PDA

View Full Version : LUTON History and Nostalgia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

LTNman
26th Sep 2015, 19:38
A trip down memory lane some 25 years ago. I sometimes forget how much the airport has changed and I note that the old departure lounge had more seating that its replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INohU3u6-iI

DaveReidUK
26th Sep 2015, 20:53
I note that the old departure lounge had more seating than its replacement.

Passengers need to be walking around the shops, spending money, not sitting on their bottoms. :O

Buster the Bear
5th Oct 2015, 16:24
Partnair Convair would have been 1988-89. After a fatal crash (not thier fault) during 1989, they soon went out of business sadly.

ZeBedie
6th Oct 2015, 19:27
As a teenager I could not get this Monarch Crew trainer lined up through a small gap in the fence but I share this "half" a photo with you all today as this is the only photo on the net I have seen of this aircraft in its final role. Anyone know its reg?

Later on, there was a Britannia fuselage out on the airfield, in the possession of the airport fire service. I can remember using it for crew fire & smoke training.

Is this the same one?

It seems to have some sort of hook up through a window. Anyone care to speculate why?

Maybe a pipe for synthetic smoke? (or in those days, real smoke :) )

LTNman
6th Oct 2015, 19:45
The old Britannia used for fire training is still at the airport and can be seen on Google map and Bing. It used to belong to Redcoat before ending up on the training ground. After being dragged into the long grass on a small hill it was abandoned.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/redcoat_zpsn5ikkshg.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/redcoat_zpsn5ikkshg.jpg.html)
Bing Maps

cj241101
6th Oct 2015, 19:57
see my post 771 for a bit more info on this aircraft

boeing_eng
7th Oct 2015, 21:41
LN-BWG was August 1988 (according to the site where the original pic is hosted!)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cooke1/16187987185

My pic of this has already been posted some months ago....message #893

LTNman
8th Oct 2015, 05:09
Thanks Boeing_eng. I have corrected the photos credit from unknown source.

LTNman
10th Nov 2015, 09:26
Luton's transformation started 20 years ago today but the vision didn't come initially from anyone at the airport that for years was going nowhere but from a Greek citizen who started an airline.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/12240956_903690766351379_5959386866831439615_o_zps74hreya2.j pg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/12240956_903690766351379_5959386866831439615_o_zps74hreya2.j pg.html)

l.garey
10th Nov 2015, 11:12
That brings back some memories. I have been a faithful customer of easyJet since my first flight with them as EZY902 on 6.11.1996 in borrowed BAC 111 G-AVMH from Luton to Edinburgh. The return flight was memorable (737 G-EZYB) as the captain let me sit at the sharp end for the whole flight. Those were the days.

Laurence

LTNman
10th Nov 2015, 14:49
What is sad is that I can remember the first day of operations. I watched a man meeting members of his family as though he hadn't seen them for 20 years and all for the price of a pair of jeans.

Level bust
10th Nov 2015, 17:48
I can to!

Initially the 2 x 737s were flown by Air Foyle pilots.

LTNman
10th Nov 2015, 18:38
Were they a couple of ex-Britannia Airways aircraft? Seem to remember that some of the plates screwed to the aircraft had Britannia Airways on them.

compton3bravo
10th Nov 2015, 18:45
I thought the two B737s came from GB Airways even though they operated on Air Foyle´s AOC with GB Airways flight deck crew but maybe I´m wrong - again! The chap on the far right on the front row (crouched) was one of the Captains. Brings back happy memories being allowed on the jump seat a number of times - happy memories.

Level bust
10th Nov 2015, 21:12
You're right, except the pilots were employed by Air Foyle, certainly the crew I flew with were. Britannia had the 737s until 1994. GB had them until 96, before going to EZY/Air Foyle in 96.

I can't remember But I should imagine EZY got their AOC when they got their first 737-300.

squeaker
10th Nov 2015, 21:30
G-BECG & CH, ex Britannia B737-200s.

Wageslave
10th Nov 2015, 21:46
LTMman, what is sad is the Contrast that with today when that man is quite likely to have paid at the level of a bespoke suit for his flight, each way.

compton3bravo
11th Nov 2015, 06:30
Nope Wageslave, still plenty of ´´cheap´´ fares around, if you plan carefully. Recently flew Gib-Luton and return for just over 100 pounds all in (with Monarch) and did not book months in advance - five weeks to be exact; one sector was actually in half-term which I usually avoid like the plague. I don´t think I could get a bespoke suit for that in the UK maybe Hong Kong or Vietnam!

jumpseater
11th Nov 2015, 07:52
I can't remember But I should imagine EZY got their AOC when they got their first 737-300.

The first two were operated by GB airways until Foyle took over, that was a short time of about six months, cant recall the exact details. Air Foyle then got the contract and ran the -200/300's and the 'Topswiss' aircraft operated by TEA, which became part of the easy family of airlines operated within the Easy AOC, though Swiss registered. eJ got their AOC (Oct97) after the arrival of the -300's. YA (ex Monarch, LTN turning circle brick carrier?) arrived spring/summer 96 and I think were up to either 6 or 8 aircraft by the time they got the AOC. A good number of the Foyle ops crewing guys were recruited by easy when the AOC was awarded. YF the infamous tech/hangar queen, was one of the aircraft operated by Air Foyle. The -300's were an eclectic mix to start with, clockwork and digital cockpits and different galley layouts, making allocating crews to them a bit challenging and sometimes meaning that catering couldn't be carried if the right tart carts weren't available!

oxenos
11th Nov 2015, 10:13
To clarify a few details.
Over the winter of 93-94, Britannia got rid of their remaining 737-200s, replacing them with a smaller number of 757s - hence needing fewer pilots. About 100 pilots left on a redundancy deal, I think all voluntarily.(Me included)
G-BECG and H were taken on a 4 year lease by IAG (Not THAT IAG, this was a company whose core business was seat broking. They considered that they could find enough work to justify taking on the aircraft) The aircraft were placed on G.B.'s AOC and G.B. recruited extra pilots, many of them ex Britannia. (Me included).
The extra pilots did not just operate the two "Charlies", but all pilots operated on both the work that IAG found for them and on G.B.'s regular routes, using BA type aircraft.
In November 95 Easyjet started with the two Charlies on lease. G.B. provide the pilots and one cabin crew, EJ provided the remaining cabin crew. This meant a lot of travelling between Gatwick, G.B.'s base,and Luton, and putting crews into hotels at Luton. This was not too popular (except with me. I lived nearer Luton than Gatwick, drove straight to work, and went home every night)
In July 96, the aircraft were switched to Air Foyle's AOC. ( I suspect the cost of transport and hotac were part of the reason). A few pilots transferred with the aircraft (Me included), the rest stayed with G.B., which was by then a B.A. franchise, expanding, and switching to -400s. IAG/AIR Foyle recruited pilots, to make up the numbers, most of them ex Britannia.
Once it was clear that EJ was going to work, they started to get their own aircraft and recruit their own pilots. Initially, these were on Air Foyle's AOC as well, but while they were employed by EJ, we were still employed by IAG. There was little contact, as we were operating 200s and they had 300s, so the operations were run seperately
At the end of April, our contract with EJ ended ( I operated the last flight, EDI-LTN) and we then worked for Virgin Express for 6 months, based at Heathrow.
When that finished, IAG's lease on the aircraft expired, and we all had to look for jobs.
Surprise, surprise, within a month I was once again based at Luton, once again flying ex Britannia 732s, this time for Ryanair.

LTNman
11th Nov 2015, 13:51
Over the winter of 93-94, Britannia got rid of their remaining 737-200s

I guess that was when Britannia pulled the plug on its scheduled service to Belfast from Luton. Can't remember them doing any other scheduled services.

oxenos
11th Nov 2015, 14:10
" Britannia pulled the plug on its scheduled service to Belfast from Luton."

I always thought Britannia missed a great opportunity there. I operated several of those BFS-LTN schedules, they were cheap and they were always full.
If Brit had kept the newest of the 732s (which went for silly money), kept on the pilots, (who they paid to go away) they would have had the wherewithal to extend the scheduled service network. Ryanair and Easyjet might never have happened.
Not that I'm complaining - I and quite a few others did very well out of the way things happened.

LTNman
12th Nov 2015, 04:38
Whatever happened to Britannia Airways flying club? They had a small fleet of light aircraft that were dressed up in Britannia's logos and were kept in their hangar 89.

boeing_eng
12th Nov 2015, 08:31
The BAL flying club aircraft were "pushed out" by the airport shortly after EZY moved into H89..a lack of space was the given reason.

The aircraft moved to Cranfield and the club carried on there for a few years. After the merger with First Choice, the company withdrew any subsidies and the club became a private concern (Azure Flying Club) 1965 vintage PA28 G-ATHR is still with them but Mooney G-OBAL was sold a few years back..

Ref, the BAL BFS schedules....these were simply a way of increasing aircraft utilization at the time (usually the flights operated around the MOD Germany charters) This was never Thomson's core market.

oxenos
12th Nov 2015, 10:35
"This was never Thomson's core market."

I realise that. My point was that given the success of the BFS schedule they might have foreseen the growing demand for cheap scheduled flights. They had the makings to hand and could have diversified to meet the demand.

boeing_eng
12th Nov 2015, 12:39
The BAL 737-200 fleet was becoming extremely maintenance intensive (which was the primary reason for their withdrawal) Also, the full deregulation of European skies didn't happen until 1997. By then, BAL was only flying 757's on European services and had tailored the fleet around the requirements of Thomson holidays. EZY were always positioned to make more of a success of low cost scheduled flying in Europe having been set-up with a suitable cost structure from day one.

Falcon666
14th Nov 2015, 22:02
Talking of a missed opportunity, didn't Richard Branson and Virgin start fights to Ireland, think it was a viscount in the days but my memory isn't that good now.
Does anybody remember when this operated and why it stopped?

boeing_eng
15th Nov 2015, 09:05
The Viscount service to Dublin started in 1987 and the 727's (operated by Club Air) operated during 1988....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/antonov22/8552323272

Wageslave
15th Nov 2015, 12:12
think it was a viscount in the days but my memory isn't that good now.
Does anybody remember when this operated and why it stopped?

Simples.

When? Sunrise -30 to Sunset +30

Why? Guess they didn't have a night rating. (it's just the sort of important little detail that RB often misses when he comes up with his cunning plans, very few of which have actually worked)

I'll get my coat...

Geordie_Expat
15th Nov 2015, 14:57
"he comes up with his cunning plans, very few of which have actually worked"

Really ?? I wish I was as unsuccessful. Why do so many people slag off Branson ??

Plane Speaker
17th Nov 2015, 08:53
RB did front Virgin CityJet from LCY to Dublin. I don't believe they ever operated from LTN though.

