country;

IN OTHER WORDS, ITS OK NOT TO HAVE 100h PIC X-COUTNRY, AS LONG YOU HAVE 100h PICUS X-COUNTRY.

oldhasbeen
23rd Jun 2015, 23:26
maybe i'm just old school, but is anyone else even slightly uneasy with the fact that you can come fly a 767 with 250 hours PIC??

gtseraf
24th Jun 2015, 00:07
to fly it as an F/O, the 250 PIC is not a problem, as a Captain I'd agree with you.

tokyojohn
24th Jun 2015, 13:51
250 PIC is bare minimum but most FOs dont have that much PIC time. Which is better? Someone with 5000TT of which 2000 is TPIC in an CRJ or somone with 500 PIC in a GA prop but 4000 hours in a B737NG??

The Dominican
24th Jun 2015, 20:39
The classic quality of experience debate......!

It all depends on who you ask of course and there is never a "one size fits all" answer to anything...., but I was caught as a line check airman right in the middle of the big "pay for training" boom in the states and here is my take on it after training hundreds in a period of six years.....!

What I found is that is not the total amount of hours but rather the first flight hours of an individual that seem to make the difference.., those formative first 1,000 hours let's say just to place a number on it, those hours that form the base of the experience upon the rest of an individual experience will be built eventually.

Those pilots that flew those first formative flight hours on A/C's with minimal or non- existent automation did a lot better on the overall handling of the airplane, it was a lot easier to train a pilot that flew checks single pilot at night on a Queen Air and now was flying as an F/O on a Citation, than it was to train the typical "puppy mill" P2P individual with a couple thousand hours of nothing but CRT's in front of him/her, regardless of if PIC/SIC.

tokyojohn
25th Jun 2015, 02:48
I agree with you. Also some people just dont have what it takes. Hours dont really matter so much after a certain point, you can either fly or you cant. Ive flown with some 20,000 hours CAs who werent so good but have flown with CAs with low time like 5k who were stellar. Just out of curiosity are most applicants for air japan FOs?? Or are there many narrowbody CA applicants?

The Dominican
25th Jun 2015, 04:25
We are getting applicants from the whole spectrum although most are either F/O's from LCC's in the EU..., to RJ captains from the US and other places, to guys coming for our commuting conditions from the ME...., We even have a 777 skipper that came to the right seat. But that is not common although with deteriorating conditions as I read here and other sites, it wouldn't surprise me to see more people going for a commuting contract.

On the other hand, there have been several folks leaving recently, a few US guys going for jobs at the majors and the cargo gigs in the US...., but not just guys from the US, couple of guys from OZ left right after they got checked on the line, I don't know where they went.

People need to understand that this indeed is a good gig for the commuting conditions but there are a LOT of issues with fatigue, lack of communication, policies being implemented that are specifically placed to alienate the pilots from management etc......! And our management team doesn't understand that no longer this is by far the best option out there, this contract has fallen behind in pay and conditions..., China is putting a lot of pressure with pay and month on/month off rosters and taxes paid in China.

It is just NOT the small happy family atmosphere that once was and there are some tantalizing options out there:ugh:

gtseraf
25th Jun 2015, 04:42
:ok:

well said Dom.

pity some of the hard lessons of the past seem to have been forgotten already.:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::mad:

tokyojohn
26th Jun 2015, 03:24
Thanks for info, hopefully then the conditions will improve there. I see stuff in china with a lot of flexibility, like 6 on 2 off, month on month off etc etc, all with great pay. I'll take flying in Japan or China any day over the ME but thats just me. Some people do like it over there. I was quite surprised about the 777 CA who came right seat. He must really love sushi and Japanese beer.

DIESELENGINE
3rd Jul 2015, 18:59
ok guys so here a thing,
i think it would be fairly safe to assume, pretty much everybody who read this thread probably knows by now that you can get 12 days off in a row.

