PDA

View Full Version : LUTON History and Nostalgia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

dixi188
24th Sep 2017, 12:45
Slight thread drift.
Night mails around Europe, single pilot.
Whose Trislander was it that bounced off the sea and broke one leg, AMS to SEN.
The only gear up landing of a fixed gear Trislander.
Pilots name was Tom xxxxxxx I think.

vintage ATCO
24th Sep 2017, 20:00
Yes they did put one in the water on short final at Copenhagen. I think it was just after we sent our female Briefing Clerk (JP) off on one such flight one night. On getting aboard she was invited to slither across the top of the cargo to the cockpit. The pilot followed her with a large hammer. "What's that for?" she asked. "To get out if we have to" came the reply. :) She went.

Stan Woolley
24th Sep 2017, 20:37
dixi188

This is the incident. I think the company Kondair was related to National, he's a lucky boy!

https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19860902-0

Border Reiver
25th Sep 2017, 20:13
You're right Stan, after your time Kondair was taken over by National.

LTNman
27th Sep 2017, 04:56
Taken when the new control tower was about to open so I guess this was around 1994.

Taxiway Alpha then only extended to the engine run up bay. By the side of the run up bay were 3 finger stands.

The building with the blue roof was built as a domestic terminal but never brought into service. In this photo a sign shows it as an executive terminal just before it became Easyjet's new orange HQ. The building was knocked down a couple of years ago to be replaced by a multistory car park.

https://i.imgur.com/KIGSS2J.jpg?1

Level bust
27th Sep 2017, 10:25
Picture taken by me I believe!

LTNman
27th Sep 2017, 22:14
Thought I had taken it as part of a set just before the tower went live.

mustbeaboeing
27th Sep 2017, 22:37
I thought the airport was going to offer the Tower (Visual Control Room) as a place to hold parties, between its finishing and opening for operations. We operators were advised we may see coloured lights etc emanating from there. Did any even happen?

vintage ATCO
28th Sep 2017, 09:04
Between the tower completion and it going operational (late 94/early 95) we held VIP breakfasts, lunches and dinners there for airlines, tour operators and anyone else we were trying to impress. I ate for the company on many occasions :) There were no coloured lights however.

Level bust
28th Sep 2017, 10:13
Not sure when it was taken though!

sycamore
29th Sep 2017, 11:01
Il-76 and Tu -134..?

ATNotts
29th Sep 2017, 11:06
Il-76 and Tu -134..?

I can see the IL-76, the other looks more like a 3-holer to me, I'd put my money on a 727.

LTNman
29th Sep 2017, 11:34
This is going back years but I think the IL-76 was on hire to Air Foyle and was on standby in case of some oil disaster at sea. Must have been a rather boring time for the crews as the aircraft hardly ever moved for months at a time.

treadigraph
29th Sep 2017, 11:54
I'd put my money on a 727

Definitely a 727, looks like an executive 200?

Chidken Sangwich
29th Sep 2017, 12:02
I can see the IL-76, the other looks more like a 3-holer to me, I'd put my money on a 727.

UR78755 and B722 VR-CBQ.

LTNman
29th Sep 2017, 13:04
UR78755 and B722 VR-CBQ.

X-ray eyes comes to mind:eek:

YVRLTN
30th Sep 2017, 02:19
UR78755 and B722 VR-CBQ.

What about the prop next to it, looks like C212?

ATNotts
30th Sep 2017, 08:54
What about the prop next to it, looks like C212?

I'd say a Rockwell Aerocommander.

DaveReidUK
30th Sep 2017, 10:16
I'd say a Rockwell Aerocommander.

Yes, the tailplane dihedral would rule out a CASA.

LTNman
30th Sep 2017, 19:34
Wonderful photo that has been digitised from a slide by Howard Sanderson. Nice view of the hangar conversion to allow the Tristar to fit inside the hangar.

What was that concrete tower in the background?

https://i.imgur.com/xvNcBjq.jpg

Tempsford
30th Sep 2017, 23:31
There was an engine test cell down there. Might have something to do with it?

LTNman
2nd Oct 2017, 04:47
Remembering Monarch who was 50 years old, for me they have always been there at Luton. Bigger than Courtline this is a bad day for Luton. We will talk in the years to come with affection about Monarch like we do about Courtline.
https://i.imgur.com/D4fDTJx.jpg

Photo by Howard Sanderson

dc9-32
2nd Oct 2017, 05:29
Monarch was the airline that kick started my career in aviation back in 1981. Best company I have ever worked for (except my own of course).....

When I see how the German government keeps Air Berlin afloat, and how the Irish Aviation Authority appear to do or say nothing over the Ryanair shambles that is filling the headlines, and see Monarch, an institution as far as I am concerned, be allowed to fold over night, it makes me wonder is being British a good thing ?

All airlines need money, that is obvious but they also need help sometimes and some airlines deserve it more than others. Ryanair deserve to go next after years of abusing staff and passengers in one way or another.

At least Monarch can hold it's head up high and say they never treated staff/pax poorly.

Sad day for UK aviation.

treadigraph
2nd Oct 2017, 08:01
I think Monarch was the last survivor "as was" of the significant independent British airlines operating when I first started getting interested around 1974. Air Anglia, Britannia, British Caledonian, BMA, Invicta, Dan-Air, BIA, BAF, Laker... Courtline had already gone... Apart form BA, the only others I can think of still operearting are Aurigny and Loganair and I think Loganair are BA aren't they?

Very sad.

Groundloop
2nd Oct 2017, 09:05
I think Loganair are BA aren't they?

No. They were once a BA franchise partner. Then a Flybe franchise partner. Now neither.

cj241101
2nd Oct 2017, 10:25
Monarch was the airline that kick started my career in aviation back in 1981. Best company I have ever worked for

Sad day for UK aviation.

Ditto to all of the above. 1977-1993 in my case. Best memories of a 40+ year career in aviation.

Sad for the passengers of course - very distressing having lost their holidays but most likely will get their money back. I have greater sympathy for the staff, a few of whom have shown incredible loyalty down the years and whom I have worked with at some stage. Hopefully another airline will seize the opportunity, set up a Luton operation and take on at least some of those who have lost their jobs.

22/04
2nd Oct 2017, 11:15
Like so many others, Monarch have been a big part of things for me. On my first visit to the spotters back gate on April 5th 1968, Britannia G-AOVI departed for Madrid. I have flown on their aircraft from Britannia (G-AOVG) to Airbus 321 (G-OZBE). I expected them to stagger on; they had been through bad times before.

Blacksheep
2nd Oct 2017, 12:26
I think Monarch was the last survivor "as was" of the significant independent British airlines operating when I first started getting interested around 1974.They were even older than BA - which was formed by merging the former loss making BOAC and BEA in the seventies. Had they not been government owned they would both have gone to the wall as well.

GAZIN
2nd Oct 2017, 17:12
Very sad news.
They were one of the last British independants from the 60's era.
Technically I think Britannia are still going. I am fairly sure that you could have worked for them in the 70's and still be employed today at Thomson.

Groundloop
2nd Oct 2017, 18:58
and still be employed today at Thomson

Not Thomson anymore - it's TUI.

LTNman
4th Oct 2017, 16:46
Over the years Monarch had a selection of tail colour schemes, this is I think number 3. All the airport buildings in the background are also long gone.

https://i.imgur.com/rsMzQtn.jpg

India Four Two
4th Oct 2017, 17:07
LTNman,

Thanks for that nice picture. I had never realized how big the Britannia is, compared to a Comet.

LTNman
4th Oct 2017, 21:25
Never noticed it before but now you mention it, it has got me thinking.

The tail on the Britannia covers a huge area compared to the Comet. Why would there be such a size difference?

ZeBedie
4th Oct 2017, 22:18
The engines of the Brit are further outboard than those of the Comet.

Offchocks
5th Oct 2017, 19:31
LTNman thanks for posting that photo of the Monarch 1-11 framed by B720 tails, any idea which winter it was taken in?

Spiney Norman
6th Oct 2017, 00:37
LTNman thanks for posting that photo of the Monarch 1-11 framed by B720 tails, any idea which winter it was taken in?

It’s certainly a very nice picture of the aircraft but also features the Tels Viva van! I can’t describe how cold a morning like that used to feel as I left the warmth of ATC to carry out the airfield surface inspection at the end of a long night duty! The Viva was shear luxury as it had a decent heater but was unsuitable for inspecting the grass runways. Our usual mount was a very ancient Land Rover which looked and felt as if it had been used in multiple ram raids. It was pepperred with holes that let in the freezing cold/rain/snow/soup or anything else that was guaranteed to make your life a misery. It may have had a crash gearbox, or it might just have been that the synchromesh had given up the ghost years ago. The windscreen wipers were the size of lollipop sticks and were so slow that anything more than the odd spot of precipitation would overwhelm them. After escaping back into the warm one was so numbed that occasionally the poor runway inspector would depart for home and bed with the vehicle keys in his/her pocket thus bringing down the wrath of Tels on their head. Happy days!

LTNman
6th Oct 2017, 06:26
Ha ha, if you think you had it tough then think about the poor firemen who were sent to the raised huts to constantly count runway lights when Luton was in fog.

Not a job for wimps I would have thought. Did they have heaters and windows in those sheds on stilts?

The photo owner has been given a link to this thread so should read your comment. If he knows he can message me via facebook and I will report back.

dixi188
6th Oct 2017, 08:57
I think it is probably winter 81 or 82.
We had a lot of snow at Gatwick about then.

Spiney Norman
6th Oct 2017, 12:26
Ha ha, if you think you had it tough then think about the poor firemen who were sent to the raised huts to constantly count runway lights when Luton was in fog.

Not a job for wimps I would have thought. Did they have heaters and windows in those sheds on stilts?

The photo owner has been given a link to this thread so should read your comment. If he knows he can message me via facebook and I will report back.

LTNman.
Pretty sure they had windows but no heat or electrical power. I certainly do sympathise and often did when I was sitting in the warm taking those readings on the RVR notepad. The nights when Luton was in fog in those days seemed very fequent, but perhaps that’s a standard trick of memory like glorious summers when you’re a kid.
Just popping back to the Monarch 1-11 photo above. It seemed a fairly regular occurance for the 1-11 to suffer a minor starting issue. The subject turbine would be wound up with an increasing whine which would suddenly become a rising and falling note sometimes requiring a re-start. Occasionally this would require an engineer from Airline Engineering to attend with a tall step ladder. He would then open a portion of engine cowling and appeared to hit an accessory on the engine which would cause the warbling sound to stop. Cowl shut, Engineer departs, aircraft calls for taxy. I never heard an explanation of what exactly was going on. Perhaps someone here may know?

rogerg
6th Oct 2017, 15:57
Had to do it a few times as a 1-11 pilot. Once down route in Tripoli and we were very keen to leave. I seem to remember it was a valve in the pneumatic starting system playing up. There was also one in the sub wing to the engine cowl, and we had a rod thing in the cockpit to give it a twist. As you were locking up the cowl it was a bit noisy!!
All part of the fun in those days.

staircase
6th Oct 2017, 16:00
The 1-11 engines, as perhaps are all large jet engines, were started by air. This can be taken from the APU or a ground source.

