Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Old 30th Dec 2019, 15:01
  #3781 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3
Hey all, I have been using the forms for the last year and used them to prepare for my ASP that I attended in early November this year. I received a recommendation for pilot and I was just wondering if anyone knows when the next round of OSB's will be?
ND_98 is offline  
Old 16th Feb 2020, 04:22
  #3782 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAUDI
Posts: 283
Hi ND,

They do have dates for OSB's but also will ramp up extra ones if they have not been able to get the numbers they want. I am guessing you would have been told about the "standing" of applicants with this being a fluctuating thing as applicants come in and depart. Basically you just have to wait.
finestkind is offline  
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 21:23
  #3783 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
RAAF Pil​​​​​​​ot Application

Hey guys I had a question,

I wear Ortho K (Google of needed) contact lenses which I just wear at night and it corrects my vision back to 20/20. I only got these recently and am yet to make the DFR aware of these. My Optometrist says that its my choice if I want to tell them, but I don't want it to impact my chances.

Anyone in a similar situation or a suggestion?
Jos G is offline  
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 09:28
  #3784 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: SA
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by Jos G View Post
Hey guys I had a question,

I wear Ortho K (Google of needed) contact lenses which I just wear at night and it corrects my vision back to 20/20. I only got these recently and am yet to make the DFR aware of these. My Optometrist says that its my choice if I want to tell them, but I don't want it to impact my chances.

Anyone in a similar situation or a suggestion?
ĎIntegrityí is one of our values and what you will find is that people stay true to that. If as part of your medical they ask for information referencing your eye sight or any enhancements, I wouldnít be hiding anything. Not to say you need to run down to DFR at first light and let them know, but be smart and be fair. This is what you should and would expect in the aircrew environment.

Realistically, and maybe a hard truth to encounter - but if it is something that the AVMO consider to be a concern, fair chance itís for good reason. Limitations that arenít a factor are taken on board and managed appropriately, but if it is a limiting factor then it may ruin your chances - though itís better than not having your mates back when you least expect it during operations.
PP0595 is offline  
Old 17th Apr 2020, 07:08
  #3785 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3
Hi again everyone,
Last month I successfully passed my RAAF OSB for pilot. Is there anyone else on this forum who is currently awaiting a letter of offer?
Also, I currently work full time and have not studied since i graduated high school in 2016. I undertook an extension mathematics bridging course last year, after i was told in 2017 that my mathematics was not competitive enough to send me to the old flight screening program when that used to run. Is there any other short courses or study that I could take on to make my application look better? I am considering starting a 3 year aviation based degree but not sure if it is worth taking on such a big commitment at this stage.
Thanks.
ND_98 is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2020, 05:08
  #3786 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by ND_98 View Post
Hi again everyone,
Last month I successfully passed my RAAF OSB for pilot. Is there anyone else on this forum who is currently awaiting a letter of offer?
Also, I currently work full time and have not studied since i graduated high school in 2016. I undertook an extension mathematics bridging course last year, after i was told in 2017 that my mathematics was not competitive enough to send me to the old flight screening program when that used to run. Is there any other short courses or study that I could take on to make my application look better? I am considering starting a 3 year aviation based degree but not sure if it is worth taking on such a big commitment at this stage.
Thanks.
Hey Mate, I just got my letter of offer so hopefully your one is coming too. Don't stress to hard if you don't get one though as I did my OSB in September last year and only just now received it. If you wan't to do a degree then do one, but do it with the assumption you won't get in as a pilot and it will lead you down a career path you want. If you don't want a big commitment then I'd say your best bet is to do short term high reward things like volunteering or getting a job that has you leading a team of people.
GiBrMn is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2020, 08:52
  #3787 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Great Southern Land
Posts: 19
Originally Posted by ND_98 View Post
Hi again everyone,
Last month I successfully passed my RAAF OSB for pilot. Is there anyone else on this forum who is currently awaiting a letter of offer?
Also, I currently work full time and have not studied since i graduated high school in 2016. I undertook an extension mathematics bridging course last year, after i was told in 2017 that my mathematics was not competitive enough to send me to the old flight screening program when that used to run. Is there any other short courses or study that I could take on to make my application look better? I am considering starting a 3 year aviation based degree but not sure if it is worth taking on such a big commitment at this stage.
Thanks.
Congratulations passing the OSB! This is a great time to join the RAAF if aviation is your goal, the civil world is going to take a while to recover from this hit.

