PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

PDXCWL45
4th Nov 2019, 20:41
Hope to god we will see something else for CWL over the next few weeks/months.....the reintroduction of a daily ABZ via NCL is good but I really would have though FR would have added something new for 2020.
There was a rumour about Lauda adding PMI but nothing seems to have happened yet or if it will. Even if that happens I wouldn't expect anything else. The airlines have bigger fish to fry elsewhere unfortunately.

bycrewlgw
7th Nov 2019, 11:47
First trench of routes released but certainly not all (I hope). :-) doesn’t appear to be a full programme as of yet.

PDXCWL45
7th Nov 2019, 13:04
Winter 2020/21 for TUI
Paphos 1 weekly Wednesday (doesn't operate in December, January and February except 24/2/21)
Alicante 2 weekly Tuesday and Saturday
Gran Canaria 1 weekly Saturday
Lanzarote 2 weekly Sunday and Thursday
Malaga 1 weekly Sunday
Tenerife South 3 weekly Monday, Tuesday and Friday
10 weekly flights but only 9 in December, January and February.

Dubai Al Maktoum 1 departure 18/1/21
Barbados 2 departures 28/2/21 and 28/3/21
Jamaica 1 departure 2/2/21

PDXCWL45
8th Nov 2019, 15:01
Cardiff Airport is going to build it's own solar farm to provide it's power.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/11/08/solar-pv-farm-to-be-installed-at-cardiff-airport/

VickersVicount
8th Nov 2019, 20:45
Cardiff Airport is going to build it's own solar farm to provide it's power.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/11/08/solar-pv-farm-to-be-installed-at-cardiff-airport/
Not sure it would be what I would be spending subsidised funding on at this particular moment, 'climate crisis' or not...

PDXCWL45
9th Nov 2019, 02:49
Not sure it would be what I would be spending subsidised funding on at this particular moment, 'climate crisis' or not...

Well if the airport wants to continue to become a more environmentally friendly airport a cleaner source of energy is going to be part of that. Not every penny the airport has can be spent on airlines.

ATNotts
9th Nov 2019, 09:03

I suppose it depends upon whether you believe air traffic growth, or the climate and future for our kids and grand kinds is the priority. The flooding in my part of the world over the past 24 hours, and previous events this winter are almost unprecedented, and while I don't believe that anyone, other than perhaps the extremists would advocate stopping aviation altogether anything airports can do to reduce carbon emissions from non aviation activities will only help the cause of aviation in the future.

zoomboy
9th Nov 2019, 12:43
Anybody know the size of area of the solar farm? I would guess it's going on the south side around the old 04 runway.

PDXCWL45
10th Nov 2019, 20:00
So some slightly good news from Vueling for April 2020, Malaga and Mallorca have been increased to match the rest of the summer.
Malaga will now operate 4 weekly in April and Mallorca 3 weekly in April with Wednesday flights added for both.
So now Malaga will be 4 weekly all summer on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Mallorca will be 3 weekly all summer on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Alicante remains 6 weekly with no flight on Fridays.
Vueling will operate 13 weekly flights altogether. (It was 15 weekly in 2019).

Letsflycwl
10th Nov 2019, 20:04
Well I guess that’s something positive for 2020, anymore news with Lauda or is that a no no ?

I would have thought TUI would have offered more than what they’ve already announced considering they rule the roost at CWL with Thomas Cook out of the equation.

PDXCWL45
10th Nov 2019, 20:33
Well I guess that’s something positive for 2020, anymore news with Lauda or is that a no no ?

I would have thought TUI would have offered more than what they’ve already announced considering they rule the roost at CWL with Thomas Cook out of the equation.
Nothing on Lauda. If nothing happens with it in the next 2 weeks i would say it's not happening.

TUI was disappointing the extra seats they announced only covered what they Ryanair and Vueling cut so not making a dent in Thomas Cook. It appears that they have bigger fish to fry than Cardiff and are just settling for higher yields. So it looks like Cardiff will be the only Thomas Cook base not to have most of the lost capacity replaced unless there is some sort of miracle still to come.

Letsflycwl
10th Nov 2019, 20:53
I’m quite shocked that Ryanair have not added anything new for CWL, I would have expected to see them offer something extra to compensate the TFS loss.

Just hope things don’t go backwards for CWL after all the positive work over the last few years.....would really love to see one new airline at CWL along with most folk I guess - notably Jet2 or even Wizz UK as the bucket & spade routes would serve them so well.

PDXCWL45
10th Nov 2019, 21:12
I’m quite shocked that Ryanair have not added anything new for CWL, I would have expected to see them offer something extra to compensate the TFS loss.

Just hope things don’t go backwards for CWL after all the positive work over the last few years.....would really love to see one new airline at CWL along with most folk I guess - notably Jet2 or even Wizz UK as the bucket & spade routes would serve them so well.
If I remember correctly with Ryanair after they added Faro they waited a year until adding more so maybe we'll see more expansion in 2021 but the MAX situation and base closures won't help not to mention high competition from other airports for those flights many with advantages over Cardiff.

New airline wise I wouldn't hold out hope unless they can pull off an unexpected one like say SAS or Swiss or Volotea as examples, I'd expect any growth to come from the ones already serving Cardiff mainly TUI and Ryanair and KLM but maybe Loganair and Qatar and Flybe as well. The airport will likely have to take steps back to move forward again.

Letsflycwl
11th Nov 2019, 18:25
I imagine (and hope to god) that CWL management are out there dangling those carrots, they did so well securing QR. Surely they must be trying to entice more from FR for starters. Jet2 would truly be amazing but guess any offering would be worth while to fill the Thomas Cook gap.

PDXCWL45
11th Nov 2019, 20:17
I imagine (and hope to god) that CWL management are out there dangling those carrots, they did so well securing QR. Surely they must be trying to entice more from FR for starters. Jet2 would truly be amazing but guess any offering would be worth while to fill the Thomas Cook gap.

I do think over time they'll secure more from FR maybe not a base but they could surprise us!
I do think that the airport will concentrate on TUI to fill the TCX gap, hopefully they can persuade them to base a 4th aircraft in 2021.

Letsflycwl
11th Nov 2019, 20:32
Are TUI fully committed though ? Only 30,000 extra seats next year but still not as busy as this year even with no competition from Thomas Cook. TUI added loads more capacity to other UK Airports for Summer 2020 compared to CWL. Not that I’m rubbishing their capacity but surely they would have seen the potential to literally rule CWL next year......I don’t know, maybe there is more to come from TUI who knows.

Then there is Virgin Connect.....what do they have up their sleeves for CWL next year....just hope they don’t reduce capacity anymore and maybe even add the VRN as it can be done on the Dash 8

PDXCWL45
11th Nov 2019, 20:43
Are TUI fully committed though ? Only 30,000 extra seats next year but still not as busy as this year even with no competition from Thomas Cook. TUI added loads more capacity to other UK Airports for Summer 2020 compared to CWL. Not that I’m rubbishing their capacity but surely they would have seen the potential to literally rule CWL next year......I don’t know, maybe there is more to come from TUI who knows.

Then there is Virgin Connect.....what do they have up their sleeves for CWL next year....just hope they don’t reduce capacity anymore and maybe even add the VRN as it can be done on the Dash 8
I get the feeling with TUI that they had bigger fish to fry than Cardiff for Summer 2020 but maybe they'd be more willing for 2021? Only time will tell.
As for Virgin Connect/Flybe I suspect it'll just be the same as winter with maybe a few more CDG flights and Belfast flights and hopefully Verona!

PDXCWL45
13th Nov 2019, 13:15
Flybe Summer 2020 will be released tomorrow but flights have been onsale on skyscanner and this is what i was able to find out. Just a disclaimer that if it's not 100% accurate i'll ammend tomorrow or Friday.
Edinburgh 18 weekly
Dublin 18 weekly
Belfast City 7 weekly
Paris CDG 7 weekly
Jersey 5 weekly
Cork 3 weekly
That comes to 58 weekly departures.
Geneva only operates on the 4th and 11th April and Chambery doesn't operate in April.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like any of the Italy routes will survive, i was hoping they might do Verona but it looks like the airport will have to look elsewhere.

Letsflycwl
14th Nov 2019, 23:06
With Loganair now pulling their GLA-SEN route, it would be nice to have a double daily GLA-CWL route in lieu. Guess they’ll decide all of what once the new route begins in February.

PDXCWL45
15th Nov 2019, 08:49
With Loganair now pulling their GLA-SEN route, it would be nice to have a double daily GLA-CWL route in lieu. Guess they’ll decide all of what once the new route begins in February.
Would be nice but I'd be surprised if there was the demand for 2 daily yet. Maybe once they've become established on the route they may look at it? Though saying that it's 2 daily on Fridays and Sundays.

PDXCWL45
15th Nov 2019, 14:05
CAA Stats September 2019
188,359 passengers used the airport up 5% on September 2018. The rolling year is 1,670,000 which is up 7.05% on a year ago.
Top 10 routes
1. Palma de Mallorca 16,679
2. Malaga 14,662
3. Amsterdam 13,982
4. Alicante 11,541
5. Edinburgh 10,388
6. Doha 9030
7. Dublin 8058
8. Dalaman 7161
9. Paris CDG 7144
10. Tenerife South 6951

Letsflycwl
15th Nov 2019, 15:07
Good to see the QR route with healthy passenger numbers - the CWL figures are only a few hundred behind the BHX-DOH figures.

OltonPete
16th Nov 2019, 23:03
Good to see the QR route with healthy passenger numbers - the CWL figures are only a few hundred behind the BHX-DOH figures.

BHX - DOH was 10346 in September & Cardiff 9030 = difference 1316. I would be careful quoting a few hundred difference when it is well over a thousand, as you might get a call from team Boris :)

True though much better figures for Cardiff - Doha. I make the Cardiff load factor 59%, BHX 68%, Manchester around 72-73% and Edinburgh 63% - none of which are hardy stellar.

Pete

VickersVicount
17th Nov 2019, 07:52
BHX - DOH was 10346 in September & Cardiff 9030 = difference 1316. I would be careful quoting a few hundred difference when it is well over a thousand, as you might get a call from team Boris :)

True though much better figures for Cardiff - Doha. I make the Cardiff load factor 59%, BHX 68%, Manchester around 72-73% and Edinburgh 63% - none of which are hardy stellar.

Pete
The poster only mentioned one way (which would be half the inbound/outbound CAA quoted figure), so would be 'in the hundreds'.

59% for CWL and 63% for EDI is verging on criminal!

PDXCWL45
17th Nov 2019, 07:59
The poster only mentioned one way (which would be half the inbound/outbound CAA quoted figure), so would be 'in the hundreds'.

59% for CWL and 63% for EDI is verging on criminal!

Well Qatar seem happy enough with it! I would not be surprised if they added more flights! Lol

jubilee
17th Nov 2019, 09:56
OP.
With reference to your quoted percentage figures for Qatar. Manchester has multi flights per day, today for instance:- 777 on the morning flight, A350 on the lunch time run and a 787 on the evening service.

So the the 73% is actual a fair number of passengers each day in comparison to the one flight from Cardiff and other airports.

Not complaining, just trying to balance the figures.

J

OltonPete
17th Nov 2019, 11:47
OP.
With reference to your quoted percentage figures for Qatar. Manchester has multi flights per day, today for instance:- 777 on the morning flight, A350 on the lunch time run and a 787 on the evening service.

So the the 73% is actual a fair number of passengers each day in comparison to the one flight from Cardiff and other airports.

Not complaining, just trying to balance the figures.

J

That is fair enough and as we will never know yields. the load factor is the only aspect most people can use to compare with similar services and certainly the BHX, CWL and EDI don't come anywhere near what is "usual" for other medium/long-haul carriers (See EK) but as we know Qatar is not "usual" or "ordinary".

I know there is always case for expanding to improve yields, market share and to offer better connections and Qatar don't shy away from this especially at Manchester, Edinburgh and Gatwick. I for one know passengers that have used Qatar at Manchester over Birmingham despite living on the BHX's doorstep due to the fact the multiple daily departures at MAN offer better connections in Doha on the days and times they wanted. I am sure they are happy with Manchester figures otherwise they would be operating as many as they are.

VV - Quote "the CWL figures are only a few hundred behind the BHX-DOH figures" end of quote. Just not how I read it and Is there a way of knowing the inbound and outbound split ? Surely in theory it could be 1000 difference outbound and 316 difference inbound. Unlikely I know as most make return journeys but most times it is the totally monthly figure quoted. At the end of the day the difference is 1316 per the CAA stats

Pete

PDXCWL45
18th Nov 2019, 18:03
National airport for Wales to take over passenger services operations at Anglesey Airporthttps://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/11/18/national-airport-for-wales-to-take-over-passenger-services-operations-at-anglesey-airport/

PDXCWL45
19th Nov 2019, 11:29
Eastern Airways have added a Sunday flight to Aberdeen and Newcastle.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/11/19/cardiff-sunday-flights-added-to-newcastle-and-aberdeen/

daz211
19th Nov 2019, 12:49
Would be nice to see a link to STN, from Anglesey, with all the possibilities on self connection at STN it would be an amazing addition to Valley Airport.

