Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Australia, New Zealand & the Pacific Airline and RPT Rumours & News in Australia, enZed and the Pacific

Australian pilots can work for US regionals.

Old 8th Feb 2018, 21:51
  #421 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Outback
Posts: 19
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers bafanguy. Been trying to do as much research as possible, including reading that thread on that forum.
You’re not wrong, although CommutAir has confirmed for me though the sign on bonus is paid to Aussies.
Just trying to see if there are any more positives to fill the positive column...
xaos03 is online now  
Old 8th Feb 2018, 22:05
  #422 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,350
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by xaos03
...CommutAir has confirmed for me though the sign on bonus is paid to Aussies.
Just trying to see if there are any more positives to fill the positive column...
xaos03,

That's good news about the bonus. I didn't see how they could give it to some but not others.

At the regional level, the plus column needs as much help as it can get !
bafanguy is offline  
Old 8th Feb 2018, 23:21
  #423 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under the terms of the E3 visa they have to pay any recipient the same as they would a US Citizen otherwise they breach the terms of the labor agreement (i.e. importing cheaper labor taking away American jobs). This also applies to signing bonuses unless it relates to previous 121 or 135 time.
Aussie_pilot85 is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 00:26
  #424 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think many of the regionals (excluding SkyWest) are very new to this - when I joined it was only SkyWest and PDT offering the E3 visa so many are still learning the rights and wrongs. If anyone experiences similar where they advise during the interview process that Aussies are not entitled to something that Americans are then it might be worth reminding them they can get in trouble for that as it isn't fair to Americans or Aussies doing it that way. If they are found to be underpaying Australians on the E3 they will lose their status which will then impact your employment and visa so it is doing all parties a favor reminding them of their legal responsibilities.
Aussie_pilot85 is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 05:48
  #425 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capt Pay

Hey All,

So I can cope with the Co Pilot pay for a few years at a regional but was wondering if anyone could tell me what the light at the end of the tunnel is.

Specifically what is the base annual salary for a Captain in a regional?

I assume two years plus or minus six months for upgrade. Are those numbers about right.

V close to applying, numbers ticking away.

Thanks in advance!

PA
Professional Amateur is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 06:12
  #426 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depending on the state you live in, regional pay can craft a decent lifestyle here. Keep in mind no bond or type rating payment, thats all free at every regional. CA pay is $60 per hour min across the board and only increasing at the moment, some start in the $70's or $80's. Find a tax free state and after deductions your tax rate will be roughly 20% if that. Case of beer $20, gas $1.00 a litre if that.

Caution to the wind though...everything is great at the moment but the pilot industry is very cyclic. Always have a backup plan either in the US, AUS or anywhere.
Aussie_pilot85 is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 07:45
  #427 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah copy the cyclical moves..... So that works out to be about $80k base, not too bad. But what are guys actually (and realistically) pulling in?

I saw Havick said $150k (in absolute extremis).
Professional Amateur is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 08:47
  #428 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,350
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie_pilot85
Depending on the state you live in, regional pay can craft a decent lifestyle here.
State income tax is something to consider in picking an airline for its bases. There are just a few states that don't have one:

"Seven U.S. states currently don’t have an income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming. And residents of New Hampshire and Tennessee are also spared from handing over an extra chunk of their paycheck on April 15, though they do pay tax on dividends and income from investments."

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/tax...r-worse-1.aspx
bafanguy is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 09:05
  #429 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 453
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Professional Amateur
Yeah copy the cyclical moves..... So that works out to be about $80k base, not too bad. But what are guys actually (and realistically) pulling in?

I saw Havick said $150k (in absolute extremis).
If you sit on your butt as a captain and deliberately avoid flying and just pick up min guarantee you’re looking at about 75-80k.

Most regional captains probably averaging about 100k. If you monkey with scheduling and work the system maybe a little more. Some places add a retention bonus on top.

Someone hustling and being a check airman (not hard to become a check airman in the current climate), 120-150k, maybe more depending on the regional and what they pay when it’s critical coverage.

Time to captain is basically as soon as you can squeeze off 1000 hours flying part 121 ops. Plan on 2-3 months being checked to line at most regionals before flying 90-100 hours a month.
havick is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 09:31
  #430 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney
Age: 42
Posts: 127
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks ks Havick for the info. Was hoping you were lurking in the shadows when I asked the question.

Obviously not taking the job to be a career cp so wanted to get ground truth prior to making the switch.

Happy to hustle...
Professional Amateur is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 10:00
  #431 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 453
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Professional Amateur
Thanks ks Havick for the info. Was hoping you were lurking in the shadows when I asked the question.

Obviously not taking the job to be a career cp so wanted to get ground truth prior to making the switch.

Happy to hustle...
By the way Endeavor just raised their rates by roughly 30% which is the new bar. Most regionals (except maybe Skywest) will raise their rates to match in the next 6-12 months
havick is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 10:31
  #432 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 565
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the regionals take into account time equivalent to Part 121 when considering upgrades?
wishiwasupthere is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 11:02
  #433 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 453
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by wishiwasupthere
Do the regionals take into account time equivalent to Part 121 when considering upgrades?
Read the FARs in part 121. Tells you exactly what time can and can’t be counted towards the 1000 hours.

Generally speaking no time elsewhere counts except for turbojet pic if your flying is from anywhere other than a US operator.
havick is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 11:15
  #434 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,350
Likes: 0
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
Read the FARs in part 121. Tells you exactly what time can and can’t be counted towards the 1000 hours.

