Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates Application 2022

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates Application 2022

Old 5th Jul 2022, 15:19
  #141 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spongeboeing View Post
Your contract in aviation is always until your next medical. Always... everywhere.
If you have the feeling that your sim performance is such that you're always on the limit of failing then there's something wrong with you and if that low performance would save your job in a different company, then there's something wrong with that company.
Agree with this. Often the ones moaning the trainer is against them etc etc never blaming themselves have other issue's.

Honestly some people think once they got the job that’s it.

I think nimrodjoe, you need to leave aviation completely. A lot of negative posts from you.

AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2022, 16:18
  #142 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post

Honestly some people think once they got the job that’s it.

.

You have a lot to learn about EK and life in the Middle East my friend. Good luck
nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 5th Jul 2022, 17:55
  #143 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dubai
Age: 54
Posts: 270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
Agree with this. Often the ones moaning the trainer is against them etc etc never blaming themselves have other issue's.

Honestly some people think once they got the job that’s it.

I think nimrodjoe, you need to leave aviation completely. A lot of negative posts from you.
Spot on
Kennytheking is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 00:16
  #144 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai Hills
Age: 36
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
Agree with this. Often the ones moaning the trainer is against them etc etc never blaming themselves have other issue's.

Honestly some people think once they got the job that’s it.

I think nimrodjoe, you need to leave aviation completely. A lot of negative posts from you.
The last comment I find immature.
​​​​​Just make sure to leave the business as well when you are negative. I think we wouldn't have many pilots flying noeadays if we would listen to your advice.

When trainers have to think carefully what wording they use in a pamflet, something is wrong. When they are called up by the wasta manager and have to defend themselves...something is wrong. Choice to make..giving up the precious STAR or becoming a TRE. As most of us are mercenaries the choice has already been made.
​​​​​
And we all have heard of persons who were axed. And we say that these guys must have done something very wrong etc. Sometimes that is true. Many times it is not.

You have stay in survival mode. Denial plays an important role. The more time you spend here, the more aware you will become. That said...some of us are still in the running for 1st place in the World Championship Denial held at the HQ. I made it to the 4th round








Shazeem is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 09:16
  #145 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 146
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazeem View Post
The last comment I find immature.
​​​​​Just make sure to leave the business as well when you are negative. I think we wouldn't have many pilots flying noeadays if we would listen to your advice.

When trainers have to think carefully what wording they use in a pamflet, something is wrong. When they are called up by the wasta manager and have to defend themselves...something is wrong. Choice to make..giving up the precious STAR or becoming a TRE. As most of us are mercenaries the choice has already been made.
​​​​​
And we all have heard of persons who were axed. And we say that these guys must have done something very wrong etc. Sometimes that is true. Many times it is not.

You have stay in survival mode. Denial plays an important role. The more time you spend here, the more aware you will become. That said...some of us are still in the running for 1st place in the World Championship Denial held at the HQ. I made it to the 4th round
Well I did exactly that to get into aviation.

I had a career before, trained to be a pilot at the same time. After qualifying it took me 5 years to start flying. 3 of those years I just stayed in my previous career getting frustrated hating it everyday. The pay was ok and I was “comfortable”. A mate of mine at work said “look you have to leave completely or you will be a lifer here”. Took me another 6 months but yes I did that taking a job at an airport. Best decision I ever made. It was half the pay but I came alive, even though it wasn’t flying I loved it.
At my previous outfit I flew with people exactly like nimrod. They would moan so much, hating the company, hated flying, earlies, lates, management, passengers the whole lot. Company went under and all those that really hated it have moved on and retrained, driving instructor, signaller, own businesses (half a dozen done this), lecturers, fireman. When they found out I got back in the flight deck they said well done to me, most of them said they needed that push to get out of aviation. A brutal way for it to happen. The ones I have kept in touch with said they didn’t realise how unhappy they were until it was over. Some of them also were the ones saying the company is against them. Had a bad SIM score etc etc.

To me Nimrod and some others it might not be just EK and ME annoying you but a combination of everything. Many have the dream of flying but aviation is tough if you’re not enjoying it. I met a guy who was a Lufthansa cadet. He stayed the minimum time and left aviation completely. He loved the dream but hated the reality.

For me it’s not an EK dream but living in Dubai. We have friends there, some of them have lived there for 25 years!!! Not in aviation. My kids love going on holiday there, seeing our friends plus everything else. Yes living there is different, like I said we have friends there and for me my Mrs is from the ME, growing up in the area. My situation is different. They would have stayed but had to evacuate during Gulf 1.

