Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 15th Sep 2019, 01:24
  #1081 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 13
Originally Posted by Hans Solo View Post
Hi...when you say you get a $10,000 bonus if you have a type rating on an aircraft above 5700kg...do you mean any aircraft above 5700kg or the aircraft they are type rating you on?
Any aircraft type rating, not necessarily an E145.. As for if it has to be on your FAA licence at the time of hire or just on your CASA licence - I have been told different things. At this stage I do not have an FAA licence and will get one when I do my check ride in a couple weeks. I do however have a couple of type ratings on my Australian CASA licence.

All the contracts I signed did not specify that the type rating had to be on an FAA licence so I guess I'll find out when I get my bonus. Though if I don't get the $10k, I'm not going to be happy. The reason they pay it, is because if you have a type rating then you have gone through sim training and as such should be easier to teach than say someone who has only flown single engine pistons etc. so it shouldn't matter. Nevertheless once I get my FAA licence it will have my previous type ratings on there as well.
AP3XS is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 06:27
  #1082 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by cappt View Post
I just flew with an Aussie guy here in the States on the E3 and he had an offer from a 777 cargo outfit. Unfortunately that outfit has worse T&C then most of the regionals, I advised him to proceed with great caution and only if he wanted it for a way to Asia.
Has to have been from Southern Air, part of Atlas group. I got same offer.
TinFoilhat2 is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 18:05
  #1083 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
They don't stipulate an FAA pilot certificate because they never considered people with non FAA credentials applying.

Don't be one of these people who get upset because you find out when you start training that you are not eligible for the CPP program or a flow or whatever else they said to you at interview. They don't tailor the recruiting pitch to non American.

Also, you can't put foreign ratings on an FAA pilot certificate. The FAA only recognise types done by FAA examiners using FAA approved facilities. Many have tried, all failed.
​​​
pilotchute is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 20:16
  #1084 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,614
Originally Posted by pilotchute View Post
They don't stipulate an FAA pilot certificate because they never considered people with non FAA credentials applying. ​​​
'chute,

That may very well be the case. Can't the question of bonus for non-US type ratings be answered with certainty by the recruiting staff at a regional ?

People showing up with type ratings on their foreign tickets does have value by demonstrating one's ability to jump the rating hoops. That should be something of value to a regional.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 21:11
  #1085 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Lower North Shore
Posts: 168
Originally Posted by TinFoilhat2 View Post


Has to have been from Southern Air, part of Atlas group. I got same offer.
Are these offers being extended to those outside of the US, or only those already on the E3?
Brakerider is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 21:31
  #1086 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,614
Originally Posted by Brakerider View Post
Are these offers being extended to those outside of the US, or only those already on the E3?
Their posting of requirements is inconclusive on that count. It's the standard "Legally authorized to work in the USA" which doesn't say anything about whom they actually hire or under what circumstances. There's a way to find out: apply and see what happens:

https://www.google.com/search?client...3D&htivrt=jobs


bafanguy is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 21:36
  #1087 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
It is for people who already have an FAA ATP.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 22:36
  #1088 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oz
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by pilotchute View Post
They don't stipulate an FAA pilot certificate because they never considered people with non FAA credentials applying.

Don't be one of these people who get upset because you find out when you start training that you are not eligible for the CPP program or a flow or whatever else they said to you at interview. They don't tailor the recruiting pitch to non American.

Also, you can't put foreign ratings on an FAA pilot certificate. The FAA only recognise types done by FAA examiners using FAA approved facilities. Many have tried, all failed.
​​​
Well all of my type ratings were done by FAA Examiners and then transferred onto my CASA licence, so still passed all the required FAA requirements for IPC on type....just don't have it on an FAA ATP.
Hans Solo is offline  
Old 15th Sep 2019, 23:07
  #1089 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
If you read the Southern Air ad it stipulates an FAA ATP and first class medical and 500 hours with a part 121 carrier. Thats American part 121. Not European or Australian or anything else.

