Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Other Aircrew Forums > Cabin Crew
Reload this Page >

Staff Passengers, Worst Nightmare

Wikiposts
Search
Cabin Crew Where professional flight attendants discuss matters that affect our jobs & lives.

Staff Passengers, Worst Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2005, 13:39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danger Staff Passengers, Worst Nightmare

My worst passengers of all time are Staff Passengers. Please don't misunderstand me, I don not paint everybody with the same brush as some staff pax are no trouble at all However, if pax are a problem they are generally always staff. The worst ever was a lady from BA personnel dept. She was upgraded with her husband (non BA staff) to Club World. As soon as they boarded the 'Lady' went straight into the galley and asked for hot tea for her and her husband. We had a full flight and the Purser politely advised that it wasn't possible to organise before take off. "You will make the Captain tea, why not us!" She demmanded. She did not get her tea. Consequently nothing was right from that moment on and I hadn't been advised of the danger lurking in Club World. The meal order had been taken by a fellow crew member and then I went out with the trolley. I correctly laid the tables infront of the staff pax and then held up a well presented plate of smoked duck and salad asking what starter they would each prefer. I can only describe the responce as like a kettle blowing its lid. "We said we didn't want a starter. What is the point....." I just couldn't believe it. I took the crap as I didn't know at that time they were staff pax. When I returned to the galley I explained to the purser that there were two unhappy pax and she asked; "Not the couple on the left?" I just couldn't believe they were staff pax misbehaving infront of full fare paying pax. The situation didn't improve. It got sdteadily worse. The purser wrote a four page report and the Captain had to come out of the cockpit to speak with the staff pax in the galley to give them a warning. The 'Lady' then verbally insulted the crew infront of the captain. The report was sent endorsed by the Captain and through the grapvine I heard that the lady lost her BA consessions for a year. What are your worst experiences?
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 14:03

If I abused my staff travel perks in that manner, I would probably find my P45 waiting for me when I got back! Failing that, the ideal solution would be to cancel their concessions while they are overseas... let them pay full fare to get home!
The worst offenders I know of (ie only the ones bad enough for the cabin crew to tell us about) have been family of staff; why they thought it acceptable to treat someone else's daughter in a way they would never treat their own escapes me.
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 14:14

PPRuNe Playmate of the Month

As soon as I started reading Turtle's post, I guessed the staff in question would be of the non-flying variety. I am quite happy just to sit there as unobtrusively as possible and certainly expect to take my place behind fare-paying passengers.
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 14:34

I once had to tell off, in front of everybody, a couple of BA cabin crew commuting on one of my flights.
They were laughing, chatting, almost screaming in their seats while I was doing the demo, making it impossible for people to hear it.
After being told off hey became angry at me and complained to the purser, who of course backed me up what an embarassement.....for them, they were wearing the uniform as well!!

This kind of behaviour is unecceptable if it is a "normal" passenger, imagine when it comes from somebody who SHOULD know better!!!

On the other hand I've seen some crew treating staff pax really bad for no reason. Once I flew LHR-MXP on staff concessions and the crew were really horrible to everybody. They didn't know I was a staff passenger and I witnessed a few disturbing things done to passengers. When finally someone read the PIL and realised I was BA staff myself I heard one of them saying: "Oh well, she won't complain she's lucky enough we bothered to give her something to drink!"
They had such an attitude problem I had only witnessed in my country's flag carrier before. They really made me ashamed of my own company.

FBW
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 14:50

My father was a long time engineer in BA. I remember he used to insist that us kids dressed in our smartest clothes anytime we travelled. We were forbidden to even mention the fact that he was a staff member. I beleive Turtles right anyone abusing such a concession should have it taken away.
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 19:31

I had a long haul Captain paxing on my flight the other day, he was extremely arrogant, wouldn't look at us when we were talking to him and seemed to act as if everything we did for him was wrong or second best. i must admit though, he wasn't directly rude.

My advice for staff travellers, shut up, stay seated, and don't be seen or heard.

Oz
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 19:43

Lady Lexxington

I have had concessions taken off a couple of staff, only one of whom was a none flying member of staff. Remember it's a privilege NOT a right!For any member of staff to put another member of staff in an akward or embarassing position is just not cricket.
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 20:48

I had a BA redcap from LGW a few weeks ago to BGI who insisted on food from First to be served to him in club!!! Arrogant as hell when he boarded so we knew he would be trouble, shame though cos the colleagues he was travelling with were absolute gents (and visibly embarassed)! When the purser was giving him his dressing down he tried to cover up by saying he didnt mean anything by it and that "I'm actually a really nice guy"!!!!
Old 4th Jun 2005, 22:15

I've got the best story about this...You just wouldn't believe it!

