Terms and Endearment The forum the bean counters hoped would never happen. Your news on pay, rostering, allowances, extras and negotiations where you work - scheduled, charter or contract.

Easyjet Madness

Old 22nd Jun 2023, 11:34
  #61 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Schloss Neuschwanstein
Posts: 4,203
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
I happened to come across this thread whilst surfing around! I am a reasonably senior easyJet training captain and have worked here for nearly 20 years. I have nothing whatsoever to do with recruitment but, hopefully, I have some idea of what goes on here. Let me try and provide a slightly more balanced perspective, that I hope is from a position of actual knowledge, rather than rumour. EasyJet is not a perfect airline, but next to a national carrier, is about as good as you get in the airline industry. It is genuinely a great place to work and there are very few people who do not enjoy working here. Yes, you have to pay for a type rating, but the pay is fairly reasonable in comparison with other companies and the promotion prospects are excellent.

It is undoubtedly true that we have actively tried to recruit female pilots, but thatís because we had so few of them. Also, we have an increasing number of non-white pilots, but that is a good thing in my view and reflects the demographics of the society in which we live. That said, the overwhelming majority of people I end up training are young white males. To therefore suggest that you have an infinitely greater chance of being selected if you call yourself Linda, instead of Fred, is simply rubbish.

We are currently losing a lot of pilots to the likes of Virgin, British Airways and Emirates. It is clearly the case that we cannot offer long haul or different aircraft types. There are also a few pilots leaving to Jet2, but thatís mainly for geographical reasons that are hard to argue with. Is easyJet, perfect? Absolutely not. However, there are very few companies that are as good to work for as easyJet, for all its faults. We have a very good training system and an excellent safety culture. Also, we are very heavily unionised, which brings with it a huge number of protections. My personal observation would be that a number of people who have left us over the years, if they had their time again, would not have done so. If you go to any airline looking to be miserable, then you will fulfil your ambition very quickly. If you come with a positive attitude, you will find this is about the best places in the industry to be.
Count of Monte Bisto is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 16:09
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Anywhere and nowhere
Posts: 129
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
It is undoubtedly true that we have actively tried to recruit female pilots, but thatís because we had so few of them. Also, we have an increasing number of non-white pilots, but that is a good thing in my view and reflects the demographics of the society in which we live. That said, the overwhelming majority of people I end up training are young white males. To therefore suggest that you have an infinitely greater chance of being selected if you call yourself Linda, instead of Fred, is simply rubbish.
The only way to find out is to take the number of male applicants vs the number of males actually hired, and compare it to the number of female applicants vs the number of females hired.
Just saying I train more males than females is totally irrelevant.
Newcomer2 is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 16:55
  #63 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Schloss Neuschwanstein
Posts: 4,203
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
I have just been sat in a Crawley simulator hall with countless new easyJet pilots. The vast majority were young men with the odd young lady - I would suggest that is what matters. But maybe I am just a sad fantasist making it all up.
Count of Monte Bisto is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 17:04
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
I happened to come across this thread whilst surfing around! I am a reasonably senior easyJet training captain and have worked here for nearly 20 years. I have nothing whatsoever to do with recruitment but, hopefully, I have some idea of what goes on here. Let me try and provide a slightly more balanced perspective, that I hope is from a position of actual knowledge, rather than rumour. EasyJet is not a perfect airline, but next to a national carrier, is about as good as you get in the airline industry. It is genuinely a great place to work and there are very few people who do not enjoy working here. Yes, you have to pay for a type rating, but the pay is fairly reasonable in comparison with other companies and the promotion prospects are excellent.

It is undoubtedly true that we have actively tried to recruit female pilots, but thatís because we had so few of them. Also, we have an increasing number of non-white pilots, but that is a good thing in my view and reflects the demographics of the society in which we live. That said, the overwhelming majority of people I end up training are young white males. To therefore suggest that you have an infinitely greater chance of being selected if you call yourself Linda, instead of Fred, is simply rubbish.