LTNman
17th Nov 2015, 17:30
Think they just flew as Virgin from Luton rather than Virgin Atlantic. Seem to remember that Richard Branson was at Luton for the first Viscount flight

WHBM
17th Nov 2015, 19:06
The BAL 737-200 fleet was becoming extremely maintenance intensive (which was the primary reason for their withdrawal)...
Which were then all sold on to Ryanair who didn't seem to have any difficulty with the costs or reliability of running them for on high-utilisation 10-sectors a day type operations that the aircraft had never seen before in its life (far more so than Britannia's two round trips to the Med a day and leisurely turnrounds). The last Britannia 737-200 of all, for example, carried on for 10 years afterwards with Ryanair.

oxenos
17th Nov 2015, 20:45
You beat me to it,WHBM.
I flew EI-CJG on 6 sectors on 21 OCT 05, which was right at the end of its working life with Ryanair.
First flew it in Sept 1981, as G-BGYK, when it was with Britannia, and very new.
I last flew it in Britannia in Jan 94, and it went to Ryanair shortly afterwards.

boeing_eng
18th Nov 2015, 06:31
Which were then all sold on to Ryanair who didn't seem to have any difficulty with the costs or reliability of running them for on high-utilisation 10-sectors a day type operations that the aircraft had never seen before in its life (far more so than Britannia's two round trips to the Med a day and leisurely turnrounds). The last Britannia 737-200 of all, for example, carried on for 10 years afterwards with Ryanair.

Well, what do I know??!...ah yes!....I worked on them for many years:ugh: Following, the Aloha incident, the Boeing ageing fleet program was introduced. Some of the earlier aircraft in the fleet were basically re-built with multiple skin changes and other major structural work during increasingly prolonged maintenance checks.

The decision by Thomson/BAL to withdraw the 737-200 released some very well maintained aircraft onto the second hand market and I'm sure RYR didn't object to the high standards of BAL maintenance! In fact, its a testament to how long the aircraft continued to operate as you kindly illustrate!

I can also assure you that for many years in the peak season the BAL 737-200's were doing more than two round trips to Med destinations per day with night-flying common!

Wageslave
18th Nov 2015, 12:58
How is it possible to so thoroughly misread or misunderstand such a simple post?

Why do so many people slag off Branson ??
Has anyone slagged off Branson here? I certainly didn't, merely made a neutrally worded factual observation.

I wish I was as unsuccessful.
Do you really think Branson is unsuccessful? How odd, most people think he's one of UK's most spectacular businessmen. But then you only need one or two successes amongst dozens of failures to be successful overall. All that shows is that he doesn't have the infallible midas touch that many people assign to him.

LTNman
18th Nov 2015, 13:45
Just a little reminder that this thread that I started should be a pleasant place to visit and to reminisce, tell stories and ask questions and nothing else.

Over 1000 posts have followed this formula so lets get back on track.:)

ATNotts
18th Nov 2015, 15:15
Just a little reminder that this thread that I started should be a pleasant place to visit and to reminisce, tell stories and ask questions and nothing else.

Over 1000 posts have followed this formula so lets get back on track.:)

Absolutely - this is the thread I look forward to seeing updates on, more than any other in AH&N!

I would really like to see similar threads started, and be supported so well for other UK airports, such BHX, EMA, LPL, NCL, GLA (Abbotsinch and Renfrew) etc. etc. Sadly my log books from the "good old days" disappeared when I moved away from my parents many years ago so I'm not best placed to contribute that much.

OUAQUKGF Ops
18th Nov 2015, 16:17
Hear Hear!

LTNman
18th Nov 2015, 17:24
Looks like the north west corner is under construction in this 1968 fuzzy photo. The old McAlpine hanger on the bottom right has only just been knocked down.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/22d84434-c433-4e57-81c9-e82bb64209ba_zpshcapgabc.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/22d84434-c433-4e57-81c9-e82bb64209ba_zpshcapgabc.jpg.html)
photographer unknown

Constructor
18th Nov 2015, 19:33
This is my first post so please excuse any errors in procedure but after reading pprune for several years, in particular Luton items, this photograph is of real interest. Aviation, especially at Luton is one of my pastimes? I have lived in Luton since 1954. My profession is a Civil Engineer. My second job as a junior setting out engineer was on that apron. We went on to construct the apron in front of the McAlpine hanger. I will delve into the memory banks re these two aprons. The hanger adjacent to the apron in the photograph was Autair? I think the first of the Britannia 737 s arrived about then. Did wonders for our production that day. I returned some 30 years later to carry out the earthworks on the taxiway underpass and after that the excavations and drainage for the new terminal apron and taxiway extensions. Now a pensioner the current development from construction and aviation viewpoints is of interest. If there are any items of construction at Luton, from past or present, anyone would like an opinion on please ask. I may be able to assist. Constructor

LTNman
19th Nov 2015, 04:35
Welcome Constructor This thread was created for people just like you so I am glad that you have finally posted here.

Just for you seeing that you will have a love of mud is a photo I took by the Ibis of the new approach road as it heads for the under construction tunnel. Taken in I guess 1998.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/IMG_0003_zpszlkhbu9i.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/IMG_0003_zpszlkhbu9i.jpg.html)

and of the Eastern Apron and new terminal under construction. Photo shows the terminal extension to the old terminal which later became the link building to the new terminal. A few years later the Northern Apron was built and then taxiway Echo linking the Main and Northern Apron.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/Copy%20of%20Photo0003_zpsrczac7wf.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/Copy%20of%20Photo0003_zpsrczac7wf.jpg.html)
unknown photographer

boeing_eng
21st Nov 2015, 09:21
A very interesting article giving more detail about the 707 which paint-stripped a few of Vauxhall's finest in 1978!........

Full article at:

Best of Airways Magazine - Good Jets Gone Bad (http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2015/01/28/best-of-airways-magazine-good-jets-gone-bad/)

Pan Am started phasing out its non-turbofan 707s in 1970 when the value of the aircraft would have been around $1.5 million (equivalent to $8.7 million today). Many were sold in the United Kingdom, Turkey, the Philippines, Yugoslavia, and of course the USA. Ten years later one could be acquired for less than $500,000 (now $1.4 million).

One such aircraft was Pan Am’s former Jet Clipper Aurora, 707-300 N725PA. It saw service with THY-Turkish Airlines, followed by a two-year stint with UK-based leasing company Tempair (Templewood Aviation). When the latter firm was liquidated at the end of 1976, the 707 was parked at Ostend, Belgium.

In December 1977 Lieutenant General Maurice F. Casey, trading as Burbank International, acquired the aircraft. At one stage during payment negotiations in Miami, a gun appeared on the table and the buyers tried to pay with Australian black opals. On February 17, 1978, wearing its new registration N725CA, the airplane was ferried from Ostend to Luton, England, for checks. Casey’s intention was to operate livestock flights between Miami and Venezuela, which was always going to be problematic because the aircraft was not equipped with a main cabin cargo door.

A special certificate was issued to ferry the aircraft from Luton to Miami via Gander, and the flight took place on March 8. Freelance navigator Dave Welch (Airways, January 2012, May 2011, July 2003, May 2002 & June 2001), who was on the flight, described the 707 as “a flying heap of sh*t.” Before its departure on March 8, N725CA carried out a test flight from Luton, during which a hydraulic cable broke loose, dumping a load of fluid over new cars parked at the nearby Vauxhall plant. This prompted the national press to refer to the aircraft as ‘The Luton Carwash Bomber’.

Welch adds: “We just managed to get the 707 airborne [on March 8] before a bailiff arrived at Monarch Engineering’s operations intending to slap a writ on it for all the damage. Vauxhall made a million pounds [£4.5 million/$6.8 million] insurance claim against Templewood, plus a large number of the population of Luton claimed that their cars were ruined too. On the way to Gander it developed the worst Dutch roll I ever experienced—twice at least. One problem was that one of the outer engines wasn’t giving full power.”

The aircraft never moved from Miami, although more than $73,000 (worth $220,000 today) of repair work, mainly to wing corrosion, was carried out during most of 1979. Three liens were placed on the 707 between March 1979 and October 1981, and at one stage it came close to being sold to a company in Wyoming. Finally the aircraft was bought by General Air Services in 1981, and broken up at Miami between September 1983 and January 1984"

LTNman
23rd Nov 2015, 15:11
Debate taking place on the Luton forum of Airlines, Airports & Routes whether a new dedicated link to the station, which is now under review, would go over or under taxiway Alpha.

A dedicated link was first mentioned in the early 90's

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/Photo_zpsekpnxa52.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/Photo_zpsekpnxa52.jpg.html)

This was the road tunnel going in around 1998.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/IMG_0027_zps2efdgwp1.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/IMG_0027_zps2efdgwp1.jpg.html)

vintage ATCO
23rd Nov 2015, 16:40
It's what the spare side in the tunnel was for.

wallp
23rd Nov 2015, 17:23
Given the recent positive commentary about a link finally happening, perhaps this original plan will come to fruition after all?

LTNman
26th Nov 2015, 20:49
Happy memories of Autair's 1-11's

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/10926360_677460052380992_6855887822861514587_n_zpsr5sd09y7.j pg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/10926360_677460052380992_6855887822861514587_n_zpsr5sd09y7.j pg.html)
photographer unknown

Constructor
27th Nov 2015, 15:25
Thank you for the welcome and acknowledgement of our life with mud. The other half of our year we live with dust as was the problem in your picture of the new Airport Way. That picture reminded me that just behind where you were standing with your camera we created 3 large plateaus by digging a lump of the top of the hill and infilling the valley and the remnants of Spitalsea Lane. A large shed was built on the lower plateau but I do not know what happened to the middle and upper tiers. Very useful storage areas and very local to the Airport.
As to all the speculation regarding a) a tunnel under the airport to develop a business park and b) a rail link of sorts, two words, twice. Dream on and Bendy Buses.
I have read your weekly bulletins on the development works with interest I will make a few comments in the right section

LTNman
27th Nov 2015, 16:28
Those plateaus are still there and remain untouched and unused. Also next to nothing grows on them after all these years as they seem to be pure chalk.

Constructor
27th Nov 2015, 19:46
From my memory of Luton that hill of chalk was formed when Vauxhall extended their works, late 1950s?. The top plateau is chalk. The middle plateau has an impermeable membrane and crushed concrete (recycled material) over it.
Going back to the 1968 time when the apron next to Autair was built a lagoon on the chalk hill was used to store nasty liquids in. The lagoon burst and the 'liquid' flowed down the hill into Spitalsea Lane and down onto Kimpton Road /Vauxhall Way junction. When the thousands of gallons of nasty sludge had been sucked up the road had disappeared. The junction was closed for several days.

