PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff-2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8

Jerry123
25th Jan 2018, 14:53
TUI's Antalya route will be operated by Freebird Airlines on Mondays and the Friday Dalaman flight will also be operated by them.
AYT-CWL 16.45-19.25 CWL-AYT 20.25-02.45 FHY591 and FHY592
DLM-CWL 06.00-08.20 CWL-DLM 09.20-15.30 FHY593 and FHY594

Mike Flynn
25th Jan 2018, 17:59
A previous poster suggested a catchment area of south-west England, I previously used Taunton as an example, if I lived in Taunton and wanted to travel to/from BKK do you reckon that I would fly from CWL to occupy 4.75 hours in DOH on the outward and 7.75 hours in DOH on the return when for the sake of an extra hour or whatever in the car I could choose from an abundance of services from LHR probably achieving 2 hours or similar connections en-route if not direct services?

That is the same reason I use LHR instead of Norwich Harry.

I like to fly direct and on airlines I enjoy.

Harry Wayfarers
25th Jan 2018, 20:21
When I flew LHR/CEB it was a 1 hour connection in HKG,when I flew BHX/HKG it was a 55 minutes connection in ZRH, 5 or 8 hour connections are simply not acceptable except perhaps to a budget traveller.

Jerry123
25th Jan 2018, 20:33
When i flew PDX-CWL last November i had a 55 mins connection in AMS my flight was delayed and i had 15 mins to get to my gate and made it with 2 mins to spare for my flight to Cardiff. Short connections have risks. Plus it depends what days you fly on on the connection times.

inOban
25th Jan 2018, 20:50
I would have thought that some leisure travellers, not necessarily budget ones, would welcome a decent break of journey, perhaps more than 24 hours to allow their body clock to start adjusting.

Not everyone is making a flying visit!

Harry Wayfarers
25th Jan 2018, 21:06
Except that it cuts short their holiday by a day or whatever, if the price was right I might opt for a something like 15+ hour stopover, time for dinner, a few beers and bed in a hotel before back to the airport but what use is 4.75 or 7.75 hours, too long to sit around an airport and not long enough to go to a hotel.

As for connections via AMS to/from CWL, indeed I regularly did connections via AMS to/from BHX, I don't mind AMS so much, there is the Murphy's Irish Pub in the terminal to go for a pint of the second best black stuff and a toasted sandwich.

edi_local
26th Jan 2018, 21:19
Those complaining of connection times. You realise CWL is not the only airport on the QR network? the CWL route will not feed nicely into every single destination, just like it wouldn't do via AMS or CDG. I've had 5 hour long waits in both airports while on my way to/from EDI. I don't belittle KLM/AF because of it. It may not connect well with some destinations, it may connect well with others. They will have done their research and will have determined what works for them and will adjust as they go on if necessary. I believe there are different flight times on different days so some days the flights will connect better at different times. This is common on the UK/Ireland QR network, with EDI, MAN, BHX and DUB all having similar frequencies. QR also offer free stop overs and city tours of Doha on longer connections to break up the time and offer people something more than the airport to look at. It's all on their site.

It is quite strange to see some people actually being negative about CWL getting a long haul route. Truly bizarre. Go and use LHR (or INV) all you want, all you'll be doing is starving your local airport of a revenue, which will just do more harm in the long run.

Harry Wayfarers
27th Jan 2018, 00:07
EL,

Your profile suggests that you live in EDI so besides GLA and perhaps NCL you are stuck with it and need to take whatever flight options are available locally.

The difference with CWL being that QR, I believe, designated it as a destination to serve south-west England, or was it south-west UK.

I was a traveller to/from Asia, where I now live, and for each trip I would browse thru the various travel and airline websites, I wouldn't have had a problem utilising QR except that to compete on fare with competitor airlines one needed to layover in DOH for perhaps 18 hours in one direction and the incdonvenience, the loss of a day's holiday, the cost of a hotel and visa, well the three airlines that ultimately won my business were Swiss from BHX, KLM from CWL and Cathay from LHR.

From EDI you don't have similarly convenient alternatives but from south-west England, indeed south Wales itself, you do with BHX and the LON airports, the problem isn't with CWL, the problem is QR connections via DOH and there are plenty of alternative airlines from the other airports.

caaardiff
27th Jan 2018, 08:15
It is quite strange to see some people actually being negative about CWL getting a long haul route. Truly bizarre.

Here here! :ok:
It's almost as if some people don't want the route to work. The fact is, there is now a Middle East connection from Wales and the Southwest. How the general public wish to utilise that will become evident throughout the year. Personal preference will be the decider and despite the belief of some, there are many different options that people will choose. Some convenient, some not so. Every connecting Airline will offer a cheaper alternative for a longer connection. When I checked out the EK flights HW was referring too, guess what, the cheaper flights had longer connections, and they were from LGW, not LHR.

The difference with CWL being that QR, I believe, designated it as a destination to serve south-west England, or was it south-west UK.

You may wish to point out to Bristol Airport, advertising as the "Airport serving the Southwest and South Wales"
It's about marketing and attracting people from wherever you can attract them from.
There's enough people that travel from South Wales and the Southwest to the Midlands and London. Bristol is quite rightly trying to win them back, and so should CWL become a player in widening it's catchment.

Harry Wayfarers
27th Jan 2018, 09:27
You may wish to point out to Bristol Airport, advertising as the "Airport serving the Southwest and South Wales"

You need to get over this Wales vs England thing, similarly there is a poster on the Yorkshire airport threads that clearly has a problem with Lancashire!

cwlwatcher
27th Jan 2018, 11:44
Just read an article on "aviation wales". it suggested that cardiff needs a transatlantic link to reach the 2020 target. surely cardiff can get norwegian/primera? look at shannon in ireland. around the same size as cardiff and has 6 airlines to 7 north american destinations. thoughts and opinions please :)

Callum Paterson
27th Jan 2018, 12:10
Other than a holiday flight to Orlando, forget it.

cwlwatcher
27th Jan 2018, 12:49
What a shame.... I done some research and the population of Limerick metropolitan area (nearest city to shannon airport) is 191,000. cardiff metro population is 1,097,000. so how can they get loads of US destinations and cardiff cant even get one?

Shannon has aer lingus to new york and boston, american airlines to philadelphia, delta airlines to new york, air canada to toronto, norwegian to stewart and provedince and united to newark. surely cardiff could support Norwegian to stewart (new york)

Jerry123
27th Jan 2018, 13:37
NYC a couple of times a week and Orlando once a week is probably it for Cardiff. Shannon is unique with many of those flights for Irish Americans tourists. CWL doesn't have that.

Jerry123
27th Jan 2018, 13:38
You need to get over this Wales vs England thing, similarly there is a poster on the Yorkshire airport threads that clearly has a problem with Lancashire!
It'll always be Wales v England, history saw to that.

Letsflycwl
27th Jan 2018, 15:28
Yeah I have to agree with Jerry123, can’t see anything else other than NYC (2-3 per week) or Orlando (1 per week). Possibly YYZ once a week ?

We used to have the following transatlantic flights about 10 years ago.....

Zoom
B767-300 to YYZ once per week
B757-200 to YYZ once per week
B767-300 to YVR once per week

XL Airways
B747-200 to SFB once per week

Monarch Airlines
A330-200 to SFB once per week

Thomson Airways
B767-300 to SFB once per week
B767-300 to CUN once per week
B767-300 to POP once per week

I remember those years pretty well as the flights especially those to Canada were always good pretty full in both economy and premium economy.

A320.b744
27th Jan 2018, 15:51
cwlwatcher

Shannon is a completely different market to Cardiff. The vast majority of transatlantic passengers are US tourists who have roots in Ireland. If you look at Shannon's transatlantic destination list, they're all in the heavily Irish-populated North East. Wales simply doesn't have as strong a link with the US, and would struggle to sustain a transatlantic link.

Larger UK airports have a) lost or b) never had transatlantic services, so I doubt that airlines will be looking at Cardiff, which is a much smaller market. I do think that eventually Cardiff will see a Norwegian-style service, or perhaps indirect links via Keflavik.

cwlwatcher
27th Jan 2018, 16:20
Yeah wow failed at bfs so doubt we will get them here. i guess the shannon routes are heavily subsidised by the government?

edi_local
27th Jan 2018, 18:34
EL,

Your profile suggests that you live in EDI so besides GLA and perhaps NCL you are stuck with it and need to take whatever flight options are available locally.

From EDI you don't have similarly convenient alternatives but from south-west England, indeed south Wales itself, you do with BHX and the LON airports, the problem isn't with CWL, the problem is QR connections via DOH and there are plenty of alternative airlines from the other airports.

"stuck with it"?

I'm perfectly happy with the range of choices from central Scotland. I've barely had to go from or via England for several years now unless LON/MAN/BHX are my final destinations. I can think of one occasion 2 years ago when I flew to Montenegro, I had to take a train to Manchester. I can accept that. There is a wide range of options for me to choose from. I'm not sure what negative image you're trying to paint. I don't really need "similarly convenient alternatives" as all my needs are more than catered for from either EDI or GLA. Other than Tivat there hasn't been anywhere I've needed to go in the last 4 years that has required me to look beyond Scotland and in that time I've been to about 30 odd countries.

You can complain about connection times, that's fine, it's not something I have ever had an issue with on QR but to a lot of people that won't matter, and in most cases, if you shift the date either way by a day you'll see the connection time drop. I won't be perfect for 100% of the people 100% of the time, but then no airline can get that. If you kept the flight at the same time each day it would inevitably mean some destinations are missed totally, so the split timing idea is the best way to catch as many people as possible. If QR starts seeing missed opportunities or a demand in people seeking a connection that doesn't work well, so they are going to the competition, then I am sure they will do what needs to be done to rectify it.

MerchantVenturer
27th Jan 2018, 18:39
Just read an article on "aviation wales". it suggested that cardiff needs a transatlantic link to reach the 2020 target. surely cardiff can get norwegian/primera? look at shannon in ireland. around the same size as cardiff and has 6 airlines to 7 north american destinations. thoughts and opinions please :)

I don't know how well informed the author of the Aviation Wales article is but he cites 'sources' saying that CWL is in 'advanced talks' with 'at least one, probably two' US carriers and believes that a link to either Chicago, Washington or Atlanta is more likely than New York or Florida which he describes as 'already saturated' markets. He must be speaking generally as they are not saturated from CWL because there are no direct routes from there.

He projects possible passenger figures for a 3 x weekly service to one of the above three airports, but also believes that Primera or Norwegian could be options.

I would have thought that, if anything, Primera or Norwegian is more likely than a US carrier.

The US references in the article are part of a wide-ranging musing into the ways that CWL might reach its targeted 2 mppa by 2020.

Welshguy68
27th Jan 2018, 19:03
Airtours also done Orlando 767 and 747 was used
Plus Travel City direct 747
Zoom aslo done vancouer 1 flight per week

Welshguy68
27th Jan 2018, 19:08
Toronto was year round 3 or 4 flights a week in summer

Jerry123
27th Jan 2018, 19:24
The problem for CWL is that although it has a good history of Orlando and Caribbean flights there are really only 4 airlines in the UK it can go to. TUI,Thomas Cook, Virgin Atlantic and BA. One those doesn't operate long haul at airports outside of London and the other 3 do operate regionally but all benefit by sucking passengers out of CWLs catchment area to top up there other airports. So realistically CWL has to either find a new airline or offer the other 4 amazing terms to operate from the airport that they can't turn it down. Will be interesting to see if get a carrier back on the Orlando route in the future.

snn20
27th Jan 2018, 19:37
cwlwatchers

I am from Shannon myself. Shannon and Cardiff are different markets. Tourism is the main reason for the many North American flights as is the cluster of US Multinationals and the improving economy. None of the transatlantic flights are subsidized by the government. in fact only 2 domestic routes in Ireland are. CWL and SNN are 2 different markets in 2 different countries.

caaardiff
28th Jan 2018, 08:17
2007 was certainly a good year for long haul.

