Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 23rd Jun 2018, 22:53
  #621 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ._..._...
Posts: 310
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pilotchute
Anything is possible with a good legal team. Melania trump got a H1B visa.

I think the outcome of your E3 application is only as good as your immigration lawyer.

Legal arguments can twist anything you like.
I wouldn't risk this as your backup ... I had to go and see an immigration attorney once for a small paperwork issue here, and I was quoted a couple thousand as they usually charge in a lump sum (instead of hourly).

If the company you're working for has an immigration attorney, all well and good but do you really think they are going to put this person to work on your case for an extended period of time if the issue is that complex ? Unless you have top gun skills and are 1-of-a-kind pilot, highly unlikely.
vee1-rotate is offline  
Old 24th Jun 2018, 03:11
  #622 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vee1-rotate
Correct ... but when the government makes the rules, they can change/break/do whatever they want with them as they see fit. Having read back through this thread about guys saying they got through the system without the stated requirements, it makes me shudder to think how risky that is.

1 thing I am vary wary of being over here in the US, is if you get a red mark on your record (whether it be your fault, the consulates fault for approving you when they shouldn't have) this can create all kinds of problems trying to get back over here on another work visa (even if all your ducks are in a row) or even as a tourist.
Bingo. Just be fully aware of the score before you jump head first in to the E3 swimming pool As previously mentioned - and I may have been one of the few, I was required to provide evidence of education AND industry experience last time before I was approved, as a number of other folks have too that I know of. It was far from one of these "10 second interviews" some have had some time back.

I know of one airline here that has taken use of a third party to prepare paperwork, not sure if it is same one DSJ mentioned...I can't say I know a lot about that mob but from the folks I know there who are in the process...it sounds like its not impressing them much and is far from a well oiled machine.

Immigration/visa laws and conditions in the US really need to be followed to the letter, they take it extremely seriously. Sadly it will be the applicant that is punished more than the person who approves the visa if happens to go pear shaped. You sure don't want to get on the bad side of Uncle Sam! Good luck to all though! Play it safe guys and gals.
LostWanderer is offline  
Old 24th Jun 2018, 11:10
  #623 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,249
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LostWanderer
Sadly it will be the applicant that is punished more than the person who approves the visa if happens to go pear shaped. You sure don't want to get on the bad side of Uncle Sam! Good luck to all though! Play it safe guys and gals.
Yep, they'll crush you like a bug...and think nothing of it. Sure hope this doesn't stop our Aussie cousins from migrating north. The regional need will continue.
bafanguy is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2018, 00:38
  #624 (permalink)  
Seagull201
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
post from September 2017

Originally Posted by going_up
Hi guys,
I hope you are all doing well! I have had a ton of inquiries from Aussie from all around the world asking about SkyWest. I have been with the company just short of two years now and was fortunate enough to be the first E3 visa pilot at any US airline. I cannot speak highly enough of how great my work/lifestyle is with SkyWest for my wife, little one and myself. Feel free to PM with any questions.
Skywest only just placed the ad on AFAP within the last 24 hours. SkyWest are eager to recruit Australian pilots who meet the E3 and FAA ATP requirements. Long story short, you do not need a degree in aviation, but you need 12 years work experience equivalent. How this works? For ever year of tertiary education (CPL, CIR, META, ATPL, etc) equates to 3 years work experience. So lets say you have been working for 6 years, and it took you 2 years of training to obtain your certificates full time, then you meet the requirements. That being said, a degree obviously covers this requirement without any further experience required but the degree must major in aviation. I am more than happy to help look at anyones situation who is looking to join Skywest.

I have already received a fair few guys emails and have contacted them directly. Feel free to give me a shout.

Thanks once again for all those interested!

Reading back through the posts on this topic, i'd like to know whether the above assumption still applies or is correct?

Does flying training to CPL/I.R/ATPL theory subjects, still count as 2 years, of the so called "4 year degree?"

Meaning,if a person "doesn't have a degree", the 2 years flying training (counts as 2 years of a degree),and 6 years of employment as a pilot,
covers the remaining 2 years of a degree (3 years work experience equals 1 year of a degree).
 
Old 25th Jun 2018, 06:36
  #625 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: elsewhere
Posts: 185
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seagull201
Reading back through the posts on this topic, i'd like to know whether the above assumption still applies or is correct?

Does flying training to CPL/I.R/ATPL theory subjects, still count as 2 years, of the so called "4 year degree?"

