PDA

View Full Version : LUTON History and Nostalgia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

cj241101
14th Jan 2017, 22:22
I suspect the Nomad was Holland Airlines.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/PH-HAG20Luton20060385_zpsa6hgq8fy.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/colin_jones5/media/PH-HAG20Luton20060385_zpsa6hgq8fy.jpg.html)
PH-HAG 6/3/85

DaveReidUK
15th Jan 2017, 00:24

Yes, I think you're right, upon investigation DG appears to have been their code.

Confusingly, most of their fleet wore "Holland Aero Lines" titles, including PH-HAG at one point.

LynxDriver
15th Jan 2017, 04:16
Probably a long shot but does anyone have a photo of the single lane tunnel that used you used to have to pass through to get up to the airport? It was just off the the Lower Luton Road probably where Parkway station is now.

LTNman
15th Jan 2017, 05:59
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/tunnel%20by%20parkway%202_zpsbcc064ed.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/tunnel%20by%20parkway%202_zpsbcc064ed.jpg.html)
Luton News

The tunnel lives on and is by the side of the multistory car park at Parkway
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/tunnel_zps5fc88c5e.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/tunnel_zps5fc88c5e.jpg.html)

LTNman
15th Jan 2017, 06:15
The list from Airport Timetable UK 1985

EO Euroflight/London European
KND Kondair
XF Spacegrand
SM Air Ecosse
CME Air Camelot
JE Manx Airlines
MO Airmore/ National
LC Loganair
BSF Business Flight Services
DG Holland Airlines
ALF Air Luton
HBD Hubbardair
KND Kondair
AK Air Bridge Carriers

22/04
15th Jan 2017, 08:27
Vintage ATCO loved the picture of what was then a newish tower. A time that will never return. Any more like that, especially if in colour would brighten a very dull January day.

wallp
15th Jan 2017, 09:34
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/tunnel%20by%20parkway%202_zpsesuz2gml.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/tunnel%20by%20parkway%202_zpsesuz2gml.jpg.html)
Luton News

The tunnel lives on and is by the side of the multistory car park at Parkway
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/tunnel_zpse2okn8ku.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/tunnel_zpse2okn8ku.jpg.html)
I vaguely remember going through that tunnel but why was that the route to the airport and not through the old Vauxhall?

LTNman
15th Jan 2017, 11:32
That was an alternate route for the locals who did not look at the road signs. Once though the tunnel it was a sharp right turn followed after a few yards by a sharp leff.

The route can still be seen on Google maps on the satellite view and ends up between the Vauxhall dealership and Express newspapers.

Spiney Norman
15th Jan 2017, 12:22

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/PH-HAG20Luton20060385_zpsa6hgq8fy.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/colin_jones5/media/PH-HAG20Luton20060385_zpsa6hgq8fy.jpg.html)
PH-HAG 6/3/85
Here's one for the log keepers...I believe the Nomad that operated the Nightexpress flight for a short time after they commenced ops with that type may have been a 'manufacturers loan' with a VH registration. I never saw this sircraft 'in the tin' but seem to remember the registration being stated as VH-*** in box 18 of the flight plan form.

WHBM
15th Jan 2017, 13:20
Pleased to see a vintage copy of Airport Timetables UK is still being put to good use. Darned shame the new-fangled interweb thingy put paid to it!

(Person with vested interest)!!
And I still have all mine ... somewhere up at the back of the attic. I think the first is around 1984, the last was, what. about 10 years ago ?

cj241101
15th Jan 2017, 15:24
Here's one for the log keepers...I believe the Nomad that operated the Nightexpress flight for a short time after they commenced ops with that type may have been a 'manufacturers loan' with a VH registration. I never saw this sircraft 'in the tin' but seem to remember the registration being stated as VH-*** in box 18 of the flight plan form.
PH-HAG 6 weeks prior to the earlier photo and still carrying its US registration.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/N5579M20Luton20190185_zpsikaoftgt.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/colin_jones5/media/N5579M20Luton20190185_zpsikaoftgt.jpg.html)
N5579M 19/1/85

Going back to the Airport Timetables flight listings, does anyone know when Air Ecosse changed from their "WG" prefix? Their Bandits became regular during summer 1979 on mail flights, always using the "Whisky Golf" callsign. Up to 4 a night IIRC, WG912/914/916/918 possibly.

YVRLTN
16th Jan 2017, 02:18
How many of those night flights were Royal Mail flights rather than newspaper flights? My grandfather set up Datapost in the 80's and I wish I knew more about the routes and aircraft he set up. I know he used Air Ecosse a lot and BCal and their regional partners ex LGW, but he also dealt with Hubbardair, National, Chanex, BAF and others and certainly set up flights ex LTN as he was very familiar with it. I vaguely recall he mentioned a carrier with a 402/404 but may have been ex LGW. Also a carrier with P68's to the Channel Isles, in fact he flew one (not ex LTN, maybe BOH in connection with Chanex), as I say I wish I remember more.

I have a very large scale National King Air and a smaller scale Chanex Herald (plus a BCal A310) he was given by reps and a photo of a Connectair Shed and a bronze BAF Viscount I still have on my wall.

LTNman
16th Jan 2017, 05:35
How many of those night flights were Royal Mail flights rather than newspaper flights?

The Royal Mail flights have in the last column POM for Post Office Mail.

Changing the subject one of those nightly airlines was Spacegrand, they operated scheduled passenger services out of Blackpool for a while.

http://www.timetableimages.com/ttimages/xf.htm

mustbeaboeing
16th Jan 2017, 09:46
DATAPOST...C404's Executive Express operated the BRS (Bristol) LTN BRS and CWL (Cardiff) LTN CWL Datapost services with these aircraft, having an aircraft and pilot based in each place

vulcanite
16th Jan 2017, 10:39
...And I believe Spacegrand morphed into Jersey European, which became British European, which became Flybe.

kcockayne
16th Jan 2017, 13:19
...And I believe Spacegrand morphed into Jersey European, which became British European, which became Flybe.

You are correct. It was amalgamated with Intra Airways to form Jersey European in, about, the early 1980s.

Antek
16th Jan 2017, 14:36
To add to the list - Centreline (HG) with Bandit/s. Went up north somewhere, possibly Glasgow.

There was also a P68 that did a run to Brussels I think most nights, often flown by very young pilots. Fixed-pitch props and welded gear, well suited to the recently-qualified.

And an Islander that went to Manchester, or was that Euroair? Long time ago...

And Air Continental's designator was CW.

Spiney Norman
17th Jan 2017, 08:45
To add to the list - Centreline (HG) with Bandit/s. Went up north somewhere, possibly Glasgow.

There was also a P68 that did a run to Brussels I think most nights, often flown by very young pilots. Fixed-pitch props and welded gear, well suited to the recently-qualified.

And an Islander that went to Manchester, or was that Euroair? Long time ago...

And Air Continental's designator was CW.
Morning Antek!

I did a RH seat ride to Manchester in the BN2 and believe it was G-BDWG which was Euroair. We delivered the load to the Southside Hangars which are now long gone under 23L/05R. We flew outside controlled airspace joining the EGCC CTR Special VFR. The pilot told me the most useful navaid on the route were the obstruction lights on top of the Evans lift tower in Northampton!

Re the PN68 you mention. Wasn't that Hubbardair?

Air Continental did a Leuchars return, generally in the Beech C90 but occasionally using a second aircraft, a PA31 Navajo when, I presume, the load was too large for the BE90. I did a RH seat flight on that too and went up on the BE90, (fabulous st.Elmo's fire demo). Then back on the PA31 Navajo. In the dark of night, in heavy rain and cloud, the glow of the turbo through the air vents in the engine cowling on my side was quite scary!

Spiney Norman
17th Jan 2017, 08:57
Although it wasn't a postal/paper flight there was a regular I haven't seen mentioned. G-AZBK, an Aztec which regularly flew to Deelen in the Netherlands. This one was during the day. I believe it belonged to a London company who's name escapes me. Another one that was good for a RH seat ride to a very interesting destination.

Red Four
17th Jan 2017, 09:24
Wasn't the P-68 G-SVHA of David Martin Couriers? It seemed to be airborne every night in the early eighties.https://www.flickr.com/photos/55101137@N02/8036708610
They also had PA-31 G-BCAT https://www.flickr.com/photos/peamasher/2511557652
Seems the UK company disappeared in c.1990, but continues in some shape or form in NL.

22/04
17th Jan 2017, 16:35
G- AZBK was owned by Qualitair engineering Cambridge 1976-1989 and ATS Air Charter Blackbushe 1989-1992 - either ring any bells.

Spiney Norman
17th Jan 2017, 17:48
G- AZBK was owned by Qualitair engineering Cambridge 1976-1989 and ATS Air Charter Blackbushe 1989-1992 - either ring any bells.
The operator name given on the flight plan related to a company in London that was, supposedly, engaged in the Diamond trade. As the usual destinatons were either Deelen or Rotterdam I suppose that could be loosely taken as evidence that may be correct. Of course, they may have chartered the aircraft for these runs. I'm afraid that, as I left Luton in 1989 for Manchester I increasingly find that the Luton memory files have been over-written! I was hoping Antek might chip in with the operator identity as he's a young whipper-snapper....(standing by for incoming).

Antek
17th Jan 2017, 18:16
I'm flattered....I'm not sure who BK actually belonged to at the time, but my remaining brain cell recalls that it did a lot of work for Unilever.

HershamBoys
17th Jan 2017, 18:18
Remember one Luton approach controller who was romantically involved with an Air Continental pilot (for a time) ringing every LARS unit between the CFD VOR and Leuchars to try and get a radar service for the flight.

vintage ATCO
17th Jan 2017, 19:38
Wasn't me!!

Spiney Norman
17th Jan 2017, 21:19
Remember one Luton approach controller who was romantically involved with an Air Continental pilot (for a time) ringing every LARS unit between the CFD VOR and Leuchars to try and get a radar service for the flight.
I remember someone doing that for Air Ecosse and, no, it wasn't me!

P.S. If it's who I think, they liked to write letters to the Daily Telegraph too.

