Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas...Post COVID

Old 6th May 2021, 06:23
  #161 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: All over the Planet
Posts: 840
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Joyce will be able to award himself another massive bonus - corruption at its best.
The last time I looked, the Board sets the remuneration package of the CEO. While AJ is a member of that Board, I’m sure he recuses himself from all remuneration deliberations that affect him.
Ken Borough is offline  
Old 6th May 2021, 20:39
  #162 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 34
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Borough View Post
Iím sure he recuses himself from all remuneration deliberations that affect him.
I spat my coffee all over my keyboard when I read that
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 7th May 2021, 09:26
  #163 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Wherever I can log on.
Posts: 1,846
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My understanding is that if any Board Member tries to dig too deeply into the plans that Joyce has made, he spits the dummy and leaves the meeting.

They’re all walking on eggshells trying not to upset the petulant child.
Going Boeing is online now  
Old 7th May 2021, 11:10
  #164 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: australia
Posts: 908
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Going Boeing View Post
My understanding is that if any Board Member tries to dig too deeply into the plans that Joyce has made, he spits the dummy and leaves the meeting.

Theyíre all walking on eggshells trying not to upset the petulant child.
Strange - and willing to be corrected - thought the board appointed the CEO and the CEO reported to the board, the board being the greater entity.

At least the previous VA board got the balance right with Borghetti!
galdian is offline  
Old 7th May 2021, 13:32
  #165 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 655
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by galdian View Post
Strange - and willing to be corrected - thought the board appointed the CEO and the CEO reported to the board, the board being the greater entity.

At least the previous VA board got the balance right with Borghetti!
You would be right if Qantas and it's board functioned like it should! Plenty of high profile scandals in the last 30 years of dysfunctional corporate boards showing poor or non existent governance.

I'm not saying this is the case at Qantas, but once AJ is gone don't be surprised by anything he has done.
Climb150 is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 21:44
  #166 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 899
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SM will announce international borders to remain closed indefinitely article in this mornings rag, appetite for zero cases has won! why are we bothering to vaccinate, may as well send our supplies to countries that want to get on with living.

Also, how does this affect QF and JQ international crews moving forward? this must be a massive drain on their books with a close on the market of $4.770, this could plummet now. AJ and Co. will be crunching some numbers I'm sure. Could this be the start of a new I.R battle could QF decide to dissolve international part of the business and then make plans to bring it back when Australia decides to open up, with lesser conditions of course!

Morrison sees no urgency in opening international borders

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he sees “no appetite’’among Australians yet for opening the nation’s international borders, and he believes there is not enough evidence yet on the reliability of vaccines.

“I don’t see an appetite for that at the moment,’’ Mr Morrison has told The Daily Telegraph in a wide-ranging interview.

“I think what we are seeing at the moment is the appreciation of the people that the pandemic isn’t going anywhere.’’

The Prime Minister said: “all I know is once you let it [COVID-19] back in again, you cannot get it out. You’ve crossed that threshold.’’

The US and Europe “have been riddled with the pandemic and they can’t turn that back.

“We continue to roll out the vaccination program, over the course of this year, and in the meantime, I intend to be cautious, it’s in my nature.’’
Prime Minister Scott Morrison. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Bianca De MarchiMr Morrison also says there is not yet “considerable clinical evidence that tells us transmission is preventable’’ after vaccination always and “I think Australians want to ensure that the way we’re living at the moment is maintained’’.

The Prime Minister also says retail spending is high because Australians used to spend more money overseas than tourists spent in Australia.
SHVC is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 22:59
  #167 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Somewhere on the Australian Coast
Posts: 1,034
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sigh....what a small, frightened, insular, parochial nation weíve been revealed to be.

PM doesnít trust the science of vaccines and all of a sudden the conservative side of politics is willing to sacrifice personal freedom on the altar of electoral convenience because they canít reframe the messaging around the risk of a vaccinated population.

Heís also been backed into a corner by the embarrassing backlash and subsequent backflip on arrivals from India.

Retail spending is high? Sure, on products designed and manufactured overseas. Gerry Harvey is making a few bucks but the rest of the money disappears overseas. Services sector (particularly education/ tourism) still devastated.

The PM is a follower, not a leader, and has been thoroughly outthought and outmanoeuvred by the supposed dullards in the room in the state leaders, leaving him with no alternative except to keep the country indefinitely closed off from the rest of the world.

