PDA

View Full Version : Air Japan (AJX) B767

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15

The Dominican
21st Sep 2019, 11:19
Also the upgrade is far from a given! We have folks that have been turned down for stupid reasons! Do people make it? Sure! Do some folks fail because they didn't put in the work? Sure! Do some of the checkers hate their lives because they were sent here from mainline against their will so they want to make sure you hate yours? Absolutely!

This is NOT something new, so don't act surprised.

Absolutely
22nd Sep 2019, 00:41
I wouldn't say it's a lottery.
In my experience a pilot who comes here with the attitude he/she knows everything and is going to teach the Japanese a thing or two about aviation will have major problems.
A pilot who comes here and accepts from day one that it's their airline, their rules and procedures (no matter how silly they seem), that they're in a foreign country and puts in a reasonable effort will generally succeed.
ATTITUDE is more important than anything else in Japan, no matter what you're doing.

Kraus
22nd Sep 2019, 05:27
It’s not a lottery.

Statistics are not not an accurate measurement, there are pilots that come here that have 99.9% prospect of passing and there are other with less than 50%. If you have struggled through your career with checks and retraining, give it some serious thought, but otherwise, it’s quite achievable. You don’t have a checker terminating training with impunity, they put a lot of thought into it, essentially they’re trying to get you through. Based on the number of pilots that we have, my guess is about 1% contribute to this forum, so it’s hard to get the full picture that is not colored by personal agendas. I suggest using your own professional network to locate a crew member that is here to get an accurate impression.

xavierb
22nd Sep 2019, 17:38
What's the ZED travel like here (e.g spouse/family/nominated, number of tickets)?

Also, if let's say I'm a resident of country A, but would like to commute from Country B to take advantage of lower cost of living, is that an option (for the C ticket).

Hi Gents,

Anyone to answer that one?
1.Are those ZED restricted to the pilot or is the family able to enjoy it?
2. On other Star alliances flights aswell?

Thank you

Xavier

bringbackthe80s
23rd Sep 2019, 02:00
who would want to risk not passing the training if it’s a lottery and leaving a old job and potentially becoming jobless?

Very easy answer, don’t apply then.

Honestly, the amount of patience required to fly here is beyond what most western pilots would ever imagine, so if anyone are having these kind of concerns and know little about the country I advice to think twice.

Fratemate
23rd Sep 2019, 03:33
Xavier,

1.Are those ZED restricted to the pilot or is the family able to enjoy it? It is the pilot and his 'eligible dependants'. They are spouse, children (unmarried and < 18 or unmarried, < 21 and in full-time education) and others as authorised by AJX. It normally does not include parents and 'nominated' people but, obviously, they MAY be authorised by AJX if there is a good reason.

2. On other Star alliances flights as well? Yes, Star Alliance and other IATA airlines with whom AJX has an Interline agreement.

xavierb
23rd Sep 2019, 09:44
Xavier,

1.Are those ZED restricted to the pilot or is the family able to enjoy it? It is the pilot and his 'eligible dependants'. They are spouse, children (unmarried and < 18 or unmarried, < 21 and in full-time education) and others as authorised by AJX. It normally does not include parents and 'nominated' people but, obviously, they MAY be authorised by AJX if there is a good reason.

2. On other Star alliances flights as well? Yes, Star Alliance and other IATA airlines with whom AJX has an Interline agreement.

Thanks a lot Fratemate..
Yourself and the Dominican should get paid for the good job ;-)

Last question if I may:

I hold a JCAB licence.
How long would the process (training) take before starting the line training?

heavydane
23rd Sep 2019, 10:43
X-man,
Same as always. count on 4 month in Tokyo and 2 month of line training. Even with a JCAB license nothing changes much.

Regards
Heavydane

xavierb
24th Sep 2019, 11:08
X-man,
Same as always. count on 4 month in Tokyo and 2 month of line training. Even with a JCAB license nothing changes much.

Regards
Heavydane
Thanks Heavydane!
See you around..

pilot hans
25th Sep 2019, 09:01
So it seems no taxes paid at all in Japan, so you can/will be taxed at your country of residence, correct?

Fratemate
25th Sep 2019, 16:35
Correct, for the 7 millionth time :rolleyes:

Jocico_de_perro
25th Sep 2019, 16:43
Hey whats up jocico de perro again
No training bond
No tax,
10k- in your pocket
Bussines class to home
Phasing out 767 to 787.
Here there are too many complaining , maybe people inside that dont wnat u get in or people have never been in a airline.

BigEasy
25th Sep 2019, 19:52
Hi I know it’s looking a long way into the future and I need to pass the assessment first! But I’m just curious what destinations the air japan 787s fly to? Saw one in Sydney yesterday but I was told that all the ANA Dreamliners have air japan on the side of them? Many thanks as always
I recently parked next to an AJX 787 in BRU , HAN and CGK

Absolutely
26th Sep 2019, 01:57
Every ANA 787 and 767-300ER has a small Air Japan decal on each side. AJX crews have never operated to Europe.

Fratemate
27th Sep 2019, 08:10
No training bond No, but very long training, with not a lot of actual training. You're expected to know it all before you go in the sim, so expect checking instead of training
No tax, No, there's no tax to be paid in Japan. You still have to pay tax in your own country. How many more times do we have to say this :ugh:
10k- in your pocket Before tax
Bussines class to home
Phasing out 767 to 787. I think that's good but it's not for everybody

SyncPilot
9th Oct 2019, 23:29
Hi guys and girls,

As I understand while you are in training you get an alien visa, and are able to opet an account in Japan.
Is it possible to keep Japan’s bank account opet after the visa expires during your entire duration of contract work? Can you receive your pay in that account?

thanks

gtseraf
9th Oct 2019, 23:52
no, once you finish the sim training, your residence visa is cancelled and you become a foreign crewmember operating in and out of Japan.

Legally, one cannot hold a bank account, phone, drivers licence etc. without the residence permit, so, unless you arrange it yourself (there will be no help from your employer or AJX) you become a non-resident, foreign crewmember once your sim training s complete.

supergaleb
10th Oct 2019, 16:02
Hello to everyone!
I’ve read every single post from the very beginning and I am thankful to all of the generous colleagues. However, I have one question and I’ll be grateful if you would elaborate on the topic. I am a Cmd on A320 with 12k total hours, I have flown across EU,USA, ME but I have never flown the long range and the Far East region where the AJX is operating.
Would you express your thoughts and experience flying the long range operation on AJX network (weather, roster, fatigue...) since I’ve never done it before? It has been said that it’s a fatigueing constant day-night rotations...Could you be more specific. Also, the roster is 16-18 days on and 14 days off ( with the 2 vacation days) if I understand correctly, how many hours are average flight/ duty time?
Thank you in forward.

Kind regards

Fly safely

SyncPilot
18th Oct 2019, 19:58
no, once you finish the sim training, your residence visa is cancelled and you become a foreign crewmember operating in and out of Japan.

Legally, one cannot hold a bank account, phone, drivers licence etc. without the residence permit, so, unless you arrange it yourself (there will be no help from your employer or AJX) you become a non-resident, foreign crewmember once your sim training s complete.

Thanks for the info...hmm, I was hopping you can keep your account.

Are any of the guys from on self-employed contract with Parc or Crew? Like Ryan Air...?

How bad was it during the last storm??? Any feedback? It looked pretty hardcore on tv/online? Hope everybody was safe..

gtseraf
18th Oct 2019, 23:27
No training bond
No tax,
10k- in your pocket
Bussines class to home
Phasing out 767 to 787.
Here there are too many complaining , maybe people inside that dont wnat u get in or people have never been in a airline.

OR people have been in a REAL airline before pilots sold their souls for a quick jet command and can tell the difference between a REAL airline and the contract world this operation exists in.

Chacken_Nuggets
2nd Nov 2019, 00:10
Hey All. Thanks for all good info everyone.

Couple of qs... what are the tax rules..... Kidding.

- For the oncall/rsv days how long does the reserve last 24hrs, 6am-8pm,etc. And any stand down time during the rsv day? I doubt it but worth a shot.

- I get either the commuting arrangement with the travel coordinator or money in pocket, but can you split the difference? Let's say Stby to get home and a confirmed seat for the return to NRT? Book a ZED fare home to save a 1000$?

-What happens due to a circumstance out of your control, A/C goes mechanical on the way to work and you are not able to report on time with a confirmed dhd?

- Did anyone shake hands in the interview with the panel or only bow?

Regards
C N 🐔

jrmyl
2nd Nov 2019, 02:02
Hey All. Thanks for all good info everyone.

Couple of qs... what are the tax rules..... Kidding.

- For the oncall/rsv days how long does the reserve last 24hrs, 6am-8pm,etc. And any stand down time during the rsv day? I doubt it but worth a shot.

- I get either the commuting arrangement with the travel coordinator or money in pocket, but can you split the difference? Let's say Stby to get home and a confirmed seat for the return to NRT? Book a ZED fare home to save a 1000$?

-What happens due to a circumstance out of your control, A/C goes mechanical on the way to work and you are not able to report on time with a confirmed dhd?

- Did anyone shake hands in the interview with the panel or only bow?

Regards
C N 🐔
Standby times are usually 6-8 hours. Sometimes shorter. I had one last week that was 2 1/2 hours. I think they just wanted to put something on my schedule but couldn't start it prior to 15:30 due to scheduling guidelines. Not sure what you mean by stand down time though.

Can't split the commute. It's either round trip c-class or $2000.

If your c-class flight cancels or is delayed they understand and will rearrange your schedule. I've had it twice in 9 years so it isn't very common. Not sure what they will do if you are on a zed ticket though.

If I remember correctly I think I bowed and shook hands during the interview.

Chacken_Nuggets
2nd Nov 2019, 14:40
Standby times are usually 6-8 hours. Sometimes shorter. I had one last week that was 2 1/2 hours. I think they just wanted to put something on my schedule but couldn't start it prior to 15:30 due to scheduling guidelines. Not sure what you mean by stand down time though.

Can't split the commute. It's either round trip c-class or $2000.

If your c-class flight cancels or is delayed they understand and will rearrange your schedule. I've had it twice in 9 years so it isn't very common. Not sure what they will do if you are on a zed ticket though.

If I remember correctly I think I bowed and shook hands during the interview.

Thank you for the reply.

Jocico_de_perro
3rd Nov 2019, 19:16
Those ones in there can say how much is tax percentage any idea
american 20%??
European 25%
Brazilian 15%
Or those who avoid pay it. If posible

​​​​

bringbackthe80s
3rd Nov 2019, 23:22
Those ones in there can say how much is tax percentage any idea
american 20%??
European 25%
Brazilian 15%
Or those who avoid pay it. If posible

​​​​

optimistic numbers I’d say

Absolutely
4th Nov 2019, 02:24
Thank you for the reply.

If you're on a ZED ticket and the flight is cancelled same thing, not your fault. However if you're on a ZED and you can't get on because it's full you'd better have Plan B!!!

Broomstick Flier
6th Nov 2019, 19:17
Brazilians have two options. You can keep an active fiscal status or an inactive one. If you opt for the former you have to pay taxes of any amount you are paid, and this is calculated based on income brackets. Based on the income mentioned for this contract, it would fall under the 27.5% bracket.
On the other hand, you can also choose to inform the IRS that you are leaving the country for good (for at least one year, 12 consecutive months) and therefore you are exempted of declaring income/properties and paying taxes.

montema
7th Nov 2019, 02:47
The interviews are in Tokyo as always, however, after being recently in contact with CREW, the sim preparations are in Sydney. Its a little uncomfortable to go to Sidney to stay some days there paying your hotel and then from there to go to Tokyo to do the assessments. Of course you have to then go back to your country.
The reinbursment is as follows:
Example: You life in PARIS. You have to book your own ticket from Paris to Sidney. Pay your stay there and then book a ticket from Sidney to Tokyo. Pay your stay there and then book a ticket to Paris.
CREW reinburses in the following manner: They calculate how much a round trip ticket costs from Paris to Tokyo. Let's say 1000 dollars. Thats what you get + the sim in sidney. But in the meantime, you paid 500 extra to arrive to Sidney, one ticket to go to tokyo and another one to paris. I find it a little bit crazy. Of course IDtickets can't be used due to pilots ditching examiners and sim sessions booked in advance.
Anyone has had the same thing? Or it's just something new they came across with?

The Dominican
8th Nov 2019, 01:39
These pilot chat boards are good to know the best watering hole on an overnight, to know what to expect during training and how it is to fly the line overall... On the issue of tax liability! Do yourself a favor and hire a tax lawyer that has experience with foreign earned income, especially with the fact that you work for an Irish company, an american company or wherever your contract company is from.

Pilots tend to think that they know better, there have been more than a few that knew better and ended up losing their retirement in penalties and fees to their home country tax man.

KarrooWalvis
9th Nov 2019, 04:35
Hi guys,

I tried to find this answer before posting here. Didnt see anything in the 3000+ posts. Haha.

7 months away from my family a year seems like a lot.

Are there any guys on the ANA contract who have their families living with them in Japan?

If not living in Japan, maybe they visit a lot? Is it easy to get a multi entry visa or something?

Thanks for reading

montema
11th Nov 2019, 04:08
KarrooWalvis, apparently the VISA idea didnt work out and people aren't living there with their families. At least thats what I understood! :D

Now, I have a question. Maybe someone can help. I read different stuff about the training off days. Correct me if I'm wrong or if the info is a little bit outdated (as this thread is 12 years old :D). Normally we can expect to have the weekends free while in training (specially during ground course) and then maybe 1 four hour sim followed by 2 days off. is that correct? I'm trying to figure out how i will visit my girlfriend or how could I make her come without being too much of a hassle as theres a lot to study.

cptkris
11th Nov 2019, 06:46
hi everyone.
I just wanted to say thanks to all the previous posters, and add my 2 cents!

Ive just been given the nod for the interview and medical and am now waiting for the contract.

all previous write ups are on point.

For me I started the application in April and had the interview in October, could have done it faster but due to busy work schedule and holidays I chose to take my time.

I used Xplane 11 with a b767 setup in VR as a glorified paper dragon for the procedural stuff.

I have very clear reasons for the commute, namely no kids and both myself and partner already being expats and intending to go home. -a lot of weight on this question from both HR and the psychiatrist.

i did 12 hrs sim with crew (6 actual stick time) and I needed every bit of it. It was done at Ana training center in Tokyo.

