PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

oldhasbeen
12th Jan 2010, 02:38
Africa for 9 months..... certainly get the blood tested then!:eek:

Fratemate
13th Jan 2010, 02:07
Africa 9 months isn't a problem; Bangkok, 9 minutes might be. Okay, okay, 9 seconds :}

fourgolds
13th Jan 2010, 05:35
Hi Guys

I see the recruitment agencies are still advertising for capt and f/o.
Just wandering with the pending staff cuts at JAL ( CNN says a number of staff) if anyone has any idea if this will affect recruitment.
I know JAL and ANA are different companies , however thats not my concern. I am worried about Japanese pilots being made redundant. It would be very hard for a Japanese company to justify expats if there are Japanese without work. Any thoughts , corrections ?

Thanks , paperwork is in the pipeline.

Fratemate
13th Jan 2010, 11:32
It's impossible to say anything definite. After all, who can imagine any other country where the aviation authority interferes so much with how an airline actually conducts its business, rather than sticking to its job of looking after safety. Add that to the government sticking its nose into every aspect of a private company and you can see it's pretty difficult saying something will or won't happen.

However, the rumour mill has two optimistic predictions. One is the ANA pilots union's dislike of all things JAL. It has been said that they would much rather have western pilots flying ANA aircraft than the Japanese pilots of JAL. This is third hand but allegedly from a very experienced Japanese ANA pilot, with a finger in the union pie. Who knows how true or false but this is a rumour network!

The second offering is that AJV still requires another 80 pilots. We've got another 2 aircraft arriving this year and then the final one of 11 arrives early next year. Couple that with HND's runway expansion, ANA's increase in slots at both NRT and HND and the (at last) arrival of the 787 at the end of the year (with ANA mainline pilots disappearing off onto that, leaving a mini-vacuum on the 767) and you've certainly got potential to see the continued requirement for AJV pilots.

I'm quietly confident (okay, not even that quietly) that things will continue as they are and AJV will keep recruiting. Sure, things are going to change a little with the combining of AJV/AJX but intially this will be mainly management personnel and will not affect the pilots too much. Eventually this will go the way our employers wish it to but, fingers crossed, the figures will have continued to go up and we'll all be happy bunnies again, just more efficient as a result of the recession.

luahh
20th Jan 2010, 10:40
Pray for Jal so they get out of the deep **** fellas because if they let them fail we won't see round eyes flying in Japan no more. It is not a matter of ANA liking Jal' pilots or not, it is simply common sense, there is no way to justify gaijins taking these positions while hundreds of J's are in the street.

etops777
20th Jan 2010, 11:07
BTW, these jobs are not for ANA per se. It's the subsidiary companies form by ANA.

bumba
20th Jan 2010, 11:33
It's not easy to identify the numerous reasons for an Airline bankruptcy in our own countries (where suspensively we know the economic scenarios, management, background, strategic investments... etc), let alone try to predict what will be the future for the a big Airline like JAL and their pilots ... crossing the fingers JAL will keep them all!

... but looking at the global scenario an easy question came out ... in the same country how can a Major file for bankruptcy and other Companies/Majors in the same country constantly increase their fleet, pilots pool, revenue ... etc?

crj705
20th Jan 2010, 16:22
One had piss poor management and the other one did not. There was a quote in one of the newspapers today from a retired JAL pilot. It was something like "If I had a gun I would find all of the CEOs from the last 20 years and shoot them in the head."

JAL originated as a state carrier and when they were privatized, neither JAL management or the government really understood what that meant. So JAL spent money like it was going out of style buying everything from golf courses to laundry companies, and the government "encouraged" them to fly to places that didn't make financial sense.

ANA on the other hand never was a state owned company and has tried to run a business that made financial sense.

deisel8
21st Jan 2010, 07:52
As there would be those that believe anything management would tell you as a contractor, there may be as many as 1000 very experienced local airline pilots out of work for a very long time that could probably create an interesting time for the contractors.
Your issues for continued employment may include paying some tax bill that gets deliveried to you as you get off a flight for the time flying Japanese aircraft generating income, or some other government action which you will probably see just as amusing to your continual flying in Japan.
These unemployed professional Japanese airline pilots will make things financially interesting for those whom do not hold a Japanese passport and paying their taxes.

dragop
21st Jan 2010, 11:50
For whatever its worth. The Japanese papers are reporting that bankruptcy does not give an employer the right to terminate employment contracts with employees. If this is true, then it is unlikely any Japanese non-contract employees will find themselves involuntarily out of work.

If that indeed is the case in this situation, I would assume that anybody that leaves JAL will do so voluntarily and with a nice separation package. I would also assume that there will be very little political or social pressure to ensure that these people are integrated into another airline such as ANA, after leaving JAL voluntarily with a nice chunk of change that has indirectly come from the government coffers.

Generally speaking, I would be surprised if too many pilots who are not nearing retirement age would be interested in accepting such an offer....

All that to say.... I wouldnt expect a long line of furloughed Japanese pilots from JAL looking for work just yet....

The Dominican
21st Jan 2010, 13:35
Whom truely has the right of employment ?

To answer your question as to "Who has the right to work?" The JAPANESE pilots do, there is no question about it and there are no pilots working here that think otherwise.

As there would be those that believe anything management would tell you as a contractor,

To this comment I have to say that there are no inexperienced pilots here, even our F/O's have over 8,000 hours and the vast majority have been in the furlough marry go round a few times and all of us have been dealing with airline manegements for decades now, to say that we believe blindly whatever the contract company says, forgive my bluntness is just plain stupid. Congratulations on your first post on your new PPRUNE handle there Diesel8 but we all recognize the rhetoric, you can just post it under your usual handle.:{

For whatever its worth. The Japanese papers are reporting that bankruptcy does not give an employer the right to terminate employment contracts with employees. If this is true, then it is unlikely any Japanese non-contract employees will find themselves involuntarily out of work.

If that indeed is the case in this situation, I would assume that anybody that leaves JAL will do so voluntarily and with a nice separation package. I would also assume that there will be very little political or social pressure to ensure that these people are integrated into another airline such as ANA, after leaving JAL voluntarily with a nice chunk of change that has indirectly come from the government coffers.

Generally speaking, I would be surprised if too many pilots who are not nearing retirement age would be interested in accepting such an offer....

All that to say.... I wouldnt expect a long line of furloughed Japanese pilots from JAL looking for work just yet....

Could the political situation turn against us continuing to work here in Japan? absolutely, it can. We just don't know how the restructuring of JAL and the market conditions will be here in Japan in the next year or so, this bailout of JAL (the last of many throughout the years) looks to be different than all others because in the past they just injected money into JAL but the politics remained the same, this time around with a new government and an outsider just named as the new CEO (very capable and accomplished businessman BTW) we simply cannot say that they won't furlough pilots just because they haven't in the past, we simply don't know how this will play out. As Frate's post illustrated the relationship between the JAL and ANA pilots is not good at all and for years the JAL pilots looked at other airline pilots here in Japan as the non professionals that couldn't get a job in Japans real airline, now that ANA is positioned to become the premier airline in Asia, this comments haven't been forgotten and I see it very difficult to see any integration of JAL pilots into the line at ANA unless they start from year one in the academy at the bottom of the pile, I see the young JAL pilots going for that but the senior guys? I just don't see them exposing themselves to the harsh treatment that they will receive. Now, I do see the possibility of the political situation and government pressures mostly by the Department of labor and the Tax revenue service (not so much the JCAB) of an agreement to offer contract positions to displaced JAL pilots but we will just have to wait and see.

Current state at ANA:

ANA continues with a very aggressive expansion plan and as many of you know they just reinstated an order for additional 777's and 767's the 767 order was specially interesting because they had decided a while back not to get any more and they had changed their 767 options for 787's but they went ahead and placed a new order for 767's and as they have expressed to us, the 767's will remain a viable platform for their operations for years to come. As contract pilots we realize that our employment is based on their needs and not based on personal relationships or even political environment. ANA is still on a deficit of pilots with the attrition of 100 pilots a year and the hiring of only about 50-60 new recruits per year, and this is just attrition, it does not include the new frames that are coming in the next few years. The preliminary information was that they would reduced the hiring for 2010 and see their needs after the reintegration of AJV/AJX but the news that we are getting now is that they will still need to keep hiring throughout 2010, The January class will be the last separate class for both companies and the March class will be a combined class for the new company, the integration will be completed by fall of 2010. As long as this contract will last, a month or a decade. I think I speak for the majority here, we will continue to enjoy a great gig and a great working environment and I for one will gladly release my seat in a month or in a decade to the Japanese national to which this seat really should belong to, when that day comes (again, in a month or in a decade) I will leave the company with a sense of gratitude and I will wish them well, because I think that ANA is a great organization with great professionals and they deserve their time as Asia's premier airline because they have worked hard for it. :D

bumba
21st Jan 2010, 15:00
wow Dom ... you are one heck of a motivational speaker!:ok:

meguro
22nd Jan 2010, 06:30
Great post by the Dominican, especially usefull to applicants considering coming here. I agree, it's a great gig and I also recognised the Chameleon!
If ANA takes JAL people, I would hate to see incidents like the nose wheel being shattered on a 767 at Haneda.

In AJV we are saying goodbye to one of our local pilots, we wish him well and safe return to ANA! :D

Fratemate
22nd Jan 2010, 07:38
Who's that Meguro? I'm obviously out of the loop and haven't heard the latest. PLEASE tell me it begins with an 'N', ends in an 'A' and he's handy with the thrust levers on FOs' approaches :rolleyes:

etops777
23rd Jan 2010, 17:23
You will not be flying for the Mainline (ANA). This job is for the sister companies of ANA, therefore shouldn't we addressed it as Air japan or Japan Air express.

maybe!
24th Jan 2010, 10:55
Wow Dominican are you sucking up for a training position?

bumba
24th Jan 2010, 13:16
... I think Dom is just trying to help whoever is interested in joining ANA!

The Dominican
24th Jan 2010, 15:45
Wow Dominican are you sucking up for a training position?

Why? is it really that difficult for you to accept that I am well aware of the politics and the transient nature of contract flying? Or that I don't have a sense of entitlement to a Job here in Japan? Would it be difficult for you to accept that I was involved with pilot training for so many years in the past that I'm really not interested in a position as an RTC? Is it really so difficult to believe that if this position would no longer be available to me in the future, I wouldn't speak ill of the company just because I don't think they deserve to be spoken ill off?

No? then I submit to you the Air Nippon (737 contract with ANA) pilot group as a rebuttal, that entire pilot group has been given notice that their contracts will not be renewed and all of them will have to look for new employment, I'm happy to say that they are being offered interviews here at AJV/AJX contracts and a couple of them are scheduled to start training in March. Now I challenge you to find a single post in this or any other pilot forum from any of those pilots speaking negatively of ANA or blaming the Japanese pilot's union as you saw with the JAL debacle.

I'm happy to say that there are pilots in this business that do not think like you, I'm certainly one of them

etops777
24th Jan 2010, 22:26
then I submit to you the Air Nippon (737 contract with ANA)

Air Nippon is not ANA..

ANA(Mainline)= All Nippon Airlines.

Air Nippon is not ANA(All Nippon Airlines)

Talon757
24th Jan 2010, 22:38
It is, however, a subsidiary.

The company was founded by ANA, Japan Airlines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Airlines) and TOA Domestic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOA_Domestic) as Nippon Kinkyori Kōkū (日本近距離航空? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Installing_Japanese_character_sets), lit. Japan Short-Distance Airline) in March 1974 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1974) and started operations on 10 October 1974. The name Air Nippon was adopted in 1987 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987), and the abbreviation ANK comes from the full, somewhat redundant name Air Nippon Kabushiki kaisha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabushiki_kaisha) (lit. Air Nippon joint stock corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Joint_stock_corporation&action=edit&redlink=1).).[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]
As part of ANA's reorganisation, Air Nippon's domestic operations are being consolidated into the main airline. ANA and Air Nippon used different liveries and IATA codes on domestic flights until April 2004, when Air Nippon adopted ANA livery and ANA flight numbers. As an ANA subsidiary, it is considered a full Star Alliance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Alliance) member. However, on Republic of China (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_China) flights before April 2008, Air Nippon's IATA code EL was still used due to political reasons and these flights are not considered being Star Alliance flights.[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]

(From Wikipedia)

The Dominican
24th Jan 2010, 23:37
Air Nippon is not ANA..

ANA(Mainline)= All Nippon Airlines.

Air Nippon is not ANA(All Nippon Airlines) :confused:

Listen ETOPS777

It detracts from the ability to make your point when you don't even know how the company is called. There is no All Nippon Airlines, the name of the company is All Nippon Airways. The ANA group is composed by 8 subsidiaries and Air Nippon is one of them operating the 737 with contract pilots, The contract pilots (we) don't work for neither ANA nor their subsidiaries, we work for the contract companies which is who we have our contracts with and they are the ones that actually pay our salary. You don't even know what you are talking about and you are pretending to teach us about our job and the condition of our employment?:=

I tell you what, we won't interrupt your relentless pursuit to master the obvious if you don't try to teach us the name of our company and the condition of our employment, deal?:rolleyes:

maybe!
25th Jan 2010, 01:30
Wow Dominican you sound like a stressed/uptight individual, airways/airlines who
cares? But please dont go into the office singing what a great company it is to the Js, Because i can assure you thats not how we won the business class travel , :ok:

ishi59
25th Jan 2010, 03:22
Maybe you are correct.

The way this job got like it is was by applying pressure for the improvements and resisting, as much as possible, some of the unpleasant moves.

Let's keep that pressure up, shall we!

etops777
25th Jan 2010, 04:45
Dominican boy..now you listen

Have I ever in my posts trying to describe about the job itself? or was I ever trying to implied that I have the in depth knowledge about the company or the job??

Of course I know that you are under an agency and of course that you are not paid by the Airlines itself. Big deal about airlines or airways..WOW:rolleyes:

The facts is that you are under the contract to fly for its sister companies and not ANA itself...and THAT IS THE FACTS.

now go chill out...dude:yuk:

luahh
25th Jan 2010, 11:35
" It had been known earlier that JAL planned to cut 15,700 jobs by the end of fiscal 2012. The latest revelation shows that 95 percent of the planned cut will be implemented within fiscal 2010. According to the plan, JAL will cut its cockpit crew by 13 percent from the current 4,180 to 3,650, and its flight attendants by 14 percent from the current 9,440 to 8,120"
You are right Ishi, it is maybe the right time to put some pressure on it... be careful you don't get kicked in the assu onegaishimasu....

The Dominican
25th Jan 2010, 13:15
The way this job got like it is was by applying pressure for the improvements and resisting, as much as possible, some of the unpleasant moves.

Let's keep that pressure up, shall we!

I have always expressed my gratitude to you Ishi and to all other trailblazers that actually did the ground work for this contract to become what it is today because I realize that it wasn't this at the beginning and you where one that actually flew and actually worked to get rid off those fatigue plagued pairings, I do believe however that the JAL factor will insert influence that we haven't seen before in this contract not because JAL hasn't been in trouble before but because of the nature of the restructuring. My point is that we are not entitled to employment in Japan and our employment has been and always will be considered based on staffing numbers and only on staffing numbers, if it comes a point that they will be sufficiently staffed with nationals, there won't be a justification for our employment and time served or personal relationships, likability factors won't be the factors that they will use to make their decision about our continued employment, I'm sure that the ANK group also inserted pressure to have their pairings improved and I'm sure that they had influential individuals that have management's ear such as yourself within their pilot group but regardless their contracts will be cancelled non withstanding the pressure that they where able to insert. I don't expect that this will happen but it is a reality that all of us that work here, senior or not should understand and be ready for

bumba
27th Jan 2010, 06:26
Hey Guys

you are doing an outstanding job ... please do not stop right now! Thanks

zeniku
27th Jan 2010, 09:01
Gents, not that it really matters but, to set things straight.

ANK contracts were not cancelled. They were 42 month contracts that have expired and whilst both ANK management and, surprisingly, Union were very keen for the current contractors to be renewed this was not acceptable to the head shed. There has been speculation that the non renewal was to do with an agreement with another Union. In any case the contractors were brought in to assist with crew levels on the -500 while the local guys transitioned to the
NG; we new pretty well from the start that a renewal was unlikely despite lobbying from our bosses.

Those of us who were in good standing with the company were actively backed by management in gaining interviews with AJV of which my self and another are presently on course and bloody happy to stay under the blue banner as well.

737lpa
13th Feb 2010, 19:55
testing 1,2,3,

737lpa
13th Feb 2010, 20:10
For the guys already working at AVJ

I´m considering leaving RYR for a more exciting contract after 6 years dealing with an ever increasing glamourless operation like the one we suffer at RYR.

My application for DEC has been acepted by Parc and I have a few questions before going any further. I have read the whole thread but I haven´t found answers to these...