BUT ...
did you also know that technically you can get 14 full days off at home in a row!!! :)

And here is my question to those whould know : say you live in Hawaii and since its one of Air Japan's regularly scheduled destinations, would they be willing to schedule you to start and end your work roster in Hawaii? How awesome would that be :p

Unless its already been discussed or something :bored:

The Dominican
3rd Jul 2015, 19:16
It was tried for a short period but it didn't work since they didn't have enough staff to do it...., besides the fact that it is quite unfair that one particular destination would be dedicated to a specific group of pilots don't you think? And there was the issue of the commuting allowance, not only these pilots would be dedicated to a specific route, they would be collecting their commuting allowance every month while the company has a team of schedulers just to accommodate them....., With the way our roster works and the ability to choose your days off the Hono trip would be a constant crew exchange exclusively to those that live there while the rest of us are doing the middle of the night most fatiguing trips.:=

Everyone has to carry their own weight:rolleyes:

DIESELENGINE
4th Jul 2015, 06:25
grrr:(... yeah good points

The Dominican
4th Jul 2015, 06:44
Didn't mean to come across a little harsh...! Just trying to convey that if we want the ability to choose our days off all in a row and even add vacation days every month to take it to 14 days as you mentioned...., the schedulers must have the flexibility of using us without "special requests" during the working days. :ok:

DIESELENGINE
4th Jul 2015, 10:30
BTW Dominican you mentioned that there are some tantalizing options out there. would you be a good sport and indulge a little more into this? :)

Basically maybe give an example or two, if you don't mind..

Does anybody know what company that 777 captain came to AJ from? There are companies out there where a 777 skipper makes less than $6000 and works as damned (Aeroflot, OrenAir, probably Transaero...)

BoxFly
5th Jul 2015, 08:48
The 777 captain in question came from the sandbox making a very good wage. His coming to AJX was a decision based mostly on quality of life with his family and the ability to commute home every month.

atlanticjet
5th Jul 2015, 09:26
BTW, he's not the only one. There are 2 more ex-sandbox skippers (that I know of) that are with AJX, all for the aforementioned reason ! With the way things are moving along these days, they will be back in the left seat in a fairly short time.

The Dominican
5th Jul 2015, 12:25
BTW, he's not the only one. There are 2 more ex-sandbox skippers (that I know of) that are with AJX, all for the aforementioned reason ! With the way things are moving along these days, they will be back in the left seat in a fairly short time.

True.....! The latest command evaluations are just shy of three years right now.

DIESELENGINE
6th Jul 2015, 03:10
is medical there pretty in depth every year or do they only scrutinize you during your evaluation days?

and how much $ is gonna get jinxed out of my paycheck for taxes?

EFC_
13th Jul 2015, 15:12
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice on how to stay connected while in training. I've found a longer term pocket WiFi rental company advertising unlimited data for 6,900-8,500 JPY per month (price is dependent upon speed choice). Does this seem like a good way to go to stay connected, or does anyone else have suggestions that worked well for them?

Thanks

Macmoo
13th Jul 2015, 18:56
Hi fellow skyraiders,

I've been doing alot of reading and tracking of this forum, and I'm also one of the eager beavers who are busy applying to get into AJX. Out of curiosity to the guys currently flying for AJX, has there been any talk of Airbus aircraft entering the scene? Airbus has had a remarkable entry into Asian airlines and I wouldn't suprised about any future "aircraft change" talk...

Thanks for the brilliant info posted thus far.:ok:

Fratemate
14th Jul 2015, 00:23
EFC,

All our accommodation has the Internet, usually both wired and wireless but you can always just chuck a router in if no wireless around. On a personal note, I don't find it necessary to be online 100% of the day and can certainly do everything I need when back in the accommodation so wouldn't waste my time on having a data plan in Japan (Facebook can wait to hear what I had for breakfast). However, if you can't go without seeing a cat video for more than a few minutes and, as you're from the US, then I know AT&T did a great deal on a worldwide data plan that would be a lot less than anything the Japanese offer.