Antek...As I become a real pensioner this year AND have had cardiac spare parts fitted everyone seems like a whipper-snapper to me these days!

LynxDriver
18th Jan 2017, 00:16
Thanks so much for those tunnel photos LTNman! The top one certainly brought back some memories. My first car, a battered old 1967 Mini Cooper decided to seize its front brakes right in the middle of it one day in 1979.
Needless to say I wasn't exactly Mr. Popular for a while.

Plane Speaker
18th Jan 2017, 08:55
Driving through the tunnel in the direction of the photos took one past Vauxhalls press shop on the left and on the right the outdoor storage area where the redundant press tools were stored. I recall the tools being massive?

HershamBoys
18th Jan 2017, 10:54
P.S. If it's who I think, they liked to write letters to the Daily Telegraph too.

She did, and she occasionally brought her Labrador into Approach on night shifts. Surprised it slept, given the rats running around under the floor of the Approach room....

Spiney Norman
18th Jan 2017, 12:18

She did, and she occasionally brought her Labrador into Approach on night shifts. Surprised it slept, given the rats running around under the floor of the Approach room....
He shoots....He scores....

treadigraph
18th Jan 2017, 12:50
He shoots....He scores....

A bit too much detail? :p

LTNman
19th Jan 2017, 05:38
With some aircraft types being in service for decades it is the cars that really age a photo.

In this advert the small print mentions that these cars have optional push button radios, underriders and wing mirrors. The 2000GXL also has optional fabric trimmed seats.

Over 40 years later the more expensive cars have now done away with fabric and have gone back to vinyl but this time marketing gives it names like MB-Tex, leatherette or SensaTec which is just another name for vinyl.

Going back to the photo it looks like the photo includes a rare shot of a Britannia 707 that has just come off the runway.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/15895418_10154179041207267_1347243353790007896_n_zps1db47fe6 .jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/15895418_10154179041207267_1347243353790007896_n_zps1db47fe6 .jpg.html)

dc9-32
19th Jan 2017, 06:10
I'd say there were 2 BY B707's in that shot.

22/04
19th Jan 2017, 08:54
Me too - and I'll give you that it was quite rare to see them together but they weren't that rare. There was a Tenerife every weekend one winter- I'd say 71-72 but it might have been the year after- they left in spring '73. Remember a crosswind day when that and the Monarch 720B went around, though the 737s and One elevens were IIRC getting in. Any "drivers" around to comment

The picture looks like summer 1972 - if my maths is right 'L' plates were issued from August that year.

HershamBoys
19th Jan 2017, 09:01
Re the PN68 you mention. Wasn't that Hubbardair?

Was there also not a G-HUBB ?

Also, I seem to remember a slippery Merlin, D-IOTF rings a bell, but it was a long time ago. That used to do night services. Have we missed that one ?

Antek
19th Jan 2017, 12:55
No, G-HUBB was another one. As Red Four says, David Martin Couriers operated G-SVHA.

The Merlin was I think nightly from/to Frankfurt. It started as EO111, which became EXT111 when designators went three-letter. I belive It is still running forty years later, albeit to Coventry now, same c/s and operated by a Shed. Once so common in the night sky, there can't be many of them left now.

compton3bravo
19th Jan 2017, 13:20
Regarding night freight does anyone remember Northern Executive Aviation using a Piper PA-23 on a Sunday to Friday night flight from Manchester to Luton bringing The Sporting Chronicle newspaper which was printed in Manchester. I think the flight was flown VFR. The period was mid to late 1970s if my memory is correct.

Spiney Norman
19th Jan 2017, 16:11
Regarding night freight does anyone remember Northern Executive Aviation using a Piper PA-23 on a Sunday to Friday night flight from Manchester to Luton bringing The Sporting Chronicle newspaper which was printed in Manchester. I think the flight was flown VFR. The period was mid to late 1970s if my memory is correct.
I suspect this was the trip that I did in the BN2 (G-BDWG) as we unloaded at Northern Executive and you've jogged my memory with the Sporting Chronicle as that was, indeed, the cargo we carried. I don't remember an Aztec ever doing the flight but that's not to say it didn't. I'm not sufficiently confident of my memory of the Luton days.

Antek
19th Jan 2017, 16:24
Yes - as I recall, Neatax Aztecs did the run before the BN2.

oldandbald
19th Jan 2017, 17:28
No, G-HUBB was another one. As Red Four says, David Martin Couriers operated G-SVHA.

The Merlin was I think nightly from/to Frankfurt. It started as EO111, which became EXT111 when designators went three-letter. I belive It is still running forty years later, albeit to Coventry now, same c/s and operated by a Shed. Once so common in the night sky, there can't be many of them left now.
EXT111
The nightly EXT111 was a Beech99 (see previous posts 1756 and 1762 ) Those who know me will understand why I remember

Antek
19th Jan 2017, 18:19
O&B - Oh yes, BE99, so it was...and yes, I well remember that night even if other details (such as the a/c type...) have faded!

vintage ATCO
19th Jan 2017, 18:41
Yes, Neatax Aztec, used to arrive about 2300. Then, for some reason, it switched to Heathrow. However one night we noticed the usual trucks were waiting on stand 9 but we had no FPL. Quick call to London revealed it was bound for Heathrow. We got London to get him to call us and when we explained his trucks were waiting here (we did check!) he diverted into Luton. Customer service!

almost professional
19th Jan 2017, 19:07
Ah Spiney, night duties with no aircraft just a ghetto blaster and lots of pink Floyd.....
not at all like the Night I shall be off to in an hour!

Spiney Norman
19th Jan 2017, 21:43
Ah Spiney, night duties with no aircraft just a ghetto blaster and lots of pink Floyd.....
not at all like the Night I shall be off to in an hour!
AP. I certainly remember that! Dark side of the Moon as a backing track to half mile talkdowns.. all the best old chap. Retirement is getting closer....

Spiney Norman
19th Jan 2017, 22:02
Yes, Neatax Aztec, used to arrive about 2300. Then, for some reason, it switched to Heathrow. However one night we noticed the usual trucks were waiting on stand 9 but we had no FPL. Quick call to London revealed it was bound for Heathrow. We got London to get him to call us and when we explained his trucks were waiting here (we did check!) he diverted into Luton. Customer service!
Now this almost touches on a subject I haven't seen mentioned previously....Shopping for diversions. The ideal situation. Heathrow and/or Gatwick in LVPs due to radiation fog but Luton on the hill sticking out in beautiful sunshine. Bovingdon hold clearly busy. We had the means to monitor the TMA frequencies for a while so it was easy to get a callsign of an aircraft in the hold. Next. Ring the TMA NW assistant and tell them that BAW*** had called us for the Luton weather but we didn't appear to be able to get two-way communications with him and could they help? The aim? To get the TMA controller to read the (probably CAVOK) Luton weather to the BNN stack. Blue touch paper lit..Stand by for interesting aeroplanes!

almost professional
19th Jan 2017, 22:17
If memory serves correctly, did we not have a way of getting the actual sent to the various ops departments too?

Halcyon Days
20th Jan 2017, 20:16
In my early days there -we would collect the notams and any required forecasts and actuals from the briefing room below the tower.
When I was with Courtline-our ops room was right next door and we had a hatch cut in the wall-and could lean through and pick them up or ask the lovely girls in there for the latest actuals etc.
If LVPs we would normally get a call through from the mini tower

LTNman
20th Jan 2017, 22:39
Why was the mini tower built and then abandoned? I might be wrong here but was it not taken out of service before the new tower opened? It has had a second lease of life with Signature as their ops room.

mustbeaboeing
20th Jan 2017, 22:39
Certainly in the late Seventies there was the TV screen monitor, showing a piece of paper with the Luton actual on it in various Ops rooms.

Not sure when it started or 'disappeared'

almost professional
20th Jan 2017, 23:06
The little paper notes for ATCAs to write on - remember that, it lasted till we got a proper ATIS to record on and an electronic weather input - That would have been mid to late eighties just before I left. I think we may have had Telex numbers for other off airfield Ops to get briefing girls to bash out the weather

vintage ATCO
21st Jan 2017, 07:34
The mini tower was Apron Control (stand allocation etc) not ATC although we subsumed them into the ATSA ranks after the new control tower was opened.

LTNman
24th Jan 2017, 17:53
The opening in 1981? of phase 1 of the terminal upgrade.

I can remember the "gravestone" that was set in the middle of the check-in hall with the globe on top.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/10360465_570983826375018_5510142163089727345_na_zpsb2904093. jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/10360465_570983826375018_5510142163089727345_na_zpsb2904093. jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/opening%20of%20phase%201%201981_zps16bb0f2b.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/opening%20of%20phase%201%201981_zps16bb0f2b.jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/15025557_1708379659480469_6962112196604368520_o_zps340a63ea. jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/15025557_1708379659480469_6962112196604368520_o_zps340a63ea. jpg.html)

India Four Two
24th Jan 2017, 21:09
LTNman,

Your first photo is crying out for a caption:
Islay looks interesting. I must go there one day.

:)

LTNman
24th Jan 2017, 21:39
I am actually in that first photo but I would just like to say that I am not Prince Charles:)

Falcon666
24th Jan 2017, 22:14
Interesting B720 in that last photo,Kenya Airlines? seem to remember seeing that a couple of times.
Don't think it was a freighter but what flights was it operating or was it just maintenance with Monarch?

dc9-32
25th Jan 2017, 06:29

"One does hope ones airfield gets orf the ground and is a success. However....."

"One is eager to go and savour the other delights this quaint little airfield has to offer. However......"

"The filly behind me looks rather bored. Maybe I should pop along and say hello and brighten her day. However......"

nvubu
25th Jan 2017, 06:55
Falcon666 - That's a Uganda Airlines aircraft

HZ123
25th Jan 2017, 08:45
On the day the first commercial passenger flight was not until the afternoon! In the event everyone was required in the terminal for the Prince so at least it looked the part! I believe friends and relatives of staff were also encouraged to attend to swell the numbers.

