Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions

Old 11th Jun 2023, 08:34
  #861 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: BBN
Posts: 951
Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by A320 Flyer
is this for real? Or a wind up?
I would believe it, email few months ago informing us female scholarships available, no help for the males that want to come through.
SHVC is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2023, 12:42
  #862 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Likeasomebody
Whatever you can, centrelink, personal loan to support yourself, repayment holiday form mortgage if possible, work at night/casual /cash job, mum/dad, family support.

Seriously consider if it's worth it before you say yes to a start date and how you are going to survive.
I agree it sucks. But going here and accepting a short period unpaid (if thatís how it is) vs staying at a much lower paying ga/regional job hoping things change, whatíre we to do?
Bones13 is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2023, 13:07
  #863 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2022
Location: Australia
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bones13
I agree it sucks. But going here and accepting a short period unpaid (if thatís how it is) vs staying at a much lower paying ga/regional job hoping things change, whatíre we to do?
Agree and completely understand.
Likeasomebody is offline  
Old 11th Jun 2023, 22:16
  #864 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 467
Received 153 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Bones13
I agree it sucks. But going here and accepting a short period unpaid (if thatís how it is) vs staying at a much lower paying ga/regional job hoping things change, whatíre we to do?
But there are numerous better options out there that pay you during training and pay the same if not more then Jetstar. NJS, Network, Virgin, RFDSÖ
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 01:32
  #865 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Aus
Posts: 10
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy
But there are numerous better options out there that pay you during training

This is terrible advice Iím sorry. Base your flying career of potentially the next 40 years on a couple thousand dollars pay discrepancy during type rating? Letís say you wanted to stay and live in a certain base that realistically Jetstar will get you direct entry into like Brisbane, do you go to the RFDS because they pay you for ground school but then you get to live in Charleville for the next 20 years? Your kids will love you for that one mate! All for some additional money during ground school (by the way when you go to Singapore for the transition sims with Jetstar you will clear around 15K for that month if itís coupled to the overnights from ground school in Melbourne).

I see the point that you are making Flyboy mate, but itís rock in a hard place stuff. All of the on offer Australian jet jobs (apart from
mainline which is categorically a better contract) have their own sets of pros and cons, and itís up to the pilot to balance which set of pros and cons would work for you best - whilst at the same time you might not want to put all of your eggs in one basket incase the wait is too long and if the industry stagnates you havenít progressed (eg a subsidiary internal putting in for mainline and given a 3 year wait).
kcboy is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 12th Jun 2023, 02:06
  #866 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 211
Received 146 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy
But there are numerous better options out there that pay you during training and pay the same if not more than Jetstar. NJS, Network, Virgin, RFDSÖ
NJS and Network definitely do not pay better than JQ.
soseg is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 12th Jun 2023, 02:09
  #867 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Wangaratta
Posts: 76
Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
The only 2 worth working for in that list are JQ or VA.
WillieTheWimp is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Old 12th Jun 2023, 02:49
  #868 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz
Posts: 47
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcboy
This is terrible advice Iím sorry. Base your flying career of potentially the next 40 years on a couple thousand dollars pay discrepancy during type rating? Letís say you wanted to stay and live in a certain base that realistically Jetstar will get you direct entry into like Brisbane, do you go to the RFDS because they pay you for ground school but then you get to live in Charleville for the next 20 years? Your kids will love you for that one mate! All for some additional money during ground school (by the way when you go to Singapore for the transition sims with Jetstar you will clear around 15K for that month if itís coupled to the overnights from ground school in Melbourne).

