Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

All borders to reopen.

Old 30th May 2021, 11:35
  #4961 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 628
Originally Posted by Tucknroll View Post
Sure, but I think that is implied within the question as governments set policy.
Implying is the realm of marketing.

If you want a survey on government policy, then you need to include questions on government policy.
ruprecht is offline  
Old 30th May 2021, 11:51
  #4962 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Somewhere
Posts: 295
What’s the deficit looking like? Keynesian economics fit for a crisis but is it sustainable and for how long. Massive tax breaks, infrastructure spending, low interest rates and eye watering private debt pumping a housing bubble is not a long term proposition.

Still didn’t answer the question. Do you want borders closed or not? Status quo or a gradual opening up similar to what’s happening with NZ? What will it be?

You have a vested interest like myself to get back to work. No one is advocating for rash changes since we are so far behind the UK and the USA we can watch and learn. After all we played COVID well for the first half of the game, and then convinced ourselves that we were the winners with the second half yet to be played. The USA and the UK played a woeful first half, no question, but the second half is on script. Pollies have always said that borders will open gradually from the get go, so why the opposition?

Where and when is the end point?
Troo believer is offline  
Old 30th May 2021, 14:46
  #4963 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 35
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by Tucknroll View Post
Economic suicide? The figures just aren’t showing that. Look at my original post, we have had the two largest quarters of economic growth in the last 30 years. Our economy is the envy of the OECD.
The “figures” are showing the effect of the massive sugar hit provided by the government stimulus plus super release plus 6 months of accumulated savings (for those still working).

In the medium term all this goes away.

Just about the only reason GDP has grown since 2008 is the high immigration rate we’ve had. Closed borders mean the population is expected to decline over the next 12-24 months. Once that stimulus runs out, watch the economy stagnate.
aviation_enthus is offline  
Old 30th May 2021, 15:05
  #4964 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 35
Posts: 258
Originally Posted by Tucknroll View Post
The federal government has a strong mandate for continuing with the current policy. This Lowy poll from earlier this month shows a 95% approval rating for how the government has handled Covid. This poll was conducted after the rollout was delayed and widely reported as ‘bungled.’ I think even with the current Melbourne lockdown, you’ll find overwhelming support for the government’s handling of Covid. Virtually no one wants open borders.

Most of the people here are just shouting into the wind.
If you actually listened to the “people shouting in the wind” you’d probably notice a lot of them are frustrated with the apparent lack of plan from the Feds on when things will reopen.

Comments from the PM like:

”it’s not a race”

”borders MAY reopen in 2023”

Does not fill anyone with hope they have any f****** idea what comes next.

Australians are happy with the “way things have been handled” because they haven’t experienced any alternative. Plus the outside world has basically been presented as the zombie apocalypse. But is the border opening dependent on an opinion poll or the various levels of governments doing their job and LEADING the country forward?

The ONLY way forward is to vaccinate as many people as possible as FAST as possible. Nothing else offers any protection. We’ve had 17 different outbreaks from HQ and this will continue on until eternity with the current border restrictions. Closing the border is not a sustainable medium term option, vaccination is the only way out of this mess.

GET ON WITH IT!!
aviation_enthus is offline  
Old 30th May 2021, 20:38
  #4965 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 590
Good news is Victoria can’t keep up with vaccinations they’re turning ppl away. Now we just need outbreaks in the other states and territories to get a kick up the a$$.

Also, could someone tell me what this J.Weimar fellow is actually supposed to be doing? Doesn’t seem a lot.

SHVC is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 00:05
  #4966 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by SHVC View Post
Good news is Victoria can’t keep up with vaccinations they’re turning ppl away. Now we just need outbreaks in the other states and territories to get a kick up the a$$.

Also, could someone tell me what this J.Weimar fellow is actually supposed to be doing? Doesn’t seem a lot.

People just need a little motivation sometimes!
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 00:39
  #4967 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 69
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by ScepticalOptomist View Post
People just need a little motivation sometimes!
That's what he said.
WingNut60 is online now  
Old 31st May 2021, 01:01
  #4968 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: East of Westralia
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
That's what he said.
And I agreed with him. :-)
ScepticalOptomist is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 01:50
  #4969 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 590
Victorians being keen as to get jabbed now. Theoretically speaking, if all of Vic residents get the jab and the other states and territories are still fluffing in the wind. that would mean we would have to close off to Vic because there would be no need for them to test for the virus it would become the common flu there, thats why we want the vaccine right?! This will be interesting for sure.
SHVC is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 02:11
  #4970 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Asia Pacific
Age: 50
Posts: 1,961
There’s a new Vietnamese killer mutant death strain looming into the horizon according to the media...

it just reminds me of the war between Oceania, Eurasia and Eastasia; never seems to approach any end.

minigundiplomat is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 07:02
  #4971 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 386
With all this scaremongering over the AstraZeneca vaccine….

ooops.


