PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Middle East (https://www.pprune.org/middle-east-44/)
-   -   Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged) (https://www.pprune.org/middle-east/288896-joining-qatar-airways-qr-all-you-need-know-about-threads-merged.html)

NoodleDriver 13th Jun 2019 15:25


Originally Posted by casablanca (Post 10488934)

from my view point it seems they call the more qualified first!


Much appreciated Casablanca

Papers in a few weeks ago.
Looking forward to the process.

captainpluto 15th Jun 2019 10:13

Muscat assessment
 
Hello,

Only 3 out of 25 candidates selected for simulator in Doha, out of which 2 were already 777 rated. Is this a joke or something? Real waste of time and money. Recommend everyone to stay away from QR.

VelocityNeverExceed 15th Jun 2019 15:23


Originally Posted by captainpluto (Post 10494279)
Hello,

Only 3 out of 25 candidates selected for simulator in Doha, out of which 2 were already 777 rated. Is this a joke or something? Real waste of time and money. Recommend everyone to stay away from QR.

Real waste of company's time and money (not yours, everything was paid ffs) indeed that unqualified individuals are applying. Indeed recommend everyone who's unqualified to stay away. :D

Ifham Adam Ibrahim 16th Jun 2019 22:25

Qatar Airways MPL
 
Anyone know anything about the Self-funded MPL scheme? And how long does it take to move on from "under review"?

captainpluto 17th Jun 2019 05:29


Originally Posted by VelocityNeverExceed (Post 10494432)
Real waste of company's time and money (not yours, everything was paid ffs) indeed that unqualified individuals are applying. Indeed recommend everyone who's unqualified to stay away. :D

Hello,

Learn to read and write before you speak, nothing was paid for by the company. Tickets, visa, hotel everything was paid for the pilots for the Muscat assessment. Also, those who gave the assessment were highly qualified as per the company requirements. The problem with our industry is disgusting pilots like yourself who look down upon others. I am guessing you have been badly rubbed at a wrong spot somewhere in your life of which your are removing the frustration here.

NoodleDriver 17th Jun 2019 08:12


Originally Posted by captainpluto (Post 10495426)
Hello,

Learn to read and write before you speak, nothing was paid for by the company. Tickets, visa, hotel everything was paid for the pilots for the Muscat assessment. Also, those who gave the assessment were highly qualified as per the company requirements. The problem with our industry is disgusting pilots like yourself who look down upon others. I am guessing you have been badly rubbed at a wrong spot somewhere in your life of which your are removing the frustration here.


Pluto

In 2015 you were joining Saudia as a 77 FO
In 2016 you asked about Oman air 737 FO jobs
In 2018 you asked about Fiji air 737 FO jobs

​​​​​​
I'm not sure what your resume looks like or why you didn't pass screening... But perhaps blaming the company for your failure isn't properly evaluating how and what you should be concentrating on to do better next time.

WrldWide 18th Jun 2019 11:32

Please can we stay on topic?

CanadaRocks 20th Jun 2019 00:01

Good day Ladies/Gentleman...I interviewed in April for DEC A350...I was successful, but now I am in the holding pattern...How long does it usually take to get the offer letter?

Many thanks,
CR

desertcamel 21st Jun 2019 07:13


Originally Posted by CanadaRocks (Post 10498164)
Good day Ladies/Gentleman...I interviewed in April for DEC A350...I was successful, but now I am in the holding pattern...How long does it usually take to get the offer letter?

Many thanks,
CR

CR,

Did they give you a joining date already?

Dc

tomuchwork 21st Jun 2019 23:50


Originally Posted by CanadaRocks (Post 10498164)
Good day Ladies/Gentleman...I interviewed in April for DEC A350...I was successful, but now I am in the holding pattern...How long does it usually take to get the offer letter?

Many thanks,
CR

My god. Still people falling for this company.

Anyway - WAY back it took me 1 year from interview to pool to join. Even that my employer went bancrupt in the meantime did not bother the fantastic people at QR(I asked if I could join earlier, immediate availability, they even DID NOT bother to reply). Had to take a lease job to stay afloat and feed my family in between.

On some stage received a letter(with time limit, of course) which offered me my DEC job. Needed to be returned signed.

Unfortunately I fell for them and really joined which was most likely the biggest mistake of my life(but hey, learning by doing and others will repeat your mistakes) even being only on a temporary job. Should have sticked with that (european) outfit. Long story short, I left this miserable joke of an airline 3 years later.

