PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff-2

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

yeo valley
20th Apr 2019, 16:37
Im sure they use BHD to EXT to get the dash to Ext for maintainence,which would make sence as they would not be flying round with empty aircraft.

PDXCWL45
20th Apr 2019, 16:55
However, BHDEXT is at most single daily DH4 against double daily E75 on CWL, as is EDI, suggesting that yield is likely better at EXT. Any airline can fill an aircraft with £20 tickets...it’s filling it and making money that’s important. What’s clear is that Flybe can’t do this with and E75 based on CWL at the level necessary, even with the support offered by CWL and by the Welsh Gvnt. If they could, they wouldn’t be closing the base.
From what I've seen the average fare from Flybe on domestic routes seems to be around £50 one way.

irishlad06
21st Apr 2019, 02:52
Im sure they use BHD to EXT to get the dash to Ext for maintainence,which would make sence as they would not be flying round with empty aircraft.

very rarely is this route used to get aircraft to EXT for maintenance. Swaps happen at most bases - sometimes crew can have 2 aircraft swaps in 1day and they are only operating 4 sectors. MAN is a great place to swap aircraft because of the HUB system where the aircraft from other bases are on the ground at a very similar time therefore making it easy to swap planes, otherwise you have to have an aircraft sitting idle at say EXT waiting on the BHD aircraft at wa time when that aircraft could be flying from EXT.

caaardiff
21st Apr 2019, 08:24
However, BHDEXT is at most single daily DH4 against double daily E75 on CWL, as is EDI, suggesting that yield is likely better at EXT. Any airline can fill an aircraft with £20 tickets...it’s filling it and making money that’s important. What’s clear is that Flybe can’t do this with and E75 based on CWL at the level necessary, even with the support offered by CWL and by the Welsh Gvnt. If they could, they wouldn’t be closing the base.
Absolutely agree with your points. But if CWL can attract that many passengers from double, sometimes triple daily frequencies, if BE were to reduce the frequency then there will still be good demand and increased yield. Undoubtedly they will lose some custom to EZY at BRS for people looking for day returns.
How many Q400s are based at EXT?

Wycombe
21st Apr 2019, 08:31

I believe it's 4 currently.

PDXCWL45
21st Apr 2019, 11:40
Absolutely agree with your points. But if CWL can attract that many passengers from double, sometimes triple daily frequencies, if BE were to reduce the frequency then there will still be good demand and increased yield. Undoubtedly they will lose some custom to EZY at BRS for people looking for day returns.

The demand for the flights is there in general but i just wonder if they aren't sustainable with BRS so close, it's just a shame that the E jets aren't getting replaced by Q400s as they might have more of a chance with them.
At the moment the frequencies of the routes that could be operated by Q400s are this.
Edinburgh 17 weekly departures, Dublin 15 weekly departures, Belfast 11 weeky departures, Paris 11 weekly departures, Glasgow 5 weekly departures, Jersey 3 weekly departures, Cork 2 weekly departures and in the winter Geneva 2 weekly departures and Chambery 1 weekly departure.
It'll be interesting to see how many of those flights remain assuming that Flybe will operate into Cardiff after October.

PDXCWL45
29th Apr 2019, 19:04
It's been nearly a year now since Qatar Airways started operating into Cardiff Wales Airport.
https://twitter.com/Cardiff_Airport/status/1122901112602886147
And Roger Lewis is stepping down as Chairman of the airport.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/04/29/roger-lewis-announces-plan-to-step-down-as-chairman-of-cardiff-airport/

Flightrider
29th Apr 2019, 19:37
Airports are largely asset-based businesses - assets on which there are normally borrowings to fund with interest on those borrowings, and on which depreciation has to be charged. Saying that an airport is EBITDA-positive really is trying to put a positive spin on things. Actual losses when interest and depreciation are taken into account could well be a wholly different story...

PDXCWL45
29th Apr 2019, 19:51
Airports are largely asset-based businesses - assets on which there are normally borrowings to fund with interest on those borrowings, and on which depreciation has to be charged. Saying that an airport is EBITDA-positive really is trying to put a positive spin on things. Actual losses when interest and depreciation are taken into account could well be a wholly different story...

Yep it's just PR spin. The airport isn't at the moment making a profit and the loss of Flybe won't help in that either and only time will tell when it will either break even or make a profit but it has grown it's passenger numbers and invested in the passenger experience there and attracted new routes and expansion from the likes of Ryanair, KLM, TUI and TCX so it has been going in the right direction. It looks like it will be taking a setback as due to Flybe but again only time will tell how damaging that truly is. Generally though Roger Lewis tenure has been positive. It will be interesting to see who replaces him and whether they are as visible as Roger Lewis has been.

PDXCWL45
30th Apr 2019, 10:10
@Cardiff_Airport will be one of the first airports to see the roll out of @qatarairways improved economy service!

https://onemileatatime.com/qatar-airways-improving-economy-meal-service/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=OneMileataTime&utm_content=Wow:%20Qatar%20Airways%20Improving%20Meal%20Serv ice%20In%20Economy

PDXCWL45
1st May 2019, 15:52
TUI Summer 2019 schedule began today at Cardiff with the launch of 3 new routes with Naples starting today, Dubrovnik tomorrow and Hurghada on Monday. Also a 3rd based aircraft will be operating helping to add an extra 90,000 seats. Also from November TUI will be the only based airline at Cardiff Airport.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/05/01/new-tui-flights-and-holidays-take-off-from-cardiff-airport/

Letsflycwl
1st May 2019, 17:10
Not forgetting the Eastern J41.....that’ll still be a based aircraft

PDXCWL45
1st May 2019, 19:23
Not forgetting the Eastern J41.....that’ll still be a based aircraft
I believe it like KLM is now an overnighting aircraft as it returns to Newcastle every day and comes back with a new crew that overnights. If someone knows more about the situation i'll happily be corrected!

PDXCWL45
3rd May 2019, 15:00
April saw 126,399 passengers through the terminal up 20% on 2018. Rolling year is 1.6 million passengers up 7% on 2018.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/05/03/cardiff-airport-reaches-1-6-million-passengers/

Wycombe
3rd May 2019, 16:01
Quoting part of the above press release “2019 is set to be another exciting year and we look forward to a busy summer season.”

Looks like it will be, but what comes after that depends to some extent on what Flybe decide or otherwise to operate from CWL after 26th October.

Letsflycwl
3rd May 2019, 16:42
Let’s hope CWL are doing their best to secure alternate companies, it would be a big loss if they do not keep CDG on the boards especially.

PDXCWL45
3rd May 2019, 18:14
Well it's down to the airlines in the end, the airport can only do so much, if airlines like Flybe don't want to operate from Cardiff or certain routes from Cardiff there isn't much they can do. One of their concerns will be winter as Flybe provide the bulk of flights and passengers during that period. It would be nice though if Flybe would get on and release the winter schedule so people know what will be continuing and don't look elsewhere.

Route wise hopefully they can persuade Ryanair to take over Dublin, add a flight to Faro and takeover Rome and Venice if not next year but the year after but i see that depends on how Barcelona does. Air France/HOP! would be a good replacement on Paris and the loss of Milan and Munich might as well encourage KLM to add more seats as well.

April saw an extra 21,525 passengers use the airport. Generally when airlines have added the extra seats and routes people have used them proving there is demand to fly from Cardiff with the right routes and airlines. Demand which does seem to be created as extra passengers for the airlines and not just taking them from neighbour airports.

PDXCWL45
6th May 2019, 19:38
Flybe have loaded their winter 2019/20 schedule onto their online timetable and with the exception of Newcastle and Anglesey Cardiff has nothing. So is that it for Flybe at CWL? Looks like we'll find out tomorrow!

Letsflycwl
6th May 2019, 20:43
Flybe have loaded their winter 2019/20 schedule onto their online timetable and with the exception of Newcastle and Anglesey Cardiff has nothing. So is that it for Flybe at CWL? Looks like we'll find out tomorrow!

Lets hope not !!! After all they promised CWL in that 10 year deal yet not considering the cost to the Welsh Government plus they’d be stupid not to keep EDI, GLA, JER, DUB & CDG.......if that is the case, fingers crossed Plan B (if there is one) will be activated

PDXCWL45
6th May 2019, 20:47
Lets hope not !!! After all they promised CWL in that 10 year deal yet not considering the cost to the Welsh Government plus they’d be stupid not to keep EDI, GLA, JER, DUB & CDG.......if that is the case, fingers crossed Plan B (if there is one) will be activated

At the moment there is nothing loaded. As for the 10 year base deal i'd say it's not worth the paper it's written on now and as for the cost the money came from the airport not the welsh government. We should find out tomorrow if Flybe will continue to operate flights to CWL but i wouldn't be surprised if Flybe drop CWL.

PDXCWL45
7th May 2019, 07:51
Flybe have started to put winter onsale .So far nothing for Cardiff.

PDXCWL45
7th May 2019, 12:09
Apparently selected routes will go onsale at a later date due to ongoing negotiations between the airport and Flybe.

PDXCWL45
7th May 2019, 20:12
Just over a year since Qatar Airways started flying to Cardiff!
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/05/07/qatar-airways-celebrates-first-anniversary-at-cardiff-airport/

bycrewlgw
8th May 2019, 09:31
No details of flights at mo and nothing being able to book but looks like BE are updating flights for Cardiff. Booking engine has preloaded dates into ‘20 which weren’t there before. Fingers crossed the core routes are saved.

PDXCWL45
8th May 2019, 09:51
No details of flights at mo and nothing being able to book but looks like BE are updating flights for Cardiff. Booking engine has preloaded dates into ‘20 which weren’t there before. Fingers crossed the core routes are saved.
Probably be lucky to retain a daily flight each on Dublin, Belfast and Edinburgh. Still means the loss of 400,000 passengers a year unless the airport can pull something out of the bag with another airline. The place will be empty in winter.
I also think it may question the WGs ownership as well as I doubt that they bought the airport to be a bucket and spade airport!

SWBKCB
8th May 2019, 10:10
I also think it may question the WGs ownership as well as I doubt that they bought the airport to be a bucket and spade airport!

Good point - ignoring intangibles like national prestige, presumably the financial business case would have been around maintaining/increasing employment and increasing "global connectivity" to encourage economic development. It could be argued that a bucket and spade airport is just bleeding money out of the economy...

Sharklet_321
8th May 2019, 11:14
Cardiff catchment area is a sizaeble one but challenging in terms of the numbers of people traveling for business. I would say their forte should be low cost and long-haul to attempt to draw more people in from further afield. Flybe doesn't fit that model and is not sustainable across most of the network not just CWL. If I were management at CWL I would be throwing all my weight behind low cost carriers.

southside bobby
8th May 2019, 11:20
Would that be like Bmibaby?

Midland Alpha9
8th May 2019, 13:01
Would that be like Bmibaby?
Baby left for two reasons
1/ the airport authority welcomed flybe with wonderful marketing open arms on routes which competed with baby thus diluting any hope of future profit.

2/ As a result of the aforementioned baby was wooed by other airports and offered a better deal.
Let's hope the current commercial management at the airport learns from experience and solidly backs a low cost carrier to fill the void. My personal choice is Sleazyjet but would be greatful to see any serious outfit.

PDXCWL45
8th May 2019, 13:29
Ryanair has expanded at the airport this year so I'd imagine that they would look to them to continue to expand.

zoomboy
9th May 2019, 21:18
This may not turn out to be relevant, but the just published Inghams 2020 brochure advertises Flybe flights to Milan on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun and Verona on Wed/Sat. We will see if confirmed.

PDXCWL45
10th May 2019, 00:09
This may not turn out to be relevant, but the just published Inghams 2020 brochure advertises Flybe flights to Milan on Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun and Verona on Wed/Sat. We will see if confirmed.

Milan used to be on those days but now it's only Monday and Fridays. I'd be shocked if that happens but it's a case of wait and see.

SWBKCB
10th May 2019, 05:11
Brochures tend to have long lead in times, may have missed the BE changes.

PDXCWL45
10th May 2019, 08:50
The only way i could see Milan and Verona remaining is if another airline took them over. Maybe TUI for Verona or someone elsewhere suggested Volotea for Verona and Venice. Maybe Air Italy for Milan? Ryanair for Rome maybe? But i doubt very much any of the Italian routes will be operated by Flybe.
What will be interesting is too see how and if the airport manage to salvage many of the lost routes especially the Italian ones.

fanrailuk
10th May 2019, 09:08
Brochures tend to have long lead in times, may have missed the BE changes.

And often published with a “speculative” timetable

The aforementioned flights, however, are nowhere to be found on the Inghams website...

Reversethrustset
10th May 2019, 09:59
There's no way the Milan will be flown at those frequencies during the winter schedule so I would hazard an educated guess that they are indeed out of date rather than new.

rog747
10th May 2019, 10:10
For Verona TUI already have a SAT weekly op'd by a Neos 738 VRN-BRS-VRN for some years for Thomsons and Citalia Holidays, Inghams have now taken seats on it - they used to charter BMI for their own flight BRS-VRN.
(seems now there are 2 x BRS SAT Neos flights)

Re Inghams from CWL-VRN they took large allocations on Flybe or chartered their own whole plane series (same from SOU) but it seems for S19 CWL has now been dropped?

WEDS and SATS are the historic days for package holiday flights to Verona and the Lakes from most UK airports.