Generally speaking no time elsewhere counts except for turbojet pic if your flying is from anywhere other than a US operator.

Here ya go:

see FAR Part 121.436(a)(3)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436

Do some regionals have their own upgrade requirements for hours flown for the specific company that would exceed the FAR criteria ? I think I remember something like that...I think...
bafanguy is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 14:28
  #435 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by havick
By the way Endeavor just raised their rates by roughly 30% which is the new bar. Most regionals (except maybe Skywest) will raise their rates to match in the next 6-12 months
SkyWest management just reopened pay negotiations only 7 months after the previous (extremely poor) pay deal was agreed (July 2017). This is due to Endeavor and particularly Republic getting substantial increases in the past 3 months. However SkyWest are run by investment bankers so don't expect Endeavor rates any time soon.

The next 12-18 months regional life will see plenty of movement, many including SkyWest are taking 'street captains' due to lack of guys on property meeting the 1000 hour rule.
Aussie_pilot85 is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 17:50
  #436 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 453
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Here ya go:

see FAR Part 121.436(a)(3)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/121.436

Do some regionals have their own upgrade requirements for hours flown for the specific company that would exceed the FAR criteria ? I think I remember something like that...I think...
Some do have their own requirements but that mostly gets waived because there’s no one to fill the seats at the moment and for the foreseeable future.
havick is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 20:06
  #437 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: .
Age: 25
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussie_pilot85
SkyWest management just reopened pay negotiations only 7 months after the previous (extremely poor) pay deal was agreed (July 2017). This is due to Endeavor and particularly Republic getting substantial increases in the past 3 months. However SkyWest are run by investment bankers so don't expect Endeavor rates any time soon.

The next 12-18 months regional life will see plenty of movement, many including SkyWest are taking 'street captains' due to lack of guys on property meeting the 1000 hour rule.
I have an interview with Skywest, basically anytime I want to do it.
Unfortunately it seems they don’t pay a sign-on bonus...still worth pursuing, or apply to another?

For an American, it would not matter what aircraft they got on, as they’d just flow onto a Major regardless. I figure for Aussies, we can’t go onto a US Major, so getting time on an aircraft that would lead to more opportunities outside the USA would be more important...I’m keen on the ERJ 175.

Messa has the 175, and pay a sign-on bonus, but I’m told to avoid Messa! Are they really that bad?
It seems they pay heaps more than Skywest, so surely they would be a better option?

MESSA SIGN ON BONUS:
$50,000 Sign-On Bonus

•$22,500 paid after the completion of training*
•$5,000 additional payment for pilots who currently have 500 hours of part 121 flight time in a CRJ, EMB145, or EMB175*
•$2,500 additional payment for pilots who choose the CRJ and currently hold a CL-65 Type Rating*
•$20,000 paid after the completion of Year 3*

Last edited by Jerry Springer; 9th Feb 2018 at 20:30.
Jerry Springer is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 20:29
  #438 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 453
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
I have an interview with Skywest, basically anytime I want to do it.
Unfortunately it seems they don’t pay a sign-on bonus...still worth pursuing, or apply to another?

For an American, it would not matter what aircraft they got on, as they’d just flow onto a Major regardless. I figure for Aussies, we can’t go onto a US Major, so getting time on an aircraft that would lead to more opportunities outside the USA would be more important...I’m keen on the ERJ 175.
Messa has the 175, and pay a sign-on bonus, but I’m told to avoid Messa!
If you’re set on the 175 then compass will assure that type. You mayyy get the 175 with Skywest as they’re flying them with Alaska branding now.

For quick hours/upgrade with average pay go Skywest, they also have a good choice of bases.

If you have any ability to get a green card down the track (family/marriage etc) then goto an AA wholly owned that has a flow through to mainline. The pay is reasonable and has the best travel benefits amongst all the regionals. Piedmont does E3 visas but they’re hugely backlogged in training so it’ll take you a while to get checked to line and start building hours towards upgrade.

Mesa is really the bottom of the barrel by all accounts, the fact they hire over the phone says it all. Apart from the fact they fly 175’s they’re comparable to skippers the way they treat their crews. Their pay is the bottom rung in the regionals.

If you can get in with Endevor with an E3 I personally think they’re the best regional (for the time being, until everyone catches up to their contract). They have the best pay, reserve rules and duty rigs (min pay per day etc). I have no idea whether they hire E3 applicants.

Last edited by havick; 9th Feb 2018 at 20:45.
havick is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 20:48
  #439 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: .
Age: 25
Posts: 100
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Havick...Compass advertise $73,000 for a first year FO. I can’t work out what Skywest pay in total..would you just go with the highest pays out out the two?
Time to Captain would be about the same with each, I assume?
Jerry Springer is offline  
Old 9th Feb 2018, 20:52
  #440 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 453
Likes: 0
Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
Thanks Havick...Compass advertise $73,000 for a first year FO. I can’t work out what Skywest pay in total..would you just go with the highest pays out out the two?
Time to Captain would be about the same with each, I assume?
Compass is less stable than Skywest as they’re a contract carrier just like Skywest. However compass has all their eggs in just two baskets whereas Skywest owns most of their own planes and have them spread out through a bunch of different carriers. Skywest is also larger so over time you will have more flexibility to move around bases etc and you will be more shielded from wins/loss of contracts and bases opening/closing on a whim. Pay at Skywest is probably less than compass in the short term but you will probably upgrade much quicker at Skywest and then make it back up.

Republic airlines is also a good option if they take E3 visas as they run exclusively 175’s for variety of carriers also. Upgrade times are a little longer but dropping.
havick is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.