Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies)
Reload this Page >

Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!

Professional Pilot Training (includes ground studies) A forum for those on the steep path to that coveted professional licence. Whether studying for the written exams, training for the flight tests or building experience here's where you can hang out.

Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!

Old 26th Jun 2020, 19:07
  #961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Cyprus
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by African_TrouserSnake View Post
I strongly suggest you have a look around the forum before publishing your diary.

For your first point I wasnt explicitly aware that those students in the final stages had been terminated but figured so, an MPL definitely wouldnt be something id go for in the current state of the industry.

Secondly the reason i made this post is because i have major doubts regarding starting an integrated or any course now because as you say it is quite risky. However the biggest reason for even considering a school like CAE would be the possible advantage created by having gained a degree. That being said another reason to go modular would be the fact that i have a PPL and it would be pretty much redundant with the integrated ATPL.

Ontop of that looking at recent trends of traffic etc, the industry is slowly picking up. For example the domestic market in China has shown some very positive trends, could be viewed as a model as to how recovery may take its course in the EU for example.

Starting during these times could be viewed as a risk so less students overall will go for it meaning training could possibly come cheaper overall. Additionally do you really think the industry will be at these extremely low levels for more than 3-5 years? And if a second Covid wave hits it wont just be the aviation industry in major trouble and that will have no job prospects...

That being said, im still considering following another path something other than aviation, however I know for sure that if the industry recovers faster than expected i will regret the decision and want to take the aviation path as soon as i can. Thus possibly another financial burden or wasted money on another plan. The industry will definitely rise to pre-covid levels and even higher in time. World population is growing and people will always want to travel whether thats for business, pleasure or other reasons. On top of that, a first job during such times wont necessarily be in a big jet, there's a lot of opportunities in many sectors of the industry which provide useful experience and could potentially set you up for a job in the airlines as they recover. I think overall its better to invest and put effort into something are highly driven in rather than half heartedly go through a degree which doesnt necessarily make you tick, only to graduate and work a job dishing out very average or often below average wages when you can at least be working in the field you want even if initially the pay isnt the greatest.

All of that being said I havent pulled the trigger yet just exploring my options and all discussions like these have some positive come out of them, so thanks for taking the time to reply.
C.luc is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 20:54
  #962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 29
CAE easyJet MPL 2020

Read this. Airlines are still getting rid of peopel and you think you'll get a job even for a small company? Doubt it, mate dont do it you have a PPL go modular. Sky-blue summed it up really well.
Modular Halil is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 22:06
  #963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Originally Posted by C.luc View Post
For your first point I wasnt explicitly aware that ...
Thanks for clearing that up, it seems as if you have tought about it. However I can still sense an considerable amount of (here we go again) confirmation bias in your reply.

Originally Posted by C.luc View Post
Additionally do you really think the industry will be at these extremely low levels for more than 3-5 years?
In my opinion AT LEAST 3-5 years, but noone knows and I don't pretend that I do. By looking at the past we can only hope for 3-5 years. Please remember that COVID is not only hitting the airlines, but the global economy.
If you don't take it from me please subscribe yourself to the 'european airline pilots' facebook group, there is a large amount of senior captains talking about unseen and unprecedented never seen before in their career doubting they will ever fly again. (now driving delivery trucks btw, should be a red flag for you to get a degree!)

Originally Posted by C.luc View Post
The industry will definitely rise to pre-covid levels and even higher in time
Originally Posted by C.luc View Post
World population is growing and people will always want to travel whether thats for business, pleasure or other reasons.
Originally Posted by C.luc View Post
For example the domestic market in China has shown some very positive trends, could be viewed as a model as to how recovery may take its course in the EU for example.
[source required]
It would be wise to abstain yourself from these gutfeelings as it based on thin air. As you have already displayed by writing something among the lines of 'integrated is preferred by airlines', stick to the facts mate you sound like a amateur psychologist crossbred with a fortune teller.

Your train of tought is EXACTLY the kind of peak confirmation bias which tends to get newbies into trouble. I don't where you get it from, is it from the flightschool ads or u-tube pilots? In both cases they only care about maintaining their business, wether it is by selling you snakeoil or not.

Originally Posted by C.luc View Post
I think overall its better to invest and put effort into something are highly driven in rather than half heartedly go through a degree which doesnt necessarily make you tick, only to graduate and work a job dishing out very average or often below average wages when you can at least be working in the field you want even if initially the pay isnt the greatest.
How about whole heartedly going trough a degree which makes you tick, only to graduate and work an unrelated job at minimum wage with no perspective of the getting the job you studied for. It is sad but this was the reality post 2008 for a LONG time.