1) Is it safe to say that most people take the C class ticket instead of the 2 grand to commute home every month? I can´t see myself commuting to Spain for that kind of money on business class...

2) Do your wife/kids have any benefits in terms of free rides (ZED, ID´s, etc..)? Considering that I´m only willing to take business class to Japan from Spain, is there such a thing as a ZED Bussiness rate?

3) My conditions mention "short working months"... is that a bluff or is it reasonable to believe that you might get them from time to time?

4) If succesful at the screening, is the training (ATPL, Type, Line training..) hard to achieve or most people get it done? Are there cases where people fail after starting the training and loose the job?

5) Considering that the only expense from our side once on the line would be to cover Tokyo accomodation, how many days are u expected to remain in Tokyo off duty and therefore liable to pay for it? Where do u stay and for how much?

Thanks a lot.

I´m so excited about getting water and food while on duty....:E

crj705
14th Feb 2010, 02:34
1. Half and half. Depends on where you commute from and your tolerance for economy class travel. I take the $2000 because I don't have a far commute and usually can get tickets for $600.

2. Only Y class Zeds. Mostly on Star Alliance carriers with a few exceptions. You, spouse and dependents get them.

3. At the moment we are over staffed so short work months are easy to get from time to time. That is subject to change and the only guarantee you will get one is if you work a part time contract. Those typically are not available until after you complete your first contract.

4. Training is not the easiest in the world. What makes it different is the length and the style. It can take as many as 9 or 10 months to check to the line in some cases. Also, you have to remember that this is Japan. If you do things their way and don't argue then it is not so bad. If you have to ask a lot of questions, especially the "why" question, then it will not be a pleasant experience. Yes, there are cases where people do not pass training and lose their jobs. However, if you have patience and humility, then it should be no problem in my opinion.

5. The amount you are in Narita varies a lot from month to month. You are paid an accommodation allowance that will cover the costs of a hotel or you can try to find an apartment. About half stay in the hotels and half stay in the apartments.

737lpa
14th Feb 2010, 03:13
Thanks a lot CRJ

I have to say that between u, Fratemate, el Dominicano and a few others, it makes this difficult decision a lot easier.

They are already giving me some stress about the logbooks which I admitt I haven´t kept to date for years.....

The other thing is the medical. I´ve never had a problem with my first class but I´m a bit afraid after reading some posts here.

We will see.

In any case, and just by reading these posts, I feel that if I´m lucky enough to pass the screening and survive the 10 month training, it looks like a decent job and a good contract to fight for.

RGRDS

Lear70
14th Feb 2010, 07:20
I had the same problem, haven't kept a master logbook in years, and stopped keeping a red crew log about 5 years ago, just printed up my line from the company computers at the end of every month to keep a running total on my flight time.

The problem is that doesn't account for night or IMC time or actual instrument approaches shot. At 9,000 hours, I really don't give a flying rat fart, but obviously they do, so I had to guestimate it as best I could in my master log with one line entry for each year.

They said I was successful in my application, but ranked your class entry by how well you did in the sim. Unfortunately for me, ATA went out of business at almost exactly the same time, so a bunch of current and qualified 757/767 people interviewed right after me and, of course, did better in the sim, being rated in the aircraft and currently flying it. So I never was placed for class, and my application packet purged after a year. :ugh:

As far as the American Medical? It's a freaking joke. Always has been, anywhere in the world. Not even nearly as thorough as a standard yearly doctor checkup for a non-pilot, much less screening for someone with our responsibilities.

However, the JCAB medical was a non-event for me, if a little lengthy. The only thing I have is borderline-high cholesterol levels because I like my cream in my coffee every morning and my steaks and ribs on a regular basis. I'm 5' 11" and 170 pounds and run and work out 5 days a week, so the BMI wasn't a problem, but my cholesterol never goes below 200 and stays closer to 230. Even so, I still passed. If you're in halfway decent shape, don't sweat the medical. If your BMI is bad, well... :bored:

Question for the others who are there: If they're overstaffed, why another recruiting drive?

Fratemate
14th Feb 2010, 07:52
G'day LPA,

1. If you're commuting to Spain you'd be absolutely mad to do anything else but take the C class tickets. With that length of commute you'd soon burn out with ZEDs and economy seats, so don't sweat it. Take the decent seat, collect the miles and don't worry about the $2000 you never saw.

2. See CRJ's reply.

3. Seeing as AJX aren't hiring at the moment, if successful you'd be flying for AJV. AJX may have a few extra pilots but that's not the case on the freight side and I've certainly not heard of any of our guys getting 'short months' (apart from the > 60s who are required to fly fewer hours). Plan on having 11 days off per month (AJV) and the ability to add your 2 vacation days and you won't be disappointed. Plan on getting part-time and you will be.

4. See CRJ's reply and delete 'why' from your brain.

5. You get $550 accommodation allowance per month. This is used to pay your hotel bill when in NRT and not on standby. All downroute hotel rates are taken care of by the Company. You get $50 refunded to your salary for each standby day. AJX spend more time in NRT than AJV but I don't think that will be a factor for you. I think an average month would see you paying for 6-7 nights in the Excel or Garden Hotels (most people stay at the Excel) at a rate of JPY5775 per night.

Sort your logbook out before you come. JCAB are quite fussy when it comes to the niff naff and trivia (never mind the big picture) and, as a result, the Company are too. Huge piles of shame will be heaped upon AJV by JCAB if a pilot's logbook is found wanting, so they ensure this doesn't happen by making sure you're squared off before you come.

PS: Hurry your application if possible. Rumour control suggests the total number of pilots in AJX + AJV is reaching critical mass and judicious cross-pollination would mean no more pilots required. Just mumbled rumours but I wouldn't hang about.

Okay, enough of this, I'm off to the pub......

jedy
14th Feb 2010, 10:41
737lpa

You forgot to ask if they give you food and water during the flight.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

crj705
14th Feb 2010, 14:39
Maybe my use of overstaffed is not quite accurate. Short work months have been available for the last for months for a few guys. However, with swapping HNL for BKK and adding TAO and probably SGN in July, we will very quickly be short again.

Rumor control from the X side has been saying that the long term plan is for us to do all of the 767 flying from NRT and the ANA boys will pick up the new HND international flying. To be absolutely honest, I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen in the next few months.....even the Japanese management.

But, I think they are planning on expansion and since it takes about 9 months to get guys from indoc to the line, you have to start early. That's my take on it at least.

I had 2 dinners tonight :D

Reepicheep
14th Feb 2010, 20:15
I have a question on the vision test portion of the medical.....I can make 20/20 when I get my 1st Class FAA medical where they use the little circles with the break and you have to tell whether the break is on the top, the bottom, right, left. At the eye doctor though where he uses the chart with letters it's tough; I can barely see 20/20 and it's more like 20/25 in reality. This is all with lenses in, btw. Uncorrected I'm around 20/30. Just wondering if something like this would shoot me down.

crj705
15th Feb 2010, 02:35
We use the little circles here. I have the same problem. With letters, I can barely make 20/20. I am really more like 20/25 or 20/30. But here with the little circles I can make 20/20 easily and usually 20/15.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

mysci
15th Feb 2010, 09:40
For you guys already flying for AJV;
What's a typical roster:
-When you go out flying, how many days you stay out of TYO?
-How long are rest periods during layovers?
-When back to TYO, how many days off in a row?
-How many legs a day? Short, long legs?
Thanks a lot everybody.

737lpa
15th Feb 2010, 10:48
Thanks Fratemate,

The problem with my JAR logbook is that I haven´t logged x-country time or night time in the past 15 years.

My hope is that they will consider my airline time as x-country time?¿?¿

I´m trying to hurry my application, however I´m presently employed and I mentioned my requirement to give 3 months to RYR, something I can´t avoid doing especially with the summer season coming up.. (I don´t want to slam the door on those Irish man... u never know when you might need them again). I really hope that, if succesful, they respect that because otherwise I will not accept the job on short notice :{

In regards to the tickets, I can´t see myself commuting from Gran Canaria (not just Spain) in anything other than a C class confirmed ticket, so I already discounted the 2 grand from my expected salary.

Anyway, I´m excited about this challenge (detailed logbooks, tough medical, long training, japanese ways, etc...). I´ll try my best and we will see..

I hope they don´t mind that my background is low-cost. After 6 years in RYR I must go back to some basic understanding of aviation etiquette like not showing up in the crewroom with a bottle of water, have some decent shoes, shave in the morning, not fly sick because I don´t get paid for it, and all of those beauties that I miss....

Thanks for the insider notes!!

RGRDS

Talon757
15th Feb 2010, 15:29
My hope is that they will consider my airline time as x-country time?¿?¿

I'm afraid that's not the case. For my application to be accepted I had to wade through 26 years of logbook (USAF included) and fill in the X-Country time. It will need to be broken down into PIC, Solo, Night PIC, and Other just as requested on the Aeronautical Experience form. There's really no leeway in the requested format. I sorted out the PIC and SIC X-Country in my log and then figured out the rest for the Aeronautical Experience form. An electronic logbook is a GREAT help in doing that.

As long as you're going to have to wander through all those logbook entries anyway, it's probably not a bad plan to get a good electronic logbook and transfer the data. That will automatically take care of any math errors along the way. It will also make a nice clean presentation for the JCAB folks when they look at your book.

737lpa
15th Feb 2010, 22:29
I see...

However my understanding is that I only have to show 100 night time, and 250 x-country (besides the 6000TT and 3000 PIC on B738).

That I have in very old logbooks as it was also a requirement for the FAA ATPL.

What I haven´t broken down any longer is airline time, as its all x-country time, and I haven´t separated day or night.

I hope they don´t expect me to break down 5500 hours of B737 time between day and night because that would mean that I would have to check the sunrise and sunset time for everyday in the past 8 years.:ugh:

Anyway, we will see.

RGRDS

Fratemate
15th Feb 2010, 23:23
I hope they don´t expect me to break down 5500 hours of B737 time between day and night because that would mean that I would have to check the sunrise and sunset time for everyday in the past 8 years.:ugh:
I find it very strange that you have made no distinction between day and night flying. In all of my logbooks, including JAR, there has been a separate column for the two and I've used them appropriately. The cross country is a nonsense and we know that. Likewise, the instrument flying is just daft, but separating night and day flying is quite normal and, to be honest, you're the first person I've ever heard of who hasn't done so.

As far as cross country is concerned, I basically took out all the circuit bashing flights I'd done and everything else is cross country. I can't remember the limit to be deemed cross country but it's something silly, like 7km, so all airline flying is cross country (apart from base training). Luckily, I'd always chucked some numbers in the IF column, so was able to fill that box in easily but I know 99% of airline pilots don't usually record that info....until you get to Japan. But, as for night/day, you are going to have to get your finger out and develop a method for figuring it out. Don't worry though, it's only 5000 hours/1 year at RYR, so it could have been worse :}

Good luck. It is worth it if you make the effort and you get all the water you could ever wish for.....and noodles :ok:

Fratemate
15th Feb 2010, 23:49
There is too much variation to give hard and fast rules about the roster questions. The trips seem to change month by month but, as a rough guide:

-When you go out flying, how many days you stay out of TYO?Very rarely you'll have a there-and-back trip. Usually you'll pack up and be gone for 4ish days. There are blocks that are longer and shorter but I think 4 is about average, away from NRT. Quite often you'll find yourself in KIX, rather than NRT and/or staying in OKA before going 'foreign' again. As an example of the variability, I've just done an overnight, the next night flown back to NRT via OKA, arriving in the early morning, therefore being away from NRT for 2 nights. An upcoming trip has me leaving NRT, working through HKG and KIX a fair bit and then returning to NRT 6 days later.

Dont' worry though, the beer will still be there when you get back.

-How long are rest periods during layovers?Vary between min rest (arrive HKG in the morning and leave that evening) to 36 hours ish. Usually there's enough time to go shopping (PVG), go for a rub down (BKK) or socialise with your mate (ALL).

-When back to TYO, how many days off in a row?Usually you'll only get one blank day but can still get 2.5 days in NRT. For instance, arrive early morning on Mon, blank day on Tue, leave NRT in the evening of Wed. However, you can arrive and leave at all sorts of times, so that blank day can be as little as 36 hours in NRT. You can, of course, be on standby and this is often added to a blank day. You're not 'off'' but you're in NRT for 48 hours+. Also, you can have no days off in NRT; arrive the morning of Mon and then leave on Tues morning. There's no rule that says they have to give you days off in between all trips, so long as you have the required days off in a month.

-How many legs a day? Short, long legs?Again, too many trips to put hard and fast rules. Sometimes you'll do one leg, even a short one like NRT-ICN. Sometimes that leg will be longer, NRT-BKK. However, with the developing network of OKA as our hub, a LOT of trips will now go via OKA, so most days (nights) will involve two legs, e.g. ICN-OKA-HND

737lpa
16th Feb 2010, 01:47
I find it very strange that you have made no distinction between day and night flying. In all of my logbooks, including JAR, there has been a separate column for the two and I've used them appropriately

I will try my best to adapt my logbook and most importantly to adapt to Japanese ways and customs and forget the "why" question, but, please, don´t make feel the "strange" one here := having to prove 100 hrs of night time and 200 of x-country after 6 years in RYR and 2 ATPL licences (JAR & FAA).

I respect the Japanese in their land and will abide by their rules, but I´ve discussed this matter with all my bodies and out of the few who keep their logbooks alive NONE of them separate x-country time or night flying for their airline years. Anyway I already started to figure it out and I should get there sometime by the end of the week...:sad: ...hopefully...

In other matters, and since you guys are already flying the line and have done nothing but help me since I posted about my intentions, I would like to let you know the latest from Parc in regards to this contract as I was updated today:

1.- No reason to pick AVJ or AVX anymore as, so they say, as we will be operating for both (PAX and CARGO) towards the end of the year.
2.- Starting in APRIL accomodation no longer paid for screening in Tokyo.
3.- No more 11 days off, but rather 10 plus annual leave if possible.
4.- If succesful at the screening (March), course will most likely be for Oct/Nov.
5.- Still looking for people with intentions to keep screening for the rest of the year.

RGRDS

Fratemate
16th Feb 2010, 05:44
Mate, what I'm trying to tell you is there's a difference between what Parc want to see, in order to forward your application, and what the Company wants to see before they put you into training for your ATPL. On day one you'll sit down and fill out a form with lots of different types of hours on it. They want to know what your day/night hours are, not that you've met the requirements to hold an ATPL. As an example of how retentive they can get; we had one FO who had flown for a major far-east airline on the 744. However, he could not prove he had the cross country flying in his logbook so was not put forward for his ATPL check. Instead he had to nip off and fly a Cessna around until he could prove he had the hours and is now back on course, a year worse off.

I also think the people you've spoken to regarding logging hours are in the minority, if they don't separate the two. A quick straw poll certainly indicates everyone here kept day and night hours separate, even before Japan and nobody, so far, has even seen a logbook where there's no capability to log them. Anyhow, it doesn't matter does it. You're sorting out your book and that's the important thing. Just be aware that they will check all the totals etc to ensure everything adds up, as, if they don't, JCAB has a hissy fit and the Company is then in the dwang.

Thanks for the latest from Parc. Things are s...l....o...w...l....y starting to happen with the merger etc, so we may get some solid news eventually, rather than the rumours doing the rounds at the moment. I do hope they keep recruiting and the muttering about having enough pilots between the 2 companies is not true.

MMmm, No.3 is not good news, if it happens. This has been a concern of mine for some time; that the terms and conditions will be brought down to AJX's, following the merger, rather than up to AJV's (11 days off). I'm pretty sure the AJVers of now will be able to argue successfully to maintain their contract but it doesn't look good for the new joiners. Let's hope the contract companies grow some and argue for AJV's conditions post merger for ALL pilots.

mysci
16th Feb 2010, 11:12
Thanks man,
looks like a good place to work...:ok:
especially for us fed up with lots of super-short legs ( as many as you can fit in a day) and long days...
Talk to you.
All the best...hope we can enjoy a "Sapporo" together...:)

737lpa
20th Feb 2010, 20:51
Hi 76ers´

Now that my interview is coming up in a few weeks I really need help with some very important TECHNICAL questions to be able to be as prepared as I can:

1.- How far is the closest bar from the hotel in NRT?

2.- How much does beer cost?

3.- Is there a dart board within 10 NM from the hotel?

4.- How friendly do cabin crew get with u guys?

5.- Out of those who get friendly how many are actual females?

As always thanks a lot for the info....:E

The Dominican
20th Feb 2010, 22:42
Y por que crees que nos gusta el trabajo? Aqui te esperamos:ok:

No male F/A's here:=

737lpa
21st Feb 2010, 01:10
Calla, calla.... Si mi mujer se entera de k sólo hay hembras me cancela la entrevista... :{

Let´s see how everything goes w/ the sim and all...

Don´t forget to report on the price of beer and walking distance to the pub..:}

See u..