PDXCWL45
10th May 2019, 13:46
There's no way the Milan will be flown at those frequencies during the winter schedule so I would hazard an educated guess that they are indeed out of date rather than new.
It used to be. Milan used to be 5 weekly if I remember correctly but was reduced over time to make way for other routes.

Reversethrustset
10th May 2019, 13:50
Yep it did, this stopped last winter.

PDXCWL45
10th May 2019, 15:46
Cardiff Airport calls for APD to be devolved to the Welsh Government.
In his letter to Roger Lewis the First Minister Mark Drakeford said ''It cannot be fair that Wales is remains the only devolved nation in the UK that does not have some control over APD''.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/05/10/cardiff-airport-calls-for-apd-to-be-devolved/
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/uploads/FM%20letter%20to%20RL%20FEB19.pdf

Letsflycwl
10th May 2019, 15:53
Cardiff Airport calls for APD to be devolved to the Welsh Government.
In his letter to Roger Lewis the First Minister Mark Drakeford said ''It cannot be fair that Wales is remains the only devolved nation in the UK that does not have some control over APD''.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/05/10/cardiff-airport-calls-for-apd-to-be-devolved/
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/uploads/FM%20letter%20to%20RL%20FEB19.pdf

About time too !!! This needs to be devolved as a priority

shamrock7seal
10th May 2019, 16:14
It shouldnt be applied to any airline operating aircraft under 100 seats... it just makes it completely unviable... Does the Train also pay anything similar to APD?!

ATNotts
10th May 2019, 17:15
It shouldnt be applied to any airline operating aircraft under 100 seats... it just makes it completely unviable... Does the Train also pay anything similar to APD?!

No because they don't generally cause as much environmental damage.

That said, the whole premise is wrong. The charge should be applied to the operator, based upon a sliding scale according to the level of CO2 that the operating aircraft emits, and it should apply not only to commercial aircraft but also to executive jets, which based upon passengers carried are way more damaging than, for example, a fully loaded passenger aircraft.

PDXCWL45
10th May 2019, 17:20
About time too !!! This needs to be devolved as a priority
The Welsh Affairs committee has been investigating whether it should be devolved or not but unfortunately the UK government isn't obliged to act on their recommendation. The UK government seem set on protecting English airports whether it's to the detriment of Wales or not.

SWBKCB
10th May 2019, 18:41
Does the Train also pay anything similar to APD?!

They pay tax on their fuel.

Note the Scottish government have opted not to reduce APD siting climate change reasons - do you guys not read the news?

The UK government seem set on protecting English airports whether it's to the detriment of Wales or not.

:ugh:

PDXCWL45
10th May 2019, 18:46
They pay tax on their fuel.

Note the Scottish government have opted not to reduce APD siting climate change reasons - do you guys not read the news?

:ugh:

Yes and that is their decision as they have the power devolved. It should the Welsh governments decision in what they do with APD not the UK government who have stated that they won't devolve it because they want to protect English airports which will always be to the detriment of Wales.

SWBKCB
10th May 2019, 19:00
You miss my point - it was the reason why.

UK government who have stated that they won't devolve it because they want to protect English airports which will always be to the detriment of Wales.

When was this?

Note that APD also isn't devolved in Northern Ireland.

PDXCWL45
10th May 2019, 19:59
You miss my point - it was the reason why.

When was this?

Note that APD also isn't devolved in Northern Ireland.
During the hearing to the Welsh Affairs committee.

Northern Ireland has long haul APD devolved to it and the chancellor said that the Treasury would investigate whether to devolve short haul APD to Northern Ireland.

SWBKCB
11th May 2019, 06:12
Think APD in NI is still down to central govt rather than a local decision.

Anyway, this might trump any APD discussions

Climate change 'may curb growth in UK flying' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48233548)

PDXCWL45
11th May 2019, 06:34
Think APD in NI is still down to central govt rather than a local decision.

Anyway, this might trump any APD discussions

Climate change 'may curb growth in UK flying' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48233548)
Even if it does it still doesn't mean that the Welsh government shouldn't havel APD devolved to it like Scotland and Northern Ireland.

VickersVicount
11th May 2019, 08:56
for Scotland anyway, hasnt made two hoots of difference whether its devolved or not. The pretence that it was ever going to is a farce.

PDXCWL45
11th May 2019, 09:00
for Scotland anyway, hasnt made two hoots of difference whether its devolved or not. The pretence that it was ever going to is a farce.
So? It's still devolved and if devolved to Wales could make a difference.

southside bobby
11th May 2019, 10:12
Swimming against a climate change & environmental national & international tide I`m afraid.

The little Swedish girl & the pink boat have effectively changed the future prospects for aviation.

Politicians now require themselves to be seen by the public to be acting as Politicians do.

The ramifications of last weeks vote in the House to `declare` an environment & climate emergency will unfortunately be far reaching.

Any devolution of APD whilst theoretically possible will be a token gesture impossible to be enacted upon.

PDXCWL45
11th May 2019, 10:49
Any devolution of APD whilst theoretically possible will be a token gesture impossible to be enacted upon.
Considering all parties in the Senned support APD being devolved and I would doubt that it would struggle to. The Welsh government has said once it would be devolved they would then do a review of whether to abolish it or reduce it which would include an environmental impact. I doubt very much people in Wales are going to complain if Cardiff gets more busier especially as many constantly complain that it isn't. As a country Wales can still be environmentally friendly with a vibrant and busy airport. Of course though the climate thing is a good excuse for the UK government to continue to refuse to devolve APD and protect English airports. It will be interesting to see if the Welsh Affairs committee rule that APD should be devolved to Wales how the UK government will respond.

southside bobby
11th May 2019, 11:27
Much is rather inward & insular it might appear.

It will be `interesting` if a rising tide can be influenced then.

Midland Alpha9
11th May 2019, 12:11
So? It's still devolved and if devolved to Wales could make a difference.
Undoubtedly If the APD is to be devolved to Wales the Welsh government would do something about it given their hard efforts and commitment to get CWL commercially viable again and rightly so. As a country it should be allowed to decide the scale and cost of ADP as part of the the tax devolution powers transferred to the Welsh government in the past twelve months.
Whilst English airports may play ' THE LEVEL PLAYING FIELD ' card, with all the usual protectionished posturing the Welsh government has every right ,within European rules and competition law, to generate additional revenue for its own exchequer by attracting airlines and customers to use CWL.

PDXCWL45
11th May 2019, 12:42
Undoubtedly If the APD is to be devolved to Wales the Welsh government would do something about it given their hard efforts and commitment to get CWL commercially viable again and rightly so. As a country it should be allowed to decide the scale and cost of ADP as part of the the tax devolution powers transferred to the Welsh government in the past twelve months.
Whilst English airports may play ' THE LEVEL PLAYING FIELD ' card, with all the usual protectionished posturing the Welsh government has every right ,within European rules and competition law, to generate additional revenue for its own exchequer by attracting airlines and customers to use CWL.

The WG has fought for quite a while for APD to be devolved so they would do something, even if it's just cutting it by 25% or 50% or putting it on a sliding scale by the length of the flight.

As for the level playing field card, i have always found it interesting that airports the size of Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol see Cardiff as being either a worry or in their league as to lobby so hard against APD being devolved. If you look at CWL's growth lately, it's not effecting any of those airports growth at all and for MAN CWL's numbers are a drop in the ocean. Though of course what they don't want to admit is that the playing field is tipped vastly in their favour and they don't want that to change.

southside bobby
11th May 2019, 12:44
Primarily a couple of posters here have attempted to raise the real issue affecting all airports now that being one of `climate change` agendas & how they could affect individual dromes`s plans not about the `politics` of Wales.

PDXCWL45
13th May 2019, 13:29
CAA Stats March 2019
99,055 passengers used the airport in March up 3.2% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,585,058 up 6.8% on 2018.
Atms were 1258 down 0.5% on 2018.
Top 10 routes
1. Amsterdam 14,912 +29%
2. Dublin 13,731 +64%
3. Edinburgh 9054 +22%
4. Alicante 7906 +11%
5. Tenerife South 7355 +1%
6. Belfast City 6569 +4%
7. Doha 6106
8. Paris CDG 5063 -37%
9. Malaga 4751 -3%
10. Arrecife 3314 -1%

GLOworm
14th May 2019, 11:29
The WG has fought for quite a while for APD to be devolved so they would do something, even if it's just cutting it by 25% or 50% or putting it on a sliding scale by the length of the flight.

As for the level playing field card, i have always found it interesting that airports the size of Manchester, Birmingham and Bristol see Cardiff as being either a worry or in their league as to lobby so hard against APD being devolved. If you look at CWL's growth lately, it's not effecting any of those airports growth at all and for MAN CWL's numbers are a drop in the ocean. Though of course what they don't want to admit is that the playing field is tipped vastly in their favour and they don't want that to change.

Genuine question: why are the scales tipped in the larger airports' favour? You've mentioned this a few times. This implies there's some legal/regulatory/subsidy-drive action which is creating an uneven playing field and that Cardiff is somehow being treated unfairly. Aside from the choice of the market supported by circumstances such as population, economic activity or geographic location, I don't see that Cardiff is at a disadvantage ..... but maybe I've misunderstood your point.

I'm not against devolved powers btw, or indeed Wales setting its APD. But if this was the case, and given the WAG's taxpayer-funded subsidies, surely the scales are being tipped in Cardiff's favour?

VickersVicount
14th May 2019, 12:13
DOH up a little bit. Better than nothing! Still seems sluggish compared to other DOH routes. Maybe they need a change of tact- a bigger aircraft (therefore more discounts seats) and/or a change of frequency.
Maybe cargo doing well and not all about pax loads.
Took ages for EDI to show anything half decent.

PDXCWL45
14th May 2019, 13:33
Genuine question: why are the scales tipped in the larger airports' favour? You've mentioned this a few times. This implies there's some legal/regulatory/subsidy-drive action which is creating an uneven playing field and that Cardiff is somehow being treated unfairly. Aside from the choice of the market supported by circumstances such as population, economic activity or geographic location, I don't see that Cardiff is at a disadvantage ..... but maybe I've misunderstood your point.

I'm not against devolved powers btw, or indeed Wales setting its APD. But if this was the case, and given the WAG's taxpayer-funded subsidies, surely the scales are being tipped in Cardiff's favour?

The bigger airport has much lower costs, it has the economy of scale and if you look at Bristol in particular it sits in one of the wealthiest areas in the country and with the large Easyjet base is able to attract passengers from much more than it's local area which then drains passengers from other areas away from other airports and that is magnified with their monopoly on Easyjet for the area. An airport like Cardiff can't compete with that hence why the playing field in my opinion isn't level. It's tilted very much in the favour of the larger airport and always will be. Though up until the Flybe announcement i do think the airport has been doing a good job of recovering.

As for Welsh government ownership there isn't a large amount of subsidy from what i've been able to find out. Yes they struck a marketing deal with Qatar Airways but the West of England combined authority can do the same, obviously budgets are different but they can still do it and of course the UK government could've done it as well. The money for the e-gates was a grant because CWL was too small to get them free off UK border like bigger airports can. The other money comes in the form of a loan facility which is paid back at commercial rates and has to come from the WG as if they went to a bank the amount would be deducted from the block grant every year.
As for APD tipping the scales in CWLs favour it won't it'll just level things up a little bit but the scales will always be in the favour of larger airports like Bristol.
Just my opinion and i'm sure many on here will disagree.

GLOworm
14th May 2019, 15:38
The bigger airport has much lower costs, it has the economy of scale and if you look at Bristol in particular it sits in one of the wealthiest areas in the country and with the large Easyjet base is able to attract passengers from much more than it's local area which then drains passengers from other areas away from other airports and that is magnified with their monopoly on Easyjet for the area. An airport like Cardiff can't compete with that hence why the playing field in my opinion isn't level. It's tilted very much in the favour of the larger airport and always will be. Though up until the Flybe announcement i do think the airport has been doing a good job of recovering.

As for Welsh government ownership there isn't a large amount of subsidy from what i've been able to find out. Yes they struck a marketing deal with Qatar Airways but the West of England combined authority can do the same, obviously budgets are different but they can still do it and of course the UK government could've done it as well. The money for the e-gates was a grant because CWL was too small to get them free off UK border like bigger airports can. The other money comes in the form of a loan facility which is paid back at commercial rates and has to come from the WG as if they went to a bank the amount would be deducted from the block grant every year.
As for APD tipping the scales in CWLs favour it won't it'll just level things up a little bit but the scales will always be in the favour of larger airports like Bristol.
Just my opinion and i'm sure many on here will disagree.

Thanks for sharing.... I understand where you're coming from better now. :)

Personally, I don't think the scales are tipped in the larger airports' favour.... It's just that the market - for the reasons you've identified - has chosen the larger airports. I'm sure others will disagree with me too(!), but the only scale-tipping has been the intervention of the Welsh Government in the market.... be it APD, the Qatar marketing deal, grants for e-gates or the purchase of the airport itself for more than it's value. All of this because the airport is unable to compete (or offer the services the WG think it should) without State aid. So I kinda understand why Bristol might be grumbling.

Given the flyBE withdrawal, I'd argue that even WITH State aid it's sadly struggling. I'm also not sure the Welsh tax-payer is getting value for money. Particularly when the levels of support are so opaque!