Anyway completely off topic now.

AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:06
  #146 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Changes
Posts: 218
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazeem View Post
​​​
And we all have heard of persons who were axed. And we say that these guys must have done something very wrong etc. Sometimes that is true. Many times it is not.
It’s interesting to thus note that all of the ‘bad eggs’ must have been on the Boeing and the ‘good eggs’ on the Airbus. The vast majority, save for a few of the most junior FOs let go on the Boeing, were not rehired where as Airbus guys were rehired on mass.

I know it just must be a coincidence……just saying
Fired600 is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:36
  #147 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VarigMD11 View Post
I was told by senior HR people that this is non-negotiable unfortunately. Sad for those of us who haven't really flown since Covid hit.
If 150hr flying in the last 12 month is no negotiable for HR, than this is absolutely absurd statement from that manager as they are the bloody reason that some applicants did not fly in the past 2 years - if this is true as a statement from HR then it is the dummest thing ever came from an EK manager, but plausibel as far I know EK management
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 12:54
  #148 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Above the clouds
Age: 37
Posts: 143
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyTheBigFatLady View Post
If 150hr flying in the last 12 month is no negotiable for HR, than this is absolutely absurd statement from that manager as they are the bloody reason that some applicants did not fly in the past 2 years - if this is true as a statement from HR then it is the dummest thing ever came from an EK manager, but plausibel as far I know EK management
It doesn't affect pilots previously employed by EK. Only new hires as far as I am aware.
VarigMD11 is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 13:19
  #149 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 325
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazeem View Post
The last comment I find immature.
​​​​​Just make sure to leave the business as well when you are negative. I think we wouldn't have many pilots flying noeadays if we would listen to your advice.

When trainers have to think carefully what wording they use in a pamflet, something is wrong. When they are called up by the wasta manager and have to defend themselves...something is wrong. Choice to make..giving up the precious STAR or becoming a TRE. As most of us are mercenaries the choice has already been made.
​​​​​
And we all have heard of persons who were axed. And we say that these guys must have done something very wrong etc. Sometimes that is true. Many times it is not.

You have stay in survival mode. Denial plays an important role. The more time you spend here, the more aware you will become. That said...some of us are still in the running for 1st place in the World Championship Denial held at the HQ. I made it to the 4th round

All the guys I know and who were axed from the Triple had 1 major illness in their carreer. Some had cancer, some a broken leg etc, basically something that was certified by an EK doctor!
During covid, a few locals, we all know the names, decided that anyone in that health category had ‘abused’ the system and they used the covid void to bin all these guys in 1 go. Most were very very good guys….
Ask any of the guys who now has a new job if they would ever go back….Guarantee you it will be near zero if not zero!
Any how, good luck in the toxic sandpit. I’m over the moon I’m out. Stockholm syndrome as per usual. People only wake up once they’re out!
5star is offline  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 18:49
  #150 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennytheking View Post
Spot on
The problem is, you don’t really know about the culture and environment until you work in EK.

We have all heard the stories of say, the former A380 Captain who had cancer and was dismissed in COVID 19 and is now working in a supermarket , the many guys who’s family has left him alone in Dubai and moved back to their home country for whatever reason, the senior pilot who had a night in the sim which resulted in a further check with the pressure on and ultimately his deportation from the country. I often hear the argument that “this will never happen to me”. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are at flying , or how fit you think you are for the medical , you are an expat . You are not a local and you will be treated accordingly.

Emirates dismissed many pilots over COVID , including guys who had served for a number of decades. After they were told they would lose their lives , their homes , there kids lives , their kids schools , their wife’s lives , their incomes , their careers , the company didn’t even acknowledge this for 6 weeks. These were people who dedicated their lives to Ek refused the right to leave with dignity because of the implications of media attention should they acknowledge the redundancies.

It’s often argued by a small minority of egocentric individuals that this would “never happen to me” I’d suggest that some may actually get off a little bit when they can put themselves in a different bucket. The fact remains that all pilots who leave their home countries to be an expat and fly in Emirates are vulnerable . This is often reflected in performances inside the sim and on the line with decisions made in an environment of fear of implications to your career and families security.

