Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 13th Oct 2019, 14:53
  #1121 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,273
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch View Post
Recently had an advert pop up on Instagram that Air Wisconsin are now sponsoring Australian E-3s for those interested.
C.C,

You'd think AW would put specific info about E3 recruiting on their official pilot hiring website rather than a fringe outlet (well, we old people might consider Instagram a fringe outlet).

They've taken visa holders for a while apparently. Why not just put it all out front like some other regionals have done ?:

Air Wisconsin, Jobs & Salary for Foreign Workers | myvisajobs.com


bafanguy is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 14:41
  #1122 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 25
Anyone have any info in regards to rules with the flow programs? Specifically the one between Gojet and ATLAS/FRONTIER.

I have confirmed with both ATLAS and Frontier on their status on hiring Australian E3 pilots.

ATLAS: Is now hiring Australians who are already in the US on the E3 visa and meet the entry minimums.
Frontier: Currently reviewing, but anticipating a trial run of Australians in the near future.

For an Australian pilot at Gojet are you excluded from applying to those carriers directly outside the 'flow' program. With the visa being temporary, you would not be able to stay long enough to actually 'flow'. If your visa runs out or you resign or go to another carrier, would you then be able to apply directly to Frontier or ATLAS or are you excluded for life outside the flow if you worked for Gojet at any time?

With those two carriers being the only current possibilities outside the regionals for Australians, it would not leave any option to progress within the US after regional flying by going to Gojet then?
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 15:23
  #1123 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch View Post
Anyone have any info in regards to rules with the flow programs? Specifically the one between Gojet and ATLAS/FRONTIER.

I have confirmed with both ATLAS and Frontier on their status on hiring Australian E3 pilots.

ATLAS: Is now hiring Australians who are already in the US on the E3 visa and meet the entry minimums.
Frontier: Currently reviewing, but anticipating a trial run of Australians in the near future.

For an Australian pilot at Gojet are you excluded from applying to those carriers directly outside the 'flow' program. With the visa being temporary, you would not be able to stay long enough to actually 'flow'. If your visa runs out or you resign or go to another carrier, would you then be able to apply directly to Frontier or ATLAS or are you excluded for life outside the flow if you worked for Gojet at any time?

With those two carriers being the only current possibilities outside the regionals for Australians, it would not leave any option to progress within the US after regional flying by going to Gojet then?
the flow exclusions to frontier only apply to those carriers while youíre on their seniority list. Quite a few pilots have left flow carriers to get into frontier earlier.
havick is online now  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 17:13
  #1124 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 38
Posts: 126
Are you coming over CC? If so are you set on Go Jet? If your not set on them perhaps go to another carrier. Everything seems so loose and fast over here that the rules and policies change monthly.

Its like a reality show with allegences made and broken every episode.

Southern is also taking aussies. Did you hear the Frontier trial stuff from the horses mouth...or second hand?

FWIW. Iwrote to United re the Aviate program and got a response. To paraphrase it said 'we dont sponser now...but we may in the future'.

Reading into it too much? Dont know but there is a change in language from the normal....'we dont sponsor people to work'...
Professional Amateur is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 17:50
  #1125 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 115
United's aviate program seems like an interesting opportunity. It might prove beneficial to insert yourself into one of those regionals. Should you have a chance to change your immigration status, then that opportunity with United will be closer than usual.


umop apisdn is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 21:40
  #1126 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by havick View Post


the flow exclusions to frontier only apply to those carriers while youíre on their seniority list. Quite a few pilots have left flow carriers to get into frontier earlier.
havick,

thanks for that! I wasn't sure how it was viewed by the Frontier recruiters or if they cared or not!

C.C
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 21:45
  #1127 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 38
Posts: 126
Yes Aviate is a good opportunity to get yourself in front of the recruiters. Lots of negativity about it but hey, it is what it is and it sure beats being given nothing.