YVRLTN
29th Nov 2015, 04:12
BTNT was another PA28 with the club, seems that is also still with Azure. I also remember laterally a TB20, think it was OTUI which is still current but moved on.

cj241101
1st Dec 2015, 19:42
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/Britannia20FC20Luton20090692_zpsiilenvnz.jpg?t=1448915859

A line up of the 3 Luton based BFC aircraft taken on 9/6/92. The TB-20 G-OTUI was, I believe, privately owned by a Thomson employee not the flying club.

LTNman
1st Dec 2015, 20:14
Now who did that Jetstream belong to?

philbky
1st Dec 2015, 20:58
The Jetstream is a BAe demonstrator

dixi188
1st Dec 2015, 21:12
I think the Jetstream is a 200 srs with Astazou engines and 3 bladed props, so it could be G-GLOS or G-BBYM both of which we refurbished for BAe at Glos Air, Hurn in the mid 1980s.

DaveReidUK
1st Dec 2015, 22:49
The TB-20 G-OTUI was, I believe, privately owned by a Thomson employee not the flying club.

Isn't that Caravan II OO-TIZ in the background?

LTNman
2nd Dec 2015, 08:05
Registration Number: OO-TIZ
Current Status: De-registered
Delivery Date: 1987-05-18
Registration Cancel Date: 1993-06-16

Why are the backgrounds in photos often more interesting than the subject? I guess it is that hint of something that leaves you wondering!

cj241101
2nd Dec 2015, 08:22
The Jetstream is probably G-BKUY which was a regular at the time so it's not in my anorak log. It was still registered to BAe. I seem to remember it had small "Air Foyle Executive" stickers on the nose. Cessna 406 OO-TIZ was operated by SkyService.

cj241101
2nd Dec 2015, 08:58
G-BKUY with the Air Foyle Executive sticker, photo taken 14/5/95. This aircraft was originally registered to McAlpine Aviation on 6/9/83 who used it on the Euroflite scheduled service to Brussels.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/G-BKUY20Luton20140595_zpsr6l4gggm.jpg?t=1448963436

Behind is Falcon 900B N332MC of MCI Transcon Corporation.

macky42
2nd Dec 2015, 17:39
G-ATHR around 1984-5, in earlier Britannia livery.
Me preflighting, instructor is Dave Duffy who was a Britannia engineer at the time, going for his commercial licences. I don't know if he made it.
The other club aircraft at the time was another PA28, G-ATRU, which got bent at Old Warden. It was almost impossible to get a booking on 'HR after that, and I gave up for a few years.

http://imageshack.com/a/img903/301/VTwQDY.jpg

This is where we used to park then:

http://imageshack.com/a/img910/7426/QOoPLo.jpg

LTNman
2nd Dec 2015, 18:34
Couple of great photos there so thanks.

Percival House looked in better condition than in this photo taken from the other side just before it was knocked down to make way for what became Gulfstream's new hangar after Signature vacated it.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/03070006_zpss5ya5tkt.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/03070006_zpss5ya5tkt.jpg.html)

Double Hydco
2nd Dec 2015, 18:44
Me preflighting, instructor is Dave Duffy who was a Britannia engineer at the time, going for his commercial licences. I don't know if he made it.

Dave became a Captain on the Shorts Belfast with Heavylift. A great bloke to fly and socialise with.....

DH

macky42
2nd Dec 2015, 19:36
That's great to know, thanks!

YVRLTN
3rd Dec 2015, 01:35
G-BKUY with the Air Foyle Executive sticker, photo taken 14/5/95. This aircraft was originally registered to McAlpine Aviation on 6/9/83 who used it on the Euroflite scheduled service to Brussels.

I remember this one well, it was a regular, but I never noted the Foyle sticker, I always assumed it was something to do with BAe at Hatfield - what did they use it for, crew positioning?

On a different note, when did Manx operate the 360? My earliest memories are of G-ISLE at lunchtime.

Allan Lupton
3rd Dec 2015, 08:02

I remember this one well, it was a regular, but I never noted the Foyle sticker, I always assumed it was something to do with BAe at Hatfield - what did they use it for, crew positioning?
Not sure what crew(s) you can mean.
We had a Jockstream as an inter-factory shuttle aeroplane between Hatfield and Woodford but it wouldn't have needed to use Luton. We did sometimes use Luton as a Customs Airport at weekends when Hatfield had no coverage, but that was occasional, not regular use.

EGGW
3rd Dec 2015, 09:38
I did my first solo on G-ATRU, and flew G-ATHR lots. I did some lessons with Dave Duffy, and I would love top know where he is now. The Heavylft Belfast, has been sitting in Cairns, for a long while now.

G-OBAL was bought as a replacement for G-ATRU after it got bent. But lessons weren't a practical proposition on it.

EGGW.

Level bust
3rd Dec 2015, 09:39
If I remember correctly Air Foyle were going to use the Jetstream for charter work. They did do a few proving/training flights, because a few of us from ATC went along for the ride. One was in Aug 1994, and went Luton - Bristol - Exeter - Southampton - Luton. The second one we went on was in Nov 1994 and went Luton - Bournemouth - Luton - Leeds - Luton. I can't remember which one it was but on one of the flights the Captain was an ex BA Concorde captain being trained on the Jetstream. I don't think the proposed work got off the ground though. (Excuse the pun)

As far as GBKUY being used by McAlpine, it was also used for charter work, and was used once on the Mail on Sunday run to Manchester in October 1985, which I was fortunate to be on!

cj241101
3rd Dec 2015, 16:18
"Just for you seeing that you will have a love of mud is a photo I took by the Ibis of the new approach road as it heads for the under construction tunnel. Taken in I guess 1998."

Anorak log says tunnel opened on 8/3/96, with the rerouted approach road on 18/9/95. Evidenced by the photo below taken on 8/6/96 during the Euro96 football.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/7020HB-IUH20Luton20080696_zpswmq46r1s.jpg
HB-IUH 8/6/96

or this one on 28/4/96

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/5120SE-DPX20Luton20280496_zpsgj9jnyg6.jpg?t=1449077371
SE-DPM 28/4/96

cj241101
3rd Dec 2015, 22:13
"when did Manx operate the 360? My earliest memories are of G-ISLE at lunchtime"

My earliest records of regular Manx flights go back to 1984 when they were operating night mail flights with the SD3-60. According to Air Britain's "Airlines of the British Isles since 1919" the passenger schedules did not start until 1990, although I believe they actually started in June 1988 using the SD3-60. I first recorded their ATP's in March 1989 and the 146 in April 1990. Weekday flight numbers were JE881/2 and operated late morning, although I seem to recall the weekend flights were later in the day (JE883/4 Sat and JE885/6 Sun from memory).

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/G-OATP20Luton20020989_zpseabsvsmy.jpg?t=1449097335
G-OATP 2/9/89

PAXboy
4th Dec 2015, 13:53
Re IOM: cj241101 You are correct. Weekdays were aimed at biz timings but the weekend flights were fitted around (in so far as I could learn) crew rosters. There was a limited service at the w'ends and it was down to how many sectors they could get one crew to do, just work your way around until time is up! (more or less). If I got the Friday evening out to see mother on Fraggle Rock I paid a lot of money. Then I had to get the Sunday back but that left around midday, so you did not get as much time for your money.

wallp
5th Dec 2015, 10:13
Weren't the first Manx passenger flights operated by a Viscount? I may be wrong but I seem to recall seem to recall their Viscount at Luton in the mid to late 80's.

A much missed route :oh:

rog747
5th Dec 2015, 12:10
Manx obtained first its viscount from BMA and so took over the BMA LHR-IOM twice daily operation inherited from BA (1980?ish)

I do not know if they operated the Viscount to LTN?

LTNman
6th Dec 2015, 12:57
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/Roland%20Carr_zps0rptby6d.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/Roland%20Carr_zps0rptby6d.jpg.html)
Roland Carr

cj241101
6th Dec 2015, 21:12
Obviously 1973 or 1974. Court Lines HS125 G-AVRG in front of a Gulfstream 2 that MIGHT be N1624 of Texaco although I'm not sure the colour scheme is correct (seems to end in "24"). Presumably the Aer Turas DC-4 EI-ARS nose out on stand 9 with an unidentifiable Viscount between the 2 Monarchs. I stand to be corrected of course!

boeing_eng
6th Dec 2015, 21:59
G-OTUI was indeed owned privately by the then top man at the time. He then went on to get a Twinstar for the regular trips to Hannover.

Dave Duffy was a top guy...He worked on the Belslow in the RAF so always had a soft spot for them....:ok:

OpsSix
7th Dec 2015, 09:08
SE-DPX L1011 looks more like G-CEAP to me (currently rotting at STN).

cj241101
7th Dec 2015, 15:03
OpsSix you are correct ! (well, almost). My anorak records show SE-DPM (clear enough if you zoom in on the nose gear doors), so where I got SE-DPX from, which never flew in these colours, I've no idea. SE-DPM became G-CEAP the following month then G-IOIT.

SE-DPM 30/5/94, 3 days after cancellation from the UK (G-BEAL). Still of course wearing basic Caledonian colours.
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/SE-DPM20Luton20300594_zpsqlsntzs3.jpg?t=1449435218

OpsSix
7th Dec 2015, 15:56
It's a shame to see it in its current state.

Is the Britannia fuselage still at LTN? I remember climbing inside when I was on work experience many moons ago.

cj241101
7th Dec 2015, 19:58
Still present in May this year. Good view from the footpath that goes from the country park to the east end of the runway.

LTNman
8th Dec 2015, 14:08
A photo was put on here a few weeks ago of the hulk. http://www.pprune.org/9139235-post1007.html

boeing_eng
8th Dec 2015, 19:39
For comparison, here's my picture of SE-DPX.....An early Srs 50 built for TWA with the retrofitted No 2 Engine "Frisbee fairing"

http://i65.tinypic.com/of3a4w.jpg

LTNman
9th Dec 2015, 20:47
One of the airports institutions before it was closed down was the airports flying club. I never really went there apart from the grab a granny nights towards its end. The site is now an apron for an FBO.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/fly_zpst93l9ll4.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/fly_zpst93l9ll4.jpg.html)

pabely
9th Dec 2015, 21:27
OMG! - Remember too much about the place, memberships #007 used to work .....then Sands or Charlie Browns....

Haraka
10th Dec 2015, 07:19
On the off chance , can anybody perhaps give me the registration of the other Auster to G-AIGT at the Luton Flying Club around 1957?

vintage ATCO
10th Dec 2015, 07:57
G-AGXH
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/G-AGXH%20Auster_1.jpg

Haraka
10th Dec 2015, 08:29
vintage ATCO
Thank you so much , I now have a photo of the first aircraft I flew in ( sitting sideways in the back).
Happy Christmas!