There were only 1 or 2 direct Zoom flights a week on the 757. The 767 flights were split with LGW for YYZ and BFS for YVR.

XL used an Air Atlanta 747-300 from 2004-2007 onward with 520 seats. I think 2007 was the last year the 747 was used before it switched to an XL Airways A330.
The peak season seats to Orlando were in excess of 1000 per week and there was a decent schedule to Canada too.

I'm confident that there will be a long haul operation summer 2019. When do the Tour Operators release their S19 holidays?

Jerry123
28th Jan 2018, 09:13
Long haul wise both Thomas Cook and Virgin have packages onsale for S19 but TUI only have until April onsale.

Callum Paterson
28th Jan 2018, 11:12
What is the obsession with long haul? CWL has very few short haul routes, never mind long haul.

QR has yet to commence operations at CWL. Ever heard the saying learn to walk before you run?

There are far bigger and busier airports around the UK lacking transatlantic fights, and even for those airports it's a distant fantasy.

Jerry123
28th Jan 2018, 11:54
CWL is only trying to gain back what it's lost transatlantic wise. It just wants to get back running and if it thought small it would never have attracted Qatar.

As for short haul that is growing especially the Flybe base. But if other airlines like Ryanair refuse to expand for as has been suggested for fear of harming Bristol or don't want to add more because of priorities elsewhere and in the case if Vueling because they maybe cautious or lack the bases of other airlines, the airport has limited options to grow.

cwlwatcher
28th Jan 2018, 13:04
norwegian to new york, boston and oakland. delta to atlanta. american to philadelphia. united to chicago
if we got all those we would be off to a great start. as i said already shannon in ireland can do it so we can too

LGS6753
28th Jan 2018, 13:05
The Canadian market is in long-term decline due to the ageing of those who emigrated there in the 50s and 60s. It was predominantly a VFR market, and now the F and R are dying off!

Jerry123
28th Jan 2018, 21:01
norwegian to new york, boston and oakland. delta to atlanta. american to philadelphia. united to chicago
if we got all those we would be off to a great start. as i said already shannon in ireland can do it so we can too

NYC and Orlando and increase on the Caribbean and maybe Toronto but honestly the rest you can forget. Like has been said before Shannon is unique because of the Irish-American connection but many of those routes are seasonal i believe and just because routes work from one airport doesn't mean they'll work from another especially if they are in different countries.

Callum Paterson
28th Jan 2018, 21:24
What Caribbean routes does CWL offer?

Jerry123
28th Jan 2018, 21:39
Barbados and Jamaica during the winter with TUI and P&O Cruises.

Callum Paterson
28th Jan 2018, 22:51
I think we're clutching at straw's if we count either of those as destinations from Cardiff. They operate what, two or three times in an entire year?

By that reasoning you can claim any ad-hoc charter flight, say that for a sporting event such as rugby or a World Cup is a destination served from the relevant departure point. It's not.

Jerry123
29th Jan 2018, 03:48
Next winter between the end of November 2018 and April 2019 there will be 10 flights. 4 P&O Barbados flights 3 TUI Barbados flights and 3 TUI Jamaica flights all operated by TUI. Considering they are operating from Cardiff Airport I'd say they were destinations especially as they happen every year whereas Rugby World Cup flights are special events while these are pretty regular through out the winter months.

Callum Paterson
29th Jan 2018, 17:28
As I say, we're clutching at straw's if we count either as a Cardiff destination.

Cardiff's only current long haul destination is Doha. Let's see how that does before we start dreaming off New York, Boston, Barbados and so on.

Jerry123
29th Jan 2018, 17:52
Why would Cardiff need to dream of Barbados when it already has the route! Same with Jamaica! With them it's about growing the frequencies! Last time i checked the Caribbean was considered long haul. And the success of Doha isn't a factor in whether Cardiff can sustain US flights as the 2 are different markets.
I'm all for being realistic but a lot of people are just down right negative when it comes to Cardiff when at other airports they wouldn't be :ugh:

Callum Paterson
29th Jan 2018, 18:11
They are cruise charters. Cardiff does not serve Barbados or Jamaica. Passengers get off the flight and straight onto a cruise ship.

Spending time in either destination is not a option.

If someone from South Wales wants to spend a week in Barbados these fights are as useless as a chocolate fire guard. These fights cannot be used with a land based holiday in Barbados. So just how is Barbados available from Cardiff?

CabinCrewe
29th Jan 2018, 18:39
TUI flights (no matter how infrequent) Cardiff to Barbados can be booked as flight only and therefore your comment regarding combining flights with a non-cruise land-based holiday are factually incorrect.

Jerry123
29th Jan 2018, 18:42
Only the P&O flights are pure cruise.
The TUI flights can be done as cruise only, cruise and stay packages or a package holiday, same with Jamaica. I suggest you look on TUI.com holiday section for Cardiff and for the cruises for TUI look under Cardiff and search with any destinations and they'll come up.

Jerry123
3rd Feb 2018, 11:52
December Stats 2017
80,045 passengers used the airport up 10% on 2016. The rolling year for 2017 was 1,464,180 up 8.9%.
Top 5 routes for December 2017
1. Amsterdam 11,571
2. Dublin 8043
3. Edinburgh 7985
4. Tenerife South 6447
5. Alicante 6062

Top 5 routes by % growth for December 2017
1. Bridgetown +104%
2. Chambery +88%
3. Berlin TXL +59%
4. Anglesey +57%
5. Munich +37%

Jerry123
3rd Feb 2018, 11:53
December Stats 2017

Aberdeen 627 +9%
Anglesey 830 +57%
Belfast City TBA
Edinburgh 7985 +1%
Glasgow 2840 -10%
Humberside 66
Jersey 1206 +12%
Liverpool 40
Manchester 266
Newcastle 787 -12%
Vienna 155
Zagreb 131
Enontekio 187 -51%
Ivalo 358
Chambery 371 +88%
Nice 125
Paris CDG 5653 +4%
Berlin TXL 2171 +59%
Frankfurt Main 48
Munich 2040 +37%
Gibraltar 162
Cork 1463 +35%
Dublin 8043 +11%
Milan 1556 -11%
Rome FCO 1254
Amsterdam 11,751 +16%
Faro 836 +57
Alicante 6062 +3%
Madrid 82
Malaga 4145 +4%
Arrecife 3081 +6%
Las Palmas 1806 +10%
Tenerife South 6447 -5%
Pajala Yllas 379 +2%
Geneva 472 -34%
Zurich 128
Bridgetown 589 +104
Montego Bay 298

flyerboy
5th Feb 2018, 07:44
Looks as though QR have pulled the Monday and Thursday flights for the first 7 weeks of operation.

Jerry123
5th Feb 2018, 08:30
Yep, coincidently timed with Ramadan.
Also it goes weekly at the start of the holiday season which may be a reflection of how seasonal CWL can be.

And now queue the posts of 'it was never going to work' 'they'll drop it before it starts' and 'it's failed before it's started'! Lol

Callum Paterson
5th Feb 2018, 08:32
Hardly an encouraging start for Cardiff's only long haul route.

ATNotts
5th Feb 2018, 08:44
Too early to suggest that, as Jerry123 rightly points out, Ramadan always brings with it a reduction in demand from other airports on services through the Middle East. CWL is likely to be little different.

flyerboy
5th Feb 2018, 09:09
It could be due to Ramadan but that begs the question why put it on sale if you were going to reduce it a few weeks later and thus upsetting pax who would have purchased tickets on flights for those days. Another question is why reduce it from the beginning of May when Ramadan actually runs from 16th May to 15th June. It is all very intriguing but then so is dropping it to 5x weekly for the Southern Hemisphere Summer!

Jerry123
5th Feb 2018, 09:29
Hardly an encouraging start for Cardiff's only long haul route.

3rd long haul route.

Jerry123
5th Feb 2018, 09:32
Probably political pressure for it to be daily and 5 weekly in the winter is more sensible.
It's a new service and will take a while to bed in.

Callum Paterson
5th Feb 2018, 09:41
I'd suggest Ramadan has little to nothing to do with this reduction in frequency.

As correctly pointed out already, why schedule the service to be daily and then reduce to five per week just a few weeks later? Its not as if Ramadan is a pop-up event which QR didn't know about a few weeks ago.

Secondly, the vast, vast majority of passengers using Qatar from CWL will be connecting onward to the likes of Australia, Thailand and so on. Very few will be terminating their journey in Doha.

Thus, the excuse of Ramadan is just that, an excuse.

Jerry123
5th Feb 2018, 10:09
Large parts of SE Asia and the sub continent is Muslim as well. Ramadan is probably just a coincidence after thinking about it and it's more likely to do with the holiday season starting in earnest mid June.

ATNotts
5th Feb 2018, 12:21
If that's the case then I'd be erring on the "glass half empty" side, since the route can't be sustained by family holidaymakers alone. It will need some support from business passengers making use of the front-end seats to be viable.

Jerry123
5th Feb 2018, 15:29
Just seen that TUI have holiday packages to New York onsale for Summer 18 from Cardiff Airport with the flights provided by KLM and Delta Airlines to JFK via Amsterdam.

Callum Paterson
5th Feb 2018, 15:53
Ah, I suppose that's New York now ticked off as another long haul destination from Cardiff then?

Jerry123
5th Feb 2018, 20:39
Nope as it' not a direct destination like Jamaica or Barbados.

Letsflycwl
5th Feb 2018, 20:52
Agree here, both Bridgetown and Montego Bay have been served for many years DIRECT from CWL, yes they are connected with the Caribbean Cruises of P&O and TUI but still served “direct” and that is the key word.

Jerry123
6th Feb 2018, 08:20
A holidaymaker has been jailed for 4 years after attempting to bring 38 prohibited weapons into the country after a returning to Cardiff Airport from a 2 week family holiday in Bulgaria. The defendant claimed they were holiday souvenirs. The items include 7 stun guns disguised as mobile phones and torches, 13 CS gas canisters, 9 knuckle dusters, 6 metal batons, a set of nunchucks and a butterfly knife.
How the hell did he expect to get that lot through security?
://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/holidaymaker-caught-stun-guns-knuckle-14248298#ICID=FB-Wales-main

ericlday
6th Feb 2018, 10:16
It begs the question, what sort of security checks are carried out at the departure airport ?

Jerry123
6th Feb 2018, 11:17
The article said that in Bulgaria those items are all legal so I doubt they were bothered by it. And the departure airport would have been Burgas as that is the only Bulgarian route from Cardiff Airport.

Harry Wayfarers
6th Feb 2018, 11:35
The article said that in Bulgaria those items are all legal so I doubt they were bothered by it. And the departure airport would have been Burgas as that is the only Bulgarian route from Cardiff Airport.

Where I live I can, and do, often carry a police baton and/or pepper spray with me, when passing thru security at the shopping mall they normally don't search me because I am an honest looking foreigner, the one time I joked with them showing to them my baton they laughed thanking me for my honesty taking it from me and issuing me with a receipt, but I know that I would NEVER get thru this tin pot country's airport security with any such device, hell even an electrical cable here is illegal to take on to an aircraft.

