Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:05
  #7261 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 297
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Case numbers should not be the focus. About time these f&$kwits stopped with daily press conferences. They are drunk on the power and control. Itís hospitalisations etc that matter.

that said, at least it seems to be scaring the Ďhesitantí into getting jabbed.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:08
  #7262 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 630
Received 109 Likes on 40 Posts
Gold standard
Ladloy is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:08
  #7263 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,099
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Cairns has year round UV and a population that generally does the right thing. Whatever the perceptions of the FNQ population they wear masks when told to, scan in to places and stay home if they are sick.

Itís not the rules that are at issue in NSW, itís the willingness of the the population to comply. Victoria leaned the hard way last year that you may think youíre the epicentre of the known world, but you still have to follow the rules. NSW are still learningÖ
The 17% of "don't give a **** people" are in every state, that's why we can't have a half arsed lockdown, They wont do it if the people across the road are not locked down as well.
NSW problem is that with the greatest population comes the greatest number of them in that 17%.demographics will also play a role.

Someone mentioned 1st world medical response. If the case numbers rise to anywhere near 100 per day requiring ICU care, don't expect much more than sitting on a plastic chair strapped to an oxygen bottle.


Xeptu is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:09
  #7264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Sydney
Posts: 630
Received 109 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by cloudsurfng
Case numbers should not be the focus. About time these f&$kwits stopped with daily press conferences. They are drunk on the power and control. Itís hospitalisations etc that matter.

that said, at least it seems to be scaring the Ďhesitantí into getting jabbed.
Case rates can't be ignored until we reach a decent level of vaccination
Ladloy is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:11
  #7265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,726
Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts
It’s hospitalisations etc that matter.
Hospitalisations is a lagging factor, by the time you get one, 100 will be infected, by the time 20 of those are hospitalised, 1000 will be infected. Even case numbers require the virus to be circulating for about 2 weeks before you will have enough virus in your system to test "positive".

Deaths are the same, some don't pass away for several weeks after contracting the virus. So death rate today is roughly for case numbers 1-2 weeks ago, as are hospitalisations, and case numbers are for people infected up to 2 weeks before.

This is not some computer game where you have real time data, everything has already happened and will happen, the government is playing catch-up with the numbers. This was always why contact tracing within the community was going to fail in the long run. Prevention requires breaking the numbers before they occur, not chasing your tail for where it has been.
43Inches is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:21
  #7266 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,860
Received 120 Likes on 40 Posts
NSW is gone for months. There is no hope of getting in under control in the short term. Gold standard.
SOPS is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 03:26
  #7267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What purpose is there in a press conference everyday announcing case numbers? We will never get back to zero - forget it. So what the point of announcing case numbers?

Present the plan on the way out and how and when kids are going to get back to school. Probably only need one press conference a week.

oh thatís right itís called Covid theatre.
lineupandwait is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 04:19
  #7268 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,099
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lineupandwait
What purpose is there in a press conference everyday announcing case numbers? We will never get back to zero - forget it. So what the point of announcing case numbers?

Present the plan on the way out and how and when kids are going to get back to school. Probably only need one press conference a week.

oh thatís right itís called Covid theatre.
If you're parked at home, locked down, not in the effected zone, then there probably isn't a need to know and it would get understandably tedious.
For those in the front line, essential services, do need that information in order to plan response needs and requirements. If it was only a need to know basis then the public would complain about that and draw all sorts of conclusions.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 04:19
  #7269 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eden Valley
Posts: 2,129
Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS
NSW is gone for months. There is no hope of getting in under control in the short term. Gold standard.
Conversely, how will the other States learn to live with COVID with elections in 2022? Elimination strategies can not last forever. Many Premiers keep using military jargon, the battle with COVID, we are on a war footing to eliminate blah blah blah. Well it's actually time some of us died for our country so we don't bankrupt our children' futures. A PLA naval task force couldn't do the economic damage misguided COVID policy has achieved. Enough is enough.
Gnadenburg is online now  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 04:25
  #7270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,099
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
Conversely, how will the other States learn to live with COVID with elections in 2022? Elimination strategies can not last forever. Many Premiers keep using military jargon, the battle with COVID, we are on a war footing to eliminate blah blah blah. Well it's actually time some of us died for our country so we don't bankrupt our children' futures. A PLA naval task force couldn't do the economic damage misguided COVID policy has achieved. Enough is enough.
It's good to see that there are some among us willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for our country and fellow aussies. Do we have a job for you, we certainly do. Good on you.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 04:30
  #7271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Aus
Posts: 2,726
Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts
Conversely, how will the other States learn to live with COVID with elections in 2022? Elimination strategies can not last forever. Many Premiers keep using military jargon, the battle with COVID, we are on a war footing to eliminate blah blah blah. Well it's actually time some of us died for our country so we don't bankrupt our children' futures. A PLA naval task force couldn't do the economic damage misguided COVID policy has achieved. Enough is enough.
Unfortunately the rest of the world has something to say about that, and if we actually did go gung ho just make money out of this over life, we would shoot ahead of the world and inflation would bite our arse back to 1989. But most likely we would be no better off with a lot more dead people. Fact is the rest of the world is in the same economic position we are, and most of them are ravaged by covid deaths on top of that. So what evidence is there that letting it rip will make us any better off?, none at all. All that would happen is that covid would kill more and we would be worse off again. The USA has proved this, mostly open, a lot died and its cost them over double per person than what it has cost Australia. USA still has 30% of its small business closed or in hibernation from 2019 numbers. We only had business closed during lockdowns. From how USA and the UK coffers look, dealing with an actual pandemic has cost them 2-4 times more than us hiding from it.
43Inches is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 05:17
  #7272 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eden Valley
Posts: 2,129
Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
It's good to see that there are some among us willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for our country and fellow aussies. Do we have a job for you, we certainly do. Good on you.