The end product wasn’t perfect but if I was 10ft high on downwind, or 5kts fast on approach I was correcting and announcing it.

the only real **** up was my v1 cut as it was wobbly after takeoff but I
put it behind me and moved on. Was late with checklists but caught everything in time.

there was no time in Tokyo to study really, I just tried to relax and go for a run etc.

Im 34yo, 5300hrs with 1200h a320 FO, about 850 FO atr, 650 FO b1900d. 500multi pic instructing and rest is s/e instructing.

feel free to ask anything, still trying to figure out the tax side though, any one banking with HSBC or other international bank?

cheers and good luck everyone!

The Dominican
11th Nov 2019, 11:04
Are there any guys on the ANA contract who have their families living with them in Japan?
This is a commuting contract only and the company will not sponsor you nor your family for residency status.
There are a handful of folks that live in Japan because they are married to japanese ladies, but the company doesn't like that one bit, the whole thing is predicated on some language that was intended for workers from the shipyards (Hence Shorepass) and ANA has taken advantage of it and is using it for airline workers creating a situation where they have temporary workers working in Japan for more than 15 years now. So the intention to live in Japan is a very touchy subject.

If not living in Japan, maybe they visit a lot? Is it easy to get a multi entry visa or something?
If you have a citizenship that is part of the Visa waiver program, you get 90 days visa upon arrival.
Japan is very strict with their immigration policies and if you over stay your visa period, you could be subject to deportation and prohibition from entering Japan in the future, so think of the 90 day visa as an 80 day visa just in case!

montema
11th Nov 2019, 19:24
hi everyone.
I just wanted to say thanks to all the previous posters, and add my 2 cents!

Ive just been given the nod for the interview and medical and am now waiting for the contract.

all previous write ups are on point.

For me I started the application in April and had the interview in October, could have done it faster but due to busy work schedule and holidays I chose to take my time.

I used Xplane 11 with a b767 setup in VR as a glorified paper dragon for the procedural stuff.

I have very clear reasons for the commute, namely no kids and both myself and partner already being expats and intending to go home. -a lot of weight on this question from both HR and the psychiatrist.

i did 12 hrs sim with crew (6 actual stick time) and I needed every bit of it. It was done at Ana training center in Tokyo.

The end product wasn’t perfect but if I was 10ft high on downwind, or 5kts fast on approach I was correcting and announcing it.

the only real **** up was my v1 cut as it was wobbly after takeoff but I
put it behind me and moved on. Was late with checklists but caught everything in time.

there was no time in Tokyo to study really, I just tried to relax and go for a run etc.

Im 34yo, 5300hrs with 1200h a320 FO, about 850 FO atr, 650 FO b1900d. 500multi pic instructing and rest is s/e instructing.

feel free to ask anything, still trying to figure out the tax side though, any one banking with HSBC or other international bank?

cheers and good luck everyone!

Hi CPTKRIS.
The sim It's something that is concerning me a little bit as it is a lot of money to put in advance although they reinburse part of it. However, I'd have to travel to the other side of the globe first to go to Sidney and then up to Tokyo for the assessment. And thats sooooome money :ugh: Were you offered to go to Sidney first and then told them to go to Tokyo? Or you weren't offered Sidney at all? About the sim prep, were the instructors japanese or expats? How did you feel in the sim? Were they helpful?
I was told however that the pass rate is pretty good. What feedback would you give about it?

Thanks in advance!

cptkris
12th Nov 2019, 14:52
I was not given the option of Sydney, I think that’s a Longreach thing possibly? I went directly with Crew and they just did it all in Tokyo on the nights leading up to the sim.

The sim instructors were Canadian/American about to or recently retired after long careers in other Japanese airlines. (Red team). I was very happy, They were very on point with what the assessments are like and train you for the “worst case scenario” -short vectors, little auotopilot use etc. 30% is learning the flight characteristics of the B767 and 70% is playing the “computer game” that is the profile. Also on the prep there is no motion on the sim which is harder, especially for the single engine manoeuvres, but it saves time too!

6hrs of sim is not much, I believe longreach offers extra time at your own cost.

I believe the pass rate is pretty good, don’t have the numbers. Pretty sure there is no chance of passing if you don’t do sim prep, at least for an average driver like myself.

Chacken_Nuggets
12th Nov 2019, 19:58
I believe the pass rate is pretty good, don’t have the numbers. Pretty sure there is no chance of passing if you don’t do sim prep, at least for an average driver like myself.

Hey Cptn Kris,

I am a little confused about the sim prep. Did you buy study guides or a sim prep xourse on the 67 before you did the sim eval? Or was the 12 hrs (6 ground + 6 sim) provided by CREW with the interview/eval.

I see you had done your due diligence with the paper trainer Were the study guide and manuals provided ahead of time or only just prior to the eval? Or purchased through the sim prep.

CN

volare_737
13th Nov 2019, 02:50
Just a quick question which I can't find an answer to. It seems to me you guys at ANA get away with paying Japan income tax, but the guys at Jetstar and Peach have to pay about 25 to 30 percent, plus there pension and medical. I do realise this is not a JS or Peach thread, but just trying to find out what is the difference !!! Thanks

Montcalm
13th Nov 2019, 02:54
Just a quick question which I can't find an answer to. It seems to me you guys at ANA get away with paying Japan income tax, but the guys at Jetstar and Peach have to pay about 25 to 30 percent, plus there pension and medical. I do realise this is not a JS or Peach thread, but just trying to find out what is the difference !!! Thanks

I'll promptly respond to this before people start going apeshi*. Think of it this way : you're working under a tourist visa in Japan.Taxes will have to be paid in your country of residence. (which isn't Japan).

volare_737
13th Nov 2019, 05:06
Thanks - I know that. Why would people go apeshi* ???? Just trying to find out why ANA can do it and Peach or Jetstar cant ? The question was not why u are not paying tax !!!!!

RUMBEAR
13th Nov 2019, 05:17
Peach / Jetstar fly domestic flights and the government wont allow the expat pilots to enter on a shore pass ( like Air Japan pilots ). This requires Peach / Jetstar crew to have an employment visa and consequently pay all normal taxes and social insurances.

volare_737
13th Nov 2019, 05:23
Thanks RUMBEAR !! What a decent straight forward answer !!!!

gtseraf
13th Nov 2019, 06:19
Volare

AJX pilots are NOT employed in Japan. They are employed by contract companies, based in places like,USA, Isle of Man and, Vanuatu. The contract companies then second the pilots to AJX.

In the eyes of the Japanese Authorities, the pilots are deemed to be foreign based crew operating into and out of Japan, as a result, the crew enter/exit on a shorepass or passport.

The AJX pilots enjoy NO protection under Japanese employment law, have no access to Japanese social benefits. They are also not liable for Tax in Japan. There are a few who have obtained residence in Japan and they ARE liable for Japanese tax.

Be very careful saying the pilots pay no tax. Tax liability is individual and is influenced by country of domicile etc. Most of the pilots actually DO pay income tax, some are exempt by the laws of their country of domicile.

As far as taxation goes, VERY IMPORTANT, get advice from a tax professional in your country of residence as far as AJX tax goes, this forum is not the place to get it.

AJX pilots are employed differently to other airlines in Japan, eg Peachie, Banilla, Jetstar, etc. AJX pilots are not allowed to conduct domestic operations, all flights have to be international flights.

Lastly, please stop referring to AJX as ANA, it is a subsidiary of ANA but the pilots do not enjoy the advantages of ANA pilots, in fact, they are often reminded they are NOT ANA, except when it suits the company, of course!

R.L
13th Nov 2019, 07:05

Hi kris,
Thanks for your information, I just got the same thing these days and I was told to Tokyo since I don’t need visa to entering Japan.

I’d like to know, what do you mean 12 hrs with crew (6 actual stick), what is the other half of 6, some fixed training devices?

How many days did you spend in Japan? Or I should say, did the sim prep just right before your interview session, so total one travel for you?

Thank you.

RL

The Dominican
13th Nov 2019, 07:32
"The AJX pilots enjoy NO protection under Japanese employment law,"

Read this over and over!

cptkris
13th Nov 2019, 20:41
Paired with a sim buddy so you can watch, share the time...

glidingeagle69
14th Nov 2019, 06:00
Hi!
How was your interview with AJX and a medical exam? I mean what to expect during it. Thanks.

Roccat
19th Nov 2019, 06:00
Hello.. been reading the whole post from the beginning.... hats off to all who has posted all those well packed information: The Dom, jrmyl, gtseraf, Fratemate, Absolutely, heavydane, etc… (sorry if I missed out some other guys). Also to the guys who shared they experiences on the screening process.

I have a pre-screening coming up sometime in December, and if I pass, the actual screening may be somewhere in Jan 2020. Some questions for the ppl with experience:

1. How many days do you need to allocate for the screening + medical? Including the day to travel to Japan.

2. If you fail the screening, they will send you home the very next day instead?

3. If you fail somewhere down the line during training, will you get a compensation of some sort?

4. With the 787 around, do the 767 pilots fly freight routes only?

Roccat

jrmyl
19th Nov 2019, 23:50
Hello.. been reading the whole post from the beginning.... hats off to all who has posted all those well packed information: The Dom, jrmyl, gtseraf, Fratemate, Absolutely, heavydane, etc… (sorry if I missed out some other guys). Also to the guys who shared they experiences on the screening process.

I have a pre-screening coming up sometime in December, and if I pass, the actual screening may be somewhere in Jan 2020. Some questions for the ppl with experience:

1. How many days do you need to allocate for the screening + medical? Including the day to travel to Japan.

2. If you fail the screening, they will send you home the very next day instead?

3. If you fail somewhere down the line during training, will you get a compensation of some sort?

4. With the 787 around, do the 767 pilots fly freight routes only?

Roccat
The only one of those I can answer is number 4. No, we still fly both cargo and pax flights on the 767. We are just shrinking the passenger destinations for that airplane now.

Roccat
19th Nov 2019, 23:59
Thanks jrmyl, that's good to know...

Roccat
20th Nov 2019, 08:53
Mr ATPL, Tq so much for the info! That helps. Hope I make the cut. Sorry can't reply the PM (I tried).....I'm a newbie...

montema
22nd Nov 2019, 18:51
Soooo this is a little dissapointing.
Let me guys know what you think as Crew might not be correct. I have 3000 hours jet time almost. But i don't have 250 hours pic as I was hired just when I finished my ATPL training. They say Air Japan would only screen me if I have these PIC hours mentioned. Do you guys know if it is true? Anyone got hired without having been instructor or having flown s/e or multi after ab-initio training?
I'm applying with a friend, with almost 4000 hours jet time and he has the same problem. :S
This is so confusing!
Thanks folks!

gtseraf
22nd Nov 2019, 21:29
CREW are absolutely correct. If you cannot tick EVERY box for hours requirement, your application will not be accepted. The Japanese system is very Black and White when it comes to experience requirements. There is NO way around this.

montema
22nd Nov 2019, 22:21
I agree GTSERAF. However, in the requirements for Air Japan they are asking for minimum hours I have. It's just one of the requirements the ones we don't fulfill :(
We will have to try with CAE and see what happens.

RUMBEAR
22nd Nov 2019, 22:38
I agree GTSERAF. However, in the requirements for Air Japan they are asking for minimum hours I have. It's just one of the requirements the ones we don't fulfill :(
We will have to try with CAE and see what happens.

Min requirements to apply for a Japanese ATPL are 1500 hours, 250 pic, 100 night, 75 instrument time. Without 250 pic you cant apply for a Japanese ATPL.

montema
22nd Nov 2019, 22:45
However, this is what it's said everywhere. We meet "70 hours as PIC with the remaining as PICUS/P1 Under Supervision". So I don't really understand what the Japanese Aviation Authorities are asking for. :S

Minimum of 3,000 hours total time and minimum of 500 hours commercial airline jet time (corporate/business jet/turboprop hours not accepted)
250 hours Pilot in Command on any aircraft OR 70 hours as PIC with the remaining as PICUS/P1 Under Supervision OR 500 hours as PICUS/P1 Under Supervision
Valid ICAO State ATPL with Class 1 Medical Certificate (valid minimum 6 months after the start date)
ICAO Valid Jet Aircraft Command Rating or

ICAO Jet Aircraft Type Rating with a Command Instrument Rating (valid minimum 6 months after the start date)

Date of last flight within the last 18 months on a commercial jet

Fratemate
23rd Nov 2019, 00:49
So I don't really understand what the Japanese Aviation Authorities are asking for

250 hours Pilot in Command on any aircraft OR 70 hours as PIC with the remaining as PICUS/P1 Under Supervision OR 500 hours as PICUS/P1 Under Supervision

It's pretty simple and, as pointed out by Rumbear, is a JCAB requirement to issue a foreign experience-based ATPL. If you don't have the hours then the JCAB won't issue your ATPL.

So;

Do you have 250 hrs PIC?

No - Do you have 70 hrs PIC and 180 hrs PICUS (with every PICUS entry signed by the captain in your logbook)?

No - Do you have 500 hrs PICUS (with every PICUS entry signed by the captain in your logbook)?

If you don't have any of those three options then go and rent yourself a C152 in the USA and top up what you're lacking.

montema
23rd Nov 2019, 01:15
I do have the 70PIC + PICUS. thats what i want to confirm with you guys; if anyone has made it being in the same position as I am.

Thanks for the replies :)

Fratemate
23rd Nov 2019, 07:55
The Americans don't really 'do' PICUS, so it is little understood, even by companies that should know like CREW.

All this having been said, I would actually call CREW and discuss the matter with them. Explain you do have the requirements on their website and are able to meet the JCAB regulations.

Of course, CREW may not want to put forward a candidate who is not as well qualified as other applicants and that is entirely their call. PARC will understand PICUS better (European) but they are a distinct second choice as their health insurance and loss of licence is nowhere as good as CREW.

bafanguy
23rd Nov 2019, 10:40
The Americans don't really 'do' PICUS, so it is little understood...

