Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Newcastle-9

Old 20th Jul 2018, 23:03
  #741 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 401
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fl dutchman
Well it seems that the "stable" Winter reduced to 5 flights per day from 6 per day schedule has also become erratic as per this summers schedule.
From what I have seen most days its down further to 4 or even 3. Not all days operate the same timings.

If its true I can only assume demand has dramatically reduced. Or if it has not it will now.

What is happening to the busiest route out of NCL.
I have flown this route 4 times in the past week, all flights rammed. Judging by the prices I paid, BA are doing very well out of NCL at the moment.

BA has issues with having to use the newly acquired slots at LGW (and lets be honest they can make more money out of LGW in the summer holidays) and as a result is clearly having to move the fleet around - ABZ and CDG had similar cuts. The 15:30 flight appears to have suffered as a result (which is not much hardship as the 16:30 is still running), the two morning, the late afternoon and evening flights are still in the schedule.

Number of fights a week (NCL-LHR)
(summer 18 timetable from next week): 32, 32, 35, 35, 33, 34, 37 (this is first week of Sep), 36, 38, 37, 39, 39, 39, 39
(winter 18/19 timetable): 34, 33, 34, 34, 32, 28, 32, 26 (xmas week), 28 (new years week), 27, 25, 28, 27, 27, 29, 34, 29, 34, 34, 33, 34
(summer 19 timetable): 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39 (end June)

Observations:
  • NCL has obviously lost some flights over the summer holiday period and gets them back in September.
  • As previously announced, BA cut some flights from the winter timetable (41 to 34 flights a week).
  • January and early February see fewer flights but this is normal, reflecting reduced demand.
  • The summer timetable clearly has not yet been finalised as it is showing a constant 39 flights a week.
Let's see how things develop.
tigertanaka is online now  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 08:51
  #742 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Dubai and Sunderland
Posts: 818
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA - LHR Observations - I normally use DXB-LHR-NCL-LHR-DXB around 2-3 times a year, timings suite a quick visit(If EK had a second daily service it would be great!) back to UK and normally cheaper than EK from DXB. All of my planned trips are with EK direct booked from NCL. This year I have looked twice at BA to do this but each time the prices have over doubled to well over £1000 return from DXB. Plus the connections are not always brilliant with the NCL schedule changing a lot. So each time I have given up and not travelled!

I see from the winter AF are putting the morning DXB-CDG back on so this may give me some options!

Interestingly with FlyDubai or Wizz linking DXB/DWC further into Europe you can connect with another low cost to NCL for some really cheap fares if you've got the time to do it!!
10 DME ARC is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 15:49
  #743 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I have flown this route 4 times in the past week, all flights rammed. Judging by the prices I paid, BA are doing very well out of NCL at the moment.

BA has issues with having to use the newly acquired slots at LGW (and lets be honest they can make more money out of LGW in the summer holidays) and as a result is clearly having to move the fleet around - ABZ and CDG had similar cuts. The 15:30 flight appears to have suffered as a result (which is not much hardship as the 16:30 is still running), the two morning, the late afternoon and evening flights are still in the schedule.

Number of fights a week (NCL-LHR)
(summer 18 timetable from next week): 32, 32, 35, 35, 33, 34, 37 (this is first week of Sep), 36, 38, 37, 39, 39, 39, 39
(winter 18/19 timetable): 34, 33, 34, 34, 32, 28, 32, 26 (xmas week), 28 (new years week), 27, 25, 28, 27, 27, 29, 34, 29, 34, 34, 33, 34
(summer 19 timetable): 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39 (end June)