We are currently losing a lot of pilots to the likes of Virgin, British Airways and Emirates. It is clearly the case that we cannot offer long haul or different aircraft types. There are also a few pilots leaving to Jet2, but thatís mainly for geographical reasons that are hard to argue with. Is easyJet, perfect? Absolutely not. However, there are very few companies that are as good to work for as easyJet, for all its faults. We have a very good training system and an excellent safety culture. Also, we are very heavily unionised, which brings with it a huge number of protections. My personal observation would be that a number of people who have left us over the years, if they had their time again, would not have done so. If you go to any airline looking to be miserable, then you will fulfil your ambition very quickly. If you come with a positive attitude, you will find this is about the best places in the industry to be.

where did you fly before Easy ?
RARA9 is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 17:34
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Anywhere and nowhere
Posts: 129
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
I have just been sat in a Crawley simulator hall with countless new easyJet pilots. The vast majority were young men with the odd young lady - I would suggest that is what matters. But maybe I am just a sad fantasist making it all up.
I'm not saying you're making it all up, I'm just saying you're not using the correct method.
Newcomer2 is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 17:51
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: FLSomething
Posts: 395
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
I happened to come across this thread whilst surfing around! I am a reasonably senior easyJet training captain and have worked here for nearly 20 years. I have nothing whatsoever to do with recruitment but, hopefully, I have some idea of what goes on here. Let me try and provide a slightly more balanced perspective, that I hope is from a position of actual knowledge, rather than rumour. EasyJet is not a perfect airline, but next to a national carrier, is about as good as you get in the airline industry. It is genuinely a great place to work and there are very few people who do not enjoy working here. Yes, you have to pay for a type rating, but the pay is fairly reasonable in comparison with other companies and the promotion prospects are excellent.

It is undoubtedly true that we have actively tried to recruit female pilots, but thatís because we had so few of them. Also, we have an increasing number of non-white pilots, but that is a good thing in my view and reflects the demographics of the society in which we live. That said, the overwhelming majority of people I end up training are young white males. To therefore suggest that you have an infinitely greater chance of being selected if you call yourself Linda, instead of Fred, is simply rubbish.

We are currently losing a lot of pilots to the likes of Virgin, British Airways and Emirates. It is clearly the case that we cannot offer long haul or different aircraft types. There are also a few pilots leaving to Jet2, but thatís mainly for geographical reasons that are hard to argue with. Is easyJet, perfect? Absolutely not. However, there are very few companies that are as good to work for as easyJet, for all its faults. We have a very good training system and an excellent safety culture. Also, we are very heavily unionised, which brings with it a huge number of protections. My personal observation would be that a number of people who have left us over the years, if they had their time again, would not have done so. If you go to any airline looking to be miserable, then you will fulfil your ambition very quickly. If you come with a positive attitude, you will find this is about the best places in the industry to be.
Really good summary and very helpful for people applying.

Do you find itís often a natural break point at 4/5 years? People either get command or head off to fly a wide body?

Donít take too much notice of people complaining (again) about the gender ratio. You could hire 15,000 male pilots, one female pilot, and theyíd still demand to see her CV as she could only have got the job through an agenda hellbent on driving men out of the profession.
VariablePitchP is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 20:12
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: where I lay my hat
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a greater percentage of total female applicants are hired than male, then that indicates a discrimination in favour of females.
midnight cruiser is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 20:14
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Anywhere and nowhere
Posts: 129
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by midnight cruiser
If a greater percentage of female applicants are successful than male, then that indicates a discrimination in favour of females.
My point exactly.
Newcomer2 is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2023, 20:16
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: London
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
I happened to come across this thread whilst surfing around! I am a reasonably senior easyJet training captain and have worked here for nearly 20 years. I have nothing whatsoever to do with recruitment but, hopefully, I have some idea of what goes on here. Let me try and provide a slightly more balanced perspective, that I hope is from a position of actual knowledge, rather than rumour. EasyJet is not a perfect airline, but next to a national carrier, is about as good as you get in the airline industry. It is genuinely a great place to work and there are very few people who do not enjoy working here. Yes, you have to pay for a type rating, but the pay is fairly reasonable in comparison with other companies and the promotion prospects are excellent.