Just for a bit of background on FAA PICUS (should it be relevant in this context) from an FAA legal interpretation:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/Data/interps/2012/Duncan-AFS-200%20-%20(2012)%20Legal%20Interpretation.pdf

WannaBeBiggles
23rd Nov 2019, 19:03
Do they wave the ICAO state ATPL requirement if you possess more than enough hours to satisfy the ATPL minimums as well as fulfill all the other ANA requirements?

montema
23rd Nov 2019, 21:14
I don't really understand what you mean. You need to be unfrozen to get their ATPL. They don't accept frozen. (I know cause it happened to me and I have to unfreeze it if they accept my application).

montema
23rd Nov 2019, 21:17
That's the funny thing though. The AJX paperwork looks really old and the explanation is really bad in certain areas. While in some of them they specify PIC + PICUS, in others they just write PIC and a minimum of hours are marked between brackets. Tried with CREW, however if it doesnt work i'll have to wait another 6 months which is the cool down perior for AJX to apply again... hope everything goes well. If not, we'll try with PARC.

Thanks Fratemate!

The Dominican
28th Nov 2019, 08:02
The AJX paperwork looks really old and the explanation is really bad in certain areas!

That is Japan, not only this company! On one hand they are one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world, and in the other, you get companies like ANA that does their schedules by hand in a company with over 8,000 pilots.
The JCAB manages a very large aviation market and when I went to their office to get the information on license verification, it was like a movie from the 1950’s endless rows of desks with piles of paper on top of them, almost no computers in that room. One time in a meeting I asked as to why we didn’t use scheduling software and the answer was that they couldn’t find a program that fits our operation, all that in a country that has people that can build a robot that can make our schedules.

Get use to it, the coexistence of the very old and the ultra modern is part of working in this wonderful and beautiful nation.

Just_landed
6th Dec 2019, 05:12
Hi all,
Thanks for all the inputs on this thread. Many insights were shared, kudos.

I have worked as an expat in different airlines, I mean as a "tax paid by the company" expat or "tax not needed to be paid" expat, but I have never been into a commuting roster in any of my expat roles so far.

I am still considering this gig in a Capt 767 (NTR) role, so I'm gathering info as much as I can. Hence a curiosity, if somebody could explain it. From what I gather in this thread, somewhere it was mentioned that you need an employment pass or something of that sort to get an address, bank account, driving licence etc, so I am guessing the commuting roster salary would be paid directly to your home country bank account.
So curiosity is,
1. Is the salary paid to your home country bank account or any account of your choice (e.g. expat accounts in HKG or SIN)?
2. The hotel stay during your 20 days or whatever days ON is paid by the company or is it like paid by you every time you checkout or deducted from your salary on a X days block basis or what? Wait, is it even a hotel stay because CAE job page mentions accommodation allowance too? I am confused now.
3. The local to and from airport to hotel transport and meal expenses during your ON days...is that also paid off or you arrange it on your dime? This one is stupid but I am just so curious to figure out the cost of living 18 or 20 days every month in Japan with this type of setup.
4. The non-type rated (which is my category) candidates have to pay some upfront or is it like 100% amount bonded against a couple of years?
5. How do you enter Japan once you are on this type of job, like on a crew visa or something or you get a temporary govt. Id because it seems you just won't have any sort of Id to identify yourself as a non-resident of Japan.
6. I recall it being mentioned that as AJX pilot you shall be doing only international flights, so that means either you are in the cockpit or the hotel. Guess what I am coming at is how a sample roster looks like over this 20 ON day spread?

I still have so many curiosities but I guess this is good enough for starters.

Anybody care to share upon this?

Thanks and Happy Landings,
Just Landed.

The Dominican
6th Dec 2019, 06:08
It doesn’t look like you have read this thread since these questions have been answered over and over! But here we go again!

1. Is the salary paid to your home country bank account or any account of your choice (e.g. expat accounts in HKG or SIN)?
The contract company will direct deposit to any account of your choosing!

2. The hotel stay during your 20 days or whatever days ON is paid by the company or is it like paid by you every time you checkout or deducted from your salary on a X days block basis or what? Wait, is it even a hotel stay because CAE job page mentions accommodation allowance too? I am confused now.

Hotels and transportation while on the road is covered by the company and the majority of hotels are quite nice. The nights you spend at base (Narita) is covered by the pilot with the accommodation allowance.

3. The local to and from airport to hotel transport and meal expenses during your ON days...is that also paid off or you arrange it on your dime? This one is stupid but I am just so curious to figure out the cost of living 18 or 20 days every month in Japan with this type of setup.

Train rides to and from work while at base is covered by the pilot with the allowance, the exception being training events where you need to go down to the training center where they will give you a bus ticket or you can submit a reimbursement form.

Now the cost, to be honest the accommodation allowance won’t be enough to cover the expense of being in Japan during your roster, food is not too expensive (Steak being the most expensive item) but housing and utilities are pretty pricey, here is Narita is cheaper than down in Tokyo but if you are like any of us that enjoys a cold one here and there, and doesn’t really think about what to eat because of the price, you will end up spending more than your perdiem and your housing allowance for sure.

4. The non-type rated (which is my category) candidates have to pay some upfront or is it like 100% amount bonded against a couple of years?
No, but there is a penalty with CREW if you leave the contract early.

5. How do you enter Japan once you are on this type of job, like on a crew visa or something or you get a temporary govt. Id because it seems you just won't have any sort of Id to identify yourself as a non-resident of Japan.
You enter like every other crew member from other countries, with a Shore Pass that you will need to keep with you while you are hanging out in Tokyo, the most important thing is that this shore pass restricts the area where you can be while in Japan so if you have a couple of days off while at base and you want to do some sight seeing while in Japan, it’s best that you enter with a visa.

6. I recall it being mentioned that as AJX pilot you shall be doing only international flights, so that means either you are in the cockpit or the hotel. Guess what I am coming at is how a sample roster looks like over this 20 ON day spread?
We can only do international flights since we are not legal residents of Japan and you are a temporary contract worker, I know it sounds strange but that will be one of the least strange things you’ll come across.
A sample roster won’t do you any good, they vary so it might not be at all what you experience once on the line, remember that there is a transition to the 787 so we don’t really know how this job will look like a year or two down the line. It will be over 8 months before you are even released on the line.

I still have so many curiosities but I guess this is good enough for starters.
I would really recommend (again and again) that you take some time and read this thread, there is information here that you won’t think about asking but that it is good to know. The thread is very old but definitely go back let’s say 5 years or so and start from there.

The Dominican
11th Dec 2019, 09:56
Hello Just Landed. One correction to my post! I'm with another contract company so I didn't know but I was informed that the penalty for leaving the contract early at CREW is no longer part of the contract.
Sorry for the confusion.

Colin Oskopi
15th Dec 2019, 02:24
The six month ATP class is worthwhile, unless of course you know everything already.

king_fifi
15th Dec 2019, 07:46
Hi all,
I had the honour to be invited for an interview last year, for Non-JCAB DEC position.
Unfortunately I did not make the cut.
I am thinking of re-applying again but I was told AJX will not re-invite candidates who had failed the interview especially Captains.
But I was also told that unofficialy there is a "cooling" period of 1 year before we could re-apply.
Any idea which and which is true/correct? I am really looking forward to join this company.
Hope to be guided as I always do from this informative forum.
Thanks.

Fifi

calypso
16th Dec 2019, 15:24
Anyone working for AJX and commuting to Spain. Can you PM me please, I would love to be able to ask you some questions

The Dominican
16th Dec 2019, 18:25
Hi all,
I had the honour to be invited for an interview last year, for Non-JCAB DEC position.
Unfortunately I did not make the cut.
I am thinking of re-applying again but I was told AJX will not re-invite candidates who had failed the interview especially Captains.
But I was also told that unofficialy there is a "cooling" period of 1 year before we could re-apply.
Any idea which and which is true/correct? I am really looking forward to join this company.
Hope to be guided as I always do from this informative forum.
Thanks.

Fifi
They have indeed given folks another shot at an interview.
The year cool off period, That is best to ask the contract agencies, we don't have an official answer to that because it has changed over the years.

Good luck!

Pirrex
25th Dec 2019, 14:35
Merry Christmas to everyone. I have a couple of questions which I can see have been asked a few times already in this thread, but not really answered since the very beginning.
Many things seems to not have changed much since 10 years ago, apart from experience level of new hires. 10 years ago it seemed to be about 2x the minimum requirements, but maybe somebody could chip in how low hours guys are standing a chance with?

I'm just on the edge of having the minimums, with 2 months to go until I have the hours to apply. Anybody been lucky enough to get an interview with a similar profile to me; 3000h TT and 2600h on 737NG?

The problem I'm having is that my company doesn't let me do the ATPL on my annual LST until I'm doing the command upgrade, and with the current delay with the MAXes that seems to be a minimum of 12 months from now. Of course I could do the LST on my own, but seems like quite a gamble to pay around 2000€ just to have a lucky shot at getting just the interview. Obviously an ATPL would be needed after a successful assessment, which I would then have no problem paying for myself. Anybody in the same boat as me, or knows something about it? Asked both of the contracting agencies already, but it didn't make me any wiser. I also don't want to apply if my frozen ATPL is no good, and then would not be able to apply afterwards again due to the rejection.

Broomstick Flier
25th Dec 2019, 22:08
Pirrex, in a short answer, I would say that holding a frozen ATPL is not enough in order to apply. They are very specific in having the ATPL and also with the hours breakdown as informed by the agencies. From what I understand, even if you have a full ATPL - obtained on an airline, when upgrading - but has not the required hours (cross-country, PIC, night, etc) it will not be accepted.

What many people do is get the hours and check the ATPL via private flying, ie. renting a Cessna during the weekends and logging the hours.

I am sure others will complement my answer

Merry Christmas and good luck!

BF

okochas yung un
26th Dec 2019, 00:23
hi pirrex,

r u norwegian? i had a mate apply with the same problems. PM me if u want the details.

cheers

Pirrex
26th Dec 2019, 12:29
hi pirrex,

r u norwegian? i had a mate apply with the same problems. PM me if u want the details.

cheers
Thanks a lot, sent you a PM

heavydane
26th Dec 2019, 15:51
Pirrex,

Second Bromstick.
What have been answered time and time again is that everything is black and white in Japan. (unless it benefits the company, then grey do appear!)
As for flight time, I flew with an FO a few weeks ago that interviewed with the bare minimums, so yes it is possible.
As for the ATPL, may I suggest that You stop being like most every other pilot and stop trying to find an angle, just get the frekking ATPL and get Your papers in, its a good gig:)

Regards
HD

JFL
27th Dec 2019, 08:24
Has anyone used Shin Yuri Medical Clinic in Kanagawa or Dr Atsuo Kikuchi in Otaku?

Any recommendations for either?

R.L
2nd Jan 2020, 16:54
Hello everyone. I’m reading the Sim profile and have a puzzle area which kindly ask for your help.

I do read somewhere ( sorry got lost, too many information on hand) that do not turn until flaps are in position, or hold the flaps until wings level. I get the idea but it seems a little conflict to the profile.

Like the one in visual approach, we should put flaps 30 and turn base when times up, but in actual, should we put flaps 30 and wait for them in position then begin the base turn, or delay the flaps until I’m level on the base (which only few seconds before my final turn).

Personally I prefer the former to buy me more room, just don’t know which one should be the one I perform in the Sim.

Also, “Arm Spd Bke” is part of PM’s procedural action during lowering the gear, or it’s a call out from PF?
And how do I know if it’s been properly armed, by looking at the lever position or there’s a message on the display?

And one last, during the descent toward MDA for VOR 17, do they expect you initiating the descent by the definition of “established“, or you have to wait until centered CDI? It sounds picky but in the profile, the timings are separate to “PM calls one dot before” and “established, descend with VS mode”. Which I’m curios that one dot should be 5° and also means established, but the profile looks like they want you descend after CDI centered.

Happy new year to all.

RL

Fratemate
3rd Jan 2020, 03:15
Like the one in visual approach, we should put flaps 30 and turn base when times up, but in actual, should we put flaps 30 and wait for them in position then begin the base turn, or delay the flaps until I’m level on the base (which only few seconds before my final turn). When you're abeam the threshold it's 'gear down, flap 20 (dial back the speed)'. You arm the speedbrake. PM says 'gear down, flap 20' and you call for the landing checklist. By now you'll be approaching the turn point so ask for flap 30, dial in the final speed and start the turn. It takes a couple fo seconds for the flap to go from 20 to 30 and by the time the speed has been dialled back it's time to turn. Don't worry about making sure they're at 30 before you turn, don't wait until you're on base and definitely do not extend downwind to do so. The cadence works:

PF: Abeam 'start time'. 'Gear down, Flap 20, Speed Vref+20'. Arm speedbrake
PM: 'Gear down, Flap 20'
PF: 'Landing checklist'
PF/PM: Carry out landing checklist, hold at Flaps
PF: 'Flap 30, Speed Vref+5'
PM: 'Flap 30'
At this point you start the turn and can then ask the PM to 'continue landing checklist' (which is just 'Flaps')
Set an initial RoD of about 600 FPM and watch the 'noodle' to vary your bank angle

Also, “Arm Spd Bke” is part of PM’s procedural action during lowering the gear, or it’s a call out from PF?
And how do I know if it’s been properly armed, by looking at the lever position or there’s a message on the display? PF arms the speed brake. You just need to lift it slightly and move it back a few cms. You'll feel it click into place. There's no message, so you'll have to look down to check it when challenged on the Landing Checklist

And one last, during the descent toward MDA for VOR 17, do they expect you initiating the descent by the definition of “established“, or you have to wait until centered CDI? It sounds picky but in the profile, the timings are separate to “PM calls one dot before” and “established, descend with VS mode”. Which I’m curios that one dot should be 5° and also means established, but the profile looks like they want you descend after CDI centered. You can descend any time you are within 5 degrees. Hopefully you'll be nicely lined up before then, with the CDI centred, but DO NOT descend outside 5 degrees. That is the only rule and you will fail if you do so. Less than 1 dot and you can make your way down.

R.L
3rd Jan 2020, 07:48
Thank you Fratemate, this helps a lot.

As a bus driver, it really takes some effort to make this bird fly smoothly.

Planning to be there by Feb, I owe every helper here a pint..... or pints if you like :}

glidingeagle69
3rd Jan 2020, 13:52
Hello!
I am just curious why do you carry out a landing checklist before extending flaps 30? Are there some differences between B767 FCTM and AJX SOP? Thanks in advance.

Fratemate
4th Jan 2020, 01:01
I am just curious why do you carry out a landing checklist before extending flaps 30? Are there some differences between B767 FCTM and AJX SOP?

