Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

RAAF Flight Screening Programme

Old 16th Jul 2021, 03:35
  #3741 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
follow up

Another point I'll bring forward that I forgot to put in my last post.

Both candidates who were highly recommended by the MACTS testing had 0, zilch, zip, zero flying experience, so if that's holding you back because you're worried about how you might perform, don't let it.
Personally, I'm an Engineer and a gamer and I think that's what got me through.
SandpitNinja is offline  
Old 27th Jul 2021, 12:37
  #3742 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: 69 swag street
Posts: 3
Officer Aviation Test Battery

Hi SandpitNinja, thanks for the reply! Congratulations on passing, best of luck with your OSB.
I did a little bit of research, the new Officer Aviation Test Battery (OATB) I was talking about seems to be something you do at your local recruiting centre after your YOU session aptitude test, and before the ASP. Do you remember doing anything like that? I think it's a pretty new test, added within the last 6 months.
pimpslayer is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2021, 13:51
  #3743 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Townsville, QLD
Posts: 2
Jumping on the bandwagon😄

Hi Guys,
I'm preparing for the ASP which is in 4 days time. I know I left it till the last minute. But this is after rescheduling three times due to lockdown in NSW. I'm going to study on the CBAT app from today. Is there any other apps/material available which will make me ready for the day? Even though my name is flyingbuddy, I have never been to the cockpit of a plane 😅, which gives me so much pressure and anxiety about the ASP.
Thanks in advance for the tips.
Regards,
Yours truly
flyingbuddy is offline  
Old 1st Oct 2021, 19:56
  #3744 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by flyingbuddy View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm preparing for the ASP which is in 4 days time. I know I left it till the last minute. But this is after rescheduling three times due to lockdown in NSW. I'm going to study on the CBAT app from today. Is there any other apps/material available which will make me ready for the day? Even though my name is flyingbuddy, I have never been to the cockpit of a plane 😅, which gives me so much pressure and anxiety about the ASP.
Thanks in advance for the tips.
Regards,
Yours truly
Hey Flyingbuddy,
From the email you sent me, I assumed you were talking about the additional testing day after the YOU session and before assessment day. Is this incorrect?
If I've given you the wrong info in my reply email I'm sorry, lmk (email will be faster) and I can point you in the right direction for some ASP info if needs be.

Have they changed the ASP due to lockdowns? Do you no longer have to go to RAAF East Sale in VIC?

I just assumed that due to Vic lockdowns they weren't running ASP at the moment, but makes sense that they would run satellite ASPs for interstate candidates to get them through the pipeline.
SandpitNinja is offline  
Old 2nd Dec 2021, 05:54
  #3745 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: QLD
Posts: 1
Hi all,

I recently was recommended at my OSB for RAAF DEO pilot. Just wondering if anyone who still peruses this forum, or is in a similar position has any info regarding dates they will be sending out offer letters?
nick0 is offline  
Old 22nd Dec 2021, 03:41
  #3746 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAUDI
Posts: 381
VHOEG,

it has always been this cycle. ADFA intake is early in the year and the last testing is done late in the year.
finestkind is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2022, 05:59
  #3747 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 4
Hey there,
Does anyone have any idea when the RAAF do their distributions for offers/select who theyíre taking on for the next OTS? Say, a month before course, etc?
KelvinHelmholtz998 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2022, 01:20
  #3748 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AUSTRALIA - CHINA STHN
Age: 58
Posts: 261
RAAF flight training

Originally Posted by SandpitNinja View Post
Another point I'll bring forward that I forgot to put in my last post.