It is undoubtedly true that we have actively tried to recruit female pilots, but thatís because we had so few of them. Also, we have an increasing number of non-white pilots, but that is a good thing in my view and reflects the demographics of the society in which we live. That said, the overwhelming majority of people I end up training are young white males. To therefore suggest that you have an infinitely greater chance of being selected if you call yourself Linda, instead of Fred, is simply rubbish.

We are currently losing a lot of pilots to the likes of Virgin, British Airways and Emirates. It is clearly the case that we cannot offer long haul or different aircraft types. There are also a few pilots leaving to Jet2, but thatís mainly for geographical reasons that are hard to argue with. Is easyJet, perfect? Absolutely not. However, there are very few companies that are as good to work for as easyJet, for all its faults. We have a very good training system and an excellent safety culture. Also, we are very heavily unionised, which brings with it a huge number of protections. My personal observation would be that a number of people who have left us over the years, if they had their time again, would not have done so. If you go to any airline looking to be miserable, then you will fulfil your ambition very quickly. If you come with a positive attitude, you will find this is about the best places in the industry to be.
Any idea if EZY plan to recruit UK DEC in the near future? I'm pretty sure you'll notice a reverse of the tide you mention above from one particular airline.
BAreject is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 00:00
  #70 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Schloss Neuschwanstein
Posts: 4,203
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
We did some sim assessments for DECs a couple of months back, but I think they were for our European bases and not the UK. There are a huge number of suitable command candidates right now, but a lot of opportunities too. I believe we will have around 250 command upgrades next year.

Regarding people staying for 4-5 years, I think it is a mixed picture. Obviously there is the lure of long haul for young folks who have done a few years at easyJet, but there are also a significant number of people who like short haul and are happy to stay. An easyJet captain’s basic salary is £117,000, which is very achievable for a cadet 5 years after joining. In addition, after 10 years in the Company you get 15% bonus every year (5% after 2 years, 10% after 5 years). You also get around £16,000 in allowances and 7% into the pension. It would take a good few years at BA to reach those numbers, but eventually BA pay overtakes that of easyJet. When I joined 20 years ago easyJet was seen as a passing place on the way to better things. That is no longer the case and there are a lot of people seeing this as a career airline. Horses for courses etc. I hope that helps.

Regarding the whole women thing, all I can tell you is that there are jobs here for everyone -just do not get hung up on this inevitably controversial subject. It’s been a source of endless debate both inside and outside the company - I no longer longer give it a moment’s thought. It really is not worth the hassle. There are so many arguments and counterarguments, and it never really lands anywhere that people are happy with, whatever side of the debate you sit on.
Count of Monte Bisto is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 00:11
  #71 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Schloss Neuschwanstein
Posts: 4,203
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
RARA9. This is my 5th airline and I was in the RAF before that. I was in GB Airways before easyJet and a couple of turboprop companies plus a long-gone airline called Debonair (BAe 146 low cost operator that went bust). Hope that helps.
Count of Monte Bisto is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 04:59
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dubai
Age: 55
Posts: 313
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
Regarding the whole women thing, all I can tell you is that there are jobs here for everyone -just do not get hung up on this inevitably controversial subject. Itís been a source of endless debate both inside and outside the company - I no longer longer give it a momentís thought. It really is not worth the hassle. There are so many arguments and counterarguments, and it never really lands anywhere that people are happy with, whatever side of the debate you sit on.

Well said.

Just to stir the pot - are the non binary genders adequately represented at EJ?
Kennytheking is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 09:39
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
We did some sim assessments for DECs a couple of months back, but I think they were for our European bases and not the UK. There are a huge number of suitable command candidates right now, but a lot of opportunities too. I believe we will have around 250 command upgrades next year.