Welcome to our world of 'my procedure'!!

Yes, despite the FCTM, the Japanese have decided you can do it either way. So, you can get to Flap 20 and then call for the Landing Checklist. The PM will suspend the checklist with words similar to "standing by one item or standing by flaps". Once the final flaps are set (25 or 30) the PF will ask for the checklist to be continued and the PM reads "Flaps", with PF responding "25/30".

Or

You can do the whole lot and then ask for the Landing Checklist once final flaps are set.

The trouble with this second option is you don't want to be doing the checklist while you're concentrating on your turn to final, so it is much better to get the bulk of it done once the flaps are at 20 and then you've just got the one item to do before you start the turn. If you get the cadence correct then it works out just as they want a visual pattern to be flown. When you're trudging down an ILS you can use either method and it doesn't matter but, for the visual circuit, I would recommend NOT waiting until final flaps are set before ordering the checklist. You CAN but they won't like it :hmm:

glidingeagle69
4th Jan 2020, 05:58
Thanks for your answer. The world of "my procedures" is the usual policy of the most companies, including one, which I've been flying for. A company's SOP is the best guidance of that.

The Dominican
4th Jan 2020, 12:22
Thanks for your answer. The world of "my procedures" is the usual policy of the most companies, including one, which I've been flying for. A company's SOP is the best guidance of that.

You're not under the impression that the SOP's here are designed for efficiency and safety?

glidingeagle69
4th Jan 2020, 20:41
I think that SOP should be based on Boeing FCOM and FCTM, but I am only employee and I will adhere SOP. All other thoughts are only discussion between pilots.

jrmyl
4th Jan 2020, 21:27
I think that SOP should be based on Boeing FCOM and FCTM, but I am only employee and I will adhere SOP. All other thoughts are only discussion between pilots.
With that attitude you would do well here. Mold yourself to their way and no other way. The people who keep talking about how it was done at such and such place are the ones who find themselves in trouble.

The Dominican
5th Jan 2020, 14:12
That is comedy at its best!

Good job man, that was funny!

glidingeagle69
5th Jan 2020, 15:57
Thanks a lot, guys for your tips! I hope that I can go through this screening process.

king_fifi
6th Jan 2020, 07:20
Hi all,
Just sharing my interview experience.
Whatever written from the beginning of this post till the latest, it was extremely helpful for my preparation fo rthe interview process.
So, please read it from first page till the very last.
Dominican, Fratemate and a few more noble chaps here had been providing great information for us all.
Really appreciate it alot.

Right, as for my interview, return air ticket to Tokyo was paid by the agent (Crew in my case) but hotel accomodation was self-paid.

You will go through a paper test consist of 20 questions mainly on ATPL subjects.
You will then proceed for the interview.

The whole interview process was pleasant, 3 Japanese senior Captains plus anohter Japanese lady from HR.
Standard interview questions with some techinical questions from each of the senior Captains.
As for those technical questions posed to me, I did managed to answer most of it but not all.
Those that I was not sure, I will just be frank to them and say "not sure" or " I don't know the answer" instead of bs my way through.

Right after the interview, and before the sim check, you will be given a "briefing" by one of the senior captain.
Basically he is just confirming that the sim profile that you have been given by the agent is up to date.
He will go through the entire profile with you.
During this stage, I was asked if I would prefer to have the "Speedtape" version of PFD or the older version of it, which I call it the "F/S tape" (as in fast/slow).
I did not know until this point that I have the luxury to choose my version of speedtape.
I chose the newer digital speedtape for my PFD (regretted it somehow, as I've been bunk flying using the F/S tape all these while)

Sim profile was exactly as per the package given by the agent.
Most difficult for me was the visual approach, followed by the S/E profile and easiest was the VOR profile.
Well, that is only for my case.

For the sim check, 1 captain will be sitting on the other seat to assist, another running the sim and the third one will watch you like a hawk from the middle.
They will watch and take notes on every little thing you do/missed.
They even noticed that I was not looking at my speedtape just prior to rotation.

Some tips general tips for the sim check:
You're suppose to glance the speedtape when the PM says "V-R" before you actually move the control column.
Your thumb should be away from the trim switch if you're not trimming.
You can fly with both hands as long as the A/T is ON and working. That's told to me by one of the checker when I was placing one of my hand on the thrust lever "guarding it". Not required according to him.
Say "Left/Right clear" as applicable, everytime before initiating a turn.

Now, as for the Visual profile, yes, cadence mentioned by Fratemate works very well and gives you plenty of time to adjust your profile during base turn.
One thing i learnt during my visual approach. My speed was spot on when you look at the speedtape on PFD. However, my thrust correction to achive the speed was varying by +/- 5% or so (the thrust lever is a little sensitive as well for a first timer on a 767 sim).
According to the checker, I must stay within +/-2% only, so my 5% was way too much for them.
I had a positive landing, not hard at all but definitely not a greaser for sure. And the checker behind was saying "VIP onboard!"
Not sure if they're just trying ease the tense in the sim or they really don't like my landing.

I had my interview and sim check during the day and the result came in the same evening.
Unfortunately I did not make it. No reasons given. Strongly believe I flunked the sim session.
According to my agent, the only thing that counts is the sim check, the interview/paper exam was irrelevant.
Not sure to what extend though as even the agent does not know the reason for my failure.

By the way, all these happened more than a year ago but I guess nothing much has changed.

I had recently resubmit my application again to my agent.

Shocking to know AJX does not accept second try for DEC applicants (this was not told to me last year by my agent).
This has been confirmed by my agent as they made a call to AJX (well that's what they told me).
That is their current "policy" now it seems. Not sure why.
Rather disappointed to know this actually.

I'm having high hope still. Will try again next year. Hopefully they will review their "policy".

To those who are applying, especially DEC, best of luck, and give it your best shot.

Gambatte Kudasai!

Fifi

R.L
7th Jan 2020, 05:49
Hi fifi,
There are people here will appreciated very much of your feedback, I am sure one of them.
Have you tried CAE? They called me few days ago asking if I’m interesting in AJX. No harm with an ask.

RL

king_fifi
7th Jan 2020, 06:06
Hi fifi,
There are people here will appreciated very much of your feedback, I am sure one of them.
Have you tried CAE? They called me few days ago asking if I’m interesting in AJX. No harm with an ask.

RL

Hi R.L,
Great suggestion indeed.
Yes I was thinking about changing agency and see how it goes.
However if what my current agent is telling me is true, meaning the buck stops at AJX, then I will presume the end result will be the same.
Nevertheless, will definitely give it a go as suggested.

Fifi

gtseraf
7th Jan 2020, 16:11
if you can, use CREW, they are way better than the others.

king_fifi
8th Jan 2020, 00:31
if you can, use CREW, they are way better than the others.

Yes, I've been sticking to the advice of this forum and chose CREW for my first shot. They were exceptionally professional and friendly to begin with.
I even made a few calls to then and spoke to Alan, nice chap, very helpful.
I can only imagine if I'm hired and getting great support from them.
However it is also CREW who told me about the new AJX "policy" of not rescreening a DEC candidate.
Not sure if switching agency will help get my CV through but will give it a shot anyhow.

The Dominican
8th Jan 2020, 02:10
Not sure if switching agency will help get my CV through but will give it a shot anyhow.

On the next application the inevitable question "Have you applied before" will come so I really don't think it will do you any good.

I don't want to discourage you but your timing is not the best, you have a major player that went under and dumped many experienced pilots into the market and you have many guys desperate to get out of the dessert so the time is not the best, AJX is not having too many problems these days filling classes! This is of course a cyclical industry so things can and do change often but for right now they feel that they are the pretty girl on the dance and they love to act as if!
The irony is that attrition is high and people are leaving for greener pastures (Or other shades of brown really, in this business there is no green pastures anymore) but the fact that they are getting applicants and that lately a couple of guys have come back after a few years working elsewhere have turned the chip on their shoulder into a log.

You might want to place your efforts into Skymark or Peach for example.

Sorry for not being encouraging but I don't think changing agencies will do you any good.

md-100
10th Jan 2020, 01:55
Will 787s do same 767s’ routes or AJX will start flying Europe and US with 787s?

The Dominican
10th Jan 2020, 12:34
Will 787s do same 767s’ routes or AJX will start flying Europe and US with 787s?
Regardless of what fleet you are on, you will be doing China (A Lot) and redeyes to Indochina.

If interesting destinations on the western world are a priority for you, you need to look elsewhere.

jrmyl
10th Jan 2020, 14:54
Regardless of what fleet you are on, you will be doing China (A Lot) and redeyes to Indochina.

If interesting destinations on the western world are a priority for you, you need to look elsewhere.
Yes, what he said. We get all of the crappy destinations that the ANA guys don't want to do.

gtseraf
10th Jan 2020, 20:50
more like the destinations and duty patterns they don't want. Anyway, pretty much all of our layovers are between 15 to 28 hours, often shoehorned between two WOCL duties, so the time spent there is mostly, sleep, eat, sleep.

md-100
12th Jan 2020, 02:01
Best layover is?

gtseraf
12th Jan 2020, 04:43
I guess it depends on each individual. At this stage, a SGN and a BKK trip, both sign on in NRT around 5pm on day 1, arrive around 2 am Japan time (on day 2). Call time for return flight is around 5 (ish) am JST, with a landing in NRT around 3 or 4 pm on day 3.

Oh yes, there is a rule that one cannot drink alcohol 24 hours before sign on on a layover trip, so, if one feels the need to enjoy a refreshing, alcohol beverage, one has a 2 hour window after arrival in BKK or SGN.

This is on the 787, can't speak for the 767

md-100
15th Jan 2020, 02:01
And how is the ID tickets stuff?
just dependable relatives?
all styby or have any confirmed booking per year?

montema
22nd Jan 2020, 03:39
Just wondering one thing now that I am going through all the paperwork to study. The ATPL questions, are multiple choice kind or you have to write down the answers and explain? It looks that the paperwork is a little old, there's different speeds, explanation of the different profiles and so on. It's kinda confusing :S. Anyway, loved the fratemate explanation about when and how extend flap 30 or how to descend in the VOR approach. It's not explained like this in the different "personal experience in the checkride" that comes together with all the paperwork. And it makes sense.
Thanks in advance!

Mr_ATPL
22nd Jan 2020, 19:14
Which agency are you with?!
They should have provided you with all the required information.
> The questions are straight out of the FAA ATPL question bank. (Multiple Choice)

Kipp6
24th Jan 2020, 20:19
So I’m interested in AJX (FO), and wanted to get perspectives on it. I would live there, but I do not plan on staying in Japan forever (I would eventually like to come back to US).

thanks

atldrvr
25th Jan 2020, 02:38
So I’m interested in AJX (FO), and wanted to get perspectives on it. I would live there, but I do not plan on staying in Japan forever (I would eventually like to come back to US).

thanks
The first step would be to read through the posts on this forum and I think most of your questions will be answered.

FlackoJodye
3rd Feb 2020, 00:04
Hello there.
First off I’d like to thank everyone on this thread for sharing valuable info about AJX. Really learned a lot!
I have a question. I’ve been reading the entire thread bit by bit, and it seems that AJX pilots are (May be a bit extreme) not respected by ANA pilots or just ANA in general? I understand it’s a sister company of ANA, but in Canada, sister companies usually offer a Pilot mobility upgrade (Jazz to AC). Not trying to compare it or anything due to a lot of differences, I just thought I’d throw that out there.
That info I read was quite a while ago, but is it possible now to upgrade from AJX to ANA as an expat flying those international flights (also read that expats can’t fly domestically)? Or ANA is strictly Japanese only?

as always, all the feedback is greatly appreciated!

The Dominican
3rd Feb 2020, 03:03
is it possible now to upgrade from AJX to ANA as an expat flying those international flights (also read that expats can’t fly domestically)? Or ANA is strictly Japanese only?

This will NEVER happen! Never ever!

We are tolerated, that's it! Some are polite and might even smile! But if AJX disappeared tomorrow, there would be an unusual spike of sick calls at mainline...! Hangover city!

And let's talk about sister companies in Canada!

Let's assume as an experiment that AC builds an AOC from the ground up and hires nothing but South American and European pilots under contract to fly the mainline metal at 60% the rate of mainline drivers, Would they offer upward mobility to AC then?

R.L
3rd Feb 2020, 04:10
No special meaning, just curious.

Do you guys operated the evacuation flights from ZHHH?

I read from news it was two 76 did the job so... just curious.

jrmyl
3rd Feb 2020, 07:28
No special meaning, just curious.

I read from news it was two 76 did the job so... just curious.
No, that was ANA operating that.

Fratemate
3rd Feb 2020, 13:33

R.L wins the Tenses In A Single Sentence Award :D

Answering the question: Only very STRONG ANA pilots. AJX pilots are not strong enough.

Company order.......

return2show
3rd Feb 2020, 19:53
R.L wins the Tenses In A Single Sentence Award :D

Answering the question: Only very STRONG ANA pilots. AJX pilots are not strong enough.

Company order.......

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

Good Day
11th Feb 2020, 05:11

thanks
Officially you are not allowed to live there. Please note the word "officially" this is probabbly tax-technical. But you can of course have holidays in Japan. Just keep that in mind...

gtseraf
11th Feb 2020, 05:18
If you are interested in returning to the US to work, I would suggest giving AJX a skip, get into a decent major asap, get that valuable seniority number and enjoy your life. AJX may be an adventure for you but the delay in the seniority number in the US could cost you plenty.

MBA747
15th Feb 2020, 04:03
Is there a sign on bonus for those of us that held a JACAB ATPL (Lapsed) but are rated on a 767 on a different licence?

The Range
15th Feb 2020, 08:40
Are you guys still flying into China?

Fawaz
15th Feb 2020, 18:02
Hi all,
Just sharing my interview experience.
Whatever written from the beginning of this post till the latest, it was extremely helpful for my preparation fo rthe interview process.
So, please read it from first page till the very last.
Dominican, Fratemate and a few more noble chaps here had been providing great information for us all.
Really appreciate it alot.

Right, as for my interview, return air ticket to Tokyo was paid by the agent (Crew in my case) but hotel accomodation was self-paid.

You will go through a paper test consist of 20 questions mainly on ATPL subjects.
You will then proceed for the interview.