Back in 1990 Cardiff was the 15th busiest airport in the UK and Bristol was.......14th. A difference of about 180K passengers per annum. How did Bristol go about transforming its fortunes relative to Cardiff? What were the opportunities it took and the challenges it addressed? How did it lure passengers over the Severn? How can Cardiff grab back market share? I don't think State Aid and an unequal regulatory/tax environment were a factor in Bristol's success and they aren't the answer for Cardiff now.

BTW I used to be one of the (few!) frequent flyers on the Air Wales LCY and more recently on flyBE. I'd love the airport to be doing better and for there to more services (esp LCY - I live in SE18)!

ivor toolbox
14th May 2019, 15:53
Bristol built a shiney new terminal, and Easyjet (well actually GO Airlines first) came to play, with their promises of 'lo co' and paying the Severn Bridge toll for customers from Wales side. Oh and everything that was said up there is fair point.

PDXCWL45
14th May 2019, 17:47
Thanks for sharing.... I understand where you're coming from better now. :)

Personally, I don't think the scales are tipped in the larger airports' favour.... It's just that the market - for the reasons you've identified - has chosen the larger airports. I'm sure others will disagree with me too(!), but the only scale-tipping has been the intervention of the Welsh Government in the market.... be it APD, the Qatar marketing deal, grants for e-gates or the purchase of the airport itself for more than it's value. All of this because the airport is unable to compete (or offer the services the WG think it should) without State aid. So I kinda understand why Bristol might be grumbling.

Given the flyBE withdrawal, I'd argue that even WITH State aid it's sadly struggling. I'm also not sure the Welsh tax-payer is getting value for money. Particularly when the levels of support are so opaque!

Back in 1990 Cardiff was the 15th busiest airport in the UK and Bristol was.......14th. A difference of about 180K passengers per annum. How did Bristol go about transforming its fortunes relative to Cardiff? What were the opportunities it took and the challenges it addressed? How did it lure passengers over the Severn? How can Cardiff grab back market share? I don't think State Aid and an unequal regulatory/tax environment were a factor in Bristol's success and they aren't the answer for Cardiff now.

BTW I used to be one of the (few!) frequent flyers on the Air Wales LCY and more recently on flyBE. I'd love the airport to be doing better and for there to more services (esp LCY - I live in SE18)!
With the WG people say that they shouldn't have bought and that they are intervening and that they shouldn't but governments do that all over the world, Ireland is an example with its low APD, other countries have done deals with Ryanair to expand Ukraine i believe has done such a deal as has Jordan and Israel offers airlines money for inbound passengers, US airports often offer money for international routes through state subsidies.
The Welsh government is only doing it's job by trying to give Wales an effective national airport that acts as the countries entry point for the world (a mini version of EDI in essence imo) and to give it's citizens and non citizens the opportunity to connect to as much as the world as possible from their country and for tourists and business to find travelling to Wales as easy as possible and that brings me onto Flybe. The airport needs an airline that will provide the connections on a daily basis, a partner as such and that is what Bristol has with Easyjet, an airline dedicated and happy to expand at Bristol and that has been the basis of the airports success.
Unfortunately for CWL their best option was and may still be Flybe and we all know what has happended there.Flybe at the moment don't see CWL in their plans to continue to base it seems and they've had the opportunity to change to Q400s to make that base more profitable (which makes me question why they didn't), Easyjet though do see BRS as important in their plans and no doubt will continue to expand at BRS. If the airlines don't want to operate to Cardiff it can't force them unless like SEN it's owner owns an airline! Maybe the WG should do that next!
As for value for money that i think has to be judged over a longer period in what the airport will be like in 10, 15 to 20 years and will always vary person to person, for me it's value is providing me the ability to connect to the world to another person it's value is whether there is a cheap flight to Mallorca on Saturdays!

Letsflycwl
14th May 2019, 17:59
If Flybe don’t sort out their CWL winter schedule soon would Loganair be a good fit for GLA & EDI ? Back to the BA Express EM4 days

PDXCWL45
14th May 2019, 18:30
If Flybe don’t sort out their CWL winter schedule soon would Loganair be a good fit for GLA & EDI ? Back to the BA Express EM4 days
I'd have thought if flybe doesn't return Edinburgh at least would be a route that they might consider.

Letsflycwl
14th May 2019, 19:06
Especially as Loganair now have a significant fleet of EM3 and EM4 aircraft plus the S20 too.

GLOworm
15th May 2019, 11:50
With the WG people say that they shouldn't have bought and that they are intervening and that they shouldn't but governments do that all over the world, Ireland is an example with its low APD, other countries have done deals with Ryanair to expand Ukraine i believe has done such a deal as has Jordan and Israel offers airlines money for inbound passengers, US airports often offer money for international routes through state subsidies.
The Welsh government is only doing it's job by trying to give Wales an effective national airport that acts as the countries entry point for the world (a mini version of EDI in essence imo) and to give it's citizens and non citizens the opportunity to connect to as much as the world as possible from their country and for tourists and business to find travelling to Wales as easy as possible and that brings me onto Flybe. The airport needs an airline that will provide the connections on a daily basis, a partner as such and that is what Bristol has with Easyjet, an airline dedicated and happy to expand at Bristol and that has been the basis of the airports success.
Unfortunately for CWL their best option was and may still be Flybe and we all know what has happended there.Flybe at the moment don't see CWL in their plans to continue to base it seems and they've had the opportunity to change to Q400s to make that base more profitable (which makes me question why they didn't), Easyjet though do see BRS as important in their plans and no doubt will continue to expand at BRS. If the airlines don't want to operate to Cardiff it can't force them unless like SEN it's owner owns an airline! Maybe the WG should do that next!
As for value for money that i think has to be judged over a longer period in what the airport will be like in 10, 15 to 20 years and will always vary person to person, for me it's value is providing me the ability to connect to the world to another person it's value is whether there is a cheap flight to Mallorca on Saturdays!

Thanks for your considered response. :)

I agree that State intervention in the market is legitimate, especially when the market is unable to provide. However, the tone of some of the comments seems to be 'it's unfair that the ENGLISH airports even complain' whereas I think it's reasonable that they have concerns about State support putting them at a disadvantage. Objectively, the abolition of APD can only help the airport complete for routes against (mainly) Bristol. (Although I think the debate too often centres around there being a fixed pie which is divvied up between CWL and BRS, rather than looking at how demand in Wales might be stimulated - see all LoCo carriers for a lesson in creating demand where there was none!)

It is legitimate for the Welsh government to ensure that the airport supports its objectives around connectivity (with the investment and other financial and cultural benefits this brings). You rightly say value for money will always vary from person-to-person. But how can we establish value for money if we don't know (a) how much money is being put it and (b) what the objectives of the WG are?

The masterplan sets out how the airport will be developed (hotel, terminal, roads) but not the ultimate objectives of this development. What is the route network and connectivity the WG seeks, what are the actual, measurable benefits and how much is being put in to deliver this? When we get this info the Welsh tax-payer can decide. It just seems like its a black-hole at the moment.

What happens if in 20 years the Welsh Government has sunk in half a billion and the airport is still struggling to maintain multi-daily connections to key UK and European cities and a long-haul route to a major hub?

Maybe this information has been published.... please point me in the right direction if it has. :)

PDXCWL45
15th May 2019, 13:36
Interesting article from Carwyn Jones the former First minister about the importance of Cardiff Airport to Wales.
https://businessnewswales.com/the-importance-of-cardiff-airport-to-the-welsh-economy/

bad bear
16th May 2019, 07:02
Also an interesting article in “Wales on line “ saying the airport has had its best year in 8 and claims to have made a profit. So far the airport has only spent £30m of the available £38m loan available. Airport now planning to spend £100m on new terminal which it needs if there are to be more than 2 m passengers ( previous best year was 2.3m passengers)
future plan suggests 3 m passengers by year “ X” . What happens if Flybe dump Cardiff and only a few of the routes were profitable enough for another airline to pick up?

PDXCWL45
16th May 2019, 07:17
Also an interesting article in “Wales on line “ saying the airport has had its best year in 8 and claims to have made a profit. So far the airport has only spent £30m of the available £38m loan available. Airport now planning to spend £100m on new terminal which it needs if there are to be more than 2 m passengers ( previous best year was 2.3m passengers)
future plan suggests 3 m passengers by year “ X” . What happens if Flybe dump Cardiff and only a few of the routes were profitable enough for another airline to pick up?
The money for the new terminal was always supposed to come from a private investor whether that is still the plan idk. Flybes withdrawal will throw a spanner into their projections. As for routes I imagine that the airport will try and get Ryanair to replace some and then try to attract other airlines like Eurowings and and Volotea and Loganair on others. Bumpy road ahead for Cardiff!

PDXCWL45
20th May 2019, 14:56
Has anyone heard anything about whether Flybe will continue at Cardiff after October or if Cardiff has been dropped. Seems to taking a while to finalise things.

yeo valley
21st May 2019, 05:44
Has anyone heard anything about whether Flybe will continue at Cardiff after October or if Cardiff has been dropped. Seems to taking a while to finalise things.

I would have thought if flybe staying then routes would have been released by now. Getting a bit late to release a programme of flights now. About the only thing being released now is odd routes to fill in gaps of a fullish programme from airports.

ATNotts
21st May 2019, 06:30
I would have thought if flybe staying then routes would have been released by now. Getting a bit late to release a programme of flights now. About the only thing being released now is odd routes to fill in gaps of a fullish programme from airports.

If all they are looking to operate is domestic / business services, then announcing schedules 3 months before they start is not unreasonable. It's only where bucket and spade / leisure orientated services are involved that longer is required.

PDXCWL45
21st May 2019, 07:43
I think there still plenty of time to release it but they may lose many of the early bird customers. I think for me though the longer they wait creates more uncertainty about whether they will be operating from CWL at all.

runway30
21st May 2019, 10:26
I think there still plenty of time to release it but they may lose many of the early bird customers. I think for me though the longer they wait creates more uncertainty about whether they will be operating from CWL at all.

On one side you have Flybe who know that if they take their toys away they leave CWL with a very big hole to fill. On the other side is CWL who signed a ten year deal to subsidise the E jets in exchange for profits at the back end of the deal. I suspect that Flybe will want to rip up that deal, bank the subsidy they have already received and get another cheap/subsidised deal. Imagine what difficulties that would pose for CWL/Welsh Government and then imagine what a difficult conversation it must be.

PDXCWL45
21st May 2019, 11:49
On one side you have Flybe who know that if they take their toys away they leave CWL with a very big hole to fill. On the other side is CWL who signed a ten year deal to subsidise the E jets in exchange for profits at the back end of the deal. I suspect that Flybe will want to rip up that deal, bank the subsidy they have already received and get another cheap/subsidised deal. Imagine what difficulties that would pose for CWL/Welsh Government and then imagine what a difficult conversation it must be.
Yes I understand how difficult it will be especially as I'd imagine if Flybe are after subsidies the airport will want based aircraft that Flybe might not either have or want to base but unfortunately the longer it goes on it will create uncertainty hanging over the airport and people will look elsewhere for flights.

Wycombe
28th May 2019, 12:40
Flybe online timetable appears to now be showing some flights from 27th Oct.....

EDI looks like 3 flights daily (weekdays) - first outbound at 0920
DUB looks like 3 daily (weekdays) - first outbound at 0700 (indicates a night-stopping aircraft?)
CDG daily departing at 0840 on weekdays
NCL daily departing at 1025 on weekdays (op by Eastern)
VLY looks to operate as today (op by Eastern)
BHD daily departing 1330 weekdays
ORK Tues and Thurs departing 1035
JER Mon, Weds, Fri departing at 1035
GLA nothing direct showing, neither for FCO, MUC, VCE, VRN or MXP

There might be more I didn't find, but I guess this was what was to be expected?

fanrailuk
28th May 2019, 14:11
Also FAO is ending at the end of S19.

GVA will continue weekly during peak Winter on a Dash8.

Flybe online timetable appears to now be showing some flights from 27th Oct.....

DUB looks like 3 daily (weekdays) - first outbound at 0700 (indicates a night-stopping aircraft?)

There might be more I didn't find, but I guess this was what was to be expected?

PDXCWL45
28th May 2019, 14:14

I'm quite surprised by it especially as it would come to at least a 2 aircraft base and there will be at least 1 aircraft based/overnighted there as Paris on the Sunday has a 07.00 departure. Paris looks like it'll be operated by a Belfast based aircraft.
It looks like this.

Edinburgh 18 weekly with 3 daily Monday to Friday 1 daily on Saturday and 2 daily Sunday non based aircraft earliest departure 09.20.

Dublin 19 weekly with 3 daily Sunday to Friday 1 daily Saturday based/overnight aircraft except Sunday earliest departure 07.00.

Cork 3 weekly Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Jersey 4 weekly Sunday,Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Paris CDG 8 weekly daily Monday to Saturday 2 daily Sunday

Belfast 7 weekly daily non based

Comes to 59 weekly departures so far. It also looks like they will be adding extra aircraft to their Belfast and Edinburgh bases. Does beg the question if they are operating such a comprehensive schedule why close the base? Especially as they will be basing/overnighting an aircraft anyway.
CWL does lose it's ski routes by the looks of it and as expected Italy, Germany and Portugal go.

caaardiff
28th May 2019, 15:36
I'm quite surprised by it especially as it would come to at least a 2 aircraft base and there will be at least 1 aircraft based/overnighted there as Paris on the Sunday has a 07.00 departure. Paris looks like it'll be operated by a Belfast based aircraft.
It looks like this.