Macmoo,

Just look at the aircraft on ANA's books and you'll see that we won't be going anywhere near an Airbus anytime soon. It's almost a foregone conclusion that, eventually, we'll switch to the 787 but when is anybody's guess. Factor in the absence of 787 freighters, no seniority system and lengthy 'training' and I think we'll be in for an interesting time :hmm:

EFC_
14th Jul 2015, 01:16
I suppose I should have been more clear, but by connected I mainly meant being able to use the Internet to message or call family, friends et cetera. As well as giving them the ability to contact me if need be.

jrmyl
14th Jul 2015, 02:42
Look into the t-mobile international plan also. I don't personally have it but am flying with someone who does. He is on his phone all the time talking with his kids so it looks like it works.

EFC_
14th Jul 2015, 05:03
Look into the t-mobile international plan also. I don't personally have it but am flying with someone who does. He is on his phone all the time talking with his kids so it looks like it works.

I am definitely going for t-mobile after I graduate to the line. The caveat to their global plan is that half of the usage every month must occur in the US.

The Dominican
14th Jul 2015, 06:42
It's almost a foregone conclusion that, eventually, we'll switch to the 787 but when is anybody's guess

It is???

The 767 on it's freighter version will be around at least for another decade.

Macmoo
14th Jul 2015, 15:59
Thanks for the gen Fratemate/The Dominican,

That 787 would sound like a good gig, if ever. Nonetheless I'm happy whether it's a 767, 707 or shoebox with a ruler taped on as long as it flies and I get my days off :8.

It's also good to see not so many negative posts on this forum as opposed to most other Asian airline forums. Seems AJX is the way to go morale-wise.

Mac.

jayceehi
14th Jul 2015, 21:29
Tmobile plan is great...
Unlimited text and Data anywhere....Call's .20 cents/minute...
Never use the calling part but the data and text is a godsend....
Anchorage is a bit 'different' but as long as you're there one day at a time, you're generally okay...They 'data share' there with GCI and there is a limit on that..No problems for text but if you use a lot of data you can run out there.
Cheers

DIESELENGINE
17th Jul 2015, 13:22
Really hope AirJapan will be smart enough to stay out of the whole "airbus" scam.

How come?

From strictly pilot's perspective after over 2000 hours on airbus - all I can say about that thing - that laptop with wings was invented to reduced earth's population :cool:

In short, if you're a pilot - airbus will make your living miserable and will kill everything you enjoyed about aviation and flying.

bringbackthe80s
18th Jul 2015, 08:39
Oh dear:ugh:

Expressions
18th Jul 2015, 09:13
I see a lot of hatred towards Airbus. I do not know why so much polarisation of Boeing vs Airbus. Frankly, I find all are same. They all fly the way you ant them to fly and require the same flying skills and application of knowledge. The old aeroplane pilots of 1940s and 50s were snobbish about their flying skills vis a vis the later day modern Boeing jets with plenty of automation. So the story repeats itself. What is so great about flying a Boeing as compared to Airbus? I also flew the rugged fighter jets of RUssian Origin, the Western jets, Turbo props and now Flying Airbus330. One in a while I jump in to a small aircraft PA 44 or P 68. Each has its own characteristics and skill levels in normal and adverse condition. I find it total mental block to take sides. Happy Landings.

DIESELENGINE
18th Jul 2015, 16:51
Expressions,

. Don't wanna chase this rabbit to far down the trail, though I gotta admit it is pretty tempting, I just love comparing airbus to other aircraft.

FUN FACT: did you know that airbus is the only airplane manufacturer who's design philosophy created mayday scenarios out of thin air, when otherwise airplane itself was structurally and mechanically sound and who's philosophy was a direct cause or a major contributing factor to deaths of hundreds of people? But the best part is that airbus meanwhile vehemently continues to blame pilots for everything. (I know other manufactures have done that, but boy, airbus takes it to the whole another level.

