Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Flight Deck Forums > Rumours & News
Reload this Page >

Pilot shortage - myth or reality?

Rumours & News Reporting Points that may affect our jobs or lives as professional pilots. Also, items that may be of interest to professional pilots.

Pilot shortage - myth or reality?

Old 9th Mar 2019, 00:36
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Ziltoidia... indeed'd.
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by Denti View Post
...buy a command via P2F and then join on the left side, it is easier and faster than internal upgrades.
As usual, pilots are their own worst enemy.
iggy is offline  
Old 9th Mar 2019, 17:05
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,159
Originally Posted by ph-sbe View Post
Whereas I got my CPL+MEP+IR and instead of flying students for the rest of my life I learned how to code. Now I fly and teach for fun and make way, way more than your TRE pilot in Silicon Valley.

Everyone on this forum that was able to learn how fly and operate large aircraft is more than intelligent enough to be able to learn how to code. If you get treated like crap at an airline, you go do something that pays better. It always helps to have a plan B.

If that pilot shortage really comes, I always have the option to join the airlines: if the price is right.
Some decades ago I was much in the same position and found coding paid multiples better than any available flying position.

Then I got downsized at 55 into a job market that was just as brutal to old coders as it was to low hour pilots.

So keep building that Plan A as you will likely be needing it not too long after you turn 35
RatherBeFlying is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2019, 10:20
  #63 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 358
For whatever reason some F/Os never make it to the left seat and stay career F/Os.
wondering is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 15:09
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 774
Everyone on this forum that was able to learn how fly and operate large aircraft is more than intelligent enough to be able to learn how to code. If you get treated like crap at an airline, you go do something that pays better. It always helps to have a plan B.
Indeed I went from a Computer Science degree to a well paid IT Consultancy position, that funded a CPL/IR after resignation, then 737-300, and then back to IT/Government consultancy. I recall many Captains after I stated my previous pre-airline salary look at me as if I were crazy to give it up, and more than one told me I was foolish.

There are youtube videos of a recent BA A320 captain in his early 30's give up flying to code... starting from his last days up front to his new career.
flash8 is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 16:57
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Netherlands
Age: 43
Posts: 3
After a standstill lasting a couple of years (about 2009-2013) I see a lot of movement now in the pilot market. I'm working for a semi-lowcost airline in NW Europe, and we are foreseeing problems te get pilots in the future. A lot of our FO's are 'upgrading' theirselves to the main carrier (really a lot, last year more than 10% of all pilots), so we need a lot of new guys. The new pilots are partly firsttimers, partly coming from other airlines like Ryanair. The company is even starting its own flying school to secure enough new pilots for the future.
So I don't know if there is a real shortage at this time (we still manage to attract enough new pilots), but management is taking measures for a possible shortage in the near future.
Fotor is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 19:38
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: France
Posts: 356
EatMyShorts! is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 20:08
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Age: 43
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying View Post
Then I got downsized at 55 into a job market that was just as brutal to old coders as it was to low hour pilots.
Sad, and weird, to hear. I'm well in my 40s and have not seen anything similar. Every company I've worked for so far has a mix of junior vs experienced SWEs. But then again, I'm in silicon valley where there is always a market for people with skills. For comparison (and not to show off), my W2 income for last year was well above 300k (this includes base, bonus, RSUs etc).Of course, that includes the silicon valley bonus (cost of living is horrible). I've yet to see air crew make that.

My point being that at this point in time, young people interested in aviation must make a choice between cash and their dreams, and potentially have a plan B.
ph-sbe is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 20:36
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta
Age: 51
Posts: 205
Originally Posted by ph-sbe View Post
Sad, and weird, to hear. I'm well in my 40s and have not seen anything similar. Every company I've worked for so far has a mix of junior vs experienced SWEs. But then again, I'm in silicon valley where there is always a market for people with skills. For comparison (and not to show off), my W2 income for last year was well above 300k (this includes base, bonus, RSUs etc).Of course, that includes the silicon valley bonus (cost of living is horrible). I've yet to see air crew make that.

My point being that at this point in time, young people interested in aviation must make a choice between cash and their dreams, and potentially have a plan B.

Just an FYI, every captain at DL, UA, AA, SW,A FDX, UPS makes more than 300K, and quite a few FOs do too. At least 30,000 pilots make that much money.
And on a totally unrelated note:"ook uit holland??"

Last edited by hans brinker; 13th Mar 2019 at 23:29.
hans brinker is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 21:19
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,143
Originally Posted by flash8 View Post
There are youtube videos of a recent BA A320 captain in his early 30's give up flying to code... starting from his last days up front to his new career.
I guess there might be more than one but the individual starring in the video EatMyShorts provided ended up flying in the Far East but (judging by a follow up video) seemed to hoping for a career change at some point.

Last edited by wiggy; 13th Mar 2019 at 21:30.
wiggy is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 22:39
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 774
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
I guess there might be more than one but the individual starring in the video EatMyShorts provided ended up flying in the Far East but (judging by a follow up video) seemed to hoping for a career change at some point.
Yes, that was the chap!
flash8 is offline  
Old 13th Mar 2019, 23:11
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: six micro tesla zone
Age: 27
Posts: 367
Quite a few skippers in China lift $350k net if money is your thing.
MaverickPrime is offline  
Old 14th Mar 2019, 21:03
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Age: 43
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by hans brinker View Post
Just an FYI, every captain at DL, UA, AA, SW,A FDX, UPS makes more than 300K, and quite a few FOs do too. At least 30,000 pilots make that much money.
And on a totally unrelated note:"ook uit holland??"
I've never seen an FO go above 300k, but good for them if they do. If at flagship carriers, getting to that level requires seniority to get to the left seat, and a mix of skill and luck to get to the left seat of long-haul. In my team, I have newgrads starting at 150+, with midlevel engineers (think early to late 30s) well above 200k. While that for sure is possible at a flagship carrier, we all know that for the average flyboy hopeful, that's simply a dream that is either unattainable or will take a lot of time. Which brings me back to my original point: have a plan B.

Holland is a long time ago. Lost NL citizenship and haven't been back in a long time.
ph-sbe is offline  
Old 17th Mar 2019, 21:37
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: at the edge of the alps
Posts: 305
And don't go flying for money alone. If you can't say "doing what I love and getting paid for it" at least sometimes, it's not the right job for you. I am not foreign to coding but I would think more than twice about changing from flying to coding just to increase my salary.
Alpine Flyer is offline  
Old 18th Mar 2019, 11:56
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Uk
Posts: 27
I got into flying because it looked interesting and glamorous .

I donít want to write ď code ď, even if you pay me a billion pounds TBH.

There wasnít a version of top gun based on IT...
Meester proach is offline  
Old 18th Mar 2019, 12:44
  #75 (permalink)  

Only half a speed-brake
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Commuting home
Age: 41
Posts: 2,202
There's the Matrix movie ...
FlightDetent is offline  
Old 18th Mar 2019, 15:14
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Florida and wherever my laptop is
Posts: 1,210
Originally Posted by Meester proach View Post
I got into flying because it looked interesting and glamorous .

I donít want to write ď code ď, even if you pay me a billion pounds TBH.

There wasnít a version of top gun based on IT...
There is a certain je ne sais quoi knowing that you guys are exercising code I wrote and systems I helped design
But don't expect huge sums or any thanks.
Ian W is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.