Observations:
  • NCL has obviously lost some flights over the summer holiday period and gets them back in September.
  • As previously announced, BA cut some flights from the winter timetable (41 to 34 flights a week).
  • January and early February see fewer flights but this is normal, reflecting reduced demand.
  • The summer timetable clearly has not yet been finalised as it is showing a constant 39 flights a week.
Let's see how things develop.
Unfortunatley the 9 am and noon (ish) flights are affected as is the late evening.
Just looked at January LHR-NCL and there are NO flights at all in the morning only 3 in the late afternoon/evening. (on some days)
Looks like there still trimimg things down.
WHAT A DREADFUL SCHEDULE
Wonder if the airport have had some dialog with BA re there busiest route.
fl dutchman is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 16:09
  #744 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the first time in ages I heard of someone the other day flying BA, LHR-EDI and, as so often was the case, the luggage went missing.
I don't know if it is BA or LHR that is to blame but I would not go NCL-LHR with BA if there was an onward connection. I might if I loads of time to retrieve it at LHR or, best of all, take the train.

AMS seem to have totally sorted their problems out.
ash666 is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 17:12
  #745 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I have flown NCL_LHR_NCL with onward connections for years, hundreds of flights maybe even thousands. I have never lost my baggage at all.

Perhaps I am lucky!
fl dutchman is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 17:23
  #746 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 39
Posts: 700
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ash666
For the first time in ages I heard of someone the other day flying BA, LHR-EDI and, as so often was the case, the luggage went missing.
I don't know if it is BA or LHR that is to blame but I would not go NCL-LHR with BA if there was an onward connection. I might if I loads of time to retrieve it at LHR or, best of all, take the train.

AMS seem to have totally sorted their problems out.
I've used them at least once a year for twenty years and they've never lost my bag once. The connection is easy and a dream since T5 came online. I'd take BA versus the train, the faffing about crossing London. Works a dream connecting BA/BA or BA/AA and in reverse AA/BA and BA/AA even with the terminal change when flying American. I always check a bag in too when connecting to long haul.


Last edited by fa2fi; 21st Jul 2018 at 17:25. Reason: Punctuation
fa2fi is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 17:24
  #747 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tyne and Wear
Age: 34
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I have flown this route 4 times in the past week, all flights rammed. Judging by the prices I paid, BA are doing very well out of NCL at the moment.

BA has issues with having to use the newly acquired slots at LGW (and lets be honest they can make more money out of LGW in the summer holidays) and as a result is clearly having to move the fleet around - ABZ and CDG had similar cuts. The 15:30 flight appears to have suffered as a result (which is not much hardship as the 16:30 is still running), the two morning, the late afternoon and evening flights are still in the schedule.

Number of fights a week (NCL-LHR)
(summer 18 timetable from next week): 32, 32, 35, 35, 33, 34, 37 (this is first week of Sep), 36, 38, 37, 39, 39, 39, 39
(winter 18/19 timetable): 34, 33, 34, 34, 32, 28, 32, 26 (xmas week), 28 (new years week), 27, 25, 28, 27, 27, 29, 34, 29, 34, 34, 33, 34
(summer 19 timetable): 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39, 39 (end June)

Observations:
  • NCL has obviously lost some flights over the summer holiday period and gets them back in September.
  • As previously announced, BA cut some flights from the winter timetable (41 to 34 flights a week).
  • January and early February see fewer flights but this is normal, reflecting reduced demand.
  • The summer timetable clearly has not yet been finalised as it is showing a constant 39 flights a week.
Let's see how things develop.
That really is a poor schedule to operate from Newcastle, itís basically just 4 flights a day, and on some days the final flight down is at 16:50, it doesnít even allow a full working day in the city for people who may come up from London. They may as well start advertising for people to use the train instead. As all I can see this schedule doing is making more people book in the train or with Air France/KLM, though Iíve not seen their recent schedule for the winter, are we still a rotation down with KLM too? Why did they reduce a rotation this year down to 4 from the previous 5? We never really suffered during the down turn and recession but it does seem to be getting much worse.