SWBKCB
19th Nov 2019, 16:25
Would be nice to see a link to STN, from Anglesey, with all the possibilities on self connection at STN it would be an amazing addition to Valley Airport.

Looking forward to reading the business case...

PDXCWL45
19th Nov 2019, 16:39
Looking forward to reading the business case...
I remember when Carwyn Jones was FM he mentioned Heathrow when the third runway opened but I'm pretty sure it'll never happen.

caaardiff
19th Nov 2019, 18:29
Not many people want to self connect. STN only really offers loco and charter self connections. Self connecting as you put it is very risky if anything goes wrong on the way. LGW or LHR would offer a much better range of connection options and with underlining or through connection is a lot safer. That being said, MAN is easily accessible by train and road from North Wales.

daz211
19th Nov 2019, 19:05
Not many people want to self connect. STN only really offers loco and charter self connections. Self connecting as you put it is very risky if anything goes wrong on the way. LGW or LHR would offer a much better range of connection options and with underlining or through connection is a lot safer. That being said, MAN is easily accessible by train and road from North Wales.
I’ll think you’ll find 100’s self connect through STN everyday and believe it or not, getting to MAN from Anglesey is not that easy by train, maybe if there was direct services it might be different.

caaardiff
19th Nov 2019, 20:55
I’ll think you’ll find 100’s self connect through STN everyday and believe it or not, getting to MAN from Anglesey is not that easy by train, maybe if there was direct services it might be different.

Not from Anglesey, but there is an hourly train from Llandudno which is part of the catchment area that VLY would serve.

STN is a huge Airport with 100's of flights a day from many different markets. Bearing in mind the opening time of VLY, would a twice daily flight really be timed sufficiently for anyone to self connect and would the North West of Wales really support such flights?
The market that STN serves is mainly low cost Airlines or charter. Unless the VLY-STN is subsidised, which it will highly unlikely be allowed to be, then the cost of operating that flight would result in high flight costs.

PDXCWL45
22nd Nov 2019, 08:01
CAA Stats for October 2019
137,203 passengers used the airport in October down 2.1% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,667,098 passengers up 6.4% on 2018.
Atm's were 1365 -11.8%.
Top 10 routes
1. Amsterdam 14,258
2. Palma de Mallorca 11,532
3. Alicante 10,813
4. Edinburgh 10,427
5. Malaga 9356
6. Dublin 8128
7. Doha 7387
8. Tenerife 6353
9. Paris CDG 6246
10. Faro 5513

bycrewlgw
22nd Nov 2019, 16:32
Not bad figures for the month and year considering. Guess we will have to wait until this time next year to see the real hit from TCXs demise. Hope the airport can pull a few more routes out of the bag before then.

whats going on with TUI? Holidays announced for winter 20/21 and summer 21 but seems well down with routes cut if that is the final version? Hoping they’ll announce more just seems strange.

PDXCWL45
22nd Nov 2019, 18:20
Not bad figures for the month and year considering. Guess we will have to wait until this time next year to see the real hit from TCXs demise. Hope the airport can pull a few more routes out of the bag before then.

whats going on with TUI? Holidays announced for winter 20/21 and summer 21 but seems well down with routes cut if that is the final version? Hoping they’ll announce more just seems strange.
I'd be surprised if any new routes came now, maybe some airlines will add frequencies on current routes fingers crossed.

As for TUI winter is roughly the same as 2019/20, they never seem to really offer much beyond a basic schedule during winter with 1 based aircraft.
Summer 2021 is only the first release so I'd expect some more at a later date.
I think CWL will now start looking towards 2021 and trying to get a 4th based aircraft from TUI and more from the other airlines that serve it.

PDXCWL45
28th Nov 2019, 08:35
NEW ROUTE
TUI have put Sharm el Sheikh onsale for winter 2020/21 from Cardiff_Airport 1 weekly on Mondays.

Letsflycwl
28th Nov 2019, 12:16
I assume the SSH will replace the HRG ? Or are we having both of them ?

PDXCWL45
28th Nov 2019, 12:34
I assume the SSH will replace the HRG ? Or are we having both of them ?
HRG doesn't operate in the winter only summer but isn't onsale for summer 2021 and to be honest I'd be surprised if Sharm el Sheikh for the winter actually happens!

PDXCWL45
30th Nov 2019, 18:17
Wales Euro 2020 draw
v Switzerland in Baku 13/6/20
v Turkey in Baku 17/6/20
v Italy in Rome 21/6/20
Cardiff airport should hopefully see a decent amount of charters for those games especially Rome and hopefully we'll see some 737 flights from KLM fingers crossed!

PDXCWL45
10th Dec 2019, 18:02
I noticed a few interesting numbers in the article linked below about the Qatar Airways route at CWL. I've highlighted what i feel are key points.
From May to October 2019 the route saw 50,000 passengers use it which was an increase of 6,000 up 13.5% on 2018.
The split of passengers is 52% originating from the UK and 48% are visitors, also 18% of the UK passengers are from England, for the airport as a whole 4% of it's passengers are from England.
11% of the passengers use the route for Business and 89% for leisure.
The most popular final destinations from Cardiff are Doha 11%, Bangkok 10%, Perth and Sydney 6%, Bali 4% and Kuwait, Lahore, Kuala Lumpur and Amristar all at 3% and Auckland 2%.
Inbound the route is attracting more numbers especially from Qatar and also Oman and Kuwait.
It was noted that the route isn't maximising it's freight potential especially outbound and that the popularity of Thailand could be exploited more especially in the winter and that there was a good opportunity for Wales fans travelling to New Zealand in the summer to use the route.
With the route 18 months old the figures are encouraging that the route is maturing well compared to Birmingham and is on track for it's 4 year maturity level. The question then will be whether Qatar deploy bigger aircraft or add frequency if the route gets to the maturity level needed.
https://www.business-live.co.uk/economic-development/how-many-people-flying-qatar-17396007?utm_source=businesslive_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Link114&utm_campaign=wales_newsletter&fbclid=IwAR0TKtcdgNG7nmGRo1uYktcocN-NR7khddxb2cNek9Hkbr9YjQMqS4Hw_2A

PDXCWL45
16th Dec 2019, 10:01
Summer 2020 from Cardiff Airport airlines, routes, frequencies and days operated.
KLM
Amsterdam 20 weekly 3 daily except on Sunday when it's 2 daily.
Qatar Airways
Doha 7 weekly 1 daily flight.
Flybe
Edinburgh 18 weekly 3 daily Monday to Friday, 1 daily on Saturdays, 2 daily Sunday.
Dublin 18 weekly 3 daily Monday to Friday, 1 daily on Saturdays, 2 daily Sunday.
Belfast City 7 weekly 1 daily flight
Paris CDG 7 weekly 1 daily flight
Jersey 5 weekly Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Cork 3 weekly Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.
Loganair
Glasgow 8 weekly daily Monday to Thursday, 2 daily Friday and Sunday, no flight on Saturday.
Eastern Airways (Flybe Franchise)
Anglesey 10 weekly 2 daily Monday to Friday no flights on the weekend.
Aberdeen 6 weekly does not operate on Saturdays.
Newcastle 6 weekly does not operate on Saturdays.
BH Air
Burgas 1 weekly Sunday
Vueling
Malaga 4 weekly Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Mallorca 3 weekly Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.
Alicante 6 weekly no flight on Fridays.
Ryanair
Barcelona 2 weekly Tuesday and Saturday.
Faro 2 weekly Monday and Friday.
Malta 2 weekly Wednesday and Sunday.
Malaga 3 weekly Monday, Wednesday and Friday but only for June, July and August.
TUI
PMI 6 weekly Sunday, Monday, 2 daily on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday
Menorca 2 weekly Monday and Friday
Ibiza 3 weekly Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
Alicante 2 weekly Tuesday and Saturday
Malaga 2 weekly Sunday and Wednesday
Lanzarote 2 weekly Sunday and Thursday
Tenerife 3 weekly Monday, Tuesday and Friday
Reus 1 weekly Tuesday
Faro 1 weekly Thursday
Hurghada 1 weekly Monday
Enfidha 1 weekly Friday
Burgas 1 weekly Monday
Gran Canaria 1 weekly Thursday and Saturday
Corfu 2 weekly Monday and Friday
Zante 2 weekly Tuesday and Friday
Rhodes 2 weekly Wednesday and Saturday
Kos 2 weekly Wednesday and Saturday
Kefalonia 1 weekly Tuesday
Heraklion 1 weekly Sunday
Paphos 2 weekly Sunday and Wednesday
Dalaman 3 weekly Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
Antalya 2 weekly Sunday and Thursday
Dubrovnik 1 weekly Thursday
Naples 1 weekly Wednesday
Larnaca 1 weekly Sunday

supermarine
16th Dec 2019, 13:56
There is a massive Tenerife sized hole in this schedule :rolleyes:

PDXCWL45
16th Dec 2019, 14:04
There is a massive Tenerife sized hole in this schedule :rolleyes:
Yep a loss of 2 weekly flights with Ryanair pulling the route and Thomas Cook going bust.

Letsflycwl
19th Dec 2019, 21:25
Have Loganair increased the GLA frequency to x2 daily as of March 2020?

Seen some posts lately confirming this.....you’d have thought CWL would be advertising this on their webpage......12 flights a week is much better all round.

PDXCWL45
19th Dec 2019, 23:32
Have Loganair increased the GLA frequency to x2 daily as of March 2020?

Seen some posts lately confirming this.....you’d have thought CWL would be advertising this on their webpage......12 flights a week is much better all round.
Looks like that they are adding extra flights Monday to Thursday.

Letsflycwl
20th Dec 2019, 08:36
Well that’s better than a kick in the teeth - you’d have thought CWL would have announced thus informing potential customers of this increase.

PDXCWL45
20th Dec 2019, 10:42
Well that’s better than a kick in the teeth - you’d have thought CWL would have announced thus informing potential customers of this increase.
Actually looking at it, it might be that they are changing the times to an evening flight as the 12.15 departure says sold out.

PDXCWL45
24th Dec 2019, 17:33
CAA Stats November 2019
81,371 passengers used the airport in November down 4.6% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,663,201 up 5.7% on 2018.
Atms were 1021 down 5.2% on 2018.
1. Amsterdam 13,667
2. Edinburgh 9136
3. Tenerife South 8007
4. Dublin 7935
5. Alicante 7527
6. Doha 6486
7. Paris CDG 3994
8. Malaga 3620
9. Belfast City 3503
10. Arrecife 2984

bycrewlgw
24th Dec 2019, 18:48
CAA Stats November 2019
81,371 passengers used the airport in November down 4.6% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,663,201 up 5.7% on 2018.
Atms were 1021 down 5.2% on 2018.
1. Amsterdam 13,667
2. Edinburgh 9136
3. Tenerife South 8007
4. Dublin 7935
5. Alicante 7527
6. Doha 6486
7. Paris CDG 3994
8. Malaga 3620
9. Belfast City 3503
10. Arrecife 2984

just goes to show what a hit it’s going to be with the BE loss. Next year will be interesting with the TCX loss too...

Healthy 24% increase on the DOH flights 👍🏻

PDXCWL45
24th Dec 2019, 19:04
just goes to show what a hit it’s going to be with the BE loss. Next year will be interesting with the TCX loss too...

Healthy 24% increase on the DOH flights 👍🏻

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Doha and Edinburgh seem to have compensated a bit for it.

PDXCWL45
5th Jan 2020, 09:12
TUI have cut the Thursday Gran Canaria reducing this route back to 1 weekly for Cardiff Airport.
They have replaced it with Antalya which will now be on a based aircraft.
As a result TUI will operate 46 instead of 47 weekly departures. 3 on non based aircraft.
This is for summer 2020.

Letsflycwl
5th Jan 2020, 10:05
I’m guessing there will be a 3rd party airline on one of the PMI routes too as the TUI search states “Other Carrier”

So is it just AYT & PMI that are going to be operated by another airline or anything else ?

Im guessing that Freebird may/will operate AYT but who would do PMI ? We’ve previously had Eurowings and AlbaStar.

PDXCWL45
5th Jan 2020, 11:17
I’m guessing there will be a 3rd party airline on one of the PMI routes too as the TUI search states “Other Carrier”

So is it just AYT & PMI that are going to be operated by another airline or anything else ?