The whole interview process was pleasant, 3 Japanese senior Captains plus anohter Japanese lady from HR.
Standard interview questions with some techinical questions from each of the senior Captains.
As for those technical questions posed to me, I did managed to answer most of it but not all.
Those that I was not sure, I will just be frank to them and say "not sure" or " I don't know the answer" instead of bs my way through.

Right after the interview, and before the sim check, you will be given a "briefing" by one of the senior captain.
Basically he is just confirming that the sim profile that you have been given by the agent is up to date.
He will go through the entire profile with you.
During this stage, I was asked if I would prefer to have the "Speedtape" version of PFD or the older version of it, which I call it the "F/S tape" (as in fast/slow).
I did not know until this point that I have the luxury to choose my version of speedtape.
I chose the newer digital speedtape for my PFD (regretted it somehow, as I've been bunk flying using the F/S tape all these while)

Sim profile was exactly as per the package given by the agent.
Most difficult for me was the visual approach, followed by the S/E profile and easiest was the VOR profile.
Well, that is only for my case.

For the sim check, 1 captain will be sitting on the other seat to assist, another running the sim and the third one will watch you like a hawk from the middle.
They will watch and take notes on every little thing you do/missed.
They even noticed that I was not looking at my speedtape just prior to rotation.

Some tips general tips for the sim check:
You're suppose to glance the speedtape when the PM says "V-R" before you actually move the control column.
Your thumb should be away from the trim switch if you're not trimming.
You can fly with both hands as long as the A/T is ON and working. That's told to me by one of the checker when I was placing one of my hand on the thrust lever "guarding it". Not required according to him.
Say "Left/Right clear" as applicable, everytime before initiating a turn.

Now, as for the Visual profile, yes, cadence mentioned by Fratemate works very well and gives you plenty of time to adjust your profile during base turn.
One thing i learnt during my visual approach. My speed was spot on when you look at the speedtape on PFD. However, my thrust correction to achive the speed was varying by +/- 5% or so (the thrust lever is a little sensitive as well for a first timer on a 767 sim).
According to the checker, I must stay within +/-2% only, so my 5% was way too much for them.
I had a positive landing, not hard at all but definitely not a greaser for sure. And the checker behind was saying "VIP onboard!"
Not sure if they're just trying ease the tense in the sim or they really don't like my landing.

I had my interview and sim check during the day and the result came in the same evening.
Unfortunately I did not make it. No reasons given. Strongly believe I flunked the sim session.
According to my agent, the only thing that counts is the sim check, the interview/paper exam was irrelevant.
Not sure to what extend though as even the agent does not know the reason for my failure.

By the way, all these happened more than a year ago but I guess nothing much has changed.

I had recently resubmit my application again to my agent.

Shocking to know AJX does not accept second try for DEC applicants (this was not told to me last year by my agent).
This has been confirmed by my agent as they made a call to AJX (well that's what they told me).
That is their current "policy" now it seems. Not sure why.
Rather disappointed to know this actually.

I'm having high hope still. Will try again next year. Hopefully they will review their "policy".

To those who are applying, especially DEC, best of luck, and give it your best shot.

Gambatte Kudasai!

Fifi dear sir thank you for your feedback hope you get more lucky on your next try . Would you please shear your experience on the questions asked on the written exam as well as the tech questions they asked you during your interview that would be highly appreciated

gtseraf
15th Feb 2020, 21:15
MBA, I like your optimism but NO!

The Dominican
15th Feb 2020, 21:54
Is there a sign on bonus for those of us that held a JACAB ATPL (Lapsed) but are rated on a 767 on a different licence?
Seriously? With pretty much 70% of the guys in the sandbox looking for options, over 400 expat pilots being let go in China, TC shutting down on the EU and Flybe on the way to shutting down, Air Italy just shut down operations... Air Japan is not having problems right now with applications.

MBA747
15th Feb 2020, 23:16
Dominican
I take your point. However having jumped through the JCAB hoops which I would not describe as straight forward and in fact in some cases ridiculous and seeing the failure rate. I would have thought that they would have provided some incentive to join Air Japan having proved that one could successfully negotiate the obstacle course and I would assume a shorter training period.

gtseraf
16th Feb 2020, 00:42
MBA, you are assuming they actually see the jumping through the hoops as a rewardable achievement. You and I see the cost this exercise has on individuals and their families, the company is oblivious or chooses to ignore it. I often think they see it is a privilege to work for them. Cynical, yes, jaded, yes.

galdian
16th Feb 2020, 06:25
MBA I think your thoughts are well intentioned and reasonable however reveal no understanding of the Japanese aviation (social?) psychology.
Surprising if you've been here and experienced the wonders before.

Cheers

The Dominican
16th Feb 2020, 14:25
Dominican
I take your point. However having jumped through the JCAB hoops which I would not describe as straight forward and in fact in some cases ridiculous and seeing the failure rate. I would have thought that they would have provided some incentive to join Air Japan having proved that one could successfully negotiate the obstacle course and I would assume a shorter training period.
100% In agreemnet with gtseraf! Sorry to have to say this since what you have said is supposed to make sense right? But I've learned that our logic is not their logic, they simply couldn't care less if you have a JCAB license or not, they will run you through the Whak A Mole table regardless of your experience before you join, and then selectively run you through it again independently of how many years you've been here.

cptkris
16th Feb 2020, 23:46
hi nuggets.

everything you need is provided by CREw. I am not sure how good the other recruitment firms are.

i didn’t buy any prep ware except for having a flight sim on my pc and the aforementioned ATPL prep question app which was only a few $

[
QUOTE=Chacken_Nuggets;10617215]Hey Cptn Kris,

I am a little confused about the sim prep. Did you buy study guides or a sim prep xourse on the 67 before you did the sim eval? Or was the 12 hrs (6 ground + 6 sim) provided by CREW with the interview/eval.

I see you had done your due diligence with the paper trainer Were the study guide and manuals provided ahead of time or only just prior to the eval? Or purchased through the sim prep.

CN[/QUOTE]

Who stole my meds
2nd Mar 2020, 11:31
Does anyone know if interviews are still taking place or have they been deferred due to the Corona Virus?

The Dominican
2nd Mar 2020, 11:41
Does anyone know if interviews are still taking place or have they been deferred due to the Corona Virus?
They are asking pilots to take Leave and Short working months. But on the other hand I'm sure that interviews are in full swing and that they are still saying that you will upgrade on the 76 in 3 to 4 years although the upgrade courses on the 76 are coming to an end!

Welcome to AJX, it's all about the office politics!

Who stole my meds
3rd Mar 2020, 03:23
They are asking pilots to take Leave and Short working months. But on the other hand I'm sure that interviews are in full swing and that they are still saying that you will upgrade on the 76 in 3 to 4 years although the upgrade courses on the 76 are coming to an end!

Thanks Dominican.

montema
8th Mar 2020, 07:21

Hi Dominican,

what do you mean when you say that upgrade courses on the 76 are coming to an end? You mean upgrades would be done on the 787? Or that upgrades in general are not going to happen soon?
If first officers are transitioned to the 78 at some point, that would mean upgrade well above the 4 year average right?

regards

jrmyl
8th Mar 2020, 08:22
First officers are currently in and going to the 787. So yes, at some point they are going to start upgrades on the 787. No one knows what is going to happen in the future here. The 767 is on its way out so upgrades will stop on it. My guess, (and that's all it is) is that they will stop within the next year. After that they will start the 787 upgrades.

gtseraf
8th Mar 2020, 10:10
they will be doing upgrades on both 767 and 787 this coming fiscal year (april 2020 to March 2021), not confirmed how many on which fleet, apparently total 16 upgrades.

gcvallesiBR
10th Mar 2020, 03:29
Hello guys. I have just received an email that my profile has been approved for DEC assessment, through Parc. I am not sure when this will happen given the whole corona virus thing, but they are selecting candidates for assessment.
Has anyone interviewed in the last few months an can share their experience?

Range73
11th Mar 2020, 10:58
Hi guys, also doing DEC assessment shortly, thanks for all the info.

Just a short question, if admitted are there a lot of people send away during training like in China, or are you accepted and helped pass the training? Just trying to assess the risk of ending up empty handed and jobless after 6-8 months.

Cheers

jrmyl
12th Mar 2020, 08:25

Just a short question, if admitted are there a lot of people send away during training like in China, or are you accepted and helped pass the training? Just trying to assess the risk of ending up empty handed and jobless after 6-8 months.

Cheers
It isn't a difficult training. Just long. If you get with your classmates and talk with the people on course in front of you, you will do fine. You have to study but it isn't that bad. The instructors will not help you. They will answer questions you have but you will learn it on your own. That is why you need to get together with your classmates.

Maydenrider
12th Mar 2020, 20:14
Offered a DEC position at AJX and was about to hand in my resignation. Then Corona struck and I became uneasy leaving a secure job and joining at the bottom of the seniority list on a contract with a company heavily invested in SE Asia routes.
With further investigation, my suspicions were confirmed. B767 flying severely cut back. AJX is overstaffed with B767 Captain’s. DEC’s join in seniority.....below FO’s who joined ahead of them. Any retrenchments or unpaid leave is a serious risk for a DEC.
Suddenly the sandpit is not looking so bad after all.

The Dominican
12th Mar 2020, 21:14

Cheers
That topic has been addressed over the years, there is a risk that exactly that could happen, failure rates vary on experience and attitude but mostly your ability to learn their pedantic ways will determine your success. Historically 20% failure rates on initials for F/O's and DEC's.

The last couple of classes have been pretty successful but that is due to the fact that there were guys coming back to AJX after they left for a few years, there were guys that already had the JCAB license, all those facts are on favor of a high pass rate. Outside of that 20% failures seems to be pretty standard.

sandson
13th Mar 2020, 22:22
They are overstaffed today, yes, mainly because many flights to China, Hong Kong and so on were axed. But you have to bear in mind that if you join today you'll be "available" for them in 8- 10 months which will probably be enough to overcome this Corona Hell crisis.

montema
14th Mar 2020, 15:32
Just came back from TYO. I’d like to thank every AJX pilot actively participating here as what It’s been said in this thread is very important from the very beginning to the very end. Lots of different scenarios and tips have been mentioned here and everything counts. The interview and the sim ain’t easy although it’s pretty straight forward. You know what you’re going to be asked so they want to see a lot of preparation prior to go. It makes sense.

About the process in Japan, arrived late evening and had 2 days of sim. Really important here is to have the profiles very clear prior to arrival. Most of us arrive from other aircraft and its indeed different to fly. My advices here would be:

- Don’t follow the FD, just point at were you want to turn and at the rate you want to turn and let the flight director catch you. If you don’t do it like this you will end up making violent moves as the flight director moves (in the sim) aren’t smooth.

- Always use the descend to drag the aircraft. Ask for flaps any time you push V/S.

- Arm yourself the Autobrake and order the Parking Brake.

- Train your speech. Japanese like it straight to the point and loud. Even if they are hiring you as an FO (my case), they are looking for future captains. Weak or soft voice is considered insecurity or weakness.

- I would strongly recommend to have a look at how the sim and the facilities are left after the Japanese had their go. They always take care of the seatbelts, pedal and seat position, doors or even chairs and tables. Play their game, learn how they behave in their culture. They want to see that you can adapt, if you really want the job, you must show them.

Try to learn all the pitch and power settings in the sim, although in the end, you’ll always have to fly the aircraft. These settings are just a reference.

After the 2 days sim I had a day OFF. Spent it reviewing the ATP and the sim profile. There’s a lot of stuff to remember so give yourself a good amount of days or weeks.

About the interview day, you’re escorted from the hotel to the training center. Now the interviews are held at the new TC of ANA. Massive facilities and beautiful to see and visit. So you can imagine how big it is, there’s 20 sims there and cabin crew are trained (and that’s only in the first floor).

You will start greeting the HR people (in my case I was told that captains and every person involved that they in the assessment had been checked the day before and were free of the virus for my safety). Your will fill some papers and give consent to the process. Make sure you bring all the paperwork with you. They will check everything. It’s a good idea to bring the logbook too. I was asked If I had it with me to take some pictures.

You have 25 minutes to do 20 questions of ATP. Straight forward and it looks they are completely random. Some are easy some are crazy.

About 15 minutes later you go to the interview room and are told about the profile. 3 captains, 2 HR and one person in charge of the computer and projector. Everyone is very nice, warm welcome, shaked hands and bowed. Alll of them are smiling the hole time, I suggest you do the same. They explain exactly how they want the profile. What you have to ask for and repeat 1000 times that even if you’re a FO they want you to be the captain. They wont do anything unless you ask for it. It takes about an hour and one of the captains will be going through the hole profile until you agree that you understood everything. Any questions you have, ask them. They will lovely answer any weird question you have, but they will be clear. Ask your PM to do anything you want. Use common sense with this, you cant order your PM to report something in the next leg or something like that. Just give him the orders.

Then you have free time (about an hour) and you start with your personality test. 567 questions exactly.

An hour later you go to the interview. Exactly the same place as before with the same people. HR will start asking about the company and how do you feel there, if your travel was pleasant and if you trained in the SIM. If so, they’ll ask you your thoughts about it. Then captains will ask one by one their stuff. If you come from the 737 (my case) you will probably have one captain that flies it or has flown it recently. You can tell because one captain will ask about performance, tech and ICAO procedures (memory items, flaps, landing gear); another one will ask about Air law (comm loss, light gun…) and the last one will ask about equipment in your aircraft and related procedures (EGPWS, WS, TCAS…).

Everything is pretty straight forward, although the performance and air law questions sometimes might surprise you a bit (tyre pressures, hydroplaning speeds, light guns…), be prepared for the ATP, I think they guide their questions regarding your answers in the prior exam, as it has been stated before.

Then back to HR and last questions about conmuting, distance from the airport to your place, etc.

You’ll have about one hour to keep going with the personality test and you go to the sim. So far they’ve been so nice that I was not nervous at all. It kinda looked you were barbecuing with them. They were very nice, prepared the aircraft for me and invited me to sit down and relax. You’ll start with a Autoland, they will tell you to check the N1, pitch settings and how you go down to 3 reds on the PAPI in the last 100ft.

Then a visual approach. I wasn’t practically corrected anything. Just was told to check more the instruments and when I told them I was doing it, the PM told me to exaggerate the movement. They were very clear with that.