4PW's
21st Feb 2010, 03:38
is beer ever expensive?

not sure what pub or how far from screening hotel.

distance to the 'izakaya' from mitsui garden hotel - 'bout two sips.

ana is a very well run operation.

good luck.

crj705
21st Feb 2010, 08:57
Just curious....

Now that they are running combined classes, are the new hires going to the apartments or staying in the hotel?

737lpa
21st Feb 2010, 17:25
My understanding is that during line operations we are responsible for paying the accomodation while in Tokyo (except for STBY´s). This, so I´ve read, is about 6 nights per month.

I´ve read that some of you prefer to rent an apartment, but for those of you who stay in hotels while off duty in Tokyo and therefore have to pay for it....:

1.- Which hotel do you stay in? (please be specific so I can look it up)

2.- When you guys mention the mitsui garden hotel which one are you referring to? (there are several in Tokyo)

3.- Is commuting to the crewroom provided for free? (shuttle bus)

4.- Is internet provided in the room? Free or for a fee?

5.- Is that the same hotel in which you do STBY´s?

6.- What type of room is it? (single, double, etc..)

7.- How much do they charge you per night when you are responsible fo paying?

8.- Is that the same hotel that you stay during the 6-8 months of initial training?

9.- Is the hotel conviniently located for someone who doesn´t have a car? (downtown, or in the suburbs..)

10.- Considering that the hotel becomes your home while in Tokyo and during blank days, would it be fair to say that everyone who stay in hotels stay at that same hotel, and therefore have company, or everyone stays in different hotels?

11.- Lastly, for those who choose to "live" in that hotel, would you say that is a good place to "live"? Comfortable? Good service?

Any of those questions answered will be corresponded with cold beer if succesful at the interview.... RESTRICCIONS APPLY:}

The Yank
21st Feb 2010, 19:12
CRJ
I don't know about future classes, but the March class will be in the apartment. The girls downstairs confirmed it :ok:

The Dominican
22nd Feb 2010, 00:33
1.- Which hotel do you stay in? (please be specific so I can look it up)
After you finish training, most of the guys stay at the Excel Tokyu, Narita. a handful of the guys stay at the Garden in Narita as well

2.- When you guys mention the mitsui garden hotel which one are you referring to? (there are several in Tokyo)
During training, Kamata. After training, Narita

3.- Is commuting to the crewroom provided for free? (shuttle bus)
Yes, from both hotels in Narita there is shuttle service to the airport. Remember that even if you rent an apartment you can claim reimbursement for train fare to and from work as part of your contract package

4.- Is internet provided in the room? Free or for a fee?
Free

5.- Is that the same hotel in which you do STBY´s?
Yes

6.- What type of room is it? (single, double, etc..)
Single

7.- How much do they charge you per night when you are responsible fo paying?
5,700Y (excel) 6,300Y (garden)

8.- Is that the same hotel that you stay during the 6-8 months of initial training?
No, prior to the merger the AJV guys where staying in Kamata as I mentioned before and the AJX guys where assigned apartments in Shirokane Takanawa. I don't know what the combined class in March will get but I hope it is the apartments since they are very comfortable

9.- Is the hotel conviniently located for someone who doesn´t have a car? (downtown, or in the suburbs..)
During training, the accommodations are in the city and very easy to get around in train but the hotels in Narita are a bit far if you are planing to go to Tokyo for fun, it takes about 90 minutes to get to down town. Narita is a bit boring and besides a handful of places there is not much to do. If you plan to go to the city after you are on the line you will have to make it an "all nighter" since the trains stop ruining after midnight. Cab fare in the middle of the night from downtown back to Narita will run you $35,000Y

10.- Considering that the hotel becomes your home while in Tokyo and during blank days, would it be fair to say that everyone who stay in hotels stay at that same hotel, and therefore have company, or everyone stays in different hotels?
Everyone stays at the excel (most guys anyway's) you will get sick of having company ;)

11.- Lastly, for those who choose to "live" in that hotel, would you say that is a good place to "live"? Comfortable? Good service?
It's not too bad really, it's just getting old after three years

luahh
22nd Feb 2010, 02:53
Do you guys know the name of the hotel in Narita where people stay while doing OJT briefing and flights?
Thanks

crj705
22nd Feb 2010, 03:16
Same one as stated above. Excel Hotel Tokyu, Narita.

ishi59
22nd Feb 2010, 23:25
Hey Fratemate

The contract companies grow some????? :ugh: How long have you been around?

Not a personal attack, my beef is with them not the pilots

Come on, these guys are there for one thing only, themselves. They have consistently shown they don't care about the pilots, rolling over like well trained little puppies at the command of ANA/AJV/AJX.

The contract pilots are their little bitches and will be screwed at the drop of a hat. Look at what Parc has done with it's medical cover. Also seeing that they will not pay accomodation allowances on Japan for interviews.

CHEAP!!!!

737lpa
23rd Feb 2010, 08:53
Dominicano,

Thanks a lot for the detailed answers. Beer will be heading your way very soon (hopefully) :ok:

I just received the profiles to study them.

Allow me to squeeze some more info from your experience with ANA.

About the commuting:

1.- When using their business class confirmed ticket, do you get to pick the time, carrier and routing or you just receive what they give you?.

2.- Does the commuting have to be on Star Alliance carriers?

3.- If commuting on ANA do you get upgraded to first if seats are available? (like KAL)

4.- When commuting to work, do you have to arrive in TYO a full day in advance or can you arrive early on the same day to start flying at night?

5.- When commuting to home do they roster you in a way that you finish early so that you can start travelling home on that same day?

6.- In your case with 10 days + 2 from A/L (total of 12 off), how many days do u actually get at home? 10 or 11?

7.- How do they manage around christmas and new years? Is there a point system, seniority based, luck?

8.- Have you ever been offered a short listed month (part time 50% or 75%) like they say in the application package?

9.- Can you get unpaid leave for unforeseen circumstances (death, births, serious illnesses, etc...)?

10.- Lastly, is it fair to say that the rostering department is on the helping side?

Thanks a lot for everything.

Tu inestimable ayuda no tiene precio :D

The Dominican
23rd Feb 2010, 15:31
1.- When using their business class confirmed ticket, do you get to pick the time, carrier and routing or you just receive what they give you?.
The short answer is yes! as long as you follow the preference, IE ANA, then Star Alliance and then other carriers. If there is no other Star alliance carrier that serves your destination then they will book you in a non partner carrier but that is the only exception
2.- Does the commuting have to be on Star Alliance carriers?
See above

3.- If commuting on ANA do you get upgraded to first if seats are available? (like KAL)
When commuting on business class tickets it is confirmed (not an upgrade) If commuting on Zed tickets there is no upgrade even if the airplane is empty

4.- When commuting to work, do you have to arrive in TYO a full day in advance or can you arrive early on the same day to start flying at night?
The company encourages to arrive the day before and if commuting on confirmed business class tickets they will not reserve you a seat to arrive the same day of your duty, now some guys are doing it on Zed tickets (arriving the same day to start your duty in the evening) but that works for some that might not have many time zones to cross and many options to get to work (remember zed is space available) but commuting from Spain, crossing many time zones to get to work and then start a duty for a 7-9 hour flight? well, lets just say that you will discourage yourself from doing it after just a couple of times

5.- When commuting to home do they roster you in a way that you finish early so that you can start traveling home on that same day?
They do not guarantee that that will be the case, but they do it for you all the time. In the three years that I have been here, I have commuted every time on my last duty day

6.- In your case with 10 days + 2 from A/L (total of 12 off), how many days do u actually get at home? 10 or 11?
I get ten, because I don't count the day that I arrive or leave as a day off

7.- How do they manage around Christmas and new years? Is there a point system, seniority based, luck?
There is a point system, and it works pretty well since Christmas is not really that important to the Japanese crew members and the western guys can pretty much get it off every time but on the other hand you can count with working New Years, specially if you are junior (IE have little points accumulated) Now, bid what you want and don't assume you will not get it, people bid for different reasons and you will never know. I've gotten Christmas off every year and New years twice

8.- Have you ever been offered a short listed month (part time 50% or 75%) like they say in the application package?
They did for a few months after the economy took a dump but with the merger of the two companies I speculate that it won't be available in the next few months, It seems that we will start getting busy again since there are 20 more hours in my March roster compared with February. Part time contracts are only available after you complete your first contract

9.- Can you get unpaid leave for unforeseen circumstances (death, births, serious illnesses, etc...)?
I have to say that they are very helpful in terms of personal problems, for what I have seen so far (and experience myself with an operation that my wife had to undergo) they will bend over backwards to try to accommodate you as long as it is not last minute (the Japanese don't like last minute plan changes) Now there is another side to that coin, show up and complete your roster as assigned, that is all they are asking for. If you are an individual that is always using sick calls to arrange your life style, it is always waiting until the last minute to commute on zed tickets and misses your duty often, if you are an individual that is always trying to get specific trips and is always making demands (don't roster me for early shows, don't roster me to fly with other captains, ect.) then you burden the scheduler and your fellow pilots because somebody will have to pick up the slack, does that makes sense? Just show up for your duty as assign and when you need time off for personal reason, it will be there

10.- Lastly, is it fair to say that the rostering department is on the helping side?
Absolutely, they are. You do your part and they will do theirs

Suerte en la entrevista, dejanos saber como te fue:ok:

737lpa
24th Feb 2010, 10:05
Thanks a lot Dominican,

What I meant on question #3 is if you are able to upgrade from business to first when travelling on a confirmed business ticket on ANA flights.

Also when you mentioned that the Japanese don´t really request Christmas so much... are you flying with Japanese F/O´s?

I thought that AVJ/AVX was full of contractors and that the Japanese would fly in the "real" ANA.

I saw you were comming from Pinnacle (CRJ´s). Did you find adaption to a B767 difficult? I´m applying for a CP position but only have flown B737-800 before...

Thank you again. :ok:

Ya te diré como me va todo.

crj705
24th Feb 2010, 11:18
If you decide to take the business class ticket, you are treated 100% like a normal passenger and have not "special" upgrade privileges. However, you do accumulate a very large number of frequent flier miles so you very well could upgrade using your elite status and/or frequent flier miles. Some guys also used them for tickets and pocket the $2000 cash for the month.

There are a few different groups at the company. The largest is the foreign contract pilots. There are also some Japanese pilots that are here on contracts too. They came from other airlines in Japan. Most are captains, but there are maybe 2 or 3 FOs I think. The next groups is "career" over 60 captains from ANA. There might be around 10 to 15 of those and all are pretty good guys. Then there are the management pilots. Those are the guys that are assigned to the company from ANA and are active ANA pilots. Maybe about 10 of those.

The Dominican
24th Feb 2010, 13:09
I saw you were comming from Pinnacle (CRJ´s). Did you find adaption to a B767 difficult?

No, not particularly. The 767/757 have a great reputation as "pilot airplanes" and it is well deserved, they are great flying platforms and very enjoyable to fly. What is a bit difficult is to understand what is it that they want, you will hear expressions like "You must work on timing" but you don't really know what that means so you change the tempo of you calling for check lists and adjust the way you do the maneuver until they are happy with it, that is really the challenge of the training here. Once you understand that is has nothing to do with a safe operation but rather it is a rehearsal for a performance in front of the JCAB inspector, then it will become a lot easier to do the maneuvers. Adaptability and patience more than good flying skills are the key to pass training here, don't ask why or get frustrated with changes during training (and things will change midstream) just play along, if you fight it or start trying to show a "better way" or "this is how we used to do it at my previous airline" and you are digging a hole for yourself

737lpa
24th Feb 2010, 13:43
thank u both CRJ and Dominicano

All of these details that you guys are giving away are priceless inputs for guys like me full of uncertainties and curious about the know-how of the job. :D

Its clear to me that the Japanese have their ways (so do we in JAR world) and thats to be respected and not challenged. It makes sense to adapt ASAP since they're the ones paying the coinage. That I think I can do, or at least try to do.

One of the things that atract me the most from this contract is the apparent happiness and overall satisfaction of the contractors that are working already, despite of the fact that the job is so far away and that not much time is spent at home.

Having read the 50+ pages of this forum and the airliners central, its overwhelming to see the comments of encouragement from most of the posts.

I realize that most of you, like me, have families (wife, kids, ...) and yet the fact that you live away from them is compensated somehow with a good, decent, well paid contract overseas. Having been contracting por the past decade I must say that that's very unique.

I therefore must ask these questions:

1.- Under your opinion, what porcentage of pilots (roughly) actually quit even when succesful during the training, due to being unable to cope with the distance, or due to getting homesick?

2.- Is it fair to say that most people (western contractors) are in the job due to the crisis and are waiting for better (closer to home) opportuniities to arise? In other words, how often do u surf the flight international webpage?

3.- Is renewal of the contract after 5 years a common ocurrence or people kind of "hold on" to get the 30 grand and jet off?

4.- Would u say that most people see this job as a long term commitment, somewhere to retire at, or like something u have to do until the market recovers?

I know the questions are a bit personal and difficult to answer. I'm just trying to get an overall impression of expectations from the majority of pilots on this contract.

Summarizing,

5.- When u guys are in the pub in the corner, do u talk about money and women (like everybody who works in a happy airline), or do u discuss new opportunities and job offers to escape this commuting contract?

Thanks again for your inputs.

I'll keep the post up to date with developments on my upcoming interview.

So far I can tell u that they are treating me very well (Parc) and are being extremely helpful with the interview arrangements.

See u...

The Dominican
26th Feb 2010, 00:05
1.- Under your opinion, what porcentage of pilots (roughly) actually quit even when succesful during the training, due to being unable to cope with the distance, or due to getting homesick?

Besides retirement of course, attrition here is negligible and for the three years that I've been here I know of 3 pilots that have left

2.- Is it fair to say that most people (western contractors) are in the job due to the crisis and are waiting for better (closer to home) opportunities to arise? In other words, how often do u surf the flight international webpage?

Very subjective question and it is impossible for me to say, personally I'm not looking, for what? at best a sideways move?

3.- Is renewal of the contract after 5 years a common ocurrence or people kind of "hold on" to get the 30 grand and jet off?

We have many guys on second and even third contracts here. I just wanted to say that even if you sign a new contract you will get your contract completion bonus

4.- Would u say that most people see this job as a long term commitment, somewhere to retire at, or like something u have to do until the market recovers?

I couldn't tell you what the guys here have on their heads, I'm mostly concentrated in what the voices inside my head are telling me!:} I don't know man, all I can tell you is that I'm not looking:)

I know the questions are a bit personal and difficult to answer. I'm just trying to get an overall impression of expectations from the majority of pilots on this contract.

Summarizing,

5.- When u guys are in the pub in the corner, do u talk about money and women (like everybody who works in a happy airline), or do u discuss new opportunities and job offers to escape this commuting contract?

In this job environment? Yes we all are just waiting for United to start hiring again so that we can go back to earning less than a waitress and qualify for food stamps:ugh:

I'll accept your earlier beer invitation as long as we do not talk about this paid hobby of ours, deal?

737lpa
26th Feb 2010, 15:13
Deal, Dominicano... I owe you a few gallons of beer by now..;)

I just need to concentrate now on the "process" and try to be succesful at the screening. Let´s see if I get lucky and get a job offer eventually.

I´ve already put an Air Japan B767 in my screensaver... for inspiration...

Thank u again for answering every time. :)

luahh
28th Feb 2010, 04:57
Do you guys have any idea of how long it takes the OJT briefing plus OJT flights? or in other words; the second part of the training that begins at NRT.

Thanks

Deep and fast
13th Mar 2010, 14:49
How many aircraft and crew are currently employed?

Cheers

D and F :8

oldhasbeen
16th Mar 2010, 18:02
All of them:p

Deep and fast
19th Mar 2010, 10:08
I'll try again then.

How many Boing aircraft do they have and how many flight crew do they have?

Cheers

D and F

gtseraf
19th Mar 2010, 11:05
Hello D&F

Air Japan don't own any of their own aircraft. They dry lease machines from ANA. ANA have 19 767 300 ER's.

Air Japan have approx. 60 foreign pilots and 20 ANA pilots, with plans to expand to 100 or more foreign pilots.

As AJX grows, it will take more of the 767 flying from ANA, international flights.

Sorry if the answer's a bit vague but that's how the system works here.

Deep and fast
19th Mar 2010, 11:40
gtseraf

Thanks for that. In the process of adding all the totals to complete my application, so it's good to hear they have further expansion plans.