Edinburgh 18 weekly with 3 daily Monday to Friday 1 daily on Saturday and 2 daily Sunday non based aircraft earliest departure 09.20.

Dublin 19 weekly with 3 daily Sunday to Friday 1 daily Saturday based/overnight aircraft except Sunday earliest departure 07.00.

Cork 3 weekly Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Jersey 4 weekly Sunday,Monday, Wednesday and Friday

Paris CDG 8 weekly daily Monday to Saturday 2 daily Sunday

Belfast 7 weekly daily non based

Comes to 59 weekly departures so far. It also looks like they will be adding extra aircraft to their Belfast and Edinburgh bases. Does beg the question if they are operating such a comprehensive schedule why close the base? Especially as they will be basing/overnighting an aircraft anyway.
CWL does lose it's ski routes by the looks of it and as expected Italy, Germany and Portugal go.

Despite the kick in the teeth for the CWL based crews that have been made redundant, this is actually pretty good news for CWL.

I have a feeling that as more routes have been kept than expected, with EDI and DUB seeing further increases in weekly total flights that Flybe either couldn't get out of the contract they had with the Welsh Government, or the Government has negotiated a new deal. Hopefully they aren't throwing any new money at this and it's all from the original deal. I'm surprised ORK and JER have survived which leads me to believe the WG have pulled the strings on this one as well.
Hopefully EDI and DUB can support the 3x daily which offers great options for people wanting to fly and hopefully it's not too late for the release and people haven't booked elsewhere for the Winter.
59 weekly flights can't be that much of a drop from the current number. Does anyone know how many weekly flights Flybe operate currently?

PDXCWL45
28th May 2019, 15:49
Despite the kick in the teeth for the CWL based crews that have been made redundant, this is actually pretty good news for CWL.

I have a feeling that as more routes have been kept than expected, with EDI and DUB seeing further increases in weekly total flights that Flybe either couldn't get out of the contract they had with the Welsh Government, or the Government has negotiated a new deal. Hopefully they aren't throwing any new money at this and it's all from the original deal. I'm surprised ORK and JER have survived which leads me to believe the WG have pulled the strings on this one as well.
Hopefully EDI and DUB can support the 3x daily which offers great options for people wanting to fly and hopefully it's not too late for the release and people haven't booked elsewhere for the Winter.
59 weekly flights can't be that much of a drop from the current number. Does anyone know how many weekly flights Flybe operate currently?

It is better than expected, as i think many were just expecting it to be a lot less. At the moment Flybe operates about 70 departures a week off the top of my head and on routes like EDI and DUB there will be an increase in flights. It's still disappointing that they couldn't keep the base open especially considdering the size of the current schedule. Of course in July Connect take over properly so maybe they will be amenable to it reopening in the future.
With EDI now not having a 07.00 departure it will be interesting to see how the route does compared to this year.
In total Flybe will lose 7 routes, Geneva, Chambery, Glasgow, Munich, Rome, Verona and Venice. Hopefully those routes will be picked up by other airlines.

Letsflycwl
28th May 2019, 16:06
I thought that GVA was staying with the Dash 8 - someone reported this elsewhere ?

PDXCWL45
28th May 2019, 16:27
I thought that GVA was staying with the Dash 8 - someone reported this elsewhere ?

Well when i checked it wasn't on the timetable unless they are going to add it later or just run it as a pure charter. At the moment all the info we have is off the timetable which is currently unavailable.

caaardiff
28th May 2019, 16:29
It starts the end of December.

PDXCWL45
29th May 2019, 16:44
At the moment this is what CWL will look like at peak in winter 2019/20 for weekly departures.
Flybe 60 weekly departures (4680 departing seats assumed all Q400)
KLM 20 weekly departures (1832 departing seats)
Eastern Airways 16 weekly departures (364 departing seats)
TUI 11 weekly departures (2079 departing seats)
Qatar Airways 5 weekly departures (1270 departing seats)
Vueling 5 weekly departures (930 departing seats)
Ryanair 4 weekly departures (756 departing seats)
121 weekly departures in total. (11,911 departing seats)
Overnighting aircraft will be 1 Flybe Q400 tbc, 1 Eastern Airways J41, 1 TUI 737 800 and 1 KLM E190.
It also looks like the KLM overnight aircraft will be an E190 all winter from the end of October to the end of March.

RedDragonFlyer
30th May 2019, 10:08
This is pretty good news for CWL. You're right. Many were expecting much worse from flybe closing the base. The only thing that surprises me is the lack of Glasgow flight.

What happened to those KLM 737 flights to Cardiff too? It was very random to just offer the flights for a month and a bit. I'm not expecting mainline flights to Cardiff, but it would be good to get an extra afternoon departure.

mwm991
30th May 2019, 10:15
This is pretty good news for CWL. You're right. Many were expecting much worse from flybe closing the base. The only thing that surprises me is the lack of Glasgow flight.

What happened to those KLM 737 flights to Cardiff too? It was very random to just offer the flights for a month and a bit. I'm not expecting mainline flights to Cardiff, but it would be good to get an extra afternoon departure.
Would imagine Loganair will pick up the Glasgow flight?

PDXCWL45
30th May 2019, 10:31

With Glasgow I can only just assume it wasn't profitable.
As for KLM that 737 was odd. I'm starting to believe it may have been Brexit related so KLM can keep the 4th frequency if they wanted to.

fanrailuk
30th May 2019, 12:05
According to Flybe's social media, Chambéry (CMF) will be on sale from CWL in early June.

This will add to the already weekly GVA which will continue in W19/20 and recommences on 14th December.

caaardiff
30th May 2019, 14:09
With Glasgow I can only just assume it wasn't profitable.
As for KLM that 737 was odd. I'm starting to believe it may have been Brexit related so KLM can keep the 4th frequency if they wanted to.

Why would it be Brexit related?

PDXCWL45
30th May 2019, 14:58
Why would it be Brexit related?
If I remember correctly there was talk of the amount of flights from/to the EU being restricted to the same as 2018 for 2019 in the likelihood of a no deal Brexit and I believe that the IATA year is April to the end of March. So I just wonder if they were KLM making sure that they had a 4th daily flight to Cardiff if they needed it. Just a theory. No doubt I'm probably way off.

Letsflycwl
30th May 2019, 18:20
I wonder if Loganair would be interested in taking over the GLA service? They tend to have a large presence at GLA these days so it could be a perfect fit.

PDXCWL45
30th May 2019, 19:13
I wonder if Loganair would be interested in taking over the GLA service? They tend to have a large presence at GLA these days so it could be a perfect fit.

They probably are the only other option but it could be that the route is just not profitable and maybe Cork being retained is evidence of that.

Letsflycwl
30th May 2019, 19:24
Yeah very true, mid you back in the Air Wales day we used to have a daily ORK flight and that was always pretty full.

Maybe the EM4 or EM3 aircraft of Loganair be a better fit for GLA over the Flybe E75......who knows.

yeo valley
31st May 2019, 10:23
No E75 running out of CWL,all dash 8 aircraft. They are cheaper to run than the E75. Its not the bums on seats that count,but its the yeid that counts.Airlines are a business to make money ,and not a charity.

shamrock7seal
31st May 2019, 10:50
Airlines that focus on yield and not reducing costs usually end up in the sh*t

yeo valley
31st May 2019, 10:52
True but yield pays the bills end of day.

PDXCWL45
31st May 2019, 12:24
For the routes that are left the Q400 is the better aircraft though it will put some people off.
One of the pluses about the new schedule is the frequency to Dublin is much better for it as a transatlantic hub.
In the end the damage is not as bad as feared with only a reduction of about 25% on seats onsale and hopefully some of the Italian routes will be recovered in due time.
I do have to feel though for the people being made redundant. Hopefully they'll find new employment pretty quickly.

Letsflycwl
31st May 2019, 15:49
It’s on the BOH page that TUI May be looking at Cape Verde for 2020 from there, I know it’s all rumours etc but that would be a great destination for CWL too !!

I wonder if CWL are chasing TUI for this destination ? They do it from BRS already.

rog747
31st May 2019, 16:10
I think TUI will be very guarded over their future plans and any expansions as they announce losses of up to 300m euros due to the MAX groundings plus a possible -26% hit on the yearly figures.
TUI do not think they will see the MAX back this summer and are planning a hit of 300m Euros.

Letsflycwl
31st May 2019, 17:21
Ouch that’s what I kind of thought, wishful thinking as the Cape Verde Islands are a lovely destination

PDXCWL45
31st May 2019, 17:58
It’s on the BOH page that TUI May be looking at Cape Verde for 2020 from there, I know it’s all rumours etc but that would be a great destination for CWL too !!

I wonder if CWL are chasing TUI for this destination ? They do it from BRS already.
I'd be surprised if they ever operated it from Cardiff but it would be nice but surprising. A lot of the destinations that TUI do from Cardiff are linked to cruises as that is popular. I expect any further expansion would be linked to that or Turkey. Would be nice to see if they brought back Orlando but it would be surprising if they did.

PDXCWL45
4th Jun 2019, 21:02
CAA Stats for April 2019
The airport saw 126,274 passengers use it in April up 20.4% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,606,458 up 7.5% on 2018.
Atms were 1384 up 6.4%.
Top 10 routes
1. Amsterdam 13,396
2. Alicante 11,278
3. Tenerife South 10,726
4. Edinburgh 9761
5. Doha 7884
6. Dublin 7814
7. Malaga 7426
8. Palma de Mallorca 6882
9. Paris CDG 6747
10. Arrecife 4234

Ryanair's new services.
Malta saw 2552 passengers use the route. 159 LF per flight 84%LF.
Barcelona saw 2878 passengers use the route down only 3% from last year. 159 LF per flight 84%LF.
Not a bad start.
Qatar Airways
7884 for the month. Average LF of 179 70%LF.

VickersVicount
5th Jun 2019, 19:27
Qatar Airways
7884 for the month. Average LF of 179 70%LF.
Not too bad, i've seen worse in the UK from QR

TartinTon
5th Jun 2019, 19:46
Shame that they haven't updated the excel download as well! Both Mar and Apr show Mar data......

Sharklet_321
6th Jun 2019, 14:56
Good rolling total and improving performance on Doha is good to see

PDXCWL45
6th Jun 2019, 15:07
Yep overall the airport is going in the right direction and the Qatar route as well seems to be growing. I think its just about awareness and getting people look at Cardiff as their first option. Amsterdam is also doing well and KLM have added extra seats as well. I'm flying with them at the end of the month booked through Delta and it was as cheap as the Heathrow option.

PDXCWL45
8th Jun 2019, 12:44
RPS on behalf of Legal and general is preparing an outline planning application to build a new business park on port road adjacent to Cardiff airport which will include offices, industrial units, space for logistics, warehousing and distribution.
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/everything-know-huge-business-park-16396944?fbclid=IwAR2ZxVPVPLyvL7j6tSYrDEsQd-oQPcjSiUILvdZgu9ukza3RFITMSXN_0BY

PDXCWL45
11th Jun 2019, 07:02
The Welsh Affairs committee has recommended that the UK government devolve APD to Wales by 2021. The UK government now has 2 month's to reply.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1138220547614097408

Letsflycwl
11th Jun 2019, 07:12
The Welsh Affairs committee has recommended that the UK government devolve APD to Wales by 2021. The UK government now has 2 month's to reply.

Lets hope there is an agreement this time for this to be devolved to the Welsh Government to control as this could be of great benefit to CWL and Wales !

fanrailuk
11th Jun 2019, 10:53

Link to the official article if anyone is interested:

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/06/11/unanimous-agreement-of-welsh-affairs-committee-devolve-air-passenger-duty-to-wales-by-2021/

PDXCWL45
11th Jun 2019, 13:43
Lets hope there is an agreement this time for this to be devolved to the Welsh Government to control as this could be of great benefit to CWL and Wales !
I'm not holding my breath but even just long haul would be an achievement.

PDXCWL45
14th Jun 2019, 11:53
Wizzair will be operating flights from Budapest to Cardiff on the 19th/20th November for the Wales v Hungary game. The aircrafts will arrive Tuesday morning and then depart in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
https://twitter.com/wizzair/status/1139469604173033472?s=19

Letsflycwl
22nd Jun 2019, 21:24
Wizzair will be operating flights from Budapest to Cardiff on the 19th/20th November for the Wales v Hungary game. The aircrafts will arrive Tuesday morning and then depart in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
https://twitter.com/wizzair/status/1139469604173033472?s=19

There now also appears to be a Wizz Air flight to Debrecen in Hungary along with Budapest, not sure if it is now 3 flights (x2 BUD & x1 DEB) or 2 flights (x1 BUD & x1 DEB).

PDXCWL45
23rd Jun 2019, 06:52
There now also appears to be a Wizz Air flight to Debrecen in Hungary along with Budapest, not sure if it is now 3 flights (x2 BUD & x1 DEB) or 2 flights (x1 BUD & x1 DEB).
it's extra.
So there will be 2 flights from Budapest and 1 from Debrecen

PDXCWL45
23rd Jun 2019, 08:35
Updated info:
WizzAir will be operating flights from Budapest and Debrecen to Cardiff on the 19th November with the return flights on the 20th November for the Wales v Hungary Euro 2020 qualifier.
The times are below.
19th November
BUD-CWL 08.00-09.45
BUD-CWL 08.30-10.15
DEB-CWL 09.00-10.45
20th November
CWL-BUD 01.00-04.30
CWL-DEB 01.15-04.45
CWL-BUD 01.30-04.55

Budapest flights will be operated by their A321 aircraft and Debrecen by their A320.