Im guessing that Freebird may/will operate AYT but who would do PMI ? We’ve previously had Eurowings and AlbaStar.
Dalaman on Sundays is down as other carrier as well.

Letsflycwl
5th Jan 2020, 11:23
So I’m betting the Turkish flights may be with Freebird then.....that just leaves the PMI

Not that long to go so I’d have hoped they be confirming this soon

PDXCWL45
5th Jan 2020, 11:48
So I’m betting the Turkish flights may be with Freebird then.....that just leaves the PMI

Not that long to go so I’d have hoped they be confirming this soon
The non based PMI will be interesting! Last time it was Eurowings before that Albastar. Lauda also have a base there now so whether they would operate charters?
Personally I'd have hoped that TUI would use Vueling more so they increased their frequency and TUI could use their aircraft to increase frequency on other routes which need it like Faro.

Letsflycwl
5th Jan 2020, 12:04
I thought that Lauda / Ryanair would have operated a PMI route for Summer 2020, maybe 2021 who knows but not too sure who TUI will use this year especially as it’s only 4 or so months away.......and not many carriers left out there really either.

PDXCWL45
5th Jan 2020, 13:32
I thought that Lauda / Ryanair would have operated a PMI route for Summer 2020, maybe 2021 who knows but not too sure who TUI will use this year especially as it’s only 4 or so months away.......and not many carriers left out there really either.
There was a credible Twitter rumour about Lauda launching PMI for Summer 2020 but it doesn't seem to have happened. Hopefully it'll happen in 2021 though I'd much prefer a Ryanair base or Jet2 base being launched in 2021!

Letsflycwl
5th Jan 2020, 14:21
With the sad loss of Thomas Cool a new base by either Ryanair or Jet2 should be the focus of CWL now, EZY would be a big no no because of BRS (still baffles me though why they don’t do a “W” pattern on 1 or 2 routes a week.

Whoever CWL chase would have the rule of the roost really at CWL with only TUI to compete against......

Fingers crossed all round for something positive

shamrock7seal
6th Jan 2020, 14:55
I wonder if a Jet2 Summer 2021 base would be feasible?

Letsflycwl
6th Jan 2020, 15:36
I wonder if a Jet2 Summer 2021 base would be feasible?

I’m sure CWL management could offer them some sort of deal they could not say no too, but then other than the success in securing QR things seem to have gone super quiet.

Jet2 would be a great fit for both CWL and also the airline with a small base for starters and will provide Jet2 with full UK cover but then there are the other airports in the area, BRS, EXT & BOH which I guess would also love a Jet2 presence.

It will all be what deal they can get and whether or not they actually want to expand into the South West region.

PDXCWL45
6th Jan 2020, 17:36
I don't see why a Jet2 base wouldn't be feasible whether they would launch one in 2021 only they would know. Out of the 2 airlines of Ryanair and Jet2, Jet2 probably would be the better fit because like Cardiff itself they are a very seasonal airline whereas although Ryanair would provide more of a balanced airport they would potentially want to get more use out of any based aircraft in the winter.

yeo valley
6th Jan 2020, 18:03
A small base of say 2 aircraft on paper should work with plenty of adverts on radio and tv,plus on bill boards around Cardiff city and beyond. Now to advertise don't come gheap in any sort of form. Weater jet 2 wold set a base of 2 aircraft up and the cost of advertisments around I would say cost would be too much.But who knows the airlines work in weird ways these days.

PDXCWL45
6th Jan 2020, 18:10
A small base of say 2 aircraft on paper should work with plenty of adverts on radio and tv,plus on bill boards around Cardiff city and beyond. Now to advertise don't come gheap in any sort of form. Weater jet 2 wold set a base of 2 aircraft up and the cost of advertisments around I would say cost would be too much.But who knows the airlines work in weird ways these days.
With advertising I'd imagine that the airport would bear some of the cost of that and they already have very good awareness in the area already.

Letsflycwl
6th Jan 2020, 18:13

Prior to the arrival of Qatar Airways the advertising of airlines at CWL around the area has been pretty poor....BMI baby did the weather reports and that’s all I can really remember. Air Southwest has some flimsy banners at Cardiff Central Station and I also remember FlyGlobespan advertising on some taxis.

If and I’m saying if Jet2 were to come to CWL advertising and marketing would need to be full on but a 2 aircraft base would do rather well. Ski & City breaks to PRG, KRK & SZG then the usual bucket and spade destinations in the summer.....Just my opinion but it certainly needs to be advertised.

MerchantVenturer
6th Jan 2020, 21:18
With the loss of Thomas Cook CWL is in need of a boost to its passenger numbers. Its owners the Welsh Government have said more than once that, as with other smaller airports, its fixed costs are disproportionately high compared with busier airports, and greater footfall is required to feed the ancillary revenue streams.

Either Jet2 or a substantially expanded Ryanair presence would be a good capture and provide the much-needed significant increase in passenger throughput. In the earlier years of this century CWL was handling tens of thousands more passengers per year on a number of routes than is currently the case so there is a strong argument to say that these routes are under-served or, in some cases, non-existent at present.

The latest CWL financial results show how urgent the need is in terms of the airport's profitability. Pre-tax losses have nearly trebled to £18.5 million compared with the previous year, although about half the loss is a write-down on the value of intangible assets such as intellectual property and brand recognition. The airport said that global economic factors including climate change, uncertainty over Brexit and rising fuel prices had impacted on the aviation sector.

Positive aspects included turnover increasing by £3 million to nearly £21 million, the airport contributing £250 million to the Welsh economy each year as well as sustaining 2,400 airport-related jobs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50955180

PDXCWL45
10th Jan 2020, 20:02
KLM have upgraded the 17.15 evening departure to an E190 Monday to Friday except in July and August. So that means on Tuesdays and Fridays all 3 departures will be E190s.
That means 12 of the weekly departures will be on the E190.

Letsflycwl
10th Jan 2020, 20:10
KLM have upgraded the 17.15 evening departure to an E190 Monday to Friday except in July and August. So that means on Tuesdays and Fridays all 3 departures will be E190s.
That means 12 of the weekly departures will be on the E190.

Good news there from KLM, great to see a continued increase in the size of the aircraft. Next step will be having the B737 back maybe.

yeo valley
11th Jan 2020, 07:41
Good news there from KLM, great to see a continued increase in the size of the aircraft. Next step will be having the B737 back maybe.
I would say next step would be all rotations on a E190.

PDXCWL45
11th Jan 2020, 08:11
I would say next step would be all rotations on a E190.
It does appear to be that is where KLM are heading. 3 daily E190s would be fantastic and I guess then it would have to decided whether to add a 4th daily or upgrade to 737.

PDXCWL45
12th Jan 2020, 10:47
Just to add it looks like that during September and October with the exception of the last week of October Wednesday and Thursday will also be 3 daily E190s. So 4 days out of 7 Cardiff will have 3 daily E190 flights.

Letsflycwl
12th Jan 2020, 12:37
Just to add it looks like that during September and October with the exception of the last week of October Wednesday and Thursday will also be 3 daily E190s. So 4 days out of 7 Cardiff will have 3 daily E190 flights.

KLM & their predecessors have shown a steady increase in aircraft size over the years starting off with Netherlines J31 & SF3, NLM F27, then City Hopper with SF3, F50, F70 and now the Embraers. They are obviously happy with the route and passenger loads.

Letsflycwl
13th Jan 2020, 17:38
Such a shame about the current Flybe situation, not just for CWL but for the whole of the UK.

All this press attention are not going to do it any good......they did some good things for CWL and opened up quite a lot of new destinations before the Embraers left and the base closed.

Should the worse happen, what next for CWL and the BE routes? Who could/would/want to taken them over??

ABZ - Eastern
VLY - Eastern
BHD - ??
CMF - TUI?
ORK - Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
DUB - Ryanair / Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
EDI - Loganair?
GVA - TUI?
JER - Blue Islands? Eastern?
NCL - Eastern
CDG - Air France?

Or are we going to see Virgin/Stobart step in to the safe the day should BE fold......as someone said on a previous page similar to BMI Regional and Loganair situation.

flyerguy
13th Jan 2020, 18:04
Such a shame about the current Flybe situation, not just for CWL but for the whole of the UK.

All this press attention are not going to do it any good......they did some good things for CWL and opened up quite a lot of new destinations before the Embraers left and the base closed.

Should the worse happen, what next for CWL and the BE routes? Who could/would/want to taken them over??

ABZ - Eastern
VLY - Eastern
BHD - ??
CMF - TUI?
ORK - Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
DUB - Aer Lingus Regional / Stobart
EDI - Loganair?
GVA - TUI?
JER - Blue Islands? Eastern?
NCL - Eastern
CDG - Air France?

Could possibly see Loganair have a go at BHD. Some speculation as to what will happen to Blue Islands at the moment, as they only operate the aircraft on behalf of Flybe, whether they’d go back to their ‘old’ in house operations or stop altogether.

HH6702
13th Jan 2020, 18:56
NCL is a eastern airplane anyway

Letsflycwl
13th Jan 2020, 18:58
NCL is a eastern airplane anyway

Yes Eastern base a J41 at CWL that operates the x2 daily VLY and the x1 daily NCL/ABZ.

PDXCWL45
13th Jan 2020, 19:27
I could see Loganair takeover Edinburgh and Belfast but Cork Jersey Chambery and Geneva I'd say would be lost and Dublin and Paris CDG might be tricky to retain as well. With Dublin the obvious candidates would be Aer Lingus and Ryanair but both might choose to add frequency at Bristol instead and Paris it would be Air France but they might not consider Cardiff important enough to operate to and just be happy routing people through Amsterdam. Hopefully we won't have to find out if Cardiff can attract them!

Letsflycwl
13th Jan 2020, 19:41
I could see Loganair takeover Edinburgh and Belfast but Cork Jersey Chambery and Geneva I'd say would be lost and Dublin and Paris CDG might be tricky to retain as well. With Dublin the obvious candidates would be Aer Lingus and Ryanair but both might choose to add frequency at Bristol instead and Paris it would be Air France but they might not consider Cardiff important enough to operate to and just be happy routing people through Amsterdam. Hopefully we won't have to find out if Cardiff can attract them!

Times like this wish we still had Air Wales around (an organised and profitable version of course). Before BMI baby appeared Air Wales planned to operate both EDI & GLA. They also served BHD, ORK, DUB, JER and no doubt CDG would have fitted in well.

Such a shame about the BE situation.

PDXCWL45
13th Jan 2020, 20:52
Cardiff's curse has been not to have that steady based scheduled carrier that doesn't go bust! A lot of doom and gloom elsewhere regarding the airports future but the ironic thing is that the Welsh governments ownership will safeguard Cardiff through any potential rough times ahead. Other airports sadly might not have that safeguard.

Letsflycwl
13th Jan 2020, 21:34
Cardiff's curse has been not to have that steady based scheduled carrier that doesn't go bust! A lot of doom and gloom elsewhere regarding the airports future but the ironic thing is that the Welsh governments ownership will safeguard Cardiff through any potential rough times ahead. Other airports sadly might not have that safeguard.

Just wish Air Wales were still operating as the BE destinations would have been ideal fit for their ATR aircraft - let’s just hope the Government offer BE a deal tomorrow.

PDXCWL45
13th Jan 2020, 21:43
Just wish Air Wales were still operating as the BE destinations would have been ideal fit for their ATR aircraft - let’s just hope the Government offer BE a deal tomorrow.
Well it's looking hopeful!

Letsflycwl
14th Jan 2020, 20:47
As a result of today’s announcement and Government help for Flybe, if or when APD gets scrapped on domestic flights, would CWL benefit from any new internal UK flights?

Would we see the return of LCY, LBA or MAN?

Just a thought after all the goings on today

PDXCWL45
15th Jan 2020, 04:42
I doubt we'll see anymore new routes but more if the current ones are more profitable we'll get extra frequencies like say Edinburgh going 4 daily or Belfast back to 2 daily.

PDXCWL45
23rd Jan 2020, 11:52
TUI have increased Bourgas to 2 weekly from Cardiff Airport for summer 2020. Flights operate on Mondays and Thursdays.
In total at peak summer TUI will operate 47 weekly flights from Cardiff 44 on 3 based aircraft and 3 with non based aircraft.

PDXCWL45
23rd Jan 2020, 13:40
Just had an email from Flybe about my flight from Cardiff to Aberdeen and they have said that from the 10th February Eastern Airways will suspend their Cardiff to Newcastle flights, for passengers flying to Newcastle it looks like they will be offered alternative flights to Teeside and onward transport to Newcastle, for passengers like me who are flying to Aberdeen it just means the fuel stop will be at Teeside instead of Newcastle.