It is certainly possible that a pilot who attended a medical and shown to have a low white blood cell count may be off for a few weeks of sickness and this would make them very unattractive to HR on a continued career in the carrier . Regardless of decades served and proficiency in the role , it’s done.

I don’t suggest that Emirates is bad career decision for every pilot but it’s important to know the stakes and the security in the job . The competitive salary comes with other costs . There will always be those selling the dream ,inspiring people with images of them driving down the marina in a new shiny Porsche or Tesla which I certainly wouldn’t advise as a good use of your money FWIW.

I am surprised to see new joiners moving to the UAE soon recently armed with the knowledge from strangers on here that the best place to live would be downtown or the marina. It seems strange to me that pilots who have already passed the assessment have knowledge exceeded by a quick google search and is a reminder of limited understanding of what they are getting involved in pre joining.

I wish those who join all the best and I am sure many will have an enjoyable time in the UAE.

nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 7th Jul 2022, 05:54
  #151 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai Hills
Age: 36
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nimrodjoe View Post
The problem is, you don’t really know about the culture and environment until you work in EK.

We have all heard the stories of say, the former A380 Captain who had cancer and was dismissed in COVID 19 and is now working in a supermarket , the many guys who’s family has left him alone in Dubai and moved back to their home country for whatever reason, the senior pilot who had a night in the sim which resulted in a further check with the pressure on and ultimately his deportation from the country. I often hear the argument that “this will never happen to me”. It doesn’t matter how good you think you are at flying , or how fit you think you are for the medical , you are an expat . You are not a local and you will be treated accordingly.

Emirates dismissed many pilots over COVID , including guys who had served for a number of decades. After they were told they would lose their lives , their homes , there kids lives , their kids schools , their wife’s lives , their incomes , their careers , the company didn’t even acknowledge this for 6 weeks. These were people who dedicated their lives to Ek refused the right to leave with dignity because of the implications of media attention should they acknowledge the redundancies.

It’s often argued by a small minority of egocentric individuals that this would “never happen to me” I’d suggest that some may actually get off a little bit when they can put themselves in a different bucket. The fact remains that all pilots who leave their home countries to be an expat and fly in Emirates are vulnerable . This is often reflected in performances inside the sim and on the line with decisions made in an environment of fear of implications to your career and families security.

It is certainly possible that a pilot who attended a medical and shown to have a low white blood cell count may be off for a few weeks of sickness and this would make them very unattractive to HR on a continued career in the carrier . Regardless of decades served and proficiency in the role , it’s done.

I don’t suggest that Emirates is bad career decision for every pilot but it’s important to know the stakes and the security in the job . The competitive salary comes with other costs . There will always be those selling the dream ,inspiring people with images of them driving down the marina in a new shiny Porsche or Tesla which I certainly wouldn’t advise as a good use of your money FWIW.

I am surprised to see new joiners moving to the UAE soon recently armed with the knowledge from strangers on here that the best place to live would be downtown or the marina. It seems strange to me that pilots who have already passed the assessment have knowledge exceeded by a quick google search and is a reminder of limited understanding of what they are getting involved in pre joining.

I wish those who join all the best and I am sure many will have an enjoyable time in the UAE.
I totally agree. Just some food for thought when you are working here. You will understand and get more insight why people behave in a certain way. And you can use it in your personal risk assessment and management.

That said, it would be good to focuss on the good things and try to avoid to get submerged into the fear culture. Know you will always be a guest and should behave accordingly. Also towards other guests.

Last edited by Shazeem; 7th Jul 2022 at 06:30.
Shazeem is offline  
Old 8th Jul 2022, 22:25
  #152 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 113
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree, but those who haven’t joined have a choice.

There isn’t many other major airlines where all their pilots have felt the requirement to ensure their “2nd” license is current for the foreseeable.


nimrodjoe is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2022, 08:11
  #153 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Back in the green
Posts: 1,131
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shazeem View Post
I totally agree. Just some food for thought when you are working here. You will understand and get more insight why people behave in a certain way. And you can use it in your personal risk assessment and management.