As for uni courses, I query why you think you need to make yourself more attractive as a candidate? If you passed and received a recommendation then it's locked in for now. I'm not too familiar with the new screening process, do they tell you how well you performed?

I personally wouldn't worry about the degree for now, I think there's other avenues you can go down to make yourself look better if that's what you're after (community service, volunteer work etc). Besides, if you get in you can study on the government dollar if you still want to do a degree.
Malakor1 is offline  
Old 24th Apr 2020, 07:08
  #3788 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Malakor1 View Post
Congratulations passing the OSB! This is a great time to join the RAAF if aviation is your goal, the civil world is going to take a while to recover from this hit.

As for uni courses, I query why you think you need to make yourself more attractive as a candidate? If you passed and received a recommendation then it's locked in for now. I'm not too familiar with the new screening process, do they tell you how well you performed?

I personally wouldn't worry about the degree for now, I think there's other avenues you can go down to make yourself look better if that's what you're after (community service, volunteer work etc). Besides, if you get in you can study on the government dollar if you still want to do a degree.
Thanks alot mate! Definitely nice to know that I've done all I can until this point. In terms of the degree, it's more so just in case I have to re apply next year, to make my self look better if I don't get an offer this year. My ASP standing was competitive enough to progress me but my debriefer said it's on the lower end of candidates that pass through. Just trying to prepare anything I can so if I have to redo my ASP and OSB I have an even better chance.
As for volunteering work, I was doing quite a bit of volunteering stuff before all this COVID-19 situation, which is why a degree is really the only other thing I can think of to help better my application.
ND_98 is offline  
Old 8th May 2020, 11:42
  #3789 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 2
ADF Pilot Specialist Testing

Hi Guys,
I have my pilot specialist testing coming up soon and just want to ask what you guys would recommend that I study besides the normal stuff like velocity, acceleration, and quick maths calculations. It's just that I've heard it a tough exam and only like 15% of people pass it.

Thanks.
Karan Johal is offline  
Old 17th May 2020, 03:35
  #3790 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: wollongong
Posts: 2
Hey guys, Iím just wondering what my chances are of being a successful candidate for Raaf pilot. Iíve passed the you session and additional testing. Got to the psych interview, got through what seemed like most the questions and then got asked if I had a drivers license. I told them I recently lost it for 6 months for speeding. (I didnít want to lie). They told me to come back for my assessment day 9 months later. I also didnít finish year 12 but got to advance because I emailed my transcripts for a couple of cert 4s and a semester at uni for exercise science. Since then I havenít been able to study or work because of my license and the isolation thatís going on and Iím not attending uni anymore.
Ive just been studying my ass off for months and hoping I ace the assessment and ASP in hope of standing a chance. Would that be enough or would my downfalls stop me from advancing.
Thanks for any reply.
Kallin James is offline  
Old 18th May 2020, 07:18
  #3791 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAUDI
Posts: 283
Kallin if you do not try than that will be a downfall.
finestkind is offline  
Old 18th May 2020, 09:07
  #3792 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: wollongong
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by finestkind View Post
Kallin if you do not try than that will be a downfall.
oh yes Iím definitely going to try my best. I just hope them concerns donít ruin my chances.
Kallin James is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2020, 23:44
  #3793 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 1
Good morning all,

I have passed my RAAF Pilot Assessment Day and have heard (unofficially) that RAAF is considering running ASPs in Canberra starting in around 3 weeks, as a result of the border closures in Victoria presently. Has anyone on this forum heard anything that could corroborate this rumour?

Cheers,
Aurelius is offline  
Old 20th Jul 2020, 06:24
  #3794 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2
Hi Aurelius,

Can confirm that ASPs are running in Canberra (Royal Military College Duntroon). Mine was scheduled Monday 20-24th July, but postponed due to their one week notice. Was advised to expect one week notices during this challenging period.

I am currently awaiting for further instructions and have been told I will likely be in the next session scheduled in the next 2-3 weeks.

Hope that helps.

P
Pierre Liu is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.