ATNotts
23rd Jan 2020, 14:35
TUI have increased Bourgas to 2 weekly from Cardiff Airport for summer 2020. Flights operate on Mondays and Thursdays.
In total at peak summer TUI will operate 47 weekly flights from Cardiff 44 on 3 based aircraft and 3 with non based aircraft.

Given the 737 MAX issues, well aired on the TUI thread one wonders if they actually have equipment in place to operate all these additional services, not just from CWL but across the network. Could be some interesting (from an industry / enthusiast perspective) subchartering and summer leasing, not just from the likes of Sunwing. I imagine it could cause a few issues with disgruntled passengers "taking to" social media.

N707ZS
23rd Jan 2020, 14:45
Does the Eastern Cardiff Aberdeen aircraft cover the route to RAF Valley.

PDXCWL45
23rd Jan 2020, 16:25
Given the 737 MAX issues, well aired on the TUI thread one wonders if they actually have equipment in place to operate all these additional services, not just from CWL but across the network. Could be some interesting (from an industry / enthusiast perspective) subchartering and summer leasing, not just from the likes of Sunwing. I imagine it could cause a few issues with disgruntled passengers "taking to" social media.
From what I've been told the Cardiff base will be 2 Sunwing 738s and 1 TUI 738 and the 2 non based Turkey flights will be operated by Corendon, the non based PMI is still down as TUI so unknown at the moment.

PDXCWL45
23rd Jan 2020, 16:26
Does the Eastern Cardiff Aberdeen aircraft cover the route to RAF Valley.
Yes it does. It's rotated through Newcastle every day in the week.

Letsflycwl
23rd Jan 2020, 16:54
Just had an email from Flybe about my flight from Cardiff to Aberdeen and they have said that from the 10th February Eastern Airways will suspend their Cardiff to Newcastle flights, for passengers flying to Newcastle it looks like they will be offered alternative flights to Teeside and onward transport to Newcastle, for passengers like me who are flying to Aberdeen it just means the fuel stop will be at Teeside instead of Newcastle.

So let me get this right, Eastern/Flybe are dropping NCL but will continue to operate daily to ABZ via MME instead ? I wonder what the logic is with this ?

Are they going to be selling CWL-MME or is it simply a drop off and fuel ?

Eastern have served NCL since we lost Air Wales and such a shame to not see NCL on the departure boards. Would another carrier pick this route up like Loganair ? It was a popular destination back in the Air Wales days.

HDP
23rd Jan 2020, 17:46
So let me get this right, Eastern/Flybe are dropping NCL but will continue to operate daily to ABZ via MME instead ? I wonder what the logic is with this ?

Are they going to be selling CWL-MME or is it simply a drop off and fuel ?

Eastern have served NCL since we lost Air Wales and such a shame to not see NCL on the departure boards. Would another carrier pick this route up like Loganair ? It was a popular destination back in the Air Wales days.

Seems like it yes, dropping NCL and routing CWL-MME-ABZ, but the CWL-MME is not available to purchase (at least not yet).

I flew CWL-NCL-ABZ just last week and loads were awful for a Monday morning. 7 pax up to NCL, 2 stayed on board for ABZ and we had 1 join in NCL, so 3 up to ABZ.

Letsflycwl
23rd Jan 2020, 18:02
Wow that is a shocking load factor, I remember the Air Wales ATR having loads in excess of 30 per flight on most days.

I guess the Eastern reliability and the actual flight costs do not help to either NCL or ABZ.

Such a shame to loose this domestic link though, can’t see a demand for MME !!

But looks like they are still operating a Sunday only CWL - NCL sector.

On a different note how do we know Correndon are operating 2 Turkey flights for TUI ? I can’t see any official reference about this.

PDXCWL45
23rd Jan 2020, 20:43
Wow that is a shocking load factor, I remember the Air Wales ATR having loads in excess of 30 per flight on most days.

I guess the Eastern reliability and the actual flight costs do not help to either NCL or ABZ.

Such a shame to loose this domestic link though, can’t see a demand for MME !!

But looks like they are still operating a Sunday only CWL - NCL sector.

On a different note how do we know Correndon are operating 2 Turkey flights for TUI ? I can’t see any official reference about this.
The CWL-NCL route was essentially no more than a positioning flight for the aircraft to do the Anglesey route. Hopefully the airport can get Loganair to take on Newcastle as well as it's a route that the airport shouldn't be without.
Corendon is from a source in the travel industry. Nothing on TUI website yet. Just says other carrier.

Letsflycwl
23rd Jan 2020, 21:07
Yeah I agree that a NCL flight would fit in with Loganair as they do quite a few flights from there and CWL certainly can’t afford to loose another route that used to be quite profitable.

I wonder if CWL are already in discussion with Loganair ?

AirportPlanner1
23rd Jan 2020, 21:34
I don’t see why CWL-MME couldn’t be put on sale but the return leg is more problematic. They would have to get check-in, security staffed for potentially just a handful of pax. The previous departure from MME is about three hours earlier, the next about four hours later.

mmeman
23rd Jan 2020, 21:43
The change in the timetable means the departure from Teesside to Aberdeen is at 12:15, so staff will already be there for that.

PDXCWL45
23rd Jan 2020, 23:16
Yeah I agree that a NCL flight would fit in with Loganair as they do quite a few flights from there and CWL certainly can’t afford to loose another route that used to be quite profitable.

I wonder if CWL are already in discussion with Loganair ?
I've no doubt that they are but only time will tell if they take the route up.

Letsflycwl
24th Jan 2020, 12:26
Big announcement up at MME regarding their new Eastern/Flybe network and lots of reference to CWL as a daily passenger flight (so not just a fuel stop).....they said they’ve “poached it from NCL”.

As usual though no comment from CWL on this announcement !!

SWBKCB
24th Jan 2020, 12:29
new Eastern/Flybe network

I've not seen Flybe mentioned in any of the coverage.

caaardiff
24th Jan 2020, 12:48
Big announcement up at MME regarding their new Eastern/Flybe network and lots of reference to CWL as a daily passenger flight (so not just a fuel stop).....they said they’ve “poached it from NCL”.

Give them chance, it's only just been announced by MME! Given it's a huge announcement of a new network for them it's likely they would get priority. If anything I wouldnt be surprised if CWL play this down anyway as MME is probably a step back over losing NCL.

Letsflycwl
24th Jan 2020, 14:04
I've not seen Flybe mentioned in any of the coverage.

I’m just assuming they will operate under BE prefix and not T3 under the franchise agreement in place. I’m guessing it’ll be the same J41 aircraft as per the current NCL schedule

PDXCWL45
24th Jan 2020, 15:44

To be honest I doubt they are that happy about it. Losing Newcastle in favour of Teesside I doubt they see as positive.

Letsflycwl
24th Jan 2020, 15:58
To be honest I doubt they are that happy about it. Losing Newcastle in favour of Teesside I doubt they see as positive.

Yeah I kind of agree there......guess we will have to wait and see and hope another airline snaps up the NCL sector with decent airfares too compared to some of the prices Eastern/Flybe charge

Robert-Ryan
24th Jan 2020, 16:06
I could understand disappointment at losing a Newcastle link but everyone on this thread seems very anti-Teesside? I think you'll find when the routes actually go on sale next week they'll be competitive

Letsflycwl
24th Jan 2020, 16:09
I could understand disappointment at losing a Newcastle link but everyone on this thread seems very anti-Teesside? I think you'll find when the routes actually go on sale next week they'll be competitive

I really hope so don’t get me wrong, MME is better than just a Sunday service to NCL and who knows it may work perfectly for Eastern. I like the Eastern experience on the CWL-VLY route and have always liked the J41 so hope the MME route is a success for them

PDXCWL45
24th Jan 2020, 17:06
Hopefully they will be competitive but on the point 2 point Cardiff wise I just don't see the route having high demand. What it may do is make rotating the VLY aircraft cheaper and keeping the ABZ connection. Hopefully someone else will take on NCL so CWL has links to both!

caaardiff
24th Jan 2020, 17:19

Unless they throw away seats at cheap fares for the CWL-MME portion then i really cant see much demand for the route. It's more a schedule filler to boost CWL-ABZ by combining it with MME-ABZ because of the competition from Loganair at NCL.

Letsflycwl
27th Jan 2020, 20:47
CWL-MME routes starting off at £68 oneway.....not a bad price for Eastern. I also see that the Sunday NCL flight is no longer on sale with Flybe.

heading 125
28th Jan 2020, 18:28
That sounds a great price to he honest. But you can imagine the low cost paxs “what I can travel to Palma return for £49.99. Thats disgusting whys it always so expensive to fly from Cardiff”. I hate low cost pax attitude these days to be honest.

Letsflycwl
29th Jan 2020, 20:28
I notice CWL have listed the Summer 2020 timetable (as it stands so far)

According to the timetable:

x2 weekly AYT flights operated by Corendon
x1 weekly DLM flight operated by Corendon
x1 weekly PMI flight operated by AlbaStar

(all on behalf of TUI)

At least thats 2 new airlines we will be seeing !!

PDXCWL45
29th Jan 2020, 20:40
I notice CWL have listed the Summer 2020 timetable (as it stands so far)

According to the timetable:

x2 weekly AYT flights operated by Corendon
x1 weekly DLM flight operated by Corendon
x1 weekly PMI flight operated by AlbaStar

(all on behalf of TUI)

At least thats 2 new airlines we will be seeing !!
Antalya should be 1 weekly Corendon and 1 weekly TUI.
And the timetable also misses that BOJ is now 2 weekly with TUI

Letsflycwl
29th Jan 2020, 20:43
Antalya should be 1 weekly Corendon and 1 weekly TUI.

Thats what I thought but the CWL timetable on line states the above.....

PDXCWL45
29th Jan 2020, 21:23
Thats what I thought but the CWL timetable on line states the above.....
The Sunday flight for Antalya is the non based one. The Thursday is TUI.
Oddly the TUI website has Freebird down for the non based Dalaman.

N707ZS
30th Jan 2020, 09:16
Wonder how the Anglesey flight will fit in to this schedule.

M-T-W-T-F 10:15 11:35 MME - CWL
M-T-W-T-F 12:15 13:35 CWL - MME

PDXCWL45
30th Jan 2020, 09:46

It won't. It would require the times to be opposite of what they are there for the individual legs. NCL/ABZ is currently a 10.20 departure.

PDXCWL45
30th Jan 2020, 10:49

On the Flybe website the times are.
CWL-MME 10.20-11.45
MME-CWL 13.25-14.50

N707ZS
30th Jan 2020, 15:48
On the Flybe website the times are.
CWL-MME 10.20-11.45
MME-CWL 13.25-14.50
So in that plan the aircraft is based at Cardiff.

PDXCWL45
30th Jan 2020, 16:19
So in that plan the aircraft is based at Cardiff.
It will overnight at Cardiff yes.

Sharklet_321
31st Jan 2020, 16:19
December 2019 DOH performance was strong at 8,391 which grew 30% up on the previous December.

PDXCWL45
31st Jan 2020, 18:46
CAA Stats December 2019
77,382 passengers used the airport in December down 9.7% on 2018. The rolling year saw 1,654,920 passengers up 4.8% on 2018.
Atms were 982 down 3.9% on 2018. Rolling year was 16,688 down 1.9% on 2018.
Top 10 routes
1. Amsterdam 13,206
2. Doha 8391
3. Edinburgh 8391
4. Tenerife South 7825
5. Dublin 7611
6. Alicante 6710
7. Paris CDG 4179
8. Belfast City 3496
9. Arrecife 3232
10. Malaga 2803

PDXCWL45
31st Jan 2020, 20:56
Doha saw 8391 passengers in December up 30%. The average load was 190, a 74.8% LF.

Letsflycwl
31st Jan 2020, 20:59
Doha saw 8391 passengers in December up 30%. The average load was 190, a 74.8% LF.

Thats quite a healthy load factor, obviously people are now getting use to the fact & idea that QR fly daily from CWL.

Letsflycwl
2nd Feb 2020, 13:34
According to the TUI website it is Freebird operating AYT-CWL-AYT for TUI, still uncertain on DLM & PMI but according to CWL timetable that will be Corendon & AlbaStar respectively.

Confused with the DLM flight - whether this will be Corendon or TUI themselves....

Does anyone know the Summer 2020 schedules ?

VickersVicount
2nd Feb 2020, 14:01
Thats quite a healthy load factor, obviously people are now getting use to the fact & idea that QR fly daily from CWL.
Thats great. Actually becoming one of the better UK load factor routes! Lets hope it continues. Who knows, as off-the-wall as QR can sometimes be with their upguaging, maybe there will be an increase

PDXCWL45
2nd Feb 2020, 14:18
Yes it is good. The route is maturing and isn't effecting AMS either it seems as KLM continue to add capacity.

bycrewlgw
4th Feb 2020, 09:01
Yes it is good. The route is maturing and isn't effecting AMS either it seems as KLM continue to add capacity.

just had a quick check of the stats and it’s a 63% growth over 2018. Just over 90,000 travelled with QR in 2019 v just over 55,500 in 2018.