LHR-AMS, a long haul, mainline steward in uniform was commuting home in Club Europe...I think he'd just got in from CPT.

He fell asleep before take-off, but we offered him a meal, at which he put his hand up in our face, so we thought what an idiot and continued.

A little before 10 minutes to landing he woke up and demanded he got a meal and some coffee...We gave it to him, to which he replied "How do you make your coffee on short haul, because on long haul we stir ours" We ignored his comment.

Cabin crew, 10 minutes to landing...We go to collect his tray, and he refused to give it to us, so we check in the rest of the pax, then go back to him. He still wouldn't give it to us...In the end we had to grab it away from him when the landing gear went down.

On disembarking, he pushed his way to the front, blocked the exit with his bag and went to the flight deck, in front of all our full fare paying Club Europe pax, pointing at the captain and first officer he says "You and you, out here NOW!" to which the Captain got rather annoyed at and told him to remove his bag from the exit and speak AFTER the pax had got off.

After pax had gone, there was a heated discussion between the crew member and captain, then he turned to the purser pointing in his face saying "I'm not finished with you Mr, I will be writing a full report on this."

In the end the captain told him to get off his aircraft, so the crew memeber left, and to this day none of us know what we did to upset this nutcase!

The outcome was that the crew member was suspended and we all had to come in and speak to his PE about the incident. Not sure if he's back with us now or not...Hopefully not!!!!!!!
Old 5th Jun 2005, 11:23

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
To all the FAs who look after me when I am paxing somewhere for work, thank you.

I fly with BA and bmi the most often. I also fly with easyJet too (I live at Luton). Also, Swiss and Air Luxor occassionally.

You can't miss our uniform, it's the one with the distinctive purple tie.

The ground staff at LHR also deserve a thank you too.
Old 5th Jun 2005, 21:01

from a ground handling point of view
they are a night mare
only speak to us if they think being"nice" will get them a jumpseat
turn up late delay flights
"is there any chance on that other flight to london"(which leaves in 10 mins)
i aint talkin about all staff pax but there is a few who get my back up
at my place of work they even know each others DOJ priorities
etc
and query how did he get on before me
to which they get the standard "its a friend of the captain"
usually get reported
and dont become a problem for a while
Old 6th Jun 2005, 02:02

Im afraid I can only agree with the above stories.. I find alot of the time its always staff that give me the heeby jeebies..

Ive had eyes rolled at me when they have missed out on their choice, generally get lots of attitude and the best one lately was last week. 0600 service, paxing Tech Crew and door closed 4 mins late as we had to wait for him, he was a "must ride."

Considering This person was signing on, and not transiting from another flight I fail to understand this lack of responsibility. I get my butt kicked if I close the door more than 3mins late, including providing a written explanation, and had to make sure the delay code didnt get put down to "Cabin crew late to board" as it usually does.

Back to the post... Ive also had some really lovely staff on board. I was always told to Sit down, Shut up, dont ask for anything and never put your seat back, especially when in uniform. This doesnt seem to be the case anymore.
Old 6th Jun 2005, 07:36

It's so true isn't it. They really are the worst and always break the rules.

Had a ground staff employee of about 20 years on board, texting away, asked her to turn it off, she smiled stupidly like it was her first flight and said "oh I just thought you couldn't talk on it".

Another was a travel agent smoking in the toilet!

Never ceases to amaze me.

RaverFlaver
Old 6th Jun 2005, 09:20

No offence ozcabincrew - but the service reputation at QF probably encountered on frequent occasions by the QF long haul Capt, probably gave him preconceived ideas about QF service and that may have translated into arrogant behaviour. I was paxing the other day with other crew and after entrees we needed a knife and fork, the look of disgust when we asked for this was amazing (and yes we asked very politely) - the Capts comment to me was, I hope she didnt expect us to eat the mains with our fingers? .......

As to whether this QF captain on your flight was arrogant? - Probably (but then again, in the same way I have broadly and no doubt unfairly painted QF crew, you may have unfarly judged him)

The problam qith QF CC, is that you either get fantastic crew, who smile are chirpy and go out of their way, or you get some right at the other end of the spectrum........

(Dons flame proof suit)
Old 6th Jun 2005, 10:37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should know better... On christmas day just past, I had just completed my active duty (11hours by this point) and as a crew we were positioning to Norfolk for an overnight (another 2.5hrs of duty). The FNQ crew on the way back were having a nightmare of a time, as they were not used to doing a meal service, and 2 of the three had only been flying 1 week! The other one had been in the air 6months. Projectile vomit went over 5 rows, and in the end, 2 of us from the previous crew ended up clearing, cleaning up the vomit, and looking after the back of the aircraft. On finals, the excitement of christmas day and our overnight was just a little too much, and our rendition of 'I will survive' may have been a little bit offputing to the pax around us - completely innocent, but maybe just the wrong choice of song and perhaps a little bit off tune/loud...