An easyJet captainís basic salary is £117,000, which is very achievable for a cadet 5 years after joining. In addition, after 10 years in the Company you get 15% bonus every year (5% after 2 years, 10% after 5 years). You also get around £16,000 in allowances and 7% into the pension. It would take a good few years at BA to reach those numbers, but eventually BA pay overtakes that of easyJet.

It always makes me laugh when people say you will earn more at EZY/RYR quicker.

So whatís EZY FO salary from when you start all in?

Ok BA usually take experience people so doing 1-3 years at Easy then moving to BA you losing that time.

BA you can find figures on PPJN.
Then add £20k to it for extras.
My predicted financial year end is £85kish for current year 1 at BA. Plus company is paying 15% into pension, I havenít done any overtime on that figure either. A mate of mine last year at BA SH managed close to £100k but he smashed out the overtime.
Going LHS SH after a year to 18 months is possible at present. 5 years pay scale LHS SH £120kish plus the pension which donít forget is tax free.

EZY/RYR always state the Captain blah blah but forget the time as FO when BA pulling in £20k+ more each year easily.

AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 16:14
  #74 (permalink)  
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Schloss Neuschwanstein
Posts: 4,203
Likes: 0
Received 44 Likes on 15 Posts
Donít laugh too much mate. Rather feel embarrassed at such a crass post. I am sure we all thrilled to find out youíre going to earn all that money in your first year at British Airways? The only problem is youíre answering the question that nobody is asking. There is a thread about British Airways direct entry pilots next door - you may want to go there where there are undoubtedly numerous people who will be unbelievably impressed by your achievements. I personally am not.

Returning to the question in hand, the discussion around paying for type rating costs is undoubtedly frustrating. However, holding to a principle of not paying for a type rating is an invitation to unemployment. You have to balance the cost of the type rating against being unemployed for even six months.

If you are not a high achiever like Mr Aiminghigh above at BA, where you get your type rating paid for, not to mention £85k per annum, posh hotels and special favours in heaven when you die then you may be better to bite the bullet and just cough up. It soon pays for itself.

Regarding easyJet and trans applicants, I have no doubt we would jump at the opportunity to be diverse etc, but I have not personally met anyone yet who would fit the bill.

Count of Monte Bisto is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 16:34
  #75 (permalink)  
ser
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Count of Monte Bisto
Donít laugh too much mate. Rather feel embarrassed at such a crass post. I am sure we all thrilled to find out youíre going to earn all that money in your first year at British Airways? The only problem is youíre answering the question that nobody is asking. There is a thread about British Airways direct entry pilots next door - you may want to go there where there are undoubtedly numerous people who will be unbelievably impressed by your achievements. I personally am not.

Returning to the question in hand, the discussion around paying for type rating costs is undoubtedly frustrating. However, holding to a principle of not paying for a type rating is an invitation to unemployment. You have to balance the cost of the type rating against being unemployed for even six months.

If you are not a high achiever like Mr Aiminghigh above at BA, where you get your type rating paid for, not to mention £85k per annum, posh hotels and special favours in heaven when you die then you may be better to bite the bullet and just cough up. It soon pays for itself.

Regarding easyJet and trans applicants, I have no doubt we would jump at the opportunity to be diverse etc, but I have not personally met anyone yet who would fit the bill.
Not including that, if you don't want to live/commute to London, the majority of your options require you to pay for your TR. Morals don't pay the bills.
ser is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 17:04
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Between 0 and 41000 ft
Age: 35
Posts: 169
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
It always makes me laugh when people say you will earn more at EZY/RYR quicker.

So whatís EZY FO salary from when you start all in?

Ok BA usually take experience people so doing 1-3 years at Easy then moving to BA you losing that time.

BA you can find figures on PPJN.
Then add £20k to it for extras.
My predicted financial year end is £85kish for current year 1 at BA. Plus company is paying 15% into pension, I havenít done any overtime on that figure either. A mate of mine last year at BA SH managed close to £100k but he smashed out the overtime.
Going LHS SH after a year to 18 months is possible at present. 5 years pay scale LHS SH £120kish plus the pension which donít forget is tax free.