PDXCWL45
4th Feb 2020, 09:53
just had a quick check of the stats and it’s a 63% growth over 2018. Just over 90,000 travelled with QR in 2019 v just over 55,500 in 2018.
It does need to be mentioned that the route did only start in May in 2018 but the route is growing well.

bycrewlgw
4th Feb 2020, 10:03
It does need to be mentioned that the route did only start in May in 2018 but the route is growing well.

very true forgot about that! So like for like would be a 16% growth 👍🏻

PDXCWL45
4th Feb 2020, 10:13
very true forgot about that! So like for like would be a 16% growth 👍🏻
Probably about that. Very good growth. Also importantly despite the doomsayers saying that Qatar would kill them at Cardiff and force them out KLM saw 160,099 passengers use them in 2019 up 10.3%.

Letsflycwl
4th Feb 2020, 16:57
According to TUI booking engine, AlbaStar are doing one of their PMI flights and now appears that it is Freebird operating both a AYT and DLM for them too......

Not Corendon as per CWL timetable

Wales2theworld
7th Feb 2020, 22:39
Just tried to book a flight to Dublin with flybe, but all dates have been taken off their site on all routes?? Anyone know anything??

CWL757
7th Feb 2020, 23:42
Just tried to book a flight to Dublin with flybe, but all dates have been taken off their site on all routes?? Anyone know anything??
Working fine for me.

PDXCWL45
8th Feb 2020, 03:36
All bookable on their app.

PDXCWL45
11th Feb 2020, 05:56
North Somerset council rejected Bristol airport's expansion application. Definitely a boost for Cardiff airport in the short term at least so hopefully they'll be able to capitalise on it and attract extra flights and new airlines before Bristols expansion eventually gets approved at UK level.

Letsflycwl
12th Feb 2020, 18:50
I know it’s only Wikipedia but wow someone needs to be update the CWL page to show both AlbaStar and Freebird.....it is looking pretty minimalistic under the airline list 🤔🤔🤔

I have no idea how to do this !!

PDXCWL45
25th Feb 2020, 07:50
Loganair have released winter 2020/21 and there's no change for Cardiff. Like summer the route will operate 8 weekly with no flights on Saturdays and double daily flights on Fridays and Sundays.

Letsflycwl
26th Feb 2020, 18:38
Apparently Eastern/Flybe are starting MME sun routes to ALC with their Embraer fleet....I wonder if CWL would ever want look at that as an option ?

With Eastern taking on further E170 & E195 aircraft they could easily fill some of the old BE jet routes......

Just a thought or dream.....

fanrailuk
26th Feb 2020, 19:34
Apparently Eastern/Flybe are starting MME sun routes to ALC with their Embraer fleet....I wonder if CWL would ever want look at that as an option ?

With Eastern taking on further E170 & E195 aircraft they could easily fill some of the old BE jet routes......

Alicante is adequately served year round by Vueling - 3 weekly in the winter; and 6 weekly in the summer.

Add to that the TUI services.

There is absolutely no need for more ALC flights.

Having looked at the T3 fares from MME, that’s not welcome at CWL on any routes!

PDXCWL45
26th Feb 2020, 19:55

It would be great to see the E195s back at Cardiff from an enthusiasts point of view and for the ex Flybe European routes to return and hopefully they will in the future but it's more probable now that the airport will look towards airlines like Ryanair, Jet2, TUI, Alitalia and Lufthansa to reintroduce those routes in the future. They may well not be successful but I think the Flybe jet operation served it's purpose in helping to get the airport back on its feet. In a way that is what Teesside is doing with Eastern.

Letsflycwl
26th Feb 2020, 20:27
It would be great to see the E195s back at Cardiff from an enthusiasts point of view and for the ex Flybe European routes to return and hopefully they will in the future but it's more probable now that the airport will look towards airlines like Ryanair, Jet2, TUI, Alitalia and Lufthansa to reintroduce those routes in the future. They may well not be successful but I think the Flybe jet operation served it's purpose in helping to get the airport back on its feet. In a way that is what Teesside is doing with Eastern.

It was just a dream lol and not really aimed at ALC but more towards the city break destinations again that BE once served.

Would love to see extra flights from FR and/or even a small LS base.....

caaardiff
26th Feb 2020, 21:15
I can imagine FR will soon move in on ALC like they have with AGP.
IF Eastern were ever to come in with the 195's, then I can see FAO, IBZ, MAH, FCO and MXP being possibilities to utilise one aircraft. I can't see a base happening though so would have to see some interesting scheduling. Teeside are basically doing what CWL did with Flybe. Throwing money at the Airline in a desperate attempt to stimulate demand and growth.
Luckily CWL now have some stats to go to Eastern with and that info can also be shared by Flybe. Hopefully the routes were actually profitable, but we'll never know that. I wouldn't completely dismiss it, as BE wanted rid of the E-Jets but Eastern will be looking for ventures. CWL is tried and tested.

Also, interestingly the MME-ALC flights are on the E170, not the E195. There's talk of further European routes from MME, but MME-ALC is only 2x weekly, which is hardly any utilisation of the aircraft and there's 3 E195's on the way. There's certainly no demand for anything bigger than an E170 for private/sports charter work. So unless they are being chartered by a specific Tour Operator, they might well be going it alone on the European scheduled market. I'm sure I read somewhere that a Travel Agents in South Wales was possibly looking at running their own flights (Rumour of course)

fanrailuk
26th Feb 2020, 22:06
I can't see a base happening...

Don’t speak too soon!

Eastern are currently recruiting Cabin Crew for CWL.

https://www.easternairways.com/careers/cabin-crew

caaardiff
26th Feb 2020, 22:11
Don’t speak too soon!

Eastern are currently recruiting Cabin Crew for CWL.

https://www.easternairways.com/careers/cabin-crew

Interesting! Could well be to crew the VLY flights as I'm guessing they were crewed by NCL crew overnighting. New Teeside crew may not be being utilised at CWL. Hopefully there's more to it though!

Letsflycwl
27th Feb 2020, 07:02
Interesting indeed.....guess only Eastern & CWL know the reason, maybe it is just crew for the VLY route or even something to do with all the “new” Embraer jet joining the fleet (but no suggestion at present that any part of these new Embraers are destined for CWL).

SealinkBF
27th Feb 2020, 18:52
This is the Cardiff Airport that made CityJet walk away because of their deal with Flybe!

Mind you, I think CityJet were walking away from scheduled services anyway!

PDXCWL45
27th Feb 2020, 19:10
This is the Cardiff Airport that made CityJet walk away because of their deal with Flybe!

Mind you, I think CityJet were walking away from scheduled services anyway!
To be fair those deals were done under different management than is now in place now and the airport is in a different place.

bycrewlgw
27th Feb 2020, 20:24
CWL is a very price sensitive market. They’d have to seriously look at their fare structure as most will travel to BRS / BHX if the fares are cheaper...

Letsflycwl
27th Feb 2020, 20:32
CWL is a very price sensitive market. They’d have to seriously look at their fare structure as most will travel to BRS / BHX if the fares are cheaper...

True that’s always been the case at CWL but does seem odd why Eastern are advertising for cabin crew at CWL......it can’t just be for the VLY flights so do wonder if something is being planned

HH6702
27th Feb 2020, 22:06
Flew the other week from VLY

The crew is currently covered by NCL based

the operate
MME-CWL-VLY-CWL (night stop)
CWL-VLY-CWL-MME

makes sense to get the own based staff to reduce on overnight hotel costs

caaardiff
28th Feb 2020, 08:19
Flew the other week from VLY

The crew is currently covered by NCL based

the operate
MME-CWL-VLY-CWL (night stop)
CWL-VLY-CWL-MME

makes sense to get the own based staff to reduce on overnight hotel costs

I'm pretty sure a house in Rhoose or Barry comes as part of the deal. It always used to when previous Airlines had the contract.
If it's currently crewed by NCL crew theres the additional cost of getting the crew from NCL to MME. With the current expansion I would think they would want to try and recruit local crew in MME and utilise them from MME only without night stops.

It does only appear to be Cabin Crew advertised, not Pilots. Although I do have a feeling there might be more to this.

PDXCWL45
28th Feb 2020, 08:42
They won't be trying to compete with Bristol or Birmingham that would be pointless. Obviously depending on the routes any operation will be to try and cater for the people who want to fly from Cardiff and aren't necessarily price sensitive.
Another factor people may not be considering is that Eastern may well be readying itself as a replacement for Flybe if the worse happens. That would be easier if a base was already there I'd have thought.

bycrewlgw
28th Feb 2020, 09:00
They won't be trying to compete with Bristol or Birmingham that would be pointless. Obviously depending on the routes any operation will be to try and cater for the people who want to fly from Cardiff and aren't necessarily price sensitive.
Another factor people may not be considering is that Eastern may well be readying itself as a replacement for Flybe if the worse happens. That would be easier if a base was already there I'd have thought.

its not necessarily about competing with BRS or BHX but if the cost of the flights to say PMI is £300 from CWL but only £100 from BRS people will fly from there.

PDXCWL45
28th Feb 2020, 09:03
its not necessarily about competing with BRS or BHX but if the cost of the flights to say PMI is £300 from CWL but only £100 from BRS people will fly from there.
But Eastern wouldn't be doing a flight like PMI from Cardiff. I'd imagine that it would be more city routes.

Letsflycwl
28th Feb 2020, 09:32
But Eastern wouldn't be doing a flight like PMI from Cardiff. I'd imagine that it would be more city routes.

Agree here, IF and it’s IF Eastern did then I’d imagine it would be the city routes that BE used to do - MXP, FCO, MUC etc.

bycrewlgw
28th Feb 2020, 10:32

that was an example *insert any city route that FR / EZY fly to from BRS*

caaardiff
28th Feb 2020, 11:18
But Flybe, quite successfully, did FAO. As much as it would be great to have city break destinations, it's the holiday routes that make money. Italy may do well supported by tour operators, but Germany isn't a great performer from CWL.
Also peak season end of July Vueling are charging £250pp return. MME-ALC is starting £240 return peak season. Low cost airlines arent always low fare.

PDXCWL45
28th Feb 2020, 13:31
that was an example *insert any city route that FR / EZY fly to from BRS*
But to be honest you could say that about most routes from Cardiff that no airline could match Ryanair and Eastern so why bother?

Letsflycwl
28th Feb 2020, 16:36
MXP for sure, then FCO and VRN and possibly VCE too, more or less the routes left behind by BE. FAO was always a good one for BE too.

But this is all just “what if”.....nothing set in stone and all we know are that Eastern are advertising for CWL cabin crew.....it may even just be for VLY !!

PDXCWL45
29th Feb 2020, 18:56
Loganair started their new Glasgow service on Thursday! Nice to see a new airline at the airport!
https://www.cardiffairport.com/news/2020/02/28/loganair-flights-to-glasgow-take-off-from-cardiff/
https://twitter.com/Cardiff_Airport/status/1233386153618890753?s=19

PDXCWL45
2nd Mar 2020, 07:53
Cardiff Airport could get extra £6.8m loan from Welsh Government
https://t.co/66qCVrNlaW

Midland Alpha9
2nd Mar 2020, 13:47
But to be honest you could say that about most routes from Cardiff that no airline could match Ryanair and Eastern so why bother?
People are prepared to pay a small premium to use CWL rather than trudge over the bridge and having the pleasure of getting stuck in traffic using the Brynglas Tunnel ( sorry pet hate)
I travel approx eight return trips a year and use BRS when I do not have the choice.

Another Embraer operator would be a great option but I feel Easyjet and Ryanair are both missing a trick as they would be able to totally corner the market in the South West/ West part of the UK if one of them created a small base from CWL. I don't see this happening with Ryanair as they have aircraft shortages with the ongoing Boeing fiasco!

SWBKCB
2nd Mar 2020, 14:44
Cardiff Airport could get extra £6.8m loan from Welsh Government
https://t.co/66qCVrNlaW

So, am I reading this right - they bought the airport for £52m, loaned them £38m, then a further extension of £21.2m, now a further £6.8m. This after making losses of £18.5m last year - nearly three times more (i.e. well over £6m) than the previous year. And this is on commercial terms?

Welsh ministers are considering loaning Cardiff Airport a further £6.8m, after approving a loan of £21.2m last year.

The £21.2m loan was an extension on the £38.2m the airport could already borrow from the government.The Welsh Government bought the airport in 2013 for £52m (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-21952079). Since then passenger numbers have increased significantly but in December the airport posted a pre-tax loss of £18.5m (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50955180), nearly three times higher than the previous year.