Falcon666
26th Jan 2017, 11:32
nvubu
Thanks for that , should have realised it wasn't Kenyan by the tail- my bad!

squeaker
27th Jan 2017, 18:20

"..and ...um.. How long have you been a globe?"

LynxDriver
30th Jan 2017, 01:40
Just been reminded by my wife that we were on TV way back when. Valerie Singleton was filming for The Money Programme in the Terminal and we were seen in the background by some friends when it was screened.

LTNman
31st Jan 2017, 20:29
Opening of the new control tower 1952

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/15304113_1717724021879366_754673992021417056_o_zps6a0a2a24.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/15304113_1717724021879366_754673992021417056_o_zps6a0a2a24.j pg.html)

noflynomore
31st Jan 2017, 22:42
Opening of the new control tower

Even though it does seem to have a ring-pull on the top couldn't they have just used an ordinary can-opener?

Alan Baker
1st Feb 2017, 11:47
Working my way through my box set of The Saint, I've just watched Vendetta For the Saint, set in Italy with a scene at Naples Airport with an Autair Ambassador and a Britannia Britannia in the background. Many of the ITC series used Luton for filming, standing in for some exotic location!

LTNman
1st Feb 2017, 12:53
Those programmes were often filmed on a budget, Naples Airport = Luton Airport then?

Then you must have this episode then filmed at Luton in 1969 of The Saint
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/14753232_1689339461384489_434306266803961769_o%20Roger%20Moo r%201969%20the%20saint_zps43375b17.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/14753232_1689339461384489_434306266803961769_o%20Roger%20Moo r%201969%20the%20saint_zps43375b17.jpg.html)

savannahlady
3rd Feb 2017, 23:08
It was an empty leg of a horse flight, there were grooms on board. It might well have been carrying newspapers. Fortunately it was my night off!

But we were on then - one of the very few times my husband and I were ever on watch together! There were three of us in the Tower chatting and watching it come in, realising as you do that it seemed to be ... oh my goodness yes it was too fast, our conversation slowed to a halt amidst a sudden rush for the crash alarms. Very fortunate crew and no horses. Slight damage to an ATCO racing upstairs from the rest room, trying to get his trousers on and ending up with "both legs down the same knicker" - he fell over the step!

Ah those were the days!

dc9-32
4th Feb 2017, 06:14
Mmmm why was the ATCO wearing knickers........

compton3bravo
4th Feb 2017, 16:51
Does anybody remember Air Continental 500-501 to/from Geneva with the UK newspapers departing around 3 am and back about 9.30 am. I remember an article in the Luton News with a photo of the pilot in front of the PA-31 Navajo ostensibly reading a UK newspaper on the ramp at Geneva.
My apologies if this has been mentioned before.

Level bust
4th Feb 2017, 20:48
I remember it well, did a couple of trips on it. It was always weight limited, and often taking a passenger put it overweight.
It was always the first a/c to land at Geneva when it opened at 0600 local. Straight turn-round the first time I went, second time we had breakfast in the Swissair canteen.

rogerg
4th Feb 2017, 22:06
I used to do that in a Beech 18 from LHR about the same time. I think we used to arrive about 0300. All very scary. As I was young and foolish I didnt realise!!.

LTNman
6th Feb 2017, 05:45
L1011 demonstrator arrives at Luton.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/13988159_727427160731974_8874136805063008619_o_zpsdkebqa8a.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/13988159_727427160731974_8874136805063008619_o_zpsdkebqa8a.j pg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/13996085_727427574065266_1826214407550067427_o_zpsi3dlxkro.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/13996085_727427574065266_1826214407550067427_o_zpsi3dlxkro.j pg.html)

Groundloop
6th Feb 2017, 09:16
LTNman, are those two images of the same visit. The top photo has an Air Canada sticker below the cheatline with the lower image having a Court sticker. Was there some nifty ladderwork?

LTNman
6th Feb 2017, 10:07
I have never noticed that before!!

I thought it came only once but as can been seen in the take off photo it left with neither a Court or Air Canada markings so either it came 3 times or indeed they were pealed off.

(Edit) Just spotted that in the last photo the Clarksons sticker is missing off the third tail engine which has writing on it instead, so now I have no idea how many times it came to Luton.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/13995542_727426324065391_1308175242409429934_o_zpsmfbmrbgi.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/13995542_727426324065391_1308175242409429934_o_zpsmfbmrbgi.j pg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/14242338_741021289372561_6864590949672812644_o%20Steve%20Rob erts%201972_zpszl3ezlds.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/14242338_741021289372561_6864590949672812644_o%20Steve%20Rob erts%201972_zpszl3ezlds.jpg.html)

DaveReidUK
6th Feb 2017, 11:35
I suspect all the photos were from the TriStar's world tour in late 1972.

Lockheed were very slick with the paint and decals during N305EA's stay in the UK. Courtesy of abpic.co.uk, here it is first at MAN:

http://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_0112/1168484-large.jpg

and, supposedly the same day (though that sounds a bit dubious), landing at LHR for BEA to play with:

http://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_01/1000422-large.jpg

Then a few weeks later at the Farnborough show:

http://abpic.co.uk/pictures/full_size_022/1034404-large.jpg

Aviation photographs of Registration: N305EA : ABPic (http://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/N305EA)

SpringHeeledJack
6th Feb 2017, 11:55
There I was thinking that the 74 Farnborough show was the first time that the TriStar made an appearance in the UK, next you'll be telling me that it could land automatically....Those photos of it at Luton show what a jump in technology and size the 70's brought to the aviation scene, especially to small airports. It must've seemed as though a spaceship had landed.

dc9-32
6th Feb 2017, 12:21
I was at F'Boro to see the L1011 in the hybrid BEA livery. I was at the ripe old age of 11 !!

thegypsy
6th Feb 2017, 13:32
What a shame 411A is no longer with us as he would no doubt be waxing lyrical!

Evanelpus
6th Feb 2017, 13:37
Anyone have a suggestion as to why I can't see the images for this thread when viewed on my IPad, yet I can see them on a PC?:(

G-ARZG
6th Feb 2017, 15:26
Twas a Friday evening, I think, when N305EA paid its first visit to LHR.
It emptied out the Pionair Club at any rate - a rare event !

Some rapid brushwork meant it was sporting BEA colours (of sorts) by the
time the -72 Farnborough show opened on the following Monday. 'ZG

DaveReidUK
6th Feb 2017, 15:41
Twas a Friday evening, I think, when N305EA paid its first visit to LHR.
It emptied out the Pionair Club at any rate - a rare event !

Some rapid brushwork meant it was sporting BEA colours (of sorts) by the
time the -72 Farnborough show opened on the following Monday. 'ZG

And not to be confused with sister ship N323EA that BA leased from Eastern a few years later:

http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/img/s/v-3/p1545527065-3.jpg (http://www.aviationphotocompany.com/p566184351/h5C1EDF19#h5c1edf19)

I recall at the time that whoever designed the maintenance control database hadn't foreseen the need for it to accommodate US-registered aircraft, so we had to pretend it was registered "NEA" in order to get it in.

treadigraph
6th Feb 2017, 16:34
Dave how did it cope with the "Braniff" Concordes, or did they maintain their UK i/ds in the database? :)

I used to do that in a Beech 18 from LHR about the same time

Saggitair?

DaveReidUK
6th Feb 2017, 16:56
Dave how did it cope with the "Braniff" Concordes, or did they maintain their UK i/ds in the database?

The problem didn't affect Concorde - even by 1980, BA was still two separate airlines as far as Engineering was concerned. :O

LTNman
6th Feb 2017, 17:10
Anyone have a suggestion as to why I can't see the images for this thread when viewed on my IPad, yet I can see them on a PC?

Evanelpus I have sent you a PM

rogerg
6th Feb 2017, 17:34
Saggitair?
Wot fun!! You must know me. I have the worry lines to prove I flew for Saggitair.

LTNman
6th Feb 2017, 17:44
So which U.K. airlines flew the Tristar, who was the last and when did the last Tristar leave the U.K. register?

vintage ATCO
6th Feb 2017, 18:05
The Americans over for crew training the Court Line crews on the 1011s were entertaining. A touch and go was called a 'crash and a dash'. :)

On one occasion, one such crash and a dash ended with all the reversers coming on passing the fire station (on 26). My finger hovered near the crash alarm but the aircraft stopped in the 08 turning circle. My enquiry "Are you all right?" elicited the response <American, laughing> "He touched the brakes, we hadda stop".

They all stayed in the Esso Motel (as was) and were ordering hamburgers all hours of the day and night, allegedly.

DaveReidUK
6th Feb 2017, 18:21
So which U.K. airlines flew the Tristar, who was the last and when did the last Tristar leave the U.K. register?

GINFO Search Results Summary (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?catid=1&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=summary&aircrafttype=TRISTAR&dereg=true)

treadigraph
6th Feb 2017, 19:39
Wot fun!! You must know me.

A guess! Don't know much about Saggitair other than they flew Beech 18s and Argosies. :)

The AvgasDinosaur
7th Feb 2017, 10:11
Wot fun!! You must know me. I have the worry lines to prove I flew for Saggitair.

It's high time you guys got together and wrote the Saggitair story. Whilst you can still recall "most" of it, please.
Be lucky
David

22/04
7th Feb 2017, 12:29
The Americans over for crew training the Court Line crews on the 1011s were entertaining. A touch and go was called a 'crash and a dash'.

I don't think "TriStar trainer triple alpha" was particularly great RT phraseology either.

LTNman
8th Feb 2017, 20:40
A British Pathe news clip of the worlds highest plane but what is that jet in the foreground?

World's Highest Plane - British Pathé (http://www.britishpathe.com/video/worlds-highest-plane/query/luton)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/napier_zpsipnxxxvq.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/napier_zpsipnxxxvq.jpg.html)

noflynomore
8th Feb 2017, 21:22
It's an Avro Ashton. 6 built using Tudor fuselages and intended as a research programme I understand. 4 Nenes.

Haraka
9th Feb 2017, 04:31
Indeed. Two Ashtons were modified by Napiers as test beds.