Jerry123
6th Feb 2018, 12:07
Maybe Bulgaria is different i don't know plus it may well have been hold luggage not carry on.

Mike Flynn
6th Feb 2018, 16:21
I don't think I would want to live in a city where malls insist you pass through security let alone people carrying pepper spray and a police batton to go shopping Harry.

Anyone who travels with the items confiscated at Cardiff deserves jail time.

The airport security get my praise for their arrivals luggage screening.

Skipness One Echo
6th Feb 2018, 17:03
Airport security are doing arrivals luggage screening? What?

Jerry123
6th Feb 2018, 17:25
I'd have thought that was standard for non domestic and cta flights?

Mike Flynn
6th Feb 2018, 17:26
Customs and Immigration are certainly security in most airports I frequent.
The word is used in the story below...

A holidaymaker has been jailed for four years for trying to bring home 38 weapons which he said were "souvenirs".
Father-of-two Ryan Sullivan, 24, of Cardiff, had been on a break with his girlfriend and children when he returned from Bulgaria in July 2017.
Border Force staff at Cardiff Airport found items including knuckle dusters, stun guns and martial arts weapons, the city's crown court heard.
Sullivan admitting possessing prohibited weapons.
The court heard he tried to smuggle the weapons disguised as mobile phones and torches.
Prosecutor Jeffrey Jones said Sullivan told security they were souvenirs, but added: "There were two stun guns disguised as mobile phones, which were capable of discharging between 5,000 and 8,000 volts.

Man had 38 weapons at Cardiff Airport as 'souvenirs' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-42957188)

Callum Paterson
6th Feb 2018, 17:43
I can't understand the mentality whereby someone would even want to purchase such items as "souvenirs".

A job well done by those who caught this criminal.

Mike Flynn
7th Feb 2018, 06:10
As there was more than one of each item I suspect he was going to sell them on to finance the trip.

Suzeman
7th Feb 2018, 09:49
Customs and Immigration are certainly security in most airports I frequent.
The word is used in the story below...

The UK Border Force (ie Customs and Immigration) is mentioned and they will do random stop and searches on inbound baggage and passengers as well as intelligence led searches. I wonder if there was some intelligence leading to the seizure in this case.

Outbound hold and hand baggage checks are done in the UK by the airport operator which may be using internal staff or approved contractors.

GLAEDI
7th Feb 2018, 10:44
Bourgas is high risk flight so Border Force routinely check. I’m not sure if Cardiff has a overhead x-Ray machine but Border Force usually screen the bags airside. If they suspect something they may have a look inside and then put it back on the belt. So when he walked into the Green Channel the Officers will be there to say a polite hello “do you have anything to declare?” Also they can screen bags in the green channel with a x-Ray machine. They’d arrest and prosecute with the aid of the NCA Border Crime teams. The only airport screening will be done at departure airport and if it’s hold luggage then as long as it doesn’t go bang at 40,000ft then they’ll be no reason the bag won’t travel i.e. firearms are routinely carried in the hold. The Bulgarian Customs wouldn’t have stopped the bag as all the stuff would be lawful there. No CWL airport security staff involved as they don’t have any power to open bags without the consent of the owner. If owner isn’t there they’ll contact Border Force or the Police. For international stuff Border Force has primacy for a few reasons but mainly they don’t require a warrant or permission from the owner to open the bag. Hence if your bag is delayed and you submit a declaration that you have nothing to declare, you’ll find a nice letter from Border Force saying your 1000 fags have been seized as you’re over your 200 Allowance when it’s delivered to your house by the airline.

taffyhammer
7th Feb 2018, 11:22
Skipness one echo - Inbound luggage @ CWL is screened on arrival, and has for a number of years.

Mike Flynn
7th Feb 2018, 17:05
Same with Bristol where the favourite contraband is cigarettes.

caaardiff
10th Feb 2018, 07:38
Cardiff Airport to Doha flights cut due to new plane delays - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-42959775)

QR reduced frequency due to Aircraft delivery delays

EK77WNCL
10th Feb 2018, 20:20
I must say I do find it rather convenient that the aircraft shortages will come to an end just as the ME3 low season ends, right at the end of Ramadan and as the ramp up to the school holidays begins... Before the flight is cut to x5 weekly again for the Winter.

Just had a quick search and I can't find any evidence of frequencies to other destinations being cut due to "aircraft shortages" and considering the current diplomatic situation, I find it difficult to believe that QR are all that stretched. But I'm sure that freeing up 2 frequencies per week is going to make all the difference.

Apologies for the cynicism but when Cardiff-Australia was being sold for as low as £270... I struggle to see how that is at all sustainable

Callum Paterson
11th Feb 2018, 07:55
Indeed. You're absolutely correct. I'm not buying it either.

Harry Wayfarers
11th Feb 2018, 08:03
Apologies for the cynicism but when Cardiff-Australia was being sold for as low as £270... I struggle to see how that is at all sustainable

You think that QR need to make a profit to stay in business?

Callum Paterson
11th Feb 2018, 08:32
Has there been much advertising in Cardiff for the new Qatar route?

Further afield has there been any advertising in Bristol and the South West?

PDXCWL45
11th Feb 2018, 08:54
Yes and there is more to come especially for Bristol and the South West.

Rutan16
11th Feb 2018, 10:29
Jerry Qatar is the only Scheduled long haul route as traditionally defined in the industry - fully flexible ticketing regulated and frequent timed flights .

Offering passenger and cargo capacity into the markets

Range of interline and code shares .

Those TUI flights are charter services and so what you can buy a very limited number of flight only tickets.

Such back filling on charters has existed almost as long as the industry- way before the internet through what were often referred to a bucket shops with telephone numbers usually found in the Sunday supplements and classified adds.

As for Qatar I have said I have doubts on longevity to be honest.

However for the Quetion of Ramadan many Muslim families remain close to home visit family whilst a few may do an Umrah pilgrimage. The majority however don’t tend to travel great distances in numbers.

Air travel drops off significantly.

Emirates sees traffic drop from Manchester and they plan to drop one flight down to a 77w during the same period.

Also expect some drop in traffic at the end of August for Hajj - might be high summer holiday period however it’s certainly not the time to head south east and Doha certainly isn’t Dubai for a holiday break whilst Australia is in there winter !

MerchantVenturer
11th Feb 2018, 13:14
Has there been much advertising in Cardiff for the new Qatar route?

Further afield has there been any advertising in Bristol and the South West?

Yes and there is more to come especially for Bristol and the South West.

Has there? I live in Bristol and the only physical advertisement I've seen is one at Temple Meads railway station. I presume it's still there. Are there any similar ones that I've missed?

I'm told there is also some advertising on a commercial radio station that serves the Bristol area. I wonder how wide an audience that reaches. I suspect that people of my vintage, a likely source of VFR traffic for Qatar, may not be the core audience for such a channel.

I've seen no advertising campaign on Bristol buses, something that Cardiff Airport did many years ago in Bristol and which easyJet and even bmi regional do from time to time in the city. Neither have I seen advertising hoardings in Bristol publicising the CWL Qatar service in the way that Ryanair sometimes splashes its BRS routes.

A few weeks ago the West Country edition of Metro had full-page adverts for the Jet2 flights out of BHX.

Given that the Bristol region is likely to be an essential component of the route's success I was expecting a blitz of advertising in the West Country by now. Some people who have been looking to book VFR flights to Australasia for instance would not be aware. In fact, I know from personal conversations that some weren't (it was surprising how many travellers in the Bristol area were still unaware of the Continental BRS-EWR route at the end of its five and a half year life).

I'm surprised that the Welsh Government hasn't been more vocal and proactive in pushing this route in the West Country. The leadership has said more than once that it believes that CWL can be the long-haul airport for South Wales and the West Country. Here is the chance to put some life into an aspiration yet there is seemingly no urgency to get the West Country on board.

Harry Wayfarers
11th Feb 2018, 13:40
Check my location, I'm on a poxy little island in a tin pot country on the other side of the globe ... And here's a pic of a London bus from a couple of years back!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-Qw1tjCYAAP6Hm.jpg

PDXCWL45
11th Feb 2018, 16:58
Merchant Venturer

I believe the advertising campaign for the South West will start in earnest soon but i don't know what the airport has planned. I'm concerned now that they may be limited by their budget and that the Welsh government hasn't set aside extra money for advertising this particular route as though there has been plenty of newspaper and radio adverts even Classic FM there hasn't been any TV stuff yet.
Apart from an event in Doha the Welsh government doesn't seem to be doing much to promote the route and may be leaving the other side of the bridge to the Welsh Office.

PDXCWL45
13th Feb 2018, 21:08
Cardiff Airport has opened the new part of the departure lounge. From the photos it looks a lot more spacious. Apparently there is still some furniture to be added.

bycrewlgw
16th Feb 2018, 11:16
Level sees CWL as a potential U.K. hub should APD be reformed along with several other U.K. airports. Let’s hope it gets reformed :-)

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/277210/levels-expansion-plans-hurt-by-apd/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=the-hub&utm_campaign=the-hub-EU&utm_content=the-hub-20180216

crackling jet
16th Feb 2018, 15:39
eee, the last time I saw the a/c reg G-WLAD it was on the old Cymru BAC 1-11 back in the 80's. The one that had to have an engineer standing by to belt the crap out of one of the starter motors to get it to disengage, as once it started it would not shut off and the engine noise just kept getting higher and higher, many a time I beat a hasty retreat when in close proximity to it

Letsflycwl
16th Feb 2018, 16:26
bycrewlgw

Now that would be a good result if this actually happened, APD needs to be devolved to the Welsh Government as it is in Scotland and Northern Ireland.....no reason that Wales should not have it either.

If it’s good for the other countries within the UK then it should apply to Wales

SWBKCB
17th Feb 2018, 09:19
Leaving aside that NI doesn't have a govt to devolve anything to, has APD been devolved to NI or was their just a reduction for long-haul?

yeo valley
17th Feb 2018, 18:01
The APD devolved towards united staying on the EWR route. It did not get devolved to any other route/airline.

airvanman
17th Feb 2018, 18:21
Qatar
I'll get some more popcorn. Cardiff is my fav PPRuNe soap. I think they will fall out with CWL and leg it after having it off for a bit. CWL punching above it's weight again. Duff Duff Duff!

cwlwatcher
17th Feb 2018, 18:30
Typical negativity when something good happens to Cardiff! Have you the number the bookings? no. so how do you know?

Reversethrustset
17th Feb 2018, 19:34
airvanman, you don't "think" they will fall out with Cardiff, you "hope" they'll fall out with Cardiff. Just what exactly is your problem and beef?

cwlwatcher
18th Feb 2018, 15:49
any new airlines /routes in the pipeline?

PDXCWL45
18th Feb 2018, 17:52
Nothing concrete at the moment. Hopefully though in the long term CWL will be able to attract Jet2 as they'd be great for the airport.

LGS6753
26th Feb 2018, 12:47
Iceland Air offering flights CWL-KEF on 26th April dep CWL 1415 and 1st May arr CWL 1815

PDXCWL45
28th Feb 2018, 20:23
According to travel weekly Thomas Cook will bring back Tunisia for Summer 2019.

cwlwatcher
2nd Mar 2018, 20:13
Anyone have caa stats for JAN

MARKEYD
2nd Mar 2018, 21:48
There up and running on the CAA web site for January

PDXCWL45
2nd Mar 2018, 22:14
CAA stats for January 2018.
70,297 passengers passed through the airport up 7.2% on 2017. The rolling year is 1,468,887 up 8.8% on 2017.
Atm's are 1082 down 6.6%, the rolling year was 16,870 up 4.5% on 2017.