PDXCWL45
2nd Mar 2020, 15:48
So, am I reading this right - they bought the airport for £52m, loaned them £38m, then a further extension of £21.2m, now a further £6.8m. This after making losses of £18.5m last year - nearly three times more (i.e. well over £6m) than the previous year. And this is on commercial terms?
Interesting evidence today from Cardiff Airport to the Senedd Public Accounts committee concerning the loan and the airport operation in general and what costs they have to cover in the future.
https://www.senedd.tv/Meeting/Archive/35261b08-057b-48d2-9bd5-ae0ff03fb364?autostart=True

PDXCWL45
2nd Mar 2020, 15:49
And yes all loans to Cardiff airport are on commercial terms.

Letsflycwl
4th Mar 2020, 20:19
With all the BE news and comments/rumours going round that they are scheduled to cease operations tonight, what next for CWL ?

Don’t get me wrong I hope in no way that BE do not fold but should this be the worst case scenario who could/would step in to fill the void? Being the main scheduled CWL it’ll cause a lot of concern or worry all round.

ABZ: Eastern will take over under T3
VLY: Eastern will take over under T3
BHD: ?
CMF: ?
ORK: Are Lingus Regional?
DUB: Aer Lingus Regional? Ryanair?
EDI: Loganair (hopefully)
GVA: ?
JER: Blue Islands?
CDG: Air France Hop?
MME: Eastern will take over under T3

PDXCWL45
4th Mar 2020, 20:25
With all the BE news and comments/rumours going round that they are scheduled to cease operations tonight, what next for CWL ?

Don’t get me wrong I hope in no way that BE do not fold but should this be the worst case scenario who could/would step in to fill the void? Being the main scheduled CWL it’ll cause a lot of concern or worry all round.

ABZ: Eastern will take over under T3
VLY: Eastern will take over under T3
BHD: ?
CMF: ?
ORK: Are Lingus Regional?
DUB: Aer Lingus Regional? Ryanair?
EDI: Loganair (hopefully)
GVA: ?
JER: Blue Islands?
CDG: Air France Hop?
MME: Eastern will take over under T3
Easterns routes will remain. As for the rest CWL will be lucky to keep Edinburgh but the others will be lost and no doubt many will take years to recover but I do hope I'm wrong.
On a personal note I'm genuinely gutted that Flybe have gone. I'm flown with them for a couple of years now and enjoyed every flight. They'll be sorely missed by passengers like me.

Letsflycwl
4th Mar 2020, 20:41
Easterns routes will remain. As for the rest CWL will be lucky to keep Edinburgh but the others will be lost and no doubt many will take years to recover but I do hope I'm wrong.
On a personal note I'm genuinely gutted that Flybe have gone. I'm flown with them for a couple of years now and enjoyed every flight. They'll be sorely missed by passengers like me.

Hopefully DUB, EDI & CDG will remain as priorities

I wonder if Eastern CWL recruitment was in preparation for the BE news/situation?

Could Eastern stand on and cover the other BE routes from CWL ?

4th Mar 2020, 20:52
I can’t honestly see EI Regional taking over the Cork route. They’ve no easy aircraft availability (although Stobart do have wet leased aircraft with FlyBe). Biggest factor though is that it will largely drive up yield on Cork-Bristol, with a small bit of leakage to Cardiff-Dublin and Sail/Rail.

PDXCWL45
4th Mar 2020, 20:59
Hopefully DUB, EDI & CDG will remain as priorities

I wonder if Eastern CWL recruitment was in preparation for the BE news/situation?

Could Eastern stand on and cover the other BE routes from CWL ?
DUB, EDI, CDG and BHD would be the priorities but I would not hold out to much hope as airline's like Ryanair and Aer Lingus may well be quite happy for Welsh passengers to travel to Bristol while Air France might be happy for people to use KLM or travel to London. As for Belfast it depends if anyone fills the hole.

Letsflycwl
4th Mar 2020, 21:12
DUB, EDI, CDG and BHD would be the priorities but I would not hold out to much hope as airline's like Ryanair and Aer Lingus may well be quite happy for Welsh passengers to travel to Bristol while Air France might be happy for people to use KLM or travel to London. As for Belfast it depends if anyone fills the hole.

I would imagine Loganair would seriously look at EDI as it’ll fit in nicely to their schedules and think this route would be snapped up quite quickly.

Eastern would most probably reactivate their booking engine and carry on with ABZ, VLY and MME.

Agree that ORK will most probably disappear leaving just BHD, DUB & CDG as the “main” destinations to attract new airlines.

If Blue Islands survive too then I’d guess they may consider JER.

If only Wales had its own airline......just like Scotland and Loganair !!

mariofly12
4th Mar 2020, 21:45
Would it be too much capacity if U2 started flights to CWL from their EDI,BFS,CDG bases with A319s? Although i suspect they'd probably get that share of CWL pax thru their BRS services now...

PDXCWL45
4th Mar 2020, 21:54
Would it be too much capacity if U2 started flights to CWL from their EDI,BFS,CDG bases with A319s? Although i suspect they'd probably get that share of CWL pax thru their BRS services now...
The airport have engaged with Easyjet many times and said live in radio tuesday morning that Easyjets response is always that they are quite happy to attract Welsh passengers over to Bristol and don't want to operate from Cardiff.

BAladdy
4th Mar 2020, 22:25
I wonder how many Scotland Rugby fans now find themselves without flight ahead of the match on the 14th.

PDXCWL45
4th Mar 2020, 22:32
I wonder how many Scotland Rugby fans now find themselves without flight ahead of the match on the 14th.
They might find someone like Loganair or Jet2 put on flights for them for the rugby. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

fanrailuk
5th Mar 2020, 12:13
Seems the CWL-EDI route will continue with Loganair starting flights on Monday 23 March.

1 x daily flight on board an E145

Source; Loganair.com

runway30
5th Mar 2020, 12:24
I suppose we should be grateful for anything but that is a big route to be 1xdaily on an E145. More passengers to be lost to Bristol.

Letsflycwl
5th Mar 2020, 12:36
Seems the CWL-EDI route will continue with Loganair starting flights on Monday 23 March.

1 x daily flight on board an E145

Source; Loganair.com

I wonder if this would increase to more than x1 daily as there is an obvious market ex CWL to EDI that warrants more than 1 flight a day.

Maybe the frequency will increase once established.

What about the other main destinations of CDG, BHD and DUB ? Any plans to replace these routes with alternate carriers ??

PDXCWL45
5th Mar 2020, 13:33
I wonder if this would increase to more than x1 daily as there is an obvious market ex CWL to EDI that warrants more than 1 flight a day.

Maybe the frequency will increase once established.

What about the other main destinations of CDG, BHD and DUB ? Any plans to replace these routes with alternate carriers ??
From September it'll go to 10 weekly. Hopefully over time as they expand it'll go to at least double daily and fingers crossed eventually they'll add Belfast.

Letsflycwl
5th Mar 2020, 15:51
From September it'll go to 10 weekly. Hopefully over time as they expand it'll go to at least double daily and fingers crossed eventually they'll add Belfast.

Its great seeing Loganair respond quickly to the whole sad demise of BE with EDI.

Surely someone must be see the potential with CDG, DUB & BHD. Eastern are going head to head with Loganair on 3 ex Flybe SOU routes and with the advertising for CWL you’d have thought they’d look at these 3 priority routes.

Its also commented on the SOU page that Stobart “may” look at DUB from both SOU & CWL and I’m guessing for EI Regional.

People are also hopeful that Blue Islands take over JER or would this be a good catch for Aurigny ??

Shame there is no Air Wales to takeover these key routes

Letsflycwl
7th Mar 2020, 15:24
Instead of giving more money to CWL, the Welsh Government should create a small regional airline to serve Wales - I wonder if this would ever be an option or just wishful thinking

Bit like the Air Wales days with 1 to 2 ATR 42 size aircraft to serve BHD,DUB & CDG as the core routes initially.

Before BMI baby, Air Wales were more or less due to start EDI & GLA which meant they had to look at other routes which were not as popular.

There is an obvious market for most of the ex Flybe routes from CWL notably these 3 destinations. Many may think that if they were that popular they’d be snapped up already but with the current market & situation not feasible for other regional airlines like Eastern, Aurigny or Loganair but surely a different story if Wales had its own well managed airline?

Just my thoughts on the whole of the situation following this week.

PDXCWL45
7th Mar 2020, 15:41
I can just imagine the reaction to the Welsh government setting up their own airline! It would not be pretty!
As for the loans given to CWL the money is to be used on important things like runway resurfacing, new security scanners and upgrading the ILS system to CAT2 and no doubt continued investment in the terminal and some is set aside for route development as well I believe.
It may take a while but I'm sure eventually most of the ex Flybe routes will be regained.

Letsflycwl
7th Mar 2020, 15:47
I can just imagine the reaction to the Welsh government setting up their own airline! It would not be pretty!
As for the loans given to CWL the money is to be used on important things like runway resurfacing, new security scanners and upgrading the ILS system to CAT2 and no doubt continued investment in the terminal and some is set aside for route development as well I believe.
It may take a while but I'm sure eventually most of the ex Flybe routes will be regained.

Well maybe not a state owned airline but certainly a private one. The old Air Wales grew a tidy network but certainly was chaotic with 5 aircraft on some low yield routes. But with the loss of BHD, DUB & CDG these would be ideal as the passenger figures were very high in these 3 routes especially.

ATNotts
7th Mar 2020, 16:10
Well maybe not a state owned airline but certainly a private one. The old Air Wales grew a tidy network but certainly was chaotic with 5 aircraft on some low yield routes. But with the loss of BHD, DUB & CDG these would be ideal as the passenger figures were very high in these 3 routes especially.

I fear we may be entering the realms of fantasy here.

PDXCWL45
7th Mar 2020, 16:30
I've no doubt the those routes are profitable but profitable enough to sustain a national carrier especially with Edinburgh taken up. Any carrier that wants to make Cardiff a profitable base would essentially need domination of the sun routes as well which would be hard at the moment because of Vueling and Ryanair on them.
I generally think Wales needs the airlines like Aer Lingus, Air France and Ryanair more than a national airline as they have not just the connections but also the profile not just amongst their own countries people and Europe but also the people of Wales itself.

Letsflycwl
10th Mar 2020, 19:41
I see British Airways are operating a CWL-EDI charter (BA7036) on 15/03/2020 according to the departure board online, obviously connected with the Six Nations Rugby.

Does anyone know if this is mainline BA or BA CityFlyer and what aircraft ?

PDXCWL45
10th Mar 2020, 21:19
I see British Airways are operating a CWL-EDI charter (BA7036) on 15/03/2020 according to the departure board online, obviously connected with the Six Nations Rugby.

Does anyone know if this is mainline BA or BA CityFlyer and what aircraft ?
Some Trade Air in from France as well. I'd imagine that the BA will be Cityflyer.

Letsflycwl
10th Mar 2020, 21:46
Some Trade Air in from France as well. I'd imagine that the BA will be Cityflyer.

That will start the rumours off about BA coming to CWL to replace BE lol...

PDXCWL45
10th Mar 2020, 22:02
That will start the rumours off about BA coming to CWL to replace BE lol...
No doubt it will! Lol

Letsflycwl
10th Mar 2020, 22:08
No doubt it will! Lol

We can only dream !!! But still holding out for Air France lol

PDXCWL45
11th Mar 2020, 09:26
We can only dream !!! But still holding out for Air France lol
Air France would be great and would complement KLM but I feel that Cardiff may well have to wait quite a while, maybe until summer 2021 for the likes of Paris and Dublin to be replaced due to the coronavirus.

ATNotts
11th Mar 2020, 09:42
Air France would be great and would complement KLM but I feel that Cardiff may well have to wait quite a while, maybe until summer 2021 for the likes of Paris and Dublin to be replaced due to the coronavirus.

Those words of caution apply to all airports in UK, particularly those that have lost Flybe services. In more certain times I feel sure that Easyjet, for example, would have brought forward the start of their EDI and GLA to BHX services and already upped capacity going forward, but they haven't, most probably because they can see the (coronavirus) writing on the wall.

This summer is going to be one of survival for the air transport industry, many will lose their jobs, or may find their job offers for seasonal summer positions withdrawn. I wouldn't want to be relying on employment in air transport or hospitality this year.

Sharklet_321
11th Mar 2020, 10:17
I think Cardiff fans should be thankful that no backfilling has been done yet. If you look at SOU in particular there has been far too much backfilling by very weak airlines (Eastern) and those spread too thinly (Loganair). They're even competing on thin routes like SOU-NCL-ABZ. Eastern were at risk of going under recently. I would say radical expansion in the face of coronavirus is tantamount to suicide. You also certainly don't want Stobart anywhere near you at the moment given their reputation and risk. They only care about one thing - Southend airport.