I've struggled to follow the meanings of your posts. Some of our States have an economically unsustainable, though political acceptable, policy of Elimination. Yours has always been a policy of Fear.

Australia has the means to come out of this pandemic yet many seem to lack the will. It's too cosy for many not affected.
Gnadenburg is online now  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 05:27
  #7273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Doomadgee
Posts: 274
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
43Inches - what a lot of bollocks.

The USA owes its death rate to ignoring the virus under trump. Since the vaccinations came online and Biden, the US are way ahead wrt to vaccination rates. The US is fully open. You DO NOT need a vaccination passport or even to be vaccinated to enter the US.

Studies are showing that Delta is infecting even vaccinated people. Lockdowns will not stop the infections. Excess deaths are the only metric that governments should be reporting. Gladys talking about people in there 90s dying of Covid is pointless. She even reported of a person in his 90s dying - Fully Vaccinated. Today she announced some poor person dying from Covid - oh but he was in palliative care .....

The Australian public is fed fear. End these bloody lockdowns. THE VIRUS IS HERE and we need to live with it. if you are scared of catching it, don't mix with the public.

Capn Rex Havoc is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 05:50
  #7274 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 51
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeptu
If you're parked at home, locked down, not in the effected zone, then there probably isn't a need to know and it would get understandably tedious.
For those in the front line, essential services, do need that information in order to plan response needs and requirements. If it was only a need to know basis then the public would complain about that and draw all sorts of conclusions.
Maybe just check the internet for the latest restrictions???

Covid theatre...
lineupandwait is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 05:56
  #7275 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,860
Received 120 Likes on 40 Posts
And Ö there goes all of NSW into lockdown for at least a week. Gladys had just been quoted as sayingÖ All of Australia is now under threat.


Gold Standard.
SOPS is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 05:56
  #7276 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Age: 68
Posts: 1,913
Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Angle of Attack
Iím no expert but it will peak when things get really serious , hospitals become over capacity and deaths spike massively.
Probably 3-4000 cases a day is my guess.
Well it appears things have potentially deteriorated further within the last 24hrs.

Statewide shutdown from 5pm.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 06:00
  #7277 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Eden Valley
Posts: 2,129
Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
So what evidence is there that letting it rip will make us any better off?, none at all. All that would happen is that covid would kill more and we would be worse off again.
I don't follow your economic modelling. However, I did not say let it rip. I believe the politics of COVID elimination will be devastating by next year. Eventually some of us will have to die. Hopefully, vaccinations protect most. But this path is not sustainable, not for the economy, not for social cohesion, not for dealing with emerging security threats.
Gnadenburg is online now  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 06:46
  #7278 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,099
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
I don't follow your economic modelling. However, I did not say let it rip. I believe the politics of COVID elimination will be devastating by next year. Eventually some of us will have to die. Hopefully, vaccinations protect most. But this path is not sustainable, not for the economy, not for social cohesion, not for dealing with emerging security threats.
I don't think anyone will disagree with that, however the whole world is in the same boat, are we not better off learning from other countries first before taking risks that are not recoverable.
Xeptu is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 06:55
  #7279 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 71
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I may have said this before but it needs saying again

The world will NEVER EVER be what it was pre Covid.

If you can't accept that then I am sorry for you.
Chris2303 is offline  
Old 14th Aug 2021, 07:06
  #7280 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 1998
Location: The Swan Downunder
Posts: 1,099
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnadenburg
I've struggled to follow the meanings of your posts. Some of our States have an economically unsustainable, though political acceptable, policy of Elimination. Yours has always been a policy of Fear.

Australia has the means to come out of this pandemic yet many seem to lack the will. It's too cosy for many not affected.
Have you been infected personally, are you a long covid sufferer, if the answers to that question is no, then go and get yourself infected, preferably while helping those that are.
Then come back and have this conversation, we'll see if you still follow the same line of learn to live with it, no matter what.
Xeptu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.