Top 5 routes for January 2018.
1. Amsterdam 10,716
2. Dublin 6882
3. Edinburgh 6862
4. Alicante 6483
5. Tenerife South 6320

PDXCWL45
2nd Mar 2018, 22:18
Thomas Cook have added a 1 weekly Enfidha on Wednesdays for Summer 2019.

Harry Wayfarers
3rd Mar 2018, 12:43
How is the weather, the ground conditions, 55cm of snow in St. Athan apparantlly?

cwlwatcher
3rd Mar 2018, 12:45
Thomas Cook have added a 1 weekly Enfidha on Wednesdays for Summer 2019.
great boost for the airport well needed

PDXCWL45
3rd Mar 2018, 13:11
The airport is open, along with the roads to the airport apart from 5 mile lane from what i've seen online. I don't live near St Athan I live in Cardiff and things are starting to thaw so conditions should be improved tomorrow. Flybe have cancelled their flights for today but Vueling and TUI are operating today. Hopefully the airport will be back to normal tomorrow.

PDXCWL45
3rd Mar 2018, 13:13
great boost for the airport well needed
It looks like they've dropped a PMI rotation to fit it in.

Harry Wayfarers
3rd Mar 2018, 13:22
The airport is open, along with the roads to the airport apart from 5 mile lane from what i've seen online. I don't live near St Athan I live in Cardiff and things are starting to thaw so conditions should be improved tomorrow. Flybe have cancelled their flights for today but Vueling and TUI are operating today. Hopefully the airport will be back to normal tomorrow.

https://scontent.fcgy1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/28575892_2050395795203812_3765827768191933563_n.jpg?_nc_eui2 =v1%3AAeG9QLHijqjlm9CugEKkjtVb-J7F_K18qupH_ciblMkNVRhrG_MUNlaaNyXpzUEJERIt5p2SaGQmF1dKD6pQd M6g8nMd0CLR-66UcI4entcQFQ&oh=80aa1444976f04bc7cb2fe6926ed5831&oe=5B0DF1D1

PDXCWL45
6th Mar 2018, 09:34
Flybe are planning to add a 4th based aircraft to their Cardiff base potentially for Summer 2019 and are looking at new routes to Spain, the UK, Germany and Italy.
https://www.insidermedia.com/insider/wales/flybe-invests-in-a-third-aircraft-for-cardiff

Wycombe
6th Mar 2018, 13:07
That implies that the current Dash is being replaced with a 175?

PDXCWL45
6th Mar 2018, 13:37
That implies that the current Dash is being replaced with a 175?

It is. The base will be 2 E195s and 1 E175 until the end of June then become 1 E195 and 2 E175s from then on. Whether the proposed 4th based aircraft will be an E jet or Q400 the article doesn't say.

Letsflycwl
7th Mar 2018, 12:11
Let’s hope we see PRG return to CWL with the planned Flybe expansion and a twice weekly fit would fit in well with their programme and fleet.

Would love to see some more French regional airports too, guess it’s a waiting game to find out their plans

PDXCWL45
7th Mar 2018, 12:42
Let’s hope we see PRG return to CWL with the planned Flybe expansion and a twice weekly fit would fit in well with their programme and fleet.

Would love to see some more French regional airports too, guess it’s a waiting game to find out their plans

Flybe's Winter 2018/19 schedule will be released tommorrow so fingers crossed!

Reversethrustset
7th Mar 2018, 13:32
I can't imagine there will be any new routes because the schedule is already full with existing routes. You'll probably see new routes if and when the 4th aircraft is announced officially, which won't be till summer 19 at the very earliest.

PDXCWL45
7th Mar 2018, 13:51
I can't imagine there will be any new routes because the schedule is already full with existing routes. You'll probably see new routes if and when the 4th aircraft is announced officially, which won't be till summer 19 at the very earliest.
This winters schedule wasn't completely full. I'm pretty sure there were gaps where the aircraft were parked up between flights on some days. If there is anything new we'll find out tommorrow.

Letsflycwl
7th Mar 2018, 16:27
I see Norwegian are looking at starting flights to Canada from the regions.....

Would be great to see Norwegian schedules from CWL

Reversethrustset
7th Mar 2018, 16:57
This winters schedule wasn't completely full. I'm pretty sure there were gaps where the aircraft were parked up between flights on some days. If there is anything new we'll find out tommorrow.

You're correct, they were parked up for exactly that, it's winter and most, if not every airline runs a reduced schedule for obvious reasons. I'll be very, very surprised if we see "new" routes announced. I'm always happy to be proved wrong of course.

PDXCWL45
9th Mar 2018, 16:48
Flybe have released their Winter 2018/19 schedule, nothing new i'm afraid but Geneva does go 2 weekly.
Dublin is 14 weekly
Edinburgh and Belfast 12 weekly
Paris CDG 7 weekly
Glasgow is 6 weekly
Cork and Jersey and Munich are 3 weekly
Faro, Berlin, Geneva, Milan and Rome are 2 weekly
Chambery is 1 weekly

joshua33
11th Mar 2018, 01:45
How are the forward bookings on the new QR service? My family is certainly trying to support it haha, we've got 11 family members flying out to SIN in July for a wedding, and another 5 flying to BKK for holiday in October, then 6 people flying to MNL in November. All flights were around £450-£500 return, which is great especially considering the saving in fuel driving to LHR.

PDXCWL45
12th Mar 2018, 09:30
How are the forward bookings on the new QR service? My family is certainly trying to support it haha, we've got 11 family members flying out to SIN in July for a wedding, and another 5 flying to BKK for holiday in October, then 6 people flying to MNL in November. All flights were around £450-£500 return, which is great especially considering the saving in fuel driving to LHR.
No one will really know apart from the airport and the airline.
It is definitely more convenient than Heathrow!

PDXCWL45
19th Mar 2018, 15:13
P&O Cruises Winter 2019/20

P&O Cruises will have 4 fly cruise packages onsale flying from Cardiff Airport to Barbados for Winter 2019/20.
8th November to 22nd November 2019.
29th November to 13th December 2019.
31st January to 14th February 2020.
22nd February to 7th March 2020.
All depart and return on a Friday.
The cruises go onsale from 21st and 22nd March.
http://www.pocruises.com/find-and-b...ionids=3&departuremonths=201911,202001,202002

PDXCWL45
24th Mar 2018, 08:51
The new airbridge has been fitted now. Also the stands in that area will be reconfigured with 2 new ones 7L and 8R being created with 7L being the wide body stand. 8R will be inbetween 8 and 7 and stand 7 will be moved up a bit.
Also the Welsh government will invest £6 million more into the airport in return for more equity. More terminal building upgrades have been mentioned along with a logistics hub.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/reasons-welsh-government-made-6m-14446093

SWBKCB
24th Mar 2018, 09:08
While I appreciate that state aid is a dark art, does make you wonder what does qualify as state aid if this doesn't. Shame this sort of facility isn't available to all airports in the UK.

PDXCWL45
24th Mar 2018, 10:33
While I appreciate that state aid is a dark art, does make you wonder what does qualify as state aid if this doesn't. Shame this sort of facility isn't available to all airports in the UK.

Advantage of having our own government is that infrastructure like airports can be run more for the benefit of the country and the government can take a longer view investment wise.

Harry Wayfarers
24th Mar 2018, 11:37
airports can be run more for the benefit of the country

And besides an RAF base in Angelsey and an Airbus facility on the border with England precisely how many commercial airports would that be?

PDXCWL45
24th Mar 2018, 11:45
And besides an RAF base in Angelsey and an Airbus facility on the border with England precisely how many commercial airports would that be?
Doesn't really matter whether it's 1 or 5.

PDXCWL45
25th Mar 2018, 21:02
On CWLs twitter account they have tweeted about an announcement tomorrow by one of the airports airline.
https://twitter.com/Cardiff_Airport/status/977987924766707712?s=19

Letsflycwl
26th Mar 2018, 07:07
On CWLs twitter account they have tweeted about an announcement tomorrow by one of the airports airline.
https://twitter.com/Cardiff_Airport/status/977987924766707712?s=19

Yeah I’ve seen that tweet, an existing airlines making an announcement today......I wonder what it’ll be ?

New BE destinations ?
New FR destinations ?
New MT destinations ?
Long haul from MT ?
New TUI destinations ?

Severn
26th Mar 2018, 07:15
Looks that TUI will base a third shorthaul aircraft as of summer 2019 with new routes to Dubrovnik and Naples. No longhaul announcement though, Doncaster gets an Orlando route.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/tui-adding-more-destinations-choice-14454913

Letsflycwl
26th Mar 2018, 08:13
That’s quite a nice surprise announcement from TUI, so HRG appears to be year round now, new flights to NAP & DBV and extra flights to MAH, PFO and a few others.

3 aircraft based for Summer 2019

PDXCWL45
28th Mar 2018, 13:19
Balkan Holidays have put Summer 2019 onsale. It's 1 weekly on Sundays from 12th May to the 23rd of September and it will go 2 weekly with the addition of a Thursday flight from the 18th July to 12th of September. Flight times for both Thursdays and Sundays are BOJ-CWL 10.10-11.50 CWL-BOJ 12.40-18.10

PDXCWL45
1st Apr 2018, 20:04
Qatar Airways inaugural flight to Cardiff on the 1st May will be with an A350.

ensiferum23
2nd Apr 2018, 11:53

What is your source young man?

PDXCWL45
2nd Apr 2018, 12:05
The Qatar Airways twitter feed and I've seen screenshots of messages in which their customer service people confirm it. It'll be good pr for the route and the airport and the wings are made in Wales as well.

andrew1968
2nd Apr 2018, 12:09

Post on Qatar Airways Twitter feed from the airlines Vice President of marketing.

ensiferum23
3rd Apr 2018, 07:18
The Qatar Airways twitter feed and I've seen screenshots of messages in which their customer service people confirm it. It'll be good pr for the route and the airport and the wings are made in Wales as well.

Diolch yn fawr

Skipness One Echo
3rd Apr 2018, 09:38
Great way to sell the comfort of the Dreamliner that will be operating the route......?

PDXCWL45
3rd Apr 2018, 10:35
Great way to sell the comfort of the Dreamliner that will be operating the route......?

Well there is a Welsh connection in that the A350 wings are made in Wales and i also believe that they launched Dublin the same way.

Letsflycwl
5th Apr 2018, 08:39
Looks like TUI are also returning to Tunisia from CWL for Summer 2019.

Enfidha flights are available for booking, every Friday with TUI flight numbers as of May 2019.

I wonder why this was not announced last week along with DBV, HRG & NAP ??

PDXCWL45
5th Apr 2018, 12:13
This is what Summer 2019 looks like for CWL at the moment. All flights look like they are on TUI aircraft.