D and F :8

meguro
26th Mar 2010, 00:47
ANA have just announced the cancellation of ALL employee contracts with AJV. They are offering renewed terms with less money and less days off. This is a first for ANA in their relations with foreign pilots, it's what you would expect from Chinese. Morale has always gone up and down a little, but nothing like this. They are baically dishonorable and dishonest and reading this!

ishi59
26th Mar 2010, 02:04
watching this space with interest:mad::sad:

gtseraf
26th Mar 2010, 02:21
They're turning the lights off at the dark side::}

fourgolds
26th Mar 2010, 12:02
any truth / farther developments in what Meguro has said ?

maybe!
27th Mar 2010, 02:38
Its true All ajv contracts canceled from 1st July, offering a reduced contract with ajx Totally agree with megurus comment. but they may get a big shock when a lot of people decline there generous offer and head home
Do not be fooled with the perception that Japanese company's act honorably
they are plicks just like Chinese etc:eek:

ishi59
27th Mar 2010, 09:26
Maybe

Maybe you are almost correct, would be interesting to see who stays and who takes the door.:}:ugh:

heavydane
27th Mar 2010, 12:11
Not a huge surprise.

Probably the prelude to the merger btw AJV and AJX that has been tossed around for quite some time now.
That ANA elect to go with the lowest denominator comes as no big surprise.

Regards

Heavydane

Capt Coco
29th Mar 2010, 12:32
Hey Tuna,
I think you'll find it's far from the first time ANA have ever done this....ask all the WAC boys on the 747 what happened in the 90', I think RC is in town at the moment he could always fill you in as he was one of the boys left without a job back then. Or the 737 guys a couple of months ago.....all given the flick. None of them were offered to have their jobs transfered straight into AJX.....although I believe they have taken maybe one or two of the 737 guys recently. From past history I reckon ANA is similar to a lot of airlines out there today, I don't really trust any of them.
What we all have to figure out now is how do we keep our days off and money and bring all the AJX guys up onto our deal:confused::confused:. Unfortunately I think it may be a very big ask, if not impossible:ugh:

skybullitt
1st Apr 2010, 23:37
Any news from within?
It all sounded very attractive and matching my taste up to the last few posts.
I have actually applied with one of the agencies and was seriously thinking of giving it a try, would of course like to hear from you guys already there and maybe from those who went through the screening lately.
Thanks.

S.B.

Talon757
2nd Apr 2010, 15:17
Here's a link to the official press release concerning the AJX/AJV merger:

ANA | Press Releases (http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/aboutana/press/index_sm.html)

ishi59
10th Apr 2010, 08:13
????? very quiet:ugh:

anchorriver
11th Apr 2010, 10:48
Hi folks, I would be grateful if you can tell me about the roster on the cargo ops, especially your stay in Naha. Like, how many hours do you rest there? Where do you fly to/from Naha. My wife and I are wondering if we can work for ANA Cargo and live in Okinawa in future. Thanks in advance. Safe flight.

AR

Absolutely
12th Apr 2010, 06:46
Your a bit late. ANA Cargo (AJV) ceases to exist on the 1st July. It's merging back into Air Japan (AJX):hmm:
Even though the OKA hub will still exist I doubt they will ever base crew there.

groundtoflightdeck
12th Apr 2010, 14:13
This may be a stupid question...

The job summary talks about mixed passenger and freighter ops, and then asks if you prefer AJX or AJV... I was thinking it was all under the Air Japan umbrella would there be a difference if you went either way?
Thanks.

skybullitt
12th Apr 2010, 16:20
So it looks like the new package is 500$/month less and -1 day off if compared to the old AJV deal.
Any rumors about the latest developments and plans as far as scheduling/routes for the "new" company?

Anybody been through screening lately?Didn't they give out any info on what it is gonna be like after July 1st?Class dates?

The Dominican
12th Apr 2010, 19:40
Any rumors about the latest developments and plans as far as scheduling/routes for the "new" company?

Guys listen, neither of us nor our management knows what the lines will look like post merger. Why? simply because the pace of the economical recovery is unknown to ANA and 2010 will be a very " fluid " year for us because there will be a LOT of adjusting and a LOT of changes to our rosters and trips during 2010 so anything that we tell you now is merely speculative at this point because not even ANA knows what our market share will be for the next couple of years:confused:

kanin
13th Apr 2010, 02:17
question...

i'm looking into this gig probably with Parc. Just curious to know how the 76's are outfitted... steam gauges or upgraded to glass? (haven't flown steam gauges in some time)

k

The Dominican
14th Apr 2010, 05:25
Just curious to know how the 76's are outfitted... steam gauges or upgraded to glass?:confused:

Just in case this question is legit:bored:

Each instrument panel has an EADI and an EHSI but the rest of the instruments are steam and they are arranged in the old "T" format. All instrument indications and systems information is displayed in two EICAS screens in the center of the panel and all are CRT's

kanin
14th Apr 2010, 20:24
ha thanks. just curious, i've been flying with pure glass the past 5 years and am looking into this gig.

Had a ups jumpseater a couple of months ago who said when he was hired he had the option of any aircraft - he chose the DC8 because he was technologically challenged (old military dude). I guess the learning curve goes both ways...

K

The Dominican
16th Apr 2010, 04:59
The job summary talks about mixed passenger and freighter ops, and then asks if you prefer AJX or AJV... I was thinking it was all under the Air Japan umbrella would there be a difference if you went either way?
Thanks.

As my compadre Absolutely pointed out, after July 1st AJV ceases its operations and all personnel will transfer to AJX (some kicking and screaming):E so no, it doesn't make any difference. The job sites haven't been updated yet. the class that started in March is already a group for the combined company since by the time they finish training we will be fully integrated, now what does fully integrated will look like is what all of us are very curious about:ugh:

skybullitt
16th Apr 2010, 08:55
sim question:
on the engine failure after V1 profile at 1000' you are to select V/S 300ft/min and retract flaps on sched but what happens to the commanded F/D speed at that point?
On other Boeing types a V/S selection would open the speed window at your present speed and you would have to select a higher speed in order to have the aircraft accelerate.
Anyone willing to clarify on this one?

Anyone been through screening in March?Any interview/sim gauge?

Thanks.

S.B.

northeast canuck
16th Apr 2010, 16:44
The flight director will command exactly what you tell it to, so when you select V/S +300 the pitch bar will command a climb at 300fpm. With takeoff thrust on one engine climbing at 300fpm you will accelerate away from the commanded "speed window" speed and therefore you can commence flap retraction. After flap retraction you select FLCH and this resets the MCP speed to whatever the current speed is (just be careful that it is the speed you want, it may be a few knots slow or fast depending on when you pressed the button).

Hope this helps.

skybullitt
17th Apr 2010, 00:38
Thanks Northeast Canuck,

OK so as I understand it the F/D will command a 300ft/min climb and the speed the aircraft had at the time the V/S button was pressed (so in the range of V2/V2+15).
If the auto throttle was on at that time wouldn't it try to maintain the MCP speed then?So in fact around V2 to V2+15?If this was the case isn't there a chance for the auto throttle to even command a thrust reduction?
Or maybe the A/T disengages during an engine failure?
Or is there something I am not seeing?
I thought that selecting V/S 300ft/min and 190kts would take care of the speed too but apparently the speed is only dealt with after FLCH selection.

a confused non 767 rated guy.....

northeast canuck
17th Apr 2010, 00:43
No, the flight director pitch bar will command a 300fpm climb ONLY. There is no speed protection in V/S mode on the 757/767 unlike some other Boeing models. The autothrottle goes into "THR HLD" on takeoff (and then ARM if memory serves) which means that it is declutched and therefore you have full control over it. When you reach your altitude with "ALT CAP" the autothrottle will come back to life in SPD mode but by then you should have disarmed the autothrottle as per the engine failure checklist so it shouldn't be an issue. But, having said that, don't forget to reduce thrust manually when you level off or you will accelerate!:ok:

After takeoff with an engine failure the FD pitch bar will command a speed between V2 and V2+15 depending on what speed you were actually flying on liftoff, but when you press V/S this goes out the window. Later, when you select FLCH, pitch controls speed again.

I know, it can be confusing...

skybullitt
17th Apr 2010, 01:22
canuck,

thanks for that, much clearer now!

Since we're at it, does V/S on the 767 work like that all the time or just during an engine failure?
What if you are descending in FLCH and then select V/S with a shallow rate of descent, would the A/T remain at idle having you loose your airspeed unless you level off or intervene manually on the thrust levers?

But I guess we're drifting off topic.....

northeast canuck
17th Apr 2010, 01:53
Skybullit,

I've just been through my old 767 manual to make sure I'm giving you the correct information! It's been 6 years since I flew one...

OK Here's the deal. When you push the V/S switch, the pitch mode will command the vertical speed you select. Normally, the autothrottle will command the selected MCP speed - BUT there are some provisos:

1. If you select V/S from VNAV or FLCH, then the A/T will automatically engage in SPD mode if armed. In the case of the V1 cut, you are in THR HOLD or ARM mode, so SPD mode will not engage in this case (thrust levers are still yours).

2. V/S has speed control (in the case above), but NO SPEED PROTECTION. This means if you command 6000 fpm UP, it will do everything it can to achieve that and eventually stall. If you command 6000 fpm DOWN you will overspeed, there is no reversion to protection modes. Not an issue for the ANA sim so don't worry about it.

Check your PM's.

Rgds

crj705
17th Apr 2010, 02:22
When you select V/S, your autothrottle returns to N1 mode and remains there until you select FLCH which will change your autothrottle mode to FLCH and open the speed window.

northeast canuck
17th Apr 2010, 03:08
Thanks for that, that's the missing piece. So in N1 mode you get the thrust required for the climb. It's been a while!

skybullitt
17th Apr 2010, 16:34
Canuck, you have a PM.

The Dominican
18th Apr 2010, 02:04
So in N1 mode you get the thrust required for the climb

It goes to max N1, remember that is the reason why the T/O profile has you take the time after seting the THR switch because there is a time limit of 5 minutes at this power setting, so don't forget once you have reached VREF 30+ 80kts and brought your flaps up to call for "FLCH, set VREF 30+80kts (or the speed, both of them are acceptable) set MCT, A/P center command" the set MCT call is very important so as not to bust the limitation and all these calls should come one right after the other. Only after you are in a clean configuration with the A/P engaged climbing at VREF 30+80kts is when you call for the "Engine Failure Checklist" since a failure without fire or damage doesn't have recall (memory) items.

Good luck:ok:

gaijin
20th Apr 2010, 17:41
Moderators should now close this thread. AJV has ceased to be and our 'Colleagues' at AJX have provided no support. Not only have we lost money, we have lost 10% of our days off and will have to replace our passport every 10 months. It feels good to join the lemming like rush to deteriorate terms and conditions for pilots worldwide!
Anybody relying on an agency to support them while they are working in a country as alien as Japan should take note; Parc, HACS & IAC will do whatever is required to ensure that they earn money. Your contract is irrelevant and may stand in the way of your agency's profits, as a result it may be a casualty of agency profiteering. Bon Chance!!

ishi59
21st Apr 2010, 00:02
Hey Gaijin

Your post makes some sense but I wouldn't rush into blaming the AJX guys too quickly. I don't seem to remember the AJV boys doing much to get the AJX guys up to their package when the going was good.:eek:

Also, look to pick a fight with those who deserve it, splitting the pilot community with a squabble like this is probably just what the other side wants to see.:ugh::ugh::ugh:

I have yet to hear of any of the AJV pilots offering to share their package for the 9 months or so that they'll be with AJX, whilst RETAINING the AJV package.

meguro
21st Apr 2010, 01:46
Whilst retaining the AJV PACKAGE? Also retaining the AJV schedule, what's that problem?
For Ishi; I assume that you had the choice to shift to cargo? I am guessing we're all going to be doing a lot of cargo, especially during this GFC, (not).
What can I say, the cookies might be a bit late?:eek: or not at all :ooh:

Hats all round:yuk:

gaijin
29th Apr 2010, 13:33
Ishi, well thought through response! Here we are trying to keep 10% of our time off and you want to know if we'll split our $500 per month! Welcome to the world of commercial aviation where management rape us and we try to maintain some kind of middle ground.
When we fight amongst ourselves we; yes lose! The original AJV pilots risked an enormous amount for a small, but significant gain in terms and conditions. If you didn't have the stomach for the fight that's fine, but when terms and conditions are further undermined don't come weeping.
For those of you looking for a new job be aware, terms and conditions have changed here. An immediate reply to this asking 'how to pass the interview' will demonstrate a moronic inability to interpret information being presented in a fairly forthright manner.
I hope that IAC, PARC and HACS will all post here to explain how they defended their contractors terms and conditions, but don't hold your breath.They have deserted their employees in the same way that Ethics escaped Goldman Sachs!

meguro
1st May 2010, 00:24
In reading the previous post by Gaijin I make the following comment; Sometimes there is an extreme, lonely, dissenting voice that separates themselves from the mainstream. I can categorically state that there are over 100 guys nodding in agreement with the last post, they make up the quiet majority. If you're thinking of coming here and you're reading the conditions, there's no point, ANA just rip it up with impunity and in coalition with the contract companies.
If you're coming here, have a liferaft, a furlough etc.

Good luck

Gaijin Captain
7th May 2010, 06:04
I`m one of the ANK 737 guys. We were not left out in the cold by either ANA Group or Crew/HACS or PARC, contract agencies. In fact, they have all put in tremendous effort to take care of us. They said they are paying our contract completion bonuses even though they are ending our contracts almost 1 year early. Those of us that were in good standing with the company were offered the AJX/AJV interviews. All of us that met the AJX/AJV Capt minimums have interviewed. There are now 4 more of us waiting for class dates in addition to the 2 that are already in training. We are all pretty excited about our future here at ANA/AJX/AJV and that stems from how we have been treated here over the last few years by ANA/ANK. This has been the best job I have ever had! Consider yourself very fortunate if you get to interview and are offered a job, especially during the current economic status in Japan and the rest of the world.

Pin Head
7th May 2010, 07:33
whats the day off deal? 20 on 11 off?

crj705
7th May 2010, 14:55
Eventually everyone will be under the AJX contract. Basically 20 on and 10 off.

meguro
7th May 2010, 22:46
Like I said, there is always an extreme voice that does not represent the group!
It sounds like you have a touch of Stockholm syndrome? I note with interest that four are not in class yet, I wouldn't be thanking ANA too much until they get over the line first.
The fact is they cancelled our contracts, if any of us did the same thing, we will never work fo rthe same agency or within ANA ever again.
A Captain qualification is not a big deal, you will be doing as much right seat as left seat work here.

Regards.

ishi59
8th May 2010, 00:50
Gaijin capt.

Interesting post. At ANK you would have been flying 737's domestically. Mostly when the sun was up.

The freight operation includes a lot of back of the clock multi leg sectors. Hava a taste of the joys of this kind of flying before getting too excited.

This merger seems to be all about cutting costs (salaries) and increasing productivity (fatigue). Good luck to those left standing.

Gaijin Captain
8th May 2010, 11:13
The sun was up when it shouldn't be and down when it should have been up. I commute from 8 hrs time difference so it's all the same to me. Might be tough commuting from OZ or NZ? I am used to it and prepare each time I cross. No problem.

As far as 4 not in class, all this just transpired recently, mid April.

The contract changes had to be expected. There are mergers and big changes taking place to ensure a future for ANA.

gazman21
18th May 2010, 16:19
Is LASIK eye surgery still forbidden with the Japanese Authorities?????
gazman21

crj705
19th May 2010, 05:02
Still not allowed.

Capt. Alan
19th May 2010, 05:28
wondering if anyone can answer my question? :confused:

I am very much interested in this position,

I am a 747-400 relief captain with 7500TT,

however I am from Taiwan and have only Taiwan passport,

my ATPL is also issued by Taiwan CAA.

I am willing to go get a FAA ATPL,

but I dont think I can do anything about my passport.. :ugh:

IS AJX going to have any opinion about my passport?

thank you for any inputs..

crj705
19th May 2010, 07:42
I am pretty sure that the Taiwan CAA ATPL is a no go. There are some that have already been down this road.

As far as the Passport, this has not come up yet as far as I know. I am not sure anyone here would be able to answer your question and I would suggest that you contact one of the contract companies to get a valid answer.

Capt. Alan
19th May 2010, 08:20
wildo.

thank you for your quick reply..

dalflyer
24th May 2010, 11:51
Gaijin Capt:
"The sun was up when it shouldn't be and down when it should have been up. I commute from 8 hrs time difference so it's all the same to me. Might be tough commuting from OZ or NZ? I am used to it and prepare each time I cross. No problem.

As far as 4 not in class, all this just transpired recently, mid April.

The contract changes had to be expected. There are mergers and big changes taking place to ensure a future for ANA."

And I guess you expected your contract changes right ?:rolleyes: Or should I say you expected your contract to be CANCELLED just like ours was. You sound like a true management wannabe with your "ensure the future of ANA" comments. Keep drinking the ANA Coolaid mate :ugh:, the best thing about this place right now is making plans to leave it.