JEM60
9th Feb 2017, 05:42
I always have fun with my Aviation friends by asking them 'which was the only six engined British jet?'. It was, of course, the Ashton, which at one point had another outboard engine on each wing. It can be seen in this guise in the film 'Cone of Silence'. I believe that the cockpit section of this aircraft is in Newark Museum???.

DaveReidUK
9th Feb 2017, 07:27
I always have fun with my Aviation friends by asking them 'which was the only six engined British jet?'. It was, of course, the Ashton, which at one point had another outboard engine on each wing. It can be seen in this guise in the film 'Cone of Silence'. I believe that the cockpit section of this aircraft is in Newark Museum???.

Not quite.

Newark's Ashton is the forward fuselage of the one (Ashton Mk.2 WB491) that had a fuselage-mounted ventral test pod used, at various times, for testing the Sapphire, Avon and Conway.

http://planesandchoppers.com.s3.amazonaws.com/8808.jpg

It was Ashton Mk.3 WB493 (no longer extant) that was used for the Olympus/Orpheus trials:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4043/4197061187_273e86cc9c.jpg

compton3bravo
9th Feb 2017, 07:34
If you want to know more about Saggitair try Propliner magazine 122 it has full details and also about its founder Steve Quinto - a very interesting character!

noflynomore
9th Feb 2017, 16:53
As few of us have access to Propliner can anyone who has perhaps scan this and post it?

JEM60
9th Feb 2017, 18:58
Manythanks Dave R. Regards.

Buster the Bear
11th Feb 2017, 14:36
As there is snow about, time for a BAC 1-11 image.

http://i63.tinypic.com/femfd4.jpg

Buster the Bear
11th Feb 2017, 14:38
http://i68.tinypic.com/votxdk.jpg

wallp
11th Feb 2017, 15:26
As there is snow about, time for a BAC 1-11 image.

I can't figure out where this 1-11 is parked?

LTNman
11th Feb 2017, 16:23
I was just thinking that as well. Zooming in to behind the engine there are telegraph poles and a building I don't recognize. I will have to have a dig around my photo collection to see it I can line up the 1-11 nose background.

vintage ATCO
11th Feb 2017, 16:55
That is not Luton.

ZeBedie
11th Feb 2017, 21:15
Could it be Stansted?

The Member
11th Feb 2017, 21:27
Lasham me thinks!

dixi188
12th Feb 2017, 09:01
Three 1-11s in the photo.
Could be Lasham with aircraft stored for the winter.
Or maybe Manchester.

squeaker
17th Feb 2017, 21:13
It could be Luton. There are no hub caps on that mini...

WHBM
17th Feb 2017, 22:40
So which U.K. airlines flew the Tristar, who was the last and when did the last Tristar leave the U.K. register? Possibly not the last G- reg, but the final Caledonian operation was 31 October 1999, when the fleet was withdrawn.

It was a Sunday. It was also the end of the autumn half term holiday, and wrapping up day for the holiday operators. No little Miss WHBM, or even Mrs WHBM :) at the time, but the lady of the era was a schoolteacher, so we needed those holidays as well. So you can imagine the scene at Faro airport departures on that Sunday afternoon.

We were on a brand new (at the time) Sabre 737-800 to Gatwick. But out on the ramp was a Caledonian L1011, stuck AOG. The handling agent had probably disposed of their Lockheed spares with them going out of service, and so they were waiting and waiting - for the relevant parts to come out from Gatwick on a subsequent flight. By the time we got to Gatwick, on time, the Tristar was still up on the board as "delayed". No expected arrival yet.

Monday morning, back in the office. Around lunchtime in comes the Chairman, often one of the first in. With a tale of woe. He had been away for the half term break. To Portugal. With his kids. They had been returning the day before at lunchtime. But the plane "broke down". And so they were stuck in this Portuguese airport for 12 hours. With kids.

If their airworthiness certificates expired at midnight that 31 Oct, there might have been a slight exceedance.

Did I tell where we had departed on time that previous evening ? Absolutely kept quiet.

LTNman
18th Feb 2017, 04:29
Could that 1-11 photo have been taken at Hurn, which was the BAC home of the 1-11? Hurn always struck me as collection of random buildings where cars were often parked by aircraft.

oldandbald
18th Feb 2017, 10:31
The Dan-Air 1-11 , originally posted by "Buster the Bear" is definitely at Luton. If you look at various photos on the web of Britannia Brits. being broken up behind the hangars they tally with the hangar gantry and the offices alongside.

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2017, 12:54
I disagree. The background (in the distance) is all wrong for 'round the back' at Luton and there is a nose of another BAC 1-11 on the left of the shot. I don't recall there being enough depth round there for an aircraft in that position. Besides, G-ATPL was sold abroad to Chile in the 90s, it wasn't broken up so I cannot think why it would be pushed 'round the back'.

DaveReidUK
18th Feb 2017, 16:10
The Dan-Air 1-11 , originally posted by "Buster the Bear" is definitely at Luton. If you look at various photos on the web of Britannia Brits. being broken up behind the hangars they tally with the hangar gantry and the offices alongside.

I agree.

That's the western (landside) corner of the former Court Line hangar in the background.

Here's another view from the airside end a few years previously:

http://aflyinghistory.com/photos/lockheed/constellation/5y-abf/2996-luton-airport-1965.jpg

vintage ATCO
18th Feb 2017, 18:10
Oh yes, I see what you mean. Apologies all. I was working there then but do not recall them putting the BAC1-11s back there. I wonder when the BAC1-11 pic was taken?

Edited to add: I certainly don't remember cars parked there!!

LTNman
18th Feb 2017, 22:25
Never thought about the back of the hangar. Good detective work. Now the question is why were they there?

Wee Clink
18th Feb 2017, 23:53
Oh yes, I see what you mean. Apologies all. I was working there then but do not recall them putting the BAC1-11s back there. I wonder when the BAC1-11 pic was taken?

Edited to add: I certainly don't remember cars parked there!!
There was a subtle change to the Dan Air livery which saw the thin black line at the top of the fin changed to be the same thickness as the black line at the bottom of the fin, and also extended aft onto the rudder.
The earliest photo I can find on the net of G-ATPL in the later variation of this scheme was dated 06/09/71, so the photo must have been taken sometime before then (and after 20/09/69 when Dan Air bought it).

WHBM
19th Feb 2017, 00:47
Now the question is why were they there?The first two Dan-Air One-Elevens came in March 1969, from American Airlines. They were a hurried purchase following the bankruptcy of British Eagle the previous autumn who had a major holiday flight contract with Lunn-Poly out of Heathrow, which Dan-Air had moved quickly to pick up. Unusually for Dan-Air they were not based at Gatwick, but at Luton, where I always thought up to this time they were rare visitors and did not base aircraft there (you others here probably know more on this). G-ATPL joined them in October 1969, after standing a year since the Eagle failure. In those days there was not a lot of winter holiday charter work and it was common for aircraft to be parked for extended periods through the winter.

Dan-Air had their main engineering base at Lasham, of course, and also a substantial base presence at Gatwick. Who looked after them at Luton in their early days there ? Did they set up their own maintenance base ?

thegypsy
19th Feb 2017, 07:09
I had digs for a while in Luton with Ron and Lille. Stockingstone Rd Ron was Dan Air and several Gatwick based Dan Pilots stayed there when operating from Luton on the 1-11.This was in the 70's.

Ron was an ex RAF Master Pilot

compton3bravo
19th Feb 2017, 08:43
If I remember correctly when British Eagle went bust in November 1968 both Britannia and Monarch - which took on several Eagle Britannia's and many ex-Eagle crews - operated the vast majority of ski flights from Luton in early 1969 which should have been flown by Eagle from Heathrow.
When the two ex-American Airlines BAC-111s arrived Dan-Air decided to base them at Luton flying mainly for Lunn-Poly and Everyman Tours. They set up a handling facility at Luton with the ground equipment which included a bicycle and a green Mini van with a 'DAN-AIR LONDON' sticker emblazoned on it (many interesting stories abound about that van).
As regards the AA 1-11s a good friend of mine worked for Dan-Air handling at the time and as he was putting the chocks on to the nose wheel tyres the captain shouted down to him and I quote 'I have never flown such a load of s**t in my life' as the passengers were disembarking down the front passenger steps.
Comets also began to appear at Luton on an ad-hoc basis and Gatwick diversions.

WHBM
19th Feb 2017, 12:07
a green Mini van with a 'DAN-AIR LONDON' sticker emblazoned on it

There's actually a Morris Minor in Dan-Air markings still at Brooklands museum. Here it is. Not sure if it's original or any old Morris just painted up (which would go along with the Dan-Air ethic of "never buy anything new".

OUAQUKGF Ops
19th Feb 2017, 15:13
Court Line performed Ground Handling for Dan Air in the early days of Dan's BAC111 and Comet Operations out of Luton. I can remember the load sheets being produced in Court Line's traffic office by the tower and the occasions when the fuel carried by the Dan Comets certainly exceeded the amount shown on the load sheets.I suppose it was cheaper to tanker up at LTN than elsewhere. Nevertheless the Comets still lifted off the runway with ease often climbing like a rocket.

keepers one
19th Feb 2017, 16:00
Correct Autair ops! Dan Air started their own handling in the spring of 1970.I worked in Traffic then,Stuart Harbottle was the base manager,I think it was John Fox running the engineering at the time.In traffic we had one mini van(green).

compton3bravo
19th Feb 2017, 16:22
Many thanks for putting me right gentlemen.

pppdrive
20th Feb 2017, 04:03
keepers one,
Tried to send you a private message but was advised it is not available to you. I was with Monarch in late 70s-80s but returned to Australia in 1990. Have been trying to contact 2 of the ground staff at Dan Air in those days, a DO Julie B and a Gina D. Paul

LTNman
20th Feb 2017, 05:18
Our Courtline 1-11 flight was changed to a Dan-Air Comet just before our Pontinental Holiday was due to start when Court went bust. As a teenager my main memory was of the shaking and noise of the Comet when it landed back at Luton.