Bourgas 1 weekly Monday
Dubrovnik 1 weekly Thursday NEW route
Larnaca 1 weekly Sunday
Paphos 2 weekly Wednesday and Sunday increase of 1 weekly flight
Hurghada 1 weekly Monday
Corfu 2 weekly Monday and Friday increase of 1 weekly flight
Heraklion 1 weekly Tuesday
Kefalonia 1 weekly Tuesday
Kos 2 weekly Wednesday and Saturday increase of 1 weekly flight
Rhodes 2 weekly Wednesday and Saturday increase of 1 weekly flight
Zante 2 weekly Thursday and Sunday increase of 1 weekly flight
Naples 1 weekly Wednesday NEW route
Faro 1 weekly Thursday
Alicante 2 weekly Tuesday and Saturday
Gran Canaria 1 weekly Saturday
Ibiza 3 weekly Monday, Wednesday and Saturday
Lanzarote 2 weekly Thursday and Sunday
Malaga 2 weekly Wednesday and Sunday
Menorca 3 weekly Monday, Friday and Saturday increase of 1 weekly
Palma de Mallorca 6 weekly Monday, Tuesday, Friday x2, Saturday and Sunday increase of 1 weekly flight.
Reus 1 weekly Tuesday
Tenerife South 2 weekly Tuesday and Friday
Enfidha 1 weekly Friday NEW route
Antalya 1 weekly Thursday
Dalaman 2 weekly Monday and Thursday decrease of 1 weekly flight
44 weekly flights
In summary TUI Summer 2019 is 3 based aircraft, Paphos, Corfu, Kos, Rhodes, Zante, Menorca and Palma de Mallorca each get an extra weekly flight. Dalaman goes down from 3 weekly to 2 weekly. Total of 44 weekly flights.
Naples, Dubrovnik and Enfidha are new routes while Hurghada goes year round.
On the holiday website there are also holidays available for Montenegro using the Dubrovnik flights.
On Friday 1 aircraft does a W pattern to Corfu for Bournemouth.

PDXCWL45
5th Apr 2018, 12:14
Looks like TUI are also returning to Tunisia from CWL for Summer 2019.

Enfidha flights are available for booking, every Friday with TUI flight numbers as of May 2019.

I wonder why this was not announced last week along with DBV, HRG & NAP ??

Probably because it's not a new route as it's already onsale with Thomas Cook.

PDXCWL45
6th Apr 2018, 18:37
The inaugural Qatar Airways flight on Tuesday 1st May 2018 will be on an A350 900 and will arrive at 12.50 and depart at 15.55.

PDXCWL45
12th Apr 2018, 19:22
Stats for March 2018 from the airport.
96,767 passengers passed through the airport up 11% on 2017.
The rolling year was 1,488,000 up 10% on 2017.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2018/04/12/financial-year-at-cardiff-airport-ends-with-more-passenger-growth/

PDXCWL45
17th Apr 2018, 09:03
The suggested routes for the new bypass from the M4 to the A48 have been released for consultation.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/exact-routes-new-road-linking-14537704

PDXCWL45
18th Apr 2018, 11:01
The official opening of the new departure lounge is happening this morning. Also noticed that some of the seats now have charging points.
https://twitter.com/ILovesTheDiff/status/986502074509688833?s=19
Also work is being undertaken to create 2 new stands and reposition stand 7 for the new airbridge to get everything ready for Qatar who start flying to Cardiff in 13 days time.

PDXCWL45
18th Apr 2018, 12:53
As part of the new upgrades Cardiff Airport now has a new business lounge called 51°.
www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2018/04/18/cardiff-airports-terminal-improvements-unveiled/

SWBKCB
18th Apr 2018, 12:54
All they have to do now is earn the money to make the re-payments! :ok:

PDXCWL45
18th Apr 2018, 13:25
All they have to do now is earn the money to make the re-payments! :ok:

Yep and the more people coming through the airport the more they earn!

VickersVicount
22nd Apr 2018, 21:11
Why is QR down to 5 times per week instead of initially launched daily for first few months, take up less than expected?

EI-A330-300
22nd Apr 2018, 22:18
Why is QR down to 5 times per week instead of initially launched daily for first few months, take up less than expected?

Perhaps launching during ramadan and lower travel period wasn't a good idea. Most routes see a dip in numbers.

bycrewlgw
23rd Apr 2018, 02:20

Discussed above. QR have blamed delays in delivery for this. Goes daily from June.

Fares for the first week are still quite low. Off to Aus the start of May and looked at the fares. They do increase later on which suggests that take up has been ok. Obviously only QR and CWL will know. The business fares remain consistent with some of the saver business gone already.

We all know that it’s a gamble but I’m sure the experts have done their research. I expect (just a gut feeling) that they’ll convert the 788 to 321neo when delivered.

PDXCWL45
23rd Apr 2018, 05:31
Discussed above. QR have blamed delays in delivery for this. Goes daily from June.

Fares for the first week are still quite low. Off to Aus the start of May and looked at the fares. They do increase later on which suggests that take up has been ok. Obviously only QR and CWL will know. The business fares remain consistent with some of the saver business gone already.

We all know that it’s a gamble but I’m sure the experts have done their research. I expect (just a gut feeling) that they’ll convert the 788 to 321neo when delivered.

The key factors will be cargo and the take up of the Business Class cabin. The route is new and will take time to mature just like the Flybe routes when they first started and no one knows what they'll use the A321neo for.

ATNotts
23rd Apr 2018, 07:22
The key factors will be cargo and the take up of the Business Class cabin. The route is new and will take time to mature just like the Flybe routes when they first started and no one knows what they'll use the A321neo for.

At least Qatar have deep enough pockets to give the route a chance to develop. Were Flybe not the beneficiaries of generous sweeteners from the airport owners (coincidentally the Welsh government) you may find that they would be a deal ruthless with regard to route performance.

The proof of all puddings is what happens when the deals (and the same goes for Doncaster in that respect) run out.

PDXCWL45
23rd Apr 2018, 07:44
At least Qatar have deep enough pockets to give the route a chance to develop. Were Flybe not the beneficiaries of generous sweeteners from the airport owners (coincidentally the Welsh government) you may find that they would be a deal ruthless with regard to route performance.

The proof of all puddings is what happens when the deals (and the same goes for Doncaster in that respect) run out.

Flybe have said they are looking at a 4th based aircraft for 2019 and the agreement was for 2. They must be happy and see a future at CWL to publicly say they are thinking of it.
People criticise the Welsh government for incentivising Flybe yet that happens all over the industry in various ways from cheap handling fees, free marketing, to giving certain airlines the best gates, in the end Cardiff needed a based airline to develop a route network and Flybe needed a home for some jets.
Qatar start in 8 days time and I'm sure Mays stats will be interesting to see!

ATNotts
23rd Apr 2018, 07:59
Flybe have said they are looking at a 4th based aircraft for 2019 and the agreement was for 2. They must be happy and see a future at CWL to publicly say they are thinking of it.
People criticise the Welsh government for incentivising Flybe yet that happens all over the industry in various ways from cheap handling fees, free marketing, to giving certain airlines the best gates, in the end Cardiff needed a based airline to develop a route network and Flybe needed a home for some jets.
Qatar start in 8 days time and I'm sure Mays stats will be interesting to see!

Incentives are part and parcel of all industries, and of course airports are no exception, however if it hadn't been for a political decision many years ago most UK airports would probably still be quasi public owned. Fact is that in both Scotland and Wales the governments have taken steps to wrest control back into public hands, which could, in some cases put some English airports at a disadvantage.

As I suggested, it's not from where the incentive comes or came, it's the commercial decisions that may be made after incentives run out, and that applies to all airports. When the E195s have gone, which won't be that long now, Flybe will be under pressure to put their fleet resources where they make the biggest return and it will be interesting to see where that is, and given the reduction in overall capacity, where the axe will fall - not necessarily at Cardiff, could be anywhere, including their major bases - MAN, BHX and SOU.

Reversethrustset
23rd Apr 2018, 11:59
Hasn't the funding been discussed to death over the last 3 years? It isn't anything new.
Flybe have 4 x 175 deliveries this year into next year. CWL is performing very well and when the 195s go it'll be performing even better, the fact that the funding is helping massively is largely irrelevant, the time when it will matter is when the deal comes to an end in 7 years time, only then we'll see the strategy of both parties.

ATNotts
23rd Apr 2018, 13:54
Flybe have 4 x 175 deliveries this year into next year. CWL is performing very well and when the 195s go it'll be performing even better, the fact that the funding is helping massively is largely irrelevant, the time when it will matter is when the deal comes to an end in 7 years time, only then we'll see the strategy of both parties.

In point of fact, although FlyBe have orders for 4 additional E175s, only one, according to Jethros, is for delivery in 2019. The other 3 have no fixed delivery dates as yet, and have probably been deferred.

It has also been stated publicly that the current management at FlyBe is reducing it's fleet, and that can only impact less well performing routes. Whether any of these prove to effect Cardiff only time will tell. How anyone outside FlyBe can state categorically that the Cardiff base is doing well, or badly, is beyond me. Anyone with insider knowledge shouldn't be posting it here. Bums on seats aren't a measure of how well routes are doing, it's the revenue that is crucial. I wish CWL no ill will whatsoever, but sometimes allowing the head to over rule the heart is a good policy.

PDXCWL45
23rd Apr 2018, 19:07
In point of fact, although FlyBe have orders for 4 additional E175s, only one, according to Jethros, is for delivery in 2019. The other 3 have no fixed delivery dates as yet, and have probably been deferred.

It has also been stated publicly that the current management at FlyBe is reducing it's fleet, and that can only impact less well performing routes. Whether any of these prove to effect Cardiff only time will tell. How anyone outside FlyBe can state categorically that the Cardiff base is doing well, or badly, is beyond me. Anyone with insider knowledge shouldn't be posting it here. Bums on seats aren't a measure of how well routes are doing, it's the revenue that is crucial. I wish CWL no ill will whatsoever, but sometimes allowing the head to over rule the heart is a good policy.

Can only look at the evidence on hand and that suggests the Flybe operation is growing and doing well. Only Flybe and the airport will have the finer details and they aren't going to release it to the likes of me!
As for the future only Flybe and the airport know IF they'll continue to add extra aircraft as was mentioned in a press article earlier in the year and what extra frequencies they'll add and what new routes if any they'll add or are looking to add. If i'm correct it'll be around September time that we'll find out if they are going to add a 4th aircraft and if they'll keep expanding.

Reversethrustset
25th Apr 2018, 03:46
I wouldn't take what's posted on Jethro's as gospel for what happens in reality, after all, it's a 1 man band upgrading his website based on what information he gets. It's very good but there's nothing official about it so when you say they've probably been deferred, well that just proves the point I've just made, Jethro's doesn't know everything. It's almost as bad as going to Wikipedia for hard facts.
For the record, if you're referring to me personally (which you must be because you quoted me) how do you know I'm outside Flybe? Well I'm not, I've worked at Flybe for a long time and no insider or confidential information has ever been posted by myself. Stating CWL is performing well does not constitute posting sensitive information. If I told you the inner workings of the business then I'd agree with you, but to just say "it's performing well" doesn't matter one jot to anyone. Let's just say I know what I'm talking about regarding it performing well, how do I know this? I have been told by someone higher up, and the ONLY thing I was told is exactly that, it's performing well, those exact words, nothing more, nothing less. Also do you honestly believe I think the measure of performance is about bums on seats and not revenue, seriously? That's like telling a 50 year old how to cross a road.

yeo valley
25th Apr 2018, 06:53
Guess we will find out rougly how they doing when funding runs out.

PDXCWL45
25th Apr 2018, 07:08
Guess we will find out rougly how they doing when funding runs out.
Why does everyone assume there is a continuous subsidy? It could just be a lump sum at the beginning of the deal.