PDXCWL45
2nd Jul 2019, 02:53
CAA Stats May 2019
176,704 passengers used the airport in May up 7.2% on 2018.
The rolling year was 1,618,265 up 7.1% on 2018.
Top 10 routes
1. Palma de Mallorca 14,998
2. Amsterdam 13,799
3. Alicante 11,435
4. Edinburgh 9904
5. Malaga 9884
6. Tenerife South 8736
7. Dublin 8174
8. Dalaman 7734
9. Paris CDG 6957
10. Doha 4997

Sharklet_321
7th Jul 2019, 07:27
The Doha stats have increased by 69% over May last year but still seem incredibly low for a daily wide-body. Can anyone provide an accurate load factor for this?

Total May 2019 CWL Performance is excellent overall with a monthly total that is 20,000 pax ahead of the likes of SOU.

MerchantVenturer
7th Jul 2019, 12:41
Total May 2019 CWL Performance is excellent overall with a monthly total that is 20,000 pax ahead of the likes of SOU.

CWL and SEN are the two airports immediately behind SOU in terms of annual passenger figures but are catching up, with SOU falling away into the bargain. In May:

CWL handled 176,704 (up 7.2%) with a 12-month rolling total of 1,618,285 (up 7.1% on a year ago).
SEN handled 203,284 (up 58.1%) with a 12-month rolling total of 1,646,146 (up 37% on a year ago).
SOU handled 159,249 (down 13%) with a 12-month rolling total of 1,921,779 (down 7.1% on a year ago)

CWL is seeing steady but consistent growth, as it has done for the past few years. With yet more pressure on the government to devolve APD together with the increasing likelihood that BRS (its main competitor) will find getting local authority permission to raise its 10 mppa passenger cap becoming more difficult following May's local elections, the 2020s could be a good decade for CWL.

bycrewlgw
7th Jul 2019, 12:49
The Doha stats have increased by 69% over May last year but still seem incredibly low for a daily wide-body. Can anyone provide an accurate load factor for this?

yeah not great numbers but it was Ramadan during this time so could have lead to reduced demand. Numbers did shoot up for the summer last year though so would be interesting to see what the figures are like this summer with people being able to plan summer holidays etc well in advance. Having said all that though it does depend on the yield and what cargo is being carried. Those numbers may actually be making a profit. We will never know.

PDXCWL45
7th Jul 2019, 15:08

It's not daily in May. It's 5 weekly. It's daily from June. But generally Qatar LFs for May seem low for the UK.
Its

VickersVicount
7th Jul 2019, 18:26
Lots of low QR LF across UK so don't think they're that fussed!

LBIA
8th Jul 2019, 12:17
Wizz Air will be operating 3x flights into Cardiff from Budapest & Debrecen on the 19th & 20th November in connection with the UEFA Euro Qualifier, between Wales and Hungary.

BUD 08:00 - CWL 09:45 / CWL 01:00 - BUD 04:30
BUD 08:30 - CWL 10:15 / CWL 01:30 - BUD 04:55
DEB 09:00 - CWL 10:45 / CWL 01:15 - DEB 04:45

MerchantVenturer
8th Jul 2019, 17:18
Wizz Air will be operating 3x flights into Cardiff from Budapest & Debrecen on the 19th & 20th November in connection with the UEFA Euro Qualifier, between Wales and Hungary.

BUD 08:00 - CWL 09:45 / CWL 01:00 - BUD 04:30
BUD 08:30 - CWL 10:15 / CWL 01:30 - BUD 04:55
DEB 09:00 - CWL 10:45 / CWL 01:15 - DEB 04:45
See #1115-1118 above.

CabinCrewe
8th Jul 2019, 21:28
Lots of low QR LF across UK so don't think they're that fussed!
And another 1-2 UK departure points planned for next 12-18 months apparently. With those intermittent and sometimes dire loads... have they no shame?! (and not a unnecessary shouty bold print, capitalisation or emphasis in sight)

sinbad73
9th Jul 2019, 00:46
And another 1-2 UK departure points planned for next 12-18 months apparently. With those intermittent and sometimes dire loads... have they no shame?! (and not a unnecessary shouty bold print, capitalisation or emphasis in sight)

Aren't QR meant to be a vanity project for the Qatari government and they just thrown money at them regardless of dire loads? Isn't their sole purpose to usurp EK at any given opportunity?

PDXCWL45
9th Jul 2019, 07:10
Aren't QR meant to be a vanity project for the Qatari government and they just thrown money at them regardless of dire loads? Isn't their sole purpose to usurp EK at any given opportunity?
Or maybe they value the feed from the UK into their network? Passenger and cargo wise.

PDXCWL45
10th Jul 2019, 17:05
NATS have signed a 10 year deal to provide Cardiff airport with ATC and engineering services. They will also provide ATC for St Athan.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/07/10/nats-secures-ten-year-contract-at-cardiff-airport/

bravoromeosierra
11th Jul 2019, 10:02

Well, that will get the rumour mill ticking! Newcastle or Glasgow maybe?

PDXCWL45
11th Jul 2019, 10:15
Well, that will get the rumour mill ticking! Newcastle or Glasgow maybe?
Or Belfast?

PDXCWL45
17th Jul 2019, 15:11
According to the airport June saw 193,176 passengers use the airport with 6% growth on 2018. The rolling year was 1,632,689 passengers.
April, May and June have seen 496,434 passengers use the airport up 10% on 2018.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/07/17/cardiff-airport-reports-10-growth-for-first-quarter-of-the-financial-year/

PDXCWL45
19th Jul 2019, 20:51
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/07/19/cardiff-airport-expecting-busiest-summer-season-in-over-10-years/
From the article linked above.
The top ten most popular routes this summer are:

Palma de Mallorca with Vueling, TUI and Thomas Cook
Malaga with Vueling, Ryanair and TUI
Amsterdam with KLM
Doha with Qatar Airways
Edinburgh with Flybe
Alicante with TUI and Vueling
Dublin with Flybe
Dalaman with Thomas Cook and TUI
Tenerife with Thomas Cook, TUI and Ryanair
Paris with Flybe

Hopefully that means Doha is around the 9000 to 10000 mark for June

bycrewlgw
20th Jul 2019, 05:42
anyone know what the forecast passenger figures for 2019 could be?

PDXCWL45
20th Jul 2019, 05:48
anyone know what the forecast passenger figures for 2019 could be?
I don't think that the airport put anything official out but i would've thought that the target should be around 1.65 million to 1.7 million passengers for the year.

bycrewlgw
20th Jul 2019, 06:04
I don't think that the airport put anything official out but i would've thought that the target should be around 1.65 million to 1.7 million passengers for the year.

cheers for that. Nice bit of organic growth there 👍🏻

PDXCWL45
20th Jul 2019, 07:14
cheers for that. Nice bit of organic growth there 👍🏻
yes it is though some seem to think the airport should be doing way better.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-49023188

bycrewlgw
20th Jul 2019, 08:47
yes it is though some seem to think the airport should be doing way better.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-49023188

Yeah I read that. Typical politician though.

PDXCWL45
20th Jul 2019, 09:05
Yeah I read that. Typical politician though.
Yeah part of it is political opportunity but I do get the feeling that their is a lot of the time an unrealistic expectation around Cardiff. I had a conversation with ex CWL management who feels that it's way under performing and should already be over the 2 million passengers mark. A lot of people I speak to seem to be believe Cardiff should be up there competing with Bristol and Birmingham as an airport. I just think that is unrealistic.

LGS6753
20th Jul 2019, 09:23
The BBC article says that a positive EBITDA has been achieved for the first time in 8 years. For the uninitiated, EBITDA = Earnings Before Interest Tax Depreciation & Amortisation. Any business that struggles to achieve a positive EBITDA is a basket case (unless it is in a massive growth phase, which CWL isn't).
So for 8 years Welsh taxpayers have been funding a business that makes no profit, pays no (corporation) tax, can't pay interest on its debts, and is making no contribution to renewing its assets. If I was a Welsh taxpayer, I would be unhappy, to say the least.

SWBKCB
20th Jul 2019, 09:28
Have taxpayers been funding it for 8 years? Thought WG only got involved a couple of years ago?

MerchantVenturer
20th Jul 2019, 10:01
CWL was purchased by the Welsh Government in March 2013 for a reported £52 million.

PDXCWL45
20th Jul 2019, 10:30
The BBC article says that a positive EBITDA has been achieved for the first time in 8 years. For the uninitiated, EBITDA = Earnings Before Interest Tax Depreciation & Amortisation. Any business that struggles to achieve a positive EBITDA is a basket case (unless it is in a massive growth phase, which CWL isn't).
So for 8 years Welsh taxpayers have been funding a business that makes no profit, pays no (corporation) tax, can't pay interest on its debts, and is making no contribution to renewing its assets. If I was a Welsh taxpayer, I would be unhappy, to say the least.
Except that they bought it in 2013 so 3 of those years were under Albertis. The airport has essentially been recovering from their ownership.

PDXCWL45
27th Jul 2019, 09:08
Vueling summer 2020 so far looks like this.
Alicante 6 weekly
Malaga 4 weekly 3 in April
Mallorca 3 weekly 2 in April

Malaga will operate on Tuesday, Wednesday (not in April), Thursday and Saturday.
Mallorca will operate on Monday, Wednesday (not in April) and Thursday.

13 weekly flights except for April when its 11 weekly.
Loss of 2 weekly flights and 3 in April.

PDXCWL45
28th Jul 2019, 14:55
This is roughly what each airline will be operating out of Cardiff airport for winter 2019/20.
Flybe 60 weekly departures
Eastern Airways 15 weekly departures
Ryanair 4 weekly departures
Vueling 5 weekly departures
Qatar Airways 5 weekly departures
KLM 20 weekly departures
TUI 11 weekly departures
120 weekly departures
Altogether 240 weekly flights and 24,124 seats onsale.

Letsflycwl
28th Jul 2019, 16:24
Not as bad as initially expected, I wonder if Ryanair will add some more flights for Summer 2020 to replace the longer Flybe destinations no longer served.

Be good to see the likes of Rome, Milan or Venice remaining on the departure boards next year.

Also shame to be loosing MUC & VRN too - would these destinations fit into anyone else’s schedules ?

Finally I wonder if Loganair would ever consider the GLA service ?

PDXCWL45
28th Jul 2019, 16:44
Not as bad as initially expected, I wonder if Ryanair will add some more flights for Summer 2020 to replace the longer Flybe destinations no longer served.

Be good to see the likes of Rome, Milan or Venice remaining on the departure boards next year.

Also shame to be loosing MUC & VRN too - would these destinations fit into anyone else’s schedules ?

Finally I wonder if Loganair would ever consider the GLA service ?
If Flybe schedule remains the same as winter I could see Verona replacing Geneva or Chambery on Saturdays.
I don't see Ryanair operating Milan or venice but Rome could be a contender eventually and hopefully they'll add frequency to Faro.
Unless Flybe reinstate the base one day then I don't see Glasgow returning.

Letsflycwl
28th Jul 2019, 22:25
Yeah I can see the VRN carrying on for Summer 2020 instead of GVA & CMF.

Hopefully we will see something else added to the FR schedule too.

All in all its not all doom & gloom this winter but hopeful for 2020.

PDXCWL45
29th Jul 2019, 06:11
Yeah I can see the VRN carrying on for Summer 2020 instead of GVA & CMF.

Hopefully we will see something else added to the FR schedule too.

All in all its not all doom & gloom this winter but hopeful for 2020.
I do think that the airportairport's future growth is now in the hands of Ryanair and TUI.
Flybe will be an uncertainty for a while with the new owners but hopefully eventually the crew base will come back but it is better than many feared.
Bar that who knows we could have a miracle happen and see Easyjet or Jet2 in the future! With aviation you never know what is around the corner!

FRatSTN
29th Jul 2019, 07:44
we could have a miracle happen and see Easyjet or Jet2 in the future!

I don't think Jet2 would be that much of a miracle actually. On the basis that BRS has little in the way of overnight/based capacity, BOH and/or CWL will be the next obvious move for Jet2. That's probably 2 or 3 years away though, at least.

Severn
29th Jul 2019, 08:59
I don't think Jet2 would be that much of a miracle actually. On the basis that BRS has little in the way of overnight/based capacity, BOH and/or CWL will be the next obvious move for Jet2. That's probably 2 or 3 years away though, at least.
Not quite true since BMI Regionals demise. With their 5/6 E145s no longer based overnight, BRS has changed 4x E145 stands into 3x Airbus-sized stands, along with 2x new stands that have just been built on the car park for the old terminal building. The old terminal building will then be demolished this winter and more stands are to be built to be ready before next summer.
Of course, this doesn't mean Jet2 is more likely to turn up at Bristol, but BRS are no longer as constrained for stands as they were not too long ago!

PDXCWL45
29th Jul 2019, 11:16
I think rather than stands it would be the 10 million passengers cap that could see them at Cardiff.

caaardiff
29th Jul 2019, 15:59
I think rather than stands it would be the 10 million passengers cap that could see them at Cardiff.