The Dominican
26th May 2010, 21:10
I prefer stay with my wife and small baby(1 yr old) in Japan rather than commuting. company issues residence visa for my family? what about tax in this case? they deduct tax from my salary? any allowances for schooling?
many thanks!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

This is a commuting contract only and the company will not sponsor you for a residence visa, Your wife could get a job as an English teacher for example and try to get it that way but you will have to find alternate means for a residence visa, the company won't do it:=

GAMEOVER
3rd Jun 2010, 15:08
Hello and thanks for your post.

Air Japan (AJX) and ANA & JP Express (AJV) will merge and the merged company wiil be called AIR JAPAN.

ANA &JP Express (AJV) will then be dissolved. Pilots will operate both passenger and freighter flights.

What is your opinion about the following:

-The future to hire more pilots, more planes (in a short term, 1 ór 2 years)

BR.

ishi59
8th Jun 2010, 01:16
Orientexpress, here are some answers

1. So far, the company has been reliable with its commiment to the upgrades. All f/o's have been upgraded within the first 5 year contract at Air Japan, with a very high success rate. There is a pre upgrade assessment, where a couple have been held back.

Expect 5 years to upgrade, any earlier is a bonus, some have done it in 3 but don't plan on that. The requirements are the same as required to join the company plus a certain time on line, I think 2 years.

as for the future, who knows, but there is a good track record to expect it will continue.

2. if you take the cash, you have to arrange transport yourself. Be aware with the "C" class commute. If you live near a city served by ANA, you will be sent on an ANA flight, no choice. If you live in the USA, the domestic sector from there will be on a code share flight, ECONOMY class, as business class "is not available" in the US. First is seen as above "C" class. Despite that, the "C" class commute is a winner and a big attraction.

3. I doubt it. 250 PIC requirement ????

4.Dream on!

5. No tax paid in Japan

6. No bond as far as I know.

the good MD80
8th Jun 2010, 08:58
Hi Guys !!

Is anybody around working for PARC that can give an estimate about how long it takes from the moment the application was sent to the agency until the "invitation" for the interview came ?

Thanks to all of you who shared your great and valuable information in this pages.

:D

Safe Flights

ishi59
9th Jun 2010, 00:46
1. Your tax questions are best answered by your tax consulatant. On planet earth, different countries have different tax laws. I'm not sure what the milky way laws are but I'm sure a local tax agent could answer them far better than an anonymous pilot on this board.

2. How much do you eat and drink. Tokyo can be expensive, a beer at a bar can cost 8$ or more. If you hide in your room, you can save a lot but the bills for therapy afterward may be high. Count on using up the full accomodation and per diem allowance. Any money saved, will then be a bonus.

3. up to now, the scheduling has been flexible. back to back has been done. The contract specifies tha company can roster 8 days off in a row minimum. This has not been done and they have always done 10 days. The present scheduler is VERY good and tries to accomodate all requests. What the future holds, who knows.

4.This is being revamped by the company but should provide a ticket to closest airport served by any airline near your home. ANA flights will be used as a priority to get you near but direct flights may be given if this makes tie commute too long. New guys in the office applying their interpretations of the rules:ugh:

5.Generally all crews get on well. The Japanese pilots are very polite, respectful and mostly friendly. The biggest problems have been with non Japanese pilots.

Just be careful. The merger of the two operations could mean many changes, so the future may be very different to past experience. Better or worse, who knows.

crj705
10th Jun 2010, 10:17
Taxes have to be paid somewhere, and if they don't pay taxes in Japan on your behalf (as korean and vietnam do on their respective countries I believe) that means that you have no tax credit whatsoever and you are then liable for full taxes in you own country

That is not necessarily true. Tax law varies widely from country to country. It all depends on where you are from, where you are living, and how often you go back to that country.

In my instance, I am a US citizen who is now living in another Asian country. My first $91,000 is tax free and I have so many deductions that my tax liability is very low in the US. My current home does not require any taxes to be paid unless I earn income here or am here for more than 180 days a year, which I am not. And I have no tax liability in Japan because I am only there as a crew member on a shore pass.

Taxes are complicated and I would recommend seeking professional advice from someone in your home country.

E165
14th Jun 2010, 01:51
All f/o's have been upgraded within the first 5 year contract at Air Japan, with a very high success rate.

True and very fortunate, good on them, especially the 3-year newly upgrades. But just recently I believe 1 failed the JCAB check and 3 failed upgrade training (AJV/AJX) - all within about 2-3 months period. Not 100% sure, but heard in the rumor mill. Then again, this is a rumor network afterall. ;)

The Dominican
14th Jun 2010, 02:43
But just recently I believe 1 failed the JCAB check and 3 failed upgrade training (AJV/AJX) - all within about 2-3 months period.

There have been no upgrade failures recently and I can't really think of anyone in the close to four years that I have been here that has gone for upgrade training and not made it, things like that leak out to the line pretty quickly and it is not that we are gossipy around here, I like to think of it as a very effective system of information gathering and redistribution.:E Now what you might be referring to and somehow have gotten twisted in the rumor mill is that several guys have been bypassed for upgrade due to the fact that they weren't ready or some guys in initial training that have not made it through, but not upgrade training.

gaijin
14th Jun 2010, 04:42
Well Dominican you are unfortunately not well informed! Recently one FO failed his command upgrade with the JCAB. Two others were not allowed to continue their training whilst at the simulator stage!
For those of you considering joining bear in mind that recently 4 guys have failed the type rating/ATPL. They were all experienced pilots, some with lots of 767 time.
Another little known fact is that PARC have just cancelled al the NCA pilots' contracts. They can sign a new one but this will mean a 10% cut in terms and conditions!!
If you want to work somewhere where your terms and conditions are likely to change at short notice, you could fail the initial training or subsequently fail the upgrade this is a great place to be. Not only that you get to live miles from home! Living the dream!

The Dominican
14th Jun 2010, 05:21
Thanks Gaijin, just heard about it so I stand corrected. Good guys too:ugh:

matador15
15th Jun 2010, 01:36
Terrible news regarding PARC contracts.. So the NCA guys
only have that 10% cut option? Any possibility that reduction
could be temporary ?:rolleyes:

any other news/ updates regarding NCA ??

tobagotb10
15th Jun 2010, 16:35
Buenas, disculpe que te aborde de esta manera. Estoy trabajando en España y empiezo a preguntarme como seria trabajar en una nipona. Te importaría q re hiciese alguna que otra pregunta? Muchas gracias.
[email protected]

oldhasbeen
16th Jun 2010, 22:50
????????:eek:

retflyboy
19th Jun 2010, 02:47
ANA to inaugurate 4 new int'l routes out of Haneda Airport in autumn - The Mainichi Daily News (http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/business/news/20100618p2a00m0na011000c.html)

Interesting potential development.

FLYJET123
21st Jun 2010, 00:43
Can anyone offer advice please. I applied for F/O position in Jan 2009 and was not successfull. I was a Cpt on B757 at the time but did not have the 3000 hrs jet PIC. I am now nearing the 3000PIC (all on B757), is it worth me applying for Cpts position? Do not know why I was not successful last time for F/O position.

Gaijin Captain
21st Jun 2010, 03:08
All you can do is apply again and make sure your paperwork is complete and accurate. This is very important.

meguro
21st Jun 2010, 06:23
I think ANA/V/X may be about done recruiting Captains, I don't knnow the current ratio, but it is profoundly unbalanced.
Traditionally, if you've been rejected previously, there's no second chance.:ugh:

Jetaim
22nd Jun 2010, 18:30
Hello

can anybody shed some light. I applied with Rishworth for an FO position with ANA in October 2009. For some reason I was not selected for the interview.
I met all requirements and I completed the application as accurate as I could given the fact that I flew in the States and in Europe with different rules for logging flight times and different log books.. I went trough all of them and I had to recalculate a lot trying to be as accurate as I could. It took a week or so.
Nevertheless that was a no go. I just wonder if it is so utterly important to go to the minute when you have thousands of hour on heavy jet with a major global operator and two ATPLs.
But will I be able to reapply or not ? I heard you have to let pass one year but I thought that was the case for those who did not pass the screening.
What about if you never got at that stage?
I'm very interested for a number of reasons but looks like I'm bouncing on a rubber wall. I tried to ask Crew Resource but I got no answer.

The Dominican
22nd Jun 2010, 20:11
I just wonder if it is so utterly important to go to the minute when you have thousands of hour on heavy jet with a major global operator and two ATPLs.

First thing is to forget your logic, it doesn't apply. All the pilots that work here are experienced with thousands of hours and many decades in the business and we all had to do the proper homework with the logbooks, there is no way around it.

I applied with Rishworth for an FO position with ANA in October 2009. For some reason I was not selected for the interview.

Apply with CREW or PARC, they are more reputable agencies than Rishworthless

But will I be able to reapply or not ? I heard you have to let pass one year but I thought that was the case for those who did not pass the screening.

MEGURO is correct in the sense that typically they don't give a second interview if you busted the first (or your application was bounced for some reason) Now having said that, according to one of the recruiters the pool of qualified applicants is drying out with the markets getting better in the countries that typically supply expat pilots and the fact that a lot of the guys that are still looking are running into currency issues because if you are not current it is an uphill battle for sure.:ugh:

Just apply and see what happens, if you get them interested please come back and report it since there are quite a few guys that will like to know the answer to that question

Good luck:ok:

Jiraiya
25th Jun 2010, 22:24
Hello guys new to the forum.

What are the possibilities of finding a job, that actually grants you a visa to live in Japan.

I'd rather have my family living there, then having to commute. Been in Japan and we loved it.

Fratemate
26th Jun 2010, 03:08
Very few possibilities and AJX/AJV is not one of them. The residents of Japan in our outfit are married to Japanese and live here by virtue of that. Try looking at the various agencies' websites to see what contracts are on offer.

PS: You've got to be mad if you'd want to live here :bored:

Jiraiya
26th Jun 2010, 09:15
Thanks for your reply. Why do you think its mad living there? Just asking, as you will definitely know more than I do.

crj705
26th Jun 2010, 09:43
Some people love it here, and some people can't wait to leave as soon as their work is done for the month. It all depends on your personality, experiences, expectations, level of patience, etc. To each his own.

Jiraiya
26th Jun 2010, 09:47
Cheers. I'd say you're spot on. Problem is getting fed up of your own home doesn't leave many options.

NEWYEAR
26th Jun 2010, 11:53
Good day,

Regarding with the way to deal with brokers or even the Company...

A friend of mine told me that he recieved the aplication form from Parc Aviation in order to take the exams next July and the broker said to him, and it is written in their papers, "that the return ticket to travel must be reimbursed". My friend lives in U.K So, in our opinion (friend and me) this issue gave us a bad impression. To reimbursed.....:eek:

Normaly the Company or the broker pay the ticket, as it must be free for the applicants, you are invited for several interviews process in a different country, you are the guest first of all. Many others companies or brokers pay your ticket or even your hotel with meals such us Emirates.

This friend of mine also told me that he read in a link that the day you have to pass your medical exams you have to go to many differents places around the big city because they don´t have an specific clinic or hospital to develop your medical check.
It´s incredible that you have to put up with this situation wasting your money taking taxis, busses etc keeping in mind that you have to be calm to pass your medical exam. This is another bad impression

These are some considerations or points of view you should keep in mind.

You are a person who wants a new opportunity, a person who might be unemployed and they try to take advantage of your situation.

Regards.

crj705
26th Jun 2010, 13:29
This has been discussed at length earlier in the thread. I have never herd of anyone that had any problem getting their ticket reimbursed. With the large number of guys that have interviewed here over the last few years, if there were problems, you would have herd about it.

The transportation is not free for the applicants as you are not usually transported on ANA. The reason they want you to pay for the ticket is because it guarantees that you show up. Its not really fair for them to lose the price of a ticket because you change your mind at the last minute.

Regarding the medical. Mine was done in New York over 2 days. My transportation was all arranged and didn't cost me any money while I was there.

This job has been around for a while now so it's not like this is unexplored territory.

meguro
27th Jun 2010, 01:24
I think that the latest information may need to me checked? As I understand it, with the recent cut in pay and conditions, candidates NOW had to pay their way to Japan for the evaluation?

Regards

crj705
27th Jun 2010, 07:58
I have not herd of anyone not getting reimbursed but I very well could be wrong. Anyone have any first hand reports confirming this?

Fratemate
27th Jun 2010, 08:17
NEWYEAR,

According to Parc, from 1 Apr, all selection candidates pay for their accommodation in Japan and their ground transportation. The air fare is reimbursed, as has always been the case and, from what I've heard, nobody has ever had any issues getting the money back from Parc (and you'd certainly have heard about it if that was the case). They are up-front with these matters and abide by them because, at the very least, their reputation is on the line and, with that, their business.

E165
27th Jun 2010, 13:32
CREW paid for your tickets and hotel before for your interview. Or is that history now?

northeast canuck
29th Jun 2010, 03:37
I went out to Japan for the interview in April so was one of the first who had to pay for their own accommodation & transport. It's not very much, but in the scheme of things it does seem petty.

My airfare was re-imbursed within a few days both times (I had to return to Japan to re-do a medical test and the accommodation was free this time).

The medical check was all done at one clinic. Apparently it's a new one they've only recently started using.

The reason given for having to pay up-front was that in the past they had a lot of no-shows. Nice little paid city-break, I guess. As usual a small number of people have ruined it for the rest of us.

Jiraiya
1st Jul 2010, 22:39
What does the JCAB ATPL involve? Is it hard as a JAR ATPL?

Absolutely
2nd Jul 2010, 02:57
Jiraiya,
You do 2 sim checks in your training here. The first one is the Type Rating Check. The second one is called your ATPL Check. You then get issued your Japanese ATPL.
You DO NOT have to do ATPL theory (assuming you already have an ATPL issued by another country that they accept). The only written exams you do are Japanese Air Law, 767 Systems and a radio exam. The radio exam was written back in the 50's by the look of it and it's a complete waste of time but it is a requirement!

Jiraiya
2nd Jul 2010, 09:23
Thanks for your reply. So when they say 6-7 months training, does that include line training?

Absolutely
2nd Jul 2010, 09:39
Yes, things have sped up a lot! If you're lucky you might finish everything in 7 months! Nothing happens quickly in Japan.

Jiraiya
2nd Jul 2010, 09:47
Thanks again.

I'm seriously considering applying, but will wait and see how the current situation with my current airline evolves.

yankiwi
2nd Jul 2010, 12:52
Well, I'll be the first then to tell a story of being cheated out of the ticket cost.

I had my interview canceled less than 24 hours before I was due to fly to Japan, reason given was failure to follow the rules of booking the ticket. The story is a bit long and complicated, but here it is in a nutshell.

The process they use, where you must find your own ticket then get it approved by ANA, does not work well with online ticket vendors that generally offer the best prices, it takes too long. I found a suitable ticket, had it approved, which took several days, then went to book it after approval only to find it was no longer available. Back and forward with the agency for 5 days discussing other options, including having an ANA ticketing office start looking for flights, all the time I kept checking the online site for my original ticket. It comes back as available, so I book it and notify the agency, they are happy. All sorted then right?? No. Over the next week or so ANA decide I have not followed the rules and booked a non approved ticket, which is not the case, I just booked it 5 days after it was approved. Interview canceled less than 24 hours prior to departure. No discussion on the topic from ANA, even when presented with documentation showing it has been handled as per their rules. End result, I'm left with a useless ticket and out the $$$. Received a 'tough luck' initial response from the agency, with a statement that the airline is very picky about the details and sometimes makes strange decisions. Went further up the ladder and received an apology of sorts from an agency rep, but no $$.

So be careful.

Some factors that made my situation harder were a lack of flights between my departure city and Tokyo that met their requirement to use ANA for part of the trip. This gave me very few options to get there. Frustratingly my current employer flies direct, and I could go in F class for cheap, but had to buy an economy ticket with an inconvenient layover in China to meet their ticket requirements... Lesson learned, my first and last experience with putting up my hard earned money for a job opportunity.

Fratemate
5th Jul 2010, 03:06
Mate, that's unfortunate and I sympathise with your loss of $$$ but why on earth did you bother with the on-line 'comparing' agents? Where did the paperwork say you had to get the cheapest ticket from a bucket shop?

When you are asked to get your own ticket you are asked to use ANA if possible. You said you had to make a connection in order to do this, so why didn't you find the return ticket to the ANA-served airport and just book both using the direct websites, instead of flylatebutcheap.com? You'd get the money back and nowhere do they ask you to move heaven and earth to get here, just buy an economy ticket. You may well have been able to use the direct flight offered by your current employer but did you ask? I was allowed to do that, even though ANA had a direct flight too :bored:

In summary, they are not asking you to do anything but book your own economy ticket and use ANA is possible. No need for cheapo websites because you're going to get your money back, so it's not your pocket you're dipping into. It is, however, an important lesson to us all how anally retentive the Japanese are when it comes to following the letter, to the letter. Individual thought, common sense and initiative is not allowed in Japan. They are robots and you, too, must be a robot whilst working for them. This = follow what is written and not use your brain to get it cheaper for them/you :rolleyes:.

yankiwi
5th Jul 2010, 09:32
Just to clarify a few things Fratemate so those following can be aware... I realize there is a long history of guys buying tickets and being refunded no problem, I'm not trying to rubbish the airline but I want to let people know it doesn't always go to plan.