I wouldnít have believed it possible even four months ago when the vaccine rollout started.
DirectAnywhere is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 23:17
  #168 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectAnywhere View Post
Sigh....what a small, frightened, insular, parochial nation weíve been revealed to be.

PM doesnít trust the science of vaccines and all of a sudden the conservative side of politics is willing to sacrifice personal freedom on the altar of electoral convenience because they canít reframe the messaging around the risk of a vaccinated population.

Heís also been backed into a corner by the embarrassing backlash and subsequent backflip on arrivals from India.

Retail spending is high? Sure, on products designed and manufactured overseas. Gerry Harvey is making a few bucks but the rest of the money disappears overseas. Services sector (particularly education/ tourism) still devastated.

The PM is a follower, not a leader, and has been thoroughly outthought and outmanoeuvred by the supposed dullards in the room in the state leaders, leaving him with no alternative except to keep the country indefinitely closed off from the rest of the world.

I wouldnít have believed it possible even four months ago when the vaccine rollout started.
Total spending in Australia is higher than it would be with open borders, not just retail spending. The only industries truly suffering are international airlines and the travel agencies and airlines have the benefit of stand down and government handouts so theyíre doing better than their international competitors. The vast majority of other industries have adapted and are having a great time. Those that were unable to adapt have already failed.

What would be a disaster is if Covid got into our society now. Surely you can see that.
Tucknroll is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 23:28
  #169 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Somewhere on the Australian Coast
Posts: 1,034
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure. Right now? Yup. I get it.

Once the population is vaccinated? Nup. With this interview the PM has basically jumped on the zero cases bandwagon.

COVID is not the same as the flu. I wonít try and argue that it is, but the comparison that once vaccinated we can keep deaths probably in the hundreds per year amongst vulnerable populations, similar to the flu, is a valid argument. Health economists make these calculations and judgements daily when considering how many doctors, hospitals and ICU beds we have. The public donít realise that bureaucrats already make decisions about balancing the level of financial and health risk the population is willing to accept in dealing with conditions endemic to the population. The PM is just not willing to publicly acknowledge this and sell the message.

Heís made a mess of two significant areas of national responsibility - quarantine and vaccine rollout. This is a capitulation from the PM, plain and simple. He looks like a man without a plan and is vulnerable to further attacks.
DirectAnywhere is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 23:48
  #170 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NT
Posts: 201
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/israel/




pretty good evidence there that itís greatly reducing transmission there Scotty boy.
how about we ask your overlord in the Biden administration? His CDC would disagree it seems:


https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...ead-virus.html


https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/api....on-of-covid-19


grabted theyíre all using Phizer, are you simply covering up your own ineptitude Scotty??
chookcooker is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 23:49
  #171 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Australia
Posts: 83
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectAnywhere View Post
Sure. Right now? Yup. I get it.

Once the population is vaccinated? Nup. With this interview the PM has basically jumped on the zero cases bandwagon.

COVID is not the same as the flu. I wonít try and argue that it is, but the comparison that once vaccinated we can keep deaths probably in the hundreds per year amongst vulnerable populations, similar to the flu, is a valid argument. Health economists make these calculations and judgements daily when considering how many doctors, hospitals and ICU beds we have. The public donít realise that bureaucrats already make decisions about balancing the level of financial and health risk the population is willing to accept in dealing with conditions endemic to the population. The PM is just not willing to publicly acknowledge this and sell the message.

Heís made a mess of two significant areas of national responsibility - quarantine and vaccine rollout. This is a capitulation from the PM, plain and simple. He looks like a man without a plan and is vulnerable to further attacks.
If he changed the plan he would be acting against what 95% of the population want. Why change the plan when virtually everyone is happy with how it is going?

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/public...covidpoll-2021
Tucknroll is offline  
Old 8th May 2021, 23:52
  #172 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 252
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
A worrying time for LH crew.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 00:13
  #173 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: The great country of QLD
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucknroll View Post
If he changed the plan he would be acting against what 95% of the population want. Why change the plan when virtually everyone is happy with how it is going?
From the report:

Almost all Australian adults (95%) say that Australia has handled COVID-19 well, with a 22-point jump in those saying Australia has handled COVID-19 Ďvery wellí

Australians who have been vaccinated should be free to leave 40%
All Australians should be free to leave 18%


Looks like the majority (58%) follow common sense. Dial back the fearmongering.


Cirressna is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 00:31
  #174 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 539
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tucknroll View Post
If he changed the plan he would be acting against what 95% of the population want. Why change the plan when virtually everyone is happy with how it is going?
Because it is costing the economy billions of dollars a year and the Liberal party are supposed to be the good economic managers.