Its virtually a free pass to get in front of them and argue your case. I probably wouldn't base my regional choice off it however.
Professional Amateur is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 21:50
  #1128 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by Professional Amateur View Post
Are you coming over CC? If so are you set on Go Jet? If your not set on them perhaps go to another carrier. Everything seems so loose and fast over here that the rules and policies change monthly.

Its like a reality show with allegences made and broken every episode.

Southern is also taking aussies. Did you hear the Frontier trial stuff from the horses mouth...or second hand?

FWIW. Iwrote to United re the Aviate program and got a response. To paraphrase it said 'we dont sponser now...but we may in the future'.

Reading into it too much? Dont know but there is a change in language from the normal....'we dont sponsor people to work'...

Yes I am, have a start date with GoJet, but friends at Expressjet reccomend I go there instead. I have an interview setup for tomorrow with them. Do you think they are a better option?

With the Gojet deals I think ATLAS/Southern are considered one and the same? And yes I heard that directly from the Frontier recruiter. "We are currently reviewing the possibility of hiring Australians, with a plan to trial a few. Please keep in touch with us "

That is definitely a good sign about United. If Australians maintain a good track record over there, I don't see why things wouldn't trend that way. They need pilots.. we are pilots... and we are easy and cheap to sponsor/get rid of haha..
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 22:18
  #1129 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 468
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch View Post
Yes I am, have a start date with GoJet, but friends at Expressjet reccomend I go there instead. I have an interview setup for tomorrow with them. Do you think they are a better option?

With the Gojet deals I think ATLAS/Southern are considered one and the same? And yes I heard that directly from the Frontier recruiter. "We are currently reviewing the possibility of hiring Australians, with a plan to trial a few. Please keep in touch with us "

That is definitely a good sign about United. If Australians maintain a good track record over there, I don't see why things wouldn't trend that way. They need pilots.. we are pilots... and we are easy and cheap to sponsor/get rid of haha..
United donít need pilots, thereís still a long line of super qualified people who havenít been picked up yet. Minorities and women not withstanding.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 14th Oct 2019, 22:21
  #1130 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Tracking to intercept
Posts: 25
Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ View Post


United donít need pilots, thereís still a long line of super qualified people who havenít been picked up yet. Minorities and women not withstanding.
I just mean the trend of operators with bigger equipment outside the regionals looking at E3s. There are plenty of others in the US besides the big 4 who are gonna need pilots, as the shortage worsens and retirements start to really take their effect.
Captain.Crunch is offline  
Old 15th Oct 2019, 00:08
  #1131 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 57
Something I think is worth keeping in mind when choosing your regional is not so much their pay and conditions (because they're all average), but time to command. The opportunity for Aussies to move beyond the regionals is coming sooner rather than later, and that pic time makes you infinitely more attractive.

I know of several Aussies working hard to make headway for others to follow, whether by getting sponsored on a greencard or pushing for E3s at better carriers. Watch this space!
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 16th Oct 2019, 23:05
  #1132 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 468
Originally Posted by Captain.Crunch View Post
I just mean the trend of operators with bigger equipment outside the regionals looking at E3s. There are plenty of others in the US besides the big 4 who are gonna need pilots, as the shortage worsens and retirements start to really take their effect.
Respectfully disagree. Only place that comes to mind is Atlas/Southern and you really don’t know what you’re in for if you decide to go work there. Go to one of the job fairs if you disagree and see the long lines of hopeful still aiming for a legacy job. My sort of Legacy airline I work for hires green card holders, but even that’s a stretch at most places.

By all means come over to a regional on an E3, do your time and try to somehow become a permanent resident but if your waiting for E3 floodgates at United, Delta, American I think you’ll be waiting a long time. Can’t even see it at the LCCs to be honest, even Frontier. Rightfully so. I’m a citizen and I’ve had my fare share of angst thrown at me for stealing American jobs.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2019, 18:13
  #1133 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dirty South
Posts: 380
Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ View Post


Respectfully disagree. Only place that comes to mind is Atlas/Southern and you really donít know what youíre in for if you decide to go work there. Go to one of the job fairs if you disagree and see the long lines of hopeful still aiming for a legacy job. My sort of Legacy airline I work for hires green card holders, but even thatís a stretch at most places.