LTNman
10th Dec 2015, 09:05
How about this one registered to the flying club 24/05/1957

http://www.austerj4.co.uk/?page_id=132&ckattempt=1

sycamore
10th Dec 2015, 11:14
Austers at LFC`60-63`; `AGXH;AIGT;AIJI;..Autocar `AOHZ
Tigers;AOGS,AOZH,ANLR,AISR.
Chipmunk;APAC;AMXL;AMMA.
Hornet Moth;ADKL
D.Turbi;AOTK;
Piper Colt ARIS.
Not sure if all belonged to LFC,but `leased/used`....

Haraka
10th Dec 2015, 12:25
LTNman
Thanks for this one as well! I do remember there being perspex over the sideways facing rear seat area, if that helps define the variant.

LTNman
11th Dec 2015, 14:49
CL44 with its swing tail.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/Photo0035_zpsdqhpklyr.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/Photo0035_zpsdqhpklyr.jpg.html)

oldandbald
11th Dec 2015, 21:26
Livestock flight just landed , door open for fresh air ?? :yuk:

dixi188
12th Dec 2015, 09:54
I remember seeing an Invicta Brit. flying calves out of Hurn in the 70s. The loady or handler was hanging out of the rear door on taxi and only closed it as the aircraft accelerated along the runway.

LTNman
13th Dec 2015, 19:58
Far more interesting than an Easyjet Airbus. This photo was taken at the official opening of the airport.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/12363263_1530413573943746_8443986893809074813_o_zps12qsibd6. jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/12363263_1530413573943746_8443986893809074813_o_zps12qsibd6. jpg.html)
Luton News

Offchocks
13th Dec 2015, 21:20
LTNman
What was the aircraft, looks very sleek and perhaps not too female friendly when boarding!

oldandbald
13th Dec 2015, 21:30
De Havilland DH-91 Albatross this was the prototype built for mail carrying . Further 6 built as 22 seat passenger aircraft. None survived WW11

Allan Lupton
13th Dec 2015, 22:00
De Havilland DH-91 Albatross this was the prototype built for mail carrying . Further 6 built as 22 seat passenger aircraft. None survived WW11

I have to say that the door wasn't all that much better placed in the airliner version, but I think the stairs in this photo were normal for the time.
http://aviadejavu.ru/Images6/MY/MY76-3/19-8.jpg

LTNman
14th Dec 2015, 04:44
Great youtube clip here. 6Q_zNrj0GpM After some stills at the beginning of the clip there is some cinema news coverage. What great sounding engines these aircraft had. It seems the aircraft was based on the high speed Comet from three years previous.

For those with time on their hands there is a fascinating youtube video that follows the above clip about the Mosquito but this video lasts 44 minutes but it is well worth watching it. Looks like the film was made just after the war and covers its history, build and the thoughts behind it. and of course to keep it all in topic the Mosquito was also built at Luton. One thing I learned from the film was that the American AF also flew the Mosquito.

vh4vazBq-X4

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/alb_zpsvgfumufr.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/alb_zpsvgfumufr.jpg.html)

LTNman
17th Dec 2015, 05:16
How it all began

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/11822515_10153505796899861_3139423201087797961_n_zpskmiaemnd .jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/11822515_10153505796899861_3139423201087797961_n_zpskmiaemnd .jpg.html)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/11822423_10153505792089861_744054950391888998_n_zpsslppyzrj. jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/11822423_10153505792089861_744054950391888998_n_zpsslppyzrj. jpg.html)

Pain in the R's
17th Dec 2015, 15:16
So what are those two aircraft types in the last post? I guess the photo was taken in the 30's.

vintage ATCO
17th Dec 2015, 17:26
The pics are 1938, Percival Proctor and de Havilland Hornet Moth. The pedant in me would argue it started before then . . . .

Haraka
18th Dec 2015, 05:02
....and the pedant in me would argue that if the pic was taken in 1938 then the monoplane is most likely to one of the Percival Gulls .... :)

vintage ATCO
18th Dec 2015, 07:33
True! :O :p

sycamore
18th Dec 2015, 11:22
The Hornet Moth is `AFDG,reg28/3/38-`40; nothing after that..

l.garey
18th Dec 2015, 12:01
According to airhistory.org:

G-AFDG DH.87B Hornet Moth 8146 G-AFDG W9390 LH Riddell/Doncaster reg.12.37 Impressed 31.3.40 SOC 5.8.43 scrapped Gatwick

Laurence

LTNman
22nd Dec 2015, 20:39
I think this was 1998 but was this aircraft in BA colours on the Isle of Man service? The ATP was using the temporary taxiway as the second half of the tunnel was being built.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/RIB-070476a_zpsvqunrpgu.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/RIB-070476a_zpsvqunrpgu.jpg.html)
Origin of photo unknown.

cj241101
23rd Dec 2015, 21:59
According to my (not infallible!) anorak log, BA City Express used the ATP as well as the CityFlyer ATR-42's on their Paris-CDG service in the summer of 1995, which is probably when the photo was taken. Tunnel opened March 1996. BA ATP's also appeared regularly on the Manx Belfast City services during summer 1997.

bean
24th Dec 2015, 03:25
In 1995 bral/Manx and Cityflyer were still completely seperate companies. They wernn't bought by BA until 2001 and 1999 respectively
BAcitiexpress didn't exis until 2002 and Cityflyer was not part of it

cj241101
24th Dec 2015, 10:26
CityFlyer, although not actually bought by BA until Nov 1998, were the first franchise operator on behalf of British Airways Express as long ago as 1993. The BA Express route LTN-CDG, which ran from March 1994 to October 1995, operated with CityFlyer ATR-42's in British Airways Express colours, using BA flight numbers commercially but CFE ("Flyer") callsigns for ATC.

LTNman
30th Dec 2015, 05:30
Now I can't ever remember that passengers could walk to the hangar line from the old terminal to catch their flights but clearly they could at some point. So trying to date this photo what year did BEA bring out its new livery seen on the second Vanguard?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/luton-airport-anniversary-4-1373921010-view-0_zpsvxf7rbmj.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/luton-airport-anniversary-4-1373921010-view-0_zpsvxf7rbmj.jpg.html)
Origin of photo unknown

OUAQUKGF Ops
30th Dec 2015, 08:33
To judge from the livery on the Skyways HS 748 I think you can narrow the period down to circa 1972-3.

Pain in the R's
30th Dec 2015, 10:02
Skyways! now that is a name from the past. I think they overturned one of their 748's when landing at their base at Lympe in Kent when the airport still had a grass runway. Soon afterwards a new concrete runway was built but soon both the airport and the airline were no more.

Discorde
30th Dec 2015, 10:29
I might be able to date that photo (post #1111) precisely. My log book shows I was an F/O on Merchantman GAPEP ex GLA that diverted into LTN due LHR fog on 1st Feb 1973 (arr LTN 0025 on the 2nd). I remember at least one other VC9 there too - possibly the other one in the photo. If so the photo can be dated 2nd Feb 1973 - the day they returned to LHR.

The 'new' BEA paint scheme first appeared in 1968 on the Trident fleet - the jokers said it looked like the Union flag was being sucked into the intake of the centre Spey. Vanguards and Merchantman were gradually repainted over the next few years.

LTNman
30th Dec 2015, 11:16
Thanks Discorde That date seems to line up nicely.

I found this photo of one of Skyway's 748's when it was in a hybrid livery from the Tom Singfield collection

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/22013441900_4267650ea1_c_zpsa40nhgko.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/22013441900_4267650ea1_c_zpsa40nhgko.jpg.html)

DaveReidUK
30th Dec 2015, 11:17
It's certainly a Merchantman, you can just discern the "BEA Cargo" titles.

If indeed it was G-APEP, it was one of only a few Merchantmen that survived long enough to be later painted in the Negus & Negus BA livery (and is now at Brooklands, of course).

cj241101
30th Dec 2015, 15:38
The HS748 in the photo is in Skyways International livery. Their predecessor Skyways Coach Air ceased operations in January 1971, with Skyways International starting up a month later. They were taken over by Dan Air in April 1972, operating as Dan Air Skyways for a while before being fully integrated into Dan Air. I would suggest the photo therefore dates from late 1971 when there were a number of diversion days, nearly all while I was at school (yes, I really am that young!). See post #620 page 31 on this forum for a newspaper cutting and photo dated 7/10/71 which may have been the day in question. The Merchantman is certainly parked in the same place, what looks like a Court Line1-11 behind it.

LTNman
30th Dec 2015, 15:53
Direct link to that post http://www.pprune.org/8935102-post620.html

LTNman
31st Dec 2015, 05:26
That HS748 in the photo four posts back crashed in 1981 killing all on board as it was on approach to East Midlands Airport. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan-Air_Flight_240

22/04
31st Dec 2015, 08:30
Going back to post #1107 BAe ATPs operated BHD-LTN in the 90s - I remember flying on one. They had a little sticker on the nose stating "operated by Manx" and for a time British Regional as a franchise. Again Landor BA livery, BA flight number and BA uniformed flight attendants.

I think the trip was when England did well in Euro competition- that would make it 1996.

Guess the route was killed by Easy flying LTN-BFS - certainly used them in 2003. Flew the route with Britannia even earlier as discussed here- 1991?

Not sure they ever operated a CDG - remember that being always an ATR 42.

wallp
1st Jan 2016, 15:01
22/04 I think that's right - I only ever remember the CDG flights being operated by an ATR42.

I well remember the first Manx BHD flight arriving into Luton. Did it stop after easyJet started flying to BFS? I thought there was a gap though may well be wrong. Wasn't there plans for Jersey (British) European to serve BHD after they started GCI/JER services but for whatever reason it never happened?

Interesting how BFS is the most served domestic today which makes me wonder if a BHD route could ever be made to work again alongside EZY to BFS?

cj241101
1st Jan 2016, 17:46
My records show a Belfast-BHD service starting Nov 1993 with a 146-300. It obviously wasn't a success, quickly getting downgraded to an F27 with the last flight on 5/1/94.

Summer 1998 saw them operate daily to Jersey and Guernsey with an F27, and a 146-200 on Saturdays. The daily F27 (JER+GCI) continued through winter 98/99 and summer 1999, with the 146 again on Saturdays. Jersey only was operated winter 99/00 with a 146 on Mon, Wed, Sat, Sun, back to daily again during summer 2000 with the Dash Eight being used Mon, Wed. Fri. No Guernsey flights, though. Rebranded as British European around May 2000.

Something I had forgotten was that British Airways ATP's operated a weekly (Sat) charter from/to Jersey during summer 1997.

wallp
1st Jan 2016, 20:07
Jersey European in all its guises have certainly had a very chequered history with Luton right up to and including the more recent FlyBe operation.