They even go as far as to ruin lives of their own test pilots just to keep their dumb philosophy in. Its like dudes, c'mon, the wheel has already been invented, what a heck are you doing??!! its not working!! stop killing people!!!
A320 first flew in 1987 and they still haven't figured out how to make it a finished product? They keep pupping out with those OEB's and keep rewriting and inflating FCOMs like there is no tomorrow! (OEB's are basically quick patch-ups for their dumb philosophy) 1987 man!! How much time do they need?!?! When will this stop? "A321,319,350,330,NEO? Airbus! stop it, just finish A320 for crying out loud!"

I mean I understand they would have to pretty much do a complete 180, but aren't people's lives more important???

Anyways hope I didn't hurt anybody's fellings, I'm gonna drop this subject, I really think we should keep this thread to its original purpose.

But hey for those who maybe interested, here is video that just touches on some of the airbus' philosophy issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ5Ht_mhdrI

P.S.
Airbus' pilots lives are so empty and grey that they are actually looking forward towards dying because it will give them something to do! :uhoh: True story!

Don Quixote
19th Jul 2015, 11:18
DE

I don't work for Air Japan but I frequent this thread as a matter of interest. It has been running for many years. I have read most of the thread and in that time I don't recall many instances of "thread drift" or useless drivel been added to to it.

In 2 posts you have managed both ... you deserve nothing but to be told where to go ... this thread deserves better ...

Capt Coco
19th Jul 2015, 14:38
Hey Compadre who were the couple of Aussies that left just after they got checked to line recently?? Honest question just out of curiosity. PM me if you don't want to post on the forum.

I heard of the American F/O who left 1 months after training back in March/April, and the 2 American Captains that are leaving (one this month and one in September). Good luck them, both really nice guys it's a pity they are leaving.

But I must have been on leave when a couple of aussies left recently....and where did they leave to??? It's not that great at Tiger and Jetstar?!?!?!

And is it true (AGAIN) only 2 out of the 5 F/O's that just went through the Command evaluation are starting command training next month!?!?!?!?

And is it true only one of the two guys going for their command check a couple of days ago passed their JCAB check ride?!?!?! Who was it TL or LS??

I don't know how we are going to keep the numbers even if we continue to only upgrade a couple of guys every few months while we recruit up to 50 F/O's a year?!?!?!

Fratemate
19th Jul 2015, 16:23
In 2 posts you have managed both ... you deserve nothing but to be told where to go ... this thread deserves better

Yep, got to agree with that. This really is not the soap box for aircraft prejudices. Go elsewhere in PPrune for the never-ending A v B tedium :rolleyes:

I heard of the American F/O who left 1 months after training back in March/April, and the 2 American Captains that are leaving (one this month and one in September). Good luck them, both really nice guys it's a pity they are leaving.

Good guys and a real shame they're off. I hope their new jobs work out well for them.

And is it true (AGAIN) only 2 out of the 5 F/O's that just went through the Command evaluation are starting command training next month!?!?!?!?

Yes, that's true. A couple of non-surprises and a couple of surprises (IMHO).

And is it true only one of the two guys going for their command check a couple of days ago passed their JCAB check ride?!?!?! Who was it TL or LS??

TL passed but LS did not. I have yet to hear the story but there has to be something more to it as LS is a top bloke.

I don't know how we are going to keep the numbers even if we continue to only upgrade a couple of guys every few months while we recruit up to 50 F/O's a year?!?!?!

Even if we count all the pilots going through training at the moment we still have 125 captains to 110 FOs, so there's no desperate need for loads of upgrades. Of course this ratio will change but I can't foresee a requirement to pass everybody on their upgrade assessments any time soon.

Capt Coco
19th Jul 2015, 19:38
G'day Frate,

If you confirming that only two out of the last five F/O's got through and are starting command training next month, then I think a couple of really good guys who are ready for command have been hard done by, in my opinion!! But then again I have only flown with them a number of times over the last 3 or 4 years and never did the one of assessment flights as the checkers would have done!!