There is more to my story, I don't feel like giving the exact info on a public website but I will try and expand a bit...

I didn't try and use a cheapo compare website. I used a reputable online travel service, one I've used many times before as there are no competent travel agents in my part of the world. They built me an acceptable ticket, with suitable connections which were guaranteed, if I had used the direct websites of two different airlines this would not be possible etc. By saying online agents have better prices I mean this for example, the ticket I paid for was $1200USD, my next option was over $5000 and involved me flying the wrong way 6 hours then getting on ANA for a long haul arriving 8pm the night before my interview. Now I wasn't trying to be cheap or difficult, but I'm not new to aviation either and I've seen people lose $$ before so I wanted to minimize my risk, and I'm glad I did. Yeah sure, its not 'my' money as they are supposed to pay it back, but it definitely came out of my bank account, so that is MY money until I'm refunded.

For me, there was no 'use ANA if possible'. It was stated I HAD to use them for as much of the journey as possible. This created a major hassle to get reasonable connecting flights, but I did.

I offered to make my own way on my current airline, at no cost to ANA. Immediately denied... reason given was they have too many no shows that way, and by spending my $$ to buying a ticket I show commitment. True story!

You are correct Fratemate, that 'all they are asking is you book your own economy ticket', and if I was in OZ or west coast USA it would be a simple affair, but I'm not and the approval process where by you go through the agency then they ask ANA etc etc is slow, and if your given short notice like I was, be aware they will not give you any leeway.

Keep in mind I followed the process, met all the ticketing requirements etc, yeah it was a pain in the behind but I still got it done, just took 5 days, yet apparently that was not acceptable so what can ya do???

northeast canuck
5th Jul 2010, 20:53
Yankiwi,

What happened to you is appalling. And it should stand out as a warning to anyone considering going to an interview. Personally, I found the whole back-and-forth business of getting fares approved before booking them to be awkward, to say the least, and I was always a bit concerned that I might do something slightly wrong during the process. But I never thought that I wouldn't get the money (or even the interview). I have to say though, it does all sound a bit strange using anything other than just the ANA online booking portal - that's all I did, and yes it did involve flying several hours in the wrong direction to get to the closest ANA port, but that's what they wanted.

For anyone considering going to ANA, just to give you an idea of HOW ridiculous the process can get, I was asked to fly all the way back to Japan to re-do a medical check, as there was apparently a problem with my vision. It turned out that my 'problem' was the fact that I had a western nose, which is bigger than the average Japanese (but not unusually big, in fact I don't think my nose is any bigger than anyone else's). My visual field test was a problem as a result as there are two 'dents' in the corner of each field where the nose blocks that part of my vision. Apparently Japanese visual fields are more oval. I couldn't believe I had just gone all that way to find out that this was the 'problem'. And to top it off, the doctor had to REALLY THINK HARD about whether or not it would pass the JCAB medical before deciding that it was OK but 'borderline'.

That was over a month ago. Since then, I have heard nothing. Not. A. Thing. All I can say is that the earlier comment about the lack of common sense in Japan is an understatement to say the least.

Ganbare
6th Jul 2010, 04:31
Yankiwi,

The kind of anal-retentive detailing you described is your 5 month ANA training in a nutshell. The kind of :ugh: "training" at the hands of ANA is truly beyond belief. Maybe it sounds hollow but perhaps you'll be better off in the long run in a company where sanity and the normal laws of logic apply. Good luck to you.

meguro
6th Jul 2010, 07:32
I used to support people applying to come here and gave helpfull advice about working for ANA. Not anymore. It is not the same place, since the pay cuts started and cheap, cheap ass tickets issues came up, I can't recommend it any longer. The lasy guy to contact me chose KAL instead of Japan based on the days off 'shafting' and the commute ticketing problems.
We also have a private forum set up, now that's some colorfull reading!

Unfortunately, it's all down hill from here, we're getting bizarre memos about scarred hearts and worshiping the 767. Although ANA has been around for a long time the AJX/V's haven't and it is evident that it is in it's infancy. The AJX model now will start at about 1950's Panam and grow in maturity from there. You have to understand, even the Japanese outside of ANA think that they are childish and weird. It's a pity their behavior is so costly to people considering coming here.

Another common scenario, is they change managers and Japanese staff all the time, they get cycled through AJX/V. So, all of the lessons have to be re-learn't everytime. "my order", "company order", "you must" There is nothing quite like the blank face of a scheduler when you say no, I am not doing it. "But...But...company order..."

I would say morale is about as low as I have seen it.

I wouldn't say my heart is scarred, I'd say my pocket hurts and I don't like working extra days for free.

Jiraiya
8th Jul 2010, 22:03
Ouch, I'm having second thoughts in applying. :sad:

So basically, things will only get worse.:confused:

Fratemate
9th Jul 2010, 02:19
I'm sure someone in the office has an idea of how they can piss us off a bit more but I have no idea what little scheme they have up their sleeves. A few months ago you had two perfectly happy groups of pilots. There was so little complaining that it was totally unlike flying for any airline and even the Japanese were content, as harmony abounded.

Then, two years late, they decided to cut costs. Combining the freight and pax flying and, rather than rasing the pax deal to the freight deal, they cut the AJV pilots' days off and (in the case of captains) their salaries. Now they're penny pinching with the commuting tickets and severely pissing off the Yanks by insisting on ANA flights (and no codeshares) and forcing the pilots to often spend another day in Japan because they arrive back too late from a trip to take the ANA flights, which depart before the codeshare flights.

Factor in the pax guys now having to fly freight and, even worse, the freight guys having to fly bloody passengers around (including a ridiculous 'conversion' course) and you've got a lot of unhappy pilots around. The agencies have all been a total waste of space. They would rather kowtow to ANA and not upset them, rather than support the terms and conditions of the pilots and risk being dropped as agents for ANA. So, we have to rely on the goodwill of the 'management' and the hard work and bartering skills of our Scheduling Committee.

It wouldn't be so bad if they were serious about saving money but they are complete dicks at the whole process. They save a few Yen by cutting down on air conditioning (and, thereby, having sweat-stained aircrew going off to work), cutting our wages and making us (not ANA Mainline of course) work more days and then they go and piss it all up the wall with amazingly stupid fuel policies, decisions to dispatch aircraft when they are going to end up diverting back home and various other inane choices that anyone serious about saving money would never suggest.

It is still the best contract around for commuting, given they get you where you want to go, rather than the nearest airport served by the Company and the guys (and girl) are, in general, great to fly with and spend time with when off duty. However, things are definitely not what they were just a few months ago and I have no idea if Spud and his ilk are planning on making matters worse. I think for many (me included), just one more degradation in the conditions will be enough to push us over the top and we'll actually go elswhere, rather than just talk about it.

Is it worth coming to AJX? Well, that all depends what you're doing now (obviously). The aircraft are the best maintained you will find anywhere in the World. Your fellow pilots are a fine bunch and the rosters are not difficult. However, you're away from home every day of your working block i.e. no going home when you finish an early trip, no being at home on standby and, to top it all, you're in Japan. Sushi, noodles and the endless robotic dedication to the Company gets very old very quickly and no amount of initial delight at the culture and customs can make up for that.

Jiraiya
10th Jul 2010, 16:19
It seems it's an airline's instinct to become penny wise pound foolish, nowadays.

I thought that for commuting purposes you were given an allowance and get to Japan how you please, or am I getting it all wrong?

I personally, am fed up of living in an island and working in a company that has no future at all. Been with the company for 7 years now, if I'm lucky I might get a chance for command in ten years, if the company is still here :*. Very badly paid, and disrespected. It's a crappy island.

Fratemate
11th Jul 2010, 01:44
I thought that for commuting purposes you were given an allowance and get to Japan how you please

You can either have a $2000 allowance OR you can have C class (Business) tickets to your home. Some people take the $2000, get ZED tickets and then keep the change. Obviously, they will have to sort themselves out if the standby tickets don't work out for some reason e.g. service cancelled and the airline fills up the aircraft our ZED commuter was planning on using. AJX doesn't have a huge number of ZED partners you can use but it seems to have sufficient options, thus far, for most people.

I always use the C class ticket and accept the fact that I don't profit from the allowance. I enjoy knowing I have a ticket on the date that I want to fly and don't need to stress about loads and whether or not I'll get on. One great feature is you get to keep the loyalty points of your airline, which can be useful later on when you want to get some 'free' tickets.

You are able to change on a monthly basis and some guys do. When the loads are low and they can basically guarantee they'll get on, some pilots will take the ZED option and, when the loads start to get worse e.g. Oz Summer, they will take the C class option.

As I said previously, it is still the best commuting contract around but I'm waiting to see how they piss us off with their penny pinching ideas. At the moment they are talking about only having 6 return ZED tickets on ANA per year. I mean, what the hell are they thinking :ugh:They actaully make some profit for the Company when they'd travel with otherwise empty seats and they're talking about restricting the privileges of being able to use standby tickets. See what I mean about them being complete muppets in their all out war to be seen to be doing something to save money; even if it does piss people off and achieve the square root of bugger all :rolleyes:.

Jiraiya
11th Jul 2010, 13:52
Thanks for the info. I myself like to travel safe, the last time I used ZED tickets I ended up paying sourly, not to mention the fact they get the chance to treat you like trash.

So how is it you're operating since AJV/AJX merged? I mean how would a typical roster look?

Uniforms, recurrencies and medicals are they taken care by the employer or by the individual?

The Dominican
11th Jul 2010, 18:54
So how is it you're operating since AJV/AJX merged? I mean how would a typical roster look?

Good question, we don't even know yet. Not until early next year:ugh:

Uniforms, recurrencies and medicals are they taken care by the employer or by the individual? Yesterday 20:44

The company does.

Jiraiya
12th Jul 2010, 22:23
:oh:

So you got no clue of what's going to happen? :eek:

How does your actual roster go, in terms of flying hours and rest? Do you get paid extra per extra Off day taken as work?

Fratemate
13th Jul 2010, 00:59
Jiraiya,

No, at the moment we don't know for sure how the rosters will eventually be designed, since the AJV & AJX have only been combined for 13 days. As it stands, we'll basically be carrying on doing what we did before the merger i.e. freight guys doing freight and pax, pax. Gradually they'll 'convert' us (kicking and screaming) from cargo to people and then they'll probably start dual rostering. It MAY be they schedule month on cargo, month on pax. It MAY be they integrate the cargo flights with pax flights at the same destinations. The Japanese MAY have an idea how they want to play it but they haven't yet shared that information and they seem quite happy to let things run along as usual.

Their scheduling is not effecient but it may become moreso. Typically, on the cargo side of things, we fly around 450-500/year. Sometimes the 24 hour rest requirement every 7 days is taken downroute but most of the time it is in NRT. Apart from that, standard rest rules are in place but you'll normally get longer because of the rotation of the aircraft to your nightstop.

When you are in Japan you work. When you have days off you go home. We DO NOT sell our days off to the Company, so do not even consider such ridiculous notions. Start playing around with fire like that and (a) you'll cock everything up for everybody else and (b) find you're Mr Unpopular Of AJX and all that that would entail. Just stick to the contract and don't try any smart-arse deals in order to get a few more $$$s.

The contract DOES allow for some form of extra payment if you fly over 70 hours in the month but I've never come anywhere close to that, so I really cannot speak as an authority on it.

Don,

We've got 3/4 guys who are married to Japanese girls and they have their time off, for the most part, in Japan. They obviously enjoy the advantage of having standby days at home (instead of a hotel) and, when they get back off a trip early, they have the rest of that day to do things people would normally do around their house (unlike being in a hotel). I could never live in Japan and I really am ready to go home at the end of each work block. I do enjoy the social life we get to spend when in Japan, with both locals (especially one or two of the very pretty locals) and non-locals but, as you implied, as employers they would test the patience of a saint.....and I'm definitely not one of those ;).

Jiraiya
13th Jul 2010, 07:11
Hi Fratemate,

Someone mentioned, that he doesn't like working extra days for free, thought that you'd get to work extra and won't get paid for it. :yuk:

So what was the Major difference between a pax roster and a cargo roster? And what about the conditions?

Besides, what is so awful about the Japanese system?

Fratemate
13th Jul 2010, 08:36
Okay mate, see where you're coming from and where the confusion lies regardiing days off and $$s. Basically, the cargo side of things got 11 days off per month and the pax, 10 days off. As a result of this fantastic merger and no support from the agencies, complete apathy from the majority of the pax guys (with some exceptions) and some very unspirited responses of support from the cargo pilots, we've ended up reducing from 11 days off to 10 days off per month and, for captains, a reduction in salary of about $500/month. This is all so we're 'in line' with the pax guys, never mind bringing them up :rolleyes: Anyway, the comment regarding working a day off for free was reflecting the extra day off we will be giving up for no gain and, in the captains' case, a loss of $$s.

The cargo pilots fly mostly by night, the pax pilots by day; that is essentially the difference. If you're in Japan for 20 days then expect 2 or 3 of those to be off in NRT. You'll have 1 or 2 standby days and, possibly sims etc. The trips tend to be nightstops, although there are some trips where you'll be away for 4-6 days. FOr instance, a trip could be NRT-HKG-OKA...nightstop OKA.....OKA-HKG-NRT. Or DH NRT-HND. Fly HND-OKA-ICN...nightstop ICN.....ICN-OKA-NRT. For the 16-17 days you'll be rostered to fly, of your 20 days in country, your schedule will be pretty much full of such trips. There is a fair bit of deadheading but not nearly as much as there used to be. However, standby for HND's new runway being opened and we may well find a lot more of our trips being flown from there and more sitting in coaches/taxis.

Enough has been said about the Japanese system in this thread. Look back over it and make your own mind up. Good thing at the moment is it's Summer and the lovely Japanese girls cannot get skirts short enough :}

Jiraiya
13th Jul 2010, 11:35
:8 Been there a few weeks ago when temperatures were in the low 20's (C), and they were already :} But let's get a little more serious :E

The operations seem to be quite easy going. I'll go through the thread again and see how the Jap system works, personally I don't think I can get any worse.

Thanks for your help.

saviboy
31st Jul 2010, 05:44
hey guys,
I m trying to figure out if this job would be too harsh on my relationship or not.
I understand it s impossible to get a visa to reside in japan.
i read a previous post in which somebody was suggesting that wives could get a english teaching job thereby getting a visa. by extension the pilot could get legal residence in japan.
Is that the only solution?
have some of you guys found solutions to limit the damage it maight cause on your relationship?

thanks

gtseraf
1st Aug 2010, 01:28
Saviboy

If you already have doubts about your relationship, then I think you have your answer.

A job that has you away from your loved ones/family for 2/3 (or 66%) of your life is far from ideal. It's a severe test of a relationship and even the strongest relationship struggles to survive.

Byobeer
5th Aug 2010, 17:20
Hi Guys,

Have looked through the thread looking for current monthly wage with no luck. Anyone care to post the current T&C's. Would be most appreciated

Cheers

The Dominican
6th Aug 2010, 05:01
Available Positions Through Crew Resources Worldwide (http://www.crewresourcesworldwide.com/positions.htm)

169west
1st Sep 2010, 06:50
Hopefully this plan will not affect the ANA pilots recruitment plan! Anybody with positive info on that? Thanks

JAL files aggressive restructuring plan; 16,000 workers, 103 aircraft to be cut by March 2011 | ATW Online (http://atwonline.com/airline-finance-data/news/jal-files-aggressive-restructuring-plan-16000-workers-103-aircraft-be-cut-?cid=nl_atw_dn)

big white bird
1st Sep 2010, 14:40
It won't, but the explanation is too lengthy for my time of night.

Someone else will perhaps spend more time telling you why.

There are other issues, though, and someone might expand on them...

Hobbit
5th Sep 2010, 10:42
169 west, pilots are generally thought to be individuals who can make good decisions based on information available. A bunch of people have explained some of the issues presently affecting the AJX workforce. If you are so docile that you cannot read then apply for the job and accept the inevitable consequences!
People here are far too polite explaining the ongoing problems at the airlines that they work for, caveat emptor is designed for consumers, and you potentially are one. If you want a job here research it, otherwise don't post stupid questions that result in repetitive strain injusry for the poor soul who takes the time to respond to your oft answered question.
Thank you

169west
5th Sep 2010, 12:51
Hobbit
他人を尊重する方法についてはレッスンのおかげで

Capt Coco
5th Sep 2010, 16:44
169west, the press articles you attached/refer to, I don't think will have much affect on ANA pilot recruitment.
ANA have had their crewing numbers and plans in place for a while, the health or lack there of, of JAL hasn't seemed to have changed the recruiting urgency at ANA at all!!