Reversethrustset
25th Apr 2018, 09:22
Well the deal has 7 years to run, so sit back a while. Remember too that the deal was for 2 aircraft, well it now has 3 and there's rumours of a 4th, so yes, it must be all about the funding why it's doing well. I'm pretty sure there's some sad and pathetic people on here that actually wants it to fail.

caaardiff
25th Apr 2018, 09:35
No-one really knows the deal but the general perception is the WG are leasing 2 aircraft and have decided on the routes those aircraft will operate with a view of connecting South Wales to various cities with some extra capacity on 'sun' routes. Anything above that I would expect BE are operating on their own back with their own financial involvement. Given that it's grown to 3 and maybe soon 4 aircraft would give confidence that the routes BE are operating on their own merit have commercial viability and can work well in conjuntion with the other 'city' routes that may well be taking longer to mature. Yes the big question is what happens with those routes at the end of the deal, which is several years away.

SWBKCB
25th Apr 2018, 10:35
No-one really knows the deal but the general perception is the WG are leasing 2 aircraft and have decided on the routes those aircraft will operate with a view of connecting South Wales to various cities with some extra capacity on 'sun' routes

Really? Would love to see the "state aid" justification for that approach.

caaardiff
25th Apr 2018, 11:05
Given that it's been running for 3 years it doesn't seem to have been an issue so far...

PDXCWL45
26th Apr 2018, 08:15
Icelandair from Akureyri is due in at 13.15 and it looks like its going to be a 757 200. It's then due to depart to Keflavik at 14.15
Nice to see something different at the airport !

Jersey32D
26th Apr 2018, 13:20
Icelandair from Akureyri is due in at 13.15 and it looks like its going to be a 757 200. It's then due to depart to Keflavik at 14.15
Nice to see something different at the airport !

Atlantic Airways were in yesterday on a charter from Vagar with an A320.

PDXCWL45
26th Apr 2018, 13:24
Atlantic Airways were in yesterday on a charter from Vagar with an A320.
They are back again on the 29th as well.

Severn
30th Apr 2018, 23:42
The first Qatar Airways flight from Doha to Cardiff (QR323) on Tuesday 1st May is scheduled to be on A7-ALU, A350-941XWB.
This particular aircraft is brand new, being delivered to Qatar only a week ago on the 24th April 2018. Since then it has been to Malé twice, Amman, Kuwait, Geneva and Zurich.
It is configured with 36 Business Class and 247 Economy seats. The B787-8 aircraft which will be used on the route going forward will have 22 Business Class and 232 Economy seats.

TOM100
1st May 2018, 06:51
Wonder what the loads will be like ?

ATNotts
1st May 2018, 07:05
Wonder what the loads will be like ?

Whatever they are going forward one thing you can be sure of is that today's loads won't be a true indicator - probably hoards of politicians, dignitaries and journalists among the fare paying public.

PDXCWL45
1st May 2018, 07:16
Whatever they are going forward one thing you can be sure of is that today's loads won't be a true indicator - probably hoards of politicians, dignitaries and journalists among the fare paying public.
Carwyn Jones, Alun Cairns and Roger Lewis are all on the inaugural flight. No doubt there'll be some Qatari dignitaries as well.

ATNotts
1st May 2018, 07:43
Carwyn Jones, Alun Cairns and Roger Lewis are all on the inaugural flight. No doubt there'll be some Qatari dignitaries as well.

Plus "hangers on" from the tourist boards, travel industry, freight industry, key potential manufacturing cargo clients - wouldn't be surprised to see Simon Calder if he can find his way beyond the M25!

PDXCWL45
1st May 2018, 07:53
Plus "hangers on" from the tourist boards, travel industry, freight industry, key potential manufacturing cargo clients - wouldn't be surprised to see Simon Calder if he can find his way beyond the M25!

If Calder turns up then Cardiff knows it's hit the big time! LOL

bycrewlgw
1st May 2018, 08:11
If Calder turns up then Cardiff knows it's hit the big time! LOL

i hope not, he can stay there lol

PDXCWL45
1st May 2018, 15:31
The first Cardiff to Doha flight took off ontime with just under 200 passengers onboard. Great seeing the A350 here! A lovely looking plane!

GayFriendly
1st May 2018, 18:07
Well good luck CWL with QR. A new era for the airport.

Their LF's from BHX, EDI and even MAN have not exactly been stellar of late so I wouldn't worry too much about loads, it seems that QR operate quite differently to most other airlines in this respect. BHX (my local) has been stuck in and around the 70%-80% LF area for a while now.

LAX_LHR
2nd May 2018, 08:27

and no doubt the self appointed ‘worldwide influencer, airline analyst and travel expert’ Alex Macheras would have gotten a freebie too, as he hangs on the QR coat tails too.

Skipness One Echo
2nd May 2018, 08:44
The B787-8 aircraft which will be used on the route going forward will have 22 Business Class and 232 Economy seats.
This shows how much faith QR have in the route that they didn't decide to launch with one of their more controversial "going backwards" aeroplanes.

canberra97
2nd May 2018, 13:11
Just out of curiosity does anyone know why the inaugural Qatar A350 flight didn't use an AirBridge rather than steps?

nsherrin15
2nd May 2018, 13:45
Steps had always been planned for the inaugural flight for publicity purposes (pictures of staff, local politicians on stairs etc). The 788 that operated the flight today is currently attached to the airbridge!

canberra97
2nd May 2018, 22:34
Thanks for the information it's appreciated.

VickersVicount
5th May 2018, 12:02
Well how is QR service going after first few days? No hitches, anectdotal good loads?

PDXCWL45
5th May 2018, 12:15
Well how is QR service going after first few days? No hitches, anectdotal good loads?
From what I've heard it seems to be doing ok. Cargo hold full, loads between 50 to 70% with good uptake in the business class cabin. Still early days and the route needs to mature which will take time but the early signs are positive.
Qatar and the airport also did a great video of the launch!
https://youtu.be/luuntlCstGg

flyerboy
6th May 2018, 12:17
I really don't where you're getting your information but I'm afraid it's so wrong. I think you should wait until the statistics are published before you get too excited. At the moment your source is leading you up the garden path.

PDXCWL45
6th May 2018, 12:24
I really don't where you're getting your information but I'm afraid it's so wrong. I think you should wait until the statistics are published before you get too excited. At the moment your source is leading you up the garden path.
If you have info that i don't then would you care too share it?

bycrewlgw
7th May 2018, 02:45
If you have info that i don't then would you care too share it?

Course he doesn’t, anyone who does have this info from the inside wouldn’t publish it on a forum. You only have to look at his previous posts to see that everything is doom and gloom.

shamrock7seal
7th May 2018, 06:33
Doubt he is on the inside - he is crazy about BRS that's all.

I have no data but I believe that regional UK airports to Middle East is going to be a feature in the next few years. Just look at the capacity being offered from the main airports. Some overflow is bound to happen and should be sustainable.

Emirates, Turkish & Etihad could all be candidates for further UK regional growth only airport runway length will limit the potential.

PDXCWL45
7th May 2018, 07:03
I think Qatar will launch Belfast eventually and i wouldn't be surprised if they launch a Yorkshire airport as well in the long term. I do think one of the attractions of Cardiff for Qatar is cargo so i believe that will be a factor in their decisions of which airports they'll look at.

Haldane90
7th May 2018, 13:46
Doubt he is on the inside - he is crazy about BRS that's all.

I have no data but I believe that regional UK airports to Middle East is going to be a feature in the next few years. Just look at the capacity being offered from the main airports. Some overflow is bound to happen and should be sustainable.

Emirates, Turkish & Etihad could all be candidates for further UK regional growth only airport runway length will limit the potential.

No chance Etihad will be flying to regional airports in the UK anytime soon IMO. The airline is undergoing cut backs worldwide including EDI and with the bad investment choices it made i cant see any signif expansion from them any time soon. Qatar and Turkish are best bet for regional airports with suitable aircraft.

I hope Qatar do well at Cardiff.

PDXCWL45
10th May 2018, 11:50
The 1.5 million passengers mark has been reached.
www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2018/05/10/cardiff-airport-hits-1-5m-milestone/

PDXCWL45
15th May 2018, 11:10
First Qatar diversion was this morning due to fog. It diverted to BHX and the outbound operated from there.

Severn
15th May 2018, 11:52
Some very odd movements on the Qatar schedule/booking system currently.
I first looked at the website timetable which is only showing 5x weekly CWL-DOH as of the beginning of November (Mo, Tu, Th, Fr, Sa) up to the end of March. (Nothing bookable after that point). Wasn't this route supposed to be daily after mid-June onwards throughout the Summer and next Winter?
Then I decided to look for some test-bookings on the Qatar website and I can only seem to book direct flights from CWL-DOH 3x weekly (We, Fr, Sa) from now until 18th June, and then 4x weekly (Mo, We, Fr, Sa) onwards through the Summer until November.
From the 29th October it seems to go 3x weekly (Mo, Fr, Sa) through the Winter...
On the days where it's not going direct it is giving me the option of going via EDI with flybe.

Has anyone any insight into whats going on? If this is the case that the flights have been cut then my trip to Oz in November to and from CWL on a Thursday is going to be royally screwed...

supermarine
15th May 2018, 13:36
Looking fine on my computer, daily flights on the Qatar booking website. I really do not think there is a problem. Try again.

Severn
15th May 2018, 14:27
Looking fine on my computer, daily flights on the Qatar booking website. I really do not think there is a problem. Try again.
Then it's time to get a new computer.
Were you looking at the timetable maybe? Try booking a direct flight on the Qatar website on the 7th August, 9th August or 12th August..... these days do not have direct flights and instead offer a 1-stop via Edinburgh with Flybe.
Like I said, after the 18th June there are only 4x direct flights to DOH a week.

PDXCWL45
15th May 2018, 19:35

There is a problem. According to thier website they've taken an axe to the schedule 2 weeks after launching it! Embarrasing!

OltonPete
15th May 2018, 19:42
There is a problem. According to thier website they've taken an axe to the schedule 2 weeks after launching it! Embarrasing!

Qatar

I am getting the same, 3 a week in June then back to 4 all summer and back to 3 a week in the winter.

I was going to be mean and claim to have seen the minibus bringing the pax up to BHX for the departure but actually it seems a 50 seat coach would have done it!!!!

To provide some balance BHX and EDI loads have been poor for ages so there is hope - just.

Pete

cwlwatcher
15th May 2018, 19:47
crikey whats the average load, does anyone know?

HDP
16th May 2018, 06:11
crikey whats the average load, does anyone know?

My father flew CWL-DOH last week and the economy cabin had 22 passengers. His return in November has a schedule change of +1 day due to the frequency reductions. Might end up flying back into LHR if it doesn't get better!

PDXCWL45
16th May 2018, 07:04
My father flew CWL-DOH last week and the economy cabin had 22 passengers. His return in November has a schedule change of +1 day due to the frequency reductions. Might end up flying back into LHR if it doesn't get better!
Did he fly in on a Tuesday? As it seems the morning flights have been cut.

HDP
16th May 2018, 07:24
Did he fly in on a Tuesday? As it seems the morning flights have been cut.

Yes, exactly.

Heathrow Harry
16th May 2018, 08:15
Be interesting to find out how many sun 'n sand economy pax have ever heard of Qatar or know where it is. Dubai they all know but the rest of the area??????

needs massive advertising and deals until word of mouth takes over

PDXCWL45
16th May 2018, 08:23
Be interesting to find out how many sun 'n sand economy pax have ever heard of Qatar or know where it is. Dubai they all know but the rest of the area??????

Except it's not about people going to Qatar it's about the onward connections also many people that I've spoken to seem to be using it to go to Thailand. The route has been advertised but i do feel they could do more in the South West. Hopefully now they'll settle on the frequency and grow the route.
The negativity though isn't good for the airport as Cardiff is trying to shake off the negative image that it has.