You pressed the start switch on a 1-11 and it opened the air valve in the engine cowling to allow the high pressure air to the engine start system.

Only on the 1-11 the said valve was notorious for sticking, and this could be cured by giving it a ‘whack’. Not hard enough to damage it, but hard enough to encourage the valve to open.

I well remember being the captain of a DAN 1-11 when the valve didn’t open in Toulouse one afternoon. I left the F/O in the jet, stationed a member to the handling crew at the front to give the F/O the thumbs up when I was ready, and then hitting the valve with the rubber bit of the fire axe – all watched by some passengers looking out of the terminal window and the rear of the aeroplane.

It was certainly in the stub wing, and it was very noisy closing the the cowling up after the start. I don't remember any rod to twist, but it was over 25 years ago. Lets see 25 multiply by 365 and then by 2 pints a night and the memory may not be that sharp!

Hey ho – interesting times.

Spiney Norman
6th Oct 2017, 16:27
Thanks guys! Excellent. I thought the engineers were hitting something but from my seat in GMC it was difficult to see, even with binoculars! They seemed to use the aircraft engineers equivalent of a panel beating hammer.

On the Monarch aicraft starting issue ..The Boeing 720B. I remember that on occasion they were started by an air start compressor that was connected by some sort of trunking to the aircraft belly? I do remember an incident when the ‘trunking’ either ripped or the coupling to the aircraft became detached leaving it snaking around like a demented Python. However, my personal favourite was the spectacular flame from each Proteus as a Bristol Britannia started. Sadly something that we won’t see again.

Tempsford
6th Oct 2017, 18:16
As one of the Airline Engineering guys who applied a ‘calculated tap’ to the Spey I can tell you that it was the CSDS PRV that we ‘tapped’. The mechanism was prone to sticking. I have seen various implements used, including a chock. The start up was always a waiting game to see if the engine started or the CSDS Drive sheared. Prior to this happening you would hear a ‘zing’ as it sheared leaving you in no doubt what the problem was.

Tempsford
6th Oct 2017, 18:22
The Air Start unit used to start the 720 plugged into the l/h fuselage just fwd of the wing. This noisy beast was also very heavy. Towing it slowly was advisable as it took some stopping. On the flight deck one day the aircraft was jolted violently to the left. Rushing downstairs we discovered that an air start had disconnected from the tow vehicle when being positioned and embedded itself in the rear fuselage by the aft cargo hold. Morning departures for up to 6 720 normally parked next to each other within a few minutes of each other was always exciting. Lots of noise, movement and......oh the memories.

cj241101
6th Oct 2017, 19:57

G-BFMI was Monarch's 1st 707, a -123B, delivered on 5/3/78 in bare metal IIRC, sold to Cyprus as 5B-DAK 9/2/79. Therefore winter 78/79, quite possibly early Jan '79 following snowfall on New Years Eve 31/12/78 which hit Gatwick and Heathrow ahead of Luton and brought in 3 Laker DC-10's along with many other diverted flights.

Love the photo by the way.

pabely
6th Oct 2017, 21:13
I remember that day, two on "The Pond" the third left on the Alpha taxiway and passengers left for hours. Only Bravo in use after that though not much else got in due to the number of EGKK diverts.

Offchocks
7th Oct 2017, 04:51
quite possibly early Jan '79 following snowfall on New Years Eve 31/12/78 which hit Gatwick and Heathrow ahead of Luton

Thanks cj241101 my thoughts as well, I was a brand new to Monarch at the time and we had to go to Perpignan for our initial flight training (circuits) due to all the snow in the UK. A fabulous introduction for a young lad to his new Airline!

LTNman
7th Oct 2017, 07:12
I remember that day, two on "The Pond" the third left on the Alpha taxiway and passengers left for hours. Only Bravo in use after that though not much else got in due to the number of EGKK diverts.

Ah, these two then. I think some folk here have remarkable memories. Either that or extraordinary days at Luton are burned into peoples memories.

https://i.imgur.com/Jt2MkfO.jpg

compton3bravo
7th Oct 2017, 08:23
Probably both LTMan. No Thameslink or M25 in those days. Down M1 to the North Circular, then over Kew Bridge and wind your way across to the A217 to Reigate and on to Gatwick. I remember a very nice Little Chef (when they were good) just before Gatwick that did a very nice breakfast served by a very good looking blonde lady. I digress. Coaches used to get pax back to Gatwick I suppose Seamarks, Richmonds and Crawley Luxury, the latter two still going strong.

pabely
7th Oct 2017, 08:48
That's them! I was going to dig out some pictures myself but mine would have been from the spectators enclosure. I had conned my dad in taking me up on a Sunday morning as I wasn't going up on my push bike.
RIP Dad, hope you are still enjoying your touch and goes on 24/06.

cj241101
7th Oct 2017, 10:07
Ah, these two then. I think some folk here have remarkable memories. Either that or extraordinary days at Luton are burned into peoples memories.

Or you were a mega-anorak who recorded days like this with meticulous detail, not just aircraft movements but also including where they were parked and what the weather was like....

I was working a night shift (2000-0800) on 31/12/78. Management had struck a deal for us to start early at 1700 and finish after the last movement, which was the regular Sunday Austrian DC-9 STD 2150. Then everyone was expecting to go to a New Years Eve party. Temperature was already down to -5º when I arrived for my shift to be greeted by the sight of 4 diverted Dan Airs, a couple of Lufthansa 737's and the 2 Laker DC-10's on stands 16/17. It was dark, so I didn't realise taxiway Alpha was home to the 3rd Laker DC-10 and a Sterling Caravelle. A Lufthansa 727-200 and a Midland DC-9-14 had already departed after diverting in earlier. Snow moved in during the evening dropping the temperature down to -7º but the airport must have stayed open, with the Austrian managing to get in and out on time. Needless to say, with the ongoing situation and the threat of more diverted flights, no-one got away for their planned parties until after midnight, around 0100 in my case.

LTNman
9th Oct 2017, 08:08
Ex RAF but I can't tell which airline.

https://i.imgur.com/UyPmQXx.jpg

pabely
9th Oct 2017, 09:38
Geminair 9G-ACE?

Snarlingdog
9th Oct 2017, 15:20
@LTNman (or anyone)

The old Spittlesea Hospital Main Building (now used by SixT) has to be the oldest original building on the site but what can you tell us about Hangar 24?

I'd hazard a guess that it's very much the last man standing in term of oldest airport buildings. (there is/was a photo of it being built somewhere in this forum). Is it now a listed building? Was it of any significance?

cj241101
9th Oct 2017, 16:22
Ex RAF but I can't tell which airline. Photo by Howard Sanderson

My vote is for Geminair, although Aer Turas did have EI-BDC which flew in RAF colours and no titles. The photo above has the flag, titles and tail logo just visible which looks like the Geminair 9G-ACE

https://i.imgur.com/2kI9Eat.jpg
22/8/76

vintage ATCO
9th Oct 2017, 17:06
The old Spittlesea Hospital Main Building (now used by SixT) has to be the oldest original building on the site but what can you tell us about Hangar 24?

The Monarch hangars (7/8) are pretty old - they had Luton Corporation on the front of them - as is hangar 9 next to them. Hangar 24 is behind hangar 9 although I suspect all have been re-clad over the years. Hangars 7/8 were extended.

Here is a pic from 1938. Another hangar going up next to hangar 24 (was this hangar 22?)

https://i.imgur.com/gRdjQgK.jpg

LTNman
9th Oct 2017, 17:23
@LTNman (or anyone)

I'd hazard a guess that it's very much the last man standing in term of oldest airport buildings. (there is/was a photo of it being built somewhere in this forum). Is it now a listed building? Was it of any significance?

Hangar 24 is the present Motor Transport and Airport Maintenance Department building. It can't be listed as it is due to be demolished to make way for a dual carriageway within the next year or two. It was the middle one of a set of 3 type T2 hangars that became landlocked as the airport expanded and is the only hangar not to be re-clad. Next to it stands another T2 with the third one being demolished a few years ago. There is another one on the hangar line but again has been re-clad or maybe it got demolished and rebuilt?

I think the oldest hangars are the former Monarch hangars 7 & 8 but they gained height in the 60's but I don't know if they were rebuilt or just made taller.

https://i.imgur.com/fCuqcmx.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/kDjk54U.jpg

Hangar 24 is behind hangar 9 although I suspect all have been re-clad over the years. Hangars 7/8 were extended.

I think your photo shows hanger 24 under construction. A quick spin on street view shows hanger 24 is opposite Monarch hangar 127

mustbeaboeing
9th Oct 2017, 21:35
I am intrigued as to the purpose of the 'second line' of hangars, being called 22, 24 etc. As they are away from the grass airfield line. Were they built for the construction of aircraft / components, rather than the storage of aeroplanes ? As they were no doubt called in those days

treadigraph
9th Oct 2017, 22:07
Geminair, another airline I'd forgotten... 9G-ACE was a regular at Gatwick.

LTNman
9th Oct 2017, 22:26
I am intrigued as to the purpose of the 'second line' of hangars, being called 22, 24 etc. As they are away from the grass airfield line. Were they built for the construction of aircraft / components, rather than the storage of aeroplanes ? As they were no doubt called in those days

I think I have a photo somewhere of Percival’s using one of the 3 hangars for aircraft storage. Apart from that single photo I have never seen any aircraft parked outside or inside any of those hangars.

Also worth noting is that the T2’s are clustered together rather than the standard practice of spreading the hangars around the airfield so they could not have been built for the RAF who did have a squadron based at the airfield for a short time.

Madmatt
10th Oct 2017, 02:33

Hangar 24 has been used for airport vehicle maintenance for many years(since at least before 1990) on the ground floor anyhow.
Going inside there was storage in an upper level for Monarch aircraft spares, mainly BAC1-11 and Boeing 720 spares, this was at least whilst I worked for monarch between 1989 and 1999.
I believe in the very early days the Hangar was owned by Percival’s and Jet Provosts were assembled there.

LTNman
10th Oct 2017, 13:54
This is the only grainy photo I can find of inside what might have been one of the 3 T2 hangers at Luton. These aircraft were in storage waiting to go to Gravesend for finishing.

https://i.imgur.com/ZBuaG02.jpg

vintage ATCO
10th Oct 2017, 19:17
The rear hangars were far more open in the early days. Here is a pic from, I would think, late 40s so they presumably were used for aircraft.

https://i.imgur.com/8OjUUBb.jpg

LTNman is right in that hangar 24 is not directly behind hangar 9 but the next one along.

When I first started cycling to the airport c1960 the front of hangar 9 was used by Percivals for their flight line aircraft and the rear by Luton Flying Club until they moved to the hangar vacated by McAlpines when they moved to the east end of the apron (a former Blackbushe hangar I was told). Clear?

l.garey
11th Oct 2017, 07:08
Those last two photos indicate how successful the Proctor was, and how useful the folding wings were for hangar storage.