Byobeer
5th Sep 2010, 20:33
Thanks for the link. Can anyone comment on the time to command for experienced pilots and the change in pay.

Many thanks

ExpressCa
6th Sep 2010, 02:08
Just like byobeer,

I am also very interested to know upgrade time based on attrition, new aircraft deliveries, merger, future expansion.

I do understand its hard to tell but I would like to know you guys best educated guess.

Thanks in advance!

VONKLUFFEN
6th Sep 2010, 03:06
Why dont you go back into your book or planet and join all the characters of the "LORD OF THE RINGS" back again. I think there is where you belong. Not here in our comunity where gents communicate to gents in a rationl way. Inside your book you wont have to answer nor read 'stupid' questions. The only thing you have to do is BE a Hobbit. No need to impress anyone with your inteligence :eek::sad::confused::p

Martin VanNostrum
6th Sep 2010, 03:07
I have been here for nine (long) years. With any job you will have plus and minus points. I guess you just have to decide if the plus points are enough for you; or the minus points are too many.

Until the very badly handled 'merger', both by the Japanese and the contract companies, of AJV and AJX into the 'New AJX' there were two fairly happy pilot groups each doing their own thing. Both groups are still doing their own thing together, however there seems to be no direction or any lead from the Japanese to where things are going or how. I get the feeling on the freight side that we are looked upon as the 'poor cousins'.

As for upgrade from COP to Captain. It has thus far begun around 3-4 years from date of joining the ANA group. Some got it earlier. However with the merger and some failures this looks like increasing to beyond the 3-4 years.

On the plus side the pay is not bad and increases. The business class travel is good for some and not for others (depends where you live). ZED travel is adequate. The chance to travel to different countries on days off, or live in different countries, is great.

Commuting jobs are ok for some people and not for others. Think hard about this aspect of the job.

Over the years I have thought about leaving for other airlines; but in my case the plus points for staying here were always more than the minus ones.

Hope this helps.

Byobeer
8th Sep 2010, 07:46
Thanks for the info. Is it true that you can use 2 days of your leave
each month to extend you days off ?

Also any chance of an example of a regular roster.

Many thanks in advance.

Byobeer

Martin VanNostrum
8th Sep 2010, 08:15
Yes you can add 2 days annual leave to your days off per month. You can also split your days each month and take, for example, 7 days off and then 5 days off (10 days per month plus 2 days A/L).

As far as a sample average roster, there isn't one. The cargo boys are still flying a cargo roster and the passenger boys and girl, are still flying passenger rosters. In March next year the roster will be joined and all pilots will fly one roster of both passenger and freight flights. That's the plan anyway.

Then the roster should have all pilots flying an average of say 70 hours per month of mixed passenger and freight flights; with a couple of standby days and a couple of blank days (basically a day 'free of duty', but company can change roster and use that day if required). Again this is the 'plan'. Plans change here somewhat frequently.

Needout
8th Sep 2010, 16:10
Any idea for what classes guys currently screening might see if successful?

Martin VanNostrum
8th Sep 2010, 22:47
Sorry I have no idea of that. With the major airlines in the USA starting to recall pilots on furlough rumour has it several pilots here will return to the USA.

I would guess (and that's all it is) that they would need to be replaced so courses would have to start sooner rather than later. I would contact whatever contract company you are using to try to get an answer. You will find them quite useless though.

fiftypercentn1
9th Sep 2010, 08:50
maybe this is why they are accepting applications for DEC again?

Fratemate
9th Sep 2010, 09:52
50%, don't be daft. The reason why they're talking about accepting DECs again is because, apparently, there are not enough pilots applying for FO positions. 'Why not?', I hear you cry. Well, thanks to the all-knowing Mr Potato Head we now know the answer. It's got nothing to do with time away, salary reductions for the cargo guys, nor the fewer days off. No; it's all because they don't want to fly 'older' B767s.

Unbelievable and that's the mentality we've got to deal with :rolleyes:

The Dominican
9th Sep 2010, 15:23
it's all because they don't want to fly 'older' B767s.

Maybe something got lost in translation because I think the reason is because they don't want to fly with the old crusty dogs that are flying the 76's:E

azlee_19
10th Sep 2010, 17:56
got lots of Fo's i knew who really wanted to apply but had to forget it because of Jet PIC requirement.

Me myself, FO with 4000++ jet hrs, no PIC at all, when will they abolish the PIC requirement or its always traditionally been the rules of recruitment in Japan?

The Dominican
11th Sep 2010, 00:26
got lots of Fo's i knew who really wanted to apply but had to forget it because of Jet PIC requirement.

Me myself, FO with 4000++ jet hrs, no PIC at all, when will they abolish the PIC requirement or its always traditionally been the rules of recruitment in Japan?

Not sure what you are talking about, there is no Jet PIC requirement for F/O's.

Here are the requirements as published on the CREW website:

First Officers:

Total Flight Time in excess of 3,000 hours
Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1,000 hours; (competitive: 2000 hours commercial airline jet experience)
250 hrs. PIC
100 hrs. PIC Cross Country
200 hrs. Cross Country
100 hrs. Night Flight
75 hrs. Instrument Flight

Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating

Valid ICAO ATPL with English Proviciency Endorsement (Level 4 and higher)
Current Class One Medical

As you can see, it specifies Commercial Jet Time in excess of 1,000 hours but it doesn't say anywhere it is PIC, Are you confusing the requirements for Captains perhaps? Now, you do need a type rating but it doesn't say that you need PIC time on it. The 250 hours PIC that you see there is over your career (Cessna's and Indians)

Now those are minimums mind you

Absolutely
12th Sep 2010, 07:31
Dominican, I think he's talking about the jet Command Rating! Some countries only have an FO rating if you are not a Captain. Easy enough to get though, takes a couple of sim rides.

azlee_19
14th Sep 2010, 16:24
Hey Dominican

Sorry i was away so the late reply.

75 hrs. Instrument Flight
Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating <--------

As pointed out by Absolutely, this was what i meant by Jet PIC. My License clearly said i am only rated as co-pilot (P2) on my a/c types.

fiftypercentn1
16th Sep 2010, 10:00
I might be wrong but I think this requirement comes from the JCAB, not the company. So they cannot change it even if they wanted.
As someone says anyway the limitation is pretty easy to get rid of,not sure about your Authority but in most countries a sim session should solve the problem.

skmarz
23rd Sep 2010, 17:05
Not sure why it has disappeared but when you click on their ad on the APC website it still says "actively recruiting" and you can click to apply, FWIW.

Try this link...

Crew Resources Worldwide (http://www.crewresourcesworldwide.com/)

Aerodmb
7th Nov 2010, 16:11
Any updates on this contract with ANA/Air Japan?

Howzitchina
10th Nov 2010, 13:46
Can anyone please comment on their recent interview experience (their main focus, tech q's, hr q's), and how the medical compares to for example US standards?

dogtired
18th Nov 2010, 11:31
Does anyone on the inside have any news. This was an extremely active fourum, now quiet. Seems the employment has also gone quiet. (perhaps related to electrical fire on B787 :cool:)

Aerodmb
19th Nov 2010, 00:28
I'm meeting with Crew on Saturday so I'll try and get some info.

Fratemate
19th Nov 2010, 03:55
To be honest guys, nothing has changed. The cargo capts are gradually getting 'checked out' to fly pax and the cago & pax FOs are flying both. They are waiting until April, when the terms and conditions of both groups become the same, and then we'll see the pax capts flying cargo and more pax flying for the cargo guys. There will, no doubt, then be a mini-revolution. The cargo guys will probably continue to fly mostly cargo and the pax pilots will fly a fair bit of cargo. Without the extra day off (and the $500/month extra for capts), there is no incentive to fly the less attractive cargo schedule and I reckon people will then make their feelings known :suspect:

The commute, especially for the Americans, has become more difficult. With the 'office' insisting on ANA flights, when available, many of the US pilots are missing the early flight and having to travel on the first of their days off. Also, when connecting in the US, the Company will no longer buy business class domestic seats because they're sold as 'First Class' and that's not what the agreement says. Never mind that many domestic airlines don't have 'Business Class' or, when they do, it's the equivalent of economy in the rest of the World; because the business standard is called 'First' they are not buying the tickets.

The merger of the two offices has certainly had a negative effect on the job. The family atmosphere has gone and it is a less friendly environment, courtesy of one or two of the office managers. The pax flying has more midnight/early morning flying. They are trying to improve the scheduling of the cargo flights to best utilise the OKA turnrounds but it is having limited success. In all, though, the flying is still pretty good compared to many places around the globe.

Of course, the strong Yen is murdering the pay and, unless you live in Yankville, the crap US $ is also murdering the take-home pay and that has certainly been a consideration for some that were thinking of joining and haven't.

Recruitment, however, continues as before. They've had a few roadshows and had some positive feedback from those but I don't think they are holding their breath too much. With a bit of luck, people will vote with their feet and we can get the salary upped, the days off increased to 11 for ALL pilots and the commuting sorted out (to how it was before the merger). A couple of pilots have left and one or two are thinking about taking their place back in the States from furlough. This may well be the catalyst we need and that will be good for all potential pilots too.

Overall then, no real change for the screening or requirements to join. Once in, it's not as good as a year ago but there is potential for it to get better, especially with the profits that ANA are now raking in :)

galdian
20th Nov 2010, 06:58
Fratemate

Great update to say the least.

I admire your optimism that certain pressures may make ANA have to up the ante in some areas - however logic (and history) indicates that when the T&C's in the airline game go down....they don't bounce back.

The game in Nihongo-land has changed hugely in the last 12-18 months, it's not that the airlines here have got their sh*t together or anything like that - just that JAL finally acknowledging the bleeding obvious means finally a supply of experienced, qualified pilots (any questions of their professionalism, ability or "concept of a big picture" etc etc is a very separate topic altogether) has changed the gaijin landscape for all airlines in Japan.

To finish on a funny - Skymark and A380's ??? :p:p:p:p:p

And some say the Japanese have no sense of humour! :ok:

Cheers
galdian

JAYTO
21st Nov 2010, 23:03
Gday Fratemate,

Please check your PM

Thanks

Jayto

matador15
23rd Nov 2010, 01:21
Aerodmb

How did it go??

Fratemate
24th Nov 2010, 01:21
Hello,
I’m also closely considering Air Japan. After reading most of the ANA thread, I believe this could be one of the best contract jobs available. Seems like a great company, and an exciting place to live (even if only for a few days each month).

Fratemate, Dominican, you guys have been major contributors of good, seemingly first-hand, information and I was hoping you would be able to answer a few more questions.

1/ Given the current dynamics of aviation in Japan, JAL’s collapse and the surplus of experienced local pilots, etc., Do you think that ANA will soon be able to fulfil its recruitment needs domestically, eliminating the need for contract expats?

2/ Has ANA renewed any contracts after completion, if so, is it performance based or merely a matter of staffing requirements at the time?

3/ What is the general attitude towards the expat pilot group, I mean, is there a sense of belonging “part of the family,” or are foreign pilot’s reminded that they are temporary help?

4/ Parc states that first officers may have the chance to upgrade within the first five years. Is this the reality, and is there a company preference, or drive to promote locals ahead of foreigners?

That’s it for now. Any help you guys can give is truly appreciated. I know the interview, and training would require a full effort, so I’m trying to get all the facts first,
Again, much thanks in advance.
CF-34

1. My PERSONAL opinion is that contract pilots will be required in AJX (and others) in the future. We've already seen evidence that ANA have neither been forced by the Government to take JAL pilots, nor have the ANA unions welcomed the JAL guys with open arms. There is expansion in Japan, despite the woes of JAL. Skymark have absorbed some of the JAL pilots and the new LCCs will employ both ex-JAL and non-Japanese contract pilots. Add in the fact that we're slowly returning to an aviation world of ops-normal, where Japan does not have enough pilots to crew its aircraft, plus the retirement bulge that is starting to burst, I reckon contact pilots are here to stay. (Cue the bs of Devine Wind).

2. Yes, contracts have been renewed and, I'm reliably informed, they will continue to be so. Clearly staff numbers will be a big consideration but, seeing as they're constantly recruiting, that doesn't seem to be significant. They save 6-7 months of training a new guy by keeping an existing one and that equals money, experience in their operation and a trained bum on the line (no, I don't mean that using the American vernacular). Not all contracts have been renewed but they are few and far between and seem to have been more down to non-flying reasons, rather than merit or performance on the line.

3. With very few exceptions, the Japanese pilots that are seconded to AJX, from ANA, are great guys, enjoy working with us round-eyes and are a pleasure to fly with. I have always been shown great respect by them and I get the feeling they are grateful to me for being there and helping their company. I certainly do not get the feeling of being an outsider and it is truly a shame that AJV have been merged because our Boss there made it known (especially during his sake speeches) that we were his "AJV family". Away from the office and in town we have a good time..........I think I'll leave it there ;)

4. There are no locals to promote ahead of foreigners. With the exception of the seconded ANA pilots (all of whom are captains), the drivers of AJX's aircraft are contract pilots and, therefore, all foreigners, even the Japanese ones that are on contract :) What Parc says has certainly been true in the past. At around the 3 year point, FOs start to get assessed and around 3.5 years they do their upgrade training/checking. Things have changed a bit, as a result of the merger, and there is certainly a state of flux at the moment. It will all get sorted out pretty soon but, as you can imagine, we've merged lists and now have some pilots that are still pax or cargo only, plus those who can do both, plus the cargo terms & conditions exist as they are until April, so pax captains aren't flying cargo but they are the other way round etc etc etc. The most significant part of this is trying to sort out the merging of the FOs list. There is no seniority as such, so dates of joining, ages in the class etc must be considered so it's fair to all. Once the dust has settled they'll better be able to see what they need in terms of upgrades and things will smooth out again. All this having been said, my personal opinion is that upgrades may not happen in the first contract in the future. I say this for three reasons, in no particular order: (a)we are top heavy and this is not good for the Company salary bill, in a company that is trying to make savings (nor is it that much fun when you're seat swapping all the time....but that's not a significant reason) (b)by virtue of the shear number of FOs that have yet to upgrade and the length of the training process, I reckon if you joined now and had to wait your turn, by the time the current incumbents had finished training you'd almost be into your second contract, if not already on it (c)the Company are not so desperate for pilots at the moment, as they were a couple of years ago. With US pilots still flipping burgers etc, the Company has more choice and doesn't have to promise instant commands or commands in the near future in order to entice prospective candidates. This will, or course, change and in a good way for the future AJX FOs. The yanks will start taking back furloughed pilots, pilots will realise they'd rather get paid less flying in their home countries than commuting back and forth to Japan and AJX (and others) will have to 'up their game' again to get pilots in the aircraft. So, short answer, yes; that is the reality at the moment, so Parc aren't telling porkies BUT I think there will be a few years where the reality gets distorted and there will be a few FOs who don't get capt in their first contract.

Well, that's you well and truly bored, so I'm off to colour some charts and write notes on my Jepps.......nah, just kidding :}

easyflying
24th Nov 2010, 09:02
Anyone know what is the max BMI to get hired at ANA?

CF-34
24th Nov 2010, 20:39
Fratemate,
Thanks for opening the flood gates sharing all of that, great information and much appreciated! I’m just trying to determine if the position is stable, aside from occasional earthquakes, and if a career could be spent working for this company (although probably the wrong mindset for the vagabond contract pilot).

From your comments, and others on here, I gather most of you there are quite content with the conditions, company culture and QOL, which is really good to hear.
I’m going to start the online process with Parc tomorrow.
One last quick question, what is the combined fleet size now since the merger?

Cheers

gtseraf
24th Nov 2010, 23:02
cf

you say "From your comments, and others on here, I gather most of you there are quite content with the conditions, company culture and QOL, which is really good to hear.

I would be hesitant to say that.

The weak USD has caused a lot of concern/pain with budgets. Our costs in Japan have risen dramatically and, those non US residents are also feeling the pain.

The merger of the operations and the future schedules are a cause for concern as far as fatigue management goes.

Good luck with your decision

ratpoison
24th Nov 2010, 23:05
Fratemate, yet another excellent post. Appreciate your effort. :ok:

Bolshevik
24th Nov 2010, 23:08
Supposing you wanted to start with ANA, what are we looking at as far as actual training time in Country?

gtseraf
24th Nov 2010, 23:25
Give or take 8 to 10 months for the training, depending on type rating held and position (Cap/F/O)

During that time, expect to be able to return home once for around 3 weeks. Some have had more trips home during this time but that depends on circumstances so don't count on it.

jrmyl
25th Nov 2010, 00:26
I am taking my final check flight tonight to Hong Kong. I started on March 15th so it has been just over 8 months. I am an F/O who was non type rated. I was in Tokyo from March until September and went home for 3 weeks at that time. Been here in Narita since October 6th and go home November 28th. It has been a long, drawn out process.