Meaning,if a person "doesn't have a degree", the 2 years flying training (counts as 2 years of a degree),and 6 years of employment as a pilot,
covers the remaining 2 years of a degree (3 years work experience equals 1 year of a degree).
i have mates with no degree and 3 years of seasonal ga work who got in?
Flyboy1987 is offline  
Old 25th Jun 2018, 16:28
  #626 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ._..._...
Posts: 310
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyboy1987


i have mates with no degree and 3 years of seasonal ga work who got in?
These are the guys myself and LostWanderer are talking about above ....
vee1-rotate is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 10:54
  #627 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Australasia
Posts: 82
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
CockpitJunkie is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 11:02
  #628 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Australian regionals aren't short. Qlink get plenty of applicants every month. Any lack of line pilots in an Australian airline is due to lack of sims or training staff. Not pilots.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 12:44
  #629 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 441
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CockpitJunkie
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
looks like you havenít read the thread at all
havick is online now  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 16:55
  #630 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: South of the North pole
Posts: 276
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You joking right

Originally Posted by CockpitJunkie
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
Embraer 175 or CRJ 700/900 twin jet time flying in and out of the busiest airports in the world v REX or Sharp airlines on a $H!TTY metro or Saab 340

OKAAAAAAYYY......
Daddy Fantastic is offline  
Old 11th Jul 2018, 22:11
  #631 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 262
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CockpitJunkie
Australian regionals are short, so why go to USA? Skywest USA paying around $37 per flight hour.
Exactly the type of pilot who would benefit from the experience.
Karunch is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 01:56
  #632 (permalink)  
Seagull201
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I've read an in depth news article today, from a US website called "aircraft pilot".
Apparently, the pilot shortage in the U.S regionals is starting to become so severe.

The U.S needs 3,600 new pilots a year now, and every year, MOSTLY in the regionals,
that figure will increase to over 4,000 new pilots needed per year, in 5 years time.

In 10 years time, up to 40% of current airline Captains will retire.
There is a current push, to increase the retirement age from 65 to 67, it appears, it's likely to happen.
 
Old 13th Jul 2018, 04:53
  #633 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 542
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seagull201
I've read an in depth news article today, from a US website called "aircraft pilot".
Apparently, the pilot shortage in the U.S regionals is starting to become so severe.

The U.S needs 3,600 new pilots a year now, and every year, MOSTLY in the regionals,
that figure will increase to over 4,000 new pilots needed per year, in 5 years time.

In 10 years time, up to 40% of current airline Captains will retire.
There is a current push, to increase the retirement age from 65 to 67, it appears, it's likely to happen.

Great if it comes off. Delta/United/Southwest have all cut back recruitment suddenly for reasons unknown but possibly due increasing fuel prices. Iím very skeptical still of the shortage crisis holding up, if it was coming to roost Delta, FedEx etc would have to dumb down their nasa style interviews somewhat.
DUXNUTZ is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 09:09
  #634 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Syria has restarted oil production so the prices will drop again soon.
pilotchute is offline  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 11:08
  #635 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 441
Likes: 0
Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DUXNUTZ



Great if it comes off. Delta/United/Southwest have all cut back recruitment suddenly for reasons unknown but possibly due increasing fuel prices. Iím very skeptical still of the shortage crisis holding up, if it was coming to roost Delta, FedEx etc would have to dumb down their nasa style interviews somewhat.
thats simply due to logjam of training departments and pilots changing fleet types as they are retired (md80ís as an example). The number of retirements remain the same, hiring will be even more critical as s result if the training backlogs.
havick is online now  
Old 13th Jul 2018, 23:47
  #636 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Australia
Posts: 242
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Daddy Fantastic
Embraer 175 or CRJ 700/900 twin jet time flying in and out of the busiest airports in the world v REX or Sharp airlines on a $H!TTY metro or Saab 340

OKAAAAAAYYY......
Love how you omitted the CRJ 200!
umop apisdn is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 01:02
  #637 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 1,243
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because the Metro is such a superior aircraft compared to the CRJ200!
pilotchute is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 07:09
  #638 (permalink)  
Seagull201
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The news article i was reading the other day on my phone, has been found and posted under the thread of "pilot shortage"(Aust &NZ section).
by Captain Curtain Twitcher.
It's interesting reading.
 
Old 14th Jul 2018, 08:14
  #639 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: On the 15th floor
Age: 53
Posts: 378
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Itís great to see Curtain is not keeping us in the dark 👹
kellykelpie is offline  
Old 14th Jul 2018, 10:23
  #640 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,249
Likes: 0
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Latest call for Aussies from CommutAir, dated June 5:


https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/409.html
OK...I screwed up the link. Try this one. Anyone talk to Commutair recently ? They still have a page about E-3s:

E-3 Visa ? Home Page
bafanguy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.