I had a manager on once, on a CBR overnight he slipped into conversation that the cabin crew (on their glorious $24 grand a year or the casuals on as low as $5 an hour) were paid more than what they are worth. Charming guy, really made us want to give a shyte about him the next day. He had the nerve the next day to complain that the business class cutlery (we were doing a full business class service for 60 on a 1 and a bit hour flight with min crew) had the ansett logo on it.
Then while securing the cabin he started dressing down one of the girls, because the blankets had the ansett logo on them.

I had enough, i strolled on down, and basically told him that I would not have him interfere with the safety duties of the crew, and that if he has such a problem with the blankets and cutlery, than he should perhaps be looking into it himself...

The best can be travel agents, the worst can be travel agents... However, my worst experiences involve the 'Tour group leader', who takes it on as their personal challenge to be seen haggling every aspect of the service, seating arrangements etc. Some even tried to help with the service, and one insisted over me that I did have the authority to relocate pax before takeoff without approval from the captain... After she got quite offstandish and rude, I politely put her in her place, and virtually had to tell her that if she didnt sit down she would have to get off, as her standing was delaying the flight.
Old 6th Jun 2005, 12:50

Blueloo,

You're completely correct, i find that aswell, you either get a crew which is fantastic or a crew who just can't get their act into gear and are terrible, that is with any airline, not just with QF. However, whatever the case, this CAPT was on "duty travel", no one was rude to him, the service was good by all crew and as per procedure, no dirty looks or snide remarks, he was just arrogant and for no reason, fair enough it could've been his personality i don't know, but there is no excuse to be like that to anyone. If he had a problem with the way the service was done etc, he was more than welcome to speak to the CSM later on.

At the end of the day, there is no reason to be rude, arrogant etc etc to anyone, especially on work time, there is always ways around it.

Oz
Old 7th Jun 2005, 14:13

A very sensitive issue for both staff travelling as non-rev as well as for cabin crew.

I am now non-flying, working for a UK based airline and have also worked for BA on the ground for some years in the past. I have always adhered to

1) the rules for staff/duty travel which dictates your conduct on board, e.g. order of service (eg. if your first meal/wine choice isn't available etc......), not disclosing to other pax that you are staff etc etc

2) common sense. I always treat others as I would like to be treated. So why oh why I have to be treated differently because I happen to work for the same company as the crew is beyond me. Conversely, why oh why would I treat the crew with disrespect just because I work for the same company?

Apart from the obvious point 1) above I have never understood why the service experienced by staff or duty travellers should be any different on board, I have even heard fare paying pax commenting on the fact that they have noticed how much better or worse they have seen staff being treated as well as how they have noticed how staff travellers have been behaving less than professionally on board.

I have been treated like scum in First Class on BA (my wife was in tears at the end of the journey by the rudeness of the purser - but we still just smiled and made no comments to offend), and I have been treated like a king in Economy - but I would really prefer to just be treated like all the other pax in a courteous and professional manner. No special favours or snide remarks just standard service 'by the book'.

I will always make sure that crew are treated with the utmost respect they deserve and I would hope they will treat me in the same manner when ever I have to fly on duty or on staff travel.
Old 10th Jun 2005, 11:11
EAAFA

I'm so glad I'm not alone in noticing that in most cases the worst staff travel pax are actually the relatives of staff, not the staff themselves.

What has happened to good manners? It's a pity that the relatives can't be barred from staff travel benefits in cases where the staff themselves are polite, but their husbands/wives are horrible.

Old 11th Jun 2005, 23:45

I just get onboard, sit down and shut up and even feel embarrased to go ask for a drink in the galley on l/haul flights.

Only thing I'm a bit cheeky with is the queueing in the airport. I'll always try and blag my way to check-in/list at the C/F desk to avoid queueing in the Y queue where there is no seperate stby desk, but I'm never rude when I ask and I will not ask if it is busy at those desks and if they say no, then I'd thank them anyway and i'd go off the the Y queue - although never had to yet.

Old 11th Jun 2005, 23:58
Couldonlyaffordafiver

Staff Travel is a perk of the job. The ONLY reason for it is to get a spare seat on an aeroplane assuming it isn't full of people who have paid full fare. If you are lucky enough to get anything beyond Economy (or WT if you prefer ), fantastic but you have to remember that you paid £50 for this seat rather than £5000. Therefore, wind your neck in and accept that you rank somewhat lower in the pecking order than the Black Card holder in 1A. If I'm on an ID90, my main interest is getting on the flight. Which seat I'm in ranks somewhat lower. If I want to guarantee Club or beyond, I'll pay for it like everyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.