I now canít see us keeping the 6 daily flights next summer, I am sure it will reduce further, unless all flying comes to a halt because of breakfast and they have to just send them to Newcastle to keep the Heathrow slots lol.
Ph1l1pncl is offline  
Old 21st Jul 2018, 18:10
  #748 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 401
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph1l1pncl


That really is a poor schedule to operate from Newcastle, itís basically just 4 flights a day, and on some days the final flight down is at 16:50, it doesnít even allow a full working day in the city for people who may come up from London. They may as well start advertising for people to use the train instead. As all I can see this schedule doing is making more people book in the train or with Air France/KLM, though Iíve not seen their recent schedule for the winter, are we still a rotation down with KLM too? Why did they reduce a rotation this year down to 4 from the previous 5? We never really suffered during the down turn and recession but it does seem to be getting much worse.

I now canít see us keeping the 6 daily flights next summer, I am sure it will reduce further, unless all flying comes to a halt because of breakfast and they have to just send them to Newcastle to keep the Heathrow slots lol.
What dates is the last flight at 16:50? Even on the weeks with only 27 flights I can see a 19:30 (ish) flight.

I believe that KLMs schedules are down due to runway work at AMS. MME has also lost one rotation a day until the first week of September although NCL looks to be on 4 flights a day for the foreseeable future.
tigertanaka is online now  
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 09:32
  #749 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: up north
Posts: 308
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fa2fi


I've used them at least once a year for twenty years and they've never lost my bag once. The connection is easy and a dream since T5 came online. I'd take BA versus the train, the faffing about crossing London. Works a dream connecting BA/BA or BA/AA and in reverse AA/BA and BA/AA even with the terminal change when flying American. I always check a bag in too when connecting to long haul.

I've done NCL - Narita twice with BA. Lost luggage both times (and both ways!).

Checking in at Narita, agent says knowingly "oh dear, you are going via London" - says it all!
Hipennine is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 15:04
  #750 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hipennine
I've done NCL - Narita twice with BA. Lost luggage both times (and both ways!).

Checking in at Narita, agent says knowingly "oh dear, you are going via London" - says it all!
I remember when there was a big story about it a few years ago and BA said they had tried everything but it was impossible to get the bags back to the owners.
A reporter saw many bags had perfectly good luggage labels on them.
ash666 is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 21:50
  #751 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North East
Posts: 54
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And you believe everything reporters say. WOW
skyhawk1 is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 22:44
  #752 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
What dates is the last flight at 16:50? Even on the weeks with only 27 flights I can see a 19:30 (ish) flight.

I believe that KLMs schedules are down due to runway work at AMS. MME has also lost one rotation a day until the first week of September although NCL looks to be on 4 flights a day for the foreseeable future.
Last flight to LHR 16.50 TOMORROW ( I think) Sorry 16.30
fl dutchman is offline  
Old 22nd Jul 2018, 23:02
  #753 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skyhawk1
And you believe everything reporters say. WOW
Some people really do like to bury their heads in the sand, don't they?
ash666 is offline  
Old 23rd Jul 2018, 06:34
  #754 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 758
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to sue the airport for misplacing my luggage.
But I lost my case...
ash666 is offline  
Old 30th Jul 2018, 18:40
  #755 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: on the border line
Posts: 583
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of visits to the airport for the air show traffic.Friday was amazing with a fantastic busy mix of air traffic..well done all!

Saturday especially with the viewing arrangements on the old south side was great..only a fiver...made me think..what ever happened to the proposed viewing terrace at the old tower? This must be money for old rope for the airport as if that viewing area was opened on the south side on a daily basis..must be worth a cool million over a year!
keep the councils happy...

doesnt sem seem to be much newcsceduled services so would fill a big financial gap!
highwideandugly is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 02:35
  #756 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tyne and Wear
Age: 34
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
What dates is the last flight at 16:50? Even on the weeks with only 27 flights I can see a 19:30 (ish) flight.

I believe that KLMs schedules are down due to runway work at AMS. MME has also lost one rotation a day until the first week of September although NCL looks to be on 4 flights a day for the foreseeable future.
Many dates in January and February have the last flights at 16:50 and many with large gaps in the services during the day.