Ok so Tim got through but Larry missed out hey.......I'm really surprised I thought they would have both passed no worries. I hope the company backs Larry up and that he gets another go real soon. I'm sure it was a miner little thing and if they rebook him a check soon with the usual retraining etc....he will pass.

I agree the numbers as you mentioned 125 Capt, 110 F/O at the moment are not desperate. But to keep the numbers at this level, if we recruit 50 F/O's a year you need to upgrade 25 F/O's to Capt to keep the numbers at the same level.

The Dominican
20th Jul 2015, 01:40
The developing trend seems to be that half the folks that go through the evaluation process will actually start command training.....!

I too I'm surprised at some of the names that didn't make it (others not so much) but the hiring trend a few years back when they started hiring guys with experience levels way lower than they had in the past, coupled with the accelerated training schedule having classes every other month has created a situation where we are seeing pilots being evaluated for command at the three year mark and many of those guys hired three or four years ago were not going to be ready.

The bad thing is that moral is affected, people that maybe shouldn't have been put up for evaluation are made go through the process knowing very well that they are going to be shot down at the gates...! Maybe a different schedule for upgrade evaluations is in order?

JammedStab
20th Jul 2015, 09:57
In a thread this long it has probably already been asked but.........can you request your days off at the end of one month and then attach that to the next months days off(by having them at the beginning of the next month in order to work for as long as possible and have as many days off in a row.

The Dominican
20th Jul 2015, 11:07
Yes it has...., and yes you can...!

Most people that try it don't really do it long term, you get tired at both ends...! Too many days at home and your better half inevitably will get into the naggin stage towards the end of it.

And almost 6 weeks on duty gets way too long as well..., you find yourself just keeping a nose up attitude and waiting for the runway to come to you.., no more flare nor caring after 5 weeks or so.

Once a year to get your vacation it's alright and I think many do just that....., I don't think people stick with it long term.

IZAD
31st Jul 2015, 15:17
For those of you who have ever worked in Nihon land, will find these threads above rather disturbing. I personally served ANA back in the 1990's based in SYD Australia, perhaps the best job I ever had, flying B747 across the Pacific Rim.

I see now this Air Japan culture of American losers, and therefore the Japanese revenge of treating them like slaves. Who wants to work for such a louse outfit when in essence you are being repelled by their own Japanese Social Sytem?

Sumimasenga, kore wa nijo hi taisetsu desk ne?

Wake up fellas, look across the Yellow Sea and get a stable well paid job, you are wasting your time flying old iron 767-300's for a culture of Japanese pilots who will never love you, maybe you will be spared when Mr.Abe decides to start aggression with China and have Japan succumb for the second time under a relentless war that will decimate this chauvinistic society of nomads that being watched by resentful families of comfort women in Korea, and an angry mob of Chinese military that will have no mercy of Nihon after the massacre of Nanjing.

Pilots worry about petty matters, grow up and remember history, as forgetting the past is only an antithesis to repeat the same mistakes, and you will not be spared.:=

Fratemate
31st Jul 2015, 15:24
Go away you trolling prat.

tokyojohn
31st Jul 2015, 17:14
How long does one usually wait for Parc to call after applying?

The Dominican
31st Jul 2015, 19:53
Don't post when you are high.....!

Feather44
31st Jul 2015, 20:08
How long does one usually wait for Parc to call after APPLYING?
Provided you meet the requirements, I would say less than a week.

Don't post when you are high.....!
Yep, weed doesn't look good any more in Togo...

TyRod
7th Aug 2015, 19:48
Hey guys,

Looking for some informations on the guys (experience) recruited the past 2 years.

I have 3000 hours TT at the moment ( 2000 hours on heavy turboprop, 500 hours on 37CL) and I was wondering if some guys with such "low experience" have been selected lately or if the airline has so much choice that they do not bother inviting guys with the minimums.

Anybody has any idea for how long the recruitment process will be on.

I do not know if that helps, but I have intermediate knowledge when it comes to speak japanese.

Thanks