The aerial shot is about how I remember it from a visit I made there in 1958 by Tiger Moth during my PPL at Cambridge.

Laurence

Tony Mabelis
11th Oct 2017, 09:12
What a super picture of the hangar full of Proctor's!
Lovely aircraft, its a pity about the glue they used.
Tony

Haraka
12th Oct 2017, 05:54
I would suggest that in the second shot, the majority of the single engined aircraft in front of the hangars are Prentices, with a Prince lower right.

l.garey
12th Oct 2017, 07:10
On getting out the magnifying glass, I think you're right, Haraka. In fact I think I can see some RAF roundels on the wings.

Laurence

LTNman
12th Oct 2017, 07:33
Another hangar shot but this time the hangar has been identified as hangar 9, which is next to the corporation hangar and was used as a service and repair centre.

https://i.imgur.com/8hvfZUq.jpg

Haraka
12th Oct 2017, 07:44
On getting out the magnifying glass, I think you're right, Haraka. In fact I think I can see some RAF roundels on the wings.

Laurence
......and the turned up wingtips.

l.garey
12th Oct 2017, 08:07
Talking about RAF roundels, I can see them on the front Proctor, and on the one behind it there is also a serial ?DX243, which would make it a Mk III built by F Hills. Would it have been flown to Luton for distribution?

Laurence

LTNman
13th Oct 2017, 13:51
When one starts to get old Sky Movies is dropped for the Talking Pictures channel which shows black and white movies and series. This from the 1960 series Scotland Yard

https://i.imgur.com/nn06oTw.jpg

McAlpine's first hangar in the background together with an advert for Derby Airways
https://i.imgur.com/bjwdO6g.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RweVLQ9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zzrLW8F.jpg

Turning into Percival Way from the old approach road
https://i.imgur.com/W8YkopA.jpg

LTNman
17th Oct 2017, 08:45
Ready for delivery from the repair unit.

https://i.imgur.com/47cR9VV.jpg

l.garey
17th Oct 2017, 08:56
Impressive!
Laurence

Pain in the R's
17th Oct 2017, 16:33
What aircraft is to the right of the police car?

kenparry
17th Oct 2017, 16:41

A Percival Provost T1.

l.garey
17th Oct 2017, 16:52
In 2573, the front Proctor seems to be NP329. That would be a Mk IV, built by F Hills. It has more cabin glazing, being bigger than the Mk III, and this one has a large aerial over the cabin, that the ones behind it do not, and also what appears to be a DF antenna in a Perspex dome. Is that right?

Laurence

LTNman
17th Oct 2017, 17:23
The text associated with the photo states there is P229 mark 4, LZ572 which is a mark 3 and Z7189 which is a mark 2. Blowing up the photo the first aircraft has been listed wrong and should read NP229.

Pain in the R's
17th Oct 2017, 17:29
A Percival Provost T1.

Thanks. Just like to say this is a great thread will all its twists and turns from the 30's to I guess the 90's.

l.garey
18th Oct 2017, 07:47
LTNman: OK, it could be NP229, which is still a Mark IV. Was this Perspex dome a regular feature? I just Googled "Percival Proctor", Images, and see the dome with a DF aerial inside on a few of the photos (and a model), but most do not have it.

I'll also take this opportunity to say what a fantastic thread this is: it's one of my regulars.

Laurence

DaveReidUK
18th Oct 2017, 08:19
LTNman: OK, it could be NP229, which is still a Mark IV. Was this Perspex dome a regular feature? I just Googled "Percival Proctor", Images, and see the dome with a DF aerial inside on a few of the photos (and a model), but most do not have it.

NP229 was one of a batch of Proctor IVs that went to the French Air Force for use by ERN (Ecole des RadioNavigants) 703 at Pau.

https://www.aviarmor.net/aww2/_photo_trainer/_gb/percival_proctor/p30_proctor_c1.jpg

LTNman
18th Oct 2017, 17:17
What was the perspex dome used for?

Stan Woolley
18th Oct 2017, 17:46

I don't know but I'd take a guess that it was for taking star shots for training navigators. Something like that.

oxenos
18th Oct 2017, 18:24
Since it had a D/F loop in it, and since the aircraft was used by the French School of Radio Navigation, it might just have been used for D/Fing NDBs.

l.garey
19th Oct 2017, 07:18
Yes, you can see the DF loop. I don't know when NDBs were introduced (non-directional beacons) but the loop in that dome would have been used for getting a QDM. That was a bearing from a ground station, and therefore a heading to steer to get back home. Or, if you had three bearings from different stations you could work out your position. My original question was because I didn't know that radio trainer Proctors had them, until seeing that fine photo of NP229.

Laurence

LTNman
19th Oct 2017, 08:39
I take it that DF stands for direction finding and the loop has to be manually pointed in the right direction?

https://i.imgur.com/699rtFO.jpg
photo taken at Luton

l.garey
19th Oct 2017, 09:23
Sorry for the jargon. Yes Direction Finding. I'm not sure whether the loop was motorised, but I think it was manual.
That's another lovely picture!

Laurence

dixi188
19th Oct 2017, 14:15
I remember a DF in a dome on a DH Heron.It had to be moved by winding a knob to get a Null in the tone from the BFO to get the direction to of from a beacon. IIRC.

IcePack
19th Oct 2017, 16:03
I wonder how many pilots today could carry out a let down procedure using a manual loop DF. i.e using the null Lovely to see a dedicated trainer for just that. I was taught to do them by an old Australian Pilot whilst I was operating in the Sahara. Very useful when a ADF signal was weak.

l.garey
19th Oct 2017, 16:10
We're a bit off thread for Luton, but I don't mind, having seen those lovely photos of Proctors. At least for a DF let down you would have a navigator to do the twiddling. I still recall how difficult an ADF approach was. I failed my first Instrument Rating because of that. Back to Luton.

Laurence

LTNman
19th Oct 2017, 18:55
Mk5 plus Luton's first control tower.
https://i.imgur.com/PTfnIr9.jpg

Snarlingdog
19th Oct 2017, 19:12
Bit of a Long Shot but has anyone got a recollection or even a photo of a HP Hermes at Luton?

LTNman
19th Oct 2017, 19:30
Closest one I have got is one at Bovingdon.

OUAQUKGF Ops
20th Oct 2017, 08:08
LTNMAN can you post your Hermes photo on the RAF Bovingdon in The Sixties thread which you will find somewhere in History and Nostalgia? I would love to see it. Thanks Tom.

Planespeaking
20th Oct 2017, 13:11

It looks to me like a Balliol.

l.garey
20th Oct 2017, 13:15
Not a Balliol: it's a Provost alright.

Laurence

DaveReidUK
20th Oct 2017, 13:46
Not a Balliol: it's a Provost alright.

Agreed. The Balliol didn't have a radial engine, for one thing.

l.garey
20th Oct 2017, 14:33
Right. A Merlin of all things. Unmistakable. Used to see and hear them growling around Peterborough in the 1950s.

Laurence

Korolev
22nd Oct 2017, 20:34
A question: A close relative was telling me that when she was flying back from Switzerland with her children (she lived there) . Her aircraft made the most horrendous landing at Luton. Oxygen masks deployed, passengers told to brace. The engines made quite a noise, passengers got blooded, one chap looked like he had a broken arm and the aircraft nose wheel ended up in the mud. Obviously my relative was more concerned with her young family but she believed it was a Boeing 707 and they were diverted to Luton as their destination should have been Gatwick. It was traumatic and she could not remember the details so well. It may have been 1973. She eventually had her luggage sent to her.

I cannot find a reference anywhere, can anybody help ?

It will be much appreciated.

LTNman
24th Oct 2017, 06:15
Only Luton based Britannia Airways operated 707’s and that wasn’t for long. Also a 707 would not be a normal aircraft for that route. I can’t see why any other 707 would want to divert to Luton with its short runway unless the crew had no choice.

The only case I can remember where an aircraft had to divert to its nearest airport that happened to be Luton was when a British Midland aircraft possibly a 737 had double engine problems after take off from East Midlands Airport. I think some seals were missing after maintenance work spilling oil everywhere but that was year later.

boeing_eng
24th Oct 2017, 07:11
Monarch operated 707 G-AXRS around 1981......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monarch-aircraft-engineering/5198057650

There were also several 707-100's in the fleet for a period (G-BGCT & G-BFMI IIRC)

ATNotts
24th Oct 2017, 07:13
The only case I can remember where an aircraft had to divert to its nearest airport that happened to be Luton was when a British Midland aircraft possibly a 737 had double engine problems after take off from East Midlands Airport. I think some seals were missing after maintenance work spilling oil everywhere but that was year later.

737 losing two engines; that must have been an interesting, not so say lucky arrival!!!

Typo methinks, one of their three IT configured 707s I guess.

boeing_eng
24th Oct 2017, 08:13
The Midland incident was indeed a 737.....Blanking plates left off after engine borescope inspections caused oil loss in both engines (but they were still turning and burning when the aircraft arrived at LTN).....(just!)

dixi188
24th Oct 2017, 09:33
I believe most jet engines will continue to run for quite a long time without oil as the bearings are roller and ball races that don't overheat and seize very quickly.

ATNotts
24th Oct 2017, 09:54
The Midland incident was indeed a 737.....Blanking plates left off after engine borescope inspections caused oil loss in both engines (but they were still turning and burning when the aircraft arrived at LTN).....(just!)

I should read not scan; problems not "failure". Doh!

Groundloop
24th Oct 2017, 10:03
Unfortunately not that uncommon. Eastern TriStar had all 3 engines running short of oil and an RAF 146 all FOUR! All due to maintenance errors.

compton3bravo
24th Oct 2017, 10:09
If my memory serves me correctly but is not what it used be wasn't there an incident with a Phoenix Airways Switzerland Boeing 707 in 1972 when it decided to go cross country for a short while after landing on 26 bringing Mr and Mrs Frank Sinatra and there entourage to London.I cannot recall any incident with passengers on a Boeing 707 at Luton as the person described above over the last 50 years.

Snarlingdog
24th Oct 2017, 10:42

Ah I don't have enough 'Points' to post URLs but Google "Oil loss forces down BMA 737" and you'll find a summary and the accident report on the incident above.

I wonder what happened to the engineers concerned?

boeing_eng
24th Oct 2017, 10:46
B707 N108BN had a nose-leg collapse landing at LTN in 1977....'twas repaired in my old stomping ground! (H89) ;)

happybiker
24th Oct 2017, 16:12
The BMA 737 incident cost the company a few bob after they appeared at Luton Crown Court. Airline fined after plane ran out of oil | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/airline-fined-after-plane-ran-out-of-oil-1330440.html)

vintage ATCO
24th Oct 2017, 17:16
compton3bravo

Two different incidents. A Phoenix B707 did overrun rwy 26 on 30 Apr 1973 when landing in wet conditions with a 15kt tailwind. I was the tower controller. I declared an aircraft accident when it re-appeared from behind hangar 89 still going like a train.

