Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-4

Old 3rd Oct 2022, 11:02
  #641 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: London, UK
Posts: 602
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is EDI fully coordinated by ACL these days?
willy wombat is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 16:03
  #642 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 710
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair starting EDI - STN - EDI from october 30th, twice a day .......

Last edited by fjencl; 3rd Oct 2022 at 16:10. Reason: correction
fjencl is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 18:02
  #643 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 394
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willy wombat View Post
Is EDI fully coordinated by ACL these days?
If you mean Level 3 (Slot Coordinated) then no - it's Level 2 (Schedules Facilitated Airport)
UK Level 3 airports (according to IATA website) are the 5 London ones (LHR LGW STN LTN LCY) plus MAN BHX and BRS in summer (Level 2 in winter)
commit aviation is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 21:08
  #644 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aug 2022 - EDI Route statistics

Someone will no doubt be able to calculate roughly what load percentages were.

QR - DOH 17,350 (Best comparison available is Aug 2019 when Qatar operated double daily 3 x per week if I remember rightly? - 19,432)
AC - YYZ - 15,852
DL - JFK - 13,095 (Aug 2019 - 9,163 on a 752 aircraft)
DL - BOS - 9,078
UA - EWR - 10,075 (Aug 2019 - 9755)
UA - ORD - 9576 (Aug 2019 - 8970)
UA - IAD - 13,448 (Aug 2019 - 8611 on a 752 aircraft)
VS - MCO - 3,802

QR- DOH appears to have performed very strongly.
AC and WS - YYZ must be happy with the peak summer performance. Surely sufficient demand exists to have some form of year round service on this route?
DL - JFK returning a very healthy performance and fairly substantial increase in pax numbers compared to 2019. Albeit on a slightly larger capacity 763.
DL - BOS. Very strong considering only 5 x weekly. Going daily in S23 which is a sign of confidence in the route.
All the UA routes appear to have performed very strongly. IAD is the obvious standout. Again using a higher capacity 764. 239 seats compared to a 169 seat 752.
VS - MCO. Currently on sale for S23 but VS is well known for doing random things. Time will tell if this is good enough to retain the route in the long run.
Planeraz is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 21:20
  #645 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All looks pretty positive - hope the success of transatlantic routes keeps up!

Wonder if we'll see EWR upgraded at some point? Isn't it the only year round narrowbody transatlantic flight that United operate?

I'd agree with you on a year round Toronto route. I reckon Air Canada could sustain it during the winter on the 737 Max or when their A321XLRs arrive - even if it's kept at a 3x weekly service. Even Glasgow can sustain a YYZ route! Albeit only once weekly.
ld0595 is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 21:38
  #646 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ld0595 View Post
All looks pretty positive - hope the success of transatlantic routes keeps up!

Wonder if we'll see EWR upgraded at some point? Isn't it the only year round narrowbody transatlantic flight that United operate?

I'd agree with you on a year round Toronto route. I reckon Air Canada could sustain it during the winter on the 737 Max or when their A321XLRs arrive - even if it's kept at a 3x weekly service. Even Glasgow can sustain a YYZ route! Albeit only once weekly.
UA -EWR. I believe you are correct re the only transatlantic year round route served by a 752. With 752s gradually being phased out, they will eventually have to utilise other aircraft types. Its the aircraft availability issue I assume. The obvious upgrade currently would be to a 788. I suspect they will plod on with a 752 for as long as they can before they take delivery of the 321XLRs.
Planeraz is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2022, 23:21
  #647 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok obviously I am going to be positive about EDI but that is a very very strong set of results particularly North America. Dont think it will be long before AA are back.
A350Saltire is offline  
Old 4th Oct 2022, 01:10
  #648 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: London
Age: 41
Posts: 1,167
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You CANNOT say a route is performing very strongly based on absolute volumes, load factor will be leading indicator and yield will be commercially sensitive data. Extrapolating high summer nos meaning YYZ could go year needs to factor in seasonality in Canada where the capacity is better used on Snowbird flights South to the sunspots of Florida and the Carribean. Canada-UK remains massively seasonal, and frankly so is USA-UK, nothing wrong or too alarming about a winter hiatus. MAN-YYZ remains seasonal whereas DUB-YYZ has both Aer Lingus and Air Canada, with AC serving YYZ/YUL/YVR and YYZ flown year round. The perils of the LHR option!
United only have 12 B787-8s and their range isn't needed on an EDI rotation but Air Canada only have 8 and they'll be back next summer!
The new A321s will be along soon enough and it's not as if there's not enough of them around already, you guys will miss the B757/B767 show when it's over.
Skipness One Foxtrot is offline  
Old 4th Oct 2022, 09:41
  #649 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz View Post
Aug 2022 - EDI Route statistics

Someone will no doubt be able to calculate roughly what load percentages were.