You then start the official assessment. VISUAL, VOR and SE ILS. Nothing new here, just make sure you work hard prior to arrival in TYO so you take advantage of the sim sessions as much as possible. Very short briefings but make them correctly and checking everything. They want speeds, minimas, AB, and you to read the top part of the plate. Missed app? “Standard missed approach” and you brief the first 5 steps of the go around. That’s it. They don’t want anything else. Now, with the motion everything is much easier than in the FBS, so don’t worry if altitude or speed or trimming is difficult, you’ll feel more comfortable with the motion ON.

Once you finish, remember to leave everything OFF (as much as you know or can) and stow your headset, seats and harnesses. You’ll be told to go back to do your test and that everything has finished.

Once you finish your test you’ll be escorted back to your hotel. I was the only one being assessed and I started at 1500LT and finished at 2300LT. So it’s a long day. If there’s more candidates it might take until 3 or 4 in the morning I was told.

In my case I was successful at the screening and interview so at about midnight I was contacted by email to be told to go the next afternoon to the ANA medical center. It took 4 hours. Then go to the town, have a nice dinner to celebrate it and go back home the next day.

It’s a very demanding week, I took me 7 days to go though everything. Overall, again, everyone very very polite, super nice people and an unforgettable assessment. To be honest we had some laughs at the interview. They are very smiley and have a good sense of humor (something I didn’t know they had).

Thanks to everyone here again that has been for years maintaining this thread alive and active and helping us without having anything in exchange. I should be starting in July or September if the medical goes well.

Lots of luck for the guys going now to TYO!!!

jrmyl
15th Mar 2020, 03:15
Congratulations Montema. Very good write up.

15th Mar 2020, 04:39
Just came back from TYO. I’d like to thank every AJX pilot actively participating here as what It’s been said in this thread is very important from the very beginning to the very end. Lots of different scenarios and tips have been mentioned here and everything counts. The interview and the sim ain’t easy although it’s pretty straight forward. You know what you’re going to be asked so they want to see a lot of preparation prior to go. It makes sense.

About the process in Japan, arrived late evening and had 2 days of sim. Really important here is to have the profiles very clear prior to arrival. Most of us arrive from other aircraft and its indeed different to fly. My advices here would be:

- Don’t follow the FD, just point at were you want to turn and at the rate you want to turn and let the flight director catch you. If you don’t do it like this you will end up making violent moves as the flight director moves (in the sim) aren’t smooth.

- Always use the descend to drag the aircraft. Ask for flaps any time you push V/S.

- Arm yourself the Autobrake and order the Parking Brake.

- Train your speech. Japanese like it straight to the point and loud. Even if they are hiring you as an FO (my case), they are looking for future captains. Weak or soft voice is considered insecurity or weakness.

- I would strongly recommend to have a look at how the sim and the facilities are left after the Japanese had their go. They always take care of the seatbelts, pedal and seat position, doors or even chairs and tables. Play their game, learn how they behave in their culture. They want to see that you can adapt, if you really want the job, you must show them.

Try to learn all the pitch and power settings in the sim, although in the end, you’ll always have to fly the aircraft. These settings are just a reference.

After the 2 days sim I had a day OFF. Spent it reviewing the ATP and the sim profile. There’s a lot of stuff to remember so give yourself a good amount of days or weeks.

About the interview day, you’re escorted from the hotel to the training center. Now the interviews are held at the new TC of ANA. Massive facilities and beautiful to see and visit. So you can imagine how big it is, there’s 20 sims there and cabin crew are trained (and that’s only in the first floor).

You will start greeting the HR people (in my case I was told that captains and every person involved that they in the assessment had been checked the day before and were free of the virus for my safety). Your will fill some papers and give consent to the process. Make sure you bring all the paperwork with you. They will check everything. It’s a good idea to bring the logbook too. I was asked If I had it with me to take some pictures.

You have 25 minutes to do 20 questions of ATP. Straight forward and it looks they are completely random. Some are easy some are crazy.

About 15 minutes later you go to the interview room and are told about the profile. 3 captains, 2 HR and one person in charge of the computer and projector. Everyone is very nice, warm welcome, shaked hands and bowed. Alll of them are smiling the hole time, I suggest you do the same. They explain exactly how they want the profile. What you have to ask for and repeat 1000 times that even if you’re a FO they want you to be the captain. They wont do anything unless you ask for it. It takes about an hour and one of the captains will be going through the hole profile until you agree that you understood everything. Any questions you have, ask them. They will lovely answer any weird question you have, but they will be clear. Ask your PM to do anything you want. Use common sense with this, you cant order your PM to report something in the next leg or something like that. Just give him the orders.

Then you have free time (about an hour) and you start with your personality test. 567 questions exactly.

An hour later you go to the interview. Exactly the same place as before with the same people. HR will start asking about the company and how do you feel there, if your travel was pleasant and if you trained in the SIM. If so, they’ll ask you your thoughts about it. Then captains will ask one by one their stuff. If you come from the 737 (my case) you will probably have one captain that flies it or has flown it recently. You can tell because one captain will ask about performance, tech and ICAO procedures (memory items, flaps, landing gear); another one will ask about Air law (comm loss, light gun…) and the last one will ask about equipment in your aircraft and related procedures (EGPWS, WS, TCAS…).

Everything is pretty straight forward, although the performance and air law questions sometimes might surprise you a bit (tyre pressures, hydroplaning speeds, light guns…), be prepared for the ATP, I think they guide their questions regarding your answers in the prior exam, as it has been stated before.

Then back to HR and last questions about conmuting, distance from the airport to your place, etc.

You’ll have about one hour to keep going with the personality test and you go to the sim. So far they’ve been so nice that I was not nervous at all. It kinda looked you were barbecuing with them. They were very nice, prepared the aircraft for me and invited me to sit down and relax. You’ll start with a Autoland, they will tell you to check the N1, pitch settings and how you go down to 3 reds on the PAPI in the last 100ft.

Then a visual approach. I wasn’t practically corrected anything. Just was told to check more the instruments and when I told them I was doing it, the PM told me to exaggerate the movement. They were very clear with that.

You then start the official assessment. VISUAL, VOR and SE ILS. Nothing new here, just make sure you work hard prior to arrival in TYO so you take advantage of the sim sessions as much as possible. Very short briefings but make them correctly and checking everything. They want speeds, minimas, AB, and you to read the top part of the plate. Missed app? “Standard missed approach” and you brief the first 5 steps of the go around. That’s it. They don’t want anything else. Now, with the motion everything is much easier than in the FBS, so don’t worry if altitude or speed or trimming is difficult, you’ll feel more comfortable with the motion ON.

Once you finish, remember to leave everything OFF (as much as you know or can) and stow your headset, seats and harnesses. You’ll be told to go back to do your test and that everything has finished.

Once you finish your test you’ll be escorted back to your hotel. I was the only one being assessed and I started at 1500LT and finished at 2300LT. So it’s a long day. If there’s more candidates it might take until 3 or 4 in the morning I was told.

In my case I was successful at the screening and interview so at about midnight I was contacted by email to be told to go the next afternoon to the ANA medical center. It took 4 hours. Then go to the town, have a nice dinner to celebrate it and go back home the next day.

It’s a very demanding week, I took me 7 days to go though everything. Overall, again, everyone very very polite, super nice people and an unforgettable assessment. To be honest we had some laughs at the interview. They are very smiley and have a good sense of humor (something I didn’t know they had).

Thanks to everyone here again that has been for years maintaining this thread alive and active and helping us without having anything in exchange. I should be starting in July or September if the medical goes well.

Lots of luck for the guys going now to TYO!!!

As an ex AJX pilot, I will say to any future prospect, if you want to succeed in selection, THIS is how you do it.

This gentleman has displayed the exact attitude the Japanese are after. If you follow this guys advice from start to finish, you will get the job....... if you want it lol.

cptkris
16th Mar 2020, 08:26
Any insights or advice with regards to which agency is best: CReW or Longreach Aviation?

I went with crew and couldn’t be happier with the support for the interview prep. Longreach I believe is the same contract but the benefits are ability to do sim prep in australia prior to travelling to Tokyo. With crew the sim prep is in Tokyo in the ANA sim, and as such you’ll need an extra 3 days on the ground, making it a 5-6 day trip for the interview. They also have slightly more comprehensive training notes, but with crew you’ll get a couple of one on one coaching calls with a check pilot.
Both will prep you very well for the interview.

gtseraf
16th Mar 2020, 09:54
at this stage, Crew appear to have the better package available and definitely communicate better with their employees. The latest issues with the virus have definitely illustrated this. BTW, I am employed by the other company. There are a few other issues which support this, in fact, some would quite happily change to Crew if they had the opportunity.

Fratemate
16th Mar 2020, 12:37
BTW, I am employed by the other company. There are a few other issues which support this, in fact, some would quite happily change to Crew if they had the opportunity

PARC are an absolute disgrace, both in the recent reduction in medical cover (which will barely buy you a bandage and some Aspirin) and now the blatant lack of initiative in gaining any protections for their pilots or in communicating anything useful about the current situation. CREW are getting regular updates, with new news. PARC's rep is on leave and has, in the two emails sent, just said nothing.....unless "wash you hands" or "standby" is considered useful. What else would we be doing :ugh:

I don't know who would stay with PARC if CREW said "come on in". The non-poaching agreement has been used as a reason for turning down requests to do so but there is certainly no need to poach. There's no need for CREW to even ask; just say "yes".

j.nips
17th Mar 2020, 05:18
Rishworth posted an ad for type-rated B787 FO-s for Air Japan.

The Dominican
19th Mar 2020, 22:59
Rishworth posted an ad for type-rated B787 FO-s for Air Japan.
The shield of invincibility with this contract is simply not there, the whole reassurance that the company "will keep hiring" is based on hope more than financial reality.

The effects of this long term are still unknown, for the first time on all the years that I've been here I'm getting the feeling that unless the pandemic doesn't begin to subside in the next couple of months this could very well be the end of AJX.

gtseraf
19th Mar 2020, 23:07
well said!

bringbackthe80s
21st Mar 2020, 06:00
The shield of invincibility with this contract is simply not there, the whole reassurance that the company "will keep hiring" is based on hope more than financial reality.

The effects of this long term are still unknown, for the first time on all the years that I've been here I'm getting the feeling that unless the pandemic doesn't begin to subside in the next couple of months this could very well be the end of AJX.

Surely ANA would get government’s financial support if this was to continue longer than 1 or 2
months. Would AJX not be included in this?

gtseraf
21st Mar 2020, 07:08
that would be great to see but one never knows how these things work

The Dominican
21st Mar 2020, 09:13
Surely ANA would get government’s financial support if this was to continue longer than 1 or 2
months. Would AJX not be included in this?
That's not my point, I'm not concerned with mainline ANA's ability to ride the storm, they have a lot of cash at hand and credit lines since they've been profitable even in down times like the Swine flu and The Fukushima disaster days.

My point is that we are contractors, if mainline makes the desicion to ground a large portions of its fleet that means mainline pilots sent home, I very much doubt that the mainline pilots union would be ok with mainline guys on forced LOA's while the gaijin are still at work, and lets face it, they would have a valid point!

The Dominican
21st Mar 2020, 09:32
Our existence as support contractors to the group has always been predicated on progress for the mainline pilots group not being affected by our participation, in previous downturns the group just plowed ahead betting on the temporary effect of the downturn and thus far, they've been proven right, and at none of this events the mainline pilots had their career progression nor T&C's affected. A grounding of a portion of the mainline fleet and mainline pilots forced on leave as a result would by like nothing AJX had faced before within the group.

You tell me, What would your reaction be if you get an LOA letter while a subsidiary with contract pilots continues ahead business as usual?

I already went through this back in my regional days after 9/11, negotiations had to be made and people where furloughed and displaced while mainline guys took the captain's seats. I realize is not a good comparison since the Japanese labour relations with their company is very strange to say the least, but there is something all pilots have in common! None of us likes to be displaced by contractors.

j.nips
22nd Mar 2020, 00:29
I wonder what would be the case for foreigners who are NOT contractors, for example in Peach, JJP, etc.

drop24
24th Mar 2020, 18:33
Is Air Japan still hiring at this time or have they stopped? If they are hiring would the contract agencies ever consider employing someone who is on a voluntary LOA from another airline, or do you need to cut ties?

gtseraf
24th Mar 2020, 22:02
Drop, in the past, AJX has hired pilots who are on LOA from other airlines, so I see no reason why they won't do it now.

Best is to contact a recruitment company, CREW at this stage is the better company to work through. They will have the best answers available

BasilBrush3301
25th Mar 2020, 03:27
Hi,

Thanks for all of the info in the thread.
Was just wondering which contract is the best overall for a New Zealander at the moment? Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 👍🏻

gtseraf
25th Mar 2020, 21:32
Basil, if you look at the reply just before your question, CREW appears to be the best option for contract company at this stage.

BasilBrush3301
25th Mar 2020, 22:09
Thanks gtseraf.

I did read that post and CREW appears to be the best option.
I was just wondering if any of the other contracts were preferred specifically by New Zealanders, and if so, why?

Thanks

gtseraf
26th Mar 2020, 00:43
ok, no worries.

mark one eyeball
30th Mar 2020, 20:20
I hear rumour ANA management about to close down gaijin jobs in air japan

gtseraf
30th Mar 2020, 21:22
anything is possible at this stage

mark one eyeball
30th Mar 2020, 21:32
Best to jump a sinking ship early

gtseraf
30th Mar 2020, 22:04
that sounds like advice from someone who is very happy to see an operation shut down. In times like this, most ships are sinking, so jumping now could be a futile exercise. To be brutally realistic, a contract operation is always at risk, AJX has run for a long time and has proven to be very rewarding for both company and most pilots involved. One would hope, for the sake of the pilots still there and those who would like to join, that it does not close down permanently.

A more realistic scenario is a temporary shut down of some operations for a while, then a ramp up when things improve.

mark one eyeball
30th Mar 2020, 22:20
I recall not so long ago JALways got rid off those hard working gaijins in a second of the downturn

gtseraf
30th Mar 2020, 22:38
Mark One, you appear to be quite excited about the possibility. Please take your exuberance elsewhere, There are a lot of people who are in a world of hurt financially right now and others looking at, possibly, desperate times ahead. Now is the time we need to be looking at positives and supporting each other, not sniping.