A friend who who works for BA posted on their internal work forum about the reduction in NCL flights and it’s apparently tactical commercial reductions for the flights in the winter along with having to give slots to flybe as part of the remedy from the bmi acquisition and and increase in long haul flying of an extra 13 rotations ( New Durban route, extra JNB rotations, continuation of Seychelles etc.

They haven’t finalised anything for summer 19 yet but they will be reviewing all at risk stations later in the summer before having to submit their slot requests etc. . That doesn’t bode particularly well for Newcastle, especially as they already have announced 4 weekly Pittsburgh which will have to be funded.

Unfortunately i I don’t see anything particularly improving, Newcastle is on the cusp of what is viable flying wise, the airport won’t be able to get another carrier to fly the route, Gatwick didn’t work with Easyjet or Flybe and I can’t see Cityflyer operating to London City either. Could we end up seeing a reduction in the airports passenger numbers? Liverpool have recently announced WiderÝe and some Wizzair routes, everything has gone slightly stale again here.

I hope capital improvement wise this winter the airport undertakes work on the pier, it does not leave a good impression and is very dated, and the large adverts on the wall are very tacky.
Ph1l1pncl is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 21:08
  #757 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ph1l1pncl


Many dates in January and February have the last flights at 16:50 and many with large gaps in the services during the day.

A friend who who works for BA posted on their internal work forum about the reduction in NCL flights and itís apparently tactical commercial reductions for the flights in the winter along with having to give slots to flybe as part of the remedy from the bmi acquisition and and increase in long haul flying of an extra 13 rotations ( New Durban route, extra JNB rotations, continuation of Seychelles etc.

They havenít finalised anything for summer 19 yet but they will be reviewing all at risk stations later in the summer before having to submit their slot requests etc. . That doesnít bode particularly well for Newcastle, especially as they already have announced 4 weekly Pittsburgh which will have to be funded.

Unfortunately i I donít see anything particularly improving, Newcastle is on the cusp of what is viable flying wise, the airport wonít be able to get another carrier to fly the route, Gatwick didnít work with Easyjet or Flybe and I canít see Cityflyer operating to London City either. Could we end up seeing a reduction in the airports passenger numbers? Liverpool have recently announced WiderÝe and some Wizzair routes, everything has gone slightly stale again here.

I hope capital improvement wise this winter the airport undertakes work on the pier, it does not leave a good impression and is very dated, and the large adverts on the wall are very tacky.
i completely agree with the additional routes - NCL doesnít seem to have had much recently regarding many new routers and/or new carriers.

in regards to BA, I donít think thereís any risk of them dropping the route. Itís quite a piopular route for business travellers and a lot of people do still connect in LHR which is important for BA too as they do aim for quite good load factors. BAís main call centre is also in Newcastle and itís an important connection for the business (Iím not suggesting this is the sole reason for keeping a route, but thereís other routes that would go first). I think itís likely we could be looking at less rotations but as someone else has pointed out this seems to be the route BA are going down throughout other UK regional bases.
JonnyH is offline  
Old 9th Aug 2018, 20:46
  #758 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Posts: 1,907
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New route announcements right, left and centre but nothing for NCL at all....or, hopefully, so far.....any rumours?
Jamesair is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2018, 17:28
  #759 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Posts: 1,907
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jet 2 has added Nice to its "shopping" trip collection with departures on 11th March and 15th March 2019
Jamesair is offline  
Old 10th Aug 2018, 18:28
  #760 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Solihull
Age: 59
Posts: 3,290
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice

Originally Posted by Jamesair
Jet 2 has added Nice to its "shopping" trip collection with departures on 11th March and 15th March 2019
Those dates are similar to the annual and major MIPIM exhibition in Nice and I know Jet2 have laid a flight from BHX for local business heads to use but never bookable of the Jet2 site from BHX.

Pete
OltonPete is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.