That said, it would be good to focuss on the good things and try to avoid to get submerged into the fear culture. Know you will always be a guest and should behave accordingly. Also towards other guests.
There are only two things to bare in mind when you accept to work in any of the middle east companies:
1) the T&Cs they don't even value the price of paper you will sign. They can/will change in one minute unilaterally.
2) you are /remain a Guest, needed mybe, but not liked
All the rest is xxxhit, personal risk assessment?
Please don't say xxxxxz, you will be the first to complain.
Ramones is offline  
Old 10th Jul 2022, 12:39
  #154 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Istanbul
Age: 39
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
disregard_

Last edited by numichem; 10th Jul 2022 at 12:56.
numichem is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 07:39
  #155 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 735
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
Excuse me but please enlighten me when it was exactly, that EK pilots “set the standards”. Such a load of arrogance horse maneur.
Go back twenty years ago. Plenty joining then gave up careers at reputable legacy airlines to come to EK.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 08:19
  #156 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brexland
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Royds View Post
Go back twenty years ago. Plenty joining then gave up careers at reputable legacy airlines to come to EK.
Which means it was the Legacy carriers who set the standards, and not EK pilots
Whitemonk Returns is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 09:18
  #157 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Royds View Post
Go back twenty years ago. Plenty joining then gave up careers at reputable legacy airlines to come to EK.
there might have been a few maybe. That is far from “setting the standards!”

Writing BS like that has only one purpose unfortunately, to make the writer feel better about himself and/or his decisions.

SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 10:15
  #158 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: here
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know what you get into

So, I’ve been here 10 plus years so that gives me an insight into the company and the country.

what I will say is that this thread is full of people who compare euro/us legacy carriers to the ME. DONT. IT IS NOT.

End of shouting!

could covid have been handled better, YES. But it could have been handled better everywhere. The ME did what it needed to to try and survive as it saw fit. It did not mirror what happened in Europe and had no need to. Whether it pays for it now remains to be seen. Comparing what EK or EY did to LH is pointless. It just makes the poster feel better.

should you come to the ME??? Well who knows? I have had 10plus years and made the most of it. It doesn’t mean it’s great but I know the pitfalls and the benefits. I know I do not have social security and union benefits and that if they really wanted they can terminate me. BUT I KNOW that. Why try and argue that there are no safeguards. I KNOW THERE ARE NONE. That’s what I signed up for. If I wanted that I would have stayed in Europe. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

when it comes to those made redundant thru covid. Could it have been better? Sure. But it’s their train set. It is what it is. We are permanently terminable. If you join, you accept that. You cannot put 1st world standards on this place. They are mercenary and commercial. It is about ensuring the survival of the business and country.

you join knowing your place and make the most of it. Do I want to earn peanuts in euroland working for a LCC with some supposed social rights. NO! I accept the place and in return I earn an OK salary without tax.

‘‘tis what it is’.
flyfast123 is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 13:52
  #159 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 152
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyfast123 View Post
So, I’ve been here 10 plus years so that gives me an insight into the company and the country.

what I will say is that this thread is full of people who compare euro/us legacy carriers to the ME. DONT. IT IS NOT.

End of shouting!

could covid have been handled better, YES. But it could have been handled better everywhere. The ME did what it needed to to try and survive as it saw fit. It did not mirror what happened in Europe and had no need to. Whether it pays for it now remains to be seen. Comparing what EK or EY did to LH is pointless. It just makes the poster feel better.

should you come to the ME??? Well who knows? I have had 10plus years and made the most of it. It doesn’t mean it’s great but I know the pitfalls and the benefits. I know I do not have social security and union benefits and that if they really wanted they can terminate me. BUT I KNOW that. Why try and argue that there are no safeguards. I KNOW THERE ARE NONE. That’s what I signed up for. If I wanted that I would have stayed in Europe. Stop comparing apples and oranges.

when it comes to those made redundant thru covid. Could it have been better? Sure. But it’s their train set. It is what it is. We are permanently terminable. If you join, you accept that. You cannot put 1st world standards on this place. They are mercenary and commercial. It is about ensuring the survival of the business and country.

you join knowing your place and make the most of it. Do I want to earn peanuts in euroland working for a LCC with some supposed social rights. NO! I accept the place and in return I earn an OK salary without tax.

‘‘tis what it is’.
word from someone who still has a job, an opportunity. A lot of the redundant and rejected ones have nothing. Due to the way EK handled Covid, have list everything. But that’s ok it does not effect the not effected ones.
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2022, 14:20
  #160 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dubai
Age: 54
Posts: 270
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyTheBigFatLady View Post
But that’s ok it does not effect the not effected ones.
Just because some of us were not affected does not mean we do not have an opinion.

As flyfast says, it is what it is. If EK does not meet your expectations then adjust your expectations because EK is not going to change to meet your expectations.
Kennytheking is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.