BTW, I have been contacted by many people who want to jump ship to these very Japanese operations, this illustrates how bad things are worldwide.

Absolutely
31st Mar 2020, 06:05
Mark One, thanks for the sound advice of jumping the sinking ship early. I'll do that tomorrow and join another airline!

The Dominican
2nd Apr 2020, 11:42
Best to jump a sinking ship early
The whole industry is in shambles and the bottom is nowhere in sight now because after the pandemic is under control, then comes the inevitable recession that might be even worse than the pandemic.

My point with this is that I wouldn't be so happy about the difficult situation of other pilot groups, you don't know if this downturn will come knocking at your door!

mark one eyeball
3rd Apr 2020, 21:52
I guess parc will be the first to jump ship, they look after themselves well
lucky for anyone not with them
good luck!

Absolutely
4th Apr 2020, 07:40
I guess parc will be the first to jump ship, they look after themselves well
lucky for anyone not with them
good luck!

Why pray tell would a contract company jump ship?

Buttscratcher
5th Apr 2020, 20:08
Hey Dom, gtseraf, and all.
Hope you guys are all ok over there.
I guess commuting back home is out of the question for a while.

I'm not looking for a job, but I thought I'd ask how this is affecting Japan Aviation and life in general.
Looking online, there's no real info on how much frequency JAL and ANA have lost.
Qantas, for example, has cancelled all international flying, and is down to about 30% domestic.
Australian State boarders are closed, and Pubs, Restaurants shutdown, and outside gatherings are limited to 2 people.
What's the story over there?

Stay safe guys

The Dominican
5th Apr 2020, 21:34
Hey Dom, gtseraf, and all.
Hope you guys are all ok over there.
I guess commuting back home is out of the question for a while.

I'm not looking for a job, but I thought I'd ask how this is affecting Japan Aviation and life in general.
Looking online, there's no real info on how much frequency JAL and ANA have lost.
Qantas, for example, has cancelled all international flying, and is down to about 30% domestic.
Australian State boarders are closed, and Pubs, Restaurants shutdown, and outside gatherings are limited to 2 people.
What's the story over there?

Stay safe guys
More of the same, many international cancellations but the domestic side of things has continued although there is a little reduction there as well. The cargo side of things has continued fairly strong but we are confined to quarters when we overnight, many folks requested leave on April as did I but I'm stuck in Japan since many flights and destinations got cancelled so I had to stay, I hope that I'll be able to get back home later on, let's see.

For May we don't know but the fact that there hasn't been further reductions is encouraging, ANA is in a better position than most economically so they will ride the storm ok.

Buttscratcher
6th Apr 2020, 08:34
Thanks Dom. Are you expecting any 'lockdowns' in Tokyo?

mijbil
6th Apr 2020, 17:28
Good day Dominican and to the other regular contributors to this thread. As advised, I have gone through them right back to the beginning in 2006 when you, D, were considering ANA. Clearly it's been a good run since then for you and others. Back on March 19th you posted this

Obviously, everyone's crystal ball is a bit cloudy these days. Are you still thinking that it's game over three weeks after that post? I had thought of applying to ANA before this whole circus began, and was trimming down my 'fat bastard index' (BMI) to below 29. The ad is still up on Crew, CAE/Parc, Longreach, and Rishworth. The guys from my old company who are there now told me to go with Crew these days.
This will reverse itself and even if it does not come back to Dec 2019 levels for travel, there will (I think) still be a worldwide pilot shortage. I know that here in North America the flying schools are certainly not as full as they used to be (the next generation) and even prior to this massive downturn, the regionals and small operators were feeling the pinch. What is your guess for the future at AJX ? Are the Japanese going to keep you guys on, knowing that it will pass or at least offer some sort of 'layoff' - however that might work for a contractor? Thanks for the reply.

The Dominican
7th Apr 2020, 01:45
Thanks Dom. Are you expecting any 'lockdowns' in Tokyo?
Yes, apparently the Prime Minister will speak today and it is expected that he will order just that, I'm on my way to the supermarket to try and stock up on what I need. That will have further impact on the job here, as to how long, we don't know.

The Dominican
7th Apr 2020, 01:52
What is your guess for the future at AJX ? Are the Japanese going to keep you guys on, knowing that it will pass or at least offer some sort of 'layoff' - however that might work for a contractor? Thanks for the reply.
I wish I could tell you an answer, any answer positive or negative. At this point we just don't know.

The cases of Coronavirus have increased dramatically here in Japan on the last week or so, we are expecting a lockdown to be announced today and if that happens, well that would throw a big wrench into the machine at AJX.

Stallone
7th Apr 2020, 09:23
I wish I could tell you an answer, any answer positive or negative. At this point we just don't know.

The cases of Coronavirus have increased dramatically here in Japan on the last week or so, we are expecting a lockdown to be announced today and if that happens, well that would throw a big wrench into the machine at AJX.
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/uk-pm-intensive-care-europe-virus-cases-slow-live-updates-200406231645506.html

state of emergency declared

The Dominican
7th Apr 2020, 11:45
A state of emergency was declared but they didn’t go as far as to quarantine everyone, public transport continue to operate and the airlines as well, although there are numerous travel restrictions in place. We continue to operate so far.

The Range
7th Apr 2020, 21:29
Yes, apparently the Prime Minister will speak today and it is expected that he will order just that, I'm on my way to the supermarket to try and stock up on what I need. That will have further impact on the job here, as to how long, we don't know.
Wouldn't you be able to go home for the length of the lockdown?

bringbackthe80s
8th Apr 2020, 01:12
As of 3rd April if you leave you are not allowed to step foot in Japan until further notice (unless you are a Japanese passport holder).

The Dominican
8th Apr 2020, 03:53
Wouldn't you be able to go home for the length of the lockdown?
Yes of course! But I'm getting older so a month won't be enough to swim home!

Come on compadre! How? There are no flights!

ACJDriver
8th Apr 2020, 04:02
As of 3rd April if you leave you are not allowed to step foot in Japan until further notice (unless you are a Japanese passport holder).

As far as I know, Japanese residents (on spouse visa, or some other visas) are allowed back in but will need to self quarantine for 14 days.

Titan Slave
8th Apr 2020, 07:32
Hi All and Regular Contributors,

I hope you are all keeping well in Japan with everything going on in the world and in Asia. Although it might not ever eventuate because of the obvious world issues, I have just begun the application process for an FO position with AJX.

Although it has been answered, I was just wanted to confirm the BMI part of the medical as I am about to embark on some pretty drastic dieting/starvation.
Always been quite stocky and years of swimming and weight training hasn't helped. Fit and healthy as such otherwise.

Just wanted to confirm (once and for all) that BMI 29 is a hard limit and even if you are extremely low body fat being above 29 would be a MEDICAL FAIL?
I shall make attempt to make it work if so. Literally planning on starving myself Christian Bale Machinist style to lose muscle if I have to and my application goes ahead.

Thanks so much, and sorry for the repetition of the question.

regards, TS.

gtseraf
8th Apr 2020, 07:44
as far as I understand, these are hard limits, unfortunately, no allowance is made for well built, tall people. We all have to fit in a specific box, which is tailored to the average Japanese person, not the average Westerner. Good luck with your efforts.

galdian
8th Apr 2020, 08:46
Titan

Just stating the obvious, this is not a one off check, there will be at least one more (maybe more) before you ever start training if successful and then one per year until 60.

If you struggle with the 29 (thought it was 30?) BMI limit due your body shape/muscle building...whatever....this will be ongoing.

Interestingly the Koreans do not have a hard BMI limit anymore (there's a story there) but it remains a non-negotiable aspect from the Japanese for now.

Cheers, good luck.

Titan Slave
8th Apr 2020, 09:00
Thanks to all for the responses.

Absolutely I realise its an ongoing thing that I would have to make sure I am below through changing body shape/diet etc. for years to come.
29 I was told was for the interview through the agency I am dealing with (they said they wouldn't send me unless I am below that), but I below 30 was the number quoted for JCAB. Just wasn't sure if there was a skin fold test or something to back that up, but seems not unfortunately.

Only just recently lost my job due to the current circumstances last week, so no matter how hard it might be even with a slither of hope should the opportunity present itself I would be willing to make it work. Little bit hard to see how any recruitment would happening in this current environment, but nonetheless I shall press on.

Cheers and take care lads.

oshibori
8th Apr 2020, 09:19
As far as I know, Japanese residents (on spouse visa, or some other visas) are allowed back in but will need to self quarantine for 14 days.
Most AJX pilots are not Japanese residents therefore if they are currently in Japan they can work. If not (because they are on days off in their respective countries) they can not go back to work.

The Range
8th Apr 2020, 18:13
Yes of course! But I'm getting older so a month won't be enough to swim home!

Come on compadre! How? There are no flights!
I thought there were still a few flights. Some airlines are still flying around the world. Or you could get a ride on a cargo flight. I don't know, you're better informed than me, that's why I was asking.

The Dominican
9th Apr 2020, 01:40
I thought there were still a few flights. Some airlines are still flying around the world. Or you could get a ride on a cargo flight. I don't know, you're better informed than me, that's why I was asking.
It is extremely limited to many places where the pilot group commutes to and then there are the connecting flight which is my major issue.

We don't have any jumpseat agreements at all, we can't even ride on our own freighters so catching a ride on a freighter is not an option.

The Range
9th Apr 2020, 11:33
It is extremely limited to many places where the pilot group commutes to and then there are the connecting flight which is my major issue.

We don't have any jumpseat agreements at all, we can't even ride on our own freighters so catching a ride on a freighter is not an option.
Sorry about that

Un saludo

LNAV VNAV -
10th Apr 2020, 07:33
Could anyone provide some information about the conversion of an EASA ATPL with A320 type rating to a Japanese ATPL. Specifically, if one gets a job with a Japanese airline, what kind of exams are required and approximately how long does it take? Is there a database of questions for written and aural exams?

Thanks in advance!

jrmyl
11th Apr 2020, 17:50
Could anyone provide some information about the conversion of an EASA ATPL with A320 type rating to a Japanese ATPL. Specifically, if one gets a job with a Japanese airline, what kind of exams are required and approximately how long does it take? Is there a database of questions for written and aural exams?

Thanks in advance!

No databases. Most interview written questions are based on the FAA ATP exam. As far as conversions, there is no conversion. You will get a JCAB ATPL at the end of training. Training is about 6-8 months long. You take a couple of different test. It's been 10 years for me so can't' remember exactly but I do remember a Radio exam and a Law exam.

By the way, all of this info is in this thread.

flamingmoe
12th Apr 2020, 00:29
Dont sell your soul to a job in iapan
they are a sad culture
dont lose ur self respect for money

could you be any more vague, Mr Positive?

LNAV VNAV -
12th Apr 2020, 05:28
Dont sell your soul to a job in iapan
they are a sad culture
dont lose ur self respect for money

ok but I’m not sure if me keeping my soul, will be much of a consolation to my starving children! :rolleyes:

Absolutely
12th Apr 2020, 07:56

Thanks in advance!

This is a common misconception with this job. You do not have to re-do ATPL subjects again. All the references to getting a Japanese ATPL mean after your training is complete you will be issued with a Japanese ATPL. Written exams are the usual system questions, air law and a radio exam which was last updated in 1950! That's all.

King on a Wing
15th Apr 2020, 16:10
I’m currently flying the 787 as skipper in the Middle East. Is Air Japan genuinely recruiting B767 NTR skippers currently or are they putting all applications on hold ?
Just wondering very seriously
🤔

The Dominican
16th Apr 2020, 00:30
I’m currently flying the 787 as skipper in the Middle East. Is Air Japan genuinely recruiting B767 NTR skippers currently or are they putting all applications on hold ?
Just wondering very seriously
🤔
If you are interested just put in your app, at this point we don't really know if by June we will be recalled back to work or if this is the end of AJX. We don't know what's going to happen

bringbackthe80s
16th Apr 2020, 02:38
I get the feeling there is a lot of interest in working in this part of the world lately.
Maybe people might be under the impression Japan is immune from the toughest aviation crisis in history. Unfortunately it is not.
By all means apply anywhere you want, but do not think this is a safe heaven or a last resort, because it’s neither.

King on a Wing
16th Apr 2020, 03:40
If you are interested just put in your app, at this point we don't really know if by June we will be recalled back to work or if this is the end of AJX. We don't know what's going to happen

So I understand sir that you are ( were ) currently employed with AJX. And are currently on a leave of absence due the Covid pandemic ?
Expected to return in June ?

The Dominican
17th Apr 2020, 10:04
King on a Wing April they requested voluntary leave and many pilots took it, May is involuntary leave for almost everyone (Trainees and a skeleton crew on the 76 for a handful of freighter flights) June they are expecting that we will work a short month with reduced pay but that is extremely unlikely since the pandemic is not looking at all like it is slowing down. So yeah! This is worldwide and AJX is most definitely not immune to the effects.

Just look at KAL, China Airlines, EVA, Singapore Airlines, Most of the airlines in China, Air Asia! The majority of the expat pilot force in all of Asia is idle right now.

FutureCaptain86
20th Apr 2020, 19:03
I got a response to my application to AJX last week. Not sure what this means? Registration of interest? Starting recruiting again?

gtseraf
20th Apr 2020, 22:11
apparently recruitment is ongoing, if anyone is interested in joining, apply, the worst they can say is "no"

mark one eyeball
21st Apr 2020, 16:00
They will say "NO" company shutdown

gtseraf
21st Apr 2020, 21:39
well mark 1, if they do say "NO", what would any prospective applicant have lost. maybe a bit of time filling in the application. As for those of us working there, well ........

Keanuh
22nd Apr 2020, 03:19
Really don’t think there will be any company Needs new pilots this year....unless there is a vaccine, otherwise pax won’t get their confidence back. The virus won’t just disappear in any short time.

pilot20002000
22nd Apr 2020, 14:18
Rishworth schedules the next interview in May.
As they told me, I have to spend 8-10 months in Tokyo.
Am I eligible to bring my family for this term?
Or they provide some travelling opportunity?

Kaboobla
23rd Apr 2020, 05:03
There will be no access to Japan in May. The countries borders are still closed.

You can bring your family but the Japanese will work out a way to fail you as they don't like you doing it. The apartment in Tokyo is monitored by video and reported on.