BRS is also nearing its night quota

PDXCWL45
30th Jul 2019, 18:53
CAA Stats June 2019
The airport saw 192,988 passengers use it in June up 6.2% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,629,961 up 8.1% on 2018.
Atms were 1730 up 1.3% for the month.
Top 10 routes
1. Palma de Mallorca 17,091
2. Malaga 13,764
3. Amsterdam 13,532
4. Alicante 11,846
5. Edinburgh 9435
6. Dublin 8699
7. Dalaman 7841
8. Tenerife 7572
9. Paris CDG 7138
10. Zakinthos 6292

cymru
31st Jul 2019, 15:23
Top 10 routes
1. Palma de Mallorca 17,091
2. Malaga 13,764
3. Amsterdam 13,532
4. Alicante 11,846
5. Edinburgh 9435
6. Dublin 8699
7. Dalaman 7841
8. Tenerife 7572
9. Paris CDG 7138
10. Zakinthos 6292

No surprise the top 3 destinations are the only places that are nearly daily and allow for long weekends away. If there were other destinations that were serviced on a Thurs, Fri, Sun and Mon that allowed for shorter breaks I dare say they would be up there.

PDXCWL45
31st Jul 2019, 15:54
No surprise the top 3 destinations are the only places that are nearly daily and allow for long weekends away. If there were other destinations that were serviced on a Thurs, Fri, Sun and Mon that allowed for shorter breaks I dare say they would be up there.

You'd probably find them in the top 5 of most airports in the UK as they are generally the busiest routes. Amsterdam is a bit deceptive as most people like wouldn't be visiting Amsterdam itself but catching onward connections with KLM or their skyteam partners.

PDXCWL45
31st Jul 2019, 15:55
CAA Stats June 2019
Domestic
Anglesey 1063 -18%
Belfast City TBA
Edinburgh 9435
Glasgow 2736 +4%
Jersey 1840 -16%
Newcastle 487 -58%
European
Dubrovnik 1359
Larnaca 3414 +18%
Paphos 2947 +94%
Le Havre 36
Paris CDG 7138 +1%
Munich 1183 -7%
Corfu 2921 +56%
Heraklion 1448 -4%
Keffalinia 1456 -3%
Kos 3032 +93%
Rhodes 4762 +67%
Zakinthos 6292 +50%
Cork 1033 -10%
Dublin 8699 -2%
Milan MXP 1257 -41%
Naples 1448
Rome FCO 1321 -27%
Venice 1019 -29%
Verona 1180 -21%
Malta 2996
Amsterdam 13,532 +7%
Faro 6972 -24%
Alicante 11,846 +14%
Barcelona 3039 -21%
Ibiza 4762 -29%
Mahon 4752 +41%
Malaga 13,764 +37%
Palma de Mallorca 17,091 -13%
Reus 3550 +14%
Arrecife 3349 -22%
Las Palmas 1878
Tenerife 7572 -3%
Burgas 3098 -27%
International
Antalya 3304 +1%
Dalaman 7841 +2%
Hurghada 1266
Enfidha 3038
Doha 6077 +35%

Letsflycwl
6th Aug 2019, 06:20
With Wizz Air announcing new routes from/to EDI, I wonder if they would ever consider offering flight from from CWL ?

They are doing football charters to BUD & DEB in November and wishful thinking here but regular flights to cities like BUD or PRG would be great.

PDXCWL45
6th Aug 2019, 06:47
With Wizz Air announcing new routes from/to EDI, I wonder if they would ever consider offering flight from from CWL ?

They are doing football charters to BUD & DEB in November and wishful thinking here but regular flights to cities like BUD or PRG would be great.
It would be nice but I don't see the tourist demand for Wales as a destination from Eastern Europe that would help the route get going. Edinburgh is a big tourist destination and I wouldn't be surprised if they go for Dublin next.
Eastern Europe is too well catered for at Bristol

PDXCWL45
6th Aug 2019, 13:43
New cocktail bar for the departures lounge. Looks like it could be temporary.
https://twitter.com/SloaneHome/status/1158607232533221376?s=19
And Qatar Airways see Cardiff as a long term route.
https://www.business-live.co.uk/regional-development/how-many-passengers-flew-first-16701011

CabinCrewe
6th Aug 2019, 18:19
55% loads? "Hugely encouraging"? Something doesn't quite add up there. Hadn't realised it was still so low.

PDXCWL45
6th Aug 2019, 18:42
55% loads? "Hugely encouraging"? Something doesn't quite add up there. Hadn't realised it was still so low.
Well that's what they said! Could be that the yields are extremely good!

SWBKCB
6th Aug 2019, 19:12
Well that's what they said!

To be fair, they're not going to say anything else, are they? Doesn't say that it's wrong, but they aren't going to trash talk the route.

bycrewlgw
7th Aug 2019, 03:41

the CWL-DOH is often compared to NCL-DXB route. I saw yesterday on the CAA website that in its first year EK carried 44,000 from NCL not sure of the load factor but that couldn’t have been great either. As others have said, QR could actually be making money on this route. 👍🏻

GAXLN
7th Aug 2019, 09:25
the CWL-DOH is often compared to NCL-DXB route. I saw yesterday on the CAA website that in its first year EK carried 44,000 from NCL not sure of the load factor but that couldn’t have been great either. As others have said, QR could actually be making money on this route. 👍🏻

Newcastle-Dubai commenced September 1st 2007 so, if your first year analysis is for 2007, that was just four months operation. UK-Doha will always struggle as it is not a large destination in its own right. I have been to both Doha and Dubai. I am not convinced the World Cup alone is going to change that. So it is not right to compare the two routes - different airlines, different destinations, different catchments in respect of competition from other airports. The list could go on....

it it is great that, if you live in South Wales, there is an easy way to reach destinations beyond Doha on a daily basis. However, at the moment the route appears to be struggling and Cardiff is fortunate that the airlines pockets appear to be extremely deep. It might eventually get to where it needs to be but I would say the jury is still out on this. Meanwhile the airport will be working hard to make it sustainable so let us hope they are successful in encouraging growth in volumes and yield.

bycrewlgw
7th Aug 2019, 10:53
Newcastle-Dubai commenced September 1st 2007 so, if your first year analysis is for 2007, that was just four months operation. UK-Doha will always struggle as it is not a large destination in its own right. I have been to both Doha and Dubai. I am not convinced the World Cup alone is going to change that. So it is not right to compare the two routes - different airlines, different destinations, different catchments in respect of competition from other airports. The list could go on....

it it is great that, if you live in South Wales, there is an easy way to reach destinations beyond Doha on a daily basis. However, at the moment the route appears to be struggling and Cardiff is fortunate that the airlines pockets appear to be extremely deep. It might eventually get to where it needs to be but I would say the jury is still out on this. Meanwhile the airport will be working hard to make it sustainable so let us hope they are successful in encouraging growth in volumes and yield.

thamks for that. Just looked at the annual figures 🤦🏻*♂️

PDXCWL45
8th Aug 2019, 10:30
208,322 passengers used the airport in July. Rolling year was 1,648,000 up 8% according to the airport.

https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/08/08/cardiff-airport-reports-busiest-july-in-over-a-decade/

PDXCWL45
13th Aug 2019, 18:53
So curiously a week after announcements in the press that the Tenerife base is to close, the route is still onsale after January.

gilesdavies
13th Aug 2019, 20:01

Well looking through the Birmingham forum, it would appear they are only achieving 55% loads on Qatar Airways routes too, and has been operating from there for several years now.

Is the Welsh government offering an incentive or subsidiaries for Qatar to operate the route? If so, the proof in the pudding will be, if they continue when these finish.

Qatar Airways are in a qaundry, they are barred from operating to numerous Middle Eastern countries at the moment, due to a political spat between these countries and the Qatar government. It was hoped it would all be resolved in a few weeks, but that was 3-4 years ago! Then when the airline have a huge orders for wide bodied airvryaft, which they can usually fill on short haul routes feeding Middle Eastern passengers through their mega hub, they are now unsure what to do with all these aircraft. Then hence why Qatar are now at Cardiff operating routes which many airlines would consider marginal.

I think the smaller 787-8 makes these routes work from an economic stand point and are operating to a number of smaller European cities which previously would not be considered for such routes to the Middle East, like Gothenburg, Malta, Sarajevo, etc...

The airline has been quite conservative with their prices, and not flooding the market with crazy prices. While they offer some fairly decent prices, the deals are usually UK wide deals and Cardiff rarely gets any cheaper fares than other UK airport they operate from, from when I've been looking at fares.

The idea was of travelling on a long haul flight, which is only half full snd been able to spread out, sounds a dream to me. Might be a reason to use the route!

PDXCWL45
13th Aug 2019, 20:10
Is the Welsh government offering an incentive or subsidiaries for Qatar to operate the route? If so, the proof in the pudding will be, if they continue when these finish.
!
There is a marketing deal in place between the Welsh government and Qatar Airways. £1 million a year to promote Wales through their network. Which let's face it is small change governmental wise and i wouldn't be surprised if the deal with the airport itself gives free landing fees etc. The original deal was for 2 years but I'd imagine that it would get extended for another 2 years.
It would definitely be interesting to know how some of the other new european routes are getting on.

OltonPete
13th Aug 2019, 22:07
Well looking through the Birmingham forum, it would appear they are only achieving 55% loads on Qatar Airways routes too, and has been operating from there for several years now.

Qatar Airways are in a qaundry, they are barred from operating to numerous Middle Eastern countries at the moment, due to a political spat between these countries and the Qatar government. It was hoped it would all be resolved in a few weeks, but that was 3-4 years ago! Then when the airline have a huge orders for wide bodied airvryaft, which they can usually fill on short haul routes feeding Middle Eastern passengers through their mega hub, they are now unsure what to do with all these aircraft. Then hence why Qatar are now at Cardiff operating routes which many airlines would consider marginal.

I think the smaller 787-8 makes these routes work from an economic stand point and are operating to a number of smaller European cities which previously would not be considered for such routes to the Middle East, like Gothenburg, Malta, Sarajevo, etc...

The airline has been quite conservative with their prices, and not flooding the market with crazy prices. While they offer some fairly decent prices, the deals are usually UK wide deals and Cardiff rarely gets any cheaper fares than other UK airport they operate from, from when I've been looking at fares.

The idea was of travelling on a long haul flight, which is only half full snd been able to spread out, sounds a dream to me. Might be a reason to use the route!

Qatar

55% was just May for BHX - 2018 was 121002 pax averaging 165 pax per flight with a 65% load factor. 2019 - January 72%, Feb 73%, March 73%, April 82% (no doubt some EK pax), May 55% and June 58%. Manchester and Edinburgh were only a bit better but went on to get increased capacity this summer.

Pete

PDXCWL45
14th Aug 2019, 14:40
The Flybe base will be reduced to 2 based aircraft from the 23rd September.
Glasgow will end on the 20th September.
Belfast will be reduced to 6 weekly.
Apart from some time changes on Paris the rest looks unchanged.

PDXCWL45
19th Aug 2019, 09:51
Slightly embarrassing for Cardiff Airport that the Welsh rugby team No1 in the world are travelling to Turkey with Thomas Cook from Bristol because there are no flights to Turkey on a Sunday!
https://twitter.com/BristolAirport/status/1163137601836072961?s=19

PDXCWL45
22nd Aug 2019, 20:35
Qatar Airways for May 2020 are down to operate Doha 6 weekly with no flight on Wednesdays and it goes daily from the last week of May. It was 5 weekly in 2019.
In September and October KLM will upgrade the 09.45 departure to an E190 and as well the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (October only) 06.05 departures will be an E190 meaning on those days CWL will have 2 E190 and 1 E175 departures.
For winter the E190 will operate the 06.05 everyday except Sunday as there isn't one until the end of March.
Some good news for Cardiff.

PDXCWL45
27th Aug 2019, 20:59
CAA Stats July 2019
The airport saw 208,044 passengers use it in July up 8.3% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,645,979 up 7.7% on 2018.
Atms for July was 1839 up 3.1% on 2018. 165 tonnes of freight went through the airport.
Top 10 routes
1. Palma de Mallorca 19,070
2. Malaga 14,935
3. Amsterdam 14,058
4. Alicante 12,211
5. Edinburgh 11,010
6. Doha 10,558
7. Dublin 8776
8. Tenerife South 8516
9. Dalaman 8237
10. Paris CDG 7807

Sharklet_321
28th Aug 2019, 15:53
Doha was up 4% compared to July 2018

PDXCWL45
28th Aug 2019, 16:18
Doha was up 4% compared to July 2018
And Amsterdam is up by 8%. The new TUI routes and extra flights seem to be doing well. And at only 2 weekly Ryanair's Barcelona flight is only 8% less than last years Vueling which was 3 weekly and Malta looks to be doing good as well.