Oh how I'd love to see an airline serve Guernsey from Luton again, though it's hard to imagine at the moment who that might be

LTNman
1st Jan 2016, 20:46
Something I had forgotten was that British Airways ATP's operated a weekly (Sat) charter from/to Jersey during summer 1997.

The BA Express ATR42 did a Jersey flight on Saturdays for at least one summer season as I spent a pleasant day on the Island. I can't remember if it was a scheduled service or a weekly charter I was booked on but I remember it did at least one W pattern before returning me home in the evening. Don't ever remember an ATP doing the flights.

LTNman
2nd Jan 2016, 05:54
Can't find out much about this aircraft so I guess it might not have been a success. I would think that this aircraft would be the last aircraft to roll off a production line at Luton even though it was technically a conversion.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/400_zpsdafpys3k.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/400_zpsdafpys3k.jpg.html)

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/400a_zpsdnujomyd.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/400a_zpsdnujomyd.jpg.html)

The first McAlpine conversion to Riley Executive 400 standard was completed by mid-1965.

The Riley Executive 400 conversion was available from Riley and McAlpine in six stages, any one of which could be taken on its own if the customer did not want a complete conversion:

1. Re-engining with two 400 hp Lycoming IO-720 eight-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engines, each fitted with two Riley Turbo 300 turbo-superchargers and driving a Hartzell three-blade propeller. New sweptback vertical tail surfaces and a "fatigue-free" steel spar capped wing were included in this stage of the conversion, which contributed 90% of the overall speed increase and 90% of the weight decrease of 800 lb (363 kg) offered by the conversion.
2. Remanufacture of the flight deck to include one-piece instrument panel and improvements in field of vision.
3. Flush riveting of entire wing from leading-edge back to rear spar and epoxy coating of leading-edge.
4. Replacement of existing cabin door by air-stair door.
5. Complete cabin re-styling, with improved sound-proofing and installation of fully-reclining individual chairs.
6. Removal of all existing paint and refinishing with epoxy resin paints to customer's specification.

DaveReidUK
2nd Jan 2016, 07:03
Can't find out much about this aircraft so I guess it might not have been a success.There were about 30 conversions by Riley in the US and McAlpine in the UK, of which about half a dozen survive with only a couple in the USA still flying.

Interestingly, the McAlpine conversions retained the original DH fin//rudder due to certification issues, as with these two examples that went to Australia:

http://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/dh104/DH104-ABK-Mildura-2-10-76-NKDaw-KOM.jpg

vintage ATCO
2nd Jan 2016, 19:49
I only remember N1472V with a swept tail.

treadigraph
2nd Jan 2016, 23:16
Fairflight had a couple of Rileys - G-AROI i think was one - with the DH fin as I recall.

Luton thread I know, but Biggin in the '70s...:)

India Four Two
3rd Jan 2016, 02:38
Did the swept-back fin do anything useful in terms of weight or performance or was it just a marketing effort?

oftenflylo
3rd Jan 2016, 07:21
F-BGOA had swept fin - was it done at Luton?

DaveReidUK
3rd Jan 2016, 09:54
I only remember N1472V with a swept tail.

That was Riley's prototype, demo'd in the UK in 1965 which was no doubt when the photo at McAlpine's was taken.

F-BGOA had swept fin - was it done at Luton?

No, that was a US conversion according to Jackson. He does say, however, that one of the swept fin examples (F-BORJ, the former G-ATGK) was a McAlpine conversion, which seems a bit odd. Maybe the restriction was on getting a UK C of A for the swept fin - though G-ATGK did briefly re-appear on the UK register in 1975.

Anyway, I've unearthed a photo of what appears to be the conversion line at McAlpine's, showing a Dove identified as G-ATGL with a distinctly Lycoming-looking engine:

http://www.na3t.org/images/photos/air/PB03737.jpg

though strangely 04289 doesn't appear on any of the published listings of conversions, so it may be a mis-identification, given the lack of visible markings.

oftenflylo
3rd Jan 2016, 11:35
David Browns dove ?RDH? was c/v at Luton to Lycomings

treadigraph
3rd Jan 2016, 12:20
Fairflight had G-ASUW with a standard fin and G-BDHD which had a swept fin, imported from South Africa.

DanS333
3rd Jan 2016, 21:13
I now own one of the McAlpine Riley conversions ex G-ATGI- VH-ABM. G-ATGJ was scrapped in the mid 80's with only the cockpit and a few other parts surviving at the Ballarat Aviation Museum.
https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xal1/v/t1.0-9/10882130_746004898782595_7106427375259652534_n.jpg?oh=97f9ce a3e1d55511cf2b65073d9db039&oe=571AEE4C

https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/12301456_894208297295587_2005778964991985939_n.jpg?oh=ca0ed1 684352dc33f5ac85aff270fc50&oe=5701B742

Cheers, Dan

https://www.facebook.com/DovePreservationGroup/

DanS333
3rd Jan 2016, 21:16
the 2 different Fins side by side
https://scontent-syd1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/10462826_884571658259251_8827684554049331632_n.jpg?oh=8767df acebb383aa073e74f4f28fe3b8&oe=57477235

https://www.facebook.com/DovePreservationGroup

LTNman
4th Jan 2016, 06:09
Did the swept-back fin do anything useful in terms of weight or performance or was it just a marketing effort?

Quote from the above website:

Whilst the Riley fin was alleged to reduce drag, rudder authority was reduced as a result of the modification.

Great link and photos DanS333. Everyday I learn something new!

mustbeaboeing
5th Jan 2016, 15:07
Very interesting 'sub topic' of LTN history. Something I, and suspect many others were unaware of. With regard to the photographs post 1125 & 1135. In the latter, is there a section of the fin leading edge missing from the top? Ahead of the rudder horn? Just curious.

DaveReidUK
5th Jan 2016, 15:58
In the latter, is there a section of the fin leading edge missing from the top? Ahead of the rudder horn? Just curious.

Correct.

At the risk of upsetting the mods with a wide picture, here's the same fin/rudder in situ:

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/6/2/6/0004626.jpg

DanS333
5th Jan 2016, 20:37
Dave beat me to it, sadly this and another Riley were scrapped in the early 2000's The only remaining parts are the Fins and horizontal stabs that are in my collection

Rhys Perraton
6th Jan 2016, 01:59
Drift here from Luton airport to Doves but GAROI was definitly not a Riley conversion, original proper Gypsy machine, Fred's baby and Fairflight's first and last Dove. Happy Days.

LTNman
6th Jan 2016, 05:21
Drift here from Luton airport to Doves but GAROI was definitly not a Riley conversion, original proper Gypsy machine, Fred's baby and Fairflight's first and last Dove. Happy Days.

Doesn't matter if there is a little drift. It is what makes this thread so fascinating seeing it twist and turn in so many directions all from a starting point of a once little grass strip airfield on a Bedfordshire Hill.

I find the Australian connection and that Museum really interesting. Just wish it was a place I could go and visit.:ok:

VictorGolf
6th Jan 2016, 11:16
That Riley Dove in the picture a few posts back would look good on any executive ramp even today. Aaaah de Havilland! (Well Riley/de Havilland)

treadigraph
6th Jan 2016, 20:18
GAROI was definitly not a Riley conversion

Yes, a reg that seems to have stuck in my head better than most for the last thirty five years or more! 'SUW was the one I meant and I do now recall G-BDHD with the swept fin. G-INFO does aid the little grey cells.

Airfields were all interesting then...

DCBOE
7th Jan 2016, 11:29
G-BDHD was a BA DC10

Groundloop
7th Jan 2016, 11:47
G-BDHD was a BA DC10

Eh, no it wasn't.

GINFO Search Results (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=BDHD)

But G-BHDH was!

LTNman
10th Jan 2016, 05:59
I think these 3 aircraft were bought from BEA but where did they go when Autair sold them in 1969? I seem to remember they were used on Luton to Blackpool, Hull and Dundee routes.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/Altair%20Heralds%20for%20sale_zpsqq1tt7hx.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/Altair%20Heralds%20for%20sale_zpsqq1tt7hx.jpg.html)

DaveReidUK
10th Jan 2016, 07:31
I think these 3 aircraft were bought from BEA but where did they go when Autair sold them in 1969?

They went to La Urraca in Colombia. One crashed in May 1972, one in November 1973 and the third was broken up in 1982.

AFAIK, BEA never owned them but leased them from the Ministry of Supply for use on the Scottish Highlands & Islands routes from 1962 to 1966.

vintage ATCO
10th Jan 2016, 07:37
All three were sold to Colombia in 1970.

I use to visit rellies in Lancashire, staff rate 19/- return.

There was a famous flypast of all three in formation just before Autair sold them. Anyone got a photo?

OUAQUKGF Ops
10th Jan 2016, 09:08
The only photo that I have seen of the three Heralds' farewell formation (led by Capt Jimmy Gross) is on page 68 of 'Colours in the Sky' (pub 1997).

LTNman
10th Jan 2016, 11:06
Poor quality sorry to say

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/herald_zpsvtvbymvo.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/herald_zpsvtvbymvo.jpg.html)

Level bust
10th Jan 2016, 12:20
The 3 Heralds were re-sprayed and re-registered at East Midlands, my Dad worked for BMA in 1970 and 71 and they were 3 of many exotic a/c that Fields used to get there. I may have a picture of them somewhere in the loft, I'll see if I can find it!

cj241101
10th Jan 2016, 14:07
One day in November 1970, listening to Luton Tower (120.2 back then) on my airband radio, I heard an aircraft flying circuits with the callsign Hotel Kilo 718. I think the pilot was English so it didn't occur to me it might be something interesting - probably just a flight number. It was after school and getting dark so I didn't venture up to the airport to investigate. Subsequently discovered of course it was G-APWB having been re-registered in Columbia as HK-718, flying in (so I was told at the time) full La Urraca colours.

This is G-APWC taken at the airport open day on 1/11/69, just after Autair withdrew from the scheduled service market. Hangar 89 is still under construction behind.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/G-APWC20Luton20011169_zpsmyshen4j.jpg?t=1452351753

Wageslave
11th Jan 2016, 09:54
HP Heralds "exotic"!

Strewth, your dad must have had a slow old job.

Airbanda
12th Jan 2016, 20:51
They went to La Urraca in Colombia. One crashed in May 1972, one in November 1973 and the third was broken up in 1982.

The one that survived until 1982 was G APWA. Was on my evening vigil as a spotter at LBA on 11/08/1976 watching the usual Air Anglia etc stuff when 'PWA dropped onto runway 15. First thought seeing it on approach was that it'd be a BMA example filing in for a sick AQ F-27

UK registration but in basic colours of Sadia do Brasil.

