Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southampton-3

Old 9th Jul 2023, 17:33
  #1701 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Age: 66
Posts: 766
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Australian *******

Originally Posted by Asturias56
I gave up on worrying about what people thought about me about 4 days after signing up for PPrune and reading the Australian section........no holds barred on there


Oh yes, a right proper Pommie Bash Bar Brawl on there...(ducks from flying Coopers Beer bottles)


The Southampton and Bournemouth delegations here are far more convivial
rog747 is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2023, 20:14
  #1702 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,240
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some more additions to the runway extension app dated 6 & 7 July.

Not at all what I was expecting at this stage of the project. If I was a civil engineer maybe I could appreciate them.

Come on SOU there are plenty of local drone operators who could produce something far more impressive that would appeal to a much wider audience than the civil engineering community.
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2023, 20:36
  #1703 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All you need to know is that the anticipated completion date is August 17th according to the airport.
LTNman is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 08:30
  #1704 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,178
Received 319 Likes on 185 Posts
"that would appeal to a much wider audience"

you mean two people instead of just you? We don't need a live feed and running news on the extension
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 09:58
  #1705 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,240
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
"that would appeal to a much wider audience"

you mean two people instead of just you? We don't need a live feed and running news on the extension
From the SOU website:

SOU Runway AppTo keep local neighbours up-to-date on the progress of the runway construction project, the airport has developed an app called SOU Runway. The app provides residents with an overview of the project, as well as updates on the works and any changes on site.
Apparently not just me + 1?
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 15:03
  #1706 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
From the SOU website:

SOU Runway AppTo keep local neighbours up-to-date on the progress of the runway construction project, the airport has developed an app called SOU Runway. The app provides residents with an overview of the project, as well as updates on the works and any changes on site.
Apparently not just me + 1?
I'm pleased that you responded in a mature manner regarding an extremely immature and ignorant comment 👍
Sotonsean is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 15:13
  #1707 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,240
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sotonsean
I'm pleased that you responded in a mature manner regarding an extremely immature and ignorant comment 👍
Thanks for your support. As far as I am concerned we now have two trolls lurking on this thread, neither will provoke any further response from me.
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 15:51
  #1708 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Southampton
Posts: 68
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
Thanks for your support. As far as I am concerned we now have two trolls lurking on this thread, neither will provoke any further response from me.
HERE, HERE.

As much as I deslike the term "troll" I couldn't agree more with you regarding your comments. And we're assuming they are grown up if not mature individuals.
Sotonsean is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 17:44
  #1709 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: 50+ north
Posts: 1,240
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TCAS FAN
Some more additions to the runway extension app dated 6 & 7 July.

Not at all what I was expecting at this stage of the project. If I was a civil engineer maybe I could appreciate them.

Come on SOU there are plenty of local drone operators who could produce something far more impressive that would appeal to a much wider audience than the civil engineering community.
They've finally done it! A couple of drone aerial shots just added to the app. Looks great.
TCAS FAN is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 18:19
  #1710 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 612
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great to see the extension in all its glory!
Looks like they are well advanced.
Fingers crossed for some announcement on airlines that will take advantage of the extended length( prehaps this autumn?)

​​​
RW20 is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 19:05
  #1711 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,178
Received 319 Likes on 185 Posts
I guess anyone who suggests we aren't interested in the minutiae of airport construction is "immature". It really is taking enthusiasm for one's local airport a bit far IMHO. Southampton's a nice , small quite convenient airport but it does get a lot of coverage on here.......... which is getting spotter -like.

For the record I think it's better than Gatwick and a lot better than Heathrow. Much the same as Bristol (but the railway station is a great advantage) or Birmingham. Hurn I really have limited experience of.
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 21:40
  #1712 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Southampton
Posts: 612
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
I guess anyone who suggests we aren't interested in the minutiae of airport construction is "immature". It really is taking enthusiasm for one's local airport a bit far IMHO. Southampton's a nice , small quite convenient airport but it does get a lot of coverage on here.......... which is getting spotter -like.