Better to wait it out under the radar until 2021 when things should pick up again.

PDXCWL45
11th Mar 2020, 10:41
I think Cardiff fans should be thankful that no backfilling has been done yet. If you look at SOU in particular there has been far too much backfilling by very weak airlines (Eastern) and those spread too thinly (Loganair). They're even competing on thin routes like SOU-NCL-ABZ. Eastern were at risk of going under recently. I would say radical expansion in the face of coronavirus is tantamount to suicide. You also certainly don't want Stobart anywhere near you at the moment given their reputation and risk. They only care about one thing - Southend airport.

Better to wait it out under the radar until 2021 when things should pick up again.
I know many people who would disagree with that and can't understand why Cardiffs routes haven't been taken up already.
I do feel that the focus of airlines is on England because they have limited resources and Cardiff just isn't important to them because no doubt many of the English routes are more lucrative and the government will be more concerned about getting them reinstated than any route from Wales.

SWBKCB
11th Mar 2020, 12:23
I do feel that the focus of airlines is on England because they have limited resources and Cardiff just isn't important to them because no doubt many of the English routes are more lucrative and the government will be more concerned about getting them reinstated than any route from Wales.

English routes? Government concerns? Think you're being a bit one-eyed here. All of the re-instated LM routes have involved Scottish or Irish airports except EXT-NCL and SOU-NCL, and the vast majority (all?) have been from existing bases. Eastern have launched SOU-MAN and SOU-NCL. Heaven forbid airlines concentrate on routes they regard as "more lucrative"!

PDXCWL45
11th Mar 2020, 14:20
English routes? Government concerns? Think you're being a bit one-eyed here. All of the re-instated LM routes have involved Scottish or Irish airports except EXT-NCL and SOU-NCL, and the vast majority (all?) have been from existing bases. Eastern have launched SOU-MAN and SOU-NCL. Heaven forbid airlines concentrate on routes they regard as "more lucrative"!
With the exception of CWL-EDI Loganair routes have all involved English airports same with Eastern Airways and the Channel islands airlines. So yes English routes either internal or England to Scotland or England to the islands. The UK will no doubt see that as a priority rather than Cardiff to Dublin.
Cardiff and the Welsh government are talking to airlines but I do suspect it will be a while until the lost capacity be replaced.

SWBKCB
11th Mar 2020, 14:37
From the Loganair thread there's also:
Aberdeen to Belfast City - Daily ERJ begins 16th March
Inverness to Belfast City - Daily SF3 flights begins 23rd March

Are there any BE routes to LM bases out of CWL that LM haven't picked up? Clearly the LM strategy at the moment doesn't include opening new bases

The UK will no doubt see that as a priority rather than Cardiff to Dublin.

The UK? what do you mean by that? Does any other major regional airport in the UK get more govt support than CWL?

PDXCWL45
11th Mar 2020, 16:46
From the Loganair thread there's also:
Aberdeen to Belfast City - Daily ERJ begins 16th March
Inverness to Belfast City - Daily SF3 flights begins 23rd March

Are there any BE routes to LM bases out of CWL that LM haven't picked up? Clearly the LM strategy at the moment doesn't include opening new bases

The UK? what do you mean by that? Does any other major regional airport in the UK get more govt support than CWL?
I'm not criticising Loganair like you seem to be believing. Eastern could open a base here but they've chosen to prioritize Southampton and at the moment Blue islands doesn't seem interested in the Cardiff to Jersey route.
I mean UK government, they will be wanting the English airports prioritised and I never said they were giving any sort of support ie money but I'd be surprised if they hadn't talked to these airlines about which airports to prioritise and I'm sure Cardiff will be low down on the list.

caaardiff
11th Mar 2020, 23:56
I'm not criticising Loganair like you seem to be believing. Eastern could open a base here but they've chosen to prioritize Southampton and at the moment Blue islands doesn't seem interested in the Cardiff to Jersey route.
I mean UK government, they will be wanting the English airports prioritised and I never said they were giving any sort of support ie money but I'd be surprised if they hadn't talked to these airlines about which airports to prioritise and I'm sure Cardiff will be low down on the list.

Could it just simply be that more money can be made from other Airports, because theres plenty of alternatives from BRS for people from South Wales?
If I was running an Airline I'd be looking at routes that fill seats and make money, not routes that have effectively been chartered previously or had money thrown at them somehow.
It's not favouritism as you make it sound. It's business sense.
It's easy to say English Airports gets this and that. But realistically there is only one Welsh Airport. There arent many England-England routes. It just happens to be the geography coupled with money makers.

bycrewlgw
12th Mar 2020, 15:09
Paris showing as a direct destination from CWL saying ‘flight info will be updated shortly’. Looks like someone may be taking the route on. GVA also has the same. 👍🏻

info on CWL website

fanrailuk
12th Mar 2020, 15:29
Paris showing as a direct destination from CWL saying ‘flight info will be updated shortly’. Looks like someone may be taking the route on. GVA also has the same. 👍🏻

info on CWL website

The CWL website is suggesting you can reach these destinations with KLM - via AMS.

Letsflycwl
12th Mar 2020, 15:51
The CWL website is suggesting you can reach these destinations with KLM - via AMS.

It is showing “direct” according to the website and schedules soon.....no mention of it via AMS and also red for direct. GVA also showing yet all off the old ex Flybe routes have been removed including JER, ORK & DUB so there could be an announcement pretty soon (hopefully).

PDXCWL45
12th Mar 2020, 16:15
It is showing “direct” according to the website and schedules soon.....no mention of it via AMS and also red for direct. GVA also showing yet all off the old ex Flybe routes have been removed including JER, ORK & DUB so there could be an announcement pretty soon (hopefully).
Summer schedule for Geneva comes up as KLM. Winter says flight info available soon. Will be interesting to see who takes on Geneva. Ireland is blank even though you can get there with KLM.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Paris will be taken up by Air France.

Letsflycwl
12th Mar 2020, 16:31
Summer schedule for Geneva comes up as KLM. Winter says flight info available soon. Will be interesting to see who takes on Geneva. Ireland is blank even though you can get there with KLM.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Paris will be taken up by Air France.

Seems odd that Paris showing along with the comments about coming soon etc. Obviously something is in planning process here as they’ve removed all of the other Flybe destinations except Paris. It was a popular route so be interesting to see who (if true) picks this route up.....I can only think AF (Hop) off top of head.

PDXCWL45
12th Mar 2020, 16:49
Seems odd that Paris showing along with the comments about coming soon etc. Obviously something is in planning process here as they’ve removed all of the other Flybe destinations except Paris. It was a popular route so be interesting to see who (if true) picks this route up.....I can only think AF (Hop) off top of head.
For Paris I'd put my money on AF Hop considering how good a relationship the airport has with KLM and they've recently expanded at the airport.
It's Geneva in which I'm stumped at. I can't think of any takers for that.

Letsflycwl
12th Mar 2020, 16:55
For Paris I'd put my money on AF Hop considering how good a relationship the airport has with KLM and they've recently expanded at the airport.
It's Geneva in which I'm stumped at. I can't think of any takers for that.

I do agree with regards to AF Hop and hope it does happen as Paris had pretty good passenger loads & great for CWL to secure this important route.

Baffled with GVA replacement and can only be Swiss ? Or easyJet Switzerland maybe as they do from SOU ? Completely different outfit to easyJet UK and will not conflict with BRS.

PDXCWL45
12th Mar 2020, 18:36
I do agree with regards to AF Hop and hope it does happen as Paris had pretty good passenger loads & great for CWL to secure this important route.

Baffled with GVA replacement and can only be Swiss ? Or easyJet Switzerland maybe as they do from SOU ? Completely different outfit to easyJet UK and will not conflict with BRS.
If it was Swiss I'd have thought it would be Zurich? I don't know how big their ops are at GVA. I'd be very shocked if it was Easyjet Switzerland considering the sheer volume of flights that go into Bristol.

Letsflycwl
12th Mar 2020, 18:41
If it was Swiss I'd have thought it would be Zurich? I don't know how big their ops are at GVA. I'd be very shocked if it was Easyjet Switzerland considering the sheer volume of flights that go into Bristol.

easyJet Switzerland and easyJet UK are operated as separate entities just as they do at BOH & SOU......so I do not think “if” easyJet Switzerland operated to GVA it should not affect BRS flights as in theory they are a different company.

bycrewlgw
12th Mar 2020, 18:41

doubt it would be Swiss. Helvetic maybe? Very much doubt that TUI would introduce a charter. LM could do it with a 145 but whether they’d want to is another thing.

CWL757
12th Mar 2020, 19:50
Swiss have a decent A220 fleet at GVA that could work nicely on a few weekly flights to CWL. Helvetic don't have a base at GVA afaik so unlikely to be them, same with Edelweiss. EZS is, in theory a different company to EZY so I can't see them caring too much about BRS ops.

Letsflycwl
12th Mar 2020, 20:11
Swiss have a decent A220 fleet at GVA that could work nicely on a few weekly flights to CWL. Helvetic don't have a base at GVA afaik so unlikely to be them, same with Edelweiss. EZS is, in theory a different company to EZY so I can't see them caring too much about BRS ops.

Totally agree about EZY & EZS, they are operated as separate airports in the UK such as BOH & SOU. A weekly GVA with EZS would be a good gain for CWL.

Most importantly would be Paris and let’s hope this is sorted ASAP and reintroduced on a daily basis. CDG always had high decent passenger loads to hope AF Hop (or another airline) realise this.

SWBKCB
12th Mar 2020, 20:24
Surely we are all missing the obvious - this is what Eastern are recruiting for!! :ok:

Seriously, my money would be on this one...

A weekly GVA with EZS would be a good gain for CWL.

Letsflycwl
12th Mar 2020, 20:26
Surely we are all missing the obvious - this is what Eastern are recruiting for!! :ok:

Seriously, my money would be on this one...

Good point there and will tie in nicely if that’s the case. Obviously CDG & GVA “are pending” so watch this space I guess, only time will tell (and let’s hope it’s soon)

yeo valley
12th Mar 2020, 22:03
Totally agree about EZY & EZS, they are operated as separate airports in the UK such as BOH & SOU. A weekly GVA with EZS would be a good gain for CWL.

Most importantly would be Paris and let’s hope this is sorted ASAP and reintroduced on a daily basis. CDG always had high decent passenger loads to hope AF Hop (or another airline) realise this.
EZY do 5 or 6 fights to GVA on a saturday in the winter season. The last EZY flight on a saturday is operated by EZS.They have operated the odd GVA on other days.EZS also operate into Gatwick every day,but im not sure if thats from ZRH or GVA.

Letsflycwl
13th Mar 2020, 09:24
EZY do 5 or 6 fights to GVA on a saturday in the winter season. The last EZY flight on a saturday is operated by EZS.They have operated the odd GVA on other days.EZS also operate into Gatwick every day,but im not sure if thats from ZRH or GVA.

But as mentioned previously could Eastern have something up their sleeve here, recruiting for CWL crew (doubtful it is solely for the VLY route) and the “possibility” of CDG being added soon??

fanrailuk
13th Mar 2020, 11:20
All very much pie in the sky if you ask me!

I very much doubt anyone is likely to take on the GVA route at this time. Not least to say any W20/21 schedules from the EZY/EZS airlines aren't even on sale yet! And as I said previously, the CWL website shows GVA as a one stop connection via AMS.

As for Paris CDG, I have no doubt this route will return - just not yet. This coronavirus is hurting airlines globally. They are not going to rush into things, unfortunately. Yes, they have rushed into EXT, SOU and to some extent BHD - but just look at the airlines that are offering these services! Some of which have already made huge cuts to their schedules for the foreseeable future, and even made cancellations from day one - not the airlines CWL want's to punt on right now.

This isn't going to go away anytime soon. In that respect, CWL has done well not to jump into bed with anyone who will come knocking right now.

PDXCWL45
13th Mar 2020, 11:36

I very much doubt anyone is likely to take on the GVA route at this time. Not least to say any W20/21 schedules from the EZY/EZS airlines aren't even on sale yet! And as I said previously, the CWL website shows GVA as a one stop connection via AMS.

As for Paris CDG, I have no doubt this route will return - just not yet. This coronavirus is hurting airlines globally. They are not going to rush into things, unfortunately. Yes, they have rushed into EXT, SOU and to some extent BHD - but just look at the airlines that are offering these services! Some of which have already made huge cuts to their schedules for the foreseeable future, and even made cancellations from day one - not the airlines CWL want's to punt on right now.