I hope this info helps.

seeshoot
20th Dec 2010, 13:10
If any of you guys who are currently on contract to Air Japan has the time to answer a couple of questions I have about your working life there, I'd be grateful...

I've asked what you do to keep a JAR licence current. The answer was 'That's your own business..." So are you able to line-up a trainer & simulator to do an LPC without too much hassle (I'm UK based by the way).

What is the cost of accommodation in Japan? Given that AJX do not pay for accommodation costs unless you're on a trip and that you're not there half the time, is it practical or affordable to rent a flat / studio / room?

I am a candidate for screening next month & would appreciate any advice.

Thanks a lot.

Fratemate
21st Dec 2010, 05:07
I've asked what you do to keep a JAR licence current. The answer was 'That's your own business..." So are you able to line-up a trainer & simulator to do an LPC without too much hassle (I'm UK based by the way).

Do you have the 757/767 on your JAR licence? If you do then there's no need for anything like an instructor for an LPC. At licence renewal time you get a CAA Class 1 medical done and submit your logbook, which shows you are current on type on an aircraft on your JAR licence. Don't know how you go about getting the 757/767 on your JAR licence if you don't already but talk to FCL and they'll tell you. The LPC-type sim checks appear in your logbook, so the CAA can see you are current.

What is the cost of accommodation in Japan? Given that AJX do not pay for accommodation costs unless you're on a trip and that you're not there half the time, is it practical or affordable to rent a flat / studio / room?

Excel Hotel is JPY5775 per night. You are given an accomm allowance or $550/month (with additions for exchange rate literally just being introduced for Jan onwards). Pax guys spend more time in the hotel than cargo. A lot of the pax guys rent apartments between 2/3 of them. Some of the cargo guys do but fewer than the pax lot. It will take up all of your accomm allowance and then a bit more but some guys are willing to pay for the freedom it affords. Others prefer the hotel to do their laundry :) Horses for courses but it can and is done.

third floor whore
22nd Dec 2010, 02:47
For vision, I use glasses, and have them on my medical class 1.
I did the ANA medical in london, and passed... The ophamology is about 90 mins in itself, and they didn't seem to have a problem with glasses.

seeshoot
29th Dec 2010, 11:46
Thanks a lot Frate Mate. There's a lot to take into consideration when weighing-up the deal on offer & trying to decide whether you're going to be better off moving or sticking... As you say 'horses for courses'. I'm in a bit of a 'Flat Earth Society' position right now, which doesn't inspire me that much in itself. I hope that a move to Asia will help me fulfill my plans for global domination somewhat quicker.

If you're around Tokyo in late January when I'm supposed to be there for screening perhaps I can buy an Asahi & two straws (maybe not - depends on the exchange rate) & introduce myself...

89Pistons
30th Dec 2010, 06:24
I'm in a bit of a 'Flat Earth Society' position right now

will help me fulfill my plans for global domination somewhat quicker.

perhaps I can buy an Asahi & two straws

Classics!!!

seeshoot
6th Feb 2011, 20:54
I don't really know if it's the 'done thing' on this forum, but I really need to talk to someone who's doing this job already & is preferably UK based.

I came out to Tokyo at the end of January for the selection. At that time the ANA people found out a lot about me, but I didn't really have the chance to ask very much myself. I'm now waiting to hear in the next three weeks whether I've passed the medical check, before I know if a job offer is on its way.

The impression I formed is that AJX is a happy ship generally, where the company & colleagues treat each other with respect. The flying is interesting & varied. The fleet is young, well equipped, maintained & training standards high. So working life sounds satisfying. That's how you want to be thinking before you join a new company I suppose. There are still outstanding queries for me, e.g. commuting, medical checks, ground training, manuals, administration, flying hours, duty & rest periods, staff travel discounts, right-hand seat flying for captains, etc.

If there's anyone out there who is prepared to counsel a potential joiner about the life, perks & pitfalls of contracting for AJX, I'd really appreciate a chat right now. If a job offer arrives I'll obviously need to make my mind up quickly so am trying to think about it from all angles before that happens.

If you can help, please send me a private message here & I'll get back to you.

Cheers.

big white bird
8th Feb 2011, 00:34
arrived recently. left seat, now actively looking for another job. make of that what you will. reason i'm telling you is no-one answered the questions you're asking when i asked them. no-one mentioned how things really are. it may be because things were fine. i don't know. it may be because there's been an unprecedented deterioration in morale, working patterns and remunerative conditions. i don't know. what i do know is it isn't working out. pm me if you like. i'll figure out if you're genuine, or on a fishing trip. my immediate advice would be to stay where you are. or don't. only you know what's best.

ishi59
8th Feb 2011, 01:40
AJX was indeed a happy place until around 12 months ago. A combination of factors have contributed to the very low morale in the operation. Pilots are leaving or actively looking for other work, office staff are leaving. These are local Japanese people who find the new office regime unpleasant.

The word is out that applications are drying up and potential new hires are turning down the contracts on offer.

The merger which took place last year has caused a lot of uncertainty and the schedules are starting to get tiring, if not brutal.

Big white bird is worth listening to.

meguro
8th Feb 2011, 04:36
Seeshoot,
I can agree with most of what was said in the replies you received. You have to understand that, if you get an offer of a contract, it's quite meaningless because if ANA don't like it they will just cancel it and give you your 90 days notice.

Morale is at an all time low, we are being screwed on a daily basis with the schedule and admin changes that are Stalinist in the least.

The only way I can recommend coming here, is to have an out, have the opportunity to get back to where you were previously before the adventures of ANA.

ANA understands the problems, but they seem paralized to act, in the mean time pilots are leaving rapidly and no one is applying.

As jobs go, I would have rated it as an 8 out of 10, now I'd give it a 2 out of 10.

April will see Cargo pilots and Pax pilots flying the same roster, it looks a little ominous for a smooth combination.

As to what you were told in the interview about it all being a happy bunch of pilots and management working well together is false and absurd.

seeshoot
8th Feb 2011, 09:44
Hmmm, I see...

The good reports I'd heard were from the cabin crew on the ANA flight home after my interview. Those I spoke to told me how much happier they were at Air Japan than on mainline! I expected to get some contrasting views from somewhere - it's just that I didn't know who to ask.

This has been a long-standing vacancy with Parc & I'd heard very encouraging things about pay & conditions as well as morale there from a couple of years back. I'm not going to commit until I've had a good talk to one or two of you & am satisfied that, on balance, I'm going to be satisfied in 5 years' time.

So thanks all of you, I really value what you're saying & wish you all the best; whether things improve at AJX soon, or whether you find something better.

Hobbit
8th Feb 2011, 12:02
The reason that the number of posts dried up on here about this contract was that the conditions here changed radically.
Through the aircrew forums on the internet you should be aware of the punitive living costs in Japan. If you peruse this website you will also be able to make yourself familiar with ANA's propensity for dishonouring its contract obligations. For example the loss of business commuting to home in the US and the loss of pay for cargo pilots.
The duties imposed on the cargo pilots are already hideous and combined with the insult of reducing their pay and removing the additional day (to alleviate some of the fatigue) absentee rates have increased dramatically recently.
With the improvement in hiring in the USA, US pilots are taking the opportunity to go home as they become disenchanted with both the contract conditions and the loss of commuting priviliges which are an essential part of travelling half way around the world each month to go to work in their own time. In addition there has been a decrease in the number and quality of candidates applying from the US for the same reasons.
This double whammy will result in the remaining pilots working harder and becoming even more disenchanted! If you have a job it would probably be in your best interests to stay put!

seeshoot
8th Feb 2011, 17:10
Just to clarify - I didn't mean to imply that I'd been told that all is wonderful during the interview (which was very business-like, just not all that informative). Really, my own impressions so far have been more positive than negative, from remarks like "Generally all crews get on well. The Japanese pilots are very polite, respectful and mostly friendly", etc.

As I said earlier, thanks for your replies.

KZ747Pilot
9th Feb 2011, 03:48
They both suck and will try to screw you whenever they can. Once you're signed, they give two craps about you. Takes forever to get a response from them and they're very rude when you do. They are just looking for people to fill slots and make money. They are only looking out for their best interests and not yours.
This is only my opinion, but I'm sure if you spoke to all the pilot who use them, I'd say you get the same response from about 70% of them. Good luck with them.

Fratemate
9th Feb 2011, 10:07
Seeshoot,

PM me your Skype details (assuming you have it) and I'll give you a shout when I'm able to.

big white bird
13th Feb 2011, 07:05
short of the long is this:

the truth is out there, and it ain't pretty.

:confused: good luck.

Jiraiya
16th Feb 2011, 13:14
Anyone who's on a commuting contract, managed to get his family to live in Japan?

The Dominican
16th Feb 2011, 15:06
Anyone who's on a commuting contract, managed to get his family to live in Japan?

It is strictly a commuting contract and the company will not sponsor you or your family for an alien registration card; Some guys do live here (of sorts) either they are married to a Japanese lady or their better half gets a job that sponsors her independently from you, that sort of thing.

Jiraiya
16th Feb 2011, 15:37
Thanks for your reply. Atleast if my spouse gets a job, it's doable.

drewteh
21st Feb 2011, 10:35
Hi, anyone here has any information about the pilot recruitment ?

oldhasbeen
21st Feb 2011, 21:05
if yu can't find anything here in 32 pages....please don't bother:(

The Dominican
22nd Feb 2011, 00:16
Hi, anyone here has any information about the pilot recruitment ?

The plan for the fiscal year of 2011 is to run 4 classes of 8 in each class but if the attendance of the past two classes is a guide, they won't meet their hiring expectations for the year.

drewteh
22nd Feb 2011, 07:16
hi, so any suggestion from you? i'm a fresh grad pilot from msia actually.. looking for any recruitment

Jiraiya
22nd Feb 2011, 07:36
Is the situation so horribly bad? :\

Fratemate
22nd Feb 2011, 12:44
Drewteh,

Use some initiative and do some research on the contract agencies' sites regarding the requirements for this job. Failing that, look back through past pages of this thread where the information is instantly available, instead of expecting to be spoon-fed. Basically, this job is for experienced pilots but don't just take my word for it.

jav8r
23rd Feb 2011, 10:19
Drewteh,

To reiterate what Fratemate wrote, contract jobs are for experienced crew. Don't waste your time.

Suggest you try harder in your home country, Malaysia.

Jiraiya
25th Feb 2011, 17:19
Hi guys,

Anyone with a JAR Licence? How do you renew your JAR Licence every year?

Will the JCAB 767 Rating be accepted by the EASA?

Fratemate
26th Feb 2011, 07:17
See post 1243.

Jiraiya
26th Feb 2011, 09:25
Cheers that answers part of my question. I'll have to check with my local authorities regarding getting a non JAR type-rating.

dogtired
20th Mar 2011, 19:24
How do the current events in Japan affect ANA?

ishi59
26th Mar 2011, 00:14
nothing's changed, all is well, please enjoy your training!!:eek::}

gaijin
1st Apr 2011, 01:47
For those of you still interested in this contract you might like to know the latest. Since the catastrophic events that have affected Japan many of us have remained here working as normal. Some of our colleagues, for obvious reasons and with the Companies quasi-consent, have decided that the radiation risk is too high and have either stayed at home or returned to their domicile to await developments. The Company response has been two fold;
1. Those who want to leave or do not want to come back have been told that they can stay away on unpaid leave
2. Those who have stayed have been put on standby duties or blank days. If not prepared to stay in the Tokyo area they have been offered a free flight to Kansai, though all ground transportation, hotel charges and time involved in positioning are to be found by the crew member.
At the same time one of our fellow contracting airlines here in Japan is paying crew 'danger money' for helping out while the radiation threat is prevalent.
In the meantime PARC, our hardworking agency, has sent a mission to Japan to talk to ANA. Only through the detective work of one of our pilots was this secret mission brought to the attention of other crewmembers who then had to fight to organise a meeting with them which resulted in nothing! Many crew members are coming up to contract completion. Meanwhile we are in the invidious position of being mid-pay cut, which is now on hold, while the 'management' who have had a whole year to sort things out debate what needs to be done! Whilst the resentment grows in the contracting camp the Japanese mainline is losing almost 300 pilots per year, training about 50, trying to introduce a new aircraft type and start a LCC. I came from a mediocre job but would happily go back tomorrow to get away from this circus. The only good thing is that they are consistent just when you think the airline can't make things any worse the contracting company cuts your medical benefit or implies that your life insurance is invalid!
Happy days!!

Fratemate
1st Apr 2011, 03:09
organise a meeting with them which resulted in nothing

Maybe a bit harsh on the Parc guys there mate. I spoke to one of the pilots who attended the meeting and the impression I got was that Parc updated everyone with the latest situation, AJX's evacuation plans and Parc's evacuation plans, insurance etc and then went on to discuss the list of issues that were being 'looked at' prior to the earthquake. This list has been presented several times to AJX, both by Parc and Crew but AJX just seem to be frozen into inaction. It would seem the contract agencies, while not as frustrated as we are, are nevertheless banging their heads against a brick wall while trying to deal with some who don't have a clue. I'm sure the musical chairs that happens each year, with new ones in and old ones out will really help a lot........read sarcasm into that please.

I agree the Company has had a year to sort this out and they've done absolutely nothing worth speaking about. They've fiddled with the freight schedules, allegedly to try and reduce fatigue but it has done absolutely nothing and that has been the extent of their work on the integration and problem solving :*. They're so set in transiting through OKA with its ridiculous restrictions on landing times (so much for a 24 hour hub :rolleyes:) that they'll never solve the problem of trying to link flights AND ensure proper scheduling. The ONLY way to do it will be to base pilots in OKA (not necessarily permanently but on a weekly basis, for instance) and run the flights that way. However, they won't do that because (a)they didn't think of it in the first place, so won't lose face by considering it and (b)they are programmed to go in a straight line and cannot contemplate deviating....even if they are heading for a cliff.

The earthquake will now be used as an excuse for all delays and the failure to address the problems prior to it. They will continue to do their headless chicken act and make no decisions but now they can blame it on something they couldn’t control, so blamelessly passing the buck. The stupid thing is the earthquake has not affected any of the issues we had prior to it, so they’re not going to go away. It might seem selfish continuing to address those problems after such a catastrophic event but the wheel continues to turn. Guys will leave to go back to the States, others will go to other airlines in China etc if the deal is better (and even the Chinese are coming round to the idea of negotiating to attract) and those sitting on the fence will decide to stay at home if AJX don’t sort out the BIG stuff namely days off, money (with such a crap US$), scheduling (freighters) and commuting. This will, of course, lead to more scheduling problems etc and it becomes a self-sustaining, downward spiral. In the meantime we’ve got AJX ‘management’ staring rigidly at the headlights and unable to move because they are too scared to make decisions. They’ve already shown fantastic skills; a three month stay of execution for the existing freighter terms and conditions. Well whoppeee. What are they going to do next? Will they sort out the list of snags and restore the Company to where it was i.e. the best contract out? No, they’ll try extending again and again until they eventually piss everybody off so much that they do go back to the States, go to China, go to KAL etc .

Dogtired asked how the recent events have affected things in ANA. Well, the truth is they haven’t affected things very much at all. It is very true that pax numbers are down and they might be curtailing a few flights but they’ll start swinging back up once the foreign governments realise that it’s not as bad as they initially thought (and especially once they get the power station sorted out). My freight loads have been pretty normal and I’ve certainly not heard of others saying anything to the contrary. So we do have to ask ourselves how far we’re going to let the earthquake be used as an excuse for failing to sort out the pressing issues we had prior to it.

Meanwhile, to those considering coming, I say ‘wait’. Do not come here at the moment when there is so much indecision and change, as you might be signing up for a deal that could be quite different in the future. Hopefully they’ll get their act together, listen to what the contract agencies are telling them (as well as ‘us’ more vocal pilots on the line) and make things a LOT better and return it to the best contract job. If they don’t then stay in your own country and avoid having to deal with crap US$ rates, bad rostering for freight flying and the deterioration in the time you do get to spend at home.

Never thought I’d say that :hmm:

ratpoison
1st Apr 2011, 09:35
Thanks for the update gaijin and Fratemate. As usual, excellent information for the rest of us looking at the gig.
Cheers:ok:

big white bird
2nd Apr 2011, 21:43
"what he said"

parc did what they could.

i was there, and appreciate their input, time and effort.

japan is in a bad way; ajx, for its part, is in a very tender position.

it could go either way right now.

no downramping needed.

it's all true.

ask yourself if you need to be a part of that.

kudos to those who are here.

The Dominican
2nd Apr 2011, 22:00
Well I take the recent changes of key administration staff as a step in the right direction, we shall see.

Fratemate
3rd Apr 2011, 02:04
I'm not so sure TD. There's only one serious player that's moved on, the rest were inconsequential. I would have loved to have seen a certain potato-type person out of the equation, as he's still far too involved, too influential and too set in his own little agenda to do any good where he is, no matter how he might have been sidelined with a different desk position.