We did not have an ILS on rwy 08 in those days and the ACR430 radar, used for half-mile SRAs, was unsuitable due weather clutter. It was not a diversion and I seem to recall the aircraft was not recovered until the next day.

N108BN B707 lost a nosewheel when landing on rwy 26 on 28 Mar 1977. It was only later we discovered 'ol' blue eyes' was onboard!

I was Manager ATC when the BMA B737-400 landed with both engines at idle and met the Captain on the runway. This was 8 Mar 1995. Both engines were streaked with large amounts of oil.

compton3bravo
24th Oct 2017, 17:24
Thank you for putting me right vintage ATCO.

DaveReidUK
24th Oct 2017, 17:54
A Phoenix B737 did overrun rwy 26 on 30 Apr 1973 when landing in wet conditions with a 15kt tailwind. I was the tower controller. I declared an aircraft accident when it re-appeared from behind hangar 89 still going like a train.

Was that the 1970s Swiss operator? Are you sure it was a 737 and not a 707?

vintage ATCO
24th Oct 2017, 18:12
Apologies - typo - it was a B707 HP310/HB-IEG I think. I'll amend my post.

dixi188
24th Oct 2017, 18:33
These days certain systems and components are deemed "Safety Critical" and must be maintained by different people or on different occasions.

ie. Oil, Fuel and Hydraulic filter maintenance, Boroscope inspection ports, starter and generator replacement, etc.

This way, if an error is made it will only affect one engine or system.

A little while ago I had a task to replace the wing front spar main attach bolts on a DHC8-Q400. This was listed as a "Safety Critical" task. Now these bolts are very important, but if one side was cocked up and the wing came off, the other side would be pretty useless on its own. We had a smile at that idea.

YVRLTN
24th Oct 2017, 19:43
Does anyone remember a Do228 operator City Airbus and even better have a photo? Found nothing online, but they were HUY based and covered for Suckling so would have been early 90's.

cj241101
24th Oct 2017, 23:06
A question: A close relative was telling me that when she was flying back from Switzerland she believed it was a Boeing 707 and they were diverted to Luton as their destination should have been Gatwick.

probably this one, dated 30/4/73, Phoenix Airways HB-IEG
https://i.imgur.com/Xpm8VF8.jpg?1

cj241101
24th Oct 2017, 23:24
Does anyone remember a Do228 operator City Airbus and even better have a photo? Found nothing online, but they were HUY based and covered for Suckling so would have been early 90's.

City Air Bus started ops on 25/11/94 Humberside-London City using Do.228's G-BVTY and G-BVTZ. The latter aircraft went to Suckling after City Air Bus folded on 1/2/95. I did record it at Luton on 17/11/94, quite possibly operating for Suckling, no picture as such, I'm afraid.

canberra97
25th Oct 2017, 04:50
I have never heard of Phoenix Airways Switzerland before this topic was brought up which I have found interesting, as far as I am aware this airline must have been the only Swiss operator of the Boeing 707 as I have always been under the impression that the aircraft had never been on the Swiss register.

DaveReidUK
25th Oct 2017, 07:20
I have never heard of Phoenix Airways Switzerland before this topic was brought up which I have found interesting, as far as I am aware this airline must have been the only Swiss operator of the Boeing 707 as I have always been under the impression that the aircraft had never been on the Swiss register.

One other Swiss 707 (HB-IEI):

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/672/31971147690_a58451a0bc.jpg

Level bust
25th Oct 2017, 11:28
Phoenix Airways also operated a BAC 1-11, HBITL I believe.

cj241101
25th Oct 2017, 20:53
Phoenix Airways also operated a BAC 1-11, HBITL I believe.

They had a short series with HB-ITL Oct/Nov 1971 HP180/181 from and to Zurich Sat a.m. Seem to remember the aircraft was impounded for non-payment of fees early 1972 and I believe was never to visit again.
Phoenix ceased ops on 17/3/74. Both aircraft were to crash with subsequent operators - HB-IEG with LAB (Bolivia) as N730JP, crashed after take off from Santa Cruz on 13/10/76 and HB-ITL with Austral as LV-LOX crashed into the River Plate on approach to Buenos Aires 7/5/81. Phoenix also leased an ex TWA 707-131 N732TW summer 1972.

My only photo of HB-ITL was with a Kodak Instamatic is too poor to publish but try airliners.net:- Aviation Photo Search | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/search?airline=43965&display=detail)

boeing_eng
25th Oct 2017, 21:55
A interesting shot of the Phoenix 707 at LTN:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Phoenix-Boeing-707-HB-IEG-amp-3-Court-Line-BAC1-11-039-s-Luton-original-slide-/253092701715?rmvSB=true&clk_rvr_id=1345899264106&nma=true&si=USC0%252BObhtyUo9j6tBg37I8XN1KU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

cj241101
25th Oct 2017, 22:26
A interesting shot of the Phoenix 707 at LTN:

Nice line up as well. Not sure I'd have paid 10 quid for the slide, though.:eek:

Never saw HB-IEG. One time I was waiting for it to arrive it turned into a TEA 720 OO-TEA (19/4/73).

rog747
27th Oct 2017, 07:43
the other phoenix 707 leased from TWA N732TW

https://cdn.jetphotos.com/400/2/66116_1103707256.jpg
ack to the owner of said pic

saw all 3 of their a/c at PMI

LTNman
30th Oct 2017, 16:54
Fine shot of Luton with what looks like 6 Britannia's along the hangar line

https://i.imgur.com/DOtvTBE.jpg?1

boeing_eng
30th Oct 2017, 17:20
Looks like the late 70's...The Eurafric Brit (EI-BCI) is very distinctive as seen here:

Bristol Britannia 253F - Large Preview - AirTeamImages.com (http://www.airteamimages.com/bristol-britannia_EI-BCI_eurafric_40880_large.html)

vintage ATCO
30th Oct 2017, 17:54
Can't quite see enough to recognise any cars in the ATC car park!

cj241101
30th Oct 2017, 19:09

Probably taken some time in April 1977 with the Eurafric first appearing in March that year. Interconair's EI-BBY and one of the A.F.R.E.K. Brits (G-BDUP/R) behind, probably the ex-Ghana DC-8 9G-ACG next. The two in the north west corner quite possibly are AMAZ 9Q-CAJ and XL639, both of which were parked there spring 1977 and were still in RAF colours. Stand 11 maybe African Safari 5Y-AYR without the "AS" logo on the tail.
Being even more specific, the line up fits my anorak log on 9th April '77 when Geminair were occupying the gap on stand 12 with 9G-ACE. A.F.R.E.K. G-BDUP departed on 11th April at 1338, with the other aircraft present in the same places apart from 9G-ACE. The Lear Jet may be N5000B of the Ashland Oil Co. which was present on 11th on the light aircraft stand. If the photo was taken that day around lunchtime, the Bavaria Germanair A300 D-AMAY would have been out of the shot on stand 17.

Open to correction as usual, of course!

LTNman
30th Oct 2017, 19:41
I hate to think how many telephone directory sized volumes of notes you must have:eek:

No petrol station in those days either.

cj241101
30th Oct 2017, 21:07
I hate to think how many telephone directory sized volumes of notes you must have:eek:

Well I kept asking for an iPad or a laptop for Christmas but apparently they hadn't been invented, so I had to record things the old-fashioned way :hmm:. Now I'm waiting for someone to invent time travel so I can go back and fill in the gaps in my log and take some decent pictures with the digital camera I also kept asking for.

mustbeaboeing
30th Oct 2017, 22:00
Presumably the photo has been taken from a light aircraft flying roughly along the line of the then runway 18/36 ?

boeing_eng
31st Oct 2017, 15:53
Apart from H89 & H7&8 clipped at the sides of the pic, none of the other hangars survive.....

vintage ATCO
31st Oct 2017, 16:44
Has hangar 9 gone? It's the one with the Brit in front of it, right.

cj241101
31st Oct 2017, 20:42
Has hangar 9 gone? It's the one with the Brit in front of it, right.
Still there, now blue, think it was the Monarch engine bay so whether MAEL will still have a use for it remains to be seen.

boeing_eng
31st Oct 2017, 21:02
Ah...didn't count that one as it hasn't been a proper aircraft hangar for years! :}

LTNman
31st Oct 2017, 21:44
This was one of the replacement hangars for Monarch and maybe the first aircraft in.

https://i.imgur.com/MFspifG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/M9SqBdy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZGy2KGp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/FTJ7M6B.jpg

cj241101
31st Oct 2017, 22:10
Ah...didn't count that one as it hasn't been a proper aircraft hangar for years! :}
I remember Hangar 9 was home to PA-22 G-APUT around 1968. I also remember it was full of new Cessnas one day (27/11/68) when the government slapped on a big increase in import duty, so Rogers at Cranfield rushed to get around 27 new aircraft delivered from Reims to beat the increase (mostly the G-AWU_ batch). Roughly half went into hangar 9 with the rest in the old light aircraft park, now the location of hangar 127. By 1977 it was in use as a cargo shed and remained so until the cargo centre opened around 1992.

22/04
1st Nov 2017, 14:04

Those were the days. Before the petrol station the area to the north of the terminal was an unofficial spectator area from where one could watch Monarch and Invicta 720Bs starting up with the wonderful noisy ground starters- were they made by someone called something like Houchin.

YVRLTN
1st Nov 2017, 23:08
Does anyone recall an Italian Caravelle operator early 80's from Naples - Altair maybe?

LTNman
2nd Nov 2017, 07:12
They used to place adverts in the airports yearly publications.

https://i.imgur.com/HUbdph7.jpg

lotus1
2nd Nov 2017, 07:51
I remember them one caravelle had the registration I GISA and I beleive another one had a serious engine explosion at Rome which burnt the fusalge and wrote the plane off a very nice striking blue scheme last time saw them at Luton was around 85/86 got picture some where

kenparry
2nd Nov 2017, 08:03
were they made by someone called something like Houchin.

Yes; Houchin make ground support equipment, including air start compressors and towable generator sets.

They are still around: see Houchin ? ITW GSE (http://itwgse.com/int/houchin/)

dc9-32
2nd Nov 2017, 08:40
Ah Altair and the SE210 started one day with jump leads off a GPU !!

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Nov 2017, 10:14
Wasn't there also an Alitalia subsidiary that flew charters etc in Alitalia colours but with other titles (name ?) and they used Caravelles and DC-9's ? I seem to remember them in LGW and perhaps LTN and STN.

LTNman
2nd Nov 2017, 10:26
One of these?

https://i.imgur.com/9hIvGtq.jpg
Luton Anorak

https://i.imgur.com/QcVvA5z.jpg
Luton Anorak

and of course the real thing

https://i.imgur.com/VCT2wLC.jpg
Luton Anorak

lotus1
2nd Nov 2017, 10:53
Love the pictures especially in the background pink courtline tristar was this around 73/74 last time last saw this was when they went bankrupt and parked at Luton waiting for a buyer possible cathypacific great pictures

rog747
2nd Nov 2017, 11:20
SAM was a DC6 and Caravelle
the charter operator of Alitalia

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Nov 2017, 11:28
Yup! Those are the ones. Thanks for the great photos. I used to love the way the same IT charters seemed to all arrive in as a straggly squadron, no doubt to do with their Holiday company client who wanted all the passengers to be together to make logistics easier.