This isn't going to go away anytime soon. In that respect, CWL has done well not to jump into bed with anyone who will come knocking right now.
The connections via Amsterdam are for the summer. Geneva is a winter only route at Cardiff unfortunately. Winter says information available soon. So we'll have to wait and see what happens.

caaardiff
13th Mar 2020, 11:58

I couldn't agree more. With CV lots of Airlines are going to suffer. Some might not survive. Disneyland has shut its doors which will effect CDG bookings. Travel in general is down and is likely to drop a lot further. CWL does need a Paris link but doesn't necessarily need another full service carrier offering connections.
It's time for CWL to sensibly retreat and protect what it's got. That being KL and QR from a connections point of view. AF don't bring anything worthwhile to the table that KL dont already offer, except for a direct link to CDG.
As for GVA, I can't see any Airline launching a brand new route just yet, even for next winter and I dont see why EZY or EZS would come to CWL knowing the volumes they can get through BRS.

On a separate note, interesting to see Blue Islands opening a 1x aircraft base at EXT. They only have 5 aircraft in the fleet but if they decide to expand it would be nice to see them at CWL on some of the uncovered BE routes. They are starting JER-EXT which will be in direct competition with their BRS-JER route. The ideal scenario is for them to switch their BRS route to CWL, go daily and utilise the aircraft to something like JER-CWL-DUB/BHD-CWL-JER. Provided EZY stay off BRS-JER they would have a monopoly on the route from the Southwest and South Wales. Switching the usage to CWL from BRS.

Sharklet_321
13th Mar 2020, 13:41
Not sure any airline would leave a primary airport like BRS to set up a CWL operation thinking they will have a monopoly on JER from the South West by doing so. It is more likely a competitor (doesn't have to be EZY) would then come in to BRS to replace that lost link and everyone suffers.

Unfortunately this is a time for downsizing not expansion.

I agree fully that CWL has done a good job at not jumping into bed with the first airline knocking on the door. I see difficulty ahead for all three airlines that have done that at EXT, SOU, MME and BHD - Eastern, Loganair and Blue Islands. Some of those new routes have 0 pax on them or in the case of MME 3 or 4 at best. Come on people - this is not how you run an airline!

PDXCWL45
13th Mar 2020, 14:45
Not sure any airline would leave a primary airport like BRS to set up a CWL operation thinking they will have a monopoly on JER from the South West by doing so. It is more likely a competitor (doesn't have to be EZY) would then come in to BRS to replace that lost link and everyone suffers.

Unfortunately this is a time for downsizing not expansion.

I agree fully that CWL has done a good job at not jumping into bed with the first airline knocking on the door. I see difficulty ahead for all three airlines that have done that at EXT, SOU, MME and BHD - Eastern, Loganair and Blue Islands. Some of those new routes have 0 pax on them or in the case of MME 3 or 4 at best. Come on people - this is not how you run an airline!
I don't think anyone is expecting them to ditch BRS but it would be good to get Jersey back especially as it's a long standing route.
As for CWL doing a good job of not jumping into bed with the first airline to come along praise, you're assuming that there is an airline there to jump into bed with in the first place?

SWBKCB
13th Mar 2020, 14:53
I see difficulty ahead for all three airlines that have done that at EXT, SOU, MME and BHD - Eastern, Loganair and Blue Islands. Some of those new routes have 0 pax on them or in the case of MME 3 or 4 at best. Come on people - this is not how you run an airline!

The MME operation didn't have anything to do with BE really, other than being sold through their website, but why bother with pesky facts. Talking of which, where are the pax figures quoted from?

Irish Cream
13th Mar 2020, 18:45
I think the point SWBKCB is that MME is just as much of a basket case as the others mentioned. Arguing about why and who and where is missing the point.

What we have seen is definitely not sustainable. It won’t look like this in 12 months time that’s for sure.

There is a reason Flybe couldn’t be saved!!

GROUNDHOG
13th Mar 2020, 18:55
We are entering unprecedented times, impossible to predict with any accuracy which carriers, routes or even airports will still be here in 12 months time. As has been suggested previously, time to batten down the hatches and wait for the storm to pass. CWL will always survive, in what future form nobody knows.

SWBKCB
13th Mar 2020, 19:10
I think the point SWBKCB is that MME is just as much of a basket case as the others mentioned. Arguing about why and who and where is missing the point.

The point I was making was that if you are going to use facts to support an arguement, they should be accurate or you undermine your own arguement.

And it might look like this in 12 months time, but it won't be for the reason Flybe couldn't be saved - you're comparing expensive, leased oranges to fully depreciated apples.

And no - MME isn't.

PDXCWL45
14th Mar 2020, 07:08
It looks like most probably due to coronavirus Loganair have taken flights off sale on the Glasgow route for March, April and May. They are as follows.
Wednesday 18/3/20, Wednesday 25/3/20, Tuesday 31/3/20, Tuesday 7/4/20, Wednesday 15/4/20, Monday 20/4/20, Tuesday 28/4/20. Looks like there will be no flights on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in May. It also looks like during April and May some of the 20.50 departures on Fridays and the 11.05 departures on Sundays have been taken offsale or are marked as sold out. It looks like the schedule gets back to normal in June.
Edinburgh looks unaffected so far.

WALES-TAG-TOP
14th Mar 2020, 07:14
Was there a divert from Exeter at 0200am today ? Thanks

PDXCWL45
17th Mar 2020, 12:37
KLM will drop down to 1 daily for the next 3 days at least. It'll be the 10am departure that operates.

MARKEYD
21st Mar 2020, 14:11
According to Routesonline

Qatar are cancelling 5 of the Doha services from the 31 st March until 31st May

Other UK airports are seeing similar reductions

PDXCWL45
21st Mar 2020, 14:36
According to Routesonline

Qatar are cancelling 5 of the Doha services from the 31 st March until 31st May

Other UK airports are seeing similar reductions
Yep CWL will be 3 weekly next week and then suspended until 1st June. BHX will also be suspended. LHR MAN and I think EDI will continue.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Mar 2020, 20:27
I spotted an oddity on Flightradar - the afternoon Eastern flight to VLY was in the air both out and back before even check-in was due to close. Both flights arrived just minutes after they were due off stand at origin. Might these flights have both gone with 0 pax? And if they did, did Eastern have to physically fly to get the money from the Government? You’d assume they were sure they weren’t waiting on anyone

PDXCWL45
23rd Mar 2020, 20:37
I spotted an oddity on Flightradar - the afternoon Eastern flight to VLY was in the air both out and back before even check-in was due to close. Both flights arrived just minutes after they were due off stand at origin. Might these flights have both gone with 0 pax? And if they did, did Eastern have to physically fly to get the money from the Government? You’d assume they were sure they weren’t waiting on anyone
If I remember correctly they pulled the time of the afternoon departures forward by 30 minutes. Maybe FR24 hasn't changed the times.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Mar 2020, 20:47
If I remember correctly they pulled the time of the afternoon departures forward by 30 minutes. Maybe FR24 hasn't changed the times.

Not sure about that unless it’s literally just changed this week, was supposed to be on it last week at times FR24 says but couldn’t travel as the new guidance came in and meeting cancelled.

PDXCWL45
23rd Mar 2020, 21:11
Not sure about that unless it’s literally just changed this week, was supposed to be on it last week at times FR24 says but couldn’t travel as the new guidance came in and meeting cancelled.
I thinks it was announced last week to start this week.

AirportPlanner1
23rd Mar 2020, 21:22
I thinks it was announced last week to start this week.

Ah fair enough. Although right now the Loganair to GLA is over the Brecon Beacons and that’s not due off stand for another 8 minutes!

SWBKCB
23rd Mar 2020, 21:34
Q - "What times the flight?"

A - "What time can you get here?"

PDXCWL45
23rd Mar 2020, 21:37
Some photos of the British Airways aircraft parked up at Cardiff Airport
https://t.co/5xUBjYEx3e

Sotonsean
24th Mar 2020, 12:12
Some photos of the British Airways aircraft parked up at Cardiff Airport
https://t.co/5xUBjYEx3e

Is that all?

I was expecting more than just the four aircraft!

PDXCWL45
24th Mar 2020, 12:50
Is that all?

I was expecting more than just the four aircraft!
There's 8 there I believe. 5 747s 2 777s and 1 788

PDXCWL45
25th Mar 2020, 20:45
CAA Stats January 2020
68,227 used the airport in January down 7% on 2019. The rolling year was 1,650,000 up 0.6% on 2019.
Atms were 990 up 3% on 2019.
Top 10 routes were
1. Amsterdam 12,042 +4%
2. Doha 8429 +27%
3. Edinburgh 7624 +27%
4. Alicante 6870 +8%
5. Dublin 6649 +9%
6. Tenerife South 5342 -28%
7. Paris CDG 3801 -8%
8. Arrecife 3336 +2%
9. Belfast City 2847 -45%
10. Malta 2599

fanrailuk
26th Mar 2020, 16:33
Looking at the DOH: I make that an average of 191 pax (on 22 rotations in January) giving it a LF of just over 75%

CAA Stats January 2020
68,227 used the airport in January down 7% on 2019. The rolling year was 1,650,000 up 0.6% on 2019.
Atms were 990 up 3% on 2019.
Top 10 routes were
1. Amsterdam 12,042 +4%
2. Doha 8429 +27%
3. Edinburgh 7624 +27%
4. Alicante 6870 +8%
5. Dublin 6649 +9%
6. Tenerife South 5342 -28%
7. Paris CDG 3801 -8%
8. Arrecife 3336 +2%
9. Belfast City 2847 -45%
10. Malta 2599

PDXCWL45
26th Mar 2020, 19:25
Yep not too bad since January is usually one of the quietest months! February's stats will be interesting!

PDXCWL45
28th Mar 2020, 12:43
It looks like Loganair plan to operate the Saab340 on the Glasgow route from the 1/6 to 14/6.
Obviously this is all contingent on the route being back up and running by then.

PDXCWL45
28th Mar 2020, 12:44
CAA Stats February 2020
77,028 passengers used the airport down 1.1% on 2019. Rolling year was 1,649,075 passengers up 4.2% on 2019.
Atms were 1007 down 0.3%.
Top 10 routes
1. Amsterdam 11,449 -4%
2. Dublin 9103 +32%
3. Edinburgh 7663 +19%
4. Alicante 7577 +24%
5. Doha 7408 +36%
6. Paris CDG 5708 +28%
7. Tenerife South 4427 -38%
8. Arrecife 2997 +1%
9. Malta 2539
10. Las Palmas 1908 +33%

fanrailuk
28th Mar 2020, 15:59
Looking at the DOH: I make that an average of 185 pax (on 20 rotations in Feb) giving it a LF of just over 72%

The last solid month we have to go on I guess. March and onwards will be quite distorted.

CAA Stats February 2020
77,028 passengers used the airport down 1.1% on 2019. Rolling year was 1,649,075 passengers up 4.2% on 2019.
Atms were 1007 down 0.3%.
Top 10 routes
1. Amsterdam 11,449 -4%
2. Dublin 9103 +32%
3. Edinburgh 7663 +19%
4. Alicante 7577 +24%
5. Doha 7408 +36%
6. Paris CDG 5708 +28%
7. Tenerife South 4427 -38%
8. Arrecife 2997 +1%
9. Malta 2539
10. Las Palmas 1908 +33%

OltonPete
28th Mar 2020, 20:33
Looking at the DOH: I make that an average of 185 pax (on 20 rotations in Feb) giving it a LF of just over 72%

The last solid month we have to go on I guess. March and onwards will be quite distorted.

I make it 21 flights or 42 sectors and 176 pax at 69% load factor unless there was a cancellation or diversion.

QR321 in February should have operated on days 1, 3,7, 8, 10, 14. 15, 17, 21, 22, 24, 28, 29 (the 8th is duplicated on FR24)
QR323 in February should have operated on days 4, 6, 11. 13, 18, 20, 25, 27

Pete

Sharklet_321
28th Mar 2020, 21:43
Business travel may take longer to come back to previous levels - in my opinion. This has got nothing to do with my opinion on SOU. If anything they will extend the runway and have a go at international leisure. In fact they have said this themselves - it’s their key to survival.

PDXCWL45
28th Mar 2020, 21:51
Business travel may take longer to come back to previous levels - in my opinion. This has got nothing to do with my opinion on SOU. If anything they will extend the runway and have a go at international leisure. In fact they have said this themselves - it’s their key to survival.
Maybe you might want to post that in the Southampton thread?

PDXCWL45
3rd Apr 2020, 21:07
Welsh government calling on the UK government to help regional airports. And its repurposed a loan extension to help the airport keep going and 50% of the staff have been furloughed.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-52156482?__twitter_impression=true

PDXCWL45
6th Apr 2020, 07:27
I'm very surprised about this but you can book Cardiff to Glasgow with Easyjet on their website. The flight is operated by Loganair of course. It looks like Easyjet and Loganair are partners through Worldwide by Easyjet. Oddly you can't book flights to Edinburgh though.