So how did a Comet reverse thrust its enclosed engines that were buried in its wings:confused:

DaveReidUK
20th Feb 2017, 06:48
So how did a Comet reverse thrust its enclosed engines that were buried in its wings

The Comet's thrust reversers (outboard engines only) exhausted through the top of the nacelle, about two-thirds of the way back:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8358/8301410928_cdd7e1e736_c.jpg

LTNman
27th Feb 2017, 07:08
Was this for crew transport? Court also had a HS125 which I assume was for the directors.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/13938327_727428634065160_807931322603847358_o_zpsjobyqe6h.jp g (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/13938327_727428634065160_807931322603847358_o_zpsjobyqe6h.jp g.html)

OUAQUKGF Ops
28th Feb 2017, 08:23
According to Graham Simons 'Colours in the Sky' Navajo G-AYEI was part of the Court Line Executive Fleet - obtained June 1970 disposed of November 1972.
Used for crew positioning and available for charter. Also available for charter HS125 G-AVRG (obtained November 1971) and Bell Jet Ranger G-AXMM (obtained August 1969).

thegypsy
1st Mar 2017, 10:19
I went for an interview for the Court Line HS125 as I was rated on it. I am sure Peter Hogg was one of the interviewing Captains, he of the Lake District!!

treadigraph
1st Mar 2017, 12:16
he of the Lake District!!

Is that a certain incident involving, amongst other things, a nocturnal rowing trip, various books including a copy of James Gilbert's "A Fliers World", and the shallowest part of the deepest lake in England?

no butz
1st Mar 2017, 13:17
Yes quite right - just above the 1-11 nose is Hangar 22 and it's white workshops. Still can't work out what the odd building to the left is though. I photographed Dan-Air 1-11's down the side of Hangar 61 during diversion days - but can't find the pic yet!
(Sorry should have linked to the Dan-Air photo.)

LTNman
1st Mar 2017, 13:51
The building looks like a London Underground train carriage with a shed attached.

LTNman
1st Mar 2017, 14:30
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/1-11_zpsnjqj93w5.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/1-11_zpsnjqj93w5.jpg.html)

This is the closest view I can find but this was taken in 1960

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/1960_zpsfqmfppmy.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/1960_zpsfqmfppmy.jpg.html)

Yes quite right - just above the 1-11 nose is Hangar 22 and it's white workshops.

That hangar and white building can be see in the above photo

no butz
1st Mar 2017, 14:45
Your red line is slightly off LTNman - the hangar and white workshops are on the end of the line of three - ie the road junction of Provost Way and Percival Way. These are Hangars 22, 24, and 26. The odd building may be in the area of the helicopter test pit and may have disappeared when the flight catering building was built

LTNman
1st Mar 2017, 16:35
I wasn't being clear. The red line was pointing at where I thought the unidentifiable building was located. Those telegraph poles are another mystery as the don't appear in any other photo I have.

no butz
1st Mar 2017, 18:41
I've found a photo online but as it's for sale I've not reproduced it here. If you Google 4X-ANU a Navajo - it's parked outside Hangar 62 in 1970 and down the side can be seen the telegraph wires and the odd building again!

LTNman
1st Mar 2017, 19:25
This one then

https://www.airphotographicinternational.com/products/4x-anu-piper-pa31-navajoluton-1970

All very strange, it seems quite tall but whatever the building was it had a short life.

vintage ATCO
2nd Mar 2017, 09:06
This was at a time when the road at the back of the hangars was not public. Prior to gainful employment I use to cycle along there to go round to McAlpines. Sometimes you were tolerated, other times you were told to sling your hook!

Are we talking about what looks like a railway goods wagon? I assume the telegraph lines follow the road so wouldn't the building be the other side of it?

OUAQUKGF Ops
2nd Mar 2017, 09:47
Interesting to see the 1960 aerial shot. When was Autair's Hangar (was it 62) built? Noticeably absent in this photograph.

Would think that Halcyon House now stands in that background area that has been the subject of much debate re Dan Air 111s.

no butz
5th Mar 2017, 09:12
Here is a nice set of photos showing Eagle Aviation Yorks. The good thing about them is the amount of detail written on the back by the photographer, a Mr J H Lewis. Taken on 10th March 1951 with a Kodak Brownie camera they show G-AMGK with wingtips removed to facilitate the move in to the hangar. The final shot is from Percival Way of G-AGNY and just behind is a Proctor G-AHEShttp://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/irisee66/G-AMGK%2010th%20March%201951_zpszljki6hy.jpg (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/irisee66/media/G-AMGK%2010th%20March%201951_zpszljki6hy.jpg.html)

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/irisee66/G-AMGK%2010th%20March%201951%202_zpsvy9allai.jpg (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/irisee66/media/G-AMGK%2010th%20March%201951%202_zpsvy9allai.jpg.html)

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/irisee66/G-AMGK%2010th%20March%201951%203_zpsayeenwem.jpg (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/irisee66/media/G-AMGK%2010th%20March%201951%203_zpsayeenwem.jpg.html)

http://i1262.photobucket.com/albums/ii617/irisee66/G-AGNY%2010th%20March%201951_zps1b889ldh.jpg (http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/irisee66/media/G-AGNY%2010th%20March%201951_zps1b889ldh.jpg.html)

noflynomore
5th Mar 2017, 09:54
Anyone know why or how the Pondarosa (spelling?) came to be so named?

DaveReidUK
5th Mar 2017, 10:21
Anyone know why or how the Pondarosa (spelling?) came to be so named?

Discussed earlier in this thread.

LTNman
5th Mar 2017, 10:25
With 108 pages it would be hard to find. Also I have forgotten as well:O

Falcon666
5th Mar 2017, 10:35
See Page 79 Post 1573-76

DaveReidUK
5th Mar 2017, 11:10
See Page 79 Post 1573-76

The page number depends on your "Posts per Page" setting.

Here's a direct link to the discussion: http://www.pprune.org/aviation-history-nostalgia/527527-luton-history-nostalgia-53.html#post9430614

Falcon666
5th Mar 2017, 11:14
Oops wasn't aware of that DaveReid - sorry
Thought it was a standard setting!

Raymond Dome
5th Mar 2017, 17:13
We were always told it was called the Ponderosa because it was where all the cowboy operators were parked. It was amusing at the time!

vintage ATCO
5th Mar 2017, 19:37
As I have posted before . . .

"There was a western television series called Bonanza which ran from 1959-1973 (in the US I guess, prob a year or two later here) where the Cartwright family lived on a ranch called Ponderosa. The land attached to this (mythical) ranch was enormous and when someone saw stand 16/17 after it had been first laid associated it with that. Bloody stupid name that I always refused to use."

LTNman
10th Mar 2017, 14:45
I have no idea if this was a regular event but I assume this a Vauxhall from the Luton plant going for export. I have no idea of the year either.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/15016336_1705592729759162_1504850648000317622_o_zpswvhk4y7g. jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/15016336_1705592729759162_1504850648000317622_o_zpswvhk4y7g. jpg.html)

oftenflylo
10th Mar 2017, 17:31
a daily schedule with vegetables from Eire to UK

India Four Two
10th Mar 2017, 23:02
LTNman,

You inspired a nostalgia trip. I learned to drive on a Vauxhall Victor (359 RPF - sad, I know!). However, it didn't look quite like the one in your picture.

A bit of research determined that my Dad had a Series II Victor, which was introduced in 1959. The Series I was introduced in 1957, but the Estate in your picture didn't come along until 1958, so I think that narrows down the date. :)

It never occurred to me that cars would be backed into the Freighter. Did Silver City load the same way at Lydd and Le Touquet?

PS How did we survive back in those days? No seat belts, no air bags, no crumple zones, steering columns like a spear aimed at your chest and, as Road and Track put it, dashboards "with safety by Gillette"!

vintage ATCO
11th Mar 2017, 06:49
The Bristol Frightener crawls into the sky off Luton's NW runway (31?), 1950s.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/Luton%20Airport%2050s%20lcm.jpg

It is said it got airborne one day with the Airport Commandant's (Eric Rushton) scottie dog on board and had to return . . . . . Maybe ;-)

Allan Lupton
11th Mar 2017, 07:43
It never occurred to me that cars would be backed into the Freighter. Did Silver City load the same way at Lydd and Le Touquet?

Silver City loaded cars driving forwards and backed out when I used 'em.
As this shows, their ramp was rather smaller:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Loading_the_Jag%2C_1960_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1279923.jpg

I have seen photos of backing in as well.

noflynomore
11th Mar 2017, 09:26
Unlikely that Victor was for export unless the Freighter was heading for Sweden, the only other RHD country in Europe at the time.

Who drove the cars into the aircraft, owner or staff?

HZ123
11th Mar 2017, 10:00
One of the early 007 films has Bonds' DB5 being loaded at SEN, though the a/c was I believe a Carvair? What suprises me is that the operation was presumable profitable. The Carvair boasted a ladder up to the flight deck and if my memory serves me well there was no safety rail preventing you from falling onto the car deck. Lastly as a PC one dark and misty night at STN I arrested 2 males syphoning fuel from a Carvair. Apologies for going off piste. A ground handler drove the car on.

oftenflylo
11th Mar 2017, 10:09
there was a Vauxhall contract with BKS to deliver cars to Ireland/ vegetables for the London market came on the return.
I suspect the picture seen is a Vauxhall advertising example.

GotTheTshirt
11th Mar 2017, 14:32
Great Site !!

I can tell you that the Bristol Freighters at Lydd were loaded by the airline crew!.
You arrived at Lydd and parked in the car park. Then you waited in a lounge that viewed the apron and watched them load your car. Then they loaded passengers in the upper deck and the procedure was repeated in Le Touquet !
Came to Luton in 61 with Autair’s only aircraft a DC3 G-AJIC
Lived in the flying club and rate included full Engish cooked by Ma Battle complete with headscarf and Cigarette !!
Autair had the contract to maintain and operate the King of Libya’s royal flight in Benghazi with 2 Lear Jets.
I ran the maintenance side there and the Bristol Freighter trip was when I bought a new Ford Cortina Estate and drove from Luton to Behghazi !!:O

TCAS FAN
11th Mar 2017, 19:31
GotTheTshirt

The only upper deck on the Bristol Freighter was the cockpit. The PAX sat in a cabin behind the cars.