QR - DOH 17,350 (Best comparison available is Aug 2019 when Qatar operated double daily 3 x per week if I remember rightly? - 19,432)
AC - YYZ - 15,852
DL - JFK - 13,095 (Aug 2019 - 9,163 on a 752 aircraft)
DL - BOS - 9,078
UA - EWR - 10,075 (Aug 2019 - 9755)
UA - ORD - 9576 (Aug 2019 - 8970)
UA - IAD - 13,448 (Aug 2019 - 8611 on a 752 aircraft)
VS - MCO - 3,802

QR- DOH appears to have performed very strongly.
AC and WS - YYZ must be happy with the peak summer performance. Surely sufficient demand exists to have some form of year round service on this route?
DL - JFK returning a very healthy performance and fairly substantial increase in pax numbers compared to 2019. Albeit on a slightly larger capacity 763.
DL - BOS. Very strong considering only 5 x weekly. Going daily in S23 which is a sign of confidence in the route.
All the UA routes appear to have performed very strongly. IAD is the obvious standout. Again using a higher capacity 764. 239 seats compared to a 169 seat 752.
VS - MCO. Currently on sale for S23 but VS is well known for doing random things. Time will tell if this is good enough to retain the route in the long run.

LFs

Rough calcs for some of the routes. Hopefully not too far off the mark.

EWR - 96%
DOH - 98%
ORD - 92%
IAD - 91%
JFK - 94%
BOS - 96%
MCO - 80%
Planeraz is offline  
Old 6th Oct 2022, 14:54
  #650 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ng-at-calgary/

Could this be the end of EDI-YYZ with WestJet? All long haul destinations will be from Calgary. No mention specifically of 7M8 aircraft just 787’s. Potentially disappointing for the airport but good news for Air Canada. Will WS introduce EDI-Calgary? Would a 7M8 reach EDI?
Planeraz is offline  
Old 6th Oct 2022, 15:45
  #651 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz View Post
https://www.routesonline.com/news/29...ng-at-calgary/

Could this be the end of EDI-YYZ with WestJet? All long haul destinations will be from Calgary. No mention specifically of 7M8 aircraft just 787s. Potentially disappointing for the airport but good news for Air Canada. Will WS introduce EDI-Calgary? Would a 7M8 reach EDI?
Sorry to disappoint, this article related to intercontinental "B787" flying only.

The B737max will still fly intercontinental
tictack67 is online now  
Old 6th Oct 2022, 15:49
  #652 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tictack67 View Post
Sorry to disappoint, this article related to intercontinental "B787" flying only.

The B737max will still fly intercontinental
Not disappointing for me personally, but thanks for the concern! Good to hear this is only for 787 operations. Perhaps the wording of the article lead to some confusion.
Planeraz is offline  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 08:13
  #653 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 144
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Additional EZY based aircraft:

https://mediacentre.easyjet.com/stor...or-summer-2023
tartan 201 is offline  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 08:51
  #654 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,714
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But it's not immediately obvious what the extra frame will be used for.
inOban is online now  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 09:55
  #655 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Falkirk
Posts: 210
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
But it's not immediately obvious what the extra frame will be used for.
Dalaman is getting an extra weekly rotation I hear..also Jersey rout me returning for S23
Suspect other capacity increases built into the current 39 routes.
Would have liked to have seen some North Africa routes added though, curd only through GLA
Sk1schoolsam is offline  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 18:51
  #656 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Edin
Posts: 171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TK

Being reported that PIA have entered a codeshare agreement with TK. This will allow Pakistani pax to transit via IST to EDI. Could be very good news for EDI and TK. Large Pakistani community in Scotland. The Pakistani flights are normally rammed with luggage and cargo. This could lead to more wide body aircraft on the EDI-IST route.
Planeraz is offline  
Old 7th Oct 2022, 19:04
  #657 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,714
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if they're serious about easyjet holidays they'll need to offer more destinations in Spain and Portugal, and higher frequencies to the existing destinations
inOban is online now  
Old 8th Oct 2022, 09:21
  #658 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 2,050
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Planeraz View Post
TK

Being reported that PIA have entered a codeshare agreement with TK. This will allow Pakistani pax to transit via IST to EDI. Could be very good news for EDI and TK. Large Pakistani community in Scotland. The Pakistani flights are normally rammed with luggage and cargo. This could lead to more wide body aircraft on the EDI-IST route.
The large Pakistani population is on the west coast though. Suspect they will continue to fly Emirates
GrahamK is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2022, 09:47
  #659 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Uk
Posts: 189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GrahamK View Post
The large Pakistani population is on the west coast though. Suspect they will continue to fly Emirates
I agree in as much as Emirates is one of the very few connectors left out of Glasgow now.

That said, like most of us, the price will play a huge deciding factor for many groups.
tictack67 is online now  
Old 8th Oct 2022, 10:14
  #660 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,714
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As already reported on the SOU thread, Loganair are increasing flights to Southampton from both EDI and Glasgow to 5/day, 30/week. They're also increasing EXE to twice daily and adding a fourth flight to Bergen next summer. An additional EMB145 will be based at EDI.
inOban is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.