By all means come over to a regional on an E3, do your time and try to somehow become a permanent resident but if your waiting for E3 floodgates at United, Delta, American I think youíll be waiting a long time. Canít even see it at the LCCs to be honest, even Frontier. Rightfully so. Iím a citizen and Iíve had my fare share of angst thrown at me for stealing American jobs.

I agree with most of your points. Especially the Atlas/Southern cess pit. I could see Frontier and Atlas doing E3s at some point though.

The underlined sections gave me pause. There is no ďstretchĒ with a green card. Itís a legal right to work. In over 20 years here, Iíve never heard of any holder having an issue. Itís against the law. And they donít care.

Your ďsort of legacy airlineĒ ? There is only one sort. Perhaps just an odd choice of words ?

Iíve never heard a word about Ďstealing jobsí. But, your experience, is your experience. So I wouldnít dispute it. Perhaps youíre talking about at a Regional level ? Even there I never heard a word. But, that was before E3 etc. On the other hand; some mouth breathing rednecks have found their voice. That may have changed the landscape.

I do hear a lot more Australian accents on the radio.

Cheers 🍻
JPJP is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2019, 21:45
  #1134 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 468
Originally Posted by JPJP View Post



I agree with most of your points. Especially the Atlas/Southern cess pit. I could see Frontier and Atlas doing E3s at some point though.

The underlined sections gave me pause. There is no ďstretchĒ with a green card. Itís a legal right to work. In over 20 years here, Iíve never heard of any holder having an issue. Itís against the law. And they donít care.

Your ďsort of legacy airlineĒ ? There is only one sort. Perhaps just an odd choice of words ?

Iíve never heard a word about Ďstealing jobsí. But, your experience, is your experience. So I wouldnít dispute it. Perhaps youíre talking about at a Regional level ? Even there I never heard a word. But, that was before E3 etc. On the other hand; some mouth breathing rednecks have found their voice. That may have changed the landscape.

I do hear a lot more Australian accents on the radio.

Cheers 🍻

Was under the impression you needed to be a citizen to be competitive. Was personally told this at a job fair from Delta, when they picked apart my resume. Granted this was years ago before the market opened up.

The angst part part comes from some experiences flying with bigoted folks who are scared of foreigners. Have experienced this at my own airline (Not Delta/United/American but another legacy) and jumpseating on United where a Captain gave me the third degree about stealing jobs and demanded to see my passport after identifying as a US citizen.

You may may be right on the political climate.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 17th Oct 2019, 23:35
  #1135 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,273
Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ View Post
The angst part part comes from some experiences flying with bigoted folks who are scared of foreigners. Have experienced this at my own airline
DUX,

You can always find an idiot in the mix. I'm not sure it's accurate to extrapolate one or two idiots to a prevailing national attitude. I've watched a few major forums for a mention of Aussies coming here to the regional game. I see almost NO mention of the subject. If it were an issue in the minds of people, you'd see the angst-ridden internet forum denizens squawking about it. I take this to mean it isn't a subject in the minds of the vast majority. Resume normal speed.