Refuelling stop on delivery to BAF,

Level bust
12th Jan 2016, 21:03
Not sure it would have been GAPWA as The 3 that went to Colombia were GAPWB, C and D, which were the three operating up until Autair ceased schedule services.

Airbanda
12th Jan 2016, 21:18
Level Bust - you're quite right. Although 'PWA was operated by Autair it wasn't one of their machines - HP's demonstrator. Probably leased pending delivery of 'PWB/C/D.

It was though the last survivor of the series 100 Heralds and wasderelict at Sothend by 1982/3 but (I think) subsequently restored and now displayed a t Woodley in BEA colours.

DaveReidUK
12th Jan 2016, 23:40
It was though the last survivor of the series 100 Heralds and was derelict at Southend by 1982/3 but (I think) subsequently restored and now displayed at Woodley in BEA colours.

Indeed it is.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5682/21761648398_463df865b1.jpg

LTNman
13th Jan 2016, 06:21
According to my Herald book Autair also leased G-ASKK from August to December 1963 while G-APWA saw service from April to August also in 1963.

One of the Heralds in the hangar at Luton in Au Urraca colours before its departure to Colombia

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/herald_zpsjzb5pflt.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/herald_zpsjzb5pflt.jpg.html)

OUAQUKGF Ops
13th Jan 2016, 09:25
G-APWA and G-ASKK were both leased pending the arrival and introduction of Autair's Ambassadors in 1963. Autair's Ambassadors came from Globe Air who were part-exchanging them with Handley Page for Heralds. However delivery of the Heralds to Globe Air was delayed by manufacturing problems and thus the release of the Ambassadors from Globe Air was also delayed. Hence the lease of the Heralds to Autair as a stop gap.

G-APWB/C/D were purchased by Autair in 1966. Incidentally I spent several very happy hours joy-riding in the cockpits of these three aircraft on training details - ferrying AOG spares etc - before their introduction to passenger services with Autair. Happy Days!

ZeBedie
13th Jan 2016, 09:43
HP Heralds "exotic"!

Strewth, your dad must have had a slow old job.

His point that Fields, in the 70s had all sorts of exotic visitors is very valid.

Level bust
13th Jan 2016, 10:57
Indeed I did, Cameroun DC3 and a Zaire DC4 to name just 2. Compared to todays a/c that all look the same I would call the Herald exotic now! Lovely a/c to fly in, big windows and a clear view with no wing in the way.

HZ123
13th Jan 2016, 12:10
This is one of the best threads and I thank all the contributors. In my 42 plus years in aviation only went to LTN a handful of times but do recall Court Line and Britannia. I flew on a BIA Herald to GCI one January after a snowfall and was able to observe the clearance of same from above the wings and fuselage.

A chap climbed on top of the a/c with a large broom and swept it clear, wonderful days!

LTNman
14th Jan 2016, 05:35
1960 Fire fighting Luton style

Na6fFbik6Tg

l.garey
14th Jan 2016, 05:47
The commentator says "an old Provost aircraft". It's in fact a Jet Provost, but which one? In 1960 it was not so "old". Or was it some kind of mock-up? It looks a bit tattered, but maybe it was used regularly for bonfires like this. Any ideas?

Laurence

LTNman
14th Jan 2016, 06:21
It seems where the engines should be has been papered over for the fire.
Percival's made four T2 development aircraft, maybe it was one of those.

lotus1
14th Jan 2016, 08:32
Great shots of Luton airport last night on true entertainment old avengers series showed John stead and party taking of in a remote control herald possible ex Bea /Autair also a very young Donald Sutherland and Brian BLessard in it

Level bust
14th Jan 2016, 11:03
It was filmed just prior to the Heralds being painted in to Autair colours. I remember my Dad coming home to say they were filming, although the only thing he saw was Emma Peel's Lotus Elan!

Groundloop
14th Jan 2016, 11:51
That would be John Steed and Brian Blessed.

LGS6753
15th Jan 2016, 16:34
I remember watching the filming of the episode one Sunday morning. Just caught a glimpse of Diana Rigg/Emma Peel...:ok::ok:

Mr Oleo Strut
17th Jan 2016, 12:51
Recent posts a wonderful trip down memory lane for me. I was an HP Woodley apprentice and worked on those series 100s and some of the 200s, also G-ARTC and -AODF. One of them was specially fitted out and did a world tour with the Duke of Edinburgh. Woodley still reeked of Miles in those days and was a great place in which to be an apprentice - not too big. Old Sir Fred used to come down and see us and the place was run by his son-in-law. I remember loads. The spectacular Herald take-off on snow, the howl of the Darts, the smell of thinners and whiff of fumes from degreasing fluid, the rat-tat-tat of riveting guns, the whine of Desoutter air-drills, slurry splashing in the machine shop (site of Bader's serious crash). Snoozing in Victor long-range tanks, picking ****e out of Hastings main spars. The Falcon and the Bull at Sonning. Cycling back full of shandy ready for hours of hard graft then on to college in the evening. Cycling everywhere, fit as a flea and with a pound in my pocket. Happy days, and a great pity it all went belly-up. I'm so glad that WA has survived, but I'd prefer to see her under cover!

OUAQUKGF Ops
17th Jan 2016, 16:15
Excuse slight thread drift. On the 'Classic Wings' DVD-'Handley Page Herald' there is some lovely footage of Heralds taking off in the snow from Woodley on their delivery flights. Most impressive performance! Incidentally G-ASKK is preserved today, intact, at the aviation museum Norwich.

oftenflylo
20th Jan 2016, 13:53
Mr OleoStrut - I sent you a private message -pse

LTNman
23rd Jan 2016, 04:13
I have read that Handley Page at Radlett used to route Herald's through Luton to clear customs.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/bampw_019_zpscas3ikue.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/bampw_019_zpscas3ikue.jpg.html)
vintage ATCO

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/bampw_033_zps1zrfxm6c.jpg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/bampw_033_zps1zrfxm6c.jpg.html)
vintage ATCO

oftenflylo
23rd Jan 2016, 06:47
And before Luton had customs they used to route them through Southend, as also the DH125s & Percival export Provosts, civil JP demos & Pembrokes!

cj241101
24th Jan 2016, 16:09
Delivery dates for the above 2 Heralds were HB-AAG ON 4/5/63 and 4X-AHT on 28/7/65.

vintage ATCO
24th Jan 2016, 16:19
Did anyone here work for Hunting Percivals in the 1950s or do you know someone who did, in particular on Chipmunk fuselages that were assembled at Luton? We are organising a Chipmunk 70th First Flight Anniversary at Old Warden on May 22 and one of the organisers would like from anyone that was involved at Luton. In the first instance please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

TrapperJ
27th Jan 2016, 21:23
As a lad who grew up in Luton in the late 60s, I used to love trips to the airport, and have really enjoyed browsing this thread over the last few days. I can remember the Autair Ambassadors, but don't remember seeing any Connies. We moved to Bedford in 1970, but still visited the airport every now and then (whenever I could persuade my Dad to drive us there). I loved the old visitors area with the (now demolished) cafe, watching the planes come past the low fence. I remember the colourful Court Line jets, the Autair 1-11s, Bristol Britannias from Monarch and Britannia, and later from Geminair and Redcoat and Katale. I remember the decrepit old AeroAmerica 707 that got scrapped, and seeing the wingless Britannia Proteus testbed. The airport seems to have a lot less character these days.

I was always fascinated by planes, and used to collect paper cuttings from the Luton Echo (or was it the Post?). I remember a cutting showing a KLM DC-8-63 visiting Luton carrying Ajax fans for a match with Arsenal. I also remember a photo of a Monarch Britannia when somebody had made a (hoax) bomb threat, with a headline something like "Airport waits as bomb search goes on...". That would probably have been 1969 or 1970 - I'd be fascinated to know if anyone recalls that incident in any detail?

LTNman
30th Jan 2016, 10:38
Great memories from TrapperJ
Looks like your request has everyone stumped.

I was looking though my bookcase today and found squeezed between two books a 1994 timetable for Manx Airlines. In their summer timetable for that year they were operating routes to and from Luton to the Isle of Man, 2 flights a day to Belfast City Airport and a daily service to Kerry. All the Luton flights in that year were by ATP.

I had forgotten about the Kerry service but did Manx ever serve anywhere else from Luton?

wallp
31st Jan 2016, 19:58
Id forgotten about Kerry too. Was it IOM-LTN-KIR-LTN-IOM or was the KIR service sandwiched between the two BHD flights?

boeing_eng
31st Jan 2016, 20:17
Did anyone get any pics of the Zambian DC-8 that was scrapped outside H89 during the long hot summer of 1976?

DaveReidUK
31st Jan 2016, 22:22
Did anyone get any pics of the Zambian DC-8 that was scrapped outside H89 during the long hot summer of 1976?

I haven't seen any photos of it at LTN, but there are a few of it (9J-ABR) on various visits to LHR in 1972/73/74.

http://www.airteamimages.com/pics/40/40742_800.jpg

DCBOE
1st Feb 2016, 09:08
If it was the same one, it was operated by Charlotte Ranger of the US, IAS bought it for spares, it was stripped and then dragged over behind the fuel dump to be cut up, no brakes so it was towed, with another tug behind using chains to slow it down. Real shame, 25 years old, hardly any corrosion, not like a 25 year old Boeing.

boeing_eng
1st Feb 2016, 14:50
Thanks for the responses....I think you'll find the DC-8 was around 16 years old when it was scrapped....A couple of friends helped strip it out!

BTW...Boeing's of that era didn't need to be very old at all to corrode!

DCBOE
2nd Feb 2016, 05:12
I was part of the crew that stripped it, outside and inside the Brit hanger, also helped move it to its last resting place before it was cut up for saucepans!

LTNman
2nd Feb 2016, 05:17
Why would Britannia want to strip out a DC8?

DCBOE
2nd Feb 2016, 09:48
At the time Britannia were looking after IAS Cargo, who operated Brits, they started to operate the DC8, only one I think, and they bought the Charlotte Ranger aircraft for spares, (no cargo door).

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Feb 2016, 10:09
A nice little photo montage of Monarch's past that include a few of people/places that some might have known...

Cabin crew fashion: the best and worst from Monarch's archive - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/12133832/Cabin-crew-fashion-the-best-and-worst-from-Monarchs-archive.html)

SHJ

Offchocks
2nd Feb 2016, 10:42
Thanks SpringHeeledJack, the first 737 I flew was G-BMON and I remember some of the cabin crew!
Happy days! :)

LTNman
2nd Feb 2016, 11:21
Picture 14, stocking tops and a hint of a suspender belt. Happy memories of a misspent youth. Those were the days:ok:

happybiker
3rd Feb 2016, 09:04
Aghhhhh, even the passengers looked smartly dressed, not a shell suit or onesie in sight

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Feb 2016, 11:19
And the check-in at LTN was just a hop and a skip from the kerb outside, seen in the photo of the beaming kid helping to check-in his parent's suitcase.