LTNman
2nd Nov 2017, 11:39
Next to 2 Alitalia's there seems to be another Caravelle plus another one on the pond.

boeing_eng
2nd Nov 2017, 11:41
Another pic...apparently from another div day in 1977:

https://picclick.ie/Airliner-Slide-Luton-Airport-362145157250.html#&gid=1&pid=1

G-BBEE is interesting...pretty sure it was the first Learjet on the UK register....puzzling to see the Tridents (thought they were CAT 3B by then?)

rog747
2nd Nov 2017, 12:25
Yup! Those are the ones. Thanks for the great photos. I used to love the way the same IT charters seemed to all arrive in as a straggly squadron, no doubt to do with their Holiday company client who wanted all the passengers to be together to make logistics easier.

some useless info below lol :ok::):)

the LTN tour companies 60's-80s'

CIT for Italy SAM DC-6 Caravelle

and Yugotours were inexadria aviogenex and JAT DC9 TU134 727 707
plus Balkan Holidays and Sunquest used Tarom charters Bulair/Tabso/Balkan
IL-18 TU-154 1-11 400

Belle Air were Air Malta 720B
Lyons Tours British Midland 1-11 500
Cosmos Monarch Britannia's 720B 1-11 737-200 757
Skytours/Riviera/Gaytours/Thomson/Portland and Budget Holidays used
Britannia Britannia's 737-200 707-320C 720B
Clarksons Autair/Court 1-11 400/500 Tristar Dan Air Comet

Lunn Poly/Everyman was LHR using British Eagle Britannia's 1-11 300 707-138B then Dan Air set up the 1-11 400 fleet from LTN 1969

VistaJet Air Spain DC-8 LTN (plus MAN LGW GLA BHX)

LGW main operators were:

CIT SAM as above
Yugotours as above plus Tarom IL-62
Horizon/4S BUA 1-11 500 VC-10 (then Cale//BUA BCAL) then after buy out in 1973 Court 1-11 500 and Air Spain DC-8
Lord Bros Laker 1-11 300 707-138B DC-10 10/30
Global Caledonian 1-11 500 707-320C Cambrian 1-11 400 Dan Air Comet 727-100 BMA 1-11 500
Wings used BUA and Laker
Intasun/Lancaster Air Europe 737-200 757
Enterprise Flair Hickie Borman Martin Rooks Thomas Cook BEA airtours Comet 707-436 Tristar
Pontinental Spantax Coronado
Clarksons Dan Air Comet 727-100

from late 80's
Owners Abroad Air 2000 757
before that a huge program with Dan Air Aviaco

BHX/CDD/EMA
Horizon (midlands) Orion 737-200
British Midland 1-11 500 707-320C

LHR
Swans Tours BKS/Northeast Trident 1E
Sovereign and Silver Wing BEA/BA GibAir mainline fleet Vanguard and Trident
Cambrian 1-11 400
Cadogan BEA/BA/GibAir as above
Enterprise BOAC 747-100 (PMI)

MAN
Clarksons Dan Air Comet 727-100
Arrowsmith British Midland then Laker 1-11 300 707-138B DC-10 10/30
Thomas Cook Dan Air Comet 727-100
Global Caledonian 707-320C 1-11 500 (and GLA too) Dan Air Comet 727-100
Yugotours and Balkan Holidays as above

SEN STN
Leroy and Lyons Tours Channel Airways 1-11 400 Trident 1E Comets
Tom Hill holidays and the travel club upminster Transeuropa Caravelles

also: Spanish airlines
Aviaco was a big player with Caravelle DC8-52 & 63 DC-9 often using Iberia aircraft including their 747
Spantax flew for many holiday companies into all of the UK including BHX and EXT Coronado DC-9 15/32 DC-8 61 DC-10 30
TAE Caravelle and DC-8 32/52

BIA 1-11 400/500 were seen all over and used by many smaller tour Ops.

rog747
2nd Nov 2017, 12:27
Next to 2 Alitalia's there seems to be another Caravelle plus another one on the pond.

footie day?

rare for SAM/AZ to have 4 at once for holiday IT's

treadigraph
2nd Nov 2017, 13:30
A
G-BBEE is interesting...pretty sure it was the first Learjet on the UK register....

It was. Recall seeing it depart Heathrow 28L one afternoon in the late 1970s, held low until past T3, then into a near vertical climb to about 2000'.

lotus1
2nd Nov 2017, 14:46
I also remember the sterling caravelles landing the black smoke comming from there engines while landing was a sight .

SpringHeeledJack
2nd Nov 2017, 15:37
Not strictly LTN, but it's then poorer neighbour Stansted, used to have a Scandinvasion every sunday evening when Caravelles of Sterling, 720's of Maersk and DC8's of Sunair (?) which arrived to ferry bus loads of students etc to the UK. It seemed the busiest time of the week at an otherwise empty STN. Did LTN also have some of these aluminium armadas from Scandinavia ? I realise that UK holiday makers were flown out in several aircraft from LTN on behalf of Pontinental etc, but was the reverse with foreigners arriving en masse to savour the delights of 1970s London, also true ?

JW411
2nd Nov 2017, 17:50
Boeing Eng:

"....Puzzling to see the Tridents (thought they were CAT3B by then)"

Don't forget that although the aircraft might be certificated for CAT3B operation, that assumes that ABSOLUTELY EVERY component in the system in that specific aircraft is fully serviceable otherwise it is downgraded to CAT1.

Don't forget that every member of the crew has to have been trained in CAT3B operations and also has to be ABSOLUTELY CURRENT to be allowed to operate to CAT3B limits.

I never flew the Trident but it has happened to me on other aircraft that I have been screwed because the aircraft and I were fully current but the first officer was not.

boeing_eng
2nd Nov 2017, 18:09
Yep....fully aware of the limitations of Autoland systems (I deal with them every day!) :ok:

My hunch is that there were probably issues with LHR's ILS given the multiple a/c present....

lotus1
2nd Nov 2017, 21:11
Remember seeing Catair and Minerva caravelles as well at Luton possible ski charters or rugby charters they where the days

Luton Anorak
2nd Nov 2017, 21:46
Love the pictures especially in the background pink courtline tristar was this around 73/74 last time last saw this was when they went bankrupt and parked at Luton waiting for a buyer possible cathypacific great pictures

They were taken by me on the 14th November 1973 - there were five Caravelle's in total bringing in Italian football supporters for a game at Wembley between Italy and England (a friendly which Italy won 1-0).

jensdad
2nd Nov 2017, 21:47
I'm absolutely loving this thread, especially the photo of the four Alitalia / SAM Caravelles on the ground at the same time. I do wonder whether future generations will have the same fascination with a photo of four TUI 737s on the ground at the same time! I hope so.

LTNman
2nd Nov 2017, 23:13
The great thing about this thread is that while the common theme will always be about Luton the daily subject matter seems to cover so many different subjects. A couple of weeks ago all the posts were about Proctors, today we are talking about Italian airline Caravelles.

Hard to say when Luton had its most interesting period, as it will always be down to when people here first started wearing their rose tinted glasses.

I do remember my first visits to Luton when if I got my timings wrong there were next to no movements. Then the excitement would start to stir when I could hear a sole aircraft breaking the silence as it started its engines.

I got into the habit of timing my Sunday visits to a 3 hour time period when Luton used to get a bunch of movements over a short period before the famine started again.

Never forgot the piercing sound a BM Viscount used to make as it taxied past. It was fingers in the ears time.

LTNman
3rd Nov 2017, 05:32
Not strictly LTN, but it's then poorer neighbour Stansted, used to have a Scandinvasion every sunday evening when Caravelles of Sterling, 720's of Maersk and DC8's of Sunair (?) which arrived to ferry bus loads of students etc to the UK. It seemed the busiest time of the week at an otherwise empty STN. Did LTN also have some of these aluminium armadas from Scandinavia ? I realise that UK holiday makers were flown out in several aircraft from LTN on behalf of Pontinental etc, but was the reverse with foreigners arriving en masse to savour the delights of 1970s London, also true ?

I think Luton picked up some Scandinavian traffic for at least one year before it retreated back to Stansted.

I am assuming this day was diversions.

https://i.imgur.com/cI1LewJ.jpg
unknown

boeing_eng
3rd Nov 2017, 10:02
There was a Sterling invasion at LTN particularly on Sundays in the late 70's (as CJ has already mentioned a few pages back)

As far as interesting periods go, the lack of variety of types in the air these days will obviously make the days gone by seem far more interesting. I do recall how quiet the airport was at times in the late 70's through to the mid- 90's. However, this is what gave the airport more scope to accept a lot of diversions or a large amounts of visitors for events such as international football matches or other events as portrayed in pictures on this thread....:ok:

cj241101
3rd Nov 2017, 10:47
There was a Sterling invasion at LTN particularly on Sundays in the late 70's (as CJ has already mentioned a few pages back)

A lot of pages back, actually! (starts page 37).

Sterling switched 4 flights a week to Luton in April 1976. all Caravelles. Summer 1977 saw around 10 flights per week of which 6 were on a Sunday, including the first 727 flight Sun evening. Summer 1978 programme below (local times), with a 727 and 2 Caravelles on the ground at the same time on Sunday mornings. I suspect the photo above dates from then - definitely morning from the angle of the sun.
https://i.imgur.com/jtvys0G.jpg

cj241101
3rd Nov 2017, 11:11
I think Luton picked up some Scandinavian traffic for at least one year before it retreated back to Stansted.

Further to my previous, Sterling remained at Luton until spring 1981. Peak summer (i.e. June-August) 1978 and 1979 saw Scanair / S.A.S. with DC-8's, DC-9's and DC-10's plus flights by Kar Air, Maersk Air, Braathens, Linjeflyg and Transair Sweden. Scanair and Kar Air operated summer 1980 before defecting elsewhere.

LTNman
3rd Nov 2017, 15:05
cj241101 And there I was waiting for you to produce a photo of an Altair Caravelle

Level bust
3rd Nov 2017, 16:42
I have one, but unfortunately, it won't let me download it so I can post it!

boeing_eng
3rd Nov 2017, 18:25
Here's one of mine!....I-GISA (Circa 1982/3)....

https://filebin.net/oszs2886gluv71pf/i-gisa.jpg

LGS6753
3rd Nov 2017, 18:35
Speaking of peak days due to sports events, there was a Dutch invasion in the early 70s (?) which involved Transavia, KLM & Martinair - Caravelles, DC-8, DC-8-63, DC-9 & F28.
I remember the apron being full, but not certain when it was. I think the team was called Ajax.
Anyone have any photos of that?