PDXCWL45
16th May 2018, 12:30
It looks like those cut frequencies have been restored.

Centre cities
16th May 2018, 14:44
It looks like those cut frequencies have been restored.

Looks like 5 a week in the winter to me.

Centre cities

PDXCWL45
16th May 2018, 14:59
Looks like 5 a week in he winter to me.

Centre cities
yep that was what it was originally.

PDXCWL45
16th May 2018, 23:30
Cardiff now appears on the Virgin Holidays website and they are selling holidays to the Far East, Middle East and Africa using Qatar Airways and KLM for the flights.

edi_local
18th May 2018, 21:46

There has been a huge push for advertising at CWL itself. A huge chunk of the terminal exterior has a QR wrap around. Not to mention several adverts inside, including huge, ceiling high wall prints and numerous smaller ads placed around the terminal. Not only that but the launch featured heavily on local TV and print media on the day. CWL has also heavily pushed QR on their own channels too. It is certainly being promoted, but perhaps there wasn't much done before the launch, other than inside the QR in-flight magazine. That's all I saw personally. But then I do not frequent Wales, so I can't speak for the local advertising drive pre-launch. I just happened to be in passing through CWL the day after the launch and noticed all the adverts and the big presence QR takes up in the terminal. They are certainly standing out.

Let's see how summer is. Keep in mind right now there are no school holidays for a good few weeks yet and people are not yet used to scheduled long haul from Wales. With the seats only being on sale for a few months prior to the launch, many people going to the places they may do so with QR will likely have booked a lot longer in advance with other carriers. Promoting or even expecting DOH to be a destination in itself is a bit of a stretch. Hardly anyone will go to DOH to holiday. I have had 2 (intentional) long stop overs there over the past 2 or so years, it's fine for a day or 2, but more than that and you're limited. But then DOH is not really sold as a holiday destination, even QR only promote it themselves as a stop over deal for a night or 2. The world cup may change that if more tourist orientated infrastructure is developed. That aside, I'm sure there are more than a few Welsh people working in Qatar who will now use this to come home, many of which may help sustain the J class seats. Cargo may develop into something big too with it cutting out a journey down the motorway from BHX or LON. It's far too early to judge the route IMO.

taffyhammer
19th May 2018, 07:04
I totally agree with edi local, it will more than likely take 9 to 12 months before we see what the passenger numbers will be. Majority of people book long haul travel 6 to 10 months in advance.

CabinCrewe
19th May 2018, 08:07
.... but it was launched, advertised and bookable 6 months+ before first flight?

edi_local
21st May 2018, 10:21
.... but it was launched, advertised and bookable 6 months+ before first flight?

Doesn't change the fact that as of yet QR have not yet been at CWL for the peak season. That is still yet to happen. In a few weeks when the schools are out, the figures will climb. There will be a dip once the school holidays are over, another spike in October and then November is a traditionally dead month for leisure travel from the UK before the Christmas and New Year peak again. That is generally how it goes in this country, but no doubt people will be screaming about low figures again come Autumn.

I honestly cannot believe the negativity on here surrounding QR/CWL. It's a huge boost for Wales and just because it's not been at 100% capacity for the first few weeks people are on a downer. Things take time to gain a foothold! If it was up to some of you I genuinely think you'd have had them packing up and shipping out a week after the launch.

Letsflycwl
21st May 2018, 10:43
Well said !!! Totally agree with you

Midland Alpha9
21st May 2018, 16:18
Doesn't change the fact that as of yet QR have not yet been at CWL for the peak season. That is still yet to happen. In a few weeks when the schools are out, the figures will climb. There will be a dip once the school holidays are over, another spike in October and then November is a traditionally dead month for leisure travel from the UK before the Christmas and New Year peak again. That is generally how it goes in this country, but no doubt people will be screaming about low figures again come Autumn.

I honestly cannot believe the negativity on here surrounding QR/CWL. It's a huge boost for Wales and just because it's not been at 100% capacity for the first few weeks people are on a downer. Things take time to gain a foothold! If it was up to some of you I genuinely think you'd have had them packing up and shipping out a week after the launch.
Well said EDI the normal rule of thumb for a start up route is Year 1 Loss, Year 2 Break even, Year 3 Contribution. Qatar Airways certainly have deeper pockets than some of the startups I have had the pleasure being involved with.
The CEO QR has looked at this for numerous years, he should be applauded for having the vision to take this decision.

VickersVicount
21st May 2018, 16:45
What was the story about Winter QR frequency ? Can only seem to book on 4 days looking in November

PDXCWL45
21st May 2018, 17:08
What was the story about Winter QR frequency ? Can only seem to book on 4 days looking in November
It's definitely 5 weekly in the winter. Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday and Saturday

Letsflycwl
23rd May 2018, 17:26
What’s with the Atlas Air flight to Chicago (ORD) that’s showing on the airport departure board for 28/05/2018 at 02:00?

Atlas Air are primarily a cargo airline but they do also operate some charter / adhoc flights.

Any have any ideas ?

PDXCWL45
23rd May 2018, 17:41
What’s with the Atlas Air flight to Chicago (ORD) that’s showing on the airport departure board for 28/05/2018 at 02:00?

Atlas Air are primarily a cargo airline but they do also operate some charter / adhoc flights.

Any have any ideas ?
I'd be surprised if the airport put cargo flights on it's boards. Scarlets are playing in Dublin that weekend so could be connected?

PDXCWL45
23rd May 2018, 17:55

Any have any ideas ?
Apparently Beyonce plays in Cardiff next month so maybe connected to that?

fanrailuk
24th May 2018, 13:47
"More UK flights from Cardiff explored" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44237823?SThisFB)

ensiferum23
24th May 2018, 15:45

Any have any ideas ?

whilst the timing is extremely tight, Wales play Mexico in California on the 29th maybe it will fly to Pasadena via Chicago?

Letsflycwl
24th May 2018, 16:22
Interesting read on the BBC, new domestic flights being explored from CWL......MAN, LBA, ABZ, NQY, GLA, HUY, NWI, INV and a London link again.....all as PSO routes (without the APD) tax.

its stating from Spring 2019 subject to attracting airlines.....no doubt J31, J41, SF3 & D38 sized aircraft...interesting read though.

Going over old ground again but Wales need to control the APD as Scotland currently does then this will benefit the country (Wales) and CWL

SWBKCB
24th May 2018, 18:22
Going over old ground again but Wales need to control the APD as Scotland currently does then this will benefit the country (Wales) and CWL

Scotland doesn't

PDXCWL45
24th May 2018, 18:26
Scotland doesn't
Scotland has had the powers devolved but there is some legal clarification going on with the EU to do with the Highlands routes APD exemption i believe.

fjencl
25th May 2018, 07:13
Interesting read on the BBC, new domestic flights being explored from CWL......MAN, LBA, ABZ, NQY, GLA, HUY, NWI, INV and a London link again.....all as PSO routes (without the APD) tax.

its stating from Spring 2019 subject to attracting airlines.....no doubt J31, J41, SF3 & D38 sized aircraft...interesting read though.

Starting in Spring 2019 it will be interesting to see what airlines come forward to operate all these services.

bycrewlgw
25th May 2018, 07:51
Starting in Spring 2019 it will be interesting to see what airlines come forward to operate all these services.

even with the lack of APD and the ‘modest marketing budget’ surely there’s no market for some of these flights? Aberdeen, Manchester maybe Leeds but come on Humberside? Norwich? If London can’t work even with APD then I can’t see the others even without.

PDXCWL45
25th May 2018, 11:12
even with the lack of APD and the ‘modest marketing budget’ surely there’s no market for some of these flights? Aberdeen, Manchester maybe Leeds but come on Humberside? Norwich? If London can’t work even with APD then I can’t see the others even without.

The only way i could see Humberside and Norwich being viable is if Flybe sold them as positioning flights to operate sun routes out of those airports which they currently do with Exeter and Norwich.

Mike Flynn
25th May 2018, 21:53
The only way i could see Humberside and Norwich being viable is if Flybe sold them as positioning flights to operate sun routes out of those airports which they currently do with Exeter and Norwich.

Who would want to fly from Rhoose to Humberside or Norwich?

PDXCWL45
26th May 2018, 04:09
Who would want to fly from Rhoose to Humberside or Norwich?

I'm sure someone would. Last time Norwich operated i think it averaged about 700 people a month who used the service.

jon01
26th May 2018, 05:42

Any have any ideas ?

B763 N767MW arrives on 26 May from Denver (evening)

PDXCWL45
26th May 2018, 05:50
B763 N767MW arrives on 26 May from Denver (evening)
Any ideas why it's operating into Cardiff ?

MerchantVenturer
26th May 2018, 10:38
I'm sure someone would. Last time Norwich operated i think it averaged about 700 people a month who used the service.
In 2015 LinksAir that operated the Cardiff-Anglesey PSO route decided to extend it to Norwich (CWL-NWI sector non PSO). It operated one NWI rotation from CWL daily.

The route was not a success and handled (CAA stats) 130 passengers in April that year, 185 in May and 102 in June. It was then axed.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/anglesey-airport-announces-norwich-newest-8518024

PDXCWL45
26th May 2018, 10:50
In 2015 LinksAir that operated the Cardiff-Anglesey PSO route decided to extend it to Norwich (CWL-NWI sector non PSO). It operated one NWI rotation from CWL daily.

The route was not a success and handled (CAA stats) 130 passengers in April that year, 185 in May and 102 in June. It was then axed.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/anglesey-airport-announces-norwich-newest-8518024
I'm sure i read in an article about them scrapping the route that they were only getting 700 passengers a month on the route and that wasn't making them money.

inOban
26th May 2018, 11:02
I find surprising that they should suggest a subsidised routes to GLA and ABZ when there is an unsubsidised route to EDI.

MerchantVenturer
26th May 2018, 11:22
I'm sure i read in an article about them scrapping the route that they were only getting 700 passengers a month on the route and that wasn't making them money.
That report was clearly inaccurate. 417 passengers were carried during the three months of its life.

Air Wales tried a route from CWL via Norwich and Dublin for a while in late 2004 into 2005. It was only a couple of days a week from memory and a look at CAA stats showed it carried fewer than 600 passengers during 2005.

PDXCWL45
26th May 2018, 12:45
I find surprising that they should suggest a subsidised routes to GLA and ABZ when there is an unsubsidised route to EDI.
Aberdeen is only available via Newcastle at an astronomical price.
Glasgow seems to go up and down with Flybe. One season it's daily then the next it goes 4 weekly and then 5 weekly. Scotland hasn't seen much growth from Flybe with EDI staying at 12 weekly at GLA up and down compared to Ireland where between Dublin and Belfast there has been growth in frequencies. If Flybe base a 4th aircraft then I'd have thought they'd or the WG would want to operate a route like Glasgow at 12 weekly and no doubt no APD would help with that. If they do add more Scottish flights i really hope Inverness gets included as well.

jon01
27th May 2018, 20:00
Any ideas why it's operating into Cardiff ?

Taylor Swift on tour

Departs to Chicago at 02:00 Sunday GTI7757

PDXCWL45
27th May 2018, 20:08
News
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/g_images/large/2018-05-25-11-15-12-over-45-000-passengers-are-preparing-to-jet-off-for-half-term-getaway-967-1-image1.jpg
25 May
Over 45,000 passengers are preparing to jet off for half term getaway
The number one travel choice for Welsh passengers this half term is Palma de Majorca, a popular Mediterranean destination and the gateway to popular Balearic Island resorts like Puerto de Pollensa, Cala d’Or and Magaluf.