Btw, try as i may, the under-arrangements of the hostesses is beyond my eyesight :8 ;) Kudos to those that can! According to the comments Bill Hodgson is in the cockpit photo (No.7) on the right.

SHJ

LTNman
11th Feb 2016, 04:17
When Luton had a 4ft fence to keep the spectators out. This spot is now being turned into a multistory car park.

Well I can identify an Austin 1100 in the top photo plus a Renault something or other and a Morris Marina and Austin A40 in the bottom photo but I am not sure about the other cars.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/12182700_637961933010540_9115409717051033935_o_zps0ynu9g1p.j pg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/12182700_637961933010540_9115409717051033935_o_zps0ynu9g1p.j pg.html)
origin of photo unknown

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c275/ksmithltn/12188178_637962036343863_6573597165218049253_o_zpsp5wzf02s.j pg (http://s29.photobucket.com/user/ksmithltn/media/12188178_637962036343863_6573597165218049253_o_zpsp5wzf02s.j pg.html)
origin of photo unknown

spekesoftly
11th Feb 2016, 07:41
Renault something or other ....Renault 16.

but I am not sure about the other cars.
Vanden Plas Princess 4 litre R and a Singer Gazelle?

22/04
11th Feb 2016, 14:56
The Austin 1100 might be a Vanden Plas too - a friend had one and was a regular visitor.

There's also an Austin A40 and Morris Marina or is it a Hillman Avenger in there.

Probably will get moved to (car) spotters forum for this.

mpenage
11th Feb 2016, 20:51
G-AOVS, the first aircraft I ever worked overtime on as an apprentice circa Christmas 1973...........those were the Days!

boeing_eng
11th Feb 2016, 21:13
Wot no Vauxhall Cresta!...a mate had one in the mid 70's and I always remember he parked it in the Spectators car park, got out and and slammed the door hard leaving pile of rust on the ground!:}:}

vintage ATCO
13th Feb 2016, 10:45
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/Iraq%20AF%20JP%201964-65.jpg

An Iraqi Air Force Jet Provost T.52 at Luton, one of a batch of 20 that were delivered between Aug 1964 and Apr 1965.

Credit: BAE Systems Heritage Centre Warton-Percival Hunting Arhive

LTNman
13th Feb 2016, 13:21
Every once in a while I see a photo here where the background is as interesting as the subject and this is one of those rare photos.

I have never see a ground photo of those 2 wooden buildings before with the long grass fronting them. I guess they were war time buildings but who used them when this photo was taken?

The site of the wooden buildings is now the location of Monarch's hangar but the hangar to the right of the wooden huts still stands.

I also saw a photo last week that I was hoping would make its way here of a Jet Provost on the old compass bay outside Percival's. I had never seen that compass bay before so it was another fascinating photo of Luton's history.

LGS6753
14th Feb 2016, 20:46
http://historyoflutonairpor.fatcow.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/October1967_zpsb83c87da.jpg

From History of Luton Airport blog.

October 1967?

LTNman
15th Feb 2016, 06:59
What is the History of Luton Airport blog?

Gong back to the photo, the "new" terminal shown here was known as the intermediate terminal as it was only meant to be temporary yet it is still in use today buried in the middle of other buildings that have been added over the years.

The grass spectators area is now the location of Easyjet's orange HQ and hangar. The car park became part of the bus station and link building to the 1999 terminal and even that is changing now as building work on the terminal extension is taking place.

vintage ATCO
15th Feb 2016, 07:19
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/G-23-1%201959.jpg

This one, LTNman? I wasn't aware there was a compass base here. Pic around 1959. The fence of the old spectators enclosure in the background.

c/n PAC/84/013 a T.2 and was allocated G-APVF but NTU. G-23-1 was exhib at Farnborough 9.56 and was converted to a T.3 and fitted with an ASV.9 engine by 8.58. It was airfreighted in a Beverley with Gnat XN122 to Khormaksar 5.7.58 and became XN117 to cover live firing trials. It did a demo tour in India and Pakistan 8.58 and airfreighted to the UK 7.10.58. Shipped to Australia 1959 for evaluation by RAAF as A99-002 and assembled at Bankstown by DHA. Believed scrapped in Australia.

Credit: BAE Systems Heritage Centre Warton-Percival/Hunting Photo Archive

LTNman
15th Feb 2016, 07:28
Yes that's the one. I didn't know there was a compass bay here and have never seen it in any aerial shots but the clue for me was the NE marking on the concrete together with the lines radiating out from the centre.:p

PAXboy
15th Feb 2016, 11:14
Compass base: Compass' for the orientation of?

Democritus
15th Feb 2016, 11:23
Compass base: Compass' for the orientation of?

Here's an article on compass swinging: Aircraft Compass Swing | AviationPros.com (http://www.aviationpros.com/article/10385554/aircraft-compass-swing)

vintage ATCO
15th Feb 2016, 18:45
When the Compass Base was established near the current fire station it was the Admiralty that had to come up and calibrate it, unfortunately not in a frigate.

vintage ATCO
15th Feb 2016, 19:03
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/Iraqi%20Provosts%201955.jpg

Four of the 15 Percival Provosts for the (then) Royal Iraqi Air Force. Nearest airframe is '374' Provost T.53 c/n PAC/F/355. FF Luton 1955. Del to Iraq via Bovingdon 17.5.55.

The Bristol 170 is one of four operated in Iraq and the one in the pic is likely '330' delivered in 1953. All four served until around 1969.

Credit: BAE Systems Heritage Centre Warton-Percival/Hunting Photo Archive

PAXboy
15th Feb 2016, 19:13
Thanks Democritus, all makes sense. Do commercial airliners still retain a 'manual' compass as a fail safe?

EGGW
15th Feb 2016, 19:35
Yup, still fitted to modern airliners.

EGGW

LTNman
16th Feb 2016, 05:04
Another great photo from vintage ATCO so thanks.

Are compass bays still used today as Luton's will be gone this year as it will be incorporated into a new taxiway?

jumpseater
16th Feb 2016, 12:06
Not every airport has a compass swing point, as a single piece of tarmac they are 'relatively' expensive for the amount of use/revenue they generate. A good number of airports now use a designated position on a taxiway that can be used instead. They aren't marked as such, more like known locations with no interference that can be used for a compass check.

vintage ATCO
17th Feb 2016, 19:02
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/Provost%20T53s%201956.jpg

Three Provost T.53s for the Burma Air Force at Luton in 1956. All were delivered via Croydon 12 Oct 1956. Proctor 5 G-AGTC in the background, a Percival 'hack'. It was sold in 1960 and destroyed in 1969.

Credit: BAE Systems Heritage Centre Warton - Percival Hunting Archive

horatio_b
17th Feb 2016, 20:16
The remains of Proctor G-AGTC are at Great Oakley,Essex where work is under way to restore another of the type, G-AKEX

LTNman
17th Feb 2016, 23:14
Really interesting last couple of pages. Photo 1197 on the last page shows the airports first flood lights attached to the end of the hangar before the airport got its first lighting towers in the 60's.

Also the last photo above gives the best view I have seen of the farmhouse before the wooden terminal was erected around it. This farmhouse, which was part of Eaton Green Farm was where the first airport manager lived and were I believe might have also served as the airports admin office and maybe the bar for the flying club at one time. Can anyone confirm this.

Also has anyone got a photo of this farmhouse from the road?

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2016, 07:37
Posting to three different forums I have lost the plot as to what I have posted where so apologies if some are duplicated.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/Luton%20Airport%201938.jpg

This is Luton Airport in 1938 and you can clearly see the farm house. I don't know whether the airport commandant lived there, my earliest recollection is H T Rushton in the early 60s (and probably 50s) but it did become the 'airport admin building' until the building of the 'new' terminal when the admin offices relocated to the SE corner of the terminal and where I had my interview (four days after starting work!) By then the commandant was a man called Cole.

The farm house then became the Luton Flying Club bar and doss house and was fortunately was just a few steps from the old control tower where we repaired to after an afternoon shift only to have to be back at 08:00 the next day.

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2016, 07:39
And here is a pic from the 50s which clearly shows the compass base referred to earlier.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/Luton%20Airport%2050-60s_1.jpg

LTNman
18th Feb 2016, 08:38
The 1938 photo shows the rifle range behind the completed rear hangar but what are the aircraft types of the 13 aircraft I can see in the photo?

By the time the second photo was taken much had changed behind the hangars. Not sure what the rows of buildings were used for in the bottom right of the 50's photos.

OUAQUKGF Ops
18th Feb 2016, 09:12
With reference to the rows of buildings I can recall that in 1967 the Operations Department of Autair/Court relocated from the Autair Hangar in to some of these buildings which were on the hillside. The place was like a rabbit warren,dark and dank. The airline's catering department was also located in the same block. We all felt and probably looked like troglodytes.

Later most of the Ops Dept moved into the old terminal building. Our Movement Control Office was on the corner right next to the ramp and naturally had superb views over the airfield. I remember Summer football matches on the stands here at four oclock in the morning while staff waited for the one-elevens to return from Spain. Fat chance today!

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2016, 10:42
Didn't someone mention here (or it may have been elsewhere!) that immediately after WWII they were used as temporary housing?

Found it! They are Uni-Seco buildings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefabs_in_the_United_Kingdom

oftenflylo
18th Feb 2016, 12:18
Types from the right:
Gull/Q6/J2Cub?/J2Cub/Heston Phoenix/unsure /TigerMoth & over to you

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2016, 14:36
Don't you feel the Cubs might be Taylorcrafts, UK built?

oftenflylo
18th Feb 2016, 15:23
The engines hang out the side but thought I would start people thinking. Notwithstanding: superb pics THANKS for posting. this has been a great thread and shaken a few apples out of the tree.

oftenflylo
18th Feb 2016, 15:58
Aaaah, I see Luton Flying Club owned a couple of Taylorcraft in 1939, so you are correct-well done

oftenflylo
18th Feb 2016, 16:10
T/craft (England) Plus Model C G-AFTZ/FUD/FVB during 6 and 7-39 to Luton F/C Ltd, Municipal airport, Luton........first I have seen....any ground level photographs please??

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2016, 16:56
LTNman, you asked for a pic of the farmhouse from the other side . . .

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/farmhouseamptower.jpg

If that scaffolding is for the completion of the tower then this must be 1952.

LTNman
18th Feb 2016, 17:19
Thanks, I have been on the lookout for a photo like that for around 10 years.

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2016, 18:01
The building between the tower and farm house became The Greasy Spoon, staff canteen. More grease than spoon.

