Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Qantas Recruitment

Old 9th Mar 2020, 05:43
  #2321 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lower North Shore
Posts: 276
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Are any more courses going ahead? Is it likely the hold file will be dissolved?
Brakerider is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2020, 06:17
  #2322 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 448
Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Brakerider
Are any more courses going ahead? Is it likely the hold file will be dissolved?
New SO courses to continue for the rest of the year according to management today.
Fonz121 is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2020, 06:27
  #2323 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confirmed today that SO courses will continue. However the disclaimer was added - "the situation is constantly evolving".
normanton is offline  
Old 10th Mar 2020, 08:19
  #2324 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news that they plan to continue with training for the foreseeable future. I guess when things bounce back they're going to bounce back in a big way (hopefully!)
MajorLemond is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2020, 02:46
  #2325 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Latrobe Valley
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cabin Crew Application

Hi all

Iím not sure if I am on the correct thread however it sounds like most of you have a good understanding of the recruitment process. I was hoping someone can please clarify why applicants are required to wait 12 months until they can apply again once theyíve been placed on hold due to no cabin crew positions available at that current time?
I understand completely you are required to wait 12 months once deemed unsuccessful if you do not proceed past the assessment day.
My application was eligible to be placed on hold until May this year however was cut short due to the current circumstances. It is definitely heartbreaking to hear after a long 1 year wait from the time of my application however I just wanted to send my thoughts out to those who currently work as cabin crew.
m.adz is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2020, 11:15
  #2326 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 2,303
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by m.adz
Hi all

Iím not sure if I am on the correct thread however it sounds like most of you have a good understanding of the recruitment process. I was hoping someone can please clarify why applicants are required to wait 12 months until they can apply again once theyíve been placed on hold due to no cabin crew positions available at that current time?
I understand completely you are required to wait 12 months once deemed unsuccessful if you do not proceed past the assessment day.
My application was eligible to be placed on hold until May this year however was cut short due to the current circumstances. It is definitely heartbreaking to hear after a long 1 year wait from the time of my application however I just wanted to send my thoughts out to those who currently work as cabin crew.
Welcome to the wonderful world of airline HR selection.
KRUSTY 34 is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2020, 11:38
  #2327 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Latrobe Valley
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KRUSTY 34
Welcome to the wonderful world of airline HR selection.
Yep starting to realised how wonderful it is hahaha
m.adz is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 10:01
  #2328 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 47
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Firstly, does anyone recall / have a copy of the graph AIPA released a few years back showing the amount of Qantas pilots reaching 65 over the next 10 years?

I remember the number being approx 700 to year 2030. That being what 30% of the pilot body?

With the recruitment door all but closed for the immediate future, is there a possibility of a shortage of pilots for the international operation come say 2023 onwards?

With many I’d assume throwing in the towel prior to 65 in the current climate, re training ect
Project sunrise isn’t dead yet, it may become favourable in the years ahead with the new world as it be. 400 additional pilots were needed for this operation.

I’m a glass half full person but on paper it’s not all doom and gloom.

thoughts?

Take care all
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 10:43
  #2329 (permalink)  
Keg

Nunc est bibendum
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,583
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
675 to the end of 2030. It’s only 156 until the end of 2023.
Keg is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 10:45
  #2330 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: M.I.A.
Posts: 209
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Bug Smasher Smasher is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 11:10
  #2331 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The average retirement age is 63. You could argue retirements would be slightly more than the above graph as it shows age of 65.

I also think lots will stay longer now that their super has gone down the toilet.

Lots will also hit 65 with wanting to move over to domestic 737. Not gonna happen anytime soon.
normanton is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 12:17
  #2332 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by normanton
I also think lots will stay longer now that their super has gone down the toilet.
ASX only lost 18 months worth of gains.
Stardoggas is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 13:02
  #2333 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: M.I.A.
Posts: 209
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
And there are issues for those in defined benefit super schemes that may not make it worthwhile hanging around while stood down or on MGH.
Bug Smasher Smasher is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 13:06
  #2334 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 47
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the graph.

some valid points raised. A little to play out Iím sure. Iím confident the powers at be have it all sorted

stay positive folks.
Fujiroll76 is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 21:14
  #2335 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 114
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fujiroll76
Firstly, does anyone recall / have a copy of the graph AIPA released a few years back showing the amount of Qantas pilots reaching 65 over the next 10 years?

I remember the number being approx 700 to year 2030. That being what 30% of the pilot body?

With the recruitment door all but closed for the immediate future, is there a possibility of a shortage of pilots for the international operation come say 2023 onwards?

With many Iíd assume throwing in the towel prior to 65 in the current climate, re training ect
Project sunrise isnít dead yet, it may become favourable in the years ahead with the new world as it be. 400 additional pilots were needed for this operation.

Iím a glass half full person but on paper itís not all doom and gloom.

thoughts?

Take care all
Not all doom and gloom. We'll be lucky if we don't lose 400 plus pilots as a result of this. I can't see any recruitment for a very long time.
Autobrakes4 is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 22:19
  #2336 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 324
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Autobrakes4
Not all doom and gloom. We'll be lucky if we don't lose 400 plus pilots as a result of this.
We will all know by the end of June...3 months notice will coincide with the end of Jobkeeper. I donít hold your same pessimism though, but some tough decisions to come.
crosscutter is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 22:43
  #2337 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Denmark
Posts: 0
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully LWOP is offered to junior international crew and not a redundancy. All the new hires will be needed in a few yrs as travel picks up.
Ragnor is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 23:00
  #2338 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 41
Posts: 483
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ragnor
Hopefully LWOP is offered to junior international crew and not a redundancy. All the new hires will be needed in a few yrs as travel picks up.
Very interesting isn't it.

At what point can the junior international crew be back flying on the 330/787, whilst the senior 380/747 crew remain stood down? Does that still classify as "no work available" ?
normanton is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 23:01
  #2339 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Home
Posts: 796
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Isn't that what placing everyone on stand down is effectively doing? You are free to source alternative employment and it's not really costing the company much to keep you on the books.
Going Nowhere is offline  
Old 30th May 2020, 23:16
  #2340 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Gladstone
Age: 47
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Going Nowhere
Isn't that what placing everyone on stand down is effectively doing? You are free to source alternative employment and it's not really costing the company much to keep you on the books.
Pretty much. Although still accumulating AL,SL

LWOP would be the obvious decision to remove the above entitlements if the company cant recoup from the government JK scheme after September.

Iím hopeful that keeping a surplus current in the short term will provide the flexibility that the company has continued to express in the event demand ramps up quicker than expected.

Fujiroll76 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.