PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas...Post COVID
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2021, 21:44
SHVC

Received 94 Likes on 45 Posts
SM will announce international borders to remain closed indefinitely article in this mornings rag, appetite for zero cases has won! why are we bothering to vaccinate, may as well send our supplies to countries that want to get on with living.

Also, how does this affect QF and JQ international crews moving forward? this must be a massive drain on their books with a close on the market of $4.770, this could plummet now. AJ and Co. will be crunching some numbers I'm sure. Could this be the start of a new I.R battle could QF decide to dissolve international part of the business and then make plans to bring it back when Australia decides to open up, with lesser conditions of course!

Morrison sees no urgency in opening international borders

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he sees “no appetite’’among Australians yet for opening the nation’s international borders, and he believes there is not enough evidence yet on the reliability of vaccines.

“I don’t see an appetite for that at the moment,’’ Mr Morrison has told The Daily Telegraph in a wide-ranging interview.

“I think what we are seeing at the moment is the appreciation of the people that the pandemic isn’t going anywhere.’’

The Prime Minister said: “all I know is once you let it [COVID-19] back in again, you cannot get it out. You’ve crossed that threshold.’’

The US and Europe “have been riddled with the pandemic and they can’t turn that back.

“We continue to roll out the vaccination program, over the course of this year, and in the meantime, I intend to be cautious, it’s in my nature.’’
Prime Minister Scott Morrison. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Bianca De MarchiMr Morrison also says there is not yet “considerable clinical evidence that tells us transmission is preventable’’ after vaccination always and “I think Australians want to ensure that the way we’re living at the moment is maintained’’.

The Prime Minister also says retail spending is high because Australians used to spend more money overseas than tourists spent in Australia.