LTNman
11th Mar 2017, 20:22
Did the Carvair have an upper deck for passengers?

Talkdownman
11th Mar 2017, 20:36
Who drove the cars into the aircraft, owner or staff?Well, at Ferryfield it was Silver City staff. I remember my father reluctantly handing over the key to his precious Standard Vanguard.

Allan Lupton
11th Mar 2017, 22:51
Yes, staff as the clearances could be a bit tight and it was a job for the trained professional. They did like the sporty exhaust note of my Lea-Francis even for the few score yards to the ramp!

LTNman
12th Mar 2017, 07:22
After doing a bit of Googling there didn't seem to be a standard car ramp for the Bristol Freighter and it was down to the airline or airport to come up with their own arrangement. The one used at Luton on the last page seems unique to Luton and looks to be made out of Meccano.

Here is another design but there seems to be many others.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/bf_zpseolghpec.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/bf_zpseolghpec.jpg.html)

TCAS FAN
12th Mar 2017, 07:39
LTNman

No, cockpit crew upstairs, PAX down the back.

DaveReidUK
12th Mar 2017, 08:11
No, cockpit crew upstairs, PAX down the back.
http://cdn.revistavanityfair.es/uploads/images/thumbs/201323/cartel_promocional_de_carvair_1933_622x466.jpg

Interesting that SOP for loading cars seems to have been a scissor-lift rather than the ramp used for the Freighter, presumably because of the Carvair's greater height.

LTNman
12th Mar 2017, 08:38
Photos of the seating arrangement on a Carvair seem quite rare but I have found this one. I like the luggage bins behind the rear seats.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/bf_zpszhiuw7tq.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/bf_zpszhiuw7tq.jpg.html)

GotTheTshirt
12th Mar 2017, 09:26
TCAS fan- yes sorry down stairs looking at the cars - my copilot reminded me !!

Does anyone remember the date when the Dan Air Comet overshot and ended on the grass at the the end on the Vauxhall end of the Runway ??

Also the Overbury John ?) that was killed on the test flight - his wife Elizabeth, flew for Autair

spekesoftly
12th Mar 2017, 12:04
The one used at Luton on the last page seems unique to Luton and looks to be made out of Meccano.

Or made out of its big brother - Dexion.

noflynomore
12th Mar 2017, 13:15
Were the cars weighed or did they use standard weights - presumably including a bootfull of luggage?

Allan Lupton
12th Mar 2017, 14:54
Were the cars weighed or did they use standard weights - presumably including a bootfull of luggage?
I don't remember the car being weighed, but then I don't remember any reference list of standard weights being available.
The shipping companies did have a list of overall lengths to stop you declaring an unrealisticly short car (as they charged by length). Stood me in good stead when I found that the length of the Daimler SP250 quoted was without the optional front bumper which both the examples I used for holidays were fitted with.

vintage ATCO
12th Mar 2017, 15:32
Does anyone remember the date when the Dan Air Comet overshot and ended on the grass at the the end on the Vauxhall end of the Runway ??

Also the Overbury John ?) that was killed on the test flight - his wife Elizabeth, flew for Autair I was on duty in the tower when the Comet slid off the end but I cannot remember the date. It occurred one evening. The runway was blocked until the next day.

John Overbury was killed on 16 Nov 1960 when Jet Provost T.2 G-AOUS disintegrated in mid-air over Langford Common, Biggleswade. I knew Elizabeth.

Wee Clink
12th Mar 2017, 15:37
there was a Vauxhall contract with BKS to deliver cars to Ireland/ vegetables for the London market came on the return.
I suspect the picture seen is a Vauxhall advertising example.
In Arthur Whitlock's excellent book Behind the Cockpit Door, he recounts a number of stories during his time with BKS flying the Bristol Freighter - a couple of these were about the contract flying Vauxhall cars from Luton to Belfast. Apparently the heating system in the Freighter was very temperamental, and during the Winter months pilots often had to endure hours of freezing temperatures when the heater could not be persuaded to work. One of the pilots then hit upon the idea of using the cars they were transporting to keep warm, so they took turns to climb down from the cockpit and sit in one of the cars with the engine running and heater on full blast. Apparently the draught in the Freighters cabin soon dispersed the car exhaust fumes !

Dunno how they kept warm on the return leg to Luton though with a cargo of vegetables......

oldandbald
12th Mar 2017, 17:46
Like Vintage ATCO (Vintage as well!) I cannot put a date on the Comet incident. However if my memory serves me correct it was ‘DD which subsequently managed an overrun at Newcastle. I did however have the interesting task of assisting the Airport Director’s secretary (Gloria) in transcribing the R/T from the reel to reel tape. Director then was C.K. Cole ‘64-’70 and his office was in the corner of the Terminal. Anyway the transcript was interesting as the language from the Captain was quite choice. When instructed to 180 and backtrack there was an immediate response of “I’m off the ***** end and I’m **** sinking “etc. Embarrassment by me “the junior” and Gloria as how to type this out. Just after the incident I was Tower controller and whilst efforts were made to remove the Comet we were given the OK to depart traffic from 08 away from the Comet. However as I departed a Monarch Brit. close to the site one of the inflatable bags being used that had been sent up from Heathrow deflated and they had to start again. I too would be interested to know the date.

LTNman
12th Mar 2017, 18:14
I can't find any mention on the internet of a comet coming off the runway at Luton. I guess it was classed as a minor incident and has slipped though the "Net"

compton3bravo
13th Mar 2017, 08:01
Regarding the Bristol Freighter could I recommend the excellent Air-Britain book on the said machine. It contains some excellent photographs and line drawings of the ramps etc. The book is not cheap but personally it is well worth the outlay.

vintage ATCO
13th Mar 2017, 08:43
I seem to remember the Comet was G-APDD now. Dan Air acquired it in Mar 1971 and it was PWFU in Apr 1973. The accident occurred during light snow fall (which may or may not have had something to do with the overrun := ) so it was either winter 71/72 or 72/73; I would suggest the latter. MGC was also there.

DaveReidUK
13th Mar 2017, 11:42
I can confirm that there's no mention of the LTN incident in the CAA's annual Aircraft Accidents publications for 1971, 1972 or 1973, though there's an entry for the same aircraft's nosewheel collapse at Salzburg in August 1972 on what turned out to be its last commercial flight.

vintage ATCO
13th Mar 2017, 17:42
1971/72 then. It's not amongst the pile of reports which I have written over the years (sad, I know) so I guess I wasn't actually in a seat at the time (it wasn't me, guv, honest). Shortly before the accident I do remember someone (who shall remain nameless) uttering those immortal words "Doesn't the apron look clean, it's so white . . . " Er . . .

I have all the old ATC Watch Logs in my garage (even sadder . . .), when it's a bit warmer I may go and look.

lotus1
13th Mar 2017, 19:39
I remember a similar incident with another Danair comet with a nose wheel lock up it was diverted to manston must have been around 73/74 where it performed a foam landing remember seeing the clip on nationwide cannot not find it anywhere even on YouTube believe it was comming back from Alicante to gatwick or Luton but divered to manston where it performed a text wheels up landing

DaveReidUK
13th Mar 2017, 21:16
I remember a similar incident with another Danair comet with a nose wheel lock up it was diverted to manston must have been around 73/74 where it performed a foam landing remember seeing the clip on nationwide cannot not find it anywhere even on YouTube believe it was comming back from Alicante to gatwick or Luton but divered to manston where it performed a text wheels up landing

19th May 1972:

http://www.danairremembered.com/files/dan_comet_news.jpg

barry lloyd
13th Mar 2017, 22:31
Re the Carvair. At LPL where we had the Aer Lingus variety, we used standard weights, as declared by the manufacturers (and often in the handbook), and a scissor lift.

treadigraph
14th Mar 2017, 07:48
Alright so long as you aren't loading Auric Goldfinger's Rolls Royce, eh Barry? ;)

GotTheTshirt
14th Mar 2017, 22:19
Can’t remember the date but I was on Court Line crew that night. After he went off the end the airport asked if we could go out with our big tug and help retrieve the Comet. Ourselves Brits and Monarch night crew went out with tugs and equipment.
The aircraft was off the end of the runway up to its axles in mud so we decided that the best bet was to dig a sloping trench back up the concrete. Someone mentioned the power for the runway lights and we were told it was no problem as they were only 24 volt. So we started digging ! After a while some Neddy from the council came out and told us urgently to stop digging as the lamps were 24 volt but the supply cables were several thousand volts with 24 volt transformer in each lamp unit. At that point we all decided that the lifting bags from Heathrow were a much better idea !:}

We also had an Ambassador and a Tristar go off that end and I was involved in their retrievals. The Ambassador just over shot like the Comet and the Tristar went off the side of the Turning circle trying to backtrack.

LTNman
14th Mar 2017, 22:37
With reference to the seating photo of the Carvair on the last page it seems that the Carvair seating started where the DC-4 seating ended. Extra square windows were put in on an aircraft with round windows.

barry lloyd
14th Mar 2017, 22:59
Alright so long as you aren't loading Auric Goldfinger's Rolls Royce, eh Barry?

Funny you should mention that. In those days we did put quite a few Rollers on the car ferry. Come to think of it, I seem to remember seeing a gold-coloured one...:hmm:

YVRLTN
24th Mar 2017, 01:42
Does anyone have a photo of City Airbus Do288, would be mid 90's I guess

vintage ATCO
28th Mar 2017, 08:57
N766PA, 25 July 1971, Britannia Airways sub-charter.

I am told I was on Tower when it landed but I don't remember!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e123/stevelevien/PPRuNe%20Pics/Pan%20Am%2025Jul1971.jpg

thegypsy
28th Mar 2017, 09:48
Having gone onto B707-320C some years later myself than that picture and knowing Luton well there must have been some interesting landings there under certain weather conditions! No automatic speed brakes and outer pods near the ground.

rog747
28th Mar 2017, 10:11
BY leased G-AYSL from World AW therefore the Pan Am 707 sub lease maybe due to Worlds' involvement to supply another a/c?