US carriers dont care about what type ratings you have as you pretty much have to do it again for whatever company you work for. Guys who change companies to fly the exact same type pretty much do a full type all over again. The only thing i think the type rating bonus is for would be to lure people from other regionals.

I also did a type in the USA some years ago and nobody cares.

Lastly recruiting have a checklist to cover. They know very little about anything outside of the checklist. They get paid for how many people turn up to class so take that any way you want.

Last edited by pilotchute; 16th Sep 2019 at 00:16.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 02:15
  #1090 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: The Pointy End
Posts: 32
Does the E3 only apply to airline ops in the US? Could you get one for Part 91?
DrongoDriver is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 11:00
  #1091 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Brakerider View Post
Are these offers being extended to those outside of the US, or only those already on the E3?
Only E3 as far as I am aware.
TinFoilhat2 is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 11:06
  #1092 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 91
E3

Originally Posted by DrongoDriver View Post
Does the E3 only apply to airline ops in the US? Could you get one for Part 91?
Yes you can for part 91, 135 and 121.

The trick is to get the company to sponsor the visa. Outside of the regionals you will find it is quite difficult if not impossible unless you know somebody personally willing to do it within an organisation.
TinFoilhat2 is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 11:37
  #1093 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 127
Generally speaking only airline ops due to the higher specialisation of an airline role in the eyes of the law. Also there is a shortage of 1500h 121 applicants.... Not part 91 hour builders.

Took a look at Southern Air's pay..... Its up there with the regionals pay. 50hr guarantee at 80 per hour...similar to 50 per hour at a 75 guarantee......

No signing bonus and only $1600 per month as training pay. So less than all regionals....hmmmm

But you get a 737 or 777 rating

So with that in mind it wouldnt surprise me if they are taking aussies.

Oh and based in CVG. Beautiful
Professional Amateur is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 12:59
  #1094 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
Pretty sure E3 if for a specialist occupation. They would look at the qualifications held rather than the position applied for.
I know of biz jet operators hiring H1B pilots so won't rule it out.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 16:00
  #1095 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 147
The pull to Atlas / Southern must be strong for whoever is considering it. I guess the 747 / 777 is a big enough magnet.

It is arguably the worst employer in the industry for the lowest paid wide body job on the planet. No to mention the industrial disputes. Imagine all the friends you'd make on those 15 hour overnight flights when you've inserted yourself into one of the most disgruntled pilot groups in America, on a visa that there is no way in hell they would accept if they had an amicable contract.

umop apisdn is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 18:23
  #1096 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Age: 45
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by umop apisdn View Post
54 pages of thread talking about the experiences of being an Australian on an E3 visa at the regionals and you're wondering if anyone has one?
Yes, because last time I checked, a Bachelor's degree was not a requirement to serve as captain or FO on a commercial flight. And that is the "minimum entry level" in the statute that I quoted. In other words: I'd be interested to learn how you got that approved by USCIS.
ph-sbe is offline  
Old 16th Sep 2019, 18:34
  #1097 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
The job description doesn't need to stipulate a degree but the person apply should have considerable experience in that field.
You are just picking on piloting because there is a bit of a grey area there.

I would say most specialist occupations do require a degree but they can't write the rules to cover every possible scenario.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 30th Sep 2019, 23:29
  #1098 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ewemerica
Posts: 19
Howdy (darn there I go talking like a yank again), errr Gday Chezz, FYI i can’t reply to you until you empty your inbox... cheers. Ralphi
Ralphi is offline  
Old 4th Oct 2019, 14:04
  #1099 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In the soup
Posts: 65
DV Lottery

Green card lottery is open until early November. Good luck everyone!
DropYourSocks is offline  
Old 4th Oct 2019, 16:06
  #1100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 40
Posts: 127
Word of warning. If you're on an e3 visa you are in breach if applying for permanent residency and will likely have your e3 revoked the next time you cross the border.

Last edited by Professional Amateur; 4th Oct 2019 at 19:54.
Professional Amateur is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.