You will probably think 'oh well so what, doesn't matter for how long I will have to wait, as long as I get to brrrr fly the plane brrr brr.
Washing dishes or driving around in a Tesco truck for 40h per week at minimum wage, living at your parents' only to spend the majority of your pay on your loan's interest. it will make 1 year seem like an eternity, let alone 2-3-4-5 years. You will quite literally become a voluntary wageslave.

Originally Posted by C.luc View Post
i have a PPL and it would be pretty much redundant with the integrated ATPL.
Come on mate, why do you even consider integrated? Besides the no job and very very overpriced story, why would you even consider piping down a further 15k worth of ppl time for nothing? Get a degree and if you want to fly, start your ATPL theory. Life isn't always about fun you know, sometimes the hard way is the right way.

Basing on you're post you're quite young and I presume that you don't have the required money yourself.
It is none of my business and you're free to spend your money as you like, just make sure that you don't take others down with you (parents etc) in order for you to fulfill your needs of brr brr fly aeroplane.

I have read endless stories of parents / family shelling out the money for their precious son to make his dreams come true, without further researching the matter themselves and blindly trusting the flightschools great promises, only to have their little boy live as a depressed ghost in their basement, hiding from the debt collector while dad and mum pay off the biggest part of his interests.
African_TrouserSnake is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 22:13
  #964 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 29
African_TrouserSnake

hear! hear!...OP if what you're coming here for is to have people agree with you and fuel your Mindest and approve your choices for choosing an easyjet mpl then you're in the wrong place...
Modular Halil is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 11:24
  #965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 2
Switching from Integrated to Modular

I can't find any information on the internet about switching over from an integrated to a modular course.

I have started my ATPL theory and sat some exams but I am now looking to change to become a modular student.
The criteria on doing ATPL exams is that you must be either a PPL Licence Holder or be an integrated student.
Since I will soon be neither of those things (as ab initio training starts with the theoretical exams, not flying), how will this affect the legality of my ATPL theoretical exams?

Any info/advice/experience on switching would be much appreciated!
ladyp1l0t is offline  
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 22:59
  #966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
Try to finish the ATPLs before leaving your integrated course, it will save you a whole lot of trouble.

Otherwise you'll have to obtain a PPL first (=go trough PPL theoretical + PPL Practical) before you can restart your ATPLs.
Which undoubtly will take a few months, meanwhile the period in which you will have to finish all of your ATPL exams will keep on ticking (max. 18 months counted from your first exam).
+ you'll have to find another groundschool (= paying again), which sucks if you've already paid your fees etc at the integrated school.

Some CAA's will even render your ATPL results invalid if you 'restart' your training program elsewhere, it is completely ridicilous but what can you do about it. Not all CAA's do this, so inform at your national CAA.

Have you already done some exams?
African_TrouserSnake is offline  
Old 4th Jul 2020, 08:02
  #967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: UK
Posts: 2
I have already started some ATPL exams and I am due to finish Groundschool with my current school as I have finished all of theory and just waiting for exam dates due to Covid delays.

I’ve heard mixed opinions on whether ATPL exams would supersede my PPL exams such that I wouldn’t need to do that theory as well.
ladyp1l0t is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2020, 19:27
  #968 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Europe
Posts: 17
With all due respect, a forum might not be the place to get your info from. Inform at your national CAA.

I can only speak for my national CAA's rules but I am pretty sure they're a direct copy+paste from the EASA part FCL and other relevant annexes.


Your ATPL(A) exams will supersede your PPL(A) exams if and only if you have succesfully completed all of your exams and thus posses an ATPL theoretical knowledge certificate.

If you change from an integrated to a modular flightschool, with incomplete ATPLs you will need to adhere to the modular student requirements. Effectively meaning that you will be required to posess a PPL license before you can finish your remaining ATPL subjects ---> your thusfar completed ATPL exams will not be counted towards your PPL theoretical knowledge certificate, you will still need to complete ALL PPL subjects as required for issueing your PPL license.

Hence my advice; stay at your current (integrated) school untill you've completed all of your ATPLs. If you revert to modular now and silently complete your exams while being administrated as a modular student without a ppl license, you will not comply with the modular requirements and your results might be rendered invalid by your CAA.

Don't take a risk
  1. Inform at your national CAA.
  2. If the above information applies, stay integrated or make sure you can finish both PPL + remaining ATPLs within the required 18 month timeframe.
African_TrouserSnake is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.