I see the point that you are making Flyboy mate, but itís rock in a hard place stuff. All of the on offer Australian jet jobs (apart from
mainline which is categorically a better contract) have their own sets of pros and cons, and itís up to the pilot to balance which set of pros and cons would work for you best - whilst at the same time you might not want to put all of your eggs in one basket incase the wait is too long and if the industry stagnates you havenít progressed (eg a subsidiary internal putting in for mainline and given a 3 year wait).
Thanks mate. Thatís it, basing is the primary reason. Not exactly going to move the family interstate for the sake of a few months training payÖ
Bones13 is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 03:05
  #869 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 467
Received 153 Likes on 62 Posts
Absolutely agree, base preference may force your hand. I suppose it just frustrates me that Jetstar treat Pilots like scum.
aussieflyboy is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 03:24
  #870 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Goblin Town
Posts: 188
Received 137 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by aussieflyboy
...Australia treat Pilots like scum.
There...I fixed it for you
RealSatoshi is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 04:12
  #871 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Timbuktoo
Posts: 241
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts
I suppose it just frustrates me that Jetstar treat Pilots like scum.
Thereís only one group of people that Jetstar treat worse then their customers, and itís the staff.
brokenagain is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 05:18
  #872 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,178
Received 140 Likes on 59 Posts
There’s only one group of people that Jetstar treat worse then their customers, and it’s the staff.
And like the passengers know what they are getting, or should know because there is plenty of information and social media about it, when they6 buy a ticket, no pilot has an excuse to not know what they are signing up for when they apply to Jetstar. Passengers will continue to fly with Jetstar because for whatever reason it suits their purposes. So pilots will join Jetstar, and more interestingly, stay with Jetstar because it suits their purposes. The only mass movement of pilots out of Jetstar is to mainline and that is at a rate dictated by Jetstar. There has never been a mass exodus out of jetstar to other airlines because the conditions and pay are unbearable. The HR department know that so the floggings will continue until the morale improves.
Lookleft is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 14:59
  #873 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 44
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bones13
I agree it sucks. But going here and accepting a short period unpaid (if that’s how it is) vs staying at a much lower paying ga/regional job hoping things change, what’re we to do?
Exactly my point above when I said it's short term pain, for long term gain. Don't blame the new joiners for this. Those who have joined Jetstar went through the exact same process, did they not?
Hollywood1 is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 21:12
  #874 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Age: 67
Posts: 1,913
Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts
I love how everyone whinges about poor conditions yet EBA time has just past and nobody did boo about fixing key issues like that above.

Generally training wages, payments are not the hardest part in negotiations and most get waved through. Once again, nobody went into the detail with clauses. Perhaps donít vote a deal in next time that has holes, but I know everyone will.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 21:23
  #875 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 285
Likes: 0
Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood1
Exactly my point above when I said it's short term pain, for long term gain. Don't blame the new joiners for this. Those who have joined Jetstar went through the exact same process, did they not?

from the crew there it sounds more like short term pain for long term pain.
cloudsurfng is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2023, 21:37
  #876 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oz
Age: 67
Posts: 1,913
Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts
Love it. Screw ourselves short term but itís all good in the long run!

Why donít you fix these issues when the opportunity presents itself, ohhhhhh crap we just past that point a few months agoÖ

Only at the star.
PoppaJo is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2023, 00:34
  #877 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 228
Received 112 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
Love it. Screw ourselves short term but itís all good in the long run!

Why donít you fix these issues when the opportunity presents itself, ohhhhhh crap we just past that point a few months agoÖ

Only at the star.
Couldn't agree more. Everyone at the moment is angry and anti JQ management and out to **** them over.
That leaked email from a OOL adm has finally pushed the last remaining few who still care over the edge. But, where was all this " I'll show them" attitude during EBA negotiations? You can't blame JQ for taking advantage of us. All we do is bend over and take it. So weak.
It'd not the responsibility of some new hire from GA or link desperate to get their first Jet job to fight over no training pay .. it's ours FFS!
cLeArIcE is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2023, 01:51
  #878 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 1,385
Received 150 Likes on 54 Posts
What is in the 'leaked email'? I have never known moral to be so low with so much anger towards management. However I seem to make that statement every couple of years and it is worrying to think where we will be going forward.
Ollie Onion is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2023, 02:20
  #879 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 228
Received 112 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Ollie Onion
What is in the 'leaked email'? I have never known moral to be so low with so much anger towards management. However I seem to make that statement every couple of years and it is worrying to think where we will be going forward.
The one asking ground staff to record our arrival time at the gate and whether we have coffees etc to obviously subsequently blame us for late departures. Also the need to question us why we are taking so long if we haven't given final paperwork etc.
The fire that TS and rest of flight ops have been trying to put out ever since.
Oh well, I'm going to get my coffee prior to sign on and I'm not going to look at a single thing untill that clock ticks over to sign on time. Not that it matters as the aircraft will probably late inbound or, not enough (insert other essential staff here), no catering, water, full shitters or engineering still being done etc. The usual.
But make sure you dob yourself in and ACARS us with a fatigued score at ToD so we can hang you later 🤣
​​​​​​
cLeArIcE is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2023, 03:26
  #880 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: around the corner
Posts: 17
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by morno
And an attitude like that is the reason WHY they donít frigging pay you during your type rating!
In light of your obviously superior attitude when you applied at Jetstar from your GA job, did you get paid during your type rating?
dive and drive is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.