G-AYEX was lsf BCAL

LTNman
28th Mar 2017, 18:06
Wasn't there a story going around that the runway was somewhat shorter than the crew was expecting?

vintage ATCO
28th Mar 2017, 18:21
Haven't heard that and don't see how it could be when everything is published.

keepers one
29th Mar 2017, 08:37
Seem to remember this was a Dan -Air sub charter.I was in ops Luton at the time and we doubled up a couple of 1-11 loads.Pan Am had the only availability at the time,I think the destination was one of the Italian south east airports.....although perhaps BY subbed PA as well?

Level bust
29th Mar 2017, 11:27
According to my records, I think there may have been 2 Pan Am 707s that visited. The one shown in 1971 and N705PA visited on the 29th October 1975.

There was also a Pan Am B727 in March 1973, which was a Court Line sub-charter, following one of the Tristars bursting several of it's tyres on landing somewhere in Spain I think.

At one point there was a tape of ther arrival going the rounds. certainly Vintage ATCO was on it along with John Russell and Paul Donahue.

YVRLTN
8th Apr 2017, 04:07
What years did Eurocypria operate? They must have been one of the first regular A320 operators at LTN

Liffy 1M
8th Apr 2017, 16:22
According to my records, I think there may have been 2 Pan Am 707s that visited. The one shown in 1971 and N705PA visited on the 29th October 1975.

In October 1975 N705PA was being operated by Aeroamerica, according to this page: OldJets spotted (http://oldjets.net/index_bestanden/Page5216.htm)

LTNman
8th Apr 2017, 17:46
What years did Eurocypria operate? They must have been one of the first regular A320 operators at LTN

I took this on March 20th 2003
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/03200002_zpsm3clkv6v.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/03200002_zpsm3clkv6v.jpg.html)

Gibair
8th Apr 2017, 18:27
There was also a Pan Am B727 in March 1973, which was a Court Line sub-charter, following one of the Tristars bursting several of it's tyres on landing somewhere in Spain I think.

Pink Tristar "Halcyon Breeze" burst tyres on take off at Ibiza - 14yo me on board. Thrilling. :ok:

boeing_eng
9th Apr 2017, 21:56
Eurocypria started to operate regularly with the A320's in the Spring of 1992. In those days the Cypriots only allowed London charters to operate from LTN which provided some interesting traffic over the years.

When the fleet swapped to the 737-800's in 2002/3 the rules had been relaxed and those were less common in LTN

cj241101
10th Apr 2017, 16:40
Eurocypria started to operate regularly with the A320's in the Spring of 1992. In those days the Cypriots only allowed London charters to operate from LTN which provided some interesting traffic over the years.

Cyprus Airways used their A320's and A310's several times a week 1989-1992.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/5B-DAV20Luton20051290_zpssfiv9ihp.jpg~original
5B-DAV 5/12/90

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/5B-DAR20Luton20080890_zpsnkxn11fl.jpg~original
5B-DAR 8/8/90

EuroCypria used A320's before their 737-800's arrived.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/5B-DBB20Luton20030193_zpskazyhro5.jpg~original
5B-DBB 3/1/93

LTNman
10th Apr 2017, 19:50
Can anyone remember the year that the last light aircraft moved out of Luton? Also when did the Luton Flying Club lose its last Luton based aircraft? Seem to remember they might have moved to RAF Henlow but I could be wrong there.

cj241101
10th Apr 2017, 20:20
Can anyone remember the year that the last light aircraft moved out of Luton? Also when did the Luton Flying Club lose its last Luton based aircraft? Seem to remember they might have moved to RAF Henlow but I could be wrong there.

Thomson (Britannia) flying club moved to Cranfield first half of 2006. Think the Luton Flying Club had already gone to Henlow by then but they don't seem to have lasted long afterwards.

boeing_eng
10th Apr 2017, 22:12
Talking about light aircraft at LTN...... the fairly assertive character who used to fly a trainer (Hawk Aero?) was quite amusing to listen to! I recall on several occasions hearing him trying it on to nip in before an inbound airliner only to be rebuffed by ATC! :D

YVRLTN
11th Apr 2017, 02:06
Never realized Air UK Leisure operated to LTN... was it a one off of did they do a series in 93?

cj241101
11th Apr 2017, 09:16
Air UK Leisure had a Salzburg series on a Sunday W92/93, up until 28/2/93. They also did a number of MOD flights that winter, presumably in connection with the 1st Gulf War. The day of the photo (3/1/93) was a Sunday which also brought in a number of Stansted diversions, including G-UKLA and G-UKLF. The aircraft in the background was most likely the SZG flight which was G-UKLG.

cj241101
11th Apr 2017, 09:17
Talking about light aircraft at LTN...... the fairly assertive character who used to fly a trainer (Hawk Aero?) was quite amusing to listen to! I recall on several occasions hearing him trying it on to nip in before an inbound airliner only to be rebuffed by ATC! :D

"Hawk Aero zero one" if I remember correctly. Was it the TB-20 G-OTUI that used this callsign?

boeing_eng
11th Apr 2017, 10:53
No definitely not G-OTUI or any of the BAL Club aircraft.

Level bust
11th Apr 2017, 12:33
Luton Flying Club, or Luton Flight Training as it was known as at the time didn't move to Henlow, it was closed down.

One of the ex instructors started Luton Aero Club with one Cessna 152 after LFT closed but it was made too difficult by the Airport to make a go of it.

cj241101
11th Apr 2017, 18:24
No definitely not G-OTUI or any of the BAL Club aircraft.

G-SBKR a TB-10 rings a bell now. Operated by Eagle Flight Training mid-2000's. Still had the German flag on the tail from its previous incarnation D-EAGG. Anyone confirm?

Luton Anorak
11th Apr 2017, 20:31
G-SBKR a TB-10 rings a bell now. Operated by Eagle Flight Training mid-2000's. Still had the German flag on the tail from its previous incarnation D-EAGG. Anyone confirm?

My records show that G-SBKR was based at Luton from 30th April 2004 until 21st October 2006 registered to S.C.M. Bagley - also based was G-LAZL a Piper PA-28-161 Cherokee Warrior registered to S.C.M. Bagley & K.J. Amies trading as Hawk Aero Leasing - this departed Luton 26th July 2005.

22/04
11th Apr 2017, 21:12
Think Hawk Air were still operating out of Cranfield until recently but have now moved on to either Little Staughton or Turweston

cj241101
14th Apr 2017, 13:10
Whilst on the subject of the Flying Club, does anyone have any recollections - or even better, photos - of their original Cessna 150's in the revised schemes (with larger registrations on the fuselage, replacing the smaller ones on the tail) adopted around 1968? The only photo online is of G-ASUE in a light brown scheme:- https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1149305. I remember G-ARZF painted overall maroon; G-ASVF I think was a brighter red, with the fuselage dumped near the Britannia social club around 1977.
Any help welcome (for my flightsim project which is still ongoing).

LTNman
17th Apr 2017, 21:24
What is this then? Seems like one of McAlpine's more exotic aircraft.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/16252225_812806578860698_3186739826003814156_o_zpsrztsbg6i.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/16252225_812806578860698_3186739826003814156_o_zpsrztsbg6i.j pg.html)

DaveReidUK
17th Apr 2017, 21:46
What is this then? Seems like one of McAlpine's more exotic aircraft.

Sister ship (G-ASPC) of the one you wrote about in this post:

The wing and engine seen in the foreground belongs to a Piaggio P-166 and was owned by McAlpine. I have never heard of a Piaggio P-166 but here is a photo of it taken at Luton with its rear facing engines. Piaggio P-166, G-APWY, Sir Robert McAlpine and Sons Ltd

LTNman
18th Apr 2017, 06:42
I blame my old age and that I now start to forget more things than I remember:eek:

Here is another couple of photos from the same Vauxhall publicity shoot but with these two I am struggling to line up the location.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/16252408_812806748860681_3373041906539587201_o_zpsdn3ayg0u.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/16252408_812806748860681_3373041906539587201_o_zpsdn3ayg0u.j pg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/16179060_812806838860672_5449973572148381457_o_zpsaghbw1dt.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/16179060_812806838860672_5449973572148381457_o_zpsaghbw1dt.j pg.html)

boeing_eng
18th Apr 2017, 10:53
Two fine examples of Vauxhall ironmongery!

It looks like the Fire Station area!

22/04
18th Apr 2017, 15:04
Second Aztec shot Northeast corner of what was then McAlpine's apron before the Pond was built - from the Hangar side looking towards what is now taxiway Alpha with the runway line in the back background. Is the fence on the left the old spectators car park?

First shot looking southwest on the same apron?

What a rural place Luton was in 1967/68.

22/04
18th Apr 2017, 15:06
And those Luton registrations- XE and XD

DaveReidUK
18th Apr 2017, 16:09
And those Luton registrations- XE and XD

At the date those photos were taken, yes.

dixi188
18th Apr 2017, 18:38
Is that aircraft behind the P166 a YS11? The windscreens look too small for a 748.

vintage ATCO
18th Apr 2017, 19:15
It's a Martinair Convair 640. The pic was taken in 1967, the year I started work there.

dixi188
18th Apr 2017, 20:08
I should have known it was a Convair 640. I remember seeing them in Amsterdam on a school trip in 1966, along with a lot of other now rare types.

cj241101
18th Apr 2017, 20:39
Extract from the 1967 Luton Airport guidebook. I suspect the service was shortlived, with the "Piper Twinair" logo disappearing by the end of the year.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/Piper%20Twinair_zpstcaj679m.jpeg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/colin_jones5/media/Piper%20Twinair_zpstcaj679m.jpeg.html)

cj241101
19th Apr 2017, 09:20
Second Aztec shot Northeast corner of what was then McAlpine's apron before the Pond was built - from the Hangar side looking towards what is now taxiway Alpha with the runway line in the back background. Is the fence on the left the old spectators car park?