EZY/RYR always state the Captain blah blah but forget the time as FO when BA pulling in £20k+ more each year easily.
14 ATPL subjects yet can't make simple maths.
plikee is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 19:15
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL370
Age: 37
Posts: 239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
It always makes me laugh when people say you will earn more at EZY/RYR quicker.

So what’s EZY FO salary from when you start all in?

Ok BA usually take experience people so doing 1-3 years at Easy then moving to BA you losing that time.

BA you can find figures on PPJN.
Then add £20k to it for extras.
My predicted financial year end is £85kish for current year 1 at BA. Plus company is paying 15% into pension, I haven’t done any overtime on that figure either. A mate of mine last year at BA SH managed close to £100k but he smashed out the overtime.
Going LHS SH after a year to 18 months is possible at present. 5 years pay scale LHS SH £120kish plus the pension which don’t forget is tax free.

EZY/RYR always state the Captain blah blah but forget the time as FO when BA pulling in £20k+ more each year easily.
BA C32L here. Would love to see where you're getting your pay scales from? As a skipper on PP8 my basic is just under £105,000 and my allowances are closer to £12,000-15,000 a year. I have plenty of friends at easyJet and it's a great gig, just like BA, it is what you make it. No need for willy waving on a public forum.
EMB-145LR is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 20:41
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 206
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EMB-145LR
BA C32L here. Would love to see where you're getting your pay scales from? As a skipper on PP8 my basic is just under £105,000 and my allowances are closer to £12,000-15,000 a year. I have plenty of friends at easyJet and it's a great gig, just like BA, it is what you make it. No need for willy waving on a public forum.
Well itís not about willy waving at all. Just providing information. How comes others are allowed to quote pay then? I came from LCC and had the same debate with my mate. Over a pint while at LCC we got our payslips out. I was shocked at his BA pay.

I have nothing against Easyjet and yes if I lived EDI, Bristol etc Easy would be my first choice. The Captains pay is very good at Easy for sure. FOs deserve more. From speaking with exEasys when I did my TR they were struggling in the early years as FOs. Paying back loans etc.

From when I worked at LCC every Captain would say the same. Would never go BA money way better here.

Yes it is what you make of it. BA works for me.

You must be exclusively doing short day trips??even then that seems very low. Looking through my iBid I average £1900 a month in extras. I try to bid for day trips.

Last edited by AIMINGHIGH123; 23rd Jun 2023 at 20:51.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 24th Jun 2023, 11:08
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FL370
Age: 37
Posts: 239
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
Well itís not about willy waving at all. Just providing information. How comes others are allowed to quote pay then? I came from LCC and had the same debate with my mate. Over a pint while at LCC we got our payslips out. I was shocked at his BA pay.

I have nothing against Easyjet and yes if I lived EDI, Bristol etc Easy would be my first choice. The Captains pay is very good at Easy for sure. FOs deserve more. From speaking with exEasys when I did my TR they were struggling in the early years as FOs. Paying back loans etc.

From when I worked at LCC every Captain would say the same. Would never go BA money way better here.

Yes it is what you make of it. BA works for me.

You must be exclusively doing short day trips??even then that seems very low. Looking through my iBid I average £1900 a month in extras. I try to bid for day trips.
I wish I was just doing day trips, I'm almost exclusively doing three and four day tours. There's good and bad points to every company. I'm happy where I am, but likewise I can appreciate just how good an employer easyJet is too.
EMB-145LR is offline  
Old 24th Jun 2023, 15:38
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Location: Seattle
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Count is correct in that easyJet is what you make of it - if you have a positive outlook and it suits you then it’s great. If it’s not; it’s not. I did over a decade at the place in various countries and only regret staying so long and would rather retire than go back. But that’s an entirely subjective view that doesn’t apply to the next fella. You have to collect your own information and make your own, grown-up decision.

Also as pointed out; the Count’s vantage point on female recruits/trainees etc does not provide a valid view on discrimination in the industry. Much more, closely guarded data would be necessary to make a simply statistical analysis of the situation and get an accurate answer.
Boeingdriver999 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.