But DO expect some waiting in the pool.

Funny sidestory - 10 years later, different airline. One of my FO(knowing that I was once flying for the qatari clowns), was seeking some advice. He applied, close to command upgrade, got the offer to join them. I discouraged him, he played on time (meaning he played along the "joining procedure" but never really resigned from his current job because of my warning(I want believe, but he is a clever fella). Well, 1 month(!!) before joining they wrote him an email stating that he is back in the holding pool(!!!, can you imagine, you would have quit your job already with your old airline) because "situation has changed".

Well, no harm for him, he had a job AND in the meantime his upgrading. In worst case you would be out of a job or, if your old company keeps you, maybe at the bottom of the seniority list again.

Like most middle eastern carriers this guys have no conscience. Stay clear if you can(by having an other job). They cannot be thrusted which counts as well to Chinese Operators obviously.

CanadaRocks 26th Jun 2019 10:15

They have not.

CR.

MTK 27th Jun 2019 17:08


Originally Posted by Papa_Golf (Post 10476555)
Quick head up for those in the pool.

QR has just switched medical insurance provider Allianz Worldwide Care with a semi-unknown qatari company called Al Koot.

Itís a cost cutting measure which surely changes T&C for the worse.

I am disappointed because Allianz was working perfectly both in Doha and abroad.

one of many recent reductions of our terms
broken promises too
crappy staff travel

jadrolinija 28th Jun 2019 09:59


Originally Posted by MTK (Post 10504203)


one of many recent reductions of our terms
broken promises too
crappy staff travel

What reductions were recently done?

level_change 28th Jun 2019 12:50

Im not commenting here to stop anyone from joining QR but I would just like to share this wikipedia article about the country that you are so desperately trying to work for.
Please just run a little decision making for once by taking at least some information into account that is available to you.

Here I even spoon feed it to you...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

Let me ask you respected "professionals"; Who of you, in this very moment is dreaming about the money here and the big airplanes and throws overboard every last piece of consciousness, ignoring the facts which are now so obvious in your face here and elsewhere?

Are you being manipulated by the PR?
Are you just desperate for money which isn't even that much when you calculate how many hours you actually spent on behalf of the job?
Do you come from a place that has equally low standards and think that this is acceptable?
Do you believe that because you can lift a gear handle and push the A/P button, that you will somehow be given any special (basic human) rights here?

I'm glad I exited this place a while ago - best decision in my life so far. Good luck with your decision - you are the only one who can make it.

Black Pudding 28th Jun 2019 13:31


Originally Posted by level_change (Post 10504756)
Im not commenting here to stop anyone from joining QR but I would just like to share this wikipedia article about the country that you are so desperately trying to work for.
Please just run a little decision making for once by taking at least some information into account that is available to you.

Here I even spoon feed it to you...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Qatar

Let me ask you respected "professionals"; Who of you, in this very moment is dreaming about the money here and the big airplanes and throws overboard every last piece of consciousness, ignoring the facts which are now so obvious in your face here and elsewhere?

Are you being manipulated by the PR?
Are you just desperate for money which isn't even that much when you calculate how many hours you actually spent on behalf of the job?
Do you come from a place that has equally low standards and think that this is acceptable?
Do you believe that because you can lift a gear handle and push the A/P button, that you will somehow be given any special (basic human) rights here?

I'm glad I exited this place a while ago - best decision in my life so far. Good luck with your decision - you are the only one who can make it.

Was this article not available in order to stop you coming ?

level_change 28th Jun 2019 14:44

It's easy to disregard such things just like I did in the face of a decent paycheck and a new typerating but everything comes at a price.

Black Pudding 28th Jun 2019 16:53


Originally Posted by level_change (Post 10504815)
It's easy to disregard such things just like I did in the face of a decent paycheck and a new typerating but everything comes at a price.

So would you be able to tell me which parts of that Wikipedia page you can actually say you have witnessed here in Qatar, because I have witnessed none.

How long where you actually here, 3 years ? Did you leave or were you fired and have an axe to grind.



tomuchwork 29th Jun 2019 13:23


Originally Posted by level_change (Post 10504815)
It's easy to disregard such things just like I did in the face of a decent paycheck and a new typerating but everything comes at a price.