OUAQUKGF Ops
18th Feb 2016, 18:26
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y386/tom1125/P1020201_zpsqmngqehq.jpg

I came across this the other day. Hadn't seen it for years and cannot remember where I obtained it but it must have been during my time at LTN (1966-70ish) I met Ken Cartwright and Ken Souter but I don't know who the other chaps are. Any ideas?

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2016, 19:26
I knew Ken Cartwright well and met Ken Souter but don't know the others.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/LFC%204%20lcm.jpg

Fred Pinchin on the left, owner of Luton Flying Club, Ken Cartwright in the middle, Napier pilot, and I think the other person is Mike Strangways, in the older Flying Club, the farm buildings alongside the control tower. Must be late 50s I would think.

LTNman
19th Feb 2016, 05:50
That building looks a bit rough around the edges and not very inviting and seems to be WW2 vintage. I see it had a stage and piano so some good times must have been had there. I wonder it is also doubled up as maybe a location for Percivals sports and social club which I have read was quite active.

The world and the airport has changed so much since those days. I would love to step back in time and have a wander around Luton as it must have been a fascinating place.

staircase
19th Feb 2016, 06:37
I did my 30 hours flying scholarship at Luton in 1967. The club house was still being used as a ‘doss house’ then. There was mention of the greasy spoon. My mates mum was the manageress, and is still alive, so I will not mention the comment of more grease than spoon! Britannia Airways buildings were between the greasy spoon and the tower. It was interesting reading about the Autair catering. The photo 1215 and the comments in 1217 jogged the memory. After finishing my 30 hours, I got a summer job with Harry Carras Catering. They did the catering for Autair, and were based in the buildings mentioned in 1215, and I remember going into Autair ops to get the flying programme each shift.

One day I walked in and Hazelden was briefing a pilot for a Herald base check. I looked interested and asked if I could come, and was taken!!! No idea what was going on but what a memory to have. The final words spoken to me by the great man were after we landed. The engines stopped and he came out of the cockpit, saw me in the front row of seats, and said;

‘Good god, I forgot you were here. Did you enjoy it?’

The flying bit of the flying club, was by then in the buildings attached to the hanger where the club aeroplanes were kept. We rarely used the main runway, using the grass strips instead. I don’t remember the commercial traffic being a problem, although perhaps we were a problem to them.

vintage ATCO
19th Feb 2016, 06:51
The Flying Club building is the one on the right in this pic. Sorry, poor shot but taken by me in 1960 - Turbi G-AOTK and DH.82 G-AOGS.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/G-AOTK%201960.jpg

It was the one that someone tried to rearrange by starting an unchocked Messenger

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/messenger.jpg

Sorry to monopolise this forum.

vintage ATCO
19th Feb 2016, 06:59
staircase - apologies to your mate's mum!

I started work there in 1967 so we must have spoken over the telephone. I remember Hedley Hazelden; he was Handley Page's chief test pilot before Autair and was flying the prototype Herald (with four Alvis Leonides engines) that suffered an engine fire en-route Farnborough and he had to put it down in a field. I believe his wife was on board.

Haraka
19th Feb 2016, 07:09
Had my first flight in 1957 after winning ten bob on the fruit machine in that bar ( immediately appropriated by my father for "savings" ).
The Messenger incident of course made "The Luton News" and also, IIRC , included a shot taken from inside the Club showing the nose framed in the hole.
Vintage ATCO , please continue to post these classic pictures and reminiscences!

LTNman
19th Feb 2016, 07:21
Sorry to monopolise this forum.

I am hearing tales and seeing photos that that are putting events onto the web that could be lost forever with the passage of time. Keep them coming please as you and others are providing valuable information about the history of Luton that will no doubt be dug out in the future when the next history of Luton Airport is published when the airport reaches its 100th birthday.

OUAQUKGF Ops
19th Feb 2016, 09:04
Sorry to be a pedant but Hazel's Herald that force landed at Milford, Surrey had by that time been re-engined with Darts. I too had a joy ride on one of Hazel's training details, at one stage we became slightly lost. I've recounted the tale elsewhere on Pprune so I won't bore even more of you with it.

Fortunately there was not too much bull around in those days and ops staff were welcome to joy-ride and sometimes could even take along a pal to act as ballast.

I recall riding on an Ambassador one dark winter's evening. The aircraft was due off check and needed an air test. Everything was set up for a departure after lunch. However as is sometimes the case the crew were left kicking their heels because the aircraft was late out of the hangar and didn't turn up on to the ramp until late afternoon. It was thought that the air test would take less than an hour. Having finished my shift I went along for the ride. It was growing dark as we took off. With me in the cabin was a flying spanner - it might have been Stuart Clegg or Pete Hart - can't remember now. Anyway after at least an hour and a half we were still airborne - all checks long completed. Another 45 minutes passed still no indication of a descent. Peering out of the window it looked as black as a badger's anus - not a light to be seen. Looking through the cockpit door one could see the pilots in animated conversation and charts all over the place.

A few minutes later I glanced out of the window, nothing and then suddenly I could see breakers crashing on to the shore. Landfall! We arrived at Luton about twenty minutes later. No mention was ever made of our little expedition over the North Sea.

vintage ATCO
19th Feb 2016, 09:32
Yes, you're right, it was G-AODE after being re-engined. I had always thought it was the four engine one. Never assume. :)

Offchocks
19th Feb 2016, 10:36
vintage ATCO, you are correct about Hazel having his wife on board when he put the Herald down in a field. I flew with him as an FO quite a few times in the mid 70s when we were both with Air Anglia based in ABZ, a very interesting gentleman!

Wageslave
19th Feb 2016, 11:13
What was Mike Strangway's history at LTN? I knew him at Cranfield in the early '80s but know nothing of his career and background.

Anyone able to fill in some detail?

hatters united
19th Feb 2016, 12:03
vintage ATCO.

I don,t think the gentleman in the picture is Mike Stangways, it looks a little on the tall side for Mike, ( he was only about 5ft 2inches at most ) and I do not think he was around the airport in the 50,s.

wageslave.
Mike Stangways worked for Autair Helicopters at the airport, they had a worldwide operation at one time before Bristow Helicopters ever started. When the Autair was sold to become CourtLine, the helicopter company was retained by Mr Armstrong, ( I think that was his name ) and was then run by Jimmy Harper.
Mike then went on to form Trent Helicopters in the blister hanger next to the Luton Flying Club hanger, they operated Bell 47 and Jetrangers and set up a flying school at Cranfield for British Airways Helicopters to carry out ab initio training on the student coming out of the Hamble training facility. They were in batches of 10, three times a year. The Chief Pilot of Trent Helicopters was the late David Dixon who went on to set up Sloane Helicopters at Sywell.

vintage ATCO
19th Feb 2016, 12:31
Hmm, wrong guess then. The figure seems so familiar, just can't put a name to him. Here's another view

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/LFC%203.jpg

Any good?

Democritus
19th Feb 2016, 13:10
That doesn't look like Mike Strangways to me either - Mike passed away in April 2010. It was Bill Armstrong who was part of Autair Helicopters. Jimmy Harper's son, Peter, was a Fleet Air Arm helicopter test pilot and in 1966 I believe he was the youngest ETPS graduate ever (I think he was 23) - I was on the same Squadron as him and much later in the 80's we flew together many times when he was the Chief Helicopter Test Pilot in the CAA. Sadly he died from Parkinson's at the age of 72 recently and his funeral is taking place as I type this. Gutted that I only found out last night.

Trent's was a good organisation - we took a couple of their graduates in BCAL Helicopters - both excellent piots who have done well for themselves.

I may be wrong but I don't think it was David Dixon who set up Sloane Helicopters at Sywell - David George certainly owned it when I used to hangar a helicopter there in 73/74. People and associated time scales sometimes get a bit mixed up though when I look that far back!

hatters united
19th Feb 2016, 13:36
Democritus,
David Dixon left Trent employment shortly before they went into receivership and joined up with David George who had just formed Sloane Helicopters ( and still owns the company ) to market and sell the new Robinson R.22. They initially used a portacabin at Cranfield and purly sold and trained the new owners. It was several years later, when Dick Sanford left Helitech at Luton Airport and joined Sloane that the hangers were built at Sywell and all operations were transferred.

hatters united
19th Feb 2016, 13:45
vintage ATCO.

Had a brainwave...I think the guy might be Fred Pinchins brother, can not remember his name though. I seem to recall seeing him around and have a vague recollection of Fred having a brother, or that might be my memory cells lapsing ?
I certainly remember Freds son John and his daughter Samanther.

mpenage
19th Feb 2016, 15:15
vintage ATCO:

Bernie Pinchin, Fred's brother was in charge of all the Britannia Airways Apprentices in the early 1970s. I was one of them, I think that's him in the picture.

vintage ATCO
19th Feb 2016, 15:43
Yes, that must be it, looks like Fred! Well done.

hatters united
19th Feb 2016, 15:46
empanage;

Your absolutely right. Bernie was Freds brother name and I,m fairly sure that is him in the picture. It,s all coming flooding back now :bored:

Democritus
19th Feb 2016, 15:58
hatters - I think we're talking different eras here. When I was at Sywell in 73/74 Sloanes had bought up a number of ex-RN Hiller 12E's and were involved in crop spraying. I think Peter Boitel-Gill was Chief Pilot. David Dixon came along much later - the R22 wasn't in production until until 1979.

I'm aware I'm guilty of perpetuating thead drift so my apologies. Thoroughly enjoying the Luton thread - my only involvement there was with McAlpines when I used to fly in with Mohamed Al-Fayed in the late 70's so he could jet off somewhere.

Wageslave
19th Feb 2016, 16:25
Trent's was a good organisation - we took a couple of their graduates in BCAL Helicopters - both excellent piots who have done well for themselves.

Agreed, they did my civvy conversion and I think I was there with the two you mentioned, I came to BCal a year later as a refugee from the mighty Chinook and loved it.

Offchocks
19th Feb 2016, 16:38
Can anyone remember when the bar moved to across the road from the tower?

LTNman
19th Feb 2016, 16:47
I'm aware I'm guilty of perpetuating thread drift so my apologies.

You are just adding to the quality of this fascinating thread as it continues to twist and turn, thanks for your input.:ok:

hatters united
19th Feb 2016, 16:57
Democritus.
You are talking about Sloane Aviation. They were the pre runner to Sloane Aviation. David George I believe also owned Sloane Aviation, but sold out and set up Sloane Helicopters several years latter.
Sloane aviation then became March Helicopters, Mike Smith and Archie Mc Kenzie.
I am afraid that I,m getting a bit long in the tooth for putting which years on these events.
Also sorry for the thread drift.

EGGW
20th Feb 2016, 11:13
100% Bernie Pinchin in that image. I knew Mike Strangeways at Trent, when I went thru pilot training at Cranfield.

EGGW.