It has been estimated that the closed international border is costing the country 8 billion dollars a month! It is not just international airlines suffering, one of the biggest industries in Australia by value is education. NSW will lose $14 billion a year by missing out on international students.

While lives are at risk, by all means keep the borders shut, but once vaccines take away that risk then there is no excuse for destroying the economy and peopleís livelihoods.
Beer Baron is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 00:34
  #175 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not at work
Posts: 1,526
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ahh Scotty you bogan dimwit! The vaccine was never intended to stop transmission, it was hoped that it may play a part in reducing it. But the overall aim of the vaccine is stop people dying! Who cares if we have 1000 new cases every day if people arenít getting seriously sick or dying. Thereís a reason the vaccine is being rolled out to the vulnerable first.

Long term, his zero COVID goal is about as achievable as his beloved Sharkies making the finals this year. Thanks for ruining my career for a bit longer old mate...you moron.
Transition Layer is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 00:43
  #176 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 252
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Iím sure it wonít be long until a proper legal challenge is mounted. Keeping families apart, especially from lower risk countries AND if you and your family are vaccinated must be against some kind of law. We are becoming a first world North Korea, or worse, a China. This is not a dictatorship despite what Scotty and some premiers would like you to believe.

however, where does it go for international crew from here? What ramifications would there be for a complete are almost complete wiping out of the LH part of the airline? Very worrying times.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 01:16
  #177 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudsurfng View Post
Iím sure it wonít be long until a proper legal challenge is mounted. Keeping families apart, especially from lower risk countries AND if you and your family are vaccinated must be against some kind of law. We are becoming a first world North Korea, or worse, a China. This is not a dictatorship despite what Scotty and some premiers would like you to believe.

however, where does it go for international crew from here? What ramifications would there be for a complete are almost complete wiping out of the LH part of the airline? Very worrying times.
I honestly think it'll just be status quo for LH crew as before, wait around on no pay. The headlines are sensationalised and it's all politics at the moment (threaten fines and jail time for own returning citizens ... not so good PR). The Northern summer coming up would be a good indication on allowing international movements, even with the slow rollout of the vaccine and low risk appetites in Australia, if the data shows that cases don't explode to cause mass amount of deaths and overwhelming hospitals, then the federal government would continue with their bubble concepts and gradually open up from next year to selected countries.

Fortunately or unfortunately based on someone's point of view, the stand down clause has somewhat allowed CR to really be used as a last resort. So as I said in the beginning, it'd just remain status quo for LH crew.
thec172man is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 01:29
  #178 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Posts: 1,581
Received 50 Likes on 21 Posts
Itís pretty clear (well most LH Iíve spoken to can see the reality) that International full blown reopening wonít occur until 24. 2023 we test the waters. Alan has been leading the media on a bit, his balance sheet is quite ugly so probably warranted.

We will still be cycling major outbreaks and the unknown for the next 12 months.

Will need to be some consolidation on the Domestic front. Iíve seen a drop off in loads in the last few weeks, they will need to move away from just trying to fill seats with over capacity to actually making some cash, if that half of the business is dead for the medium term.



PoppaJo is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 03:57
  #179 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad international students are being kept out. They are a main reason wages haven’t increased for 20 years. Endless supply of graduates who are tied to their employer due to visa requirements. They are also a major source of immigration which is destroying Sydney and Melbourne. The university sector isn’t educating them as much as simply selling citizenship via university courses. Which they seem to be able to acquire, up to masters level without even having basic functional English. Yes I have had to take over work for such a person in addition to what I already had to do because they couldn’t write English. Incredible given assignments and exams are in English. Oh, but assignments are all group, ensuring at least one local is included who ends up doing all the work. As for exams, can’t fail them or else they might complain and the university would get a bad reputation amongst international students and they would go elsewhere, ending the rivers of gold. So to hell with the ‘education’ aka citizenship selling sector. The Australian economy needs to grow up. If all we do is dig shit out of the ground, sell citizenship and build crappy dog box apartment blocks to house them then we are doomed anyway.

rant over.
Foxxster is offline  
Old 9th May 2021, 04:25
  #180 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 755
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beautiful_butterfly View Post
How can pilots remain stood down while Qantas adds more seats through Alliance?

Surely that means there is useful work to be done? Work which should and could be done by stood down pilots who are receiving government financial support?
No useful work for the aircraft they fly.

same reason LH are stood down while QLink are interviewing for externals
Going Nowhere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.