Both candidates who were highly recommended by the MACTS testing had 0, zilch, zip, zero flying experience, so if that's holding you back because you're worried about how you might perform, don't let it.
Personally, I'm an Engineer and a gamer and I think that's what got me through.
All, this is a word of advice for those considering pilot training. The failure rates for those without any flying experience at all are anywhere from twice , to four times as high as those candidates with some flying experience. The sweet spot is probably about 25 - 30 hours at RPL level. More than this probably isnít needed , but zero hour candidates before starting actual flying are highly represented in suspensions. This is not always ability but often the environment that comes as a surprise ( being in a cockpit , g suit and vest , with a helmet / oxy mask and then the information overload plus 3 - D nature of flying. Simply going solo at a flying school can be enough to let you realise what you are in for. This is not something that a game can replicate. Even though testing metrics show you can get on and pass the course, doing is often a better indicator Ö it also demonstrates motivation if you have done a little flying - and often that alone can get you through the pilots course .. FYI
woodja51 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2022, 06:12
  #3749 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAUDI
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by woodja51 View Post
All, this is a word of advice for those considering pilot training. The failure rates for those without any flying experience at all are anywhere from twice , to four times as high as those candidates with some flying experience. The sweet spot is probably about 25 - 30 hours at RPL level. More than this probably isnít needed , but zero hour candidates before starting actual flying are highly represented in suspensions. This is not always ability but often the environment that comes as a surprise ( being in a cockpit , g suit and vest , with a helmet / oxy mask and then the information overload plus 3 - D nature of flying. Simply going solo at a flying school can be enough to let you realise what you are in for. This is not something that a game can replicate. Even though testing metrics show you can get on and pass the course, doing is often a better indicator Ö it also demonstrates motivation if you have done a little flying - and often that alone can get you through the pilots course .. FYI
Very valid points.... for the old and bold system and in essence I agree. Are you quoting the failure rate from the new training system? You indicate that there is a "high" suspension rate before even starting flying. If so than this could well be from RC's sending anyone and everyone for testing, without real aviation motivation (you could be a pilot, wanna give it a go), or yep did very well on MACTS but education is not very good and therefore find it difficult with ground school (and if things are difficult with ground school than that resilience that has been fostered since birth will kick in, won't it?). The new system supposedly alleviates the cockpit shock significantly. Also the selection system is/was MACTS weighted, meaning that if you did very well and I mean very well than either deficiencies could be excused or the RAAF would help correct those deficiencies. In regards to flying time, yes and no. Once this would be a help in a) assessing motivation (keeping in mind location and financial constraints of candidates) and b) having airborne experience to substantiate that flying desire. Have already had this occur with a successful MACTS candidate with no airborne experience undergoing training and stating to his instructor "that if I had known that flying was like this I would not have joined".
As far as assessing the failure rate the RAAF has set itself up very well once again. Introducing a new selection process with a new aircraft and new training syllabi. I mean what could go wrong. Given the current inventory there can be little argument, I would think, that being a systems operator rather than a hands and feet operator is as desired if not more so.
finestkind is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2022, 07:25
  #3750 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 4
finestkind
So the MACTS testing seems to be a reliable indicator of someone successfully passing flight training - along with motivation and perhaps some flight hours as mentioned?

Does it appear thereís at least been an improvement in pass rates since the closure of the old FSP?
KelvinHelmholtz998 is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2022, 22:00
  #3751 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAUDI
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by KelvinHelmholtz998 View Post
finestkind
So the MACTS testing seems to be a reliable indicator of someone successfully passing flight training - along with motivation and perhaps some flight hours as mentioned?

Does it appear thereís at least been an improvement in pass rates since the closure of the old FSP?
It is untenable to assess pass rates based on MACTS. As I indicated the introduction of a new selection process and assessment of it's success is stymied by a new aircraft, new training syllabi, and the reintroduction of a straight through one type aircraft training. Combine this with a more open filter at recruiting allowing a significantly larger number to undertake ASP ( which brings in other issues impacting on success rate, education being one) than assessing MACTS as being successful in itself would be delivering false statistics.
finestkind is offline  
Old 15th Jun 2022, 02:09
  #3752 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 4
finestkind
If you had to name five qualities/attributes a candidate should posses, to successfully pass flight training, what would they be?


Last edited by KelvinHelmholtz998; 15th Jun 2022 at 20:06.
KelvinHelmholtz998 is offline  
Old 16th Jun 2022, 02:50
  #3753 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAUDI
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by KelvinHelmholtz998 View Post
finestkind
If you had to name five qualities/attributes a candidate should posses, to successfully pass flight training, what would they be?
Put me on the spot but I'll give it a go.

Potential. But potential without motivation is a fail.
Motivation. But motivation without application is a fail.
Application. But application without realistic appreciation/maturity of the difficulty is a fail.
Realistic appreciation/maturity. But without a goal is fail.
A goal provides motivation, application, appreciation and if you are upright and breathing potential can be developed.

There are a few more attributes and aptitudes that will help along the way. Such as military ethos etc. Airborne adaptability Had a candidate that threw up on every sortie at least twice if not more. Now there was no doubt with his motivation and he had reasonable potential but he was never going to make the standard in the desired time. He had chronic motion sickness (plan's, train's, and automobiles, plus anything that had any motion i.e he could not watch Top Gun). Even if he had been allowed to progress at his own rate having a squadron mate that threw up all the time presents it's own issues.

Last edited by finestkind; 16th Jun 2022 at 03:50.
finestkind is offline  
Old 16th Jun 2022, 08:43
  #3754 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Australia
Posts: 4
finestkind
Ack, Iíll keep this in mind if I am lucky enough to get my foot in the door.

Last edited by KelvinHelmholtz998; 16th Jun 2022 at 20:21.
KelvinHelmholtz998 is offline  
Old 16th Jun 2022, 12:23
  #3755 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: The wrong time zone...
Posts: 764
Being a “good bloke/blokette” goes a LONG way to your success on course, too…
Nobody likes to fly with, or train, a knob.
josephfeatherweight is online now  
Old 17th Jun 2022, 11:55
  #3756 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 93
Several comments made about ground school.
Might I enquire what the current ground school
(a) subjects are
(b) training material in each subject is like
(c) instructors are like so far as technical competence and delivery is concerned
(d) rate of material delivery is like
(e) instructor/student ratio is
RHLMcG is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.