City break enthusiasts are making the most of year-round flights to Paris with Flybe, a great option for a weekend of sightseeing or the family trip of a lifetime to Disneyland Paris.

Now in its third summer, Flybe flies customers to 21 destinations* including Düsseldorf, Dublin, Glasgow and Jersey, which is a short hop from Wales and boasts fresh seafood, miles of picturesque coastline, with the added touch of French influence (and weather!)

The top 5 most popular destinations this half term week are:

Palma de Majorca with Vueling, TUI and Thomas Cook
Amsterdam with KLM
Alicante with Vueling and TUI
Malaga with Vueling and TUI
Paris with Flybe

Customers seeking far-flung adventures also have the option of five direct flights a week to the Middle East with Qatar Airways, which offers opportunities to connect to destinations including Bali, Thailand and Sri Lanka with a handy connection via Doha.

KLM, the airline that recently celebrated 30 years of flying out of Cardiff, operates up to three flights a day to the popular hub at Amsterdam Schiphol and flights onwards to Dubai, New York, Prague, Copenhagen and many more.

Other popular destinations this half term are Malaga and Alicante with Vueling; Greece and Faro with TUI, plus Turkey with Thomas Cook.

Cardiff Airport’s CEO, Deb Barber, commented, ‘It’s fantastic to see so many passengers flying through their local airport this half term for some sun, or to visit friends and family. We have seen a busy start to the summer season, including increased capacity on flights for 2018, a new airline – Qatar Airways – plus the return of flights to Madrid with Iberia Express. It’s been an exciting start to the year and we’re looking forward to a great summer season!”

*21 destinations includes 4 routes operated via Flybe’s franchise partners. Blue Islands flies to Guernsey and Easter Airways flies to Anglesey, Newcastle and Aberdeen. All flights are bookable at Flybe.com
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/new...e-preparing-to-jet-off-for-half-term-getaway/ (https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2018/05/25/over-45-000-passengers-are-preparing-to-jet-off-for-half-term-getaway/)

PDXCWL45
2nd Jun 2018, 11:39
3 years from yesterday the 1st of June Flybe opened their Embraer jet base at Cardiff Airport starting with 1 aircraft at the beginning of June and the 2nd aircraft at the beginning of September. 3 years later the base now consists of 3 aircraft and 17 routes.
https://twitter.com/Cardiff_Airport/status/1002490087035363328
The original 11 routes were Belfast City, Cork, Dublin, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Faro, Glasgow, Jersey, Milan, Munich and Paris CDG.

PDXCWL45
9th Jun 2018, 08:47
Vueling have released their flights for April and May 2019 and at the moment it looks the same as this year.
Barcelona 3 weekly Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Alicante 5 weekly Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
Malaga 5 weekly Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Palma de Mallorca 4 weekly Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
It's early days and things can change so hopefully they'll add extra frequencies later on in the year.

bycrewlgw
9th Jun 2018, 11:14
Vueling have released their flights for April and May 2019 and at the moment it looks the same as this year.
Barcelona 3 weekly Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Alicante 5 weekly Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
Malaga 5 weekly Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.
Palma de Mallorca 4 weekly Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
It's early days and things can change so hopefully they'll add extra frequencies later on in the year.

be great if they would add flight to the Canary Islands too.

PDXCWL45
9th Jun 2018, 12:07
be great if they would add flight to the Canary Islands too.

Yes it would but I'm not sure if they have many aircraft based there. With TUI expanding for summer 19 it would be great if Vueling would as well. Whether they're able or willing to is another question. The airport may have to look to other airlines to expand Spain and the Canary islands.

heading 125
11th Jun 2018, 12:06
Yes it would but I'm not sure if they have many aircraft based there. With TUI expanding for summer 19 it would be great if Vueling would as well. Whether they're able or willing to is another question. The airport may have to look to other airlines to expand Spain and the Canary islands.

Ryanair has got to be the option ther as they already do Faro and Tenerife

PDXCWL45
11th Jun 2018, 12:25
Ryanair has got to be the option ther as they already do Faro and Tenerife
Yep it would be nice if they added another route. Gran Canaria or Lanzarote or both! I'm assuming they base at both. It's not in the Canaries i know but Malta would be a great addition from them as well.

PDXCWL45
11th Jun 2018, 16:05
Looks like the Flybe base has now gone to 1 E195 and 2 E175s. That should leave Flybe with 4 E195s until early 2020 I'm led to believe. Looks like Cardiff, Newquay, Exeter/Norwich and Southampton each have 1 E195 each with DSA being having 2 E175s.

OltonPete
11th Jun 2018, 19:28
Looks like the Flybe base has now gone to 1 E195 and 2 E175s. That should leave Flybe with 4 E195s until early 2020 I'm led to believe. Looks like Cardiff, Newquay, Exeter/Norwich and Southampton each have 1 E195 each with DSA being having 2 E175s.

It seems like that from now on for summer and winter at CWL (original NQY -LGW was to change to the 175) but also worth noting that currently 195's at both listed for Manchester and BHX for their CDG route this winter.

March stats using the CAA figures for passengers and punctuality (number of rotations). Aberdeen and Valley not included and some routes the aircraft type has been assumed. I would say a mixed bag and sorry about the formatting and this is why I don't bother very often.

Route...……….............pax………….,Avg pax…………loadfactor,,,
CHAMBERY...…….….698...............…..87.........…….....74%
PARIS (CDG)…….... 5826......………….87............…….74%
BERLIN (TXL)……....1220............…...61...………...….52%
DUSSELDORF...…….120......……….60...…...……...77%
MUNICH.........… …..1028...........…..57.............….48%
CORK.........................940......….......47......………... 40%
DUBLIN.................….8030.......……..70..........…….59%
MILAN (MXP)…..….1447.............…..72............……..61%
ROME (FCO)........….1211..........…..87........,...……...73%
VENICE................…..280..........……..70............…….. 59%
AMSTERDAM.........11569..........……...73..............…..83%
FARO...............….….2366...........……..98............…….7 6%
ALICANTE......…...….3806............…...159.......……88%
BARCELONA...……...761...............…..127..............…..70 %
MALAGA...………….3462............…….151.............…...81%
PALMA............……...586.........……......98...............… .54%
TENERIFE .........….2712...............….170..............……..90%
GENEVA.........……..792.........………..50..................…... 63%
Belfast City...…..…..6334............…….83........................71 %
Edinburgh...…......….7362............…….97................…. ..82%
Glasgow......…...…..2682................…..61............... ...….78%.
Jersey......……...…..1257............……..48.................. …..62%
Newcastle......…...…1087.........…..…...20.................. .....61%

Pete

PDXCWL45
11th Jun 2018, 19:46
It seems like that from now on for summer and winter at CWL (original NQY -LGW was to change to the 175) but also worth noting that currently 195's at both listed for Manchester and BHX for their CDG route this winter.
It's possible that during winter some of the 195s will get swapped for 175s and the sun routes out of EXT/NWI and SOU will have less frequency as well i believe.
For Cardiff generally having 1 E195 does mean that the busier routes like Faro and Rome will still have that extra capacity many of the others are much more suited to the E175. 1 E195 and 2 E175s provides a good balance.

PDXCWL45
14th Jun 2018, 07:13
Cardiff Airport sees 15 months of consecutive growth! Rolling year is now 1.51 million.

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2018/06/13/15-months-of-consecutive-growth-at-cardiff-airport/

bycrewlgw
14th Jun 2018, 13:07
Just read a report from a Heathrow conference that EZY would look to start CWL-LHR flights should the expanded LHR go ahead. I think they’re crazy but hey they know better than me. Could just be a sale ploy to get the buy in for the regions though.

PDXCWL45
14th Jun 2018, 13:26
Be more credible if they said Flybe. Easyjet have zero interest in operating routes from Cardiff.

bycrewlgw
14th Jun 2018, 16:53
Be more credible if they said Flybe. Easyjet have zero interest in operating routes from Cardiff.

it was the chief commercial and strategy officer for EasyJet that said it not LHR - didn’t make that clear!

easyJet reveals routes for potential Heathrow base at anna.aero-RABA HubLab conference; 18 domestic destinations identified (http://www.anna.aero/2018/06/14/easyjet-reveals-routes-for-potential-heathrow-base-at-anna-aero-raba-hublab-conference-18-domestic-destinations-identified/?utm_source=anna.aero+newsletter&utm_campaign=49ca45019c-anna_nl_140618&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_ecdbf41674-49ca45019c-87040553)

PDXCWL45
14th Jun 2018, 22:04
TUI have dropped Hurghada for winter 2018/19. It now starts in May 2019.

PDXCWL45
18th Jun 2018, 22:00
CAA Stats April 2018
104,874 passengers passed through the airport up 9.5% on 2017.
The rolling year is 1,493,807 up 8.9% on this time in 2017. Atms were 1301 up 6.4%.

Domestic routes April 2018
Aberdeen 758 +11%
Anglesey 1299 +54%
Doncaster Sheffield 67
Edinburgh 9692 +17%
Farnborough 41
Glasgow 2463 +18%
Humberside 77
Jersey 1767 +13%
Leeds Bradford 3
Liverpool 81
Manchester 79
Newcastle 1032 -6%
Norwich 85

European routes April 2018
Brussels 19
Paphos 1497 +1%
Chambery 327
Paris CDG 7109 +33%
Pau 191
Tarbes-Lourdes 296 -33%
Berlin TXL 1177 -27%
Dusseldorf 328 +3%
Munich 1201 -23%
Cork 1179 -1%
Dublin 8914 +16%
Bergamo 146
Milan MXP 2002 -23%
Parma 86
Rome 1633
Venice 1069
Verona 396 -15%
Amsterdam 11997 +4%
Faro 6139 +18%
Alicante 9718 -3%
Barcelona 2974 +22%
Malaga 8194 24%
Palma de Mallorca 3614 +10%
Arrecife 3332
Las Palmas 1404 -24%
Tenerife South 5937 +4%
Akureyri 186
Keflavik 2
Geneva 356 -19%

PDXCWL45
22nd Jun 2018, 14:14
Jet2s G-IFIT which ferries their management and engineers about was at Cardiff for 5 hours yesterday, landed from LBA at 08.50 and departed back at 13.55. Would be great to think that it was there bringing in Jet2 management for talks with the airport about a base!

Midland Alpha9
23rd Jun 2018, 12:32
I would love to see the continued success of growth at CWL but the infrastructure needs to be in place. I flew out a week ago the place was heaving with stag/hen parties making it difficult to find a seat once you got to the front of the queue to buy a drink!
Returned last evening had to wait 27 minutes for the baggage to be delivered on the arrival belt. We were the only arrival at that time of the day. I understand why there is a monopoly supplier there (numbers/turnarounds etc) but whilst everyone is busting their crown jewels to get more carriers into CWL Swissport or whoever needs to play their part.

It is great to have the local airport as your first choice but it needs to be taken to the next level to seriously compete with BRS

PDXCWL45
23rd Jun 2018, 15:01
Great to hear that the airport is so busy but obviously not if you are queuing for food!

The Masterplan is supposed to come out this summer so it'll be interesting to see what terminal expansion plans there are and if there are plans for a new one. The current terminal is rated for a capacity of 3 million passengers a year i believe so to get to that the airport will probably need another LCC like Ryanair or Easyjet operating a significant network and someone like Jet2 also to come along and increase the passenger numbers! The ACC meeting i believe is on the 17th July so hopefully they'll release the masterplan around that time.