LTNman
3rd Nov 2017, 18:38
I remember Altair in a 2 tone blue.

https://i.imgur.com/fkoZFbd.jpg

boeing_eng
3rd Nov 2017, 18:40
Sounds like the 1971 European Cup Final.......Ajax Vs Panathinaikos of Greece at Wembley on June 2nd....Before my time at LTN!

cj241101
3rd Nov 2017, 19:28
Speaking of peak days due to sports events, there was a Dutch invasion in the early 70s (?) which involved Transavia, KLM & Martinair - Caravelles, DC-8, DC-8-63, DC-9 & F28.
I remember the apron being full, but not certain when it was. I think the team was called Ajax.
Anyone have any photos of that?

8/4/70 Arsenal played Ajax at Highbury in the old European Fairs Cup. 3 KLM DC-8-50's, 1 KLM DC-8-63, 2 KLM DC-9-10's, 2 KLM DC-9-30's,1 Martinair DC-8-50, 1 Martinair DC-9-30, 1 Martinair F-28, 1 Transavia Caravelle. Bear in mind that Luton didn't handle large 4-engined jets (not counting the Dan Air Comet 4's and the odd BUA VC-10 on diversion), had never seen a 707 until 25/1/70 when the Caledonian example diverted in and as far as I am aware had never seen a DC-8 before, so to get FIVE of them, including a -63 (34ft longer than a 707-320C) - well, just imagine the excitement generated. Note also the nose out parking - must have been interesting on start-up. Fortunately health and safety hadn't been invented....
My photos are mostly rubbish but I'll post them here and apologise in advance for the quality.
https://i.imgur.com/TTJXneD.jpg?1
PH-MAU

https://i.imgur.com/HvIIR2V.jpg?2
PH-MAU PH-TRN PH-MAR

https://i.imgur.com/7z5JeMb.jpg?1
PH-DEF

https://i.imgur.com/4u0gVG7.jpg?1
PH-DNA

https://i.imgur.com/8Vsef9F.jpg?1
PH-TRN PH-MAR

https://i.imgur.com/fDleuib.jpg
PH-MAT G-APND 9/4/70

The European Cup Final on 2/6/71 brought in a Pomair DC-8-30, Air Commerz 707-138B, Transavia 707 and several Transavia Caravelles. (I was on holiday in Cornwall and missed everything).

cj241101
3rd Nov 2017, 19:43
cj241101 And there I was waiting for you to produce a photo of an Altair Caravelle

It was on my to-do list...
https://i.imgur.com/9p3qLZs.jpg
28/12/82

https://i.imgur.com/FXlUFKH.jpg
28/7/82

https://i.imgur.com/dV0cLdx.jpg
28/7/84

https://i.imgur.com/mRE85j3.jpg?1
16/4/83

SpringHeeledJack
3rd Nov 2017, 20:53
I'm loving the photos of the old liveries and aircraft, and if I may opine, the more raw images somehow have a charm of their own in that they were captured by a normal oik with a normal camera. A slice of LTN life back in the day.

I can't recall the airline 'Altair', but do remember seeing aircraft with that triangle on the tail, especially in the red livery and I recall seeing the Caravelles in the Air Inter livery at Paris Orly.

boeing_eng
3rd Nov 2017, 22:23
Here's an interesting DC-9 scanned from one of my prints....It visited in April 1992.....I've no idea why it came to LTN but recall it certainly excited the local spotters!....

https://filebin.net/z3vy0v4zw80lkz1o/yv21catltn.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
4th Nov 2017, 06:40
No wonder, back then the only Venezuelan visitor to the UK would've been Viasa at LHR. Is that a Fred Olsen Electra hiding behind it ?

boeing_eng
4th Nov 2017, 08:58
Indeed it is......:ok:

cj241101
4th Nov 2017, 10:53
Here's an interesting DC-9 scanned from one of my prints....It visited in April 1992.....I've no idea why it came to LTN but recall it certainly excited the local spotters!....

Aircraft was returning after lease, possibly from somewhere in the Middle East, routing Naples-Luton-Keflavik 9/10 April 1992. Had ferried eastbound via Reykjavik-Shannon-Nice on 1/2 February 1992.

I was working nights...
https://i.imgur.com/dMFyAd8.jpg

boeing_eng
4th Nov 2017, 15:32
Thanks CJ....The lease sounds possibly Hajj related...no doubt the crew were sampling the delights of London! (similar to the more recent Alaska 737 ferry flights through LTN!)

HershamBoys
4th Nov 2017, 16:23
Altair.....
GM doing Air, Altair Caravelle on tight slot approaching hold, B737 on 7 mile final. Mega delays if slot missed, so GM says to Caravelle (in his inimitable style) "Altair blah blah blah, with all the expedition you can muster, backtrack 26 !" Pregnant pause...B737 is painting bigger on the DFTI. Then, in a heavy Italian accent...."Luton, wad is dis mustad ?" He got it away.....just.

YVRLTN
4th Nov 2017, 17:30
Superb Caravelle photos... it was the ex Air Inter livery I remember.

Re the Fred Olsen Electra, were they regulars? I vaguely remember a brown/beige/white Electra with an N reg too, probably operating for ABC or Channex, anyone remember that?

Luton Anorak
4th Nov 2017, 17:43
Aircraft was returning after lease, possibly from somewhere in the Middle East, routing Naples-Luton-Keflavik 9/10 April 1992. Had ferried eastbound via Reykjavik-Shannon-Nice on 1/2 February 1992.

I was working nights...
https://i.imgur.com/dMFyAd8.jpg

It was actually returning from Tel Aviv from where it had just had it annual maintenance check!! a long way from home! - it had been on major overhaul by Israel Aircraft Industries and was returning to Aeropostal (previously it had routed Reykjavik-Shannon-Nice-Tel Aviv 1st-2nd February 1992).

boeing_eng
4th Nov 2017, 17:58
I vaguely remember a brown/beige/white Electra with an N reg too, probably operating for ABC or Channex, anyone remember that?

Sounds like N356Q which Air Bridge operated in the early 1990's

cj241101
4th Nov 2017, 21:09
Re the Fred Olsen Electra, were they regulars? I vaguely remember a brown/beige/white Electra with an N reg too, probably operating for ABC or Channex, anyone remember that?

Fred Olsen operated regularly for TNT during 1990:-
https://i.imgur.com/Ber3Kyd.jpg
1/3/90 (737-200 behind is F-GFVI of Air Charter)

ABC leased N356Q and N360Q from TPI which were reregistered N355WS and N360WS respectively. EMS N669F was another regular operating for ABC.

https://i.imgur.com/UAYtV8C.jpg
12/5/90

https://i.imgur.com/Bddai5h.jpg
21/10/89

They also leased this Electra from S.T.A.F. late 1990-1992:-
(Servicios de Transportes Aereos Fueginos - Argentinian)

https://i.imgur.com/lv8DbVn.jpg
11/11/90

22/04
4th Nov 2017, 21:37
Another football invasion was perhaps May '71, lots of Transavia Caravelles, Pomair DC8 OO-TCP and a couple of German short fuselage 707s- D-ADAQ was of them.

Ajax vs Pananthenikos (Greek spelling may be wrong)

CJ will dust off his logs again and set us right.

cj241101
4th Nov 2017, 22:32
Another football invasion was perhaps May '71, lots of Transavia Caravelles, Pomair DC8 OO-TCP and a couple of German short fuselage 707s- D-ADAQ was of them.

Ajax vs Pananthenikos (Greek spelling may be wrong)

CJ will dust off his logs again and set us right.

CJ was in Cornwall and missed everything:{:*
2nd June 1971

YVRLTN
5th Nov 2017, 03:16
What an incredible memory, thanks so much for those photos - how I miss LTN in those days... I remember the Merchantman too, was that used on regular flights?

cj241101
5th Nov 2017, 08:25
What an incredible memory, thanks so much for those photos - how I miss LTN in those days... I remember the Merchantman too, was that used on regular flights?

Air Bridge Carriers / Hunting Cargo Airlines based a Merchantman at Luton from 1979 to 1994. Originally used for 6 nights a week flying the Sun newspaper to Glasgow with an empty ferry return (AK121/122P). Saturday night I think it did a newspaper flight to Belfast. During the day it would regularly be reconfigured for horse flights, with Dublin, Beauvais and Rome-Ciampino amongst the destinations. Into the 1990's they were used on DHL flights, with a nightly Luton-Heathrow ferry (BCS412P), then Heathrow-Brussels-Luton (BCS412/411). Still used for horse flights during the day as well.

They carried a variety of colour schemes:-
https://i.imgur.com/UugbWfY.jpg
G-APES 10/11/79

https://i.imgur.com/mPLKLdx.jpg
G-APEP 26/11/82

https://i.imgur.com/ScYeJuE.jpg
G-APEP 12/1/93

https://i.imgur.com/VB4qRfF.jpg
G-APEM 19/10/90

https://i.imgur.com/MQs5oTX.jpg
G-APES 17/11/93

lotus1
5th Nov 2017, 16:43
I remember in 82 comming home from Ibiza on an early morning flight while waiting for coach back to kings cross beleive company was seemarks regular coach services I walked up to the old spectators area before reaching this there was a loud roar of props and blinding of lights it was the merchantman of air bridge fantastic sight just taxing in there was rumours they did some work during the Falklands war moving parts around also remember the falcon Electra was based at Luton and last seen in the old terminal side at stanstead nice colour scheme

Haraka
5th Nov 2017, 17:08
I remember watching the first Euravia Connies doing consolidation circuits in the very early 60's.
Even out at Stopsley their unsuppressed electrics played hell with our (B&W) tellies!

HershamBoys
5th Nov 2017, 19:03
Nothing changes. Ryanair ROMBAC 1-11s doing the left turn out off 26 and back through the overhead towards DTY drowned out any entertainment in Stopsley....

cj241101
5th Nov 2017, 19:55
SE-IVS 14/9/87
http://i.imgur.com/VfIvEUx.jpg (https://imgur.com/VfIvEUx)

lotus1
5th Nov 2017, 20:35
Great picture was that omega airs old 707 in the back ground was used a number of times by both monarch and Britannia had the EL registration last time saw this was at manston with a number of mystery 707s great pictures keep posting

cj241101
5th Nov 2017, 21:30
Great picture was that omega airs old 707 in the back ground was used a number of times by both monarch and Britannia had the EL registration last time saw this was at manston with a number of mystery 707s great pictures keep posting

TF-IUC leased by Club Air from Omega for a few months in 1987. Ex Air Mauritius 3B-NAF hence the colour scheme.

Lee Baker Street
6th Nov 2017, 02:06
The great thing about this thread is that while the common theme will always be about Luton the daily subject matter seems to cover so many different subjects. A couple of weeks ago all the posts were about Proctors, today we are talking about Italian airline Caravelles.

Hard to say when Luton had its most interesting period, as it will always be down to when people here first started wearing their rose tinted glasses.

I do remember my first visits to Luton when if I got my timings wrong there were next to no movements. Then the excitement would start to stir when I could hear a sole aircraft breaking the silence as it started its engines.

I got into the habit of timing my Sunday visits to a 3 hour time period when Luton used to get a bunch of movements over a short period before the famine started again.