For the record I think it's better than Gatwick and a lot better than Heathrow. Much the same as Bristol (but the railway station is a great advantage) or Birmingham. Hurn I really have limited experience of.
​​​​​​In what way is SOU better then international giants like LHR,LGW or even BRS?
Its a great ,but small regional airport with good transport links that will be given a boost with the runway extension.

Last edited by RW20; 11th Jul 2023 at 22:45.
RW20 is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 22:02
  #1713 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RW20
Great to see the extension in all its glory!
Looks like they are well advanced.
Fingers crossed for some announcement on airlines that will take advantage of the extended length( prehaps this autumn?)

​​​
Yes I do find it strange that no one has committed to the extension yet, apart from a couple of EZY domestics, and would have expected maybe an airline to announce for Autumn/Winter

Last edited by SouthernAlliance; 12th Jul 2023 at 00:58.
SouthernAlliance is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 22:08
  #1714 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 8,355
Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
Who do you have in mind?

Which airlines would be targets for SOU?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 22:25
  #1715 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Who do you have in mind?

Which airlines would be targets for SOU?
Wizz? think I read there is a large polish community in the Southampton/southern Hampshire area. Just a thought and maybe wrong
SouthernAlliance is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2023, 07:07
  #1716 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 9,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polish have been overtaken by Romanians with many Polish returning home.

In what way is SOU better then international giants like LHR,LGW or even BRS?
Its a great ,but small regional airport with good transport links that will be given a boost with the runway extension.

A small regional airport is always going to be a better experience than a big airport. Less stress for a start, passengers unlikely to get lost, less walking, less queuing etc. This was why Southend always won the best airport awards in passenger polls.

I visited Southampton many years ago and thought it was great, as it struck the right balance in those days. I assume nothing has changed but no doubt Southampton management would like to sweat the asset to its maximum to the detriment of the passenger experience.

Last edited by LTNman; 12th Jul 2023 at 14:16.
LTNman is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2023, 08:56
  #1717 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 8,178
Received 319 Likes on 185 Posts
Spot on LTNman - small airports are aimed at getting passengers through quickly whereas big ones are about revenue extraction, shopping, food courts, drop off charges, charges, more charges, extra charges (may be voluntary) and delay , delay , delay
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2023, 13:02
  #1718 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2022
Location: La Manche
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
I guess anyone who suggests we aren't interested in the minutiae of airport construction is "immature". It really is taking enthusiasm for one's local airport a bit far IMHO. Southampton's a nice , small quite convenient airport but it does get a lot of coverage on here.......... which is getting spotter -like.

For the record I think it's better than Gatwick and a lot better than Heathrow. Much the same as Bristol (but the railway station is a great advantage) or Birmingham. Hurn I really have limited experience of.
A bit derisory singling out Bournemouth as 'Hurn'.

rustythumb is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2023, 18:28
  #1719 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lower Upham
Posts: 72
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustythumb
A bit derisory singling out Bournemouth as 'Hurn'.
I personally think the name of Hurn lends a certain amount of gravitas to the airport, really important airports are quite happy to be referred to by the names of the villages in which they are situated - Gatwick in Sussex and Heath Row (Heathrow) in what was Middlesex. Associating the airport with a provincial seaside town makes it sound a lot less important!
SotonFlightpath is offline  
Old 12th Jul 2023, 18:34
  #1720 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Lower Upham
Posts: 72
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthernAlliance
Wizz? think I read there is a large polish community in the Southampton/southern Hampshire area. Just a thought and maybe wrong
The city of Southampton has been a stronghold of Polish residency since the late 1940s. I was at secondary school in the 1970s and we had several teachers who were the sons and daughters of the first wave of Polish immigrants into the Southampton area. So yes, with such unusually long-standing relationships between Poland and Southampton, once or twice weekly flights to Poland could be worth considering.
SotonFlightpath is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.