22/04, yes, I think you are correct. Some time late in 1967 - I think - the grass area between the terminal and the taxiway was fenced off and designated a spectator car park. The fence was one of those roll up wooden stake types which fits the appearance of the one in the background. There is an aerial shot somewhere on this thread which shows the car park very well - I will try and locate it.

found it, not sure who to credit it to originally
http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah165/colin_jones5/Luton%20c1967_zpsbts3xaee.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/colin_jones5/media/Luton%20c1967_zpsbts3xaee.jpg.html)

compton3bravo
19th Apr 2017, 20:00
Talking of Air UK Leisure I wonder if Vintage ATCO or any other people who worked in ATC can remember when one of their B737s was about to park on Stand 9L and just stopped in time when it was about to hit the fence with dear Dave Gearing bellowing on the mike to stop. Fortunately it did. This incident occurred on a summer evening.
Regarding Cyprus Airways Luton was the designated diversion airport when they could not land at Heathrow. I remember seeing the odd B707 at Luton during the 1970s when Heathrow was fogbound.

LTNman
19th Apr 2017, 20:24
Don't think there was a stand 9L in those days but just a stand 9.

compton3bravo
20th Apr 2017, 06:49
Thank you LTNman for correcting me.

noflynomore
20th Apr 2017, 10:15
Seems an extraordinary juxtaposition, a glamorous exec aircraft and that ghastly old nail of a Viva, of all things! Perhaps it was intended as ironic?

Snarlingdog
25th Apr 2017, 12:40
As a newcomer here, it's great to read some of Luton's history in these threads. In the early 70's as a small boy from Romford I used to peer through the chain link fences of this and all the London Airports, spending all day on the roof at Gatwick or Heathrow (They were mostly just 'boring' old BAC 1-11s or Tridents back then!)

Now I'm working in the orange world at Hangar 89, I wonder if anyone has any history, pictures or trivia on the Hangar? Nobutz posted some fascinating photos of the BCal 707 with the hangar half built in the backdrop on p64 but I wonder if there are any more out there......

LynxDriver
26th Apr 2017, 01:32
Been looking through some old photos I've taken at Luton over the years. I believe I photographed this Britannia Boeing 767-205ER still wearing its Varig livery towards the end of 1987.

http://i63.tinypic.com/144205f.jpg

LTNman
26th Apr 2017, 05:28
Wikipedia reports the hangar was built in 1974 which is incorrect as it was being built in 1969.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/h89_zpsbgojbyzp.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/h89_zpsbgojbyzp.jpg.html)

unstirred
6th May 2017, 09:23
I'm doing an engineering degree and studying the Taxiway Alpha underpass at LLA. Does anyone have any images of it during the build in 1997, any plans/details or suggestions where I could find them?

YVRLTN
6th May 2017, 18:26
What happened to Magec Aviation?

LTNman
6th May 2017, 18:34
I'm doing an engineering degree and studying the Taxiway Alpha underpass at LLA. Does anyone have any images of it during the build in 1997, any plans/details or suggestions where I could find them?

Bridge was built in two halves to allow the taxiway above to remain open. The taxiway in the photo below was the temporary taxiway.

Looking at the roof of the tunnel today shows that the roof was poured on what looks like panels of boarding as the uneven edges can still be seen.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/RIB-070476a_zpsmd03ykey.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/RIB-070476a_zpsmd03ykey.jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/IMG_0027_zpspgkl7m1c.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/IMG_0027_zpspgkl7m1c.jpg.html)

LTNman
6th May 2017, 18:41
What happened to Magec Aviation?

I think this was the order as each in turn was sold.

McAlpine- Magec- Lynton-Signature

unstirred
7th May 2017, 16:06
Bridge was built in two halves to allow the taxiway above to remain open. The taxiway in the photo below was the temporary taxiway.

Looking at the roof of the tunnel today shows that the roof was poured on what looks like panels of boarding as the uneven edges can still be seen.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/RIB-070476a_zpsmd03ykey.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/RIB-070476a_zpsmd03ykey.jpg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/IMG_0027_zpspgkl7m1c.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/IMG_0027_zpspgkl7m1c.jpg.html)

Thank you very much LTNMan. It has been due to the kindness of strangers like yourself I am able to piece together the construction method as BAM Nuttall couldn't help me, LLA wouldn't help me and LBC would...for £75 ph! At times I have been :ugh:!

Snarlingdog
11th May 2017, 10:44
Judging by all the aerial photographs, there appears to be at least two hangars still standing from the early days of Luton.

If my photo posting skills work, there will be two photos below of different eras. The one circled blue is along Percival way and now a vehicle maintenance workshop. Another one is the arched hangar (circled red) opposite the easyJet academy on Prince Way. I've also got earlier pictures from the 30's I think showing the hangars being built.

It's interesting that they are still standing - does anyone know if they were of any significance or were they just plain old hangars?

LTNman
11th May 2017, 20:12
March 9th 2006. Luton had seen a BA 747 before but I think this was the only 400 to arrive at Luton. This 747 parked on the eastern apron.

http://i67.tinypic.com/33zbvdk.jpg

compton3bravo
15th May 2017, 16:54
Yes the only 400 I can remember. It arrived from Los Angeles and the passengers were disembarked and coached to Heathrow, the aircraft being positioned to Heathrow some time later. I think it diverted because it was very low on fuel.

LTNman
15th May 2017, 18:11
Taken at Luton but what is the aircraft type? Are they really landing lights in the nose?

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/14900443_10207495427799025_1564009943705679669_n_zpsgv4codhn .jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/14900443_10207495427799025_1564009943705679669_n_zpsgv4codhn .jpg.html)

OUAQUKGF Ops
15th May 2017, 18:40
Airspeed Ambassador without a doubt. Possibly test bed aircraft for Napier Elan or Bristol Proteus Engines but livery a bit of a mystery.

oftenflylo
15th May 2017, 18:41
Ambassador

LTNman
16th May 2017, 05:16
Judging by all the aerial photographs, there appears to be at least two hangars still standing from the early days of Luton.

If my photo posting skills work, there will be two photos below of different eras. The one circled blue is along Percival way and now a vehicle maintenance workshop. Another one is the arched hangar (circled red) opposite the easyJet academy on Prince Way. I've also got earlier pictures from the 30's I think showing the hangars being built.

It's interesting that they are still standing - does anyone know if they were of any significance or were they just plain old hangars?

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/blister_zpsqy56ohho.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/blister_zpsqy56ohho.jpg.html)

I don't know who the red circled hangar was built for it was not there in 1946 so I think it was erected in the 50's but it seems to be based on a WW2 blister hangar. Its history seems to be associated with helicopters as tenents include Autair Helicopters, Helicopter Services Ltd, Heletech and Trent Helicopters but not in that order.

The hangar is set to be knocked down within the next 2 years.

I will cover the other hangar in another post
http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/15078828_604910263026857_4166114479772648104_n_zpsw7a7ulpj.j pg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/15078828_604910263026857_4166114479772648104_n_zpsw7a7ulpj.j pg.html)

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/blister2_zpsmiezjgno.jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/blister2_zpsmiezjgno.jpg.html)

Snarlingdog
16th May 2017, 07:32
They don't look very happy do they?

OUAQUKGF Ops
16th May 2017, 08:18
Further to the photograph of the Ambassador I've come to the conclusion that it is probably in Autair livery - difficult to tell from a black and white photo. LTNman any dates or clues on the photo? I can't remember if the inner nacelles were painted or not on Autair's aircraft. (A bit later) Inner nacelles not painted so pretty sure it's an Autair Ambassador.

LTNman
16th May 2017, 08:43
No idea about the date but the photo is unusual as 2 of the 3 engineers seem to have an Asian heritage which in the 60's would have been quite rare as Luton was not multicultural in those days. Not even sure the middle engineer looks native English so I wonder if Autair recruited from abroad.

OUAQUKGF Ops
16th May 2017, 11:14
Well judging from the state of their overalls they certainly ain't engineers or even hangar sweepers. Probably just an opportunity for Corporation work mates (Aircraft Toilet Servicing Team?) to have their snap taken in front of an aeroplane. Yes Autair did employ Asian technicians - there was a lovely radio engineer called Raj who could fix anything!

SpringHeeledJack
10th Jun 2017, 11:47
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ydVbn0gMk4

For no other reason than to bump the thread back up and to give a nostalgic smile to those who remember the commercial ;-)

staircase
10th Jun 2017, 14:39
In one of Betty's aeroplanes operating out of Gib when this was overheard circa mid seventies;

‘Seville, Britannia 123’ – no answer.

Again ‘Seville, Britannia 123’ – still no answer.

Another voice; ‘Seville there is a Britannia 123 calling’

Seville replies; ‘Ask Britannia his departure point and destination’

‘Britannia, for Seville, what is your departure and destination?’

‘We are climbing out of Tangier, destination Luton’

‘Roger that – Seville he is climbing out of purgatory on wings to Paradise!’

LTNman
10th Jun 2017, 15:34
In the days of Luton's wooden terminal.

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/15129664_1714057322246036_6001064868973709043_o_zpsjfj8rtgr. jpg (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/15129664_1714057322246036_6001064868973709043_o_zpsjfj8rtgr. jpg.html)

LTNman
15th Jun 2017, 04:02
Remembering the days when Virgin opened a second London base at Luton. No 747's here just the Viscount that was eventually replaced by a pair of 727's

http://i1079.photobucket.com/albums/w504/nospamuk1/virgin_zpszxeykkr7.png (http://s1079.photobucket.com/user/nospamuk1/media/virgin_zpszxeykkr7.png.html)

SpringHeeledJack
15th Jun 2017, 05:19
I can just hear the whine of the engines in that photo, ah nostalgia, or is it neuralgia ? Does anyone remember the 'exotic' various 737's that visited LTN for MX with Brittania back in the 70's an 80's ? I'm assuming it was for C/D checks as they seemed to be in the hangar for a good while.

Level bust
15th Jun 2017, 15:19
There were also a lot of exotic 737s that went to Monarch, they had the contract for the Guiness Peat a/c. At the time I believe they were the largest operator of a/c leased out.