Never forgot the piercing sound a BM Viscount used to make as it taxied past. It was fingers in the ears time.
A BMA Viscount was the very first aircraft I got to look around as it was being prepared for it’s next flight and I was surprised by the size of the windows and the curtains. But for some reason I loved the Boeing 720B’s operated by Monarch.

DaveReidUK
6th Nov 2017, 06:27
TF-IUC leased by Club Air from Omega for a few months in 1987. Ex Air Mauritius 3B-NAF hence the colour scheme.

I think it had been sold to Air Atlanta Icelandic by the time Club Air leased it in August/September 1987 (hence the TF- reg).

compton3bravo
7th Nov 2017, 06:28
Regarding rog747s excellent post of holiday companies/airlines, Owners Abroad used Aviaco Caravelles and DC-9s in the late 60s and early 1970s. Pegasus Holidays used Monarch B720s to the Caribbean and 1-11s on short haul, but an Austrian DC-9 was utilised on the Sunday evening flight f/t Vienna.
Anybody remember Tjaereborg Holidays (one of the first direct sell companies) in the 1980s? Of course it was connected to the Danish organisation of the same name and Sterling Airways was part of the group which was started in the early 1960s by Solid Krogager in the village of Tjaereberg in Denmark.
There a Royal Air Maroc B727 in the early 1980s for one season anybody know which tour company it was operating for.
Great pictures of the Electras and Vanguards.

rog747
7th Nov 2017, 06:44
indeed Tjaereborg Holidays had their own brochure in the UK in the 80's and were subsequently bought out by Portland Holidays - the direct sell arm of Thomson's

Panorama was another big player - forget who they usually flew with

Vista jet Holidays tied up with Air Spain when it got its DC-8's and they were a regularity at LTN often with horrendous tech delays -
my first job was with them in 1972 lol

cj241101
7th Nov 2017, 07:19
There a Royal Air Maroc B727 in the early 1980s for one season anybody know which tour company it was operating for.

Can't help with the tour company. Series was 11th May -18th October 1979, AT5144/5 from and to Tangiers, 2040/2140. Only photo I managed was this one with some of the regular Friday evening traffic as well.

https://i.imgur.com/WGe0Q5k.jpg
8/6/79

SpringHeeledJack
7th Nov 2017, 08:59
Was the Condor 727 a regular visitor back then ? I don't know if it's just 'rose tinted glasses syndrome' or not, but those old colour schemes were marvellous.

cj241101
7th Nov 2017, 12:25
Was the Condor 727 a regular visitor back then ? I don't know if it's just 'rose tinted glasses syndrome' or not, but those old colour schemes were marvellous.
Condor operated a couple of short series 1975 and 1976 then were regular throughout summer 1977 Monday and Friday evenings. They returned spring 1978 and operated Monday and Friday evenings again, from and to Stuttgart, until October 1979. They disappeared the same time as Hapag-Lloyd who, in their previous guises of Bavaria and Germanair had been regular since late 1975 and late 1973 respectively.
Pictures from scanned negatives so quality not great.

https://i.imgur.com/buWcLB8.jpg
D-ABIR 25/5/79

https://i.imgur.com/Z7QNkQx.jpg
D-ABIN 25/6/79

cj241101
7th Nov 2017, 12:49
Talking of Germanair:-

https://i.imgur.com/dvDJFpU.jpg
D-AMIE 18/8/70
operated twice on Tuesday for about a month Aug-Sep 1970

https://i.imgur.com/cLBorEb.jpg
D-AMOR 27/7/78

lotus1
7th Nov 2017, 16:09
I remember a friend always booked with tjaereborg always had a great time if I am right the brochere was a green and gold colour also did a number of adverts on television operated a number of flights from stanstead beleive scan air Dc8 .

boeing_eng
7th Nov 2017, 16:37
I recall in the late 70's the Condor's using the reg on the R/T instead of a flight number.....

cj241101
7th Nov 2017, 17:36
I recall in the late 70's the Condor's using the reg on the R/T instead of a flight number.....
Surprising - but true! So did Bavaria and I suspect Germanair as well, although I'm sure Germanair used flight numbers for their first series in 1970 (Germanair 648/654 Tue a.m. and Germanair 655/649 Tue evening, Dusseldorf-Luton-Munich-Athens and back). Going back further, B.E.A. used registrations preceded by "Bealine" until around April 1969. Court Line/Britannia/Midland also used registrations, at least until the early 70's, but Monarch used flight numbers from their start up in April 1968. I also remember the Tarom Ilyushin 18's in 1971/72 calling registrations. Luton-wise I think most other operators were using flight numbers. Invicta used the callsign "India Mike" which was their flight number prefix IM.

Any further info on the subject very welcome!

vintage ATCO
7th Nov 2017, 19:21
When I started in 1967 it was quite common for all to use registrations but it slowly became the norm to use flight numbers by 1969/70ish with perhaps the odd exception.

One day, doing Ground, a BYxxx callsign called for the airfield details, followed a while later by GAxxx calling for the same. A short while later BYxxx called for start, followed by GAxxx asking if they were clear to start. I then twigged and said 'Both the Captain and First Officer were cleared to start'. Much mirth all round.

kcockayne
7th Nov 2017, 20:37
Just to elucidate, if it is needed, the change to flight numbers for the a/c call sign was required in order to use the stored flight plan system (you could use a flight number on repetitive flight plans, but using registrations was much more problematic).

treadigraph
7th Nov 2017, 20:50

Quite agree, there was something about the airline schemes of yore that appealed hugely to me. Perhaps I'm simply a jaded old git but modern schemes just don't make it.

cj241101
7th Nov 2017, 20:52
When I started in 1967 it was quite common for all to use registrations but it slowly became the norm to use flight numbers by 1969/70ish with perhaps the odd exception.

Autair always used their registrations for ATC at Luton. However, correct me if I am wrong, but when they switched their scheduled services from Luton to Heathrow in April 1969, I'm pretty sure they used the flight number including their 2-letter prefix e.g. the OU048 Tees-side - Heathrow was Oscar Uniform zero four eight. Used to hear them calling London on 124.6 routing Amber One Lichfield - Daventry - Garston (might have been Bovingdon by 1969) for Heathrow.

cj241101
7th Nov 2017, 21:14
(you could use a flight number on repetitive flight plans, but using registrations was much more problematic).
Yes, RPL's as the stored flight plans were commonly known. I'm trying to picture the frantic activity that B.E.A. flight ops must have been every night shift pre-computerisation, with 200+ flight plans (including return sectors) to file manually just for their 1st wave flights. Then resubmitting them every time there was an aircraft change. Maybe they used a standardised flight plan form for each destination which just needed the registration box completing. If anyone can shed any light on how they managed please do.

dc9-32
8th Nov 2017, 05:46
but modern schemes just don't make it.

You mean white then :ok:

22/04
8th Nov 2017, 08:44
Did Condor use727-200s on some occasions? I seem to remember them on Sunday evenings

cj241101
8th Nov 2017, 09:59
Did Condor use727-200s on some occasions? I seem to remember them on Sunday evenings

Condor's series in 1977 ran on Mon and Fri evenings from April to early Sept which were all 727-200's. Most flights 1978/79 were also -200's, with -100's on some of the early and late season flights.

Rubbish photos again with a Kodak Instamatic but here they are:-

https://i.imgur.com/VoicwSm.jpg
D-ABMI 29/7/77

https://i.imgur.com/JJhZDaJ.jpg?1
D-ABVI 6/6/75. The DC-4 is Aer Turas EI-ARS;, the G2 N677S of Sentry Insurance.

lotus1
9th Nov 2017, 16:10
With regards to the condor 727s where they used on the trooping flights to Germany I remember invicta international had these but there was so much issues with the vanguards they lost the contract and Britannia took over these with again regards to condor I use to spend quite a lot of time in Ibiza in the summers 74/75 it was amazing to see there 747s land the names max and fritz adored on them also seeing Klm 747 land they where the days

rog747
9th Nov 2017, 17:37
With regards to the condor 727s where they used on the trooping flights to Germany I remember invicta international had these but there was so much issues with the vanguards they lost the contract and Britannia took over these with again regards to condor I use to spend quite a lot of time in Ibiza in the summers 74/75 it was amazing to see there 747s land the names max and fritz adored on them also seeing Klm 747 land they where the days

same here summer 75 in IBZ saw Condor KLM Sabena and Aer Lingus 747's landing there - BOAC went to Palma with theirs for a couple of summers from LHR early 70's

YVRLTN
9th Nov 2017, 18:59
How many 747's have visited LTN? The only one I remember was a rather tatty 100 with a Barbados flag, Air Caribbean or Caribbean something anyway, think it had an N reg

oldandbald
9th Nov 2017, 21:50
First 747 at Luton was LX-KCV 10th July 1987 sub for Britannia Faro and back

jensdad
9th Nov 2017, 22:49
Was that one of Cargolux's 747s? Not doubting you, just surprised that Cargolux were doing passenger flights.
Seeing that taxying past the old viewing area must have been quite a sight!

cj241101
10th Nov 2017, 02:33
Seeing that taxying past the old viewing area must have been quite a sight!
Try this thread pages 32-34
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/527527-luton-history-nostalgia-32.html

LTNman
10th Nov 2017, 03:51
Try this thread pages 32-34
http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/527527-luton-history-nostalgia-32.html

Well that was an interesting read again. Shame a small number of photos were missing due to being hosted by photobucket.:{

lotus1
10th Nov 2017, 13:05
With regards to the corsair jumbos including the sp I beleive these where used for the Euro96 and the Caribbean airlines 747 what and banger that was around 89 inter sun holidays had leased this in for there Barbados flights was going to go on this but the flights operated from stanstead instead went by BWIA Tristar direct from Heathrow while in Barbados met a couple who used this they said they had a 2 Day delay then inter sun leased in another old banger if any of you can remember Orion airlines 747 got some great publicity for this also Airtours leased this in

cj241101
10th Nov 2017, 19:05
With regards to the condor 727s where they used on the trooping flights to Germany

No. Condor flights in the late 70's were German-originating pax with most flights from Stuttgart (DF2848/9). Can't remember the name of the charterer. I do remember the first Bavaria flights from Munich which started 9/10/75 on Thu (BV4582/3) and Mon (BV1582/3) were chartered by City Express Flug, operated by 1-11 400's initially with the -500's taking over nearly all flights after the 1st few weeks. These operated year round until Oct 1979 as Bavaria, Bavaria Germanair then Hapag-Lloyd.

vintage ATCO
11th Nov 2017, 08:21
As a small aside . . . . When the two Corsair B747s arrived i took some photos of them landing from the tower and subsequently posted them on my (then) website. A few days later the airport alerted me to the fact that the anti-airport lot LADACAN (do they still exist?) had linked to them from their website with a headline 'Two Jumbos land at Luton Airport' and how terribly noisy they were. The airport asked me to take them down. I did better than that . . . .

I found a pic on the internet of two elephants and substituted that (with the same url) as the pic of the Corsair B747s. It was several days before LADACAN twigged. It did amuse me . . . :)

treadigraph
11th Nov 2017, 09:52
Me too, brilliant!