They do not want gaijins living in Japan any longer than necessary.

You will not receive a visa to live in Japan also so you need to work out how your family can be legal residents. Your kids will not be able to go to local schools either.

Rishworth (as usual) are being less than truthful.

The Dominican
23rd Apr 2020, 06:33
Rishworth schedules the next interview in May.
As they told me, I have to spend 8-10 months in Tokyo.
Am I eligible to bring my family for this term?
Or they provide some travelling opportunity?
I recommend that you read through this thread, it is massive and very old but much of the information is still relevant, just go back a year or two and read from there.

Regarding your questions, the company will provide round trip tickets for your family to come visit you and of course that they can stay in the apartment with you, you are most certainly not being observed on camera, that is just plain BS! Now you do have to maintain a proper behavior while there and it is very simple, whatever would bother you that your neighbors might do, loud noises, late parties, being obnoxious with the staff, just don't do it yourself.

It is incredible that I have to specify that but you won't believe how many people didn't get a good spanking at the appropriate age and are now stupid adults! Basically if your parents had half an idea and turned a normal human into society, you will be fine at the apartment.

The Dominican
23rd Apr 2020, 06:39
One important thing to remember is that your family (assuming they are eligible for the visa waiver program) will come in the country on a 90 day Visa. They MUST NOT overstay their visa, that creates all kinds of issues for the company and therefore to you!

There is a golden rule working for this outfit that must never be forgotten, the best thing is not to place the company's name on a negative light while you are representing it.

Otherwise this is a pretty liberal society!

mark one eyeball
25th Apr 2020, 17:47
There BUT for the grace of god go I
step out of line and ur a gonna... be careful what you wish for

montema
27th Apr 2020, 16:59
Well It's actually $3300 I think for the 4 hours prep, plus an additional $1150 if you want the 8 hours. I don't know how they give back the money now. Until last month the deal was that it would be given back together with your first salary if succesful, or when you come back if not.

SmithF14
2nd May 2020, 19:04
.Hello FutureCaptain86, I got a response as well. Let´s see what will happen. Good luck !

Count von Altibar
3rd May 2020, 13:03
I'd say this job is on freeze like many others until we know the post-lockdown covid-19 situation but I guess worth applying just in case it gets you ahead of the game if it opens up again. A friend of mine who's been put on unpaid leave at another airline is finding that a lot of agency ads are just banners for jobs that are on hold due to the crisis. Let's hope things get going again once the world gets past this nasty virus which it surely will, might take some time though.

Wolf787
10th May 2020, 15:53
Fratemate;

Hi mate, which is exactly the book you were referring to? Buried? can you just give me more details?
Many thanks
Alessandro

lee_apromise
11th May 2020, 16:15
I'd say this job is on freeze like many others until we know the post-lockdown covid-19 situation but I guess worth applying just in case it gets you ahead of the game if it opens up again. A friend of mine who's been put on unpaid leave at another airline is finding that a lot of agency ads are just banners for jobs that are on hold due to the crisis. Let's hope things get going again once the world gets past this nasty virus which it surely will, might take some time though.

ALPA Daily had a link to a news article that says total recruitment freeze at all ANA Group companies.

https://japantoday.com/category/business/ANA-suspends-recruitment-citing-coronavirus-fallout

Sharklet
11th May 2020, 17:40
This one says "Excluding recruiting for pilots, activities to fill other positions will be temporarily halted until the business outlook becomes clear."

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200508/p2g/00m/0bu/116000c

lee_apromise
11th May 2020, 19:12
This one says "Excluding recruiting for pilots, activities to fill other positions will be temporarily halted until the business outlook becomes clear."

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20200508/p2g/00m/0bu/116000c

I hope I am wrong since I am trying to get into AJX but that continuing recruitment of pilots gotta be for Japanese locals.

gtseraf
11th May 2020, 22:20
to those who are keen to join AJX, submit the applications and let the process run its course. NO-ONE knows how long this will last or what it's impact will be.

For now, it appears that the company is keen to continue recruiting, though, with immigration restrictions, the selection process may be on hold for a while.

The worst you can get is a "no", apart from that I do not think anyone has a crystal ball with all the answers. If anyone does, please let me know.

The Dominican
12th May 2020, 16:01
to those who are keen to join AJX, submit the applications and let the process run its course. NO-ONE knows how long this will last or what it's impact will be.
Agreed! Things are bad there is no doubt but, What are the options? You need to keep applying to anything and everything that's out there!
We don't know where this is headed but then again, the ANA group is in a better position than most to weather the storm.
If we get the boot, we'll let it be known!

pilot20002000
12th May 2020, 22:26
Rishworth removed 767 NTR proposition, are there other options to apply for AJX?

montema
14th May 2020, 04:44
Rishworth removed 767 NTR proposition, are there other options to apply for AJX?
From what I heard from recruiters, 767 positions are gone. From now on only 787 candidates will be taken.

mark one eyeball
28th May 2020, 18:15
B787 going soon too

gtseraf
28th May 2020, 22:29
what a positive ray of sunshine you are Mk1

BoxFly
29th May 2020, 08:21
I acknowledge mk1’s lack of sunny disposition however the fact is all recruitment and screening have been suspended. This is mainly due to the difficulty with immigration.

King on a Wing
2nd Jun 2020, 03:51
I think they are still accepting applications for B787 Captain positions. Whether it ends up in something productive considering the covid situation is anyone’s guess.
Wonder if anyone here has got a call for the assessment recently for this position.

BoxFly
2nd Jun 2020, 07:28
If you check CReW's website for the Air Japan job you'll see big red letters that say
"UPDATE 26-MAY
AIR JAPAN HAS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED RECRUITMENT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE."
In addition we have been told by CReW that all recruiting and screening have been suspended until some relief comes from immigration in regards to travel bans.

King on a Wing
2nd Jun 2020, 23:23
Many thanks boxfly.
Take care now. I suppose immigration only opens once flights normalize and thereon.
A true blue wait n watch game 🙄

The Dominican
3rd Jun 2020, 17:48
Is not about immigration nor travel bans, it's about mainline ANA and their reactive plans going forward! It all depends on how much demand there is in the next few months.
If by any reason mainline ANA pilots positions are compromised because of redundancies then as contract pilots we would be at the bottom of that totem pole! Simple as that.

cptkris
7th Jun 2020, 09:53
Can we please keep this awesome thread on the point of the subject.
If you want to argue then maybe keep those in a Private Message instead.

I got a lot of help from this thread back when I was preparing for my interview and I hope it will live on in its excellent and unspoiled form for the future.

as for the current situation; no one knows what will happen, especially not me. However as far as I am aware, though 9/11, SARS and the GFC, AJX have never made any of their pilots redundant; if one had been with a US or European major from what I understand in the last 10-15 years there’s a very good chance or having been furloughed or made redundant at least once.
-past performance is no guarantee of the future of course...

For anyone interested, Nikkei has some good company analysis published.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Companies/ANA-Holdings-Inc2

The Dominican
8th Jun 2020, 11:23
However as far as I am aware, though 9/11, SARS and the GFC, AJX have never made any of their pilots redundant;2 (https://asia.nikkei.com/Companies/ANA-Holdings-Inc2)

The original AJX contract was on the 747 with expat pilots and it was cancelled, all pilots were sent home, eventually when the 767 contract started some selected pilots got interview offers and a handful was hired, we still have one captain from that time.
later on another subsidiary called ANA Wings operating 737's with Japanese and foreign pilots was merged into ANA offering all the Japanese pilots a job at mainline with seat lock provisions and whatnot but all the foreign pilots contracts were cancelled. Some pilots got offers to interview and a handful hired at AJX.

So it is not like the ANA group doesn't have a history of making foreign pilots redundant because they most certainly do.

I believe that this all depends on how ANA will look post Covid19 and how the mainline pilot group will be impacted. If ANA scales back up to the point that Mainline pilots are made redundant, then that would be the end of the AJX experiment in Japan. In the other hand if ANA mainline pilots remain employed on their total number (even if there is downgrades etc.) I think we will be ok at AJX.

Stay tuned.

The Range
8th Jun 2020, 18:02
Dominicano, are you still in Tokio, or you had a chance to go home?

cptkris
8th Jun 2020, 23:22
Thanks for the info DOM, wasn’t aware of that part of the history!

QUOTE=The Dominican;10805654]The original AJX contract was on the 747 with expat pilots and it was cancelled, all pilots were sent home, eventually when the 767 contract started some selected pilots got interview offers and a handful was hired, we still have one captain from that time.
later on another subsidiary called ANA Wings operating 737's with Japanese and foreign pilots was merged into ANA offering all the Japanese pilots a job at mainline with seat lock provisions and whatnot but all the foreign pilots contracts were cancelled. Some pilots got offers to interview and a handful hired at AJX.

So it is not like the ANA group doesn't have a history of making foreign pilots redundant because they most certainly do.

I believe that this all depends on how ANA will look post Covid19 and how the mainline pilot group will be impacted. If ANA scales back up to the point that Mainline pilots are made redundant, then that would be the end of the AJX experiment in Japan. In the other hand if ANA mainline pilots remain employed on their total number (even if there is downgrades etc.) I think we will be ok at AJX.

Stay tuned.[/QUOTE]

The Dominican
9th Jun 2020, 01:08
Dominicano, are you still in Tokio, or you had a chance to go home?
In Miami now trying to catch a ride with one of my friends that flies corporate, all flights to the DR are suspended until July 1st. I'll see if I get lucky

The Range
9th Jun 2020, 12:53
In Miami now trying to catch a ride with one of my friends that flies corporate, all flights to the DR are suspended until July 1st. I'll see if I get lucky
Good. I hope so. Good luck.

montema
10th Jun 2020, 16:55
Hi everyone, is anyone that was scheduled to start the course in MAY 2020 in this thread?

regards

mark one eyeball
12th Jun 2020, 17:49
Not really interested to know Dominican what you are up to
best to know life is a changing for others

The Dominican
13th Jun 2020, 11:32
Not really interested to know Dominican what you are up to
best to know life is a changing for others

Since I've been contributing to this thread for 13 years and responding to people's PM's on this particular job. I don't give a 5 gallon bucket of camel's urine what you think I should or should not post!

So, just to bring everyone up to date! Yesterday had the most amazing plate of Ropa Vieja with black beans and rice and a few pints while maintaining social distance!

Now Mark sad pants! You can continue your mission of revenge against the bad people that didn't hire you because after all. Who wouldn't hire you? They must be crazy, you being a ray of sunshine and all.

avoka
13th Jun 2020, 13:38
Don’t pay any attention to anybody who is not in the picture.
——
Safe flights

sandson
14th Jun 2020, 05:05
Hi Montema, i was scheduled to July course, now cancelled

5strypes
14th Jun 2020, 08:24
Hi Montema, i was scheduled to July course, now cancelled
Cancelled entirely or potentially rescheduled?

Dogslay
14th Jun 2020, 09:37
Dominican, You have your history wrong!!! The initial contract was through AWAS on the B747 based in Sydney. Working for mainline ANA not AJX. I know, I was there and was made redundant. AJX, AJV never had B747's

The Dominican
14th Jun 2020, 11:34
Dominican, You have your history wrong!!! The initial contract was through AWAS on the B747 based in Sydney. Working for mainline ANA not AJX. I know, I was there and was made redundant. AJX, AJV never had B747's
You are correct, back then AJX had not started yet, I didn't mean to imply that but instead bring up the fact that the ANA group has a history of making foreign pilots redundant.

mstrj
14th Jun 2020, 13:35
Hey Montema, I was also due to start the course in May. Unfortunately, doesn’t look like even the delayed course of July is gonna happen.

sandson
14th Jun 2020, 23:53
Cancelled entirely or potentially rescheduled?

"potentially rescheduled" yes, but honestly i'm not expecting much. DEC 767 NTR. Anyone else in this situation?

E165
15th Jun 2020, 02:21
They just started a new-hire class this month, as well as 787 transition class who are on full pay while about 85% of the pilot group are pretty much unemployed....

j.nips
15th Jun 2020, 03:44
My guess would be that they are pilots of Japanese nationality, right?

E165
15th Jun 2020, 03:51
Ummm...no. All round eye gaijins.

j.nips
15th Jun 2020, 04:11
Wow. Wondering how did they get into the country.

bringbackthe80s
15th Jun 2020, 04:23
They just started a new-hire class this month, as well as 787 transition class who are on full pay while about 85% of the pilot group are pretty much unemployed....

Why would they be unemployed?

BoxFly
15th Jun 2020, 10:52
Why would they be unemployed?
You're right. We are still "employed" whilst enjoying the benefits of zero pay and zero allowances from July.

galdian
15th Jun 2020, 11:59
You're right. We are still "employed" whilst enjoying the benefits of zero pay and zero allowances from July.

So your financial hassles start from July.

Many expats around the world have had such "hassles" for the last few months, maybe consider yourself a tad lucky?

Surprised me how appeared some thought Japan was the "new haven" where none of this CV19 stuff would apply, maybe not helped by the desire of the govt to delay reality in hopes of the 2020 olympics going ahead, I believe that delay will prove costly in longer term; just IMHO.

Have heard at least one carrier in Japan has given notice/not renewed contracts in a limited way to gaijin, would suggest having dragged their feet the airlines are playing catchup in how they will deal with pilot numbers - if they finally decide they have to scale back.

Cheers.

heavydane
15th Jun 2020, 19:56
E165 I think You must be mistaken about a new hire class, seems impossible to get in to Japan. Correct in a 787 transition class having been restarted, but only with 5 out of the original 10 members. those already in country.

Regards

HD

bringbackthe80s
16th Jun 2020, 00:26
It seems to me like they’re doing everything in their power to keep on the contract pilots (unlike many other airlines). Time will tell what happens, but as far as new hires go, the country is closed completely. It’d be a bit hard to start a course now.

E165
16th Jun 2020, 19:35
Correction, you two are correct. It is the new hire class from March that resumed again in June. Apologize for the misinformation.

JFL
25th Jul 2020, 10:33
What is the latest with Air Japan?

jrmyl
25th Jul 2020, 14:52
What is the latest with Air Japan?
Nothing.

No seriously, we are basically shut down. Only operating about 25% of the normal flights and most of those are with Japanese flying them. Most foreigners can't even get into the country so we can't get to work. Looks like it will last a long time. Year, year and a half maybe.