Well guys. I have been warned before I joined as well(2006), of COURSE I did not beliefe this "dimwits" which tried to tell me that it would be the worst decission in my life(it was, they have been right). Now some of us try to warn new joiners, I do it in my current european loco ops whereever and whenever I can. Even the worst european loco is better than this qatari gig IF you consider things that level_change was pointing out and I full agree with him.

I was close to leave QR the same evening I arrived down there and they dumped me at that crappy place close to Mushareb flyover(I think the place was called like that). Horrible. Should have followed my basic instincts and take a taxi to the airport, buy a ticket, fly back home. Unfortunately I stayed and started the "joining procedure" the next morning(no bus showed up even it was promised and it was a hassle to make it to the main office, this was warning #2 I, moron as I was, ignored. Al Baker is still there, that means the company will not change a bit(more or less comparable to RYR and O'Leary, just at least European laws force them to play a bit along, nothing like that exists in QR itself or the country.

I still beliefe every individual needs to make his own mistakes in life, which , by joining QR, sure counts towards a major mistake(at least for Europeans, maybe as well (North-)Americans). It was fine for South Americans, Africans and more or less everything from Asia as the safety standards in the ME would be even better then their home countries(excluding Japan and South Korea, maybe Vietnam), not even talking about pay.

QR(and EK in the menatime as well) is a choice. A good one for pilots from mentioned regions, they still make good money and some live like kings back home with that money earned. Not true for sure for Europeans IF you consider social security, retirement, unemployement, LABOUR LAWS, quality of life etc. Maybe still interesting for (deep) eastern Europeans, I heard that some countries like Romania, Bulgaria, etc. still struggle a bit with obove mentioned standards.

I am fully aware that if someone is fully set to GO for QR he/she will go for it because they beliefe it might be a chance of a lifetime(I did so as well and was SO wrong). In this case they need to see the place and ENJOY QR. Only by that you learn as a person and pilot. But there are plenty of others that are very happy to receive honest first hand feedback(some as well given in my current airline and this guys actually never went for QR, I assume I "helped" a bit to convince them to stay and get a fast upgrade instead) and are glad they do not need to make the same mistakes as we did.

My 10 cents....

Black Pudding

I whitnessed following in Doha:

-mass raping of western (white) women by some construction workes(because they are kept like slaves by themself, not to excuse what they did but find a possible explanation)(of course I was not there but the story was in the local newspaper and the woman made very clear who and how many raped he during he 3 day(!!) "adventure").
-slave labour camps distributed all over the country. For sure it went worse for preparation for the soccer campionship that they only got because of corrupt leaders of the soccer association(as we know from the news).
-slavery(maids, documents taken, raped by all the men of the local family, no possibility to escape, some ran away, worked for expats families - illegally of course because no papers - just to be hunted down by local police and re-submitted to their local "sponsors"....). Happened to a feelow south american skipper in the same compound. Our kids played together, so I heard the story directly from the other skipper.
-removal of human rights(taking away your passport for a month for the "visa" and you are trapped in that joke of a country. Need to ask for a multiple exit visa - company needs to agree on that, fully paid by yourself - otherwise you always need to ask, for each exit, to the company)
-and and and....could continue the list for ever. Ah, another one - locals can drive like the last crap, cut, turn, overtake, race, IF local police is picking YOU then you are f****d. Or if the "royal family" decides to have a drive - halve of Doha is blocked - each roundabout blocked by local police. Seems they never heard of bloody helicopters, and least they would the already messy traffic in this S***hole called Doha alone. Enough traffic jams WITHOUT the local dictator having a ride in his car.

I left by myself after I warned them before. They did not improve so I called it a day and I left. Some others have been not so lucky - I know of some pilots that made a minor or normal mistake(e.g. hard landing which only needed an inspection but no further mx action and they got axed. Or for not wearing that stupid hat. Comeon - that is a reason to fire someone? HOW could you possibly build a life or career on such a sandy base?). I decided that it is not safe to stick with them and returned to Europe. Simple choice that everyone needs to do for himself and his family. OR you decide to keep your eyes closed and continue to live in that (not real) golden cage. We all know people are different. Some are "wolves", others are happy as "sheeps" or even "goats":E .

So glad that I will NEVER see this place EVER again in my life.

Luibar 29th Jun 2019 16:36

There wasn't any improvement since 2006? :ooh:

Jack D 29th Jun 2019 22:22

One is dealing with a Low intelligence level
amongst the highly inbred local population .
Similarly a third rate group of expat managers will appear competent - they are not !
It doesnít matter .. rake the money and run


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.