Did they trumpet the headline? (groan...)

OUAQUKGF Ops
11th Nov 2017, 14:58
Vintage ATCO's mention of LADACAN reminds me of the rather cavalier attitude that Autair displayed towards the disturbance caused by their newly introduced BAC 111s.

I remember one summer night shift in the late sixties at a time when three one-elevens were scheduled one after another to perform an overnight rotation to Alicante. The crews used to compete to see who could achieve the quickest round trip by the end of the season - I digress. On this occasion just after the first departure I received a very irate telephone call from an incensed member of the public some few miles distant who then threw his receiver out of the bedroom window so that I could listen to the diminishing roar of the Speys as they climbed upwards into the clear night sky. Whilst the caller hauled his phone back up through the roses and wisteria the second one-eleven blasted off from the runway. I then appraised the complainant of the situation and apologized which resulted in an even greater diatribe after which the receiver was again flung out of the window with renewed vigour. I took this opportunity to hang up.

On another occasion a milder mannered old gent whose Saturday afternoon nap had been disturbed rang to complain about "That blasted little blow-torch that goes round and round." I've always remembered this as the most splendid description of the ill-fated H.S 125 G-AVGW which was performing circuit training on that summer day so long ago.

It must have been in 1968 or then abouts that one summer night an urgently needed one-eleven was given an incautious full power engine run outside the hangar at one o'clock in the morning. This resulted in a delegation, really a misnomer for a rather nasty looking rabble of residents, suddenly arriving on the airport apron outside our office window. Dressed in pyjamas, sweaters, dressing gowns, shod in 'Bovver Boots' and clasping a couple of pick axe handles, their mood could fairly be described as ugly.

I woke our duty Ops Manager Pete Lingard from a very deep slumber on the floor of his darkened office and half awake he stumbled outside to confront the mob. I remember how very well he dealt with an awkward situation. He immediately identified the ring-leader and just able to make his voice heard above the din of the Speys invited the tough into his office. Quite what was said after all this time I cannot recall however after a minute or two the situation was calmed and the protestors melted away into what was left of the night.

In 1972 John Kitchen wrote a thesis on The Expansion of Luton Airport. This is a tiny edited extract:

Noise Characteristics of Selected Aircraft in relation to Luton at a level 3.5 nautical miles from the start of roll with a 4 Degree Climb.

Tristar 95 PNdB
B737 96 PNdB
BAC 111 102 PNdB
B707 108 PNdB

Source B.F. Collins (Airport Director)from data supplied by Rolls Royce and DTI.

vintage ATCO
11th Nov 2017, 18:50
We had a chap turn up in the middle of the night in the old control tower in pyjamas and dressing gown to complain about an engine run. No security in those days. He was very polite.

Whilst the Airport Duty Officer was called to speak to him he was sat down and given a cup of tea. He stayed over and hour then said he ought to go, still very polite.

For my sins, in the 90s, I was in charge of the person that looked after the Noise & Track and dealt with noise complaints. Unfortunately, I had to let him go on leave occasionally and then I had to deal with the complaints.

Rather than write letters I would telephone people. By and large, they were all reasonable, they had been annoyed by a particular event and felt they wanted to complain as they had every right to do. I would even invite them in to see the Noise & Track monitoring although not everyone would 'you are trying to brain wash me'. For that, you need a brain (no, I didn't say that) :-)

YVRLTN
12th Nov 2017, 04:13
Did Euroberlin operate flights from LTN or were they just in for mx from MON who they leased them from?

cj241101
12th Nov 2017, 08:54
Did Euroberlin operate flights from LTN or were they just in for mx from MON who they leased them from?
I don't believe EuroBerlin ever operated commercial flights from Luton, just the positioning sectors to and from maintenance checks.

https://i.imgur.com/6X27Won.jpg
G-MONH 6/10/91

cj241101
12th Nov 2017, 18:20
With cars featuring occasionally within this topic, glad to see the Skoda in the background above. Memory, was it a Waterford schedule?
Probably Isle of Man. Operated on an ATP Sun-Fri in 1991 and a 146 Saturdays.

cj241101
12th Nov 2017, 21:12
Thought that Manx did a Waterford service from Luton. Must check my BAe 41 days, perhaps it was from Stansted.

I remember Manx operating Waterford-Stansted around 1993-1994 with the J41. This one was diverted in on 10/10/94:-
https://i.imgur.com/vqoisAM.jpg

YVRLTN
12th Nov 2017, 21:27
Probably Isle of Man. Operated on an ATP Sun-Fri in 1991 and a 146 Saturdays. What year did they switch from the SH360? I remember G-ISLE clearly, I am sure it was later than 91, maybe they switched back and forth. It was certainly ATP from 93 onwards.

cj241101
13th Nov 2017, 08:42
What year did they switch from the SH360? I remember G-ISLE clearly, I am sure it was later than 91, maybe they switched back and forth. It was certainly ATP from 93 onwards.
Manx first flew their IOM-LTN schedule in June 1988 using the SD360. First ATP flights were as early as March 1989 with the 360 substituting depending on loads. First 146 ops to Luton were in April 1990.
Some useful stats:-
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199798/cmselect/cmenvtra/589/8040111.htm

and some photos:-
https://i.imgur.com/CRt69CQ.jpg
G-ISLE 4/8/92

https://i.imgur.com/3DcaCNX.jpg
G-OATP 2/9/89

https://i.imgur.com/49yPSVr.jpg
G-OJET 27/5/90

https://i.imgur.com/JbRGkV2.jpg
G-OATP 10/10/94. Suspect the other ATP was the Manchester-Stansted flight, with the J41 the previously mentioned Waterford-Stansted flight.

canberra97
13th Nov 2017, 11:04
I always found the Manx livery a very attractive one and it suited all of there aircraft very well including the 'sheds'.

That's a great photo to have three Manx aircraft in one shot at LTN.

I do enjoy reading this thread but it's a shame there is not a similar one regarding Stansted!

Surely there is an equally great STNman out there lol

boeing_eng
14th Nov 2017, 17:54
Interesting to note the two bits of ground equipment in the last pic of G-OATP were originally Britannia equipment which transferred to Servisair when BY ceased self-handling.

The tug was obviously used for 767's in its early days (looks a bit over-sized on an ATP!) The other bit of kit was a mobile ground power unit. The drive came from the rather beefy generator motor (which was limited!) However, it was easy to by-pass the limiter which turned it into a lethal projectile with useless brakes. I recall the thing ended up modifying the wall of the newly built Line office outside H89 a long time ago!.....

EGGW
15th Nov 2017, 04:49
The other bit of kit was a mobile ground power unit. The drive came from the rather beefy generator motor (which was limited!) However, it was easy to by-pass the limiter which turned it into a lethal projectile with useless brakes. I recall the thing ended up modifying the wall of the newly built Line office outside H89 a long time ago!.....

Ha, i remember that Mobile GPU when at Brits. That Engine sounded awesome, probably a good job that not many found the limiter override :ok: It used to bounce around a lot as well.

EGGW

dixi188
15th Nov 2017, 10:16
Looks like a Hobart unit to me.

falcon12
15th Nov 2017, 12:56
The GPU was a Houchin 604 GPU. It had a glorious sounding Cummins V555 V8 diesel engine fitted. No suspension worth talking about hence the appalling ride and handling.

The comment re the tractor size v the aircraft. It looks like a Reliance Mercury RM400 meaning 40,000lbs wight (18.1 tonnes in metric ) tonnes weight. I would think the ATP would weigh much the same but I agree, it does't look the right tractor for the job.

boeing_eng
15th Nov 2017, 17:03
Wow...Good info there! Yes, that was one serious engine and with the limiter by-passed it was like trying to drive a V8 powered go-cart!....I always thought it looked like it belonged on Wacky Races!:}

LTNman
16th Nov 2017, 04:53
Didn’t Manx also fly a Luton to Belfast service once? I think their cheaper fares were called fare crackers.

There was a Leeds based airline called Capital that was owned by I think a company called maybe Browns that flew 146’s to Belfast from Luton.

kcockayne
16th Nov 2017, 07:35
Yes, the airline was originally called Brown Air & started with SH360s. I think that they also had a Gulfstream 1 - but I may be wrong on that. They added the 146 later & changed the name to Capital.

treadigraph
16th Nov 2017, 07:48
I can remember a Gulf 1 owned by Brown Air.

Edit: G-BRWN.

VictorGolf
16th Nov 2017, 08:52
I flew from Luton to Belfast Harbour on 21/3/89 in a Shorts 360 G-OLGW branded as Capital. I seem to remember it was quite uncomfortable as he had to climb to 13000 feet (?) to dodge some weather and it was unpressurised. It subsequently went to Titan as G-ZAPD and then to the USA.

DaveReidUK
16th Nov 2017, 14:14
I flew from Luton to Belfast Harbour on 21/3/89 in a Shorts 360 G-OLGW branded as Capital.

Capital had a range of imaginative registrations on their 360s:

G-OLBA, G-OLGW, G-OLTN, G-OEEC and G-CPTL plus (in-sequence) G-BNDM.

They also briefly operated a couple of 146s: G-OSUN and G-OSKI.

compton3bravo
16th Nov 2017, 17:15
Capital started off as Brown Air as stated above flying a Cessna 441 between Leeds/Bradford and Oslo. The company specialised in plant equipment. The MD of Capital was a 'character' called Adrian Thomson whom many stories abound of which, unfortunately, could not be published here. I met Gordon Brown - a totally different animal - through a mutual friend several times.

ZeBedie
16th Nov 2017, 21:42
Re. the 1-11 noise complaints, does anyone know what year the hush kits were introduced?

canberra97
16th Nov 2017, 23:05
If I remember correctly around 1979/80!

kcockayne
17th Nov 2017, 12:16
That would be about right. Mind you, I never thought that they reduced the noise !

almost professional
17th Nov 2017, 13:20
Does my memory serve me correctly in that we had a noise monitor display by the Tower desk and had to pass the readings?

cj241101
17th Nov 2017, 13:24
Capital had a range of imaginative registrations on their 360s:

G-OLBA, G-OLGW, G-OLTN, G-OEEC and G-CPTL plus (in-sequence) G-BNDM.

They also briefly operated a couple of 146s: G-OSUN and G-OSKI.
I don't have records as to exactly when Capital began operating Luton-Belfast City other than it was at least November 1988 or before. Flights to Dublin started 27th March 1989 using a Viscount leased from British Air Ferries (G-AOYN), replaced by their first 146 in August 1989. The company went into administration on 28th June 1990.
Further info from Wikipedia:-
Capital Airlines (UK) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_Airlines_(UK))

Some photos:-
https://i.imgur.com/DYH7fOu.jpg
G-OLTN 4/5/89

https://i.imgur.com/TBzsaQl.jpg
G-OSKI 28/8/89

https://i.imgur.com/P164jkl.jpg
G-AOYN 27/5/89

lotus1
17th Nov 2017, 14:02
I remember seeing the shorts360 at manston doing the weekly jersey run this must have been around 89/90 operated by travel scope holidays