PDXCWL45
28th Aug 2019, 16:26
CAA Stats July 2019
Domestic
Anglesey 1426 -5%
Belfast City 6480 -3%
East Midalnds 47
Edinburgh 11,010 +16%
Glasgow 3164 +21%
Jersey 1657 -24%
Newcastle 513 -58%
Stornoway 58
European
Dubrovnik 1357
Larnaca 3442 -1%
Paphos 3094 +110%
Nice 40
Paris CDG 7807 -4%
Tarbes-Lourdes 108
Munich 1470 -1%
Gibraltar 58
Corfu 3098 +107%
Heraklion 1698 -9%
Keffalinia 1804 -2%
Kos 2392 +95%
Rhodes 5067 +90%
Zakinthos 6380 +32%
Cork 1135 -24%
Dublin 8776 -9%
Bergamo 41
Milan MXP 1419 -48%
Naples 1792
Rome FCO 1461 -13%
Venice 1082 -22%
Verona 1318 +10%
Malta 3128
Amsterdam 14,058 +8%
Faro 6952 -19%
Alicante 12,211 +15%
Barcelona 3275 -8%
Ibiza 4690 -22%
Mahon 4508 +46%
Malaga 14,935 +44%
Palma de Mallorca 19,070 -2%
Reus 3372 +3%
Arrecife 2941 -34%
Las Palmas 1479 +1%
Tenerife South 8516 +17%
Burgas 2885 -41%
International
Antalya 2954 +8%
Dalaman 8237 +11%
Hurghada 1637
Enfidha 3347
Doha 10,558 +4%
Boston 2

RedDragonFlyer
29th Aug 2019, 18:42
For Ryanair the load factors seem relatively decent. Ryanair's average for July was 97%.
BCN has 3064 (211 were on a diverted charter flight - Thanks to the poster below for the information) passengers so had a load factor of 90.0%.
MLA has 3128 passengers so had a load factor of 92.0%.
Impossible to tell for the others as there's competition on those routes.

PDXCWL45
29th Aug 2019, 19:05
For Ryanair the load factors seem relatively decent. Ryanair's average for July was 97%.
BCN has 3275 passengers so had a load factor of 96.2%.
MLA has 3128 passengers so had a load factor of 92.0%.
Impossible to tell for the others as there's competition on those routes.
I'd be surprised if malaga and Faro weren't in the 90s as well but can't be 100% sure and Tenerife is in the 90s if I remember correctly. In the end though it will be the yield that counts!

bycrewlgw
30th Aug 2019, 07:06
I'd be surprised if malaga and Faro weren't in the 90s as well but can't be 100% sure and Tenerife is in the 90s if I remember correctly. In the end though it will be the yield that counts!

TFS would be around the 94% mark. 1420 passengers with capacity of 1512 seats.

caaardiff
30th Aug 2019, 09:13
To summarise collectively:
BCN operates Tue & Sat so would have had 9 flights in July. Seats: 3402 / Passengers 3064 = 90%
(Note there were 211 charter passengers which shouldn't be included. I think these were from a TCX diversion en route back to CWL)
MLA operates Wed & Sun so would have had 9 flights in July. Seats: 3402 / Passengers 3128 = 92%
TFS operates on Thu so would have had 4 flights in July. Seats 1512 / Passengers 1420 = 94%

An average LF for the above 3 routes of 92%

Also Tenerife is no longer on sale in 2020 with last flight on 6th January. The same with Newcastle, the only other route that doesn't have a UK base, last flight 5th January.

Vueling LF's (assuming 180 seats A320's)
ALC operates 6 weekly (Not on Fridays) so would have had 27 flights in July. Seats 9720 / Passengers 8954 = 92%
PMI operates 4 weekly (Mon-Thu) so would have had 19 flights in July. Seats 6840 / Passengers 6108 = 89%

AGP - FR operates 3 weekly (Mon, Wed, Fri) so would have had 14 flights in July. Seats 5292
- VY operated 5 weekly (Mon-Thu & Sat) so would have had 23 flights in July. Seats 8280
Total seats available 13572 / Passengers 11678 - Average LF 86%

PDXCWL45
6th Sep 2019, 18:47
The UK government has refused to devolve Air passenger duty to Wales despite the recommendation of the Welsh Affairs committee in order to protect Bristol airport.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-wales-politics-49599261?__twitter_impression=true

SWBKCB
6th Sep 2019, 19:19
"Evidence presented at the inquiry also made the case that consumers and businesses in parts of Wales, particularly in the north, are currently served by excellent connectivity at English airports. It is not clear how devolution in Wales would support these communities."

So devolution of APD could benefit Cardiff, and not Wales as a whole?

PDXCWL45
6th Sep 2019, 19:50
So devolution of APD could benefit Cardiff, and not Wales as a whole?
It would depend on what routes it would attract. Xity routes that attract inbound tourism would help to increase the profile of the whole country, I saw that for myself when I flew Iberia to Madrid last year. Long haul routes like Doha are the same, the marketing deal advertises Wales as a country not just the capital.
In the end it should be up to the Welsh government to decide how they use it to benefit Wales not London who don't seem to want Wales to benefit in any way.

cymru
6th Sep 2019, 22:16
See you all at the independence march in Merthyr

PDXCWL45
7th Sep 2019, 08:06
Today is the last flight of the Flybe Rome service. Also ending today are Venice and Verona and Munich ended yesterday. Hopefully these routes will return in the future but now KLM will be the only option for these destinations.

fanrailuk
8th Sep 2019, 12:26
I would imagine some of these routes, namely FCO, VCE and VRN, are seasonal and may well return for S20...

Nothing on sale yet for S20 so the end isn't necessarily the end of the end.

Today is the last flight of the Flybe Rome service. Also ending today are Venice and Verona and Munich ended yesterday. Hopefully these routes will return in the future but now KLM will be the only option for these destinations.

PDXCWL45
8th Sep 2019, 12:41
I would imagine some of these routes, namely FCO, VCE and VRN, are seasonal and may well return for S20...

Nothing on sale yet for S20 so the end isn't necessarily the end of the end.
The jets are going so I can't see them operating Rome on a Q400 and it was year round and to be honest I don't think Venice was much of a success. I wouldn't be surprised though if Verona returns for May to September.

BHX5DME
8th Sep 2019, 14:35
The jets are going so I can't see them operating Rome on a Q400 and it was year round and to be honest I don't think Venice was much of a success. I wouldn't be surprised though if Verona returns for May to September.

All the jets will be BHX & MAN based so cannot see any of these routes operating from CWL next year

PDXCWL45
8th Sep 2019, 14:47
All the jets will be BHX & MAN based so cannot see any of these routes operating from CWL next year
They operate Verona from Southampton with the Q400. It's a route that gets a few tour operators on including TUI. The other routes if they come back will be with other airlines no doubt.
I wouldn't be surprised if Verona fills the Saturday slot that Geneva uses on the overnight Q400 during the summer.

Letsflycwl
8th Sep 2019, 16:38
They operate Verona from Southampton with the Q400. It's a route that gets a few tour operators on including TUI. The other routes if they come back will be with other airlines no doubt.
I wouldn't be surprised if Verona fills the Saturday slot that Geneva uses on the overnight Q400 during the summer.

I agree with you here, the VRN seems logical for the Saturday after the GVA ends. It is a route that’s been around for many years initially with the 1-11’s of European and fits in with TUI holidays too as a destination they offer.

Be great if MXP remained or got picked up by another carrier as strong historical links between South Wales and Italy.

PDXCWL45
8th Sep 2019, 19:11
I agree with you here, the VRN seems logical for the Saturday after the GVA ends. It is a route that’s been around for many years initially with the 1-11’s of European and fits in with TUI holidays too as a destination they offer.

Be great if MXP remained or got picked up by another carrier as strong historical links between South Wales and Italy.
I don't think we'll see Milan back as the 2 likeliest contenders for the route would be extreme long shots. Air Italy and Alitalia. I do think Rome returning is more likely with Ryanair maybe in the future.

rog747
9th Sep 2019, 05:43
Inghams, TUI and Citalia Holidays all have big Lakes and Mountains programs using Verona -

SOU BRS and CWL all historically have, or had dedicated charter flights on Neos 737-800 (BRS) BMI (BRS) and Flybe on Q400's using either whole plane series, or taking large allocations on BE schedules.

It is a good route, but seasonal only - May-early Oct.

PDXCWL45
9th Sep 2019, 08:37
New airline in Loganair and Glasgow remains! Fantastic news!
https://twitter.com/SeanM1997/status/1170977699671748608?s=19

Letsflycwl
9th Sep 2019, 15:35
Great to see Loganair taking over the GLA service and also the increase to a daily service too (except Saturday). Nice to see the EM4 back at CWL too !

Lets hope another airline takes over some of the other BE routes ending this summer.

BAladdy
10th Sep 2019, 08:01
Loganair flights to GLA have been released for travel through until the end of August 2020. Flights will operate between 6 and 7 x weekly until the start of the S20 schedule on 29th March when flights will increase to 8 x weekly

27th February to 27th March

LM225 GLA 08:00 CWL 09:15 ER4 6 (14MAR only)
LM227 GLA 18:05 CWL 19:20 ER4 7
LM227 GLA 19:45 CWL 21:00 ER4 x67

LM226 CWL 09:45 GLA 11:00 ER4 6 (14MAR only)
LM228 CWL 19:50 GLA 21:15 ER4 7
LM228 CWL 21:30 GLA 22:45 ER4 x67

From 29th March

LM225 GLA 09:15 CWL 10:30 ER4 7
LM225 GLA 10:30 CWL 11:45 ER4 x567
LM225 GLA 14:10 CWL 15:25 ER4 5
LM227 GLA 19:45 CWL 21:00 ER4 57

LM226 CWL 11:05 GLA 12:20 ER4 7
LM226 CWL 12:15 GLA 13:30 ER4 x567
LM226 CWL 16:00 GLA 17:15 ER4 5
LM228 CWL 21:30 GLA 22:45 ER4 57

PDXCWL45
12th Sep 2019, 10:47
216,000 passengers used Cardiff airport during August and the rolling year was up 7% to 1.662 million passengers.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/09/12/more-passenger-growth-for-cardiff-airport/

GayFriendly
17th Sep 2019, 19:43
Sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm not a regular on this thread!) but I've just been booking a few flights with Wizzair and have noted Cardiff now appears on their destination map from Budapest and Debrecen - but no flights bookable....are they already known about 'specials', new routes or simply a route map error? Just wondering if regulars on here knew amything?

If they are new flights, Brexit hasn't put Wizz off the UK at all, with new routes and increased frequencies also being launched from LTN, BHX, EDI and DSA this winter.

PDXCWL45
17th Sep 2019, 20:10
Sorry if this has been discussed before (I'm not a regular on this thread!) but I've just been booking a few flights with Wizzair and have noted Cardiff now appears on their destination map from Budapest and Debrecen - but no flights bookable....are they already known about 'specials', new routes or simply a route map error? Just wondering if regulars on here knew amything?

If they are new flights, Brexit hasn't put Wizz off the UK at all, with new routes and increased frequencies also being launched from LTN, BHX, EDI and DSA this winter.
They are for the Wales v Hungary game in November I believe. Euro 2020 qualifier.

Letsflycwl
17th Sep 2019, 20:11

The Wizz flights you can see are all connected with the Wales v Hungary football in mid November when there are 3 Wizz flights in total, 2 to BUD and 1 to DEB with I believe A321’s......so there will be 3 day stopping in total.

It would be good if CWL did secure a regular flight or flights with Wizz Air now that they seem to be expanding in the UK, who knows !

GayFriendly
19th Sep 2019, 05:34
Thanks for the replies - shame they are just one offs....hopefully you will see regular Wizz flights in the future.. I never thought they would come to my local (BHX) but they did and now operate 7 routes, no bad considering their fortress hub Luton is just down the M1 so never say never!

PDXCWL45
19th Sep 2019, 22:02
As Flybe are cutting quite a lot of routes at other airports i thought i'd check on Cardiff.
Edinburgh has been increased from 18 weekly to 21 weekly.
The route will be 3 daily on Mondays and Tuesdays, 4 daily on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays the extra flights are on these days. 1 daily on Saturdays and 2 daily on Sundays.
The times for the extra flights are EDI-CWL 11.30-12.55 CWL-EDI 13.25-14.50.
Paris, Dublin, Cork, Belfast and Jersey are unchanged.

Letsflycwl
19th Sep 2019, 22:40
Does anyone know when the Ryanair flights to/from Malta go across to the new Ryanair owned Malta Air ? Would we be expecting anything new from Ryanair for 2020 ?

I’m guessing BCN & AGP will be back and hopefully FAO too with that new deal. Just hope TFS remains in some shape and form with Ryanair.

Would be nice to see them further increase their offerings in the coming months especially for Summer 2020

BACsuperVC10
19th Sep 2019, 22:51

LPL has seen increases from Wizz too.

PDXCWL45
20th Sep 2019, 08:58
Does anyone know when the Ryanair flights to/from Malta go across to the new Ryanair owned Malta Air ? Would we be expecting anything new from Ryanair for 2020 ?

I’m guessing BCN & AGP will be back and hopefully FAO too with that new deal. Just hope TFS remains in some shape and form with Ryanair.

Would be nice to see them further increase their offerings in the coming months especially for Summer 2020
Hopefully Cardiff won't see any flight reductions! I'd love to see them takeover Rome!

PDXCWL45
20th Sep 2019, 13:12
Cardiff Airport unveils its Environmental Flight Pathhttps://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/09/20/cardiff-airport-unveils-its-environmental-flight-path/

PDXCWL45
23rd Sep 2019, 10:27
For % share of departing seats Cardiff Airport is the highest in the country. 86,000 departing seats will be lost.
https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1176053230486335489

PDXCWL45
23rd Sep 2019, 10:41
Greenwash in the extreme.

The effects of removing plastic straws and introducing LED lighting are close to zero compared to the emissions from the aircraft using the airfield. The only sensible aviation policy right now it LESS aviation, and I don't see Cardiff Airport promoting that.
Well as it's an airport why would it but by the sounds of it you'll be happy to know that Cardiff now has 28 less weekly flights.