Foxxster is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 07:05
  #4972 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 3,656
All vaccines work, none increase your chance of death significantly, if at all. Compared to the risk from Covid you're always better off having the vaccine
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 08:21
  #4973 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 1,470
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
With all this scaremongering over the AstraZeneca vaccine….

ooops.
That’s because for about two months from late Jan to late March France and Germany restricted use of AZ to under 65. Persons in that cohort will have a lower risk of dying of natural causes in the weeks after the vaccine compared to the older age bracket who got mostly Pfizer so overall this has skewed the death rate to being higher overall for Pfizer.

And you’d realise that if you got your news from a better source than RT.

dr dre is online now  
Old 31st May 2021, 08:29
  #4974 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 573
Originally Posted by Asturias56 View Post
All vaccines work, none increase your chance of death significantly, if at all. Compared to the risk from Covid you're always better off having the vaccine
Agree 100%,basically nobody thinks twice about vaccinating their kids,nobody thinks twice about being vaccinated if needed to enter a country on a holiday destination where its required & even if somebody does have complications after the jab it doesnt make headlines.
People have reactions to the common flu vaccination but lots still have it,just saying...
blubak is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 08:41
  #4975 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Doomadgee
Posts: 148
Agree 100%,basically nobody thinks twice about vaccinating their kids,nobody thinks twice about being vaccinated if needed to enter a country on a holiday destination where its required & even if somebody does have complications after the jab it doesnt make headlines.
People have reactions to the common flu vaccination but lots still have it,just saying...
The testing for these vaccines have not been remotely as rigorous as previous vaccines.......

One used to choose to go to another country and choose whether to get vaccinated or not.....


Capn Rex Havoc is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 09:26
  #4976 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 413
...and choose whether to get vaccinated or not.....
Has this changed?
Fonz121 is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 10:29
  #4977 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sydney
Posts: 386
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
That’s because for about two months from late Jan to late March France and Germany restricted use of AZ to under 65. Persons in that cohort will have a lower risk of dying of natural causes in the weeks after the vaccine compared to the older age bracket who got mostly Pfizer so overall this has skewed the death rate to being higher overall for Pfizer.

And you’d realise that if you got your news from a better source than RT.
oh I realise an awful lot about what was going on in Europe and the political games they were playing with the AstraZeneca vaccine. In fact I know more than you I would gamble.

as you missed the point entirely of my post I will make it simple for you.

the scaremongering, yes if you’d paid attention you would have spotted i used that word, over the AstraZeneca vaccine has been verging on hysterical. With every case of clotting and every death making headlines. And with little facts surrounding it in terms of how rare it really is. However seeing as the Pfizer vaccine also has complications as per the study then why no spotlight on it. People die with Pfizer, and more than AstraZeneca per this report. Underlying facts don’t matter to the mainstream media or many in the general public.

Hope that was patronising enough .

Foxxster is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 10:47
  #4978 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Aus
Age: 40
Posts: 332
Originally Posted by Foxxster View Post
oh I realise an awful lot about what was going on in Europe and the political games they were playing with the AstraZeneca vaccine. In fact I know more than you I would gamble.

as you missed the point entirely of my post I will make it simple for you.

the scaremongering, yes if you’d paid attention you would have spotted i used that word, over the AstraZeneca vaccine has been verging on hysterical. With every case of clotting and every death making headlines. And with little facts surrounding it in terms of how rare it really is. However seeing as the Pfizer vaccine also has complications as per the study then why no spotlight on it. People die with Pfizer, and more than AstraZeneca per this report. Underlying facts don’t matter to the mainstream media or many in the general public.

Hope that was patronising enough .
That’s not exactly how you presented your argument in your original post. FWIW, I came to a similar conclusion to De Dre. I’m glad you’ve cleared that up now, but it might be worthwile expanding on your point of view in the future.
turbantime is offline  
Old 31st May 2021, 12:54
  #4979 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dunnunda
Posts: 483
You have to die of something. At the end of the day you will get the flu, and whether you like it or not you will get Covid, or a mutation of the original Covid 19.

Have the jab, don’t have the jab. Whatever works. Just don’t regret not having the jab when it’s too late.

We have a circuit breaker in this country. Enough time for everyone to make up their own mind. Rely on herd immunity, or risk death associated with a jab. Herd immunity only works when we have enough people brave enough to protect their family by putting their lives on the line. Melodramatic?

Herd immunity has worked with disease and infection of similar R values, so make a choice and let’s move on.
Bula is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2021, 01:07
  #4980 (permalink)  
601
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Age: 75
Posts: 1,323
If you actually listened to the “people shouting in the wind” you’d probably notice a lot of them are frustrated with the apparent lack of plan from the Feds on when things will reopen.
So you want a plan set in concrete when the thing you are planning against is a moving target.
Best have a flexible idea that can change with the moving target.

A good example is QF62. If they had stuck with the "plan" as per the checklist, what would have been the outcome?

We have to deal with what is thrown at us.
Different variants, restrictions of AZ being released from Europe, vaccine hesitancy, etc.

Who thought in March 2020 that we have had less that 1000 deaths in Oz.
Be bl000y thankful that our management has been one of the most successful.
We have an awful lot of "experts" marched out by the media saying we should do this or should have done that.
I would rather go with their cohort who are advising the Government who would have access to the latest information.
601 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.