I also wouldn't put much stock in the statement of one Delta rep about green card holders at one job fair. Delta hires green card holders...yes...they do.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2019, 01:38
  #1136 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by bafanguy View Post
I also wouldn't put much stock in the statement of one Delta rep about green card holders at one job fair. Delta hires green card holders...yes...they do.
The fact is that the vast majority of Americans, including HR people, have no idea how visas/green cards/citizenship work. Thatís why questions on an application and the subsequent checking of documents are done by the people who do understand these matters (lawyers), and thatís why having a green card is just as good as having citizenship when it relates to being eligible to work in the US.
sigler is offline  
Old 18th Oct 2019, 18:16
  #1137 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ._..._...
Posts: 279
Originally Posted by sigler View Post
The fact is that the vast majority of Americans, including HR people, have no idea how visas/green cards/citizenship work. Thatís why questions on an application and the subsequent checking of documents are done by the people who do understand these matters (lawyers), and thatís why having a green card is just as good as having citizenship when it relates to being eligible to work in the US.
This is very true. There are an enormous amount of different visa's the US have available to people wishing to stay in the US on a permanent or semi permanent basis. This is the reason that almost all job ads state "must have authority to live/work in the US", as you have stated, HR people have no clue about visa's and the various requirements nor do they want to sift through piles of documentation to determine eligibility.

The only reason the E3 has been an easy way for us Aussies is because someone worked out a few years ago the low cost, ease of acquiring and almost unlimited renewal was perfect for airlines.
vee1-rotate is offline  
Old 21st Oct 2019, 05:13
  #1138 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: .
Age: 20
Posts: 72
- What’s the take-home pay (after tax) USA Regionals are offering new FOs, and what is it for Captains?
- It seems like the Regionals with older aircraft (ERJ145) are paying more than carriers with the ERJ175, right? I guess they need to pay more to attract applicants to an older type?

Personally, I’d rather the ERJ175 as they are common in Latin America where I have an interest in living.
I’m and Aussie and have an FAA ATP already, but no jet time and only experience in small turbine a/c, plus I’m 46 years old so unlikely to flow onto a major airline.

If I went onto a Regional in the USA what, would be the best salary I could expect about 3 years down the line? The dilemma for me is I can currently take home 8k usd a month plus, just flying a caravan, which is probably already comparable to what a USA regional Captain would make? Right? I’m tossing around the idea of applying to the regionals, but maybe not such a good idea for an old chap?
Jerry Springer is offline  
Old 21st Oct 2019, 06:22
  #1139 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Jerry Springer View Post
- Whatís the take-home pay (after tax) USA Regionals are offering new FOs, and what is it for Captains?
- It seems like the Regionals with older aircraft (ERJ145) are paying more than carriers with the ERJ175, right? I guess they need to pay more to attract applicants to an older type?

Personally, Iíd rather the ERJ175 as they are common in Latin America where I have an interest in living.
Iím and Aussie and have an FAA ATP already, but no jet time and only experience in small turbine a/c, plus Iím 46 years old so unlikely to flow onto a major airline.

If I went onto a Regional in the USA what, would be the best salary I could expect about 3 years down the line? The dilemma for me is I can currently take home 8k usd a month plus, just flying a caravan, which is probably already comparable to what a USA regional Captain would make? Right? Iím tossing around the idea of applying to the regionals, but maybe not such a good idea for an old chap?
the only regional that has 175ís taking E3ís at the moment is expressjet. Thereís also no guarantee that you will get the 175 as an FO, and a fairly low probability of upgrading into it as a captain as it would be the senior aircraft. I canít see expressjetís senioritt list but it would be safe to assume that all the lifer Captains will be taking the 175 captain slots.
havick is online now  
Old 21st Oct 2019, 08:39
  #1140 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,273
Originally Posted by Jerry Springer View Post
- Whatís the take-home pay (after tax) USA Regionals are offering new FOs, and what is it for Captains?

If I went onto a Regional in the USA what, would be the best salary I could expect about 3 years down the line? The dilemma for me is I can currently take home 8k usd a month plus, just flying a caravan, which is probably already comparable to what a USA regional Captain would make? Right? Iím tossing around the idea of applying to the regionals, but maybe not such a good idea for an old chap?
If you haven't seen it yet, there's some info here. Not sure how current it is but it'll give some ballpark figures. After tax income depends where you live as state and local taxes will apply in addition to federal:

https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional


bafanguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.