PDXCWL45
23rd Sep 2019, 12:27
Actually with the Welsh government as a significant stakeholder I think it is time to make fewer flights a national objective
Oh definitely a national objective of less Welsh people flying from England

Midland Alpha9
24th Sep 2019, 14:42
Oh definitely a national objective of less Welsh people flying from England
Yes let's have less cars travelling up and down the M4 through the Brynglas tunnel now the wonderful Welsh government has cancelled the proposed expansion ! Wales needs a vibrant Cardiff Airport to give greater choice and competition to the consumer.

PDXCWL45
24th Sep 2019, 14:52
Yes let's have less cars travelling up and down the M4 through the Brynglas tunnel now the wonderful Welsh government has cancelled the proposed expansion ! Wales needs a vibrant Cardiff Airport to give greater choice and competition to the consumer.
M4 expansion won't effect Cardiff airport. Lack of flights and airlines will and APD not being devolved will but not the M4 expansion. If any road should be built its a direct airport link to the M4.

Letsflycwl
24th Sep 2019, 17:54
With the sad loss of Thomas Cook this is just going to leave TUI as the main and only holiday left at CWL.

Not just at CWL but at other regional airport surely there must be a void that needs filling. I wonder if we will see some new flights with Ryanair or dare I say (and hope) Jet2. There are also a lot of comments (or rumours) about Wizz Air UK doing new flights to previous Thomas Cook destinations such as the Canary Islands.....

No doubt the excellent Thomas Cook crew could do with some happy news about possible opportunities 💛

PDXCWL45
24th Sep 2019, 18:24
With the sad loss of Thomas Cook this is just going to leave TUI as the main and only holiday left at CWL.

Not just at CWL but at other regional airport surely there must be a void that needs filling. I wonder if we will see some new flights with Ryanair or dare I say (and hope) Jet2. There are also a lot of comments (or rumours) about Wizz Air UK doing new flights to previous Thomas Cook destinations such as the Canary Islands.....

No doubt the excellent Thomas Cook crew could do with some happy news about possible opportunities 💛
I could see Ryanair launching PMI if that isn't already planned and Vueling reinstating a weekly flight.
With TUI I could maybe see them adding extra flights to Dalaman and Antalya maybe using Freebird and maybe Tenerife with Norwegian if that could be possible and maybe Rhodes with one of the based aircraft and possibly add an extra PMI. It would fantastic if one of our flights, maybe PMI got upgraded to a Dreamliner but thats just me dreaming as part of a W pattern with Bristol.
Also if capacity to the Eastern Mediterranean is less that could also make Spain more attractive boosting routes like Malaga where we have 2 airlines.
Hopefully Ryanair and Flybe will release their Summer 2020 schedules soon so we know what capacity Cardiff will have.

As for Jet2 I could see them taking the Air Tanker A330s for Manchester and Stansted to free up 737s for elsewhere but not for a new base and I'd have thought that they'd go to Bristol first but not for a while yet.

Midland Alpha9
26th Sep 2019, 11:07
M4 expansion won't effect Cardiff airport. Lack of flights and airlines will and APD not being devolved will but not the M4 expansion. If any road should be built its a direct airport link to the M4.
I think you missed my point which is more choice and flights from CWL will hopefully mean less car journey's to and from BRS

PDXCWL45
27th Sep 2019, 13:41
Roger Lewis will stay on as Chairman of Cardiff airport until the end of May 2020 as his successor can't start until June 2020. His successor hasn't been announced.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/09/27/roger-lewis-to-extend-tenure-as-chairman/

fanrailuk
27th Sep 2019, 18:54
Ryanair’s Summer 2020 offering from CWL is currently being loaded onto their booking systems (up until the end of July).

It’s much the same as this year, just without TFS

2 x weekly BCN
2 x weekly MLA
3 x weekly AGP (from June)
2 x weekly FAO

Letsflycwl
27th Sep 2019, 19:31
Didn’t Ryanair announce BCN, MLA & AGP quite late for this season ? With that in mind we could see something else added for Summer 2020....shame about the TFS loss, also with MT going there’s a big drop in capacity to the Canary Islands.

PDXCWL45
27th Sep 2019, 19:37
Ryanair’s Summer 2020 offering from CWL is currently being loaded onto their booking systems (up until the end of July).

It’s much the same as this year, just without TFS

2 x weekly BCN
2 x weekly MLA
3 x weekly AGP (from June)
2 x weekly FAO
nothing onsale yet but good to know its unchanged apart from Tenerife!

PDXCWL45
27th Sep 2019, 19:38
Didn’t Ryanair announce BCN, MLA & AGP quite late for this season ? With that in mind we could see something else added for Summer 2020....shame about the TFS loss, also with MT going there’s a big drop in capacity to the Canary Islands.
Barcelona and malaga were, Malta was announced about now.

bycrewlgw
27th Sep 2019, 22:52
Barcelona and malaga were, Malta was announced about now.

Do VY have bases in the canaries? Could we see some additional flights to TFS / ACE with them?

PDXCWL45
28th Sep 2019, 03:28
Do VY have bases in the canaries? Could we see some additional flights to TFS / ACE with them?
I think they have a base in Tenerife but I believe it's Tenerife north not South. It's anyone's guess whether they would be interested in launching Cardiff.

CabinCrewe
28th Sep 2019, 07:12
. It's anyone's guess whether they would be interested in launching Cardiff.
Its not a guess, its a no. Brits want Las Americas et al to Reina Sofia.

PDXCWL45
2nd Oct 2019, 19:50
CAA Stats for August 2019
216,530 passengers used the airport up 7% on 2018. The rolling year was 1,660,104 up 7.2%. Atms were 1812 up 1%
Top 10 routes for August 2019
1. Palma de Mallorca 20,830
2. Malaga 14,551
3. Amsterdam 13,651
4. Alicante 12,256
5. Doha 11,714
6. Edinburgh 11,451
7. Dublin 9978
8. Dalaman 9146
9. Tenerife South 8933
10. Paris CDG 7720

CabinCrewe
2nd Oct 2019, 19:58
DOH creeping up, who would have thought more were travelling from CWL to DOH than CWL to TFS or DUB !
August always a little artificial though as representation of year round loads.

PDXCWL45
3rd Oct 2019, 05:59
DOH creeping up, who would have thought more were travelling from CWL to DOH than CWL to TFS or DUB !
August always a little artificial though as representation of year round loads.
It is nice to see Doha that high! With the rugby world cup on it'll be interesting to see how much Qatar and KLM benefit from it in September and October.
Hopefully as well it won't take too long for the airport to get back to the current numbers once the loss of Thomas Cook kicks in and the Flybe reduction.

Letsflycwl
10th Oct 2019, 15:58
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/346122/tui-hikes-ex-uk-capacity-by-two-million-seats

Could this lead to anything extra from CWL ? Although not specifically mentioned it does state UK Regional Airports especially with the demise of Thomas Cook

PDXCWL45
10th Oct 2019, 16:03
http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/346122/tui-hikes-ex-uk-capacity-by-two-million-seats

Could this lead to anything extra from CWL ? Although not specifically mentioned it does state UK Regional Airports especially with the demise of Thomas Cook
Fingers crossed as they are probably Cardiffs only real hope of replacing the lost capacity!

Letsflycwl
10th Oct 2019, 16:43
That’s what I was thinking and they will be the main operator too with very little competition unlike other U.K. airports.

CWL certainly need to do something to compensate the amount of passengers being lost with the demise of Thomas Cook. I would have thought Ryanair would have added extra capacity for Summer 2020 to some of the “sun” routes......

With no more Thomas Cook and the reduction of Flybe destinations that’s a big amount of passengers lost.

marko1
10th Oct 2019, 17:33
That’s what I was thinking and they will be the main operator too with very little competition unlike other U.K. airports.

CWL certainly need to do something to compensate the amount of passengers being lost with the demise of Thomas Cook. I would have thought Ryanair would have added extra capacity for Summer 2020 to some of the “sun” routes......

With no more Thomas Cook and the reduction of Flybe destinations that’s a big amount of passengers lost.

the press release only mentions northern airports with no indication of extra flights south of Birmingham. Maybe to follow ?

caaardiff
10th Oct 2019, 17:46
The issue for CWL is that TCX were only a summer operation. That would likely rule out any Airline opening a base as there would be better options throughout the country in replacing TCX. It is however an opportunity for the like of VY or FR that could open or grow routes from other Airports. Unfortunately there aren't many options for CWL like there are at other Airports.
TUI however have stated specific Airports in their press release, although I think this is just media spin and spreads to more Airports than just those mentioned. DSA is mentioned that wasn't a TCX base, but is a current TUI base competing with LBA, MAN and EMA. I wouldn't write off TUI expansion at CWL just yet.

PDXCWL45
10th Oct 2019, 23:10

It does depend on what happens at other airports. Unfortunately to most airlines Cardiff isn't important and there's a strong possibility that the lost Thomas Cook passengers will never be regained. There isn't many airlines left now let alone ones interested in Cardiff.

PDXCWL45
14th Oct 2019, 08:03
From 10th November to 25th March 2020 Cardiff airports Malta route will be operated by Ryanair's Malta Air subsidiary.
Anyone know if Malta Air will have it's own livery or just be Ryanair aircraft?

fanrailuk
14th Oct 2019, 10:04
From 10th November to 25th March 2020 Cardiff airports Malta route will be operated by Ryanair's Malta Air subsidiary.
Anyone know if Malta Air will have it's own livery or just be Ryanair aircraft?

This link should help you;

https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/06/11/ryanair-establishes-malta-air/

PDXCWL45
15th Oct 2019, 10:38
It's probable for Summer 2020 Cardiff Airport will see the return of away based carriers operating on behalf of TUI.
Monday's Mallorca and Thursday's Antalya now have away based times and marked Other Carrier.
This will leave gaps on based aircraft to be filled on those days.

Letsflycwl
15th Oct 2019, 16:00
Now that Flybe are being rebranded as Virgin Connect, what is going to happen with Eastern Airways and their franchise ?

Are they going to be a Virgin Connect franchisee ? Will we see the little J41 operating both VLY & NCL in the Virgin logo ?

PDXCWL45
15th Oct 2019, 20:32
Now that Flybe are being rebranded as Virgin Connect, what is going to happen with Eastern Airways and their franchise ?

Are they going to be a Virgin Connect franchisee ? Will we see the little J41 operating both VLY & NCL in the Virgin logo ?
unknown at the moment!

PDXCWL45
15th Oct 2019, 20:34
Caerdav have signed a memorandum of understanding to setup a major new aviation centre including a centre of excellence and a painting hangar at the Bro Tathan business park (former MOD St Athan)
https://ukaviation.news/major-new-aviation-centre-to-open-in-south-wales/

fanrailuk
21st Oct 2019, 13:16
Cardiff Airport to be loaned more taxpayers' cash (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-50127123)

CabinCrewe
21st Oct 2019, 14:43
its almost as bad as the PIK debacle

SWBKCB
21st Oct 2019, 14:47
"The airport needs to be sold back to the private sector where proper investment can be made"

cos that worked so well last time...

PDXCWL45
21st Oct 2019, 15:28
its almost as bad as the PIK debacle
He said the airport has "agreed to provide an extended commercial loan facility to the airport of up to £21.2m to help support its ambitious plans for the future. The airport will repay the loan in full, with interest, under a planned repayment schedule".

The loan would deliver the airport's proposals for "significant further investment" in their facilities over the next six years, Mr Skates said.

Will be interesting to see what it'll be for!

Letsflycwl
21st Oct 2019, 18:11
What’s the likelihood of Lauda Air picking up PMI from CWL ? It’s reported on the BOH page that they are announcing new UK PMI routes tomorrow or Wednesday?

PDXCWL45
21st Oct 2019, 18:20
What’s the likelihood of Lauda Air picking up PMI from CWL ? It’s reported on the BOH page that they are announcing new UK PMI routes tomorrow or Wednesday?
I'd say that Cardiff has a good a chance as any! Fingers crossed!

Letsflycwl
21st Oct 2019, 18:24
That’s what I heard, especially with the loss of Thomas Cook and being PMI is so popular, let’s hope it’s true as be good for CWL.

Apparently Lauda Air are announcing tomorrow (Tuesday)

PDXCWL45
21st Oct 2019, 21:29
But looks like TUI have filled some of the gaps.
The gap on Thursday has been filled by an extra Gran Canaria.
The gap on Monday by a 3rd Tenerife.
Antalya is now 2 weekly with the addition of a non based Sunday flight.
Dalaman goes to 3 weekly with the addition of a non based Tuesday flight.
These will lead to 47 weekly departures for Summer 2020 a 2 weekly increase on Summer 2019. Hopefully a few more flights will be added as it would be nice to get to 50 weekly departures.
43 weekly departures will be on the 3 based aircraft and 4 will be on non based aircraft.

PDXCWL45
26th Oct 2019, 13:06
Sadly today is the last day of Flybe Embraer E jet operations and the base at Cardiff Airport 😞😥
All flights from tomorrow will be on non based Q400s.
TUI will be the only based airline from tomorrow.

PDXCWL45
4th Nov 2019, 12:05
Aberdeen is back with Eastern Airways.
https://www.cardiff-airport.com/news/2019/11/04/airline-announces-return-of-wales-link-to-aberdeen-1/

Letsflycwl
4th Nov 2019, 20:37
Hope to god we will see something else for CWL over the next few weeks/months.....the reintroduction of a daily ABZ via NCL is good but I really would have though FR would have added something new for 2020.